PDA

View Full Version : Isle of the Black Sorcerer IC

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Firebeard
2010-02-26, 02:39 PM
Making your way back to the closed door, Jonathan in the lead, the party encounters no resistance. Leaving Aranis to the door-crashing duties, Jonathan takes up post in the rear and maintains a watch.

For anyone that didn't already look at the map, here is where you are (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement12.png) relative to the barracks room.

Fuzzies
2010-02-26, 03:15 PM
"All right, let's be off then!"

Jade_Tarem
2010-02-28, 03:24 PM
Aranis adopts the same awkward semi-crouch as before - the one that allows him enough room to swing a greatsword in a cramped hallway, and goes to work on the door.

Taking 1 attack per round, for however long it takes to break the door.

Attack 1 (PA 6): [roll0]
Attack 2 (PA 6): [roll1]
Attack 3 (PA 6): [roll2]
Damage 1: [roll3]
Damage 2: [roll4]
Damage 3: [roll5]

Sword ignores any hardness less than 20.

Firebeard
2010-02-28, 03:27 PM
The greatsword swung in towards the iron-bound door, whistling with the amount of effort Aranis put behind the blow. At the last moment, the blade reversed its momentum, flying back behind Aranis and nearly striking Jacelyn as she leaned in to look before burying itself deep in the hallways wall.

Godskook
2010-02-28, 03:42 PM
Startled by the commotion, Jonathan runs back, doing his best to figure out what happened.

[roll0]

Any other relevant checks I should roll, based on what my search discovers?

Fuzzies
2010-02-28, 04:18 PM
As Aranis began his swing, Jacelyn came toa sudden realization "Wait! It's magically sealed!" But it was too late. As the blade rebounded past her, she threw herself backwards and shouted "Put that thing away before you get us all killed!"

If you guys can make movie and comic references, so can I :smallredface:

Nox Lupus
2010-02-28, 06:50 PM
Solas stands there in muted shock.

Firebeard
2010-02-28, 06:57 PM
Looking back at the commotion, Jonathan sees something that should have been obvious before.. the keyhole of the door is outlined in a faint blue. There is no way he could have missed it before. The coloration must have been activated by Aranis' strike.

Knowledge Arcana for anyone interested

Jade_Tarem
2010-02-28, 07:22 PM
Aranis puts his foot against the wall and begins prying his sword out. "Well excuse me, your highness..." He finally gets the sword out and looks back at the door balefully. "That was fun. Would it be possible to cut around the door, or would trying set us on fire?"

Fuzzies
2010-02-28, 07:54 PM
Jacelyn recovered herself and replied "Sorry. It just startled me is all. Let me take a look."

K. Arcana: [roll0]
K. Spellcraft: [roll1]

Godskook
2010-03-01, 01:21 AM
Hmmm....

[roll0]
[roll1]

Firebeard
2010-03-01, 07:56 AM
@Jacelyn & Jonathan

The blue indicator around the keyhole reminds you of a certain way of closing a door via magic. An Arcane Lock spell can prevent the door from being opened without an extreme use of force, and the keyshards used to open the locks are often color coded.

It appears that this room has also been provided with a spell that returns attacking energy onto itself, preventing any forceful means of entrance. You need the key to get in.

Firebeard
2010-03-01, 08:00 AM
As the 5 of you inspect the door, Solas and Jonathan hear the sound of running feet heading in your direction. Quickly they spread the word and you prepare for whatever is coming.

Just as you can make out that only one set of feet appear to be headed your direction, a single form bursts around the corner panting "Master! Master! Those intruders have freed the prisoners and..." Seeing you standing near the door, he tries to stop and reverse direction.

Nox Lupus
2010-03-01, 09:24 AM
Solas leaps on... it?

Grapple-[roll0]
(add 1 if the gloves will help here)
Successful- Attack-[roll1]
Gloves-[roll2]
(Subdual Dmg)

(Assuming that gets It)

"Keep struggling worm, and I'll dislocate every joint in your body." Solas' says this in a very 'matter-of-fact' tone.

Firebeard
2010-03-01, 09:33 AM
Solas lands on the figure and wraps his arms and legs in a complex knot around the man, pinning him to the ground. Struggling, the man cruses and flails, but cannot break free of the monk's grip. Panting and heaving, he struggles for a few more moments, and then goes limp in Solas' grip.

"Let me go! You're hurting me! Ol' Barty never did nothing to hurt you."

@Solas, Jacelyn, Aranis
You immediately recognize the old man from the Inn above.

Nox Lupus
2010-03-01, 09:40 AM
"If you are aiding this fiendish 'Master', then you have done enough... Barty. :smallmad:

Solas does not relent in his grip, remembering the personality shifts the old codger went through during our first encounter with him.

Fuzzies
2010-03-01, 09:59 AM
"The Master you serve has made this place a den of pain, suffering, and degradation. That is enough for any Wizard's Council to condemn him to death. That is enough for me! Now, tell us where he is and what you know about his work here. Can these creatures be redeemed? Where is our friend Lorus, who accompanied us to this place? Talk!" With the the last word, she flung her staff up in front of her, an eerie light glowing at the tip. She held the staff in a manner that was obvious she'd like nothing more than to crush the man's face with the end of the staff.

Casting Light to make the staff glow, hoping to intimidate the old man into talking. Maybe he would be afraid of whatever spell she is prepared to cast?

Intimidate check if you think it warrants it [roll0]

Nox Lupus
2010-03-01, 10:06 AM
@ GM

Given that Ol'Barty has relented, Solas will take the next available moment he can to 'Pin' him. Solas will hold his grappling attacks, waiting for him to do anything other than answer the questions we ask. Solas does not view him as defenseless or unarmed, as he is "obviously" some sort of spellcaster, and most likely quite insane. Thus, feels no remorse for any attacks he has to make.

Jade_Tarem
2010-03-01, 10:56 AM
"And who says you've never done anything to harm us? That wine was wretched..." Despite the joke, Aranis casually holds his sword and tries to look intimidating.

Intim: [roll0]

Read OOC thread, found out that this was unnecessary. Oh well.

Godskook
2010-03-01, 11:21 AM
Y'Know, you're cute when you're angry, Jacelyn. Jonathan says, stepping to the fore-front, and drawing one of his daggers. Turning to their new prisoner, Jonathan asks. How many more are down here?

Firebeard
2010-03-01, 11:33 AM
Eyes flashing from one threat to another, the old man moaned piteously. "Please! I just work here. Clean the inn, provide meals for the guards, run errands for the Master. I don't know anything. Please!"

Seeing the renewed threat in the adventurer's faces, he continued "Master Hotar has been here since the Dispersal. He's the one responsible for the spellwarped creatures on this part of the island. I'm just a lackey. I was a ship's mate on the Revenge when we wrecked here. Master Hotar needed someone to run things here while he experimented. That's all I did! I swear it to you!"

Startled by the dark man's statement, he replied "How should I know how many are down here? The spellwarped come and go as they please. There's some Khaasta guards, but the others come and go. I don't know any more!"

Nox Lupus
2010-03-01, 11:56 AM
With a jerk on his already exposed and overly-stretch limbs Solas pointedly asks "Then how did you disappear in the kitchen earlier today, when we first arrived?! My companions saw the aura of magic about you. Do not play us for fools, old man.":smallmad:

Grapple Dmg-[roll0]
(subdual)

Firebeard
2010-03-01, 01:22 PM
"Ease off there! You're hurting me! Yes, I can do a bit of magic, some teleporting a bit. So what? Most every creature on this island long enough can. It's a Place of Power."

Nox Lupus
2010-03-01, 01:27 PM
Witout jerking him this time, "Why then, why did you suddenly abandon us? and what do you know of our other companions? Do you know where they are?:smallannoyed:

Firebeard
2010-03-01, 01:32 PM
"Master Hotar has the cleric in the Changing room. Please, I've helped you, let me go!" With that, the old man started bucking and squirming to get away. His strength and ferocity were surprising. Solas barely manged to keep his grip.

Nox Lupus
2010-03-01, 01:40 PM
@ GM

Assuming he is still pinned
Grapple-[roll0]
Attack-[roll1]
Gloves-[roll2]
(lethal dmg)

...this is the attack roll for last time, sorry I forgot about it-
Grapple-[roll3]

Sliver
2010-03-01, 01:41 PM
"Stop struggling. If you will surrender you will be treated with care until you are turned to the authorities, but if you don't, you will be dispatched of swiftly. Do you know if there is a way to reverse the change?" As he speaks, Alliston calmly sets his morningstar near the man's head.

Firebeard
2010-03-01, 01:53 PM
"I don't know! I'm not a sorcerer or a mage! I'm a second mate that gained some spells on this island. I can't tell you any more. Hotar won't kill me if he finds out I've helped you. He'll turn me into one of his twisted pets. Can you imagine being forever a monster?"

Fuzzies
2010-03-01, 01:55 PM
"Where is this Changing Room? If ther is any chance at all of saving poor Lorus, we have to take it. Tell us...or better yet, show us!" Jacelyn looked at the others. "We should make him take us there. He can show us any more secret passages or traps to avoid."

Sliver
2010-03-01, 02:11 PM
"If we free him like he wants, which won't happen, his chances of being caught and changed are higher. He is better off by our side. So, what will it be?"

Nox Lupus
2010-03-01, 02:27 PM
"He's gained more than just spells in his time here, or maybe its what you've lost Barty..." Solas says with an accusing tone :smallannoyed: "Jacelyn, can you bind him? Keep him from using his teleporting powers?"

Fuzzies
2010-03-01, 02:44 PM
"Well, I could use my staff to crush his head." Jacelyn frowned for a moment and then said thoughtfully "All the teleportation spells I know of are verbal. If we gag him, it might prevent him from using his ability. Of course, it might not. We'd be safer to bind him and attach him to one of us. He can't teleport an unwilling subject, and the tether *might* keep him in place. Of course I still recommend the gag."

Nox Lupus
2010-03-01, 02:49 PM
"Lets do it then, Aranis, can you bear him as a burden?"

Fuzzies
2010-03-01, 02:54 PM
"Actually, I think we'd be better off just binding his hands and making him walk in front. That way he can guide us without talking and as long as one of us stands near enough to interrupt any spellcasting he might try and do, we should be okay."

Nox Lupus
2010-03-01, 03:19 PM
"Very well then, who has the rope?"
While the others find the gag and rope...

Whispering
Listen 15

"You're safer with us old man, but when I slacken my grip, if you so much as twitch in a way I find displeasing, I will ensure that teleporting will be your only means of mobility for a week."
Solas tightens his grip on the old man for a moment to make his point as clear as possible.

