PDA

View Full Version : Valve Thread (OR: The Great Hats-for-Food Scandal)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Rutskarn
2009-09-03, 05:51 PM
This is a thread to discuss Valve games, Steam games, Valve games on Steam, Steaming Games of Valve, and like products. These include, and are entirely limited to:

Games purchasable using Steam.

BUT FIRST;

Previous Steamy Threads can be found here.

Orange Box (possible spoilers...eventually)
(http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58949)
Open the release [Valve], let out the [Steam] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97854)

Valve: Weaponized Urine and other strangeness (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112339)

Team Fortress 2 and you. (and by "You" we mean any other game on Steam). (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118059)

How about that Valve and/or Steam, eh? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121135)

These Team Fortress 2 servers are often used by our GitP lads and lasses, among whose numbers are two admins:

http://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/208.167.245.178:27015/b_560x95.png (http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/208.167.245.178:27015/)

Right, now that's sorted out, let the discussion commence.

shadow_archmagi
2009-09-03, 05:55 PM
I call dibs on the next thread.

Phase
2009-09-03, 06:00 PM
Valve we're already to our sixth thread yet we have no Episode Three. We HATE YOU. Valve is EVIL. I'll never buy from them again, until they release their next no doubt high quality product! :smallfurious:

KBF
2009-09-03, 06:02 PM
Wait wait, I was in all of those threads. After a long absence from GitP. That can't be right, you must be missing one.

I guess I have seniority. Someone order me some pizza.

Rutskarn
2009-09-03, 06:06 PM
Wait wait, I was in all of those threads. After a long absence from GitP. That can't be right, you must be missing one.

I guess I have seniority. Someone order me some pizza.

Okay, I'll give you a pizza. In exchange for a hat.

The story advances!

The Dark Fiddler
2009-09-03, 06:08 PM
Hold on, the old thread still had a few posts left.

You're all wasting several valuable posts!

Myatar_Panwar
2009-09-03, 06:11 PM

There was another, simply called the Orange Box thread. The forum wipe must have... wiped it.

Mushroom Ninja
2009-09-03, 06:27 PM
We found servers to play on? When did that happen? Awesome! I've been away too long.

chiasaur11
2009-09-03, 06:34 PM
BINGO!

Found the first thread.

Linked right here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58949)

Fawkes
2009-09-03, 06:54 PM
We need to link the Icewind servers in the OP, too.

Maybe include the IPs of other interesting servers, like Penny Arcade, FuG, or RoFL.

NeoVid
2009-09-03, 07:07 PM
It really should say that this is thread #6 in the title, to rub it in in the faces of the people posting about those less popular games like World of Warcraft.

Anyway, I'll say on the first page that I recommend the server tf.boontex.com since it's both a good server, and because it's based in the UK, which means better ping for members of the group who can't play on 20 Sided.

Volug
2009-09-03, 07:08 PM
I play on Alpha Omega quite often.

My other friends (Deariusibt, Curchant) usually play on 3rd Demension, heard many good things out of that.

The Linker
2009-09-03, 07:16 PM
Well, we don't want to overfill the first post with servers. My suggestion would be to put the d20 servers and the Icewind servers up, and let people know those are the ones with such a GitP presence that we have actual admins there -- if we MUST make a list of 'recommended by our members' servers, I would stick them in a seperate section; a spoiler box, perhaps.

Fawkes
2009-09-03, 07:47 PM
Definitely put the other server IPs in a spoiler box. We only need the banners for d20.

Faulty
2009-09-03, 08:03 PM
Fun fact: halos are visible when you're cloaked.

Worira
2009-09-03, 08:26 PM
That seems to be inconsistent, actually. Some people can see them, some can't.

The Linker
2009-09-03, 08:32 PM
Now, be sure to check and make sure you're not just seeing the halos on cloaked FRIENDLY spies. It's possible that because you can always see their faint outline, being the ally that they are, their halo is fully visible due to a small graphical oversight (I imagine they might have been rushed to develop the nice shiny halo hat and not let this idling fiasco go on much longer).

Now, if you saw a lone halo floating around, blasted it with rockets, and found an enemy Spy now in several travel-sized pieces, yeah, that's a problem. :smalleek:

Fawkes
2009-09-03, 10:38 PM
Good matches on Junction/Turbine/Pipeline today. Fun times were had by all.

Phase got a hat.

Nano
2009-09-03, 10:39 PM
Huzzah. Which?

Fawkes
2009-09-03, 10:45 PM
Professional's Panama.

Is it just me, or did the Sniper kinda get shafted with his hats? I like the Jarate Belt (a lot), but the others aren't much of a change.

The Panama is kind of neat, though. I just wish he had a Pith Helmet.

NeoVid
2009-09-03, 11:02 PM
It's impossible to tell if a Sniper's wearing the Trophy Belt. Not very impressive.

After getting a chance to play with my new glowy thing wired to my character's head, I realized that it would be way better if the halo was a Misc item instead of a hat. I went on a hat mod server, and found out it could be easily seen over any other hat except the Ushanka... and the Soldier looks like a freak without a helmet.

Also, I had the thought that we should get 2 Misc slots. That and hats would make for a really good array of customization options... once there's stuff to go in those slots.

Rutskarn
2009-09-03, 11:31 PM
I'm actually happy that Phase got a hat, and not just because now one of us is not poor and Irish. It's also because I play about as much as he does, so I'm bound to get one soon, right?

...right?

I'm wrong, aren't I.

The Linker
2009-09-03, 11:39 PM
The Soldier has words for all the hatless amongst us.

"If God had wanted you to be happy, he would not have created hats!

Morrandir
2009-09-04, 12:32 AM
Having done a lot of thinking about this situation, I came to a realization.

In my opinion, Team Fortress 2 isn't as fun as it was when it first came out.

I remember halcyon days when getting killed was almost always a hilarious affair. Now it's infuriating to get FaNned, Sandmanned, Dumb Luck Huntsmanned, Leafblower+Axetinguished, et cetera. If a sniper headshotted you, or a spy backstabbed you, it was still kinda fun. It takes some practice to hit those bouncing little hatless heads, and it used to be difficult to sneak behind enemy lines to get to their delicious unprotected spines (Recall that invisiwatches did not recharge with metal back in ye day), so you don't get too mad about it. He deserves to have fun too.

I mean, playing on the official maps, seeing a pyro, and knowing that, as a soldier, you had the upper hand. Or as a scout, you were doomed if you ventured into flamer distance.

Now, you not only need to adjust for their class, but their possible loadout. Against a Backburner pyro, the soldier does indeed still have the upper hand. But if he's a leafblower pyro, soldier is second only to demoman in terms of being a bad choice.

If someone kills you, they're not just better, or sometimes, they weren't even lucky. They had the latest and cheapest weapon available, designed specifically to kill your class when played with your playstyle. Be honest, I know someone else has felt like this at least once.

And, to my knowledge, only the classic cheats were around. Aimbots, speedhacks, and the like. Now, we just lost a program that did nothing but let us maybe possibly get an item. Huge numbers of servers run a map that rewards you for standing in your spawn and getting killed by the environment.

Now, with possible RPG-style weapon unlocks coming out, I'm not looking forward to seeing chat spammed with "TRADING +1 HP PER HIT GRENADE LAUNCHER FOR ALL SNIPER HATS."

KBF
2009-09-04, 12:40 AM
Now, with RPG-style weapon unlocks coming out, I'm not looking forward to seeing chat spammed with "TRADING +1 HP PER HIT GRENADE LAUNCHER FOR ALL SNIPER HATS."

Wait wait, I grudgingly agreed with you up until this point. Even though I wasn't around before the scout update, but still.

What RPG unlocks? This rumor has been around for as long as I have, and I've never seen anything come of it.

Morrandir
2009-09-04, 12:50 AM
To my knowledge, the massive bonuses on the Valve weapons were them testing if said modifiers worked. There was mention from the developers that they were toying with the idea of having random attributes on weapons, like, say, a pistol that had better crit chance, but also increased the damage you'd take from fire. So, there's ups and downs to each weapon, but there's still going to be that guy who lucked out and got something with a tiny bonus, but no penalty. This makes it unquestioningly better than the vanilla version.

And even if not, there's still going to be "KGB FOR SCOUT HATS LOLOLOL" spam.

But, as you said, it's a rumor. Who knows, it might go the way of the overhealer.

Ohh, I forgot the word possible. DERP. Thanks for pointing that out in a roundabout manner.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-09-04, 01:06 AM
To my knowledge, the massive bonuses on the Valve weapons were them testing if said modifiers worked. There was mention from the developers that they were toying with the idea of having random attributes on weapons, like, say, a pistol that had better crit chance, but also increased the damage you'd take from fire. So, there's ups and downs to each weapon, but there's still going to be that guy who lucked out and got something with a tiny bonus, but no penalty. This makes it unquestioningly better than the vanilla version.

And even if not, there's still going to be "KGB FOR SCOUT HATS LOLOLOL" spam.

