PDA

View Full Version : So, you want to be a Pathfinder - IC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Firebeard
2011-08-15, 02:22 PM
Link to the OOC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11645704)

Quentin Stiles held up his beefy hands for quiet, in the packed training room. “All right, listen up now! You’ve all decided you’re interested in becoming full fledged Pathfinders, and you’ve all been sponsored by one of our field agents. You’ve been through the training, done some basic tasks, and now you’re here, ready for your first assignment. Well, don’t piss your britches ladies, because it ain’t gonna be dragon slaying or uncovering ancient ruins in the Wastes. This is what we call an egg run, the easy mission all starting Pathfinders get when they put on the badge or take up a wayfinder, no matter what their previous experience. Pay attention to your surrounding and remember your training and you’ll likely not embarrass us TOO much. Don’t forget that every expedition is REQUIRED to give an account when they return, including the tithe and journal. Egg runs don’t make it into the Chronicles often, but there have been a few over the last two hundred years or so that were memorable. Now, when I call out your names, group up and meet me over here.."

"Roshan, Arwen, Arthur, and Lisane. Get your asses over here. The rest of you go find something to do for a few minutes. I'll be with you in a bit." As you make your way over to Stiles, you can hear the grumbling of your fellow trainees. It seems that everyone thought they were going to make the first cut. "Now listen up, I suppose you've noticed I didn't grab the strongest, or even the most skilled for this group. That's okay. You lot have a good mix of skills and I imagine you'll do just fine. I'm sure you've read the chronicles and you're wondering where your meat shield is, and the healer to go with him. There she is," he said, pointing at Lisane. "Or as near enough as you're gonna get. Her, with some of those summoned monsters that Roshan can bring forth will have to do for now."

"Lisane! I've seen you in the training field and you need work on switching between that bow of yours and your sword. Go see Carson about working on that tonight. He's the best there is at weapon swaps, and don't let him flirt with ya too much. He's supposed to be training, since he doesn't want to do field work for a while."

"Rashon, you do good spellwork, but you're slow and sloppy. You need to be able to rattle off those spells at a moment's notice, not hang around lollygagging for an hour while you try and decide what spell to cast. Work on it!"

"As for you, Arwen, I don't care if you are elven and great-grandson of some extraordinary archer-mage. If you keep rushing your shots like I saw yesterday, you're gonna get your buddies killed. And they won't appreciate that one bit. Take your time, line up your shots and DO NOT add anyone to my personal **** list of Pathfinders what got killed by their mates. Got it?"

"The only one what's really got nothing to work on is the Oracle. Divine casters are all a sneaky lot, anyways, you ask me. But I bet Gilforth can help you out some too. Maybe make it so you don't have to worry about keeping that spell pouch stocked, since I see it looks a little empty at the moment. What? you forget to refill it, or something?"

"Anyways, that's the lot of it. Oh, and here, divvy this among yourselves and get something that'll keep you alive until I see you again." He hands Arthur a pouch that clinked heavily, along with a small book. "That's an advance on your mission, but it will be paid back in full, along with your mission tithe, understand? And keep that journal up to date. We Pathfinders aren't mercenaries. At least, not [i]just[/] mercenaries. We strive to further knowledge in all forms, so keep that book up to date with anything you find or experience."

"Now, as for your mission. There's a tower not too far from here, about 4 hours at a fast walk. Crumbling, shabby ruin, empty as can be. I did my egg run there about 15 years ago, so I know it had nothing in it then. But it seems that the locals have been saying they see a witchlight from the upper tower, and that strange noises have been heard. Go check it out. Probably just goblins again, but it's best to be sure. You can leave in the morning after you've learned what you need to know and spent that gold. Now get lost, so I can deal with the rest of this lot."

Quentin turned and began bellowing orders and instructions to the next group. Arthur pours out the bag to find 100 gold pieces, which quickly gets divvied up amongst you. You each agree to meet an hour after dawn on the morrow to begin your first mission. Grins on your faces, you each go your own way for the evening, Pathfinders at last.

the next morning...

stack
2011-08-15, 02:53 PM
Arthur, human oracle,

Arthur was barely able to sleep, turning all night, mind roiling. My first mission! I can't wait to tell Uncle Barth! Sure there won't be much there, but it's official and everything. Beats lugging books up from dark, dusty cellars.

I barely know the others. I hope everything works out between us. I don't really no too many people from outside Korvosa. They seem okay though. Wish I could use a bow like Arwen and Lisane though. Stupid clumsiness.

If the tower is empty, how will we repay the 100 gold? That's a lot of gold, almost as much as Uncle Barth gave me to get started. They must expect us to find something. Maybe they plant some there, as a test?

He awoke early, strapping on his dark brown armor, newly-made morningstar hanging awkwardly on his hip and going to find some breakfast before slinging-on his backpack and going to meet the others, leaving plenty of time to arrive early. Maybe I'll skip shaving, I'll look more like an experienced adventurer.

Waiting for the others, he practices his magic by opening his journal and writing 'Day 1 -to the Ancient Tower' from several feet away, controlling the pen with an orision. His concentration leaves him mostly oblivious to his surroundings.

Airanath
2011-08-15, 03:16 PM
Arwen considers objecting about the spell components, then he notices he yet again lost his pouch, there goes another part of his earnings on a new one.
He heads for the guild store, and checks if they have a supplied pouch, also he tries and convinces a more experienced wizard to sell him a scroll of that spell((Gravity Bow)) he was casting on the bows during the morning practice making them twice as powerfull. Properly supplied he goes to his room stash his gear and copy the spell onto his spellbook.
Spellcraft check to copy the spell: [roll0]
Once he finishes he resumes his daily bow and blade training, and falls at bed like a rock at night. His dreams are of glory and success and finally proving he is not a utter fool.
He wakes up, the sunlight warm on his face, oblivious that he woke up about 20minutes before the meeting time, he picks up his spellbook and starts his mental rehearsal of the arcane words and gestures for the spells he thinks might be usefull on his first mission. His mental exercices done, he dons his studded leather armor, a bit battered from being a second hand, the black dye faded to a dull grey by now except on some spots.
He packs up the rest of his equipment, fills the waterskin and checks his arrows fletchings, before finally judging its time to go meet his companions.
Upon arrival he cheerfully greets those that are there already, still oblivious he is now one hour late.
"Morning lady and sirs. Seems I wasn't the only one to wake up early and excited today! Would have gotten here a few minutes earlier, but I met the archery drill master and he made a point of talking to me for a few. Shall we go for the lunch hall grab breakfast and then depart?"

Fuzzies
2011-08-15, 03:43 PM
Lisane awoke the next morning with a sore shoulder where she had hit herself with her sword hilt multiple times the evening before. Carson was a lecher, but he was good at his job, once she convinced him to keep his hands to himself by raking his shins with her boot heel. He had had her go through the motions of dropping her bow and pulling her grandfather's curveblade over and over until she never faltered. Then, he had her do it kneeling, running, laying prone, and rolling. The man wouldn't let up. But she learned it.

Now though, it was time to get moving. They had a long day ahead of them, and she couldn't wait to get started. Though she did wish she had a hipppogryph mount, like some of the other Sisters. That would make today's travel a...well, a breeze. She brushed the tangles out of her strawberry blonde hair, then pulled it back in a knot at the base of her neck. She pulled on her leathers - dark grays and browns, perfect for blending in with the forest, day or night - and grabbed her weapons and pack before heading out to meet the others.

She found Arthur already ready to go near the lodge entrance, and gave him good morrow. Then, she proceeded to chat with him amiably while waiting on the others. Her impatience with Arwen grew and the morning ambled on. Finally, she spotted the magus as he trotted up to them with his greetings. "It's about time. I thought we were going to be ready to go an hour after dawn. Now the morning's half gone." She looked a the elf in exasperation. He had the kind of dotty mentality and physical presence that she associated with elderly librarians. She knew he was capable - he wouldn't have been chosen if he wasn't, but still...

Airanath
2011-08-15, 03:58 PM
He looks at the half elf, giving her a look indicating he totally missed her point, "Exactly, and here I am, come on, I am just a few minutes late from chatting with the instructor, not really half the morning, they are even serving breakfast still."
He then notices her sword and gives an approving nod to it, "Now that is a nice blade if I ever saw one, we had few of those even among the folk, its a pretty tricky little baby you have there. Does she have a name? She does have the look of someone important. I wished to get one myself before coming here, but the smith might as well have asked for one of my hands at the time... And what a good job it would be to wield one of those single handed hehe."

VonDoom
2011-08-15, 04:02 PM
"Slow and sloppy?", grumbled Roshan as he went about his way. He looked flustered, despite the relief he had felt when his name had been called. And the hours of practice he had put into being faster at with his spells, after the brief 'ceremony'. "Can you believe he said that? That simpleton didn't even call out your name, even though we registered you as my partner."

The Cheliaxian shook his head, his long black hair flowing with the rush of his own movement as he made his way towards the meeting place they had agreed on. He suddenly stopped when he felt a familiar hand resting on his shoulder, though, turning halfway around, only to find himsef face to face with the cloak-wearing shape of the female-like Eidolon that had followed him.

His expression softened, as he put his hand briefly on hers to comfort the fiend-like being. "Don't worry, it'll be fine. I'm not really upset. Just ... well, I was expecting more adventurous spirit, less military camp. But we'll see, training is over now, right?" He chuckled briefly, more to reassure himself than anything, before he turned around once again and stepped onwards.

Just a couple of minutes later, he would arrive at the lodge. "Ah, there you are," he noted as a rather informal way of greeting. "Where's Arwen?"

----

An hour later

---

"Well, finally. We were just about to go without you," the Summoner noted, followed by his Eidolon, Astera, briefly growling at the Magus in annoyance. She, too, looked like she wanted to move things along.

Unlike Roshan, Astera had been fairly quiet during the wait, as usual prefering to communicate as little as possible and preferrably directly with Roshan himself rather than anyone else. The Cheliaxian himself had made smalltalk, aired out a bit of his annoyance with their trainer, Stiles, and tried to coax more about her life story out of Lisane. He always seemed more interested in her than their other compatriot, Arthur, though he'd never actually gone as far as to hit on her -- though it certainly wasn't due to any sort of timidness on his part, as many encounters with various maidens around the city would attest.

stack
2011-08-15, 04:03 PM
Lisane's greeting broke Arthur's concentration, sending the journal and pen to the gound, where they quickly bounced and scattered as if thrown by an invisible force, landing 20 feet from each other.
"Oh, morning to you. Let me just pick those up." Why do things always fall so far away?

To Arwen, "Morning, at least it is for a little longer. I have already eaten, though I can't speak for the others. If needs be, you can always have some of my trail rations as we walk. We have a bit of ground to cover and I would like to be well into the tower before dark. Defensible positions and all that."

Just what we needed, a late start. Who could be late on a day like today?

I must learn more of Roshan's companion. Fascinating.

Fuzzies
2011-08-15, 06:31 PM
Lisane let Roshan draw her out about herself as they waited. She certainly didn't mind, and he was easy to talk to. She talked about her experience as a Sister in training, about the hippogryphs they raised, and how she hoped to bond with one as she progressed n her skills. In turn, she asked the others about themselves as well. She was particularly interested in Astera, and Joe she came to travel beside Roshan.

Her irritation at Arwen was slightly mollified at his interest in her grandfather's sword. "It is called Alrathien, and it was my Grandfather's. It has been in the family for over 400 years, and has served in the Home Guard off and on the entire time. My mother gave it to me the day I left for Korvosa."

"now, I guess we have time for Arwen to grab a bite, as long as he's not as slow about it...as long as he's quick about it"

stack
2011-08-15, 07:42 PM
Arthur considers asking about Astera, but fears giving offense by blunt questioning. I've heard of beings called from other realms...could she be? Or just a different type of person, maybe a tiefling? I'll ask Roshan later, I'd rather not get clawed for saying something stupid.

Overhearing the sword discussion, Arthur is intrigued. "Alrathien? I've never actually seen an elven curve blade, not in anything but pictures, but I've read about them often. An old friend of my uncle's used to carry one too, if I recall. Wonderful!"

"Oh food, right. I suppose it is best to start on a full stomach"
If it's not full of butterflies.

Airanath
2011-08-15, 09:51 PM
Arwen nods, "A good name for a good blade, may she serve you as she served your ancestors."
He offers a quick prayer to the past wielders of the blade as they walk to the lunch hall, and grabs some fruits for everyone((Summon included)), passing it around upon his return.
"I hope you don't mind eating on the road, I always liked having a light breakfast that I can chew on my way. Mom and Dad would always complain about it for a reason or another."
After a few bites and steps, Arwen will give a quick glance around, and upon being sure only his companions are there he speaks again, "Forgive me for being blunt but mind speaking your names again, I have some problem commiting those to memory. And I am pretty sure I havent been introduced to the spirit-lady yet", he once again attempts to offer the summon one of the fruits.

Firebeard
2011-08-16, 08:11 AM
Following the directions that Stiles gave you, you began your journey to the ruined tower. The morning's sun was muted by a heavy back of clouds that threatened rain, though so far the journey was dry and easy enough. Each of you spent the traveling time in your preferred fashion, either in quiet contemplation or in discussions with the others. In all, not a bad morning for traveling, though the weather was worrisome.

About 2 hours outside of Korvosa, you find a turnoff to the right, with a small sign reading Isstavia in faded letters. That was the name of the village that Stiles was telling you about, the one near the ruined tower. This road is not nearly as well maintained as the main roads, more of a wagon track than anything. The trees pressed in close at times, nearly brushing the travelers.

Lisane was out front, scanning the area while talking to Arthur close behind her when it happened. A pair of arrows flew towards them, one skittering off the ground at their feet, another glancing off a branch right beside Lisane's head. There was no warning, no battle cry, and no immediately visible targets. It was an ambush!

Surprise round is over. Rolling initiatives...

Roshan [roll0]
Arwen [roll1]
Arthur [roll2]
Lisane[roll3]

Round 1 initiatives...

Arwen 24
Roshan 20
Monsters 17
Lisane 6
Arthur 3

Here is the map (bradgrinstead.com/Pathfinders/forestEncounter1.png)

Airanath
2011-08-16, 09:31 AM
Arwen stumbles when the group suddenly halts, he didn't hear the arrows noise nor notice them on the ground once stoped, he was pretty much humming a catchy tune in his mind and not paying attention either.
"Woah, what is it with the sudden halt? We there already? Guess the tower is hidden in the outgrouth by now eh."
He gives a quick glance around, and finally notices the arrow on the ground, and before the next heartbeat he has his bow out with an arrow nocked, searching for the hostiles, and ready to shot.
Ready action: Fire the arrow on the first enemy spotted or pointed out by an ally.
If Arwen actually manages to spot them himself, he shots and warns the others about their location.
Attack roll(if/when necessary) with Longbow: 6
Damage Roll(if/when necessary): 6
Both are in the OOC post due to a mispost, confused the threads when submiting as I was replying to both. After modifier rolls already(yeah, almost broke my bow aleready)

VonDoom
2011-08-16, 02:23 PM
"Her name is Astera," Roshan explained to Arwen, his tone quite grumpy, as they departed. The Cheliaxian made an annoyed face when he realized what the elf was trying to do. "Astera," he repeated. "Don't make up strange names. And I'd be careful with that hand if I were you."

He nonchalantly pointed a glove-clad finger towards the 'summon', who was growling at Arwen when he came too close, her eyes glinting in a dangerous yellow. Roshan wasn't even smirking or having a joke at the Magus' expense, his tone was entirely serious.

"Don't ... like you," the Eidolon growled as she drew back a little, her words surprisingly clear and easily understood, though with the same slightly Cheliaxian accent Roshan sported.

"During our travels, most strangers who got close to her eventually ended up chasing us out of their little towns with torches and pitchforks," the Summoner explained. "That tends to make you slightly vary of new people, elf. My name, incidentally, was and is Roshan Sarini. Of the Cheliax Sarinis. Sort of. Black sheep of the family, didn't like torturing people." A dry chuckled followed, though there was no humor in his eyes.

----------

The Summoner and his unnatural companion had stuck to the back. Roshan had practically insisted on it, claiming that Astera's keen senses would notice if their trainers were planning to spruce their test up a bit by attacking from behind, or any such funny businesses. The alternative he had had in mind was that they both go first, but since Lisane was obviously the one best suited to guide and lead them on the way, he didn't even propose his other idea.

"Careful," he called out when the group stopped and he, too, noticed the bolt -- likely a little after their front-woman. But he was fast, drawing the crossbow he had slung over his shoulder with only little difficulty. He aimed right towards their front, closing his right eye as he held the weapon high to better his aim, trying to get a lock on whoever was attacking them.

Perhaps his call had gone out to the entire group, perhaps to Astera only, but his Eidolon was already making her way forward at a fast pace, eyes blazing brightly. She clearly intended to close the distance between herself and any attackers, wherever they might be -- and to slash them to ribbons with her sharp claws!

Roshan - Move Action: Draw Weapon. Ready Standard Action: Fire bolt on first enemy spotted or pointed out, warn others if he makes a successful Spot check himself.
Attack roll when/if necessary: [roll0]
Damage roll when/if necessary: [roll1]
His perception is +0, to make things easier.

Astera - Move Action: Current position to X-AAMP Y-54842. If no enemy is spotted by then, move onwards to X-AAMP Y-54848. If enemy is spotted, move directly towards closest enemy.
Her perception is +4, to make things easier.

Firebeard
2011-08-16, 03:44 PM
As everyone braced for combat, Astera rushed forward, ready to shred whomever had endangered her friend and master. From the trail ahead, a pair of forms leaned out from behind trees on opposite sides of the track and fired again. This time, unnerved perhaps by the fiendish form of Astera, their shots went far wide, rattling off tree limbs.

The creatures are tall and muscular, standing of a height nearly 6 feet tall. their gray skin and sunken eyes made them look fierce, the curving tusks protruding from their lower jaws only added to the effect.

Round 1 initiatives...

Arwen 24
Roshan 20
Monsters 17
Lisane 6
Arthur 3

Here is the updated map. (http://bradgrinstead.com/Pathfinders/forestEncounter1a.png)

Everyone goes now!!

stack
2011-08-16, 03:54 PM
Why didn't I break these boots in better. Never travel with new boots! Maybe I should just sling my shield, it's heavier than I thought after this distance. What, what was that? Ambush!

Spells to short range, have to get closer. Reacting somewhat slower than his compatriots, Arthur shows courage that he was not entirely certain he had, charging forward, shield in hand, ahead of the formation. "Try and hit me!" Why did I say that?

double-move to 54850/AAMO
AC 19, HP 10

Fuzzies
2011-08-16, 04:01 PM
Lisane chatted with Arthur as she walked slightly ahead fo the rest of the group. She wasn't worried about noise - they weren't exactly trying to be stealthy, after all - and it was nice to hear about his experiences as well. It was good, actually, to be able to talk to someone who didn't know all about her.

The fiend - eidolon, whatever she was - that followed Roshan was scary, but interesting as well. It would be interesting to hear her story, but it seemed that after that little altercation with Arwen earlier, it might be best to wait for a better time. She was just about to ask Arthur his thoughts on the matter when the attack came.

The arrow skittering across the trail was the first clue, augmented by Astera's growl as the creature charged ahead. Her bow was already in her hand and arrow nocked as Lisane sprinted for the cover of the woods. from there she selected a target and loosed, not waiting to see the results of her strike before preparing to spring into action once more. She called, "Astera, you take the right one, I'll get the left."

Move to AAMT/54847 and fire at the creature at AAMh/54856
longbow [roll0]
damage [roll1]

stack
2011-08-16, 05:33 PM
"They look like hobgoblins." Now, what do you do with hobgoblins...hmm, don't recall any special weaknesses. I guess they are vulnerable to being killed.

Airanath
2011-08-16, 05:44 PM
Uhm... about one bowshot in distance, maybe a bit further., Arwen mentaly calculates the distance to his foes, and positions himself accordingly(Moving to AAMR, 54842).
Certainly those are not masters giving us a field exam, guess I can safely pull the stops, he thinks, as he draws into his inner reserves to magicaly empower his arrows(Spending one point from the arcane pool, giving my bow a +1 enhacement bonus to hit and damage for the next 10 rounds(1minute)), and proceeds to aim at the one enemy that is within his bows best range(AAMN, 54856).

