2011-11-25, 02:33 AM
Current Turn: Summer 1908 - Retreats

Current Map (after Spring 1908)
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/3668/chaoss1908r.png

Retreats due Monday at 10pm

Fall 1908 Orders are due Thursday 3/22 at 10pm PDT

-----

Winter 1900

The virus that had wiped out the leaders of every world government could not have been created by chance, but it didn't really matter now. England, Austria, France and every other major power had fallen into chaos. Violence was erupting in the streets and regional warlords had taken over control. But this was still Europe and some had realized how they could turn the impending war to their advantage. Out of the flames of chaos a new empire would be created.

Okay...

Our Map
http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/1518/chaosf1900b.jpg

Countries (okay, Supply Centers)
A-Ankara - Shular
B-Belgium - 101jir
C-Berlin - LTDave Grytorm
D-Brest - Salmon
E-Budapest - Jamin
F-Bulgaria - tiaxrulesall
G-Constantinople - Grue Bait
H-Denmark - Niezck
I-Edinburgh - Inanisvoid
J-Greece - Kalirren
K-Holland - Pelfaid
L-Kiel - Salzar
N-Liverpool - Chambers
P-London - Makleveh The Grimmace
Q-Marsailles - Locus Splynn
R-Moscow - nolispe
S-Munich - Mael
T-Naples - C'nor
U-Norway - Thrice Dead Cat
V-Paris - Splynn
W-Portugal - The Grimmace
X-Rome - Deathslayer7
Y-Rumania - Murska
Z-Serbia - Fallout Silverlich Spate
0-Sevastopol - 52.5 Lemons
1-Smyrna - yugi24862
2-Spain - IcemanJRC
3-St. Petersburg - 4is111
4-Sweden - Vexen
5-Trieste - TBFProgrammer
6-Tunis - DMBlackhart
7-Venice - Mistral Thrice Dead Cat
8-Vienna - Dextral TsukikoJ
9-Warsaw - Eternis

List of home supply centers

A-Ankara - Shular
Ankara
Constantinople
1 remaining

P-London - The Grimmace
London
Edinburgh
1 remaining

Q-Marsailles - Splynn
Marsailles
Spain
Paris

R-Moscow - nolispe
Moscow
Warsaw
St. Petersburg

X-Rome - Deathslayer7
Rome
Tunis
1 remaining

Y-Rumania - Murska
Rumania
Smyrna
1 remaining

Trieste
Vienna
1 remaining

Submitting Orders
I would prefer (but do not require) that orders be sent to giantitpdip (at) gmail (dot) com, an email account I just set up for this purpose - 34 orders will rapidly overflow my inbox. However, if you want a quick response, or if you have a question, you're probably better off PMing me. Whatever the case, please have the initials "TLA", the word "orders", the name of your SC, and the date (season, year) in the subject of the email or PM if you're submitting orders.

An example would be "TLA: Trieste Spring 1901 Orders" or "TLA: Trieste 1900 Builds"

Deadlines
At the end of every post where I report your orders I will give a deadline for the next set of orders. Approximately 24 hours before orders are due, I will post a 24 hour warning (so you should check whenever the thread is bumped). If this warning is less than 12 hours before the deadline (because I forgot) I will be lenient until 12 hours after my posted warning. Any of you who have played with me in previous games will know I'm usually nice with waiting a bit for people who've forgotten to submit orders. That will not be the case in this game: there's 34 of you and the game would just slow down too much.

For Beginners
If you ever have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me. I'm pretty good with rules questions. I obviously can't help with your negotiation questions though :smallwink:

Right now, everyone should post once in this thread
Let everyone know how you prefer to be reached and if you'd like to introduce yourself as the Duke of <whatever>, that's cool too.

Get going! Talk, diplomacize (if that's a word), backstab, etc.

Winter 1900 Builds are due Sunday 11/27 at 10pm PDT
But don't worry, you'll have a full week for spring orders

Murska
2011-11-25, 02:58 AM
I'm here and... erm...

I have no idea what to do. :smalltongue:

Pelfaid
2011-11-25, 03:15 AM
I am here and as I my first order of business I am renaming Holland to The Invisible Country. You would not believe how long it took me to find it even knowing where it was. :smallsigh:
Edit:
And I can be reached best via PM.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-11-25, 03:15 AM
I'm here and... erm...

Sounds like your typical Chaos affair. Clearly, you should try some experimental aerial recon units!:smallbiggrin:

thewamp
2011-11-25, 03:17 AM
I'm here and... erm...

I think that for the first 1-2 years that's going to be how things work. I wouldn't worry too much, everyone else is in the same boat :smallwink:

Pelfaid
2011-11-25, 03:18 AM
I keep staring at my country hoping some inspiration will strike as to a good strategy but so far nothing.

nolispe
2011-11-25, 03:26 AM
Alexis D'Ashkemprov, Newly "Elected" Grand Duke of Moscovy, surveyed his new dominion. It was quite large, really. In fact... As of tuesday, it was the largest country in Europe. Wow. Three weeks ago he had been a young nobleman's hunting buddy. After what the remains of the papers had already dubbed "The Lyapunov Affair", things had got messy fast.
Ah well.
Time to get to work. He sent out a flood of messages, assembled the army of Moscow, conscripted most of the peasants who were stupid enough to remain in their villages when he walked through, and made a collection of patriotic speeches in public places about Moscow's willingness to fight to reassert it's glorious history as a powerful and righteous state, as well as releasing dozens of declarations to everyone who would listen about the willingness of the people of Moscow to fight to the death in defense of their territorial integrity.
Just before he went to bed, he reserved a carriage on the Trans-Siberian Railway for himself, bought a nice house in Vladivostok, and embezzeled several billion rubles. Nothing wrong with having a contingency plan.

Diplomatic letter to everyone:
The Grand Duke can be contacted via PM, and informs the new nations of Europe that Moscow stands resolute and the people are unifed behind their glorious leader.

Shular
2011-11-25, 05:14 AM
Greetings! After the recent unsettling times, Ankara is once again open for buisiness. Please PM me to discuss any needs you might have.

Makleveh
2011-11-25, 05:28 AM
Black Friday. That's what they called it when the dust settled. The day of the plague.

London checking in. And how would you describe someone from London? Londoner? Cockney?

Shular
2011-11-25, 06:01 AM
Black Friday. That's what they called it when the dust settled. The day of the plague.

London checking in. And how would you describe someone from London? Londoner? Cockney?

Londoner is correct.

Edit: Oh, and may I publicly request BLA be a demilitarized zone? Not that it would be practical to move into it first turn anyway, but still, had to be said.

Fallout
2011-11-25, 09:09 AM
Serbia checking in.

101jir
2011-11-25, 09:16 AM
Belgium here.

Niezck
2011-11-25, 09:32 AM
Denmark checking in!

@Wamp: When you post order results and such, would you mind posting the results in a jDip-accepted format, maybe at the end in a spoiler or something? I'd quite like to follow this one along in jDip and use it to test, etc. Still not all that great on the rules.

Zjoot
2011-11-25, 09:36 AM
King Francisco Careta of Portugal checking in.

I can be best reached by pm's.

IcemanJRC
2011-11-25, 09:37 AM
Spain would like to be contacted through PM please.

Locus
2011-11-25, 10:46 AM
Marsailles reporting in. PMs are great. Carrier Pigeons acceptable.

Grue Bait
2011-11-25, 11:06 AM
Constani Contant Constanstinopolopoly Constantinople is open to new allies. Best to be reached through PM.

thewamp
2011-11-25, 12:32 PM
@Wamp: When you post order results and such, would you mind posting the results in a jDip-accepted format, maybe at the end in a spoiler or something? I'd quite like to follow this one along in jDip and use it to test, etc. Still not all that great on the rules.

Sure, can do!

Vexen
2011-11-25, 01:03 PM
This is Vexen, reporting in for Sweden
I will be out of town until Monday evening. Internet is not easy for me here. Can I postpone orders until Monday.

52.5 Lemons
2011-11-25, 01:12 PM
Super! the game has started.... now, time for strategy. If I only I had experience with this game. PM will be best to reach me as I just emptied it out so there should be no problem in getting your messages through. :smallcool:

EDIT: I probably wont be responding to PM's until tomorrow as I still need to read over most of the rules to get a firm grasp of what's going on.

tiaxrulesall
2011-11-25, 02:03 PM
Bulgaria here. Brothers, the chaos is too overwhelming, so sane strategy can be conducted, instead we must worship the chaos itself. All hail chaos. Terror shall rule europe... ia ia cthluhu fnagin...

Well enough of that silliness. I can be reached by pm, and would welcome any alliances and am sure none of you would be treacherous enough to betray me ;P

Salmon
2011-11-25, 02:11 PM
Hello, everyone. My name is Salmon, I am the leader of Brest, and I am a messenger of the CEU (Chaotic European Union). Some of you already know that the CEU has an unstoppable long term plan that was set in motion years ago. For those of you who don't, understand that if you are targeted for termination, there is no way to prevent your inevitable destruction. I advise you to accept your fate.

Furthermore, the member list of the CEU is its most closely guarded secret. Your neighbor could be a member, and you wouldn't find out until they are one of the last countries left standing at the end of the great war. There is no way to join the CEU. You also cannot bargain with us. Finally, if you choose to destroy me, a lowly messenger who knows very little of the grand plan, another messenger will take my place and you will have played directly into the hands of the CEU.

May Chaos rule us all.

Murska
2011-11-25, 02:44 PM
Hello, everyone. My name is Salmon, I am the leader of Brest, and I am a messenger of the CEU (Chaotic European Union). Some of you already know that the CEU has an unstoppable long term plan that was set in motion years ago. For those of you who don't, understand that if you are targeted for termination, there is no way to prevent your inevitable destruction. I advise you to accept your fate.

Furthermore, the member list of the CEU is its most closely guarded secret. Your neighbor could be a member, and you wouldn't find out until they are one of the last countries left standing at the end of the great war. There is no way to join the CEU. You also cannot bargain with us. Finally, if you choose to destroy me, a lowly messenger who knows very little of the grand plan, another messenger will take my place and you will have played directly into the hands of the CEU.

May Chaos rule us all.

Hmm.

So, basically, I only know for sure that I don't belong in the CEU (Since I can't join, sadly) which means if I kill everyone else, I will have thwarted their plans.

101jir
2011-11-25, 02:56 PM

May Chaos rule us all.

Hmm.

So, basically, I only know for sure that I don't belong in the CEU (Since I can't join, sadly) which means if I kill everyone else, I will have thwarted their plans.

So, if this CEU is so powerful, does anyone else want to volunteer their participation (or lack thereof)? Certainly not me [I'm not, sorry about the awkward wording]. Those who are not in the CEU are supposedly doomed anyway, and those who are are supposedly invulnerable.

Chambers
2011-11-25, 02:59 PM
Liverpool checking in!

Murska
2011-11-25, 03:23 PM
Well, you can't bargain with the CEU but you can certainly bargain with me. I'll listen to anyone, I'll give advice to anyone and I'm going to consider any deal anyone offers.

thewamp
2011-11-25, 04:32 PM
This is Vexen, reporting in for Sweden
I will be out of town until Monday evening. Internet is not easy for me here. Can I postpone orders until Monday.

Is there any way you can get your builds in by Sunday? I'd rather not take requests to postpone orders given how many players we have. Then again, for this turn only, postponing orders wouldn't really slow down the negotiations... Still, in terms of setting a precedent, if there's any way you can get your build in that'd be awesome

TBFProgrammer
2011-11-25, 04:38 PM
Trieste checking in. I'm a good ally to have: I understand the rules well enough not to be incompetent at moving my armies, but I am new enough to be easily overwhelmed when you decide that my SCs would look better in your color.

thewamp
2011-11-25, 04:43 PM
Trieste checking in. I'm a good ally to have: I understand the rules well enough not to be incompetent at moving my armies, but I am new enough to be easily overwhelmed when you decide that my SCs would look better in your color.

