View Single Post

Thread: Dammerung 2.0 - a 5e campaign journal

1. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Dammerung 2.0 - a 5e campaign journal

The geography of your world gave me an idea.

In the real world, there is a concept known as the terminator line. It is the line that separates the sunlit side of a celestial object from the shadowed side. This isn't very significant on our planet, because of the effects of the atmosphere. But... on an object without an atmosphere, which can scatter light and trap heat, the terminator signifies a sharp transition between temperature extremes (e.g. above desert hot to below arctic cold in the span of minutes).
    Now this has been explored in fiction before - I think there was a planet in the Star Wars EU where the inhabitants lived along the terminator of a tidally locked planet - the only temperate region, as the sunlit side would be permanently too hot, and the shadowed side, permanently too cold. Mass effect probably had a few planets like that too.

But this concept can be extended to other opposing forces. Like your light and dark energies. There could be just a narrow band of habitable zone along the equator of the planet, and anything outside would be a volatile environment of permanent radiance storms or a dark energy wasteland (possibly reminiscent of the positive/negative energy planes from the older D&D cosmology).

Apart from that, I saw the map. Your world seems distinctly small. Like maybe moon-sized at best. At least that's what the terrain features, compared to the scale of the map suggests. Is that on purpose or accidental, I wonder?

Sophia's backstory also reminds me of John Snow. No, not that one. The real life human, who is the father of Epidemiology. (It's a fascinating story.)
    Last edited by martixy; 2022-12-03 at 01:25 AM.