[/table]

Votes tallied to here.

Ilorin Lorati
2013-04-19, 04:24 PM
Since I have no clue if the Bombardier is done yet.... :smallredface:

Here's a run down on the Master of Missiles in the mean time! :smallbiggrin:

*snip*

Fixed the tag error.
The active abilities are all used as spells, so they should all qualify as SLAs. At least, that's how I understood it.
I'll bring the CL back down one, but will be leaving the bonus to MM CL, since one more missile is kinda negligible anyways. I don't want to reduce it by 3, because that would be removing the ability for sorcerers to use 9th level spells.

Edit: Also, I vote for Gamer's Gambit.

Deviston
2013-04-19, 07:06 PM
Second draft voting begins now folks. Works the same as the first draft, except this time you only get 3 votes. Voting will remain open until 11:59 pm Thursday.

I must have misunderstood 11:59 pm Thursday then. Because my vote came in at 11:27 pm. According to the forums.

Tanuki Tales
2013-04-19, 07:24 PM
I must have misunderstood 11:59 pm Thursday then. Because my vote came in at 11:27 pm. According to the forums.

I've got 12:57 on my time stamp.

What time zone do you have?

Deviston
2013-04-19, 07:27 PM
GMT -6 (Central)

We seem to have a coordination error! I guess the question is, what time zone are the deadlines based off of?

Tanuki Tales
2013-04-19, 07:33 PM
GMT -6 (Central)

We seem to have a coordination error! I guess the question is, what time zone are the deadlines based off of?

*face palm*

I just noticed, now, that I never actually specified that the contest runs off Eastern Standard Time, which it UTC-5. Though it's never actually come up before now.

Ugh. :smallsigh:

Alright, this is totally my bad.

Deviston, I'll let you cast your votes for the previous round now and re-do the finals to reflect them. Keep in mind that you can only give 1 vote to 1 entry, not all 3 to 1.

Deviston
2013-04-19, 07:40 PM
You sir are a blessing and a saint. Sorry to cause such a ruckus, and I'll cast only one vote for Mutagenic Madness. I think that brings it to the final voting round?

And thank you for the one-time free pass :) -5 from now on it is! Well, for the Grab Bag at least hahahaa

Tanuki Tales
2013-04-19, 11:19 PM
You sir are a blessing and a saint.

Hardly. :smalltongue:

Sorry to cause such a ruckus, and I'll cast only one vote for Mutagenic Madness. I think that brings it to the final voting round?

And thank you for the one-time free pass :) -5 from now on it is! Well, for the Grab Bag at least hahahaa

It was all my fault in the first place; just cleaning up my mess.

And what are your other two votes? It can matter.

gr8artist
2013-04-20, 09:49 AM
Final round Mutagen/Tech/Gaming... I'll cast my vote for Video Games

DawnbringerSO
2013-04-20, 10:03 AM
Final vote for the third law.

Tanuki Tales
2013-04-20, 10:07 AM
Guys, per the last few posts, we're probably going to have to re-do the final round pending what Deviston votes on for the previous round.

So hold on to your votes for now. :smallsmile:

SamBurke
2013-04-20, 10:57 AM
Guys, per the last few posts, we're probably going to have to re-do the final round pending what Deviston votes on for the previous round.

So hold on to your votes for now. :smallsmile:

Will do! Tell us when we can again... I'm getting antsy about the results.

Ilorin Lorati
2013-04-20, 05:28 PM
Will do! Tell us when we can again... I'm getting antsy about the results.

You just want your chance to make sure Third Law is what's chosen. :p

DawnbringerSO
2013-04-21, 06:47 AM
You just want your chance to make sure Third Law is what's chosen. :p

And who wouldn't? I already have an idea for a class.

Ilorin Lorati
2013-04-21, 11:48 AM
And who wouldn't? I already have an idea for a class.

And I already have an idea for a class for Gamer's Gambit. :p

I recently made a technology-based archetype, so I'm not all that eager to do it again. >.>

Tanuki Tales
2013-04-21, 12:49 PM
I hope Deviston comes back soon. Otherwise I might just have to roll to determine his other two votes.

SamBurke
2013-04-21, 05:09 PM
As it Happens,I plan om votimg for Gamers Gambit. i, too, a great idea. Speakimg of which, I claim Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite as my inspiration... Just sayin.

Milo v3
2013-04-21, 08:19 PM
I'll vote for Gamer's Gambit.

Tanuki Tales
2013-04-21, 08:20 PM
I'll vote for Gamer's Gambit.

Final round is on pause for the moment. We might need to re-do it.

How've you been by the way man? Haven't seen you around.

Milo v3
2013-04-21, 08:56 PM
How've you been by the way man? Haven't seen you around.

Yeah, my head hasn't been screwed on right the past few weeks. :smalltongue:

Razanir
2013-04-21, 10:54 PM

The ears are supposed to be on the side. Don't worry. I had trouble with that part too

Milo v3
2013-04-22, 01:25 AM
The ears are supposed to be on the side. Don't worry. I had trouble with that part too

Ears... You mean there's meant to be more than one...

Deviston
2013-04-22, 08:58 AM
Third Law and Gamer's Gambit I guess.

(grumble grumble stupid internet grumble grumble out for more day than im happy to admit grumble grumble)

SamBurke
2013-04-22, 09:13 AM

Well, that sounds painful. :smalleek:

Anyway, I can't wait for the next round!

Tanuki Tales
2013-04-22, 11:52 AM
Third Law and Gamer's Gambit I guess.

(grumble grumble stupid internet grumble grumble out for more day than im happy to admit grumble grumble)

Sorry to hear that man. :smallfrown:

And it looks like your votes actually make it so the final two entries are exactly the same as before your vote. xD

Anyways, without further ado:

{table=head]Working Name|Theme|Votes
The Third Law|Science and Technology|0
Gamer's Gambit|Video games|0
[/table]

Voting will remain open for this until 11:59 PM EST on Tuesday. You get 1 vote, so make it count!

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-04-22, 12:34 PM
Didnt his vote put mutagenic madness or whatever ahead of the other lower ones, putting it in the top three? Or were you only shooting for two results?

Tanuki Tales
2013-04-22, 12:41 PM
Didnt his vote put mutagenic madness or whatever ahead of the other lower ones, putting it in the top three? Or were you only shooting for two results?

His vote put Mutagenic Madness in at 4 votes. But he then voted for Third and Gamer's, which knocked them up to 5 and 6 respectively, returning them to being the two highest as they were before his votes.

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-04-22, 12:49 PM
His vote put Mutagenic Madness in at 4 votes. But he then voted for Third and Gamer's, which knocked them up to 5 and 6 respectively, returning them to being the two highest as they were before his votes.

Gotcha. Were only looking for two then. I recalled the previous votes we'd vote a certain amount of times, and get that number back to choose from. I was just making sure there shouldn't be 3 up, since when it was the 2 highest before, it looked like it was because of the tie between the other three. Just me misunderstanding!

(working on a PEACH for your Bard, by the way. :smallcool:)

Tanuki Tales
2013-04-22, 01:00 PM
Gotcha. Were only looking for two then. I recalled the previous votes we'd vote a certain amount of times, and get that number back to choose from. I was just making sure there shouldn't be 3 up, since when it was the 2 highest before, it looked like it was because of the tie between the other three. Just me misunderstanding!

I felt 10 to 5 to 2 was just a better progression than 10 to 5 to 3. Just felt things would work better in the end if opinions were split between 2 camps instead of 3. Mind you, if there had been any ties, I'd have just rolled to see what made it to the final round or what have you to tie break.

After we decide May's though we'll doing voting immediately after for June and I'm going to break that down as 14 to 7 to 4 to 2.

(working on a PEACH for your Bard, by the way. :smallcool:)

I look forward to it, but please take your time. :smallsmile:

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-04-22, 01:13 PM
I felt 10 to 5 to 2 was just a better progression than 10 to 5 to 3. Just felt things would work better in the end if opinions were split between 2 camps instead of 3. Mind you, if there had been any ties, I'd have just rolled to see what made it to the final round or what have you to tie break.

After we decide May's though we'll doing voting immediately after for June and I'm going to break that down as 14 to 7 to 4 to 2.

Gotcha! Just making sure we were on the same page. I'll put my vote in to Gamer's Gambit, then. :smallsmile:

I look forward to it, but please take your time. :smallsmile:

Oh I will! Lord knows I don't have a lot of it! :smallwink::smallbiggrin:

Tanuki Tales
2013-04-22, 01:15 PM
Gamer's Gambit|Video games|1
[/table]

Votes tallied to here.

Ilorin Lorati
2013-04-22, 01:55 PM
(I vote for) Gamer's Gambit.

Tanuki Tales
2013-04-22, 05:19 PM
Gamer's Gambit|Video games|2
[/table]

Votes tallied to here.

gr8artist
2013-04-29, 02:49 AM
Put me down for Gamer's Gambit, as well. Despite my love for the magic/tech dichotomy, I can't think of any good way to incorporate it into DnD without resorting to an artificer knockoff.
But something based on a video game... Oh yeah, sign me up.

Tanuki Tales
2013-04-29, 08:10 AM
Holy crap...we're back.

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-04-29, 08:13 AM
Holy crap...we're back.

We are indeed! And just in time too! :smallwink:

Tanuki Tales
2013-04-29, 08:28 AM
I'm going to extend the contest for...site went down on the 22nd, right?

So the contest will end on the 8th of May.

I'll extend the theme voting if necessary, but let's see if we can get it done today.

Tanuki Tales
2013-04-29, 08:29 AM
Gamer's Gambit|Video games|3
[/table]

Votes tallied to here.

SamBurke
2013-04-29, 10:24 AM
I vote for Gamer's Gambit!

Tanuki Tales
2013-04-29, 02:51 PM
Gamer's Gambit|Video games|4
[/table]

Votes tallied to here.

DawnbringerSO
2013-04-29, 03:04 PM
Humbug. The Third Law.

Tanuki Tales
2013-04-29, 03:37 PM
The Third Law|Science and Technology|1
Gamer's Gambit|Video games|4
[/table]

Votes tallied to here.

Deviston
2013-04-29, 05:47 PM
And it looks like your votes actually make it so the final two entries are exactly the same as before your vote. xD
!

-______________-

Then be thee forewarned! I will be submitting "Mutagenic Madness" and/or "When Two Become One" (the symbiont thing) every contest! It's uh... kinda my thing ::blush::

Wait a sec... ::looks at Gamer's Gambit in sudden awe:: VOTING FOR GAMER'S GAMBIT! Just realized how I can have my cake anyway! Thank you video games, for having a little bit of EVERYTHING if one digs enough.

Tanuki Tales
2013-04-29, 06:38 PM
The Third Law|Science and Technology|1
Gamer's Gambit|Video games|5
[/table]

Votes tallied to here. :smallwink:

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-04-29, 07:51 PM
-______________-

Then be thee forewarned! I will be submitting "Mutagenic Madness" and/or "When Two Become One" (the symbiont thing) every contest! It's uh... kinda my thing ::blush::

Wait a sec... ::looks at Gamer's Gambit in sudden awe:: VOTING FOR GAMER'S GAMBIT! Just realized how I can have my cake anyway! Thank you video games, for having a little bit of EVERYTHING if one digs enough.

:smallsmile: I can't wait to see what you do! What everyone does!

Deviston
2013-04-29, 09:04 PM
I'll give you a hint...

"Ikkashio!! RaigekiSHOU!!!" If you know don't spoil the surprise ;)

Tanuki Tales
2013-04-30, 03:28 PM
Time for a run down on the Gallows Ghost!

I didn't see any grammar issues and such when I last read through it, so I'll skip that bit.

Let me start by saying that I absolutely love everything in general about this template. I love the feel, I love the imagery it invokes and I love the mechanics. Good job.
A template can only be acquired or inherited, not both. This template is acquired.
Isn't the SR a little on the low side?
Shouldn't Last Breath make them begin suffocating, not dying?
What does Lynchable do, other than allow a Gallows Ghost to be bound and captured?
I'm curious how a Gallows Ghost deals with creature immune to nonlethal damage.
With all that said, this template does not deserve to be CR +3. The vanilla Ghost is only CR +2 and it's honestly significantly better than this template.

And that's all for now.

Tanuki Tales
2013-04-30, 09:36 PM
I think it's safe to call Gamer's Gambit next month's theme.

I'll have the voting put together for June's theme shortly.

Tanuki Tales
2013-04-30, 09:43 PM
{table=head]Previous Theme|Votes
Creepy Crawlers|0
Path to Castle Ravenloft|0
Playgrounders Assemble!|0
A Homebrew by any other Name...|0
Semper Fi! Do or Die!|0
A Day in the Life|0
Saturday Morning Nostalgia|0
Fear Itself|0
On the Origins of Species|0
Have a Holly, Jolly Brewmas!|0
Oaths and Resolutions|0
Homebrew! I choose you!|0
Of Dragons and Dungeons|0
Gamer's Gambit|0

[/table]

With this first draft round, you'll receive 7 votes to cast, none of which can be for the same theme. The voting for this will remain open until 11:59 EST on Friday; afterwards, the amount will be cut down from 14 to 7.

