PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXV

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

LibraryOgre
2013-12-07, 05:04 PM
(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written). This thread is for all simple RAW questions about D&D 3.5. If your question is not about the RAW for 3.5, please look in the appropriate threads in the appropriate forums.

The Procedure:

Do:
Label your questions with bold Q#s.
Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
Answer a question that’s already been answered.
Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
Post to debate the answers given.
Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
What +2 LA race should I take for my sorcerer build? (Again, an opinion question)
Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
Q.1. Are there any Large +0 LA races?
Q.2. As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
Q.3. What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?

Please start over with the numbering. When this one reached 50 pages, please report it so that we can start a new one. Thanks.

St Fan
2013-12-07, 05:45 PM
Q001
Wait, I'm the first to post on this brand-new thread? Sweet.

Okay, here it goes: the Nature's Warrior prestige classe from Complete Warrior gives "a druid spellcasting level" at level 2 if the character has no level in any divine spellcasting class beforehand, but no other benefit.

Is the spontaneous casting ability of a druid considered to be part of the spellcasting, or a separate ability, and thus can a Nature's Warrior get it too?

Dude_Here
2013-12-07, 06:05 PM
Q002

Can two characters exchange places simultaneously with 5 foot step if there initiative order is the same and take actions after the move?

Curmudgeon
2013-12-07, 07:22 PM
A 002 No.

D&D doesn't have simultaneous moves. Even with equal initiative, character turns are serialized, first in order of initiative modifier, then if that's also the same by order of d20 rolls. Unless both characters are Tiny or smaller, or differ in size by at least three steps, they cannot share the same square.
Ending Your Movement
You can’t end your movement in the same square as another creature unless it is helpless.

Fax Celestis
2013-12-07, 08:24 PM
A1 The Spontaneous Conversion ability is a separate ability from the main Spells feature. As such it should not be given by Nature's Warrior.

Spells

A druid casts divine spells, which are drawn from the druid spell list. Her alignment may restrict her from casting certain spells opposed to her moral or ethical beliefs; see Chaotic, Evil, Good, and Lawful Spells, below. A druid must choose and prepare her spells in advance (see below).

To prepare or cast a spell, the druid must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a druid’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the druid’s Wisdom modifier.

Like other spellcasters, a druid can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. Her base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Druid. In addition, she receives bonus spells per day if she has a high Wisdom score. She does not have access to any domain spells or granted powers, as a cleric does.

A druid prepares and casts spells the way a cleric does, though she cannot lose a prepared spell to cast a cure spell in its place (but see Spontaneous Casting, below). A druid may prepare and cast any spell on the druid spell list, provided that she can cast spells of that level, but she must choose which spells to prepare during her daily meditation.

Spontaneous Casting

A druid can channel stored spell energy into summoning spells that she hasn’t prepared ahead of time. She can "lose" a prepared spell in order to cast any summon nature’s ally spell of the same level or lower.

unseenmage
2013-12-07, 08:36 PM
A couple of Qs that I'm still struggling with...

Q3

Is Ambrosia (BoED37) a potion?
A magic item at all?

Or does it fall into that strange place that Quintessence does where it's no more magic than a Wall of Stone's wall after it's made?

Curmudgeon already answered it (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16519987&postcount=2241). Thank you again and again my apologies for missing it the first time Curmudgeon.

Q4

I'm curious about the timing for Contingent Spells in regards to a couple of Construct rules.

a) Could Contingent Greater Teleport or Temporal Stasis affect a Golem before it goes Berserk?

b) Could a Contingent Greater Teleport (into Quintessence) or Temporal Stasis save a Homunculus from dieing when it's creator dies?

Q5

Is there a RAW means to put the Psionic Power Quintessence into a Spellsong Nightingale as one of its spell abilities?

Q6

Can Metamagic-ed spells be placed into the Spellsong Nightingale Construct by its creator at the time of its creation?

Q7

Because the S. Nightingale "casts the spell" if it were awakened could it make use of Metamagic feats of it's own?

Curmudgeon
2013-12-07, 08:54 PM
A 003

I already answered this in the last thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16519987&postcount=2241). Repeated:

Ambrosia is magical; it's the result, of Permanent duration, of the Distilled Joy spell (Book of Exalted Deeds, page 96). As a magical substance it can be both detected and dispelled. Ambrosia's use as a potion is detailed in the spell description.

unseenmage
2013-12-07, 09:06 PM
A 003

I already answered this in the last thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16519987&postcount=2241). Repeated:

Ambrosia is magical; it's the result, of Permanent duration, of the Distilled Joy spell (Book of Exalted Deeds, page 96). As a magical substance it can be both detected and dispelled. Ambrosia's use as a potion is detailed in the spell description.

I completely missed that. You have my sincerest apologies for repeating the question. Thank you for the answer.

Chronos
2013-12-07, 10:47 PM
Q 008:
If a druid's spontaneous summoning is a separate class feature from her spellcasting, does that imply that a druid who multiclasses into some other spellcasting class (wizard, say) could also convert wizard spells into Summon Nature's Ally? If so, would such converted SNA spells be arcane or divine?

Tim Proctor
2013-12-08, 12:19 AM
Q009

If a character exclusively had levels in cleric before exchanging their levels for Defiant (PlH) levels, could they trade out all of their levels? For example, could a 9th level cleric take her first level of Defiant, immediately switch out her cleric levels, and become a 10th level Defiant (no base class)?

Gistireyn
2013-12-08, 12:56 AM
Q010

If a character with the ability to sneak attack was swallowed by another creature, would it be able to apply its sneak attack bonus to attacks made against the creature from inside. IE: Tarrasque used swallow whole and player is making damage roll to cut itself out?

Not sure where the line between unable to defend yet knowing where you are is drawn.

Q011

Is there a chart for how long it takes for certain constructions, buildings/walls/castles to occur in man hours, I found costs in an urban adventures article, but it never mentions time?

Tim Proctor
2013-12-08, 02:12 AM
Q012

How would the feats Rapidstrike (claws) and Improved Rapidstrike (claws) affect something with the Rake Special Attack?

Curmudgeon
2013-12-08, 02:22 AM
A 008 No.
Spontaneous Casting

A druid can channel stored spell energy into summoning spells that she hasn’t prepared ahead of time. She can "lose" a prepared spell in order to cast any summon nature’s ally spell of the same level or lower. What is the Wizard level of any Summon Nature's Ally spell? Answer: 8th. Of course, this answer is only correct if the Wizard has the Arcane Disciple (Complete Divine) feat and the Animal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/clericDomains.htm#animalDomain) domain; otherwise, there is no overlap between Wizard spells and any Summon Nature's Ally spell, so the (usual) answer is "—".

A spell's level is always a function of the class which can cast it. As an example, the Control Water (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/controlWater.htm) spell is 4th level if you're a Druid, but 6th level if you're a Wizard. You can only do the "of the same level or lower" arithmetic if you have a number, rather than "—", for the level of the Summon Nature's Ally spell.

If the Wizard/Druid had the Arcane Disciple feat and the Animal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/clericDomains.htm#animalDomain) domain, then they could lose an 8th level or higher prepared Wizard spell to spontaneously cast Summon Nature's Ally VIII. This would be an arcane spell. The Wizard/Druid would be limited to one casting (prepared or spontaneous) of this spell daily.

Sith_Happens
2013-12-08, 05:59 AM
Q 13

Is there a grid-scale given anywhere for the weapon artwork in Chapter 7 of the Player's Handbook (e.g.- page 115)?

Q 14

How does the movement speed increase from the Dark Creature template interact with template-granted fly speeds that are calculated as multiples of the base creature's land speed?

Curmudgeon
2013-12-08, 06:12 AM
A 013 No.

A 014

You determine the template-based changes to speed based on the order in which the templates are acquired. That is, if you first obtain a fly speed which is a multiple of land speed, you would later add +10' (not multiplied) to each of those speeds from the Dark Creature template. If the order were reversed you would increase land speed by 10' when you had no fly speed, and when you later gained a fly speed which was a multiple of land speed you would get that multiple applied to the improved land speed.

Sith_Happens
2013-12-08, 06:45 AM
A 014

You determine the template-based changes to speed based on the order in which the templates are acquired. That is, if you first obtain a fly speed which is a multiple of land speed, you would later add +10' (not multiplied) to each of those speeds from the Dark Creature template. If the order were reversed you would increase land speed by 10' when you had no fly speed, and when you later gained a fly speed which was a multiple of land speed you would get that multiple applied to the improved land speed.

Q 15

How do you determine the order in which to apply multiple inherited templates?

Jormengand
2013-12-08, 06:52 AM
A 15 Any order in which it is possible to apply them.

Q 16 What happens if an undead (or construct?) creature becomes a dragon apotheosis (Dragon Disciple 10) and therefore tries to "Take on the Half-dragon template," when they aren't a living creature and so cannot gain it?

Curmudgeon
2013-12-08, 07:09 AM
A 016

The Dragon Apotheosis happens as stated. No creature, living or otherwise, can normally become a Half-Dragon after character creation (birth); it's an inherited-only template. However, the Dragon Disciple class makes explicit overrides of those normal rules. Thus, the character's type becomes Dragon, irrespective of any fatal consequences.

danzibr
2013-12-08, 08:06 AM
Q 17

Consider the text

If you use a weapon in one hand, [...]

Suppose one of your hands is actually a claw, and you can make claw attacks with it. If you elect to attack with your claw, does [...] still follow? I'm basically asking that in the case your hand *is* a weapon, does it count as being a weapon in your hand?

Curmudgeon
2013-12-08, 08:21 AM
A 017 No.

Your hand is not in (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/in) (enclosed, within) your hand.

SillySymphonies
2013-12-08, 09:17 AM
Q 18 Do the effects of Improved Turning and the phylactery of undead turning stack? I'm asking because of the specific wording:

You turn or rebuke creatures as if you were one level higher than you are in the class that grants you the ability.

This item is a boon to any character able to turn undead, allowing him to do so as if his class level were four levels higher than it actually is.
Similar wording specifically disallowed for stacking powerful build and Monkey Grip, hence my question.

Q 19 How fast does a dwarf in heavy armor run? I'm asking because:

Dwarf base land speed is 20 feet. However, dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).
When running in heavy armor, you move only triple your speed, not quadruple.
The dwarf ability specifically mentions base speed (and not running), which led me to believe a dwarf in heavy armor moves only triple its speed (60 ft.). Is this correct?

Treme
2013-12-08, 10:16 AM
Q20

If playing as a Centaur - am i classified as being mounted for the purposes of feats such as Ride By Attack, Spirited Charge (and thus mounted combat which is a prerequesite)?

To clarify, the SRD mentions:
A centaur employing a lance deals double damage when it charges, just as a rider on a mount does.

I'm looking for some RAW somewhere that goes into Centaur's in a bit more details really if anyone knows it exists?

killem2
2013-12-08, 11:21 AM
Q 21: Can you create an energy bow out of any bow? (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a) I have a friend who wants to know if his footbow can be made into one.

Fitz10019
2013-12-08, 11:34 AM
Q22
If you have a short sword in one hand, and a whip in the other, and an opponent runs past you (within the reach of your short sword), provoking an AoO, can you choose to use the whip in your AoO? Normally, whips don't threaten an area, and without the sword, you wouldn't get the AoO. As another way of putting it, does the sword threaten an area, meaning you can only use the sword; or do you threaten the area, meaning you can use the whip within the area you threatened with the sword?

relytdan
2013-12-08, 11:43 AM
Q#23
current IC chefs please ignore

in CoV p.45 Mystic fire Knight table shows for level 5 +5 +5 +1 +1
yet paladin shows for level 5 +5 +4 +1 +1

as the MFK is a substitution level dos this grant the +5 to fortitude over the +4 or is this a typo in the ACF?

Jormengand
2013-12-08, 12:10 PM
A 22 You threaten the area, but you do it with the sword. You can only attack with the sword.

Khedrac
2013-12-08, 01:41 PM
A 22 expansion Any attack of opportunity must be made with a weapon (natural or otherwise) with which you threaten the provoking target.