But, as you said, it's a rumor. Who knows, it might go the way of the overhealer.
Unless those ups and downs are pre-determined. Even so, it takes more work to balance and Valve is not equipped to playtest and tweak code for a game that most of the company has already forgotten about.

It's so bad that pretty everything new they release is somehow buggy or broken. They can't even manage the whole hat thing without pissing off and alienating parts of their fanbase.

And I find it distasteful that their philosophy for improving the game is to make player options unnecessarily florid, because I'm in agreement with the notion that the FaN, Sandman and Huntsmen did a lot to *ruin* the game. The game doesn't need more untested variables.

I have no real problems with axetinguisher as it's not spammable win conditions like those other weapons are. And the FaN and Huntsmen are pretty close to mindless. The Sandman effectively gives the Scout a fire-and-forget sniper shot, although the new health penalty makes it a bit easier to swallow.

And frankly, Valve still hasn't done enough for the Spy class. Mostly because they think upping the decloak noise has a point and that sucking in combat means that your knife has to be absolutely useless as a finisher weapon.

Morrandir
2009-09-04, 01:20 AM
On a happier note, not everyone with the halo is a jerk.
(http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/6161/letsbefriends.jpg)

Worira
2009-09-04, 01:31 AM
Binding move forward to m2 makes for hilarious Pyro action.

Rutskarn
2009-09-04, 01:32 AM

That's the greatest screenshot I've seen in a long time.

revolver kobold
2009-09-04, 01:52 AM
Any recommendations for maps to get for Left4Dead?

Don't mind if they are campaign or VS, or even they are "serious" maps or just ones for screwing around with friends.

Crispy Dave
2009-09-04, 01:54 AM
So guys when I logged in I was told I had been idling and all the items I got were taken away. problem was I never used any external idle program. I don't think this is fair to me. Any suggestions?

Myatar_Panwar
2009-09-04, 01:59 AM
I would like to point out that you are pretty wrong in saying that a soldier is the second worst class to fight a pyro. Seriously way off. As a pyro, I am both excited and terrified to go up against a soldier. Excited to try out my airblasting a little more, and terrified because they do have the upper hand here. They fire rockets faster than you can airblast, and often you have to juggle between shotgun and leafblower, so you cannot always be at the ready.

Edit:
If someone kills you, they're not just better, or sometimes, they weren't even lucky. They had the latest and cheapest weapon available, designed specifically to kill your class when played with your playstyle. Be honest, I know someone else has felt like this at least once.

I can't say I've felt this way. Ever.

Speaking of leafblowing, I had an awesome moment as pyro this evening. We were on the attack on badlands, with only the last point left to cap. I rush the cap from the back ground entrance, and I see three enemies. A demo, a medic, and a sniper I believe. I gush flame and airblast them all back against the wall. Apparently the demo had unleashed a couple pipebombs in that small amount of time, and they went back with them. Two of them died instantly to the bombs, while the last burned out less than a second later. So awesome, and I think my first multi-reflection kill.

NeoVid
2009-09-04, 02:12 AM
So guys when I logged in I was told I had been idling and all the items I got were taken away. problem was I never used any external idle program. I don't think this is fair to me. Any suggestions?

Valve says on their forums that anyone who got hit with wrongful deletions can get their items back. I didn't look at how, since mine are fine.

Unless those ups and downs are pre-determined. Even so, it takes more work to balance and Valve is not equipped to playtest and tweak code for a game that most of the company has already forgotten about.

Fortunately, the game has playtesters now.

Alleine
2009-09-04, 02:23 AM

Oh gods, I'm saving that forever.
I still want a damn hat

So I just discovered that there's a setting that makes you auto-reload. My goodness how did I ever live without it?! No more forgetting to reload only to find that you're up the creek without a paddle. By which I mean dead.

Morrandir
2009-09-04, 02:25 AM
Just a heads-up, it's very bad if you play Spy. Can't see a thing when you reload either revolver.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-09-04, 02:29 AM
Does it just reload immediately after a few seconds on non-firing or something?

Morrandir
2009-09-04, 02:37 AM
As soon as it's able to reload, if the gun's not topped off, it reloads. Nice for things like the shotgun, rocket launcher, grenade launcher, etc.

Jibar
2009-09-04, 02:42 AM

I love it.

Alleine
2009-09-04, 02:44 AM
Just a heads-up, it's very bad if you play Spy. Can't see a thing when you reload either revolver.

Well thats fine, spy is my least played class I think.

NeoVid
2009-09-04, 04:22 AM
So I just discovered that there's a setting that makes you auto-reload. My goodness how did I ever live without it?! No more forgetting to reload only to find that you're up the creek without a paddle. By which I mean dead.

Where's that setting? In with the autozoom/single-click medigun checkboxes?

Thanatos 51-50
2009-09-04, 04:33 AM
I think the hatless soldier looks pretty coo'.

So - yeah, I'm now totally not even miffed by the great anti-idler maneuver. Except for the ex-post-facto bit, and even that's mostly a mild annoyance.

Player_Zero
2009-09-04, 06:17 AM
You know what's hilarious? Spies wearing the halo still show the glow when cloaked.

shadow_archmagi
2009-09-04, 06:29 AM
You know what's hilarious? Spies wearing the halo still show the glow when cloaked.

Oh god. Whoa.

I...

I could've sworn I JUST saw a post like that.

I must be losing it.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-09-04, 07:05 AM
It's, uh - shown up a few times already.
Redundant Zero is being redundant there.
Intetionally, I think.

shadow_archmagi
2009-09-04, 08:33 AM
It's, uh - shown up a few times already.
Redundant Zero is being redundant there.
Intetionally, I think.

Oh. I see.

So, recently, me and rutskarn and some other cool people whose names couldn't fit in my head right now because my cool stockpile can't contain that much. (what a clever way to say I've forgotten about you entirely. Ho ho ho.)

Where was I going with this? My train of thought has gone off the rails of lucidity and crashed past the "BRIDGE OUT" sign of logic and gone plummeting down into Tangent Canyon, the original intent lost in the subterranean subconcious.

Oh! Right!

We did a Let's Play. Only it didn't work out because it ended up being less of a "Let's Play" in the traditional sense and more of a "Play l4d for a bit and have lots of fun while praying that if we scrounge the whole thing we can get five minutes of rational or humorous content"

I have dubbed this a "We'll Play." It's almost like we just take a regular forum game and ban everyone without a microphone, except we record it too.

I vote we do a "We'll Play" of Half-Life 2 next (Obsidian Conflict works well for enabling Co-Op).

Anyone up for it?

AlterForm
2009-09-04, 09:04 AM
I vote we do a "We'll Play" of Half-Life 2 next (Obsidian Conflict works well for enabling Co-Op).

Anyone up for it?

Sounds like fun.

Fawkes
2009-09-04, 09:43 AM
I'm in.

What's Obsidian Conflict?

Player_Zero
2009-09-04, 10:08 AM
Oh god. Whoa.

I...

I could've sworn I JUST saw a post like that.

I must be losing it.
Well excuuuuse me for not reading every single post that was made while I was asleep.

shadow_archmagi
2009-09-04, 10:11 AM
Well excuuuuse me for not reading every single post that was made while I was asleep.

No I actually didn't think there was already a post like that in this thread. It was not a jibe at your reposting but an honest confusion.

Obsidian Conflict is a hl2 mod. It does a lot of things but most important to us is that it has the best HL2-CoOp mode of all the mods.

Penguinizer
2009-09-04, 10:17 AM
If it's free, I'm up for a game.

chiasaur11
2009-09-04, 10:23 AM
Can Obsidian Conflict run mods?

Minerva's surprisingly good fun in multi, and trying to use synergy for main HL2 made me painfully aware of load times.

Mc. Lovin'
2009-09-04, 10:56 AM
Aw Rut what happened to Crits or GTFO? I thought that was a funny title ...

Phase
2009-09-04, 11:09 AM
I think it should have been "Valve Thread (OR: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Hats)"

Thanatos 51-50
2009-09-04, 11:15 AM
Heh. "Let's get a Kritzkrieg medic in here, but don't tell the cops".
Yeah, I remembered that, Ruts, and I still think it would make a good thread title.

Alleine
2009-09-04, 11:43 AM
Where's that setting? In with the autozoom/single-click medigun checkboxes?

Uhhhh, yesish? I don't think it is actually. My poor memory is telling me there were three other checkboxes that aren't there that contained some other things I checked as well. It might be the same tab, but not on that list. It shouldn't be too hard to find.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-09-04, 11:48 AM
Sounds awesome. I've been toying with doing a LP of Half-Life 2 for ages, but this sounds more fun. Though, what's Obsidian Conflict?

Kyouhen
2009-09-04, 12:00 PM
Well...yeah, if you get lucky you can get a couple, but a Level 2 will get you much further. Obviously setting up is always a problem, but you're about as likely to just get punked by a random soldier/demo/pyro/ANYTHING with your Level 1 as you are to be taken out while setting up shop as a regular engineer.