Attack with longbow: [roll0]
Damage with longbow: [roll]1d8+1[/roll/ 8(total, as per OOC roll due to bad coding here)

VonDoom
2011-08-17, 05:40 AM
"Hobgoblins?" Roshan repeated, somewhat baffled. "So close to the city? Either they're very brave, or very stupid." He pulled his crossbow back when he couldn't get a clear shot. "I'm betting on the latter," he noted with a smirk, before the Cheliaxian quickly dashed towards the left side of the path, right into the foliage in an effort to evade their firing range.

He quickly turned direction right towards the position of the left hobgoblin, though, trying to get close enough to at least get one good shot in.

The Eidolon, for her part, kept rushing towards her quarry, baring her teeth at the goblinoid creature as she moved in very close, claws bared as she was just about to leap right onto her opponent.

Astera: Move Action: Move to AAMO-54855.
Roshan: Move Action: Move upwards to AAMP-54838. Standard Action: Move upwards-right diagonally. Not specifying how far exactly since I'm not sure if the tree-filled areas count as difficult terrain. He moves to maximum capacity for a full-move action.

Pasted from OOC thread:
In the event of the Hobgoblin provoking an AoO from Astera:
Bite attack: (1d20+5)[21]
Bite damage: (1d6+4)[10]

Firebeard
2011-08-17, 07:33 AM
Lisane and Arwen found their targets, and both hobgoblins jerked back with the impact of a 30" arrow slamming solidly into them. As the rest of the party scattered and moved into a dispersed attack formation, Astera leaped forward. As she arrived, the hobgoblin archer panicked and dropped his bow, reaching for his sword. He never made it. The fiendishly beautiful, but feral face opened wide and inch long fangs ripped into the hobgoblin's throat. The creature reeled back for a moment, arms pinwheeling, then sat down on the ground hard. Its eyes glazed over as the life left its body in great pulsing jets of red fluid.

The other hobgoblin screamed in pain and fury as it watched its brother bitten and dropped its longbow. Pulling a longsword, it ran at Astera. The flashing blade caught the eidolon in the side as she leaned forward to watch the dying hobgoblin. The blade ripped through her thin cloak and a cry of pain and anguish left the fiendish creature as the blade came away stained with blood.

Ouch! Astera takes 9 damage

One foe dead.

round 2 initiatives...

Arwen 24
Roshan 20
Monsters 17
Lisane 6
Arthur 3

Here is the updated map. (http://bradgrinstead.com/Pathfinders/forestEncounter1b.png)

Everyone goes now!!

stack
2011-08-17, 08:16 AM
Arthur winces as Astera takes the blow. Can't let that happen again. He calls out to the hobgoblin, "You won't be needing that anymore." as he points to the sword. I hope this works.

He rushes forward before seeing the result, trying to assist his otherworldy co-combatant.

Burning disarm (range 25 ft) reflex save DC 15 or take [roll0] fire damage, pass save = drop weapon, then move to 54854 AAMM to set-up a flank
AC 19, HP 10

Fuzzies
2011-08-17, 09:38 AM
Lisane saw her arrow strike true and elation filled her. It dropped when she saw her target rush Astera and slice the eidolon open. She didn't know what the ramifications were of a summoned creature dying here in the material plane, but the gasp of pain that astera let out was confirmation enough that the fiendkin was in trouble.

Lisane dropped her bow with her left hand and drew Alrathien with her right. in a moment, she was flying along the edge of the woods, skipping over low bushes and avoiding creepers as she barreled in towards the hobgoblin. In a fluid motion, she brought her blade down in a sweeping arc, intending to cut the creature from shoulder to sternum.

Drop bow, draw sword (both free actions). Charge to AAMO/54855. AC is 13 from the charge

power attack [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

Edit: blasted dice roller :smallyuk:

Airanath
2011-08-17, 09:57 AM
The painful cry rebounded in Arwen's mind, making his blood race, I should have aimed for the head, it would have kept her from harm way he thinks as he nocks another arrow and adjusts his positioning(AAMR, 54847). This time he aims a bit higher, trying to hit right between the goblin's eyes to make sure it dies.

Longbow Attack: [roll0]
Longbow Damage: [roll1]

VonDoom
2011-08-17, 02:46 PM
As her vision began to dim from both pain and sudden shock, blood flowing in spurts out of the large gash the hobgoblin's sword had ripped open on her back, Astera howled out not just in pain, but also rage. She staggered for a moment, turning around to face her attacker as a spell of weakness almost overcame her -- she barely noticed that she was smearing the goblinoid's blood all over her own face as the Eidolon's be-clawed hand briefly brushed the side of her head.

Still, when her eyes locked onto her attacker, she bared her teeth once again in a snarl. She didn't care what the others were doing, didn't pay any attention to how they went to her aid, to how they attacked the monster on their own to support her. For all she knew, the stupid thing could be dead already. Yet still she leapt forward; a feral onslaught of fiendish claws and teeth, ripping, tearing, gashing at the one who had hurt her so badly, with all her strength!

Astera: Full attack, employing Power Attack -1/+2.
Bite: [roll0]; damage [roll1]
Claws:
[roll2]; damage [roll3]
[roll4]; damage [roll5]

Meanwhile, a little further away, just behind the two trees on the other side of the road, Roshan couldn't help but let out a cry of alarm as he saw what happened to the fiendish Eidolon. He had intended to shoot at the hobgoblin from where he was, but had never expected for Astera to suffer a wound so dire. He knew that mundane wounds could never permanently kill her on this plane of existence, simply banish her to whatever place it was he had originally summoned her from, but she had been with him like this, without being dismissed, for many years and the Cheliaxian hardly thought of her simply as a tool for combat.

Hence, his reaction was perhaps a bit alarming, as he let his crossbow fall carelessly right out of his hands, and quickly rushed towards the wounded Eidolon. Hastily, he blurted out the first words of a spell as the shimmer of arcane energy began to enfold his hands.

Roshan: Full Move, to AAMO/54853. Spell isn't actually being cast, just setting up for casting it next round unless interrupted.

Firebeard
2011-08-17, 03:07 PM
The hobgoblin snarled in pain as his longsword briefly flared with heat, but managed to maintain his grasp on the weapon long enough to turn aside Lisane's heavy blow. He ducked an arrow fired from Arwen's bow, but distraction cost him dearly , as Astera turned with red murder in her eyes. The fiendkin lunged at the warrior and ripped his throat open with her fangs - fangs that were still dripping blood from her previous kill. The hobgoblin dropped his sword as he fell to the ground. In moments, the road was silent once more, except for the ragged breathing of the combatants and soft mewling sounds of pain coming from Astera.

stack
2011-08-17, 03:35 PM
Arthur looks over his companions to see if anyone is hurt. After Roshan casts his spell, Arthur asks him regarding Astera, "Can I help with any additional healing? I have some minor ability in that department. It should work on your...companion." He looks over the eidolon warily, wearing more than a little of the hobgoblins blood himself after her savage attack. I'm going to need a bath.

At Roshan's request, he will cast CLW [roll0]

His brow furrows, "I suppose we ought to take their weapons and armor. It would be wasteful to leave them here. Maybe even dangerous." His stomach roils briefly at the thought of extracting the armor from the gore at his feet.

"Anyone know any cleaning spells? I can repair the damage this stuff took, but I'd rather not leave a trail of hobgoblin blood as we walk."

Fuzzies
2011-08-17, 04:19 PM
LIsane cursed inwardly as her stroke missed, then smiled at Astera's response. Something about the bloody viciousness of it all both pleased and frightend the half-elf maid. Still, they hadn't asked to be attacked, and the hobgoblin certainly got what he deserved. She started to move towards Astera to help staunch the wound in her side, but rememebred Roshan's warning about approaching the fiendkin. "Astera, I can see that you are hurt. Can I help you staunch the blood? I think Arthur can heal you, but we have to hold the wound closed before you loose too much more blood." She continued to calmly talk to Astera while Arthur prepared to heal her, hoping the vicious fangs didn't tear into them next. But surely Astera would know frined from foe in this case...

Once the fiendkin had been taken care of, Lisane set about stripping anything of value or use from the hobgoblins. She knew that they would be expected to turn a profit from this venture - after all, the Pathfinders were mercs of a sort, weren't they? - and there was rom in her pack for asome rolled up suits of armor. "I know a few tricks for getting blood out of clothing, even without magic. It's kind of a necessity when training for the Home Guard. First thing is to blot off the blood with dirt or sand. It may look hideous to start with, but it wicks the blood from the cloth or leather and helps stop the charnel-house smell."

Airanath
2011-08-17, 04:34 PM
"I am so sorry Roshen...", Arwen looks to the summoner and his eidolon worried about the wound, "If only I had managed to take him down on this first shot that wouldn't have happened.", his face turns sad, almost as if about to cry as he says that.
He turns away, a bit huriedly, and collects the arrows he fired and checks if the goblinoids have any worth scavenging once he is done.
"I do have such a spell in my grimoire, but I didn't commit it to memmory today, didn't really think we would need it for a check up on a theoretically safe ruin..." he then proceeds to take their armors.
"I could carry some of the less bloodied stuff in my backpack... I wouldn't want my grimoire to be destroyed by bloodstains."
He then turns to Arthur, "Shouldn't you offer them some kind of prayer to easy their passing? They may have been highwayman, but Mom always said the dead should be blessed on their passing, least they come back to haunt us..." his voice is more than a bit worried.

VonDoom
2011-08-17, 04:52 PM
When Roshan finally reached her, Astera slumped down to the ground as her legs gave way to exhaustion. "I can heal her," the Summoner admitted to both Lisane and Arthur as his hands formed another mystic seal to complete the spell he had been casting. The glow that had previously surrounded them quickly spread over the Eidolon's entire body once the Chelaxian gently touched her forehead. "You did great," he praised her quietly, sounding both proud of how quickly she had dispatched the two hobgoblins -- even if they had been hit by their compatriot's arrows -- but also worried about her. "Please, be more careful. It's not just you and me on the road anymore."

A smile spread on his face as he felt the magic taking hold, mending Astera's wounds with surprising speed and efficiency. "It's working," Roshan exclaimed, chuckling to himself. "The spell turned out really well this time."

Astera shuddered briefly as wounds filled themselves with flesh, bone and muscle anew, and her skin finally closed back up, with naught trace of the vicious cut that had almost sent her right off of the Material Plane but the blood that had been spilled. "Didn't want anyone hurt," Astera grumbled, as her expression turned slightly less strained.

"I know," Roshan noted, gently stroking her cheek for a moment before looking up at the others. "My spell only works on her, I fear. Better to save your healing for if and when I can't provide it. And, well, as much as the thought of seeing Astera hurt pains me, any of you I can't call back to this plane a day hence if you're cut down."

The fiend nodded a brief validation, the more reserved expression she was usually sporting returning to her face. "Heroes now?", she asked.

"Guess we're getting there," Roshan confirmed with a light grin. "That was pretty scary. I hope you're not planning on doing that every time we run into an ambush. There could have been more of them!" The arcanist sighed, briefly glancing towards the spot where he had dropped his weapon. "Say, would anyone be so kind as to get my crossbow? It's right behind that tree over there."

He dropped himself unceremoniously from the crouching position he had been in when he had cast the rejuvenation spell onto his behind, the blood-stained grass beneath cushioning his short fall. "We should take a brief break, I think, catch our breaths. Those ... goblinoid things almost had our number. Filthy creatures." Annoyed, he poked the toe-cab of his boot against the less torn-up Hobgoblin corpse.

Roshan casts Rejuvenate Eidolon, Lesser, for 1d10+1 HP, with an awesome result of 11 (see roll in OOC thread). Astera is back at full HP.

Firebeard
2011-08-17, 08:52 PM
Looks like Fuzzies is going to be the loot whore of the group again :smallwink:

To everyone's relief, Roshan easily heals up Astera's wounds. The relief in everyone's eyes is palpable as the fiendkin straitens once again, the only sign of her injury a small tear in her cloak and the blood staining it.

Lisane expertly strips the hobgoblins of their armor and weapons, then searches more carefully for other items hidden on their bodies. Retrieving a small pile of loot, she then goes back down to trail to recover her bow and Roshan's crossbow.

While you are looking at the pile, the clouds that had been threatening rain all morning finally make good on their promise. The drops come down scattered at first, but large, as if the gods were making each one out of an entire bucket of water. Soon the rain is falling steadily - not the torrential rains of the early spring and fall, but the kind of rain that turns roads to mush and soaks anything within minutes.

Here's what you found:

2 longswords
2 sets of studded leather armor
2 longbows, 1 with a broken string
1 throwing axe
Backpack
Map or scroll case
4 gems (2x blue quartz, zircon, freshwater pearl)
45g in mixed coins

stack
2011-08-17, 09:56 PM
"Oh, right. A blessing." A blessing for bandits, uhm...I don't know any. The stories mostly skip that part. Not really part of Abadar's catechisms either. Hmm, here goes nothing.

"We commend the souls of the dead to the Lady of Graves, trusting in her just judgment. May they find the rest they deserve." He bends down to close their eyes.

Surveying the pile of "acquisitions," he says, "I can carry a bit, but more than a few pounds would slow me down. I'll carry the broken bow. Not that it's any use to me, but I can fix it. See." He holds his hand over the broken string, his lips moving as he concentrates.

Mending on the bow string. Any more would make a medium load and slow him down.

Airanath
2011-08-17, 10:44 PM
Right as the first drops start falling Arwen unstrings his bow, and places the string away in his bag to avoid them getting wet and rotting.His trainers used to get really mad when he forgot that.
"Lovely weather... sun one moment and then this sudden rain... And my cloak had to be at the tailor being sewed, stupid holes on the fabric." Arwen complains, taking the worst of the rain and shivering from cold once wet.

Fuzzies
2011-08-18, 06:31 AM
Lisane feels the first drops of rain and immediately reaches to unstring her bow. The elven cords are coated to be somewhat rain resistant, but why take chances? From the corner of her eye, she sees Arwen doing the same. Quickly she stuffs the rolled up armor, now caked with dirt fromt he road, into her backpack, and straps one of the longswords to her baldric,underneath where her curve blade rests. It took a few tries to get it in a comfortable position, but finally she managed. The throwing axe shee hooked to a loop on her belt. It might just come in handy if she had to leave her bow behind in a pinch. THe coins and gems she pushed out towards Rohan and Arthur to divvy up between them.

"Okay, are we ready to be off? This rain is going to slow us down a bit, I think. And make it more difficult for us to spot any more ambushes along the road." She shook her bangs back, trying to get the sodden mess out of her eyes and face.

"If Stiles' directions were accurate, we should be close - maybe half an hour?"

stack
2011-08-18, 06:48 AM
Arthur shrugs, "Even a ruined tower should keep most of the rain off. Otherwise its just a ruin, not a tower." He hefts his back, then looks up at the sky. "At least we will be cleaner." he says with a wry smile before turning to head down the trail.

Firebeard
2011-08-18, 07:14 AM
The walk is closer to an hour, but eventually you catch sight of the ruined tower high on a hill overlooking the road. It is more of an old tor - a watchtower surrounded by a keep wall - than anything. Even through the pouring rain you can see that the walls are badly damaged, with many access points through the rubble. Whether the holes in the walls are due to age and neglect, or through some more forceful means, you have no idea.

The tower itself is leaning precariously, and you can see that the entire western side appears to be open to the air and lashing rain. A flash of lightning - the first close one of the day - lit the interior for a moment, and you can see that the chambers are apparently completely empty aside from piles of strewn rubble.

As you begin your climb up the hill towards the tor, you notice that the land falls sharply beyond the tor. It's not quite a cliff on the back side, but the steepness of the terrain would certainly make defending that side of the keep far easier than from the road. Probably why the original builders put the tor in this location.

stack
2011-08-18, 08:09 AM
Seeing the tor, Arthur is once again filled with excitement, the recent battle forgotten in the rush. "Looks very defensible. Maybe not enough though, from the looks of these walls."

"Well, shall we start? Perhaps we should investigate the perimeter first before going inside. I'll take a look and see how stable this stonework is."

architecture&engineering [roll0]

Fuzzies
2011-08-18, 08:17 AM
"Perimeter search is a good idea. I'll be just ahead." Lisane moved forward to put alittle distance between herself and the others as they scouted along the walls. If this place was being used as a camp for some bandits, she would be more likely to avoid their notice if she was out in front.

Lisane gauged the stonework as she moved past it, trying to make sure it wasn't about to fall on her as she performed her duties. When she came to the first corner, she motioned for the others to stay back as she slid around it, only motioning for them to come ahead once she dtermined the coast was clear.

Making some Stealth checks to avoid anyone's notice. Also making some perception checks to find anyone that might be hanging around and making sure the walls didn't fall.

Stealth [roll0]
Perception foes [roll1]
Perception walls [roll2]

VonDoom
2011-08-18, 09:46 AM
With a frown on his face, the summoner wringed some of the rain he had soaked up out of his robe. He was a little slow to follow, as he cursed under his breath and pulled out a small bag from one of his pockets. His complaints became louder as he noticed that whatever was inside had gotten wet, but still pulled out what looked like a small piece of leather.

"Come here," he quietly called to Astera, mumbling some gutural words in a rather harsh-sounding language -- the language of devilkind, as he pulled the leather-piece taut and briefly touched the Eidolon's forehead with it. "This should keep you from almost getting disembowelled a second time."

Roshan casts Mage Armor on Astera, increasing her AC by 4 points, to 17.

Firebeard
2011-08-18, 10:32 AM
Lisane cautiously makes her way around the front of the walled structure, bypassing the broken gates and the rubble-filled holes in the walls with only a cursory glance into the interior. There was no movement, no huddled forms, nothing to indicate that the tor was occupied. Reaching the corner, she peered around it, squinting through the rain. A bolt of lightning shattered the sky and illuminated the walls. Nothing. Just more stone and grass.

She slipped around the corner, motioning the others to come ahead, and continued her search. Again, nothing indicated that the tor was occupied, but the leaning walls seemed precariously balanced. Near one breach in the walls, the upper heights of the wall leaned out a good 3 feet from the base. Eyeing the stones warily, she moved out away from the base and kept moving. As she got to the rear of the tor, she could see that the ground fell away from the base of the wall very sharply, leaving only about a 6 foot berm of earth and grass from the base of the wall to where the land fell away.

Motioning to the others once again, she pointed out a few spots where the wall sagged outwards, and indicated that they should walk away from the base, in order to avoid any falling debris. The grass was slick underfoot and the bare patches were turning into mudholes as the group set out along the back walls of the tor.

Arwen slipped in the mud of one such patch and flopped to the ground. Everyone paused, and Arthur was reaching to help the elf up when it happened. With a loud slurping sound, a large section of ground began to slide off over the embankment. It was a mudslide, and a big one! Everyone was caught in it, even Lisane who tried to dive away. As a group, everyone slid over the edge amidst a tumble of mud, grass, and water.

Arwen and Arthur were chosen at random, sorry guys :smallamused:

Everyone needs to make me a DC10 Reflex check to keep from being buried in the mud.

stack
2011-08-18, 10:37 AM
Seeing Arwen fall, Arthur stepped forward, reaching out his hand. "Treacherous isn't it? I've barely been able to keep upright myself." Then the hillside gave away, sending the studious oracle tumbling down.

reflex save [roll0] (he gets CHA to reflex saves)

Arthur stands, soiled and frustrated, freeing himself from the earthy mess. "Is everyone else alright? Hello?"

Airanath
2011-08-18, 10:41 AM
Rolling first, then editing with the text, in this case knowing what happened influences the posting some(at least for me).
Reflex Save DC10: [roll0]
Arwen trips and skids around, almost falling down, when the mud starts falling he rolls to the closest place where its not falling, barely avoiding being burried.
His eyes shut, he fumbles for his waterskin, his face covered with mud from falling face first, upon hearing Arthurs question, he promptly replies, even before washing his face, ending up tasting some of the mud on his lips.
"I am ok, just need to wash my face, mud doesn't taste so good", he spits the mud out as soon as he replies.
Once his eyes are clean, he opens them and looks around for the others, if the darkness is making it hard to see, he snaps his fingers and chants a few words in draconic, making himself glow.

Fuzzies
2011-08-18, 10:44 AM
Also rolling then editing. Look out below!

Lisane was looking back when she saw Arwen sprawl to the ground. Great, he can't even keep on his feet she was thinking when the ground started to move. For one moment of sheer panic she froze, not knowing what to do, then she flung herself forward, trying to make it past the slide zone. It didn't work. Her feet were pulled out from under her as the entire embankment started to move. She beat her arms at the flowing mud and grass trying to keep her head above the mass of slime and mud.