But you're invisible - how will anyone know how to find you? :smallwink:

4is111
2011-11-25, 05:07 PM
Saint Petersburg reporting in. I won't be able to extend a personal pm of introduction to each of you, as is my habit, so let me summarize here:
I don't like to lie or break trust, especially when it can be avoided. I find that two nations working together while plotting to betray each other are much more vulnerable to outside threats, even more so in a game like this where no one can gain territory without exposing themselves to attack. For this reason, I am open to any suggested alliances and always willing to negotiate.

IcemanJRC
2011-11-25, 05:38 PM
Spain checking in, even though I think I might have already...

I'd just like to let everybody know that I am willing to work with anybody and everybody. So you know, hit me up if you're interested.

Eternis
2011-11-25, 07:38 PM
Hello. I am Petyr of Warsaw. I am here to make my country great. I welcome all alliances, from all nations. Any betrayers of trust, whether they betray me or others, I will hunt down and personally kill.
The world is our oyster, my friends.
But there's only one pearl.

TBFProgrammer
2011-11-25, 08:26 PM
But you're invisible - how will anyone know how to find you? :smallwink:

Trieste has been taken over by a shadowy assassin's guild, the leader can't be addressed directly and all further correspondence should be addressed to "Trieste" or "The Guild."

Splynn
2011-11-25, 09:06 PM
The great city-state of Paris has quelled the temporary uprisings, leaving me in control of foreign policy.

I may be reached via PM; I check pretty regularly and I'm open to at least discussing anything with anyone.

Btw; hope all of you that celebrate Thanksgiving had a good one.

Mistral
2011-11-25, 10:43 PM
"I, Emilio Mazzini, am presently serving as the interim leader of the Serene Republic (accept no substitutes; the "Superb" Republic need not apply) of Venice. In the recent chaos, we have adopted a temporary government in order to manage the chaos, which will disband at the cessation of hostilities and restore the rightful and united democratic republic in the finest traditions of Garibaldi and Manin. While our most fervent desire is peace, we are well aware that in the chaos of the collapse of the world's governments, there will be much bloodshed, and however reluctantly we take up the swords, we hope our neighbors will remain aware that any hostile action against us will result in equal retribution."

Hmmm, this is...going to be an interesting first turn. If I can survive the first year, it will be a small miracle in itself.

Zjoot
2011-11-25, 11:40 PM
King Fransisco Plans to "Face the Imminent Storm of War with Courage and Honor"

The newly crowned King Fransisco Careta, who claimed the throne after the virus killed his brother, made his first address to his people yesterday. "I would like to give my sincerest thanks to the people of Portugal for their relative unity during a time of turmoil across all of Europe. When many powerful countries have been torn to pieces by this outbreak, Portugal has remained one. I hope that this patriotism and unity continues in the face of the war that is sure to come," said King Fransisco. He closed with a call out to the rest of Europe, asking that "those who have stepped up to the mantle of leadership in this time of chaos may also be moved to stand with honor." The king has formally offered his assistance to any who would ask for it, and hopes that relations with his neighbors far and near remain civil and strong.

Mael
2011-11-26, 09:04 AM
After the recent flight of the Kaiser for parts unknown I am pleased to announce that in his absence a peoples committee has been established in Munich. So without further ado let me just say that the Democratic Republic of Munich extends warm greetings to all of our neighbours, and should any of you with to establish an embassy we can be reached via PM here.

Regards,
Chairman Mael

101jir
2011-11-26, 12:00 PM
The great city-state of Paris has quelled the temporary uprisings, leaving me in control of foreign policy.

I may be reached via PM; I check pretty regularly and I'm open to at least discussing anything with anyone.

Btw; hope all of you that celebrate Thanksgiving had a good one.

You got France again?:smallannoyed:. Oh well. Hopefully, this will be interesting.

Zjoot
2011-11-26, 12:27 PM
You got France again?:smallannoyed:. Oh well. Hopefully, this will be interesting.

And Makleveh's up in London. You're surrounded by the same two players! :smallbiggrin:

101jir
2011-11-26, 12:34 PM
And Makleveh's up in London. You're surrounded by the same two players! :smallbiggrin:

Maybe this CEU really is real:smalltongue:. Crap, that can't be good:smallbiggrin:.

Jamin
2011-11-26, 01:02 PM
I am here and ready to die err win:smalltongue:

Zjoot
2011-11-26, 02:08 PM
Oh, for all the new players in this game, jDip (http://jdip.sourceforge.net/) is a great recourse. If you're having trouble figuring out the rules or have a confusing set of moves you want to try out, it's a big help. Also gives a nice visual representation, which in my opinion is much better than planning things out in your head.

101jir
2011-11-26, 02:44 PM
Oh, for all the new players in this game, jDip (http://jdip.sourceforge.net/) is a great recourse. If you're having trouble figuring out the rules or have a confusing set of moves you want to try out, it's a big help. Also gives a nice visual representation, which in my opinion is much better than planning things out in your head.

Shh, don't tell them that. Its our secret weapon:smalltongue::smallbiggrin:.

52.5 Lemons
2011-11-26, 04:22 PM

Thank you very much! This should prove to be very useful as it is my first time.

Splynn
2011-11-26, 04:23 PM

The Parisian people send you warm greetings! Though I'm sure the Belgians are irrationally distrustful and hateful of us. :smallfrown:

Salzar
2011-11-26, 07:05 PM
As the newly appointed Ruler of Kiel I would like to signal my openness to alliances.

yugi24862
2011-11-26, 07:08 PM
Anyone wishing to conquer Europe may wish to send a missive to the Duke of Smyrna for assistance

Makleveh
2011-11-27, 08:42 AM
Hey, for everyone who is new to Diplomacy, it's good form to put which nation you are playing in the PM subject or sign off somewhere. It helps in Standard diplomacy and it will be a lifesaver in this.

London

Shular
2011-11-27, 09:42 AM
One other quick tip for new players. If someone is trying to convince you to move to a non-supply centre space first turn, they're your enemy. :smallwink:

TBFProgrammer
2011-11-27, 09:51 AM
Unless you happen to be Tunis or London.

Murska
2011-11-27, 05:20 PM
Another tip to new players - in the long-term, everyone is your enemy. If they're trying to convince you otherwise, they're your enemy right now. Nobody ever does anything for any other reason than to help themselves, so if you're being offered a deal that's too good to be true - it isn't.

101jir
2011-11-27, 05:22 PM
Another tip to new players - in the long-term, everyone is your enemy. If they're trying to convince you otherwise, they're your enemy right now. Nobody ever does anything for any other reason than to help themselves, so if you're being offered a deal that's too good to be true - it isn't.

Or they are extremely nieve, like last game. I offered someone an awesome deal, went through with it, and got backstabbed. Just know how experianced the said player is.

Splynn
2011-11-27, 05:24 PM
Another tip. All of these people giving you guys free tips? Are your enemies. Don't trust anything they say :smalleek:.

And also... this isn't necessarily true. It's a very good rule to live by, though. It's very likely that if the other person is insisting that they aren't your enemy long-term, then they aren't good enough to keep around as an ally. So either they aren't your ally and you need to be suspicious. Or they are, but they're so bad at the game that they'll wind up taking you down with them, and you need to be suspicious.

IcemanJRC
2011-11-27, 05:26 PM
Trust nobody and exploit everybody is the name of the game here kiddies. I learned that the hard way.

nolispe
2011-11-27, 05:42 PM
Also, use every advantage you have. And I mean every. I've already informed the CIA that all of you are terrorist suspects, and started tracking all of you I can through the internet.
Oh, and who ever it was who poisoned my tea, that was the body double I hired in preparation for this game. I'm still here, but still, good try.

101jir
2011-11-27, 05:43 PM
Or they are, but they're so bad at the game that they'll wind up taking you down with them, and you need to be suspicious.

I resent that!:smalltongue:

Makleveh
2011-11-27, 05:53 PM
I'd like to say that while lies, backstabs and other unscrupulous behavior are common and valid strategy in this game, they are tools to use carefully.

Lying to every other player, no matter the situation or stabbing for meager or poorly-timed gains will actually hamper you in the long run- as remaining players stop trusting you or take advantage of your out-of-position units. Even to players who try hard to avoid cross-play, that guy who never said a truthful thing last game is gonna start at the bottom of the trust list.

Gonna stab someone hard? Don't lie to them unless you have to. Don't even message them. Think that will give your plan away? Talk to them about last turn! Talk to them about where the game will be going in a few turns. Mention who you are planning on moving against next. Successful players are those who know how to control information- when to give it out, when to hoard it, and especially when to act on it.

I'd say let me know if you have any questions or need advice, but....... well, Wamp will have to do.

As always, my PM box is empty and best of luck!

London

Makleveh
2011-11-27, 05:54 PM
Also, use every advantage you have. And I mean every. I've already informed the CIA that all of you are terrorist suspects, and started tracking all of you I can through the internet.
Oh, and who ever it was who poisoned my tea, that was the body double I hired in preparation for this game. I'm still here, but still, good try.

Sorry for the double post, but we need more people like you in my RL group. *High Five*

Chambers
2011-11-27, 06:06 PM
"Hey, Gary Oldman, who are your real enemies in Diplomacy?"
http://gallery.drfaulken.com/d/8616-1/EVERYONE.png

Joking. Maybe.

But yeah, what Makleveh said. If you don't offer at least the reasonable doubt that you won't backstab someone, no one's going to trust you.

thewamp
2011-11-27, 07:42 PM
Just a reminder to everyone to get your builds in
This includes people who are inland where they're obviously building an army - I need to know you're in the game.

Also just a ruling, assuming people are okay with this (and if you aren't, speak up): this first turn, anyone who doesn't submit orders will have an army selected for them. This is to make sure that there aren't empty supply centers lying around that someone could easily sweep up.

TBFProgrammer
2011-11-27, 10:51 PM
@TheWamp: If Tunis doesn't submit orders, I think you might want to make a special exception for them. They would be just as stuck with an army build first turn as everyone else would be without a build.

Oh, and the recent tips for new players definitely shouldn't be trusted. You'll need allies to get anything done early on.

thewamp
2011-11-27, 11:04 PM
@TheWamp: If Tunis doesn't submit orders, I think you might want to make a special exception for them. They would be just as stuck with an army build first turn as everyone else would be without a build.

Yep, I think that makes sense.

101jir
2011-11-27, 11:06 PM
Really, it all comes down to personal style. (I speak from experiance because I am losing my first game:smalltongue:). Obviously, any of the extremes runs a risk of getting you into trouble. If you are constantly questioning others unreasonably, you might perk up their suspicions and both of you might do something that you will come to resent. If you never question anything they tell you, you leave yourself wide open for backstab. If you never backstab (how is that even possible?) then you sacrifice a lot of oppritunities. If you always backstab, everyone will expect you to, and don't be surprised if they try to beat you to it. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction:smalltongue:. Just think on a basic logic level.

Deathslayer7
2011-11-27, 11:23 PM
i also think that NMR's should be treated as holds instead. Just so one person doesn't get an advantage over another.

thewamp
2011-11-27, 11:32 PM
i also think that NMR's should be treated as holds instead. Just so one person doesn't get an advantage over another.

They will and that's a pretty standard rule. I just want to make the exception for this first round of builds, so that one person doesn't get a huge advantage over another.

thewamp
2011-11-28, 12:40 AM
DEADLINE FOR BUILDS IS IN 20 MINUTES
But I'm busy writing a paper so I may not have results out until some time tomorrow morning/afternoon. You'll have approximately a week for spring orders though so hopefully this isn't too much of a problem.