All of these themes are from past contests, so if you're curious about them you can check the first post (except Gamer's Gambit, which doesn't get made till tomorrow).

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-01, 12:28 PM
This month's contest is up now. Keep in mind that last month's is still going on till the 8th, so if you need to finish up an entry or still want to submit one, know is the time. :smallwink:

Ilorin Lorati
2013-05-01, 11:52 PM
This is hard to choose.

I've got some ideas for something based off a certain pair of old Squaresoft games, but we'll see if I can get it off the ground.

(Nevermind that if I play those games for... uh... research that you're probably not going to see me for a month.)

gr8artist
2013-05-02, 11:19 AM
Let me start by saying that I absolutely love everything in general about this template. I love the feel, I love the imagery it invokes and I love the mechanics. Good job. - Thanks
A template can only be acquired or inherited, not both. This template is acquired - fixed
Isn't the SR a little on the low side? A little, but it's got other annoying defenses.
Shouldn't Last Breath make them begin suffocating, not dying? Probably, but he's essentially skipping the 0 HP part of the suffocation rules.
What does Lynchable do, other than allow a Gallows Ghost to be bound and captured? Uh, nothing.
I'm curious how a Gallows Ghost deals with creature immune to nonlethal damage. Tears. Weeping and tears.
With all that said, this template does not deserve to be CR +3. The vanilla Ghost is only CR +2 and it's honestly significantly better than this template. Agreed. Adjusted.
Thanks a lot for the feedback, guys. I'm glad you've enjoyed the creature.

And I don't really know what most of the upcoming themes are about, so I can't cast a vote yet.

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-02, 11:26 AM
Thanks a lot for the feedback, guys. I'm glad you've enjoyed the creature.

You're welcome.

And I don't really know what most of the upcoming themes are about, so I can't cast a vote yet.

There are links on the first page, but let me go make a revised edition with the concept of the theme included (I didn't originally because it was more work than I had wanted to put in at the moment. Was doing that voting list between other things).

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-05-02, 11:34 AM
:smallwink:(I'm already working up a list for you if you want to hang on for a moment.)

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-02, 11:38 AM
{table=head]Previous Theme|Concept|Votes
Creepy Crawlers|Arthropods, Swarms and Hive Mind Mentality|0
Path to Castle Ravenloft|Gothic Horror|0
Playgrounders Assemble!|Avengers, Their Villains, Affiliated associations, Deadpool and Superheroes in general|0
A Homebrew by any other Name...|Something based on entrant's GitP username|0
Semper Fi! Do or Die!|Military and Warfare|0
A Day in the Life|Specialized contest where you came up with an original race and several other mechanics to go with it (archetypes, feats, etc.)|0
Saturday Morning Nostalgia|Animated programming that aired between 1990 and 1999|0
Fear Itself|Specific Fears or Fear in general|0
On the Origins of Species|Prehistory, Primeval Environments and Evolution|0
Have a Holly, Jolly Brewmas!|Secular aspects of Christmas and Winter in general|0
Oaths and Resolutions|Oaths, Pacts, Contracts, Resolutions, etc.|0
Homebrew! I choose you!|Pokemon|0
Of Dragons and Dungeons|Old School Dungeons and Dragons|0
Gamer's Gambit|Video Games|0

[/table]

With this first draft round, you'll receive 7 votes to cast, none of which can be for the same theme. The voting for this will remain open until 11:59 EST on Friday; afterwards, the amount will be cut down from 14 to 7.

This is the new, improved voting list that includes the concept of each past contest for your convenience!

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-02, 11:41 AM
:smallwink:(I'm already working up a list for you if you want to hang on for a moment.)

D'oh.

Sorry Wombat. :smallfrown:

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-05-02, 11:55 AM
Eh, I'll post it anyways. Lets see how I did comparitively (since I haven't seen yours yet).

Previous Theme
Description/Link
Votes

Creepy Crawlers
Arthropods, swarms, Hive mind (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234662)

Path to Castle Ravenloft
Gothic Horror (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238156)

Playgrounders Assemble!
Superheros, Villians, and comics (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241596)

A Homebrew by any other Name...
Make your Username a homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245085)

Semper Fi! Do or Die!
Military and War (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248139)

A Day in the Life
Create a new Race (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251404)

Saturday Morning Nostalgia
Cartoons from the 1990's. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254445)

Fear Itself
Phobias and Fear (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257469)

On the Origins of Species
Primeval and evolution (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260099)

Have a Holly, Jolly Brewmas!
Secular Christmas Aspects/Winter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263098)

Oaths and Resolutions
Oaths, Pacts, and Contracts (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266173)

Homebrew! I choose you!
Pokemon/Monster Breeding and Training (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269991)

Of Dragons and Dungeons
1st and 2nd Edition D & D Inspired (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273797)

Gamer's Gambit
Video Games (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281759)

Razanir
2013-05-02, 11:58 AM
If we go with I Choose You!, would I be allowed to re-submit my unfinished Kirlia/Gardevoir/Gallade PrC? If I am, I put a vote in for that.

Other votes go to Playgrounders Assemble (I'll shatter the 4th wall), A Homebrew By Any Other Name (Nazgūl) and Saturday Morning Nostalgia (not sure what I'm make. KP started in '02)

EDIT: Oh, and expect my revamped entry tomorrow. I'll finally be done with finals :smallcool:

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-02, 12:01 PM
Here's a run down on the Mason!

I don't see anything grammar wise that stands out, so I'll move on.

This archetype is short, sweet and to the point. It is very simple in its execution but manages to bring a good amount of options and versatility to the table with its use. Good job.
You need to comb through and decide if you're calling users of the archetype Wizards or Masons.
I'm very leery of that 20th level ability tacked onto Durable Materials since it can apply to spells like Gate and the Demi-plane creation line of spells.

And that's all I really have to say. Again, good job on your entry.

@Wombat: Looks like you more or less hit all the same points as me. I forgot the winter bit for Brewmas though, blah.

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-02, 12:07 PM
If we go with I Choose You!, would I be allowed to re-submit my unfinished Kirlia/Gardevoir/Gallade PrC? If I am, I put a vote in for that.

I'll have to get back to you about that.

Also, you get 7 votes this round.

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-05-02, 12:12 PM
@Tanuki - Meh, yeah. I'd have been faster without those links! :smallbiggrin: I figured it'd put everything in one place. :smallsmile:

I'll Vote now, I suppose -

Playgrounders Assemble
Creepy Crawlers
Saturday Morning (since I missed the deadline last time)
Homebrew of a Different Name (sounds like fun but could we expand it to ANYONE's name?)
Fear Itself (but could I do something that PREVENTS/comforts from fear?)
Homebrew, I choose you!

Elricaltovilla
2013-05-02, 12:16 PM
Hello all,

I edited the Scorching Mage again so that instead of Elemental Spell he can ignore an increasing amount of Fire Resistance, if someone could take a look at that for me and let me know what they think I'd appreciate it.

Also, I was looking at my level 8 ability and was wondering how balanced/useful it was. It's a lot of bull rush/trip attempts at high level, but I'm not sure how likely they are to succeed or be useful from a tactical standpoint.

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-02, 12:38 PM
Creepy Crawlers|Arthropods, Swarms and Hive Mind Mentality|1
Path to Castle Ravenloft|Gothic Horror|0
Playgrounders Assemble!|Avengers, Their Villains, Affiliated associations, Deadpool and Superheroes in general|1
A Homebrew by any other Name...|Something based on entrant's GitP username|1
A Day in the Life|Specialized contest where you came up with an original race and several other mechanics to go with it (archetypes, feats, etc.)|0
Saturday Morning Nostalgia|Animated programming that aired between 1990 and 1999|1
Fear Itself|Specific Fears or Fear in general|1
On the Origins of Species|Prehistory, Primeval Environments and Evolution|1
Have a Holly, Jolly Brewmas!|Secular aspects of Christmas and Winter in general|0
Homebrew! I choose you!|Pokemon|1
Of Dragons and Dungeons|Old School Dungeons and Dragons|0

[/table]

Votes tallied to here.

Homebrew of a Different Name (sounds like fun but could we expand it to ANYONE's name?)

We'll discuss that possibility if it's chosen.

Fear Itself (but could I do something that PREVENTS/comforts from fear?)

Sure.

Ilorin Lorati
2013-05-02, 03:13 PM
Aww, I was hoping to have the chance at Third Law next month. :(

Ravenloft
Playgrounders Assemble
by any other Name
Origins of Species
Homebrew I Choose You
of Dungeons and Dragons

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-02, 04:18 PM
Path to Castle Ravenloft|Gothic Horror|1
Playgrounders Assemble!|Avengers, Their Villains, Affiliated associations, Deadpool and Superheroes in general|2
A Homebrew by any other Name...|Something based on entrant's GitP username|2
Saturday Morning Nostalgia|Animated programming that aired between 1990 and 1999|2
Fear Itself|Specific Fears or Fear in general|1
On the Origins of Species|Prehistory, Primeval Environments and Evolution|2
Homebrew! I choose you!|Pokemon|2
Of Dragons and Dungeons|Old School Dungeons and Dragons|1

[/table]

Votes tallied to here.

Aww, I was hoping to have the chance at Third Law next month. :(

Sorry Osa. March and June are the only set in stone contest themes. :smallfrown:

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-02, 06:42 PM
would I be allowed to re-submit my unfinished Kirlia/Gardevoir/Gallade PrC?

What is everyone's opinion on this?

I've mulled it over but I'd like to know the contest regulars' opinions on the concept of re-allowing entries previously entered concepts that were determined incomplete.

Milo v3
2013-05-02, 07:16 PM
Creepy Crawlers
Path to Castle Ravenloft
Playgrounders Assemble!
A Day in the Life
Fear Itself
Oaths and Resolutions
Homebrew! I choose you!

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-02, 07:36 PM
Creepy Crawlers|Arthropods, Swarms and Hive Mind Mentality|2
Path to Castle Ravenloft|Gothic Horror|2
Playgrounders Assemble!|Avengers, Their Villains, Affiliated associations, Deadpool and Superheroes in general|3
A Day in the Life|Specialized contest where you came up with an original race and several other mechanics to go with it (archetypes, feats, etc.)|1
Saturday Morning Nostalgia|Animated programming that aired between 1990 and 1999|2
Fear Itself|Specific Fears or Fear in general|2
Oaths and Resolutions|Oaths, Pacts, Contracts, Resolutions, etc.|1
Homebrew! I choose you!|Pokemon|3

[/table]

Votes tallied to here.

Ilorin Lorati
2013-05-02, 10:18 PM
What is everyone's opinion on this?

I've mulled it over but I'd like to know the contest regulars' opinions on the concept of re-allowing entries previously entered concepts that were determined incomplete.

Personally?

I like the thought that every entry was started and finished in the single month given. Extra time gives far more polish potential.

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-05-02, 10:21 PM
So long as they were incomplete and so didn't actually get factored as a contender, I'd be inclined to say yes, but its complicated... I know that there's the issue that some people who didn't win might want to submit (not saying that Razanir is one of these), and what makes something deemed then as incomplete? It also breaks the rule of "something not found on the boards before", which is pretty much the main factor for no for me. The rule is supposed to be so that everyone starts on the same footing.

I'm going to vote no.

iTookUrNick
2013-05-03, 04:55 AM
Here's a run down on the Mason!
This archetype is short, sweet and to the point. It is very simple in its execution but manages to bring a good amount of options and versatility to the table with its use. Good job.
Thank you! I've seen a lot of great entries in the contest, but I'm gunning for "most likely to see play". An the seret to that is adhering to the KISS philosophy. :smallbiggrin:

I'm very leery of that 20th level ability tacked onto Durable Materials since it can apply to spells like Gate and the Demi-plane creation line of spells.
Demi-plane creation can be made permanent already (you can temporarily save 22500gp this way. Big woop...).
Regarding the Gate spell, I obviously did not think of that. However, it would only work for the planar travel aspect of the spell (not the calling of creatures) and it would, indeed, be awesome in case you need to move armies across planar boundaries, but not for much more (that I can see. Cheese chasers will beg to differ, obviously).

And that's all I really have to say. Again, good job on your entry.
And again, thenks to the feedback!

Votes (in order of preference):
- On the Origins of Species
- Creepy Crawlers
- A Day in the Life
- Gamer's Gambit
- Path to Castle Ravenloft
- Oaths and Resolutions

Deviston
2013-05-03, 05:35 AM
My Votes:

Creepy Crawlers
Playgrounders Assemble!
Semper Fi! Do or Die!
A Day in the Life
Oaths and Resolutions

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-03, 10:20 AM
Demi-plane creation can be made permanent already (you can temporarily save 22500gp this way. Big woop...).

Actually....

You can make this spell permanent with the permanency spell, at a cost of 22,500 gp. If you have cast create greater demiplane multiple times to enlarge the demiplane, each casting’s area requires its own permanency spell.

I could see an argument easily made that by making the original Deminplane spell permanent with Durable Materials, it makes all of the enlargements and changes permanent as well. So instead of 22,500 gold, they could be saving millions.