Andezzar
2013-12-08, 03:46 PM
Q 24

Can weapon special abilities that may be added to weapons also be added to ammunition? If so, where can I find that rule?

Curmudgeon
2013-12-08, 04:31 PM
A 018 No.

For the reason you listed.

A 019 Triple land speed.

Again, you've ascertained the combination of rules correctly: base land speed is not reduced for Dwarves in armor, but the Run full-round action has its own limits.

A 020 No.

There's just that one specific exception for using a lance. To qualify for mounted feats you must actually ride a mount.

A 021 No.

Hank's Energy Bow (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a) is a specific weapon, not a weapon enhancement. There is no cost formula for how that item's properties are derived. Without that formula, there is no possibility of recreating its capabilities elsewhere, or even adding +n cost enhancements to the particular item. You can add fixed cost enhancements to Hank's Energy Bow, and that's the full limit of what improvements you can make.

A 024

Table 7–9: Weapons on page 222 of Dungeon Master's Guide; also see the rules for ammunition on the previous page. If an enhancement is available for a non-melee weapon, those sections together explain how to use it for ammunition.

SillySymphonies
2013-12-08, 05:18 PM
Again, you've ascertained the combination of rules correctly: [...].
It's nice to know I'm finally beginning to understand the legalese that's 3.5.:smallcool: Thanks, Curmudgeon.

A 20, addendum
It's nothing official, but:

Due to its centaur-like construction, a zelekhut qualifies for feats as if it had the Mounted Combat feat.

and:

Centaur Racial Feats: None, but centaurs can acquire the Spirited Charge and Trample feats (ignoring the prerequisites) and apply the benefits to their own melee attacks.
(Unfortunately, Races of Faerûn was never updated to 3.5.)

killem2
2013-12-08, 05:47 PM
A 021 No.

Hank's Energy Bow (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a) is a specific weapon, not a weapon enhancement. There is no cost formula for how that item's properties are derived. Without that formula, there is no possibility of recreating its capabilities elsewhere, or even adding +n cost enhancements to the particular item. You can add fixed cost enhancements to Hank's Energy Bow, and that's the full limit of what improvements you can make.

I can accept that. I can also ask my dm, if he agrees that 22,600 - the cost of a +2 composite bow = 22,000 gp.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-12-08, 07:05 PM
Q 025

Can natural attacks be made to count as masterwork?

Curmudgeon
2013-12-08, 07:31 PM
A 025 Usually no.

A Warforged can be built with a masterwork component for its Slam natural attack at creation time. Generally, though, natural attacks are on creatures which aren't made using the Craft skill.

Morphie
2013-12-08, 07:47 PM
Q 026

Does the damage from Blast of Sand spell (Sandstorm) overcome the hardness from objects?

Edit: Thanks for the correction, Curmudgeon.

Con_Brio1993
2013-12-08, 08:02 PM
Q027

Do spells make noise unless otherwise stated? Not talking about verbal components, but explosion sounds and the like that one might expect when a magic missile hits its target.

Curmudgeon
2013-12-08, 08:10 PM
A 026

There is no "Sand Blast" spell in Sandstorm. If you're referring to Blast of Sand (page 112) instead, there is nothing in that spell's description to indicate that it ignores hardness. There is a confusing reference to sand scour, a spell (?) which does not exist.

heavyfuel
2013-12-08, 08:30 PM
Q 28

Damaging touch spells can crit x2 on a 20. How does this work in conjunction to the Duskblade's Arcane Channelling?

Q 29

When attacking, at which point does invisibility break? At the start of the attack (so the target only loses AC for the first attack), or at the end of the attacks (so the target loses AC against all attacks)

relytdan
2013-12-08, 11:14 PM
I don't know if this got skiped or missed or what...

Q#23
current IC chefs please ignore

in CoV p.45 Mystic fire Knight table shows for level 5 +5 +5 +1 +1
yet paladin shows for level 5 +5 +4 +1 +1

as the MFK is a substitution level dos this grant the +5 to fortitude over the +4 or is this a typo in the ACF?

KrimsonNekros
2013-12-08, 11:46 PM
Current IC Chefs/Judges please ignore.

Q 30

What is required to acquire and use a Nightmare (MM 195), as a mount?

Curmudgeon
2013-12-08, 11:51 PM
A 023

It's not an ACF (alternative class feature), but a substitution level. Lacking errata for Champions of Valor, you use the listed values.

A 028

It works normally.
If the melee attack is successful, the attack deals damage normally; then the effect of the spell is resolved. All of the weapon damage is dealt with, then the spell effect is resolved. It's quite possible to have a weapon critical but not a spell critical; these are different damages and handled sequentially using the appropriate rules (critical confirmation, & c.) for each.

A 029 Immediately upon any attack.

Attack actions are not relevant to the conditions for Invisibility ending, only attacks (as defined specifically in the spell description). Any attack, whether dealt singly or as the start of a full attack action, will end the spell.

A 030 Powerful magic, generally.

It seldom allows anyone to ride it, but particularly powerful and evil creatures have been known to make mounts of nightmares. To train any mount for being ridden in battle you must use Handle Animal. The problem with any creature which is not of Animal type and of INT 1-2 is that you can't use the skill on them. Thus, you must first alter their INT and type for a sufficiently long duration for the required training. Combat Riding, for instance, takes 6 weeks. After that the creature will be trained for combat riding, but that's still no guarantee that it will want to be ridden. (Dominate Monster alone would let you force the creature to accept you as a rider, but that wouldn't let it perform in battle without training.)

Dalebert
2013-12-09, 01:30 AM
Q 31
If you apply Fell Drain to a spell that can deal damage multiple times throughout its duration, would it drain a level each time? Ex: spike stones.

Curmudgeon
2013-12-09, 02:32 AM
A 031

Yes, to a maximum of 1 negative level per creature.
Benefit: You can alter a spell that deals damage to foes so that any living creature that is dealt damage also gains a negative level. Note the fact that Spike Stones can deal damage to foes doesn't keep it from also dealing damage to your allies or to you, with the same negative level consequences.

Lanaya
2013-12-09, 02:34 AM
Q32 A character with Bind Vestige, Improved can bind a vestige as though they were a 5th level binder. Do they therefore count as a 5th level binder when they activate the granted powers of their bound vestige, and could a 1st level human therefore take both feats and bind, for example, Amon and spew forth 50 ft lines that deal 5d6 fire damage?

Curmudgeon
2013-12-09, 02:55 AM
A 032 No.

Table 1–9: Bind Vestige Feat Abilities (Tome of Battle, page 74) lists the abilities available using Bind Vestige. If you have that feat and bind Amon you can gain only the Darkvision power from your binding. If you also have Practiced Binder you can gain the Ram Attack power. With feats alone you do not gain access to the Fire Breath power. You gain no benefit from Bind Vestige, Improved when binding Amon.

Sith_Happens
2013-12-09, 03:50 AM
A 30 (alternative)

Or you could just, you know, Planar Bind/Ally it into service as your mount.

Curmudgeon
2013-12-09, 06:30 AM
Re: A 30 (alternative)
Or you could just, you know, Planar Bind/Ally it into service as your mount.
Regardless of the magic used to get the creature to be willing, none of that actually makes it suitable (i.e., trained for the purpose) to be a useful mount.

ahenobarbi
2013-12-09, 07:56 AM
Q32
I recall reading about race that got wildshape at will. Does it exist? What is it? Where can I find it?

Karnith
2013-12-09, 08:01 AM
Q32
I recall reading about race that got wildshape at will. Does it exist? What is it? Where can I find it?
A 32
It's not a race, but the Mulhorandi Divine Minion template (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a) gives the ability to Wild Shape at will as a free action, though any given Divine Minion is limited to a certain form or number of forms based on her deity.

ahenobarbi
2013-12-09, 08:14 AM
Thanks.

Q33
Can Mulogardi Divine Minion with a level of Master of Many forms wildshape into a humanoid?

Sith_Happens
2013-12-09, 09:56 AM
Re: A 30 (alternative)
Regardless of the magic used to get the creature to be willing, none of that actually makes it suitable (i.e., trained for the purpose) to be a useful mount.

The only thing that being unsuitable does is give you a -5 on your Ride checks anyways. Hardly a deal breaker at the levels where you'll be thinking of riding a Nightmare in the first place.

Kred
2013-12-09, 10:31 AM
Q34
a Sword +4
Can i increase it enhancement lvl? Or enhancement lvl determines during craft?

Dalebert
2013-12-09, 10:43 AM
Yes, to a maximum of 1 negative level per creature. Note the fact that Spike Stones can deal damage to foes doesn't keep it from also dealing damage to your allies or to you, with the same negative level consequences.

If we're dumb enough to step on our own spike stones, we deserve it.

Q 34
Is the negative level from Fell Drain feat subject to spell resistance? Does it make any difference if the spell it's applied to is or not?

Karnith
2013-12-09, 10:58 AM
Q 3435
Is the negative level from Fell Drain feat subject to spell resistance? Does it make any difference if the spell it's applied to is or not?
A 35
There is no caster level check to overcome Spell Resistance for Fell Drain separate from the SR check for the spell it modifies. Fell Drain states that creatures dealt damage by a Fell Drained spell also gain a negative level. Either the spell gets through the creature's SR and deals damage (and hence also gives a negative level), or it doesn't. If the base spell is SR: No, then there is no SR check at all (because there is no SR check necessary to deal damage).

Chronos
2013-12-09, 11:15 AM
A 34 (the first one):

You can increase the enhancement bonus either permanently, using the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat, by spending materials and XP equal to the difference in price between a +4 sword and a +5 sword. Or you can temporarily make it a +5 by casting Greater Magic Weapon on it with a caster level of at least 20 (though if you went this route, it would be more cost-effective to start with a mere +1 sword, as the spell makes the original enhancement bonus irrelevant).

Kred
2013-12-09, 11:50 AM
Q36
A) Are there limit for special abilities in one weapon/armor?
B) Can i empower a weapon/armor with special abilities, which already has one.

Andezzar
2013-12-09, 12:15 PM
A 36

A)The sum of enhancement bonuses and special abilities priced as enhancement bonuses may not exceed +10. No single special ability may exceed the +5 price category. Actual enhancement bonuses may not exceed +5. Anything beyond that is an epic weapon/armor.
B) Yes

Duke of Urrel
2013-12-09, 12:26 PM
Q 37

How does the Undetectable Alignment spell interact with the Misdirection spell if you cast both spells upon yourself? Does the Undetectable Alignment spell work as a fallback defense if the Misdirection fails? Or does the Undetectable Alignment spell stop the Misdirection spell from working at all?

EDIT: For example, suppose you're a Chaotic-Neutral beguiler. This morning, you cast the Undetectable Alignment spell upon yourself, but then you found a magic item with a Lawful alignment – let's say a Ring of Protection from Chaos. You would like to use this object to make your own alignment aura seem to be Lawful, using the Misdirection spell. Must you dispel the Undetectable Alignment spell (or wait until it expires) before the Misdirection spell will work? Or does the Undetectable Alignment spell provide a fallback defense – making you seem ethically Neutral rather than Chaotic – if somebody makes a Will save against the Misdirection spell?

KillianHawkeye
2013-12-09, 01:01 PM
A 36 additional

There is no hard limit to the number of special abilities with a flat gold cost (+X gp) that you can add to a piece of weapon or armor.

Andezzar
2013-12-09, 01:08 PM
A 36 additional

There is no hard limit to the number of special abilities with a flat gold cost (+X gp) that you can add to a piece of weapon or armor.Forgot mentioning that. While there is no hard limit on the number, there is one on the price:
While not truly an artifact, the epic magic item is a creation of such power that it surpasses other magic items. Epic magic items are objects of great power and value. The following are typical characteristics of an epic magic item. In general, an item with even one of these characteristics is an epic magic item.
Grants a bonus on attacks or damage greater than +5.
Grants an enhancement bonus to armor higher than +5.
Has a special ability with a market price modifier greater than +5.
Grants an armor bonus of greater than +10 (not including magic armor’s enhancement bonus).
Grants a natural armor, deflection, or resistance bonus greater than +5.
Grants an enhancement bonus to an ability score greater than +6.
Grants an enhancement bonus on a skill check greater than +30.
Mimics a spell of an effective level higher than 9th.
Has a caster level above 20th.
Has a market price above 200,000 gp, not including material costs for armor or weapons, material component- or experience point-based costs, or additional value for intelligent items.
This information should also be in the Epic Level Handbook.