101jir
2011-11-28, 01:09 AM
But I'm busy writing a paper so I may not have results out until some time tomorrow morning/afternoon. You'll have approximately a week for spring orders though so hopefully this isn't too much of a problem.

You have mine, correct?

thewamp
2011-11-28, 01:17 AM
You have mine, correct?

Yes indeed.

Shular
2011-11-28, 10:42 AM
Morning please! Being 5 hours ahead, if you wait too long I won't see the results until tomorrow morning.

Inanisvoid
2011-11-28, 01:29 PM
Well crap. I wasn't informed that this was even active until yesterday. I should have my orders in before the day is done, otherwise... yeah. Crap.

Shular
2011-11-28, 01:59 PM
Well, we were assured of a hard deadline, so I don't know if he'll take your order, but you'd just default to an army, so not so bad (especially if the others on the island build fleets).

Inanisvoid
2011-11-28, 03:30 PM
Well, we were assured of a hard deadline, so I don't know if he'll take your order, but you'd just default to an army, so not so bad (especially if the others on the island build fleets).

I suppose... Though I will make public now my alliance and peace agreement with both London and Liverpool. I declare that, should my delay have resulted in the formation of a militia, it will not be sanctioned by my govornment and will be held in reserve until it can be disbanded. I would not fall so low as to think of occupying my allies lands, whatever the circumstances.

101jir
2011-11-28, 03:34 PM
I suppose... Though I will make public now my alliance and peace agreement with both London and Liverpool. I declare that, should my delay have resulted in the formation of a militia, it will not be sanctioned by my govornment and will be held in reserve until it can be disbanded. I would not fall so low as to think of occupying my allies lands, whatever the circumstances.

Thank you for that valuable piece of information:smallsmile:.

4is111
2011-11-28, 04:09 PM

Remember he could be bluffing. After all, that could easily have been conveyed by PM. He wants you to think he has an alliance, but as it happens I think that's correct. An alliance in England makes them practically unassailable. My guess is he's going for the shock and awe factor to conquer more territories by intimidation.

thewamp
2011-11-28, 04:45 PM
I should clarify the hard deadline: it means I'm not waiting on anyone. It doesn't mean that if I can't get around to processing orders on time, I won't take anyone who happens to get lucky and submit late orders before I've processed them.

That said, I wouldn't count on it, because most of the time I'll probably do orders right at the deadline. I just have finals and stuff this week, so... hooray grad school?

Typing up the builds now. Should be done in 15-30 depending on how quickly I want to bother to be.

Lady Serpentine
2011-11-28, 04:55 PM
Naples, reporting in. I'm open to alliances (so long as they don't conflict with my existing ones), so PM me if you're interested.

And I think I managed to zip a build order off fast enough once I got the second reminder PM (Gitp ate my subscription, so I missed the in-thread ones), so...Yay!

thewamp
2011-11-28, 05:19 PM
Winter 1900

The Story (If I decide to keep this up, this will be a rather silly section that will accompany my posts - I'll keep it strictly off game politics and almost exclusively in Switzerland. The stated intention is to use it to explain the "backstory," but the real intention is just to amuse myself):
Being a Swiss spy was not a particularly impressive job at the best of times. In these end times, it was hardly a job at all - merely a steady paycheck and a lot of free time. After all, since the federal council had disappeared into a retreat in the alps, so had the orders. Henry Martin was bored. He meandered down the cobble-stoned lane in the tiny town of Perroy staring at boarded up shops and boats chugging across the nearby lake. Snow was falling slowly be he ignored it - it wouldn't stick anyway.

He didn't know it, but his life was about to get very interesting.

There was a crash and a shout! A young man piled around the corner and straight into him. With wild eyes the man jumped up and kept running. Moments later he was followed by several soldiers. There were gunshots and the man collapsed. It was only then that Henry realized the man had stuffed a piece of paper into his hand. He opened it up and read (translated from French): "Find out what they don't want you to know. Every Friday night we meet at..." But the last few words were too smudged to read. Frowning, he smoothed out the paper and brought it with him back into his house as the soldiers carried the young man away.

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/208/chaosf1900borders.jpg
http://oi42.tinypic.com/20546x0.jpg

A-Ankara - Shular
Build A ank

B-Belgium - 101jir
Build F bel

C-Berlin - LTDave
NMR (No Moves Received) - Autobuild A ber

D-Brest - Salmon
build F bre

E-Budapest - Jamin
Build A bud

Illegal Order - Autobuild A bul

Build F con

H-Denmark - Niezck
Build F den

I-Edinburgh - Inanisvoid
Build F edi

J-Greece - Kalirren
Build A gre

K-Holland - Pelfaid
Build F hol

L-Kiel - Salzar
Build A kie

N-Liverpool - Chambers
Build F lvp

P-London - Makleveh
Build F lon

Q-Marsailles - Locus
Build A mar

R-Moscow - nolispe
Build A mos

S-Munich - Mael
Build A mun

T-Naples - C'nor
Build A nap

Build F nwy

V-Paris - Splynn
Build A par

Build A por

X-Rome - Deathslayer7
Build F rom

Y-Rumania - Murska
Build A rum

Z-Serbia - Fallout
NMR - Autobuild A ser

Build F sev

1-Smyrna - yugi24862
Build F smy

2-Spain - IcemanJRC
Build F spa/nc

Build A stp

4-Sweden - Vexen
Build F swe

Build A tri

6-Tunis - DMBlackhart
Build F tun

7-Venice - Mistral
Build A ven

8-Vienna - Dextral
NMR - Autobuild A vie

9-Warsaw - Eternis
Build A war

Spring 1901 Orders are due Monday 12/5 at 10pm PST
Reminder that I prefer orders be sent to giantitpdip (at) gmail (dot) com, but PMs will work if you must :smalltongue:

52.5 Lemons
2011-11-28, 05:59 PM
It appears that you are missing some builds one the map... Just pointing it out in case it was a mistake.

EDIT: It appears I was mistaken, I just couldn't see the symbols first time I checked.

Makleveh
2011-11-28, 06:06 PM
There are two maps. One has the submitted orders (with the little radar pings) and the other shows the final map as we will use for Spring 01, which includes the autoplaced NMR armies. Some of them are difficult to see due to the color of the power.

Niezck
2011-11-28, 06:11 PM
Could you post a list I can plug into jDip, Wamp?

thewamp
2011-11-28, 06:12 PM
Could you post a list I can plug into jDip, Wamp?

See that list of orders? You can plug it in.

Murska
2011-11-28, 06:13 PM
I wouldn't actually agree with Makleveh on avoiding lying. It's a pretty obvious sign to look for in messages sent to you, after all. Lying is something that's worth doing, but very sparingly. If you're going to betray someone in any case, feel free to lie to him if it helps you get rid of him faster.

As I always like to say, if Caesar hadn't been able to say his last words, history would've had a much better view of Brutus. So be thorough.

Niezck
2011-11-28, 06:16 PM
See that list of orders? You can plug it in.

Ah, my bad. Sorry!

thewamp
2011-11-28, 06:17 PM
Ah, my bad. Sorry!

Er, actually I may be mistaken - it's throwing some error for some reason. But if you get rid of the autobuilds and the lines with people's names, you should be good.

Makleveh
2011-11-28, 06:20 PM
I wouldn't actually agree with Makleveh on avoiding lying. It's a pretty obvious sign to look for in messages sent to you, after all. Lying is something that's worth doing, but very sparingly. If you're going to betray someone in any case, feel free to lie to him if it helps you get rid of him faster.

As I always like to say, if Caesar hadn't been able to say his last words, history would've had a much better view of Brutus. So be thorough.

Murska! Stop exposing all the bad advice I'm giving out to my opponents! :smalltongue:

4is111
2011-11-28, 06:29 PM
Any chance of changing some of the darker faction colors? I can hardly see the units in Denmark and Munich.

thewamp
2011-11-28, 06:30 PM
Any chance of changing some of the darker faction colors? I can hardly see the units in Denmark and Munich.

Unfortunately, no - I didn't choose any of the colors, it's just what this variant has plugged into it in jdip.

Zjoot
2011-11-28, 06:33 PM
Then I guess we'll just have to get rid of Denmark, Warsaw, and Munich ASAP to avoid confusion. :smalltongue:

(that was a joke, so nobody take it as serious strategy advice. I may or may not actually condone attacking said provinces. >.>)

TBFProgrammer
2011-11-28, 06:40 PM
So, how much time are we giving the three NMRs to get their act together and do we have replacements for them.

-Trieste, stuck in the middle with Budapest

thewamp
2011-11-28, 06:45 PM
Then I guess we'll just have to get rid of Denmark, Warsaw, and Munich ASAP to avoid confusion. :smalltongue:

Or we could upload a better quality image :smallwink:

So, how much time are we giving the three NMRs to get their act together and do we have replacements for them.

-Stuck in the middle with Budapest

48 hours and not yet, so if you know anyone who'd like to be on deck, get them to contact me.

Pelfaid
2011-11-28, 06:50 PM
Or some other person could lead their country into glorious conquest of the three countries. But I would never condone that sort of behavior so ignore me.

Holland

Niezck
2011-11-28, 07:04 PM
Huh, seems my PM inbox has been full for the past couple days. If anybody needed to send me anything in that time, please re-send it now. Should be plenty of space.

Vexen
2011-11-29, 04:22 PM
If at all possible, can you please include your country in the subject line for any PM's. I am having such fun trying to figure out who everyone is in this game.

IcemanJRC
2011-11-29, 09:35 PM
Man. It feels so good to see PORTUGAL building an army. Nice to know I'm safe from invasion . I wonder how this'll play out.

Kalirren
2011-11-29, 10:34 PM
Yeah, Spain, that's pretty rough. Best of luck.

Inanisvoid
2011-11-30, 09:31 AM
Gotta say, Spain, you are my friend right now. Whenever I feel like I am having a hard time figuring things out, I can think of you and feel all better. :smalltongue: Good luck, and may your state prosper!

Grue Bait
2011-11-30, 10:37 PM
Sorry to hear that, Spain. I'd offer to help, but, well, it would be a bit difficult

IcemanJRC
2011-11-30, 10:41 PM
Yes, woe is me and all. I think I can work this out though. The Grimmace seems well intentioned and I've got some ideas floating around, perhaps I can stick it out yet.

thewamp
2011-12-03, 01:45 AM
Hey guys, we have one or more spots open because one or more of those who NMRed in the building didn't respond to me. So again, if you know anyone else who might be interested, now's the time to drag them in.

Because I took several days more than I intended to (this week was finals for me), this may cause a 1-2 day delay. I know I've stated a policy of not making delays, but in this case I not only was slow on starting the hunt for new players but also, we'll have new players.

Basically there's no delays upon request and no waiting once the deadline is past, but I may occasionally decide that there's an exceptional circumstance. I'd like to give a new player more than 24 hours to get situated.

IcemanJRC
2011-12-03, 11:20 AM
Just a note, players will not be receiving a response from me(Spain) until Sunday night/Monday. I will be gone this weekend.

Inanisvoid
2011-12-03, 12:11 PM
Hey guys, we have one or more spots open because one or more of those who NMRed in the building didn't respond to me. So again, if you know anyone else who might be interested, now's the time to drag them in.

Because I took several days more than I intended to (this week was finals for me), this may cause a 1-2 day delay. I know I've stated a policy of not making delays, but in this case I not only was slow on starting the hunt for new players but also, we'll have new players.

Basically there's no delays upon request and no waiting once the deadline is past, but I may occasionally decide that there's an exceptional circumstance. I'd like to give a new player more than 24 hours to get situated.

Try shooting a PM over at Show... I don't know if he is interested, or if he has time, but it might be worth a shot... Up to you.

