PDA

View Full Version : Destro Yersul's Dangerously Distracting and Doubtlessly Disturbing Random Banter #103

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Vonriel
2008-09-22, 10:42 AM
Jibar, I wish I had your sort of nightmare. I'm stuck with the sort that you don't realize is a nightmare until you wake up. :smallsigh: I'd kill to have giant spiders being ridden by tyrannosaurs rampaging through my dreams again...

Kaelaroth
2008-09-22, 10:45 AM
Oh yeah; any Londoners itp I have good news. I can meet friends while I'm in London.
Boogie time?
Aye or nay?

PM me with details, and it may be an aye.

Oregano
2008-09-22, 10:47 AM
No Tempest Fennac, we don't actually own much in modern society, we just have the right to use it only for personal use, this will probably apply to chairs and clothes and stuff soon. But this may be political so I should zip it now.

Jibar
2008-09-22, 11:25 AM
Jibar, I wish I had your sort of nightmare. I'm stuck with the sort that you don't realize is a nightmare until you wake up. :smallsigh: I'd kill to have giant spiders being ridden by tyrannosaurs rampaging through my dreams again...

See, you say that, yet waking up every other morning to find my head drenched with sweat, my heart pounding and an overwhelming sense of dread is not nice.
Not nice at all.

God I need to go to the doctors.

Vonriel
2008-09-22, 11:29 AM
Yeah, that does sound bad if it's happening that frequently.

Lyesmith
2008-09-22, 11:33 AM
Don't eat cheese!
That might be adding to it.
In addition, however, see the doctor.

bosssmiley
2008-09-22, 12:28 PM
@Eggy: may be applying York uni. Any reasons to convice me to go except for your supreme presence in the ancient city?

I R Newcastle, I think it's Last_Resort who's a Yorkie.
As for why you should apply there, well it's an awesome city. The uni' is good. The people are friendly. There's history everywhere you look (heck, they have a fudge shop in a 13th century building!). Romans. There are more bookshops than I could count (lost it at about 21...). The nightlife is good. Vikings. There's an entire suburb dedicated to chocolate. Good access to everywhere worth visiting...and London.

Plus you can hop on a bus up to the North York Moors and go looking for the elusive Brontësaurs. :smallbiggrin:

Ugh. General studies is such a waste of time.
We id kinder eggs today. -ing KINDER EGGS, and the effect on the envioment.
Who gives a damn?

What's not to like about the delicious, perfectly-formed goodness that is the Kinder Egg? It's chocolate, a surprise and a toy all together. It is SUPERIAH!!! :smallcool:

On the upshot, though, i got a B+ for my second english essay (the really tricky one about Utopia) and we got Nation today. Pratchett, OHHH YEAAAAHHH.

You're doing Utopia in Eng Lit? How does that work, given that the book was written in Latin? Or are you using it as a foundational piece for a wider study of utopias in literature, you lucky get? :smallconfused:

Pratchett on your syllabus? Ok, so maybe the education system hasn't quite wholly gone to the dogs just yet. :smallamused:

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-22, 12:37 PM
Ugh. General studies is such a waste of time.
We id kinder eggs today. -ing KINDER EGGS, and the effect on the envioment.
Who gives a damn?

On the upshot, though, i got a B+ for my second english essay (the really tricky one about Utopia) and we got Nation today. Pratchett, OHHH YEAAAAHHH.

Kinder Eggs are scrummy, but need more chocolate to them.
And if your school does Pratchett I envy you very much. If itturns out you only bought Pratchett I applaud you.
Lickle bwue hermit cwab ith thad. :smallfrown:

Cristo Meyers
2008-09-22, 12:37 PM
Pratchett on your syllabus? Ok, so maybe the education system hasn't quite wholly gone to the dogs just yet. :smallamused:

No, it has, it's just now recovering.

The system went to the dogs when I had to study Anne Rice my first year of University.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-22, 12:40 PM
My school doesn't have a english syllabus....

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-22, 12:52 PM
No, it has, it's just now recovering.

The system went to the dogs when I had to study Anne Rice my first year of University.

[loud and triumphant]HA![/loud and triumphant]

I laugh at you having to study that romantic tripe. In fact, I mock you.

I just hope you recovered from that awful writing and weren't tormented by its sheer non - quality.

We're studying Cold Comfort Farm and the Duchess of Malfey this year. I'm also doing the Aeneid thanks to Classics.
Buahahahahahahaha!

@Eggy: north is north and I laughed out loud at your literary pun. I actually live near where one of their relatives lived. Still, York sounds good. FOr 21 bookshops I'd move to somewhere very unpleasant indeed. VIkings are another good bonus.

Question: is it bad that noone in my E Lit group, not even the lecturer, knew what 'vociferous' meant in any sense of the word and that they were surprised when I gave the definition (or at least a description) of the word 'naptha' and then elaborated on its origins as a substance and that it was probably a main component in Greek fire?

Cristo Meyers
2008-09-22, 12:54 PM
[loud and triumphant]HA![/loud and triumphant]

I laugh at you having to study that romantic tripe. In fact, I mock you.

I just hope you recovered from that awful writing and weren't tormented by its sheer non - quality.

We're studying Cold Comfort Farm and the Duchess of Malfey this year. I'm also doing the Aeneid thanks to Classics.
Buahahahahahahaha!

It took a couple years, but I finally got better...

...was scary there for a while...I still have nightmares of obnoxious egomaniacal vampires and authors slowly descending into madness...

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-22, 12:58 PM
Oh well, at least you're sane now.
Note: when I say that you are between 28% and 89% insane. Anyone above or below those numbers is insane in a baaaaaad way.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-22, 01:03 PM
When I call a person sane, its an insult.

Cristo Meyers
2008-09-22, 01:09 PM
I've been called a lot of things in my quarter-century in this world, but "sane" was never one of them :smallcool:

Jibar
2008-09-22, 01:10 PM
Speaking of insanity, there's a whole bunch of new year 12s I've started hanging out with.
None of them know what a Cat-Muffin is.

Ooooooohhhhh booooooy...

This will be interesting.

loopy
2008-09-22, 01:16 PM
Speaking of insanity, there's a whole bunch of new year 12s I've started hanging out with.
None of them know what a Cat-Muffin is.

Ooooooohhhhh booooooy...

This will be interesting.

Jibar's an Aussie? Just a guestimation.

Edge
2008-09-22, 01:16 PM
Well, session two of my Pathfinder Eberron game went as well as the first, despite the cleric being unable to attend. :smallfrown:

Ninja Dhakhaani goblins on a lightning rail was a stroke of genius.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-22, 01:31 PM
Jibar's an Aussie? Just a guestimation.

No, Jibber's a Brit. We Brits are oft - caught discussing our British way of life including the unknown luxury of the sun and burnt fish fingers.
It's what Brits do.

Why think he's an Aussie?

Lyesmith
2008-09-22, 01:44 PM
He's obviously a criminal. Cutting purses and throats on the streets of london town...

Terumitsu
2008-09-22, 01:48 PM
This reminds me of something random that I have been wanting to do. Might I bother one of you Brits to list off a good title and publisher of a college level history text? It's a bit of a project comparing the bias of the writers on both sides of the pond.

Also, I just like history.

loopy
2008-09-22, 01:53 PM
Why think he's an Aussie?

Just the reference to Year 12's... Stupid thing to go off, really.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-22, 02:31 PM
British college or American college?
'Cause there's two years difference.

Supagoof
2008-09-22, 02:37 PM
Oh well, at least you're sane now.
Note: when I say that you are between 28% and 89% insane. Anyone above or below those numbers is insane in a baaaaaad way.
Sorry. I'll try to be less homicidal in the future.

Terumitsu
2008-09-22, 02:37 PM
To be honest, I am rather ignorant of that two year difference. I suppose it might do well to simply go with the British college if you please

Vonriel
2008-09-22, 03:20 PM
I wish Pratchett had been on my english syllabus in high school. In college, we didn't really study literature much, which was weird. Anyway, yeah, in high school, we had such classics as 1984 and Lord of the Flies. Ohh how I hated them both. And not that they were bad books, no, rather because I was in a class of idiots. The only people who knew anything about these books were me and like three other guys, who were all assigned seats in the back of the class. :smallsigh:

I can't wait to get my grubby mitts on Nation. :smallfrown:

Lyesmith
2008-09-22, 03:25 PM
Augh, i share your pain.
I got lumped with some of the "Alternately Able" kids due to a timetable screwup by the (crappy) head of english.

Didnt phase me too bad, though. At the very least they were decent outlets, and i had other smart people in my class.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-22, 03:27 PM
We did Lord of the Flies for Y11 and by Offler I hated it so much. That was one of the few books I've been introduced to that I actually hate.
Hate it, hate it, hate it. And the same goes for 1984.

@Von: Nation has to be read.

Lyesmith
2008-09-22, 03:28 PM
...Oh dear. That bodes ill.
I should probably try and like 1984, just for the sake of needing it for A level.
I'm saving Nation for tonight.:smallbiggrin:

DraPrime
2008-09-22, 03:30 PM
I continue to be astounded by how my English class can ruin books, although it's not because I'm with stupid people. It's just that we overanalyze things to the point where I can take a perfectly fine book, and despise it so much that I want to burn down the factory in which it was printed. Example:

In my freshman year of high school we had to read at least 8 books over the course of 3 months, and we could pick any book we wanted. I read about 15 books, one of them being Lord of the Flies. I greatly enjoyed Lord of the Flies and though it was a pretty cool book. A few weeks after the deadline for all these books, we started to read Lord of the Flies. Over the next 2 months the teacher managed to squeeze every bit of analysis that she could out of the book, and made me absolutely despise a book that I had truly enjoyed not so long before.

And I'm scared that I probably hate a good amount of books and plays (Romeo and Juliet anyone?) simply because of the way my school runs its English classes.

Vonriel
2008-09-22, 03:33 PM
Thing is, I don't know if we have it in our stores yet. I remember when Making Money came out, the entire front display as you walked into the Barnes and Noble was covered with the thing. Nothing like that as of last Saturday for Nation, though. :smallfrown:

Though, from what I understand of it, it doesn't use any existing characters? I was really hoping for another Moist von Lipwig book, myself. Or maybe even another Watchmen book, because Vimes is my hero. :smalltongue:

1984, as well as Lord of the Flies, are both books that you either love or hate, I think.

DraPrime
2008-09-22, 03:34 PM
1984, as well as Lord of the Flies, are both books that you either love or hate, I think.

1984 becomes easier to enjoy when you realize Orwell is putting you through a bit of a mindscrew, and that the situation in it isn't all that far from a certain one happening in a part of a world back then. Lord of the Flies is a bit more random.

Oregano
2008-09-22, 03:34 PM
Well doign shakespeare in class made me loathe it, but when I was reading lines to help people rehearse for a play I realised how funny he is.

Vonriel
2008-09-22, 03:43 PM
1984 becomes easier to enjoy when you realize Orwell is putting you through a bit of a mindscrew, and that the situation in it isn't all that far from a certain one happening in a part of a world back then. Lord of the Flies is a bit more random.

