PDA

View Full Version : Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Ghostfoot
2013-04-06, 02:08 AM
THE AGE OF WORMS HAS BEGUN!

Since the beginning of history, humanity has measured time in Ages. Ages of Glory, of Dreams, and even of Great Sorrows mark the human tally of years, giving a sense of order to the events of past centuries. But one age has yet to occur - an age of darkness, of decay, and of writhing doom. Witty bards and wrathful preachers know it as the Age of Worms, weaving it into the peripheries of their passion plays as a mythic era of destruction that could begin at any time. Astrologers, diviners, and the servants of Fate know more. The canniest among them fear that the Age of Worms has already begun.

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q710/Ghostfoot/AofW_zpsd6547a3f.jpg

Overview of Daggerford

The community of Daggerford is a walled village of stone buildings and a small castle. It sits strategically on the shore of the River Delimbiyr, keeping the Trade Way open for merchants travelling between the nearby City of Splendors, Waterdeep and other communities to the south and east. Most residents of Daggerford can be categorised into two groups: those with nowhere else to turn, and those who have come to exploit them. It is a rough place home to human miners, farmers and craftsmen. A number of halflings, and a handful of folk of other races also dwell in the village. There are a number of isolated farms and estates in the surrounding area. The gnomish warren of Grossetgrottel and the dwarven stronghold of Greysmere are both in the vicinity and actively trade with Daggerford.

Daggerford Environs

Daggerford sits about 120 miles south-east of Waterdeep and is about 40 miles from the Sword Coast. Ardeep Forest sits to the north-west and the Misty Forest to the south-west. Both have populations of elves present, although they tend to keep to themselves.
Further south-east along the Trade Way, past the Misty Forest sits Dragonspear Castle. This former stronghold of devilish creatures is now manned by a small garrison of Tempus-worshippers who guard travellers against the goblinoids inhabiting the High Moor. Also to the south near Dragonspear Castle lies the Trollbark Forest, an area thick with trolls.
Closer to Daggerford, where the River Delimbiyr approaches the Sword Coast and turns into a maze of waterways, lies Lizard Marsh. This area is home to numerous tribes of lizard men, and to a lesser extent dinosaurs and black dragons.

Map

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q710/Ghostfoot/Daggerfordandenvirons_zpsc70cc448.jpg

Recent History
Nearly two years ago, unknown assassins poisoned the Duke of Daggerford and his entire family, leaving the duchy without an heir. Soon thereafter, the Town Council met and elected Lanod Ondabar of Irieabor, the little-known brother of the well-respected Delfen “Yellowknife” Ondabar as Governor-Mayor. Delfen is well known as “the smartest man in town” and provides his services as a sage.

Rumors suggest that the Town Council settled on Lanod Ondabar as a compromise candidate and lesser evil in lieu of Balabar Smenk, a disreputable mining magnate. As Governor-General, Lanod quickly appointed his old associate Cubbin, as sheriff and began selling political favors from the former duke’s castle to the highest bidder. In less than 24 months, the once-proud town of Daggerford has become synonymous with vice and exploitation, to the frustration of Sherlen Spearslayer (the local militia commander). Long-established businesses have been sold, their owners forced out by “new investors” allied with Lanod and Cubbin. In conscious imitation of the Lords of Waterdeep, the identities of the 23-member Town Council of Daggerford are nominally secret except to each other, but everyone knows the roster includes the town’s guild¬masters and most prominent clerics.

The Adventure

Daggerford

1st of Kythorn, 1374 DR

Idle chatter around the village has alerted you to a trio of richly dressed newcomers who frequent the taproom of the Happy Cow, Daggerford’s most notorious tavern. The confident heroes of the City of Splendors bragged of hard-won battles on their journey to Daggerford, and of their intention to explore the long abandoned Stirgenest Cairn in the nearby hills. You, being residents of Daggerford, know that cairn is often explored by the community’s youth, who always find it completely empty of marvels and perfectly harmless.

Not so another cairn about a day’s walk from the village. This cairn lies near an iron mine that went dry about 50 years ago. The mine’s charter lapsed when its manager died a few years later. Situated in a sort of no-man’s land, the cairn was all but forgotten, its yawning entrance overgrown with weeds and choked with debris. Rediscovered by a curious teenager a decade ago, the cairn has since been a sort of community secret held by Daggerford’s youth, who dare each other to disappear into its cyclopean entrance to prove their bravery.

Occasionally, when the wind is just right, haunting, almost magical tones emerge from the depths of the forlorn tomb. Those who know of its location call it the Whispering Cairn. If adventurers from Waterdeep expect to discover hidden passages and riches within the Stirgenest Cairn, it stands to reason that the Whispering Cairn might also hold a genuine opportunity for profit. In the rough-and-tumble village of Daggerford, an opportunity for profit is an opportunity to escape.

For one reason or another you have all spent the evening at Zalamandra's Emporium, a tavern/ vice den/ gambling hall/ freak show frequented by the hard-living miners of Daggerford. Whether there to drink, eavesdrop, work, sightsee, or simply to wager on rats and tiny spear-wielding jermlaine fight it out in a table-top maze, you have got together and decided that you will give it a shot...

Okay – time for everyone to check in, equip yourselves with any special equipment that you might want (let me know any purchases that you make), take any other actions that you might want to, and we can then swiftly head off to the beginning of the adventure.

=> Party

NovaZulu
2013-04-07, 12:58 AM
'Ah fellows, I feel certain that the comming expidition will leave us fast friends on our way to fortune and fame ... or dead' says Revell Jypch, 'Either of which is universally acknowledged as preferable to an extended stay in Daggerford.'

Revell busies himself around Zalamandra's using bon hommie, minor illusions and bawdy poetry to entertain the patrons and find what info he can about Whispering Cairn and the abandoned Iron Mine.

OOC

Checking to see if Rev knows anything useful about Whispering Cairn + Iron Mine and Strigenest Cairn (esp monsters, traps, secrets, curses etc)

Whis + Iron Mine
Knowledge (Local Waterdeep): 1d20+6
Knowledge (Religion): 1d20+6

Strigenest
Knowledge (Local Waterdeep): 1d20+6
Knowledge (Religion): 1d20+6

Checking with Zalamandis patrons to see if any info available on Whispering + Mines

Gather Info: 1d20+7

Also purchasing a bottle of wine and some bread and cheese for the walk up to the cairn.

NovaZulu
2013-04-07, 01:06 AM
This time with working rolls maybe :(

Whis + Iron Mine
Knowledge (Local Waterdeep): [roll0]
Knowledge (Religion): [roll1]

Strigenest
Knowledge (Local Waterdeep): [roll2]
Knowledge (Religion): [roll3]

Checking with Zalamandis patrons to see if any info available on Whispering + Mines

Gather Info: [roll4]

laughing_boy
2013-04-07, 02:06 AM
'Well, if we're going to be dead tomorrow, I'm going to get drunk tonight.'

Vandill sits at a table where he can keep his back to a wall, tries to ignore the local miners, and drinks his way through a steady progression of cheap foul pints. By the end of the evening he can barely walk straight, and staggers upstairs to sleep it off in a decidedly flea-ridden room.

OOC

Don't know how you're going to play drunkenness, but here's a con roll in case you want one -
Stay relatively sober : (con) [roll0]

Take advantage of apparent drunkenness to eavesdrop on locals for anything interesting: (gather info) [roll1]

And in case you want to throw a brawl my way, here's a roll to try and avoid it : (diplomacy) [roll2]

As usual with monks, I have plenty of money left over, so just let me know how much I can reasonably burn through in a nights drinking cheap nasty booze in daggerford.
I'll stock up with three skins of wine and some generic trail rations, plus a couple of fresh torches since we're going underground.

ETA: haha, "apparent" drunkenness may have been a little optimistic with those rolls.

Strudel
2013-04-07, 02:24 AM
Flimflam is perched on a bar stool overlooking the jermlaine and rat bouts, making casual wagers with the miners, who have been trying to get him to test "that great ruddy bastard rat o' his" in the maze for some weeks now.

In between bouts, Flimflam tries to steer the conversation with the miners towards the old iron mine and cairn.

Gather Information - Iron Mine [roll0]
Gather Information - Cairn [roll1]

I'll grab a couple of days worth of rations too, but otherwise I'm good I think

Ghostfoot
2013-04-07, 04:57 PM
Rev, you know kinda where the Whispering Cairn & the old iron mine are, having stumbled enjoyably (& recklessly) around the surrounding countryside one evening looking for alchemical herbs with your sometime drinking companion Benazel the Alchemist. You recall a teenager did go missing up that way while "daring the cairn" several years ago.

While you weren't really paying attention at the time, the half-elf is here in the establishment tonight & drunkenly sketches out a map on the back of a wine-stained napkin.

You recall that Benazel pointed out the distant ridge that they were on, about 8 hours hike out of town (you didn't make it quite that far before you ran out of alcohol and had to head back). The cairn and the mine were about 10 minutes apart from each other. There was an abandoned mine office visible that Benazel said he sometimes takes a rest in when out that way.

Rev, you also believe that the Stirgenest Cairn is, as mentioned, a red herring. Kids head out there periodically, and you're sure it's not worth the effort.

Vandill, you get stuck into the booze in a big way. Intoxication rules are in the Arms & Equipment Guide, but I don't think we need to worry about it here You almost get into a fight with one of the over-confident braggart adventurers from Waterdeep. A big blond man with a flashy trophy belt keeps claiming loudly that he's "Auric, Champion of the Fields of Triumph, here to plunder Stirgenest Cairn and show you all how a real hero operates" to anyone nearby. At one point you "accidentally" spill your drink on him and have to be physically separated by Kurlag, the half-ogre bouncer.

You (Vandill) do have a chat to a heavily intoxicated miner who seems to want to share his interesting news "Somebody’s moved into the Old Observatory. I saw a crew of Balabar Smenk’s boys hauling all kinds of unusual contraptions and gear from a carriage parked outside the building. Heavy cloth sheets covered just about everything, but I could have sworn that some of the things they unloaded were huge glass tanks.". He throws up & is kicked out.

Flimflam, you get preoccupied with your gambling and come out even after losing a few hours...

Thoradin, you talk to the miners about the various grades of iron ore, like only a dwarf can (yawn!)...

2nd of Kythorn, 1374 DR

Next morning you all groggily wake up, get your kit together, provision yourselves and tramp off toward the Whispering Cairn. Toward midday a spring shower sets in, considerably dampening your moods. By the time you reach the site at dusk the rain has cleared and the hills are buzzing with insects. You spot the dilapidated mine office ahead of you on the the gentle slope of the hill. The boarded up mine is within sight, and the Whispering Cairn must be a small walk away.

You cautiously poke around the office, which appears to be little more than a ramshackle hut. It would make a reasonable place to set up camp for the night. The abandoned mine likewise appears unexceptional, and in fact looks to have collapsed not too far in past the boarded-up entrance.

A quick sortie locates the entrance to the Whispering Cairn nearby. It is a yawning (20ft x 20ft) monolith-lined opening partially obscured by rocks and undergrowth. The area around the entrance-way will provide quite rough footing (counts as difficult terrain).

Okay, sorry for the essay and for the railroading. All in the interests of moving us all along to the start of the adventure. Last chance to buy anything (remember food - it's a days hike each way) or do any other prep.

What would you like to do next?

NovaZulu
2013-04-07, 10:40 PM
Revell looks wistfully at the open mouth of the Cairn. 'Comrades, if you knew me only a little better you would know that I favor exploration of creepy cairns by moonlight ... that being when interesting incidents most regularly occur.'

He pauses for a few seconds considering and then with a broad smile says 'And in fact upon reflection I find that I may still be quite easily persuaded of the wisdom of that course if such is the common will.

'However I would ask each of you to first consider whether we risk missing possibly the most noteworthy phenomenon associated with this location, it's titular feature ... the whispering of the cairn. I for one would be deeply embarrassed to explore this local legend, discover its secrets and defeat its denizens, then return to town only to be asked ... "so what was all that whispering then?" and find I had no answer to hand.

'So I wonder if it would not be preferable to make camp here tonight and to listen for what the Cairn whispers the better to furnish our tale with intrigue later?'

He turns ... heading toward the entrance of the Cairn to do an external examination and calling back over his shoulder 'I leave it to your better judgment'

Apols for long trying to get all prep in one post so we can move into the dungeon :D

External Examination:

Assuming nothing interesting/show stopping occurs at each stage then as follows

1. Whittaker gets down and follows on foot in Rev's square.

2. Cast on self (shared with Whittaker) Mage Armour +4 Armour bonus to ac 1 hour ... AC Rev 14/10/14, AC Whit: 19/12/17

3. Cast on a picked up stone Light, 10 mins 20' rad torchlight +20' dim illumination. Let me know if Rev needs to recast to cover actions below.

4. Walk up to 20 foot distance from entrance

5. Spot and Listen for anything interesting (couple of rolls below) ... markings covered by undergrowth, obvious tracks etc. Whittaker sniffs the air :D
Spot1: [roll0]
Spot2: [roll1]
Listen1: [roll2]
Listen2: [roll3]

6. Cast Detect Magic, 1 min ... focus on entrance and surrondings looking for magic traps, arcane marks, curses or residue of recent magic. If rev sees something magical spend the rounds focusing on it to determine distinct sources and types.
Spellcraft1: [roll4]
Spellcraft2: [roll5]

7. Move up to the entrance itself and search the area for traps
Search1: [roll6]
Search2: [roll7]
If Rev finds a trap he's not going to try to disarm it ... just note its location and how it works.

8. Peer into entrance to see 40 ft in ... but don't go in :D

9. Withdraw from entrance, Whit remounts Rev

Camping:

If the party decides to camp rather than going straight in then figure Rev and Flimflam should take first and last watches for rest required/memorization. Rev don't mind which he gets ... however he is very keen to hear the 'Whispering' and would like to be woken by whoever is on watch for that.

Assuming we camp in the Office and no-one has yet done so Rev will do a quick search of the Overseers Office looking for anything interesting but particularly alcohol and/or food
Search1: [roll8]
Search2: [roll9]

In the morning style a particularly fabulous hairdo and Rev is ready to follow the party into the Cairn :D

Edits for grammar

laughing_boy
2013-04-08, 02:41 AM
Vandill raises an eyebrow at Revell's lengthy monologue, grunts noncommittally, then rubs his temples and winces slightly.

Having a quick glance around and pulling the hood of his robe further down over his eyes to block the glare of the setting sun over the forest in the distance, he strolls into the office to have a bit of a poke around.

After a few minutes, he calls out "Well this isn't whispering, or interesting, so we might as well go into the cairn if you fancy casters haven't used up all your spells preventing sunburn on the way here."

Vandill joins Revell outside the cairn, leaning against the rockface just to the side of the entrance and sinking into the shadows to ease his hangover.

OOC
Going to use sea green for vandills speech, being a reaver born and all.

Quick look around outside for anything dodgy:
Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Longer look inside the office:
Spot [roll2]
Listen [roll3]
Search [roll4]

And skulk outside the entrance to the cairn just in case:
Hide [roll5]

laughing_boy
2013-04-08, 03:06 AM
OOC
*sigh*
trying again after the post got held due to posting in another forum, and naturally broke the rolls.

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Spot [roll2]
Listen [roll3]
Search [roll4]

Ghostfoot
2013-04-08, 04:06 AM
With apologies again for moving it along

Vandill, you find nothing of interest in the office & join Revell outside the cairn, sheltering behind a large rock.

Revell, you successfully cast both Mage Armour on yourself (& Whittaker) and Light on a small stone. Detect Magic reveals nothing of interest within range.

Near the entrance your search reveals the footprint of some sort of wild animal, you would guess a wolf or wild dog. Whittaker does not seem unduly concerned at the moment.

Peering into the cairn you see a hallway extending into the darkness. A faint breeze outside brings sibilant whispers from within the cairn that sound almost like a sighing breath. It must be a trick of the wind, but the effect is almost lifelike.

You all regroup a short distance away from the entrance.

Strudel
2013-04-08, 04:12 AM
Flimflam scuttles about the abandoned office giving the area a thorough look through before he's willing to move on.

Flimflam casts Detect Magic from the doorway of the office so the cone sweeps the entire room.
Search

Brushing dust off his clothing, he emerges from the office and trots over towards the cairn, prattling mostly to himself about possible explanations for the whispering. He carefully examines the monoliths for any inscriptions and takes advantage of Revell's Light spell take a look down the entrance of the cave.

Spot - cairn mouth [roll1]
Search - Monoliths [roll2] and Decipher Script of [roll3] if he finds anything there
Search - area around cairn mouth [roll4]

Assuming the party chooses to camp outside, Flimflam will circle the surrounding area shortly after dusk and due to his total lack of any outdoors skills, will rely purely on luck ([roll5] vs Luck of 44) to see if he can find any local burrowing fauna. If he can find a bunny or a badger or something, he will use his Speak with Burrowing Animals 1/day to ask if they've seen any big folk in the area recently.

Satisfied with his investigations, Flimflam returns to the area outside the cairn and volunteers for first watch.

When Revell points out the paw print outside the cave, Flimflam waves Chesdale at the print with an air of expectation. Chesdale huffs indignantly and drops down onto the ground to give it a whiff.
Chesdale's scent roll [roll]1d20+1

Strudel
2013-04-08, 04:25 AM
Stupid roll system. Let's try that again - scent roll of [roll0] to recognise the smell

NovaZulu
2013-04-08, 05:38 AM
While waiting for Thoradin, Revell adopts a thoughtful pose. After a few minutes he asks no-one in particular,

'You know this thing with the Old Observatory and Smenk's crew and the tanks is a strange bit of business don't you think?'

He carries on quietly over the next 10 minutes almost to himself, or possibly Whittaker ... or maybe the collar of his coat?