Inanisvoid
2011-12-03, 12:12 PM
Actually... I guess I shouldn't be adding more on your "to do list", should I? Seeing if he is interested is probably my job. Sorry.

thewamp
2011-12-03, 03:00 PM
TsukikoJ has taken over Vienna for Dextral. Direct communication to him!

EDIT: and so you all notice, the first post will always keep an updated list of players. If players drop they get struck out like Dextral. If players are eliminated I'll gray out their name

nolispe
2011-12-03, 04:09 PM
Could the first post potentially contain a current map, too? It would save us having to leaf through the whole thing, which could be great later on when the thread gets larger.

Shular
2011-12-03, 04:40 PM
Welcome, TsukikoJ! Hope we get a chance to work together as opposed to against each other this game.

Nolispe, normally I'd disagree about the map thing, but with a possible 33 people posting, I can see several pages occuring between maps, so it may be a resonable suggestion.

thewamp
2011-12-03, 04:48 PM
Could the first post potentially contain a current map, too? It would save us having to leaf through the whole thing, which could be great later on when the thread gets larger.

Yeah, sure (pretty much agreeing with Shular)

Just a reminder that orders are due in 2.5 days
With the potential for a 24-48 hour delay depending on if/when we fill the spots, because there is still at least one player who needs to be replaced.

TsukikoJ
2011-12-03, 10:48 PM
Thanks Shular! Yep - I'm open to negotiations through PM.

thewamp
2011-12-04, 02:48 PM
Silverlich has taken over Serbia for Fallout
I've offered him a 24 hour extension of orders if he'd like one, because I was slow on looking for replacements, so heads up on that.

Now go talk to him!

And of course the "mystery" of how many people I needed to replace is about to be solved, because I need one more replacement.

52.5 Lemons
2011-12-04, 04:59 PM
Did you get my spring 1901 orders? My email was acting a bit strange so I'm not sure if it went through.

thewamp
2011-12-04, 05:09 PM
Did you get my spring 1901 orders? My email was acting a bit strange so I'm not sure if it went through.

I got them twice in fact. :smallwink: No worries.

thewamp
2011-12-04, 10:47 PM
This is your 26 hour warning
Get them orders in

Mistral
2011-12-05, 10:35 AM

It'd also be convenient to include the most recent deadline as well. I didn't realize it was so soon; I must have forgotten. I could see a "utility post" that always contains the updated information, just for convenience's sake, being very useful here as well.

thewamp
2011-12-05, 04:32 PM
Yeah, this orders cycle, I'll do that Mistral.

----

Okay, so I'm officially an idiot - I sent out my 8ish hour warnings via PM and forgot to make the orders BCC instead of just sent, so some of you can see others who do not currently have orders in.

The reason I'm posting that here is to inform those of you who might think that's valuable information that more than half of the orders aren't in, which if last turn's order flow is any indication, isn't anything to be worried about. That is, this information you have is worth very little - people just like to send in orders at the last minute.

Sorry for the screwup. Finals week has me distracted.

101jir
2011-12-05, 04:45 PM
Yeah, this orders cycle, I'll do that Mistral.

----

Okay, so I'm officially an idiot - I sent out my 8ish hour warnings via PM and forgot to make the orders BCC instead of just sent, so some of you can see others who do not currently have orders in.

The reason I'm posting that here is to inform those of you who might think that's valuable information that more than half of the orders aren't in, which if last turn's order flow is any indication, isn't anything to be worried about. That is, this information you have is worth very little - people just like to send in orders at the last minute.

Sorry for the screwup. Finals week has me distracted.

Mine came in, right? Sorry if I'm pestering too much, I am always nervous I forgot something. Usually its nothing.

thewamp
2011-12-05, 04:59 PM
Mine came in, right? Sorry if I'm pestering too much, I am always nervous I forgot something. Usually its nothing.

Yes, they did. If you're nervous, just ask for confirmation when you send in the ordes. I'll respond to let you know that I've got them.

Zjoot
2011-12-05, 05:18 PM
So, what are you planning to do if a replacement for Berlin doesn't show up?

101jir
2011-12-05, 05:23 PM

I'll play him:smallbiggrin:

thewamp
2011-12-05, 05:52 PM

NMR him and hope to find a replacement next turn. Not much else we can do - can't hold up the whole game for 1/34 players.

Deathslayer7
2011-12-05, 06:07 PM
rather than an NMR, how about a completely random attack against one of his neighboring countries. :smallamused:

Who's feeling lucky!? :smalltongue:

thewamp
2011-12-05, 06:20 PM
rather than an NMR, how about a completely random attack against one of his neighboring countries. :smallamused:

Who's feeling lucky!? :smalltongue:

Nope. Diplomacy and luck do not go together.

101jir
2011-12-05, 08:40 PM
Hopefully we won't have to worry about NMRs so much once there are fewer players:smallamused:. :smallbiggrin:

DMBlackhart
2011-12-05, 10:05 PM
Not sure how this works so...

My Turn - GM's eyes only.

I move my one fleet into the ION

Zjoot
2011-12-05, 11:12 PM
Just noticed something. Why is the abbreviation missing for tys? Can you not move there in this variant or something?

Deathslayer7
2011-12-05, 11:22 PM
you can. Just something with the map.

Lady Serpentine
2011-12-06, 12:06 AM
Just a quick message to my allies, letting them know that, if they don't send me a reccomendation now for where they feel is most beneficial for all of us for me to send my army, I'm going to have do something semi-random, because I need to sleep and the hour and ten minute warning came in fifteen minutes or so ago.

thewamp
2011-12-06, 12:28 AM
By the way, in case anyone was staying up eagerly waiting for orders to be processed, I wouldn't. They'll be out sometime tonight but probably 3-4 hours after the deadline. It's finals week and stuff. Busy, busy, busy.

Deathslayer7
2011-12-06, 12:38 AM
doh! *Goes to do that project that is his final* :smalltongue:

thewamp
2011-12-06, 01:44 AM
Grytorm is taking over Berlin
But it's officially too late to postpone the deadline, I've decided.

Although that deadline is being "postponed" to whenever I finish this problem set. So probably a few hours more.

thewamp
2011-12-06, 06:47 AM
Alright, I know I said results would be tonight, but I'm way too tired right now. Results tomorrow... well, noonish probably.

Makleveh
2011-12-06, 10:02 AM
You college kids! Always doing problem sets late into the night and sleeping in til noon!

Grytorm
2011-12-06, 10:36 AM
Meh, it gives me enough time to blindly move my army. Any resulting moves this turn are not meant to be hostile. I only am doing because I doubt I have time for actual diplomacy.

101jir
2011-12-06, 11:24 AM
Not sure how this works so...

My Turn - GM's eyes only.

I move my one fleet into the ION

In the future, you may want to PM (or better yet, email) this to Thewamp. Accidents with spoilers are very easy to make, and this really is a game of taking every advantage you have anyway. I saw what your move was in posting this, but it doesn't matter as I just won't change my order or return any PMs until the move is complete, so it will have no effect on my playing.

thewamp
2011-12-06, 03:08 PM
Only during finals week, Makleveh

Spring 1901

The Story:
Three months ago a young man had died before his eyes, pressing a piece of paper into his hand and Henry Martin hadn't been able to get it out of his head. At first he'd thrown the paper away, or rather put it away for safekeeping so he wouldn't forget to throw it away later. Certainly, that was it. But after a month, he'd been unable to take the feeling of it sitting inside the top drawer of his bedside table, staring at him through the keyhole, so he'd taken it out.

"Find out what they don't want you to know. Every Friday night we meet at..." In any other time it would have sounded like conspiracy theory garbage. But times were so crazy and, well, given that the man who'd given it to him had died, there very well might be a "they".

His former life hadn't entirely deserted him he'd discovered and he even remembered a bit of the labwork. He'd snuck back into the lab of his old office one night, giving the tent cities a wide berth on his way there. And he'd added a bit of this and a bit of that and before long, a message was visible, clear as day. "Find out what they don't want you to know. Every Friday night we meet at Alice."

Okay, what the hell did that mean?

http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/7330/chaoss1901morders.png
http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/382/chaoss1901r.png

A-Ankara - Shular
A Ank S F Con - Smy

B-Belgium - 101jir
F Bel S F Lon - ENG

C-Berlin - Gyrtorm
A Ber - Kie

D-Brest - Salmon
F Bre - MAO

E-Budapest - Jamin
A Bud - Ser

A Bul S A Ank - Con

F Con - Bul/ec

H-Denmark - Niezck
F Den - Swe

I-Edinburgh - Inanisvoid
F Edi - NTH

J-Greece - Kalirren
A Gre S F Con - Bul/ec

K-Holland - Pelfaid
F Hol - Kie

L-Kiel - Salzar
A Kie - Ber

N-Liverpool - Chambers
F Lvp - IRI

P-London - Makleveh
F Lon - ENG

Q-Marsailles - Locus
A Mar - Gas

R-Moscow - nolispe
A Mos - Stp

S-Munich - Mael
A Mun S F Hol - Kie

T-Naples - C'nor
A Nap H

F Nwy S A Mos - Stp

V-Paris - Splynn
A Par H

A Por H

X-Rome - Deathslayer7
F Rom - TYS

Y-Rumania - Murska
A Rum S A Bul

Z-Serbia - Silverlich
NMR

F Sev - BLA

1-Smyrna - yugi24862
F Smy - Con

2-Spain - IcemanJRC
F Spa/nc H

A Stp H

4-Sweden - Vexen
F Swe - SKA

A Tri S A Bud - Ser

6-Tunis - DMBlackhart
F Tun - ION

7-Venice - Mistral
A Ven H

8-Vienna - TsukikoJ
A Vie S A Tri

9-Warsaw - Eternis
NMR

Retreats! Due by Wednesday at 10pm
Kiel's A Kie may disband or retreat to den, ruh
St. Petersburg's A Stp may disband or retreat to fin, lvn
Serbia's A Ser may disband or retreat to alb

Fall 1901 Orders are due Monday 12/12 at 10pm PST
Reminder that I prefer orders be sent to giantitpdip (at) gmail (dot) com, but PMs will work if you must :smalltongue:

Also, I entirely recommend doing press this game. With the number of you there are, it would be entertaining. If you want to see an example of a game that includes press in the thread (look after the Spring 1901 results), as well as a spectacular public meltdown by the Chinese player (it was a variant), check out this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35473)

The basic concept is that you write headlines and/or stories under the guise of some newspaper that you'd control either to poke fun at players (yourself, your enemies, your friends, whatever) or to make a statement about other powers in the game (whether or not these are actually your feelings). Mostly just be funny though, that's the point.

For any old hands at diplomacy who are unused to what press means on these boards, I'm not referring to the difference between playing the game "press" or "no press". Different and silly concept.

101jir
2011-12-06, 03:41 PM
Question: If a player does not want their first conquest to be considered a home SC, can they just not build on it to have it turned down as a home SC?

thewamp
2011-12-06, 04:03 PM
Question: If a player does not want their first conquest to be considered a home SC, can they just not build on it to have it turned down as a home SC?

Correct. The three home SCs are the first three you choose to build in. Obviously one is your starter home SC from Winter 1900, but the other two are just the next two you choose to build in.

Makleveh
2011-12-06, 04:18 PM
The London Times, Spring 1901

These headlines are examples!
Something in bold with a small followup!

Brits take to the sea!
Like rats from a sinking ship, not a single navy remains on the Isles!

Panic Domes vacated in the East!
Hundreds groan as Makleveh continues to beat this dead horse! Thousands more left in the dark!

Iberia landlocked!
Portuguese, Spanish have nowhere to go!

Little known fact: Unlike contemporary newspapers, the turn-of-the-century Belgium Herald featured advice columns that asked questions for the readers to answer, instead of the other way around! :smalltongue:

Murska
2011-12-06, 04:25 PM
Highlight of the Day

The brave Rumanian Army has managed to defend their trusted neighbours the Bulgarians against a perfidious attack by both the Greeks and the Turks. After a fierce battle, the city remains unconquered.