That's the phrase I wanted to use. Especially because the one I really wanted to use wouldn't be appreciated :smalltongue: Lord of the Flies isn't random so much as it is a look at an extreme side of things.

I would've liked Shakespeare more if it weren't for the fact that everything he wrote was a play. I'm more of a novel type of person, and reading in play format was just a bit too different for me to really appreciate his writing, I think.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-22, 03:43 PM
How odd.
I love every Shakespeare play I've ever done in class. Guess I've had good teachers.

DraPrime
2008-09-22, 03:45 PM
I wish I could enjoy Shakespeare. It would make English class a lot more enjoyable.

Destro_Yersul
2008-09-22, 03:54 PM
I never paid all that much attention in English, cause I was busy reading books from the library. Drove my teacher nuts.

She wanted to encourage reading and make me pay attention in her class, she just couldn't do both at once. :smallbiggrin:

Oregano
2008-09-22, 03:55 PM
You shouldn't read plays, you should act them out, much more freedom and a lot easier to understand especially with the context you can apply to them, like the "I bite my thumb" scene in Romeo and Juliet, a bit Narm if you read it, fantastic if you act it out.

That's personally why I think plays are better than novels/stories, more freedom to express and you change things to how you think it should be.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2008-09-22, 03:55 PM
Hi Destro! Did you see they named a random banter after you?? That's great!!!

Vonriel
2008-09-22, 03:56 PM
Get the straight jacket! He's using multiple punctuation!

DraPrime
2008-09-22, 04:15 PM
The punishment for using multiple punctuation is a straitjacket? Uh oh...

mercurymaline
2008-09-22, 05:14 PM
I had to go to the store last night, b/c my cat chewed through my phone charger. While I was there, I grabbed a bag of candy. So I was sitting here reading, and remembered I had that bag of candy. So I went looking for it, and it was in the middle of the bed. I passed out when I got home, and slept all night next to a bag of candy. And didn't notice it when I got up this morning. Oi.

Jack Squat
2008-09-22, 06:27 PM
Does anyone know a good place to get washout (temporary) hair dye? I'm looking to color my hair black for a halloween costume, and hate that spray on stuff. I've already tried Sprawl-Mart and my store's hair dye section.

Phase
2008-09-22, 06:46 PM
I. Hate. Homework. I effin' hate it! Hate! Hate! Hate!

mercurymaline
2008-09-22, 06:48 PM
Does anyone know a good place to get washout (temporary) hair dye? I'm looking to color my hair black for a halloween costume, and hate that spray on stuff. I've already tried Sprawl-Mart and my store's hair dye section.

If there's a Sally's in your area, I'd try there. Or maybe get a wig.

Thufir
2008-09-22, 06:52 PM
Well I just got my new uni timetable. Downside: More workage this year. Plus side: I have nothing whatsoever on wednesdays. Tuesday evening/night drinking seems to suggest itself. Also, this gives me an opportunity to replenish my sleep mid-week.

Jack Squat
2008-09-22, 06:58 PM
There isn't a Sally's nearby, but I probably should try hitting up some salons and seeing if they have any wash-out dye. If all else fails, Sally's does have an online store, so thanks for pointing them out.

EDIT: Now to get the rest of my costume together...now to get some spray paint and a plastic chainsaw.

Vonriel
2008-09-22, 07:25 PM
The punishment for using multiple punctuation is a straitjacket? Uh oh...

Well, not really. I was channeling Pratchett, y'see, and..
Multiple punctuation is a sure sign of a diseased mind. Or something.

Thufir
2008-09-22, 07:54 PM
It's only specifically multiple exclamation marks, but other than that, you're accurate.

Quincunx
2008-09-22, 08:30 PM
We did Lord of the Flies for Y11 and by Offler I hated it so much. That was one of the few books I've been introduced to that I actually hate.
Hate it, hate it, hate it. And the same goes for 1984. . .

. . .Well, I suppose a dissenting opinion had to crop up sometime, but making it a two-for-one makes my breastbone ache. Either that, or I just managed to slam the headphones' volume control into my sternum when I brought fist to heart upon reading that.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u231/Quincunx_GitP/Screenies/lukeren_evilbyreflex.jpg

Beneath this snowy exterior lurks an impassioned, gesticulating Mediterrean soul. I just need a Mediterranean climate to insert it into.

Uncle Festy
2008-09-22, 09:03 PM

You're reading Pratchett for school?
I envy you.
So very much.

Jibar
2008-09-23, 12:44 AM
Stupid floating hotel.
Stupid ruined town.
Stupid flooding world.
Stupid everybody turning against me.
Stupid Clover coming to get us.
Stupid people not listening to me.
Stupid living out all my worst fears.
Stupid sleep.

Nychta
2008-09-23, 01:15 AM
I. Hate. Homework. I effin' hate it! Hate! Hate! Hate!
I hate it more!
Hate hate hate hate hate!

No, seriously, we've been given a bunch of maths questions, which range from repetitively boring to "... I like these, but not 20 of these in a row" type questions.
We have to do some presentation on a NZ band. Thankfully, I chose the Electric Confectionaires, who are awesome, but still. Research? Ick.
English is more essays.

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-23, 01:16 AM
I take it you had another nightmare, Jibar? Who's Clover exactly?

Oregano
2008-09-23, 02:19 AM
That's exactly what my maths homework is like, 60 questions that are exactly the same and take atleast a minute to write out fully, err boring.

bosssmiley
2008-09-23, 04:32 AM

Hot Topic? A theatrical costumier's shop? Your local chemist?

Stupid floating hotel.
Stupid ruined town.
Stupid flooding world.
Stupid everybody turning against me.
Stupid Clover coming to get us.
Stupid people not listening to me.
Stupid living out all my worst fears.
Stupid sleep.

Sounds like a J. G. Ballard storyline (after BBC4 "The Aliens & Us: Cozy Catastrophes"). :smallamused:

Weird dream for me the other night. Everything was perfectly normal (as it often is in my dreams) except people were just missing body parts - eyes, hands, mouths, etc. No torn limbs, no scarring, just omissions where organs and limbs should be.
I was the only one who seemed to notice this, and they seemed wholly unaffected by it. :smalleek:

Thufir
2008-09-23, 04:46 AM
That's exactly what my maths homework is like, 60 questions that are exactly the same and take atleast a minute to write out fully, err boring.

Ah, this is why I really liked my high school maths teacher. He was of the opinion that if you understand something after doing 3 examples, why do 20? So he never actually gave us any homework. Those who felt they needed practice could do the questions and he'd go over them, and I did nothing at all.

Phase
2008-09-23, 05:24 AM
I take it you had another nightmare, Jibar? Who's Clover exactly?

Clover is the nickname for the giant monster from Cloverfield. But Jibar, I'd be more worried about the parasites! :smalleek:

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-23, 06:24 AM
Thanks for explaining, Phase. What did the parasites do exactly?

bosssmiley
2008-09-23, 07:13 AM
Thanks for explaining, Phase. What did the parasites do exactly?

The whole chestburster thing (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=108) IIRC :smalleek:

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-23, 07:14 AM
That sounds nasty. I scare easily, so I tend to avoid horror movies/programs.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-23, 08:10 AM
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!!!!!!!!!!
I hate college.
I've had this headache for going on ten days now; funnily enough, never on a weekend. It's not dehydration or stress. I'm pretty damn relaxed.
It's just college.
I have either too much free time or too little. I really do hate French at the moment because I have do do an article in Frencj about une dechetterie pres de Verneiul sur Arvre (sp and accents inbcorrect) what should have been handed in today.
I 'forgot' it.
E Lang with Woman Teacher is terminally dull. We're doing exam practice or soething involving an 'ad campaign' what I can't even been bothered to be motivated about.
Med His lady should be away today, but if she isn't I predict an enooooooormously long powerpoint to make up for yesterday.
I'm ranting instead of going to my next lecture what starts in two minutes.
#My grammar and spelling here has gone so far down the pan it'#s been flushed out into the Atlantic and I really want to commit homicide on that bimbo bundle of fake b;londes in Classics.
Shame homicide's illegal. Even if it is justified.
AND THIS HEADACHE HURTS!
And UCAS is cheesing me very off. Must. FInish. It.
Seven days till it's got to be finished.

*whimpers off grumbling to E Lang*

The Rose Dragon
2008-09-23, 09:20 AM
I hate my Humanities teacher.

See, she gave me an assignment. To draw a comic story about a Greek myth.

Only, wait, I don't know any Greek myths and I don't know how to draw a comic story!

Couldn't you at least have the decency to ask if I could draw one?

Oh, she did, but she dismissed my statement "I'm a terrible cartoonist" with "It isn't possible to be a bad cartoonist". Well, what is Rob Liefeld, chopped liver (you wish, don't you?)?

EDIT: Also, it seems Curly is younger than me. Why didn't I notice that before?

dish
2008-09-23, 09:21 AM
Sorry to break this to you Curly, but at Teacher Training College one of the instructions we were given was, "don't make every lesson interesting". Aparently the reasoning was:
a) real life is sometimes boring
b) teachers are supposed to prepare their students for real life.

Personally I believe that anybody learns more when interested and engaged, but there you go.

Anyway, UCAS - did you make a final decision on where to apply? Did York make the cut? (Beautiful city, great university, what more could you want?)

Edit @ The Rose Dragon: go xkcd and use stick figures? Bribe somebody in arts and crafts to make one for you?

The Rose Dragon
2008-09-23, 09:26 AM
The assignment is a special assignment, which means I'm the only one doing it. So, I completely expect my terrible art skills to be displayed to the public (or at least the rest of the class).

dish
2008-09-23, 09:31 AM
Make a collage comic by printing out images found on the internet, re-sizing them and glueing them on?

You could have your main characters as xkcd stick figures and then add various monsters and props from google image. (Or just plain old clip art.)

Lyesmith
2008-09-23, 09:36 AM
There are freakin' loads of myths
if you run out of ideas, do herculese
or that guy who killed medusa!
Do it in the style of Kate Beaton, as well. That would be pretty funny.

Oregano
2008-09-23, 09:42 AM
It's Heracles if it's Greek, Hercules is the romanised version.

I agree, do someone like Perseus(Medua slayer), Jason and the Argonauts or Bellephoron(probably not spelt right but the guy who killed the Chimaera and the son of Artemis IIRC).

The Rose Dragon
2008-09-23, 09:43 AM
There are freakin' loads of myths
if you run out of ideas, do herculese
or that guy who killed medusa!

You mean Perseus? How can you know Herakles but not Perseus? When did Herakles get so famous, anyway? His biggest claim to fame was due to him killing his wife and children, ferpetesake!

Oregano
2008-09-23, 09:46 AM
Heracles/Herakles/Hercule sis famous because Kevin Sorbo played him and there's a disney cartoon about him and he was one of the Argonauts IIRC.

The Rose Dragon
2008-09-23, 09:52 AM
Yes, but my point being, there are tons of other mythic figures worthy of even greater fame than a family murderer. Why did they glorify him above all else?

Lyesmith
2008-09-23, 09:53 AM
I do know perseus, yes. I was just rushed for time, and couldnt get the right spelling down.