Kred
2013-12-09, 01:57 PM
Q38
Psionic concentration
"Attempting to manifest a power without its display"" and Manifesting Powers on the Defensive" are the same?
If not, can i make them together? And should i roll separately, or it will be 30 + power lvl?

Heliomance
2013-12-09, 02:22 PM
Q 39:
Is there any reasonable way by which Haunt Shift can be made to work on Deathless, or any other way in which a Deathless haunting presence could occur?

Curmudgeon
2013-12-09, 02:30 PM
Re: A 030 (alternative)
The only thing that being unsuitable does is give you a -5 on your Ride checks anyways. Incorrect.
Fight with Warhorse

If you direct your war-trained mount to attack in battle, you can still make your own attack or attacks normally. This usage is a free action.
The option that works with an untrained mount isn't nearly comparable:
Control Mount in Battle

As a move action, you can attempt to control a light horse, pony, heavy horse, or other mount not trained for combat riding while in battle. If you fail the Ride check, you can do nothing else in that round. You do not need to roll for warhorses or warponies.

Re: Q 037

I know of no such item as a Ring of Protection from Chaos. Due to your question being phrased in terms of an unknown custom item, I cannot provide an answer by the RAW.

Duke of Urrel
2013-12-09, 03:38 PM
Q 37

How does the Undetectable Alignment spell interact with the Misdirection spell if you cast both spells upon yourself? Does the Undetectable Alignment spell work as a fallback defense if the Misdirection fails? Or does the Undetectable Alignment spell stop the Misdirection spell from working at all?

EDIT: For example, suppose you're a Chaotic-Neutral beguiler. This morning, you cast the Undetectable Alignment spell upon yourself, but then you found a magic item with a Lawful alignment – let's say a Ring of Protection from Chaos. You would like to use this object to make your own alignment aura seem to be Lawful, using the Misdirection spell. Must you dispel the Undetectable Alignment spell (or wait until it expires) before the Misdirection spell will work? Or does the Undetectable Alignment spell provide a fallback defense – making you seem ethically Neutral rather than Chaotic – if somebody makes a Will save against the Misdirection spell?

Replace the custom item with a standard Axiomatic short sword +1. Nothing fancy, just a Lawful magic item.

EDIT: I will soon move this question to its own thread. As I think about this question, it's starting to multiply into other questions that probably go well beyond the RAW.

Heliomance
2013-12-09, 05:45 PM
Q40:
I'm sure I've seen people making builds that involve taking part of a Savage Progression, but Savage Species explicitly says you can't multiclass out of a racial class early. Is there something that overrides that somewhere?

Karnith
2013-12-09, 05:49 PM
Q40:
I'm sure I've seen people making builds that involve taking part of a Savage Progression, but Savage Species explicitly says you can't multiclass out of a racial class early. Is there something that overrides that somewhere?
A 40
That depends on which kind of monster classes you're using. You can't multiclass out of monster classes from Savage Species before you've finished them. Template classes from the mothership's Savage Progressions articles (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a) are not so constrained. Each type of monster class generally has its own rules.

KrimsonNekros
2013-12-09, 06:21 PM
The only thing that being unsuitable does is give you a -5 on your Ride checks anyways. Hardly a deal breaker at the levels where you'll be thinking of riding a --- in the first place.

Incorrect.
The option that works with an untrained mount isn't nearly comparable:

Thanks for the help guys, but Don't have to worry about that little aspect as it is covered in the text already. Again current IC Chefs/Judges please ignore.

A nightmare can fight while carrying a rider, but the rider cannot also fight unless he or she succeeds on a Ride check.

TheCrowing1432
2013-12-09, 08:08 PM
Q41

Is CR accumulative.

If I have a party of 4 level 5's, and I send a pack of 4 wolves that have a cr of 5 each, is that an equal battle?

Andezzar
2013-12-09, 08:22 PM
A 41

No the relationship is much more complicated.

First of all a single CR x enemy is supposed to be a challenging encounter for 4 characters with ECL x. Its encounter level is equal to the party level
How you add up different enemies to get their encounter level you can find on p. 48 f. of the DMG or you can use an Encounter Calculator (http://www.d20srd.org/extras/d20encountercalculator).

Chronos
2013-12-09, 09:28 PM
A 41 addendum:

Note that a "challenging encounter" does not mean an encounter that has a significant chance of wiping out the party. The expectation is that the party ought to be able to handle four challenging encounters per day, day in and day out, and still probably beat all of them. Throwing four monsters, each with CR 5, at a party of four level 5 PCs is expected to be a fair fight, i.e., the kind of fight that PCs try to avoid at all costs, and where the monsters are just as likely to win as the PCs are.

Irk
2013-12-09, 10:12 PM
Q42

How do your stats change when you change size categories?

EDIT: assume tiny to fine and tiny to colossal, specifically

Chronos
2013-12-09, 10:27 PM
A 42:

That depends on how you're changing size categories. Most effects that can change your size category specify what happens to your stats. For instance, the Enlarge Person spell gives you +2 Str, -2 Dex. The Righteous Might spell, meanwhile, despite giving you the same size change, gives you +4 Str, +2 Con, and no change to your Dex (plus some other bonuses).

Legendxp
2013-12-10, 12:10 AM
Q43: Where are the rulings on experience? More specifically, where do you find out what monsters give what exp? If it is in the SRD, a link would be helpful. (Can't remember if this is allowed in the forums, if not, a quote or a keyword to search in google would be just as good)

Duke of Urrel
2013-12-10, 12:44 AM
Q43: Where are the rulings on experience? More specifically, where do you find out what monsters give what exp? If it is in the SRD, a link would be helpful. (Can't remember if this is allowed in the forums, if not, a quote or a keyword to search in google would be just as good)

A 43

The discussion of experience-point rewards starts on page 36 of the Dungeon Master's Guide v. 3.5 (2003). Tables that match Challenge Ratings to experience points appear on page 38.

The SRD has a helpful Encounter Calculator (http://www.d20srd.org/extras/d20encountercalculator/).

Legendxp
2013-12-10, 12:51 AM
C42: If the size change isn't related to a specific spell. You might want to look here.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm

Scroll down a bit.

This is SRD so I'm allowed to post a link right? Also, thanks for the quick response I appreciate it.

Dromuthra
2013-12-10, 02:35 AM
Q44

If I have levels in Swordsage, Crusader, and Warblade, which of their recovery mechanics do I use? If I only have levels in two, can I use the mechanic of one for the maneuvers of the other?

Andezzar
2013-12-10, 02:44 AM
A 44

Your maneuvers are separate. If you have a maneuver as a crusader maneuver you can only recover it as a crusader does, no matter what other initiator classes you have.

ahenobarbi
2013-12-10, 06:57 AM
Q45
Can Changeling qualify as a human? (similarly to using Stonebleased PrC letting you qualify as a dwarf).

Andezzar
2013-12-10, 09:43 AM
A 45

No for the changeling. A changeling is a humanoid with the shapechanger subtype.
Yes for the stoneblessed if he is invited by dwarves and has 3 levels in the PrC:
In addition, for all effects related to race, a stoneblessed is considered a member of the race to which she is bonded.
For example, dwarf-bonded stoneblessed are just as vulnerable to effects and abilities that affect dwarves as actual dwarves are (such as a ranger’s favored enemy ability), and they can use magic items that are usable only
by dwarves. The stone blessed meets any racial prerequisite for prestige classes and feats as if she were a member of her bonded race.

Interestingly enough the example ability (Ranger Favored Enemy) selects based on type and possibly subtype but not on race.

Kred
2013-12-10, 10:09 AM
Q46
Teleport spell
Can i teleport into the air?

Chronos
2013-12-10, 10:42 AM
A 46:

Yes, and it can sometimes be a very good idea, to minimize the chance of landing in a solid object if you miss. Of course, you then have to deal with falling, but there are many ways to handle that.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-12-10, 02:00 PM
A 045 Contention

A changeling with the Racial Emulation feat can qualify as a Human (or, at least, grant themselves the [human] subtype).

Andezzar
2013-12-10, 02:21 PM
A 045 Contention

A changeling with the Racial Emulation feat can qualify as a Human (or, at least, grant themselves the [human] subtype).While this is true, the feat was not part of the question.

ahenobarbi
2013-12-10, 02:51 PM
Q45
Can Changeling qualify as a human? (similarly to using Stonebleased PrC letting you qualify as a dwarf).

A 45

No for the changeling. A changeling is a humanoid with the shapechanger subtype.
Yes for the stoneblessed if he is invited by dwarves and has 3 levels in the PrC:

Interestingly enough the example ability (Ranger Favored Enemy) selects based on type and possibly subtype but not on race.

A 045 Contention

A changeling with the Racial Emulation feat can qualify as a Human (or, at least, grant themselves the [human] subtype).

While this is true, the feat was not part of the question.

I phrased my question in a confusing way, the feat is the kind of thing I was looking for. Thanks to you both!

Ruethgar
2013-12-10, 03:01 PM
Q47 Is there an update/alteration to Searing Blade(in ToB) that makes it a swift action or do you have to just stick with the lowly Burning Blade until higher level?

Telok
2013-12-10, 04:30 PM
A 47: There are no updates or errata to Tome of Battle.

Q 48: The couatl, a 9 HD outsider, casts spells as a 9th level sorcerer. By RAW, does a couatl advanced to 15 HD cast spells as a 15th level sorcerer?

Chronos
2013-12-10, 05:15 PM
A 47 correction:
There is a partial errata for ToB, but for some bizarre reason it starts talking about a different book halfway through, and never got to the point of correcting any of the maneuvers.

A 48:
A couatl gets the casting that its entry says it gets. Some outsiders with innate casting explicitly scale with HD, such as the sylph (MM2), but most do not.

Telok
2013-12-10, 05:26 PM
A 48:
A couatl gets the casting that its entry says it gets. Some outsiders with innate casting explicitly scale with HD, such as the sylph (MM2), but most do not.

Thanks. That means they need sorcerer levels instead of racial HD to be a game breaking Planar Binding.

Telonius
2013-12-11, 12:10 AM
Q 49

I'm going to be advancing an Outsider from 17 HD to 29 HD. This particular Outsider (a Justicator, from MM3) doesn't have any natural weapons listed, just Greatsword attacks. When I advance it beyond 20 HD, does the BAB still keep going up at +1 per hit die, per the Outsider type? Or does it switch to Epic progression (+1 bonus on odd levels)? I notice that Dragons seem to advance by the Dragon Type rules, but I'm not sure if the fact that this Outsider uses regular weapons with iteratives might change things.

unseenmage
2013-12-11, 02:43 AM
Q50

Is there any RAW on determining an NPCs attidite at random or (especially) determining their actions in a random fashion?

I'm looking for a means to determine what a "totally loyal" NPC would do given a free choice.

Chronos
2013-12-11, 09:49 AM
A 49:
Solars (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/angel.htm#angelSolar), which likewise use weapons, have 22 HD and 22 BAB. So the rule appears to be that you continue to use the BAB appropriate to the racial hit dice, not the epic progression, even with more than 20.

Kred
2013-12-11, 10:58 AM
Q51
Psycarnum Infusion + Psicrystal + Psicrystal Containment
Can i expend psicrytal's focus to turn on Psycarnum Infusion?

Telonius
2013-12-11, 03:03 PM
A 50
The DMG (p.128) states that the DM determines the NPC's attitude based on circumstances. Most people met in a neutral city start out as indifferent.

For a "completely loyal" follower, this sounds like a person with either a Helpful or a Fanatic attitude. From the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/diplomacy.htm), Helpful means they will take risks to help you. Example actions are, "Protect, back up, heal, aid."