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-03, 10:32 AM
Creepy Crawlers|Arthropods, Swarms and Hive Mind Mentality|4
Path to Castle Ravenloft|Gothic Horror|3
Playgrounders Assemble!|Avengers, Their Villains, Affiliated associations, Deadpool and Superheroes in general|4
Semper Fi! Do or Die!|Military and Warfare|1
A Day in the Life|Specialized contest where you came up with an original race and several other mechanics to go with it (archetypes, feats, etc.)|3
Saturday Morning Nostalgia|Animated programming that aired between 1990 and 1999|3
On the Origins of Species|Prehistory, Primeval Environments and Evolution|4
Oaths and Resolutions|Oaths, Pacts, Contracts, Resolutions, etc.|3
Gamer's Gambit|Video Games|1

[/table]

Votes tallied to here.

DawnbringerSO
2013-05-03, 01:21 PM
creepy crawlers
A homebrew by any other name
Playgrounders Assemble!
Homebrew! I choose you!
Saturday morning nostalgia
On the origin of species
Gamers gambit

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-03, 04:59 PM
Creepy Crawlers|Arthropods, Swarms and Hive Mind Mentality|5
Path to Castle Ravenloft|Gothic Horror|3
Playgrounders Assemble!|Avengers, Their Villains, Affiliated associations, Deadpool and Superheroes in general|5
A Homebrew by any other Name...|Something based on entrant's GitP username|3
Semper Fi! Do or Die!|Military and Warfare|1
A Day in the Life|Specialized contest where you came up with an original race and several other mechanics to go with it (archetypes, feats, etc.)|3
Saturday Morning Nostalgia|Animated programming that aired between 1990 and 1999|4
On the Origins of Species|Prehistory, Primeval Environments and Evolution|5
Oaths and Resolutions|Oaths, Pacts, Contracts, Resolutions, etc.|3
Homebrew! I choose you!|Pokemon|4
Gamer's Gambit|Video Games|2

[/table]

Votes tallied to here.

Now on the other thing put to vote, that's 2 for no. Any other opinions?

@Wombat: Something is declared incomplete if I believe that enough is missing mechanically so that you can not judge it fairly or completely. But, and everyone perk up your ears, starting with Gamer's Gambit and onwards, I will also declare an entry incomplete if the flavor text/fluff/etc. (not image though, what with the massive restriction on their use now) is not fully complete. Presentation should be just as important and just as large a factor to winning these contests as sound mechanics.

gr8artist
2013-05-04, 05:29 AM
1. Path to Castle Ravenloft
2. Playgrounders Assemble!
3. Oaths and Resolutions
4. Homebrew, I choose you!
5. Semper Fi! Do or Die!
6. Fear itself
7. Creepy Crawlers

Also, when can we begin working on the next contest, Gamer's Gambit?
And when will we know the results of Spell it Out for Me?

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-04, 09:32 AM
1. Path to Castle Ravenloft
2. Playgrounders Assemble!
3. Oaths and Resolutions
4. Homebrew, I choose you!
5. Semper Fi! Do or Die!
6. Fear itself
7. Creepy Crawlers

Sorry gr8. Cut off for the first draft was six hours and thirty minutes before you posted. I was just out of the house most of the night. ^^;

Also, when can we begin working on the next contest, Gamer's Gambit?
And when will we know the results of Spell it Out for Me?

It was already posted 3 days ago and I already said twice that the previous contest was extended to the 8th because of the server downtime.

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-04, 09:36 AM
Playgrounders Assemble!|Avengers, Their Villains, Affiliated associations, Deadpool and Superheroes in general|0
Saturday Morning Nostalgia|Animated programming that aired between 1990 and 1999|0

[/table]

Alright, time for the second round of voting for June. This time around you only get 4 votes and voting will remain open until 11:59 pm EST on Tuesday.

Ilorin Lorati
2013-05-04, 10:52 AM
Playgrounders Assemble!
Homebrew! I choose you!

Haven't gotten to work yet on my class, mainly because of my classes. It's tests all the way down.

Deviston
2013-05-04, 11:48 AM
Playgrounders ASSEMBLE!
A Day in the Life

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-04, 12:59 PM
Playgrounders Assemble!|Avengers, Their Villains, Affiliated associations, Deadpool and Superheroes in general|2
A Day in the Life|Specialized contest where you came up with an original race and several other mechanics to go with it (archetypes, feats, etc.)|1

[/table]

Votes tallied to here.

gr8artist
2013-05-04, 02:02 PM
1. Playgrounders Assemble!
2. Homebrew, I choose you!
3. Creepy Crawlers
4. On the Origins of Species

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-04, 02:36 PM
Playgrounders Assemble!|Avengers, Their Villains, Affiliated associations, Deadpool and Superheroes in general|3
On the Origins of Species|Prehistory, Primeval Environments and Evolution|3
Homebrew! I choose you!|Pokemon|2

[/table]

Votes tallied to here.

gr8artist
2013-05-05, 09:55 AM
Are we allowed to discuss plans, such as what we might like to make for the contest? I wasn't sure, regarding the "not found anywhere else on the forums" rule... I suppose it might hurt the competitive nature of the contest, but I'm kinda wanting to post a list of things I'm considering, and seeing which one people would rather I did.

Edit: Nevermind, thanks for the feedback. I'm going to keep a running list of my possible ideas here. Let me know what you'd like to see most!
Strategist - Chess - Probably a PrC or ACF that deals with tactics, battlefield control, teamwork, etc.
Hadou Master - Street Fighter - Monk/Fighter PrC that shoots energy from his hands, defies physics, and unleashes super attacks.
Blue Mage - Final Fantasy - Base or PrC that focuses on learning enemy's SLA's
Juggler - FFTA - Bard or Rogue ACF that throws items to create effects (beneficial or otherwise)

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-05, 10:50 AM
Are we allowed to discuss plans, such as what we might like to make for the contest? I wasn't sure, regarding the "not found anywhere else on the forums" rule... I suppose it might hurt the competitive nature of the contest, but I'm kinda wanting to post a list of things I'm considering, and seeing which one people would rather I did.

[If allowed, I'll put a spoiler here and my list inside it. That way, people can still be surprised if they want to.]

The rule only means it can't be an actual cyber-physical 'brew that already exists out there somewhere on the net. Feel free to brainstorm and sound board off one another all you want.

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-05-06, 06:44 AM
Playgrounders assemble
A Homebrew by another name
Saturday Morning Nostolgia
Homebrew, I choose you!

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-06, 02:15 PM
Playgrounders Assemble!|Avengers, Their Villains, Affiliated associations, Deadpool and Superheroes in general|4
Saturday Morning Nostalgia|Animated programming that aired between 1990 and 1999|3

[/table]

Votes tallied to here.

DawnbringerSO
2013-05-06, 02:56 PM
A day in the life
Creepy crawlers
playgrounders assemble
Homebrew i choose you

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-06, 03:13 PM
Creepy Crawlers|Arthropods, Swarms and Hive Mind Mentality|2
Playgrounders Assemble!|Avengers, Their Villains, Affiliated associations, Deadpool and Superheroes in general|5
A Day in the Life|Specialized contest where you came up with an original race and several other mechanics to go with it (archetypes, feats, etc.)|2

[/table]

Votes tallied to here.

SamBurke
2013-05-06, 04:14 PM
I don't have a set of votes, really.

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-06, 04:19 PM
I don't have a set of votes, really.

Can't choose?

And I'll be doing a run-down on your Deepcaster soon. :smallbiggrin:

SamBurke
2013-05-06, 04:39 PM
Can't choose?

And I'll be doing a run-down on your Deepcaster soon. :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, can't choose, and it doesn't matter a whole lot to me... none of the themes jump out, so I'll probably be taking a break.

ANd I can't wait!

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-07, 03:33 PM
I'm sorry it comes so late (sudden things cropped up), but here is a rundown on the Deepcaster!

I'm going to skip even looking over the grammar at this point since this entry has so much mechanics and fluff and that needs to be gone over more than spelling or punctuation.

I love the quote.
The save DCs are weird, running from 10+Int to 16+Int. This makes them weaker than any other ability, but I'll read more to see if this is shored up somewhere else.
You can chain your Runes and thus set up attack/defense combos all in the same round of actions. I really like this concept and wish it existed more in d20 games period, but I'll need to see how powerful Runes and Designs are to really sink my teeth into this.
Favorite Designs reminds me of one of the things I despised about 3.5 edition and Pathfinder: The removal of names. I loved the flavor and mystery attached to those spells left in the lexicon of the new adepts from mages who strode the world before them like titans of myth. It was something you could strive to achieve with your mage characters, to create a spell that would live as your legacy once you left the world.
Well, the Depths do help to shore up the Save DCs, as I thought would happen somewhere in the class, but I don't know if it is enough when competing with spells. There are a ton of methods out there to bump up DCs for spells (though I wonder if you could take Ability Focus for Deepcasting).
I don't understand what the Cunning Rune does exactly.
Binding is a Dweomer, not a Sigil.
What exactly is the duration/limit on Beacon?
I'm assuming you meant for "Additional Effects" to be "Tiers", right?
For the Linkbender, what is a Link?
I absolutely love this class. I really, really, really, hope that you end up posting this after the contest is finished. I'd love to see it evolve to replace all other casting classes and forms of magic. I definitely prefer its mechanics and approach over Vancian casting.

And that's it for now!

DawnbringerSO
2013-05-07, 04:08 PM
Ok I've made changes to the dimensional dervish and given it lots of options to choose from, as suggested.

The Tyler
2013-05-07, 08:44 PM
Hi all! I'm new around here, so how does this work? Do I have to vote if I want to enter, or do I have to enter a competition before voting? Or does it not matter?

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-07, 08:57 PM
Hi all! I'm new around here, so how does this work? Do I have to vote if I want to enter, or do I have to enter a competition before voting? Or does it not matter?

Well, the voting in this thread right now is for June's theme, so feel free to vote on that!

As for entering, no, there are no prerequisites or required tasks. Just go hog wild!

The Tyler
2013-05-07, 09:10 PM
I was hoping that was the response, but I wanted to ask first.

My votes are:
A Homebrew by any other name
Creepy Crawlers

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-07, 10:34 PM
Creepy Crawlers|Arthropods, Swarms and Hive Mind Mentality|3
A Day in the Life|Specialized contest where you came up with an original race and several other mechanics to go with it (archetypes, feats, etc.)|2
Saturday Morning Nostalgia|Animated programming that aired between 1990 and 1999|4
On the Origins of Species|Prehistory, Primeval Environments and Evolution|4

[/table]

Votes tallied to here.

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-08, 09:25 AM
Last day for "Spell it Out for Us" everyone!

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-08, 10:55 AM

[/table]

Time for the Semi-finals!

You get 2 votes this time and voting will remain open until 11:59 pm EST on Friday!

The Tyler
2013-05-08, 08:09 PM
On the Origin of Species

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-08, 09:04 PM
Saturday Morning Nostalgia|Animated programming that aired between 1990 and 1999|1

[/table]

Votes tallied to here.

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-09, 09:38 AM
Voting thread for last month's contest is now up and the first post is updated!

DawnbringerSO
2013-05-10, 03:42 PM
Playgrounders Assemble
Homebrew I choose you.

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-10, 04:04 PM
Playgrounders Assemble!|Avengers, Their Villains, Affiliated associations, Deadpool and Superheroes in general|1

[/table]

Votes tallied to here.

iTookUrNick
2013-05-11, 08:04 AM
Homebrew! I choose you!

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-11, 10:54 AM
Homebrew! I choose you!

I'll count this just because we needed a tie breaker.

Edit:

Actually, does anyone terribly mind if I have Saturday Morning Nostalgia in the finals instead of Homebrew, I Choose you!? Pokemon was a 90s show, so you can do Pokemon for that theme as well.

gr8artist
2013-05-11, 04:22 PM
I dont mind. My votes would have been
Playgrounders Assemble! and Homebrew! I choose you!

Ilorin Lorati
2013-05-12, 02:07 PM
I'm trying to get the dual and triple tech rules down before I go too far into this class. Am I allowed to post chunks here for feedback, or does it all have to be in the main submission thread?

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-12, 04:00 PM
I'm trying to get the dual and triple tech rules down before I go too far into this class. Am I allowed to post chunks here for feedback, or does it all have to be in the main submission thread?

All has to be in the submission thread, sorry.

And crap! Forgot to post the vote:

[/table]

I'll keep this open till Weds 11:59 pm EST.

Ilorin Lorati
2013-05-12, 04:24 PM
Boo. Oh well.

Origins of Species.

iTookUrNick
2013-05-13, 01:50 AM
Origins of Species as well.

OT: Osagasu's signature has made me wonder: where can one learn more about damage balance? Are there guidelines or charts somewhere perhaps, made up by a good selfless soul for the rest of us?

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-05-13, 06:27 AM
Saturday Morning Nostolgia

SamBurke
2013-05-13, 09:21 AM
Origins of Species as well.