I thought of him mainly for the labours of Herakles, actually.

Oregano
2008-09-23, 09:55 AM
He only had to do the labours because he killed his family though, didn't he?

Personally, I think Bellephoron's the best, he's awesome, even though I'm probably spelling his name wrong.

The Rose Dragon
2008-09-23, 09:56 AM
The Twelve Labors (which were supposed to be ten but two didn't count because he got help from Iolaus and the rivers in those two) are done as redemption for the murder of Herakles' wife and children by his own hands.

So, OK, he was mad at the time, but it still means his greatest deeds was because of murder.

Though I can't recall if he was deified later. If he was, that would explain it a bit.

EDIT: OK, he was deified through a wording of his half-godness. Apparently, when he was burned in the puneral pyre, his mortal half was the only part that was burned and his immortal half ascended to Olympus. So says Wikipedia, at least.

Oregano
2008-09-23, 09:57 AM
He was indeed Deified and married his cousin(eww) and made up with Hera I think.

dish
2008-09-23, 10:01 AM
I'd go for Penelope's tale or Atlas myself. But that's probably because of reading Margaret Atwood's The Penelopiad (http://www.amazon.com/Penelopiad-Myth-Penelope-Odysseus-Myths/dp/1841957984/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222181396&sr=1-2)and Jeanette Winterson's Weight (http://www.amazon.com/Weight-Myth-Atlas-Heracles-Myths/dp/1841957992/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222181551&sr=1-8).

(I also read Dream Angus (http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Angus-Celtic-God-Dreams/dp/1847670156/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222181775&sr=1-1) by Alexander McCall Smith - and loved it though I'm usually not into his novels. They all came as part of a collection called 'The Myths' (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Myths-Boxset-History-Penelopiad-Weight/dp/1841957267/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222182014&sr=8-2). Highly recommended.)

The Rose Dragon
2008-09-23, 10:01 AM
He was also romantically linked to Iolaus, who was his nephew or something like that.

Then again, his father married his sister, so marrying a cousin is tame in comparison.

Oregano
2008-09-23, 10:03 AM
I like to think of Herc's and Iolaus' relationship as close friends like in the Sorbo series.:smalltongue:

I think the squickiest thing in Greek mythology is the origin of Aphrodite.

The Rose Dragon
2008-09-23, 10:05 AM
Didn't Aphrodite get created through the tossing of Cronus'...

OK, I remember it now.

dish
2008-09-23, 10:56 AM
The cats are refusing their cat food. (Now, as we are living in the homeland of poisoned petfood and contaminated milk, it is perfectly possible that they know something I don't.) Unfortunately, they've decided to steal my toasted cheese instead.

Groundhog
2008-09-23, 11:36 AM
Hmmm...try putting the toasted cheese in a box and duct-taping it shut.

Dr. Bath
2008-09-23, 11:39 AM

OK, I remember it now.

Ouranos (Uranus to those Romans out there), not Kronos.

Kronos did the chucking.

Oregano
2008-09-23, 11:40 AM
I'd say feed them what they want

and appease our feline overlords.

They also probably know that the food is dodgy or something, or maybe they just don't like it.

dish
2008-09-23, 11:42 AM
Hmmm...try putting the toasted cheese in a box and duct-taping it shut.

Then I can't eat it. (Husband suggested putting the cats in a box and taping it shut. Luckily he is joking. Umm...I hope.)

Vonriel
2008-09-23, 11:43 AM

OK, I remember it now.

The worst part is the whole goddess of beauty aspect, if you ask me. I mean, really... :smallyuk:

Too bad there aren't any greek myths about the end of the world. If it was Norse, you could just turn in four blank boxes with title text, saying "Thus is the fate of the gods after Ragnarok." or something. :smalltongue:

Oregano
2008-09-23, 11:43 AM
If he's not you don't have to worry they won't die, but they won't live either.:smalltongue:

EDIT: Some of the God's children survive(Thor's sons do) and Baldur is reborn after Rangnarok.

The Rose Dragon
2008-09-23, 11:45 AM
Ouranos (Uranus to those Romans out there), not Kronos.

Kronos did the chucking.

You know, with the number of sons assaulting their children in Greek mythology, one wonders why Greek gods even had children. They were immortal, after all.

Too bad there aren't any greek myths about the end of the world. If it was Norse, you could just turn in four blank boxes with title text, saying "Thus is the fate of the gods after Ragnarok." or something. :smalltongue:

I could make the same thing about the fate of the gods before Cronus.

dish
2008-09-23, 11:48 AM
I'd say feed them what they want

They also probably know that the food is dodgy or something, or maybe they just don't like it.

I do much feline appeasing. But, if I feed them what they want it would involve a diet of raw chicken, beef, fish, and egg (if they find an egg box they'll knock it to the floor specifically to break the shells and lap up the raw egg) and bread. My cats search the shopping bags hoping to run off with an entire (wrapped) loaf of bread.

Oregano
2008-09-23, 11:53 AM
It was half said in jest and half serious, I meant if they keep refusing to eat the cat food no matter what, feed them something they'll like, but I wouldn't recommend doing it forever.

Also they are very intelligent cats, make sure they don't have a toaster hidden somewhere.

Jibar
2008-09-23, 11:53 AM

BOW BEFORE US!

Yessss...

So it turns out that that nightmare was just washing out all the bad from the past couple days to prepare me a day so awesome it must be remembered.
1st Lesson: Critical Thinking. Mess around pretty much.
1st Break: Everybody is playing Spore!
2nd Lesson: English. Find out I'm the only person who has read Hamlet and know the most, so my English teacher now likes me.
2nd Break: Stuff in the relationship thread.
3rd Lesson: My boring philosophy teacher is ill, free period! Spend it having fun serious discussion on DRM and evolution.
Lunch: Injure myself in an awesome manner jumping over chairs.
4th Lesson: English. Get to show I know a lot in Chaucer as well/
5th Lesson: Drama. I get to play as a Dr Coxish character! Finally, comedy in our play! I'm happy about it now.
Home: Get to play with my Clover-Spore creature a bit.

EVERYTHING IS WONDERFUL FOREVER!

Destro_Yersul
2008-09-23, 12:04 PM
*puts on Jibar's new theme-song*

"Sun-shine, lollipops and rainbows and...."

:smallbiggrin:

I want a cat, but my Dad's allergic. Maybe I'll get one when I finally save up enough to afford a place to live. I hear they're cheaper than kids.

dish
2008-09-23, 12:07 PM
I want a cat, but my Dad's allergic. Maybe I'll get one when I finally save up enough to afford a place to live. I hear they're cheaper than kids.

Mmm....:smallconfused: I guess, in the long run. Maybe?

Kaelaroth
2008-09-23, 12:42 PM
Day of Kaela
So, I had one academic lesson today, out of six. Had yoghurt for breakfast, and exercised away that kiwi-flavoured menace during lessons one and two: PE and Swimming. Then hung about in the cold for forty minutes, reading poetry. Then did periods three and four: Art. Did rubbings, weathering, and chalk drawings. Raaaan back to main school to read a poem for a competition I'll never win, and the fire alarm went off halfway through my reading. Then missed lunch, so had droopy croissant and apple juice.

Then ran to talk about drugs, which was soul-crushingly depressing, showing that: a) I'm a riskless bar-code brat, b) I have four (of five) major factors that indicate I'm an addictive personality, and c) I don't trust anyone.

Then had Greek. Which was hilarious. And enlightening, true.

Then more Art, after school.

Then home. Tiiired - With Hunger Pangs.

I've got a school trip tomorrow!

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-23, 01:00 PM
BOW BEFORE US!

Yessss...

So it turns out that that nightmare was just washing out all the bad from the past couple days to prepare me a day so awesome it must be remembered.
1st Lesson: Critical Thinking. Mess around pretty much.
1st Break: Everybody is playing Spore!
2nd Lesson: English. Find out I'm the only person who has read Hamlet and know the most, so my English teacher now likes me.
2nd Break: Stuff in the relationship thread.
3rd Lesson: My boring philosophy teacher is ill, free period! Spend it having fun serious discussion on DRM and evolution.
Lunch: Injure myself in an awesome manner jumping over chairs.
4th Lesson: English. Get to show I know a lot in Chaucer as well/
5th Lesson: Drama. I get to play as a Dr Coxish character! Finally, comedy in our play! I'm happy about it now.
Home: Get to play with my Clover-Spore creature a bit.

EVERYTHING IS WONDERFUL FOREVER!

YES! BOW BEFORE THE CATS WHO ART OUR GODS ON HIGH!

Jibbers; nothing much, but I really hate you right now. Sort of.
So, I finish typing my previous rant at 2:10. Which is when I'm meant to be in ELang. I go.
Teacher's late.
And she (she takes half our lessons for ELang) sets our advertising project. Which lasts a whole three smegging weeks!
I'm pretty apatheic about the people in this class (I'm the only one of my old class in it and everyone else has at least four eople from theirs in this one - outsider is aaaawkward) so I accept the invitation o the only four interesting (and geeky which was a nice surprise) people to join their group.
And we're advertising beer.
To be precise: beer from the medieval period; Elizabethan period and Victorian period.
I know nothing about, and have never drunk beer. So every group apart from mine goes off to th'internets to do research. Ours stays in the class and chats.
And we actually have a fair bit of fun. We talk about beer and other things, but really easily link it back to beer. Do brainstorming - I did most of it. Got the posters planned for Medieval and Elizaabethan booze and the writing for one of them all done.
But three smegging weeks and we've done most of it already.

Booooooredom is my mistress.
And then Med His. Not a powerpoint but a rapid scrawling about ten or so very importnat European Reformers on the whiteboard. And I sit up front on the sides so it's a cack - handed angle to rea at. And her cursive writing's abominable!
And I was damn bored and hurting. I've got Celtic - like art patterns covering my entire left hand up to the knuckles and down to my wrist.

But I'm so tired. I was exhausted half an hour after I woke up, even though I napped on the bus up instead of learning my French vocab (still got 90% thanks to knowing what kind of things she'd quiz us on) and my head's been throbbing since the minute I came downstairs for brekkie. My neck's stiff and if I go bed now I'll have trouble later on.
And I nearly fell asleep in French and Classics anyway.
But I do make a good Oedipus.

Wish we were studying Hamlet and Chaucer instead of Cold Comfort Farm and the Duchess of Malfey and Keats. This will be temporary.
Koorly hates having bad days at college 'cause she loves to learn and all she seems to do lately is moan about how bad it is.
:smallfrown:

@Kaela: trip where? Oh, and eat something. Now.

Kaelaroth
2008-09-23, 01:02 PM
@Kaela: trip where?

Kew Gardens. For Art. More rubbings, observational drawing, work toward sculpture, weatherings, etc.

Oregano
2008-09-23, 01:06 PM
I had a great day, was tired in the morning, had film, got to talk people, I don't really know them but they're all pretty cool, then we watched the intro to 28 days later as an example of genre conventions.

Then Medieval History, kind of boring(mainly because it's two hours and a quarter, that's too long!) then I had a dinner break.

