PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #270 - The Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

rosebud
2006-01-24, 04:36 PM
we have with us in the studio today (...) Professor Thog (esq).Awww, cute! :)

I hope Rich can post soon before we have to call in the jendarme to quell the riots that are threatening to erupt here!Nah, I think they've already happened. Things have been very amicable lately. :) :D ;) ;D

For everyone still drooling on their keyboards waiting for the new OOTS episodeWhat's amusing to me is this morning I dreamt directly and indirectly about the strip.

The direct: I actually saw the next strip. Unfortunately, I didn't read the text or see the end panel. But some of the drawings were really cool.

The indirect: I had a later dream involving a trial of 300,000 people along with the heros in a quasi-Azuresque complex and action and chase scenes with a dramatic ending.

She kicked the crap outta Belkar while she was fending off most of the OOTS, Smiting his ass will be a walk in the park now that he's in the open.She (actually literally) kiced the crap outta them when The Story dictated that she do so. So she will or won't do what The Story requires. Belkar already acknowledged that she beat him in a one-on-one fight in the open, thus his current tactics. She's currently occupied with fire, and Belkar can move and hide, so I wouldn't assume that he's out in the open at the moment. Again, The Story will do what it does, and we are not its Creator.

Please. He took the restraining order out to deliberately antagonize her.You deleted the sentence where I agreed with you: "She frustrated him and unnerved him, but I guess torment was a bit much." It was in between the sentences you quoted. It's not really fair to make a critique, have me agree with your critique, and then criticize me for not agreeing with it. :D The followup comments were along the lines of, "Gosh, he did have some really cute strips, didn't he?" And since we don't have a new strip to read, we're stuck with reruns. :) (Speaking of reruns, I really love that one "screw it" panel where it sets the tent on fire. It's so darn cute.) I also agree that he did the order to antagonize her, but I think Windstriker can handle his own. The conspiracy theorist would argue that since lawyers are evil, plotting evil versus evil is a net win. :)

Gralamin
2006-01-24, 04:42 PM
hmm i think this topic will be closed, we have 51 pages...

moryath
2006-01-24, 04:50 PM
I don't think that's valid, it's a valid topic until he posts strip #271.

Joe_Schmoe
2006-01-24, 04:53 PM
Yep. Looks like we're here 'til Wednesday...

Silfir
2006-01-24, 04:53 PM
First off...I didn't laugh at this strip. But somehow it is my favorite.

The current Belkar plotline is proof that The Giant is not just a funny guy, but a comic artist. I have honestly felt little pangs of fear and horror at the actions of our favorite halfling. I don't hate Miko, but I don't really like her at all. And yet I feel incredible pity, and almost sadness for her.

Even if she is only taking 1d6 damage, this situation must be looked at beyond rules. This is a situation that contains so much real emotion and conflict, I cannot do it justice.

Miko won't let Belkar go. Belkar won't be captured. They are opposite in so many ways. Evil vs. Good. Chaos vs. Order. Freedom vs. Control. Tall vs. Short. If you look back, it couldn't have ended any other way.

I'm sure I know people who could intelligently disect this for hours. Let it be known that Rich Burlew may never get the credit he deserves as a story teller.

He could even be compared to Shakespeare. He has got slapstick and fighting and boob jokes for the (no offense to anyone) less intelligent, and multi-dimensional characters and plots for the higherbrows out there.

Congratulations Rich. You have definetly succeded at comedy, the hardest of all entertainment forms. You have also invoked emotions in this reader that have changed the way I will write from now on.

How did i *miss* that? That's what we should be talking about - the strip!

Page 12? The post that said it all was on page 12 already?

We need this thread to end, I'm afraid.

Reaver225
2006-01-24, 04:55 PM
But then we wouldn't have the longest thread about a strip then!

We're spammin.., er writing as fast as we can!! :P

*Hugs*
Varia
Yay, I'm contributing!
Also: (continued from before) What's in the boxes?

mastroyo
2006-01-24, 04:57 PM
We will be amonested, though. Is that a word?