A Fanatic attitude (found in the Epic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#diplomacy) skill section), means the person would give their life to serve you. Example actions are, "Fight to the death against overwhelming odds, throw self in front of onrushing dragon."

Coldsturm
2013-12-11, 04:36 PM
Q 52

At Bone Knight 8 you gain Exosceleton of Undeath. One of the abilities granted is immunity to sleep effects. At that point does the character still sleep, or is he just immune to magical effects?

Q 53

If i cast Magic Vestments or Greater Magic Weapon does it increase the hardness and hit points of the items buffed this way?

Andezzar
2013-12-11, 04:43 PM
A 53

Yes. Extra Hardness and HP are based on the enhancement bonus, regardless where it comes from. A stick with greater magic weapon cast on it by a level 20 caster is indistinguishable from a +5 club until you dispel it.

unseenmage
2013-12-11, 04:43 PM
Q54

Assuming it were possible to bring a Construct back to life (via The Giant's Reassembly (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172910) spell perhaps);

Would the clause about a Homunculus dying when it's creator/master dies just kill it again if the creator/master was still dead when the Homunculus was brought back?

Dude_Here
2013-12-11, 06:35 PM
Q55

Regarding the feat Cloudy Conjuration, does the -2 save penalty work in conjunction with the spell that was used to trigger it (grease for instance)?

Curmudgeon
2013-12-11, 07:18 PM
A 052 Yes.

The immunity to sleep effects would not change the character's normal sleep habit. However, since Exoskeleton of Undeath also makes the character immune to fatigue, the character can go without rest if they want.

A 054 Yes.

A 055 Yes.
The cloud appears in conjunction with the spell taking effect (not before or after).

unseenmage
2013-12-11, 07:24 PM
A 054 Yes.

Could you please elaborate?

Curmudgeon
2013-12-11, 07:54 PM
Re: A 054
Could you please elaborate? From page 154 of Monster Manual:
If the creature’s master is slain, the homunculus also dies, and its body swiftly melts away into a pool of ichor.
If the master is still slain, this Homunculus trait applies.

The Monster Manual uses slain as an adjective as well as the past participle of "slay". An example, from page 32:
The elves are paid from the tribe’s treasury, which consists of the booty of slain monsters. You can find other examples of "slain" as an adjective on pages 40, 58, 59, 102, 169, and 176.

unseenmage
2013-12-11, 07:59 PM
Re: A 054 From page 154 of Monster Manual:
If the master is still slain, this Homunculus trait applies.

The Monster Manual uses slain as an adjective as well as the past participle of "slay". An example, from page 32: You can find other examples of "slain" as an adjective on pages 40, 58, 59, 102, 169, and 176.

Thank you. Your diligence is appreciated. Let it never be said you aren't willing to dig deep to find the answer.

Irk
2013-12-11, 10:22 PM
A051
Yes, you can expend your psicrystal's focus for anything that YOU normally could.

Andezzar
2013-12-12, 01:40 AM
Q 56

If a character becomes immune to sleep effects, but still has his normal sleep requirements, would that mean he is unable to recover from fatigue? Isn't that recovery also a sleep effect?

unseenmage
2013-12-12, 01:43 AM
Q57

Is there a way to make Gather Information checks faster?

killem2
2013-12-12, 12:33 PM
Q 58: With Bag of Endless Caltrops, can you take a double move and drop two handfuls?

Curmudgeon
2013-12-12, 03:35 PM
A 058 Unlikely.

Each time you reach into the Bag of Endless Caltrops (Magic Item Compendium, page 151) to grab caltrops requires a move action to activate the Bag.
In addition to the activation cost, filling a 5-foot square with caltrops by hand requires a standard action. So you would need two move actions and two standard actions (plus a 5' step if necessary) to cover 2 squares. If you had enough extra actions you could do this in a single turn, but under the normal rules this isn't possible.

killem2
2013-12-12, 05:13 PM
A 058 Unlikely.

Each time you reach into the Bag of Endless Caltrops (Magic Item Compendium, page 151) to grab caltrops requires a move action to activate the Bag. So you would need two move actions and two standard actions (plus a 5' step if necessary) to cover 2 squares. If you had enough extra actions you could do this in a single turn, but under the normal rules this isn't possible.

Ahh didn't see that. Thanks man!

trodgerable
2013-12-12, 06:15 PM
Q59

Can a character use the extra action from Dragonlance's Heroic Surge feat in the same turn he takes a full round action?

unseenmage
2013-12-12, 07:09 PM
Q60
How does this line from the Awaken Sand spell in Sandstorm work in situations where a Spell Clock (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070312a) is casting the spell?

To succeed, you must make a
DC 18 Will save.

Q61
If a Runic Guardian is using it's SLA for the spell?

Q62
If an Intelligent Magic Item is using using it's ability to activate it's own powers for the spell?

Curmudgeon
2013-12-13, 06:40 AM
A 059 No.

Heroic Surge is from Legend of the Twins (pages 12-13), a Dragonlance-only book. The only Dragonlance book which is D&D-compatible is Dragonlance Campaign Setting, a Wizards of the Coast publication. All others are 3rd party material not compatible with D&D 3.5. Consequently, no D&D character can use Heroic Surge.

Wonder
2013-12-13, 07:46 AM
Q 63

An area of effect spell does damage each round over a duration. What happens if the same or different casters casts the same spell multiple times in the same area, does all the damages sum up ?

nyjastul69
2013-12-13, 09:26 AM
A 63 Partial: Area effect spells come in several varieties. Some AoE's have a duration, some are instantaneous. Some do damage and some don't. What spells are in question here?

trodgerable
2013-12-13, 11:57 AM
A 059 No.

Heroic Surge is from Legend of the Twins (pages 12-13), a Dragonlance-only book. The only Dragonlance book which is D&D-compatible is Dragonlance Campaign Setting, a Wizards of the Coast publication. All others are 3rd party material not compatible with D&D 3.5. Consequently, no D&D character can use Heroic Surge.

This is the most useless correct answer you could have possibly given.

Andezzar
2013-12-13, 12:00 PM
And totally appropriate for this thread. If you want to discuss third party material open a new thread.

trodgerable
2013-12-13, 12:02 PM
Q64

D20 Modern Question

Can a character with the Heroic Surge feat make a full-round action in the same round in which she uses the feat?

Legendxp
2013-12-13, 12:12 PM
There is no "only one 5 ft step rule". The rule for any 5 ft step however include:

Originally Posted by SRD
You can move 5 feet in any round when you don’t perform any other kind of movement.

So even if you get a 5 ft step through the feat you cannot use it because you have already moved at some other point in the round.

Q65: If you've already taken a 5ft step, can you take another 5ft step if a feat/spell/manuever/other tells you to? The relevant discussion is in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319383).

More specifically does this feat let you take a 5ft step if you've already taken one this round?

Originally Posted by The Text of the Net and Trident Feat
As a full-round action, you can make a combined attack with your net and trident. First, you throw your net; if you hit and successfully control your foe by winning the opposed Strength check, you may immediately take a 5-foot step toward your opponent and make a full attack with your trident.

Rule quotes and sources would be greatly appreciated.

Jormengand
2013-12-13, 12:46 PM
A64: Not the thread for it, but looks likely.

A65: Yes, I think.

This looks to be a case of specific overriding general. Even though you may normally only "Move 5 feet in any round" the feat allows you to take another if you have already done so, but if you don't take a step before using it, you can't take one after performing the feat because it's a general 5 foot step not a specific one.

Samalpetey
2013-12-13, 03:14 PM
Q 66

A use of spellcraft listed on the srd is a dc 20+spell level check to "Identify a spell that’s already in place and in effect. You must be able to see or detect the effects of the spell. No action required. No retry."

Does this allow you to identify a spell effect (say, Overland Flight as a completely random example) after using detect magic/arcane sight?

Dalebert
2013-12-13, 03:24 PM
Q 67
Inspired by Q 66. Can spellcraft detect what is being cast from a wand (or other spell trigger device), and if so, would the DC match what it would take to recognize a spell being cast the normal way?

Samalpetey
2013-12-13, 03:38 PM
A Q67

I don't think so, as though spells are commonly described as being "cast from" a wand, wands do not have components from what I can see, and you must see components to be able to identify a spell being cast.

Curmudgeon
2013-12-13, 05:37 PM
A 066 Yes.

Detect Magic, if used within the period of lingering aura left within the allotted time (1d6 minutes for a 5th level spell like Overland Flight), would let you determine the school of the spell (Transmutation for Overland Flight).
3rd Round
The strength and location of each aura. If the items or creatures bearing the auras are in line of sight, you can make Spellcraft skill checks to determine the school of magic involved in each. This Spellcraft check must also be the one to attempt to identify the particular spell; you may succeed at one identification, both, or neither depending on your check result.
Identify a spell that’s already in place and in effect. You must be able to see or detect the effects of the spell. No action required. No retry.
With Arcane Sight you do not have the option to make a Spellcraft check to discern the school of magic.
You know the location and power of all magical auras within your sight. An aura’s power depends on a spell’s functioning level or an item’s caster level, as noted in the description of the detect magic spell. If the items or creatures bearing the auras are in line of sight, you can make Spellcraft skill checks to determine the school of magic involved in each. The lingering aura from an Overland Flight spell would be in the air, not on any item or creature. Thus you have one chance to use Spellcraft to identify the particular spell responsible; failing that, you only know there's an aura.

Samalpetey
2013-12-13, 05:57 PM
Q 66 clarification

So detecting the aura+a spellcraft check for the school+a spellcraft check to identify the spell is enough to identify an ongoing spell effect?

Curmudgeon
2013-12-13, 08:45 PM
A 66 clarification
So detecting the aura+a spellcraft check for the school+a spellcraft check to identify the spell is enough to identify an ongoing spell effect?
Not exactly. There's no action involved with either check, but

You can only use Spellcraft on the aura while in the 3rd round of Detect Magic.
You're not allowed to retry a Spellcraft check to identify a spell in place.
So you get one Spellcraft check per aura, which will determine both answers:

the school of magic (DC 15 + spell level)
the particular spell involved (20 + spell level)
You can succeed on neither, just the first item, or both. You can't succeed on the second check but not the first (i.e., you can't determine the particular spell but not be able to discern its school); that would require two checks, one of which would be a retry.

Wonder
2013-12-13, 09:00 PM
Q 63 Specification

A 63 Partial: Area effect spells come in several varieties. Some AoE's have a duration, some are instantaneous. Some do damage and some don't. What spells are in question here?

I was thinking at acid fog

relytdan
2013-12-13, 09:09 PM
Q 64
concerning PRC's and keeping prerequisites in order to have the PRC abilities.. to the best of my knowledge there are just 2 books in the complete series that characters must maintain the prerequisites throughout the PRC in order to have the PRC abilities
Question is this fact?

Sith_Happens
2013-12-13, 10:30 PM
A 64

Correct. Only those two books have verbiage about needing to keep prerequisites continuously. Furthermore, each instance of such text is generally considered to only apply to the PrCs in that book, due to the fact that applying them generally would both contradict the DMG and cause certain classes (most notably Dragon Disciple and Ur-Priest) to effectively turn themselves off.

Caddoko
2013-12-14, 02:56 AM
Q67

In the description on Boguns (Masters of the Wild, P.82-83) it states that A Bogun can't leave the 500-yard telepathy range it shares with it's master. If I leave the range myself will the Bogun follow me or can I make it stay in the area?

Skevvix
2013-12-14, 05:40 AM
Q68

Does the Suel Arcanamach Extended Spellstrength make Truestrike last 2 rounds(or until used)?