Then I had geography, but our tutor wasn't in so loads of us just stayed there and talked about the end of the world and stuff, was fun.

And I'm going to the cinema next thursday with film to watch Control!

and my maths homework's only like twelve questions, and they're different questions, not the same one with different numbers.

Skippy
2008-09-23, 01:06 PM
"Sun-shine, lollipops and rainbows and...."

Gotta love that song. Which reminds me, I don't have it anymore. I must seek my old music backup...

Oregano
2008-09-23, 01:08 PM
I forgot to mention this in my previous post but it's the same with me in m tutor group, everyone else knows each other and went to the same school and I know no one, but I made a friend last week!

I was really worried as well, because I'm not too good at making friends.

mangosta71
2008-09-23, 01:09 PM
Just think, Koorly - you have 3 weeks of classes free! If the people in your group are as geeky as you indicated, you can bring in copies of the D&D books and run a campaign in class! And even claim that the "medieval fantasy role-playing" helps your advertising project!

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-23, 01:14 PM
Kew Gardens. For Art. More rubbings, observational drawing, work toward sculpture, weatherings, etc.

Great envy is felt by me.
Have taken paracetamol an hour ago. Head still in pain. Sleep can't come too soon.
On the plus side, I'm officially resitting French in January now. And sitting Elizabeth in January. And Keats in January. And E Lang 1 and 4.

@^: Not that geeky. Just geekier than anyone else in E Lang. They read fantasy, some webcomics and know some D&D terms. That is all.
I hate being the geekiest in class. Classics is far better. One guy has loads of FF music on his iPod. And can juggle. On his unicycle. And they play The Game.
Which you have all now lost.
Amongst other things.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-23, 01:29 PM
I think I'm the geekiest in my whole school.:smalleek:

And I don't even play DnD anymore these days. :smalleek:

Admittedly I'm on a small school with only around 40 children.

Edge
2008-09-23, 01:34 PM
Hmm. Classics essay on Augustus' rule of Rome, for tommorrow. I have E Lang, then two frees, then double Classics. More than enough time to do it tommorrow.

Should I do it tommorrow - Y/N?

Oregano
2008-09-23, 01:34 PM
One of my friends has Final Fantasy music on his ipod, I use my DS as an mp3 player so I have FFIV and the music player in the forest if I want to listen to the music, although it doesn't have some of the cooler songs from the series.

I'm not the geekiest person I know, but I'm one of the geekiest, I think I'm the geekiest in Film studies.

EDIT: I'd say at least start it now, so you have some of it done if you somehow miss the chance to do it tomorrow.

Lyesmith
2008-09-23, 01:35 PM
I'm probably the geekiest in any of my classes. We've got to get a bunch of stamps, or we can't have study leave for january. How lame is that? I never bother with stamps.

Also, graaahhh. I need to kick my habits. And probably stop being so utterly strange. Also, another person knows! Woo.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-23, 01:42 PM
Stamps whut now?
Study leave? In January?
What kind of school you go to?!
That's crazy. We only get study leave for the summer ones.

@StigEdge: Intro tonight. Rest tomorrow.

Dihan
2008-09-23, 01:54 PM
We have year-round study leave. As long as we don't have lessons we don't have to be in school.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-23, 01:54 PM
GRAAAAHH.

Big fan of Dukes of Hazard here. The good old dukes of hazard.
I've just watched the beginning of a new movie called the dukes of hazard and I hate it already. The actors alone aren't right! Boss hogg isn't fat, Enos isn't stupid and a lot more hostile with the boys...... Graaah.

Sincerely yours,
A old fan who has a desire to kill these new movie producers and the new actors.

Oregano
2008-09-23, 01:57 PM
I love the Dukes of Hazzard as well, it was just so strangely funny.

What new movie, there was one a coupl of years ago that was less than stellar to say the least.

EDIT: My love for DoH is prbably why the episode o Smallville with Tom Wopat is one of my favourites.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-23, 01:59 PM
Currently on Veronica(atleast here in the Netherlands).
Just called the dukes of hazard.

I'm just going to check it again, to see if any hopes might be raised again... Because they were all crushed at just only the beginning, couldn't watch it 3 min straight....

Skippy
2008-09-23, 03:22 PM
I've been listening to Yakko Warner's Countries of the World song for a while now. I love that song.

United States, Canada, Mexico, Panama, Haiti, Jamaica, Peru...

Oregano
2008-09-23, 03:24 PM
Great song, but it says Translyvania's a country IIRC, which I'm pretty sure it's not.

Haruki-kun
2008-09-23, 03:25 PM
Great song, but it says Translyvania's a country IIRC, which I'm pretty sure it's not.

I believe it's an area in Romania... I'm not sure, though.

Skippy
2008-09-23, 03:25 PM

Yeah, that's a huge mistake. It also lists Asia as a country, so the song is not really exact. But it's funny anyway.

Oregano
2008-09-23, 03:27 PM
yer it is an area in Romania, but it may hve been a separate state at some point. I don't think I noticed him say Asia.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-23, 03:28 PM
ruki - chan's got it right.
Translyvania is an area in Romania.

Skippy
2008-09-23, 03:29 PM
Here are the lyrics. (http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/clamen/misc/tv/Animaniacs/Nations.html)

He mentions Asia in the verse where he mentions India, Bangladesh and a lot of Asian countries.

Oregano
2008-09-23, 03:31 PM
Wow, that's an oversight. I just realised I'm still using my pirate moogle, it's better than my other one anyway.

Jibar
2008-09-23, 03:35 PM
There are good reasons why you should memorise that song. (http://www.threepanelsoul.com/view.php?date=2007-06-11)

Oregano
2008-09-23, 03:36 PM
It's very similar to that chemistry song, the periodic table one.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-23, 03:38 PM
Ok, I just forced my self to watch the movie because despite as bad as it was, the dukes of hazard is still awesome and will always be, despite any new sucky movies.

wadledo
2008-09-23, 03:46 PM
Bah, I just got the house season one DVD.
I haven't slept in days!:smallbiggrin:

DraPrime
2008-09-23, 04:22 PM
Hmmmm, I never actually watched season one. I started in season two with the death row inmate. I should probably watch the first one.

Destro_Yersul
2008-09-23, 04:42 PM

I know the pain. My brother owns seasons 2-4, and we borrowed season 1 from a friend. House is awesome.

Uncle Festy
2008-09-23, 05:06 PM
Or something.

Well, I happen to be rereading Maskerade right now, so…

And all those exclamation marks, notice? Five? A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head.

I never paid all that much attention in English, cause I was busy reading books from the library. Drove my teacher nuts.

She wanted to encourage reading and make me pay attention in her class, she just couldn't do both at once. :smallbiggrin:
You could get away with reading in class?
Lucky. I always get yelled at when I do. :smallyuk:
:smalltongue:

Phase
2008-09-23, 05:40 PM

OK, I remember it now.

I know I'm late, but...

There once was a goddess named Venus,
Who had formed from Uranous'...

SMEE
2008-09-23, 06:03 PM

You won't sleep in days after I put my hands on you. In bed. :smallamused:

Uncle Festy
2008-09-23, 06:39 PM
Ooh, more late responses now that I've gotten a chance to catch up!

See, she gave me an assignment. To draw a comic story about a Greek myth.You could steal a strip from the Silliad… :smalltongue:

It's Heracles if it's Greek, Hercules is the romanised version. Halleluja! Someone else who cares about not romanising spellings! :smallbiggrin:

It's very similar to that chemistry song, the periodic table one. There's… antimony arsenic aluminum selenium and hydrogen and oxygen and nitrogen and rhenium and nickel neodymium neptunium germanium and iron americium ruthenium uranium…
*gasp*

I know I'm late, but...

There once was a goddess named Venus,
Who had formed from Uranous'...
… was that quite necessary?
Yeah, probably, come to think of it. :smalltongue:

And on an unrelated note, I hate tests. I've got way too many tomorrow. Yes, I know the student handbook says we can have that many in one day, but that doesn't mean they should!
:smallyuk:

DraPrime
2008-09-23, 06:41 PM
You could steal a strip from the Silliad… :smalltongue:

Comic 12! That was the best one so far. Now of we could get more updates...(HINT HINT)

Uncle Festy
2008-09-23, 06:47 PM
See the latest post in the thread.
Seriously, is anyone even reading it anymore? :smallannoyed:
I mean, I can't exactly expect them to be, considering…

DraPrime
2008-09-23, 06:53 PM
Crap, I never looked at the rest of the thread. I just popped up every day on the first page assuming you'd update the archives. Shame, this was one of the better webcomics on this site. Will you resurrect it if I give you candy?

Uncle Festy
2008-09-23, 06:57 PM
Shame, this was one of the better webcomics on this site.
Aww, thanks. :smallredface:

Will you resurrect it if I give you candy?
Your offer is persuasive. I'll have to think about that one. :smalltongue:
But, yeah. I'll probably get back to it eventually if I don't get distracted by my next A&C project. *whistles*

DraPrime
2008-09-23, 06:59 PM
It's really good candy! And if you wish, it will be laced with the illegal substance of your choice to make it even more enjoyable.

Copacetic
2008-09-23, 08:33 PM
It's really good candy! And if you wish, it will be laced with the illegal substance of your choice to make it even more enjoyable.

All the best candy is laced with illegal substances.

DraPrime
2008-09-23, 09:07 PM

I buy from only the finest dealers.:smalltongue:

Groundhog
2008-09-23, 09:16 PM
You mean like the Tonsil Ticklers described by Roald Dahl? (soaked in chloroform)

Vonriel
2008-09-23, 10:31 PM
I thought that there was another instance of his comments on multiple punctuation in one of the Watchmen books.

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-24, 01:23 AM
I've never watched it, but my sister is a huge House fan as well (she wants a load of the DVDs for Christmas).

bosssmiley
2008-09-24, 03:41 AM

"Say no to cake!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZgg7o91EWU) </Chris Morris>

Phase
2008-09-24, 05:33 AM
I've never watched it, but my sister is a huge House fan as well (she wants a load of the DVDs for Christmas).

It's a good show. Yesterday's episode was hilarious.

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-24, 05:35 AM
What happened in it exactly? There is a new series at the moment, right?

Phase
2008-09-24, 05:51 AM
What happened in it exactly? There is a new series at the moment, right?

If that's the across the pond word for season, then yes. It was about several people who got organs form a tainted donor, and all but one die, so they focus on the last one. There's also a PI, hilarity ensues.

But for now, off to school!

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-24, 06:35 AM
I thought that there was another instance of his comments on multiple punctuation in one of the Watchmen books.

Yes, there was. I believe it was Night Watch or possibly Jingo. Vimes definitely said it. And it was prolly to Carrot. And they were in Pseudopolis Yard at the time.

"Say no to cake!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZgg7o91EWU) </Chris Morris>

Brass Eye! I loved that clip; can't believe how many celebrities didn't pick that up.