OT: Osagasu's signature has made me wonder: where can one learn more about damage balance? Are there guidelines or charts somewhere perhaps, made up by a good selfless soul for the rest of us?
I personally look at the HP totals for a given CR, and divide by the number of turns I think it should be killed in by a given level of PC. Like so:

Say you have a 200 HP Demon, CR 10. That's on the REALLY TOUGH end of CR 10, mind you. Now, I want to throw it at a CL 8 party, and the thing should definitely live for a while. So, divide by the number of PCs (Average, 4), giving us 50. Then, divide by the likely damage per turn (Factoring miss chance, DR, etc, etc, this gets horrendously tricky.), and I'd say 30-40 damage per turn, with a likelihood of around 60% should be fine.

Of course, the equation gets MUCH more complicated if we want to include the likelihood of missing... so.

Also, I am working on fixing the Deepcaster stuff, and WILL be posting as a separate class on the boards, because I have a few ideas I'd like to work on.

SamBurke
2013-05-13, 10:30 AM
[QUOTE=Tanuki Tales;15191004]
I love the quote.
Thanks! I enjoy writing rants, and I've long hated the whole "I Memorize the same 2 spells at this level that everyone else does" effect of wizards.

The save DCs are weird, running from 10+Int to 16+Int. This makes them weaker than any other ability, but I'll read more to see if this is shored up somewhere else.
You can chain your Runes and thus set up attack/defense combos all in the same round of actions. I really like this concept and wish it existed more in d20 games period, but I'll need to see how powerful Runes and Designs are to really sink my teeth into this.
I have yet to figure it all out, but I've worked some of it in my mind. IF I did it right, I should be able to replicate almost any PF spell, based entirely on the shape and effects. This includes utility spells like Teleport (Runes: World, then Calling).

Favorite Designs reminds me of one of the things I despised about 3.5 edition and Pathfinder: The removal of names. I loved the flavor and mystery attached to those spells left in the lexicon of the new adepts from mages who strode the world before them like titans of myth. It was something you could strive to achieve with your mage characters, to create a spell that would live as your legacy once you left the world. Precisely the reason I put it in. There are certain things I know I'd do often (an invisibility-like one, some debuff chains... yeaaaaaaaaaaah. :smallbiggrin:)

Well, the Depths do help to shore up the Save DCs, as I thought would happen somewhere in the class, but I don't know if it is enough when competing with spells. There are a ton of methods out there to bump up DCs for spells (though I wonder if you could take Ability Focus for Deepcasting).
How much should the DCs be boosted? It should run roughly similar to the Bard, if I calculated right, with bonuses that can boost it much higher (For example, using your free single-rune, single-deepening ability later in the game)

I don't understand what the Cunning Rune does exactly.
Basically, you turn a creature or object into a rune. This immobilizes them, and flattens them against the surface that they're touching. Adding in the following: "While so trapped or hidden, the target gains a +4 to Stealth, and is immune to HP Damage. Runes cannot attack or otherwise effect anything that is not on the object they are on." As a note, also, this interacts rather well with the Living Rune to provide some movement. For example, Cunning on yourself, with Living, means you can run along walls and ceilings as an invincible rune, just unable to attack things.

Binding is a Dweomer, not a Sigil.
Fixed.

What exactly is the duration/limit on Beacon?
I added the following to describe the limits of all Runes and Designs, in the "Deepcasting" ability area: "The duration of any rune is a number of rounds equal to the number of motes invested in that design." In addition, I'll be added several deepenings that allow you to lengthen this.

I'm assuming you meant for "Additional Effects" to be "Tiers", right?
Yeah, there should be tiers of effects.

For the Linkbender, what is a Link?Added: "A “Link” is a specific spot on a surface, created within (10’ times your class level) of you. These connect together naturally, as they are specifically created low points in the weave."

I absolutely love this class. I really, really, really, hope that you end up posting this after the contest is finished. I'd love to see it evolve to replace all other casting classes and forms of magic. I definitely prefer its mechanics and approach over Vancian casting.
I most certainly WILL be posting it to the main boards, as I rather love the idea of it replacing most abilities as well...

All the fixes above will be put into the NEW view of the class, which should go up... today, I hope.

Deviston
2013-05-14, 05:31 PM
Origins of the Species

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-14, 06:37 PM

[/table]

Votes tallied to here.

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-14, 06:39 PM
All the fixes above will be put into the NEW view of the class, which should go up... today, I hope.

*face palm*

Double Dukes.

I knew I forgot something. :smallsigh:

Since, again, it's my fault, I'll let this slide, but that contest is closed guys. Has been closed since the 8th.

I hope to see some posts in the new contest though. :smallbiggrin:

Deviston
2013-05-14, 08:10 PM
Well, my submission is at least two posts long. It's a "few" monsters because doing just one won't get the message of the submission across. It's taken about 20 days and I'm still not done... ugh lol. BUT! I hope to have it done today if not within a few days and have this sucker posted. And since next month's seems to be falling where I want it too, there will be a follow up submission (next month) that ties into this month's.

Ilorin Lorati
2013-05-14, 11:59 PM
My submission is currently 10 pages long in word and I sincerely doubt I'll be done by the end of the month. That said, this is fun to work on, I get to make all sorts of fun new mechanics that I'm sure will be absolutely terrible.

Since, again, it's my fault, I'll let this slide, but that contest is closed guys. Has been closed since the 8th.

Burke actually meant the new view in its own thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283372).

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-15, 12:39 AM
My submission is currently 10 pages long in word and I sincerely doubt I'll be done by the end of the month. That said, this is fun to work on, I get to make all sorts of fun new mechanics that I'm sure will be absolutely terrible.

Now I really want to see it. :smallfrown:

Burke actually meant the new view in its own thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283372).

Well, I feel stupid. :smallredface:

Ilorin Lorati
2013-05-15, 01:07 AM
Now I really want to see it. :smallfrown:

Oh don't worry, if I don't get it done in time I'm still going to post it, just in its own thread. This is a lot of work, and I've never actually made anything with spell-equivalent abilities before, so it's a little bit of a challenge.

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-15, 04:13 PM
Folks, if you haven't voted yet, please do so.

And huzzah, my Spring semester is over! I'm free till June!

SamBurke
2013-05-16, 10:44 AM
Guys, as a note, there aren't many people who head over to the voting thread.

Just three so far...

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-16, 05:33 PM
Guys, as a note, there aren't many people who head over to the voting thread.

Just three so far...

Eh, it's normal honestly. I'm personally just tickled pink to see so many entries this month.

Ilorin Lorati
2013-05-16, 10:54 PM
I'm almost 100% certain I'm not going to be done in time now. I've just been told... today... that tomorrow we're starting renovations on the master bath here at my house.

Y-Y

gr8artist
2013-05-19, 04:26 AM
I've begun working on my submission, the Biskmatar.
It's a base class based on several final fantasy mechanics. It's a combat class, like fighter, but has some benefits that make him truly shine only when there's a mage at his side.
I'd appreciate any opinions or advice.

I'm not sure about balance and stuff, but I'll try and vote when I can.

3WhiteFox3
2013-05-21, 10:06 AM
I have a question about the Deepcaster. Is the mote cost only for when you cast a rune as part of a design? Or is it for anytime you want to cast the mote?

SamBurke
2013-05-21, 10:10 AM
I have a question about the Deepcaster. Is the mote cost only for when you cast a rune as part of a design? Or is it for anytime you want to cast the mote?

Anytime you cast a Rune, it costs the mote cost listed under the listing of the rune.

EDIT: Just reserved space for my new class, which will be the VIGORIST, based on Bioshock Infinite's Vigors. Wish me luck!

3WhiteFox3
2013-05-21, 05:03 PM
Anytime you cast a Rune, it costs the mote cost listed under the listing of the rune.

EDIT: Just reserved space for my new class, which will be the VIGORIST, based on Bioshock Infinite's Vigors. Wish me luck!

Thanks for the clarification. Under the description of Deepcasting, the only thing it says about Mote Costs is when it talks about creating a design. I assumed that you had to pay for each Rune, but I wanted to make sure.

A couple of things I noticed while reading through, I don't know if they've been covered elsewhere. I also realize that it's a bit late seeing as how the contest is over, but I thought that since you plan on porting this into it's own thread anyway, it would be useful for me to list these.

These are just things that confused me, maybe I'm just not reading it well enough. It's an awesome system though, and I can't wait to see what you do with it.

The feat Extra Designs doesn't state that you must have the Favorite Designs class feature or Gathering Designs class feature. Is this intentional? Can you take that feat to gain the ability to use those class features early by turning your number of pre-created or gathered designs from 0 to 1?
Does the Linkbinder only get to make links at 6th level? If so, then he loses out on any armor until that point.
The Practiced Mage is a good concept, but it's not very clear what the archtype does.
Folio of Designs, it's not clear how exactly this works, do you need it to prepare runes? If so how do you prepare runes? Is he supposed to know less Runes than a normal Deepcaster? Can you scribe designs from other Deepcasters into your Folio? It's similar to a Wizard's Spellbook, but how?
I'm not sure how Practice and Preparation works. Is there supposed to be a (minimum 1) disclaimer for this ability? And what does pre-create designs mean? It replaces Favorite Designs and doesn't explain exactly what it does. Also, Memories of Magic states: "Every time you think of a new design, you may inscribe it in your Folio of Designs, up to a number of designs equal to your level." so which is it? (1/2 Class Level)-1 as according to Practice and Preparation or up to your level? Or, do you only get to pre-create a number of designs up to (1/2CL -1) but have as many as your Class Level in your Folio of Designs.

SamBurke
2013-05-21, 05:40 PM
The feat Extra Designs doesn't state that you must have the Favorite Designs class feature or Gathering Designs class feature. Is this intentional? Can you take that feat to gain the ability to use those class features early by turning your number of pre-created or gathered designs from 0 to 1?
Does the Linkbinder only get to make links at 6th level? If so, then he loses out on any armor until that point.
The Practiced Mage is a good concept, but it's not very clear what the archtype does.
Folio of Designs, it's not clear how exactly this works, do you need it to prepare runes? If so how do you prepare runes? Is he supposed to know less Runes than a normal Deepcaster? Can you scribe designs from other Deepcasters into your Folio? It's similar to a Wizard's Spellbook, but how?
I'm not sure how Practice and Preparation works. Is there supposed to be a (minimum 1) disclaimer for this ability? And what does pre-create designs mean? It replaces Favorite Designs and doesn't explain exactly what it does. Also, Memories of Magic states: "Every time you think of a new design, you may inscribe it in your Folio of Designs, up to a number of designs equal to your level." so which is it? (1/2 Class Level)-1 as according to Practice and Preparation or up to your level? Or, do you only get to pre-create a number of designs up to (1/2CL -1) but have as many as your Class Level in your Folio of Designs.

I actually have another thread for the Deepcaster now, over here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283372)

-Extra Designs is intentional. If low-level characters want a design, I want them to have it. It's part of the "coolness" of the class.

-Linkbenders do have that disadvantage until 6th level, but it didn't make sense to just have it go away. Links, the way I imagined them, are EXTREMELY powerful things, and are a lot more versatile than the Patterns Sub-subsystem. What would you think about a way to fix it so Linkbenders aren't Gimped?

-For Practiced Mage, I added an explanation to Practice and Preperations: "This means that at level 10, you can create 4 Designs at the beginning of the day, instead of 2."

-Woah. A lot to change. First of all, I redid things as follows:
Folio of Designs(Su): At first level, you gain a Folio full of designs that you like, similar to the way that a wizard gains their spellbook. In addition, your Runes Known Progression is changed as follows: You gain 2 Runes known at first level, and an additional one at every even level following. You may inscribe designs from whatever source you desire, but may not have more than 1 per level, plus 1 for every point of Intelligence Bonus you have.

Practice and Preparation(Su): This replaces Favorite Design. At the beginning of each day, you may may pre-create a number of designs equal to half your Class Level -1, minimum of 1. This means that at level 10, you can create 4 Designs at the beginning of the day, instead of 2. The prepared Designs may be any designs that are in your Folio, or even those that are not. If you are casting a design that is not in your folio, it takes an additional mote.

Memories of Magic: At 11th level, once per day, you may choose a single Design from your folio to be cast without Depths or Patterns, but also expending only a single Mote.

3WhiteFox3
2013-05-21, 05:59 PM
I actually have another thread for the Deepcaster now, over here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283372)

-Extra Designs is intentional. If low-level characters want a design, I want them to have it. It's part of the "coolness" of the class.

-Linkbenders do have that disadvantage until 6th level, but it didn't make sense to just have it go away. Links, the way I imagined them, are EXTREMELY powerful things, and are a lot more versatile than the Patterns Sub-subsystem. What would you think about a way to fix it so Linkbenders aren't Gimped?

-For Practiced Mage, I added an explanation to Practice and Preperations: "This means that at level 10, you can create 4 Designs at the beginning of the day, instead of 2."

-Woah. A lot to change. First of all, I redid things as follows:

Awesome, much better now; I still don't know what should be done about the Linkbinder, though. I didn't see that thread, I'll post anything else I have to say about the class there so as to not clutter this thread anymore.

SamBurke
2013-05-21, 06:10 PM
Awesome, much better now; I still don't know what should be done about the Linkbinder, though. I didn't see that thread, I'll post anything else I have to say about the class there so as to not clutter this thread anymore.

