View Single Post

Thread: Skill Tricks for Martials

1. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Skill Tricks for Martials

Did you make a specific note on which utility powers were labelled "skill powers", and what skilled they were assigned to?
    I think Martial Powrr 1 and 2 had more of these.

Note how most of the lower level ones are absolute trash, and usually just take an action and turn it into a bonus action, and is usually has limited uses per day. This is intended, and I think it should stay that way. You need the players to know what it's like to just use the skills as written, before giving them superpowers.

So now we just have to agree on a chassis?
    I can see two options pop up immediately

1. Divide the skill powers into small lists based on power level. At each level a character would get a Skill Power he can select from a list corresponding with his level, or from a list of a lower level. You have a limit to how many skill powers you can know, but can swap one when you gain a level. This allows you to unlearn a low level power for a higher level version that does the same thing, but better.
    This has some really nice precedent in the game already, such as Spellcasting, Invocations and more.

2. Same as above, but instead of having the lists be determined by level, it's instead determined by your total proficiency bonus for that skill. This means that with expertise you gain access to higher level Skill Powers. There is no precedent for this, so I'm less excited about it.