She tumbled for what seemed like minutes, but was probably only a few seconds, somehow managing to stay mostly on top of the slide. When it subsided, she looked around, anxious to see if the others had also managed to ride out the flow.

Percetion to find the others? [roll]1d20+7

"I'm here, a bit muddy, but none the worse for wear. These clothes are going to need a good scrubbing when we get back. so am I for that matter. What about Roshan and Astera? Do you guys see them?"

stack
2011-08-18, 10:05 PM
"I must say, the songs and tales are rather full of battles and rescues. Mud, not so much. A great deficiency of mud it the epic songs. Might have less adventurers otherwise." He gives up on scraping mud off and looks around for Roshan and Astera.

Find everyone, then check equipment.

Airanath
2011-08-18, 10:35 PM
"I guess the Shining Knight armor is just enchanted to not get muddy, so they just skip it as it won't get dirty anyway." Arwen replies, and worse of all, in a serious tone, missing the point implying "Mud is dangerous as most other epic stuff".
He stands and joins to help find those that still didn't reply, shining like a pratice dummy enchanted for night pratice.
"Would any of you like some light too?" he offers.

VonDoom
2011-08-19, 06:15 AM
Rolling my Reflex save first, too, as the post will depend on its results.
Roshan: [roll0]
Astera: [roll1]

Surprisingly, it was Roshan who managed to keep his balance with some semblance of dextrous skill as he slid downwards, cursing all the while in his native tongue. Just as he barely kept himself from stumbling over a rock and subsequently being smashed by a couple more that were following right after him, he finally came to a halt.

Astera wasn't so lucky. Her entire footing had suddenly given way underneath her, and as she dropped lower and lower she was dragged right into the dirt and finally ended up buried underneath quite a bit of dirt and, for a little variety, rock.

As the Summoner tried to regain his bearings, he just managed to hear Lisane calling out both his own name as well as Astera's, and he quickly called out "We're here!", before realizing that he couldn't see his Eidolon. "Wait, Astera? Where are you?!"

He looked around, trying to locate her underneath the muddy rubble.

Firebeard
2011-08-19, 06:28 AM
Casting about for signs of Astera, Roshan spies a clawed foot sticking partway out of the mud about 10 feet away. It was wiggling like mad as Astera tried to fight her way out of 5 feet of thick mud. He called out to the others, and they came - well, running would be difficult through the morass, but at least as fast as they were able. Using their hands, they scooped mud away from the eidolon until they could get a good enough grasp to lever her up out of the mud. Astera, claws flailing in panic, somehow managed not to injure anyone as she wriggled wildly out of the mud. Then, she sat and panted heavily as Roshan soothed her, until she was finally calmed back down.

A flash of lightning illuminates the side of the embankment, showing the steep side that you just came down. About 10 feet up from where you are and off you your left is a stone archway. The floor of the archway is caked in dried earth that is quickly turning to mud as you watch the rain fall. The back of the archway appears to be a pair of stone doors, banded in what looks like iron, with unintelligible runes around the edges.

From where you stand, the doors appear solid, and it is clear that the doorway had been buried and well hidden within the earth of the embankment for many years. The mudslide is the only reason they were exposed to the elements now, and you cannot help but wonder what lies behind.

stack
2011-08-19, 07:20 AM
Arthur collects his soiled gear, checking everything carefully before approaching the arch. "Fascinating. Perhaps we will find something new in this ruin after all. Lets have some more light."

light on shield, renewing as needed

""Let's take a look at this before we enter." He pauses, studying the archway carefully, muttering and gesturing occasional to attempt magic insight.

knowledge arch&eng [roll0]
read magic on the runes?
detect magic on the enterance

VonDoom
2011-08-19, 07:22 AM
"Hah!" Roshan called out, a mad grin breaking through the dirt and rather horrible mood that had come about as a result of the sudden mud-filled interlude. "Look! Look! Egg-run, that fool! We'll show him egg-run!"

He scrambled up from his current position, pulling Astera along, and stepped towards the door as quickly as he could, given the rather slippery ground beneath them, closing the short distance.

The Cheliaxian moved in close, trying to study the runes that had been carved into the edges of the door, hoping that his arcane study might reveal some clues as to what sort of runes these could be.

"Just look at it! It's old. We'll be the first to get in there in decades!", he chuckled, brushing some wet strands of his black hair to the side, though the gesture was fairly futile as they soon were right back to interfere with his eyes. He finally settled on simply holding them in place while the rain kept pouring on, waving the others closer with his remaining, free hand.

Roshan casts both Read Magic and Detect Magic as well.

Knowledge: arcane [roll0]
Knowledge: planar [roll1]
Spellcraft: [roll2]

Fuzzies
2011-08-19, 07:34 AM
Lisane rushed over to where Roshan was waving his arms and strugling to get Astera freed. She remembered a tale once of something similar that her mother had told her, of a Home Guard novice trapped in a snowfall. She grabbed one fo the spare bows from the hobgoblin loot and unstrung it. Then, she carefully slid the bowstave down alongside Astera's body, where the eidolon could grab hold and get some leverage to help them pull her out.

Once she was safely above the mud and recovering, Lisane sat back and looked around. They were at the bottom of the hill below the back side of the tor, and quite a ways down from the look of it. then, in a lightning flash she saw the archway and door behind it. Suddenly, she was part of a mad dash as everyone attempted to get up to the door.

She heard Arthur and Roshan talking about new findings, and saw them head straight for the runes. For herself, she was examining the door, attempting to see if it was locked of possibly barred in any way, and whether they could reasonably get the door open. from the outside

perception: [roll0]

Firebeard
2011-08-19, 07:52 AM
Despite the spells, Roshan and Arthur see nothing magical about the doors. They are simply what they appear - old stone and iron doors. The runes are an ancient script that no one appears to know, though Lisane thinks they looked somewhat like elven. As for the ranger, her examination of the pitted stone and iron showed her that the door opened outward - though Arthur pointed that the hinges being on this side of the door was a good clue - and that they were not barred from the inside. In fact, if they could scrape off the last of the muck and mud from the threshold, they could probably pry the door open - since there was no evidence of handles on this side of the door.

stack
2011-08-19, 08:09 AM
"All this gear and no shovel. Anyone bring a shovel or pry bar? If we are going to prove ourselves, it will be by seeing what's past this door. Might even make it into the chronicles."

Unlikely, we might not survive finding something that would get us in the chronicles. There's a happy thought.

Arthur grabs a nearby fallen branch to use to clear away dirt so the doors have a clear path.

Fuzzies
2011-08-19, 08:23 AM
"Well, I don't have a shovel, but I wouldn't mind using one of those hobgoblins' swords to do the job. It looked like decent steel." She pulled the longsword from her back and jammed the point into the gap between the doors. Straining, she pulled back, trying to use the flex in the steel to take up the extra power, and hoping the thing didn't break off in her hands.

Strength check [roll0]
some help would be nice.

Grunting with the effrot, she said "Some help would be nice. I think I almost have it."

stack
2011-08-19, 08:41 AM
"Right, let me get in position." Arthur moves in awkwardly, trying not to offend the ranger as he applies his strength to hers.

aid another, strength check, [roll0]

He begins to push, then slips off and tumbles unceremoniously to the mud. That went well.

VonDoom
2011-08-19, 09:05 AM
"Help," Astera suddenly said as she stepped forward, a determined expression on her face, once Arthur had stumbled and fallen to the ground.

Powerful, wiry arms reached around the ranger's shoulders, hands ending in sharp claws enfolding the half-elf's own, as the Eidolon applied her strength to aid the woman.

Aid Another, Strength Roll: [roll0]

Airanath
2011-08-19, 09:28 AM
Arwen helps pulling the Eidolon out of the mud.
"Bright side, she didn't get crushed or hurt, just a bit dirty. A few minutes of rain and she will be as new as before."
He walks around as if looking for somehthing, before almost absent midenly staring at the door, as he hears the first grunts of the effort being made to pry it open he notices his friends and tries to help.
[roll0]
"Woah, this one is heavy" he states.

Firebeard
2011-08-19, 09:34 AM
Astera's strength, added to Lisane's was enough. With a slight grating noise, the right door began to move outward. Dust from the top of the door, where the rain had yet to dampen, began to sift down. As the door moved, the grating noise increased. Once the door had moved outwards a few inches, everyone was able to get their hands on it and make the process easier.

The stone door was thick. Nearly a foot of stone had been levered out of the jamb by the time the first crack of darkness beyond began to show. Musty air rolled out, air damp and heavy with age. The air had the cool dampness of that of a cavern in the earth, and as the door opened fully enough to see into the space beyond, that is what it appeared - a cavern or worked stone and tile.

The light on Arthur's shield revealed the details of the floor, a marble tile in random patterns, with a rusty red border running along the outer edge and disappearing into the darkness. The side walls are visible, and you can see doorways on either side of the room. The far end of the room is lost in the darkness. Another bolt of lightning sounds, the thunder following practically right behind the flash. It was close, so close you could smell the ozone in the air.

Okay, here we go. Since we have both elf and human sight abilities, this is gonna be a little weird. I am going to put all maps up as if the low-light people were seeing it. I just ask that the humans not act on anything that is out of their sight range. for sight range purposes, the edge of the "bright" zone is the far edge of shadowy for human vision. Unaugmented humans cannot see in the "dim" zone at all. I'll factor in shadowy concealment for attacks made in the human's dim zone (which isn't shown in the map.

Speaking of which...here's the map. (http://bradgrinstead.com/Pathfinders/tor1.png)

stack
2011-08-19, 09:52 AM
Sticking his head through the opening with irrepressible curiosity, Arthur holds his shield high to get a better look. "I can't even see the walls. Hold on."

he bends down to pick up a stone dislodged by the door opening, which promptly begins glowing brightly, before it starts to float out around the room ahead of the young oracle. Glad I thought of that.

light on the stone, ending the shield light (duration 10 min), mage hand to move it 25' (duration concentration), first along the left wall, then arcing to the right.

Firebeard
2011-08-19, 09:59 AM
The light on the shield went out as the glowing stone meandered across the room. it showed a roughly square room about 90 feet square, with brick walls and marble tile covering the entire floor. The slowly moving stone circled the room in a semicircle, staying about 20-25 feet away from Arthur. The added range allowed Lisane and Arwen to see another door - this one clearly made of wood - in the far wall of the chamber. Other than some light rubble and dust, the room was completely empty.

Fuzzies
2011-08-19, 10:03 AM
"Nice thinking Arthur. I can see another door in the opposite wall. That's one for every wall in the room. Though it looks like the exit on the left wall there is missing its door." At the crash of lightning, she jumped. "We had better get inside. That was too close. I don't want to be the lightning rod in this storm."

Saying that, she stepped inside and carefully looked around her. She wondered at the age of this place, and what had happened to seal it off from the outside world.

stack
2011-08-19, 10:11 AM
Arthur stops in his tracks, almost losing control of the glowing stone.
Hmm...storm...mysterious doorway...seemingly empty room. Rush in to find shelter, unsuspecting...stories suggest..."Let's check for traps. "

He lets the stone settle to the floor before resuming his gestures and mutters.
detect magic all around

Firebeard
2011-08-19, 10:14 AM
Despite his precautions, Arthur still sees no evidence of magic - traps or otherwise. The room is exactly what it appears - though that doesn't necessarily rule out traps of the more mundane variety, of course.

Airanath
2011-08-19, 10:39 AM
He looks around the ruins, looking at every detail in admiration, he may not have studied this, but the feats of engineering never cease to amaze him.
Arwen walks inside with Lisane, the cold air and the rain were enough for a day. (Just remembering, Arwen is keeping light cast on his armor)
"Brrr..." he shivers some once inside, "I just wish we could get a fire running to dry ourselves and get the heat back in our bones."

Firebeard
2011-08-19, 10:56 AM
As you move into the chamber to explore, armor and rock glowing, you can hear the wind and rain beginning to pick up outside. The floor near the door is getting wet as the wind pushes the corpulent drops of falling water further and further under the archway. Suddenly, a large thunderclap pierces the noise of the storm. Its sound is nearly deafening and the ground shakes beneath your feet. From above comes the distant sound of crashing masonry, while closer at hand the wooden doors on the doorway straight ahead of you crash from their hinges.

From the open hallway to the left comes a wave of squeaking noises. The chittering and squeaking grows louder and in the light of Arthur's glowing stone, you can see dozens of eyes coming down the tunnel. The furry horde breaks into the large chamber, hundreds of small mice and rats tumbling over each other in terror, with a few larger rats bulling the smaller ones aside. Sheparding them all is a pair of rats the size of small dogs, with bony protrusions sticking from their skins and a malevolent look in their eyes. The smaller vermin seem to ignore you completely, but at a series of growls and squeaks from the largest of the pair, some of the smaller rats turn towards you with teeth bared.

Initiative time

rats [roll0]
Roshan [roll1]
Arwen [roll2]
Arthur [roll3]
Lisane [roll4]

Round 1 initiatives...

Roshan 25
Arwen 10
Lisane 10
Arthur 7
rats 5

here's the map! (http://bradgrinstead.com/Pathfinders/tor1a.png)

stack
2011-08-19, 11:15 AM
"Rats! Let's take out the big ones, the rest might scatter!" Sounds good anyway.

Arthur moves toward the rodents, before stopping and shouting to the nearest large rat, "Attack them," while pointing back to the other vermin.

move to h -6, murderous command on the dire rat in E -10,

will save DC 15, 1 round
"You give the target a mental urge to kill its nearest ally, which it obeys to the best of its ability. The target attacks its nearest ally on its next turn with a melee weapon or natural weapon. If necessary, it moves to or charges to the nearest ally in order to make this attack. If it is unable to reach its closest ally on its next turn, the target uses its turn to get as close as possible to the ally."

Why do I even carry this morning-star, when I never have time to draw it?

Airanath
2011-08-19, 11:18 AM
Damn, rats, those pests might come for a bite on my grimoire, Arwen thinks as he draws his bow and strings it upon seeing the growling rats , forgeting about his scimitar in favor for his favored weapon, wasting precious time with it.
As soon as he is done, he nocks an arrow and aims for the biggest rat in the group (C, -13).
Move Action: Draw bow and string it.
Standard Action, Shot with the longbow: [roll0]

Fuzzies
2011-08-19, 11:19 AM
Lisane instinctively grabbed for her sword when the rats appeared. As the big ones snarled at them, she drew the blade and launched herself forward. The curveblade wasn't exactly well suited for engaging such small creatures, but she could at be assured that a hit would be enough to put one down.

Charging to F/-9, attacking the big rat at E/-10.
attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

VonDoom
2011-08-21, 04:33 AM
"Rats! Why must there be rats?" Roshan complained, taking a step back as his gaze travelled towards the really big ones. He wasn't a big fan of vermin, though at least these shouldn't be quite as filthy as those living in the city. "Try not to get bitten, who knows what kind of diseases they carry."

He pulled out his crossbow, moving away from the little creatures as best he could.

Roshan draws his crossbow and moves to M4.

His Eidolon, meanwhile, had the exact opposite idea, as she once again dashed straight at the tiny creatures, trying to land a hit on the closest one she could reach.

Action: Astera moves to G-9 and follows up with a claw attack using Power Attack -1/+2.
[roll0] [roll1]

Firebeard
2011-08-21, 09:19 PM
Arthur called for the others to leave the big one alone as he cast a spell to bring it under his control. Lisane and Astera, both headed for the dog-sized rat, swerved away at his shout, each taking out one of the others. Lisane's heavy blade ripped one of the smaller buck rats completely in two, scratching the floor as the blade bit through. Astera reached down with a clawed hand and snatched up another, shredding it with her long claws. Arwen's arrow, hastily fired, skipped off the wall beside the other dog-sized rat.

In return, the creatures swarmed Lisane and Astera, biting and scrabbling with tiny claws. The one under Arthur's control bit one of the smaller rats, ripping a long gash down its flank. In return, the smaller rat nipped at its tormentor's nose. Lisane and Astera both took a bite, though Lisane's came from the largest of the rats and was the worse.

Lisane takes 3 damage and owes me a fort save

Astera takes 1 damage

Round 1 initiatives...

Roshan 25
Arwen 10
Lisane 10
Arthur 7
rats 5

here's the map! (http://bradgrinstead.com/Pathfinders/tor1b.png)

stack
2011-08-21, 09:37 PM
Arthur moves forward, fumbling desperately for his morning-star while keeping his shield low to block sharp teeth. Can't let the others get surrounded. I hope those wounds don't get infected. I'm not powerful enough to heal more than cuts and bruises.

He calls to the women, "Coming up the middle."

move action to E -9, standard action to draw weapon

VonDoom
2011-08-22, 03:31 AM
With a determined expression, Roshan carefully stepped forwards into the wider chamber, moving sideways so as to not lose sight of those irksome critters, with their bristling fur and their sharp teeth.

His attention was particularly focused on the big one closest to Astera, that huge thing with its bony protrusions. Carefully, the mage pointed his weapon at the creature -- he was largely spent as far as any casting was concerned, having expended quite a bit of his arcane energies on the protective spell he had cast on his Eidolon. But he had no aspirations of merely being a useless extra, even if he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, he was still determined to at least try and contribute with his trusty crossbow.

Roshan pulled the trigger, launching one of the missiles in the vague direction of the rat, hoping against all odds that he might actually hit.

Meanwhile, Astera was far more successful, as her first attack had already slain one of those tiny rats; she growled when she felt the pain of their tiny claws and teeth raking at her, trying to climb up onto her feet. A scream of fury followed as she slashed down with both claws, trying to dispatch both of her animal tormentors at the same time.

Roshan: Move Action: Move to G3. Standard Action: Shoot crossbow at Big Rat on E-10. Not sure about range penalties, have to reread those rules when I'm at home. Please substract accordingly. Range is 80'. Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]

Astera: Full-round Action: Claw attack rat at I-9, then attack rat at H-9. If any of them is still alive, Bite attack on one of the survivors. Power Attack at -1/+2.
Claw 1: [roll2], damage [roll3]
Claw 2: [roll4], damage [roll5]
Bite 1: [roll6], damage [roll7]

Airanath
2011-08-22, 07:11 AM
Arwen clear his mind and tries to focus, I am better than this, I can hit those creatures, he chants in his mind over and over, while ignoring that he is partaking the archer's nightmare right now: Shooting at tiny moving targets, that given the chance will come gnaw at your feet.
His mind calmed a bit, he takes careful aim, and shots again for the bigger rat, intent on felling the best in one shot, if at all possible.
He moves to get a clearer shot on the rat, as he charges his bow with arcane energy, and them fires, aiming for the creature head, as small as it is, should he hit, it probably will go down.
Move Action: Move to F, -1
Swift Action: Burn a point from the arcane pool to make his bow magical for 1min(+1hit and dam)
Deadly Aim Longbow shot(-1hit, +2dam) at Large Rat(E,-10): [roll0]

Fuzzies
2011-08-22, 09:04 AM
Lisane jerked her leg away from the dog-sized rat - the largest rat she had ever seen - and minced. The thing's teeth had nipped right through her leather pants and gouged a deep wound just above her knee. A glance down showed her that her pants were already being stianed with her blood, but the wound didn't look too bad.

Growling away the pain, she looped her blade back around at the large vermin. The blade sliced through the air with practiced ease.

fort save [roll0]

attack at C/-9

attack [roll1]
damage [roll2]

Firebeard
2011-08-22, 09:40 AM
In an unfortunate series of events, Arwen cuts in front of Roshan as the summoner was about to fire his crossbow. Roshan managed to yank the crossbow away, the bolt skipping across the ground at Awen's feet. The magus jumped, his own arrow going far astray as he sheepishly looked back at Roshan in apology.

Meanwhile, Arthur strode up in the midst of the rats, pulling his morningstar with more determination than he felt. The oracle's palms were sweaty, but they were only rats after all...even if one of them was practically the size of a small pony. He flinched slightly as Lisane's heavy blade ripped the dog-sized rat in front of her completely in two, scattering viscera in all directions.

The rats in front of Arthur were intimidated by Lisane's casual killing of one of their leaders, and only managed meager efforts at biting the oracle. As Astera reached down for another of the rats, it nipped her on the hand, causing the fiendkin to drop the creature back to the ground. The remaining leader of the rats - obviously male, and with heavy scarrign on its face and back - snarled at the bucks, turning what was about to be a vermin retreat into a steady combat once again.

