New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Minor Magic Item Brainstorming Thread

I always find these threads fun, so here is another thread to develop little magic items to give players, perhaps as minor quest rewards. They should be useful with a little cleverness, but not directly powerful in any way. So no magic swords of smiting +5 or rings of teleportation etc.

Book of Dictation
    When activated with a command word this magical blank book fills with written text of whatever the activator says aloud, with a maximum range of 200ft. Another command word deactivates it. The writing remains in the book permanently and once all the pages are filled the item becomes nonmagical.

Illustrating Flame
    This continual flame has been modified by a further spell. Its bearer may shape the torch's heatless fire into any shape they wish, allowing them to produce miniature fiery images of objects and creatures above the torch.

Cheater's Ball
    This medieval equivalent of a baseball has a unique property. The last person to touch it may move it mentally, as if using a mage hand spell, at a maximum range of 25ft.

Narrating Blindfold
    When wrapped around the eyes blocking vision the blindfold telepathically narrates what the wearer would have seen if they retained normal human sight (even if the wearer normally is blind or has superior vision). The wearer makes spot checks to determine what the blindfold narrates. Enemies still have total concealment to the wearer, even if he knows where they are.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Minor Magic Item Brainstorming Thread

Here is one that for whatever reason my players always loved, and use constantly

Smoke Bottle

Once per day, this small brass bottle may be unstoppered to release a blast of obscuring smoke in either a 10' x 10' cloud or a 5' by 20' line. Whatever the chosen path of smoke, the wielder of the smoke bottle must occupy a space within the smoke. The smoke blocks line of site but otherwise has no effects and dissipates after three rounds or when subjected to a strong wind.

Here is another item that a rogue/sorcerer player of mine desired to make and we worked out. Made for some fun RP scenarios.

Lucky Dice
    This pair of small six-sided dice carved from ivory will always roll to reveal the number last spoken to them while held in the palm of the hand. The number must be between 2 and 12, otherwise the dice will roll and land randomly.
    Last edited by Wannabehero; 2010-04-01 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Addition

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

My personal favorate:

Gem of Toasty Toes
    If this gem is in the possession of a person, their toes are never cold.
    awsom avvy by simius
    srry 'bout the spellin'

OoTS Graveyard

R.I.P OoTS #1-#443
    Fell right into her grave. OoTS#120-#464

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aaron_the_cow View Post
    My personal favorate:

Gem of Toasty Toes
    If this gem is in the possession of a person, their toes are never cold.
    Love it

For whatever reason that reminded me of this one from long ago, a family heirloom of one of the player's dwarf character.

Everburning Stogie
    This fragrant cigar burns perpetually without ever seeming to be consumed. If extinguished by submersion in water it can be reignited by tapping the stogie lightly against the bridge of the nose.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabehero View Post
    Love it

For whatever reason that reminded me of this one from long ago, a family heirloom of one of the player's dwarf character.

Everburning Stogie
    This fragrant cigar burns perpetually without ever seeming to be consumed. If extinguished by submersion in water it can be reignited by tapping the stogie lightly against the bridge of the nose.
    I wonder if you could also use it to start campfires.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    I wonder if you could also use it to start campfires.
    I wouldn't see why not

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

This item must have some uses:

Safety Knife
    This dagger's blade is incapable of dealing damage to any living non-plant creature. Attacks attempting to do so will bounce off harmlessly or turn away. It functions as an ordinary dagger against all objects, plants, undead, and constructs.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

This item must have some uses:

Safety Knife
    This dagger's blade is incapable of dealing damage to any living non-plant creature. Attacks attempting to do so will bounce off harmlessly or turn away. It functions as an ordinary dagger against all objects, plants, undead, and constructs.
    Even more useful on woodman's axes, picks, and sledge-hammers...
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Even more useful on woodman's axes, picks, and sledge-hammers...
    Yes. Although it's unlikely a laborer would be able to afford any safety precautions. There could also be a modified version for hunters:

Hunter's Arrow
    This arrow is incapable of dealing damage to any humanoid or monstrous humanoid creature, but is a bane arrow against animals. Against all other creatures it functions like a non-magical arrow. Unlike normal magical arrows this arrow if recovered may be fired again.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Battle Book
    This heavy encyclopedia-sized book possesses an iron-reinforced covered and is made of sturdy construction. When thrown at target, it will flap and dance wildly in the air around that target's head until retrieved by the owner, destroyed, or the target is dead. While assaulted by the book, the target suffers and -1 penalty to all attack rolls and reflex saves.

HP: 10
    Hardness: 3
    AC: 21 (Touch 19)

Throw the book at 'em!