Godskook
2010-03-01, 04:33 PM
Jonathan grabs the rope from his pack, and hands it to Solas.

+2 circumstance for the rope, and your dex is as good as mine.

Fuzzies
2010-03-01, 04:37 PM
Seeing Jonathan providing the rope, Jacelyn pulls a silk handkerchief from her pack and balls it up, handing it to the monk as a gag. "You can tie it in with this" she says, holding out a piece of twine from her pack.

Nox Lupus
2010-03-01, 04:47 PM
Solas looks at the rope, then at Ol'Barty, then back to Jonathan.

"I've got him restrained, you tie him up":smallconfused:

It is obvious from his expression that Solas cannot spare the hands (or feet) to tie Barty up, given that he still has him pinned.

Jade_Tarem
2010-03-01, 04:47 PM
Aranis plants his sword in the ground and rubs his chin while the others tie Barty up. "The changing room... somehow I doubt that the name refers to clothing. We'd best hope that Hotar is a procrastinator, or we might already be too late for Lorus."

Nox Lupus
2010-03-01, 05:10 PM
Whoever does tie him up, when they move in close to do so, Solas will relax his grip enough for that person to get to ol'Barty's hands.

Godskook
2010-03-01, 05:16 PM
Jonathan works his way in around Solas and begins tying their new 'friend' up.

[roll0]

Nox Lupus
2010-03-02, 12:34 PM
Once bound and gagged, Solas will release his grip on Barty.

Firebeard
2010-03-02, 01:47 PM
"mmph. Mmph ohm" said the old man As Jonathan tied him up. The intricate knotwork bound his arms at the wrists and elbows, making it a painful but effective way to immobilize him.

Sliver
2010-03-02, 01:51 PM
Alliston searches the man for some kind of key, he surely wanted to pass through the locked door...

Firebeard
2010-03-02, 08:15 PM
@Alliston

You don't find any sort of key or key-like device on him. Perhaps he was shouting because he hoped someone inside would hear and open the door?

@Solas

Realizing the old man struggled far more vigorously than you might expect, you begin to wonder just how "old" he really was. Was this his true appearance, or perhaps something else was at work here? Maybe the island's power nexus affected him more than just giving him a few spells to cast?

Sliver
2010-03-04, 12:02 AM
"Is there someone on the other side holding on to the key? Is there another way to get through or find that key?" Alliston pokes gently at the prisoner.

Alliston will test for the man's injuries. If his weakest touch of healing (I can use it at lower CL right? For minimum healing) works then he could make a calculated guess about this man's relative power

Uhh.. I used protection devotion 3 times right? Forgot to keep track of that :smallredface:

Firebeard
2010-03-04, 07:54 AM
"Mmph, onp phmfr frmmm" says the prisoner, shrugging and shaking his head in response to Alliston's questions.

Sliver
2010-03-04, 08:03 AM
Alliston turns to the others "Well then, let's explore a different route for now.. Jon?"

OOC: Was the man injured enough for the healing to work?

Firebeard
2010-03-04, 08:29 AM
@sliver

No healing was done.

Firebeard
2010-03-06, 07:06 AM
@Aranis
When the man first appeared around the corner, you were busy looking at the door with (and being scolded by) Jacelyn. Now that you take the time to look more carefully however, you notice that the man's aura keeps flashing evil every time Solas tweaks his arms, or Jonathan ties the ropes too tightly.

Fuzzies
2010-03-08, 01:14 PM
"Assuming this Hotar isn't here, take us to the next place you think he would be. I suggest Solas keep a hand on Barty here and make sure he doesn't try and pull a fast one." Jacelyn is a little agitated about confronting the "true monster" of this village.

Jade_Tarem
2010-03-08, 01:21 PM
Sorry for the slow posts. Our Senior Design project at the university went straight to hell this week, and we've just now recovered.

Aranis looks at the old man oddly. "That's... bizarre." If the others give him odd looks, he continues. "Solas, every time you tighten the ropes too far, or strain his joints, he goes evil for a moment. I've never seen anyone's aura shift and flicker like that before."

Fuzzies
2010-03-08, 01:37 PM
"Wait a minute! Aranis, your Detect Evil spell requires you to maintain concentration right? What if he is manifesting a Conceal Alignment type spell? Every time Solas hurts him, he loses his concentration and his true alignment shows through!"

Godskook
2010-03-08, 02:43 PM
Solas, quick! Beat the crap out of him! But don't kill him. Its time we had someone to question.

Firebeard
2010-03-08, 02:46 PM
"Mrph, mrphm, pbmmt!" The old man shouted through the gag, eyes wide with terror.

Godskook
2010-03-08, 03:00 PM
Jonathan puts up his hand, his body language signaling a pause to Solas. You want the easy way!? Then stop PLAYING GAMES WITH US.

[roll0] + [roll1] Non-lethal

Firebeard
2010-03-08, 03:03 PM
Body sagging in despair, the old man nodded to let you know he understood your position.

Godskook
2010-03-08, 03:19 PM
Before Jonathan removes the gag, he voices Now, before we begin, I think its fair to tell you. I'm a patient man, Barty. We can go on for days. Hell, I once kept a man in my bag of holding for weeks, waiting for him to decide he liked breathing. Took another month before he decided that talking was a good idea.

Problem is, Barty, we don't have time for this. See, we're on a deadline. And when time is short, corners are often CUT. The word 'cut' punctuated by a slice down Barty's right arm. I hate cutting corners, Barty, but I can't see any other options. Give me options, and hopefully, we can avoid anymore cutting. With that, Jonathan removes the gag, and awaits what the prisoner has to say for himself.

[roll0] Lethal

Firebeard
2010-03-08, 03:46 PM
Staring at the gash in his arm, Barty goes white and appears to go into brief shock. Then, with a jerk, he apparently realizes that his immediate health is in danger and he swallows heavily. "What do you want to know?" he asks.

Godskook
2010-03-08, 03:52 PM
Let's start with who you are, and what you do here.

Firebeard
2010-03-08, 03:58 PM
"I already told you that. I am Barty, former second mate of the Revenge. I work here in the village as an innkeeper and Hotar's assistant. They keep the inn as a pretext to lure in those washed up on the North shore and as a place to find the comforts they used to have before they came to the island."

Godskook
2010-03-08, 04:34 PM
Thoughtful for a moment, Jonathan slaps the blade of his dagger against his left hand, splattering blood across his hand in the process. Alright, I'll accept that for now. How do we open this door?

Firebeard
2010-03-08, 04:50 PM
"Master Hotar has a keyshard. He is the only one that can open this door when it is sealed." The man is becoming increasingly agitated.

Godskook
2010-03-08, 04:56 PM
Is there anything you do know that is useful? Jonathan asks, letting some frustration through in his voice. This fellow did not seem to want to cooperate, and perhaps spending too much time dealing with him would be ill-advised. Taking his dagger, he wipes it clean on the prisoner's clothing and sheathes it, listening to Barty's reply to his most recent question.

Fuzzies
2010-03-09, 08:20 AM
Jacelyn interrupts "tell us where this Master Hotar is, and our friend. You mentioned a Changing Room. What is it and where?"

Firebeard
2010-03-09, 08:31 AM
If possible, the man turns even paler. "but...but.." he stammers "I can't. If Hotar finds out I helped you, even under torture, he'd turn every minute of my life into a waking horror. I can't!"

Godskook
2010-03-09, 10:08 AM
Hmph

Hahaha

HAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Jonathan laughs at Barty's comment. You're confused Barty. Hotar will believe you helped us even if you don't. I'll make sure of that. 'Course, I doubt he'll live long after that, but I like to hedge my bets, just to be safe.

Firebeard
2010-03-09, 10:20 AM
The man looked confused for a moment, and then sputtered "but, you...you can't". His face looked crestfallen as he obviously realized that yes, you can...and probably will. You get the feeling that Barty wasn't the smartest crewman aboard the Revenge, which is probably why he is still a lackey after all these years.

"Fine. Go back up this hallway and turn left at the intersection. Follow that hallway and then turn right. Take the first door on the left, that puts you back int eh room you started in. We call it the Holding Room. There's a door in the far wall that leads to a kind of treasure room." Looking at your faces he realizes that you have already been there. "I see you've been there already. Anyways, go through there and turn left in the hallway. Follow that around and you'll come to a room with no other exits. There is actually a secret door in the Northwest corner. Through there is the Changing Room. If Master Hotar is not there, then I don't know where he could be."

While the prisoner was talking, Jonathan had his map sketch out and was taking notes, trying to fill in as much of the missing info as he could, while appearing as threatening as possible.

Godskook
2010-03-10, 03:02 AM
Solas, what do you think? Jonathan says, taking a step back from the prisoner.

I'm still within reach of the critter and prepared to send my hand through his mouth if he starts trying to cast.

I'm prodding Solas for a sense motive check, since he's the group's 'listener'.

Nox Lupus
2010-03-10, 10:37 AM
Solas, quick! Beat the crap out of him! But don't kill him. Its time we had someone to question.

Solas thinks to try to intimidate our new friend, but thinking back to the incident with the Ettin, decides against it.

Nox Lupus
2010-03-10, 11:00 AM
Solas, stunned silent by the slice across Barty's arm, feels the blood trickle down over his hand. Solas gives Jonathan a look that shows these feelings.:smalleek:

When Jonathan asks him
"...what do you think?", Solas turns Barty around, holds him up against the wall firmly, by his restraints and asks in a pleading tone "Please don't move, Barty".:smallfrown:

Solas then proceeds to pull out his wand and touches Barty's arm, whispering the command word...
Wand-[roll0]

Putting the wand away, Solas looks Barty in the eye. "Barty, we need your help. We will help protect you if you help us to stop Hotar. If you won't we'll have to make sure you cannot warn your master about us. If you will, we will do everything we can to protect you and keep you safe. I do not believe Hotar would give you such an offer at this point. Show us the way you described.

Nox Lupus
2010-03-10, 11:10 AM
Solas awaits Barty's responce
@GM
[roll0]
This one is for his response... just to double check or see if this show of compassion changes anything.

Firebeard
2010-03-10, 01:04 PM
"Look, I've told you what I know. I'm not going with you. You can kill me here, but I am not going to just walk up to Hotar and show him how badly I may have betrayed his confidences." Barty is practically shaking in terror now. "I'm not! Let me go, or leave me here, but I am not walking to my destruction!"

Sliver
2010-03-10, 01:08 PM
Alliston shakes his head with a thought of pinning the man down to a door with daggers through his hands. These last few moments put some bad thoughts into his mind. He couldn't approve of this, but sacrifices must be made sometimes, and this way proved it's efficiency. He kept standing there in silence, hands folded in front, trying not to look at the man. "Shall we move on?" He finally asked.