Astera takes 1 damage

Round 3 initiatives...

Roshan 25
Arwen 10
Lisane 10
Arthur 7
rats 5

here's the map! (http://bradgrinstead.com/Pathfinders/tor1c.png)

stack
2011-08-22, 09:57 AM
Right, well not the first time I've been covered in blood today. Guess I should get used to it. He holds back his stomach's attempt to escape through his mouth as he raises the beaten old weapon high, bringing its spikes down in a sharp arc toward the vermin.

attack the big one, [roll0]
damage [roll1]
crit con if needed [roll2]
crit damage if needed [roll3]

HP 10, AC 19, 2/4 lvl 1 spells left

Ugh, maybe I'll leave that out of the report.

Airanath
2011-08-22, 10:11 AM
Damn, I've gotta pay some attention, almost got a crossbow bolt into my back for not looking around, Arwen thinks as he repositions himself again, since Arthur is now blocking his aim to the huge rat.
He moves, breathing deeply, trying to steady his hands and mind to actually hit something.
Move Action: Move to A, -2
Deadly Aim(-1 hit, +2dam); Longbow enchanted to +1 for 9 more rounds.
Longbow Shot at the huge rat: [roll0]

Fuzzies
2011-08-22, 10:51 AM
Lisane swung Alrathien out wide, giving the blade a flick at the end to clear it of the worst of the gore. Quickly, she stepped into the area now covered in gore, and bore down on another of the large rats. She brought the blade back around, nimble wrists turning the blade, just so, intending to pass through the rat without ever touching the stone floor.

5' adjust to C/-9 to flank

attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

BTW, did I pass the fort save?

VonDoom
2011-08-22, 03:28 PM
Astera was still fighting with the little rats assaulting her, but then noticed that her allies to the right had begun a battle against the big verminous creature -- and what with her apparent difficulties actually hitting the little ones, she decided she might as well make her way towards their big brother while trying to tear them apart! She carefully leapt to the side, moving closer to Arthur as her claws once again reached for two of the rats.

Roshan, too, had a similar thought as he moved towards Arwen, halting once he stood at his side. He had the crossbow cocked, but after a moment he realized that aiming didn't really help much when the blasted thing wasn't loaded! The Summoner quickly reached into his belt pouch for another bolt, placing it into his weapon and pulling back the lever. Now he was ready once again!

I just noticed I totally missed something about Power Attack -- Primary Natural Weapons get 1 1/2 the damage bonus from it.

Roshan: Move Action: Move to G-1. Standard Action: Reload Crossbow.
Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] Forgot to delete when I copy/pasted the code format from my last post. Ignore!

Astera: Five-foot adjust to G-9. Full-round Action: Claw attack rat at H-9, then attack rat at F-10. If any of them is still alive, Bite attack on one of the survivors. Power Attack at -1/+3.
Claw 1: [roll2], damage [roll3]
Claw 2: [roll4], damage [roll5]
Bite 1: [roll6], damage [roll7]
Potential AoO: [roll8], damage [roll9]

Firebeard
2011-08-22, 03:42 PM
Astera tore into the rats near her with a fury, rending claws ripping one apart before snatching another to her fang mouth. In seconds, both rodents were bleeding husks on the ground and the eidolon was staring around looking for the next opponent, blood smearing her hands and face. Arwen, determined to do better this time, fired an arrow that flashed between Lisane and Arthur, diving into the remaining rat leader's side. The rodent quivered for a moment, then reached back to gnaw at the shaft protruding from its side before falling over dead. Lisane's blade slashed down again in another sweeping arc to decapitate the buck rat in front of her.

The remaining rodent, having seen both its leaders cut down viciously, decided to take advantage of the fact that no one was near it at the moment. Squeaking in terror, it fled for the outside door, preferring the downpour and chance of lightning strike to the obvious death held int eh hands and claws of those it had fought against. The shadows were still and the room itself quiet, except for the noise of the storm that continued unabated outside.

It took but a moment for the group to recollect itself, and for everyone to inspect their injuries before deciding what to do next. The doors in the northern wall have crashed open, but are still blocking the view beyond. The eastern passage where the rats came from reveals a hallway 40 feet long and opening into a room beyond.

Congratulations! 217 XP to everyone for defeating 2 dire rats and 6 common rat bucks.

No treasure (hey, they're rats!), but you did a good job of working together. this looks like a great group.

stack
2011-08-22, 03:58 PM
Arthur sighs as he lowers his arms. "Lisane, do you need any healing? Anyone else?" He puts the morningstar away and slings his shield. "Let's take a few minutes erst before we continue, catch our breath."

CLW, if anyone wants it [roll]1d8+1[roll]

His mind turns toward what he will write in his journal. Into the dark? The lost passage? Rats in the dark? Nah.

After they rest, he renews the light spell on the stone, then begins levitating it again, ready to check out the tunnel.

Airanath
2011-08-22, 07:15 PM
Arwen search for all the arrows he missed, to see if they are still usable and retrieves them.
Finally, he retrieves the arrow that killed the dog-sized rat , and makes it glow using his magic, shoting it through the cracked door, he then follows the arrow to have a peek at what is at the other side, that is one arrow he is not keeping anyway, disgusting vermin.

Fuzzies
2011-08-22, 08:08 PM
LIsane heard Arhur and glanced at her leg. The blood was still seeping from teh gash above her knee and she truly didn't want it to get infected. "Yes, a little healing would be nice. Who knows what filth and diseases that rat had on him. I hope I don't get sick."

Arthur's healing energy washed over her leg and brought blessed relief. The wound closed and when she moved, she was no longer limping. Once the others had lit their stones and arrow, she walked over to the hallway, sword still drawn, and peered in.

stack
2011-08-22, 09:16 PM
As the others investigate the hallway, Arthur satraps his shield to his arm and hefts his morningstar. Best be prepared. "Let me stay toward the front, with Lisane. Her eyes are better, but I am pretty well protected."

Firebeard
2011-08-22, 09:39 PM
You creep down the hallway, Lisane and Arthur in the lead. Arwen's magically lit arrow appears to be resting at the foot of a tall statue. The thing is hideous, a carving of an upright sarcophagus whose sculptor seemed to go to every length to twist and despoil any artistry or beauty. It was the kind of baroque sculpture that would make gargoyles turn their faces in disgust. The head of the figure on the sarcophagus is distorted, with tendrils in the place of hair, it's mottled carving looking as if pulsating nodules cover the entire surface. Aside from the statue, the room appears bare and empty.

VonDoom
2011-08-23, 05:06 AM
"Still fine," Astera muttered when healing was offered, her expression a bit strained due to the two rather nasty bites on her legs. "Save for later." She was wiping her claws and face on a cloth Roshan had handed to her as they proceeded forward, though the blood didn't seem to disturb her much.

Roshan carefully moved closer to the sarcophagus once they had entered, stroking his chin as he looked up at it. "Well now, that's an ugly one. Anyone care to guess who, or what, might be inside?"

The creature's appearance clearly didn't seem to bother him all that much, at least for now, aside from acknowledging the sheer twistedness of it.

Knowledge: planar [roll0]

Fuzzies
2011-08-23, 07:26 AM
Lisane curled her lips at the nastiness of the statue in the room. "Why would anyone carve something so hideous? I mean, that's disgusting." Carefully she entered the room and looked around for any other signs of occupation or things of interest. Once she is sure they are no in immediate danger, she turns back to the statue. "Have any of you heard of anything like this before?"

Airanath
2011-08-23, 08:01 AM
"I would have gone with a leaf motif myself, they clearly lacked artistic sense." he states as he studies the "thing" trying to recall any useful information he might have read about it during his library exploration trips.

Knowledge:Arcana 1d20+8Knowledge:Arcana (1d20+8)[10]
Knowledge: Planes 1d20+8Knowledge: Planes (1d20+8)[26]
Knowledge: Dungeoneering 1d20+8Knowledge: Dungeoneering (1d20+8)[11]
Edit: Rolling OOC since I messed up the code here

stack
2011-08-23, 08:45 AM
Arthur examines the statue silently, racking his brain for any clues of its purpose, the stone clattering to the floor, bouncing away from him as his concentration is taken from the spell.

Whichever is needed:
[roll0] Arch, dungeneering, geography, history, nobility, or planes (trained)
[roll1] arcana, local, nature, or religion (untrained)

Firebeard
2011-08-23, 08:49 AM
As you move into the room, you can see off to the right a large hole in the wall with some detritus piled up around it. The smell of rat is strong in this room, and you can make a pretty good guess that the hole is the previous lair of the rat tide you encountered in the outer room. Other than that and the statue, the room appears to be bare. You can also smell a lingering odor of decay - though that is likely attributed to the rodents.

Arwen and Roshan both try and remember any hint of this style of artistry, but nothing truly comes to mind. There have been many artists throughout the centuries who have deviated from the "norm" of their medium, but nothing like this. As you move closer to the statue to take in more of the grotesque sculpture, the head suddenly springs to life. Bat-like wings extend from the body and brilliant green eyes open. The thing lunges out from the place it was resting, the sarcophagus' head having been carved out to fit it more comfortably. With an ear-piercing shriek, the thing flies straight towards you, tendril-like hair waving in the air.

Roshan and Arwen recognize the creature just before it launches its attack. The scream confirms it - a varghouille!

Everyone roll me a DC12 Fort save or be paralyzed with fear for [roll0] rounds (mind-affecting).

Initiative rolls:

varghouille [roll1]
Roshan [roll2]
Arwen [roll3]
Arthur [roll4]
Lisane [roll5]

((Hold off on combat actions until the map is posted and you have passed your Fort save))

round 1 initiatives

Arwen 12
Lisane 11
varghouille 9
Roshan 7
Arthur 2

Here's the map. (http://bradgrinstead.com/Pathfinders/tor2a.png)

Airanath
2011-08-23, 08:55 AM
Fortitude: [roll0]
Arwen feels his body tremble with the fiercy shrierk of the creature, but braces himself from freezing in fear. What kind of pathfinder would I be if I wet my pants and tremble in fear at every other shrieking abomination I see?
"Brace your self everyone, this is the worst this monster can do to us, he tries to hide the concerns he doesn't remember much other than the Vangorille mind rending voice, "Srug it off and we can easily drop this thing." He proclaims, more confident than he feels, trying to boost his friends morale.

Fuzzies
2011-08-23, 09:05 AM
Lisane started to raise her sword as the thing rose into the air. Then, the malevolent green eyes caught and held her attention as the thing opened its mouth and screamed. The noise seemed to root her in place, vibrating deep into her soul and dredging up fears from her past that she thought she had gotten over years ago. She couldn't move as her mind retreated in a gibbering terror. She could only stand still and wonder how they were going to get out of this one alive.

Guess you guys are on your own for this one. I'll cheer you on in the OOC thread.

stack
2011-08-23, 09:48 AM
fort save [roll0]

Arthur staggers under the overpowering shriek, nearly doubling over. Have to stay in the fight. They need me. He shakes-off effect, but not before it has slowed his reaction, his weapon rising late.

IC explanation for the low initiative

VonDoom
2011-08-23, 09:57 AM
The Summoner's eyes widened as he recognized the creature. He was just about to call out "Var-", then was suddenly stopped as the fiendish thing began to unleash its mind-rending scream. He knew all too well that he had to move, that freezing in place was the worst possible thing he could do in a combat situation, but as this mind-curling scream reached deep into him he found that he couldn't even manage to lift a single finger voluntarily; though they certainly did cramp up and twitch as he desperately tried to keep control of certain fear-induced impulses one might give into at such an opportunity, best unmentioned by name.

Astera, however, reacted in the same aggressive manner she had displayed so far. Trying to match and overpower the scream with a battle cry of her own, she immediately leapt towards the monster, rushing through right between her comrades, to tear and bite at the Vargouille!

Astera: Charge to best spot to attack. Attack Vargouille with Power Attack.
Bite: [roll0], damage [roll1]
AC-2 until next round, to 15.

Firebeard
2011-08-23, 09:58 AM
Everyone has posted their Fort saves, and Arwen is the only one who is up before the monster. Have at it, elf-boy.

Airanath
2011-08-23, 01:00 PM
Arwen gives a quick look around, to see which of his allies are not frozen by the eerie screech. He worries as he sees Roshan and Lisane frozen, but knows they depend on him to see the next day. He sees the fiend-eidolon reading for a charge, and decides his bow might still serve, but priorities come first.
He interposes himself between his allies and the Vargourille, and mutters the spell he memorized just this morning, in case he gets the chance to shot with his bow, better not take this creature lightly if he can use his main weapon.
Moving to B, -25.
Casting Gravity Bow, increasing his bow damage to 2d6.

Firebeard
2011-08-23, 01:11 PM
Most having frozen in place, Arwen stepped forward to interpose himself. He drew his bow back and muttered an incantation to increase the utility of his bow. He was likely only going to get once shot at the thing. it lunged for him, leathery wings splayed wide and long, needle-like teeth flashing. he managed to get his bow between him and it, when from the side came a flash of dark red skin and flapping cloak.

Astera lunged at the creature, knowing that it was the source of the scream that had so debilitated her master. Claws flashing, she grabbed the bat wings and nearly ripped them from the soggy flesh of the head as she tore into it with her teeth. Spitting the foul blood from her mouth, she cast the body aside. Hacking and coughing, she tried to clear her mouth of the bitter foulness that the thing's lifeblood had left behind.

It didn't take but a few moments for the others to snap out of the fear-induced paralysis, once the varghouille was dead. Shaking and muttering, they managed to put themselves back together and collect their wits.

okay, easy fight when some one manages to do that much damage in a single blow. 100XP to everyone.

stack
2011-08-23, 01:42 PM
"Well, it will make a better story than rats. Let's check to make sure there is nothing interesting in this room, then go back an check the other doors off the main room. I think we've already found more than expected, but not much as far as paying back our loan."

As the room is small, Arthur illuminates his shield, poking odd stones with his weapon as he looks around the room and statue.

light on shield
perception [roll0]
Detect magic on statue, walls. If he finds nothing, light/mage hand on the stone and head back to the main room, unless anyone else finds anything.

"Think there's a bounty on any of these things? The bandits and rats? Or that thing?" He waves his weapon at what was left of the creature.

knowledge local [roll1] untrained

Fuzzies
2011-08-23, 01:56 PM
Lisane snapped out of her paralysis once Astera had destroyed the creature. Blinking rapidly, she stilled her trembling and forced the memories from her mind. She watched the eidolon, who had likely saved them from some serious punishment at the hands...no, teeth of that thing...clear her mouth. Lisane reached into her pack and puleld forth her waterskin and held it out to Astera. "Good job there."

Then, hearing Arthur's comments, she replied "The bandits maybe. The stuff in here, I doubt it. You heard Stiles. They think this place is abandoned. All we're likely to get from anyone other than the Pathfinders is a 'thank you'...assuming we even get that much. No, if we're to come out of this with enough to pay back our loan and maybe more besides, we'll have to find it ourselves. Don't forget all the stories of Pathfinders taking a loss on adventures. We wouldn't be the first that it's happened to."

Saying that, she went over to the statue and began to examine it for any signs of treasure or openings.

take 20 for a total of 27 perception.

Firebeard
2011-08-23, 02:36 PM
Lisane and Arthur began to search the area for any signs of treasure that the varghouille might have stashed away. Given that there was no way to know how long the thing had been down here, things weren't exactly promising. Arthur poked around the rat hole with his morningstar, but found nothing of interest - plenty of rat droppings, small bones, and fur, but nothing of interest.

Lisane did a little better. In the hole in the stature where the sarcophagus' head would have been, she found a small hollow. There in the dark recesses she found a small ring and a stone. The stone was green with brown striping through it, polished smooth and shaped roughly like a pear. The ring was brass and had a tiny book and scroll set on it in place of a gemstone. No corrosion could be seen on the ring, which looked as if it had been freshly polished.

VonDoom
2011-08-23, 02:50 PM
Roshan shuddered violently, clearing his throat repeatedly as if trying to get rid of the aftertaste of the cursed scream and the fear that had come with it. "Good," he coughed, "good job, Astera." Oh, they both were going to require a proper bath tonight -- with soap. While he had little love lost on his native country, at least that one luxury was one he often missed in the seedier regions.

He shook again, trying to dispel whatever had come over him and regain his composure. "We may be able to get a reward out of the city guard, or perhaps the mayor -- these things are normally highly infective and spread quickly. It may be better if we didn't mention where exactly we came upon it, though."

When Lisane and Arthur began looking around, the Summoner watched them with great interest, looking over Lisane's shoulder when she pulled out the ring. "Looks interesting," he noted. "Give it here a moment, I'll see if there's any magic to it."

He held out his hand, waiting for the half-elf to react.

Casting Detect Magic. If given the items and either are magical, he'll attempt to identify them. If both are magical, he'll try the ring first.
Spellcraft:
Roll 1: [roll0]
Roll 2: [roll1]

Firebeard
2011-08-23, 02:56 PM
Arthur's magic detection sensed the ring as Lisane held it out. He spoke up and Roshan concentrated on it for a minute, letting his arcane senses pick up the minutia of the energies the ring was putting out. After a short time, he smiled in satisfaction.

@roshan

The ring is indeed magical. It is a ring of translation. When worn, it allows the bearer to speak and understand two languages - dwarven and giant. The wearer does not gain the permanent ability to understand these languages, only while wearing the ring.

stack
2011-08-23, 03:11 PM
"A magic ring?" I've never actually seen one, not for real. Uncle Barth said he used to have one, but sold it years ago. Arthur's voice is practically trembling with excitement and eagerness. "Can you discern its enchantment? This alone will make our trip worthwhile. Though We should still check the other doors, maybe get back into the above-ground portion of the tower if we can. have to be thorough."

His mind danced with the thought of finding more hidden bits of arcana.

Firebeard
2011-08-24, 07:47 AM
Moving quickly back into the entry chamber, Arthur excitedly hurries tot he northern door. The others quickly follow the oracle, as eager to stay together as they are to explore the rest of the ruins. Once at the door, you can see that the wooden planks are rotting and the hinges apparently vibrated out during that last big lightning strike. It doesn't take much more than a heavy shove to send the left door toppling to the floor. The right one is slightly more sturdy, and hangs by its lower hinge at an awkward angle.

Behind the doors is a long hallway. So long, in fact, that even with Arthur's glowing stone out at the limit of his magical reach, the light still did not illuminate the far end. The walls of the hallway were the brick and smooth worked stone of the entry chamber, and the floor was the same marble tile. As the illuminated stone passed down the hall, you can see sconces set at regular intervals. The air smells - if it is even possible - even older and more dank than the entry chamber did when you first arrived.

Fuzzies
2011-08-24, 08:13 AM
Lisane got very excited when she saw the gem and the ring. When Roshan and Arthur idenitifed it as magic, there was definitely something to get excited about. It was thefirst bit of treasure on this trip that was notably worth something above and beyond simple weapon prices. Not to mention its effect. Why, it could be anything. While she waited to find out what it could do, she went back into the main chamber with Arhur.

the hallways leading north from teh broken doors was dark and damp. Even with her elven heritage, she could not see to the very end. She held her sword ready and cautiously began to lead the way, constantly on the lookout for traps or evn just loose stones int he walls or ceiling , loosened byt he years and the storm outside.

As she got to the edge of the light, she motioned back to Arthur to come forward and bring the light with him. She continued in this way to the end of the hallway.

Leapfrogging forward with the light until we come to the end of the hallway or a branch.

Some perception checks if you need them to spot traps or loose rubble that might fall on us.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Airanath
2011-08-24, 08:54 AM
Arwen follows meekly, wow... a rat... that goes a long way to prove my abilities, seems I need to pratice more.
He looks around, not paying much attention, renewing his magical light when necessary.
"Guess it wasn't a worthless trip at least, with some luck the ring can cover our expenses, and these ruins might be worth a small reward too, as they don't seem to have been explored before, maybe some architet would reward us for finding them out."

stack
2011-08-24, 08:57 AM
Arthur sniffs the air. How long has it been since anyone walked this hall? What could be at the other end?