Oh, for once, no headache. My insomnia died when I went to bed at eleven so it's sleep induced pain. Or was. Shame I've got a half hour oral practice in one of my only frees today. And it's with some guy I've never spoken to before. And possibly never seen either. With a girl I've never met (except in class as one of those people you vaguely recognise as being in your class) whose accent is atrocious.
Seriously. :smallannoyed:

Destro_Yersul
2008-09-24, 10:58 AM
I don't ever get to Watch House on TV, I'm afraid, so it's DvD's for me.

Also, I keep thinking people have quoted me cause my name is at the beginning of everyone's posts. It's throwin' me off, I can tell you. :smallbiggrin:

randman22222
2008-09-24, 11:00 AM
AWESOMESAUCE!

First university just admitted me!

:biggrin:

Jibar
2008-09-24, 11:23 AM
Okay. So...
Tonight, I have to write that Philosophy rap, because I can't write it tomorrow night 'cos I'm going to that play. Friday it has to be performed, plus I'm going to the pub that night. Yesterday I woke up a lot. Night before I...
Ya know what?
Boop it.
Everytime I say I'm going to get an early night because I'm not going to sleep well otherwise the next night, I never get an early, peaceful night.
Screw you sleep. Screw you.

Griever
2008-09-24, 11:29 AM
And on an unrelated note, I hate tests. I've got way too many tomorrow. Yes, I know the student handbook says we can have that many in one day, but that doesn't mean they should!
:smallyuk:

I fully concur with every ounce of my being... but then again, I only have 1 exam today, but its in Chemistry, which, is, by all accounts, evil.

I don't even think chemists like Chemistry... its just applied physics anyway. :smallbiggrin:

Destro_Yersul
2008-09-24, 11:30 AM
Screw you sleep. Screw you.

That's the spirit!

Just don't stay up so long you start hallucinating.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-24, 11:48 AM
Jibar.
Y'know what I just found?

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj173/aguirrefan/cupcake-cookiemonster.jpg

randman22222
2008-09-24, 11:51 AM
Jibar.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj173/aguirrefan/cupcake-cookiemonster.jpg

Those look good.

Edge
2008-09-24, 11:57 AM
Don't look massively edible, though. Too blue.

Lyesmith
2008-09-24, 11:59 AM
Mmm, blue...
Anyone doing A-level english got some good tipettes? I' shooting for an A grade on this bit of homework, but i'm kinda unsure on how to do so.

randman22222
2008-09-24, 12:01 PM
Find out what the author does, but, more importantly, why the f*** they do it.

I don't know. :smallconfused:
I just follow that golden rule, and I get good grades.

Vonriel
2008-09-24, 12:28 PM
Yes, there was. I believe it was Night Watch or possibly Jingo. Vimes definitely said it. And it was prolly to Carrot. And they were in Pseudopolis Yard at the time.

Well, there is clearly only one thing to do. I must re-read every one of the Watchmen books, in order to find this line. No, no, don't try and stop me, it must be done... :smalltongue:

Jibar
2008-09-24, 12:40 PM
That's the spirit!

Just don't stay up so long you start hallucinating.

I swear, with Spore on the computer now, going insomniac is a very inviting prospect.
Especially with all the work I should be doing.
Should being the optimum word. :smallbiggrin:

Jibar.

What kinda of twisted person would think of something like...
Oh yeah, me. :smalltongue:

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-24, 12:41 PM
Mmm, blue...
Anyone doing A-level english got some good tipettes? I' shooting for an A grade on this bit of homework, but i'm kinda unsure on how to do so.

Yes.
But tipettes depend on what your homework is. ELucidate, sweet coz. Elucidate.

Oh, and it turns out that Pascale is actually a girl. Funny that. Sounds like a guys name.

Kaelaroth
2008-09-24, 12:45 PM
Walking through the fair city of Welles, I saw a mother, prim and proper, address her plump, prim and sticky proper child as "Magenta". :smallyuk:

And I went to Kew Gardens today ('twas cool!) - my teachers complimented me on my work, but my mother was... less than intrigued.

Lyesmith
2008-09-24, 12:52 PM
It may not be clever..
But it is big and magenta.:smallamused:

The task at hand, madame C, is to evaluate and analyse a particular poem - "Always our likely finale". Just wonderinf if there are key words or phrases that are around A-grade material? I've got a decent theme for the essay already (Dereliction and the abandonment of the canals depicted within the poem), just need some words and that to tart it up a bit.

...Of course now i've got the image of Brown and Blair trying to "Sex up" a chip shop. It is most disturbing. Damn you, Ross Noble!

Kaelaroth
2008-09-24, 12:55 PM
...Of course now i've got the image of Brown and Blair trying to "Sex up" a chip shop. It is most disturbing. Damn you, Ross Noble!

Blair could pull it off. As Bridget Jones said in her booky wook, Blair was popular because he was the only British PM one could ever imagine doin' the dirty damn deeds with. But Brown = :eek:age.

Groundhog
2008-09-24, 01:09 PM
I'm going to be a bit cynical here, but what you need to do is write down anything that could be overanalyzed from the poem, and that'll get you a good grade.

Lyesmith
2008-09-24, 01:16 PM
Oh, mm. That is very much the essence of my plan!
It's just i know Curly and Jibar and some other people do english, at at a way higher level than me. Plus, a decent chunk of marks in english are just using certain fancy key-terms.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-24, 01:28 PM
It may not be clever..
But it is big and magenta.:smallamused:

The task at hand, madame C, is to evaluate and analyse a particular poem - "Always our likely finale". Just wonderinf if there are key words or phrases that are around A-grade material? I've got a decent theme for the essay already (Dereliction and the abandonment of the canals depicted within the poem), just need some words and that to tart it up a bit.

Terminolgy time:

Tripling: words, grammtical units, phrases or ideas repeated three times e.g. 'the good, the bad and the ugly' is a tripled set of abstract nouns.
Lexical set: a group of words with something in common i.e. a lexical set of desert like imagery.
Modifiers: can be positive (good) and negative (bad). All words that further detail something are modifiers. They are either pre - modifiers (come before the word they describe) or post - modifiers (after the word).
Anaphoric reference/anaphora: refers back to seomthing already said or described. e.g. The old cat lay on the path, black fur warming under the sun. 'Black fur' anaphorically refers to the cat.
Cataphoric reference/cataphora: refers to something that will be described later. .e.g. Red as blood. That was the colour of her dress on the day it happened. 'Red as blood' anaphorically refers to the dress.
Foreshadowing: hinting at what is to come
Enjambement: a sentence carried onto the next line/verse without a break. See: most modern poems.
Dynamic/passive verbs: dynamic verbs do something that happens physically e.g. to run. Passive verbs are more conceptual .e.g. to love.
Active/passive voice: Active voice is where the sentence goes Subject Verb Object e.g. He (subject) ran (verb) to the door (object). Passive voice goes Verb Object Subject: Running to the dog he . . .
Personifcation: giving human qualities to a non -human being or object.
CONNOTATION/CONNOTES: what a word IMPLIES. White IMPLIES purity and innocence.
DENOTATION/DENOTES: the DEFINITION of a word; what it really is. White DENOTES a blank colour/lack of colour.
Fricatives: consonance (similar sounding consonants) with 'f' or 'ph' sounds e.g. 'the frantic phantom'.
Sibilance: same as above. With 's' sounds.
Plosives: 'b', 'p' sounds. F'r'instance 'the brown bananananana parade . . .' When you say it the sound 'explodes' from your lips.
Cacaphonic: any harsh sound or phrase. Often plosives.
Euphonic: any soft or beautiful sound or phrase. Often sibilance or fricatives.

That good enough? I could do more and go on about adverbs and how they're either conjuncts (therefore, however etc) which adds further information to a sentence; adjuncts (any word used as a modifier); disjuncts (a word that gives an opinion i.e. perhaps, honestly, doubtfully etc.) or something else I foget.
Basically anything that adds further information to the sentence is an adverb. And don't even get me started on predication sentence adjuncts!
But anything like that is, to be honest, way beyond you and actually most second years. They'd need to look at their glossaries to find out the exact term.

Now the most important piece of advice I can give you is this:

JUSTIFY EVYTHING YOU POINT OUT!!
Everything. Sure, it's a simile. Why is it there? Why did the author choose that exact word?
Why use a simple sentence? Why not a complex sentence? Justify everything and as long as it makes sense they'll have to mark it right.

Lyesmith
2008-09-24, 01:30 PM
Terminolgy time:

Tripling: words, grammtical units, phrases or ideas repeated three times e.g. 'the good, the bad and the ugly' is a tripled set of abstract nouns.
Lexical set: a group of words with something in common i.e. a lexical set of desert like imagery.
Modifiers: can be positive (good) and negative (bad). All words that further detail something are modifiers. They are either pre - modifiers (come before the word they describe) or post - modifiers (after the word).
Anaphoric reference/anaphora: refers back to seomthing already said or described. e.g. The old cat lay on the path, black fur warming under the sun. 'Black fur' anaphorically refers to the cat.
Cataphoric reference/cataphora: refers to something that will be described later. .e.g. Red as blood. That was the colour of her dress on the day it happened. 'Red as blood' anaphorically refers to the dress.
Enjambement: a sentence carried onto the next line/verse without a break. See: most modern poems.
Dynamic/passive verbs: dynamic verbs do something that happens physically e.g. to run. Passive verbs are more conceptual .e.g. to love.
Active/passive voice: Active voice is where the sentence goes Subject Verb Object e.g. He (subject) ran (verb) to the door (object). Passive voice goes Verb Object Subject: Running to the dog he . . .
DENOTATION/DENOTES: the DEFINITION of a word; what it really is. White DENOTES a blank colour/lack of colour.
Fricatives: consonance (similar sounding consonants) with 'f' or 'ph' sounds e.g. 'the frantic phantom'.
Plosives: 'b', 'p' sounds. F'r'instance 'the brown bananananana parade . . .' When you say it the sound 'explodes' from your lips.

That good enough? I could do more and go on about adverbs and how they're either conjuncts (therefore, however etc) which adds further information to a sentence; adjuncts (any word used as a modifier); disjuncts (a word that gives an opinion i.e. perhaps, honestly, doubtfully etc.) or something else I foget.
Basically anything that adds further information to the sentence is an adverb. And don't even get me started on predication sentence adjuncts!
But anything like that is, to be honest, way beyond you and actually most second years. They'd need to look at their glossaries to find out the exact term.

Now the most important piece of advice I can give you is this:

JUSTIFY EVYTHING YOU POINT OUT!!
Everything. Sure, it's a simile. Why is it there? Why did the author choose that exact word?
Why use a simple sentence? Why not a complex sentence? Justify everything and as long as it makes sense they'll have to mark it right.

I love you. We've covered some of those terrms, but oooohhh! SOme of the ones we havent! :smallbiggrin: (I literally made a "Squeeee!" face and did the arms of joy)
I am going to Prod Buttock.

Jibar
2008-09-24, 01:39 PM
It's just i know Curly and Jibar and some other people do english, at at a way higher level than me. Plus, a decent chunk of marks in english are just using certain fancy key-terms.