'What's the advantage of an Old Observatory? Access to the sky quite obviously, lenses for the concentration of light perhaps, an elevated vantage point above the town?'
'And who would fill one with contraptions? Well a gnome clearly ... or at the least a gnome-like individual, a wizard, a gnome wizard, (clearly not Flimflam but a relative?) experimenting certainly, inventing ... with tanks'
'Tanks for what ... fish farm? Foolish, insufficient volume. Filled with electric eels as power source? Not improbable. Lethal gas containment and experimentation? That close to a population center? The mind boggles!'
'Glass tanks ... expensive, well funded ... carriage note, not a cart or wagon, well funded but working in Daggerford, therefore working in secret.'
'And Smenk ... Smenk indeed! Corrupt and perfidious in the extreme, not for the good of all no doubt, no doubt about that at all.'

After pausing to receive advice from his mysterious interlocutor Revell announces abruptly to the rest of the group,

'I quite agree, worth investigating Smenk's mysterious gnome wizard in the Old Observatory when we get back to Daggerford my friends. If he has a mishap with either those eels or that lethal gas it could pose a serious threat to the townsfolk.'

He ends with a dazzling smile, leaving one in no doubt that he is in complete earnest and neither ignorant of nor displeased with the fact he may sound like a nut.

OOC

Knowledge (Local Waterdeep): [roll0] to see if Rev knows anything about the history or condition of the Old Observatory or what it might be used for now. Feel free to answer when/where in the narrative this might be convenient Ghostfoot ... Rev ruminates.

In the meantime Revell is keen to follow Vandill's stalwart lead into Whispering Cairn without delay since he has now heard the whispers. The less time the party gives that confounded gnome to experiment the better in his opinion.

OOC

I would suggest we proceed in unless Mo or Strudel want to throw out a veto :D

Rev will follow in 3rd place if possible with at least one empty 5 ft square to second place. :D Whit will dismount and walk in Rev's square ... the better to dodge fireballs and such.

last...|Rev/Whit|-|2nd|...first

In case someone does veto and we camp Rev will take last watch since Flimflam has first and do the above in the morning/whenever we enter.

Strudel
2013-04-08, 06:07 AM
OOC
If my higher search roles don't turn up anything then I'm all for wandering inside for a good poke around. Chesdale rides shotgun on my shoulder

Mo_the_Hawked
2013-04-08, 09:42 AM
Thoradin

Hustling as fast as stubby dwarven legs can carry him Thoradin catches up with the group.

Thoradin straps in his shield and takes a firm grip of his warhammer. He then turns to the group and asks, "Well shall we claim our great treasures and fame?'

With that he hunkers behind his shield and pushes his way inside the cairn.

Ghostfoot
2013-04-09, 02:14 AM
Flimflam, your Detect Magic turns up nothing in the old office and your examination of the monolithic entranceway uncovers nothing further. You see no bunnies sitting around waiting to be interrogated.

Chesdale sniffs the pawprint and reacts with faint agitation as you might expect from sniffing the print of a larger predator. You also feel the associated feelings of nervousness that the little critter is experiencing.

With that you all make your way inside...

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q710/Ghostfoot/Upload1_zps7f93965f.png

Inside, the walls bear horizontal bands of deceptively simple geometric patterns at (human) waist level. In places, the bands reveal startling detail, but in others the walls look as if they have been hacked apart with weapons or eroded by the rigours of time. Flakes of ancient paint, brilliant purple and a dull mustard hue, still cling to the walls in places, hinting at what once must have been a riot of colour. A thin coat of dust covers the floor.

Outside, the wind picks up, and a chorus of almost human sounds rises from the darkened hall.

Thoradin, You note that the patterned bands on the walls conceal thin hollow tubes hidden in the patternwork. The whispering noises seem to be coming from the movement of air through these tubes.

Just inside the darkened entrance way you see the hallway branch to the east and west.

Strudel
2013-04-09, 02:34 AM
"Adventurers always go left!"

NovaZulu
2013-04-09, 04:27 AM
Revell Jypch

Revell casts a careful eye over the purple/mustard palette and the geometric mosaic. All right if you go in for that sort of thing. To be honest geometric mosaic probably appeals to a more dwarfy artistic sensibility.

'It is such a shame that cultures don't better provision for the preservation of their artworks after their demise.' Revell whispers.

'Clearly not one of those lot that went in for the rending of the weeds and the chol though. With the colors and the whole tomb singing you might almost imagine them dancing in here.'

OCC

Bunch of rolls not sure if you will need none/some/all so are there just in case. Ignore if irrelevant plox

To see if Rev can identify the culture, religion or god the Cairn belongs to and any salient facts about them and their Cairns
Knowledge (Religion): XXXX
Knowledge (History): XXXX
Knowledge (Local Waterdeep): XXXX

EDIT: Also is the ceiling 20' or has got lower since entrance?

NovaZulu
2013-04-09, 04:31 AM
OOC

SOAB

Bunch of rolls not sure if you will need none/some/all so are there just in case. Ignore if irrelevant plox

To see if Rev can identify the culture, religion or god the Cairn belongs to and any salient facts about them and their Cairns
Knowledge (Religion): [roll0]
Knowledge (History): [roll1]
Knowledge (Local Waterdeep): [roll2]

Ghostfoot
2013-04-09, 04:53 AM
I'll take that as an instruction to act..and so onward!...and Nova I just saw your new post - no, no epiphanies come to light for any of you.

Here the walls bear the most significant damage. Dozens of clumsy etchings mar the beautiful ancient masonry like graffiti on a city wall. A bundle of rags or clothing lies at the end of the western alcove.

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q710/Ghostfoot/Upload2_zps863664a7.png

NovaZulu
2013-04-09, 05:11 AM
Revel Jypch

'It appears it was here that the Daggerford daredevils made their mischief. I fear that pile may be all that remains of one of them.'

Thinking there may be some item or trinket that could bring closure to a grieving family back in Daggerford Revell steels himself and creeps over to the pile of rags.

OOC

Revell will wander over and poke the pile of rags with his toe before committing to a full search [roll0] assuming someone else hasn't already done so.

Also soz repeated from above ceiling hight is 20' foot yes?

Strudel
2013-04-09, 05:32 AM
Search roll of [roll0] to make sure Revell's not about to get his face ripped off by a trap

Ghostfoot
2013-04-09, 09:47 PM
Flimflam hurriedly inspects the area for traps before Rev disturbs anything too much. Satisfied that there is nothing dangerous here, the two of you turn your attention to the bundle. It turns out to be an old bedroll, cracked and brittle from many years of neglect. It's wrapped around 6 old but serviceable flasks of lamp oil.

Not sure how you want to deal with allocating out loot?

Vandill, while the two arcanists are searching the bundle you notice a faint flickering green light far in the distance to the north. You nudge Thoradin and he sees it flicker as well.

As you are trying to make out the source of the flickering you hear the sound of padded feet running toward you out of the darkness, accompanied by a vicious-sounding growling and snarling...

Initiative...

Thoradin [roll0]
Vandil [roll1]l
Revell [roll2]+[roll3] incl Action Point
Whittaker [roll4] (fleeing)
Flimflam [roll5]
Chesdale [roll6] (staying in pouch)

Curious to see how this first combat goes!

Ghostfoot
2013-04-09, 10:06 PM
Initiative:

22 Whittaker(fleeing/ hiding)
20 Wolf1
20 Revell
18 Flimflam
13 Chesdale(staying in pouch)
13 Vandill
12 Wolf2
11 Wolf3
5 Thoradin

Whittaker hears the sound of predators and leaps down and hides under the bedroll (square BM9).

A vicious wolf comes loping out of the tunnel ahead of you, snapping and snarling. You can hear others behind it.

Map

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q710/Ghostfoot/Upload3_zpsa364308a.png

=> Revell, you're up (others can talk as a free action out of turn)

NovaZulu
2013-04-10, 03:11 AM
Revell Jypch

As Whittaker scurries to hide Revell hears the wolves approaching and strides over to take a look.

'Slavering hounds is it ... very well then'

Sizing up the situation he waits for just the right moment to begin what he expects to be the decisive incantation.

OOC

Think Rev can do the following ... aiming to sync initiative with the wolves so they group up before he sleeps them.

Move Action: to BN14 (BM11,BM12,BM13,BN14 =20ft)
Free Action: Drop the light stone and speak
Delay/Hold action to initiative count 11 (=to wolf3)
Standard Action: Start Full round action, cast Sleep centered so as to get as many wolves as possible

So in round 2 Rev will be at initiative 11 and be able to take a standard action to complete the Sleep spell so it takes immediate effect (assuming he has not been eaten by then).

If nec Rev will delay all actions to count 11 (if he can't split the actions as above).

Hide check [roll0] for Whit if needed

EDIT: Oh dear ... looks like whit forgot how to hide

=>Flimflam

Strudel
2013-04-10, 04:23 AM
Flimflam spins around from the bedroll and dashes forward (BN13), raising his crossbow. (I should have clear line of sight from there?)

There's a sharp twang as he fires his first ever shot at a living target.

Attack roll: [roll0] and if it hits, [roll1] damage

Ghostfoot
2013-04-10, 07:14 AM
Think Rev can do the following ...If nec Rev will delay all actions to count 11 (if he can't split the actions as above).

Sorry, it's all or nothing with delay. Rev's initiative resets to 11.

Flimflam ... dashes forward (BN13), raising his crossbow...fires his first ever shot.

I'll let you have it this time (especially since it's an amazing 1 damage!), but there are a few problems with this sequence. You get 1 standard action and 1 move action per round. You are trying to move (move action), draw a weapon (move action for you with BAB +0), load a crossbow (move action) and attack (standard).

The line of sight is fine. You pick a corner of your square & a corner of the defenders square. If there is a clear line you can attack. The defender gets to pick a different corner. If this second line is obstructed then they get cover. This wolf gets no cover.

Flimflam dashes forward and gets off a glancing blow at the fast approaching beast...

Ches stays put.

=> Vandill

laughing_boy
2013-04-11, 02:11 AM
Vandill dodges nimbly past the idle dwarf to close with the approaching wolf, putting his best foot forward...

and into the wolfs face.

Charge through Thoradin's square to BF15
Unarmed(+4),Charge(+2) [roll0]
Damage if it hits [roll1]

Ghostfoot
2013-04-11, 05:55 AM
Vandill lands a solid kick on the rabid animal as it leaps forward.

Charge through Thoradin's square

Note that you need an unobstructed path for a charge - not that it mattered here. You hit anyway and had plenty of movement to make a single move up.

Two more of the beasts come bounding out of the darkness and surround Van.

{table=head]Initiative Chart
{table=head]Character | Initiative
Whittaker(fleeing/ hiding) | 22
Wolf1 | 20
Flimflam | 18
Chesdale(staying in pouch) | 13
Vandill | 13
Wolf2 | 12
Wolf3 | 11
Revell | 11
Thoradin | 5
[/table]
[/table]

Ghostfoot
2013-04-11, 06:28 AM
Nova I will take the liberty of posting your declared/ delayed action for you, hope that's okay.

Rev moves up & casts Sleep at the closest wolves.

Wolf 2 Save vs DC14 [roll0]
Wolf 3 Save vs DC14 [roll1]

The wolf in square BF14 falls into a deep slumber

Map
http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q710/Ghostfoot/Upload4_zps34af7d2a.png

=> Thoradin

NovaZulu
2013-04-11, 06:31 AM
OOC

Soz crossed with Ghost above ... ignore plox

Keeping it simple and just going with action as posted above. Keeping the Whit hide check (1) obv.

Move Action: to BN14 (BM11,BM12,BM13,BN14 =20ft)
Free Action: Drop the light stone and speak
Standard Action: Start Full round action, cast Sleep centered so as to get as many wolves as possible (Wolf in BF16 looks like the best target)

Mo_the_Hawked
2013-04-11, 08:37 AM
Thoradin

"Whats a pack of wolves doing down here?"

He hustles foward towards Van.

Move: Four squares, 20 feet from BL15 to BH15.
Standard: Cast Bless, centered on Thoradin

Ghostfoot
2013-04-11, 04:07 PM
The first, wounded, wolf (BE16) takes a 5ft step to BE15 and starts savaging Vandill:

Wolf 1 To Hit: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Trip: [roll2] vs Vandill Str check [roll3]

So 5 damage but no trip.

=> Flimflam & Vandill

Map:
http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q710/Ghostfoot/Upload5_zpseb452976.png

Strudel
2013-04-12, 12:28 AM
Flimflam moves 20ft to BK14 and casts Summon Monster I!

A Celestial Giant Fire Beetle pops into existence on BG16, 5ft steps to BF17 and lays into the into the uninjured wolf with its nasty little mandibles.

Firebeetle does a Bite Attack, flanking for [roll0] which does [roll1] if it hits.

Edit hey that's a natural 20! Go beetle go! How do crits work? Roll to confirm and reroll the damage?

Strudel
2013-04-12, 12:33 AM
if this is how forums crits work:

SuperBeetle rolled a natural 20, rolls again to confirm [roll0] and does [roll1] damage if he hits - bugger, no luck

Ghostfoot
2013-04-12, 02:20 AM
if this is how forums crits work:

SuperBeetle rolled a natural 20, rolls again to confirm [roll0] and does [roll1] damage if he hits - bugger, no luck

Basically a crit works like you have stated - you roll another attack, and if you hit you get to roll damage again and add it to the ordinary damage (excluding any extra damage dice)

The only other minor thing for your action is that Summon Monster has a 1 round casting time, so the creature should appear and attack just before your next turn. We won't worry about it this time though - still ironing out all these nuances.

The beetle starts chewing away...

Map
http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q710/Ghostfoot/Upload6_zps1f898c0f.png

=> Vandill

laughing_boy
2013-04-12, 04:53 AM
Van starts to twist in position and try to keep from being bitten by too many wolves at once, lashing out quickly at the wolf he kicked before throwing a punch at the wolf to his right.

Hokay I'm assuming osh's friendlies-don't-block-charges was a house rule then. Nevermind.

Flurry of blows at wolf in BE15 first then BF16 if it dies from the first hit (ha, assuming he hits twice)
Attack 1: Unarmed(+4), Flurry(-2/-2), Bless(+1) [roll0] for [roll1]

Attack 2: Unarmed(+4), Flurry(-2/-2), Bless(+1) [roll2] for [roll3]

Note flanking bonus ups attack if #2 scores on BF16 after #1 kills BE16 wolf. Oi vey.

Ghostfoot
2013-04-12, 05:18 AM
Vandill's attacks both strike home. The first wolf crumpled to the ground and lies motionless. The remaining animal attempts to savage you in return.

Wolf: Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
trip [roll2] vs Van [roll3]

=> Rev

NovaZulu
2013-04-12, 06:50 AM
Revell Jypch

Revell continues the incantation to ensure the wolf is not awoken by the frenzy of battle raging above its head.

Taking a quick step to his right he unslings his crossbow and begins reaching for a bolt.

OOC

Standard Action: Complete full round action (sleep spell) from round 1 (the effect hit a little earlier than expected on this spell :P)
5ft step: to BM15
Move action: Unslings Crossbow ready to load and shoot in round 3

Grats Laughing_Boy on the first fully legal combat post of the thread.

=> Thoradin

Mo_the_Hawked
2013-04-12, 08:45 AM
Thoradin

Thoradin steps forward, draws his warhammer, and swings at one the wolves savaging Van.

Move: Five foot step to BG15.
Attack: Warhammer +5 (+1 Bless) [roll0] for [roll1]

Confirm Crit, if needed, [roll2]

OOC: I was under the impression that shield hands could cast spells. Must be wrong, couldn't find anything to support it. I've never played a cleric before so there might be some more growing pain.

Ghostfoot
2013-04-12, 03:43 PM
Thwack! Thoradin brings down the last remaining wolf.

Update & xp to follow when I get a sec (feel free to post any comments or actions in the meantime)

laughing_boy
2013-04-12, 09:34 PM
'Thanks for bringing your hammer along Thoradin, now how about a little blessing to fix up these tooth holes?' says the monk, nursing one arm slightly. 'Those furry bastards play rough.'

OOC: I'm down 10 hp. With only 7 left, A lucky wolf could take me out of the action.

Any house rules on heal checks Ghostfoot? Don't know if it's standard to use them to provide first aid on non-dying characters.

Ghostfoot
2013-04-13, 02:45 AM
'Pop'! Flimflam's beetle disappears back into the ether.

At the next branch of the corridor (where Vandill & Thoradin are) you can see to the east and west.

To the east the corridor is blocked after about fifteen feet by huge blocks of collapsed rubble.

To the west the corridor extends about forty feet, ending at a small marble platform raised a handspan above the floor. A strange, shattered apparatus rests on the platform. Having a curved, oval shape it gives the appearance of having once been a full-length dressing mirror. Only about a third of the frame is left intact.

Ahead (to the north), you can still make out the flickering green light in the distance.

A vicious wolf sleeps soundly at your feet....

Updated map:
http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q710/Ghostfoot/Upload7_zps3895e4ec.png

NovaZulu
2013-04-13, 03:08 AM
Revell Jypch

Revell stoops and collects his lightstone looking at it thoughtfully. 'This won't do at all.' he mutters. He quickly sets about improvising a few torches from tree limbs and strips of the old bedroll collecting Whittaker on the way.

'And someone kindly take care of that wolf for me' he calls.

OOC
Looked in PHB, PHB II, DMG, Arms and Equipment Guide, CAdv and Dungeonscape as well as online ... could not find any rules for improvising torches. I'm certain it is a case of user error.

So just rolling a Int check in lieu of anything more useful: [roll0]

Figure we might get 50% efficiency out of the oil so 1 flask = 3 hours/3 torches? Let me know ghost and i will update my char sheet etc.

Once done Revell is ready to move on and invesitage the broken mirror.