101jir
2011-12-06, 04:53 PM
Little known fact: Unlike contemporary newspapers, the turn-of-the-century Belgium Herald featured advice columns that asked questions for the readers to answer, instead of the other way around! :smalltongue:

:smalltongue:. My article will be in as always, but I have only a couple hours to start my bibliography for a paper. Mine will probably be in tomorrow, depending on how busy I am.

EDIT: Hey Chambers, should we say that you're Irish? That would be cool, we could say that Ireland launched an all out assault on Liverpool and the rest.

Chambers
2011-12-06, 05:05 PM
EDIT: Hey Chambers, should we say that you're Irish? That would be cool, we could say that Ireland launched an all out assault on Liverpool and the rest.

Sorry, already have an IC persona. :smallsmile: I'll post press either today or tomorrow.

Grue Bait
2011-12-06, 06:17 PM
What do all those X's around me mean?

@VThanks!

thewamp
2011-12-06, 06:18 PM
What do all those X's around me mean?

A red X indicates that an order failed. This can be because support was cut, a move bounced, a unit was dislodged, to name a few.

Vexen
2011-12-06, 06:31 PM
No Fish for You
Swedish fishing fleets set sail to gather the much coveted Swedish fish in the Skagerak, only to have their homes invaded by the treacherous Danes. Swedish sailors have sworn their revenge raising the call of "Death to Denmark".

Grytorm
2011-12-06, 08:06 PM
Greetings from Berlin

Our government has been through rough waters lately. We apologize for our recent silence, and will be willing to renegotiate any bargains made with our democratically elected predecessor. May your country live a thousand years, and may our borders never meet.

Signed,
Admiral Jaela Bunuelo

TBFProgrammer
2011-12-06, 09:40 PM
Continued Unrest in Siberia leads to occupation from Northern powers
Budapest and The Guild of Trieste released a joint statement Yesterday in support of Governor Silverlich's bid for power in Siberia. However, when their troops arrived to assist in installing him as warlord, the Governor was nowhere to be found. The Guild has withdrawn to investigate their sources, fearing a misinformation campaign, while Jamin's troops remained to keep the peace.

Tunis left vulnerable, Roman sailors take advantage
In a surprising turn of events, Tunisian fleets ignored the Italian peninsula, leaving their homeland accessible to the Romans.

Chaos in Turkey
Despite the appearance of a unified Turkish front earlier in the year, armies clashed all over Turkey in a bid for control of the once powerful Ottoman Empire.

101jir
2011-12-06, 10:32 PM
The Belgian Herald

Admiral Goossens discharged!President de Smet announced today that in light of the most recent order failure, and his coarse remarks about the Balkans, Admiral Goossens has been discharged. "He has put our homeland in jeopardy more than once, despite his good intentions. We cannot allow him to continually make things more difficult for us."

Brest defeated in one year!the government of Brest, who had declared war on us earlier this year, has been entirely destroyed, much to the celebration of the Belgian people! Yesterday, the English fleet sailed in with great fanfare from the neighboring governments of Paris and Marsaille. Intending to find one final stronghold, they attempted to move into Spain, who had been attacked also by competing Portugese forces. In the end, no change was made between the Spanish and Portugese forces, and government of Brest was denied a stronghold. It is indeed a great day, and if it weren't for fears of Dutch expansion on our boarder, there would be parades and dancing in the streets!

Moscow to take over Russia soon!
After the defeat of St. Petersberg last spring, the city-state of Moscow is well positioned to finish off Warsaw and St. Petersberg. At this stage, it is difficult to determine how this might affect world politics, but it seems that Russia is now positioned to be a major power in the world when this chaos is over.

Turkish states still in disharmonyThe city-states of Ankarah, Constantinople, and Smyrna are still unable to design a strategy to end the pointless warring that is continually causeing them to fail to expand. There is much war and blood for little gain, a sad tragedy. Meanwhile, the City-State of Bulgaria has brutally betrayed their northern neighbors, who bravely sacrificed their own soldiers for Bulgaria's defense this spring. President de Smet referred to this incident as a "horror" that "must come to an end."

Last Spring's issues may not be availableDue to an unfortunate record keeping failure, it seems that our issue from last spring has been misplaced. This valuable piece of history may unfortunately become lost to time indefinately. The Belgian Herald is deeply grieved at this unfortunate event.

Zjoot
2011-12-06, 11:25 PM
Excellent Teamwork Shown in European Affairs
England and Austria's displays of coordination in stark contrast to conflict in Russia, Germany, and Turkey.

Knowledge is Power
King Francisco content to sit and watch for the time being.

World Cup Not Rescheduled, in Spite of War
Government leaders pinkie promise not to send spy's disguised as athletes.

nolispe
2011-12-06, 11:49 PM
Moscow gloriously pre-emptively defends itself against threat to all Europe!
The people are cheering on the streets even now, as the news comes in that the heroic moscovite forces have recaptured the old capital. In a speech from the Winter Palace, Alexis D'Ashkemprov declared that
"Today marks a glorious new chapter in the history of Europe! With support from the brave Norwegians, the people of St Petersburg have thrown off the chains of the tsarist forces!"
This paper, at least, regards D'Ashkemprov as a lviing saint for his actions to bring liberty to northern Russia.

Elections delayed indefinitely
Due to the unfortunate emergency, new elections will not be held for the forseeable future. Naturally, the people will accept this happily, as it is clear to all impartial observers that the incumbent would win overwhelmingly anyway.

Balkans "Pretty much nuts"
In a recent broadcast, the Balkans were declared to be insane anyway, in the same broadcast in which our somewhat drunk editor, who also set a new world record for racial slurs/sentence rates, at over four thousand. This has naturally triggered a spike in complaints to this paper from the balkan residents, but the Editor pays our checks, so suck it up.

Italy Confusing
Our war correspondent in Italy noted the startling absence of war. This has been judged outrageous, and several organisations have now lodged an offical complaint.

Newspaper's Pizza budget blown
Somehow, we managed to expend the food budged for the city of Moscow on Pizza. As such, control over Moscow is expected to be dodgy in the future.

Pelfaid
2011-12-07, 12:47 AM
Enigmatic "Baron" Maintains Stability
Reports have come in that a man only calling himself the Baron has taken control of Holland and has enforced stability with a wooden shoe. Concern abounds over the lack of a home guard but the Baron has guaranteed the safety of the dikes.

Dutch glad they are not Balkan
Interviews with people on the street shows that the Dutch agree with the rest of Europe in thinking that the Balkan region is insane as well as expressing gladness that peace is still the norm in Holland.

Grytorm
2011-12-07, 01:21 AM
Traitors Spread Seditious Rumors of Admiral Jaela's Nationality
Surviving members of he old government level accusations that the glorious leader is Spanish

Constantinople Declares War on Self
A local resident stated "Well everyone else has done it, so why not us?"

New Government Begins Sues for Peace War
When asked who with high ranking government officials have alternatively stated with everyone or with Mordor. Rumor has it that we have entered into negotiation with all neighboring countries and Switzerland.

thewamp
2011-12-07, 01:31 AM
Excerpt from the Geneva Radio Blast (in French, of course)
Ambassadors from Berlin came looking for government officials to reach peace with. From within our bunker we saw them turned away by several of the Swiss Guard. We could not follow up on the story however, as it was after curfew.

Live from Geneva, I'm Jacques McGuire, speaking for the rest of us.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-12-07, 05:12 PM
Norge Herald
General Asmund has taken with dealing with the remnants of Russian forces on the official stance that "No blood be between Scandinavians." When asked by a on his opinions of the encroaching foreign fleets in the early Spring, Asmund stated briefly that "The Limes [sic] will swim as an sailor would in the cold North Sea."

Niezck
2011-12-07, 05:38 PM
Copenhagen News - Denmark declares war on Sweden
When questioned about the recent hostile actions toward Sweden, the government's official reply was simply "We received intelligence they were planning to attack us, this was a pre-emptive strike."

Critics say that the recent attacks were motivated by greed and fear in these uncertain times, and that no amount of intelligence can justify a pre-emptive strike. The government refused to comment.

Locus
2011-12-07, 09:47 PM
“The plague was sent to cleanse us!” an elderly man in tattered robes on the corner preached, not to anyone in particular. “The wicked and unjust have been found wanting and purged!”

Jean tucked his head lower and retreated into his hood to avoid eye contact as he walked by. The man's piercing exclamations somehow weren't muted by the spring breeze blowing in off the Mediterranean. In fact, Jean was certain he could even hear the clattering of the man's brittle fingerbones as he waggled and pointed at everyone who passed.

It chilled him. The bodies still lined the streets of every town and village from Marseilles to Avignon. It had taken him almost a week to hike the route, with little more than the clothes he was wearing and whatever he could scrounge along the way.

At first, they had tried to wait it out. The Abbey was a haven for the survivors and uninfected, and they had barred the doors and prayed for the victims. A bitter winter helped- at least it eased the suffering of those outside the walls. But when the spring came, and the wails of the unfortunate once again began to assault the walls. It proved to be more than the abbot could take- as a human and a Christian. Just after dawn on Easter Sunday, he had flung open the gates and allowed the wretched in. Jean had barely escaped with, he hoped, his life.

Down one street and up another Jean walked, following the sounds of church bells until he found it. Lo Palais dei Papas. The Palace of the Popes. And now, apparently, the head of Catholic Church. They had received the pigeons at the Abbey of Saint Victor, proclaiming the rise of the Second Avignon Papacy and the return of the Holy See to French soil. The Joannan Cult (which no-one at the Abbey had ever heard of) had taken advantage of the political climate to seize power in the city and install their own pope, Clement XV- Bishop of Avignon, Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of the Apostles, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, Primate of France, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Avignon Province, Sovereign of the State of Avignon, Servant of the Servants of God.

Jean had to see it for himself.

There were armed guards outside the Palace, and men bustling all over the street. The buildings for many streets appeared to have been commandeered and full of bureaucrats and generals. Priests and soldiers mingled, and Jean could scarcely believe this was all happening.

“Jean! Jean, is that you?” A hand caught his shoulder and turned him around.

“Frederic? I haven't see you since our time in Séminaire Marseille.” The two men embraced, and Jean pulled away quickly. “What is all this? What's going on?”

Frederic laughed, “Isn't this grand? Were you around on Monday? Did you see the Pope bless the army?”

“No, my friend. I have only just arrived today from Marseilles. You could say I am following a pigeon on a prayer.” Jean smiled sheepishly.

“Well, let us get you cleaned up then. There are some people I'd like you to meet, and I'm sure they'd appreciate what news you have of Marseilles.”

Locus will be now playing Pope Clement XV, Temporal Ruler of the Avignon Papacy. Please address your correspondences accordingly.

Kalirren
2011-12-07, 10:47 PM
Greek Junta Lashes Out

Following the collapse of the euro currency, the military regime that has recently taken over Greece's government has been encouraging domestic military growth in order to provide economic stimulus and alleviate growing concerns about unemployment and falling tourism revenue. This military buildup finally came to a head this past season, which saw much activity from Greek troops on the northern border.

The Greco-Turkish military alliance has so far failed to secure success against Bulgaria due to the intervention of Rumanian military forces. Greek officials declined to comment substantively on the diplomatic situation, commenting only that the resolution of tensions in Cyprus had opened more doors than it had closed.

Vexen
2011-12-08, 10:28 AM
Kiel's A Kie may disband or retreat to den, ruh
St. Petersburg's A Stp may disband or retreat to fin, lvn
Serbia's A Ser may disband or retreat to alb

Did we get any retreats?