Fuzzies
2010-03-10, 01:10 PM
Jacelyn looked in disgust at the man as he sobbed and trembled. Typical. He's more concerned about his own skin than the sanctity of others'.

"Perhaps he's right. Maybe we should just kill him now. He'll betray us the first chance he gets, so let us not give him the opportunity. Either way, we need to decide quickly. Lorus may even now be in dreadful danger."

Nox Lupus
2010-03-10, 01:12 PM
"Very well then, turn around Barty"

If he resists Solas will try to force him around...

"...this will be quick..."

Once in that position Solas will pull back back his fist, and land a precise palm strike to the back of Barty's head.

Sense Motive 20
Solas has no lethal intent here, he means to knock him out.

@GM

Attack-[roll0]
Dmg-[roll1]
Gloves-[roll2]
(Subdual)
... I hope one strike will be enough given previous damage done and the fact that he is immobilized.

Firebeard
2010-03-10, 01:25 PM
@Solas

@GM

Attack-[roll0]
Dmg-[roll1]
Gloves-[roll2]
(Subdual)
... I hope one strike will be enough given previous damage done and the fact that he is immobilized.

Probably shouldn't have healed him then :smallsmile:

Gonna take another hit. I'll assume you did enough on the second strike.

The first blow stuns the old man, the second knocks him out cold. The body slides to the floor as Solas straightens and then looks around at the group.

Nox Lupus
2010-03-10, 02:13 PM
A moment passes "I think we should bind him tighter so he is completely immobilized, and then put him a bag of holding. Hotar might still try to reclaim his lackey."

Solas looks at the group for a volunteer.

Godskook
2010-03-11, 12:50 AM
I'm not sure he'd fit. The best of haversacks can only hold about 80lbs in the main pouch, and from what I've seen of your gear, we have no 'proper' bag of holding.

Nox Lupus
2010-03-11, 08:11 AM
"dark..." Solas mutters under his breath.

Solas looks down at the pitiful Barty...

@ GMHow much does this guy weigh

Firebeard
2010-03-11, 08:13 AM
@Solas

He's old, but large. 6' tall and probably near 200 pounds.

Nox Lupus
2010-03-11, 08:19 AM
Solas seems lost in his contemplations and does not seem to hear Jacelyn, or notice the line she dots on his neck.

"I can't carry him through these halls... turning to the others "but I won't leave him here to suffer whatever twisted fate Hotar will inflict upon him if we abandon him. Can anyone carry him on their backs... holding him by his bindings. Put him down if we get into trouble, but carry him until we deal with his master?

Solas finishes with a questioning tone, looking primarily to Aranis, but speaking to everyone.

Fuzzies
2010-03-11, 08:19 AM
"I say we just leave him. He's not going to willingly lead us where we want to go, and I have no intention of carrying him. He'd only hamper our movements, at best, or actively try and betray us to anyone we came across. Gag him again, and hope he'll be out of it for a while. Hang on, I have an idea."

Pulling out a pen, ink, and some parchment, she hastily scrawled a note and pinned it to the old man. Then, she took some scarlet ink and drew a dashed line across the man's throat.

"That should take care of it. Let's be off."

@all

If anyone cares to read the note

I told them everything. I didn't want to, but they tortured me. The best thing you can do for me now is to cut along the dashed line.

Godskook
2010-03-11, 10:02 AM
Watching the other arcanist scrawl notes upon the prisoner and seeing what was written, Jonathan comments to her in a disapproving tone. Jacelyn, I'll not prove weak enough to leave him to die by another's hand instead of my own. No, if he's to die today, I'll be killing him.

Jonathan steps back a moment, and considers the options for a moment, before the question hits him again. Aranis, please solve this riddle for me. Has our friend's aura stabilized? If so, on what? That, I suspect, will quickly decide our path for us.

Jade_Tarem
2010-03-11, 10:22 AM
Aranis gives a sad smile. "Sorry, but if he's using magic to hide his aura, there's no way of knowing for certain if or when I'm getting a clear reading. We must decide for ourselves." He hesitates. "If it helps, I have the power, by the authority of Myth Drannor, to 'destroy any reasonably perceived threat' to my people, which is part of the reason that I'm here in the first place. Technically, I'm legally allowed to kill just about anything on this island as long as I think it's contributing to the greater threat. I can be judge, jury, and executioner, but is his death necessary? I'm not sure..."

He gives a sideways look at Solas. "As for carrying him, I'm strong enough to drag him around with us. The question is whether you're willing to accept a few seconds of delay in each fight as I drop him and draw a greatsword. A lot could happen in that added time."

Godskook
2010-03-11, 10:35 AM
Check anyway. You said the aura flickered when we got aggressive with him. Magic that holds on its own doesn't do that normally. Its the ones you need to concentrate on that waver when you're distracted. If he was hiding behind such magic, it'll be gone now.

Jade_Tarem
2010-03-11, 10:56 AM
Aranis stares for a full twenty seconds.

3 rounds of detect evil. What's the verdict?

Firebeard
2010-03-11, 11:21 AM
@Aranis

Definitely evil. The aura is of faint strength (0-10 HD)

Jade_Tarem
2010-03-11, 12:58 PM
At the end of that time, Aranis closes his eyes. "You were right. His defenses have faded. He's more or less rotten to the core, though not very capable."

He looks around at his companions. "So now what?"

Sliver
2010-03-11, 01:02 PM
"He didn't prove to be troublesome to hold and he is our captive. We can't leave him off to almost certain death, torture or escape, or just kill him off. We should drag him around, and if he proves to be dangerous to keep, we will decide what to do then."

Fuzzies
2010-03-11, 01:04 PM
Jacelyn looks wryly at Jonathan, "It's not weakness to allow your enemies to harm each other. It's part of what makes them evil and us good. However, I don't really care much one way or the other, but I am really not happy to think of this guy coming to and causing us problems if we are hauling him around like a 200 pound sack of suet."

Nox Lupus
2010-03-11, 01:08 PM
Solas nods in agreement (with the Cleric).

Solas then looks to Aranis and approaches him. Removing the ring from his finger as he goes, Solas says "I can understand the situation this will be, Aranis, especially as we are certain to need your swift sword when we find Hotar. Here, I'll trade you, I would think that the protections of this ring would compensate for any delay carrying and setting down, our friend here would represent."

Solas offers his +2 ring to Aranis...:smallsmile:

Jade_Tarem
2010-03-11, 01:26 PM
Aranis doesn't make a move to take the ring. "It's not my own safety that I'm concerned about. Besides, the ring I've got now is almost as good."

He leans against the wall and thinks, rubbing the bridge of his nose as he does so, and thinks through the options. After a moment, he begins thinking out loud.

"If we leave him here, he'll either get free and cause us problems, or someone will kill him. If he causes us problems, we'll most likely have to kill him then, and maybe he takes one of us with him. Either way, he winds up dead."

Aranis looks at Jonathan and Jacelyn. "If we kill him here, he obviously ends up dead that way too." He shifts his gaze to Alliston and Solas. "If we take him with us, he may cause problems then as well, in addition to taxing resources that are already strained. He may also die in combat regardless of what we do. Assuming that we carry him around and keep him alive the whole time we're down here, what next? What do you hope to accomplish by trying to keep him with us?"

Godskook
2010-03-11, 01:28 PM
No, Jacelyn, you're mistaken. I've killed men by proxy before. Its equivalent to doing it yourself. The nightmares come just the same. Now, Barty has helped us, and to me, that means we owe him something, the least of which would be as painless a death as we can manage. After a moment to consider the situation, Jon laughs a little. Its quite rare that the Evoker would choose the subtle path while the Conjurer argues for directness. It sounds almost as if someone is telling a joke.

Jade_Tarem
2010-03-11, 01:31 PM
Aranis tilts his head to one side. "If so, the joke's on us."

Sliver
2010-03-11, 01:32 PM
"Redemption at best, fair trial and punishment, at least." He tells Aranis "This is not a matter of convenience. He is a captive, and if we don't treat him fairly, how could we hope a lesser man will give us the chance? I hope that this treatement will give him a reason to want to change, maybe it will make a difference, maybe not. I'm willing to take responsibility for that. I will drag him. My offensive abilities aren't that grand anyway."

Jade_Tarem
2010-03-11, 02:07 PM
"Redemption?" Aranis sighs. "It's not as common as you'd think. Also, I sincerely doubt being bound and dragged through multiple battlegrounds is going to sweeten his disposition." He looks at the bound Barty. "And convenience isn't the issue - it's plausability. Do you seriously intend to keep up with him for the days, or possibly weeks, that we're on this island?"

He shakes his head. "If we were closer to some point of civilization, I would consider it, but as it is, I think it poses an unnecessary risk to the entire expedition. As for fair chances, I don't think you have to worry about that. Every living thing on the island has either tried to con us, or kill us on sight."

Aranis considers. "What if we stashed him in that hidden hallway and cut the controls on both the inside and the outside? Someone quick could roll out of there before the wall closed, and then he'd be stuck until someone cut him out." Aranis slams his sword into the stone floor for emphasis. "He has very little reason to escape - he can either go beg Hotar for an unlikely forgiveness, or sit tight and hope that we take care of Hotar before something finds him, which will be unlikely, since he's sealed away. We can cut him out on the way out."

He looks at the others. "How about that? We don't have to slow ourselves dragging him around. At the same time, it will take him a while to get free of the bonds, and nothing will come across him and kill him in the meantime. If we move quickly, we could be done and out of here before he slips his bonds and teleports out."

Sliver
2010-03-11, 02:15 PM
Alliston sights "Fair enough. We don't know how long we will be here so we should at least leave some food and drink to him. There should still be left some way back."

Nox Lupus
2010-03-11, 02:18 PM
To Aranis, "No aranis, he shall be a free man once Hotar is slain. I believe he will pose no threat to us once Hotar is gone. I believe our actions; my healing him, our keeping him safe and freeing him from Hotar, a man he fears so much, will also free his soul to embrace a life in the sun.

Solas conciders Aranis' final remark, "I'm not opposed to the idea of confining him, but seeing as he can teleport about, there is no reason to think Hotar, the master of this dungeon, couldn't do the same to find him. I still say we bring him with us until Hotar is slain, then let him make his own choice. If he attacks us, well... he's proven to be little threat on his own. If not, then he is free to live his own life. Either way, we all get to walk away from this with a clean conscience, knowing we did everything we could." Looking at Barty "...he is no beast-man, he is not beyond the chance of redemption."