Invisibility Specs
    While wearing this crystal clear spectacles, all other creatures appear to be invisible.

Now I see you, now I don't

Singing Sword
    Close inspection of this ornate and elaborate longsword and scabbard reveals the decoration to be nothing more than tacky knockoffs and glittering paint. When drawn from the scabbard, an animated mouth at the center of blade sings operatic melodies at obnoxious volumes and horribly off-key. All creatures within 30' of the sword and capable of hearing the singing must succeed on a DC 20 Will save to perform any actions that do not involve covering their ears or muffling the sword (sunder attacks do not count). This includes the wielder of the sword.

Thank you Looney Toons
    Last edited by Wannabehero; 2010-04-02 at 11:25 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Battle Book
    This heavy encyclopedia-sized book possesses an iron-reinforced covered and is made of sturdy construction. When thrown at target, it will flap and dance wildly in the air around that target's head until retrieved by the owner, destroyed, or the target is dead. While assaulted by the book, the target suffers and -1 penalty to all attack rolls and reflex saves.

HP: 10
    Hardness: 3
    AC: 21 (Touch 19)

Throw the book at 'em!
    I hope its filled with useful tactical treatises as well.

Snowsack
    This small leather pouch is always slightly cold to the touch. It slowly withdraws water from the surrounding air to fill itself with snow. It takes about an hour to become completely full, producing a six inch diameter snowball. In dry climates it may take two or three times as long.

Named Whistle
    This small silver whistle is keyed to a specific first name when created. When blown it is only heard by people with that first name.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Floating Back-scratcher:
    Upon command, follows you around and scratches your back. After a 2nd command or when grabbed, drops so you can stow it away.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2010-04-02 at 12:50 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Singing Sword
    Close inspection of this ornate and elaborate longsword and scabbard reveals the decoration to be nothing more than tacky knockoffs and glittering paint. When drawn from the scabbard, an animated mouth at the center of blade sings operatic melodies at obnoxious volumes and horribly off-key. All creatures within 30' of the sword and capable of hearing the singing must succeed on a DC 20 Will save to perform any actions that do not involve covering their ears or muffling the sword (sunder attacks do not count). This includes the wielder of the sword.

Thank you Looney Toons
    Ear plugs
    The wielder (of the ear plugs) is immune to the off-key singing sword.

A cage
    In which one could put the sword, as it might still be heard.

Then throw away key and scabbard. You have just disabled everyone around that did not make the check

You might not even need the cage

Pocket pocket

It's a pocket within a pocket.
    I come with the cold... PTHUJ

Andrews
    : Let me see if I have this correct, Lieutenant - it's an 8-foot creature of some kind with acid for blood, and it arrived on your spaceship. It kills on sight, and is generally unpleasant.
    — Alien3
    Warrick

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Pocket pocket
    It's a pocket within a pocket.
    I actually have one of those. My pants are magic!

Chicken Stone
    This white egg shaped stone appears to be a normal rock until it is hurled to the ground while uttering the command word "Bukaw". Doing so shatters the stone and conjures one chicken. The chicken is a non-magical lasting effect.

Studmuffin
    This small magical pastry never spoils or rots. If eaten by a fertile female of any species she becomes pregnant (DC30 fortitude save negates). Children spawned by studmuffins are born with a free rank in Profession (Baker).
    Last edited by Lysander; 2010-04-02 at 02:05 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chicken Stone
    This white egg shaped stone appears to be a normal rock until it is hurled to the ground while uttering the command word "Bukaw". Doing so shatters the stone and conjures one chicken. The chicken is a non-magical lasting effect.

Studmuffin
    This small magical pastry never spoils or rots. If eaten by a fertile female of any species she becomes pregnant (DC30 fortitude save negates). Children spawned by studmuffins are born with a free rank in Profession (Baker).
    I laughed so hard it that. Good stuff

Not-so-hot sauce
    When this substance is added to any food stuff, it removes any trace of flavor or odor.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's an oldie but a goodie from an old Dragon mag.

Amulet of Carrot Repulsion
    Any non-living tuber vegetable that comes withen ten feet of the amulet is incinerated. 6 year old often get these to make it look like they ate their vegetables. Besides that, there are no pracatical uses

And here is one of my own:

Hat Gyration of the Groove
    This helmet is shaped like a cap with a wide brim on the front. When worn, the cap begins to spin around (like a record baby) and gives the wearer +3 to all Perform (Dance) checks
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Terry for my irate Nightmare Alchemist Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Creed, you guys are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Now for Creed to quote me and say something snarky. And the circle of life will be complete.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Not-so-hot sauce
    When this substance is added to any food stuff, it removes any trace of flavor or odor.
    That could be useful for hiding poisons...