I think we can do something extra here, to spice it up... so, here are my questions... new and special ones...

Is Miko going to kill Belkar?
Is Varsuvius Male or Female?
Is Haley going to tell Elan how she feels?
;D

How about a 101 Most Discussed Topics of OotS?

DON'T! I WAS ONLY JOKING! :-X :-[

Buzzaro
2006-01-24, 04:58 PM

Let not your heart be troubled... The thread will not need to close once "The Creator" Posts the message "OOTS #271 - The Discussion Thread". Then this thread would have lived out its useful life and would slowly fade way into the background. to sleep ten thousand years to come back as "OOTS #270 - The Discussion ThreaHULHU"

Zargon
2006-01-24, 05:08 PM
Is Belkar using a skill with his voice? Miko can't tell at all which direction he is speaking from (daggers are always from max flank positions)- Belkar appears to be leading her into a trap. Plus when Miko attacks the dummy (what skill is that?), then throws the match, it is from behind.
The sake seems to have doused her rage - the 10 slide she looks confused, and the 11 slide she looks sad. Perhaps she is realizing that she isn't totally assured of winning anymore.

soozenw
2006-01-24, 05:09 PM
to sleep ten thousand years to come back as "OOTS #270 - The Discussion ThreaHULHU"

oh god that's great. and to show you how great that really is...i snorted i was laughing so hard at that...i only snort when something is truly funny. ;D

nuance
2006-01-24, 05:10 PM
Not quite. Normally, while OotS is far too short, I get on with life until the next fragment of story is revealed. The jokes usually make me laugh or smile, but sometimes a strip isn't meant to be funny (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=56).

I laughed at that. It is at the least moderately amusing. For similar reasons that Miko being lit up is amusing. No doubt if I actully saw either happen in real life that wouldn't be amusing, but in this comic it is IMO.

zibeck
2006-01-24, 05:11 PM
Thankfully I got Dragon yesterday. Otherwise, I'd be going through withdrawl right now.

Wait a min, I'm still going through withdrawl.

I NEEDS ME OOTS!

saile
2006-01-24, 05:25 PM
First off...I didn't laugh at this strip. But somehow it is my favorite.

The current Belkar plotline is proof that The Giant is not just a funny guy, but a comic artist. I have honestly felt little pangs of fear and horror at the actions of our favorite halfling. I don't hate Miko, but I don't really like her at all. And yet I feel incredible pity, and almost sadness for her.

Even if she is only taking 1d6 damage, this situation must be looked at beyond rules. This is a situation that contains so much real emotion and conflict, I cannot do it justice.

Miko won't let Belkar go. Belkar won't be captured. They are opposite in so many ways. Evil vs. Good. Chaos vs. Order. Freedom vs. Control. Tall vs. Short. If you look back, it couldn't have ended any other way.

I'm sure I know people who could intelligently disect this for hours. Let it be known that Rich Burlew may never get the credit he deserves as a story teller.

He could even be compared to Shakespeare. He has got slapstick and fighting and boob jokes for the (no offense to anyone) less intelligent, and multi-dimensional characters and plots for the higherbrows out there.

Congratulations Rich. You have definetly succeded at comedy, the hardest of all entertainment forms. You have also invoked emotions in this reader that have changed the way I will write from now on.

Hmmm... which multi-dimensional characters would they be... I mean, apart from the creature of Law and Good...

Sorry, I couldn't resist the temptation. I also, on purpose, included the entire original post, so that you can all see the complete and utter perversion of a serious topic that is this post. I apologize, and I am ready to face my punishment

abc.d
2006-01-24, 05:25 PM
Anyone else remembers when there were only 2 strips a week, Tuesday and Thursday? I think the giant just follows the old schedule again, or it's always 2 strips late, one omitted altogether..bah ;x

Amalthea
2006-01-24, 05:26 PM
I laughed at that. It is at the least moderately amusing. For similar reasons that Miko being lit up is amusing. No doubt if I actully saw either happen in real life that wouldn't be amusing, but in this comic it is IMO.
Please enlighten me then, on what is funny about the strip I linked?