Nox Lupus
2010-03-11, 02:23 PM
Hearing the cleric's words, Solas' shoulders slump "Very well then, lets stash him there and be off to slay this fiend."

Fuzzies
2010-03-12, 08:31 AM
"Fine! Let's go." Looking at Jonathan's sketch she remarks "We can save time if we cut through the cage room to that hallway outside the room with all the adventuring gear. Basically retracing our steps back to where we started."

Jade_Tarem
2010-03-12, 10:59 AM
Aranis nods. "Agreed."

Firebeard
2010-03-12, 02:27 PM
Aranis hoists the unconscious man's body and you backtrack to the secret passageway adjoining the cage room. The opening mechanisms outside the passage are easily disabled and Ol' Barty is unceremoniously dumped inside.
You look around the cage room once again and prepare to exit via the South door, the one you originally entered through.

Godskook
2010-03-12, 06:35 PM
Hold up, guys. Jonathan says. Aranis, can you see anything in those corridors? As he asks, Jonathan moves towards the north door, inspecting it, in case there's cause to 'visit' it immediately.

[roll0]

Firebeard
2010-03-12, 09:04 PM
@Jonathan

The door is locked, but does not appear to be trapped at all.

@Aranis

There does not appear to be any evil auras in the hallways, as far as you can tell.

Jade_Tarem
2010-03-12, 09:07 PM
"It's clear of evil auras, if that's what you meant."

Godskook
2010-03-13, 12:58 AM
It is. Any mage powerful enough to create the things we've seen is someone that demands our full attention.

Unless there's objection, Jonathan takes the lead, heading towards where Barty described. He takes the usual cautions, but doesn't expect anything unusual from the halls he's already swept.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Firebeard
2010-03-13, 07:13 AM
The group makes its way to the locked door leading to the area Barty described. The door is wooden, with iron bands around it, similar to almost all of the doors you have seen in this basement so far. Listening intently, you cannot hear a thing beyond the door.

Godskook
2010-03-14, 10:14 PM
Listening intently, Jon makes sure the door is not guarded by anything, he hopes, before opening it.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Note: My sheet doesn't list bonuses due to tools I keep in my pack normally. When possible(for instance: Now) I will always grab my Mwk Tools for the +2 bonus they provide.

Also, is there an updated map?

Firebeard
2010-03-15, 07:23 AM
Jonathan doesn't notice any signs that the room is occupied, and the door opens quietly. The room is lit similarly to the rest of the basement, with lamps in sconces along the walls. Tapestries abound here, and there are 3 statues lined up against the Western wall. The only other exit from teh room is a closed door in the far corner of the room.

Here is the map so far. (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasementSofar.png) You might have to refresh because I just used the old name.

Godskook
2010-03-16, 01:59 AM
Jonathan calls the others forward, and goes about searching the room, and then begins looking for the secret door their friend mentioned earlier.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Firebeard
2010-03-16, 07:00 AM
As you enter the room, one of the first things you notice is the gems in the statues' eyes. They shine as if with some inner fire in hues of red, blue, and green.

@Jonathan

You notice some rock chips on the floor in small piles.

Suddenly, as you approach the statues, they spring to life and attack!

@all

worst round of spot checks ever, you guys roll 3 2s, a 4, and a 6 to spot the living statues :smallfrown:

Place yourselves on the map (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement15.png), everyone inside the door please.

Sliver
2010-03-16, 07:07 AM
Alliston is a bit distracted lately.. Didn't even bother looking!

Is there room inside the door for all of us? Wait. I don't think I understood that.. Straight south/down of w/e Jacelyn is.

Fuzzies
2010-03-16, 07:12 AM
Place Jacelyn in E4 then, where she can back into the hall if necessary.

Nox Lupus
2010-03-16, 07:24 AM
I'll take E6

Godskook
2010-03-16, 09:25 AM
C4 for me

FillerFillerFillerFillerFiller

Jade_Tarem
2010-03-16, 12:01 PM
D5 for Aranis.

Initiative: [roll0]

Firebeard
2010-03-16, 01:33 PM
Surprise Round

The three statues of armored men wielding greatswords are very lifelike. Even more so when they raise their weapons as one and charge your party! There is no subtlety about their attacks, no attempt to focus on any one person. They simply charge the person closest to them. The attack is more sudden than you would expect from creatures made of stone.

The statue with eyes of sapphire squares off against Solas and levels a mighty blow with its greatsword at his torso.
attack: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

The statue with eyes of jade lines up its blows against those of Aranis.
attack: [roll2]
damage: [roll3]

The statue with ruby eyes strikes down at Jonathan.
attack: [roll4]
damage: [roll5]

Edit: Jonathan takes 8 dmg, Aranis takes 8 dmg

Apparently I forgot to link the map (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement15a.png).

Though caught by surprise, Jonathan and Solas were able to avoid any damage from their attackers' swings. Aranis however was not so fortunate. The Statue's level strike broke through his guard and bit deeply into his side.

Firebeard
2010-03-16, 02:06 PM
On to round 1...

Initiative order:

You
monsters

25 Solas
21 Jonathan
19 Aranis
13 Jacelyn
11 Alliston
6 Statues

Sliver
2010-03-16, 02:44 PM
Alliston will cast bless and draw his weapon.

Nox Lupus
2010-03-16, 03:18 PM
Solas' eyes go wide at the statues sudden animation.

Sense Motive 20
Solas appears unnerved, frightened even.

Solas strikes a combative stance and attempts to gauge this new opponent.

@GM
Solas is Fighting Defensively as a Full-Round Action (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsincombat.htm#fightingdefensivelyasafullroun daction).

Flurry-
Attack1- [roll0]
Dmg- [roll1]
Gloves- [roll2]

Attack2- [roll3]
Dmg- [roll4]
Gloves- [roll5]

Fuzzies
2010-03-16, 04:32 PM
Jacelyn turns as the statues spring to life and strike out at her companions. Muttering an incantation and making arcane gestures with her left hand, she sends a spell out at the statue confronting Jonathan. "Tiendsa!" she cries, completing the spell.

Casting inhibit at the statue in B5. DC16 will save or delay its actions until Jacelyn's next turn.

SR: [roll0]

Godskook
2010-03-16, 07:10 PM
Jonathan takes a step back from the golem nearest him and quaffs a potion, hoping one would be enough for this job.

5' step to D4, quaff the bull's strength potion

How long does this potion last?

Jade_Tarem
2010-03-17, 12:11 AM
Aranis grunts with the hit, then grins weakly. "Well, that's enough of that."

When the statue swings again, Aranis's blade flashes to meet it's sword - twice.

Sunder 1: [roll0] (Improved Sunder + 2h Weapon)
Sunder 2: [roll1]

Damage 1: [roll2]
Damage 2: [roll3]

Firebeard
2010-03-17, 06:57 AM
As Jonathan backed away from his foe and quaffed a potion, Jacelyn's spell hit it in the face. The red eyes glazed as the living statue froze in place for a few seconds.

Solas's blows slammed into the creature opposing him. The first chipped a good sized chunk of stone off the statue, but the second glanced harmlessly off the stone skin.

As the third monster loomed over Aranis, the knight's sword flashed out in two quick strikes. The first nicked a good sized chunk of stone from his opponent's stone blade. The second finished the job and the top 2/3 of the stone greatsword fell to shatter upon the floor.

In silence, the only sound being the slight grating of their stone skin against stone armaments, the statues pressed in. Their attacks are useless against the combined mobility and armor of the heroes (that's you) and no damage is done.

The green one swings its sword at Solas with a mighty blow.
attack [roll0]

The blue eyed one swings its stony fist at Aranis with a mighty blow.
attack [roll2]

The red eyed one will go before Jacelyn at 13 in the count.

Here is the updated map (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement15b.png)...

Round 2:

Initiative order:
25 Solas
21 Jonathan
19 Aranis
13 Red Statue
13 Jacelyn
11 Alliston
6 Blue and Green Statues

Don't forget your bonuses for bless!

Nox Lupus
2010-03-17, 07:43 AM
Feeling a bit more confident, Solas shakes off his initial shock and assaults the living statue with reckless abandon...

@GM

Flurry-
Attack1- [roll0]
Dmg- [roll1]
Gloves- [roll2]

Attack2- [roll3]
Dmg- [roll4]
Gloves- [roll5]

Sliver
2010-03-17, 11:25 AM
Stepping through to C4, Alliston attacks Red. (sorry for lack of description, have other stuff on my mind at the moment..)

[roll0]
[roll1]

Jade_Tarem
2010-03-17, 01:45 PM
Aranis whips his sword around and begins hacking at the green-eyed statue.

Attack 1 (PA 2): [roll0]
Attack 2 (PA 2): [roll1]

Godskook
2010-03-17, 06:22 PM
Time for action Jonathan says, stepping forward again, swinging both his daggers, disappointed to be fighting something so...protected.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

both targeting the green one. If the first kills the green due to Aranis' previous work, target the red with the second one.

Firebeard
2010-03-17, 09:03 PM
Solas waded in to his opponent with a flurry of fists, the first strike landed true and tore another chunk of stone from the statue. The second was blocked by the statue's flailing sword.

Aranis fared better. His strikes bit deeply into his opponent, creating huge gouges in its torso. The whole thing looked as if it was about to crumble, but the magic that gave it life held it together.

Jonathan's strikes barely scratched the surface of his opponent, doing no damage at all. The statue's stone skin turned the blades of his daggers as if they were blades of grass.

In return, the Ruby-eyed statue strikes at Jonathan from the side. but once again the mageling disappears and reappears just out of range.

Jonathan takes 12 damage disappears again.

Jacelyn's turn. Map will be updated as soon as I can find my files. I know they were here somewhere.

Godskook
2010-03-17, 09:35 PM
SONOVA Jonathan hollers, disappearing beneath the creature's swing. The last of his immediate magic now expended, the mage thought hard how he could help engage these strange foes. Reappearing next to Jacelyn, he calls out, They're protected. Only strong or magical things will hurt them. Aranis, you and Solas are probably strong enough, but I doubt that Alliston or I could do more than distract them.

And back to D4 for myself, I guess. I'm not sure how I'm going to contribute further to this encounter, but let's see if I can!

Sliver
2010-03-18, 01:01 AM
Alliston will change tactics in response to Jon's warning and try to be useful. If his actions won't work, he will try to be useful in a different way.

He drops his weapon as he moves through his allies and aims at the creature.

