New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default The Land (Freeforum Game, Recruitment)

Sunspots. Sunspots are to blame for this whole mess. But it's not like you know that. All you know was that you were doing your thing at 3:45 PM, and suddenly the world vanished around you. No, you vanished from the world, falling through the torn seams and dropping into a strange, bizzare land, one so far from your average, ordinary life...

Yes, you were quite ordinary. As ordinary as a typical human could be, at least. And now your trapped in a magical land with... well, faries... and stuff. But evil and danger lurks around every corner... and with thier magic against your ordinaryness, what are you all to do?

Creating a Character:
    Now, I want all charactors to be as ordinary as possible. And if you make somebody thats absoluetly ordinary, then filling in the below feilds is compleatly unnecesary. "Ordinary" would be an unskilled worker, like a high school or college student that doesnt work out, has a job, but isnt independant. Or an adult that is independant, but doesnt have a job they'd have to go to more than four years of college or a vocational school for. But if you want somebody to be a professional, say, mechanic, or rocket scientist, or above average at skateboarding, then fill in these feilds. You have five points to distribute, whole numbers only. I know its not like real life, but I'm not letting you play Captain Amazing here.

Strength: How much excess strength above norm do they have? (you dont have to actually pick a sport) (1-exercises, 2-physical sport as hobby , 3-physical sport as major hobby, local tournament play , 4-physical sport minor leauges, 5-professional sports participant)
    Technician: How good are they at one professional feild? (only pick on feild) (1-student, 2-just graduated, 3-some feild experience, 4-very experienced, 5-genius)
    Hobby: How good are they at one hobby? (only pick on feild) (1-just starting, 2-some practice, 3-decent, 4-very good, 5-near professional)

You fall into the world carrying whatever you would have on a typical day at 3:45. This was not a special day, it was compleatly ordinary and average. Usually at work and bussing tables? In class with whatever's in your backpack? POOF it all comes with you. You can carry up to three items of personal meaning that have nothing to do with what you were doing at 3:45 PM on a perfectly ordinary day. They still have to make sense, however.

I reserve the right to say that your character concept is utterly ridiculous and shoot it down.
    I also reserve the right to say there is a max charactor limit... convince me you're the best pick.

A few things I'd like to note before you start thinking of playing.
    I will be very heavy in the details, and I expect people to read and pay attention.
    I also expect my players to also be specific with thier actions. Not all the time, of course, but if you are looking at something, describe how you look. Like, if you hold an object in your hands, do you poke it, or just turn it around and around? In a fight, please say specifically what hand what what direction you are hitting in, and what general area you are aiming for.
    The course of the game will depend heavily on the players' actions, but there is a specific mood and tone I'm trying to capture, a serious and quiet one, like the silent edge of being alone in an old house. At least, thats the first post as I wrote it, it might change, but please, this is a world and a game to take seriously and handle realistically. It wont be funny, or 'action!'y, and I hope that's alright.
    In fact, it might help if you mention what you yourself are looking for in this game.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: The Land (Freeforum Game, Recruitment)

John.
    STR: 2
    TECH: 2 (World/Natural History.)
    HOBBY (Learning languages.): 1

Who is this guy: He is John Robinson, a 22-year-old who just graduated.. At 3:45, he was debating the earliest known written language. carrying a briefcase and his lucky tiki idol. (5 in. tall.) He is wearing a black suit, and had on a pair of aviator sunglasses and a pilot cap. He has just graduated from UC Berkley, studying Natural History. He has tan skin, and black short hair.
    Last edited by Falgorn; 2009-03-28 at 10:52 AM.
    Dr, Bath's Dolly!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

For tech, whats his vocation? and who is this guy? what was he doing at 3:45, was he carrying any personal items?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Anna.
    STR - 1
    TECH - 2 (geography)
    HOBBY - 2 (languages)

She's a nearly-graduated college student who loves studying human culture and has a bit of a knack for learning foreign languages. Looks like she's going somewhere more foreign than anywhere else she's been, though.

She has the spring clothing on her back, her glasses and sunglasses, her backpack with some assorted textbooks and the sort of stuff most people have in their backpacks.

At 3:45, she was on her way across campus to class with her books and such.
    Last edited by A Rainy Knight; 2009-03-28 at 10:25 AM.
    High School Harem Comedy, my original game system!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Ramirez
    Str - 1
    Tech - 2 (Forensic Science)
    Hobby - 2 (Kung-Fu)

He's a bit of an absent-minded professor but his heart is often in the right place. He graduated from Harvard at the age of 25 and has been studying and practicing Kung-fu for 14 years.
    He enjoys discovering new things and his curiosity can sometimes get him into trouble.

He has some normal summertime clothes, a labcoat, some nun-chuks and blast goggles.

At 3.45pm he was in his laboratory trying to discover who framed Crocodile Carl.
    Last edited by Fredthefighter; 2009-03-28 at 10:44 AM.
    This avatar pierces the heavens and is by Miss Nobody!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.

"Whether it be impossible or laughable, Great men open up paths of battle! If there's a wall, we break it down! If there's no path, we'll make one with these hands! The heart's magma burns with flames!"

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fred, Falgorn, your points add up to six.

Fred, you cannot 'tinker' with Forensic Science. Be a little bit more descriptive... whnat is he doing?
    Last edited by Jjkaybomb; 2009-03-28 at 10:40 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

I've fixed it. I didn't see the bit about 5 points, I went over the OP a bit too quickly I think.
    This avatar pierces the heavens and is by Miss Nobody!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.

"Whether it be impossible or laughable, Great men open up paths of battle! If there's a wall, we break it down! If there's no path, we'll make one with these hands! The heart's magma burns with flames!"