Bag of Holding Dirt
    This flawed bag of holding only admits sand or dirt.

Ring of Peaceful Slumber
    The wearer of this ring gains damage resistance 20 but is perpetually unconscious. They will never awaken unless the ring is removed. Anyone immune to sleep effects does not gain damage resitance.
    Last edited by Lysander; 2010-04-02 at 08:11 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Skirt of Modesty

This skirt always remains in a modest position, even if the wearer is in freefall or subject to reversed gravity. Furthermore, the wearer is invisible to anyone who would otherwise be able to see up the skirt, for example, due to being on a lower level of a building with transparent flooring.
    Last edited by lesser_minion; 2010-04-02 at 08:43 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

Blood Roll - This tome lists the names of various people signed, or marked in their blood. So long as the the signer (or marker) lives the the blood is a mottled brown. If the subject dies his blood turns a livid purple.

These are often used by armies before battle or kept by traders who send their ships to sea.

Teapot of Wine - when this teapot is left to brew tea it instead makes a pot full of wine. Experimentation with different teas creates different wines. Green teas make white wine. Black teas make Red wine. On a command word the pot is hot or cold. Sugar put in the pot results in a fortified wine like port or sherry.
    The teapot may be used 3 times a day between the hours of 2pm and 2am. It does not distill or create any type of whiskey or rum.
    Wine collected from the pot becomes normal tea in twenty four hours if not consumed.
    It is rumored that there is a companion tray which increases the number of servings to 9.

Fortune Cookie These fortune cookies hold the thoughts of the bearer. As the cookie is given a message of 12 words or less is magically written on the back of the cookies paper. Whom soever cracks the cookie open has the message mentally revealed to them. The receiver may simply wish the message gone to have it vanish from the paper.
    Craft Wondrous and Message.

Ring of Repulsed Citrus Fruit - Whomsoever wears this ring may make up to 13 citrus fruits float one to two feet above his outstretched hand. No other objects may be levitated in this way. Objects embedded in the fruit have only a dc17 chance of being finely balanced. Otherwise their fruit slides from the cloud and falls to the floor.

Sigurd
    Last edited by sigurd; 2010-04-02 at 08:52 PM.
    Logo by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Azrikam's Amazing Automap.

This small scroll automatically records the layout of any building the holder enters. The map only records what the user can "see" (regardless of senses) (so the map does not record a hidden passage unless it has been entered by the user) and ,unless the user makes an explicit note of it, does not record detail beyond shape and size of the room its self. The map holds infinite "data" (and thus may in theory hold a, very basic, map of the entire world if a single person travels it with map in their possession), and can be scrolled by "dragging" a finger acrossed it.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    Azrikam's Amazing Automap.

This small scroll automatically records the layout of any building the holder enters. The map only records what the user can "see" (regardless of senses) (so the map does not record a hidden passage unless it has been entered by the user) and ,unless the user makes an explicit note of it, does not record detail beyond shape and size of the room its self. The map holds infinite "data" (and thus may in theory hold a, very basic, map of the entire world if a single person travels it with map in their possession), and can be scrolled by "dragging" a finger acrossed it.
    Cool. That would be neat to find. Does the data persist between users?

Animating Origami
    When this magical origami paper is folded into the shape of any creature it becomes a tiny animated object that obeys its creator's every command. It has 1 str, 10 dex, 1 wis, 1 cha, and only 1 hp. It copies that creature's mode of movement to the best of its ability, allowing legged shapes to walk, winged ones to fly, etc. It is too fragile to swim or burrow. Animating Origami usually comes in packs of 10 sheets.

Magic String
    This magic string does nothing special on its own, but any non-magical item it is tied to is considered a magical item for the purposes of all spells and effects. Any caster level check against it always succeeds.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Invisibility Specs
    While wearing this crystal clear spectacles, all other creatures appear to be invisible.

Now I see you, now I don't
    Could actually be quite useful at theaters and such. Or good for finding living bodies after a war by seeing which ones disappear when the specs are put on. Ditto or catching mimics and plant creatures lying in wait.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Mirror of Jusenkyo
    When you look in this mirror you see what you would have looked like had you been born the opposite gender.