You don't want to really on me for anything work related really.
I don't do much work at college, and when I do it's purely based on intuition. I have no idea what I write in my essays or in exams, but apparantly it lets me pass with a very nice mark, so I'm not complaining. :smalltongue:
(Seriously, my friends hate me for this.)
Now as Curly has so nicely proven, she's best to ask.
You wanna know how to really waste your time, come to me. You wanna pass, go to Curly. :smalltongue:

mangosta71
2008-09-24, 01:41 PM
This is why I could never be an English major. All this analysis takes the joy out of reading. Besides, it's all subjective. I'm not thinking about the implications of what I'm writing when I jot down a few lines of poetry, and I doubt that authors a couple hundred years ago were thinking along those lines either.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-24, 01:41 PM
I love you. We've covered some of those terrms, but oooohhh! SOme of the ones we havent! :smallbiggrin: (I literally made a "Squeeee!" face and did the arms of joy)
I am going to Prod Buttock.

I'd be incredibly surprised if you'd covered all those terms, let alone in any great detail. That's just me doing what I can recall (that's quite fancy) off the top of my head. How can I put this? Ah, if you use any of the adverb ones correctly in an AS exam (for E Lang let alone the other two) you're going to get immense Brownie points.
I'd say more stuff but I'd think you'd know them. F'r'instance the difference between minor, simple, complex, compund and compound complex sentence types. What the three main sentence moods are. Narrative stances and the like.

Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh!
CCAATTTP! That is the perfect introductory paragraph:
Content - what happening in the text.
Context - where is the text (in the book/play) and all social/political or extra info surrounding the text i.e. could any of it reflect what happened at time of writing.
Audience - whose it intended for? If it's children it'll have a lower register with less jargon in it.
Attitude - what attitude does the piece show
Text type - article? Story? Poem? etc.
Tone - what tone does the piece have? More than one? Why?
Theme - any themes?
Purpose - either to entertain, explain or persuade or a mixture of the three.
Then do discourse (structure, register (level of words - polysyllabic is higher than monosyllabic) etc.); grammar (sentences and the like); lexis (words and imagery) and then phonics (sounds). Think of it as a cone.
Widest at the top dealing with the text as a whole. The the structure is breaking into down into paragraphs. Grammar is at sentence level. Lexis is word level. Phonics is sound level.
[/help]
For now.

EDIT:
@^: actually I find it makes reading more enjoyable. And I'm not an 'English major' I'm not in uni yet. And most people are subconciously aware of what they're writing. How often have you been writing something, then realised that sentence X wasn't right for the piece and rewrote it? And you can at least draw conclusions on things. People will reference past events and contemporary ones in their work.

Oh, 'zira: use the words 'probably', 'could be seen as' and 'others could say' so it looks like you're giving two interpetations on something. You know, some people would think that 'white flowers' could connote innocence and purity, while others could find them unsettling as white flowers, especially lillies, are often associated with death.'

Lyesmith
2008-09-24, 01:55 PM
I'd be incredibly surprised if you'd covered all those terms, let alone in any great detail. That's just me doing what I can recall (that's quite fancy) off the top of my head. How can I put this? Ah, if you use any of the adverb ones correctly in an AS exam (for E Lang let alone the other two) you're going to get immense Brownie points.
I'd say more stuff but I'd think you'd know them. F'r'instance the difference between minor, simple, complex, compund and compound complex sentence types. What the three main sentence moods are. Narrative stances and the like.

Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh!
CCAATTTP! That is the perfect introductory paragraph:
Content - what happening in the text.
Context - where is the text (in the book/play) and all social/political or extra info surrounding the text i.e. could any of it reflect what happened at time of writing.
Audience - whose it intended for? If it's children it'll have a lower register with less jargon in it.
Attitude - what attitude does the piece show
Text type - article? Story? Poem? etc.
Tone - what tone does the piece have? More than one? Why?
Theme - any themes?
Purpose - either to entertain, explain or persuade or a mixture of the three.
Then do discourse (structure, register (level of words - polysyllabic is higher than monosyllabic) etc.); grammar (sentences and the like); lexis (words and imagery) and then phonics (sounds). Think of it as a cone.
Widest at the top dealing with the text as a whole. The the structure is breaking into down into paragraphs. Grammar is at sentence level. Lexis is word level. Phonics is sound level.
[/help]
For now.

EDIT:
@^: actually I find it makes reading more enjoyable. And I'm not an 'English major' I'm not in uni yet. And most people are subconciously aware of what they're writing. How often have you been writing something, then realised that sentence X wasn't right for the piece and rewrote it? And you can at least draw conclusions on things. People will reference past events and contemporary ones in their work.

Oh, 'zira: use the words 'probably', 'could be seen as' and 'others could say' so it looks like you're giving two interpetations on something. You know, some people would think that 'white flowers' could connote innocence and purity, while others could find them unsettling as white flowers, especially lillies, are often associated with death.'

My English teacher is going to have Kittens with this. Kittens of pure mewling joy. If i was such a shameless swot for any other subject i'd be top of the school :smallbiggrin:

*Confesses further and undying love for Curly*
I shall write a poem, or something, and dedicate it to Lady C. :smalltongue:
It's buttock-prodding time!

mangosta71
2008-09-24, 02:06 PM

Or possibly plagiarize something written by someone else. :smalltongue:

Lyesmith
2008-09-24, 02:10 PM
Literary Pilfering? Moi!
Surely not, sir!

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-24, 02:15 PM
Curly, you know one of the many reasons I crush on you is that you're so much smarter at english then me? You don't need to keep impressing me...:smallwink:

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-24, 03:15 PM
My English teacher is going to have Kittens with this. Kittens of pure mewling joy. If i was such a shameless swot for any other subject i'd be top of the school :smallbiggrin:

*Confesses further and undying love for Curly*
It's buttock-prodding time!

As long as it's posted in the Shipping thread.
And I'm actually mildly surprised you weren't told about the introductory paragraph and essay structure. And then I remember Guy. Dead cat ice cream with purposeful balls.
That's how we remember our CCAATTTP and essay structure. And being a shameless swot is easy if you love the subject. If you want a shameless swot then look at my latest printer cedits:
17 page The Parlement of Foules (The Parliament of Fowls) by Chaucer in its original 'language' i.e. not in Modern English.
And a 27 page introduction/breakdown of the language familes and the main branches to each family.
Total swot.
But if you've really not been told the essay structure (or some of those linguistic terms) I suggest you write them down or save them on your computer if you've not done so already. And remember: my PM box is always open so I can really give you some terminology and advice.

@DD: I speak English as a first language, not a second. I've just got an advantage over you in that I've been speaking and learning it longer. And I love it.
So I'm not necessarily smarter. Actually I think you are for being able to speak so fluently in a foreign language.

And I love pain au chocolat. I've just eaten one and I've got one left. Gorgeous little things. *nom nom noms*

Dihan
2008-09-24, 03:29 PM
I was given a university level Ontological Argument excerpt to read by my teacher. He gave the two copies he had to the best students in the class.

It's 86 pages long and has really complex language. I've been needing something new to read in bed.

mercurymaline
2008-09-24, 03:32 PM
Terminolgy time:

Erm...:redface:

Marry me?

Edge
2008-09-24, 03:32 PM
And I love pain au chocolat. I've just eaten one and I've got one left. Gorgeous little things. *nom nom noms*

I concur.

Though the non-vegetarians in my family still swear by crispy bacon on warm croissants.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-24, 03:41 PM

Marry me?

Bu - whu - why?
It wasn't that impressive. And I've had too many proposals as it is. Sowwy.

@Edge:
Truly scrummy little morsels. But you're a veggie? Huh. Why? I've always been mystified by people who want to be veggies. They miss out on so much stuff.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-24, 03:43 PM
@DD: I speak English as a first language, not a second. I've just got an advantage over you in that I've been speaking and learning it longer. And I love it.
So I'm not necessarily smarter. Actually I think you are for being able to speak so fluently in a foreign language.

:smallredface: Thenks.

Marry me?
She's mine!
But isn't she going to the prom with Dr. Bath?
Darn you little voice inside my head, darn you...

DraPrime
2008-09-24, 03:45 PM

The dutch tend to be good at English.

Jibar
2008-09-24, 03:45 PM
@Edge:
Truly scrummy little morsels. But you're a veggie? Huh. Why? I've always been mystified by people who want to be veggies. They miss out on so much stuff.

We could in turn say you miss out on so much stuff.
Like the moral high ground. :smalltongue:
But that's an argument best left for the number of people who say "Wow you're vegetarian?" to me every week.

Fun Fact: I have a friend who is incredibly right wing. As in on a test in his politics class to discover their political standing, he scored more right than the Nazi party (go Godwinning RB!).
Anyway, this friend is vegetarian.
The mind boggles.

Semidi
2008-09-24, 03:49 PM
\
Fun Fact: I have a friend who is incredibly right wing. As in on a test in his politics class to discover their political standing, he scored more right than the Nazi party (go Godwinning RB!).
The mind boggles.

Well Hitler was a vegetarian too.

So they all must be evil. I know I am.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-24, 03:50 PM
You auto- get that when you side with the llama.:smallcool:

Lyesmith
2008-09-24, 03:51 PM
It must be lonely up there, on the moral high ground, with Elton and Mother Theresa.

I am way too easily distracted. I've done like, a paragraph of this essay so far. I can do it, but things keep happening to stop me!

Kaelaroth
2008-09-24, 03:53 PM
It must be lonely up there, on the moral high ground, with Elton and Mother Theresa.

I am way too easily distracted. I've done like, a paragraph of this essay so far. I can do it, but things keep happening to stop me!

a) Aaand Frankie Boyle on that rare occasion of Mock the Week: "The air is so clean up here...."
b) WORK! WORK MAN, FOR THE LOVE OF FISHSTICKS AND EROTICA!

Jibar
2008-09-24, 03:57 PM

Hitler was only a vegetarian due to health concerns.
He ate some meat, but not a lot.

Anyway, enough Godwin...

DraPrime
2008-09-24, 03:59 PM

Ahhhh, guilt by association, is there any contrived BS that you can't accomplish? :smalltongue:

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-24, 04:00 PM
We could in turn say you miss out on so much stuff.
But that's an argument best left for the number of people who say "Wow you're vegetarian?" to me every week.

The mind boggles.

So was Hitler.[/possible argument over politics and stuff] And your college does tests like that? Internet? It'd be cool if you could do that for English and it'd tell you what genre you were.
Hard to decie how which answer would get you what; but I'd almost certainly end up with fantasy.
Oh, and speaking of Lit: how's this for a bloody annoying question: (scenario first: we're about to do On First Reading Chapman's Homer - a sonnet by Keats - about the influnce of Homers' poems on Keats) and we were asked:
What book or series of books has most influenced you/you loved the most/[similar queries] and why?
Yuhuh. And this is Koorly we're talking about. The one who only reads books she loves. The one who is infulenced by every single thing she's ever read ever. Bar Potter.
And we had to pick one.
Sheer annoyance. WHy can't teachers understand people like this? Well they can, but they still expect the impossible answer.
What'd you say?
In the end I just said 'Widdle bwue hermit cwab ith th thad. And Pratchett is amazing'. And then she wouldn't let me explain why I couldn't pick one book or, when I'd picked an author, why I truly loved his work. She assumed it was because it was funny. Yes it is. But by Offler. Let a girl explain herself.

