New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Default [3.5e] Favourite Gestalt Builds

There be a hell of a lot of Gestalt threads kicking about over the last couple of days but so very few of us will actually get to play in such a game. I only know one person that has read the gestalt rules but I do tell my players about them and tell them they are in for a rocking time if ever their party was reduced to three.

Still, what are your fantasy/best played gestalt combinations?

I really fancy a Barbarian//Swordsage, or if someone takes a hissy fit about ToB Barbarian//Scout. Pouncing Roaring Trap Killing Whirling Frenzied avatar of death. Shadow Striding out of Forcecages and Balancing on the Sky.

Something else would be a Duskblade//Factotum with factotum spell-likes covering for the lack of Duskblade buffs and some massive Int synergy. Pretty much Int to everything with some Knowledge Devotion, Arcane Disciple (Stength) and Arcane Strike thrown in for good measure.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5e] Favourite Gestalt Builds

I second Barbarian//Swordsage and I have one build that I like that's mainly crusader//sorcerer/pale master with a battle dancer dip thrown in.

Also Wildshape Ranger/Master of Many forms//something fun like psychic warrior or swordsage.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

The one I had the most fun with was Warblade//Factotum/Binder/Incarnate/Totemist/Warlock/Dragonfire Adept/Chameleon/Ardent/Cleric/etc. Warblade core with a hell of a lot of random abilities. Awfully fun to play. Great special forces-type fellow.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

My own character, Ashator the Daelkyr, especially in his Alternate Form.

Seriously, though, everything is fun with ToB in Gestalt. Though since I saw it, I really want to try Djinn in Tonic's Madspark Eccentric with an Artificer/Effigy Master/Eccentric on one side and full barbarian on the other.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #5

Barbarian 1 / Ardent / Frenzied Berserker 5 / More Ardent // Cloistered Cleric / Frenzied Berserker 6-8

Fun times. Psionics, Divine Spells. Pretty much the only limit to what you can do is what combinations you come up with.

You can turn into a regular blender at high levels. It's a thinking man's Hulk Smash.
    Last edited by PhoenixRivers; 2009-10-04 at 07:25 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

My favorite would be the Factotum/Wizard-incantrix-Archmage. Can't go wrong by boosting your wizards HD, Reflex, BAB, Skills, and of course action economy meltdown.

Next up the Duskblade/Fighter-Weapon Master-ArchBlade(homebrew if allowed). Can kill the Tarresque(can't remember how to spell it) in 1-2 hits.

Druid/Barbarion-Frenzied Beserker. Doesn't matter what you transform into. With a killer list of buff spells, and rage/frenzy, you can be a squirrel and still strike fear in the masses.
    You live in your world and I'll live in mine. Invade my world and I'll go medieval on your subconscious tookus.

Do not mistake my inaction for fear or doubt, if I desire you to hang yourself by your own rope why should I hasten the inevitable?

Do not underestimate me, for I have not underestimated you...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Running a solo campaign over my wife, to strenghthen her game if we ever find a group we like again, and she's playing a cleric/crusader. With war and fire domain, this character has yet to be thrown against anything she doesn't mow down in a few rounds.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Ranger//Ranger

Enough said.
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

9. - Top - End - #9

Now assuming ban rules about PrC's that allow you to fill multiple roles.
    Eg theurge is out (obviosly)
    But also, Arcane trickster, and all Gish Prc's.

The AFC for fighters from I can't remember where, sacrifice Medium & heavy armour, to sellect one of you arcane casting classes, while your fighter lvl is no more that 1 less than the highest level spell you can cast you may cast in light armour.
    Since SpellSword is banned, no other simple way to put a wizard in armour.
    This becomes if not decent then, note completely the worst thing ever.
    Sure, straight Duskblade/anything with full BaB does better: but:
    on oneside yuou have wizard 20,, actually no, abj, champ and eleditch knight maybe out, but Incantatix is still in. it's a wizard being more of a wizard than ever before.
    on the other, slightly less than 50% fighter.
    Add Battle caster feat and now your back in medium armour.
    Now, fill the rest of the lvls with warblade.
    or scarifice some bab for swash buckler 3 (IIRC) and add int to damage.

Decent Int synergy and full bab (or great int synergy and mostly full bab).
    full casting.
    Your better than a jade phonix mage.