Plus, often players will figure out there's a sentry shooting them and take cover, heal up, then take it down. Which is harassment, which can be useful, but it's not quite your ultimate goal of murder.

I dunno, slipping behind enemy lines and throwing up a level 1 is a quick and easy way to get a kill or two. They never seem to expect that beeping to be unfriendly.

Have been lurking for quite some time on the various boards, and after depriving everyone here of my wit felt it was time to join in on the fun and camaraderie. Maybe even join in for more Left 4 Dead, if the other players can tolerate a silent cohort.

Does that mean you won't complain when we shoot you or demand to be saved from smokers and/or hunters? :smallbiggrin:

So... Much.... Laughing...

There, now that that's caught up I'd like to volunteer for the HL2 game!

shadow_archmagi
2009-09-04, 12:36 PM
Though, what's Obsidian Conflict?

Obsidian Conflict is a hl2 mod. It allows for co-op.

Can Obsidian Conflict run mods?

Obsidian Conflict is a hl2 mod.

I love when I can answer questions using words I already said.

So that's me, cthulhu, zyouhen, and ???

The Linker
2009-09-04, 12:49 PM
Zyouhen?

You totally did that just to annoy him. :smalltongue:

shadow_archmagi
2009-09-04, 12:56 PM
Zyouhen?

You totally did that just to annoy him. :smalltongue:

I am honestly surprised I got as many letters right as I did.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-09-04, 01:06 PM

Oh, my bad then. So what's the difference between Obsidian Conflict and Synergy?

Penguinizer
2009-09-04, 01:08 PM
So, if we have any idea when we are doing this. I'd be more than happy to jioin in.

Fawkes
2009-09-04, 02:22 PM

You forgot me.

Worira
2009-09-04, 02:23 PM
Rutskarn should consider maining Soldier. He has a curious affinity for crit-rockets.

chiasaur11
2009-09-04, 02:23 PM

Being a mod doesn't guarantee it can mount other mods easily. I mean, conflicts between mods are a known phenomenon.

shadow_archmagi
2009-09-04, 02:36 PM
Being a mod doesn't guarantee it can mount other mods easily. I mean, conflicts between mods are a known phenomenon.

In my experience, Valve does mods differently than any other game developer. Every mod I've seen acts as though it were a fully seperate game, albiet on that you need the files of the original to play.

So instead of it being like Oblivion where you say "Excuse me, computer, I'd like to launch Oblivion with the.. oh, I don't know, let's go with the Red Alert and Triangle Party addons running."

It's more like have a half-dozen seperate icons on your desk labelled "Half Life: Full Life Consequences" "Half Life" and "Half Life: Plaid Rebellion" with no interaction between any of them.

So no, you can't really say "I'd like to run this mod that adds more enemies and this mod that makes everything pink" although very few mods are as limited as that. Most mods are going to be less along the lines of

"This is the same game you bought, but upgraded/customized!"

and more the whole

"This is a completely separate game that just happens to run on the same engine as the one you bought."

KBF
2009-09-04, 02:38 PM
Wasn't this thread about games not made by Valve too?

In that case, I bought Civilization 4, complete pack. Which one is the one where I play them all at once and how does I play game. Nah, it's cool. I played the tutorial. But wow, I suck.

Fawkes
2009-09-04, 04:17 PM
Anything Valve or Steam fits in this thread.

chiasaur11
2009-09-04, 04:52 PM
In my experience, Valve does mods differently than any other game developer. Every mod I've seen acts as though it were a fully seperate game, albiet on that you need the files of the original to play.

So instead of it being like Oblivion where you say "Excuse me, computer, I'd like to launch Oblivion with the.. oh, I don't know, let's go with the Red Alert and Triangle Party addons running."

It's more like have a half-dozen seperate icons on your desk labelled "Half Life: Full Life Consequences" "Half Life" and "Half Life: Plaid Rebellion" with no interaction between any of them.

So no, you can't really say "I'd like to run this mod that adds more enemies and this mod that makes everything pink" although very few mods are as limited as that. Most mods are going to be less along the lines of

"This is the same game you bought, but upgraded/customized!"

and more the whole

"This is a completely separate game that just happens to run on the same engine as the one you bought."

Right, right.

Just knew some multi mods had incredibly minor issues with other mods, IE Synergy doesn't show any of the text in Minerva.

Player_Zero
2009-09-04, 05:09 PM
Rutskarn should consider maining Soldier. He has a curious affinity for crit-rockets.

And facestabs.

Copper8642
2009-09-04, 05:11 PM
I haven't been in these threads much much (I've read a few of these threads, haven't posted at all), though I do use Steam for... stuff. Not much to be honest.

Just felt like posting about how fast these threads fill up. I mean, seriously, you guys are plowing through these threads like no tomorrow. It's popular.

Rutskarn
2009-09-04, 05:15 PM
And facestabs.

Yes, I have an affinity for both. For *attracting* both.

I did not get a single critrocket today. I got one facestab.

On the other hand, I was killed my multiple crockets and, like, 5 facestabs.

Player_Zero
2009-09-04, 05:44 PM
You've hit me with more facestabs than anyone else. Lurker is less likely to kill me than you because even when I'm SHOOTING YOU IN THE FACE WITH MY SHOTGUN you STILL backstab me!

My crockets never hit. And if they do it it was someone who was gonna die anyway.

Hmm... Maybe I should play demo a bit. I'm fairly good with scout and soldier now maybe time to move on.

shadow_archmagi
2009-09-04, 06:18 PM
Oh, my bad then. So what's the difference between Obsidian Conflict and Synergy?

I'm not exactly sure; whenever I suggest a hl2 coop game with my friends in Synergy they spam an overwhelming chorus of "GOOD GOD NO OC IS BY FAR SUPERIOR."

I think I was told actual reasons like "Less lag" or "more optimized" or "less buggy" but I have no idea what they were because it's been so long.

wojonatior
2009-09-04, 06:52 PM
I call dibs on the next thread.

Sorry but if you didn't realize, you are 2nd in line, check the last thread, I recall me being angry at Rutsy because he beat me.

Gimmie a link to the mod so I can install it, and I am SO in.

Crispy Dave
2009-09-04, 06:57 PM
Valve says on their forums that anyone who got hit with wrongful deletions can get their items back. I didn't look at how, since mine are fine.

I didn't lose any items I need I just didn't get the halo.

Rutskarn
2009-09-04, 07:13 PM
Damn, I need to Walkway some more or something. My Sniper Skillz are frankly Illz.

Especially when I spend a lot of time getting into position, this always flashes through my brain:

http://thebreakfastclubclan.org/graphics/cartoons/cartoons_calvin_and_hobbes_games_lousy_shot_1(1000 x327x256).gif

AlterForm
2009-09-04, 07:14 PM
I want in on the MP HL2! I posted before all of you! :smallamused:

wojonatior
2009-09-04, 07:20 PM
Not really.... Look up a post or 2 and you see me, and there were others before me.

Nano
2009-09-04, 07:32 PM
Damn, I need to Walkway some more or something. My Sniper Skillz are frankly Illz.

Especially when I spend a lot of time getting into position, this always flashes through my brain:

*snip.*

Mind spoilerfying that image, Ruts?

AlterForm
2009-09-04, 07:39 PM
Not really.... Look up a post or 2 and you see me, and there were others before me.

Exhibit A:
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/77851/FRISTPOST.jpg

I rest my case.

wojonatior
2009-09-04, 07:49 PM
Why the repost then?

Nano
2009-09-04, 07:49 PM
The exhibit has been deemed inadmissible by the court by fault of some kid having drawn on it with a gaudy red marker.

shadow_archmagi
2009-09-04, 07:54 PM
Sorry but if you didn't realize, you are 2nd in line, check the last thread, I recall me being angry at Rutsy because he beat me.

Expressing anger at having lost *this* time is different from hopping in line for next time.

shadow_archmagi
2009-09-04, 07:55 PM
Obsidian Conflict supports up to like, sixteen people, so there's hardly a need to cue at this point.

EDIT:

Does tomorrow at 1 pm EST time work for everyone?

AlterForm
2009-09-04, 08:18 PM
I'll be a smidge late (circa 1:30 most likely), but it works for me.

Why the repost then?

Because Shadow was making a list of people and I felt an uncontrollable urge to be on that most prestigious list of no importance at all. :smallcool:

Player_Zero
2009-09-04, 08:55 PM
I'm a pretty bad sniper-shot really. I keep firing where I think they will be. And yet, people don't seem to act as I would ask most of the time so I usually end up missing by a mile.

Did have a nice streak of headshots on badwater a few minutes ago. Their entire team ran at my position because I killed most of them in one go.

Rutskarn
2009-09-04, 08:57 PM
I'm a pretty bad sniper-shot really. I keep firing where I think they will be. And yet, people don't seem to act as I would ask most of the time so I usually end up missing by a mile.

Did have a nice streak of headshots on badwater a few minutes ago. Their entire team ran at my position because I killed most of them in one go.