No worries! Thanks for taking the time to look at a rather intimidating class...

Deviston
2013-05-23, 04:55 PM
Finally... huff huff huff ... done... huff ::hacks blood:: I need to rest now, too much... typing!

SamBurke
2013-05-23, 05:45 PM
Holy. Freaking. CRAP.

Why did I even do work this month? That is GLORIOUS! Seriously. Wow...

Deviston
2013-05-24, 03:59 PM
I have to take it down or modify names AND abilities. So, it will be tossed into its own thread and removed from the contest.

Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285089) is where they are now.

SamBurke
2013-05-24, 04:05 PM
I have to take it down or modify names AND abilities. So, it will be tossed into its own thread and removed from the contest.

Wait, why? What's wrong?

Deviston
2013-05-24, 04:13 PM
I have been reminded where I got some of the symbionts from. Another website. I pulled them a few years back and had forgotten that I got them from another website. However, since they originate there (not to mention the Eberron ones) it violates competition rules.

SamBurke
2013-05-24, 04:16 PM
I have been reminded where I got some of the symbionts from. Another website. I pulled them a few years back and had forgotten that I got them from another website. However, since they originate there (not to mention the Eberron ones) it violates competition rules.

Well that stinks... can't you just remove those? I mean, you caught it and all...

BTW, what game is that from?

Deviston
2013-05-24, 04:19 PM
Unfortunately, beside the Pathfinder converting, a but ton of new mechanics, the entire list is composed of unoriginal symbionts. Well, names and what they DO are all the same. In the end however, it's not original I don't think.

The game? Ahaa, a wonderful JRPG from PS1. Legend of Legaia (http://www.legendoflegaia.net/)

Edit: I actually didn't catch it sad to say. I was so excited about it I didn't even think about the possible breaking of rules haha, Milo caught it for me thankfully :)

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-24, 05:42 PM
And I didn't even get a chance to take a look at any of it. :smallfrown:

Ah well, I guess I'll just enjoy them when I get a chance to peruse their personal thread. Hopefully you'll still be able to submit something for this month, especially since we're so woefully short on entries.

In other news, the voting for last month's contest is closed and congratulations to the winners! I'll be doing the trophies when I get a chance, which with my birthday lunch/dinner tomorrow and some other things coming up this weekend may require me to take care of that on Memorial Day.

Deviston
2013-05-24, 05:48 PM
Yeah I'm in the middle of cranking out another 14 seru, fully original and will be ready by close date of the contest.

Milo v3
2013-05-24, 09:01 PM
It's really disappointing too, because I prefer the versions you posted to the originals.

Also, I'll probably be stealing them myself for my own setting. :smalltongue:

EDIT: Wait, more Seru... Yay! :smallbiggrin:

zhdarkstar
2013-05-25, 11:44 AM
Just finished putting together my Warforged Gunslinger archetype that's based on the Blue Bomber.

Feel free to comment and critique

Deviston
2013-05-25, 05:29 PM
It's really disappointing too, because I prefer the versions you posted to the originals.

Also, I'll probably be stealing them myself for my own setting. :smalltongue:

EDIT: Wait, more Seru... Yay! :smallbiggrin:

Ain't nothin to steal! I make this stuff for others to use :) Too much good material lost to copyrights and can't be taken by Pathfinder guys. SOMEONE has to do the converting :)

gr8artist
2013-05-25, 07:12 PM
Is it possible to extend the deadline a little, or allow multiple entries, since there are so few this month?
I considered doing an "Angry Marine" fighter template or a "Corsair" inquisitor archtype, but I think I'll just stick with my Final Fantasy derived Biskmatar for now. Reviews/critiques of the biskmatar would be greatly appreciate it. Specifically, I worry that "spell siphon" and "ravager's rush" might be too OP for actual use, and I need a good idea for a lvl 19 ability, since that's pretty much a dead level.

My Reviews

Cursed Knight
Specialization: I love the idea of specialization, but many of the abilities need to be filled out evenly. The 25 gold cost to retrain in Azeroth is pointless when in homebrew campaign settings. I would suggest letting the knight choose a sacred or special location, such as the place of his death/grave, or the citadel at which he receives training, and allowing him to retrain there for half price/half time. (although I think this may have been a joke)
Runic Blade: Currently, there's only 3 options for the runes that can be engraved onto your weapon, correct? I would like to see more. And move the info about channeling through your weapon into the runic powers ability descrip, to avoid confusion. Also, can you use a different runic weapon effect than your specialization? They seem to change independently of one another. If that's the case, I would recommend taking the frost/blood/unholy tag away from the runic weapon abilities.
Presence: The blood effect proc's weird against attacks that don't damage, such as ray spells that drain stats or cause conditions. It should specify more clearly when it activates.
Runic Powers: How many points do they receive, max? You also use the word "rune" or "runic" too much. Consider using something like "mote" or "mark" or "charge" for some abilities to avoid confusion. "Etched weapon", "Runic Powers", and "rune charges (charges)". Powers and cruelties will have to have save/resistance information.
Death and Decay: Standard action? Save? And I assume it functions as "heart strike/frost strike/scourge strike"? Because the phrase "runic strike" appears only once in your document.

Super fighting robot
Emergency subtank: Hypothetically, if you were at 15/60 HP and took 15 damage, and activated this ability, would you then have 30/60 HP? Because as it's worded now, it says "reduced to half HP" but if you're already almost down, it would be "raised to half HP"... I recommend using "gain half of your maximum hp" instead
Buster combat programming: I think you made a typo on the last sentence. "Busters with the scatter property may switch between bullets and pellets as a swift action once per round"

zhdarkstar
2013-05-25, 07:21 PM
Super fighting robot
Emergency subtank: Hypothetically, if you were at 15/60 HP and took 15 damage, and activated this ability, would you then have 30/60 HP? Because as it's worded now, it says "reduced to half HP" but if you're already almost down, it would be "raised to half HP"... I recommend using "gain half of your maximum hp" instead
Buster combat programming: I think you made a typo on the last sentence. "Busters with the scatter property may switch between bullets and pellets as a swift action once per round"

Thanks for catching those! Unlike the Mecha Sentai I made for the Hybrid Theory IV PrC Contest, I didn't have the +5 enhancement bonus to Concentration from my adderall when making SFR.

I changed it to "...instead have her current hit points set to half of her maximum hit points..." for situations where you are currently above 50% HP and get dropped in a single blow.

gr8artist
2013-05-25, 08:05 PM
NP. Feel free to comment and critique on mine as well. I'm interested to see what Sam does.

Edit: Updated the class, cleaned it up, and clarified a few things. Added some new feats too. Most of them are usable normally, but obviously designed with the Biskmatar in mind.

zhdarkstar
2013-05-25, 08:14 PM
For the Biskmatar, I like what you did with it. The only thing that bothers me are the two dead levels, considering this is Pathfinder. Maybe use 16th and 19th levels to enhance Elemental Blade's damage and Spell Siphon's range, respectively?

gr8artist
2013-05-25, 09:18 PM
Thanks. I added a Limit Break to level 19. Considering it's high-end play at that point, I don't know if it's overpowered or not. I'll take your advice for level 16, though.

zhdarkstar
2013-05-25, 11:06 PM
I like the changes made to Elemental Blade and Spell Siphon. Although one more possible suggestion for EB would be adding Int mod to EB damage as most of this class' abilities rely on other party members.

As for Limit Break, I like that the duration is tied to hit die and not levels as it gives it some use in Epic play and for NPCs with racial hit die. Demonic Knight (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/demonic-knight-tohc) would make for a mean BBEG Biskmatar and be able to set itself off for cold damage. Rather than granting the immunities, perhaps a +1/4 HD trance bonus to all saves would be the better bonus? It would be +4 when you get it and then become +5 at the next level, staying linked to the HD like the duration.

gr8artist
2013-05-26, 05:31 AM
The main reason I added the immunities was I needed to be able to ignore stagger since this only triggered at low/negative health. If others agree with you, I'll change it though, and I want a spell effect other than haste. With ravager's rush limited in its uses, it won't give the biskmatar too many extra turns. The spellcraft check for siphoning touch was necessary, I agree, especially since it allows casting out to close range. (though the biskmatar shouldn't be more than 25 feet away from the caster anyway.)
And although he's best when supported by a wizard, he's still pretty good in a tactics/leadership role if he's buffing himself with wands/scrolls.

zhdarkstar
2013-05-26, 08:48 AM
How about a trance bonus to all stats instead of haste? It would give the Biskmatar a more reliable increase in accuracy/damage output than haste, move their turn higher up the initiative count, gain a couple temporary HP, and generally perform better at anything involving their mental scores.

Keeping the stagger immunity is totally reasonable when you think about it. Perhaps keep that immunity but gain the bonus to saves against everything else. Plus when I think of a trance, I picture added physical and mental faculties due to mind over matter, which the current limit break doesn't really provide.

UPDATE: Added new Grit feats for Super Fighting Robot and lowered level requirement for Mega Buster.

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-27, 12:05 PM
Just stopping in real quick because I need to reply to my bard class since it's important for a quickly approaching Pathfinder game I'm running:

Zhdarkstar, Warforged were never part of the OGL, so I believe the thread you linked to could be doing copyright infringement. Regardless, Warforged were never made as part of Paizo's material.

They did introduce an Android race in the Inner Circle Sea setting if memory serves though, so you could re-do your archetype for that.

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-05-27, 12:38 PM
Just stopping in real quick because I need to reply to my bard class since it's important for a quickly approaching Pathfinder game I'm running.

I look forward to this! :smallsmile:

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-27, 01:23 PM
I look forward to this! :smallsmile:

Hehe. :smallwink:

Also, everyone, just as a friendly reminder:

You need the express written consent of an artist to use an image they created unless they specifically designate their art as being for fair use. Giving credit is not, I repeat, not sufficient enough. And if the image is a fan art or similar of copyrighted/product identity material you need both the written consent of the artist and the holder of the legal ownership of the concept. The only exception to this is if it is a photograph of actual merchandise, in which case you only need the photographer's written permission.

Roland is taking this gravely serious and I don't want this contest shut down or any one getting in trouble over an image they misused to give their entry more flair.

SamBurke
2013-05-27, 04:05 PM
I just double checked, and the stuff I'm using is all supposed to be "Fair Use", from what I understand.

Still, I'm a little scared...

zhdarkstar
2013-05-27, 04:44 PM
I just double checked, and the stuff I'm using is all supposed to be "Fair Use", from what I understand.

Still, I'm a little scared...

I think there's suspense all around wondering what's going to be in those two posts... :smallbiggrin:

SamBurke
2013-05-27, 05:11 PM
I think there's suspense all around wondering what's going to be in those two posts... :smallbiggrin:

I'm actually going to delete those two... I think I may need three. :smallbiggrin:

zhdarkstar
2013-05-27, 10:44 PM
I'm actually going to delete those two... I think I may need three. :smallbiggrin:

What a twist! Better get a move on as we're coming down to the wire.:smalltongue:

gr8artist
2013-05-28, 01:48 AM
Picture removed. Should I take down the quote as well?

SamBurke
2013-05-28, 10:10 AM
Biskamatar:

Crunch:
I like the idea of the abilities here. Giving a bonus when you get one, extending spell durations, taking a spell's damage and adding it to yours... But I have two problems.

1. Not many options. This class doesn't get many cool things to do in combat, and only one to do out of combat. I see that the bolded entries are the new abilities... look at how few there are after the first couple of levels. Filling the dead levels was a good touch, but I'm alllllllways weary of Bonus Feats being used to do that.

2. Underpowered. What with the bonus feats and all, the class doesn't seem to *do* a lot. Some levels (9, 12, 15, 18, etc, etc) you only get a 5' extension of your Arcane Aegis. While that's a cool feature, +5 feet is hardly a level's worth of advancement... Plus, it doesn't quite live up to the fluff: the idea is to enhance magic, and there are a lot of ways you *could* do it, but don't. Perhaps a pool of points that allows him to temporarily increase the caster level, or remove the damage cap on a spell, or increase the number of targets, or shape it, or allow it to also hit someone they're melee-ing with, or any number of other cool (and crunchy!) abilities.

I lied about only two.

3. No Choice. Now, a lot of 3.5 classes didn't give a choice, but the one thing I keep harping about in Pathfinder is choice. Every base class has a choice pretty much every other level, if not more often, of things they can do. Each character is distinctly individual. This class, however, has very little customization, or option to choose. That's fine, but it's got SO MUCH potential, I can barely stand it.

Seriously. This class has a great theme, with some great abilities as the groundwork. I'd love to see this thing pick up and take the win. Perhaps you could look back at the cool abilities the Biskamatar got in the FF games, try 'n steal some more of that awesome?

Fluff:
Whilst I've never played the Final Fantasy games, the purpose and use of this class comes through loud and clear. I'm the guy who loves playing Buffs'n'Heals, and this class talks about how great it is at buffing. Pray, tell me more!

The real thing is: does that fluff line up with that crunch?

Overall/Balance/Suggestions
Balance doesn't seem like a problem. Everything looks good.