Provoking AoO, if the AoO is a misses, a touch attack:
[roll0]
[roll1]

If hit but str check failed and he prompts to try and trip me back, another str check [roll2]

Fuzzies
2010-03-18, 07:02 AM
Jacelyn pulls a scroll from her robes and reads it. As she completes the spell, a blue/white orb appears to shimmer in her hand. She throws it at the statue closest to her (the one with ruby eyes).

Ranged touch attack

hit: [roll0]

Firebeard
2010-03-18, 07:14 AM
Jacelyn's spell strikes the ruby eyed statue in the head, tearing a chunk from it and destroying one of the ruby eyes. The monster gives a silent roar of pain and turns its body in an obvious attack posture towards the half-elf mage.

As Alliston moves in to trip the statue, it lashes out at him in response. The blow connects solidly and Alliston feels a line of fire across his side as the stone blade creases through a gap in his armor. He manages to get a hand on the creature's leg, but fails to trip it as he intended.

aoo: [roll0]

Alliston takes 13 damage. Risky move

Sliver
2010-03-18, 07:15 AM
Protection Devotion activated in response.

Firebeard
2010-03-18, 07:21 AM
Jade takes another swing at Aranis. With its greatsword broken, its attacks aren't quite as effective, but its heavy blows can still harm the unarmored head of the Knight. one such blow caught Aranis a glancing strike behind the ear that stung the warrior, but not seriously.

Aranis takes 5 damage.

The sapphire-eyed statue continues to pummel Solas with its greatsword.

Firebeard
2010-03-18, 07:24 AM
potential threat on Aranis.
[roll0]

Sliver
2010-03-18, 07:24 AM
*points up. With the AC bonus it didn't connect*

Firebeard
2010-03-18, 07:33 AM
Okay, on to Round 3

Here is the updated map... (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement15c.png)

Initiative order:
25 Solas
21 Jonathan
19 Aranis
13 Red Statue
13 Jacelyn
11 Alliston
6 Blue and Green Statues

Don't forget your bonuses for bless and prot devotion!

Godskook
2010-03-18, 08:53 AM
Who has that magical dagger?

Fuzzies
2010-03-18, 09:07 AM
"I do" said Jacelyn. "It's in my pack!"

Firebeard
2010-03-18, 09:16 AM
No, it isn't. You swapped out your regular one with the magical one like the intelligent mage you are. *wink, wink, nudge, nudge*

Fuzzies
2010-03-18, 11:16 AM
"Wait a minute! No, I swapped daggers with the one on my belt sheath."

Keep your hand to the dagger boyo, or we're gonna have some friendly fire accidents in a minute :smallwink:

Godskook
2010-03-18, 11:48 AM
All business, Jonathan reaches to Jacelyn's belt, grabbing the dagger. On the draw, he smiles, knowing he probably bumped at least one or two things by accident that he'd hear about later, but his mind focused on the task at hand. With his own daggers clattering to the floor, Jonathan steps back into the fray and attempts to plunge this dagger as far into one of the statues as he can.

[roll0]
[roll1]

The middle one, that Aranis has already wounded.

Firebeard
2010-03-18, 12:03 PM
Jonathan's bold maneuver earned him a decisive strike against the already fragile statue. The damage done by his new dagger was enough to break the magical bindings on the creature and the statue fell to the floor. As it struck, shards of marble skittered across the smooth floor.

Sliver
2010-03-18, 12:28 PM
Alliston will ready an action to aid to an attack against the statue next to him.

[roll0]

FAIL

Nox Lupus
2010-03-18, 06:44 PM
Solas keeps up the barrage on 'His' statue...

@GM

Flurry-
Attack1- [roll0]
Dmg- [roll1]
Gloves- [roll2]

Attack2- [roll3]
Dmg- [roll4]
Gloves- [roll5]

Jade_Tarem
2010-03-18, 09:17 PM
Aranis staggers back, crosseyed and weaving his sword in a defensive pattern before Jonathan finishes off the statue. He recovers and steps up to try and finish off Solas's target.

Attack 1: [roll0]
Attack 2: [roll1]

Firebeard
2010-03-18, 09:33 PM
Solas' initial flurry of blows peters out as his latest batch of attacks graze harmlessly from the stone statue. Both attacks, though initially placed with care, failed to break through the enchanted stone skin.

Aranis fared better. Stepping forward, he brought his sword down in a decisive cut that left a glittering crystallized wound in the Ruby-eyed statue's already battered torso.

The statue turned to face this newest threat and lashed out with its greatsword at the Knight. The stone blade merely glanced from Aranis' sturdy armor.

Aiming at Aranis

Jacelyn goes, then the other statues.
Here is the updated map (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement15d.png). Aranis, the only was I could 5' step you into contact with Alliston's target was to put you in a flanking position.

Fuzzies
2010-03-19, 05:52 AM
Jacelyn, seeing the trio beating on the statue with red eyes, switched her gaze to Solas and his target. Pulling her wand from its place on her belt she sent a stream of blue missiles at its arm.

Magic Missiles, CL3
damage: [roll0]

Firebeard
2010-03-19, 07:02 AM
Jacelyn's magic missiles slammed into the left side of the body of the blue-eyed statue fighting Solas. The statue lost some of its integrity as chips and pieces of its torso rained down on the floor. The monster thrashed against the onslaught and struck out hard against Solas. The monk twisted deftly out of reach, and the blade went wide.

Meanwhile, the other statue glared out of its single ruby eye at Aranis and sent its blade flashing in again. Outnumbered, it maintained the presence of mind to strike at the one opponent that was seriously injuring it. The blade flashed harmlessly aside as Aranis picked it off with his ancestral blade.

Sapphire eyes strike at Solas

Ruby eyes strike at Aranis

No damage!

on to Round 4

Here is the updated map... (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement15e.png)

Initiative order:
25 Solas
21 Jonathan
19 Aranis
13 Red Statue
13 Jacelyn
11 Alliston
6 Blue and Statue

Don't forget your bonuses for bless and prot devotion!

Nox Lupus
2010-03-19, 07:33 AM
See the flash of magic some from Jacelyn's direction, Solas' trademark :smallsmile: returns. Feeling that a comrade is fighting 'along side him', he attempts to focus and strikes out at the construct again...

@GM

Flurry-
Attack1- [roll0]
Dmg- [roll1]
Gloves- [roll2]

Attack2- [roll3]
Dmg- [roll4]
Gloves- [roll5]

Nox Lupus
2010-03-19, 07:35 AM
@GM

If you use the potential crit fail option...
Confirm- [roll0]
Otherwise disregard

Firebeard
2010-03-19, 07:42 AM
Solas' fists flashed out and smacked into the statue with a loud crack. The statue shivered slightly and then crumbled to the ground.

I don't use fumbles. You guys are going to have a hard enough time with the endurance without having to work about cutting off your own foot as well. An auto-miss is good enough.

Nox Lupus
2010-03-19, 08:45 AM
"Hrmph, :smallamused:" Solas mutters as he regards the remains of his opponent.

Fuzzies
2010-03-19, 01:10 PM
Seeing the impact of the missiles on the first target, Jacelyn changed her aim and fired a stream at the red-eyed statue as well.

If it gets to be my turn...

damage: [roll0]

Sliver
2010-03-19, 01:15 PM
Alliston will move to B4 to provide possible flanking bonus easier and fakes another attack to help an attack against red eyes

[roll0]

Godskook
2010-03-19, 02:18 PM
Jonathan keeps the assault going on the statue, hoping to drop one so that the last can be overwhelmed.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Firebeard
2010-03-19, 03:20 PM
Twisting to get under the flailing arms and sword of the statue, Jonathan darts his blade forward. The edge of the dagger skitters harmlessly across magically hardened skin, as the blade fails to penetrate the creature's natural armor.

Jade_Tarem
2010-03-20, 06:59 PM
Aranis keeps hacking.

Attack 1: [roll0]
Attack 2: [roll1]

Firebeard
2010-03-20, 07:15 PM
Aranis' first swing hacks off another chunk of marble, sending the statue reeling. The second swing was mistimed, and barely missed taking the statue's head off. In return, the great stone blade came across at Aranis once more, trying to stave in his ribs, or perhaps remove a limb. The armor of the Knight was resilient enough to ward off the blow, and the worst Aranis felt was a solid thump from his left side.

hit: [roll0]

Almost before the statue has finished swinging, Jacelyn's missiles slammed into it, sending a shower of stone ships across the room. Jonathan and Alliston ducked as the stone shards flew out at them in a stinging hail. When all had subsided, the statue was a crumbled ruin, with a single red gem twinkling near the top of the pile.

Nox Lupus
2010-03-21, 07:50 PM
Taking stock, Solas looks about at his comrades and asks "Is anyone hurt?"

Godskook
2010-03-21, 08:18 PM
Not I, though I doubt I'll be so fortunate in the future.

Jade_Tarem
2010-03-21, 09:23 PM
"A bit, but it's not too bad. I can keep going."

Nox Lupus
2010-03-22, 07:29 AM
"Nevertheless Aranis, we need everyone healed up..." Solas pulls out his wand and proceeds to tap Aranis with it, softly reciting the command word

Solas goes until aranis' wounds are closed
Wand-[roll0]
Wand-[roll1]
Wand-[roll2]
...let me know if aranis needs more, or after which charge he hit full.

Nox Lupus
2010-03-22, 07:55 AM
Once healed, Solas will give Aranis a hearty slap on the shoulder and a :smallbiggrin:. He then proceeds to collect the gems from statue he had fought.

Sliver
2010-03-22, 08:44 AM
Alliston looks up from the stony remains of the creatures and looks at Solas in silence. He appears to be bruised up a bit, but he has his own healing, but something else looks to be on Alliston's mind and he looks unfocused.

Nox Lupus
2010-03-22, 08:50 AM
@GM

QR-
Spot- [roll0]
...to spot that he appears injured, also if successful
Sense Motive- [roll1]
...to see whats up with alliston

Nox Lupus
2010-03-22, 09:20 AM
Given Sliver's OOC comments...

Picking up the two 'eyes', Solas turns and regards Alliston. "Are you alright, Alliston?":smallconfused:

Sliver
2010-03-22, 09:22 AM
"Yeah" He says distantly, but almost instantly he shakes his head "Well, no.. It's..." He sighs and shakes his head again "Not important. Forget it."

Nox Lupus
2010-03-22, 09:29 AM
Solas c*cks his head to the side at his brother-in-faith's reluctance to share his inner turmoil. Solas walks over to him and, as the others are recouperating themselves, sits down/stands infront of Allison(depending on his current posture).