Yeah. That match was pretty much an intense bloodbath all around.

wojonatior
2009-09-04, 09:04 PM
Obsidian Conflict supports up to like, sixteen people, so there's hardly a need to cue at this point.

EDIT:

Does tomorrow at 1 pm EST time work for everyone?

Yea, if I could get a nice yummy link, because I am lazy.

Rutskarn
2009-09-04, 09:27 PM
I've got two songs we need to get out for our next Heavy Only match.

Ra Ra Rasputin--Boney M (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvDMlk3kSYg)

Moskau--Dschinghis Khan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQAKRw6mToA&feature=related)

Nano
2009-09-04, 10:41 PM
...Damnit, Rutskarn. I've just started choir, and now I'm using Rasputin to help me learn rhythm. I pray the day never comes that I'm driven to sing it in class.

Fawkes
2009-09-04, 10:45 PM
Installed Obsidian Conflict, but I'm not sure it installed correctly. It couldn't write a couple files.

Moskau--Dschinghis Khan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQAKRw6mToA&feature=related)

Don't forget Kalinka (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_A7Hu0uKNw) and, of course, Korobeiniki (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxlujC8A004).

Worira
2009-09-04, 11:17 PM
The d20 servers need votescramble so much.

EDIT: And Viaduct lags like a censored.

EDIT EDIT: Causes my FPS to plummet, if you're feeling pedantic.

Kyouhen
2009-09-05, 01:46 AM
Also does anyone know if the halos are just glitched or if they were turned off on the d20 servers? I'd really like to be able to use the only hat I've ever gotten kthx.

EDIT:
Also can't do the HL2 game if we're doing it tomorrow. Actually I was supposed to mention that first. Not sure why I didn't...

Dread Cthulhu
2009-09-05, 02:32 AM
Your position sums up mine when I first got the halo. Then a couple of days later I turned it off because it was ugly and, well... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZf5OvpX6Dk)

Also, here's (http://www.obsidianconflict.net/downloads.html) a download link for Obsidian Conflict.

shadow_archmagi
2009-09-05, 07:29 AM
Yes, the prestiegous list was less a

"ONLY THESE PEOPLE GET IN BECAUSE THEY ARE BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE" and more a "SHADOW HAS POOR MEMORY LET HIM TRY TO COUNT YOUR LITTLE GITP HEADS AND WRITE IT DOWN WHERE HE WON'T FORGET"

Now I've decided to abandon the whole "List" concept and just say "Be in the GITP chat channel (it is always empty normally) at the correct time and if you're there you'll get the link and if you're not there you can PM me (you get one guess as to my Steam name)"

Jibar
2009-09-05, 07:36 AM
Hey, Valve is good at apologising to me. I login today and find out they've given me two items I accidentally deleted, which means I get my KGB and Razorback back.

Now, back to waiting for a hat.

TheLogman
2009-09-05, 07:55 AM
I'm going to be fairly busy this weekend with college stuff, so I can't play with you guys.

But, I would still like to idle a little when I can. My question is this:

Can I still get items if I just create a server and sit in it? I don't need to move my mouse or have other people in the server or anything, right? Because I keep getting kicked from servers for reserved slots or losing the connection.

shadow_archmagi
2009-09-05, 08:26 AM
I'm going to be fairly busy this weekend with college stuff, so I can't play with you guys.

But, I would still like to idle a little when I can. My question is this:

Can I still get items if I just create a server and sit in it? I don't need to move my mouse or have other people in the server or anything, right? Because I keep getting kicked from servers for reserved slots or losing the connection.

A correctly set-up server will get you items, yes. There are numerous guides (in particular, one of my friends wrote a guide called "Idling in a less efficient way: The way valve intended!") I'll try to grab one for you real quick.

wojonatior
2009-09-05, 09:08 AM
If I am not initially there, I am probably out eating lunch, so just wait a half hour to an hour and I will be there.

Drascin
2009-09-05, 09:10 AM
Don't forget Kalinka (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_A7Hu0uKNw) and, of course, Korobeiniki (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxlujC8A004).

Thanks for that. I'm going to be humming the damn Korobeiniki for the whole day now :smallannoyed:. Stupid addicting song...

wojonatior
2009-09-05, 09:20 AM
I got bored, and as we all know bad things happen while bored, so here it is Coalation of the Poor and Irish. (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/poorirsih)

Darth Mario
2009-09-05, 09:22 AM
Alas, I am also poor and Irish, though angelic. Sign me up!

wojonatior
2009-09-05, 09:23 AM
Sent, next time you are online you will get it.

Fawkes
2009-09-05, 09:27 AM
Make it a public group, make me an admin, and use this picture as the group logo.

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/9021/pooririshman.jpg

By the way, I changed my Steam name to "The Devil's Hands". Get it?

Jahkaivah
2009-09-05, 09:36 AM
By the way, we have some info on the next Left 4 Dead 2 campaign, here's the Rock Paper Shotgun article. (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/09/04/left-4-dead-2-is-heading-to-the-carnival/#more-17182)

So... Zombie Clowns, I always felt the game needed a bit more maniacal laughter.

Also by the looks of the UI, it seem Melee weapons now replace pistols.

Also we see a close up spitter here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8390bIMbRk&fmt=18), like his method for killing her.

wojonatior
2009-09-05, 09:50 AM
The group has been public-itized, and I am putting the image up now.

Copper8642
2009-09-05, 10:06 AM
As a relatively late-comer, could someone just list all the games that you guys play on Steam in this thread? I've gathered Team Fortress 2 and certain Half Life 2 Mods...

Myatar_Panwar
2009-09-05, 10:09 AM
As a relatively late-comer, could someone just list all the games that you guys play on Steam in this thread? I've gathered Team Fortress 2 and certain Half Life 2 Mods...

Left 4 Dead is also a popular one. Other than that Steam has a bunch of games...

edit: Oh you mean as a group? I've only played TF2 and L4D with gitp'rs, though I'm sure you could get some guys here to play other games with you.

Fawkes
2009-09-05, 10:11 AM
By the way, we have some info on the next Left 4 Dead 2 campaign, here's the Rock Paper Shotgun article. (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/09/04/left-4-dead-2-is-heading-to-the-carnival/#more-17182)

So... Zombie Clowns, I always felt the game needed a bit more maniacal laughter.

Also by the looks of the UI, it seem Melee weapons now replace pistols.

Also we see a close up spitter here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8390bIMbRk&fmt=18), like his method for killing her.

I think you're overlooking the most important thing from that video. KATANA!

Also, new special infected!

Thanatos 51-50
2009-09-05, 10:12 AM

I Play Champions Online on STEAM, too.
/shrug

Surrealistik
2009-09-05, 10:15 AM

The only song needed. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-pumubifI)

AlterForm
2009-09-05, 10:29 AM
I think you're overlooking the most important thing from that video. KATANA!

It could cut through a Tank!

http://hornetsreport.com/HRForums/images/smilies/rimshot%5B1%5D.gif

TheLogman
2009-09-05, 10:32 AM
The Jockey interesting, in concept at least. I wanted it to be a little horse-riding dude, but that probably won't happen.

Dragging survivors is a good idea, but I shudder to think of him in the hands of a player. Perhaps he's a sneaky, mobile alternative to the larger, more unwieldly tank.

shadow_archmagi
2009-09-05, 10:37 AM
If I am not initially there, I am probably out eating lunch, so just wait a half hour to an hour and I will be there.

Sorry, surprise invitations are fun.

wojonatior
2009-09-05, 11:31 AM
Heey! I posted that! Not you! And i am sitting in the Gitp Chat room.:smallcool:

Hermit
2009-09-05, 11:32 AM
The Jockey interesting, in concept at least. I wanted it to be a little horse-riding dude, but that probably won't happen.

Dragging survivors is a good idea, but I shudder to think of him in the hands of a player. Perhaps he's a sneaky, mobile alternative to the larger, more unwieldly tank.

In the hands of a player, it sounds like it does the job of the Smoker, without the need to wrestle with the atrocious tongue coding. I approve.

wojonatior
2009-09-05, 11:40 AM
You are a Pirate!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0KVR5RKJ6w&feature=related)

shadow_archmagi
2009-09-05, 12:12 PM
Heey! I posted that! Not you! And i am sitting in the Gitp Chat room.:smallcool:

I apologize for being fifteen minutes late but I am here now sitting in chat but no one is responding because you all went to play tf2.

Rutskarn
2009-09-05, 01:07 PM
Alltalk and You, Lesson #21:

When you say:

"Oh, damn. Don't worry, we'll cover your sentry until you respawn!"

Spies on the other team hear:

"Open buffet!"

shadow_archmagi
2009-09-05, 01:13 PM
Oops.

Apparently I actually meant that the game was NEXT saturday at 1 pm EST.

Ziren
2009-09-05, 01:16 PM
Sooo... I got a Respectless Rubber Glove today. I'm almost ashamed by my luck.

Doesn't keep me from showing it off, though.

Rutskarn
2009-09-05, 01:18 PM
Sooo... I got a Respectless Rubber Glove today. I'm almost ashamed by my luck.