Assuming you paying no attention to the rules for Gestaul
    The Kurald Galain's OmniCaster! (someone, linky please?)
    A work of Art, truely.
    Maxed out not only divine, arcane, psionic, but also make a solid hit on Warlock invoctaion (less? at per lvl 6?)
    and Done some incarnium stuff i can't evaluate.
    Can also Truename (IIRC), because truenamer in nesciarry in every high powered build, it's just so strong - you won't compete with a tier 1 caster without it. (man it was hard to say that with a straight face)
    Last edited by oxinabox; 2009-10-05 at 12:18 AM.
    There is nothing on earth that we share; it is either Valjean or Javert!

"A wizard can in fact be thought of the custodian to a familiar, a terrifying beast that charges its foes, slashing them to shreds while delivering their master's touch spells and bestowing upon their masters incredible bonuses to their hp or skill checks. A wizard is nearly powerless without one."

Need to find a God? or Spell or Feat?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oxinabox View Post
    Now assuming ban rules about PrC's that allow you to fill multiple roles.
    Eg theurge is out (obviosly)
    But also, Arcane trickster, and all Gish Prc's.
    That's the problem with hybrid bans IMO. Which PrCs are "gish"? Is Arcane Trickster really a hybrid with that pathetic 4 skill points/level? Theurge is obviously out, but others are really iffy.

Also, http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3945177
    Last edited by Foryn Gilnith; 2009-10-04 at 07:58 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PId6 View Post
    Ranger//Ranger

Enough said.
    Sadly, I know a player that would think thats awsome. His closest to the above would have been his Ranger/Rouge, with his feats focused on ranged archery, and his class focus on two weapon style. He also couldn't cast spells cause that was his dump stat. This is the same person that would think Arcane Fire (Archmage)is better then sliced bread.
    You live in your world and I'll live in mine. Invade my world and I'll go medieval on your subconscious tookus.

Do not mistake my inaction for fear or doubt, if I desire you to hang yourself by your own rope why should I hasten the inevitable?

Do not underestimate me, for I have not underestimated you...

12. - Top - End - #12

DruidGuy

Ranger//Ranger

Enough said.
    That's twice the amount of ranger the normal human can handle!

An another note, I had a pretty sweet swordsage//warblade for an epic campaign. I also had a swordsage//psychic warrior.

I created a wizard//archivist for fun, as well.

13. - Top - End - #13

Factotum Warblade: Tons of Int synergy, int to everything, good melee attack due to maunevers, sneak attack die and gaining int to attack rolls. Just a great overall build.
    Fire Emblem Optimizer and Game Balancer (apparently) in the Playground
    A note on using my Fire Emblem rules:
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm mostly retired from Fire Emblem PbPs, and indeed the PbPs in general at present. So if you wish to use my character creation rules, I would appreciate a PM, but feel free to start the game before I respond, as it might be a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti
    "Reason itself is fallible, for logic must account for all the crazy **** wizards keep doing."
    Harry Dresden Avatar by Deuxhero

14. - Top - End - #14

HalfOrcPirate

Duskblade/any spellcaster. You don't even need any Int.

15. - Top - End - #15

Breaking 2 Gestalt rules, but is sorta justified:
    Wizard 10/Arcane Archer 10//Rogue 10/Arcane Trickster 10
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    There is no mind control, citizen. Please go back to your fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Corm View Post
    Kroy speaks the truth.
    Avatar courtesy of Shades of Grey.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oxinabox View Post
    or scarifice some bab for swash buckler 3 (IIRC) and add int to damage.
    Swashbuckler gets full BAB.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

For non PRC builds:
    Warblade / Wizard for spell and combat versatility and int synergy.
    Warblade / Beguiler, as above but less range of spells, more skills and a more stealth and social focus.
    Druid / Swordsage for a very nasty combat build.
    Rogue 3 / Swashbuckler 17 // Wizard 20 with daring outlaw gets you 10d sneak attack, BAB of 19, decent hit points, full spellcasting and int synergy.

With dips and PRCs there are just too many options, but chameleon on one side of pretty much any build is great if you're using gestalt for versatility.

I'm currently working on a swordsage // cleric / walker in the waste and am looking for a solid 5 level of PRC to take after walker in the waste that has full cleric advancement. Any suggestions?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Dread Necromancer/Pale Master//Archivist/Master of Shrouds

mmmm...Necromancery goodness....
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Archivist // Swordsage.