Strudel
2013-04-13, 04:45 AM
Flimflam reloads his crossbow and walks up to stand beside the sleeping wolf. He shoots a bolt directly into it's skull for (hopefully) a quick, clean death.

Coup de grace on a helpless enemy - automatic crit for [roll0] + [roll1] sneak attack. If that doesn't kill the wolf outright, it needs to roll a fort save of DC 10 + my damage or die.

Ghostfoot
2013-04-13, 04:54 AM
It's over for Rover. You put it down.

Ghostfoot
2013-04-13, 05:11 AM
Rev, you check out the broken mirror. A glyph the size of a dinnerplate has been carved into the baseplate of the platform. There are a few small shards of broken black glass lying in the dust. Inside the remaining rim you can make out numerous runes and symbols carved into a slot (where the glass would have been held).

Flimflam, you recognise these as arcane symbols signifying some aspect of transportation. The glyph in the base of the pedestal seems to represent the name of someone/something. The symbolism is reminiscent of elemental air.

I rolled Knowledge (arcana) check for both of you.

Strudel
2013-04-13, 05:34 AM
Flimflam patters around the broken mirror, inspecting it from all angles. "Transportation...air...some kind of communication device or means of teleportation perhaps. Clearly not fully functional anymore but..maybe there might be some faint trace of something" He mutters out a Detect Magic spell and takes a closer look, careful not to touch anything.

NovaZulu
2013-04-13, 07:15 AM
Revell begins sketching the glyph into his notebook but becomes quickly distracted by the shards of glass lying in the dust. Picking up a small piece he rolls it slowly back and forth between his fingers as he wanders around the pedestal.

'You know there doesn't look to be enough glass here if you ask me; almost as if it broke into the reflection. Could this be where ...?'' he trails off.

OOC
Rev will give the pedestal and remaining frame a quick mundane search [roll0] while Flimflam sorts out the magic side of things.

Unless Flimflam's det. mag. or rev's search discovers something Rev is ready to move on toward the mysterious green light (or back to camp if Van needs) ... after checking his hair and wardrobe in any remaining mirror naturally.

Light spell has probs expired by now so switching to torch 1. Small scrap of glass goes absently into a coat pocket.

'Vandill you look a little pale to be frank, are you feeling quite well?'

=>Vandill

Mo_the_Hawked
2013-04-13, 12:31 PM
Thoradin

"I think you could use some healing lad."

Thoradin hooks his hammer on his belt and places his hand on Van's chest and begins chanting.

[roll0] Spontanous casting, replacing Obscuring Mist. If this doesn't cure him fully Thoradin will use Cure Minor Wounds.

Ghostfoot
2013-04-13, 08:39 PM
Rev & Flimflam poke around the broken apparatus but find nothing further of note (either magical or mundane).

Thoradin's prayer to his dwarven god is answered with a surge of mystical energy that staunches the blood seeping from Vandill's wounds. Soon there is nothing but fresh pink skin marking where the wolf bit him.

Looking around, Thoradin's dwarfish intuition leads you to believe that the collapsed eastern passage is impassable. It looks well and truly caved-in. That being the case, you all head onward towards the flickering green light...

The central hallway opens into a large chamber with wings leading to the east and west. Across the chamber to the north yawns a twenty-foot-wide open arch draped from top to bottom with translucent spider webs. The eerie green light flickers from somewhere beyond the webs, casting strange shadows about this room. The webs obscure all further vision.

The corridors to the east and west extend into darkness. Those with superior vision (Thoradin and Flimflam) can see to the far end of both corridors.

To the west, three short steps lead to a wide marble dais at the end of the corridor.

Huge slabs of cracked masonry and scattered debris choke the eastern wing. Thoradin, you can see a low 10ft wide gap under a slab leading through the rubble.

The sibilant, almost human whispers present in the passage become a chorus in this massive chamber, eerily echoing off the walls.

Whittaker and Chesdale both still seem slightly agitated. You can all small the faint rank odour of animal spoor and wet fur.

Map
http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q710/Ghostfoot/Upload8_zps1a00c253.png
(In case you were wondering, you are seeing the effect of bright torchlight and shadowy torchlight radiating from Revell. The darker area to the north actually represents where Thoradin & Flimflam can see to with darkvision/ lowlight vision.)

Ghostfoot
2013-04-13, 09:16 PM
Rev, as you ponder the meaning of the strange glyphs you wonder about their similarity to the ancient glyph-language of the djinni. Some unorthodox scholars consider this long-dead language the original written form of Auran (the common language of otherworldy elemental air creatures).

You don't know much about djinni, except that they founded the forerunner of what is now the southern land of Calimshan many thousands of years ago.

Sorry, I forgot your Knowledge (History) check earlier.

Strudel
2013-04-13, 10:58 PM
Flimflam approaches the dais, checking the area for anything untoward.

Search of fail dice. Will roll in next post

Strudel
2013-04-13, 11:00 PM
Trying again, this time without stuffing up the preview thing: Search roll of [roll0]

He asks Chesdale to stay back near the party in case he's about to explode

Ghostfoot
2013-04-14, 01:52 AM
Approaching the end of the corridor a wide dais spans the back half of the wing, calling attention to a faded fresco painted on the walls. The fresco is painted such that from a vantage point at the centre of the dais it makes it look like you stand within a massive room with seven short hallways radiating outward. At the end of each hallway hangs is painted a different coloured lamp hanging on a long chain.

NovaZulu
2013-04-14, 01:54 AM
While Flimflam searches Revell inspects the webs from a safe distance and chats idly with Thoradin, dwarfs being prized conversationalists on matters fabrication.

'Did you ever notice Thoradin, when you where at anvil, how superheated sand forms into the most unusual colors of glass? Magester Jonahan presented his quite wonderful exhibition Pause Evocation at the Watchful Order last year. The interaction of electricity and sand can produce a most delightful and delicate fulgurite filigree.'

Revell shoots up straighter with a pained and slightly nauseated look on his face as if kicked in the privates.

My sincere apologies for the revolting progression " delightful delicate fulgurite filigree". Alterative dactylic tetrameter will from henceforth be known to me as the stumbling sorceror or simply a Jypch. Perhaps I missed my true calling writing stilled verse for the vapid young nobles of Waterdeep. He takes a moment to compose himself. 'I think you may have enjoyed the exhibition Thoradin.'

Recognizing the intricacies of glass are likely to be just as interesting to Flimflam he goes on.

'What do you think there Flimflam? Black mirror's no good for the bathroom wouldn't you say? But lightning and sand, Djinn and deserts, like in Calamshan yes?'

OOC
Nps on the check ... entirely consistent with the way Rev works to get the insight some minutes after everybody has moved on.

Spot for anything in the webs, or dangling from the celing above us about to envenom the party [roll0]

Ghostfoot
2013-04-14, 02:11 AM
While Flimflam searches Revell inspects the webs from a safe distance

You can see dozens of tiny spiders living in the webs. Nothing overtly hostile, but still a bit creepy (perhaps). The webs obscure your vision, but you can make out the first few steps of a staircase leading down. The green light seems to be flickering down there, not too far away.

NovaZulu
2013-04-14, 02:39 AM
Suppressing a slight shiver Revell turns toward the dais to the west. 'I recommend we check out that passage to the east before we descend friends. We may yet find some sign of the lost youth in the wolves den', he says.

He is clearly rather more interested in the fresco and quietly hoping someone else will lead the way into the den ... and possibly search it for signs of the lost youth.

Stack of knowledge checks below re the fresco ... key factors seeming to be the 7 colored lamps and the symmetry of the arrangement suggesting equal importance and any relation to known factors ... Air/Calimshan

k(Arc): [roll0]
k(His): [roll1]
k(Rel): [roll2]
k(Local Waterdeep): [roll3]

Otherwise happy to move on to the east.

Ghostfoot
2013-04-14, 03:17 AM
None of you are able to discern any connection between the rainbow of lamps and djinni, air elementals or Calimshan in general.

Strudel
2013-04-14, 03:42 AM
Flimflam collects Chesdale back up from the ground and stows him safely in his ratsack before sneaking over to explore the rubble in the eastern hall.

Cast Mage Armor (+4 armor)
Hide [roll0]
Move Silently [roll1]

Ghostfoot
2013-04-14, 04:54 AM
You can see an area through the gap in the rubble, a dead-end like the hallway to the west. It looks (and smells) like the wolves have their den through there. Litter and bone fragments are strewn about. Anyone larger than Flimflam would need to crawl to get through the gap.

NovaZulu
2013-04-14, 06:14 AM
Revell moves forward to the entrance to back Flimflam up but seems a little reluctant to get down on his knees and crawl if he can avoid it.

'How are you doing in there Toejam old boy? Will you ... ahh ... be needing any help or ... ahh ... do you think you can mange? Any sign of the boy?'

Casting around for some alternative Revell's eyes settle in Whittaker ... who seems to be trying to avoid his gaze. 'Come now Whit you'll be just fine, any remaining wolves will be far more interested in the gnome.' he whispers.

OOC
Sorry so made a few assumptions below so we can move on if there is nothing interesting going on in there. Series of actions follow assuming nothing derails the chain.

1. Assume from the description that we can see the extent of the space from the entrance (= its just a dead end which comprises the den)
2. Give Flimflam 2 rounds while Rev tries to avoid having to crawl in then spends a little time persuading Whit to go instead.
3. Rev cast Detect magic on self, shared with Whit
4. Whit sneaks into the den and searches for any trace of the missing Daggerford boy + anything else interesting (incl magic obv) .. .don't know what you need so slew inc
MS [roll0]
Hide [roll1]
Search [roll2]
Spot [roll3]
Scent [roll4]
5. Meanwhile Rev will peer down the hole after whit seeing if he can see anything.
Spot [roll5]
6. Whit will either drag back anything interesting or jump up and down on it till Flimflam comes to get it if it is to big for him.
7. Whit will return and do a bit of sulking in Rev's Coat
8. Rev will do a little wander round the room and see if anything else jumps out magical.
9. If anything is magic (either in den or in room) do the focusing thing to id specific item and type and try to work out what any items do.
Spell Craft [roll6]

And asusming we resolve all that Rev is ready to follow the party through the webs and down the stairs :D

Strudel
2013-04-14, 02:40 PM
Search of [roll0] before leaving the wolf den

Ghostfoot
2013-04-14, 04:29 PM
The den is filled with litter and bones, mostly animal but a few distinctly humanoid-looking. Flimflam, you search around and find an old leather backpack buried under some of the bones. Inside is an elaborate indigo metal lantern set with indigo glass panes.

Nova, given Flimflam's actions I have assumed that you postpone Rev's.

NovaZulu
2013-04-15, 12:39 AM
Flimflam emerges from the den just as Revell and Whitakker are reaching the height of their battle of wills. Revell has abandoned negotiation and has been reduced to a series of desperate lunges to grab the scurrying weasel.

'You win this round my cunning little friend; may your cowardice in this stand long in infamy', Revell says with a laugh.

OOC
Yeppers ... you can lead a Weasel to a wolf den but you can't force him in.

Will cast Det. Magic on the lamp and anything else Flimflam brings out of the Den. Don't know if you want to keep the SC check from above or roll another (assume you can roll for me if new one needed). Will then have a little look around the room to see if anything else is glowing :D.

Rev ready to head though the webs and down the stairs when the party is.

Ghostfoot
2013-04-15, 04:39 AM
Nothing radiates as magic.

You cut and burn your way through the webs easily enough, and descend a wide stairway into an immense domed chamber. Seven more tunnels branch from the room in all directions.

Opposite the entry stairs, at the end of the passage, a bright green lantern hangs on a thick chain from a high ceiling shrouded in darkness. It casts a weird, murky light about the room. Countless chips of glass and shiny metal inset into the chamber's domed ceiling reflect this light, giving the impression of starlight and falling snow. The dome starts about ten feet off the ground and reaches an apex about thirty feet above the centre of the room.

Below the dome's peak a long dais holds a huge marble sarcophagus. A milky-white bas-relief figure, perhaps of an exotic-looking human, adorns the sarcophagus lid. Unlike the rest of the tomb, this room is completely silent.

Thoradin, with your stonecunning you note that the sarcophagus rests upon a small raised platform carved in the shape of a stylistic arrow pointing to the west. It looks like the whole thing is designed to rotate like a wheel or a dial.

Map:
http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q710/Ghostfoot/Upload9_zps3332f6d9.png

laughing_boy
2013-04-15, 04:58 AM
Vandill nods his thanks to the dwarf and stands at the entrance to the chamber, his head slightly cocked to one side.

Listen [roll0]
...clearly not very well.

Otherwise just hold an action. Pop me four squares to the right from where you have me atm.

Also, Rev, I've got spare torches if you want. One of the few things I spent a few copper on.

'You know, if I'd paid more attention to my teachers I'd probably know from Akadi's wisdom what those air runes were about. Oh well. Expect someone will be along to try and beat the knowledge into us shortly.'

Ghostfoot
2013-04-15, 05:10 AM
Vandill, you hear nothing but silence. You move into the shadows near one of the passageways.

NovaZulu
2013-04-15, 05:40 AM
Revell lets out a small whistle and pauses for a moment gazing around the room.

'That is rather clever isn't it? Perhaps these fellows did a better job of preserving their works than I thought', he whispers. 'I wager it will be a true marvel once we get all the lamps going.'

Revell continues looking around as he moves towards the center of the room to get a better view.

Rev wil keep moving forward slowly ... heading toward the center of the room.

Once there he will take a wee look at the Sarco (search [roll0], spot [roll1]) but won't touch it.

His primary interest after making sure nothing is about to jump outta that coffin is getting all the lamps lit up so the full spectacle of the room can be experienced and assessed. As long as nothing jumps out at us/explodes he'll get on with that starting with trying to work out how the green lamp works.

@Laughing_Boy ... ty for the offer on the torches ... think from Ghosts map I am currently the only one in the group using a light source. Am good for another couple of hours but will sing out before I improv' any more :D

Ghostfoot
2013-04-15, 04:51 PM
Rev, the sarcophagus lid bears the white stone relief of a tall exotic figure, perhaps a caliph or vizier or similar. For some reason the clothing conjures thoughts of ancient times. A scarab-like amulet (part of the sculpture) bears a glyph similar to the ones you have seen before. This glyph also appears to be a naming glyph, although you and Flimflam believe it to be of a lesser stature/ importance than the previous one on the broken apparatus. It definitely looks like the sarcophagus can be rotated like a dial

The green lantern hangs at head height by a chain from the ceiling about forty feet above you. On casual inspection it seems a burning torch has been placed within the lantern.

Unlit lanterns of various colours (orange, yellow, blue, violet) hang at the end of other passageways (W, NW, NE, SE respectively). Two passageways have hooked chains dangling but are missing their lanterns (SW & E).

What appears to be a mouldering skeleton lies in a heap under the blue lantern...

Map:
http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q710/Ghostfoot/Upload10_zps925db42e.png

NovaZulu
2013-04-16, 03:29 AM
Revell looks at the burning torch in the lamp and shuffles back a little, 'Well that's a little worrying', he says.

After a quick survey of the room Revell leans in to inspect the lantern more closely wondering who left the torch and where they might have got to.

'Looks like yours belongs on the right there Flimflam. Perhaps you able fellows could see about that sarcophagus while the clever Gnome and I get these lanterns going.' he calls

OCC
Actions stack for searches and whatnot ... as usual interrupt if something problematic happens.

1. Closer inspection of the green lantern ... trying to work out whether its a normal torch which some has put in there recently or magically sustained somehow.
Search: [roll0]
Spellcraft: [roll1]

2. Check on the 'apparent' skeleton if someone else has not already. Search if it is indeed a skeleton and not some sort of undead monstrosity. Primarily interest in weather this is the missing villager or someone/something else and weather it has the red lantern hidden in its ... moulderings?
Search: [roll2]

3. Check on the blue lantern. If it has an oil mechanism add a little oil and light.

4. Help Flimflam to hang the indigo lantern ... assuming he is willing to hang it up rather than keep it.

5. Check the SW/Red missing lantern and see if there is any sign of it
Search: [roll3]

6. Return to the middle of the chamber and see how the rest of the group is getting on with the Sarcophagus.

Ghostfoot
2013-04-16, 05:11 AM
The torch in the green lantern looks quite ordinary - except that you note that it seems to give off no heat.

The skeleton seems to be just that. An old mouldering human or humanoid skeleton.

You light the blue lantern above it with a bit of lamp oil. It starts flickering and giving off an eerie blue light, as you would expect.

laughing_boy
2013-04-16, 05:30 AM
'Alright then, let's see if this thing actually turns.'

Vandill moves to one end of the sarcophagus and shoves mightily, seeing whether it will turn clockwise.

Strength check? [roll0]

If it won't turn that way, I'll give it a try the other way, so here's a check for that - [roll1]

And if neither has any luck, I'll give it a thorough going over, looking for secret catches or levers etc.
Search [roll2]

Constantly keeping an ear out for trouble while I'm at it, particularly down the side passages, and *especially* when some cavalier fool lights another lantern of unknown purpose.
Listen/Spot rolls as appropriate(I have the same in each), a bunch for as they light each lantern.
1. [roll3]
2. [roll4]
3. [roll5]
4. [roll6]
5. [roll7]
6. [roll8]

Ghostfoot
2013-04-16, 02:18 PM
The sarcophagus inches a little, but you fail to get any traction. Failed str check - try again or get some assistance

It doesn't seem to budge at all anti-clockwise.

It does look like the lid can be removed with a little effort.

Strudel
2013-04-16, 03:06 PM
Flimflam carefully places the indigo lantern on the ground near it's hook then hurries over to add his great gnome strength to Van's efforts.

Woo strength check! [roll0] to assist (or possibly bust it open as a fluke)

Flimflam succeeds in making his arm hurt.