He follows Lisane, keeping the glowing stone high and as far ahead as his concentration would allow. Glad I can move this light while keeping my hands free for other matters. He spares a glance at his morningstar and shield. The also periodically looks at the walls of the tunnel, trying to tell if they are still solid after the mudslide and so many years.

know arch & eng [roll0]

Firebeard
2011-08-24, 09:21 AM
Lisane and the others proceed in that fashion, with the ranger out in front of the others by 20 feet or so. the hallway was long, about 150 feet. When Lisane came to the end of the hallway, she could see that it emptied into a stone chamber furnished with cracked and moldering tables. On top of the tables are rusted tools and steel implements. Rain is falling through a shaft in the ceiling that must run all to the surface. It pools on the ground around a drain that has clogged, allowing only a little drainage. Around the drain on the floor are old stains, dark and full of menace, suggesting the drain has carried more than simply water away in the past.

From around the right corner came a snarl, and Lisane was staring at the gray-green skin of a hobgoblin, not 20 feet away! The beast charged her, but she managed to get her blade up in time. With a screech of tortured metal, the hobgoblin's blade was deflected just in time for Lisane to dodge the blow of a second hobgoblin. The fight was on!

Monsters got the surprise round since your light kind of gives you away.

Rolling initiatives...

Roshan [roll0]
Arwen [roll1]
Arthur [roll2]
Lisane [roll3]
hobgoblin [roll4]

Round 1 initiatives:

hobgoblin 20
Arwen 16
Roshan 15
Lisane 10
Arthur 5

Here's the map. (http://bradgrinstead.com/Pathfinders/tor3a.png)

The hobgoblins press in on Lisane, blades landing heavy blows, but somehow she manages to block most of the strikes. One gets through her guard and nicks her on the neck, causing a small sting of pain, but nothing too noticeable.

Lisane takes 1 damage. Now the group goes. Have at them!

stack
2011-08-24, 09:37 AM
The glowing stone falls with a splash as Arthur charges forward, determined to be more useful in this fight than the last few. He who dares succeeds. "Flee beasts!"

He throws all his strength into a downward stroke, hoping to quickly bring the matter to a close.

charge and attack -AH -3[roll0]
damage [roll1]
AC 17 (from charge), HP 10

VonDoom
2011-08-24, 12:19 PM
"Well, that's ... peculiar," Roshan thought out loud. He briefly put on the ring, saying a few words first in Giant, and then in Dwarven with a curious look on his face. Finally, he shrugged and turned his attention to the half-elf ranger. "It lets you speak both Dwarven and ... the Giant tongue. Rather specific, I wonder who would need those two specifically."

As they proceeded and, once again, ran into some monsters -- Hobgoblins, no less -- Roshan put a hand on Astera's shoulder. "It's too narrow," he said. "Stay back, but be ready to get in there if need be."

Sorry about the short post, feeling a bit through the wind.
Astera: Delay Action -- if Lisane goes down, she'll charge to her position and attack the Hobgoblin who last attacked Lisane. If Arthur goes down, she will move to his position regularly and do the same. (No charging line.)

Fuzzies
2011-08-24, 12:24 PM
Lisne felt, rather than saw, Arthur moving up behind her. She ducked under one swing and stepped into teh combat, between her opponents. Normally she would never have voluntarily allowed herself to be flanked, but in this case, she was prety sure her companions would have her back. they were turning out to be good teammates, working together well for a common goal. And, she had to admit, she was beginning to like them...a lot. Even the fierce Astera, with her fangs and claws almost always dripping with blood.

Enough of the mental webble, girl! There's a fight going on. She pulled her sword around in a low arc, aiming for the legs of the hobgoblin to her left, then spinning to try and block any further blows from the one on the right.

5' to -4/-AH, PA the hobgob at -5/-AH

attack [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

VonDoom
2011-08-24, 12:36 PM
"Now!", Roshan yelled, as he let go of his Eidolon's shoulder. She immediately reacted, darting forward -- claws at the ready, teeth bared, as she finally met another humanoid foe. While the Eidolon wasn't particularly easy to disgust, she would at least be rid of the vile aftertaste of the Vargouille once goblinoid blood would flow freely.

Astera charges to -AG--4 and attacks the Hobgoblin on -AH-5 using Power Attack -1/+3. If Lisane's opponent was felled by her blow, she'll attack the remaining Hobgoblin instead.
Bite: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]
AC 15 (temp. due to charge). Current HP: 9.

With Astera once again rushing into combat, her Summoner remained standing where he was, turning towards Arwen. A brief gesture, a few muttered words, and the Cheliaxian briefly touched the elf on his shoulder, providing a little bit of magic to make sure he would strike true when he fired his bow again.

Roshan casts Guidance on Arwen.

Airanath
2011-08-24, 01:01 PM
Arwen glances around, and knows there is not a single good angle for his bow in this corridor, not unless he wants to shot his allies on the back as they offer cover for his foes at this moment, he decides its on his best interest to charge into the room, so he can fight at all.
Double move to -AK, 0
Acrobatics to avoid AoO: [roll0]
Since I am not moving at half speed the DC increases by 10.

Firebeard
2011-08-24, 01:26 PM
Arwen's rush into the room opens him up to a pair of strikes from the embattled hobgoblins. One misses completely as the agile elf dodged, but the other caught him heavily on the side, tearing skin and muscle. The elf cried out in pain as the blow nearly dropped him to his knees. He stumbled into the room and leaned against one of the rotting tables for support.

Lisane pushed her way between the two, sword flying as she held them off, but was unable to get a clear strike in. Neither was Astera, who leaped forward the moment Lisane had cleared the way, biting at the one using the wall's corner as cover. Arthur, on the other hand, had more luck. The oracle's morningstar rang loudly against his opponent's pot helm, crushing the hobgoblin's face and shoulder with the force of the blow.

The hobgoblins returned the blows, however feebly, one each striking at Lisane and Arthur.

From the shaft in the room's ceiling a rope dropped into view. A moment later another hobgoblin slid down the rope into view. It took in the battle all around it. Then, seeing a sorely wounded Arwen, it drew its sword and began to advance on the elf.

Arwen took 7 damage from the AoO (ouch).

Lisane took 8 damage.

Round 2 initiatives:

hobgoblins 20
Arwen 16
Roshan 15
Lisane 10
Astera 9
Arthur 5

Here's the map. (http://bradgrinstead.com/Pathfinders/tor3b.png)

Fuzzies
2011-08-24, 01:49 PM
The pain was greater than Lisane had ever felt before. How could she have missed that block? A wave of darkness passed over her and she growled it away I don't have time for this! My friends are in trouble! Aloud, she said "Arthur, get yours down so Astera can get to Arwen! Astera, help Arwen - keep him alive!"

She didn't pause in her footwork to see if the others had done as she asked. She simply continued to move around the hobgoblin, feinting and thrusting until she finally saw an opening in its defenses.

5' step to -5/-AI and PA the hobgoblin again
attack 1d20+5 [15], as rolled in the OOC
damage [roll0]

stack
2011-08-24, 02:13 PM
He didn't drop? Why is he still standing? Bloody tough. "Arwen, let me finish this one, I can heal you after."

Arthur jerks the spikes of his weapon free of the perforated helm, repeating the downward blow, hoping to finish the matter.

attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]
If the hobgoblin drops, Arthus will move to -AM -3 to stand between the newcomer and Arwen.

Airanath
2011-08-24, 06:51 PM
Arwen grinds his teeth holding back the pain. And gets himself up, using the table to brace himself, he takes his bow out and draws it, firing a shot at the creature who just hit him.

Swift Action: Spend a point from the arcane pool for enhacing the bow.
Move Action: Draw the bow that wasn't in his hands yet
Standard Action: Shot the Hobgoblin.
Attack roll: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

"Heh. Right... back... at... you... ugly... fool.." He says as he shots

VonDoom
2011-08-25, 02:37 AM
Astera did as she had been told, interposing herself between the third Hobgoblin assailant and the wounded elf; a dangerous growl escaped her throat as she pulled her right hand back, indicating that she would claw the poor goblinoid, but then suddenly opened her mouth wide and snapped right at the monstrous warrior's throat!

Lisane would soon find a comforting hand supporting her, as Roshan had caught up with the two of them and was trying to steady the half-elf after having seen her suffer such a powerful blow. "Careful," the Cheliaxian noted. And as he did, the man muttered a few words, causing a comforting jolt of arcane energy to leap into her, guiding the ranger's hand to strike more surely when next she attacked.

Astera: Move Action to -AM-3. Standard Action: Attack Hobgoblin on -AN-3, using Power Attack -1/+3. No feint, just a little variety to 'she bites him'.
Bite: [roll0], damage [roll1]

In case an AoO is provoked:
Bite: [roll2], damage [roll3]

Roshan: Move Action to -AG-4. Standard Action: Cast Guidance on Lisane.

Firebeard
2011-08-25, 07:32 AM
Lisane's bladework increased in tempo until the hobgoblin could no longer keep up, Finally it blocked left as Lisane's sword went right. the heavy blade ripped into the gray skinned creature's throat and tore through. The monster collapsed in a heap against the wall.

Arthuer's waving morningstar held his foes attention, the hobgoblin wary of the spiked mace now. It watched as Arthur waved it about, easily dodging the oracle's one serious blow. A look of puzzlement crept across its face as it felt a sharp pain in its back. It died with Arwen's arrow jutting from its spine still wondering how the morningstar had gotten behind it.

Astera took advantage of the opening created by the two dead creatures to charge forward at the hobgoblin that had just dropped into the room. Leaping at the creature, her teeth flashed and ripped a chunk out of its neck and shoulder. The hobgoblin staggered back, hand clutching the wound, and swung its sword at the eidolon, who blocked the blade contemptuously with a forearm.

2 dead, one seriously injured.

Round 3 initiatives:

hobgoblins 20
Arwen 16
Roshan 15
Lisane 10
Astera 9
Arthur 5

Here's the map. (http://bradgrinstead.com/Pathfinders/tor3c.png)

@Lisane, Roshan, and Arwen

Behind the beleaguered hobgoblin, you can see the rope begin to swing wildly back and forth. It appears that you are about to have another visitor.

Airanath
2011-08-25, 07:52 AM
Arwen winces in pain, try as he might, it will soon overcome him, but he can still fight.
"Another... from... above" he tries and warns his friends while he is still concious.
His mind dancing a bit from blood loss and his focus wavering, he tries to aim to the still standing goblinoid, all his movements seeming slow, the world covered by some kind of good restraining him, but he fights it, and shots at the goblin.
He then staggers to the closest wall, so that he can brace himself against it and fight, or, at the very least, take a breath and stay on his feet.

Attacking the hobgoblin fighting Astera and then 5feet stepping to the wall.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

stack
2011-08-25, 08:10 AM
Hearing Arwen's warning, Arthur gingerly steps over the bleeding heap that was his target, then steps forward to support Astera, readying against anything that may come. Hmm, best not block Arwen's shot. Again. "Can you see how many?"

Move to -AL -2, ready an action to attack anything in range.

VonDoom
2011-08-25, 08:22 AM
"Who cares? Only one of them can fit through there at a time and if they're dumb enough to do that while we're ready for them -- well, tough luck." Roshan noted, obviously not particularly concerned with the lives of these goblinoids, moving closer to Astera, to grant her the benefit of the same spell he had previously placed on Lisane.

The Eidolon, meanwhile, pushed her advantage, even as she felt the tingle of her Summoner's spell on her back, slashing and biting wildly at the monstrous warrior before her.

Roshan: Move to -AL-3. Cast Guidance on Astera.
Astera: Full-attack, no power attack this time.
Bite, using Guidance: [roll0], damage [roll1]
Claw: [roll2], damage [roll3]
Claw: [roll4], damage [roll5]

AoO if one of the Hobbies indeed comes climbing down:
Bite: [roll6], damage [roll7]

Fuzzies
2011-08-25, 08:45 AM
Lisane walked to the base of the hole where the rope was thrashing back and forth. She cleaned Alrathien and carefully readied herself for an upwards blow before taking up a watchful position below the shaft. She shifted slightly to avoid the worst of the rain filtering down from above.

Move to -4/-AO, ready an action to attack the first enemy to come down the rope.

[roll0], with PA
damage: [roll1], with PA

AoO [roll2], with PA
damage: [roll3], with PA

Firebeard
2011-08-25, 09:26 AM
Arwen's arrow lances into the remaining hobgoblin just as Astera reaches for the creature. Between them, the hobgoblin ends up well and truly dead. From the shaft above, you hear a guttural voice calling out "Greshk? Krent? Vaga bonh guirnat kavan?" The rope continues to shake, but a little more slowly now. It only takes a few more seconds for the feet of the creature to dangle from the bottom of the shaft. The hobgoblin, for that is what it was, came down into the room a few feet, then froze at it saw you all standing around the base of the shaft.

Lisane's blade flashed upward as the creature began to madly climb the rope back into the shaft. Her curveblade sliced deeply into the creature's legs, and it fell to the floor. A swipe of Astera's claws sent the monster to its quiet death. You stand around the shaft, waiting to see if another hobgoblin would descend, but after a few minutes of still quiet, broken only by the splashing of rainwater in the pool on the floor, you decide that the fight is finally over.

200 xp to everyone for a hard fight.

Airanath
2011-08-25, 09:35 AM
Arwen slowly sits down, using the wall as support to avoid outright falling, he takes the chance t breath and close his eyes and rest for a second.
"Guess we made it, the guild will hopefully be glad to hear about those marauders, because I am sure I won't." He says between breaths, and finishes with a pained laughter.

stack
2011-08-25, 09:47 AM
"Is that all of them?" Arthur looks dubiously up the hole before stepping back.

"I only have a little more healing available. I think I should heal Lisane, Arwen can keep his bow ready."

CLW on Lisane, unless anyone objects [roll0]

"There is still one more door off the main chamber, in addition to seeing what's above. My magic is mostly spent though, which leaves us with little ability to heal. I see three options:
Rest here, preferably in a room that we can either defend or flee from if anything happens.
Go to town and rest there.
Or head back and report our findings.

"I would like to finish exploring. The main room should serve as a resting place, out of the weather but near the outside if we have to withdraw. In the morning we can heal-up and finish here. I don't fancy getting ambushed on the road again if we travel."

VonDoom
2011-08-25, 09:58 AM
"Listen, healer-boy, I'm all for treating a lady the way she deserves, but I'm pretty sure our good elf here might keel over at any moment," Roshan, indeed, objected. "And I say we try and climb up there, it's probably whatever those mongrels used as their hiding hole."

Sorry about crappy post, writing on my cellphone.

Fuzzies
2011-08-25, 10:00 AM
"I wonder what those four were doing down here? And how long ago they learned of this place? And are there any more that will be coming later? too many questions." She wondered these things aloud while searching the hobgoblins for anything of use. The bodies were filthy and soaked with rain - of course, I doubt we look any better - but still might have somethign useful on them. Something that might help them survuve the night.

At Arthur's words about healing, she looked up guiltily. "Arwen is hurt much worse than I am. Perhaps he should receive your healing touch. I don't want to be greedy. You've already gotten me once today" she said with a sick smile.

"As for what to do now, perhaps with a little healing we can continue on? It is risky, especially if we run into another batch like that, but it may be safer in the long term. Those doors in the outer room were closed until we got here. It might be that there was something being kept behind them. or maybe they were just closed behind the last person out. who knows? I am willing to press on, or to rest in the main chamber for the night. but, if we continue, I think I will need that healing more than Arwen after all." She smiled apologetically at the magus.

Loot whoring commencing :smallyuk:

Edit: ninja'd.

Fuzzies
2011-08-25, 10:03 AM
"You really think so Roshan? I'd imagine with all the rain pouring down it that it probably just leads to a drain hole or something in the ruins above. I mean, it doesn't seem as if the water is sluicing down a drain, but rather falling straight down the shaft."

Guess made on the description Firebeard gave of rain dripping down> i'd imagine that anything other than a straight shaft would have a "stream" of water, not just drops.

Airanath
2011-08-25, 10:05 AM
"I can take it for a bit longer Roshan, just need to stanch the wound, and probably to drench it in wine to avoid infection. I would sure do well if we could rest for a while, maybe barricade ourselves in the Vargourille room? This table may be rotten, but could be used to barricade the place somewhat." Arwen states.
"I promise I won't be trying to do this again anytime soon. Might have to ask to clear a path if we have any other skirmishes at a corridor."

stack
2011-08-25, 10:08 AM
After laying his hands on the wounded he looks up the hole again. "Well, if we are going up the rope, let me go first to look around. Despite my best efforts I'm unhurt. I'll scream and fall if I see anything." He gives a little smile, before once again levitating the glowing rock and sending it up the shaft to see what he can see.

I think the debate on the healing is still open, so I'll let the bleeders decide. Ninja'd, I guess it goes to Lisane then.

Firebeard
2011-08-25, 10:29 AM
While the companions discussed their next move, Lisane continued to expertly field strip the dead, recovering anything of potential use and setting it aside before hauling the bodies off into one corner of the room. As she was doing so, she sat back in astonishment. Among the low quality weapons and tattered armor was a small glass vial containing a light blue liquid. When she hesitantly pulled the cork and sniffed, she got a distinct smell of raspberries. Holding it aloft, she held it out to Arthur for examination, saying "is this what I think it is?"

I didn't do it! It came up on the random treasure generator, I swear.

Loot list:

2 really low quality longswords
1 badly cared for shortbow
2 rusty daggers
4 useless studded leather armors
6g in cash
vial containing a light blue liquid smelling of raspberries

stack
2011-08-25, 11:06 AM
Arthur takes the vial in hand, holding it up to the light for closer inspection. "Hmm, let me see..." He whispers and waves his hand as he studies it. The untended stone falls down the shaft, narrowly missing his head as it falls.

cast detect magic
knowledge arcana to identify school untrained, knowledge vs dc 15 is a no go, spellcraft is untrained as well

"I'm afraid I can't help. This falls a bit outside of my skills. Perhaps Arwen would have more luck?"

We should clean those weapons up before we sell them. Let me see about that armor.

cast mending on the armor, if it helps. Will try to sharpen the knifes and make them presentable when we rest.

Airanath
2011-08-25, 02:24 PM
"I'll try and give it a look if you wish" Arwen stands and offers, after recovering his breath.
He then mutters the words of the spell, attuning his eyes to the flow of magical energies and proceeds to study the potion.
Knowledge Arcana:[roll0]
Spellcraft: [roll1]

Firebeard
2011-08-25, 04:10 PM
@Arwen

You immediately identify the potion as a Cure Light Wounds potion.

Airanath
2011-08-25, 06:52 PM
After a few momments Arwen chuckles.
"Seems our assailants were carrying some healing provisions of their own. This potion is able to heal some wounds from those who take it.

stack
2011-08-25, 08:57 PM
"Perhaps you should hold at least one of them. We should wait to use them though. Quite valuable, most potions. If I can heal you tomorrow for free, why waste them? Thou you should keep them at hand, if anything happens tonight." A ring AND potions! I didn't expect to find this much.

He looks about. "You know, if we started a fire in this room, we would have a vent. Be nice to dry out even if we can't get clean."

Airanath
2011-08-25, 09:31 PM
"Hold on to it, I could faint anytime, and great good it would make me to be holding on something that can save someone's life then." Arwen states the obvious and hands the potion to Arthur.
"Yeah, that plan makes sense too, we even have some wood to burn, even if somewhat rotten."

VonDoom
2011-08-26, 02:01 AM
"I'm not really sure," the man replied to Lisane, "but it seems as good a guess as any. I'd think the hole leads up to another room, but I could be wrong -- maybe we barged in on those things returning from another raid and that was their means of getting inside." He shrugged.

Upon hearing Arthur and Arwen's conversation, the Cheliaxian's expression was rather incredulous. "What's wrong with you two senseless, blubbering ... dolts!" The Cheliaxian cursed, getting angry. "If I was that hurt, I'd be drinking that potion in a heartbeat. What's the use of money, or a pat on the head for finding a nice potion by that buffoon of an instructor if you're spending the night with a wound the size of a fist in your gut?"

Roshan shook his head repeatedly, turning away in disbelief. "Drink the blasted thing, I'll forfeit whatever we get for that magic ring to make up for it. Can't see a poor fool suffer." The Summoner crossed his arms in front of his chest, looking rather huffy.

stack
2011-08-26, 08:26 AM
"Well, if he wants to I won't object. Just thought...anyway, no need to start giving up shares. Go ahead if you want." If I had more power, it wouldn't be needed anyway. Wish I could do more.

"Shall I try climbing the rope, or should we wait?"

Fuzzies
2011-08-26, 09:24 AM
"Here, let's do it this way. I'll take the healing spell you have prepared, and Arwen can take the potion. That was, no matter what we decide, there will be a good chance that all of us will survive...and Aren really deosn't look so good. That sword wound was terrible."