It's not nearly as optimized as anything else, but it does fit that wuxia warrior-scholar feel.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Swashbuckler/Swordsage//Scout(Riposte variant). Can get Str, Dex, Wis, and Int to damage plus gets bonus damage for staying in combat. Some other fun things to add are Chameleon or Avenging Executioner levels.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Sorcerer//Paladin/Monk - take both Ascetic Knight and Ascetic Mage, keep the Paladin and Monk levels balanced.

Charisma-based spellcasting
    Charisma to saves
    Charisma to AC
    Some healing
    It does pretty well. It also helps if you PrC on the Sorcerer side into Mage of the Arcane Order.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

I made one last night assuming nothing Forgotten Realms (Incanatrix being one of the reasons).

So: Conjurer 10/Fatespinner 3//Rogue5/(Sneak Attack) Fighter 1/Master of Masks 1/Night Song Enforcer 1/Avenging Executioner 1/Assassin 1/Ninja 1/Spellthief 1/Scout 1
    Banned: Evocation and Necromancy

+8d6 sneak attack
    +2d6 sudden strike
    +1d6 skirmish
    Total +11d6 damage…

Human
    Feats gained:
    Wiz: Scribe Scroll
    1st: Searing Spell
    Human: Improved Initiative
    3rd level: Blistering Spell
    Wiz: Empower Spell
    6th level: Easy Metamagic (Empower)
    9th level: Arcane Thesis (Orb of Fire)
    Wiz 2 level: Quicken Spell
    12th: Enervate Spell

In short Invisibility + Orb of Fire for fiery fiery death. Also an exercise to max out Sneak Attack damage at Lv 13. I tried to obey all Gestalt rules but used Fractional BAB, I think it would be fun for a 1 shot. I can burn Fire with Fire... a necromental fire elemental though would hurt it severely.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    I tried to obey all Gestalt rules but used Fractional BAB, I think it would be fun for a 1 shot. I can burn Fire with Fire... a necromental fire elemental though would hurt it severely.
    Everyone seems to ignore the no dual-progression and no PrCing on both sides at the same time.
    Last edited by Myou; 2009-10-04 at 03:08 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Myou
    Everyone seems to ignore the no dual-progression and no PrCing on both sides at the same time.
    Well ignoring those I could have had even more fun At the very least have raised my sneak attack a few with Unseen Seer 1 and Arcane Trickster 2 on the Wizard side of things instead of Fatespinner 3. Or throw in a flaw for a bonus feat and go with another 5 levels of Arcane Trickster and another +2d6 sneak attack. Although since I started making this as an example of what a PC could make in a one shot I'm planning and I don't know if I allow flaws that's probably not the best idea.

Current Projects:

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

25. - Top - End - #25

Nymph/Paladin of Tyranny/Hexblade\/Knight

is pretty much unkillable with with mettle and cha to saves twice. Oh, and the ability to stay alive cha rounds.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BenTheJester View Post
    Nymph/Paladin of Tyranny/Hexblade\/Knight

is pretty much unkillable with with mettle and cha to saves twice. Oh, and the ability to stay alive cha rounds.
    Not to mention Cha to AC and no auto-fail on Nat 1s with saves. Although a nymph paladin of tyranny seems rather odd. Could also go Succubus for the higher (+8) Charisma but loses Cha to AC and low-level druid casting; then again you go from usually CG to always CE.

Current Projects:

27. - Top - End - #27

Druid//Monk 1/Sorcerer

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

The one I want to play most right now is Spellthief/Scout/Ranger/Arcane Archer//Wizard/Mindbender/Unseen Seer, used as an anti-caster caster assassin.

Also a Monk/Psiwar//Cleric for silly meleeing, and a Factotum//Wizard/Swiftblade sometime when I feel like the action economy should be mine.

EDIT:
    And a Duskblade//Archivist. And a horrendously convoluted Paladin//Sorcerer gish whose specifics are locked on another computer right now.

I like taking a character concept and making it work by placing a tier 1-2 class on the other side, have you noticed?
    Last edited by Ernir; 2009-10-04 at 09:09 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Ranger//Ranger

Enough said.
    Yo Dawg, we heard you like Dual-Wielding, so we put a Ranger in a Ranger, so you can Dual-Wield while you Dual-Wield.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'm rather partial to Anything Cha-based // Evolved Undead.
    Last edited by JeminiZero; 2009-10-04 at 09:35 PM.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Warblade || Swordsage/Mo9

Yeah, spam those maneuvers!

Oh yeah, Continuing on ^his post, Ghost LA 5/Evolved xx || Sorcerer (Or any other Cha based class)
    Last edited by Fluffles; 2009-10-04 at 09:40 PM.