Ghostfoot
2013-04-16, 04:06 PM
Despite Flimflam's mighty assistance you still fail to get it rotating

Make a series of Str checks if you want to keep trying. Let's assume that 3 of you try while Rev is absent-mindedly off around the room (I can roll for the others to keep it moving).

Mo_the_Hawked
2013-04-16, 05:56 PM
Thoradin

"Looks like you could use a hand lad. Let's give another try."

Stupid internet is being...stupid grah!

Using my phone to post, can't roll on here so could some roll for me?

Ghostfoot
2013-04-16, 06:25 PM
The three of you strain against the sarcophagus and manage to swivel it clockwise 45 degrees. There is a soft click as it settles to point towards the corridor with the yellow lantern (northwest). It looks like you could keep rotating it, if you wished.

RUMBLE RUMBLE RUMBLE.

An circular metal column rises out of the floor at the end of the northwest corridor. Seconds after it comes to rest, two doors slide open revealing an empty chamber about the size of a person.

NovaZulu
2013-04-16, 09:10 PM
'Good show, keep up the good work, let's see what's in the next one', Revell calls enthusiastically as he goes on lighting lanterns.

'I've been thinking on this fellow Auric, the self styled 'Champion of the Fields of Triumph' (or was that turnips?) and his companions', Revell says as he continues around the room.

'I wondered for a time if they where in league with Smenk and his gassy Gnome wizard, the timing of their arrival seeming fortuitous and their boastful boorishness bordering on preposterous. Ha ha, say that 10 times fast! But now i think it possible they maybe merely staggering in their ineptitude. What adventurer is in town for 3 days and does not discover that the local youths have already plundered and extracted the last meager measure of "real heroism" their object had to offer? One would imagine the poor chap won that belt at a local fair and is at serious risk of having it laid across his coffin in the near future ... if anyone even bothers to recover the bodies.'
'I realize I should not let it bother me but I do feel we should have a word with them when we return to Daggerford, assuming they survive their encounter with the empty halls of Stirgenest Cairn of course', he chuckles.

OOC
Rev will continue with his clockwise circuit around the room while ruminating ... putting a little oil in each lamp and lighting it. He will hang the indigo lantern before lighting it and search the 'Red' corridor when he gets to that point, roll above (re-roll for me if needed plox).

Once he has been all the way around he will remove the heatless torch from the Green lantern and put a little oil in and light it to balance the light.

If Rev gets through all this before anything interesting happens he will return to the center of the room and inspect the overall effect of the lights/reflections before turning his attention to the sarcophagus again.

Knowledge (Local Waterdeep): [roll0] to see if Rev knows anything about the title 'Champion of the Fields of Triumph', how one earns it, who awards it and what the belt means.

Strudel
2013-04-16, 10:06 PM
To the newly revealed chamber! Flimflam immediately begins inspecting the premises

search roll! [roll0]

Ghostfoot
2013-04-17, 01:17 AM
You light the remaining lanterns with a little oil, save the red which is nowhere to be seen.

Flim, your superior vision and diligent searching uncovers the fact that the ceiling above the blue lantern and skeleton is much higher than the others. At about 50ft up, in the darkness next to where the chain is affixed, you can make out an opening heading NE.

Ghostfoot
2013-04-18, 02:49 AM
Rev, you ponder the Field of Triumph...

The Field of Triumph is one of the chief attractions of the City of Splendors. This huge open-air stadium is the site of various spectacles staged for the populace of Waterdeep. From late spring to late autumn, thousands of people flood through the awe inspiring Lion Gate to witness shows of magic, martial skills, horse races, and exhibitions of monstrous creatures big and small. The field also acts as a public forum for important public events such as the Open Lord’s proclamations to the city and gatherings for foreign dignitaries. The Field of Triumph is closely associated with the church of Tempus.

NovaZulu
2013-04-18, 02:59 AM
'Well come on chaps, give it another push, they can't all be empty', Revell exhorts.

NovaZulu
2013-04-18, 09:29 AM
While the muscle of the team catch their breath Revell considers how best to help. His head swims a little at the thought of pushing himself, 'No definitely not an option.'

Maybe the top slides off easier than it turns he reasons, could be something interesting inside, or even that red lamp. Revell gives the lid of the sarcophagus an experimental nudge.

OOC
Rev's going to try to open the top of the sarcophagus by twisting/rotating it. Hopefully the lid should end up resting on the edges of the sarcophagus with a good slice of the interior reveled for inspection.

Rev will not push so hard as too exert himself, if opening the top requires a strength check it is a job for someone else and Rev will abandon his efforts.

Assuming Rev gets it open ... and nothing jumps out at him ... he will take a we look through the contents, search [roll0]

Ghostfoot
2013-04-19, 04:38 AM
Assume we can trust Ghostfoot not to walk us into fire :smallwink:

The lid of the sarcophagus moves aside quite easily...arcane runes flicker and burn briefly across the open lip...WHOOOSH...scorching flames burst out in all directions.

Flames: Damage [roll0] to all nearby

Revell, reflex Save DC 11 for half damage [roll1]
Whittaker, half damage (improved evasion), reflex Save DC 11 for nil damage [roll2]
Thoradin, reflex Save DC 11 for half damage [roll3]
Vandill, reflex Save DC 11 for half damage [roll4]

The sarcophagus is completely empty.

NovaZulu
2013-04-19, 05:21 AM
Revell pats down the still burning patches of his shirt and hair, one eye already starting to swell shut.

'S**t it' he gasps, 'is everyone Ok?'. He looks quickly around assessing the damage to the group and offering a quick prayer of thanks that the others ducked in time.

'I really am sorry about that I ... well ... that was ill-advised and I apologize', he says humbly.

Waving a hand to clear the lingering smoke he glances down and realizes with a little shock he has taken the full force of the explosion, large patches of red and blistered skin showing through his tattered shirt. 'Oh my, that looks like it could be serious' he says. He sits down with his back against the Sarcophagus to collect himself.

Whittaker sniffs around Revell's wounds but seems to recognize his master would not make an appropriate snack.

OOC
Sorry :(. 2/6 HP, Rev will need a heal or will need to camp.

Strudel
2013-04-19, 06:43 AM
Flimflam clears his throat with a minuscule cough, steps around Rev and will search the sarcophagus for any remaining traps.

hmm yes, trap sense ahoy! [roll0] search. I was too busy considering how I was going to climb up the lamp chain with -1 climb :P

NovaZulu
2013-04-19, 06:53 AM
OOC
Lol yep Rev has the Trapfinding ability but is lacking on the search ranks for sure.

Ghostfoot
2013-04-19, 01:29 PM
You search the sarcophagus thoroughly and find nothing further of note (it still rotates, but doesn't seem to bear further traps).

Ghostfoot
2013-04-19, 02:18 PM
Flim, your search of the room turns up a couple of other things:

Climbing up the chain to the higher passageway should be difficult but not impossible (DC15).
Each of the dead-end passageways has a faint 5ft circle inscribed in the stone floor, similar to that which capped the metal column that has risen. Some are decorative, but three look like they might open (including the one already open).

Mo_the_Hawked
2013-04-19, 07:51 PM
Thoradin

Thoradin rushes over to Rev, "Lad, perhaps ya should be more careful. Ya should try to avoid the traps in the future!" Thoradin then claps Rev on the shoulder and gives him a hearty laugh. He then begins chanting a prayer to Moradin.

I Have a few Level 0's left so I am going to cast Cure Minor Wounds twice on Rev.

That will leave me with one 0-Level and Protection from Evil left for the day.

laughing_boy
2013-04-19, 10:22 PM
Patting out the smolders on his robes, Vandill strolls back to the middle of the room after his hasty leap away.

'Right, well that was...enlightening.

I think it would be best if we rested before going further into the dark, but first we need to make sure there's nothing waiting to eat us just around the corner.'

Vandill looks up into the dark passageway far above and mutters 'or to leap down on us while we sleep', then sits beside the sarcophagus and hauls open his pack.

He starts putting rations and torches aside to get at the rope at the bottom, saying while he does 'Flim, I'll climb up the chain and lower the rope, then haul you up so you can have a look around'.

OOC
Sorry for the delay in posting, have been a bit all over the place this week.

Wrapping the rope around his body and tucking a torch into the coil, Vandill is (hopefully) going to climb up the chain.

Lots of rolls to do that, so I'm going to spew if the forums break them.

Climb [roll0]

If he falls off to try and mitigate some of the damage
Tumble [roll1]
Jump [roll2]

And a second Climb [roll3]

A quick look around at the top just to make sure nothing gribbly is going to eat me.
Spot [roll4]
Listen [roll5]

Then you can have a check to secure it at the top and lower it down without dropping it on Flims tiny head.
Use Rope [roll6]

And Flim weighs almost nothing, but a Strength check anyway to see how long it takes to get him up there with Vandill.
[roll7]

ETA: that was a terrible set of rolls. I'm sure you'll let me know if it goes horribly wrong.

NovaZulu
2013-04-20, 12:56 AM
Revell breathes a little easier as Thoradin's healing magics surround him, the worst of the blisters and cracked skin receding. 'Thank you Thoradin, almost as good as new', he grins, 'shame the same cannot be said for this shirt.'

Revell gets up and tests his mobility, wincing only slightly as he rotates left and right. Peering into the Sarcophagus he chuckles wryly, 'Empty.'

'So what is this, a cairn without a corpse? Some elaborate deception to hide a darker purpose? Or perhaps just insurance against grave robbery, trap the obvious sarcophagus while the sacred bones remain safely interred below ground in these descending vestibules?' he wonders aloud looking around.

If we are going to camp here I quite agree with the acrobatic Monk, we should make every effort to ensure it is secure. In particular I feel we should see what is in the remaining chambers, there is no way of knowing where else they can be raised from, or what they might contain. I for one would rather not find out while we are sleeping.

OOC
Rev will cast Detect Secret Doors (1min/level, 60' cone) and examine the room (walls, floors and ceilings). If he sees any secret doors/compartments etc he will focus in on them to determine exact location and triger mechanism.

He will continue to encourage the the strong members of the group to rotate the sarcophagus once investigation of the upper passage is complete.

Rev is happy to camp here or back out in the overseers office ... he will take last watch in either location.

Ghostfoot
2013-04-20, 02:48 AM
Vandill successfully climbs up the chain above the skeleton and pulls himself into the lip of the hidden passageway. It is pitch black, and you can make out only that the passageway extends into the darkness to the north-east.

You light a torch (I presume you do so anyway) but still cannot see to the end of the corridor.

Flimflam easily climbs up your secured rope (Climb DC5) and can see a little further in the darkness. Perhaps seventy feet away the corridor ends at a wall carved in it's entirety with a huge face similar in style to that on the sarcophagus, except it's mouth is opened in an angry scream (there is no passageway through though, it is a dead-end).

Rev casts Detect Secret Doors and examines the main room. It reveals that there are indeed three compartments/ columns/ vestibules/ elevators that can be raised by rotating the sarcophagus (dial) to point in their respective directions. They are to the NW, N & E (yellow, green & indigo respectively). You find no other new hidden doors or compartments in the main room.

NovaZulu
2013-04-20, 03:07 AM
Revell eyes the rope dubiously but is heartened by the ease with which the Gnome made the ascent.

OOC
If there is enough time left on Rev's Det Sec Doors spell and he can make it up the rope (DC 0 yes?) he will scrabble up and check the dead end for secret doors (from 60 ft away) and/or a gap in the floor leading down into another chamber. He won't go any further into the passage than the others.

Climb Check: [roll0]

Ghostfoot
2013-04-20, 04:09 AM
Rev climbs up the rope quite easily and magically scans the whole area (including the end of the passage) for secret doors and hidden compartments. He finds none.

Sorry, It should actually be a DC5 Climb (I will edit the last post). Still easy though - you have to fail by 5 or more to fall. If you spend some time knotting the rope it reduces the check to DC0, and the rope by 10ft.

And yes, somewhat surprisingly you can climb and maintain concentration. Climb is a move action and concentration is a standard action.

laughing_boy
2013-04-20, 04:16 AM
Well I'm satisfied that no-one is going to come quietly through this way. Still, if you have any means to bar progress, or at least can rig something noisy, I'll sleep easier.

We can leave the rope here until tomorrow, to make our next trip easier.

Van extinguishes his torch, returns to the floor of the chamber, and makes himself comfortable.

Strudel
2013-04-20, 04:21 AM
"What a bizarre little cubby! I was so sure there'd be something up here, unless that terrible screaming mouth is about to spray us all with...acid..or gas...hmm, I think we're done here don't you?"

Flim beats a hasty retreat and abseils back down the rope.

"Well then chums, how about we have a kip for now. I could use a moment to brush up on my spells, and you all look a little ratty around the edges" Flim pauses to snicker at his own amazing rat humour. "I'll take first watch. When we've had a chance to rest, lets keep spinning that sarcophagus and see what new gribbly discoveries await us!"

Strudel
2013-04-20, 04:25 AM
OOC

If we opt to rest (and I really think we should to give Thoradin a chance to get his healing spells back), Flimflam will keep watch attempting to lurk in the shadows.
Hide[roll0] - not sure if you need Move Silently because he's not really going to be moving much, but [roll1] anyway

NovaZulu
2013-04-20, 05:08 AM
'It is inconceivable this is a dead end. This place was designed for creatures of the air, creatures who could perhaps fly. This passage would present no more challenge for them than a corner would us', he says.

A mystery for the morning he concludes reluctantly, taking one last look around before climbing back down and finding a spot to rest for the night. Wrapping his coat snuggly around him he continues pondering the mysteries of this strange place late into the night.

OOC
Rev will cast Detect Magic (1min/Level) and look around before climbing down. He will also check around the main chamber at the bottom with the Det Magic and the suspicious heatless torch in his hand. SC checks below to ID anything magic
Spellcraft: [roll0]
Spellcraft: [roll1]

Rev will take the final watch.

Ghostfoot
2013-04-20, 02:50 PM
You all rest the night in the ancient cairn without incident. You each recover 1 hit point and all of your spells. You consume a days rations.

Rev casts Detect Magic. Both the huge stone face and the heatless torch radiate magic (moderate and faint auras respectively).

3rd of Kythorn, 1374 DR

NovaZulu
2013-04-21, 02:09 AM
Revell sits in the flickering torch light as his fellows get their last hours of well deserved rest. A stalwart company he thinks to himself; not many would be brave enough (or foolish or desperate enough) to camp overnight in a tomb without a second thought. Perhaps given time even a legendary group whose exploits and renown are a spur to people everywhere.

Revell composes the first stanzas of a poem inspired by their adventures in the Whispering Cairn. It is irregular in metre, form and syntax but rich in atmosphere and symbolism. Threaded through with hissing sibilants and punctuated with surprising percussives he tries to capture the rhythms and tensions of the previous days exploration.

OOC
Perform: [roll0]

As the group rises Revell's attention turns to the day ahead.

'I trust you all enjoyed a quiet and restful night, he says. 'I wonder in my case whether residual hearing loss from yesterdays explosion played a part.'

'It seems to me we should examine the remaining vestibules before moving on, no one likes to leave their rear exposed', he grins. 'Furthermore I think the clever Gnome is very likely right regarding the possibility of a trap in the upper corridor. Quite possibly triggered by a pressure plate in the floor if our thesis on flight capable inhabitants is correct. I would be reluctant to put more than one of our number in the passage before it has been throughly searched and a way forward determined. I will of course cede to your better judgment on these matters should you disagree.'

Revell takes up a position behind the sarcophagus, ready to face whatever surprises the vestibule may hold.

OOC
1. Rev will position so the Sarcophagus provides cover to the expected vestibule and wait for the physically superior members of the team to give it a push.
2. Once done with the 2 remaining vestibules Rev will wait in the main chamber near the bottom of the rope for Flimflam to search the upper corridor and the face at the end if he is willing.
3. If Flim is less than keen to scout ahead Rev will do so carefully searching the corridor before each step forward (will take 20 if he can) with a particular eye out for pressure plates. If Rev goes up to search Whit will stay below until Rev calls the all clear.
Climb: [roll1]
Climb: [roll2]
Search: [roll3]
Search: [roll4]
4. Once the vestibules are clear and a route through the upper corridor is determined Rev is ready to move on.

Strudel
2013-04-21, 05:00 AM
After a quick stretch, Flimflam scurries back up the rope for a second look at the weird screaming wall-face, this time taking a good look around while chewing on a piece of jerky from his ration pack.

Taking 20 on my search check up here to make sure we've not missed anything now that we know the wall is magic - we've got time.

laughing_boy
2013-04-21, 05:08 AM
Vandill follows after Flim to keep an eye on the scurrilous gnome.

Ghostfoot
2013-04-21, 07:33 PM
Thoradin and Revell wait down in the main chamber while Flimflam and Vandill explore the high corridor.

Vandill (I presume) holds a torch while Flimflam spends a good couple of hours searching the passage in detail. You find an extremely well hidden (Search DC 25) pressure plate about 60ft down the corridor, close to the face at the end. It looks like it would trigger if a human or dwarf stood on it - a gnome should be fine. It covers the floor of the corridor for 5ft (so a small jump to get across, now that you have found it).

Several long scratch marks are evident on the floor, as if something had been dragged from the pressure plate back to the lip of the passageway.

You do search the face at the end of the corridor and find nothing further of interest.

NovaZulu
2013-04-22, 01:50 AM
Revell is pleased to find support for the 'flying inhabitants' thesis in the discovery of the pressure plate, but perplexed by the lack of an obvious way forward.

'Curious indeed. What quirk of architecture or engineering eccentricity would compel one to hide, and then trap, a dead end corridor? What say you Thoradin, might we have inadvertently sealed the way forward by rotating the sarcophagus? Perhaps all the chambers must be in the down position for the way forward to open?', Revell asks.