"Climb, move on, or go back? those are our only options. I would rather keep going, but if this place is infested with hobgoblins, that might make all of our choices difficult."

"If we are staying here, though, and having a fire, i want to movet hose bodies back into the rat room. I'm not staring at them all night while trying to ignore the water dripping"

stack
2011-08-26, 09:31 AM
"Good idea. I'll help drag them out. I brought a flint and steel, if we need them. Anyone experienced at starting fires?" He looks around, feeling slightly sheepish that he brought the tools but not the skills to execute his suggestion.

"I vote for resting."

Airanath
2011-08-26, 09:38 AM
"Well, if you guys insist, I'll take this potion then." Arwen says as he drinks the potion, giving an apologetic look to Arthur.
CLW potion: [roll0]

"Seeing that there is water dripping down, and they were climbing down ropes and somewhat wet, either those gobs came from outside to look for shelter, or they tracked us here..." he points out, as he feels his flesh kniting back together from the magic of the potion.

"But indeed, lets move the dead out and light those tables, we can look around a bit more in the morrow, this storm doesn't seem it will pass soon, waiting around might be best before returning. I feel strong enough to take the first guard turn if you wish."

Fuzzies
2011-08-26, 10:28 AM
Lisane helps drag the hobgoblin corpses down the long hallway and into the rat room, dumping them in front of where the rat lair exit was. Then, she moved back into the room with the others and uses the throwing axe she got from the hobgoblin on the trail to start chopping up one of the tables. The rotten, damp wood was solid and dry int he center - as she knew it would be - and soon she had enough kindling and small pieces to get a decent fire going. Taking her flint and steel from her pack, she held it over a small pile of dry shavings. It took her a few tries, but eventually she got the curls of wood to take flame. She scooped the shavings into the small tent of kindling and soon had a small fire going.

Surely taking 10 for a 15 survival is enough to get a fire going?

Firebeard
2011-08-27, 08:41 AM
I am going to assume that with the fire going you guys are planning on staying here for the night.

The fire is soon blazing merrily away, driving away the chill that has lingered with your damp clothes. Camp food is brought out of packs, and you each share willingly, making the best of the situation. After an hour or so, your clothes are sufficiently dry for the mud on the to start cracking and flaking off around you. It isn't exactly the most comfortable you've ever been, but that's the life of an adventurer.

You divide the watches between you, and by common consensus Arwen takes first watch. The night passes fairly uneventfully, with the dripping of rainwater into the pool and the crackling of the fire the only noises through most of the night. During the third watch Roshan hears what he thinks are squeaks - the sound of the rats moving back in out of the rain maybe? Then, he realizes that the only reason he can hear the squeaks is that the near incessant dripping of rainwater into the pool has finally...cessed?

The usable wood from the tables lasts the night through. Careful rationing on Arwen's part during the last hours before dawn left 3 good-sized planks unburnt when the room began to lighten. The soft gray glow of daylight filtered into the chamber from the hole above.

stack
2011-08-27, 09:30 AM
Arthur wakes, stretching stiffly. Hadn't considered the effects of sleeping in the field. Maybe go to town next time.

As he gathers and dons his gear, he talks with the others. "So, send someone up the rope before checking the last door? I would like to take a look around the old tor above as well, if we can."

He hefts his pack, "Oh, does anyone need healing still?"

Airanath
2011-08-27, 11:15 AM
"I still feel a sting on my side, but it should be all right soon, mostly its dificulty of turning, but its always this way after magical healing, takes a bit of time for the muscle to work properly." Arwen replies.
He replies without taking his eyes from his spellbook, as he pratices the words and a few harder spell gestures commiting them to mind.
Preparing spells during the morning, all the same except for Light, swapping it for the swiss army knife, I mean, Prestidigitation.

"Since we got some wood left, we could make a torch for light the way for a while, saves some magic, and might scare away any rats if they are still around. Animals fear fire like in books right?" he asks pondering, "I also didn't prepare light for today, got a spell that can help cleaning the hobgoblins gear." He says as he cleans the mud and blood from his armor.

Fuzzies
2011-08-27, 08:59 PM
Lisane stretched and readied herself for a new day as the magic users in the party all prepared their spells and went about their morning rituals. The gash where the hobgoblin had hit her had healed over a bit, between the magical healing and the night's reast, but it still ached when she moved too quickly. Gonna have to watch that for a while. she thought. Aloud she said to Arthur, "I think I can manage just fine for now, as long as I am careful. I'd rather save your healing for another nasty fight like the one yesterday, or if someone gets crushed by debris while we are exploring the tor."

"As for where we go, I'd like to see about finishin up down here before we ascend the rope. The daylight coming down suggests the shaft opens to the air outside, and might make for a decent escape route. I'm kind of surprised nothing interrupted us int eh night, and I am sure that if there were more hobgoblins around, they wouldn't have left us in peace."

"Torches might be a good idea. I have some in my pack, but we might as well conserve our gear. These bits of planking won't burn as bright or as long as a standard torch,but they should do the job."

VonDoom
2011-08-28, 06:22 AM
A lazy yawn accompanied that last statement, as Roshan and Astera finally rose from their little makeshift resting place, that had mostly consisted of the Cheliaxian taking off his coat and using it as a blanket for them both. The man looked rather unhappy as he once more donned his coat, briefly brushing some dirt out of his long black hair.

"Honestly, I don't really care which direction we take first," he noted. "But if we're already down here, we might as well look around first before we head up."

stack
2011-08-28, 12:06 PM
"Sounds like a plan. If we are all ready, let's get to it." Arthus re-ignites the faithful glowing stone, keeping it at his maximum reach, morningstar and shield in hand.

He muses as he starts to head back to the large chamber, Did I spell vargouille right in the journal? Have to have the others proof it before I turn it in. Can't let an embarrassing mistake mar such a successful (minus the blood loss) outing.

Firebeard
2011-08-28, 01:16 PM
Gathering your gear, you set off up the northern hallway, Lisane in the lead. Skipping all pretense of stealth, Arthur floats his light ahead of you down the hallway, and your weapons are readied. Given the event of the previous day, it just seems to be the best choice.

About 40 feet ahead, another passage meets this one from the right. About 15 feet beyond that intersection is a wooden door with a barred opening near the top. Lisane strained to see down the right hallway, but the hallway outpaced the light, and the stone walls faded to dimness, then to dark.

@fuzzies
make me a Survival check

@everyone
Right, down the darkened hall? Or straight ahead to the door?

stack
2011-08-28, 01:43 PM
"Two choices. Perhaps we should send the light down the hallway to make sure nothing is lurking there, then open the door. The barred windows suggest it may be a cell or other small room, which would be quick to explore, though likely uninteresting. Must be thorough." He shrugs and waits for a consensus.

Fuzzies
2011-08-28, 02:27 PM
"Good thinking Arthur. Float that light down the corridor as far as you can." Lisane stepped to the center of the intersection and readied her sword for combat. She quickly checked over her shoulder at the wooden door behind her to make sure nothing was staring back at her, then watched past the light intot he tunnel beyond. Glancing down, she tried to sort out whether anything had passed through here recently. Maybe the hobgoblins had friends back here?

Perception [roll0]
Survival [roll1], +1 more if it is for tracking purposes

Airanath
2011-08-28, 07:42 PM
"I am fine with either side, we were checking the whole place anyway, right? Just hope we can get over it soon, I am getting an eerie feeling, we should get away from here soon, maybe those hobgobs will come haunt us? I don't think we offered them a prayer or anything." Arwen voices his fears and opnions, holding back the most of it from his voice.

VonDoom
2011-08-29, 06:37 AM
"Oh, please," Roshan sighed as he heard Arwen speak, while he idly fiddled with the hem of his shirt. "Those hobgoblins wouldn't know how to haunt someone to save their life!" A brief frown crossed his face as he realized what he had just said, followed by a faint chuckle.

"Well, anyway, I think you're safe, Arwen," he continued. "Except maybe from nightmares, if it's such a burden for you to see them dead. Might want to reconsider this way of living, though -- I daresay we'll have various monsters after our life that will need killing as Pathfinders." His expression didn't exactly make it clear if he was serious or kidding, but the Summoner clearly didn't think much of the idea of praying for, or even burying, murderous goblinoids. He certainly hadn't helped with the last two when their group had given them the proper rites.

Firebeard
2011-08-29, 11:44 AM
The lit stone floated down the corridor, showing a long hallway. Near the edge of the light, Lisane could dimly make out some kind of debris half-occluding the hall. The walls were thick with cobwebs and grime, but the ranger saw no trace of tracks on the dusty floor.

Stepping up the original hall, she came to the barred door and peered in through the opening. A long, stone table dominates the center of the room. The light filtering in through the bars showed highlights of gold on the table, which appears to be carved in detailed decorations, many of which have been broken off. Behind the table, Lisane can see the legs of a humanoid creature, one of which has no boot. The exposed flesh is dessicated and ripped in places, an obvious sign that the tenant has been dead for some time.

The room itself is about 30 feet deep, and extends beyond Lisane's vision to either side. It is obviously a fairly large chamber, with the possibility to passage leading from it out of sight from the door's small window.

stack
2011-08-29, 12:08 PM
"Well Lisane, do we go in?" Arthur brings the stone back and sends it floating through the bars of the room to better illuminate matters.

Fuzzies
2011-08-29, 12:20 PM
Lisane replied in a low voice, "Let's see if we can get the door open." She bent to examine the door latch to determine if it was trapped or locked. then, once she was satisfied that the door was safe to open, she tried to open it - quietly at first.

Perception on the door [roll0]

Firebeard
2011-08-29, 12:30 PM
Lisane looked the door over carefully, but there was no sign of any traps that she could see. She also found no latch or hinges on this side of the door, only an iron handle, an indication that it was either completely unlocked or barred from the inside. The latter seemed to be the likely case when she pushed on the handle and the door did not budge.

Looks like it's not opening the easy way.

stack
2011-08-29, 12:36 PM
"Well, we could all give it a push." Arthur sets his should, ready to give it his best shove once the others where in position.

aid another strength check for whomever is strongest

[roll0]

Fuzzies
2011-08-29, 12:39 PM
"Oh sure, it's never easy," grumbles Lisane as she takes a few steps back. With a grunt of effort, she runs forward, leaning into the blow to allow her entire frame to absorb the impact. She hits the door just beside Arthur, who is throwing his entire effort into opening the door as well.

strength check [roll0]

Fuzzies
2011-08-29, 12:40 PM
Stunned for a moment at the effort, she stepped back to do it again.

Seriously? Grr... [roll0]

edit: can I take 10?

Firebeard
2011-08-29, 01:00 PM
Lisane slams into the door again and again, trying to force it with sheer power with Arthur lending a hand. Finally, after repeated attempts, the rotten locking bar gives way and sends the ranger tumbling into the room. Lisane's head is spinning from the blows against the door, and she stumbles slightly.

Lisane takes [roll0] nonlethal damage and must pass a DC10 fort save or be dazed for 1 round.

speaking of rounds...

With a loud moan, an enormous form rose from behind the stone table. Its head seemed to nearly brush the ceiling as it stood, it's tusked face ravaged by decay and vermin. The moan rattled out again and you can see that the figure holds a massive morningstar in two hands, and a polearm of some sort lays against the far wall. Again the moan sounded and the monster began to advance from behind the stone table.

Initiative rolls...

Roshan [roll1]
Arwen [roll2]
Arthur [roll3]
Lisane [roll4]
monster [roll5]

Round 1 initiatives:

Lisane 22
Arwen 14
Roshan 14
monster 4
Arthur 2

Here is the map. (http://bradgrinstead.com/Pathfinders/tor4a.png)

Fuzzies
2011-08-29, 01:14 PM
Lisane's head reeled from the attemtps to open the door as she staggered a bit. Then the moans sounded and she looked up...and up. The beast in front of her had the nastiest weapon she had ever seen, and the face to go with it. Bracing herself, she gripped Alrathien's hilt and with one swift motion pulled it from her baldric as she charged forth. There was nothing more to do, no more decisions to make. This was defense through offense, a strategy her trainers had instilled in her from an early age.

Charge to -BD/-4 and rip the snot out of the thing.

swing [roll0], pa
damage [roll1]

Airanath
2011-08-29, 04:00 PM
The creaking of the rotten wood had Arwen on his toes, when the moan came his bow was in hand before he even saw the creature, even more, because he first turned around, scared the monster was coming from behind.
When he finally turns around, bow in hands and arrow already notched, he sees the fight starting and takes his shot, aiming for the creature's head, before even taking a proper glimpse at his foe.
Move Action: Draw Bow
Standard: Shot at the Corpse-thing with the Longbow
Attack Roll: (1d20+4)[22]
Damage Roll: (1d8)[5]
PS: Delaying untill Astera gets in melee
(rolled on the OOC due to the edits)

VonDoom
2011-08-30, 01:53 PM
Roshan's eyes widened as the enormous undead creature rose before them, his disgust apparent on his face. The occasionally blood-soaked form of his Eidolon didn't seem to bother him at all, but this putrid thing clearly did. "A-astera," he stuttered, somehow still managing to put a bit of bravado in his voice despite his obvious reservations, "if you bite that thing, so help me, I won't go near you until we get back home and you get cleaned up properly."

Then, a quick gesture and a touch later, he had placed magical protections upon the fiendish fighter and she was all ready to leap into combat -- only to remember what her Summoner had said before. Shuddering briefly, rather than just straight-up dashing and tearing at the creature, she actually approached carefully, trying to stay out of its reach, watching for any signs on when and how it would attack.

Roshan stays where he is. Standard Action: Cast Mage Armor on Astera.

Astera: Standard Action: Total Defense, AC+4 (21) for one round. Move Action: Move to -BF-3, trying to stay out of the monster's range as she moves.

Firebeard
2011-08-30, 08:18 PM
The thing howled in pain and fury as Lisane's sword slammed into it, leaving a huge gash in the dessicated skin. The howl became a roar when Arwen's arrow slammed into it a moment later. It struck out in blind anger and hatred at the elf as she prepared her defense, completely ignoring Astera as the eidolon slipped up behind it. Lisane turned the clumsy blow easily and readied her attack.

Sorry, I can't find my thumbdrive with the map on it anywhere. I must have left it at home. Just remember your positions from the previous posts and we'll wing it until I get home.

Now everyone can go and it is Round 2 .

stack
2011-08-30, 08:39 PM
Arthur, again slow to react, stepped forward after the creature struck at Lisane, raising his morningstar to strike. This thing...what is it?

move to adjacent space,
attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

knowledge religion [roll2] untrained

Fuzzies
2011-08-30, 08:57 PM
Lisane stepped tot he side, avoiding the creature's blow, then hammered back at it with a strike of her own. She slammed the blade home, and felt it hit with a solid thunk, belying the thing's withered appearance. She twisted the blade as she ripped it free, trying to do the maximum amount of damage.

5' step to the left, flanking with Astera.

attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

VonDoom
2011-08-31, 04:51 AM
Once again, Roshan hung back, content to provide some assistance to those with greater prowess in combat than he. He formed the necessary syllables and made the arcane gestures to provide some magical guidance to the elf right at his side. Better that his far more deadly arrows hit the creature than yet another bolt from his crossbow hitting the wall behind the monster.

Astera actually heeded Roshan's plea, this time not biting the huge monstrosity before her. Rather, she attempted to bury her claws deep within the grey, putrid flesh, slashing again and again as if she were a cat using her scratchpost.

Astera: 5' step of flanking can't be accomplished by Lisane's movement alone. Full attack, power attack -1/+3, flanking bonus+2
Claw: [roll0], damage [roll1]
Claw: [roll2], damage [roll3]

Roshan: Standard Action: Cast Guidance on Arwen.

Firebeard
2011-09-02, 07:18 AM
That the creature was undead was obvious to everyone, but Arthur recognized it as a zombie. One made from a bugbear, given the size of the hulking brute. He called out the information to the others as Lisane and Astera began to circle the creature. Arwen's bow glowed strangely as a spell cast from Roshan augmented its aim, and the distraction threw the archer's aim off. The arrow flew wildly astray as the two females engaged in melee attacked in concert.

A sweeping slash from Lisane cut the monster across the chest from left to right, driving deep into the decayed flesh and snapping brittle bones. The power of the blow spun the thing around to face Astera. The eidolon's claws ripped into the zombie's throat with a crossing slash maneuver and the head practically leaped from its place on the monsters sneck...or what remained of the neck, anyways.

The necromantic magics that had held the zombie to a semblance of life unraveled in a moment, and the body - once again a corpse - fell to the ground.

You guys ripped that thing apart. 150XP to everyone!

Should you care to search the body, you find

MW morningstar
2 small blue gems
165g in coins

On the bier that occupied the center of the room are runes chiseled in very shaky writing.

If you speak goblin

Here lies Ugblarth, Dark Knight. Woe to he that disturbs this resting place. The dead guard their own.

stack
2011-09-02, 08:41 AM
"As loathe as I am to touch that thing more than necessary, I suppose we ought to search it." Pausing, he continues, "Maybe I will go back and bless the other corpses when we are finished. Maybe we can raise a small cairn of loose stone. To be proper."

Proceeding with the search, If only this morningstar wasn't so BIG.

what about the polearm you mentioned in the room? I'm assuming the morningstar is large-sized.

Airanath
2011-09-02, 10:03 AM
"Might be a good idea, I don't want to have to kill everything twice over... I think we should place him back on the table, maybe that is why he awoke, he wasn't on his rest place." Arwen gives Roshan a look that pratically says: I told you.

Firebeard
2011-09-03, 06:55 AM
Looking at the morningstar, Arthur could see that it was big and heavy, but he could wield it easily enough. The spikes were far larger than any he had seen before, and though the weapon was aged it looked in very good condition. The polearm laying against the wall was a glance with dark sigils carved into the blade. It too was sized for a big humanoid, but not quite big enough for a giant.

The morningstar and glaive are both medium sized weapons, but are Heavy. Heavy weapons add +1 to their damage rolls, providing the wielded has a Strength bonus of at least +1. The morningstar also has Large Spikes, which add +1 to the attack roll.

stack
2011-09-03, 07:13 AM
"On second thought..." Arthur hefts the weapon carefully. "Maybe I could. Be a shame to just sell such a weapon."

unless anyone else objects, I'm claiming this one. Does the +1 attack stack with the masterwork?

Airanath
2011-09-03, 10:15 AM
"Fair enough by me, it does look a nice weapon, a nice day on the forge and it'll be brand new without all that rust. I don't really have an use for the polearm, but I will carry it untill we get back to base to sell it, we should buy a pack mule intead of having Lisane carry everything."

Fuzzies
2011-09-03, 03:04 PM
Lisane flashed a grin at Arwen and said, "I'm so glad you aren't lumping me in with the pack mules. I'd like to think I am slightly more useful than that. As for the undead here, I doubt it will rise again. Astera did a wonderful job on it. From what I recall of the undead, once you've dispatched them they rarely rise again. Still, if you want to try and apease it's spirit, I'm not going to tell you no. "

VonDoom
2011-09-05, 02:10 AM
"Well, that was disgusting," Roshan commented as the creature had fallen. "And no, I'm fairly sure they had a necromancer of some sort -- I mean, wouldn't their spirits be more angry if you bless them in the name of one of our gods, rather than their Magl ... Mag ... whatever that monster goddess is called!"

He sighed, adjusting his cloak while nodding towards Arwen. "I have a mule," he noted. "I didn't expect we'd be needing it, so I left the stubborn thing at home."

Astera, meanwhile, seemed to be studying Lisane closely. They certainly had fought well together. Maybe the fiend-creature was warming up to her?

stack
2011-09-05, 03:26 PM
"Would it be wise to stack our excess...findings near the entrance? I will certainly carry my share when we depart, but if there is anything else in here that wants to fight us I would rather be unencumbered." He looks at the numerous sets of leather armor and the now extraneous weapon he had departed with.

afterwords he'll want to see about passing the rubble in the hall.

Fuzzies
2011-09-05, 06:24 PM
"There's no sense in overencumbering ourselves until we are on our way out. If you want to drop the excess int eh hall before we go down that way, I certainly don't have a problem with it. Arma and armor sell well, but our lives are priceless. No sense endangering the one for the other." Lisane thought about that atement and their current line of work for a moment. "Well, not excessively anyways."