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I fixed mine, too.
    Dr, Bath's Dolly!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Allie Piett.
    Str: 1 (Engineering-work is tough on the muscles.)
    Tech: 4 (Mechanical Engineering, works with large machines. Very good at it.)
    Hob: 0 (No hobbies. Her work is hobby enough.)

Allie Piett, age 24, has been entranced by machinery since she was 9. It's no wonder that her job is what it is---working on and engineering large pieces of tech.

Her hair is dark and shoulderblade-length. Her skin is pale-ish, and her eyes are tawny, brassy yellow. She is somewhat above average height, thin and wiry, and rather attractive in a rough sort of way.
    She wears a black half-top, a beat-up leather duster-coat, fingerless gloves, reddish leather pants, and heavy boots. This is not fashion, this is function; the duster's leather provides protection against flying bits of engines, and the pants and boots shield her legs likewise. Over her pants is a broad workbelt.

At 3:45, she was at work, heading toward a supply locker for something. Not important what it was.

She carries a hefty pipe-wrench, a pair of pliers/wire-cutters, and a small screwdriver.

Am I doing it wrong?
    Last edited by Beans; 2009-03-28 at 08:01 PM.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Spoiler: My Stories And Things
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dominicus Talarus
    Strengh: 3
    tech: 2 (farming... if that counts)
    hobby: 0 (he doesen't have time for hobbies

At 3:45, he was standing in the feilds, reaping crops with the sweltering afternoon sun blazing.

He has: a Scythe (a farming scthe, not really to practical for combat), a blunted dagger, and a skin full of ale...
    avvie by Sneak

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

I don't usually play these kinds of games and I don't usually have very long attention span, but I think I'll give this a whirl. Just for kicks. If it dosen't work out I guess my character can die in the middle of it.

Donald Gonzalous

Strength: 0
    Tech: 0
    Hobbies: 5 (guitar classical rock music)

Donald is a has-been rock star, burnt out and forgotten by the rest of the world. He has never been really famous, and any fame he had is now lost when his band broke up. He has a bit of an ego-problem. He also had a drug problem once which he has dealt with, but he is still affected by it today. He is a little stupid, and his attempts at philosophy make him sound like a cloudcookoolander. He is smarter then he looks, sort of. He occasionally speaks poetically as if he is writing a song.

At 3:45 he was asleep in a beanbag chair in his apartment. Whether it is AM or PM, that's what he was doing.

This character is based on a guy I know, so don't say it's not normal enough.
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2009-03-28 at 08:20 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Patrick
    Strength:0
    Technical stuff:5 (building computers and writing software)
    Hobby:0

Patrick was at his laptop designing a simple piece of facial recognition software at 3:45. He had his suitcase/laptop case hung over his shoulder via a strap.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Elisa
    Strength: 3 (Midfielder of Soccer (Football), but also plays Forward, Fullback, and Goalie. But Center Midi is preferred spot)
    Technician: 0 (Soccer is mostly her life)
    Hobby: 2 (In addition to soccer, as taken up drawing/painting. Some experience in art, but no formal education.)

Elisa is a American-Brazillan (father=was american), with half-dark (South American) skin. She, at first, played with just her friends, and they started up a tourtament between them and neighbors. Her team usually won. She plays rough, fast, and never gives up. She can catch onto things fairly quickly, and knows, basically, right from wrong.
    Her father was an American artist, so she learned some from him. That is also how she knows English (Common?)
    (Hope this is good)

At 3:45 she was walking home from a soccer game with some of her friends.
    She has, taken with her, a soccer ball, a pencil, and a large notebook of paper.
    Last edited by Je dit Viola; 2009-03-28 at 10:05 PM.
    I'm gone for a couple of years!
    I'm off doing service in developing countries in South America
    (Very little chance of internet access) - I'll try to come back afterwards

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Ryan

Strength: 1
    Technician: 4 (Politics.)
    Hobby: No

Ryan is in his early thirtys. He has light skin, dark hair and is tall. He is somewhat smarter then average. He is corrupt to the core and believes that you have the right to do whatever you can get away with. He is not uncivilised, quite the opposite, but he can be underhanded and brutal. At 3:45PM he was working on becoming a mayor. Also he framed Crocodile Carl in order to make his opponents suporters look dishonest.

He is wearing a formal suit. He is carying a briefcase,a notepad, writing suplys, money, a copy of the Evil Villians List, a (probably useless) laptop and a cell phone.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground

Evan
    Strength 2
    Tech 3 (Computers)
    Hobbies nope

Evan is a about 23 year old man who was a run of the mill geek really and takes a little karate here and there he's kind of a serious person and can be light hearted sometimes. At 3:45 he was just at work with his laptop and not much else. One thing he would still have with him anyway is an old ceremonial
    samurai sword that is just an antique not even sharp just holds sedimental value to him. He was a bit of an office drone in his normal life. And that's pretty much it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by celtois View Post
    Squeeeeee!!!! *Huggles the penguin avatar* Oh nice to see you Bergett.

Penguin is more important then you

My avatar is also a weapon I will one day use to take over the world.(Avi by Sweet_aphrodite, well the first one was.)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

(( Aww, Beans! You took the thing I wanted to do! ))
    Hank Kennedy
    Str:2
    Tech:3 (mechanics)
    Hobby:0 (He managed to make his work his hobby)
    He's a car mechanic. He's got a suped up ferrari with great suspension and hydrolics. But it didn't come with him. OOPS.
    He has a wrench, an oil can, and (please don't kill me) a small revolver with only 6 shots. The reason he has the gun is because-- What private mechanic doesn't have protection? C'mooon...

(( Oh, and Jj. I like the system. ))

(( Oh, and I just read Fred's post. ... Wait, what? ))
    Last edited by Durp; 2009-03-31 at 02:40 PM.

Spoiler
    Show