I mean, you have the OotS and the LG, they've reached the amulet, there's a spatter of the normal mildly humorous banter between the various characters, it all feels like it's winding up to some punchline or other and you're just starting to smile in anticipation of said punchline...

...and instead Nale stabs Elan. On screen.

How is it possibly funny?

Ilaun_Undil
2006-01-24, 05:28 PM
Well I'm just going to point out that after this thread I'm glad Belkar is on the OOTS side. I would have to fear for therest of the OOTS if he wasn't. with a crafty brain such as his, it would be scary to face. Miko is toasted... (bad Pun) However I hope that there isn't black powder in the storage area. Belkar might not have found it, because of a bad spot check.
Wonder what they eat is Azure City? I don't have bardic knowledge yet :(

WOOT 52!! (this has been an edit, not a test of the editing system.)

Darius Midnite
2006-01-24, 05:29 PM
Hmmm this is sooo stony..
8)

Mal_the_Mad
2006-01-24, 05:34 PM
Nooo!!! don't close the thread its fun. Go Belkar!!

ok on a further note, the whole good vs evil thing is interesting. that is all continue ranting.

Leveller
2006-01-24, 05:40 PM
Actually this topic can continue even after 171 is posted, they don't get closed until after two more comics, they just get unstickied.

theKOT
2006-01-24, 05:40 PM
Nooo!!! don't close the thread its fun. Go Belkar!!

ok on a further note, the whole good vs evil thing is interesting. that is all continue ranting.
The ranting died down when aaron exploded. Almost literally. Now off-topicness is rampant and the mods have tried whacking this thread straight, but the topics have been mostly restated to the point where it's... gasp.... no longer interesting. So I'll ask an easy question that has been bugging me for a while: why is one of miko's swords shorter than the other? Is it a special type of weapon setup that gives a +2 accuracy remogifier or summat?

sniffles
2006-01-24, 05:45 PM
The ranting died down when aaron exploded. Almost literally. Now off-topicness is rampant and the mods have tried whacking this thread straight, but the topics have been mostly restated to the point where it's... gasp.... no longer interesting. So I'll ask an easy question that has been bugging me for a while: why is one of miko's swords shorter than the other? Is it a special type of weapon setup that gives a +2 accuracy remogifier or summat?

Assuming that she has the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, if she uses a light weapon in her off hand she incurs a lesser attack penalty for fighting with two weapons. Without TWF the penalty would be -4/-10. With TWF it is reduced to -2/-2, as long as she only has a light weapon in her off hand.
:)

The_Werebear
2006-01-24, 05:46 PM
Sort of. It is -4/-4 with TWF and two medium weapons, but only -2/-2 if your off hand weapon is light.

Katana and Wakisazshi(SP?) appear to be doing that for her.

Darius Midnite
2006-01-24, 05:49 PM
*Yawn*
Aaaaand i'm gone..

theKOT
2006-01-24, 05:49 PM
Sort of. It is -4/-4 with TWF and two medium weapons, but only -2/-2 if your off hand weapon is light.

Katana and Wakisazshi(SP?) appear to be doing that for her.

So a Katana and a Wakisazshi do it for her? Interesting.... where might I acquire these items, good sir?;)
Seriously, thanks for the explanations guys.

rosebud
2006-01-24, 05:51 PM
Fighting with honour may well involve failing. If you fight with honour willingly and know you'll fail, because of the honour, you fail willingly. It's simple logic.The claim "know you'll fail" is not correct, so the conclusion does not follow. You fight with honor and the belief you can win. Heck, there's even cases where the people didn't think they could win (think of Return of the King), still fought honorably, and won. In the case we were discussing, Miko expected to defeat the Ogres, but she also did what she considered to be honorable.

I don't recall anything to that effect.[/qupte]We're talking about Miko. Miko is a paladin. The discussion was about paladins. QED.