Extended Spellstrength (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, a Suel arcanamach knows how to extend the duration of spells that he casts on himself. The duration of any of his Suel arcanamach spells with which he targets himself is doubled, as if affected by the Extend Spell feat (but without any adjustment to the spell’s effective level or casting time). For instance, a bull’s strength spell cast by a 3rd-level Suel arcanamach on himself has a duration of 6 minutes rather than 3 minutes. Spells that target multiple targets are affected by this power, but only the arcanamach gains the extended duration. For example, a 5th-level arcanamach who casts haste would be hasted for 10 rounds, while his allies would gain the effect only for the normal 5-round duration. Spells that do not have a Target entry are unaffected by this power even if the arcanamach is the only one affected

Andezzar
2013-12-14, 06:10 AM
Q 68

Yes, but it won't do much. While you will have two rounds to make the attack, even with the extension only the next attack roll will get any benefits.

Skevvix
2013-12-14, 07:05 AM
Q 68

Yes, but it won't do much. While you will have two rounds to make the attack, even with the extension only the next attack roll will get any benefits.

Yeah, I'm just trying to figure out my buff routine, and wanted to make sure this worked. Thanks!

Legendxp
2013-12-14, 09:21 AM
Q69: Without knowing the context, if a rule says you both can and cannot do something, what happens? I was always under the impression that the can effect takes precedence. Here are some other rules I am aware of:

Text trumps table
Specific trumps general
Errata trumps original

I wanted to know what happens outside of these.

Karnith
2013-12-14, 10:22 AM
Q69: Without knowing the context, if a rule says you both can and cannot do something, what happens? I was always under the impression that the can effect takes precedence. Here are some other rules I am aware of:

Text trumps table
Specific trumps general
Errata trumps original

I wanted to know what happens outside of these.
A 69
The official 3.5 primary sources rule can be found in most, if not all, of the 3.5 errata files (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a), and is as follows:

When you find a disagreement between two D&D rules sources, unless an official errata file says otherwise, the primary source is correct. One example of a primary/secondary source is text taking precedence over a table entry. An individual spell description takes precedence when the short description in the beginning of the spells chapter disagrees. A monster’s statistics block supersedes the descriptive text.
Another example of primary vs. secondary sources involves book and topic precedence. The Player’s Handbook, for example, gives all the rules for playing the game, for PC races, and the base class descriptions. If you find something on one of those topics from the Dungeon Master’s Guide or the Monster Manual that disagrees with the Player’s Handbook, you should assume the Player’s Handbook is the primary source. The Dungeon Master’s Guide is the primary source for topics such as magic item descriptions, special material construction rules, and so on. The Monster Manual is the primary source for monster descriptions, templates, and supernatural, extraordinary, and spell-like abilities.

Andezzar
2013-12-14, 10:26 AM
Q 70

a) If a character moves outside his turn can he still perform a 5 ft step?
b) Does the answer to a change if the character is moved?
c) Does teleportation count as movement for the purpose of deciding whether a 5 ft step can be performed?

Q 71

Is he "specific trumps general" actually spelled out anywhere.

Codyage
2013-12-14, 10:52 AM
Q 72

Is the Magic Item Compendium Dislocator ability(p. 32), the same/errata'd as the Dislocator ability used in XpH(p. 165), and by extension the one the Soulbow gets? Even though, they have different creation costs and prerequisites, such as Craft Magic arms and Armor, and Craft Psionic Arms and Armor.

Andezzar
2013-12-14, 10:57 AM
A 72

Yes, it has the same name and is of the same type (weapon special ability). the MIC explicitly states that it updates such things.

jaydubs
2013-12-14, 12:32 PM
Q73

Can you voluntarily give up a saving throw against non-spells? For instance, poisons, diseases, fatigue, etc.?

Corinath
2013-12-14, 01:28 PM
Q74

Which of your class' bonus spells Modifier do you use to calculate bonus spells? I.E., a Wizard uses Int. Said Wizard has 22 Int from natural progression. But gets +5 Inherent Bonus from a tome bringing it to 27. But also has an item that grants +6, bringing it to 33.

Does the Wizard use 22, 27, or 33 to calculate bonus spells?

And…

Q75

Supposing the above wizard were to be granted bonus spells from a worn item that enhances their Int, and were to LOSE that item, do they lose the appropriate number of bonus spells for the remainder of the day as well?

Chronos
2013-12-14, 02:45 PM
A 74:

The wizard in your example has a 33 Int, so that's what he uses. The only place in the rules where it matters how you got an ability score is that Int from a removable item or temporary spell does not effect your number of skill points.

Dalebert
2013-12-14, 03:19 PM
Q 76
What exactly happens if you have a hoard gullet (http://dndtools.eu/spells/dragon-magic--62/hoard-gullet--1080/) and you enter a rope trick space?

Q 77
What if you swallow a cursed item that's attached to you into your hoard gullet and then enter a rope trick space?

ShurikVch
2013-12-14, 04:00 PM
Q 78
Unseen Servant can be affected with area spells.
What's about Bull’s Strength, Mass? Can help to carry heavy stuff...

Zanos
2013-12-14, 04:40 PM
Q 79

The feat ability focus adds +2 to the save DC's of a selected special attack. Creatures, even those with casting from class levels, have their spell-casting listed as "Spells" in the special attack field in their statblock. Can I take Ability Focus: Spells?

Andezzar
2013-12-14, 05:58 PM
A 75

Yes, you lose the slots.

A 76

Nothing special. Only the interaction between a bag of holding (whose behavior the hoard gullet might inherit) and a portable hole is explicitly stated.

The rope trick spell says that introducing an extradimensional space into an existing one is hazardrous, the bag of holding however creates a nondimensional space. Soe even if both were extradimensional spaces, we would not know what that hazard is exactly.

Q 77 Request for clarification.

What do you mean by "attached to you" if you cannot remove the item from your hand, you cannot swallow it.

Otherwise the contents of the hoard gullet is irrelevant.

A 78

The unseen servant is not a creature and thus not a valid target for mass bull's strength.

Curmudgeon
2013-12-14, 06:17 PM
A 070
Take 5-Foot Step

You can move 5 feet in any round when you don’t perform any other kind of movement. Taking this 5-foot step never provokes an attack of opportunity. You can’t take more than one 5-foot step in a round, and you can’t take a 5-foot step in the same round when you move any distance.
a) It doesn't matter whether the movement is in your turn or not; all that matters is if it's in the same round.

b) No.

c) No. Teleportation is relocation without movement. Only movement counts.

A 071

See Rules Compendium on pages 5 (ORDER OF RULES APPLICATION) and 13 (IT’S REALLY AN EXCEPTION).

A 073

The answer depends entirely if your game uses Rules Compendium. The core rules allow you to forego saving throws only against spells; RC added a new rule making such an option available for all saves.

A 075 Yes.

The Wizard Spells per Day and Bonus Spells figure limits apply at all times, not just at daily preparation.

A 078 No.

Bull's Strength, Mass only affects creatures. Unseen Servant creates a force servant, not a creature.

A 079 No.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new special attack. Spells is a plural term. If you have Spells listed as a special attack for your character, you may choose one spell to which you can apply Ability Focus each time you take the feat.

ShurikVch
2013-12-14, 06:47 PM
Unseen Servant creates a force servant, not a creature. It's sound like US is legal subject for Living Spell template... :smallconfused:

reveurduciel
2013-12-14, 08:19 PM
Q80

Do i still have to pay 250 gold for a disciple of dispater Iron Body Class feature ?

Chronos
2013-12-14, 08:58 PM
Q 81:

Can the spell "Aura of Terror" (Spell Compendium) stack with itself? Ordinarily the answer would be no, but Aura of Terror includes special rules for what happens if you cast it when you already have a fear aura, which might count as a specific exception.

GreenSerpent
2013-12-14, 09:18 PM
Q82

If a Spellthief 1/Bard 9 has the feat Master Spellthief their Spellthief and Bard caster levels = 10 due to Master Spellthief, correct?

If that character then takes a level in Sublime Chord does the following happen?

Bard original caster level = 9
Spellthief original caster level = 1
Sublime Chord derived caster level = 10 (9 + 1)

BUT, quoting the Sublime Chord text:
"A sublime chord’s caster level for both her sublime chord spells and the spells she gains from other arcane spellcasting classes is determined by adding her sublime chord level to her level in another arcane spellcasting class."

Does that mean, according to the underlined text:

Sublime Chord derived caster level = 10
Therefore Bard & Spellthief derived caster levels = 10 each

Then Master Spellthief applies to give all classes a caster level of 10 + 10 + 10 = 30.

Is this correct?

unseenmage
2013-12-14, 09:30 PM
Q83

A Construct under the influence of the Greater Humanoid Essence (RoE) spell can be affected by Mind-Affecting effects.

This means that they can be made Fanatic via epic use of the Diplomacy skill.

Would that Construct still be Fanatic after the Greater Humanoid Essence spell's duration expires? Or would it's Construct immunity to Mind-Affecting effects negate the Fanatic condition?

Thurbane
2013-12-14, 09:46 PM
Two questions about the Elemental Warrior PrC (Planar Handbook):

Q84

The Elemental Manifestation of an Air Elemental Warrior says "All ranged attacks against her have a 20% miss chance.". Would this include ranged touch attacks?

Q85

The Elemental Weapon allows her to "imbue any melee weapon she wields with the energy of her chosen element". In the case of a double weapon, would this apply to both ends, or would one end need to be specified?

Curmudgeon
2013-12-14, 09:50 PM
A 081 No.

Aura of Terror will stack with other fear-producing effects, but not with itself. Overriding the basic magic stacking rules would require a very clear statement of such an exception, which the spell description lacks.

A 083 No.
Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
Treat the fanatic attitude as a mind-affecting enchantment effect for purposes of immunity, save bonuses, or being detected by the Sense Motive skill. The Construct creature would regain their immunity to mind-affecting effects after Greater Humanoid Essence expires, and thus could no longer have a Fanatic disposition. The skill rules don't specify any fallback conditions if an NPC attitude becomes impossible, so their new attitude would be a DM's call.

Semada
2013-12-15, 12:13 AM
Q 86

Can you break a magical weapon with a natural weapon within an antimagic field? Per SRD: "The attacker cannot damage a magic weapon or shield that has an enhancement bonus unless his own weapon has at least as high an enhancement bonus as the weapon or shield struck. Each +1 of enhancement bonus also adds 1 to the weapon's or shield's hardness and hit points."

And for Antimagic Field: "An antimagic field suppresses any spell or magical effect used within, brought into, or cast into the area, but does not dispel it."

If the magic weapon is within an antimagic field and is being attacked by a natural weapon with no enhancement bonus, can he still destroy the weapon?

Curmudgeon
2013-12-15, 01:07 AM
A 086

You must be referencing a very old version of the SRD.
Hardness and Hit Points
Dungeon Master’s Guide, page 222
Problem: The first paragraph is not consistent with similar information for shields on page 217.
Solution: Delete the first sentence after the boldface header. Change the next sentence to read as follows:
Each +1 of enhancement bonus adds 2 to a weapon’s or shield’s hardness and +10 to its hit points. The first sentence of your quote is the one to be deleted; the second is the one to be changed.

You can break anything with anything, though hardness may make that difficult. In an Antimagic Field magical enhancement does not contribute to an object's hardness or hit points.

Deaxsa
2013-12-15, 01:32 AM
Q 87
Is the Mohrg (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/mohrg.htm) poorly written, or is does it actually have +9 initiative?

KillianHawkeye
2013-12-15, 01:42 AM
Re: 87

It's probably just a typo. Dexterity 19 is worth +4, Improved Initiative another +4, and I don't see anything that would warrant another random +1. Stat blocks typically aren't the most well edited parts of the game book.

Andezzar
2013-12-15, 02:25 AM
A 80

No, you don't:
A spell-like ability has no verbal, somatic, or material component, nor does it require a focus or have an XP cost.

Semada
2013-12-15, 03:42 AM
Q88

Weapon Mastery Feats. Do the Ranged and Melee WM feats stack if used on a thrown weapon that can also we used in melee, such as a dagger?

Q89

For Bloodstorm Blade using Thunderous Throw, even though you treat all attacks as melee attacks, do you still use ranged feats as well as melee feats? Far shot, rapid shot, precise shot?

Curmudgeon
2013-12-15, 04:35 AM
A 088 No.