Once they were settled on the matter, she joined Arthur and began to head down the long hallway they had skipped past.

Firebeard
2011-09-06, 08:04 AM
Gear stowed at the entrance, Lisane and Arthur stalked down the rubble strewn hallway. Cobwebs brushed against them from the sides of the darkened corridor, and they were forced to stop once or twice and clear the sticky strands from their faces. Arthur's floating light was held aloft ahead, at the edge of the rubble pile. With the light so close to it now, it was clear that there was a path around the rubble. The rubble pile did not look fresh. It clearly had fallen in long before last night's storm.

Moving up to the rubble, you can see that there is a tight passage you can squirm through, though the going would be difficult to do standing. More than likely you would have to crawl o0n hands and knees to navigate it smoothly. beyond the passage is another large room. On the floor of the room are a number of bundles of what look like cloth. There is also a small pile of coins and gems that sparkle merrily in the light of the glowing stone. The cobwebs here are thicker than in the hallway, with a number of thumb- to hand-sized tenants present.

stack
2011-09-06, 09:01 AM
Arthur steps back from the narrow passage, trying not to show his concern. "There are some valuable, but also an abundance of vermin. Perhaps a torch with actual fire would be wise afterall. I don't relish the thought of crawling into the spiders' webs on hands and knees. If they weren't dangerous, they wouldn't have collected such valuables."

Fuzzies
2011-09-06, 12:46 PM
"Yes, I think you are right. There's not been a whole lot of cobwebs anywhere else, that I have noticed. It may be that other, less cautious adventurers were the source of the coins we see? I think I have a torch in my pack, hang on." Lisane rummaged through her pack and came out with a torch and her flint and steel. A swift striking motion had the torch lit, and she thrust it ahead of her into the narrow passage.

VonDoom
2011-09-07, 08:59 AM
"Why would spiders collect coin?" Roshan asked confused from the back, not really quite following the current discussion. "I'd think they were there first and the vermin came later."

The summoner wasn't feeling particularly keen on crawling through that narrow passageway, taking a few steps back when Lisane threw her torch right into the narrow opening, just in case. His eyes briefly darted towards Astera, but didn't say anything further as he turned his attention back to the current object of interest.

stack
2011-09-07, 09:41 AM
Arthur looks at his companions. "So...who should go first. I can...or I could follow and heal whoever goes first, just in case. Either way." Tight spaces and spiders...I hope someone volunteers.

He shifts his feet back and forth, his recently discovered confidence fading slightly in the face of the new challenge.

Fuzzies
2011-09-07, 01:28 PM
Lisane shifted the torch to her right hand and grasped her sword firmly with her left. "all right, I'll take point. Just be ready to come in and support me as necessary. " She slid into the passage with torch out in front of her. The flickering flames reached out their light to illuminate the spiders and their webs.

stack
2011-09-07, 01:35 PM
Arthur follows close behind her, squeezing uncomfortably in the tight space, ready to aid in any way he is able. His shield presses into his back and his new morningstar weights down his hand, making it even more difficult to crawl.

Airanath
2011-09-07, 01:45 PM
Arwen crawls after Lisane and Arthus, his scimitar in hands, in case he needs to cut some of the webs, silently cursing the lack of space to draw his bow.

Firebeard
2011-09-07, 04:31 PM
The flickering torchlight reflected off her many eyes as she crouched in the darkness at the top of the room. It had been a long time wince she had seen that light, but she knew it meant that food had delivered itself to her and her brood once more. It had been too long since last she tasted the juice of a large animal. She and her children had survived on the occasional rat or other small animal trapped in these dark places for too long.

The wiry hairs on her legs stood upright as she tensed. It would not be long now. hunger was slowly driving her mad. She had even considered eating her offspring not too long ago. How fortunate that she had waited. Now there would be enough for all. Her webbing flexed as she prepared to spring, thick strands of coiled silk, sticky with her secretions. She would not need the web though. Her fangs and size had proven effective enough in the past.

There! The movement below showed a creature entering her lair. the time to strike was now!

Lisane caught a glimpse of movement above her, just as the giant multilegged form dropped from above.

Surprise round! Spider and Lisane act simultaneously (congrats on the passive perception check).

Lisane takes 2 damage and needs to make me a fort save, then post her action, then we'll move on to Round 1.

rolling for initiatives...

spider [roll0]
Roshan [roll1]
Arwen [roll2]
Arthur [roll3]
Lisane [roll4]

Round 1 initiatives:

spider 22
Lisane 19
Arthur 17
Roshan 14
Arwen 10

here's the map (http://bradgrinstead.com/Pathfinders/tor5a.png)

Moving through spaces 8,9,10 follows the Squeezing rules.

Fuzzies
2011-09-08, 07:20 AM
Seeing the shape dropping on her from above, Lisane dodges tot he side, though too slowly to avoid the spider's attack. A line of fire raced down her arm as she dropped the torch and slashed up and out att the hairy leggy monster dropping on her from above. "Ware! It's a giant spider" she called as she stepped further into the room to allow her companions to come to her aid.

5' step into the room, drop the torch, attack.

attack[roll0] PA
damage [roll1]

Fort save [roll2]

Firebeard
2011-09-08, 07:37 AM
Lisane's blow glanced off the spider's hard carapace as she dodged to the side. The spider's bite was like fire where it had hit, but the feeling didn't spread and she was pretty sure she hadn't been poisoned. The creature bounced off the floor at her side and lunged at her, but even with its eight legs it hadn't quite gotten its balance yet and the mandibles, dripping poison, went wide.

On to round 1!

Round 1 initiatives:

spider 22
Lisane 19
Arthur 17
Roshan 14
Arwen 10

here is the updated map! (http://bradgrinstead.com/Pathfinders/tor5b.png)

stack
2011-09-08, 07:55 AM
Arthur squeezes himself out of the hole, then wished he hadn't when he saw the giant spider. " Golden scales, that's big!" Let's see how this new morningstar works.

The spiked head barely clear of the tunnel, he twists his hip, sending the heavy weapon in an upward arc, straining to use all his strength for a mighty two-handed blow.

5' step to -AY/11
attack (2 hands) [roll0]
damage [roll1]

AC 17, HP 10

Fuzzies
2011-09-08, 09:19 AM
Lisane stepped again to the side, trying to give Arthur and the others more room to escape the tight passage and enter the spider's lair. She lashed out with Alrathien in an attempt to shear off a few legs, and make the spider less mobile.

5' to 12/-ax
attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Airanath
2011-09-08, 10:16 AM
Arwen tries to move as fast as possible out of the cramped space to help his allies, seeing the position they are in once he goes out he forgoes his chance to attack, knowing the Eidolon is much better than him at this, he drops his scimitar and draws his bow.
Move: -AY 13
Free: Drop scimitar
Standard: Draw Bow

VonDoom
2011-09-08, 03:52 PM
The Summoner wasn't particularly keen on getting close to those huge, poisonous mandibles and rather intelligently opted to stay where he was in line, mumbling a short incantation and once again working to protect his Eidolon's life with magical armor.

The target of his spell, meanwhile, proceeded to crawl forward, clearly annoyed at being so impeded in her movements. Astera apparently wasn't a big fan of tight spaces as she almost shot forth from the narrow opening as if propelled by a spring, aiming for one of the spider's leg with her right hand as she came to a skidding halt.

Roshan: Cast Mage Armor on Astera
Astera: Move to -AY12
Claw the spider: [roll0], damage [roll1]

Firebeard
2011-09-08, 04:36 PM
Lisane's massive blow sheared through three of the beast's hairy legs and dove deeply into its body. Ichor spurted as the creature shuddered, the motion causing it to evade Arthur's weak swing and Astera's claws. The dog-sized body rolled as the legs curled under, twitching. In moments the carcass of the spider was no longer even trembling, the ichor of its blood having slowed to a trickle.

The piles on the floor that had looked like cloth bundles from the passage were seen now to be mummified corpses wrapped in silk. From the look of the silk and the condition of the corpses, these had been here for long years, maybe even decades. Smaller bundles accrued near the other webs, the smaller ones. Bodies of rats, beetles, even a bat were visible. The coins and gems in the middle of the floor were held in place by sticky webbing, and only a few came up easily. The rest required much prying with a dagger to get free.

Congratulations! An easy fight due that that powerful blow by Lisane, and no one got hit by the poison. 100 XP to everyone.

There is 17g in loose coins in the pile and scattered on the floor. You also find 3 small gems, 1 red and 2 yellow.

stack
2011-09-09, 09:04 AM
"That was...unpleasant. I think I prefer hobgoblins. Seem to be a dead end. Shall we remove these bodies for a proper burial? Seems wrong to leave them here. We can stop in the village on our way back and let tell them, perhaps they were locals who went missing." He looks at the web-covered corpses.

"Or maybe they have been here a long time. Either way, won't hurt to let them know. Maybe we should see if there is anything above in the old Tor now? The reports of lights were most likely just the hobgoblins we found, but it could be worth looking in to." He shrugs, glad of all the had found and survived already and expecting getting to the Tor to be a long climb and a boring search.

"Lisane, how bad is your wound?"

Fuzzies
2011-09-09, 09:32 AM
Lisane glanced down at her arm and decided it didn't look too bad. "I'm okay, I think. It just grazed me with those fangs, and I don't think enough poison got into the wound to affect me. It certainly doesn't burn like I would expect. It'll probably be okay after a night's rest."

She bent and pickup up her guttering torch. "What about a pyre? This webbing should burn like pitch, and given the condiiton of the bodies, I imagine they'd go up soon after. Of course, not until we are ready to leave. I'm not keen on breathing corpse smoke."

"I agree with Arthur about searching up top, though I think we might want to go back and revisit that entry area first. There was a door on the far wall that we skipped past. I am curious as to what might be behind it, especially given what we have found so far." She cleaned Alrathien with a scrap of cloth she pulled from her belt pouch, then sheathed the sword.

Airanath
2011-09-09, 01:11 PM
"Corpse smoke, that would be horrible, but a clean release for those poor fellows." Arwen answears, magicking away the dirty on his hands and knees, forgetting for a moment he'll have to crawl back the same way.
"Anyone else want some dust cleaned?"

Fuzzies
2011-09-09, 01:14 PM
Lisane looks at Arwen and shakes her head witha small smile. "No, I think I'll wait until we're up top and on our way home. If we are going to burn these bodies though, help me pile them together."

Once everyone had pitched in, Lisane suggested they all head down the tunnel and wait for her so that she could torch the mummified corpses and leave before the smoke got too thick.

stack
2011-09-09, 01:54 PM
"Let me ignite the pyre. I can do it from down the tunnel."

huzzah for mage hand

VonDoom
2011-09-10, 01:41 PM
"I'll be fine, no dustings needed," Roshan noted from the back. "Haven't exactly climbed over there with you, after all. Far too cramped for my meagre crossbow skills and I've no spells to put down enemies -- but Astera was with you, after all. I'll see if I can't come up with some spells that are of use to you lot as well, next time." He chuckled, as he handed Astera a piece of cloth to clean her claws with.

"Though if you'd be a dear, blood does tend to wash out horribly." He added with a lopsided grin, indicating towards his Eidolon.

Airanath
2011-09-11, 08:40 AM
"I can help there, prepared this to help exactly with those clean ups, just turned out we got more chances to use it."
Arwen smiles, and the speaks a few arcane words, gesturing towards Astera, and he finishes the blood stains on her cloth come of and turn into blood dust into the air, he then proceeds to clean the spider ichor on whoever was sprayed with it.

Firebeard
2011-09-11, 10:53 AM
Lisane held the torch out in the air before her and felt an unseen hand take it from her. The group backed down the caved in hallway, with Arthur struggling to hold the torch in place over the pile of webbed bodies. At the limit of his range, he dropped the magic and a slight whoosh was heard from the room. Everyone backed back to the room where they had spent the night before, trying to stay ahead of the smoke.

stack
2011-09-11, 12:21 PM
Arthur rubs his nose, trying to stifle a sneeze brought on by the smoke. "Shall we continue then? We can finish up down here, then explore the old Tor like we had originally planned."

He adds hid shield to the pile of goods, deciding to keep two hands on his new weapon.

Fuzzies
2011-09-11, 01:35 PM
"Very well. Let's go back to the one doorway that we know is left down here before going back up top. " Lisane grabbed her share of the goods and continued back down the hallway, waiting only for Arthur's shining stone to light her way. Once back in the main room, she cautiously scanned the area to make sure that nothing had come in behind them, then moved over to the eastern door and examined it.

Perception [roll0] for traps, opening mechanism, tracks, etc.

Firebeard
2011-09-11, 08:13 PM
Like the first door you traveled through, this one has seen better days. Its use as a means to keep unwanted visitors out is sadly at an end. While Lisane looked over the rotten timbers, half of the door fell to the floor. The crash sent echoes through the room beyond and stirred up a small cloud of dust. The light at hand showed a large room, unadorned and completely empty...except for a small treasure chest. The chest looks out of place, not least because it is the only thing in the otherwise deserted room.

stack
2011-09-11, 09:46 PM
"This room is...suspicious. Let's proceed carefully. I believe my uncle said that an empty room with obvious treasure is the most dangerous."

detect magic all around, following Lisane's trap inevitable search

Firebeard
2011-09-11, 09:52 PM
Neither Arthur's magical sense, nor Lisane's keen eyes pick up anything unusual about the room or the chest it holds.

VonDoom
2011-09-12, 05:55 AM
"Open." Astera suddenly piped up from behind, earning her a surprised glance by her Summoner as she slowly stepped forward.

Carefully, she moved closer and closer. A quick glance back followed by a half-growled 'Stay back!' indicated that she meant to open the chest on her own -- and she quickly proceeded to attempt and do just that.

Str-Check, if necessary.
[roll0]

Firebeard
2011-09-12, 08:02 AM
The lock protecting the chest from unwanted visitors simply fell off in Astera's claws as the eidolon yanked on it. The rusted mechanism inside had practically disintegrated over the years. Not so the intricate trap inside the chest itself. As the padlock fell away, a wound spring sent an inch-long dart speeding through a hole in the side of the chest. The needle buried itself in Astera's left hand, leaving a tiny prick that began to burn. The force of Astera's yank on the lock popped the top of the chest open a few inches.

Astera triggered a hidden spring-dart trap. Fort save please.

VonDoom
2011-09-12, 09:07 AM
Shouldn't she also get a Ref Save to evade the dart itself? :smalltongue:
Anyway, Fort Save: [roll0]

Firebeard
2011-09-12, 09:25 AM
Nope, no way to avoid it as there was no tell-tales. unlike a swinging axe or a blast of fire, she wouldn't even know it was coming until it hit her.

Astera snarls at the stinging bite of the needle, then shakes her hand. The brown substance coating the needle appeared to have deteriorated over time, greatly reducing its effectiveness at stopping intruders. Inside the chest are a small pile of coins, 2 small lustrous pearls, and a cloth and leather headband with runes worked into it in small beads.

stack
2011-09-12, 10:06 AM
After the trap is sprung, Arthur rushes forward to aid the eidolon. "Are you alright?" Wish I could do something about poisons. Hopefully she can shake it off, if there is anything still there.

"I knew there had to be a trap here. It just seems...appropriate."

More jewels, coins...oh that's interesting.

detect magic on headband, too bad Arthur doesn't get Identifying till level 2

Firebeard
2011-09-12, 10:18 AM
To Arthur's magical eyesight, the headband glows faintly. An aura of abjuration clings to it, tendrils of the arcane energy powering the item visible to those who know how to look.

How about a spellcraft check? DC 15+ item CL to identify magical properties (oh, how I love Pathfinder's streamlined system).

stack
2011-09-12, 01:02 PM
"This headband is definitely enchanted. Arwen, Roshan, you want to see if you can determine what the enchantment is? We obviously shouldn't just try it on to find out, especially since who ever put it here likes traps. Maybe we should search the room further as well."

search the empty room and box, just in case, using detect magic
[roll0]
aid another mundane search [roll1]

Fuzzies
2011-09-12, 01:24 PM
Lisane started to protest when Astera growled at her to back away, then saw the advantages of having the eidolon do the dirty work - especially as they had no one with them that was particularly adept at finding and disabling traps. What would I do? Hit it with a sword?

Once Astera had disabled the trap, by the effective means of springing it, and had opened the chest, Lisane watched in admiration as Arthur pulled the beaded headband from the pile and announced that it was enchanted. "I agree, let's not take chances...but it does look quite nice."

She helped Arthur continue to search the room, without much hope of finding anything else. When they were done, she said "So, shall we continue to the top, then? I imagine we can take the rope that the hobgoblins used or climb up the outside and get to the interior of the tor. I'd prefer the rope, persoanlly, but I understand if not everyone feels that way."

Perception to search the room [roll0]

Climb check if we go the rope route [roll1] (which I should auto-pass with a rope and a wall to brace against)

VonDoom
2011-09-12, 01:34 PM
"Well, I'll take a look," Roshan offered, stepping forward to take hold of the headband while Astera sat to the side of the chest and nursed her hand. Glancing up at Arthur, she briefly nodded. "Fine. Won't kill me."

With a curious expression on his face, the Summoner studied the item in his hand, briefly casting a small dweomer to look into the nature of the spells involved -- noting the aura of abjuration that Arthur had already seen for himself. "Abjuration. Protective magic," he finally commented out loud as he nonchalantly placed it right onto his head with a lopsided grin.

"Don't know about you," he said as his grin turned triumphant, "but if I were to keep cursed items around to keep thieves well and miserable, I'd not trap whatever I put them in so that they'd be sure to use them, just for the fun of it. But you know what I would trap? The proper items that are actually useful."

Crossing his arms in front of his chest, he waited for any noticeable effect to set in.

Firebeard
2011-09-12, 01:43 PM
Roshan's head immediately burst into flames that crisped his hair and peeled back scalp. The heat was so intense that everyone backed away, reflexively. Everyone, that is, except Astera. The eidolon lunged for her master and attempted to remove the burning headband from his brow, to no avail. The flesh on her hands began to melt and her screams echoed through the chambers forgotten below the tor.

Other than a jaunty and decorous look, the headband showed no signs of immediate effect. Roshan's hair didn't even grow an inch. Perhaps its effects were too mild to be discerned by such casual usage?

Firebeard
2011-09-12, 01:44 PM
Roshan's head immediately burst into flames that crisped his hair and peeled back scalp. The heat was so intense that everyone backed away, reflexively. Everyone, that is, except Astera. The eidolon lunged for her master and attempted to remove the burning headband from his brow, to no avail. The flesh on her hands began to melt and her screams echoed through the chambers forgotten below the tor.

Other than a jaunty and decorous look, the headband showed no signs of immediate effect. Roshan's hair didn't even grow an inch. Perhaps its effects were too mild to be discerned by such casual usage?

VonDoom
2011-09-12, 02:35 PM
"Yes ... let it all burn away," Roshan said quietly, as an eery calm came over him. Astera forgotten, he rose to stand tall while he bore the incredible heat ravaging his face. "I am Roshan no longer; before you stands a new man. Reborn in flame. Now, you may call me ... master." He briefly glanced towards Arthur while his eyelids bubbled away. "Fetch me a mask, lackey -- an iron mask, for my new visage must match the iron will under whose yoke this world of Golarion shall soon tremble."

And with that, Roshan suddenly gained a level increase by ten for turning evil and developed a Fear Aura for no reason.

"Hm." Roshan noted, somewhat underwhelmed by whatever magical effect might currently be affecting him. "Nothing noticeable. Probably minor -- we might find out if I keep it on for a bit."

stack
2011-09-12, 03:01 PM
He shrugs, blushing with some embarrassment. "I...I...I'm not sure...okay. Not sure that's the best way to find out what it does though. People do strange things with magic. From the stories I've heard, you're lucky you aren't a rabbit or something. Maybe Arwen should look at it anyway."

"Well, we may as well go up. I would rather hike up the hill outside, though we can try the rope if you want."

Airanath
2011-09-12, 03:22 PM
Arwen casts Detect Magic and then offers, "Mind if I have a look at it? I am attuned to percieve magical flows now, so I could try understand its work trough that."
If allowed, the elf studies the headband, tracing any arcane symbols he sees in the air, trying to remember their properties from his schooling days.

Spellcraft: [roll0]

Airanath
2011-09-12, 03:24 PM
Arwen casts Detect Magic and then offers, "Mind if I have a look at it? I am attuned to percieve magical flows now, so I could try understand its work trough that."
If allowed, the elf studies the headband, tracing any arcane symbols he sees in the air, trying to remember their properties from his schooling days.