[quote]If their being equipped was the forseeable consequence of your decision, I'm afraid it is.It's a possible outcome, but not necessarly a probable one.

If you are suggesting you can decide, spontaneously, to have better people skills, you are wrong. Not a *tactical* error. A weakness, yes.What do you consider to be tactics and a tactical error? Deciding when to engage or not engage in battle is a tactical decision, not just a personality trait. Having your troops attack you is not generally considered to be a good thing. She was even warned about the problem and she chose to ignore it, calling it a "class feature". Also, weaknesses can cause tactical errors. Keep in mind that I consider the final battle to be a setup. But even the first battle was a conscious decision that ended up sabotaging the mission from the start. Had the group been what she thought they were, it might have been appropriate tactics. Had she parlayed longer, they probably could have done it without any conflict. It was a matters of tactics.

Miko appears to be having enough trouble versus those stealth checks without having to babysit. (In fairness, it probably was just pride.)Shucks, you finally acknowledge that she committed the sin of pride and made a mistake. Maybe this argument is worth it. :)

Exactly. It may be better to allow the hostage die than reward the bandits for their villainy. What are you arguing for here?That short-term actions done for Good are not necessarily Good in the long term. So there's no clear-cut case of expedient good being the best route. Make sense?

Amalthea
2006-01-24, 05:51 PM
You deleted the sentence where I agreed with you: "She frustrated him and unnerved him, but I guess torment was a bit much." It was in between the sentences you quoted. It's not really fair to make a critique, have me agree with your critique, and then criticize me for not agreeing with it. :D The followup comments were along the lines of, "Gosh, he did have some really cute strips, didn't he?" And since we don't have a new strip to read, we're stuck with reruns. :) (Speaking of reruns, I really love that one "screw it" panel where it sets the tent on fire. It's so darn cute.) I also agree that he did the order to antagonize her, but I think Windstriker can handle his own. The conspiracy theorist would argue that since lawyers are evil, plotting evil versus evil is a net win. :)

I actually quoted your entire comment (the part directed to me,anyway). I doublechecked it just now. I didn't ignore it. In fact, here it is again, for your benefit:

Hmm. That is a good point. She frustrated him and unnerved him, but I guess torment was a bit much. But, he did have to take out a restraining order (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=228). :) Panels 4 and 8 of that strip are so precious. Sad Miko and innocent-style happy Belkar. Shocked Miko and demonically happy Belkar.
You agreed with me. And then you said 'but he did have to take out a restraining order.' The word 'but' is used to indicate an exception that is made, in this case, Belkar's procurement of a restraining order.

You stated an exception in my critique to the act of Belkar getting a restraining order, indicating that you disagreed with me and instead felt that Miko did harass Belkar to the extent that it forced Belkar to have her restrained. I disagreed

You want to talk unfair criticism, how about your criticizing me on the grounds that I criticized your agreement with me, when I didn't criticize your agreement, only your stated exception to that agreement?

...Man I read that last sentence and even my brain hurts.

Starbuck_II
2006-01-24, 05:55 PM

I mean, you have the OotS and the LG, they've reached the amulet, there's a spatter of the normal mildly humorous banter between the various characters, it all feels like it's winding up to some punchline or other and you're just starting to smile in anticipation of said punchline...

Funny:
"Look exactly the freakin' same" comment by belkar. This is because it was obvious lol. Obvious things can be funny.

Ugh. Coup De Grace me now, please" by Haley. This is because she used game words.

"Get a room" by the kobold is kinda funny.

The stabbing wasn't funny. more foreshadowing.

Correct, the last scene isn't funny, but why should it have to be?

Joe_Schmoe
2006-01-24, 05:57 PM
Ok, now my head is going to explode...
Great, now I might have to actually go back and read all 52 pages of off-topic rambling and breaking 3 years of jumping into the middle of threads. You evil facist! : P

EDIT: W00t! post 777 :D

theKOT
2006-01-24, 06:02 PM
EDIT: W00t! post 777 :D
Lucky dog! But I got # 500 so nyah :P

Gnomestress
2006-01-24, 06:03 PM
Perhaps this scarring event will cause Miko to become a new villan? I know I'd love to see that. Then I'd have a better reason to hate her guts!