"Come now Brother, this victory should lighten your spirit, not leaden it? What troubles you?":smallsmile:

Sliver
2010-03-22, 09:41 AM
"It's really.. I donno.. This whole thing. It's just not what I expected. I led battles before, don't get me wrong, I'm not new to violence. I am a born leader, it shouldn't be something I can't handle.. But it.. From the moment I came, everything was so.. Seeing my brothers, we served in the same temple for years, and these monsters just downed them, like it's nothing. There were other things, but since we encountered that man.. It's just not how I'm used to deal with these things. We always tried to capture and convert, help them see the light. Not shove into a dark room and hope they are still there when we have some more time. This whole handling of things, mission first, survivors are secondary priority.. I can understand the position, but we hardly tried.."

Jade_Tarem
2010-03-22, 09:55 AM
Aranis frowns. "I think I know what you mean. Tell me, though... have you ever led one of these missions so far away from your temples? From the institutional power that backed you up, and surrounded on all sides by pressing, omnipresent evil? I mean, I haven't either, but it seems to me that there will be no happy captures and conversions for anyone should we be killed." He gestures in a vaguely 'everywhere' direction. "Look around you. On this rock is a man who warped an entire village full of people into monsters, weaving evil magic into their very being - this after a dark sorcerer took over the island. A few hours ago, what were once children tried to gut us. Stories like this don't have happy endings for all involved."

He pulls out a cloth and begins wiping off his blade. "I suppose what I'm trying to say is that we are trying to limit death and bloodshed. We're just not going to succeed very often."

Nox Lupus
2010-03-22, 10:00 AM
Hearing someone giving voice to many of his own concerns, Solas sighs heavily.
"I understand, Alliston, and you speak to many of my own conerns. I have never fought along side any but my fellow monks before either. This, place seems to work against our best intentions. I hope Barty is still there, and hail, when we return for him, but remember that we maybe the only lights Lathander has on this gods forsaken island.

Nodding to Aranis' points
"I must believe that we are here for some greater purpose. I believe stopping the evil we now hunt is one of those reasons. We must work towards the greater good, especially if those we would help refuse to see the light. We cannot sacrifice those whom we have not reached yet because of the deceptions and evil of the few in our way. There may yet be innocents ahead of us that we can still save from Hotar's depredations!"

Fuzzies
2010-03-22, 10:10 AM
Looking up from scavenging the gems on the downed statues Jacelyn said "I don't think anyone with good in their hearts really likes to look too closely at some of the means we must use to meet good objectives. The greater good can be a truly awful standard when it is used to justify the worst excesses of our nature. Keeping the goal of good in mind, and taking every measure appropriate to the situation to make the means to the end the best we can is all we can hope to do."

Jacelyn looked uncomfortable for a moment, then continued "My training has left me with far more regard for the expedient than the right, I am afraid. And sometimes that is what is necessary to move on. I doubt anyone can be perfectly good, purely forgiving in this world and still combat evil in its home places. There is just too many "gray" situations where there is no pure and perfect solution. "

Nox Lupus
2010-03-22, 10:20 AM
:smallsmile: at Jacelyn, Solas remarks "I'd like to believe that the means justify the ends. I don't want to think of anything befalling that ragged soul we left tied up back there, but whatever his fate here, I will be able to go on knowing I did what I could to try to help him, and I still believe he is redeemable. Somethings in this world are trully corrupt, and seek to do nothing but bring others down to their level, but those, like us, who strive to do better than our 'base nature' share some part of Lathander's light within them, and that is something that cannot be corrupted. If we keep our intentions in mind when we act, then evil will not be able corrupt us." Solas gestures at the group as he speaks. A broad smile parts his mouth as he finishes.

Firebeard
2010-03-22, 10:24 AM
As Solas finishes talking, a loud clattering is heard form the next room, as if someone knocked a tray full of dishes onto the floor. The reminder that you are still in unexplored and contested territory is enough to sober the discussion and jolt you back tot he unpleasant realities of dungeon crashing.

don't want to spoil the RP, but you are still in an unexplored rgion here. Feel free to keep up the discussion on the inherent nature of good and evil...just remember ther are things around that want to kill you and eat you :smallbiggrin:

Sliver
2010-03-22, 10:26 AM
Alliston frowns at Aranis and opens his mouth to respond, but instead he jerks his head sideways looking at the direction of the noise.

Nox Lupus
2010-03-22, 10:58 AM
Solas looks in the direction it came from...

@Gm

which direction did it come from?

Nox Lupus
2010-03-22, 01:41 PM
Solas looks to Jonathan...

Godskook
2010-03-22, 03:07 PM
Before the interuption(Because I'm not spending all day at work thinking of what to say just to be ganked by the next encounter):

Jonathan chimes in on the philisophical discussion, adding I find the guilt keeps me sane. My skills don't come by walking the road of the righteous, and the worst things I ever did were done without a single ping of guilt at the time. Feeling guilt, and doing what I do anyway helps me know that there's a reason for it. I shudder to think what would happen when I stopped feeling guilty for things.

-------CRASH-------

Upon hearing the crash, Jon is instantly exploring the room, most particularly the new door that's presented itself. He signals Solas to double-check the far door, in case 'visitors' had come up behind them.

Go to door and listen hard:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Firebeard
2010-03-22, 03:13 PM
@Jonathan

Rushing to the closed door, you realize that it isn't closed after all. It was pushed to, but not fully latched. Beyond, you can hear a few scuffing noises, perhaps some hissed words, and then silence again.

Godskook
2010-03-22, 03:36 PM
Jonathan signals Aranis' attention, and moves quickly to him. Quietly, he asks what the Paladin sees.

[roll0]

Godskook
2010-03-22, 03:40 PM
While Aranis focuses, Jonathan asks for the wand they found earlier. With that in one hand, the magical dagger begrudgingly in his other(his own have been properly sheathed by now), he begins mentally preparring for what he expects to be another battle.

Jade_Tarem
2010-03-22, 04:40 PM
Aranis begins searching for auras again.

Firebeard
2010-03-22, 05:11 PM
@Aranis

You detect nothing immediately outside the door. Scanning left and right, you also detect no evil auras.

Fuzzies
2010-03-22, 05:14 PM
"Here you go Jonathan." Jacelyn hands him the wand of Hold Person. "Be careful in there. And don't fret about the daggers. Those statues were the only thing we've come across yet that your other ones didn't work on."

Jade_Tarem
2010-03-22, 11:26 PM
Aranis blinks in surprise. "No evil auras. None that I can detect, anyway. We may want to avoid the 'run in and kill everything approach,' at least at first."

Nox Lupus
2010-03-23, 07:30 AM
Solas does so...(check the other door that is) before returning to the group.

Godskook
2010-03-23, 09:21 AM
Agreed. There's no time like the present to find out who they are, though. With that, he signals for the others to follow as he bursts through the door, hoping to shock whatever is on the other side.

Firebeard
2010-03-23, 09:30 AM
Jonathan bursts through the door to see a short hallway leading to an open room ahead and to his right. He can only see a few feet into the room, but it is obvious now that anything in the room knows they are coming.

Here is what the party sees. (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement16.png)

Nox Lupus
2010-03-24, 07:38 AM
Solas moves up and pokes his head through the doorway, seeing no immediate/violent reaction fron Jonathan.

Godskook
2010-03-24, 10:41 AM
Jonathan moves quickly, not worried about the noise, to see what's around that corner without exposing himself to harm.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Firebeard
2010-03-24, 10:53 AM
Jonathan looks into the room to see 2 khaasta with scimitars drawn and shield claws held high, only a few feet away from him. Behind them, 2 khaasta with bows are peering over the edge of an upturned table. Shattered crocks and tableware scatter the floor before the upturned table, and is the obvious source of the crashing sound you heard from the other room. Apparently these khaasta heard your battle in the other room and prepared themselves to meet you.

This thought is made clear when your stealthy movements are noticed by the watchful khaasta. A bark of challenge is called out and 2 arrows flash your way.

Spotted by the waiting khaasta.

2 arrows heading your way. You get cover (+4 to AC) if you choose to stand.

Let me know your action (Jonathan), and then combat will begin.

The arrows shatter harmlessly on the wall in front of Jonathan, peppering him with shards of stone, but giving him time to recover. With a bellowing roar, the Khaasta prepare their charge.

Firebeard
2010-03-24, 01:07 PM
Jonathan can call out what you guys are facing as he wishes.

Initiatives:

Aranis: [roll0]
Solas: [roll1]
Jacelyn: [roll2]
Alliston: [roll3]
Jonathan: [roll4]

Firebeard
2010-03-24, 01:08 PM
Oops, forgot the monsters

[roll0]

Round 1:

20 Solas
17 Monsters
14 Jonathan
11 Jacelyn
9 Alliston
3 Aranis

Looks like it will be; Solas, monsters, everyone else. Post it up!

Here is the current map. (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement16a.png)

Nox Lupus
2010-03-24, 02:52 PM
Hearing that there are Khaastas ahead, Solas gets an idea...

Reaching into his backpack, he focuses on one of thethe golden scimitars he picked up from the previous Khaastas. Drawing it out (and flinging the scabbard to the side in the motion), Solas moves through the door and to the opposite corner of the room.

Brandishing the weapon before him, he faces the four and says "You should drop those unless you want to add them to my collection." :smallamused:

@GM

a move-action and a move-action, so I'm spent.
I'd love to make an Intimidate or Diplomacy, but I know I'm out of actions so... we'll see what happens. :smallbiggrin:

Firebeard
2010-03-24, 03:03 PM
The khaastas laugh at the display of bravado, and two arrows fly through the air towards Solas, fired by the archers behind the table. One of the arrows is nimbly dodged, but the other buries itself in Solas' left shoulder.

One of the scimitar-wielding khaasta shouts "Taste my blade human, and I'll taste your flesh!" and charges Solas with blade flashing. The scimitar flashes in with great seppd and strength behind it, but Solas wasn't there to meet it. The agile monk slipped aside as the blade came flashing in, grinning despite the pain in his shoulder.

The other khaasta's blade flashes in at Jonathan as the closer lizard man presses his advantage. The wizard neatly sidesteps and the blade flashes harmlessly by.

2 arrows and a scimitar at Solas

arrow 1: [roll0]

arrow 1: [roll2]
damage: [roll]1d8+2[/roll

scimitar: [roll3]
damage: [roll4]

1 scimitar at jonathan (flat footed)
scimitar: [roll5]
damage: [roll6]

lucky on those scimitar rolls. Solas takes 8 damage from the arrow.

continue round 1 please..

map is updated (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement16b.png)

Fuzzies
2010-03-24, 05:25 PM
Jacelyn twirls her wand in her hand and points it at the creature menacing Jonathan. With a word, blue missiles streak from her wand and fly unerringly at the Khaasta.