101jir
2011-12-08, 11:19 AM
Notice: I don't know how available I will be this weekend. Please try and contact me by Friday (is it Monday night that orders are due?)

thewamp
2011-12-08, 02:26 PM
Did we get any retreats?

Whoa, sorry about that. I had that post all ready to go and was waiting for 10pm and then apparently got distracted or something. In any case...

Summer 1901

No story because it's just summer

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/2977/chaosf1901m.png

A stp - lvn
A kie - den
A ser - alb (I'm in discussion with someone who may take over serbia - this was not given by the current player of serbia. If you have a problem with this, let me know. The problem of course being the new player of serbia couldn't take over until I confirmed the old one was gone which was after retreats)

TBFProgrammer
2011-12-08, 02:39 PM
As one of the players most likely to be affected, I am fine with it provided the new player actually joins* the game by the end of Tomorrow.

Not being able to talk with Serbia, but still having to account for its movements is the main reason it was attacked so quickly in the first place. There is no way for anyone to make much progress in the Balkans while that condition persists.

*Posts in the thread or starts sending out PMs, not just a statement that they will be taking over Serbia.

Kalirren
2011-12-08, 07:43 PM
I'm in the same boat. I'm fine with it as long as Serbia actually moves. Trieste and I are the two most likely to suffer for it, and Trieste has assented. I think it's thematically appropriate to this game that no unit should just vanish.

thewamp
2011-12-08, 09:13 PM
Well good news then: Spate is here to take over Serbia

(And he seems responsive)

Spate
2011-12-08, 10:30 PM
Serbian Government reformed in Exile

In the outskirts of Tirana, apparently the exiled Serbian forces have chosen a new leader. They drew straws, and General Spate lost. He had this to say,

"While the previous fearless leader of Serbia has abandoned us, know good people of Serbia that I will restore the rightful law and order. After this terrible plague, you will not have to fear dominion from foreign forces. We are coming, and we are coming in force!"

This is Suela Thaqi, Tirana Times.

thewamp
2011-12-10, 01:56 PM
This is your 60 hour warning

Cause we do those now, just cause there's so many of you.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-12-11, 02:31 AM
Soon comes the end to some great nations. Soon comes the second year of this atrocious war. Best of luck all, hopefully we don't have players disappear on us again.

Although we're all enemies, I wish you all the best of luck. After all, no sense we can't e civil.:smallsmile:

101jir
2011-12-11, 12:55 PM
Soon comes the end to some great nations. Soon comes the second year of this atrocious war. Best of luck all, hopefully we don't have players disappear on us again.

Although we're all enemies, I wish you all the best of luck. After all, no sense we can't e civil.:smallsmile:

Well, that and considering that most of us will never have to deal with most of the other players due to geography:smalltongue:

thewamp
2011-12-12, 01:37 AM
This is your 24 hour warning

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-12-12, 05:25 AM
Well, that and considering that most of us will never have to deal with most of the other players due to geography:smalltongue:

You never know. We could get something like a darkhorse Balkan state jump over to the Iberian through a comedy of errors before claiming "home." That or one of the British powers circumnavigates Europe via water ways. This is Diplomacy, after all.:smallbiggrin:

Mistral
2011-12-12, 10:23 AM
You never know. We could get something like a darkhorse Balkan state jump over to the Iberian through a comedy of errors before claiming "home."

So that's why there are two Iberias (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_Iberia) and two Albanias (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_Albania)...the things you learn from Diplomacy. :smallwink:

Makleveh
2011-12-12, 11:24 AM
That or one of the British powers circumnavigates Europe via water ways. This is Diplomacy, after all.:smallbiggrin:

Challenge accepted.

52.5 Lemons
2011-12-12, 06:49 PM
Did you recieve my orders mr. Wamp?

thewamp
2011-12-12, 07:30 PM
Did you recieve my orders mr. Wamp?

Check your email.

Sidenote: in general, if you're ever worried if I received your orders, please just ask for confirmation when you submit your orders. Eg "A xxx - xxx, and can I get confirmation on that?" Much better to do that than clutter up this thread.

Inanisvoid
2011-12-12, 10:54 PM
Challenge accepted.

I feel like all three of us should do it. Purely for spite.
I am joking of course. Or am I?

thewamp
2011-12-13, 03:43 AM
Fall 1901

The Story:
Henry's footsteps thudded softly in the dirt as he walked down the tunnel, toward, he was sure, ALICE. It had taken months of searching, but he'd finally discovered them. There was a group of scientists in France and Switzerland who had vanished just before the virus had spread and this insanity had started and all the information he'd gathered pointed to a project called ALICE.

The tunnel ended quite suddenly as it rounded a bend, in a door. Frowning, he knocked twice, the sound dying even as his fist hit the wood.

For a long while nothing happened. After a moment, nothing continued to happen. Growing discouraged, he kicked the door, hard. It must have been less sturdy than it seemed because his foot went right through it. Shrugging, he began to widen the hole until he could finally squeeze through.

What he found was terrifying. An enormous tunnel made of metal curved slowly out of sight in either direction. Down the center of it ran a metallic tube with blue rings upon it. His jaw slowly dropped.

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/3671/chaosf1901morders.png
http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/1357/chaosf1901b.png
The second map is shown after the retreat phase (see below for why we can skip over that)

A-Ankara - Shular
A Ank - Con

B-Belgium - 101jir
A Ruh S A Hol - Kie
(Illegal order, no such unit, hold issued)

C-Berlin - Gyrtorm
A Ber - Kie

D-Brest - Salmon
F MAO - Spa

E-Budapest - Jamin
A Ser S A Alb - Gre

A Bul S F BLA - Rum

F Con - Smy

H-Denmark - Niezck
F Swe - Nwy

I-Edinburgh - Inanisvoid
F NTH S F Bel - Hol

J-Greece - Kalirren
A Gre S A Alb - Ser

K-Holland - Pelfaid
F Kie S A Mun - Ber

L-Kiel - Salzar
A Den - Kie

N-Liverpool - Chambers
F IRI - MAO

P-London - Makleveh
F ENG - Bre

Q-Marsailles - Locus
A Gas S F ENG - Bre

R-Moscow - nolispe
A Stp - Mos

S-Munich - Mael
A Mun - Ber

T-Naples - C'nor
NMR

F Nwy S F Swe

V-Paris - Splynn
A Par S F ENG - Bre

A Por - Spa

X-Rome - Deathslayer7
F TYS - Tun

Y-Rumania - Murska
A Rum - Sev

Z-Serbia - Spate
A Ser S A Alb - Gre

F BLA - Rum

1-Smyrna - yugi24862
F Smy - Con

2-Spain - IcemanJRC
F Spa/nc S A Por

A Lvn - Mos

4-Sweden - Vexen
F SKA S F Swe - Nwy

A Tri - Vie

6-Tunis - DMBlackhart
F ION - Gre

7-Venice - Mistral
A Ven - Rom

8-Vienna - TsukikoJ
A Vie - Bud

9-Warsaw - Eternis
A War - Gal

Retreats!
F Nwy Disbands (in actuality, you have the option of retreating and then disbanding during the build phase, but as there's no actual difference, I'm simplifying things)

Builds! Due by Wednesday at 10pm
Trieste may build 1
Venice may build 1
Holland may build 1
London may build 1
Moscow may build 1
St. Petersburg disbands A Lvn
Tunis disbands F ION
Brest disbands F MAO

Dearly Departed (29 players left)
4is111 - St. Petersburg
DMBlackhart - Tunis
Salmon - Brest
Kalirren - Greece
Thrice Dead Cat - Norway

To those leaving, third quick things. First, either Makleveh is going to or I am going to be running a game of standard diplomacy starting soonish once a handful more people are eliminated. So stick around if you're interested. Second, as much as you may want to, please don't post in this thread now that you're eliminated, beyond a simple and content-free goodbye message if you like. Similarly, don't PM anyone about the game. Third, and sort of the flip side of that coin, it is cool to hear everyone's stories once the game ends. So once everything's over, people will write End of Game Reports, which are basically just "what really happened" from your perspective - how the game went, what happened, who you talked to, etc. If you're worried you'll forget, feel free to write up your thoughts and email or PM them to me and I can save them till the end of the game.

Spring 1902 Orders are due Monday 12/19 at 10pm PST
Reminder that I prefer orders be sent to giantitpdip (at) gmail (dot) com, but PMs will work if you must.

Murska
2011-12-13, 09:34 AM
Jeesh. I knew Sevastopol was going to betray me but Bulgaria? After I saved your life just last turn without any benefit for myself?

That one was a shock. :smallfrown:

TBFProgrammer
2011-12-13, 11:39 AM
Kurt von Programmer still alive
The Guild of Trieste breached their treaty with Viennan officials last October, after hearing that an Austrian noble might still be alive in Vienna. Forces sent to Vienna rescued Kurt von Programmer from a Viennan prison Yesterday evening.

Recruitment efforts pick up steam in wake of military success
The overwhelming success of Trieste campaigns this past year, including the discovery of a legitimate Austrian noble has boosted faith in the military. Recruitment is up and a second battalion is being formed.

Tri will build an army, please.

Shular
2011-12-13, 11:42 AM
Jeesh. I knew Sevastopol was going to betray me but Bulgaria? After I saved your life just last turn without any benefit for myself?

That one was a shock. :smallfrown:

Perhaps he didn't want a neighbour getting a second build (he'd know you were going to get Sev, even if by retreating), but yeah, a little surprising.

101jir
2011-12-13, 12:12 PM
You guys in the Balkans and Turkey are all crazy:smalltongue:

Pelfaid
2011-12-13, 12:39 PM
Celebration in Holland
The Baron has declared a national day of celebration following the successful year of campaigning stating that more conquests will follow soon to expand the glory of the Holland.

Government Source Reports
A government official who wishes to remain anonymous spoke to us today about the formation of a battalion of infantry in the homeland. The Baron's ministers denied the formation of any such force and condemned those who would betray the Baron by speaking out.

Vexen
2011-12-13, 01:03 PM
You guys in the Balkans and Turkey are all crazy:smalltongue:

says the man making orders for imaginary troops

101jir
2011-12-13, 01:06 PM
The Belgian Herald

Admiral Goossens discharged!President de Smet announced today that in light of the most recent order failure, and his coarse remarks about the Balkans, Admiral Goossens has been discharged. "He has put our homeland in jeopardy more than once, despite his good intentions. We cannot allow him to continually make things more difficult for us."

Brest defeated in one year!the government of Brest, who had declared war on us earlier this year, has been entirely destroyed, much to the celebration of the Belgian people! Yesterday, the English fleet sailed in with great fanfare from the neighboring governments of Paris and Marsaille. Intending to find one final stronghold, they attempted to move into Spain, who had been attacked also by competing Portugese forces. In the end, no change was made between the Spanish and Portugese forces, and government of Brest was denied a stronghold. It is indeed a great day, and if it weren't for fears of Dutch expansion on our boarder, there would be parades and dancing in the streets!

Moscow to take over Russia soon!
After the defeat of St. Petersberg last spring, the city-state of Moscow is well positioned to finish off Warsaw and St. Petersberg. At this stage, it is difficult to determine how this might affect world politics, but it seems that Russia is now positioned to be a major power in the world when this chaos is over.

Turkish states still in disharmonyThe city-states of Ankarah, Constantinople, and Smyrna are still unable to design a strategy to end the pointless warring that is continually causeing them to fail to expand. There is much war and blood for little gain, a sad tragedy. Meanwhile, the City-State of Bulgaria has brutally betrayed their northern neighbors, who bravely sacrificed their own soldiers for Bulgaria's defense this spring. President de Smet referred to this incident as a "horror" that "must come to an end."

Last Spring's issues may not be availableDue to an unfortunate record keeping failure, it seems that our issue from last spring has been misplaced. This valuable piece of history may unfortunately become lost to time indefinately. The Belgian Herald is deeply grieved at this unfortunate event.

