Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
I don't hold 'this isn't what we normally do' as a statement with any power over what I should do in the future.

It applies to everything, but the average saves I think help describe the class. Plus, Always a Chance only kicks in at third level.
I recognize the usefulness of breaking from established norms, but I try to only do so when the same result cannot be achieved with standard practices.

Starting at Level 12, the bonus to saves from Always a Chance becomes greater than that from Base Saves. I can definitely imagine this confusing a player, though I suppose they'd only be missing out on a +1 if they didn't realize that they got a higher bonus from AaC.

The most obvious solution would be to bump them down to Poor Saves, with AaC obtained at first level with specific language indicating that this replaces the listed saves. The problem with this, of course, is how tasty it is to dipping. As-is, a bonus feat spendable on anything you meet the prereqs for looks pretty darn nice. Adding Jack of All Trades on top of that would be too much.

My suggestion: Instead of "Average Saves", list the bonus that they would get from AaC. If you're breaking from norms, I see no reason not to do it to it's best possible effectiveness. Make the saves listed still relevant past 12th. Even though the class doesn't get the AaC feature proper until 3rd, it makes sense that their Saves would follow that pattern before then.

Honestly it isn't that big of a problem, though. It's more of a matter of personal preference.