Nox Lupus
2010-03-24, 06:43 PM
:smallmad:Dark, these things are fast... Solas thinks to himself as he sees his only avenue of escape, and aid, cut off...

Godskook
2010-03-24, 07:07 PM
Aranis, can you get this thing out of my way? Jonathan says as he steps back, throwing the magical dagger at the creature.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Firebeard
2010-03-25, 06:52 AM
As Jonathan steps back from the khaasta, two small blue missile come sailing over his head to slam into the beast's chest and shoulders. The blows rock the creature backwards, and one of the straps holding its left pauldron in place snaps under the magical blows.

Alliston and Aranis both move for the door at the same time, nearly getting stuck in the entrance. Alliston, seeing the greatsword swinging freely decides to let Aranis through first.

The knight shouted "Make a hole" as he pushed past Alliston, Jacelyn, and Jonathan to square off in front of the khaasta blocking the entrance to the room. In the tight quarters of the hallway, it was difficult for him to bring much power to bear on his swing, as the greatsword flashed at the opponent. the cramped quarters, combined with the khaasta's formidable armor caused the blow to be ineffectual.

Aranis attack: [roll0]

Round 2:

20 Solas
17 Monsters
14 Jonathan
11 Jacelyn
9 Alliston
3 Aranis

Here is the current map (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement16c.png)

Nox Lupus
2010-03-25, 07:23 AM
Solas, realizing his plan had gone awry, quickly drops the sciitar and side steps the khaasta engaging him before taking two fast and hard swings at it :smallmad:.

@GM

5' adjust to B8
Attack1-[roll0]
Dmg-[roll1]
Gloves-[roll2]

Attack2-[roll3]
Dmg-[roll4]
Gloves-[roll5]

Firebeard
2010-03-25, 08:51 AM
Solas's first strike lands true, rocking the khaasta back on its heels. the second was blocked by the enormous shield claw. In return, the khaasta lashed out with its golden blade. As Solas dodged the blows, it lunged forward with its jaws open and fastened them on his already wounded shoulder.

The khaasta facing Aranis sneered and said "Little manling, what a puny blow. Perhaps you'd like some lessons before you die?" Then, in a series of looping cuts, he sent the scimitar flashing at Aranis. As the Knight attempted to fend off the scimitar, the shield claw with its razor sharp edge crashed into his side.

Both archers seemed content to fire arrows into the melee involving Solas, but the dodging monk easily avoided the shafts.

Against Solas:

arrow1: [roll0]

arrow2: [roll2]

scimitar: [roll4]

bite: [roll6]
damage: [roll7]

Against Aranis:

scimitar: [roll8]
damage: [roll9]

shield claw: [roll10]
damage: [roll11]

Solas takes 9 damage.

Aranis takes 13 damage and 12 damage.

Okay, the rest of the party is up.

Fuzzies
2010-03-25, 11:32 AM
Again Jacelyn launched a barrage of missiles at the khaasta, before stepping back to make room for Alliston in the hallway. Until they helped Aranis clear the monster from the end of the passageway, things were going to be crowded. "Clear the passageway!" she shouted.

Godskook
2010-03-25, 05:23 PM
Jonathan grabs his other potion and chugs, knowing he'd need the added umph to fight these guys toe-to-toe. As he does, he calls out to Solas. Help us clear the door and I'll have your back, man.

Firebeard
2010-03-26, 07:36 AM
Once again Jacelyn's missiles blasted into the khaasta, tearing off scales and completely severing the straps on the dangling pauldron. It fell to the floor with a clatter as Aranis struck.

Grunting from the explosions of pain in his side, Aranis throws all that he has into his attacks. The greatsword sings through the confines of the hallway, at one point digging a gouge in the wall as it sailed towards the

attack1: [roll0]

attack2: [roll2]

Both of Arani's strikes land true. The first slashes deep into the shoulder exposed by the damaged pauldron. The backswing flashes across and takes the monster's throat out. Gagging through the blood, the monster keels over, opening the way to the room beyond.

Okay, the way is clear. I believe Alliston still has an action in Round 2, then Round 3 begins with Solas.

Round 3:

20 Solas
17 Monsters
14 Jonathan
11 Jacelyn
9 Alliston
3 Aranis

Here is the current map (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement16d.png)

Nox Lupus
2010-03-26, 07:59 AM
Solas again shifts back away from the Khaasta. While focusing on protecting himself, Solas reaches into his bag and focuses on one of his potions of Cat's Grace. Pulling it out, he downs the contents. Solas then adopts a defensive stance.

@GM

5' adjust (to C8)
Potion- Dex +4
Full-defensive (+2 AC, -4 hit til next round)

Not that it matters, but that would push my init up by 2...

Sliver
2010-03-26, 08:18 AM
Alliston holds for a moment and then sprints through his allies, seeing the way clears.

Alliston moves to D4 for his second turn actions.

Third turn actions:

Dashing into the room, he moves towards the barricaded foes and leaps in a distracting way.

"Behold! I am the knight of the PAN!" He shouts as he swings his morningstar.

Move to D1 and strike.

[roll0]
[roll1]

"The PAN is mightier then the bow!"

Firebeard
2010-03-26, 01:36 PM
Solas' opponent charges forth again, scimitar swinging. The golden blade flashed at the monk as the beast snarled. The blade slipped under Solas' defenses and scored a deep wound in his right side.

The other two khaasta, frustrated at the lack of damage of their bowfire dropped their bows and drew their scimitars in single, swift motions. Both charged the newest opponent, practically burying Alliston under their combined lizard fury. His shield sent one opponent stumbling back, but the other got a nasty cut in on Alliston's right arm.

Attack on Solas: [roll0]

Attack1 on Alliston: [roll2]

Attack2 on Alliston: [roll4]

Solas takes 11 damage. Alliston takes 9 damage.

Map is updated. (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement16e.png)

Alliston is free to change his Round 3 actions, of course.

Nox Lupus
2010-03-26, 02:03 PM
Solas grunts from the nasty wound...

@GM

Not to be my own executioner, but isn't an 18 in the scimitar's critcal threat range...
also, I moved to C8...(see last post)

Godskook
2010-03-26, 06:12 PM
True to his word, Jonathan rushes forward(dropping the wand and drawing his own daggers as he does so), attempting to maneuver himself into an advantageous position on the Khaasta. Realizing he can't, he makes do, striking as hard as he can, and hoping for a hit.

Move to C6, attacking the critter fighting Solas.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Disgusted, Jonathan calls out. Alliston, can you protect my flank? Solas is wounded and we need to get this guy off him fast.

Fuzzies
2010-03-26, 08:59 PM
Hearing Aranis take down his foe, and Jonathan rushing to Solas' aid, Jacelyn moves back into the hallway. Her wand has served her well so far, so she uses it again on the monster slashing wildly at Solas. The blue missiles streak past the dodging monk, one coming close enough to make his hair move, and smash into the lizard man.

Firebeard
2010-03-27, 06:59 AM
Jonathan's attacks seem to confuse the creature with their speed and darting movements at first, but as the daggers slide frim its armored hide it begins to laugh.

Suddenly, Jacelyn's missile came blasting in once more. Peppering the khaasta's upper torso the blue corona changes to red and the khaasta laughs even louder as his wounds begin to heal. "Puny mage, I'll deal with you in a minute." it says.

Seeing Solas so beleaguered, Aranis rushes to his aid. Bringing his greatsword down with a huge overhand swing, he tries to knock the creature out of commission. The sword is intercepted by the khaasta's shield claw an deflected to the side.

Alliston sidestepped the two khaasta bearing down on him, wincing at the pain in his side as he did so. He brought his morningstar across in a flat arc at the khaasta nearest him, but the lizard man easily brushed it aside.

Round 4:

22 20 Solas
17 Monsters
14 Jonathan
11 Jacelyn
3 Aranis
2 9 Alliston

Here is the current map. (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement16f.png)

Nox Lupus
2010-03-27, 08:09 AM
Wisdom tries to override courage, but Solas won't relent against this foe. Solas dives for the corner again to try to give Jonathan an edge.

@GM

Tumble- [roll0], DC 15
Fighting defensively- -4 attack, +2 AC
Flank- +2
Attack1-[roll1]
Dmg-[roll2]
Gloves-[roll3]

Firebeard
2010-03-27, 08:23 AM
The monk dove under the khaasta's slashing golden sword and came to his feet behind the red-brown lizardman. Lashing out with his fists, he did no damage, but provided a useful distraction for Aranis and Jonathan.

The khaasta spun with lightning speed, sword trailing after Solas, attempting to finish off the monk. The scimitar dives deep into Solas' side and leaves the monk hanging on to consciousness by sheer willpower alone. At the same time, the shield claw flashed back and around at Jonathan, who appeared to be the weaker target of the other two. The shield came up under Jonathan's defenses and rent a large gash along his upper chest and throat and sending the man reeling.

On the other side of the room, Alliston was hard pressed by both of his foes, who moved in closer to devil the young aasimar. Both sent the heads darting in behind their leading swords, jaws flashing and tearing at the young cleric. The cleric's armor turned most of the incoming blows, and he managed to fend one of the bite attacks off with his morningstar, taking no damage.

At Solas:
scimitar: [roll0]

At Jonathan:
shield claw: [roll2]

At Alliston:
scimitar1: [roll4]

bite1: [roll6]

scimitar1: [roll8]
damage: [roll9]

bite1: [roll10]
damage: [roll11]

Solas takes 9 damage. Jonathan takes 14 damage, but no crit (thank goodness)

Okay, it is the rest of the party's turn.

Godskook
2010-03-27, 08:41 AM
Jonathan responds to the blow in kind, grateful to Solas for providing him with what might prove a vital flank, as he could now see quite a few gaps in the creature's armor.

SNEAK ATTACK!

[roll0]
[roll1]+[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]+[roll5]

Firebeard
2010-03-27, 08:57 AM
While the khaasta's attention is focused on Solas, Jonathan seizes the opportunity to attack. With a flourish, he twirls both of his knives and drives them deep into the khaasta'a back, where the kidneys would be on a human. Apparently, khaasta anatomy is similar, because the lizardman arches his back in pain and shock, and a gray flush suffuses its features as the damage of both blows registers. The khaasta retains its grip on its weapon, but sways raggedly in place, arms drooping.

Fuzzies
2010-03-27, 01:41 PM
Jacelyn moves into the room to get an idea of what is happening with Alliston. Pulling a scroll from her pouch, Jacelyn reads the words aloud. With a final shout of "Ecclea!" a small ball of blue/white electricity forms in her hands and then rockets off towards the nearest of Alliston's opponents.