101jir
2011-12-13, 01:08 PM
says the man making orders for imaginary troops:smalltongue:. True. Those orders were supposed to be for FLAB. This really complicates things in both games now, as everyone in FLAB is also in Chaos. Things are getting so awkward for me now, as those weren't even supposed to be in yet:smallredface:.

Inanisvoid
2011-12-13, 01:37 PM
The Edinburgh Post

The Baron of Edinburgh could barely contain his anger this past winter, after the current general of Belgium seems to have fallen off the deep end of the crazy pool. Now, Negotiations in with the mainland are at a standstill...

Lady Serpentine
2011-12-13, 04:36 PM
Oops.... I thought I'd sent you my orders before I went to sleep. Sorry for the hiccup in our plans, all. :smallfrown::smallredface::smalleek:

Monday, Oct. 3

The Naples Herald

War Effort in Jeopardy

Plans are in a shambles today, due to the king's sleep deprivation leading him to fail to give his orders to the courier assigned to deliver them to General Mondgesegnet.

Relations with our allies are expected to deteriorate as a result, and plans have been made for his abdication in favor of a more fit candidate should the problem continue.

General Mondgesegnet On Leave

General Kiran Mondgesegnet requested an extended leave on Thursday, due to personal reasons involving the health of a friend; he was unable to perform his duties and ensure she recieved proper care. This was granted early today, and his duties will be taken over by his second-in-command, Anarya Nachtstieg, until he s able to return to command.

We at the Herald would like to extend our sincere well wishes to General Mondgesegnet and his friend, and wish Acting General Nachtstieg the best of luck in her new command.

Monday, Oct. 3

The Naples Herald

Betrayed by Rome?

Acting General Nachtstieg informed us a few hours after our first printing that Roman troops were not in position to carry out the plan agreed on, even had the king sent General Mondgesegnet (who had, at that time, not yet been granted leave) the orders.

A full explanation has been called for, but more details were not available as of this printing.

Zjoot
2011-12-13, 06:21 PM
Now that Brest is gone I wonder if the so called "CEU" will continue to function. :smallamused: Probably not, but I guess we can wait and see.

Eternis
2011-12-13, 06:31 PM
Hello, I'm Rudolf here on the New Public Radio Station with a message of hope.
Our leader, Petyr, is on the mend after a debilitating illness he has been hiding from us for years. Even while practically starved, he has managed to lead us all this time.
We have recovered, at long last, our lost territories in Galicia, and not a moment to soon. With the Muscovites conquering Russia, we'll need all our resources to halt his advance.
Now, on to Heather with the weather...

101jir
2011-12-13, 06:33 PM
Now that Brest is gone I wonder if the so called "CEU" will continue to function. :smallamused: Probably not, but I guess we can wait and see.

Yeah, I think he was just absolutely crazy. So far, it looks like half the powers are epic, the other half are psycotic:smalltongue:.

Splynn
2011-12-13, 08:40 PM
Yeah, I think he was just absolutely crazy. So far, it looks like half the powers are epic, the other half are psycotic:smalltongue:.

I am obviously one of the epic powers. :smallcool:

101jir
2011-12-13, 08:47 PM
I am obviously one of the epic powers. :smallcool:

Well, I do have to hand it to you. Although it didn't require much movement on your part, I am sure it was very helpful for you to get Brest off your back. Honestly, the impression that I got is that every one of Brest's neighbor's feels better not having a loose cannon like Brest nearby:smallbiggrin:.

Grytorm
2011-12-14, 10:49 AM
We are allowed to claim two new home supply centers, Right? Or am I wrong.

thewamp
2011-12-14, 01:28 PM
We are allowed to claim two new home supply centers, Right? Or am I wrong.

Correct, sort of. You don't claim them ahead of time, it's just the next two new supply centers you choose to build in.

Grytorm
2011-12-14, 07:44 PM
Bulgarian Generals to be Crucified

The Generals Larry, Curly and Moe, formerly thought to have been defectors from Bulgaria now revealed traitors will be crucified over the winter. Admiral Jaela sends to Rame for advice on procedures.

101jir
2011-12-14, 11:21 PM
Bulgarian Generals to be Crucified

The Generals Larry, Curly and Moe, formerly thought to have been defectors from Bulgaria now revealed traitors will be crucified over the winter. Admiral Jaela sends to Rame for advice on procedures.

Wait, what? I am confused.:smallconfused:. My best two guesses are that either you are talking about traitors from Bulgaria or that they are traitors?

Grytorm
2011-12-14, 11:53 PM
It is kind of a poorly written joke. The invasion of Holland was a disaster and looked kind of like the Balkans. Thus blaming it on
generals supposedly in charge of operations for the failure.

101jir
2011-12-15, 12:03 AM
It is kind of a poorly written joke. The invasion of Holland was a disaster and looked kind of like the Balkans. Thus blaming it on
generals supposedly in charge of operations for the failure.

I see. :smalltongue:

thewamp
2011-12-15, 01:45 AM
Winter 1901

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/108/chaoss1902m.png

Retreats
Norway disbands F Nwy

Builds
Brest disbands F MAO
Holland builds F Hol
London builds F Lon
Moscow builds A Mos
St. Petersburg disbands A Lvn
Trieste builds A Tri
Tunis disbands F ION
Venice builds F Ven

Mistral
2011-12-15, 10:49 AM
Hmmm, that's weird. thewamp, did you not receive my second PM with a new set of build orders for A Ven?

thewamp
2011-12-15, 11:52 AM
Hmmm, that's weird. thewamp, did you not receive my second PM with a new set of build orders for A Ven?

Just checked and no, I didn't get a second PM, but forward me what you sent and I'll take a look at it.

However, there was a mistake. A Hol should be F Hol. I'm busy at the moment, but I'll update the maps later today. Sorry about that Pelfaid.

Mistral
2011-12-15, 11:58 AM
Just checked and no, I didn't get a second PM, but forward me what you sent and I'll take a look at it.

However, there was a mistake. A Hol should be F Hol. I'm busy at the moment, but I'll update the maps later today. Sorry about that Pelfaid.

I just checked my Sent Items folder, and it doesn't look like I actually sent the thing, whether it was a forum error or just me being distracted for the last few days. Sorry about that, but since it's my fault, I'll have to figure something out. >_<

thewamp
2011-12-15, 01:27 PM
The Holland issue is fixed now.

101jir
2011-12-15, 01:52 PM
Are orders due Monday? Hopefully negotiations speed up a little, but I am considering putting in a request to delay, if it is OK or others suggest it as well.

Vexen
2011-12-15, 02:28 PM
I would rather that no delay occur, unless there is a specific reason for it. Such as illness, holidays, delay in maps or orders posted, etc.

thewamp
2011-12-15, 02:30 PM
Are orders due Monday? Hopefully negotiations speed up a little, but I am considering putting in a request to delay, if it is OK or others suggest it as well.

Orders are due Monday and unless we get like half the players looking for an extension, that's not an option - like I said back in the recruiting post, allowing delays any time any of the (now 29) players asks for one will just slow us down too much

Deathslayer7
2011-12-15, 02:34 PM
I would prefer Monday the 19th, then allow for leeway over the Holidays.

Make them due, say December 27th (which is a Tuesday). Over even later if there are retreats.

thewamp
2011-12-17, 07:06 PM
I would prefer Monday the 19th, then allow for leeway over the Holidays.

Make them due, say December 27th (which is a Tuesday). Over even later if there are retreats.

Retreats don't really do much to delay the game, but that's a good idea, giving some extra time around the holidays.

In any case,
This is your 54 hour warning
Cause I forgot to do it at 60 hours.

101jir
2011-12-18, 11:30 PM
I apologize for my lack of response and full PM box. Everything is cleared out now. I will try to be on top of things, and I can certainly make the next move. Christmas vacation will be more busy than I anticipated, and I request that a replacement is on deck, in case I have to announce leaving the game. I would hate for that to have to happen, but it might. So far, it looks like I might just be able to muddle through. I will try to make it at least past these diplomatically complicated parts, I would hate for anyone to have to take over now. Possibly (though hopefully not) in the future.

thewamp
2011-12-19, 12:52 AM
This is your 24 hour warning
Get them orders in.

thewamp
2011-12-20, 02:00 PM
Spring 1902

The Story:
The metal tunnel was an enormous loop. He'd walked completely around it - an extremely long day - looking for other doors in because surely his couldn't be the only wooden door leading into this strange tunnel. But in his time exploring this tunnel his was the only wooden door he found.

He'd kept his eyes open for people though, but ALICE was nowhere to be found. Perhaps this tunnel was ALICE, but if so, where was the group that met here? And how had they found this place?

It was months later when, wandering around this enormous loop, he suddenly ran into a pair of children. He stood there for a second, frozen in surprise and they did the same. Then they sprinted away while he stood with a stupid expression on his face, watching them go.

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/8079/chaoss1902morders.png
http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/3756/chaoss1902r.png

A-Ankara - Shular
A Ank S F Con - Smy

B-Belgium - 101jir
F Bel S F Lon - NTH

C-Berlin - Gyrtorm
A Ber S A Den - Kie

E-Budapest - Jamin
A Ser S A Tri

A Bul H

F Con H

H-Denmark - Niezck
F Nwy - Swe

I-Edinburgh - Inanisvoid
F NTH - Bel

K-Holland - Pelfaid
F Hol S F NTH - Bel
F Kie S A Mun - Ber

L-Kiel - Salzar
A Den - Kie

N-Liverpool - Chambers
F IRI - MAO

P-London - Makleveh
F Bre - Gas
F Lon - NTH

Q-Marsailles - Locus
A Gas - Mar

R-Moscow - nolispe
A Stp - Lvn
A Mos S F Rum - Sev

S-Munich - Mael
A Mun - Ber

T-Naples - C'nor
A Nap - Apu

V-Paris - Splynn
A Par H

A Por - Spa

X-Rome - Deathslayer7
F Tun - TYS

Y-Rumania - Murska
F Sev - Rum

Z-Serbia - Spate
A Gre H

F Rum - Sev

1-Smyrna - yugi24862
NMR

2-Spain - IcemanJRC
F Spa/nc H

4-Sweden - Vexen
F SKA S F Nth - Swe

A Tri S A Vie
A Vie S A Tri

7-Venice - Mistral
F Ven - ADR
A Rom - Ven

8-Vienna - TsukikoJ
NMR

9-Warsaw - Eternis
A Gal - War

Rumania A Sev may disband or retreat to Ukr, Arm
Belgium F Bel may disband or retreat to ENG, Pic

Fall 1902 Orders are due Tuesday 12/27 at 10pm PST
Reminder that I prefer orders be sent to giantitpdip (at) gmail (dot) com, but PMs will work if you must.

Murska
2011-12-20, 02:04 PM
Constant harassment. Whatever have I done this game?

I'll retreat to Armenia.

EDIT: Also, poor Warsaw is so doomed.

101jir
2011-12-20, 03:58 PM
Wait, we went from Winter 1901 to Fall 1901? I think you need to correct that:smalltongue:

thewamp
2011-12-20, 04:14 PM
Summer 1902 - Retreats
http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/9325/chaosf1902m.png

Rumania A Sev retreats to Arm
Belgium F Bel retreats to Pic

Just reposting
Fall 1902 Orders are due Tuesday 12/27 at 10pm PST

thewamp
2011-12-25, 01:35 PM
This is your 60 Hour Warning

Where's the headlines?

Zjoot
2011-12-25, 11:46 PM
All the journalists are busy celebrating Christmas.

101jir
2011-12-26, 05:22 PM
Maybe if I owned a country that had headlines:smalltongue:. No, just been busy.

thewamp
2011-12-27, 05:27 AM
This is your 21 hour warning
Get them orders in

Also, due to my being busy tomorrow there won't be 12 hour warnings by PM like there sometimes are. Heads up.