Burn baby burn!

Zargon
2006-01-24, 06:09 PM
Is Belkar using a skill with his voice? Miko can't tell at all which direction he is speaking from (daggers are always from max flank positions)- Belkar appears to be leading her into a trap. Plus when Miko attacks the dummy (what skill is that?), then throws the match, it is from behind.
The sake seems to have doused her rage - the 10 slide she looks confused, and the 11 slide she looks sad. Perhaps she is realizing that she isn't totally assured of winning anymore.
Looks like my attempt to get back to talking about the strip got a critical miss... kind of like the spot check http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=3

Joe_Schmoe
2006-01-24, 06:11 PM
When people start posting about slightly random comics, you know a thread is just a tad too old :P

On Topic: I don't think Miko would ever become a full villian. However, I wouldn't be surprised if she was somehow driven completely insane and began doing evil type things.

Or maybe I should just stop watching so many soap operas...

Kefka
2006-01-24, 06:11 PM
I believe that the Giant has unfortunately deceased, and is unable to follow up. We will live the rest of our lives, burning with mental anguish for the possibilities of this incredible battle between Belkar and Miko.

P.S. I hope Belkar Wins

P.P.S. First post BTW.

Joe_Schmoe
2006-01-24, 06:16 PM
Well then, welcome to the club of people who have registered and posted for the first time today and on this thread.

*gives him a cookie and a badge*

I can teach you the secret handshake later.

As for the almighty Giant, He's just at a convention.

Marscon in Williamsburg VA, to be specific. And unless they eat him alive, which is rumoured to be what goes on at conventions like these, he'll be back.

rosebud
2006-01-24, 06:20 PM
Just be be clear, comparing OotS to Babylon 5 is the absolute highest praise I can give this style of storytelling. It even outranks Firefly.Yes, I liked Firefly, but I prefer a Babylon 5 comparison -- that show lasted much, much longer. :D I don't want this strip ending prematurely.

Godhand
2006-01-24, 06:21 PM
Nothing brings out 'lurkers' like a possible deathmatch. In this case its Miko and Belkar. I'm sure many people came into the light after Roy and Xykon went at it, of course not as many people posted because the strip wasnt as popular back then, but its still relative.

Imagine what will happen if Elan and Nale go at it again... the population of the forum might double in a day.

EDIT: and just to stay on topic... go Miko? yay?

koran_the_archmage
2006-01-24, 06:24 PM
hmmm... even though this might completely change the topic, does the strip 135 solve the discussion on V's gender?

You know.. the lady refers V. as being a SHE...

see ye

Buzzaro
2006-01-24, 06:25 PM
When people start posting about slightly random comics, you know a thread is just a tad too old

Do not be overly concerned for it has been foretold by the prophet Buzzaro

... once "The Creator" Posts the message "OOTS #271 - The Discussion Thread". Then this thread would have lived out its useful life and would slowly fade way into the background; to sleep ten thousand years to come back as "OOTS #270 - The Discussion ThreaHULHU"

So it is written; so shall it be done!

I should know I am that a non-profit prophet.
"OOTS #270 - The Discussion ThreaHULHU" SHALL RISE ONCE MORE MORE POWERFULL THAN EVER BEFORE!

Joe_Schmoe
2006-01-24, 06:26 PM
If Elan and Nale went at it again it would probably triple. Same if Xykon and Roy/someone else fought again.

As for Miko, I'm rooting for Belkar. Gotta like a pyromaniac :P

I have my own predictions for what will happen though. I should go post it in sealed predictions, I guess.

Amalthea
2006-01-24, 06:30 PM
Slightly more topical, who would have guessed that Miko would carry a pale blue hanky? That's rather more feminine than I would have expected from her.

Joe_Schmoe
2006-01-24, 06:32 PM
Sorry for being so clueless, but where do we see her with a pale blue hanky?