Spellcraft: [roll0]

Firebeard
2011-09-12, 09:24 PM
To Arwen's trained mind, the ancient runes read like modern poetry. And woven throughout the passage is the rune "Kaerwas", which in ancient Elven means "true heart". In his mind's eye, the elf sees the true purpose of the headband - to give its wearer the strength of will to resist certain magical effects.

Headband of the Stout Heart: +1 to Will saves

Airanath
2011-09-12, 11:06 PM
"Now that is a nice little prize, this headband has the power to bolster one heart and mind, making them strong against mental assaults and such. Obviously you would feel no change, at least untill you were mentaly striked Roshan. Its very well made, at least, in the arcane sense, I remember my master showing me some slopy magicraft, and this one was made by someone at least careful, I don't think it'll fry your brain if you are attacked instead." the elf exposes and goes on and on about the quality and weaving of the arcane matrix in the item.
"Time to check for the tor I guess, but so far, not bad for our egg run. Almost makes me wonder if it wasn't set up to be like this, maybe with less goblins, since nobody found this stuff in ages and our boss did say he came here himself once."

stack
2011-09-13, 06:56 AM
Listening to Arwen's description of the headband, Arthur is intrigued. "You'll have to show me a bit about reading the mage-craft. I'm afraid I've had no experience in that. I can sense auras, but have no idea how to understand them. Perhaps you can give me pointers when we have time?"

Airanath
2011-09-13, 07:08 AM
"I can try, hopefully I can find some books to help along, and if we keep at least one of those items I could show a few of the weavings of the matrix on them, there are thousands of combinations, but its somewhere to start. I believe I saw a book on the subject in the Pathfinder's library, very instructive, if not as beutiful as the real thing." the elf replies somewhat excited at discussing one of his favorite topics on magic.

Fuzzies
2011-09-13, 07:26 AM
Lisane, excited about their find, but anxious to return to the lodge to report their findings, said "Well, it seems that we've exhausted the possibilities here. Shall we head up top? I'd like to take the rope up to see where the hobgoblins came down, but if you guys would rather not climb the rope, I can go up and then come back down and join you for the trip up the hill."

Airanath
2011-09-13, 08:10 AM
"Sure, let's take the rope up, provided there isn't smoke fillling the room and risking chocking ourselves, we can probably depart from there already, it seems to lead to the surface at least from the sun coming through. That way we can also untie the rope and take it with us, good rope is always welcome around the base." Arwen offers, on the way back trough the main hall he picks whatever was stashed there that he can afford carrying without slowing the group down.

Firebeard
2011-09-13, 08:37 AM
You make your way back to the central chamber, where the rain puddle from the night before has slightly subsided by means of the slow drain in the floor. The smell of smoke here is faint, but noticeable. There doesn't seem to be any danger of smoke inhalation doing any serious harm.

Lisane goes up the rope first, her long legs easily hoisting her up into the shaft. Once in the shaft, she uses the rope to walk up the walls. About 60 feet up, the shaft opened into daylight. Lisane slowly peeked above the ground to see the interior walls of the tor. The shaft appeared to empty near the center of the inner bailey and was obviously used as a courtyard drain, in addition to whatever purposes it served below. She called down to the others to come up and inspected the grate that had covered the sluice. It was old, rusted, and had obviously been hacked at several times to get it open. The rope was spiked into the ground a few feet away.

It didn't take long for the rest to ascend. Between the rope and the ability to brace against the shaft, there was no problems for anyone climbing...even with the extra piles of gear they had found below. Once everyone had reached the top, they took stock of their surroundings. They were inside the walls of the tor, many of which appeared to have weathered last night's storm very badly. The tor itself, a 50 foot tall tower appeared to have lost some crenelations, judging from the fresh-looking piles of ruble to one side and a distinctly lopsided look. In fact, the tower, which had appeared decrepit but intact during the approach the previous day, now looked incredibly lopsided. It listed like a willow in a strong wind, and there was no doubt in anyone's mind that it would fall before the year was out.

Other than the tor and the walls, the only structures of note were a pair of outbuildings under the shade of the tower. One was obviously used as a stable at one time, while other's purpose was unclear from the courtyard. In all, it looked as desolate and abandoned as Stiles had led you to believe.

stack
2011-09-13, 09:34 AM
Arthur looks around, blinking in the sunlight as he emerges from the hole. Why did we bring all that armor up, my arms are on fire!

"Perhaps someone should check the outbuildings, just to be sure. Maybe the hobgoblins left something there, though I count it unlikely. I will inspect the tower, see if it looks safe enough to enter. Can't have it falling on our heads after we've come this far." He gives his arms a shake as he walks toward the tower.

Firebeard
2011-09-13, 09:59 AM
Arthur looked at the leaning tower and winced at the thought of entering. He was no engineer, but the foundations looked terribly cracked, and he could swear the tower was swaying slightly.

Fuzzies
2011-09-13, 10:01 AM
Lisane nodded and went to look over the outbuildings, starting with the enclosed one. Peering inside, she took in the contents of the room before moving on to the stables.

Perception [roll0]

might as well give the tower a look too, to see if there is any way to tell if the light the villagers have been seeing is visible in the daytime [roll1]

Firebeard
2011-09-13, 11:01 AM
Inside the ruined outbuilding, Lisane saw 6 piles of rags and old blankets making up bedrolls. The bedrolls were soaked through from last night's rain, which apparently entered through a large hole in the room and then spread to cover the ground. The area looked as if it had been abandoned in a hurry, with sweeps through the dust and mud coating every surface showing that someone had scooped up articles in haste, without trying to pick each up individually. Under the corner of one of the bedrolls was a coin - a piece of silver with modern stampings on it, unlike most of the coins you found below. In fact, it has the same stamp on it that some of the coins taken from the dead hobgoblins showed. The coin is the only usable item in the small building.

Outside, the stables have even less of an intact roof than the outbuilding did, and show less signs of recent use. There are a few pieces of corroded tack, and some old tracks not quite washed away by the rain. Other than that, the place shows no signs of recent activity. Looking up at the tower, Lisane sees a window near the top that could be the source of the light, but without entering the tower and climbing to the heights, there was no way to be sure.

stack
2011-09-13, 12:06 PM
"That tower looks very unstable. I don't like the thought of going in. The next occupant may not get to leave. Besides, how much could be left? If they send new pathfinders here routinely, everything would be picked-over, right? It was a stroke of luck to find the lower chambers. I suspect the light reported by the locals was just from the hobgoblins, who won't be troubling anyone now." He speaks with less confidence than his words suggest, loathe to leave anywhere un-inspected.

If we are to be proper pathfinders though, should that stop us?

Fuzzies
2011-09-14, 08:11 AM
"I agree that the light was probably just the hobgoblins. But, we were tasked with finding out for sure. I don't like the thought of entering the tower, but we need to know. Perhaps if just one of us ascends? It would be safer than risking the entire group."

Airanath
2011-09-14, 09:12 AM
I will go if necessary, hopefully I am agile enough to make a run for it. Arwen offers, taking off any unecessary weight, dumping bag, armor and all weapons but his bow in the ground.

Firebeard
2011-09-15, 07:47 AM
The debate continues for a few moments, then finally it is decided that Asstera will go, seeing as she is the only one that will not suffer permanent damage should the worst occur. Roshan is very obviously not happy with the decision, but a few sharp words from Astera silences him.

The eidolon entered the tower from the side door, whose opening was unblocked by any door at all. Quietly and stealthily, she raced up the stairs and out of sight. The companions waited in varying degrees of anticipation for Astera to return. After a few minutes had passed with no word, Arthur and Lisane were forced to restrain Roshan from climbing the stairs after his longtime companion.

Then, something fell from the window of the highest level of the tower. it plummeted to the ground and smashed on the courtyard flagstones. Turning to look, you can see it was once a lantern with a blue film on the inside. A noise from the tower made you turn to see Astera climbing from the stairs and exiting the doorway. "Sorry...had to jump" was all she said.

stack
2011-09-15, 08:29 AM
"So, there was a lantern, but nothing else. Very odd. Well, that was excellent work, Astera."

"Shall we stop in town on our way back? Seems we ought turn this bulky gear into transportable gold before we go back. Makes it easier to pay our tithe and loan too."

I wonder what all those gems are worth? Oh, I should jot a few notes down to make sure I don't miss anything in the journal.

Arthur fumbles for his journal and pen, then starts jotting down notes of their adventure, trying to be thorough and scrupulous, but also to make the adventure (which seemed huge to him) seem as interesting as possible. What if I made it in the chronicles on my first submission? That would be something to tell Uncle Barth about! Still, have to tell it like it is. Can't magnify my contributions. Besides, the others will certainly want to read the report before submission.

I say we unload everything we don't want to keep (mostly armor and weapons, Arthur's shield, gems, and turn them into cash. Should we abstract it, or play it out? (If there are interesting encounters planned we should of course play it out, but just mundane shopping and haggling in a PBP would take a week)

ed-in light of Firebeard's OOC info, I think we just go back, unless we want to try to get a bounty on bandits.

stack
2011-09-15, 09:44 AM
Stupid, stupid how did I forget that? Arthur stops short and winces, shaking his head. "We can just sell this stuff through the pathfinders. Which we all learned in orientation. Sorry, must have been distracted...or...anyway."

"Should we stop in the village and let them know about the, uhm, 'late' bandits? I suppose we handled them all, but it would be good to let them know. Might even be a reward." And if any of these gems where stolen from locals we should give them back.

Fuzzies
2011-09-15, 09:49 AM
Lisane watched the eidolon take a risk that she herself was uneasy about performing. She knew in her heart that to ascend those crumbling steps was to face her own death. However, it appeared that the lighter, more agile Astera was indeed able to make it to the top, as the crushed lantern demonstrated. Lisane looked at the item, noting the blue film on the inside of the glass.

"It appears that the hobgoblins were using this tor as a base of sorts, and the lantern was probably hung to keep the locals away. I imagine from the ones we met on the trail, that they have been preying on travelers, and then coming here to rest and regroup. The tool marks on the grate leading down to the lower caverns suggest that they were looking for some place to get out of the lightning and rain last night, probably after the tower got hit and started to fall."

"I think we have enough information to take back to Stiles...and to rub in his face that the 'egg run' actually produced results. I doubt he ever thought we'd be paying back the gold he lent us on our first run."

Lisane looked towards Korvosa for a long moment, then back at the group. "The question is, do we set back out for Korvosa now? It'll probably take us until dusk to get there, assuming we aren't delayed. Our other option is to head to the local village and informa them that both their 'haunt' and hobgoblin problems are over. Personally, I'd like to go to the village. I grew up interacting with small villages in the woods, and I know how much of their lives are fueled by superstition. If we can relieve them of even a small portion of worry, it would be worth the extra day."

Arthur's words seemed to agree with her own, that they should stop by the village, but still she looked to the others to see their thoughts. They were a team, after all.

ninja'd by the Oracle!

Firebeard
2011-09-15, 01:17 PM
Having concurred on the course of action - Roshan offered no suggestions, being completely caught up in the risks that his faithful companion just took for them - the group left the tor through the largest and most stable looking breach in the front wall. Stepping carefully over the rubble, you turn back to see the tower one last time before continuing on.

The road to the nearest village is the same weathered track you came in on, less of a road than a wagon trail, but it runs fairly straight and smooth. An hour along the trail, you can see wisps of smoke curling over the tops of small houses and buildings. The houses themselves come into view, poorly thatched and small - typical of small villages found anywhere in Golarion. A few children playing in the street glance up at you as you come into view, then bolt for hiding places and parental arms.

It is fairly apparent that these people live on trapping and subsistence farming, given the small gardens and tanneries. In fact, there seem to be two different tanneries in the town, lending an awful reek to the air. There was a general store that held staples such as flour and barley, and a small forge - barely 2 hammers and a small anvil. There is no inn or tavern in sight.

Presently, as you approach, a big man wearing a tunic and apron stained with soot and with small burns steps out of the smithy and into the road. His beard is dark brown, though the top of his head shows no hair at all. He is holding a large hammer - a 5 pound sledge, from the looks of it - easily in one gnarled hand, and his expression is open but guarded.

"What can we do for you, strangers? We don't got no inn or tavern in town, but if you're looking for pelts, I can take to to Roschfret." His eyes watch you carefully, and you get the impression that he expects you to be up to no good.

stack
2011-09-15, 01:27 PM
Arthur steps forward, weapon at his side, and addresses the man in a friendly tone. "My companions and I are on a mission from the Pathfinder Society, investigating the strange light in the old tor." He gestures back up the road.

"We came across a number of hobgoblins bandits who made camp there, who were responsible for the light that some reported seeing. If they have bothered you before, they will not do so again. We hoped to find lodging for the night, for which we can pay in coin." No inn? Huh, really small place. I though everyone had an inn, always do in the stories. How will we celebrate in proper heroic fashion? Guess I should get out of Korvosa more often.

"We, of course, mean no trouble to anyone and would be grateful for a place to rest before we return to the city in the morning."

Fuzzies
2011-09-15, 01:57 PM
Lisane was about to speak up when Arthur began. He hit all the high points, so she was content to sit back and let him be the party face for now. After all, her skills lay more in intrusion and scouting than negotiating.

She only spoke up once to interject "There were 6 bedrolls in the tor, and we killed 6 hobgoblins. I would imagine that should take care of the raiders and road brigands in the area. Odds are good that the hobgoblins used teh lantern to try and scare away any locals from the tor, so that they could use it as a base for their raiding. In the Fangwood, we don't take kindly to such actions. Hopefully, we have dissuaded others from following them."

Firebeard
2011-09-15, 03:28 PM
"Here, now. You mean to be telling me that what's been stealing our animals and killing travelers in these parts has been goblins? That sure explains a lot. We've lost a good 2 dozen pigs and some sheep these last few months, right about the time Karl Freestone saw that there witchlight in the old tower. He said it were ghosts, and no one here dared say boo to that. So we sent Karl to the city to beg some help. And here you are!"

The man yelled out "Ma! Ma Kostas! Get a supper brewing for these folks, they done killed our ghost!" Turning back to you, he said, "My name's Faret." He pronounced it far-it. "I run the smithy here, course you can see that - and I also act as village speaker. As I said before, we ain't got an inn or tavern, but Ma Kostas' been widowed these last 3 years and she's got room at her place, if'n you don't mind all sleeping on the floor. She's a pretty good cook, too, and we're happy to give a supper to those what saved our village - be it from ghost or goblin."

Presently a matronly-looking woman came up to Faret. "What's all the yelling about Faret? Just cause Toby's been dead 3 years don't make it right for you to be ordering me about!"

"Calm down old woman! These here travelers got sent here from the Pathfinders and they done killed the ghost up at the old tor. And some goblins too! I thought we could feast em up before sending them home with our thanks. You can take the food from my larder."

The woman looked you up and down, then smiled. The teeth were all present, though several were browned. "Saved us all, did you? Well, that deserves a good meal, if'n it don't. Come along then, you can wash up on the stoop whilst I get the stew a a going." With that she shuffled off toward a small hovel, barely larger than the pigsty attached to it, and beckoned you to follow.

Fuzzies
2011-09-16, 08:58 AM
Lisane choked on the smells in teh air, and the thought of eating in the presence of these aromas was nauseating. Still, she had wanted to come here and assuage the fears of these peope, and if a night in a small hovel with foul smells around was required, so be it. Besides, she was being given a chacne to wash up and experience the village's hospitality.

"Ma'am, we appreciate the meal and a chance to wash. We had a rough time in that storm last night, and could use the cleaning up." She smiled at the woman when Ma Kostas turned to look at her. "I imagine if you want to hear our story over the meal tonight, our Lorekeeper here," she pointed at Arthur, "can oblige."

stack
2011-09-16, 10:07 AM
Arthur blushes at the title, glancing down to his shuffling feet. After composing himself, he looks up and answers. "I would gladly tell the tale of our adventure, though I fear I may not do my companions justice. Though stories are best saved for around the fire. We are most grateful for your hospitality and glad that we could remove the bandit menace."

Do I bow? Shake hands? Country manners...
know local for find out how best to interact with poor commoners and not sound like a pampered city boy
[roll0] untrained

Firebeard
2011-09-16, 12:55 PM
"You don't have to be ma'am-ing me dearie. I been Ma Kostas to a hunnert folks, and you can call me the same. If you really did take care of the ghost and some hobgoblins around here, that's good enough for me to be calling you family. 'Sides, you don't have to be worrying about the cleaning trough none. You folks look as you got more mud on you than my pigs...well, some of you do." She sniffed at Arwen and Roshan, as if excessive cleanliness was suspicious behavior to her.

"Town well's in the back of the smithy, and there's a couple buckets on the porch. Why don't you and your friends get a few loads and wash up in the trough. I'll clean it out for you. Then, once you've sluiced off a bit, you can come inside. I'll get the stew on, and there's fresh bread baked this morning. May have a bit 'o cheese too, if Faret was serious about raiding his larder."

She looked at Arthur and grinned at him. "Then, once we're all set down, you can tell me your story, boy. I ain't had a good adventure story in years, just the ones we've had since I was a child. I liked them stories of ghosts and dragons, even if they did sound mostly made up nonsense."

@Arthur

Best you can do is try not to gawk and piss on the rushes. It never hurts to be too polite.

...okay, mostly never.

stack
2011-09-16, 01:52 PM
Arthur smiles at the invitation. "Well, no dragons to tell of. Yet anyway. I think I can smell that bread you mentioned, so we'll wash-up right away. Can't turn down such hospitality." Uncle Barth always said a good tale only gets better with a bit of embellishment. It's expected, right?

At the well, as he strains to hall up the water buckets, Arthur inquires of the others. "Is there really any harm in telling them about the lower chambers? It makes a better story. Besides, we cleared things out right good. Someone will find that door eventually anyway, may as well get credit for it. And they could keep watch, make sure other bandits don't set-up there, right?" He looks from face to face, trying to hide his desire to improve his tale, turning over the more colorful descriptions in his mind.

Fuzzies
2011-09-17, 03:39 PM
"Perhaps not. You are correct about someone finding them again soon. I was just hoping we could be the first ones back to Korvosa with the tale. Not that I think these villagers would beat us back with the news." Lisane looked wistfully towards the city. "You know, this first adventure went pretty well, all things considered. I have really enjoyed this."

Lisane got cleaned up, wondering as she did so if Arwen wouldn't mind helping her clean her cloithing magically. Then, once dinner was ready, she followed the others inside for a good, hot meal. She listened to Arthur tell the story of their adventure under the old tor, adding embelishments and details as she saw fit. It was a good evening.

Assuming nothing else major happens at dinner...

Lisane volunteered to take the mid-watch - traditionally the worst watch segment because your sleep was broken into pieces. It normally didn't bother her, and she liked to have the time to think, unfettered by late nighters and early risers. The adventure under the tor engendered excitement in her, in a way training and service as a Sister of the Fangwood never had.

She knew it was, in part, the adrenaline rush of holding your life in your own hands as you combated creatures that wanted to kill you. But, it was also a sense of adventure, of finding new knowledge and bringing it back to ehe Lodge to share it with other Pathfinders. Of knowing that you had just accomplished something no one else had. It was a good feeling.

She thought over the group of men she had fought beside. They made a good team, and she was comfortable with them. It wasn't like that other trainee, Chezek, that had propositioned her 18 times during their training. Or that oaf Larish who just leered at her, but never said anything. They were...friends. Yes, even the eidolon Astera. She was different, in the way wild creatures of the forest were different, but no less a friend and good companion for all that. She could get used to this.

stack
2011-09-17, 04:46 PM
After they have eaten, Arthur does his best to mimic his uncle's tale-telling, attempting dramatic pauses and sweeping arm gestures as he stands in front of the fire. His attempts at mimicking the Vargouille's scream upset a nearby cat, adding some unintentional comic relief to his performance.

I'll edit in some more detail after I see the result of the roll, then leave reactions to the DM (perform oratory)

[roll0]

Arthur feels himself in rare form, his voice rising and falling as relates their adventure. Though their acts may have seemed minor to a seasoned adventurer, he feels his telling magnifies them to the stuff of (local) legend. Carefully selecting every word for maximum color, he expands a simple recollection to a sweeping quest. For good measure, he continues on and relates other stories and legends he knows to entertain his host and any others who gathered there before sitting down, mouth dry and quite thirsty, but satisfied with his performance.