A weapon is either ranged or melee, but not both simultaneously; your use decides which it is at any particular time. Because it's not possible to use a weapon for both ranged and melee attacks simultaneously, it's not possible for there to be a stacking issue with Ranged Weapon Mastery and Melee Weapon Mastery.

A 089 Generally, no.
As a swift action, you can choose to treat your ranged attack rolls with thrown weapons as melee attacks for the rest of your turn. The answer will depend on the specific language used in each feat, but generally you will not benefit from them.
Benefit: You get a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls with ranged weapons at ranges of up to 30 feet. Because you're treated as using melee attacks, your weapon is not a ranged weapon, and Point Blank Shot will not apply.
Benefit: You can get one extra attack per round with a ranged weapon. Again, you're using a melee weapon, not a ranged weapon.
Benefit: You can shoot or throw ranged weapons at an opponent engaged in melee without taking the standard -4 penalty on your attack roll. Because you're making melee attacks, you don't have a penalty to attack an opponent engaged in melee.

Semada
2013-12-15, 05:06 AM
A89.2

Per text: ToB pg 101 "You use your melee attack bonus,
including Strength bonus, feats, and so forth, to determine
your attack bonus for each attack as normal, but you apply the
standard modifiers for range penalties. Attacking into melee,
through cover, and so forth incurs the standard penalties."

Wouldn't that mean you WOULD apply feats such as Far Shot and Precise Shot? If that's the case, why wouldn't the other feats apply as well? When the text doesn't specifically state which set of feats can and cant be used, why couldn't both sets be used if circumstances call for them?

Curmudgeon
2013-12-15, 07:06 AM
A 089.2
Per text: ToB pg 101 "You use your melee attack bonus, including Strength bonus, feats, and so forth, to determine your attack bonus for each attack as normal, but you apply the standard modifiers for range penalties. Attacking into melee, through cover, and so forth incurs the standard penalties."
As I read this, because you are making melee attacks, the standard melee attack penalties for attacking into melee, through cover, and so forth apply. The "but" clause of the previous sentence stops at the period. Making that dependent clause and the following sentence highlighted together does not make them logically connected.

Eaglejarl
2013-12-15, 11:01 AM
Q90

If I have a sphere made of riverine, can I use Dispel Magic to unmake it? What caster level am I targeting? Are there rules about what happens when the riverine is dispelled? (High pressure water does...what?)

Curmudgeon
2013-12-15, 03:26 PM
A 090 Ask your DM.

Properties of any custom item are entirely at the discretion of each individual DM. The listed uses for riverine include armor, shields, walls, and containers (Stormwrack, page 128); a sphere is none of those. Most spells do not affect riverine, but Dispel Magic is not specifically mentioned. Again, ask your DM.

As for what happens when you destroy the force holding riverine in place: you get wet from the sudden rush of water. There is no other effect. To a very close approximation, liquids and solids do not change volume under pressure; thus there is very little expansion when pressurized liquid is released.

Thurbane
2013-12-15, 04:30 PM
Re-post for a new page:

Two questions about the Elemental Warrior PrC (Planar Handbook):

Q84

The Elemental Manifestation of an Air Elemental Warrior says "All ranged attacks against her have a 20% miss chance.". Would this include ranged touch attacks?

Q85

The Elemental Weapon allows her to "imbue any melee weapon she wields with the energy of her chosen element". In the case of a double weapon, would this apply to both ends, or would one end need to be specified?

questionmark693
2013-12-15, 05:27 PM
Q 91

If I am a swordsage, can I take Martial Study as my ninth level feat and choose Devoted Spirit to gain access to a fourth level or lower maneuver from that discipline, or is my initiator level halved because I'm not a crusader?

Dude_Here
2013-12-15, 05:55 PM
Q92

Am I right in assuming that a Bard cannot use a cure light wounds scroll made by a Cleric because it is Divine and not Arcane?

Also, would a wand of cure light wounds be usable by only a Divine caster or Arcane one depending on who made the item?

GreenSerpent
2013-12-15, 06:33 PM
Q82

If a Spellthief 1/Bard 9 has the feat Master Spellthief their Spellthief and Bard caster levels = 10 due to Master Spellthief, correct?

If that character then takes a level in Sublime Chord does the following happen?

Bard original caster level = 9
Spellthief original caster level = 1
Sublime Chord derived caster level = 10 (9 + 1)

BUT, quoting the Sublime Chord text:
"A sublime chord’s caster level for both her sublime chord spells and the spells she gains from other arcane spellcasting classes is determined by adding her sublime chord level to her level in another arcane spellcasting class."

Does that mean, according to the underlined text:

Sublime Chord derived caster level = 10
Therefore Bard & Spellthief derived caster levels = 10 each

Then Master Spellthief applies to give all classes a caster level of 10 + 10 + 10 = 30.

Is this correct?

Repost from another page.

unseenmage
2013-12-15, 06:41 PM
Q60
How does this line from the Awaken Sand spell in Sandstorm work in situations where a Spell Clock (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070312a) is casting the spell?

Q61
If a Runic Guardian is using it's SLA for the spell?

Q62
If an Intelligent Magic Item is using using it's ability to activate it's own powers for the spell?

Reposting. I tried asking this question in it's own thread but was misunderstood.
I suspect now that the answer has to do with whether the original spellcaster has to make the save in order to imbue the spell. If that is the case then I suspect that the later iterations of the spell from items or a Construct do not require it.
I believe the folk here in the RAW Q&A thread to still be my best hope for a rules based answer.

Curmudgeon
2013-12-15, 10:08 PM
A 92 Yes; no.

Scrolls are typed: arcane/divine. A Bard can only use arcane scrolls.

Wands are not typed. A Bard can use a wand of Cure Light Wounds (or any other spell on their class list) regardless of whether the creator was an arcane or divine spellcaster.

Qc Storm
2013-12-15, 11:40 PM
Q93

About Animate Dead. What is the strongest undead I can raise using this spell? I used to think its base HD needed to be under (or equal) your caster level. But recent reading seems to indicate it is DOUBLE that. Please clarify.

BONUS QUESTION. If I have a bonus caster level to Necromancy spells (Spellgifted), would it apply to Fell Animate? (Which raises "as" Animate dead)

Q94

If someone is invisible, and a monster attempts to move through that person's square, not knowing an invisible person is there. What happens? Is the creature simply prevented from passing? Does it pinpoint the location? Does it end the move action? Can the player "avoid" the move and allow it to pass?

Curmudgeon
2013-12-16, 12:51 AM
A 094
Moving through a Square

Friend
You can move through a square occupied by a friendly character, unless you are charging. When you move through a square occupied by a friendly character, that character doesn’t provide you with cover.

Opponent
You can’t move through a square occupied by an opponent, unless the opponent is helpless. The invisible character determines what's possible: are they friendly or opposed to the moving creature? If they decide to be friendly, both characters are subject to the squeezing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm#squeezing) rules while sharing the space. If they decide they're opposed, the moving creature becomes aware that the space is occupied. At that time they have various options:

stop moving (and perhaps attack into the occupied square)
move elsewhere
if they have a standard action available, attempt to Overrun their unseen opponent

Chadamantium
2013-12-16, 02:44 AM
Q95 For high base attack bonus resulting in multiple attacks, do I roll for each attack?
The way my DM plays it(and taught us) is that you roll once and that accounts for your whole attack so if a guy has an attack bonus of 13/8/3 and rolled a 6 for his attack roll then his attack is 19/14/9. But lately, I've heard some conflicting information about and wanting to clarify

Andezzar
2013-12-16, 02:53 AM
A 95

You roll for each attack, no matter how you got it. Whether it's extra attacks from high BAB, Two-weapon Fighting, Haste or other abilities, you always roll once per attack not once per action.

Qc Storm
2013-12-16, 04:07 AM
Q95 For high base attack bonus resulting in multiple attacks, do I roll for each attack?
The way my DM plays it(and taught us) is that you roll once and that accounts for your whole attack so if a guy has an attack bonus of 13/8/3 and rolled a 6 for his attack roll then his attack is 19/14/9. But lately, I've heard some conflicting information about and wanting to clarify

Your critical hits must be pretty dang lethal.

Zaxus
2013-12-16, 05:52 AM
Q 96
Can Evard's Menacing Tentacles be used to grapple?
If so, is a character using them to grapple considered being in a grapple, taking all the penalties included from being in a grapple? Or is the tentacle the one considered doing the grappling?

Q 97
Is Improved Grab required in order to establish a hold on a creature with only one limb at a -20 to the grapple check, or can any creature capable of grappling do this?

Q 98
If Evard's Menacing Tentacles can be used to grapple:
If a character has a broad version of Improved Grab, such as from the Bear Spirit Totem barbarian alternate class feature from Complete Champion, can they use it to establish a hold at -20 using just one of the tentacles from an Evard's Menacing Tentacles spell?

Curmudgeon
2013-12-16, 08:10 AM
A 096 No.
Each round as a free action, starting on the turn when you cast the spell, you can direct each tentacle to attack one opponent within reach.
Grapple Checks

Repeatedly in a grapple, you need to make opposed grapple checks against an opponent. A grapple check is like a melee attack roll. Evard’s Menacing Tentacles specifically can be used to make attacks; they have no capability to make grapple checks instead of attacks.

A 097 Yes.

This capability is only listed for the Improved Grab special ability, and not in the regular Grapple combat rules.

A 098 N/A.

Tryxx
2013-12-16, 09:40 AM
Q 99

Is it possible to use Teleport Object to teleport a mundanely crafted, unlocked, nonmagical door off it's hinges?

If so, if the door is locked under the following conditions, does it count as "attended" and get a saving throw, and if so based on what?

Mundane Lock
Mundane Trap
Arcane Lock
Spell Trap

Curmudgeon
2013-12-16, 10:56 AM
A 099 No.

If something is not a creature, is solid (not liquid or gas), and can be moved independently, it's a D&D object. A door that's attached to a structure isn't independently movable. You can't target just one plank of a door, or a door attached to a wall; you first need to separate what you want to make it a targetable object.

Yvanehtnioj
2013-12-16, 01:44 PM
Q100
The Cleric spell, "Holy Star," in Spell Compendium p. 115, does not list a quantity for spell resistance. So, spell resistance, yes or no?
(I know the saving throw value is not listed either, but it would probably be, "None," as it is cast on oneself.)

Q101
What guideline is there concerning when a spell in a printed book does not list a saving throw or spell resistance?
I know to check for errata, but besides that I am wondering.

Thank you.

KillianHawkeye
2013-12-16, 02:33 PM
A 100 Spells that only target the caster do not have an entry for saving throw or spell resistance. Neither one applies.

If the target of a spell is yourself (the spell description has a line that reads Target: You), you do not receive a saving throw, and spell resistance does not apply. The Saving Throw and Spell Resistance lines are omitted from such spells.

Nirhael
2013-12-16, 04:55 PM
Q 102

With a Spiked Chain, can you spend the Shadowstrike (MiC) enhancement's daily use to make a touch (trip) attack?

Fairly certain the answer is yes, just want to be 100% sure.

Andezzar
2013-12-16, 05:20 PM
A 102

Yes.

Rossebay
2013-12-16, 05:39 PM
Q 103
I remember that, a few characters ago, I had this demonic cohort that had a PrC that allowed it to possess things--including me--and buff or debuff them, control objects from a distance or something...

Anyway, I know it's a prestige class, but I can't find it. Does anyone know what book it was in/remember anything similar to that?

Sith_Happens
2013-12-16, 06:02 PM
A 103

Fiend of Possession, in Fiend Folio.

Q 104

Which magic item slot does a coat or jacket occupy?

KillianHawkeye
2013-12-16, 06:15 PM
A 104

Coats and jackets are not specifically mentioned in the "Magic Items on the Body" listing in the DMG.

The most likely answer would be that they count the same as a shirt, and take up the torso slot. Alternatively, it's possible something like a long coat might be more likely to use the body slot, like an armor or robe. Neither one are similar enough to a cape or cloak to use the shoulders slot, and none of the other slots are even remotely close.