24. - Top - End - #24

Magic Tattoo
    Tattoos that move (both on the body and the image)

I had an illusionist that was covered in them
    Having trouble writing up hard stat blocks but I'm doing a lot of sharing ideas and soft mechanics lately.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sigurd View Post
    Fortune Cookie These fortune cookies hold the thoughts of the bearer. As the cookie is given a message of 12 words or less is magically written on the back of the cookies paper. Whom soever cracks the cookie open has the message mentally revealed to them. The receiver may simply wish the message gone to have it vanish from the paper.
    Craft Wondrous and Message.
    I am confused by the mechanics here... does it pretty much only allow you to read your OWN thoughts, or is it a no-save Detect Thoughts with a very short duration?
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-04-03 at 10:32 AM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    I am confused by the mechanics here... does it pretty much only allow you to read your OWN thoughts, or is it a no-save Detect Thoughts with a very short duration?
    It is basically a nondescript way of sending a message. The old "help I'm being held captive in a chinese fortune cookie thing."

At the time you give it you can place you thoughts on the message. The receiver gets your thought and perhaps an image when they open the cookie.
    The also get a standard fortune cookie with your message on the back.
    The receiver can blank the cookie with a thought.

Reading someone else's mind would be too powerful for this list.

Magic Spoon, Fork and Knife

This appears as a standard set of cutlery that radiate a weak conjuration magic. Held normally and used normally they behave normally. Held backwards (ie griped by the blade, tines or spoon) the handles may be shaken to create Salt, Pepper and Olive oil.
    Last edited by sigurd; 2010-04-03 at 12:03 PM.
    Logo by Serpentine

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Electrified Rod
    This small metal rod constantly emits an electric current. Any creature directly touching it receives 1 electricity damage each round. Gloves allow it to be held without harm. If used in combat treat as an improvised weapon that only deals 1 point of electricity damage.

Ioun Pint
    This tin beer tankard floats next to its owner when released. It can be grasped easily, making it a handy way of keeping your hands free while drinking.

Decanter of Limited Water
    This functions like a decanter of endless water, but only for a cumulative total of 100 rounds. Once used up it becomes non-magical.
    Last edited by Lysander; 2010-04-03 at 12:29 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

Mask of Makeup
    When worn, this mask (highly sought by rich noblewomen) assumes the features of the owner, but with a layer of makeup: the specifics of this makeup are up to the wearer. The wearer is still recognizable.

Cape of Dryness
    The wearer of this blue cape is always dry, even if walking under a downpur, under a waterfall or completely submerged.

Pills of Nourishment
    Eating one of these small pills completely sates hunger and thirst for 24 hours. Additional pills taken in this time lapse have no effect.

Quill of Caricature
    On command, this quill can draw a funny caricature of a chosen subject. Ink and paper must be provided by the activator.

Spectacles of Translation
    These lenses are specifically tied to two languages: if the wearer scans some text written in one of the two languages, he'll see the words translated in the other. The Spectacles don't bestow the ability to understand neither of the two languages.

Recording Coin
    Upon uttering the first command word, this unremarkable coin will begin recording the environment sounds for up to 5 minutes. It has a Listen bonus of +2. By saying the second command word, the Coin will repeat everything it has recorded. The Coin cannot trigger spells requiring verbal components, nor any keyword or magic word will work if repeated by the Coin.

Thief Coin
    This silver coin comes with a leather bag. When the Coin is extracted from the bag, after one minute it disappears from its current position and reappears in the bag as if it was never removed.

Rope of the Knots
    When this silk rope has knots in this length, a command word unties them.

Tub of Relax
    Three times per day, on command word this wooden tub fills with cold, warm or hot water (activator's choice).
    The water is inextricabily linked to the Tub: if any quantity is removed in any way it will simply vanish (therefore the Tub never slops - and therefore the water doesn't quench thirst).

Hands of Massage
    On a command word, these two finely carved ebony hands animate and begin to float, awaiting orders: the activator can ask for a broad variety of massages, provided that he's lying on some bench or bed.
    The Hands are unable to manipulate objects whatsoever, and ignore any order different from a body part to treat or a particular technique of massage.

Insta-Flowers
    When planted, these seeds grow in only 1/25th of the time normally needed by the plant. Various types of flowers are available.
    Last edited by Cicciograna; 2010-04-03 at 12:55 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Badge of the Scarlet Emperor
    The wearer of this badge may fire small (smaller than the palm of the wearers hand) objects weighing less than 1 pound (per the power "Telekinetic Thrust") over a flat surface, this item is Psionic rather than magical.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Antimagic Jar
    This small glass jar (6inch high 4 inch diameter) contains an antimagic field within it.

Illusory Weapon
    This tiny stick can project a silent image (ECL5) of a weapon around itself. Its holder can choose to make it appear as if they were holding a sword, dagger, crossbow, longbow, morningstar, arrow, or spear.