And you're a veggie? Huh. Never would have thought that. And moral high ground may be tasty for the soul, but the body loves the meat so much more.
God, I want a bacon bite so much now! Bacon and cheese wrapped in puff pastry and then cooked until the cheese is all melty and a bit crunchy and the bacon is perfectly cooked.
*dribbles*
Damn it!

Lyesmith
2008-09-24, 04:02 PM
Oh Gods.
Io forgive me, for i have sinned.
I'm not even past page 10 of Nation.
Waily waily waily!

Thufir
2008-09-24, 04:02 PM
Numfar! Do the dance of maths!

Well, that's my non-sequitur for the day. I like maths.

There's… antimony arsenic aluminum selenium and hydrogen and oxygen and nitrogen and rhenium and nickel neodymium neptunium germanium and iron americium ruthenium uranium…
*gasp*

… was that quite necessary?
Yeah, probably, come to think of it. :smalltongue:

I am the very model of the modern major general,
I've information vegetable, animal and mineral,
I know the kings of England and I quote the facts historical,
From Marathon to Waterloo in order categorical.

I'm very well acquainted too with matters mathematical,
I understand equations both the simple and quadratical,
About binomial theorem I am teeming with a lot of news,
With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypoteneuse.

I'm very good at integral and differential calculus,
I know the scientific names of beings animalculous,
In short, in matter vegetable, animal and mineral,
I am the very model of the modern major general...

That was definitely necessary.

Kaelaroth
2008-09-24, 04:03 PM
Oh Gods.
Waily waily waily!

We may ha'' nae quin/king/laird, but I'm willing to elect one to execute your heretical ass for that slight! :smallmad:
*really wants his ordered copy of Nation to turn up*

DraPrime
2008-09-24, 04:04 PM
Oh Gods.
Waily waily waily!

Oh please, I'm already destined to be used as Satan's toilet paper when I'm in hell for not even starting that book. So don't complain.

Oregano
2008-09-24, 04:06 PM
Ooo, I learnt about how 1=0 in maths today, of course it's nottrue but i's an interesting thought that it would totally destroy maths and a lot of science.

on a totally unrelated note, how awesome were Soundgarden? their lyrics were just, so cool.

Phase
2008-09-24, 04:06 PM
Pfft. I haven't read ANY Pratchett yet. If you're the toilet paper, I'm the toilet. But fear not! I'll be borrowing one of Festy's soon. Now just to pick which one...

Lyesmith
2008-09-24, 04:07 PM
...Oh, score. No englis till friday!
I'll delay my half-baked essay till then, then. I can do my psych worksheet in the morning, and blag human Bio.

Nation time!

Kaelaroth
2008-09-24, 04:08 PM
Pfft. I haven't read ANY Pratchett yet. If you're the toilet paper, I'm the toilet. But fear not! I'll be borrowing one of Festy's soon. Now just to pick which one...

Wyrd Sisters. Or Mort. Or Guards! Guards!.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-24, 04:09 PM
Oh Gods.
Waily waily waily!

You sir, have commited a grave sin. Now read about the sad little blue hermit crab lest you be smitten by She Who Helps You With Your English Essays!

I am the very model of the modern major general,
I've information vegetable, animal and mineral,
I know the kings of England and I quote the facts historical,
From Marathon to Waterloo in order categorical.

I'm very well acquainted too with matters mathematical,
I understand equations both the simple and quadratical,
About binomial theorem I am teeming with a lot of news,
With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypoteneuse.

I'm very good at integral and differential calculus,
I know the scientific names of beings animalculous,
In short, in matter vegetable, animal and mineral,
I am the very model of the modern major general...

That was definitely necessary.

You, my most mathematical sir, have won an internet. It truly was necessary and now I'm off to learn it.

Edge
2008-09-24, 04:10 PM
I didn't choose to be a veggie. I don't do it for some moral reason. I just can't stand meat.

Fish is fine though. I love me some fish'n'chips.

DraPrime
2008-09-24, 04:12 PM
I didn't choose to be a veggie. I don't do it for some moral reason. I just can't stand meat.

Fish is fine though. I love me some fish'n'chips.

You and I seem to differ greatly. I absolutely love all meat, except for fish. Anything that comes from the sea I simply hate eating. Unless it's lobster. Mmmmmm, lobster...

Thufir
2008-09-24, 04:14 PM
You, my most mathematical sir, have won an internet. It truly was necessary and now I'm off to learn it.

I can post up the rest of it if you want. That was just what I could remember without checking the script. Oh, and sigged.

Lyesmith
2008-09-24, 04:15 PM
Ah, Edge, i sympathise. A freind of my fathers is unble to eat meat, has never been able to. Makes her violently sick, the poor thing.:smallfrown:

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-24, 04:15 PM
FIsh is gorgeous. Especially seeing as I live near a port. Fresh fish 'n' chips.

I also find it funny that people throw off their homwork to read Pratchett. Or just want to read it full stop. Pratchett: corupting and educating todays readers.

EDIT:
@Thufir: please do. I'm listening to some renditions on YouTube. I'm amazed at how fast they have to sing. ANd the chorus type people sing so fast . . . :smalleek: Awesome, but :smalleek: as well.

Rawhide
2008-09-24, 04:20 PM
Thufir: ? (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=6h82fq5YHZM)

Oregano
2008-09-24, 04:21 PM
I just think of Alan on Two and A Half Men singing the first verse.

Rawhide
2008-09-24, 04:32 PM
Curly: http://www.guntheranderson.com/v/data/iamtheve.htm

Thufir
2008-09-24, 04:34 PM
*Reaches for copy of 'Gilbert and Sullivan: The Savoy Operas'*
It continues:

I know our mythic history, King Arthur's and Sir Caradoc's,
I answer hard acrostics, I've a pretty taste for paradox,
I quote in elegiacs all the crimes of Heliogabalus,
In conics I can floor peculiarities parabolous.
I can tell undoubted Raphaels from Gerard Dows and Zoffanies,
I know th croaking chorus from the Frogs of Aristophanes,
Then I can hum a fugue of which I've heard the music's din afore,
And whistle all the airs from that infernal nonsense Pinafore.

Then I can write a washing bill in Babylonic cuneiform,
And tell you every detail of Caractacus's uniform,
In short, in matters vegetable, animal and mineral,
I am the very model of a modern Major-General.

In fact, when I know what is meant by 'mamelon' and 'ravelin',
When I can tell at sight a chassepot rifle from a javelin,
When such affairs as sorties and surprises I'm more wary at,
And when I know precisely what is meant by 'commisariat',
When I have learned what progress has been made in modern gunnery,
When I kknow more of tactics than a novice in a nunnery;
In short, when I've a smattering of elemental strategy,
You'll say a better Major-General had never sat a gee.

For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century,
But still in matters vegetable, animal and mineral,
I am the very model of a modern Major-General.

Thufir: ? (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=6h82fq5YHZM)

And ? to you too, though I don't see what that video has to do with anything.

Edit: ^Or, yeah, you could just find the words on the internet.

Rawhide
2008-09-24, 04:36 PM
Curly: Also, http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=vytosDX9dVM&feature=related

And ? to you too, though I don't see what that video has to do with anything.

Check your signature :smallwink:

Oregano
2008-09-24, 04:47 PM
Got some Cadbury's jaffa cakes, not that nice, the spongy bit(or what ever it is) is a bit hard, I much prefer mcvities(sp?).

Thufir
2008-09-24, 04:50 PM
Hmm. Given the song title, I'm guessing it's too big somehow? *Checks* *Resizes image which was 3 pixels too tall* That better? If there's something else you'll have to more specifically point it out to me.

Edit: Wait, it doesn't appear to have resized properly. Hang on.

Edit2: There. Although now it looks slightly blurry.

Rawhide
2008-09-24, 05:06 PM
Thufir: Check the lyrics of your signature picture against the lyrics of the song.

Thufir
2008-09-24, 05:13 PM
Oh, right. No, different song. I'd include a link of my barbershop quartet singing it, but at the first opportunity my digital camera ran out of batteries, at the second opportunity I forgot the music, and the third opportunity will have to wait for our bass to come back from Birmingham. Or we could replace him.

DraPrime
2008-09-24, 06:29 PM
Hmmmm, it seems that one of my mistakes is going to screw me very soon. A few weeks ago I lost my math textbook, and was unable to do quite a bit of math homework. I found it recently, and started to do my homework again, but my math teacher contacted my parents and told them that I hadn't been doing my work. Now it seems I am going to lose just about every privilege, including my internet. Of course, it's my fault in the end, which is what irritates me so much.

Uncle Festy
2008-09-24, 08:19 PM
It must be lonely up there, on the moral high ground, with Elton and Mother Theresa.And Greg Mortenson.
… please tell me you know who Greg Mortenson is…

Oh please, I'm already destined to be used as Satan's toilet paper when I'm in hell for not even starting that book. So don't complain.Heck, I haven't gotten a chance to order it!
This makes me sad… :smallfrown:

But that's an argument best left for the number of people who say "Wow you're vegetarian?" to me every week.…
Wow, you're a vegetarian?

Hmmmm, it seems that one of my mistakes is going to screw me very soon. A few weeks ago I lost my math textbook, and was unable to do quite a bit of math homework. I found it recently, and started to do my homework again, but my math teacher contacted my parents and told them that I hadn't been doing my work. Now it seems I am going to lose just about every privilege, including my internet. Of course, it's my fault in the end, which is what irritates me so much.Aww, that sucks.
Good luck!

Skippy
2008-09-24, 10:07 PM
In the news:

-Star Wars: Force Unleashed is awesome.

-My sister returned home yesterday.

-A car almost ran over my leg today. It was scary.

SMEE
2008-09-24, 10:29 PM
And it has begun... I have a 8 hours lecture to give in 9 hours, my body is jet lagged, the time zone is different from what I'm used and my biological clock will slap me in the face. My plane back home is at friday 02:45 am, 4 connections. Landing home, I head straight to work to work up to 18:00.

Back home I'll find my older brother, who is a major bigot, and have to deal with him around, which means no sleep.

Next few days will be fun...

The Bushranger
2008-09-24, 10:53 PM
It's now fall. I heard the first Northern Flicker of the winter in the yard today. The catbirds will be back anytime...

Ego Slayer
2008-09-24, 11:20 PM
I ain't givin' you no catbirds back, boy!
*keeps all of them* :smallbiggrin:

I'm also not giving you back any of the warblers. :smallamused:

Oh, yeah... and the parrot I ate. I can't give him back either. P=

mangosta71
2008-09-25, 12:03 AM
You're just gonna eat them!
*tackles Ego*
The catbirds shall go free!

Vonriel
2008-09-25, 12:04 AM
Catbirds? Are they constantly trying to eat themselves or something? How could such a combination exist..?

Player_Zero
2008-09-25, 12:09 AM
Cats with wings... Cool...

The skies wouldn't be safe! A catbird armada!