Lesser orb of Electricity

Fuzzies
2010-03-27, 01:43 PM
Oops, that should have been [roll0] for the attack.

Firebeard
2010-03-27, 04:15 PM
Jacelyn's target looked up just in time to see the ball of white-hot electrical power slam into its face. The impact peeled back some of the scales on the right side of its face and it howled in pain. "You'll pay for that, grievagh!"

Meanwhile, Aranis hacked at the dying khaasta with grim determination, desperate to end the threat to Solas. Heavy blows rained down upon the injured lizard. Distracted by Jonathan's wounds and Solas' determined feints and weaves, the creature presented just enough of an opening to Aranis and the Knight's sword sent it spinning to the ground.

Attack1: [roll0]

Attack1: [roll2]

Sliver
2010-03-27, 11:11 PM
Alliston readies an action.

When one of the creatures, the one west of him probably, is attacked, Alliston will 5ft step into a flanking position, or as close to one as possible, and attack along with the other.

[roll0] - +2 from flanking included
[roll1]

Nox Lupus
2010-03-28, 09:06 AM
Solas withdraws to the relative safety of the hallway, pulling out his wand of cure light as he goes. He manages to 'ping' himself once as he leans heavily against the wall.

@GM

Move to F8 E8
wand- [roll0]

Firebeard
2010-03-28, 08:04 PM
With little regard for their dead compatriots, the two remaining khaasta continued slashing away at Alliston. The cleric's armor easily turns the blows, and the khaasta manage to do little except scratch the metal.

removed because of dice roller not working

Firebeard
2010-03-28, 08:08 PM
NO idea what's up with the dice roller

At Alliston:
scimitar1:

bite1: [roll2]
damage: [roll]14+6

scimitar2:
damage: [roll4]

bite2: [roll5]
damage: [roll]14+6

Godskook
2010-03-28, 09:34 PM
Alliston, stay there! Jon calls out as he quickly maneuvers around the Khaasta, lunging one of his daggers at one of them, while making sure he doesn't expose his wounded body to more danger than is necessary in the process.

Sneak Attack!

Move to B3, the long way, to avoid the AoO. Get flanking.

[roll0]
[roll1]+[roll2]

Firebeard
2010-03-29, 07:59 AM
Jonathan ran behind the remaining khaasta, and using Alliston's aborted attack as cover, slashed his knife at the base of a khaasta's neck. The attack left a large bleeding slash on the khaasta's neck, but failed to drop the large creature.

Fuzzies
2010-03-29, 04:54 PM
Seeing that the others appear to have the khaastas penned in and should be able to take care of themselves, Jacelyn sets her quarterstaff in front of her and prepares to defend herself if necessary. No sense in allowing the khaastas to boost their energy by absorbing any of her spells unless it was critical.

Total Defense action: AC 21 until start of next turn

Firebeard
2010-03-29, 07:53 PM
Aranis charges the khaastas flailing against Alliston's armor and weapon. Their effectiveness with both blade and natural weapons makes it a hard decision whether or not to use his ancestral weapon to destroy the scimitars. At the last moment, Aranis makes the decision to simply go for the kill. Aiming at the one that Jonathan and Alliston have flanked, his greatsword came down in a mighty overhand swing.

Charging to C5 + power attack 2

add in crit damage for a total of 25!

The blade slashed deep into the muscles of the khaasta's left shoulder and continued down into its torso. The shield arm immediately went limp as the muscles and nerves controlling it were severed by the impossibly sharp blade. The khaasta cried out in agony as the nearly mortal wound bled profusely.

Round 6:

22 20 Solas
17 Monsters
14 9 Alliston
14 Jonathan
11 Jacelyn
3 Aranis

Here is the current map. (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement16g.png)

Nox Lupus
2010-03-30, 08:12 AM
Still hearing the sounds of battle, Solas moves out to see if he can assist :smallmad:. Assessing the situation Solas quickly moves around the room and manuevers in behind the Khaasta. There, he adopts a defensive posture.

@GM

Fighting Defensively- -4 Att, +2 AC
Movement-
F8 to D8- 10'
QR-
Spot-[roll0]
List-[roll1]
D8 to A5- 20'
A5 to A3- 10'
A3 to B2- 10' (End of Move action)

B2 to C3- 5' Adjust (End move action)

Firebeard
2010-03-30, 08:47 AM
The dying khaasta took note of the monk moving around, but his focus was solely on the Knight that had wounded him so badly. "I have not forgotten the face of my father!" he snarled as his scimitar whistled in to the attack. The bite that followed was weaker than the sword strike, but still unexpectedly fast considering the damage he had taken. The bite fastened itself on Aranis' damaged shoulder and the rending teeth did quite a bit of damage before the Knight's sword hilt bashed the creature aside.

The other khaasta slammed both sword and shield into Alliston, hoping to take the young cleric by surprise and land a single telling blow.

At Aranis:

Scimitar1: [roll0]

bite: [roll2]

At Alliston:

Scimitar1: [roll4]

shield: [roll6]

Aranis takes 7 damage. He is obviously badly injured. Everyone else' turn.

Here is the current map (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement16h.png)

Sliver
2010-03-30, 11:51 AM
Alliston uses touch of healing for healing 9 HP

Godskook
2010-03-30, 01:44 PM
Jonathan sends both his daggers at the wounded Khaasta, hoping to make this decisive.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Firebeard
2010-03-30, 07:23 PM
Jonathan's attacks are ill timed, and simply skate off the khaasta's armor and scales. He recovers quickly before the Khaasta can launch a counter attack at him.

Fuzzies
2010-03-31, 07:16 AM
Jacelyn sees the others valiantly beating down the remaining khaasta and wonders if there was anything she could do. Getting into melee with something like those vicious lizardmen would be foolhardy to say the least, and her spells could be absorbed again, making the monsters more powerful than before. I'll just wait here unless I am needed.

total defense, AC21

Firebeard
2010-03-31, 07:19 AM
The burst of healing energy sent Aranis' hopes soaring, as the worst of the aches left his body. Bringing his sword around in two lightning fast strokes, he attempted to finish off the one khaasta and put a hurting on the other.

Assuming Alliston's healing went to Aranis...

attack PA2: [roll0]

attack PA2: [roll2]

possible cleave...
attack PA2: [roll4]

Aranis' first strike removes the injured khaasta's head from its body and the swing continues into the next, cutting a deep wound into its exposed shoulder. The second blow is ill-placed against the new foe, who turns it aside with his scimitar.

Round 7:

22 20 Solas
17 Monsters
14 9 Alliston
14 Jonathan
11 Jacelyn
3 Aranis

Here is the current map. (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement16i.png)

Nox Lupus
2010-03-31, 07:39 AM
Still maintaing his defensive stance, Solas shifts over to attack the remaining Khaasta with Alliston :smallmad:.

@GM

5' adjust to D3
Flanking- +2 Att
Attack 1- [roll0]
Dmg- [roll1]
Gloves- [roll2]

Attack 2- [roll3]
Dmg- [roll4]
Gloves- [roll5]

Firebeard
2010-03-31, 07:47 AM
With the monk slipping behind him, and powerful blows rocketing in from behind, the Knight's sword and stalwart cleric tot he front, the khaasta panicked. Turning to flee it shoved its way past Jonathan and bolted for the far corner of the room, shouting "Master! Intruders! Intruders!"

Khaasta moves to A1, proving and AoO from everyone but Jacelyn. If he makes it to the corner alive...to be continued after everyone's attacks.

Sliver
2010-03-31, 07:48 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Dang that's low..

Nox Lupus
2010-03-31, 08:32 AM
Flanking- +2 Att (assuming he takes the shortest route to A1)
Attack 1- [roll0]
Dmg- [roll1]
Gloves- [roll2]

Completely unprepared for the Khaastas sudden flight, Solas' parting shot wiffs badly.

Firebeard
2010-03-31, 08:43 AM
AoO PA2: [roll0]

Aranis' ancestral weapon flashed forth as the Khaasta turns to run. It deals a hard blow to the fleeing khaasta, but not enough to fell it.

Nox Lupus
2010-03-31, 08:58 AM
"Jacelyn, quick!" Solas shouts

Godskook
2010-03-31, 09:40 AM
The only way he could provoke an AoO from me on the current map is in a flanked square, so SA.

[roll0]
[roll1] + [roll2]

Firebeard
2010-03-31, 11:38 AM
Aranis' blow, combined with the khaasta's headlong flight, left an opening in its defenses large enough to drive a horse cart through. It was a simple matter for Jonathan to drive his dagger deep under the ribs and into a lung. With a gasping groan, the lizardman fell to the ground and slid to a top near the northwest corner of the room.

The room was still and quiet, except for the companions' rough breathing.

Sliver
2010-03-31, 11:41 AM
Alliston heals his bloodied allies 9hp per use of touch of healing until they are out of the critical state and adds a charge of lesser vigor.

(Does Jon need a charge as well?)

Fuzzies
2010-03-31, 11:58 AM
Jacelyn sighs in relief as the last Khaasta breaks and then falls. "That was a terrific job guys. I was worried for you there. Especially you Solas. I've never heard that monks of Lathander were especially intelligent, but that stunt back there..." she shook her head ruefully, but offered a smile to take the sting out of her words "Well, no one can doubt your courage at least"

"No need to worry about me Alliston, not a scratch!"

While Alliston is healing up the others' wounds, Jacelyn begins checking the khaasta bodies for anything of worth.

Sliver
2010-03-31, 12:00 PM
Alliston sighs "At least I was less useless this time around" he smiles and lets out a charge of vigor on himself as well. (that's the third one, right? Make it forth, using up two charges on self)

Firebeard
2010-03-31, 12:02 PM
That's the 3rd, yes. Unless you want to drop another on Aranis, Solas, or Jonathan. Just be sure to mark it off your sheet also.

Nox Lupus
2010-03-31, 12:10 PM
Rubbing the back of his neck, "Well, I had hoped to distract the beasts, anger them in to attacking me alone. I hadn't thought them to have minds for strategy. Though, It does seem to have worked out for us in the end, :smallsmile:" Solas moves to recover his dropped Scimitar, and its scabbard.

He then goes about the task of healing himself.

Wand-[roll0]
Wand-[roll1]
Wand-[roll2]
Wand-[roll3]
Wand-[roll4]
Wand-[roll5]

:smallbiggrin:"Much better..."

Sliver
2010-03-31, 12:13 PM
*points at OOC thread*

Aranis 32/42
Solas 30/39
Jacelyn 26/26
Alliston 58/58
Jonathan 22/28

This should be the HP status after Alliston's healing. No need to spend so much charges on Solas..