View Single Post

Thread: Skill Tricks for Martials

1. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Skill Tricks for Martials

Yeah the main difference is that with expertise you get access to the higher level Skill Power list sooner that other classes.

Although, dividing the list by total bonus is also kind of cool.

At level 1 you gain 4 skill Powers. You need to be proficient in a Skill Power's associated Skill. What Skill List you choose your Skill Power from is determined by your total modifier to each skill. For example, a Sorcerer has +3 Charisma and Proficiency in Deception. His total bonus is +5, which allows him to choose a Deception Skill Power from either the +0 or +5 list. The same sorcerer has +1 Intelligence and is proficient in the Arcana skill. His total modifier of +3 at 1st level means he can only choose an Arcana Skill Power from the +0 Skill List. The Sorcerer not proficient in Acrobatics, and can therefor not choose any Skill Powers associated with that Skill proficiency.

Whenever you gain a level you can replace one Skill Power you know with another one from the Skill Lists.

Skill Powers +0
    Here are basic skill Powers, for everyone with a total modifier of 4 or less. You still need proficiency in order to pick a Power from this list.

Skill Powers +5
    Here are the next level of Skill Powers, which need at least a +5 total modifier to gain access to

Skill Powers +7
    Here are some solid Skill Powers, since you need a primary ability modifier and expertise to get this high early. You'll get this high automatically eventually, but having strong powers here really rewards those who specialize, and classes which get expertise.

Skill Powers +10
    Here are some really powerful Skill Powers, since you'd need a +4 modifier and expertise with a +3 proficiency bonus, which is very specific and only accessible post level 5.

Okay, I completely butchered the grammar on this one. I'm tired xD
    I'll fix it when I have a brain again ;)