Ah ha ha! Ah haha haha!
Ah ha ha! Ah haha haha!
Ah ha ha! Ah haha haha!

Bitzeralisis
2008-09-25, 12:17 AM
Someone draw a catbird. Now. :smalltongue:

Edit: I'm also debating joining AMEN.

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-25, 02:05 AM
If you like RPing evil characters and you don't like groups where people post really quickly, AMEN would be the best choice (I think NO and GLOG have similar paces, but HALO is sometimes seen as being too fast).

dish
2008-09-25, 03:33 AM
In the news:

-My sister returned home yesterday.

Great news! (How long do you think she'll stay this time?)

And it has begun... I have a 8 hours lecture to give in 9 hours, my body is jet lagged, the time zone is different from what I'm used and my biological clock will slap me in the face. My plane back home is at friday 02:45 am, 4 connections. Landing home, I head straight to work to work up to 18:00.

Back home I'll find my older brother, who is a major bigot, and have to deal with him around, which means no sleep.

Can't help you with the jet-lag and lack of sleep, but I'm positive you will be perfect during your lecture. Anyone with an avatar like your's would have to be. (That means I totally love your avatar.)
8 hour lecture? What on earth?

Ignore the bigoted brother, just go home, go straight to be, and sleep the sleep of the just. You will deserve it after that.

Sharrow
2008-09-25, 03:44 AM
Yeah, ignore your brother, I can't imagine (if hes older than you) that he keeps you up at night with loud music etc., so just don't engage with him.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-09-25, 04:04 AM
I assume hes biggoted for one of what I see as the stupidist reaons. In which case, frag him.
By this, I don't mean "Kill" in any way, simply as short hand for "Forget about".

Sharrow
2008-09-25, 04:15 AM
Giving people like that an attention only encourages them. Its best to treat them as if they're stupid of childish rather than trying to engage them in any sort fo debate.

bosssmiley
2008-09-25, 04:55 AM
Someone draw a catbird. Now. :smalltongue:

Edit: I'm also debating joining AMEN.

/RB/ is not your private worth1000.com (http://www.worth1000.com). But worth1000.com may be...:smalltongue:

Catbird:
http://www.worth1000.com/entries/14000/14330_w.jpg

Eggy is productive today. *fondle important documents*

Nychta
2008-09-25, 05:01 AM
Jetlag: Try find the homeopathic remedy "NO JET-LAG" in a pharmacy. It's in a slim blue and white box, and is made in NZ. It's really good, if you follow the directions.

Phase
2008-09-25, 05:32 AM
Catbird...

Weird, man. That would be surreal...

Recaiden
2008-09-25, 06:54 AM
That's an awesome picture. But somehow i expected them to have front legs. :smallconfused:

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-25, 08:05 AM
SMEE stole my avvie! And catnapped my cat! :smalleek:
Phone the police.

It's nice though.

Concerning moronic brothers: the best thing to do is to be as patronising as hell towards them. Treat them as if they're all seven year olds.
Works like a charm. And deliberately confuse them and then when they say they don't understand look at them as if to say 'that was such a simple concept, how could you not get it?'.
Superior snobbery is the best part of being the eldest. And a girl.

bosssmiley
2008-09-25, 08:08 AM
Royal Navy won't fight pirates in case they claim asylum (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/25/royal_navy_pirate_asylum_seekers/).

Completely un-make-up-able. I thought for a second I'd overslept and awoken on April 1st.
Of course, the Tw@-o-Tron is in full effect over this. :smallamused:

(they're not even *proper* FSM-worshipping, parrot-having, rum-chugging pirate btw... :smallfurious: )

Thufir
2008-09-25, 08:25 AM
Superior snobbery is the best part of being the eldest. And a girl.

And don't forget British. We British have the best snobbery in the world.

The Bushranger
2008-09-25, 08:30 AM
I ain't givin' you no catbirds back, boy!
*keeps all of them* :smallbiggrin:

I'm also not giving you back any of the warblers. :smallamused:

Oh, yeah... and the parrot I ate. I can't give him back either. P=

*drives down to Miami*
*traps a large number of Common Mynas*
*drives up to Ohio*
*threatens to release the mynas if you don't let the catbirds go*
:smallamused:

...I would threaten you with Eurasian Collared-Doves, but I presume you've already got Dovezilla up there by now.

Eggy - Alas, your Catbird looks suspiciously like a Red X Bird. :smallconfused:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-25, 08:36 AM
DD's chronic migraine is feasting upon DD's school filled with mentally troubled children and incompetent teachers.

:smallfrown:

TwoBitWriter
2008-09-25, 08:48 AM
And don't forget British. We British have the best snobbery in the world.

And you guys built the Death Star (twice!) and destroyed Alderaan!

Ego Slayer
2008-09-25, 09:20 AM
@ Bushranger - Dovezilla... heheh. I really should go up to the Lake and see some of the warblers. 'Cos my woods is filled with poison ivy... and I'm veerrrrry much allergic to it. >.<'

Also... on "Cats with wings": Reminded me of the Ursala K. Le Guin book Catwings. I loved that book as a kid.

mangosta71
2008-09-25, 09:43 AM
Well, poison ivy is allergic to flamethrowers, so as long as you're properly equipped you should be fine.

Kaelaroth
2008-09-25, 11:37 AM
And you guys built the Death Star (twice!) and destroyed Alderaan!

No, we only made you think we destroyed Alderaan, in fact we just covered it in a large illusory blanket, and use it for comedy shows 24/7.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-25, 01:04 PM
Naturally. Only the British would use the Death Star to broadcast Dave.

Todays has been, in the words of Bill S. Preston esq. and Ted Theodore Logan, 'excellent'!
French Teacher's going to be away tomorrow so I don't have to do her homework until I'm actually in class. And can copy off'f someone. She's set work but it'll be easy so I can do lots of other stuff there as well.
Cassics Teacher was away today, he et us an essay to hand in Monday. And we don't have Classics until Tuesday. and he's prolly going to be away tomorrow as well so I get first and second essentially free.
But best of all today was that I got to chat with the geeky peoples of Classics all lecture. And now whenever someone talks about Oedipus they lose the Game. Just because one of my friends is also one of their friends (only found out today) and he texted Jacob the word 'potato' which made him think of My Friend which made him lose the game.
And because we saw Oedipus with vegetables whenever someone say Oedipus or anything about the play we lose the Game.
Hehe. :smallamused:
Word association + the Game = frequent, but fun loss.

And I the London account opens tomorrow at nine sharp so I'm running to the college shop as soon as I get in college to guarantee my place.
Today. Has. Been. Amazing.

Oregano
2008-09-25, 01:07 PM
Frankie Boyle's hosting the Golden Joystiqs apparently, I think that's what they're called, that's going to be awesome.

EDIT: I have a "study day" on thursdays, so I've been playing Kingdom Hearts 2 all day but I have about seven hours worth of homework for tomorrow, damn.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-25, 01:08 PM
Naturally. Only the British would use the Death Star to broadcast Dave.

Todays has been, in the words of Bill S. Preston esq. and Ted Theodore Logan, 'excellent'!
French Teacher's going to be away tomorrow so I don't have to do her homework until I'm actually in class. And can copy off'f someone. She's set work but it'll be easy so I can do lots of other stuff there as well.
Cassics Teacher was away today, he et us an essay to hand in Monday. And we don't have Classics until Tuesday. and he's prolly going to be away tomorrow as well so I get first and second essentially free.
But best of all today was that I got to chat with the geeky peoples of Classics all lecture. And now whenever someone talks about Oedipus they lose the Game. Just because one of my friends is also one of their friends (only found out today) and he texted Jacob the word 'potato' which made him think of My Friend which made him lose the game.
And because we saw Oedipus with vegetables whenever someone say Oedipus or anything about the play we lose the Game.
Hehe. :smallamused:
Word association + the Game = frequent, but fun loss.

And I the London account opens tomorrow at nine sharp so I'm running to the college shop as soon as I get in college to guarantee my place.
Today. Has. Been. Amazing.
Grats Curly.
Wish I could say the same.

Edge
2008-09-25, 02:43 PM
Is it wrong that I've been listening to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtAIvup6QOU) pretty much constantly for the past three weeks?

wadledo
2008-09-25, 02:49 PM

Awwww.:smallfrown:
Sorry I didn't see this earlier.
Do you need anybody eye-beamed for ya?:smallconfused:

Terumitsu
2008-09-25, 02:54 PM
Is it wrong that I've been listening to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtAIvup6QOU) pretty much constantly for the past three weeks?

I doubt it... It is kinda nice to listen to actually....

Now, if you think it's trying to hypnotize you into giving away all your money to a shady organization then I think it would be something to worry about.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-25, 03:19 PM

Tch.
I've been listening to Run Runaway (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHoPYLQvnQM&feature=related) at least fifteen times a day.
Addictive song. But so much fun. And Noddy looks like Tom Baker in the video as well.

Lyesmith
2008-09-25, 03:26 PM
I'm listening to the Ballad of Serenity. And doing my essay at the speed of light!

DraPrime
2008-09-25, 03:35 PM

And I've been listening to Ace of Spades (http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Vw402IaII) for the last month nonstop. It still isn't boring somehow, even though the singer absolutely sucks.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-25, 03:44 PM
I'm listening to the Ballad of Serenity. And doing my essay at the speed of light!

Oooh, this the E Lang/Lit one? How fares it? My terminology helping you out? And are you using the structure I told you about?

Lyesmith
2008-09-25, 03:46 PM
Yes madame, it indeed is. *bows*
I'll PM you what i've got so far, if you like?

Eldpollard
2008-09-25, 04:05 PM
For some reason I've been listening to My Sharona by the Knack. Actually I know exactly why. A friend lent me an Eerie Indiana box set. One episode involves the song rather heavily.

Destro_Yersul
2008-09-25, 04:23 PM
My brother bought Rock Band 2, and I was playing it this morning. I now have 'Eye of the Tiger' playing on an endless loop inside my skull.

It is driving me crazy, because I know approximately five of the words.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-25, 04:30 PM
My brother bought Rock Band 2, and I was playing it this morning. I now have 'Eye of the Tiger' playing on an endless loop inside my skull.

It is driving me crazy, because I know approximately five of the words.

It's the
Eye of the tiger
It's the cream of the fight
Rising up to the challenge of our rivals
As the last known survivor hunts his prey in the night
And he's watching us all with the
Eye of the tiger.

That's all I know of that song.
I know more of Tainted Love (the original version) and many 80s songs. Including Come on Eileen - Irishmen with fiddles in dugarees singing.
And Nightwish oddly enough. Had one of their songs in my head for eleven months now so I decided to find out which one it was. Still haven't found it, but I've found a new band.
Two actually because when Eng Lit Friend found out I liked them (she was surprised at that) she recommended Skillet. And it's good music.

Oregano
2008-09-25, 04:30 PM
Does any one know a reason that a deep focus earthquaker(below 70km) could occur?

I may make a homework help thread, I think there's been one before.

EDIT:The 80s were awesome.

I have a definitive eighties CD, my favourite song is either A Little Respect by Erasure or Take On Me by A-Ha.