Doesn't keep me from showing it off, though.

I ashamed by how much I want to put my fist in your face.

Seriously, though, congratulations.

wojonatior
2009-09-05, 01:23 PM
Yea that is one of THE BEST HATS EVAR, also.

shadow_archmagi
2009-09-05, 01:26 PM
Oops.

Apparently I actually meant that the game was NEXT saturday at 1 pm EST.

When I said that I was lying. We're starting now.

AlterForm
2009-09-05, 02:03 PM
Sadness. Brother is on the gaming comp atm; hopefully I can get on in time to join ya'll.

Dogmantra
2009-09-05, 02:34 PM
I am incredibly happy! The source of my hap?

I GOT THE UBERSAW! FINALLY! I totally didn't go to an empty server and grind achievements with a friend. Totally. Then we definitely didn't have loads of fun doing the infinite-ubercharge trick and we totally didn't directly cause us to cap the final point and win. DEFINITELY.

wojonatior
2009-09-05, 03:18 PM
What is the infinite uber trick?

Nano
2009-09-05, 03:25 PM
Two medics with the ubersaw. Uber one, have him saw someone four times, he ubers the other guy when his wears off, rinse and repeat.

Kyouhen
2009-09-05, 03:25 PM
What is the infinite uber trick?

Two medics with healgun and ubersaws. One ubers the other. Other one beats things to death with the ubersaw. By the time the first uber wears off the saw medic should have finished charging his uber and they switch places. Rinse, lather, repeat in a sea of blood.

Dogmantra
2009-09-05, 03:28 PM
That's the idea. What it amounted to was my friend going first (we both had charged ubers) with the bluntsauger, switching to ubering me, me failing to hit with the saw and then us dying...

Penguinizer
2009-09-05, 03:47 PM
Hmm, I thought they made it so the ubersaw doesn't give you the 25% to your charge when you are ubered to stop that.

Player_Zero
2009-09-05, 03:53 PM
No. Because chain ubering isn't particularly dangerous.

Dogmantra
2009-09-05, 03:55 PM
Fun, but not dangerous at all.

wojonatior
2009-09-05, 04:26 PM
I Will Saw That Lv 3 Sentry To Death!!!

chiasaur11
2009-09-05, 04:32 PM
I'm having a bit of a problem with Steam logging me off every time I boot up.

Any solutions suggested?

Kyouhen
2009-09-05, 04:42 PM
Fun, but not dangerous at all.

Yeah, all you have to do is run the other way and Airblast/FaN them until it wears off. :smalltongue:

shadow_archmagi
2009-09-05, 04:45 PM
Yeah, all you have to do is run the other way and Airblast/FaN them until it wears off. :smalltongue:

It actually *was* removed until they implemented the airblast/FaN.

After all, medic was the first to be updated, and so for a time it *was* godly, since medics are faster than everything but scouts.

Nano
2009-09-05, 04:50 PM
I'm having a bit of a problem with Steam logging me off every time I boot up.

Any solutions suggested?

We'll need to perform an exorcism. Your copy of the Orange Box will be burned in an offering to the spirit.

Kyouhen
2009-09-05, 04:55 PM
So I'm thinking that we're going to end up seeing an alternate version of all of the original L4D special infected in L4D2 to counter situations when they won't be as useful.

We've got a witch that moves, which would probably spawn in the areas that are more open where a normal witch is laughable.

We've got the Spitter for blasting survivors out of corners and closets, which will probably spawn where a Boomer's bile can't do much to them.

We've got the Jockey, which is probably going to be better at separating the survivors in tight halls than the Smoker is.

And we've got the Charger which would likely be more effective in hallways than Hunters.

So then, the question now is what're they going to bring up for the new tank? :smalltongue:

Dogmantra
2009-09-05, 04:57 PM

Still, we took out a sentry all by ourselves! I must get a working mic and do this with someone who has a mic!

Penguinizer
2009-09-05, 05:07 PM
So, the unofficial first session of the Obsidian Conflict HL-2 LP/thing ended some time earlier. I'm wondering if anyone more competent than me could upload video of the ramp puzzle (the one with the washing machine we failed miserably on) since that was in my opinion the highpoint.

wojonatior
2009-09-05, 05:13 PM
That was hilarious.

Rutskarn
2009-09-05, 05:23 PM
Re: Chain Ubers: I've seen it done well once. They were clanmates, and they were very good at running opponents down and hacking them to bits.

It helped that there weren't many people on the server, though, so they could recuperate some of their uberstock while the other team respawned.

Player_Zero
2009-09-05, 05:43 PM
Rockets and stickies and stop them too. Ever fired an uber across the map with three stickies? Feels good.

Wait, I'm not so sure FaN can. It didn't used to be able to knockback ubers. May've changed with the recent change to the knockback it does though.

Fawkes
2009-09-05, 05:44 PM
Just finished Minerva.

It was a little disappointing. I mean, it was fun, but it was pretty short. I think you guys built it up too much.

In any case, it serves as a great testament to the fact that "overrated" isn't the same as "bad."

chiasaur11
2009-09-05, 06:09 PM
Just finished Minerva.

It was a little disappointing. I mean, it was fun, but it was pretty short. I think you guys built it up too much.

In any case, it serves as a great testament to the fact that "overrated" isn't the same as "bad."

So, what did you have a problem with?

Always interested in other people's take on things I enjoy.
(Other than the length, it is a tad short. I should have mentioned that, sorry.)

shadow_archmagi
2009-09-05, 08:13 PM
So, the unofficial first session of the Obsidian Conflict HL-2 LP/thing ended some time earlier. I'm wondering if anyone more competent than me could upload video of the ramp puzzle (the one with the washing machine we failed miserably on) since that was in my opinion the highpoint.

IMHO the high point came when we were still looking for a server and on that crappy map "dakunta" or something where you used turrets to shoot at enemy spaceships and I yelled "I GOT ONE!" and two different GITPers simultaneously said "That's great, don't get cocky kid!"

Fawkes
2009-09-05, 08:32 PM
So, what did you have a problem with?

Always interested in other people's take on things I enjoy.
(Other than the length, it is a tad short. I should have mentioned that, sorry.)

There was a lot of backtracking. The maps tried too hard to be open-ended, considering how linear the game actually was.

I never really understood what was going on with the story, which I guess is sort of the point, but still.

Also, the character Minerva annoyed me. What a bitch.

wojonatior
2009-09-05, 08:38 PM
Not entirely sure, but I think that was the point.

chiasaur11
2009-09-06, 12:14 AM
Been playing some Deus Ex, and I hit a snag.

I'm in the visit to New York when you have to deal with

The submarine and there seems to be a solid wall preventing me from meeting my contact, in the same place as there was a wall in the first visit, and wasn't in the second. This a glitch?

Rutskarn
2009-09-06, 12:22 AM
Been playing some Deus Ex, and I hit a snag.

I'm in the visit to New York when you have to deal with

The submarine and there seems to be a solid wall preventing me from meeting my contact, in the same place as there was a wall in the first visit, and wasn't in the second. This a glitch?

You're talking about the contact in the burned out building? Can you be more specific?

chiasaur11
2009-09-06, 12:33 AM
You're talking about the contact in the burned out building? Can you be more specific?

Ah! That explains it. I'm not seeing him, though.

Rutskarn
2009-09-06, 12:39 AM
Ah! That explains it. I'm not seeing him, though.

Yeah, I had trouble finding him too. He's...kind of around the leftward corner? He's a tricky bird.

chiasaur11
2009-09-06, 01:05 AM
Yeah, I had trouble finding him too. He's...kind of around the leftward corner? He's a tricky bird.

Thanks. That did it.

And the meeting gave me the points to boost my melee combat abilities to the maximum. Huzzah!

KBF
2009-09-06, 04:07 AM
There was a lot of backtracking. The maps tried too hard to be open-ended, considering how linear the game actually was.

How many load screens were there? :smalltongue:

I never really understood what was going on with the story, which I guess is sort of the point, but still.

Also, the character Minerva annoyed me. What a bitch.

I'm going to assume with 4-5 people, it's kind of hard to actually enjoy the immersion and difficulty that makes the game really shine. But Minerva?

Minerva was better than GladOS. Because you are entirely right.

Ghastly Epigram
2009-09-06, 06:37 AM

I've not played this "Minerva" thing, but that line of reasoning is kinda suspect. You could try and make the most disgusting food possible, and succeed, but that doesn't mean you've done well. :smalltongue:

Feeling dislike or indeed hate for a character can be "good" as it were, but annoyance? Surely that's just...annoying. :smallyuk:

Phase
2009-09-06, 06:38 AM
Left 4 Dead DLC (Crash Course) to be released this coming Thursday.

In Valve Time, that means...

Three weeks guys. False alarm.

Faulty
2009-09-06, 08:54 AM
Minerva is the name of the site my school uses to have us sign up for classes, etc. So I can't mentally connect the word to anything other than the insane obnoxiousness of signing up for courses.