Revell continues to ponder the situation, quickly assembling a list of alternative scenarios:

1. A specific spell might be required to open the way forward, something the builders could be sure any rightful visitor would have access to.
2. The pressure plate might in fact be a button, opening a way forward for a flight capable visitor even as some object pushes any earth bound explorer out of the passageway to fall to their death.
Concluding both of these alternatives seem to require a more lengthy and difficult investigation to resolve he holds his tongue (with some difficulty), awaiting the resolution of the sarcophagus angle.

OOC
Think we should rotate the sarcophagus one 'notch' at a time and check the upper passage after each position. Failing that we may need to trigger the trap.

Strudel
2013-04-29, 01:34 AM
Flimflam gives an almighty gnomish heave-ho and tries to push the sarcophagus around again.

Strength check woo! [roll0]

Ghostfoot
2013-04-29, 02:52 AM
You all gather in the main room again. All of the lanterns are running low on oil, flickering and spluttering.

Flimflam, you push against the sarcophagus and manage to swivel it clockwise another 45 degrees. There is a soft click as it settles to point towards the corridor with the green lantern (north). Again, it looks like you could keep rotating it, if you wished.

Swish. The doors on the column to the northwest slide shut. RUMBLE RUMBLE RUMBLE. The circular metal column descends back into the floor.

There is a similar RUMBLE RUMBLE RUMBLE from the northern corridor. SCREEEEEECH!!!!!! BOOM....BOOM...BOOM. SCREEEEEECH!!!!! You could swear you saw some dust or dirt fall from the masonry down near the green lantern.

Thoradin, needless to say, whatever is going on does not sound healthy for the corridor foundations to the north. You are hearing the sound of stonework under stress and giving way.

=> Party

laughing_boy
2013-04-29, 05:23 AM
'Perhaps you should be a little more circumspect in rotating the sarcophagus little one, despite how I'm sure it pleases you to revel in your mighty strength.'

Vandill ducks forward in each direction that noise comes from to ascertain what is happening.

OOC
Spot [roll0] to see if there's anything down each way.

'To be honest, I'd rather you turned it once and let us check the results thoroughly, lest you let in a horde of beasties from every direction simultaneously.'

Ghostfoot
2013-04-29, 10:19 AM
There is definitely a slight shuddering and trembling visible in the corridor to the north. Specifically, as you (Vandill) move forward for a better look, you see the flagstones at the end of the corridor give a small lurch.

All other passageways appear quiet and still.

NovaZulu
2013-04-29, 10:55 AM
'Looks to be stuck, give it a kick Vandil.' calls Revell.

Mo_the_Hawked
2013-04-29, 03:12 PM
Thoradin

"Sounds like some stones are collapsing, that hallway to north could give way. We should be prepared for anything!"

After alerting his allies to potential disaster Thoradin slings his shield back and hangs his warhammer on his belt. He then takes out his rope and attempts to secure it to the sarcophagus.

[roll0] Use Rope

Ghostfoot
2013-04-29, 04:16 PM
The sounds of distressed machinery and/ or masonry increase. Thoradin secures his rope around the sarcophagus and you all prepare yourselves.

WHOOOMPF!..........CRASH!

A circular area at the end of the northern corridor finally gives up and collapses in on itself. You hear the sound of the debris crashing down and hitting the bottom far below. A cloud of dust starts to settle around the gaping hole.

=> Party

NovaZulu
2013-04-30, 01:17 AM
Revell looks around the rest of the chamber slightly nervously, being buried alive is even lower on his list of life goals than you might expect. Absently brushing stray dust of his coat he returns his attention to the new hole in the floor.

'Well that is rather surprising,' Revell says,

'and no doubt Thoradin will agree, one could reasonably expect the moving components to be destroyed leaving the casing and surround structure intact in most cases of non-explosive mechanical failure. It's the predictable result of light, complicated elements mashing into generally heavy, simple, well mortared blocks. Magic and time are of course complicating factors, the former strengthening the substrate as a corollary effect and the later having a notorious weakening effect on traditional stone-masonry.'

'We can be pleased, I think, that Vandil was slow to pursue my suggestion to "give it a kick",' he grins.

With a last look around to make sure nothing else is going to fall Revell creeps forward to the edge of the hole to take a look at what is below.

OOC
Revell will move forward to the edge of the hole to take a look. If the floor under his feet at any point starts feeling bouncy/loose etc he will retreat back to the sarcophagus. Checks below to see what can be seen, particularly interest in a way forward/onward out of this room preferably not requiring climb checks :D

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]
Search: [roll2]

laughing_boy
2013-04-30, 04:25 AM
Vandill peers into the murk at the bottom of the freshly uncovered pit. 'I'm going to have to agree with the annoying wizard Flim, you broke that good. Lets hope it was a trap, rather than anything important.'

Rummaging through his pack, the monk continues 'Well I've got two torches left, but I'd not just drop one down the pit. Anyone got some magic they can throw down to light it up?'

Spot [roll0] on the offchance he can get a glimpse at the bottom

Strudel
2013-04-30, 04:30 AM
"Well, if that was a trap, in my expert opinion I would say it is now thoroughly disabled." Flimflam scampers down to peer down the hole.

Search [roll0] and Spot [roll1] with low light vision. If its too dark to see, Flimflam will cast Light on a piece of rock and drop it down the hole

Ghostfoot
2013-04-30, 06:08 PM
You move up to the edge of the hole. It seems stable enough to you.

Revell, you peer into the darkness: The pit extends down to the limit of your vision (40ft). Concentrating on the apparent difficulty of a descent (DC 5) you fail to notice anything further...

Vandill, you peer into the darkness: The pit extends down to the limit of your vision (40ft). It looks like it would be easy enough to climb down (DC 5). You can hear a skittering sound coming from the depths, kinda like a million diamonds jostling might sound...or insects...

Thoradin, you are still standing back slightly: The edge of the pit definitely looks safe. You can hear a skittering sound coming from the depths, kinda like a million diamonds jostling might sound...or insects...

Flimflam, you peer into the darkness: You can see down to the wreckage of what is now clearly an elevator, lying in the darkness at the base 60ft below. It looks like it would be easy enough to climb down (DC 5).

Perched on the wreckage, a lethal-looking many-legged creature blinks a huge single eye upwards:
http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q710/Ghostfoot/MS_zps91bc8a64.jpg
The man-sized creature seems agitated at the sight of you...or hungry...and begins slowly ascending towards you, it's limbs braced against the sides.

Furthermore you hear a skittering sound coming below. Initially distracted by the nightmarish creature, you now notice a large and equally horrifying swarm of beetles is already quickly surging up the hole towards you all (you have 1 round of actions before it reaches the lip).

=> Party (one round of actions only please. Talking is a free action)

Map:http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q710/Ghostfoot/Upload11_zps06a287d1.png

Mo_the_Hawked
2013-04-30, 08:08 PM
Thoradin
Well seeing as Thoradin doesn't know about the ickies. So this action occurs after he is informed of the baddies.

Thoradin casts Bless on the party.

"Watch out lads, the edge is stable, but I hear something down there! Thoradin calls to the rest of the group.

NovaZulu
2013-04-30, 09:39 PM
Revell's eyes go wide as the writhing collection of legs and carapaces emerges from the darkness below.

'Incoming intrusion of roaches and a ... what would you call that thing Flimflam, an Eyeder?' says Revell.

He takes a few quick steps backward and to the side, clearing a path for Thoradin and whispering the words of a warding invocation.

OOC
Free Action: Speak as above
Move Action: Move to G16, 10ft (via F15,G16)
Standard Action: Cast Mage Armour on Self shared with Whit
Whit flees to hide behind the sarcophagus. :D

Ghostfoot
2013-04-30, 11:41 PM
Initiative for the next round is as follows:

{table=head]Character | Initiative | Special

Revell| [roll2] |Nerveskitter, Mage Armour, Blessed
Whittaker| [roll3] |fleeing, Blessed (will => lose Mage Armour)
Vandill| [roll1]|Blessed
Flimflam| [roll4]|Blessed
Nightmare Beast| [roll7]| climbing
Beetle Swarm| [roll6] |climbing, about to reach surface
Thoradin| [roll0]|Blessed
Chesdale| [roll5]| staying in pouch
[/table]

Van & Flim are still to act this round.

Everyone except Thoradin (& Chesdale) can continue with their round 2 actions before any critters get near.

Strudel
2013-05-01, 03:26 AM
Flimflam flinches back slightly with a startled "Ugh!" and conjures a ball of acid, flinging it directly into the eye of the spider-like critter.

Acid Splash! Take that, you filthy gribble! Ranged touch attack of [roll0] for [roll1] damage if it hits.

Strudel
2013-05-01, 03:31 AM
Firstly I forgot I get a +1 bonus to attacks (including ranged touch) for being a gnome so that roll above should be 16.

For my second round, again being new to crossbows, can I use my move action to pull out the crossbow and load it, and then my standard action to shoot it?

Because if I can, Flim's gonna shoot that speyeder right in the eyeball with a [roll0] and if it hits, [roll1] damage. If he can't, he's going to move back 20 feet and pull out his crossbow and load it ready for next round

Strudel
2013-05-01, 03:32 AM
On my hypothetical attack - crit threat [roll0] to confirm and another [roll1] to add to my measly 1 damage from the first roll

Ghostfoot
2013-05-01, 07:12 AM
Sorry Flim...

Flimflam flinches back slightly with a startled "Ugh!" and conjures a ball of acid, flinging it directly into the eye of the spider-like critter.

Acid Splash! Take that, you filthy gribble! Ranged touch attack of [roll0] for [roll1] damage if it hits.

Your range with this spell is rubbish (25ft at level 1). The gribble is coming quite slowly (20ft per round) and will still be 40ft away on your turn in round 2. You could hold your action until it's in range in round 2 but by then the beetle swarm will have reached you. You could cast it at the swarm in round 1 (only 20ft away and closing...).

For my second round, again being new to crossbows, can I use my move action to pull out the crossbow and load it, and then my standard action to shoot it?

With BAB+0 you can only draw (move action) and load (another move) in the same round. When you get to BAB+1 you will be able to draw (free), then load (move) and shoot (standard) in the same round.

So a legit sequence might be:
Round 1: Cast acid splash at beetle swarm. Retreat 20ft.
Round 2. Draw crossbow. Load crossbow.

Ghostfoot
2013-05-01, 07:34 AM
Although it would be fine to have your crossbow drawn (unloaded) as standard practice. You could still cast (ie just hold it with your offhand while casting). You could have it pre-emptively loaded when expecting danger, for short periods of time.

If you want to do this just update your sheet so the crossbow is held, not stashed away. Not certain this really helps you now though, as the beetles are the more immediate threat.

Edit: sorry, a bit muddled when I posted above. Let's assume you drew your crossbow as you approached the pit. Round 1 actions are to load and shoot the gribble (rolls as above) Round 2 actions are to move 20ft and then have one standard action (another move 20ft, or a reload?). Let me know if that works for you

NovaZulu
2013-05-01, 08:20 AM
Revell takes a deep breath as he listens to the horde surge toward the rim, counting the seconds until they burst forth. Five seconds to incapacitate the beetles before the nightmare arrives ... not nearly long enough. The tactical situation feels like it could get quickly out of control.

'Might be worth standing back a little bit fellows, those scurrying pests look little inclined to respect your personal space,' he suggests helpfully.

OOC
Round 2, delay action to initiative 8 (or when the beetles emerge from the rim and Rev has LOS on them). Soz can't do conditionals, too many permutations of party/beetle position :(.

Strudel
2013-05-01, 06:10 PM
Right, sorry still trying to work out the logistics. I'll keep the acid splash and then bail backwards to fuss about with this stupid crossbow which is going to be abandoned very shortly

Flimflam aims the acid splash at the speyeder but it rips through the cloud of beetles swarming up the shaft instead.

He scurries backwards 20ft to load his crossbow next round.

Ghostfoot
2013-05-01, 08:03 PM
Right, sorry still trying to work out the logistics. No worries at all. Me too.

Splish....Ssssssss.....The orb of acid splashes across the side of the shaft, obliterating a section of the swarming insects. The remaining beetles do not even slow their surging ascent.

More concerning is the thin yellow film of smoking/ steaming acid that the beetles are apparently exuding from their bodies as they move.

Flim stumbles backward, frantically loading his crossbow.

Yes, this beetle swarm deals a form of acid damage. No, it is not immune to acid damage from other sources (like your Acid Splash)

=> Vandill

laughing_boy
2013-05-03, 05:56 AM
Flim is demanding I act IMMEDIATELY RIGHT NOW. So...

Vandill waits at the edge of the hole, preparing to hit an acid covered beetle with his bare fist, almost certainly burning his flesh and feeling very sorry for himself.

Hold an action, smack some beetles in the face when given the chance.
Flurry of blows when he gets the chance, here's some rolls:
Unarmed (bless+1,flurry-2,base+4) [roll0]
Unarmed (bless+1,flurry-2,base+4) [roll1]

If he hits, damage is:
hit 1 [roll2]
hit 2 [roll3]

Ghostfoot
2013-05-03, 05:39 PM
The beetle swarm erupts from the shaft and surges hungrily towards Vandill (D16, D17, E16, E17). Squish...squish...squish...squish. There are too many of them - your desperate attacks seem futile. The insects start biting all over Van's body, and their acidic secretions sting your skin.

Swarm: Immune to weapon damage.
Swarm: Automatic hit vs Vandill
Damage: [roll0]
plus Acid Damage [roll1] Fort save DC 11 for half [roll2]
plus Nauseated effect Fort save DC 11 [roll3]

Sorry am posting from the beach...will tidy up and post a map when I'm in front of a pc

=> Party (Rev>Thoradin>Van>Flim) post out of order if easier

NovaZulu
2013-05-04, 02:30 AM
Revell squints a little and bobs his head from side to side trying to judge the distance to the beetle covered monk. With the area swimming in an acid haze it is exceeding difficult to make a definitive judgment. The spell will probably fall just short of him he figures ... those beetles will likely kill him if I don't stop them anyway ... and it's not like I'd be losing a close friend ... not guilty by reason of honest mistake your Honor. Revell smiles a little, his decision made, and prepares to cast a spell.

'SHUT YOUR EYES VANDIL' he yells as he begins weaving the arcane symbols. Clashing ribbons of color shoot forth from his outstretched palm, briefly outlining the beetle swarm in a blinding corona which fades to a residual negative over the next few seconds.

OOC
Free Action: Talk
Standard Action: Cast Colour Spray (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Color_Spray) (DC 13, will neg) so as to hit the swarm but not Vandil. Think cone origin NW corner of Rev's square G16 goes to D16, E17, F18 and falls short of Vandil in D17.
=<2HD, [roll0] rounds Unconscious, blinded, stunned
=<4HD, [roll1] rounds Blinded, stunned
=<5HD, 1 round stunned
Effect cumulative so if 2HD get <4HD and <5HD effects after.
Move: If required Rev will take a 5 foot step or a move action to position to get the swarm but not Vandil, pref going away from the hole rather than toward it :D

Ghostfoot
2013-05-04, 03:47 AM
Colours wind and flash from Rev's fingertips, dancing through the swarm of beetles. The near-mindless creatures seem completely unaffected as they continue their frenzied scuttle on and around their intended meal.
Swarm: Immune mind-affecting (pattern) spells.

Rev - No need to 5ft step, your range interpretation is correct.

Map:
http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q710/Ghostfoot/Upload12_zpsf1b045d7.png

=> Party (Thoradin>Van>Flim) post out of order if easier

laughing_boy
2013-05-04, 05:54 AM
Vandill embraces the better part of valor and runs away from the bugs he seems incapable of squashing.

Stupid bugs.

move me somewhere back from the bugs once you've got a map sorted, otherwise I'll just hold an action or something.

Mo_the_Hawked
2013-05-04, 09:32 AM
Thoradin

Thoradin back pedals towards the pedestal.

Damn swarm!

Strudel
2013-05-04, 05:34 PM
After seeing the swarm avoid Van's efforts, Flim holds his crossbow in his offhand and fires another ball of acid.

Ranged Touch attack with bless [roll0] for [roll1] acid damage

Ghostfoot
2013-05-04, 08:08 PM
Vandill & Thoradin retreat from the crawling mass toward the sarcophagus in the center of the chamber.

Flimflam launches conjures another gob of acid and hurls it toward the critters, with no discernible affect.

The swarming insects advance and envelop Revell in a mass of biting, stinging, burning carapaces...Rev collapses to the floor under their overwhelming onslaught.
Vandill & Thoradin, I have assumed your closing positions as marked - let me know if this is not as you intended.

Flim - ranged touch attack misses.

Revell...oh dear:

Acid Beetle Swarm: Automatic hit vs Rev
Biting Damage: [roll0]
plus Acid Damage [roll1] Fort save DC 11 for half [roll2]
plus Nauseated effect Fort save DC 11 [roll3]

Map:
http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q710/Ghostfoot/Upload13_zps7871ac6b.png

=> Party (Rev>Thoradin>Van>Flim) post out of order if easier

Strudel
2013-05-05, 01:07 AM
Edit: Considering next move

NovaZulu
2013-05-05, 01:52 AM
OOC
Rolling for stabilisation for round 3 [roll0] vs 10% chance

laughing_boy
2013-05-05, 02:59 AM
On his next available action van is going to dash in and grab rev's bleeding form, and drag him clear of the swarm.

Strength check to drag him in a hurry [roll0]

If he succeeds at that, he'll start rifling Revs pack for the lamp oil he had earlier.

Search [roll1]

'Ah buggrit, damn fool sorceror should have burnt the critters instead of composing an ode to them. This is going to hurt.'

That said, Vandill charges into the swarm.

NovaZulu
2013-05-05, 04:30 AM
OOC
You'll find one flask of oil and 2 improvised torches soaked in oil in Rev's satchel. The lamp oil is still up in the rags in the entrance hall afaik.