In the end (unless someone can find a published magic item described as a coat or jacket), it's really something that is up to the DM to decide as a part of the approval process for custom magic items.

Curmudgeon
2013-12-16, 06:17 PM
A 104 Torso.

Evidence: the Surcoat of Valor in Magic Item Compendium, page 139.

KillianHawkeye
2013-12-16, 06:36 PM
A 104 Torso.

Evidence: the Surcoat of Valor in Magic Item Compendium, page 139.

I just feel I should point out that a surcoat is much more similar to a long vest or tabard than it is to either a coat or a jacket.

Curmudgeon
2013-12-16, 06:45 PM
I just feel I should point out that a surcoat is much more similar to a long vest or tabard than it is to either a coat or a jacket.

surcoat
-noun

1. a garment worn over medieval armor, often embroidered with heraldic arms.
2. an outer coat or other outer garment.
Any outer garment sized to be worn over bulky inner layers (whether armor or clothing) fits the common meaning of "coat".

Chronos
2013-12-16, 06:56 PM
A 104 continued:

There's also the Magnificent Captain's Coat, from Stormwrack, and subject of one of the more amusing pairs of typoes in D&D. The entry for the coat says to "Threat the coast as a shirt" (and obviously meant to say "Treat the coat as a shirt").

Rossebay
2013-12-16, 08:26 PM
Q 105
Level 1 Ranger. I don't want track. What do I do to get rid of it? ACF's/Substitution levels anywhere? I must be looking in the wrong places.

Heliomance
2013-12-16, 08:46 PM
Q 105
Level 1 Ranger. I don't want track. What do I do to get rid of it? ACF's/Substitution levels anywhere? I must be looking in the wrong places.

A 105
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7908

Thurbane
2013-12-16, 09:21 PM
A 105
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7908
A 105

Looks like your only options are to swap it for Trapfinding, or for Urban Tracking.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-12-16, 09:55 PM
Q 106

What happens if you have both a Doomstrike weapon (CoR) and Combat Brute (CW) and you sunder a weapon? Do you get two bonus attacks?

Curmudgeon
2013-12-16, 11:18 PM
A 106 Yes.

If you've paid the price in both necessary feats and weapon enhancements, you get the benefits.

Eaglejarl
2013-12-17, 04:42 PM
Q107.1

For Wizards, what are the minimum XP totals for level 15, 16, 17, 18, and 19? (I don't own the books.)

Q107.2
Am I correct that gaining a negative level immediately sets your XP to the midpoint of the previous level? Or does this only happen once you fail your Fort save and the negative level becomes permanent?

Q107.3
Restoration will give you the minimum number of XP to reach the next level. Am I correct that it does not actually put you at that level, it just gives you sufficient XP? So, an opportunity to level would need to come along, you couldn't actually regain the level at some arbitrary moment? If so, that would mean that a negative level suffered in combat cannot be recovered until after the battle.

Eaglejarl
2013-12-17, 04:54 PM
Q108:

I frequently see the terms 'OP' and 'TO' bandied about here. What are they? OP == "Over Powered", maybe? TO == ...?

Edit: Sorry, as pointed out this was somewhat off scope for this thread. I asked because these terms get used a lot in rules discussions.

Andezzar
2013-12-17, 05:02 PM
A 107

1) The same as for everybody else. The table is not open content so I cannot show it here. The table is in the PHB on p. 22

2) Negative Levels (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#energyDrainAndNegativeLevels) don't do anything to your XP total, they are just a debuff. Some abilities however can turn negative levels into Level Loss (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#levelLoss).

3) Restoration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/restoration.htm) restores a lost level. No need to level up later. Also the only way to delay leveling up, once you have the required XP is to expend those XP on crafting or similar abilities.

A 108

Actually that question is beyond the scope of this thread as they are not rules terms.
Depending on context OP can mean overpowered or original post(er)
TO is theoretical optimization.

Curmudgeon
2013-12-17, 05:04 PM
A 107.1

This information isn't available under the Open Gaming License. You can find it in Player's Handbook on page 22.

A 107.2 No.

Negative levels do not cause XP change immediately. You can read more about negative levels here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_negativelevel&alpha=N).

A 107.3 No.

No, you're not correct about the consequences of (re)gaining enough XP to gain a level; the level advancement happens immediately. Read the full details of Level Advancement in Player's Handbook on pages 58-59.

A 108

"OP" is as you've surmised; "TO" = Theoretical Optimization.

123456789blaaa
2013-12-17, 05:28 PM
Q 109

In the 3.5 update booklet for the MMII, Grell are given an LA of +4. In Lords of Madness though, they're give an LA of +6. Which is correct?

KillianHawkeye
2013-12-17, 06:34 PM
A 109

Lords of Madness is the later publication, and an actual 3.5 book to boot, so it should take precedence over 3.0 sources like MM2.

Yvanehtnioj
2013-12-17, 10:24 PM
Q104
When you use the 'Fire Bolt' application of the cleric spell, "Holy Star," does spell resistance apply to the target? (I think so, but am not sure.)

Thank you KillianHawkEye for answering my other question.
I thought of this afterwards.

Duke of Urrel
2013-12-17, 11:32 PM
According to the SRD:

"A fatigued character can neither run nor charge and takes a -2 penalty to Strength and Dexterity. Doing anything that would normally cause fatigue causes the fatigued character to become exhausted. After 8 hours of complete rest, fatigued characters are no longer fatigued."

Moreover:

"An exhausted character moves at half speed and takes a -6 penalty to Strength and Dexterity. After 1 hour of complete rest, an exhausted character becomes fatigued. A fatigued character becomes exhausted by doing something else that would normally cause fatigue."

So I would like to ask:

Q 110

Am I correct in assuming that the exhausted condition normally stacks with the fatigued condition? After all, becoming exhausted does not mean that you are no longer fatigued. So it seems to follow that:

1. You cannot run or charge while you are fatigued; therefore, you normally cannot run or charge while you are exhausted, either.

2. The -2 penalty to Strength and Dexterity imposed by fatigue is unnamed and does not disappear when you become exhausted; therefore, it should stack with the –6 penalty for exhaustion, which is also unnamed, bringing the total penalty to –8.

Am I right, or am I wrong?

Q 111

Considering this, what if I use magic to cause exhaustion, for example the Waves of Exhaustion spell? This is not the normal way to become exhausted, so perhaps if you are exhausted by magic, you are not also fatigued. So should I assume that someone who fails to save against the Waves of Exhaustion spell takes only a –6 penalty to Strength and Dexterity and can still run or charge (albeit at half speed)?

Or should I assume that magical exhaustion is the same as normal exhaustion, that is, effectively includes the fatigued condition?

Curmudgeon
2013-12-18, 02:17 AM
Q109½
When you use the 'Fire Bolt' application of the cleric spell, "Holy Star," does spell resistance apply to the target? (I think so, but am not sure.)
A 109½ No.

The spell does not specify "Spell Resistance: Yes", either in the original printing (Spell Compendium, page 115) or in the Errata file for that book.

Coldsturm
2013-12-18, 04:58 AM
Q 112

If I give an undead a bunch of holy arrows, would that lower the hit die due to the negative levels allowing me to rebuke it and potentially control it?

Curmudgeon
2013-12-18, 05:04 AM
A 112 No.
Holy

A holy weapon is imbued with holy power. ... It bestows one negative level on any evil creature attempting to wield it. Merely possessing Holy ammunition does nothing; it must be wielded. And unless the possessor is attempting to use an arrow as an improvised dagger-quality melee weapon, a bow is necessary to wield that arrow.

Coldsturm
2013-12-18, 05:13 AM
A 112 No. Merely possessing Holy ammunition does nothing; it must be wielded. And unless the possessor is attempting to use an arrow as an improvised dagger-quality melee weapon, a bow is necessary to wield that arrow.

Q 113

Say the undead was wielding a holy dagger then, would the negative level lower the hit die for the purposes of rebuking?

Q 114

When animating corpses, do the newly created undead keep any damage reduction from their former selves, such as if they had DR 10/Lawful, or DR 20/Good?

Curmudgeon
2013-12-18, 07:04 AM
A 113 Yes.
whenever the creature's level is used in a die roll or calculation, reduce it by one for each negative level

A 114 No.
Special Qualities

A skeleton loses most special qualities of the base creature. It retains any extraordinary special qualities that improve its melee or ranged attacks. A skeleton gains the following special qualities.
Damage Reduction (Ex): A skeleton has damage deduction 5/bludgeoning. Skeletons lack flesh or internal organs. A Skeleton loses its previous DR, and gains the listed DR.

broodax
2013-12-18, 11:10 AM
Q 110
You appear to be exactly correct by RAW.

Q 111
This also appears to be correct by RAW. There is nothing in the rules that states that you must be fatigued in order to be exhausted. This has the unfortunate and non-sensical consequence that you can run and charge while exhausted, but not fatigued.

Now, it is clear that the two are actually linked, few things in the game have rules that move you from one state to another, or allow one status to "stack" (it is not actually stacking) into another status. The spell descriptions that exhaust also often say that a successful save means that the target is "only fatigued" - they don't say "instead fatigued".

I would immediately accept an argument that they are not, therefore, meant to stack (i.e. by RAI), and in fact are mutually exclusive. And, that the exhausted condition should also prohibit running and charging.

Cruiser1
2013-12-18, 11:33 AM
Q115: My standard human casts Holy Transformation (SpC), which says "your creature type changes to Outsider (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#outsiderType) (archon, good, lawful)." Do I also get the (native (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#nativeSubtype)) subtype? It doesn't explicitly say so above, but then you should also get the "augmented (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#augmentedSubtype) humanoid" subtype, and it doesn't say that either.

In other words, is "native" a characteristic of the current species? That would suggest any Assimar or Tiefling, whether you are one in your unbuffed state or have polymorphed into one, is "Outsider (native)". Also any full Outsider, such as Angel or Fiend, whether you are one or have polymorphed into one, is non-native "Outsider". Or is "native" a characteristic of the unbuffed species, in which case any material plane character who becomes any Outsider (whether Aasimar or Angel) always gets "native".

Jormengand
2013-12-18, 12:16 PM
Q116: What is the Truespeak DC for the non-reversed version of Spell Rebirth? It doesn't actually target a creature, after all.

Chronos
2013-12-18, 12:55 PM
A 116: All utterances from the Lexicon of the Evolving Mind target creatures, whether that is apparent from the individual utterance description or not. In the case of Spell Rebirth, the creature is the caster of the spell that is being reborn, and so the DC is 15+twice the caster's CR or HD.

Jormengand
2013-12-18, 02:11 PM
A 116: All utterances from the Lexicon of the Evolving Mind target creatures, whether that is apparent from the individual utterance description or not. In the case of Spell Rebirth, the creature is the caster of the spell that is being reborn, and so the DC is 15+twice the caster's CR or HD.

Where is this actually said? And does that mean the caster has to be in the utterance's range?

StryderH
2013-12-18, 03:42 PM
117 Q I think

How does smite evil work? How much damage does it take? How does smite hit? Etc

yougi
2013-12-18, 03:55 PM
Q118

Aside from Cleric, is there another class (base or PrC) that grants divine casting that is not Cha-based AND can wear a breasplate (or full plate) while doing so?

Q119

Does a martial initiator's levels in an initiator class count towards the pre-requisites for the Martial Study/Stance feat for a discipline the class doesn't give access to?

i.e. Could a Crusader 6 take Martial Stance to learn Assassin's Stance?

Andezzar
2013-12-18, 04:10 PM
A 117

As the PHB and the SRD dictate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/paladin.htm#smiteEvil). I really don't know what you want to know. Please clarify your question.

A 118 partial

All divine casters can wear armor. Only arcane casters suffer from arcane spell failure.

Druid (if the armor is not metal), paladin, ranger, blackguard, cloistered cleric, Ur-Priest just to name a few.

A 119

It is debatable if IL is taken into consideration at all with those two feats. If it is, unassociated levels only count half, so you would need crusader 10.

Q 120

Can a wizard with the Spontaneous Divination ACF and Detect Thoughts and See Invisibility in his spellbook qualify for the Fiend-Blooded PrC?