But please, please, please, unleash the full potential here! I know there isn't a ton of time, but do. :smallbiggrin:

SamBurke
2013-05-28, 12:27 PM
AND, WITHOUT FURTHER ADO, I PRESENT... THE FALSE PROPHET!

The fluff is, IMO, sub-par, and hard to connect. But hey. It's Bioshock Infinite, plus a chunk ton of new Vigor Boosts. I'm still working to make it look pretty, but it's about there.

EDIT: If anybody can think of a better name than The False Prophet, please tell me... it was all I could get.

zhdarkstar
2013-05-28, 05:44 PM
AND, WITHOUT FURTHER ADO, I PRESENT... THE FALSE PROPHET!

The fluff is, IMO, sub-par, and hard to connect. But hey. It's Bioshock Infinite, plus a chunk ton of new Vigor Boosts. I'm still working to make it look pretty, but it's about there.

EDIT: If anybody can think of a better name than The False Prophet, please tell me... it was all I could get.

SWEET MOTHER OF CHRIST!

I'm going to have to brew a fresh pot just to get through this... :smalltongue:

zhdarkstar
2013-05-28, 06:19 PM
Zhdarkstar, Warforged were never part of the OGL, so I believe the thread you linked to could be doing copyright infringement. Regardless, Warforged were never made as part of Paizo's material.

They did introduce an Android race in the Inner Circle Sea setting if memory serves though, so you could re-do your archetype for that.

If you look at the home page for Eberron Pathfinder (https://sites.google.com/site/eberronpathfinder/Home), it lists that the work created there is under the Community Use Open Game License for Pathfinder. However, if it's still in violation, I will change it to Android (even though that race doesn't hold a candle to the Warforged :smalltongue:) to be within compliance. Although the Android doesn't really fit as well thematically as they are pure technology as opposed to the magic involved in creating Warforged. Please let me know as soon as possible, as I will have to rewrite all of the fluff (and possibly some features) because of this.

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-28, 06:19 PM
Picture removed. Should I take down the quote as well?

The copyright rule only covers photos.

And aw....I can't critique Sam's entry since I haven't gotten Infinite yet. :smallfrown:

Edit:

@Zhdarkstar:

Based on the original DUNGEONS & DRAGONS® rules created by E. Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson and the new
DUNGEONS & DRAGONS game designed by Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams, Richard Baker, and
Peter Adkison.
This WIZARDS OF THE COAST® game product contains no Open Game Content. No portion of this work may
be reproduced in any form without written permission. To learn more about the Open Gaming License and
the d20 System License, please visit www.wizards.com/d20.
This product uses updated material from the v.3.5 revision.

Emphasis on bolded selection. That's straight from the Eberron campaign setting book. I'll have to check if Races of Eberron has the same text.

zhdarkstar
2013-05-28, 06:31 PM
Now before I sit down for the overhaul, there's one thing I have to know. Is the Warforged issue applicable just to this contest or is it site-wide?

If it's the former, I may just pull it from the contest and give it its own thread. If the latter, I may just have to find a different site to post it on if I can't make the fluff fit the mechanics.

The big problem I have with using the Android race is that they are emotionless, which is the complete opposite of the robots in Mega Man. X was created with free will. This is what makes the class more in line thematically with Warforged and not Androids.

EDIT: If I were to replicate the Warforged conversion but with a different name as part of the entry that exists only as reference material (not to be judged for the contest), would the issue go away?

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-28, 06:44 PM
Now before I sit down for the overhaul, there's one thing I have to know. Is the Warforged issue applicable just to this contest or is it site-wide?

If it's the former, I may just pull it from the contest and give it its own thread. If the latter, I may just have to find a different site to post it on if I can't make the fluff fit the mechanics.

The big problem I have with using the Android race is that they are emotionless, which is the complete opposite of the robots in Mega Man. X was created with free will. This is what makes the class more in line thematically with Warforged and not Androids.

EDIT: If I were to replicate the Warforged conversion but with a different name as part of the entry that exists only as reference material (not to be judged for the contest), would the issue go away?

It'd be site wide and you'd probably find folks taking issue with it on any other site except the DnDwiki.

If you want to create a race AND a racial archetype to go with it, I'm fine with that being your entry as long as everyone else is fine with that.

zhdarkstar
2013-05-28, 07:02 PM
This close to the deadline, it's not worth it to try and make a race just like the Warforged simply to fit an archetype. I guess I'll start trying to find a way to make Android fit...

Stupid f#$%ing robots...

Although I do find it slightly amusing that a site with a big homebrew section is more of a stickler for copyright than Paizo.com. Their Conversions forum is filled to the brim with copyright violations of this nature, especially Warforged conversions.

EDIT: If I simply remove the link to the conversion, would it still be a copyright issue for posting on its own? As I have seen countless PF homebrew on this site have warforged archetypes or favored class options.

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-28, 07:19 PM
This close to the deadline, it's not worth it to try and make a race just like the Warforged simply to fit an archetype. I guess I'll start trying to find a way to make Android fit...

Stupid f#$%ing robots...

Although I do find it slightly amusing that a site with a big homebrew section is more of a stickler for copyright than Paizo.com. Their Conversions forum is filled to the brim with copyright violations of this nature, especially Warforged conversions.

EDIT: If I simply remove the link to the conversion, would it still be a copyright issue for posting on its own? As I have seen countless PF homebrew on this site have warforged archetypes or favored class options.

Well, is there anyway that you can have the archetype apply to any creature with the Construct type and the proper mental score?

I'd go into some explanation concerning that amusement, but it'd require discussing copyright law, which could be construed as legal advice, which is a major no-no by forum rules. Suffice to say though: The GitP staff, specifically Roland St. Jude, are some of the strictest Moderators and Administrators I've ever come across.

As for removing the link and keeping the reference....I'll ultimately leave that up to the decision of the other contestants if they feel that violates the "Pathfinder material only" rule of the contest.

zhdarkstar
2013-05-28, 07:48 PM
I just want to apologize if I came off the wrong way or offended you in any way with the posts. I'm just a big fan of Warforged. My favorite PC was a Artificer/Spellcaster using the Dual-class rules I found here that turned Woeforged (my own template) partway through the campaign. That's why I got all excited about making the archetype for Warforged.

I have no experience with the android race nor any real idea of their lore. The description in the ISB doesn't really give me much to go off of. If you could point in the direction of materials that help give the androids some kind of back story, that would be very appreciated.

EDIT: Would it be okay with everyone if I made it a racial archetype for both Warforged and Androids? The reason I ask is because I don't want to lose the Warforged-based lore, and it would be written such that the Warforged are the "Wily Wars Era" super fighting robots and the Androids are the Reploid equivalents.

EDIT 2: Rewrote lore connecting both races to the archetype. Major overhaul of the buster system concept. Obfuscated the riddle.

SamBurke
2013-05-29, 12:00 PM
And, I'm actually trying to get all of the GEAR from BS:I into that 4th post.

We'll see if I can make the deadline... if not, the class is still fairly solid, but I would LOVE to get the whole picture from the game.

@Tanuki: You should play it. I just watched LPs, but it is a FANTASTIC game, with some of the best play AND some of the best story in the history of gaming. It is not a "must have", it is not a "crime if you don't have," it is a, "you do not know the potential or the abilities of the shooter or RPG genres unless you have played this game." :smallbiggrin:

@Copyright: Well, this forum is a safehaven. I've seen almost NO negative commenting, anywhere, ever. So, that's the price we pay for security and peace.

SamBurke
2013-05-29, 02:07 PM
Also, new question: I'm writing up a conversion of alllllllllll of the items found in Bioshock Infinite, for submission, but I'm using the original names. Do those names need to be changed? Can the words "Sugar Rush", referring to a shirt that gives move bonus when you eat, even be copyrighted in any appreciable way?

Thoughts, guys?

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-29, 06:12 PM
Also, new question: I'm writing up a conversion of alllllllllll of the items found in Bioshock Infinite, for submission, but I'm using the original names. Do those names need to be changed? Can the words "Sugar Rush", referring to a shirt that gives move bonus when you eat, even be copyrighted in any appreciable way?

Thoughts, guys?

You should be fine. But if it worries you that much, go ahead and change the names.

And I can't answer a lot of your question since it's a forum no-no. :smallfrown:

gr8artist
2013-05-30, 05:14 AM
Well, I completely forgot about character specialization options in PF classes. Guess I need to do some more work.
Hopefully I'll have it done on time.
And guys, might want to double check that your pictures are OK to use.

SamBurke
2013-05-30, 09:46 AM
Well, I completely forgot about character specialization options in PF classes. Guess I need to do some more work.
Hopefully I'll have it done on time.
And guys, might want to double check that your pictures are OK to use.

DANG. Looking at all those options show up makes me happy inside.

Big Ole Burkeapproval on that! I hope you get it done, too!:smallbiggrin:

I should have the gear up later today, maybe tomorrow morning.

Tanuki, will there be an extension, based on a lot of entries that need to be polished up?

gr8artist
2013-05-30, 10:42 AM
Biskamatar:

Crunch:
I like the idea of the abilities here. Giving a bonus when you get one, extending spell durations, taking a spell's damage and adding it to yours... But I have two problems.

1. Not many options. This class doesn't get many cool things to do in combat, and only one to do out of combat. I see that the bolded entries are the new abilities... look at how few there are after the first couple of levels. Filling the dead levels was a good touch, but I'm alllllllways weary of Bonus Feats being used to do that.

2. Underpowered. What with the bonus feats and all, the class doesn't seem to *do* a lot. Some levels (9, 12, 15, 18, etc, etc) you only get a 5' extension of your Arcane Aegis. While that's a cool feature, +5 feet is hardly a level's worth of advancement... Plus, it doesn't quite live up to the fluff: the idea is to enhance magic, and there are a lot of ways you *could* do it, but don't. Perhaps a pool of points that allows him to temporarily increase the caster level, or remove the damage cap on a spell, or increase the number of targets, or shape it, or allow it to also hit someone they're melee-ing with, or any number of other cool (and crunchy!) abilities.

I lied about only two.

3. No Choice. Now, a lot of 3.5 classes didn't give a choice, but the one thing I keep harping about in Pathfinder is choice. Every base class has a choice pretty much every other level, if not more often, of things they can do. Each character is distinctly individual. This class, however, has very little customization, or option to choose. That's fine, but it's got SO MUCH potential, I can barely stand it.

Seriously. This class has a great theme, with some great abilities as the groundwork. I'd love to see this thing pick up and take the win. Perhaps you could look back at the cool abilities the Biskamatar got in the FF games, try 'n steal some more of that awesome?

Fluff:
Whilst I've never played the Final Fantasy games, the purpose and use of this class comes through loud and clear. I'm the guy who loves playing Buffs'n'Heals, and this class talks about how great it is at buffing. Pray, tell me more!

The real thing is: does that fluff line up with that crunch?

Overall/Balance/Suggestions
Balance doesn't seem like a problem. Everything looks good.

But please, please, please, unleash the full potential here! I know there isn't a ton of time, but do. :smallbiggrin:

Thanks for the feedback. I'd try and look over yours more in-depth, but I've been up way to late already. Anyway, I touched up the class, I'd like to see what everyone thinks now.
Crunch: I feel like there's a lot more "crunch" now. A lot of interesting game mechanics to work with, along with some tried-and-true ole' reliables.
1: We've got more options now. Basically, every 3 levels, you pick a specialty or sub-class and gain a new ability from there. You can't take the same one over and over every chance, so you'll have to split between at least 2 of the 3 (commando, ravager, sentinel). It works out so you can have 1/3/3 or 3/4 depending on preference. I suppose I could take off the limit and let you go all 7 in one category, but I'm not sure. Thoughts?
2: I think I added in more power. It's still not a wizard, doesn't have those options, but in turns battlefield control into child's play. Specifically, look at the abilities "launch", "ravager's rush", and "mighty guard". And his arcane training now helps him stop wizards from casting (although he still has to reach them)
3: Kinda' hand in hand with options now, we've got a lot more choice than we had before. Granted, before, you had a whole bunch of combat feats to pick from, but now you get to pick cool abilities.
Fluff: I was a little unsure what to do here, but I think the ravager ability set kinda' sets you up for what you're looking for. And enduring magic can now eventually support your team-mates, too. I wanted to give him everything I could just short of actual magic spells.
Balance: Not sure about it now. Nothing I added is as strong as a wizard gets at that level, but I don't think comparing balance to a wizard is what we're shooting for...

I hope you see the potential you were looking for. I'm still open to suggestions for feats/feat balance/new abilities/etc.