Ghostfoot
2013-05-07, 02:21 AM
Seeing Revell collapse, Thoradin dashes back in to the swarm of insects. Swatting at those that manage to attach to their bodies, he drags the frail sorcerer clear.

Thoradin burns 2 AP. Both end in square L14 (Rev prone of course).

=> Party (Van>Flim)

NovaZulu
2013-05-08, 02:15 AM
OOC
[roll0] vs 10% to stabilize

Rev auto-stabilizes at -3 hp :D

Ghostfoot
2013-05-09, 05:33 AM
Vandill dashes over to the dwarf and the badly burned sorcerer. He quickly rummages through Revell's gear, searching for the oil that he had found earlier. Frantically he rips some cloth, stuffs it in as a fuse, and lights the flask ready to throw.

Vandill burns 2 AP to get the 2 sets full-round actions (1. move and then retrieve the flask of oil and flint & tinder, 2. light the flask of oil). He ends in square M15.

=> Flim

Strudel
2013-05-10, 04:41 PM
Flim backpedals 20ft and casts Mage Armor.

laughing_boy
2013-05-10, 04:42 PM
OOC
Sorry, been a bit overwhelmed this week. Vandill will chuck that flask at the swarm as soon as he's able to, and there's a clear shot.

Preferably avoiding setting the sorceror alight and burning away his last precious hp :D

Buggered if I remember what the roll is for throwing an improvised flask. Vans Str is +3, Dex is +2, Ranged is +3 (BAB of 1)

Ghostfoot
2013-05-10, 08:24 PM
The seething mass of insects advances towards you...it's almost upon you all.

Map:
http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q710/Ghostfoot/Upload14_zps46a2d882.png

=>Party (Rev>Thoradin>Van>Flim)

Mo_the_Hawked
2013-05-10, 09:04 PM
Thoradin

Thoradin carries Rev further away from the swarm and casts a spell on him.

Converting Obscuring Mist to a Cure Light Wounds.
[roll0] fingers crossed!

Edit: Damn fingers! Do what your supposed to.

laughing_boy
2013-05-11, 02:57 AM
Vandill lights the flask and hiffs it at the mob of insects, then moves to scarper further away from them.

Ranged attack?

Burn 1 Ap to add 1D6 to the attack roll [roll]1d6

laughing_boy
2013-05-11, 03:55 AM
try and roll again [roll0]

Final total is 11 for the to hit.

Ghostfoot
2013-05-11, 04:54 AM
Whoosh!

The oil flask bursts in the middle of the insect swarm and catches alight. A good number of the crittters are crisped, a number remain however.

Fire damage [roll0]
+50% damage vs. Swarm = 3 damage total.
Swarm is alight (will take fire damage next round).

(You have almost dealt enough damage to disperse it)

You also had an extra +1 to hit from Thoradin's Bless

...then moves to scarper further away from them.

Yep, you can throw then take a normal move action (40ft). Where do you want to end?

=>Flim>Critters>Rev>Thoradin

Strudel
2013-05-11, 05:55 AM
Flim hustles back a little more and readies his crossbow, conscious there's still the speyeder yet to come.

Move back to O17, make sure crossbow is loaded and ready to go - if that's a standard action, all good - if it was already loaded before (I can't remember if that was when I stuffed up action phases) then I'll just hold an action.

Ghostfoot
2013-05-11, 03:12 PM
The beetles attempt to escape the flames.

Fire damage [roll0]+50%=9 total

Insufficient mass of beetles remain to constitute a threat...the swarm is effectively dispersed.

The eyeder hasn't shown itself yet though!!

=> Party (Rev>Thor>Van>Flim>Eyeder)

Mo_the_Hawked
2013-05-11, 05:20 PM
Thoradin

Thoradin gives a sigh of relief as the swarm disperses, he then focuses on Rev. Thoradin places his hands on Rev and begins to chant another prayer, asking Moradin to heal his injuries more completely this time.

Another healing attempt! Converting Protection from Evil to Cure Light Wounds.

[roll0]

Strudel
2013-05-11, 10:06 PM
Flimglam presses himself up against the side of the sarcophagus and tries to be as small and quiet as possible, carefully holding his loaded crossbow.

If possible, Hide roll of [roll0]

Ghostfoot
2013-05-13, 07:52 PM
The ocular beastie comes creeping over the lip of the pit and prepares to advance upon you. It emits a horrid tittering sound as it skitters forward on lethal-looking legs.

=> Rev>Thor>Van>Flim>Speyeder

Map:
http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q710/Ghostfoot/Upload15_zpsa5f5dfe4.png

NovaZulu
2013-05-14, 11:37 PM
Taking only a few moments to compose himself Revel jumps to his feet. Swaying only a little from the recent bloodloss he sizes up the Eyeder.

'Fellows I would be most appreciative if you would keep this one off me' he says.

As he begins whispering the words of magic he casts a quick glance around himself to ensure his companions are not in retreat.

OOC
Free Action: speak
Move Action: Stand from prone
Standard Action: start full round action cast Sleep spell so it hits the Eyeder and misses any party members.

Rev will need to use a standard action next round to complete the full round cast at which point the spell will take effect. Will do DC's and target then.

Mo_the_Hawked
2013-05-16, 05:29 PM
Thoradin

Thoradin relived that the swarm has dispersed steps forward to ward of an attack by this new monstrosity, drawing his warhammer he prepares attack the monster as it approaches.

Stepping forward to I-14 and reading an attack if the speyeder comes into my threatened area.

laughing_boy
2013-05-18, 11:25 PM
Van decides to see how a spider likes being punched in the eye, using a sample size of at least 8.

Cant see where the map is, but will assume van has sufficient movement to closesince he has ever so much movement.

Flurry of Unarmed blows, see if i get bitten to death before we kill it
Attack 2 [roll0]
Damage 1 [roll1]
Attack 2 [roll2]
Damage 1 [roll3]

Strudel
2013-05-18, 11:43 PM
Flim sighs, looks at his crossbow in disgust and steps forward, firing a bolt of arcane energy from his other hand.

Magic Missile! [roll0]

Ghostfoot
2013-05-19, 03:44 AM
Revell starts casting...Thoradin steps up to keep any danger away from the frail sorcerer.

Vandill advances quickly towards the creature and lands a solid blow against it.
Flurry of Blows carries a -2 to hit penalty so I think you are +2 to hit in total (+1 BAB, +3 Str, -2 FoB). Makes no difference to these attacks anyway: First one hits for 9 damage, second misses).

Zap! Flimflam successfully blasts the critter with magical energy.

The "speyeder" focuses it's eye angrily on Vandill and lunges at him with it's sharp legs.
Claw 1 [roll0], Damage [roll1] Hit
Claw 2 [roll2], Damage [roll3] Miss
One of it's legs slashes across the Northman's torso. It's mad tittering increases in a frenzy as it draws blood.

Map:http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q710/Ghostfoot/Upload16_zps1f496b3d.png

=>Rev>Thor>Van>Flim>Speyeder

Strudel
2013-05-19, 04:47 AM
Posting ahead of turn to keep things going

Flim puts his stupid crossbow on the ground and sprints forward towards the speyeder, trusting his mage armour will hold against the bizarre thing's attacks.

Double move of 40ft to G17

laughing_boy
2013-05-19, 05:09 AM
Vandill swears in a particularly un-monkish manner as the blood starts to stain his robe, and swings at the spiders other eyes.

Quite right, it is -2 for flurry.
If he gets another chance, Vandill will do it again.

Attack 1 [roll0]
Damage 1 [roll1]

Attack 2 [roll2]
Damage 2 [roll3]

Mo_the_Hawked
2013-05-19, 08:00 AM
Thoradin

Thoradin rushes forward to aid Van, swinging his warhammer down on the creature with all his might.

Move to E14 and Melee Attack
[roll0]
[roll1]

Ghostfoot
2013-05-19, 04:03 PM
I'm making an assumption that Revell chooses to complete his casting of Sleep vs the speyeder:
Speyeder: Save [roll0] vs DC 14. That's bad luck :(

It blinks it's eye drowsily but in it's bloodlust it shrugs off the effects of the spell.

=> Rev (remaining action)>Thor(acted)>Van(acted)>Flim(acted)>Speyeder

NovaZulu
2013-05-19, 04:52 PM
OOC
Apols, missed the update emails.

Revell completes his invocation, and curses as the beast resists the magic. A giant Speyeder with the will of a zen monk? Preposterous!

'Perhaps we can flick this bug back down the long drop from which it emerged. I'll take care of the lubrication,' he calls out to his companions.

He takes a few steps closer to the creature and begins to martial the magic for yet another spell.

OOC
Standard Action: As posted by Ghost above complete casting Sleep spell
Move Action: Move to J15 (K15, J15)
Free Action: Speak

Ghostfoot
2013-05-19, 05:12 PM
Thoradin advances but can't get a clear blow in past the creature's deadly limbs.

Vandill is locked in a deadly tit-for-tat struggle with the beast. One of his blows strikes home.

The speyeder continues to flail it's sharp limbs at both Vandill and Thoradin:
Thoradin misses.
Vandill's first attack hits, second misses.

Claw 1 vs Vandill [roll0], Damage [roll1]
Claw 2 vs Thoradin [roll2], Damage [roll3]

Blood splashes at both are injured...the monk falls under the onslaught (muttering obscenities...?)!!

=>Rev>Thor>Van>Flim>Speyeder

Map:
http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q710/Ghostfoot/Upload17_zps9862f571.png

NovaZulu
2013-05-19, 06:37 PM
Seeing the monk drop Revell is certain this day will form the nadir of his epic poem of the adventure in Whispering Cairn. The obvious symmetry of adding the Speyeder to the downward momentum of fortune's trajectory appeals immensely.

Revell rolls the components between his thumb and forefingers, feeling the oils emulsify under the pressure. He speaks the words of magic and throws his hand toward the Speyeder as he completes the spell. A oily film covers the opening of the hole.

'Let's see how many of those legs you can keep under you now blinky,' he taunts the creature with more confidence than he feels.

OOC

Standard Action: Cast Grease 1 round duration, 10 ft sq centered NE corner of D14 (= C15, C16, D15,D16), reflex save DC 14 or fall over. Movement requires balance check.
Move Action: None

If permitted Rev will add an action point to the DC of the spell [roll0] for an epic slip'n'slide Gere insertion :D

Ghostfoot
2013-05-19, 06:45 PM
The speyeder tries to keep itself upright on it's many legs...it skitters and stumbles.
Reflex save [roll0] vs DC 15 (14+1)

Ghostfoot
2013-05-19, 07:01 PM
The speyeder slips toward the lip of the hole...it catches itself but remains prone.
Reflex save [roll0] vs DC 10
Damage (if it falls) [roll1]
=> Thor>Van>Flim>Speyeder

Mo_the_Hawked
2013-05-19, 08:15 PM
Thoradin

After watching his friend fall to the blows of the creature Thoradin brings his warhammer down with all his might.

Gonna use another Action Point.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Ghostfoot
2013-05-19, 09:01 PM
Split! Splack! Splick! Thoradin brings his hammer down on the eyeball spider creature again and again. It is toast.
Don't worry about using the AP Mo, you hit it without needing to use it.
Phew. For a change, there don't appear to be any hostile creatures trying to eat you!

=> Party

NovaZulu
2013-05-19, 11:02 PM
Revell takes a deep breath and permits himself a brief grin. His wounds are a persistent fire on his skin and Vandil is in a bad state, but everyone is alive and that was far from a certain outcome.

Revell quickly retrieves the torch from where it fell, ignoring the floor slicked red with his own blood. He continues forward to Vandil sparing a brief glance down the hole to ensure no more surprises are on their way up. He kneels to check the monks wounds.

Removing the scarf from around his own neck he uses it to apply what first aid he can to staunch the bleeding from the most obvious wounds.

'I hope Moradin still holds you in high favor Thoradin, Vandil has grave need of his blessings,' he says.

Whittaker shows far to much interest in the ragged strips of Vandil's exposed wounds until Revell shoos him away. 'Our friends never smell delicious you little monster,' he remonstrates. 'You will resist whatever crimes your stomach may be advocating.'

OOC
Heal check to apply first aid to Vandil vs DC15 [roll0]

Mo_the_Hawked
2013-05-20, 09:40 AM
Thoradin

With a weary smile Thoradin answers Rev "Moradin has smiled upon us this day, for we are still here. Let's see what more blessing he has for us." He places his hands on Van and offers his prayers for healing.

Well I'll use all three of my level 0 spells for +3 hp.

laughing_boy
2013-05-20, 04:23 PM
'Arrrrrgh. Bloody spider. Stupid vermin. This was a bloody stupid place to come.'

Vandill drags himself upright and stumbles over to the wall to lean against it, before sliding down to the floor again.

'Thanks for the healing Thoradin. That one was far too close.

I'm just going to...sit down for a bit.'

Strudel
2013-05-21, 02:50 AM
'In hindsight, maybe I should have asked my master for a healing potion or two before setting out..'

Flimflam heads over to his discarded crossbow and carefully picks it up. "I'm beginning to think this was a poor investment. The guardsman made it look so easy to use but...I think I might need to investigate other options" he sighs, scowling at the piles of dead insects.

He heads over to check on Vandill. "I think we're going to need to stop for a while so our friend here can regather his strength. I never was any good at patching people up, though at least I can do something about his clothes" he says, and casts Mending on Van's shredded robe."I can take first watch"

NovaZulu
2013-05-21, 04:27 PM
'Quite so Flimflam, quite so,' Revell mumbles. 'It pains me to halt when such a tantalizing path lies unexplored before us, but I am spent and this cairn appears to be as dangerous as it is mysterious.

Revell feels a wave of hunger wash over him, Whittaker's rather than his having long since ceased relations with his own stomach. He feels around absently in the bottom of his satchel identifying by touch some old nuts, a fine cheese some weeks ago now gone hard and a few pieces of mysterious fruit. Images of panic and recrimination flash across his mind ... a handsome weasel emaciated and struggling to stand, then a weasel jumping on Revell's face and devouring his nose, then a contented weasel happily curled on the lap of a fat old mage just starting in on a feast of roast meats, fish and game.

'They execute familiars guilty of attacking their masters Whit', he sighs 'and Gusto would never take you on ... to scrawny to eat in an emergency, his last was a calf you know.'

An image of the dead wolves upstairs floats into Revell's mind, and never has carrion looked as delicious or desirable in his life.

'If we must,' Revell says, resigning himself to some ad hoc butchery. They head upstairs, Whittaker taking eager lead and return some time later with large rough hunks of wolf meat for roasting on the fire.

OOC
Rev will take last watch.
Rev is running out of food, so is eating the wolf meat as rations. Think others might be too, so plenty for all.

Ghostfoot
2013-05-22, 05:56 AM
You all make camp and rest the afternoon and the night in the ancient cairn without incident, save for squishing the occasional acid-exuding beetle that has been loitering around from the swarm. Some of you hunt for rabbits and forage for edible plants.

4th of Kythorn, 1374 DR

A new day dawns...
You each recover 1 hit point and all of your spells. You consume a days rations.

NovaZulu
2013-05-22, 05:02 PM
OOC
Survival check for wolf meat vs Dc 10, [roll0]

Mo_the_Hawked
2013-05-22, 06:10 PM
Thoradin

After waking up and offering his daily prayers to Moradin, Thoradin cooks up some of the meat he was able to procure yesterday.

"Well lads it's not the finest food you'll ever had, but it'll fill ya up." Then he places his hands on Rev, "You still look a little worse for wear, let blessings of Moradin have in store for you."

After that he kneels next to Van, "Well lad, lets see what Moradin's grace will cure you today." He then places his hands on Van's wounds and invokes Moradin's name.

Just let me know if you partake of the food for recording purposes.

Now for the heals! Casting two Cure Light Wounds [roll0]

Oops, forgot about Rev, you'll get 3 back, using all my Cure Minor Wounds for that.

Ghostfoot
2013-05-24, 03:28 AM
As you are getting prepared, you cast another look down the collapsed hole. Thoradin & Flimflam, with your vision you can see that the shaft opens into a chamber after about 40ft. Resting in the darkness on the floor another 20ft below this is the mangled remains of the steel elevator.

The climb down looks relatively easy. DC10 to climb unassisted, DC5 with a rope, DC0 with a knotted rope.

BTW the oil in the lamps up here has all well and truly spluttered and gone out by now. Your only current light source is Rev's everburning torch (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Everburning_Torch).

Strudel
2013-05-26, 03:36 AM
Flimflim pulls out the rope and looks for something to secure it to.

Is there anything to tie it to around here? Use Rope of [roll0] if he can find anything.

Ghostfoot
2013-05-26, 04:15 AM
Flimflim pulls out the rope and looks for something to secure it to.

Is there anything to tie it to around here? Use Rope of [roll0] if he can find anything.

Sure. Flimflam ties the rope to one of the flagstones that is still securely mortared in place.

Strudel
2013-05-26, 06:14 AM
Flimflam grabs the rope and drops down until he can get a better look at the larger room below.

Climb check of [roll0] to not fall to his death, and will burn an action dice if this stuffs up

Strudel
2013-05-26, 06:15 AM
Ffffff action dice of [roll0]

Ghostfoot
2013-05-26, 04:25 PM
You take a few minutes to tie a few knots in Vandill and Thoradin's ropes, and connect the two together so that you can reach the bottom of the shaft.
Only Van & Thor have rope. Two knotted 50ft ropes ties together will get you down the 60ft shaft. Take 20 Use Rope to do this.

Flimflam carefully descends the rope and lights a torch to view the chamber.
DC0 Climb check (for a knotted rope) means you cannot fail at this, so no need to use an Action Point You need to fail by 5 or more to fall. Even Thoradin in his armour will be fine :smallsmile:. It does take a while though - quarter speed for normal climbing means 5ft per round for Flim. It's dark down here. I presume you take a torch from Revell so that you can see?