Q 121

To be considered a spontaneous arcane spellcaster do you only have to be able to cast one arcane spell spontaneously?

Meddling Mage
2013-12-18, 05:32 PM
Q 122
When I use the spell Memory Rot (Spell Compendium), can the target avoid the first d6 damage?

Curmudgeon
2013-12-18, 05:54 PM
A 122 Yes.

A successful Fortitude saving throw negates the effect of the spell.

Andezzar
2013-12-18, 06:20 PM
Q 123 (similar to Q 120)

Would a wizard with Spontaneous Divination qualify for Ultimate Magus? If So, what would the Caster Level be for a Wizard 5/Ultimate Magus 10?

Legendxp
2013-12-18, 06:41 PM
Q124: Are there any magic items that grant fast healing? If so, which sources are they in?

StryderH
2013-12-18, 11:11 PM
Q 117 clarification

Oh okay.. So... Smiting evil at level 1 just does 1 extra damage? :I

Obviously I don't understand the big deal about smiting evil then xP

unseenmage
2013-12-18, 11:21 PM
Q125

How could a creature created by a spell with a duration of "Permanent (D)" protect itself from being dispelled?

Is there a range limit or something for a spellcaster dispelling their spells?

Curmudgeon
2013-12-19, 12:19 AM
A 125
(D) Dismissible

If the Duration line ends with "(D)," you can dismiss the spell at will. You must be within range of the spell’s effect and must speak words of dismissal, which are usually a modified form of the spell’s verbal component. If the spell has no verbal component, you can dismiss the effect with a gesture. Dismissing a spell is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The range stipulated for the spell is also used for dismissing.

Andezzar
2013-12-19, 02:15 AM
A 117

At level one you add your CHA bonus to your attack roll and 1 to your damage.

Yes, it is pretty lackluster at level 1 (and does not get that much better later). There are some facts though:
- Due to the higher attack bonus you can do more damage from power attack without compromising your hit chance.
- You get a flat damage bonus (not extra dice) so that extra damage gets multiplied on a critical hit.

relytdan
2013-12-19, 09:34 AM
A 119

It is debatable if IL is taken into consideration at all with those two feats. If it is, unassociated levels only count half, so you would need crusader 10.

RE: A 119
the actual correct answer is this
(Tome of Battle p. 39)
look under
INITIATOR LEVEL
- MULTICLASS CHARACTERS - Look in this section
- Table 3–1: Highest-Level Maneuvers Known - look in this section

Andezzar
2013-12-19, 09:44 AM
RE: A 119
the actual correct answer is this
(Tome of Battle p. 39)
look under
INITIATOR LEVEL
- MULTICLASS CHARACTERS - Look in this section
- Table 3–1: Highest-Level Maneuvers Known - look in this sectionPage 39 only refers to gaining maneuvers through initiator classes, not through the Martial Study or Martial Stance Feats. Both say you can select any maneuver/stance for which you fulfill the prerequisite. Minimum IL is not part of the prerequisite section of any maneuver. Specific trumps general IMHO.

heavyfuel
2013-12-19, 11:18 AM
Q 126

Regarding Hank's Bow (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a)

So, it's a +2 longbow that can shoot arrows or energy missiles.

If I have a Str of 16 - If I shoot an arrow, will it deal 1d8+3+2 or 2d6+3+2?

With the same char, shooting an energy missile, will it deal 2d6+3+2, or will it be only 2d6+2?

Q 127

Somewhat related, since his bow is a unique weapon, can it be further upgraded with magic? Can I have, say, a +3 splitting flaming energy bow?

Andezzar
2013-12-19, 11:34 AM
A 126

It is unclear whether "that accommodates a user of any Strength." is supposed to mean that the wielder never gets a penalty no matter how low his STR is or that higher STR users also get a damage bonus. IMHO the high STR wielder should get the bonus, but that is not RAW.

If you shoot an arrow you will not get the 2d6, you get 1d8:"The bow can be used to fire normal or magic arrows, but in such cases the bow does not confer its damage due to force"

A 127

There is no rule against upgrading certain magic items, however the details how such an item is upgraded or created is up to the individual DM, as with all custom magic items.

ItWasFutile
2013-12-19, 12:47 PM
Q128

I know what the pricing is for a magic item that boosts a skill, but what are the requirements to make them, and where can I find the rules?

Andezzar
2013-12-19, 12:50 PM
A 128

If no other prerequisites are given, having Craft Wondrous Items is enough. For Custom Magic Items, ask your DM.

Sith_Happens
2013-12-19, 01:38 PM
Q 129

Does moving from a square with difficult terrain into a square without impose any sort of penalties?

Q 130

Can you five-foot step from a square with difficult terrain to one without?

Kred
2013-12-19, 01:54 PM
Q131
How to calculate challenge rating for druid's companion/cleric's undead army?

Jormengand
2013-12-19, 01:55 PM
A 129
No, unless the terrain in question specifies otherwise.

A 130
Yes, unless the terrain in question specifies otherwise.

Brackenlord
2013-12-19, 03:04 PM
Q 132

Invoke Magic (LoM) allows the use of up to a 4th level slot or up to a 4th level spell inside a dead magic area?

It lacks this line of clarification text that Arcane Fusion has: If applying a metamagic feat to a spell, use the adjusted spell level and casting time for purposes of determining eligibility for Arcane Fusion.

Curmudgeon
2013-12-19, 06:24 PM
A 132

Invoke Magic allows you to cast a spell if it takes a standard action and is of 4th level or lower. Metamagic feats adjust the spell level. For example, if you're adding Maximize Spell (+3 levels) then the original spell can be no higher than 1st level.

Thurbane
2013-12-19, 07:42 PM
Q131
How to calculate challenge rating for druid's companion/cleric's undead army?

A 131

A Druid's animal companion is part of his class features, and does not have a separate CR. Same holds true for familiars and monsters Summoned by spells.

Depends what you mean by "undead army" - assuming that it's undead commanded or created by the Cleric, then the CR of the undead is calculated normally.

AlanBruce
2013-12-19, 08:38 PM
Q.132

Can a spellcaster nauseated by the effects of a stinking cloud spell still use immediate spells and SLA?

TuggyNE
2013-12-19, 08:47 PM
A132: No, for two reasons.
Experiencing stomach distress. Nauseated creatures are unable to attack, cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention. The only action such a character can take is a single move action per turn.

Not only are they completely unable to concentrate, which is always required for spells and SLAs, they can take no actions at all besides move actions. As such, even if they had a swift action Su ability, they would be unable to use it.

Dr. Azkur
2013-12-19, 10:56 PM
Q133: How does Explosive Spell [Metamagic] (CArc) interact with different spell areas, such as 120ft. Line or the 10ft radius 30ft. tall Cylinder provided by Sculpt Spell (Also CArc)?

georgie_leech
2013-12-20, 12:00 AM
A133

The same as any other area, the target is moved to the closest edge of the area. As a result, most Line areas will move targets only slightly. The vertical portion of Cylinder areas may be relevant if the cylinder is wide but short, or in the case of flying targets.

Dalebert
2013-12-20, 12:09 PM
Q 134
If you have levels in a spontaneous casting class, thereby meeting the prereq for Versatile Spellcaster, but also have levels in a prepared casting class, are your prepared caster slots also eligible for being sacrificed to cast another spell you know?

Andezzar
2013-12-20, 12:37 PM
A 134

The rules don't limit it to spontaneously cast spells.

Q 135

Does the Spontaneous Divination ACF let you qualify for Versatile Spellcaster?

unseenmage
2013-12-20, 01:19 PM
Q136
If True Creation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/spells/trueCreation.htm) is used to make Shapesand (Sa), how many jugs of Shapesand does it make per CL?

Q137
What size category is a "Jug, clay (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm)"? Or better, how many cu. ft. does it occupy?

Curmudgeon
2013-12-20, 04:07 PM
A 136 N/A.
The caster creates a nonmagical, unattended object of any sort of matter.
Shapesand: Shapesand is a special kind of wasteland soil that is psychoreactive; it can be sculpted into any form according to your will.
Combining Psionic And Magical Effects

The default rule for the interaction of psionics and magic is simple: Powers interact with spells and spells interact with powers in the same way a spell or normal spell-like ability interacts with another spell or spell-like ability. This is known as psionics-magic transparency. Under psionics-magic transparency, psychic objects are magic objects. You cannot create Shapesand with True Creation.

Lothmar
2013-12-20, 04:32 PM
Q 138 - Im looking to beat face and deal good damage unarmed without having to be a high level monk. Is there a feat that allows monk levels and another class to stack for purposes of determining things like unarmed damage?

Curmudgeon
2013-12-20, 04:41 PM
A 138

Ascetic Hunter (Complete Adventurer) stacks Ranger and Monk levels for unarmed strike damage. Ascetic Rogue from the same book stacks Rogue and Monk levels for unarmed damage, and Ascetic Knight does the same for Paladin and Monk levels. Ascetic Stalker (Complete Scoundrel) stacks Ninja and Monk levels for unarmed strike damage.

Qc Storm
2013-12-20, 06:07 PM
A 138

There is also Tashalatora, that allows you to stack your psionic levels with a few monk things, including flurry of blows and unarmed damage. Very popular with psionic warriors.

Q 139

If a druid turns into a T-rex, swallows a guy, and changes back to normal form, what happens to the victim?

Q 140

Are swallowed targets considered grabbed or grappled? (-20 penalty or not)

Curmudgeon
2013-12-20, 06:24 PM
A 139 Ask your DM.

The swallowed victim could end up amidst the remains of a burst Druid, or whatever else your DM decides; this isn't covered by the RAW.

A 140
A swallowed creature is considered to be grappled, while the creature that did the swallowing is not. A swallowed creature can try to cut its way free with any light slashing or piercing weapon (the amount of cutting damage required to get free is noted in the creature description), or it can just try to escape the grapple. ... If the swallowed creature escapes the grapple, success puts it back in the attacker’s mouth, where it may be bitten or swallowed again. The swallowed victim is considered grappled, but there's no "-20 penalty"; instead, it's limited to the actions allowed while grappled.

Qc Storm
2013-12-20, 06:27 PM
Q 140

The Nature Warrior's ability, Serpent's Coil, allows it to deal bonus damage when winning grapple checks, similar to Constrict. However, it is not called as such. Would this damage stack, assuming a creature that already has constrict?

Q 141

Many monsters have abilities and poisons with a static DC, most of the time working off CON, unless I am mistaken, such beasts also add half their HD to this DC.

If a druid takes the form of this monster, would the druid's Hit Dice improve the DC?

kkplx
2013-12-20, 07:02 PM
Q 142

Is there a gaze attack that is not an antimagic field (aka not a beholder) that suppresses certain spells and forces creatures to assume their natural form?

Piggy Knowles
2013-12-20, 07:18 PM
Q 143: Is there any magical enhancement that can be applied to a weapon that keeps it from being destroyed when sundered or otherwise broken? (I am already aware of riverine from Stormwrack.)

relytdan
2013-12-20, 07:47 PM
Q 144
Question spoiled - IC chefs/judges please ignore

Einherjar d&d update book page 11, Deity and demigods page 199

there is not one mention of a LA for this - the update book has this as an acquired template.

Presuming the good alignment and class requirements are met...

Question: is this a playable template ?
Question: can any other race be used other than the listed dwarf, elf or human ?

Curmudgeon
2013-12-20, 08:48 PM
A 141 No.
The creature gains the natural weapons, natural armor, movement modes, and extraordinary special attacks of its new form. You get exactly what is stated for the assumed form. A Druid deciding to turn into either a Small or Medium Viper Snake (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/snake.htm#viperSnake) would get a different poison DC depending on which size Viper Snake form they assumed. There is no provision for adjusting the DC based on the Druid's characteristics rather than the form's characteristics.

qwertyu63
2013-12-20, 08:50 PM
Q 145:

Is access to epic feats based on character level or ECL? E.g. could a character with 18 levels and an LA of +4 take an epic feat?