And I'm not too surprised. It matches her cape :P

Leonson
2006-01-24, 06:34 PM
You know.. the lady refers V. as being a SHE...

I think it's hard for most people to tell the difference between a male and female elf without picking them up by the tail so to speak.

silent_bob
2006-01-24, 06:34 PM
i dont think it's a hanky but one of her 'paladin healing' abilities.

Landon_Fox
2006-01-24, 06:35 PM
My bad. I misread. Post deleted.

nuance
2006-01-24, 06:36 PM

I don't think I can explain how it's funny, either it amuses you or it doesn't. The stabbing is the punchline and I found it amusing. I didn't laugh out loud, but I did chuckle.

Pity we can't do polls on the site, I'm mildy interested if anyone else thought the stabbing was moderatly using.

Renloth
2006-01-24, 06:39 PM
I think she is refering to panel four. Though its not a hanky, but the bule of her Lay on Hands ability.

nightfire8199
2006-01-24, 06:39 PM
ummmm hmmm....i dont get how 135 tells us V's gender

Amalthea
2006-01-24, 06:43 PM
I think she is refering to panel four. Though its not a hanky, but the bule of her Lay on Hands ability.
That was what I was referring to. :-[ It didn't occur to me that it was a magic glow effect until you said so. :-[ again for good measure.

nuance
2006-01-24, 06:45 PM
Slightly more topical, who would have guessed that Miko would carry a pale blue hanky? That's rather more feminine than I would have expected from her.
I dont think it's a hanky but one of her 'paladin healing' abilities.

It took me a while to figure out what it was too, but yeah I reckon it's glowing blue like her smite evil does.

Joe_Schmoe
2006-01-24, 06:45 PM
Ah, ok, that makes sense. Come to think of it, it does resemble a hanky.

And I didn't think that the stab itself was funny, but I did think it was a great plot move/twist (does it count as a twist if it was expected?). Anyway, it was one of those cliffhanger type things, kind of like a "who shot JR" type moment...except we know who did it an why. And the wait wasn't as long, but it did feel like it.

EDIT: I changed my avatar. Now I don't look like Nightfire's evil twin : P

saile
2006-01-24, 06:46 PM
Ok, maybe I am alone with this...
but I just can't wait to get back to the trial.

It seems to me that most people are far more interested in the fight than the trial.

On a different note, I would like to join the group of people who joined today, in this thread.

Edit: I just noticed that this reply is number 800... My god, this is a long one

nuance
2006-01-24, 06:47 PM
ummmm hmmm....i dont get how 135 tells us V's gender

One panel from the end the female shop keeper refers to Vaarsuvius as "she".

rosebud
2006-01-24, 06:47 PM
For those of you who are interested but too lazy/not able to look it up, that encounter should have given Miko 21,600 XP if she was 12th level, or 12,600 XP if she was 14thTotal? Or each time? She defeated them twice.

We're spammin.., er writing as fast as we can!!Hey, I'm just trying to catch up. I've been in threads like this years ago. Fortunately, they eventually calm down.

'Sall I'm sayin'.Amusing reference (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=236). :)

Please enlighten me then, on what is funny about the strip I linked?Ironic humor. Dark humor. From the perspective of Nale, it was funny. His stupid, naive brother getting his unjust desserts after helping him achieve his nefarious goals.

The sake seems to have doused her rage - the 10 slide she looks confused, and the 11 slide she looks sad. Perhaps she is realizing that she isn't totally assured of winning anymore.I viewed it as pathos. It's a combination of no eyebrows (which indicates that rage), wet hair, and a downward face. It's one of my favorite (but saddest) Miko panels. (I also love the one where she sticks her landing (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=215), among others.) Wow, yay, I get to be talking about the artwork again. Thanks! :) :)

I actually quoted your entire comment:( I'm sorry, I didn't know how that happened. That was misidrected of me, and I apologize.