Dozens of bas-relief figures similar to that on the sarcophagus in the room above stare disapprovingly from the walls in this chamber. Many sport crossed arms and stern expressions. A few of the statues' heads are missing, and some have huge chunks torn from them. Others have a weird melted appearance, as if they have been subject to prolonged exposure to the beetles' acidic secretions. A large glyph, similar to those you found above, marks a short corridor to the north that lead to a four-way intersection. Further north you can see the corridor descending.

You can clearly hear the skittering and chirping sound of many more of those horrible little beetles coming from down the corridor somewhere.

Map:
http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q710/Ghostfoot/Upload18_zps84f53dec.png

NovaZulu
2013-05-26, 09:09 PM
Revell hands the torch to Flimflam and follows him down the rope, excited to see what lies ahead after days spent in the main chamber. Climbing down the rope Revell reviews the stanza's he has composed covering the fight with the bugs, his own brush with death and Vandil's sacrifice. Falling rhythms, disrupted metre and half rhymes bespeak the mounting sense of danger, pain and fear.

'May today bring exploits of triumphant rhythm and glorious rhyme,' he prays quietly to the gods 'lest this poem become a dirge.'

He drops the last few feet to the ground and looks around in the flickering torchlight.

Strudel
2013-05-27, 03:33 AM
You know...I don't know if I want to tangle with those swarms again unless we have fire. A LOT more fire."

NovaZulu
2013-05-28, 10:01 PM
'Agreed Flim' says Revell. 'I've been giving this some thought since our last encounter. Although dangerous the swarms are both slow and stupid. I think we can arm each of our blugeoners with torches, while you carry Molotov cocktails improvised from the flasks of oil we found. Our front line can take a swipe at the swarm then fall back before they are enveloped. That way I think we can get our hits in without fear of reprisal, whitling them down until they are defeated. For my part I believe I have a spell or two with flammable side effects which could be employed to great advantage.

Revell hunts through his bag and pulls out the last two improvised torches. Handing one each to Thoradin and Vandil he disappears back up the rope. Returning some minutes later with the 4 flasks of lamp oil retrieved from above he uses what remains of his tattered shirt to improvise a fuse and hands them to Flimflam.

OOC
Is the grease from a Grease spell flammable? Have seen some posts online that suggest it is but nothing definitive in the RAW that I can find.

Mo_the_Hawked
2013-05-29, 03:17 PM
Thoradin

"Lad between me shield an' hammer exactly where do you suppose i'm going ta carry a torch?" With a slight huff he crams it into his pack, slips his shield on onto his back and sheaths his hammer. He then spits into his hands, rubs them together and gives a short pray to Moradin and takes ahold of the rope and attempts to climb down.

Let's see how badly I can screw up climbing down a DC 0 rope.

[roll0] Climb check.
[roll1] Action Point, cause I think i'll need it.

Ghostfoot
2013-05-29, 05:19 PM
After a bit of huffing and puffing you all descend the rope to the chamber below. You stare with apprehension toward the corridor and the sounds ahead.

Thoradin:
You notice that, notwithstanding it's obvious wear & tear, the finish to the stonework down here is markedly inferior to that seen in the tomb so far. It's still clearly of the same origin, but much less effort has been spent on the "look & feel" compared to basic serviceability.

NovaZulu
2013-05-29, 09:09 PM
Quite right Thoradin, I believe I have a spell which could affix the torch permanently to your head if you prefer,' says Revell with a grin.

'Onward friends, let us see what new discoveries await us!'

Strudel
2013-05-29, 11:25 PM
Flimflam carefully stows away his new explosives and slips ahead of the group, disappearing into the gloom beyond the torchlight.

Sneakytime! Hide of [roll0] and Move Silently of [roll1]

Ghostfoot
2013-05-30, 02:03 AM
Flimflam sneaks up to the branch in the corridor.

To the east you see a large chamber with a wide stone basin backed by a five-foot high shelf. Some sort of orange substance spills out of the basin, and thousands of the iridescent blue beetles skitter and swarm through the substance. You can clearly hear the skittering sound from here. Moving among the beetles, feeding on the orange waste, is a much larger specimen - perhaps 6ft long. It's many legs and it's large pincers click unnervingly as it moves. Acidic spittle seeps from it's carapace.

To the west is a similar sized chamber. It looks like the room contains a number of human-sized stone slabs. What appears to be a body or a corpse lies on one. A reddish stone statue of a powerfully built warrior wielding a greatclub stands upon a platform against the far wall. Another one of the gigantic beetles is slowly moving between the stone slabs.

Map:
http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q710/Ghostfoot/Upload20_zps05c12fe0.png

Ghostfoot
2013-05-30, 03:50 AM
Actually you can move further on with those rolls...
Further down the corridor are a couple of small alcoves. There are a few old pegs for hanging garments set into the alcoves, but nothing else of interest.

At the end of the corridor steps lead down into dark, still water...the corridor is flooded.

laughing_boy
2013-06-01, 07:32 PM
Vandill advances up just behind the gnome, and confers with Flim briefly before quietly taking post on the left hand corridor.

Sneak Van up to the fork and in position to charge the lefthand beetle next action. Say, the square just north of Flim. If I take a few five foot steps while fighting that beetle and the other one advances to eat Rev, I should be in range to charge the other way (40ft ftw)

Move silently [roll0]

NovaZulu
2013-06-01, 07:51 PM
When Flimflam returns to report his findings Revell open his mouth to speak, then closes it and looks thoughtful for a good while.

'The tactical situation is against us ... if we fail to overcome the beetles before they drive us back to this point they will overwhelm us as we attempt to escape up the rope,' Revell whispers.

He pauses again then goes on 'Ideally we would lure these monstrosities into an ambush above, but I have no clear idea on what motivates an acid beetle, that is to say what would we use for bait?' he goes on. He looks around the group his eyes finally finding Whittaker who seems to be hiding behind the dwarf.

A series of recriminating images flash through Revell's mind mixed with a general sense of terror and betrayal. Finally a well formed image of a tiny Gnome tethered to a rope, fleeing the beetles, being over taken and eaten as his body is dragged back up the hole, drawing the army of beetles, who now resemble tiny acid spitting weasels, up to the main chamber.

'Don't be ridiculous Whit, they'd get through the gnome long before we got his corpse back to the top,' he says 'anyone have any practical ideas?'

NovaZulu
2013-06-01, 08:08 PM
'You know perhaps I could lure the creatures with a spell' Revell says thoughtfully 'and you fellows could pull me up, I weigh scarcely more than a gnome. Once I'm out of the way we could rain oil, masonry, even wolf corpses down the hole as the beetles ascend, delaying their progress and wearing them down.'

Noticing Vandil has moved up into an attack position he adds 'Or we could execute a frontal assault and hope for the best I suppose' with a sigh.

laughing_boy
2013-06-01, 08:45 PM
Once the rest of the party has finished preparing their fire and brimstone, and advanced almost to the point of giving away their position, Vandill charges down the hall at the beetle he can see outlined in the chamber at the end.

Hopefully there aren't a lot of friends hiding in the dark, because he's not really one for fighting in the dark - unlike some of his monkish friends back home who would be thrilled at the opportunity.

Charge!
Dont think I can flurry on a charge? So one mighty blow will have to do.
Attack 1 (hand +4, charge +2) [roll0]

Fingers crossed beetles have crap AC, Damage [roll1]

NovaZulu
2013-06-01, 10:27 PM
Revell moves to the rest of the party as quietly as possible, shaking his head and remembering the words of an obscure general from the east regarding the wisdom of fighting in 'the dying ground'.

'Best to save the fire bombs for the swarms' he whispers.

As Vandil charges Revell steps forward and begins speaking an incantation and tracing symbols in the air.

OOC
Assuming Rev has got into line of sight before Vandil's Charge he will cast sleep centred so as to hit the bug and miss Vandil. Finger's crossed the big ones have sufficient intelligence to be effected but either way better to find out now I suppose.

Move silently check if needed [roll0]

Full Round Action: Cast Sleep DC 14 + action point [roll1] if possible. The spell will take effect immediately prior to Rev's turn next round.

No cast of Nerveskitter this fight ... Rev is happy to be down the initiative order a little :D

Ghostfoot
2013-06-01, 11:08 PM
You have time to buff or otherwise prepare first, if you wish.
As Revell and Thoradin move up the beetles start to stir. The torchlight coupled with the noise of an armoured dwarf has clearly alerted them.
No surprise round for Rev & Thor.

Vandill charges into the shadowy chamber to strike at the gigantic beetle's armoured carapace. Crunch, crunch. His blows strike against it's body as it turns it's fearsome mandibles toward him.
1 AP spend to hit (+6 roll) 20% miss chance anyway in this light [roll0].
He also feels a strange wave of supernatural fatigue wash over him as he charges forward. Will save vs DC 15 [roll1]. Van is fatigued: -2 Str, -2 Dex; can't run or charge. Again you can use an AP.

Flimflam - surprise round action: tbc

Initiative:
{table=head]Initiative Chart
{table=head]Character | Initiative
Giant Beetle 2 | [roll5]
Acid Beetle Swarm | [roll6]
Vandill | [roll4]
Giant Beetle 1 (Van) | [roll2]
Flimflam | [roll3]
Revell | [roll7] (intending to start casting)
Thoradin | [roll8]
[/table]
[/table]

=> Flimflam> Beetle 2> Swarm> Vandill> Beetle 1> Flim> Rev> Thoradin

Strudel
2013-06-02, 02:30 AM
Flimflam takes a couple of steps forward and shoots a crossbow bolt from the shadows.

Five foot step forward so the beetle is within 30ft, and shoot that sucker with this stupid crossbow.

Attack roll of [roll0] and damage of [roll1] plus sneak attack of [roll2]

If I fail my roll by a little bit and am in danger of hitting Vandill, I will use an action point of [roll3] to improve my roll.

Given I have low light vision I am not taking any light penalties into account

E: Actually, an 11 from the shadows as a surprise attack might just hit!

NovaZulu
2013-06-02, 03:03 AM
Seeing the shape of the battle changing around him Revell quickly changes targets, casting instead at the large beetle approaching from behind.

Ghostfoot
2013-06-02, 03:11 AM
Flimflam's crossbow bolt bounces harmlessly off the creatures armoured shell.
Don't worry about using the AP. You never had a chance to hit.
Re firing into melee: You have no chance to hit an ally, but you take a -4 penalty to your attack roll. Given Flim & Van have the same initiative modifier you could synchronize and avoid this, but it will make no difference to this attack anyway.

From the east, the other giant beetle lurches forward, followed by the scuttling horde of smaller beetles. Fffssssssssshhhhttttt!!! It sprays caustic acid from it's abdomen toward Thoradin. It burns where it touches his exposed skin.
Thoradin Fort save vs DC 13 [roll0]
Acid damage: [roll1] It burns!

Map:
http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q710/Ghostfoot/Upload21_zps397dd5de.png

=> Vandill> Beetle 1> Flim> Rev> Thoradin>Beetle 2> Swarm

laughing_boy
2013-06-02, 04:48 AM
'Ahhhh bollocks, I wish we'd had a little more time before the other one charged'.

Vandill doubles his efforts to dispatch this beetle, shaking off the dizziness that its foul aura brings on.

Flurry of blows! weee! minus one strength for the stench as well :/

Attack 1 (Atk 4 -2 flurry -1 str loss) [roll0]
Damage 1 [roll1]

Attack 2 (Atk 4 -2 flurry -1 str loss) [roll2]
Damage 1 [roll3]

...Or I could completely miss the beetle. Ah well, we were bound to die sooner or later.

Ghostfoot
2013-06-02, 05:00 AM
Fffsshhhttt! The beetle in front of Van sprays acid, but he nimbly dodges.
Fort save vs dc13 [roll0] Dodge!
Damage if failed [roll1]
& to be clear, the fatigue effect is nothing to do with the beetles

> Flim>Rev>Thoradin

laughing_boy
2013-06-02, 05:52 AM
Well if Van wants to think it's the beetle making him feel queasy, I'm not going to stand in his way. His fault for using int as a dump stat.

Strudel
2013-06-02, 05:52 AM
Flimflam scowls at the crossbow for the fiftieth time and, holding it in one hand, fires a Magic Missile at the beetle attacking Van.

[roll0]

Ghostfoot
2013-06-02, 06:11 PM
Zap! Flim's magical bolts of energy strike home against the beetle. It angrily waves its antennae and gnashes it's mandibles.

=> Rev > Thoradin

NovaZulu
2013-06-02, 08:24 PM
As Revell spins to face the oncoming bugs he is shocked by how close they are already. Remembering his last encounter with the swarm he abandons any plan which involves standing still and opts for a quicker spell.

He utters a brief magic phrase and rubs his fingers together before throwing his hand toward the oncoming swarm. Even before the spell has taken effect he races round the corner, retreating away from the swarm.

He calls to his companions as he does so The swarm is upon us, make ready with your fire.

OOC
That swarm is much closer than Rev expected.

Standard Action: Cast Grease DC 14, centred NE corner Y14 10' square, should get the large beetle and the swarm I think.
Move Action: to X8 (Y12, X11, X10, X9, X8)

EDIT: => Thoradin

Ghostfoot
2013-06-02, 08:48 PM
The stone under the beetles is covered in a greasy slick.
Giant beetle: Save vs dc 14 1d20
Swarm: Save vs dc 14 1d20+3
The monstrous creature in front of Thoradin falls prone. The swarm, although incapable of falling prone, is effectively hampered by the grease (delayed for a round as if it were prone).

=>Thoradin>Beetle 2 (Thor)>Swarm>Vandill>Beetle 1 (Van)>Flimflam>Rev

Ghostfoot
2013-06-02, 08:51 PM
[roll1d20+3

Stupid phone

Ghostfoot
2013-06-02, 08:53 PM
[roll0]

3rd time lucky

Sheesh. A cliffhanger!

Mo_the_Hawked
2013-06-02, 10:07 PM
Thoradin

Shuddering more from the thought of the swarm than from acid burning him. Thoradin attempts to strike the beetle.

[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Action Point, #5 I believe I can use all the help I can get!
[roll2] Damage

OOCOops, didn't read that the Grease worked, So I guess the action point isn't quite so necessary, or running away like a little girl either.

Ghostfoot
2013-06-03, 05:03 AM
Smack! Thoradin brings his hammer down on the exposed underside of the beetle as it scrabbles to stand up.
Smack! He hits it again. It rolls onto it's back and twitches in it's death throes.
The giant beetle attempts to stand.
Thoradin: Attack of Opportunity [roll0](+4 prone)
plus Action Point? [roll1] (AP not needed, nor for the previous hit)
Damage: [roll2]
Beetle: Balance vs DC10 check to stand up[roll3]
Beetle: Reflex save vs DC14 check to avoid falling again[roll4]
The swarm is hindered by the grease and cannot advance this round.

Map:
http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q710/Ghostfoot/Upload22_zps5054c699.png

=>Vandill>Beetle 1 (Van)>Flimflam>Rev>Thoradin>Swarm

Ghostfoot
2013-06-03, 05:09 AM
Rev also feels a strange wave of supernatural fatigue wash over him as he moves into the western chamber. Will save vs DC 15 [roll0]. Rev is also fatigued: -2 Str, -2 Dex; can't run or charge. It also makes you encumbered now, given your Str. Again you can use an AP to avoid if you wish.

laughing_boy
2013-06-03, 04:30 PM
Vandill takes a deep breath and tries to hit the wily beetle again, trying his hardest not to consider colloquial definitions of insanity.

Flurry for a -2, -1 from Str drain, base attack of +4

Attack 1 [roll0]
Damage 1 [roll1]

Attack 2 [roll2]
Damage 2 [roll3]

ETA: oh ffs.

Ghostfoot
2013-06-03, 04:53 PM
The angry beetle is uninjured as Vandill strikes against it's carapace. Fffsshhhttt! It sprays acid towards him again, as he dodges aside.
Van: Fort save vs dc13 [roll0] + AP 4
Damage if failed [roll1]
=>Flimflam>Rev>Thoradin>Swarm>Vandill>Beetle 1

Strudel
2013-06-05, 02:56 AM
Flimflam takes the bomb off his belt and advances, throwing it at the beetle swarm as it struggles through the greasy mess.

Advance to X13, throw the cocktail into the square of X15 with what I assume is a ranged attack? I know there's weird rules for throwing things..maybe it's strength?

If it's ranged - [roll0]
If it's strength - [roll1]

I have no idea how much damage this will do, so will let our esteemed DM roll it

Strudel
2013-06-05, 02:58 AM
Action dice because I want to hit something god damnit [roll0]

Ghostfoot
2013-06-05, 06:39 AM
Flimflam frantically works at his flint & steel, trying to get a spark to catch. Finally! After what seems like an age he manages to light the makeshift fuse.

Ignoring the giant beetle behind him, Flimflam moves right up close to the swarm of smaller beetles and throws the homemade bomb.

Clink! The flask bursts in the midst of them...will it catch? Whoosh! It catches alight. The beetles scurry to avoid the flames.

Flim has no flint & steel! Cross off 1gp and pretend you bought one earlier, otherwise this whole sequence is messed up as you have no way to light the oil.
The oil bursts in square X15 and sets this alight for 2 rounds (50% chance to catch, you were lucky). The greased area is also set alight, but only until it expires (on Rev's turn, which is next). 1d3 damage to anyone entering any of these squares.
Yes, that definitely costs an AP to get through all of those actions.

Fire damage to Swarm: [roll0] +50% vs swarm =4
=>Rev>Thoradin>Swarm>Vandill>Beetle 1>Flimflam

NovaZulu
2013-06-05, 11:09 AM
Revell sags momentarily, the weight of his gear bearing down on him intolerably. Seeing the pyromaniac Gnome move with impossible alacrity stirs him from his stupor and with a shake of his head to clear the sudden weariness he straightens. Taking a few swift steeps toward the swarm he again speaks the now familiar words and rolls his fingers, resolved to keep the bugs in the fire for as long as possible.