Player_Zero
2009-09-06, 09:14 AM
I tired to do a no-killing run of Deus Ex. Then I ran out of tranqs and prod charge. They're in a better place now at any rate.

Also, all your multitools are mine. Leeloo Dallas mul-ti-tool.

I also abuse quick saving to see whether or not a locked door is worth the lockpicks.

Faulty
2009-09-06, 09:15 AM
I always killed people even if I didn't have to. I think I killed most of the enemies in that game. My logic was that it's one less super secret soldier in the world.

Player_Zero
2009-09-06, 09:22 AM
You were killing normal people untill you fought those white-faced goons, not super soldiers.

What kind of policeman are you.

wojonatior
2009-09-06, 09:29 AM
Nice usage usage of a ? there Zero.

Player_Zero
2009-09-06, 09:34 AM
Nice usage usage of a ? there Zero.

It wasn't a question. I didn't want an answer.

Fawkes
2009-09-06, 09:34 AM
I'm going to assume with 4-5 people, it's kind of hard to actually enjoy the immersion and difficulty that makes the game really shine. But Minerva?

Actually, I played Minerva by myself.

Disagree. GlaDOS was much more interesting. Minerva was just annoying.

Phase
2009-09-06, 09:47 AM
Yeah. As much as I loved Metastasis (Mainly for the level design,) GLaDOS cannot be beat. She is the malevolent female AI now. She beat out SHODAN, even. She's up there with Skynet, HAL9000, AM, all those guys. She just happens to say funny things to make it even better.

wojonatior
2009-09-06, 10:02 AM
And she so happens to make a song about her death after she is dead(or something... Wait...)
Since it is pretty obvious that Gordon is going to go to the Borealis(The Aperture ship that was long lost or a myth)for episode 3 , They probably won't be introducing the portal gun into the mix, because that was Portal's signature trait. I am thinking that they will reincarnate GlaDos because she was singing that she was "still alive!" Thoughts?

Rutskarn
2009-09-06, 11:23 AM
You were killing normal people untill you fought those white-faced goons, not super soldiers.

We're cops. Stick with the prod.

Yeah, I did my last three or four playthroughs nonlethally. I actually prefer it that way--I can get better shooter action from a lot of games, but it was more or less the best stealth game I'd played at that point.

Fawkes
2009-09-06, 11:35 AM
I still haven't played Deus Ex. I bought and installed it, but haven't played it yet.

Faulty
2009-09-06, 11:59 AM

One that put four ranks into rifles and was planning on using them, dammit!

They new the dangers when they signed up for a job that required them to carry around guns in underground facilities.

Rutskarn
2009-09-06, 12:44 PM
Speaking of non-Valve games, how you likin' Freedom Force, Than?

Thanatos 51-50
2009-09-06, 12:56 PM
Speaking of non-Valve games, how you likin' Freedom Force, Than?

I'm having diffculty with it, to be completely honest. Theres alot of really accurate bad guys and the Heroes don't have alot of health. One full heal per hero, garunteed, plus kinda-sorta-maybe pickups if the devs felt like putting one in and no healing powers gets frustrating, but it's a good challange.

EDIT: Also: Mentor and Man-Bot suck.

Ziren
2009-09-06, 01:01 PM
We're cops. Stick with the prod.

Yeah, I did my last three or four playthroughs nonlethally. I actually prefer it that way--I can get better shooter action from a lot of games, but it was more or less the best stealth game I'd played at that point.

Even the bosses? It's probably because I played on hard-mode, but the extra armor they got against nonlethal damage made it pretty much impossible for me to not kill them (I had enough problems with Simons as it was, having put all my points in infiltration-based skills, pistol and meele - I eventually killed him with a giant cheap mine trap).

Copper8642
2009-09-06, 01:03 PM
I've played a few levels into Freedom Force before I stopped. It was decent fun, though as you said, it can be really tough. Mentor is pretty bad, I always found Man-Bot to be good though. One of the few heroes that can take a hit and not die miserably.

Rutskarn
2009-09-06, 01:04 PM
I'm having diffculty with it, to be completely honest. Theres alot of really accurate bad guys and the Heroes don't have alot of health. One full heal per hero, garunteed, plus kinda-sorta-maybe pickups if the devs felt like putting one in and no healing powers gets frustrating, but it's a good challange.

EDIT: Also: Mentor and Man-Bot suck.

Yeah, it was tricky my first time too. Eventually, you start to figure out how to minimize the amount of damage you take. For example:

--Minuteman's deflecto-shield is all too easy to overlook, but it can save him against thugs both frozen and regular.

--Man-Bot is a heavy hitter, but only if you can get him there. He's also good for throwing things if you can't get him stuck in.

--Don't bring Mentor unless you have to...until you can give him Electro Beam, which is quite useful (if a little costly).

--There are exactly two heroes worth buying: Man-o-War and Bullet. Law and Order are kind of useless, Sea Urchin is fantastically useless and irritating to boot. Also: don't be afraid to bake up your own heroes to patch up any weaknesses. For example, there are healing powers in the game (which you'll get when Eve joins you)--you could, if you so desired, craft a hero specifically for healing fools.

Also, I forget, is there an online gameplay mode? If I can find my copy, I wouldn't mind skirmishing a bit.

EDIT: @Ziren: You can't really avoid killing Navarre in any way. The other bosses--get this--I simply ran away from. I think maybe I stunned Simons, but I can't really remember--it's been a while since I last played it, and someone kinda stole my disc.

Rutskarn
2009-09-06, 01:16 PM
This just in:

Remember that Healers Against Halos group? The one with so many angry, ardent members who bitterly announced that they would refuse to heal anyone wearing a halo? The ones who claimed to be taking a moral stand?

Well, their group creator posted this:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/HealersAgainstHalos/announcements/detail/72212031951991939

TL;DR: Jeezy Christ, guys, I was kidding. Lighten up already, you're not doing anything but irritating your fellow players.

If you read it, it's apparent that he's kind of surprised at how feverish these guys are. I guess he underestimated the extent to which random internet people will get their knickers in a bunch.

wojonatior
2009-09-06, 01:57 PM
Yea, no kidding.

Morrandir
2009-09-06, 02:12 PM
I could see not healing them if they're being a genuine anatomyhead about it, certainly, but that goes for any situation, really. If you're a jerk, I will be a jerk back, it's that simple.

And because I haven't seen it discussed here yet, there's some info on the Jockey in L4D2. When he snags a survivor, he gets about 70% of the control, while the survivor can still influence movement a bit.

My concern is that with him, we now have 4 SI capable of disabling the survivors before incapping them. Jockey, Charger, Hunter, Smoker. I'm curious if the AI director will be able to balance the spawns so that there's always one survivor capable of taking action, or if Versus games will almost always end in a total wipe.

Arbitrarity
2009-09-06, 03:08 PM
Even the bosses? It's probably because I played on hard-mode, but the extra armor they got against nonlethal damage made it pretty much impossible for me to not kill them (I had enough problems with Simons as it was, having put all my points in infiltration-based skills, pistol and meele - I eventually killed him with a giant cheap mine trap).

It's Deus Ex. Nothing is really cheap, even kiting enemies through 10 LAMs. It's just stylish.

Also, I loved Rifle Mastery, for the camera-killing. Camera sees you, starts flashing? Ca-click, fthwpt. No problem.

Darth Mario
2009-09-06, 04:13 PM
I am no longer poor and Irish and now have a Respectless Rubber Glove. Feel free to hate me.

TheLogman
2009-09-06, 04:45 PM
Pyro has the best hats, no question about it.

And congratulations man!

chiasaur11
2009-09-06, 04:56 PM
I tired to do a no-killing run of Deus Ex. Then I ran out of tranqs and prod charge. They're in a better place now at any rate.

Also, all your multitools are mine. Leeloo Dallas mul-ti-tool.

I also abuse quick saving to see whether or not a locked door is worth the lockpicks.

I mainly used the police baton.

They were resisting arrest.

Also, I killed two guys so far Anna (Had to) and a MJ-12 commando.
I had to kill the second guy. Otherwise the cops would find out about my robbery of the 7-11. Yes, I stabbed a government agent to death so as to cover up a petty theft. I love Deus Ex.

Also, on Minerva:

I liked Minerva. She's a bitch, but the changes in response to you are fascinating, the gig's one I can approve of, and she's a lot like Durandal personalitywise, and hating Durandal is nigh-impossible.

TheLogman
2009-09-06, 05:08 PM
I dunno, Minerva did what she had to do, she's noble to an extent. I like her at least. She's human-ish.

Oh, and in other news, in a sweet dodgeball match today, I saw someone with a Community Flamethower!

What's the deal with those?

Fawkes
2009-09-06, 05:10 PM
My list of games I own I need to play:

Chronicles of Riddick: Butcher Bay/Dark Athena
HL: Blue Shift
HL: Opposing Force
Deus Ex
Fallout 3: Mothership Zeta (beat everything else)

Then I have to buy Arkham Asylum.

Man, video games are becoming a full time job.

chiasaur11
2009-09-06, 07:23 PM
I may just cancel my low killing policy in Deus Ex.