You agreed with me. And then you said 'but he did have to take out a restraining order.' The word 'but' is used to indicate an exception that is made, in this case, Belkar's procurement of a restraining order.That was meant partly seriously, partly jokingly. In some respects, I think that's how Belkar meant his restraining order. Yes, he did the class-action lawsuit to annoy Miko. But I think it's fair to say that he was on edge because of her. Yes, he viewed it as a challenge, but that doesn't mean he didn't need to pay greater attention because of her. I agreed that she did not torment him, but I though she did "frustrate and unnerve". As another example, regarding who tracked the ogres (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=213).

You stated an exception in my critique to the act of Belkar getting a restraining order, indicating that you disagreed with me and instead felt that Miko did harass Belkar to the extent that it forced Belkar to have her restrained. I disagreed.Unless you agree (at least in part) with the previous paragraph, I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this point. Fair enough?

Karkadinn
2006-01-24, 06:55 PM
That was what I was referring to. :-[ It didn't occur to me that it was a magic glow effect until you said so. :-[ again for good measure.

You can tell because it's the same color as Smite Evil's glow.
Which makes me wonder... in OotSverse, do paladins each have their own personal color code for their SFX, like the Jedi do with their lightsabers, or are ALL Smite Evils, Lay on Hands, etc, pale blue in color?
Suddenly I want to see a really macho, manly-man paladin who doesn't like to use his powers because the wussy light blue color annoys him.

PhoeKun
2006-01-24, 06:57 PM
Total? Or each time? She defeated them twice.

Darn it! I haven't been here long enough to get this sloppy! No, that's each time. So now she's 15th level regardless. Which doesn't give her much in the way of new special abilities, although it does mean a new feat.

Unless the plot dictates she not get any XP, in which case I've been wasting my time.

nuance
2006-01-24, 06:58 PM
You can tell because it's the same color as Smite Evil's glow.
Which makes me wonder... in OotSverse, do paladins each have their own personal color code for their SFX, like the Jedi do with their lightsabers, or are ALL Smite Evils, Lay on Hands, etc, pale blue in color?
Suddenly I want to see a really macho, manly-man paladin who doesn't like to use his powers because the wussy light blue color annoys him.

I assumed it was a saphire thing, most of their stuff is blue.

Joe_Schmoe
2006-01-24, 06:58 PM

Now that would be a cool strip idea : P

It's probably multi-coloured though. These kinds of things seem to work that way.

Godhand
2006-01-24, 07:04 PM
Wow off topic... but in answer to the color question I believe its based on the person. Nale, being part sorcerer, used a few spells and he had a yellow glow on his hands. Sam, also being a sorceress, used spells with a purple glow on her hands.

In response to the "Manly-man Paladin", just think if it was pink, the poor guy would never live it down.

Lady_Orc
2006-01-24, 07:08 PM
i dont think it's a hanky but one of her 'paladin healing' abilities.

Yes, it's the blue glow from her paladin healing spell.

Reaver225
2006-01-24, 07:11 PM
AHA! V has a pink magic glow... Is that effeminacy (sp?) signs of femaleness or possibly other traits... or am I just being biased against pink?

rosebud
2006-01-24, 07:14 PM
Well, it is the longest thread for a single comic, but the longest thread listed is May '05 with 868 posts. That's the one to beat! Mommy, are we there yet?
Mommy, are we there yet?
Now?
Now?
Are we there yet?
Can I go pee now?
Mommy, are we there yet?
Now?
Howabout now?
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............

I'm tired. Are we there yet?

Rei_Jin
2006-01-24, 07:14 PM
Nah, it's just the colour of her blue blood as it evaporates from the wound. She herself said she was a noble (Samurai are nobles, as per the Caste system)

Tharr
2006-01-24, 07:19 PM
The next comic should be one panel of a dead Miko and Belkar dancing on her flaming dead corpse.

Joe_Schmoe
2006-01-24, 07:20 PM
I think I know why V's glows are pink...