False Prophet:

Love the ideas, but I think you need to re-evaluate what you have now under the light of simple-minded/happy-go-lucky players. There's a lot of math, convoluted formulas (damage redirects from RtS come to mind) and other such headaches that make me hesitant to want to play this class. It's bad enough coming back to a character that has 2 types of energy/ability use limits after a week without play and trying to remember what I can do. With all of the optional boosts/different vigors/charge options, I feel that I'd have to have a small flowchart or something to make the most of the class.
And that makes me sad. I love the mechanics you have, I would just advise that you streamline the process somehow.
1: Rolling shield at the start of every encounter? I don't have 9d4 on me, so late game that's going to be like rolling initiative 10 or more times.
2: Salts are a valuable commodity early on, but they freebie refill after every fight? I'm going to throw devil's kiss at everything. Free suped-up fireball for every fight? and no fire immunity after level 7? Haha.
3: The Vigors themselves need more description on their specific effects.
How long does BB last?
Where do the extra fireballs from DK go, how far, and how big an explosion when they get there? Half on successful save? or none?
Charge: Immediate attack, that can get me away from charging lion-totem-barbarians? Yes please.
Murder of crows: is that 1/3 levels? Great ability though, love it.
Why does possession work on technology? and what is "technology" in DnD?
RtS: Absorbs up to half your *current* shield per turn, for 1 turn per level, and can redirect a third of that? So the amount it can absorb reduces every round, effectively? For me, simple things like "half damage" or "DR 10" work better, but I might just be weird. I like as little math at the table as possible.
SJ: What if they succeed the save?
Undertow has the most amazing knockback effect ever.
Vigor boosts: I assume the second tier boosts are the ones that are centered. Do we need to pay salt for the T1 to use the T2? If so, the salt cost gets really high.

All in all, I love the idea of the class, but I think it needs more clarity.

SamBurke
2013-05-30, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'd try and look over yours more in-depth, but I've been up way to late already. Anyway, I touched up the class, I'd like to see what everyone thinks now.
Crunch: I feel like there's a lot more "crunch" now. A lot of interesting game mechanics to work with, along with some tried-and-true ole' reliables.
1: We've got more options now. Basically, every 3 levels, you pick a specialty or sub-class and gain a new ability from there. You can't take the same one over and over every chance, so you'll have to split between at least 2 of the 3 (commando, ravager, sentinel). It works out so you can have 1/3/3 or 3/4 depending on preference. I suppose I could take off the limit and let you go all 7 in one category, but I'm not sure.

I hope you see the potential you were looking for. I'm still open to suggestions for feats/feat balance/new abilities/etc.
OH. YES.

That thing looks BEAUTIFUL now, and, barring further update, will be stealing away my first place vote like an idiotic girl in a teen vampire's arms.

I like the fact that the abilities are interchangeable, IE, you are FORCED to choose from several different ones. Perhaps you could have an archetype which is only *able* to choose from one of the 3, but gets some small benefit?

Those sub-options reaaaaally puts the last shine on the class, IMO.

False Prophet:
Love the ideas, but I think you need to re-evaluate what you have now under the light of simple-minded/happy-go-lucky players. There's a lot of math, convoluted formulas (damage redirects from RtS come to mind) and other such headaches that make me hesitant to want to play this class. It's bad enough coming back to a character that has 2 types of energy/ability use limits after a week without play and trying to remember what I can do. With all of the optional boosts/different vigors/charge options, I feel that I'd have to have a small flowchart or something to make the most of the class.
I definitely see your point. Most of my mechanics are very complicated the first time around, and then more simple. I agree that I need to simplify further, to make it easier to use...

My best suggestion is that I'll clean it up, AND the players should write down the DCs.

1: Rolling shield at the start of every encounter? I don't have 9d4 on me, so late game that's going to be like rolling initiative 10 or more times.
I've changed this to be rolled the first time it's obtained, like HP.

2: Salts are a valuable commodity early on, but they freebie refill after every fight? I'm going to throw devil's kiss at everything. Free suped-up fireball for every fight? and no fire immunity after level 7? Haha. Most of the boosts are fairly expensive, and Devil's Kiss only deals damage as if it was a normal fireball, in a smaller blast area.
How long does BB last?
Where do the extra fireballs from DK go, how far, and how big an explosion when they get there? Half on successful save? or none?
Charge: Immediate attack, that can get me away from charging lion-totem-barbarians? Yes please.
Murder of crows: is that 1/3 levels? Great ability though, love it.
RtS: Absorbs up to half your *current* shield per turn, for 1 turn per level, and can redirect a third of that? So the amount it can absorb reduces every round, effectively? For me, simple things like "half damage" or "DR 10" work better, but I might just be weird. I like as little math at the table as possible.
Vigor boosts: I assume the second tier boosts are the ones that are centered. Do we need to pay salt for the T1 to use the T2? If so, the salt cost gets really high.

[/SPOILER][/QUOTE]
MORE COMING. NOT DONE!

SamBurke
2013-05-30, 04:22 PM
OH. YES.

That thing looks BEAUTIFUL now, and, barring further update, will be stealing away my first place vote like an idiotic girl in a teen vampire's arms.

I like the fact that the abilities are interchangeable, IE, you are FORCED to choose from several different ones. Perhaps you could have an archetype which is only *able* to choose from one of the 3, but gets some small benefit?

Those sub-options reaaaaally puts the last shine on the class, IMO.

I definitely see your point. Most of my mechanics are very complicated the first time around, and then more simple. I agree that I need to simplify further, to make it easier to use...

My best suggestion is that I'll clean it up, AND the players should write down the DCs.

I've changed this to be rolled the first time it's obtained, like HP.
Most of the boosts are fairly expensive, and Devil's Kiss only deals damage as if it was a normal fireball, in a smaller blast area.

I don't think I understand... is it unclear what they do?

How long does BB last?
Ah, fixed. Now it's 1d4 turns.

They go to any target within 20' of an edge of Devil's Kiss (including inwards, actually!), and only deal damage to the target chosen. This was specified in the wording.

As to save, I'll specify that in the vigors section, with the following wording: "If the Vigor deals damage, it is halved on a successful save."

Charge: Immediate attack, that can get me away from charging lion-totem-barbarians? Yes please. My goal is that each ability has its own uses, good parts, and bad. Charge/Possession are great Out of Combat, and have some IC use as well.

Murder of crows: is that 1/3 levels? Great ability though, love it.It is, yes. Fixed for ease of viewing.

It works like that cause of Bioshock Infinite. In BS:I, it ONLY works on Tech until you get a boost... but there's not many machines or gates or anything. For "technology" I would say anything that has moving parts... doors, locks, machines, magical tech...

It is now Damage Reduction. SIMPLE!

Damage is halved, as above.

It's even better in the game, because there are railings EVERYWHERE, so people get thrown off... so it's one of the more powerful. It's also the 7th/8 obtained, so... balance.

You can activate whichever boost you choose to. You must POSSESS the pre-requisite Boost in order to obtain the second tier, but you don't have to use its salts. I'll clarify that under Vigor Boosts.

[/SPOILER]
Welp, hopefully that cleans up most of the problems... what other clarity issues did you see? I'd like to clean it up as much as possible, as I know it's a little rough.

zhdarkstar
2013-05-30, 09:33 PM
Other than coming up with a better way to list the vigor boost tiers, I see nothing else that needs clarifying. It took me a reread of the class to realize that the center aligned boosts were the second tier.

With 19/88 different boosts available by level 20, this class is practically a system unto itself. Even if there was an Extra Boost feat, you'd barely be able to scratch the surface of the amount of builds possible.

My hat's off to you, sir. It was totally worth the wait.

gr8artist
2013-05-31, 05:23 AM
After the competition, we may want to make new threads for our builds, for more detail and nitpicking.
As it is, I think we're all good enough to compete, except for the unfinished cursed knight :smallfrown:
Anyway, I might suggest what Tanta was saying about the SFR - Make it applicable to any construct. That way, it's less campaign/race specific, unless that's what you were going for.
As for a replacement name for the "False Prophet"... Perhaps "Vigorist" or "Meta-psion". Or you could add in some fluff about his abilities manipulating waves or threads of energy, call him the "wavebender" or somesuch.
Right now, his Vigors are obviously unnatural phenomenon that one cannot acquire through only physical training, so the (Ex) tag seems out of place. Perhaps make them spell-like or psionic abilities? And is there anything that prevents you from starting with bucking bronco/undertow at first level? Also, you need to clarify what exactly provokes, and for how long, when an opponent is pulled toward you with Ut.
As for the "Tiers"... just do away with them. List in any T2 boosts the specific names of the T1 boosts that you must possess. Also, you may want to look and see if you can consolidate the boosts, ie one that doubles duration, that could apply to BB, MoC, RtS, and Pos.

Also, Tanta... We're done voting for next month's contest, right? It will be "Origin of Species"?

zhdarkstar
2013-05-31, 06:13 AM
Anyway, I might suggest what Tanta was saying about the SFR - Make it applicable to any construct. That way, it's less campaign/race specific, unless that's what you were going for.

A) I like having it be race specific as the lore serves as a psuedobridge between the two "living" construct races. I'm fairly certain Paizo created the Androids with elements of the Warforged in mind, but couldn't say much due to copyright.

B) I would have had to go through most of the constructs in the bestiary to determine what would be the qualifiers and how badly this class's features could be abused. So I stuck with the two major PC construct races that are 0HD to keep it simple.

EDIT: Is there a specific cutoff time? As I have one more deed swap I'd like to make, but I'll wait until after the contest to do so, if need be.

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-31, 10:46 AM
Also, Tanta... We're done voting for next month's contest, right? It will be "Origin of Species"?

Yes. Sorry. Next month's theme will be Origin of Species. And as soon as I get a chance, I'll be doing last month's trophies (I have to rush around a bit today to try and get my Pathfinder game started).

@Zhdarkstar: Cut off time is tonight at 11:59 pm EST.

zhdarkstar
2013-05-31, 11:30 AM
Sweet. I was afraid I wasn't going to find out before I had to go to work.

Dash Boots have been added as a Gunslinger's Dodge variant that works against melee and has no armor restriction for an increase in grit point cost mechanic. I left in the part about it being treated as Gunslinger's Dodge for the sake of Gunman's Duster.

Razanir
2013-05-31, 11:35 AM
This time for sure. School has let out for the summer, I should theoretically be able to actually finish, edit AND submit an entry for once. My question, though. Are non-literal interpretations of the theme allowed. Like can we evolve things other than species?

Deviston
2013-05-31, 04:38 PM
14 more "seru" as promised. Now, time to rest my liquified brain. 43 creatures is tuuuuur muuuuurch!

SamBurke
2013-05-31, 04:57 PM
Holy CRAP, man.

I thought I could get stuff done fast... wow...

zhdarkstar
2013-05-31, 10:30 PM
Just reclassified Mega Buster as a Grit feat and included Fast Musket as a bonus deed, because it makes sense that having a two-handed firearm in your arm should make it a little bit easier to reload. Therefore, if you have Quick Draw, Rapid Reload, and TWF, you could dual wield muskets at -6/-6. Not a bad payoff if you ask me. DM discretion is advised when using it in a game with advanced firearms as it could lead to unbalance.

EDIT: Not sure what this site's policy is on posting links to character sheets (I'll take the links down if I'm in violation) but I came up with two sample android NPCs for my friend to throw at my old gaming group. These aren't going to be added to the SFR until after the contest as I just want these to exist as reference documents for DMs and players to get ideas for builds. In their current state, they are more suited to be used as bosses against an evil party, however both can easily be given a new name (X as Bass, Zero as Omega) if used as evil bosses. This is because their stats are on a higher point buy and their busters exceed WBL by a country mile.

With further ado, I present to you X and Zero!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7yz7eq8v58uj723/X.pdf
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jxasl363ytydl7i/Zero.pdf

iTookUrNick
2013-06-01, 03:04 AM
After the competition, we may want to make new threads for our builds, for more detail and nitpicking.
As it is, I think we're all good enough to compete, except for the unfinished cursed knight :smallfrown:
Med School has been eroding my Homebrewing time. :smallfrown:
Fortunately, I see many others have succeeded where I failed. Good luck to all the participants, and may the best one prevail! :smallsmile:

Tanuki Tales
2013-06-01, 11:22 AM
Well, new thread is up and everything everyone!

I'll update the first post and get out the trophies from the previous voting thread some time later today.

gr8artist
2013-06-02, 09:33 AM
I'm debating what to make my entry. I'm thinking the pre-historic ancestors of kobolds.
They'd be medium sized, intelligent, and proud. But they'd be getting picked off by bigger lizards because they're so fearless. So only the cowardly hiders would survive.
Thus, their heritage would never be the same.
If I went this route, should I make them a race or a creature? I suppose I could do a low-CR creature, then put the racial build in spoilers for extra info, but my entry would be the creature. I might switch it to a race if the majority of entries are creatures.

Would anybody be interested in seeing this?

Deviston
2013-06-02, 10:57 AM
Make it a creature with a "X as characters" entry at the end like the other monstrous races.

Tanuki Tales
2013-06-02, 02:10 PM
Would anybody be interested in seeing this?

Me!

And what Deviston said.

SamBurke
2013-06-03, 08:15 AM
As for a replacement name for the "False Prophet"... Perhaps "Vigorist" or "Meta-psion". Or you could add in some fluff about his abilities manipulating waves or threads of energy, call him the "wavebender" or somesuch.
Right now, his Vigors are obviously unnatural phenomenon that one cannot acquire through only physical training, so the (Ex) tag seems out of place. Perhaps make them spell-like or psionic abilities? And is there anything that prevents you from starting with bucking bronco/undertow at first level? Also, you need to clarify what exactly provokes, and for how long, when an opponent is pulled toward you with Ut.
As for the "Tiers"... just do away with them. List in any T2 boosts the specific names of the T1 boosts that you must possess. Also, you may want to look and see if you can consolidate the boosts, ie one that doubles duration, that could apply to BB, MoC, RtS, and Pos.