I got a laser sight for the pistol. Headshots from miles away.

TheLogman
2009-09-06, 09:19 PM
So, that guy that does the "Master's Challenge" got to play some L4D2.

Video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPnl33ABQPA&feature=sub) A few interesting things there. One noticeable one is the melee weapons. They seem to be fairly common. At least to the point where you see them often, and they're useful and common enough you could pick one up a chapter or two.

The best part is the footage of the Jockey in action though. He looks nasty, plus, now that I've seen him in action, I realize what he is.

You guys mentioned the Special Infected that trap survivors. This dude doesn't do that. And he's certainly not slow. This is not a drag.

Watch the video.

He's riding that survivor like a HORSE. A dragging Infected would be almost useless, easy to shoot off, slow moving.

But a Jockey dude? Yeah, try to catch your buddy when he's running away from you at top speed, with a dude that's damaging him on his back.

He's gonna be hard to shoot off, and you are so screwed if they get too far away.

Very fun. I noticed you can "resist" him though, so you could maybe just knock him off yourself. Either that or steer yourself back to your buddies.

And thus, the Jockey becomes the most physics-based Special Infected of them all. Can you hit them at the correct momentum, taking into account their existing velocity and angle, in a way that allows you to steer time away from their friends?

Somebody mentioned this thing is a smoker but for enclosed spaces.

Honestly? I think this dude is a smoker, but for massive spaces, it's just unlike smoking, you don't need the height advantage, you just grab-n-run.

shadow_archmagi
2009-09-06, 09:36 PM
For a long time (in fact, it may still be there, I havn't checked) one of my friend's on another forum had this signature:

We are totally the worst policemen ever.

Funny how this becomes appropriate again and again.

Faulty
2009-09-06, 10:20 PM
The law? I am the law!

Phase
2009-09-06, 10:32 PM
Well, Chet's been talking it up, and at PAX, here's (http://www.nomoregameblogs.com/main/pax-09-exclusive-interview-with-chet-faliszek-of-valve-softw.html) what he had to say.

tl;dr Crowbar!

Fawkes
2009-09-06, 10:45 PM
Did he really have to throw in the jab about the hats? :smallconfused:

chiasaur11
2009-09-06, 10:57 PM
Did he really have to throw in the jab about the hats? :smallconfused:

Yes.

All former writers for Old Man Murray feed on human suffering. He needs to make sure some people are unhappy so as to appease his dark lords.

Kyouhen
2009-09-07, 12:05 AM
So, that guy that does the "Master's Challenge" got to play some L4D2.

Video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPnl33ABQPA&feature=sub) A few interesting things there. One noticeable one is the melee weapons. They seem to be fairly common. At least to the point where you see them often, and they're useful and common enough you could pick one up a chapter or two.

The best part is the footage of the Jockey in action though. He looks nasty, plus, now that I've seen him in action, I realize what he is.

You guys mentioned the Special Infected that trap survivors. This dude doesn't do that. And he's certainly not slow. This is not a drag.

Watch the video.

He's riding that survivor like a HORSE. A dragging Infected would be almost useless, easy to shoot off, slow moving.

But a Jockey dude? Yeah, try to catch your buddy when he's running away from you at top speed, with a dude that's damaging him on his back.

He's gonna be hard to shoot off, and you are so screwed if they get too far away.

Very fun. I noticed you can "resist" him though, so you could maybe just knock him off yourself. Either that or steer yourself back to your buddies.

And thus, the Jockey becomes the most physics-based Special Infected of them all. Can you hit them at the correct momentum, taking into account their existing velocity and angle, in a way that allows you to steer time away from their friends?

Somebody mentioned this thing is a smoker but for enclosed spaces.

Honestly? I think this dude is a smoker, but for massive spaces, it's just unlike smoking, you don't need the height advantage, you just grab-n-run.

Yeah, actually seeing him in action I stand correct. Definitely built for the wide open areas. It looks like it's possible to shake him off, so he can't even pin/incap a survivor on his own. Damn useful for breaking up the group and causing a bit of confusion but not a win without some hunters or smokers kicking around. So yeah, looks great and I see no problems overall. :smalltongue:

Myatar_Panwar
2009-09-07, 01:09 AM
Man I want to go to PAX next year.

Hopefully by then I will actually have some money. :smallfrown:

TheLogman
2009-09-07, 07:40 AM
So I had a thought about the demoman locks in the shower this morning.

You know how the knife is an essential part of the Spy, so he didn't have an unlock to replace it?

The Scrumpy bottle is so useless that I doubt that there's gonna be an unlock for it. If there is, it'll be something like the gloves of running faster, where the merits of the weapon are based entirely on what they give.

So I'm thinking 2 different sticky launchers.

The first one is exceptionally volatile. If someone touches them, shoots them, airblasts them, or the Demoman gets too far away, they explode. Larger explosion radius, more damage. The exchange is that the Demoman using them can't explode them at will, or if he can, they're on a timer, or explode randomly or something. Maybe he could get something like 10 or 12 at a time. A Demoman using them would have to stay close and defend, because otherwise they just explode.

The second is much more stable. Can't be airblasted, can't be shot off. Demoman gets maybe 4-6 of them, explosion radius is smaller, deals less damage.

And then for the pipe bomb launcher, maybe they don't bounce, so the Demoman basically has a weaker, faster rocket that arches after you shoot them.

Kyouhen
2009-09-07, 08:40 AM
I could see the demoman getting a proximity sticky unlock. They'd have to be able to trigger when the demoman steps on them though, otherwise he can't bomb jump. They'd probably not stick to the ground either, being more like mines. I can't see them replacing his grenades with ones that explode on impact as that kind of kills a critical part of the class.

wojonatior
2009-09-07, 09:11 AM
I want to see that video, phase , but the link is dead.

Bryn
2009-09-07, 09:20 AM
I want to see that video, phase , but the link is dead.
I found that too, so I went to the front page and clicked on it (I guess the URL changed or something).
I assume this one will work (http://www.nomoregameblogs.com/main/updated-pax-09-exclusive-interview-with-chet-faliszek-of-val.html).

Jahkaivah
2009-09-07, 09:37 AM
The Scrumpy bottle is so useless that I doubt that there's gonna be an unlock for it. If there is, it'll be something like the gloves of running faster, where the merits of the weapon are based entirely on what they give.

Actually the Bottle is the most likely one to recieve an unlock as it give Valve the opportunity to come up with a humurous brand of alchohol. And giving drinking the stuff an actual effect is as obvious as having the baseball bat actually hit a baseball.

wojonatior
2009-09-07, 09:47 AM
All I know is this, I want a hat, and an update.

Faulty
2009-09-07, 10:42 AM
You must be this tall... TO DIE!

Rutskarn
2009-09-07, 10:43 AM
You must be this tall... TO DIE!

Wo-owwwww.

Ow. Ow.

Ow.

Faulty
2009-09-07, 10:47 AM
Wo-owwwww.

Ow. Ow.

Ow.

That's the actual tagline for Dark Carnival.

Jockey looks cool. Weapons sound awesome.

Phase
2009-09-07, 10:47 AM
Wo-owwwww.

Ow. Ow.

Ow.

The question is, are we all tall enough to die? Cause if not, the survivors are OP...

Faulty
2009-09-07, 10:57 AM
Thanks to Lurker, I have grown fond of the C&D.

wojonatior
2009-09-07, 11:01 AM
Yea, When I use that, I need to use it like it was intended.

Rutskarn
2009-09-07, 11:25 AM
That's the actual tagline for Dark Carnival.

Seriously?

That's actually...kind of awesome, then. I mean, when YOU said it it was an insipid pun, but when Valve says it it's a laugh riot.

wojonatior
2009-09-07, 11:29 AM
Discrimination much Rutsy?

Teln
2009-09-07, 11:48 AM
Actually the Bottle is the most likely one to recieve an unlock as it give Valve the opportunity to come up with a humurous brand of alchohol. And giving drinking the stuff an actual effect is as obvious as having the baseball bat actually hit a baseball.

If they do this, it'll probably be made by the same people that make Bonk! brand energy drink.

TheLogman
2009-09-07, 11:57 AM
I got a Demoman's Fro!

I am no longer Poor or Irish.

And I am done idling. That was the promise I made.

Dogmantra
2009-09-07, 12:11 PM

And thanks to my friend who helped me get the ubersaw, I have grown fond of the Dead Ringer for playing Combat Spy.

Fawkes
2009-09-07, 12:36 PM
So... am I the only one who's still hatless? :smallfrown:

Dogmantra
2009-09-07, 12:38 PM
If those things count as hats, then probably. If not, then I'm not either.

Fawkes
2009-09-07, 12:43 PM
There should be skins that turn normal models into hatted models.

memnarch
2009-09-07, 12:54 PM
Do people just ask to be let into the GitP group in steam or does it work some other way?

Nano
2009-09-07, 01:03 PM
If you'll post your Steam ID, someone will invite you. Maybe. If we feel like it.