Miko-Blue Cape-Light Blue Glow
V-Red robes-light red(kinda : P) glow

Walter
2006-01-24, 07:23 PM
I got to level with you all. I didn't read all the pages :-X, only up to about 3 or 4, so some of this stuff was probably already covered. First off, I'd like to express my unbridled joy in reading this comic (see my signature to relate). Second, a thought about Miko: she is seriously up tight and yes, I would like to see her injured, and yes, having Belkar be the one to do it great. So thirdly, this was by far my favorite OOTS ever except for maybe the immortal quote, "Run my little chunks of XP," or his personal history in the second book.

Congratz on #270 and /cheer

Joe_Schmoe
2006-01-24, 07:26 PM
My personal favourite quote would have to be the "Evilgasm" quote made by Xykon. It was just such an instant classic...

armatil
2006-01-24, 07:27 PM
AHA! V has a pink magic glow... Is that effeminacy (sp?) signs of femaleness or possibly other traits... or am I just being biased against pink?
i think it's pink just because it goes best with his/her clothes... i agree that it is in favor of the belief that V is female, but it is, as always, inconclusive.

edit: eek, talk about slow replies.

Tharr
2006-01-24, 07:28 PM
I think it was funny now Miko has burnt panties Belkar should be very happy.

Walter
2006-01-24, 07:30 PM
My personal favourite quote would have to be the "Evilgasm" quote made by Xykon. It was just such an instant classic...

Yea, that was up in my top ten too, along with "I just regenerated a finger, guess which one" ;D

dragon95046
2006-01-24, 07:30 PM

V is an elf so effeminancy is appropriate regardless of gender. :P

Reborn
2006-01-24, 07:32 PM

"Sacrificing minions... is there anything it *Can't* solve?!"

Aaah genius, that's the next on my t-shirt list. The last (and first) one I bought was of Roy staring down at Belkar - "Your approval fills me with shame!"

Adeptus
2006-01-24, 07:36 PM

Hey! Varsuuviusis magic is totally purple. The traditional effect for high power mojo. *ahem*

While on the topic, I recommend the Rolemaster setting (but not the system) of Shadow World / Kulthea to all you DM:s there. One of my favorite things about it is detailing the colors of magic, so that the color of a magicians aura tells things about him/her. I was reminded of this because blue aura, on Kulthea, is a sign that the magician is pure of heart. "Good", if you will.

Oh, and while we got to the subject of B-5 earlier, is everybody here familiar with Star Wreck already? Something in that excellent parody reminds me very much of what Rich is doing with the OotS.

Check it out:

http://www-fi3.starwreck.com/

The translation unfortunately doesn't quite live up to the hilarity of the original loony finnish acting, but I can pretty much guarantee that any Star Treck and/or B-5 fans will be entertained. The only real comparison is Galaxy Quest.

Tharr
2006-01-24, 07:36 PM
Xykon once said he could not laugh because he lacked having lungs well a lich has no voice box as well so how is he talking making the noise.

Walter
2006-01-24, 07:40 PM
IMHO Pink is generally associated with girls, but with an elf, I guess the colors could swing either way. But i think that pink is good color for casting spells, since it dosen't stand out as a traditional spell color; white (heal), black (un-heal), green (nature), etc...

Also, I don't think that the mystery about V will be revealed anytime soon. Its a good mystery question for people who try to pick apart everything, like all of us ;D

Adeptus
2006-01-24, 07:40 PM
Xykon once said he could not laugh because he lacked having lungs well a lich has no voice box as well so how is he talking making the noise.

He can, he just doesn't seem to get the same volume as before. :D

[edit] I quess it's because a lich traditionally talks in a scary whisper.

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=97

Lightman
2006-01-24, 07:50 PM
Need more OOTS! GRRR. Need rulerscates! GRRR!

Tharr
2006-01-24, 07:51 PM
Xykon kills Miko and Belkar joins his forces.

Lilly
2006-01-24, 07:53 PM
The Fairy Modmother: This thread is a behemouth and is getting promptly locked, it has degraded into random spam, and lost the main topic, mainly comic #270 about 5 pages ago