New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: DC 35 Int check

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default DC 35 Int check

My party found a magical book with a page in it than can grant a +1 permanent Strength bonus if you make a DC 35 Inteligence check. This seems nontrivial.

I believe we're allowed to take 20 on the check, so I'd need a +15 bonus. Sadly, I begin with no Int bonus.

Obviously I can get some from a headband or something, but where else can I find bonuses to Int or bonuses that apply generically to an ability check?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: DC 35 Int check

Fox's Cunning will help, I think. Um... Wish can get you a total +5 eventually. No other ideas ATM.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

aid another, +2
    +6 int enhancement item, +3 to your int mod
    get a Marshal to inspire int (16 cha),+3 circumstance
    buy the DM a tasty sandwich, +2 snack
    give that Marshal a +6 charisma item, add another +3 to his circumstance
    have a Bard cast "good hope", +2 morale bonus

so +15

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

The one thing that might enable you to succeed: Polymorph Any Object. It enables you to acquire Int of your new form if it's higher than your present form's. Sarrukh, from Serpent Kingdoms, commands an impressive Intelligence of 30. After that, all you need is +6 enhancement bonus item and +4 book and you're done. This is the only solution that doesn't require anything external (as long as you can cast level 8 spells or UMD them or get it from within the party; if not, purchase a casting, there are prices in the PHB for spellcasting services). As a bonus, this is Core outside the form you need (30 Int creatures in Core have too high HD).

You could actually shoot a bit higher by magically aging yourself through e.g. Bestow Curse or fast-time plane or similar, but there's the problem of rewinding your age suddenly becoming quite non-trivial, especially if you are to maintain your bonus (otherwise Forced Dream-style shenanigans could work). Age gives you +3 Age-bonus to Intelligence.

Ability check bonuses are a touch easier to find; it may be worthwhile to look into the realms of Magic of Incarnum for those. A Marshal-cohort with high Charisma and Motivate Intelligence could also help. There are also spells for this, but I'm blanking out on them at the moment. I do believe the Bard 1-spell Improvisation [Spell Compendium] could do that though.

EDIT: Aid Another is unlimited and thus, a bunch of small Animated Objects doing DC 10 Int-checks could easily boost you to +35. Just have enough of them to account for about half failing.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-02-27 at 04:42 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Moment of Prescience would do it.

6. - Top - End - #6

If there's no penalty for failure, see if you can't get your DM to count nat 20's as 30s (and possibly nat 1's as -10, if it takes that to convince him/her) and just keep rolling. Although I doubt that your DM will suddenly adopt a new houserule like this.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Moment of Prescience would do it.
    Only on opposed checks. If you have non-core, an uber-high CL scroll of Improvisation would work.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    If there's no penalty for failure, see if you can't get your DM to count nat 20's as 30s (and possibly nat 1's as -10, if it takes that to convince him/her) and just keep rolling. Although I doubt that your DM will suddenly adopt a new houserule like this.
    That is what every DnD game I have played in has been... didn't know there was another way...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by arti3 View Post
    That is what every DnD game I have played in has been... didn't know there was another way...
    And lots of people play Monopoly with the "Free Parking" jackpot, unaware that that's a house rule, too.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    And lots of people play Monopoly with the "Free Parking" jackpot, unaware that that's a house rule, too.
    :0
    I did not know that either.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Sell the book. +1 Str is not a big enough bonus to justify pumping your Int that high, especially when you clearly don't rely on it as a primary stat.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Indeed. You might night even feel the Strength increase if you're at an even number.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

The right ioun stone and a stone of good luck can get you a +2 (+1 luck, +1 competence), but we're talking 50,000 gp there. You might as well buy a tome first.

A potion of good hope gives a +2 morale bonus. I think its 1,050 gp. A deity with divine inspiration can give you a +4 morale bonus.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2010-02-27 at 06:57 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

See if you can convince your DM to give you a bonus for doing it in a really awesome way (y'know, in the same way Exalted does), and come up with a REALLY AWESOME BOOK READING SEQUENCE. Use everything you can.

Also:
    Aid Another. Get enough peasants to fill any squares surrounding you that your party can't, and have them all use Aid Another to give you a +2 bonus (each, for a total of +16). Pay them by using your improved strength to build them a house (or improve the house they have) and feed 'em for a few days (possibly in addition to whatever food they need while they Aid you).
    Use a Marshal with Motivate Intelligence; assuming a Charisma of 15, that's another +2 (+18 total).
    Fox's Cunning gives a +4 enhancement to Int, which is another +2 (+20 total).
    You now need a 15-Int mod to make the roll (not accounting for Fox's Cunning).

Or just abuse small (or smaller) Animated Objects making Aid Another checks.
    Some men just want to watch the world shift uncomfortably in its seat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by absolmorph View Post
    I happen to like screwing around with Handle Animal.
    Red Mage, is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Now you're cranking it up to eleven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    A week ago, I didn't know who you were. Now I know: you're the BEST PERSON EVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.

If you're reading this for some reason, you can find me in a few places on the web as azoicennead.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    Sell the book. +1 Str is not a big enough bonus to justify pumping your Int that high, especially when you clearly don't rely on it as a primary stat.
    I have to agree, this sounds like a clever DM trap trying to get you to spend more resources to get the bonus. than you would need to spend to get the actual benefit.

GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    The right ioun stone and a stone of good luck can get you a +2 (+1 luck, +1 competence), but we're talking 50,000 gp there. You might as well buy a tome first.
    This is actually an excellent idea since if you don't really care for your Int other than reading this, you get much more for your money as these apply to your other actions too. And with just one casting of PAO, those and +6 Headband (borrow from the party Wizard), you'd have it.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    Only on opposed checks. If you have non-core, an uber-high CL scroll of Improvisation would work.
    Huh. You know, I never noticed the "opposed" bit...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

If you're spending major resources on this, you're doing it wrong.
    There are plenty of ways to get cheap bonuses to a check without spending more than 50 gp.
    Also, Reduce Person and 16 Halflings.
    Some men just want to watch the world shift uncomfortably in its seat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by absolmorph View Post
    I happen to like screwing around with Handle Animal.
    Red Mage, is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Now you're cranking it up to eleven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    A week ago, I didn't know who you were. Now I know: you're the BEST PERSON EVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.

If you're reading this for some reason, you can find me in a few places on the web as azoicennead.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Is this something repeatable for everyone, or is the book one use?

If it is repeatable, then just get the required supplies (PAO, +6 Headband of Intellect, two ioun stones) and have everyone make the check, then sell the book for cash to pay everyone back. I'm sure you wizard will appreciate having PAO in his spellbook, not to mention the headband.

If it is a one-use item (that is, a Manual of Gainful Exercise), then just sell it and buy a scroll of Wish for the party wizard. The simple +1 version is only 1,000 gp short of the scroll, and one that would give +2 is over twice the price. Given that the wizard can cast Wish multiple times without a skill check - and for other ability scores - the scroll is much more useful than the book.