TheLogman
2009-09-07, 01:24 PM
Yeah, just post your Steam ID, and I'll let you in. Unless someone beats me to it. Somebody will.

Nano, be nice to the new people >.>

memnarch
2009-09-07, 01:33 PM
STEAM_0:0:20824304

There we go.

Dragor
2009-09-07, 01:55 PM
I'll stop lurking now! Had an awesome game today. Rutsy, you're the bane of my Heavy life. You and your, er, avante-garde Spy tactics.

The Linker
2009-09-07, 02:10 PM
So... am I the only one who's still hatless? :smallfrown:

I have a halo, but that's it.

*crosses fingers for a Scout hat*

Myatar_Panwar
2009-09-07, 02:13 PM
I have a halo, but that's it.

*crosses fingers for a Scout hat*

Once trading comes out, and you happen behind just about any hat which doesn't belong to the scout or sniper, I will trade you my Batters Helmet if interested.

I don't play scout enough.

Also, when people ask to get an invite, you guys should just tell them to post the link. Like this http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197996928270

I would imagine it would make things way easier and less confusing.

Jibar
2009-09-07, 02:14 PM
*buries face in hands*

Everytime I start on Heavy I feel like an idiot. Partly because usually I am an idiot on the voice chat, mostly because I feel this inexplicable attraction to the fists.
There's something viciously satisfying about sneaking behind someone and punching their brains out.

Also I would like a hat.
Any really.
Mining Light would be nice.

Dragor
2009-09-07, 02:18 PM
*buries face in hands*

Everytime I start on Heavy I feel like an idiot. Partly because usually I am an idiot on the voice chat, mostly because I feel this inexplicable attraction to the fists.
There's something viciously satisfying about sneaking behind someone and punching their brains out.

Don't worry Jibar, I know exactly how you feel. I'm like that as the Demoman; if someone comes close, I won't sticky bomb them, I'll get out 'mah botlle o' scrumpeh' and try and bludgeon them. And fail miserably half the time.

KBF
2009-09-07, 02:37 PM
Don't worry Jibar, I know exactly how you feel. I'm like that as the Demoman; if someone comes close, I won't sticky bomb them, I'll get out 'mah botlle o' scrumpeh' and try and bludgeon them. And fail miserably half the time.

...If I'm playing demoman and somebody comes close, I try to sticky bomb them.

And fail miserably every time.

Dragor
2009-09-07, 02:47 PM

I can play it off quite well if I don't panic, and nearly all the time I do and just spray randomly and get pretty soundly killed.

Dogmantra
2009-09-07, 02:55 PM

You have it lucky! If I'm playing Demoman and the enemy exists, I'll fail miserably.

wojonatior
2009-09-07, 03:33 PM
I am still VERY hatless.:smallfrown:

Jibar
2009-09-07, 03:34 PM

That's if an enemy is close, mine is more along the line of "Pyro fire is puny in face of my fists!"

Mc. Lovin'
2009-09-07, 03:39 PM
Resisting the Jockey doesn't mean you can shake him off, it means you still have a little controll over where you go. It's like, 70 - 30 in favour of the Jockey. Valve said in an e-mail / interview somewhere

Faulty
2009-09-07, 03:40 PM
And thanks to my friend who helped me get the ubersaw, I have grown fond of the Dead Ringer for playing Combat Spy.

As opposed to? :smalltongue:

Arbitrarity
2009-09-07, 03:44 PM

That's because stickies fail at close range with the 1 second delay. l2aim pipes. Seriously, they work beautifully if you can get a few hits.

Fawkes
2009-09-07, 03:46 PM
l2aim pipes.

Easier said then done. Although, I did get some good pipe kills on ctf_sawmill today. Like when I killed two scouts with one critbomb.

Dogmantra
2009-09-07, 04:02 PM
As opposed to? :smalltongue:

As opposed to sneaky stab stab spy.
I mean the sort that shoots people with the revolver 'til they're almost dead then dead ringers away and heals, rinses and repeats.

Kyouhen
2009-09-07, 04:29 PM
Resisting the Jockey doesn't mean you can shake him off, it means you still have a little controll over where you go. It's like, 70 - 30 in favour of the Jockey. Valve said in an e-mail / interview somewhere

Maybe it just pops off after a few seconds? I don't think I saw anyone go over there and knock it off of him...

Faulty
2009-09-07, 04:41 PM
As opposed to sneaky stab stab spy.
I mean the sort that shoots people with the revolver 'til they're almost dead then dead ringers away and heals, rinses and repeats.

That's a really ineffective use of Spy.

Darth Mario
2009-09-07, 04:59 PM
That's because stickies fail at close range with the 1 second delay. l2aim pipes. Seriously, they work beautifully if you can get a few hits.

Screw that. LERN 2 SCRUMY.

Rutskarn
2009-09-07, 05:57 PM
And with the acquisition of some Hair Fixative, I am legitimately hatted.

Of course, now I need to learn how to play Sniper.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-09-07, 07:06 PM
That's cool to hear. I've always considered it to be the most versatile watch.

Kyouhen
2009-09-07, 07:26 PM
Ok, I've (finally) finished going through and converting the rest of the demos. They're being uploaded now to here. (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=0ebd1a1aa0afedaed1014a7a667fa2b477661e70 0ed61282ce018c8114394287) Anything starting with a 'b' is mine, anything starting with a 'p' is Phase, anything starting with an 's' is Shadow's. I didn't see any demos posted by you, Rutskarn, so there's nothing from you there. Maybe I missed the link, if I did just repost it and I'll get those fixed up too. As previously mentioned the p_02 video is missing because something is very wrong with Phase's demo of the second map. It'll probably be a few hours to finish uploading everything, but there's some videos already in the folder if you wanted to get a start on editing them together.

Faulty
2009-09-07, 07:27 PM
That's cool to hear. I've always considered it to be the most versatile watch.

Yeah, I think I've been making better use of terrain too.

Jahkaivah
2009-09-07, 07:33 PM
Maybe it just pops off after a few seconds? I don't think I saw anyone go over there and knock it off of him...

From what I heard players will get the Jockey off them after a few seconds of his harrassment.

Which makes sense otherwise:

1, It would look kinda silly staggering all over the place for an extended period of time, especially since the Jockey doesn't do damage over the interim.

2, Thats 4 infected with the ability to permanantly arrest players, then some kinda of limitation would be needed so they aren't all in play at once achieving an easy win. With only 3 infected Valve need only reduce the cap on all of them to 1 and we wont have that problem.

TheLogman
2009-09-07, 08:25 PM
Hey Ruts, I didn't say this earlier, so congratulations on the anti-hat so to speak.

Honestly, the lack of hats are rarer than actual hats, plus assuming by Hair Fixative you meant the Sniper one (The only one named Hair Fixative), then I am very impressed, because that one looks really cool.

The Sniper is quite dashing.

Fawkes
2009-09-07, 08:28 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure which I like more: Ritzy Rick's or the Jarate Belt. Every other class I have a definite favorite: Baker Boy, Pot, Glove, Stovepipe, Ushanka, Ten Gallon, Mirror, Fedora. But Sniper defies favoritism.

wojonatior
2009-09-07, 08:38 PM
If I got a Ushanka Hat...

Rutskarn
2009-09-07, 09:31 PM
Ok, I've (finally) finished going through and converting the rest of the demos. They're being uploaded now to here. (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=0ebd1a1aa0afedaed1014a7a667fa2b477661e70 0ed61282ce018c8114394287) Anything starting with a 'b' is mine, anything starting with a 'p' is Phase, anything starting with an 's' is Shadow's. I didn't see any demos posted by you, Rutskarn, so there's nothing from you there. Maybe I missed the link, if I did just repost it and I'll get those fixed up too. As previously mentioned the p_02 video is missing because something is very wrong with Phase's demo of the second map. It'll probably be a few hours to finish uploading everything, but there's some videos already in the folder if you wanted to get a start on editing them together.

Nice one, then. The reason I didn't post any was that my mike reflection didn't kick in, so my demo was essentially worthlesless. Oh well.

Player_Zero
2009-09-07, 09:43 PM
And with the acquisition of some Hair Fixative, I am legitimately hatted.

Of course, now I need to learn how to play Sniper.

Rutskarn sniper is not credit to team.

KBF
2009-09-07, 11:11 PM

But at least he tries.

Nano
2009-09-07, 11:13 PM
And on the battlefield, it doesn't matter if you win or lose, as long as you tried your best.

Rutskarn
2009-09-07, 11:13 PM

Oh hell no I'm not. Can't hit the broad side of a barn. While using a scope, taking my time, and standing inside the barn.

Hopefully, though, I'll get there. Walkway is not entirely useless for this purpose--at least I'm getting a sense for how to aim to get a damned headshot. Fun fact: it helps if you kind of aim for the forehead, apparently.

chiasaur11
2009-09-07, 11:25 PM
And on the battlefield, it doesn't matter if you win or lose, as long as you tried your best.

That sounds suspiciously like commie talk, son.

And you know what we do with commies.