'Capital effort Flim' he calls, 'I feel sure you could earn a substantial income as an arsonist.'

OOC
Use an action point to make the will save vs fatigue [roll0]
Move action: Move to X10 (10ft, X9,X10)
Standard Action: Cast Grease DC14, 10 foot square centered SE corner of X15
Damage for last rounds burning Grease [roll1], ignore if you have already rolled for this Ghost
Damage roll for the Grease just cast [roll2]

Some of the spell area is outside the aoe of the oil so not sure whether that provokes a slip save/reduced movement on the swarm or not.

Fingers crossed that 20 ft is in fact the land speed of the swarm else this could get messy.

Mo_the_Hawked
2013-06-05, 11:36 AM
Thoradin

Thoradin wanting nothing to do with the burning swarm, charges the remaining large beetle.

Charging to Y6, attacking beetle at X5.
[roll0]
[roll1]

laughing_boy
2013-06-05, 04:44 PM
Vandill slows down and aims carefully for a vulnerable area between the heavy plates of chitin, hoping to connect with something vital.

Unarmed +4, -1 Atk/Dmg from Str drain (do I get a new save attempt any time?)

Attack 1 [roll0]
Damage 1 [roll1]

ETA: $%!@ this untouchable beetle.

Ghostfoot
2013-06-05, 08:05 PM
Rev fights off the fatigue and conjures another greasy slick to coat the flagstones under the beetle swarm. Some parts of it catch alight, enough to drive the swarm back into the chamber that it came from.

X15, Y15, Y16 are all alight. X16 is greased.
Swarm retreats 2 squares, taking damage as it moves through the flames.
Fire damage to Swarm: [roll0] +50% vs swarm =4

From out of nowhere the bug-squashing dwarf hurtles toward the remaining gigantic scuttling foe. He feels a wave of fatigue assault him as he enters the room. Split!Splat!Splick! He fights through the fatigue and makes short work of the beetle.
Will save vs DC 15 [roll1]. Thoradin is also fatigued: -2 Str, -2 Dex; can't run or charge.

Map:
http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q710/Ghostfoot/Upload23_zps34e669a2.pngSorry for the dodgy flame/ grease effects.

=>Vandill>Flimflam>Rev>Thoradin>Swarm
No, no further saves vs the fatigue effect for Van. He does get to re-take his turn, since the giant beetle is no longer up.

laughing_boy
2013-06-06, 03:34 AM
could have sworn the beetle i was fighting was untouched and thoradin was killing the other one. Oh well.

Vandill looks around the chamber for the source of the evil aura, figuring it's probably something spikey and gross glowing with a pale green light or something.

Search [roll0]

Ghostfoot
2013-06-06, 05:13 AM
yeah Van hit this one on his first charge then FF hit it with magic missile.
Thoradin finished it off.
Van quickly casts an eye around the room, looking for the source of the strange weariness.

The room itself appears unremarkable. It has the same 20ft high ceiling that the rest of this level does. The stone slabs don't bear any unusual markings, nor does the large statue with the greatclub.

The corpse on the stone slab appears to be long-dead. It's head is completely crushed. It wears old leather armour, dyed red with an eight-pointed star symbol stitched to it's left breast. On it's finger is a tarnished silver ring, and tucked into it's old belt is what appears to be a rosewood wand.

Strudel
2013-06-06, 06:38 AM
Flimflam crouches nervously, facing the burning mass of frantic insects on his own. He takes the second of Revell's improvised bombs and throws it into the burning mess.

Again I'm not sure if that's a roll so [roll0] if it's ranged and [roll1] if it's strength based - he's aiming for Y16 so it spreads further down the corridor and into the retreating mass of bugs. I'm not bothering to light it beforehand since I'm counting on the fire already in the sphere to explode the second flask

Ghostfoot
2013-06-06, 04:45 PM
Swoosh! The remaining scuttlers go up in smoke. There don't appear to be any immediate threats...

NovaZulu
2013-06-06, 11:03 PM
'Well done chaps,' exclaims Revell between coughs 'we are surprisingly effective when we work together. Perhaps we may yet survive this adventure.'

Revell looks around still beaming, barely noticing as Whittaker emerges from a crook in the wall to scurry up onto his shoulder. He examines the statue and the symbol on the corpses armour, careful not to touch anything. Feeling the crushing weight of despair still scratching at the corners of his mind he looks around for the source, mindful it may emanate from some lurking danger.

OOC

Knowledge Arcana: [roll0]
Knowledge History: [roll1]
Knowledge Local (Waterdeep): [roll2]
Knowledge Religion: [roll3]
Spellcraft: [roll4]
Search: [roll5]
Spot: [roll6]

Ghostfoot
2013-06-06, 11:26 PM
Rev again feels the wave of supernatural fatigue wash over him as he enters the chamber. Will save vs DC 15 [roll0]

Examining the eight-pointed star symbol on the corpses' old armour, Rev recognises this as the mark of the Seekers. The Seekers are a very minor sect of unscrupulous tomb hunters within the Church of Oghma. They have operated out of The Font of Knowledge (the temple to Oghma in Waterdeep) for many years. They seek to "liberate knowledge" by any means necessary, and often to their own personal benefit.

More on Oghma:Oghma, the Lord of Knowledge, Binder of What is Known, is a neutral-aligned greater deity. His portfolio includes bards, inspiration, invention and knowledge. He is frequently worshipped by artists, bards, cartographers, inventors, loremasters, sages, scholars, scribes and wizards.

Of the nature of the statue he is less certain. It is of a similar style to the design in the rest of the tomb, again reminiscent of ancient Calimshan. Perhaps there are some slight allusions to watchfulness or guardianship over sleepers...it could be that this chamber served some manner of sleeping or rest function.

Thoradin, you can see that the statue is free-standing and probably weighs around 200 pounds. It is made of red terracotta, which is unusual around here although more common in southern lands.

Strudel
2013-06-07, 03:13 AM
Waving his hands in the air to disperse the last remaining bugs, Flimflam straightens his jacket, picks up his useless crossbow and heads towards the group. Just before he enters the chamber where everyone else is standing he pauses to mutters a quick few words under his breath and sends out a magical pulse to check for the source of the aura of weakness.

Detect Magic! Fwooomph!

Ghostfoot
2013-06-07, 03:34 AM
Flim scans the room with his arcane powers, looking for any hint of the origin of the debilitating effect - or any other magic that happens to be lying about!
Round 1 - you confirm magic is present (duh!)

Round 2 - there are 3 auras present within your scan of this room. The strongest aura is moderate.

Round 3 - the auras are as follows:

The statue. Strength: Moderate. Spellcraft check to determine school of magic: [roll0] Transmutation
The wand. Strength: Faint. Spellcraft [roll1] Conjuration
A general aura within the room itself. Strength: Faint. Spellcraft [roll2] Necromancy

Strudel
2013-06-07, 06:25 AM
Flimflam relays the above information to the group.

"If I was to hazard the guess, I suspect that big statue is a guardian; and judging by the look of that greatclub and the size of the dent in that unfortunate fellow's head I rather think he triggered the command to wake it up. Be careful - we don't know what set it off"

Looking back to make sure the rope is still secured for a potentially hasty exit, Flimflam steels himself and enters the room. When he is 25ft away from the slab he casts Mage Hand to delicately manoeuvre the wand out of the dead man's belt and back to his hand without touching the slab or anything else.

Ghostfoot
2013-06-07, 07:49 PM
Flimflam utters the words of the cantrip that master Ondabar taught him. The wand slips free of the belt and he coaxes it unsteadily toward him.

He grasps it and looks at the strange markings carved into it - just like he's seen for sale at one of those Thayan magic emporiums that are always popping up! The markings seem to indicate it's function quite clearly to anyone with knowledge of the arcane.
It is a Wand of Benign Transposition (http://dndtools.eu/spells/miniatures-handbook--75/benign-transposition--1949/) with 10 charges remaining.

NovaZulu
2013-06-09, 02:36 AM
Revell sags again under the intolerable weight of his satchel.

'This whole room is sinister in the extreme,' he announces.

'I thought initially the fatigue effect was intended to be a soporific, a localized effect not unlike the herbal remedies so favored by Waterdeep's young mothers. But such an intent would have been much better served by an enchantment. I mean necromancy? I feel weakened and exhausted but not sleepy in the slightest.

And who could possibly need giant animated statue body guard this deep into a crypt, on a secret level triggered by rotating a sarcophagus! And if you thought you may need a body guard would you establish the field of battle so as to weaken yourself as much as your attacker?

This smacks to me of dark purpose indeed. Horrific experiments carried out on unwilling participants, weather alive or dead I dare not speculate.'

'And who, might we inquire, put that corpse on that slab?!'

He turns and struggles out of the chamber and heads to the other end of the corridor to investigate the other chamber and the orange liquid the bugs seemed to be feeding on.

Ghostfoot
2013-06-09, 05:15 AM
The instant that Revell leaves the room the burden of weariness leaves him.

He pokes his head into the other room. There is some sort of orange paste slowly dripping out of a faucet in the eastern chamber. It has overflowed from the basin and covers half of the room in a slick. The beetles have clearly been feeding on this.

In the southwest corner is a large hive that seems to have been built out of the dried paste. A few beetles skitter around, but nothing constituting a swarm.

The southeast corner, mostly obscured by the paste, Rev sees three suspiciously corpse-like shapes.

NovaZulu
2013-06-11, 06:54 AM
Hesitating for the briefest moment remembering what happened with the sarcophagus Revell soon resolves to investigate carefully. Picking his way around the goo so as to minimally soil his attire he carefully approaches the paste hive and the bodies beyond.

He gives the hive a poke with his toe to ensure no swarm lies ensconced within then gets on with examining the bodies for anything of interest.

OOC

Search [roll0]

Strudel
2013-06-12, 02:31 AM
Following Revell, Flimflam enters the second room and wrinkles his nose at the bodies in the corner before gingerly investigating the area.

Search [roll0]

Ghostfoot
2013-06-12, 07:54 PM
Rev gingerly steps across the spill to the hive and gives it a tentative nudge with his boot. Crunch! The whole environment is much less robust than he first thought, with a consistency of paper-mache. Rev overbalances and his foot sinks deep into the nest. Aghast at the thought of having his limb digested before his very eyes, he hops frantically backwards. A lone tiny beetle scurries quickly away. The hive is devoid of any meaningful threat. Certainly there are not thousands of swarming flesh-eating insects remaining. Somewhat relieved he moves over to the bodies slumped in the corner.

The three bodies look quite old to you. The are covered in orange paste where this has spilled over them. There is little left of them - the beetles have presumably devoured or dissolved most of their mass, leaving little more than skeletal remains. Tattered fragments of red-dyed leather armour, identical to that of the tomb robber in the previous room, cling to the bones where the beetles have not fully destroyed the scraps.

A number of interesting items catch his eye as he looks over the deceased:

Three small metal flasks clipped to a tattered belt. Each bears an mark identifying it as a healing draught. Potions of cure light wounds
A large, dull red crystal that seems to pulse faintly is affixed to the remains of one of the leather harnesses. Arcane markings identify this as a least crystal of stamina. As a standard action it can be affixed or removed from any masterwork or magical armour. It provides the wearer with a +1 competence bonus on all saves vs poison and disease.
A finely crafted silver shortsword with a sky-blue crystal attached to it's hilt. Masterwork weapon. Arcane markings identify the crystal as a least crystal of return. As a standard action it can be affixed or removed from any masterwork or magical weapon. The weapon can be drawn as a free action while the crystal is attached.
Another clear crystal hangs on a chain around one of the skeleton's necks. It contains a few drops of viscous green liquid.
Two of the bodies have identical porcelain pins on them. The small porcelain pins are shaped like outstretched wings with a green stone set in the middle.
Two finely crafted silver daggers. Masterwork weapons.

All of the items, except the weapons, look to be of Thayan origin and presumably come from one of their trade enclaves.

Shortly afterward Flimflam joins him in the room, leaving the other two in the darkened chamber discussing the pros and cons of various combat techniques vs giant insectoids.

Flim steps over to the overflowing basin. The orange paste is slowly dripping out of a faucet set into it. Sniff, sniff. Flimflam senses a hunger and rumbling belly from little Chesdale.

Wait! From the corner of his eye Flim spots a soft light coming from the foot-sized hole in the hive. He carefully steps over and looks inside. A skeletal hand clutches an old perished pouch. From within the pouch comes a hint of light. He carefully extracts the disintegrating pouch and extracts a handful of ceramic beads (eight in total). A soft light spills from tiny cracks that spiderweb each bead.

Mo_the_Hawked
2013-06-12, 10:39 PM
Thoradin

With the dirty beetles squashed Thoradin is eager to leave the uncomfortable alcove. Not wanting to alert any potential enemies he attempts sneak out the main hall way. Once there he proceeds to wipe down his armor and warhammer.

Move Silently Check for fun!
[roll0]

Strudel
2013-06-14, 12:49 AM
Flimflam jolts in surprise as Thoradin abruptly clangs down the hall, nearly dropping the pouch of beads as he moves to pocket them.

"Well, if you big 'uns are coming down here you may as well help carry things" he says cheerfully as he starts distributing the more valuable contents of the room across the party. Upon picking up the shortsword, he gives it an experimental swish through the air, but overbalances and nearly tumbles over due to the sheer weight of it. He takes a stab at the air with one of the daggers instead, and finding it more to his liking he tucks it away in his belt.

Sing out to claim loot!

Strudel
2013-06-14, 09:17 PM
While we're at it - Alchemy roll to try and identify the green goo [roll0]

NovaZulu
2013-06-14, 09:51 PM
Seeing items rapidly disappearing into Flimflam's pocket Revell quickly mumbles the words of a minor incantation to determine if anything is of magical interest.

'As much as I hope to avoid it there may come a day when I must put one of those daggers to use ... and it seems to me likely I may have need of one of those potion before our time in this cairn is over,' says Revell.

OOC
cast Detect Magic

Sliver dagger and a heal pot for Rev please. Possibly one of the pins if they are magical/suited to a caster.

Assuming we will just hold on to all the jewellery etc and sell it back in town to divide up after?

Ghostfoot
2013-06-14, 10:09 PM
Rev mumbles the detect magic incantation.
Round 1 - you confirm magic is present.

Round 2 - there are sixteen auras present within your scan of these items (!). The strongest aura is moderate.

Round 3 - the auras are as follows:

The three potions of cure light wounds. Strength: Faint. Spellcraft check to determine school of magic: [roll0] Unknown. Weight: 1 ounce each (=1/16 pounds)
The least crystal of stamina. Strength: Moderate. Spellcraft [roll1] Conjuration. Weight: 0.
The least crystal of return. Strength: Faint. Spellcraft [roll2] Unknown. Weight: 0.
The necklace with the crystal-enclosed droplets. Strength: Faint. Spellcraft [roll3] Unknown. Body Slot: Throat. Weight: 0.
The two porcelain pins. Strength: Faint. Spellcraft [roll4] Transmutation. Body Slot: Throat. Weight: 0.
The eight ceramic beads. Strength: Faint. Spellcraft 17 Evocation. Weight: 0.

Flim takes a close look at the green droplets in the crystal, but he's not sure what the substance is.

laughing_boy
2013-06-15, 04:37 AM
Did we figure out what the porcelain pins are? I'm going to guess +1 to something like natural armour or a save, so I guess I'll go for one of those if I may.

NovaZulu
2013-06-18, 04:41 AM
Revel, feeling as if he's been staring at the treasures for days, takes one last look around the room and heads onward. Scaling the rope back up to the main chamber he wonders again at the likely location of that last lamp.

'Stands to reason there are sub-chambers below each of the lifts, but I have no idea how to get our entire number down failing further catastrophic structural collapse,' he calls back to his companions.

'Perhaps a delegation of two to explore below and determine if there is a way to trigger the lift from below, with 2 remaining above to rotate the sarcophagus. It seems to me the Dwarf and the Gnome are most likely to spot any hidden mechanism. I confess I am not much in the pushing department but Whit and I will keep a careful watch above.'

Revell adopts an alert and watchful pose, the very model of the attentive watchman; his mind meanwhile remains occupied by the strange mysteries of the cairn, mysteries which have only deepened since the source of the whispering was determined.

laughing_boy
2013-06-18, 04:50 AM
'Split the party? A fine plan! Up there with opening strange tombs deep under the earth I reckon. I'll start weaving a wreath from some of this moss while we wait.'

The snarky monk squats on his haunches near the wizard, keeping a token eye on the surroundings while he waits for the sounds of dying short people.

Strudel
2013-06-22, 10:35 PM
Flimflam ducks into the shadows of the middle corridor and quietly tiptoes down it, looking for anything of interest.

Hide [roll0] and Move Silently [roll1]

Ghostfoot
2013-06-23, 07:04 PM
As the big folk make their way back up the rope, Flimflam casts his eyes about. Could there be anything else of interest down here? It would be such a shame to leave without having a proper look.

He makes his way along the corridor toward the top of the submerged stairs, his footsteps covered by the clanging of the dwarf fussing with his weaponry. The alcoves either side look long abandoned, and have as defining features only a few pegs for hanging garments. The stairs descend into the flooded tunnel. He can't see clearly into the water...the light is fading as the party's sole light source is taken to the chamber above. The water looks dark, and still. The air feels cold and damp as one would expect underground. Was that a ripple?

Darkness.

You hear a soft splish.

Strudel
2013-06-23, 08:36 PM
Flimflam casts a look back at Thoradin's somewhat reassuring presence at the end of the corridor, and throws a pebble into the water in an experimental fashion. Wouldn't it be odd if there were fish down here? Only a man of magical science can solve this mystery!