101jir
2011-12-27, 06:26 PM
I just wanted to say before I go that I don't think anyone will shed a tear over the loss of Edinborough. His moves clearly demonstrate that he can't be trusted. First he supports me against Holland (which I unfortunately messed up due to how hectic things were getting), then he turns around and attacks me. He will get what he deserves. For what its worth.

Makleveh
2011-12-27, 08:35 PM
...is that a threat against the English alliance?

101jir
2011-12-27, 09:45 PM
Just a thought worth mention:smallamused:

EDIT: Just remember: If you ally Edinborough, don't ever mess up. He will turn on you. He is very unstable.

Mistral
2011-12-27, 11:35 PM
I just wanted to say before I go that I don't think anyone will shed a tear over the loss of Edinborough. His moves clearly demonstrate that he can't be trusted. First he supports me against Holland (which I unfortunately messed up due to how hectic things were getting), then he turns around and attacks me. He will get what he deserves. For what its worth.

Or he's very clever in gaining your trust, or he's decided that because of that mistake, you've become the liability to remove from the board. :smalltongue:

Now I, on the other hand, am going to be torn apart by my own schizophrenic movements, only some of which can be attributed to screw-ups like typos or failure to override placeholder orders.

101jir
2011-12-28, 05:01 PM
Or he's very clever in gaining your trust, or he's decided that because of that mistake, you've become the liability to remove from the board. :smalltongue:

Now I, on the other hand, am going to be torn apart by my own schizophrenic movements, only some of which can be attributed to screw-ups like typos or failure to override placeholder orders.

He admitted himself to almost betraying me earlier. Trust me, he is not stable. He keeps going back and forth between what he wants to do. He can't make up his mind.

thewamp
2011-12-28, 05:54 PM
We got a handful of NMRs, but several of those players were eliminated, so not too big of a deal. Last week's story is finally written. Head back to page 7 to see it.

Fall 1902

The Story:
Will drop today or tomorrow. But actually this time.

http://img862.imageshack.us/img862/7600/chaosf1902morders.png
http://img862.imageshack.us/img862/2330/chaosf1902r.png

A-Ankara - Shular
A Ank S A Arm - Smy

B-Belgium - 101jir
F Pic S F Hol - Bel

C-Berlin - Gyrtorm
A Ber S A Den - Kie

E-Budapest - Jamin
A Ser - Bud

NMR

NMR

H-Denmark - Niezck
F Swe - Den

I-Edinburgh - Inanisvoid
NMR

K-Holland - Pelfaid
F Hol - Bel

L-Kiel - Salzar
NMR

N-Liverpool - Chambers
F MAO S F Spa/nc - Por

P-London - Makleveh
F Gas - Bre
F NTH - Edi

Q-Marsailles - Locus
A Mar - Spa

R-Moscow - nolispe
A Lvn - War
A Mos S A Lvn - War

S-Munich - Mael
A Mun - Ber

T-Naples - C'nor
A Apu - Rom

V-Paris - Splynn
A Par - Bre

A Por - Spa

X-Rome - Deathslayer7
F TYS - Rom

Y-Rumania - Murska
A Arm - Smy

Z-Serbia - Spate
A Gre - Ser

F Sev H

1-Smyrna - yugi24862
NMR

2-Spain - IcemanJRC
F Spa/nc - Por

4-Sweden - Vexen
F SKA S F Swe - Den

A Tri S A Apu - Ven
A Vie S A Ser - Bud

7-Venice - Mistral
A Ven - Tri
F ADR S A Ven - Tri

8-Vienna - TsukikoJ
A Bud - Tri

9-Warsaw - Eternis
A War H

Retreats! Due by Thursday at 10pm (disbands assumed if the power has no supply centers and can't interfere with anyone else's retreats)
Berlin A Ber Disbands
Edinburgh F Bel Disbands
Trieste A Tri may disband or retreat to Tyr, Alb
Smyrna F Smy Disbands
Vienna A Bud may disband or retreat to Gal, Rum (but had better choose Rum if he wants to continue playing this game)
Warsaw A War Disbands

Builds! Due by by Saturday at 10pm (assumes retreats are taken)
Belgium disbands F pic
Denmark may build 1
Holland may build 1
London may build 1
Marsailles may build 1
Moscow may build 1
Munich may build 1
Serbia may build 1
Trieste must remove 1
Venice may build 1

Dearly Departed (22 players left)
yugi24862 - smyrna
Eternis - Warsaw
101jir - Belgium
Grytorm - Berlin
Inanisvoid - Edinburgh
Salzar - Kiel
The Grimmace - Portugal

Spring 1903 Orders are due Thursday 1/5 at 10pm PST

52.5 Lemons
2011-12-28, 07:03 PM
Don't I get a build?

thewamp
2011-12-28, 07:11 PM
Don't I get a build?

The listed builds assumes the retreats are taken. If A bud retreats into rumania, you won't get a build.

TBFProgrammer
2011-12-28, 10:05 PM
Trieste will disband.

101jir
2011-12-28, 10:17 PM
Well, that's it for me, it was a good game. I look forward to seeing how this plays out, but JIC, PM me when its EoG time, K? THX.

EDIT: BTW, I think I am going to have a very interesting chat with other players that are out of the game as well.

Zjoot
2011-12-28, 11:44 PM
Yeah...didn't expect to last much longer. Good game everybody, and good luck. When are those other games gonna start? Maybe I'll actually do something right in them.:smalltongue:

IcemanJRC
2011-12-28, 11:50 PM
To be honest, I would've rather not removed you The Grimmace. But I didn't see it working out. Apologies.

Mistral
2011-12-29, 10:33 AM
The listed builds assumes the retreats are taken. If A bud retreats into rumania, you won't get a build.

Ah. Idle curiosity, but what retreat blocks my build in that case? I've been looking at the map, but I don't really see it.

TBFProgrammer
2011-12-29, 12:23 PM
Ah. Idle curiosity, but what retreat blocks my build in that case? I've been looking at the map, but I don't really see it.

The only build that could be blocked is 52.5 Lemons' build.

thewamp
2011-12-29, 01:07 PM

Yeah, that was just a mistake. You've got a build. Editted to reflect that.

Winter 1902 - Retreats
A tri disbands
A bud retreats to rumania
All others disband as mentioned in previous post

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/7650/chaosf1902b.png

52.5 Lemons
2011-12-29, 03:38 PM
Aaaaand I'm right back to where I started...

Lady Serpentine
2011-12-29, 03:41 PM
Hm. What blocked my move into Rome?

Makleveh
2011-12-29, 04:15 PM
T-Naples - C'nor
A Apu - Rom

X-Rome - Deathslayer7
F TYS - Rom

Bounce bounce bounce.

Pelfaid
2011-12-30, 08:18 AM
Just wanted to let you all know that I am headed out of town for new years and so may have spotty internet. I will try to respond to messages as frequently as I can but we will see how that goes. I should regain steady internet on the 2ndish.

Inanisvoid
2011-12-30, 09:31 AM
Not bad I guess, for a first game... Anyway... Thanks for giving me half a chance, and good luck to all you survivors!

Lady Serpentine
2011-12-30, 09:43 PM
Bounce bounce bounce.

Tank pinball? :smalltongue:

101jir
2011-12-31, 06:15 PM
BTW, if you guys want some theme music for your battles, here is some Mayhem (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW6oT4Tc8bA) for ya.:smallsmile:

Niezck
2012-01-01, 08:03 PM
Any news on builds, Wamp?

thewamp
2012-01-02, 12:57 AM
Winter 1902 - Builds

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/7650/chaosf1902b.png
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/8230/chaoss1903m.png

thewamp
2012-01-03, 06:35 PM
This is your 55 hour warning
You've been warned :smallwink:

thewamp
2012-01-05, 02:21 AM
This is your 23 Hour Warning!
Get them orders in!

thewamp
2012-01-06, 11:17 PM
Sorry for the delay, crazy busy, results up at some point tonight.

Lady Serpentine
2012-01-07, 12:07 AM
Hey! Current ally! Respond to the PM I sent you so I can change my orders if I need to!

thewamp
2012-01-07, 06:11 AM
I'm hunting for replacements officially. There's at least one player who I believe will drop out and I obviously have to double check with these NMR'd players. Worst case, a replacement just ends up as the next alternate the next time we need to replace someone. Priority will go to those who have not been previously eliminated though because someone coming in with a grudge can screw with things.

Spring 1903

The Story: I'm taking a break for now. Probably giving up. For all you who don't care, cool. For all you who do, shut up, you don't exist.

http://img864.imageshack.us/img864/2643/chaoss1903morders.png
http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/9151/chaoss1903r.png

A-Ankara - Shular
A Ank - Con

E-Budapest - Jamin
A Bud S A Vie - Tri

A Bul H

F Con S A Ank

H-Denmark - Niezck
F Den S F SKA - NTH
F Nwy - Swe

K-Holland - Pelfaid
F Kie - Den
F Hol - HEL
F Bel H

N-Liverpool - Chambers
NMR

P-London - Makleveh
F Gas - Bre
F Edi - Cly
F Lon - Wal

Q-Marsailles - Locus
A Mar S A Spa
A Spa S A MAO - Por

R-Moscow - nolispe
A War - Ukr
A Mos S A War - Ukr
A Stp - Nwy

S-Munich - Mael
A Mun - Bur
A Ber S A Kie

T-Naples - C'nor
A Apu - Rom

V-Paris - Splynn
A Par - Bre

X-Rome - Deathslayer7
F TYS - Rom

Y-Rumania - Murska
A Smy S A Ank - Con

Z-Serbia - Spate
A Ser S A Vie - Tri

NMR

2-Spain - IcemanJRC
F Por - Spa/nc

4-Sweden - Vexen
F SKA - NTH

A Vie - Tri

7-Venice - Mistral
A Tri - Ven
F ADR - ION
F Rom H

8-Vienna - TsukikoJ
A Rum S A Bul

Retreats! Due by Sunday at 10pm
F Con may disband or retreat to AEG, BLA

Fall 1903 Orders are due Friday 1/13 at 10pm PST

TBFProgrammer
2012-01-07, 12:13 PM
Sorry C'nor, long letter to the wrong person. :smallredface:

Also, your inbox is full.

Lady Serpentine
2012-01-07, 04:54 PM
Note to self: Check game thread before responding to PMs. Feel free to ignore the utterly baffled response I wrote back. I'd figured it was something like that, though. I mean, I'm the most ineffectual player in the game at the moment, most likely, so people suddenly being scared of me was pretty unlikely. :smalltongue:

thewamp
2012-01-08, 01:53 AM
Summer 1903

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1244/chaosf1903m.png

Constantinople F Con Retreats to BLA

thewamp
2012-01-10, 03:04 AM
Still have not found any replacements of which I need at least one. If you know any forum goer who could be interested, send them a PM.

thewamp
2012-01-11, 05:26 PM
This is your 60 hour warning

thewamp
2012-01-13, 03:49 AM
3 things:

1. People have to post more so I don't feel like I'm talking to myself. Do press. Whatever.

2. Should we speed this up? I wanted to give it a few weeks before we accelerated, but if people are ready, we could do that. Keep in mind that "no, absolutely not" is a perfectly valid answer.

This is your 21 hour warning

Shular
2012-01-13, 05:05 AM
Ankara:

thanks Rumania for her support.
regrets the move against Con, but things just weren't working out
suspects it's all a moo (it's like a cow's opinion) point, Moscow will have 5 centres as of the end of the year.

I have no problems with accellerated turns

Murska
2012-01-13, 06:13 AM
Rumania is not certain whether or not he's sent his move this turn. Accelerating the turns is fine, anyway - it's not like I spend more than a few hours negotiating things and few minutes deciding my moves.