-The reason I put is as EX is faithfulness to source material. In game, they show up as literal bottles of power-granting liquid, with no "magic" about them... it's a form of pseudo-science, along with the floating city et all.

-There is nothing to prevent you from having BB/UT at first level. My personal choice for a combo at Level 1 would be different (Possession, Devil's Kiss), but that is possible.

-The charged ability of UT can be activated just like any other charged ability. Nothing "provokes" it, you just decide to use the ability.

-The reason I did tiers is for ease of reading and understanding. It makes more sense to me visually, and is easier to understand. That said, I will actually explain it when I put up the finished class elsewhere.

-I specifically decided against consolidating boosts. 1st, there are few that could do so. 2nd, it would throw off the balance to do so (some boosts would be valuable for more than one vigor, as opposed to individualized), and 3rd, that would step a bit farther away from source material.

Tanuki Tales
2013-06-06, 09:56 AM
So, how is everyone doing?

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-06-06, 10:13 AM
So, how is everyone doing?

Pretty good! I think I'm making breakthroughs on some personal projects, and that is a serious relief!

SamBurke
2013-06-06, 10:59 AM
Busy IRL, so I will *not* be entering anything into this month's contest.

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-06-06, 11:13 AM
Busy IRL, so I will *not* be entering anything into this month's contest.

:smallfrown: Ah end of the year times.

SamBurke
2013-06-06, 11:40 AM
:smallfrown: Ah end of the year times.

Actually, a summer x3speed course. :smallbiggrin:

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-06-06, 11:48 AM
Actually, a summer x3speed course. :smallbiggrin:

Noted! I need to start reading everyone's entries for last month so I can vote...and then find their links to their threads for critiques, or at least to follow their progress. :smallbiggrin:

SamBurke
2013-06-06, 12:30 PM
Noted! I need to start reading everyone's entries for last month so I can vote...and then find their links to their threads for critiques, or at least to follow their progress. :smallbiggrin:

Indeed! I'm planning on doing a companion class to the False Prophet later, called the Child of Many Worlds. Because what would Booker be without his faithful Elizabeth? :smallwink:

Then, of course, there's gear to get done, and maybe, just maybe, some monsters....:smallbiggrin:

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-06-06, 01:06 PM
Indeed! I'm planning on doing a companion class to the False Prophet later, called the Child of Many Worlds. Because what would Booker be without his faithful Elizabeth? :smallwink:

Then, of course, there's gear to get done, and maybe, just maybe, some monsters....:smallbiggrin:

Don't tell me this! Now I'm just going to be drooling while I wait. :smallsigh:

SamBurke
2013-06-06, 03:53 PM
Don't tell me this! Now I'm just going to be drooling while I wait. :smallsigh:

Why do you think I told you? :smalltongue: I hear DoomWombat drool fetches a couple Gs these days!

Tanuki Tales
2013-06-08, 06:58 PM
Feel your pain Sam; doing a Summer course myself (plan to knock out most of this week's work tomorrow. This week has been a busy one).

If you haven't voted yet anyone, please do so.

SamBurke
2013-06-08, 07:00 PM
A strong second for voting. It's at the bottom of Tanuki's sig, and it's simple as all get-out.

Tanuki Tales
2013-06-12, 08:53 AM
So, shall we start deciding on July's theme?

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-06-12, 08:59 AM
Sounds good to me! Should we go with previous suggestions that weren't picked last time, or how are we doing this?

Tanuki Tales
2013-06-12, 10:03 AM
Sounds good to me! Should we go with previous suggestions that weren't picked last time, or how are we doing this?

That's up to any one of you if you want to put one of the last theme-hopefuls back into the running.

I personally hope someone suggests a Fae related theme after what happened at E3.

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-06-12, 10:56 AM
That's up to any one of you if you want to put one of the last theme-hopefuls back into the running.

I personally hope someone suggests a Fae related theme after what happened at E3.

What happened at E3??

Tanuki Tales
2013-06-12, 11:08 AM
What happened at E3??

E3 Spoiler!
Pokemon has officially revealed its 18th type; Fairy. It is Super Effective against Dragon types and is rumored to be immune to Dragon type moves.

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-06-12, 11:26 AM
E3 Spoiler!
Pokemon has officially revealed its 18th type; Fairy. It is Super Effective against Dragon types and is rumored to be immune to Dragon type moves.

Oh yes! I fae-led to realize that connection. My bad.

SamBurke
2013-06-12, 12:44 PM
My gosh, Wombat. :smallbiggrin: Such a FAIRY bad pun!

Anyway... I can see fae. Dunno if I'll participate for the next few times, at least until I get this whole BS:I homebrew out of my head and onto the forums.

Tanuki Tales
2013-06-13, 06:43 PM
Hehe...puns.

So...it's the 13th; someone is going to at least enter, correct?

Also, let's get the theme vote for next month going, shall we?

gr8artist
2013-06-14, 04:17 AM
I'd like to see a contest based on Comics/Manga/Graphic Novels...

Or horror genre material. I would love to whip up a Cthulhuian Cultist.

Also, I am planning to enter, but I'm debating which of two ideas to use. I'm actually not even sure the second idea is valid for the theme, but it goes along with "evolution".

First is the aforementioned Kobold creature/race. Proud, mighty, and strong, these scaly descendants of dragonkind are finding themselves up against stronger and stronger dinosaurs. With open combat now (for the first time) out of the question... can the Kobolds learn to adapt to underground life, learn to hide instead of charge, and learn to set traps for their prey?
Second is the Geneticist, a 10-level PrC for alchemists/druids (or alch/anything-with-a-familiar-or-companion). Researching the genetic material of the creatures it kills, the Geneticist learns to mold its companion into a fiercer, stronger beast. And hopefully, along the way, to improve upon his own natural flaws as well.

The problem is, I can't decide which one to do. I'm leaning toward the Geneticist, though the Kobold would be easier (I suppose). The kobold feels a little too... bland, like a run-of-the-mill half-dragon-lizardfolk. It's funny to think about, the idea that a creature could reverse-evolve (leave it to kobolds), but there's not a lot of depth.
I could definitely come up with interesting material for the Geneticist, but I'm not sure it's entirely in-line with the theme.

Edit: Third, I could do Kha'zix.

SamBurke
2013-06-14, 08:38 AM
I'd love to see your take on the Geneticist. What with your past few entries, I'm sure whatever you do will be fantastic.

Tanuki Tales
2013-06-14, 09:37 AM
Kha'zix would be pretty awesome to see (heck, a League of Legends contest would be cool too), but I personally would like to see Prehistoric Kobolds.

@Sam: Any names for your proposed themes?

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-06-14, 09:59 AM
I've got one: Pun Parapalooza - All entries must be based off of some sort of play on words.

gr8artist
2013-06-14, 10:19 AM
Pun Parapalooza - All entries must be based off of some sort of play on words.
Yes, this.

Alternatively... this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207387)

Tanuki Tales
2013-06-14, 10:26 AM
{table=head]Proposed Name|Theme
Pun Parapalooza|Puns and Plays on Words
Name Pending|Misspelled words[/table]

That's two!

And whoopsies...I forgot to update the first post back on the first. >.<

SamBurke
2013-06-14, 10:27 AM
A magitech themed one.

Also, a science-fiction one.

I already have my class idea ironed out for those two... it will be ELGLORIOUSO.

Tanuki Tales
2013-06-14, 10:45 AM
Ilogical Lexicone|Misspelled words
Third Law|Magitech
To Go Boldly|Science Fiction[/table]

That's four.

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-06-14, 11:00 AM
Ilogical Lexicone - misspelled words :smallbiggrin:

SamBurke
2013-06-14, 11:02 AM
Third Law for Magitech...

To Go Boldly for SciFi?

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-06-14, 11:25 AM
To Go Boldly for SciFi?

Or alternately - "May the Force be Homebrew". :smallbiggrin:

Tanuki Tales
2013-06-14, 11:42 AM
Names added.

Wombat and Gr8, you still have one each.

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-06-14, 11:48 AM
I'll do Homebrewed Homebrew again.

Tanuki Tales
2013-06-14, 11:49 AM
I'll do Homebrewed Homebrew again.

That was the crafting one, right?

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-06-14, 11:51 AM
That was the crafting one, right?

Indeed. Let me seeee...here it is!

it could be for any kind of craftsman, spell crafting, even construct crafting (It's ALIVE!).

Tanuki Tales
2013-06-14, 12:10 PM
Third Law|Magitech
To Go Boldly|Science Fiction
Homebrewed Homebrews|Crafting in general[/table]

That's five.

zhdarkstar
2013-06-14, 09:24 PM
I got an idea for a theme.

That's All Folks! - Cartoon Physics

gr8artist
2013-06-15, 05:39 AM
My suggestions were in my previous post: Manga/graphic-novels and Horror

Edit: also, I'm going ahead with the geneticist. I'll put the kobolds in a spoiler so I don't lose them if I Tanta says I can't use the Geneticist.

DawnbringerSO
2013-06-15, 07:09 AM
A call for a hero - Dragons

Tanuki Tales
2013-06-15, 08:15 AM
Third Law|Magitech
To Go Boldly|Science Fiction
Homebrewed Homebrews|Crafting in general
That's All Folks!|Cartoon physics
Name Pending|Horror
Name Pending|Manga/Graphic novels
A Call for a Hero|Dragons[/table]

That's nine. Just need 1 more!

DawnbringerSO
2013-06-15, 12:49 PM
just to make sure, the third law doesn't require the use of magic in the entry, only has to have technology involved, should it be picked.

SamBurke
2013-06-15, 03:13 PM
just to make sure, the third law doesn't require the use of magic in the entry, only has to have technology involved, should it be picked.

Right. It's tech that could be construed as magic.

gr8artist
2013-06-15, 03:31 PM
Oh, yeah... names.
"The Call of Cthul-brew" for Horror
and "Worth a Thousand Words" for manga/comics/webcomics/graphic novels

Suggestion - Winners' Circle
(submissions would have to be themed around any previous competition winner. For example a Deepcaster PrC. The inclusion of MLTSP and MUE victors is optional. Though an "oddball's rebound" contest could be fun, in which you had to theme around any MUE winner.)

And the preliminary draft of my Geneticist is up, if anyone cares. Uncanny Evolutions will basically be monster templates (giant, advanced, celestial, entropic, etc...)

SamBurke
2013-06-15, 03:42 PM
I would suggest "Winner's Circle" if I didn't have two...

Question: would designing an Encounter be a legit entry? Ruling...?

Tanuki Tales
2013-06-15, 04:40 PM
Right. It's tech that could be construed as magic.

I thought Magictech was defined as a blending of magic and technology. :smallconfused:

Edit:

@Sam:

I'll say as a general entry, no. But we could do a contest around making an encounter if you guys wish.

SamBurke
2013-06-15, 04:48 PM
Well, then. That'll be next month's entry for me.

gr8artist
2013-06-15, 10:58 PM
I'm up for anything. The encounter could be interesting, but it would limit us to only creatures and templates, right? Or I guess we could do a gang, but the objective of this competition would get a little murky if we have multiple creatures and stuff.

DawnbringerSO
2013-06-16, 06:30 AM
I thought Magictech was defined as a blending of magic and technology. :smallconfused:

Edit:

@Sam:

I'll say as a general entry, no. But we could do a contest around making an encounter if you guys wish.

The third law was my vote for last time, and I put it forth.

It's any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Not that the technology is actually magic.

The theme should be technology. And a technology theme can include magic.

The entry I have planned for this theme has absolutely nothing to do with magic.

Tanuki Tales
2013-06-16, 08:50 AM
and I put it forth.

No, you didn't. Sam suggested a Magitech theme this time around and chose to call it Third Law.

Edit:

There's still one slot though, so if you want to suggest a technology theme, go on ahead.

DawnbringerSO
2013-06-16, 09:11 AM
No, you didn't.

As I said, last time I put it forth, not this time. The previous vote.

And Samburke has already said it's ok to not have magic involved.

In any case, the theme "magitech" and the theme "technology" are basically exactly the same, as "technology" covers and can be used for "magitech".

Tanuki Tales
2013-06-17, 11:10 AM
So, we need a tenth theme.

DawnbringerSO
2013-06-17, 12:51 PM
How about silly stuff as a theme?

Tanuki Tales
2013-06-19, 10:12 AM
How about silly stuff as a theme?

Silly as in...?

3WhiteFox3
2013-06-19, 01:17 PM
What about a competition about any element from the OOTS comic?

DawnbringerSO
2013-06-19, 03:55 PM
Silly as in...?

You know, as in something that has comedic value. Like the humongous fungus or the flying spaghetti monster.

Deviston
2013-06-22, 09:07 PM
My entry for this month is up. It is a race that matches up with my submission from last month.