New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: 2e?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default 2e?

Something that I just kind of realized

Based on this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edition...gons#Time_linehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edition...gons#Time_line

I was wondering which edition actually constituted Second Edition

There's 1e and AD&D, is 2e the Second Edition of AD&D, or the various versions of the "Basic Set"?

If it is the AD&D 2e, then are the Basic Set ones generally excluded from counting?

If it is the Basic Set, do they consider both AD&D just to be "AD&D"

Just wondering about the discrepancy there.

Anyway, thanks.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 2e?

The easiest thing to do is to call everything by what it says on the cover. This does lead to problems like 0th Edition(s), but it's still easier in the long run.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Holy Crap. I didn't realize the editions were this complex.

I can't believe there's a revised edition of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition.

That's like the second of the second of the second edition. Or is it?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HunterOfJello View Post

I can't believe there's a revised edition of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition.

Paranoia gets worse. There's a first edition, a Second Edition, a Fifth Edition (that doesn't exist), and XP. Why did they skip so much? Are you questioning Friend Computer, citizen?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd edition

Revised wasn't different enough to be a new edition. Please ignore the stack of books behind the curtain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

There was this crappy thing at the beginning, then it became D&D, then it became AD&D, then it became AD&D second edition, then that was revised, the WotC took over and made 3rd edition, then that was bollocks so they made 3.5, then they made 4th edition coz they're greedy cash grabbing monsters.
    Pretty simple, really.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post
    There was this crappy thing at the beginning, then it became D&D, then it became AD&D, then it became AD&D second edition, then that was revised, the WotC took over and made 3rd edition, then that was bollocks so they made 3.5, then they made 4th edition coz they're greedy cash grabbing monsters. they hate good things.
    Pretty simple, really.
    Fixed it for you.
    Who made my awesome mad scientist hamster? Why Dr.Epic, of course.

Any Washington GitPers that want to have a meet up/play RPGs/Light things on fire, please PM me.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Rappy View Post
    So yes, the metal skeleton can be haulted by the power of rock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    Their souls taste of rancid trout and the foul aftertaste of failure.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    On the plus side, they did manage to teach me the proper sequence for the first six letters of the alphabet.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

There was no revised second edition. Never. They simply reprinted the books with different covers and color illustrations, but the content was the exact same.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, it becomes easier once you consider that there never was a second edition of non-advanced D&D, and that the "revision" means some minor typographical fixes and a few new pieces of art in there.

3E is the continuation of Advanced D&D; they just dropped the word "Advanced" since the "Basic" line has long gone. Of course, now they're bringing "Basic" back for 4E...

{table]Basic line|Advanced line
    0E|
    1E Basic|1E Advanced
    n/a|2E AD&D
    n/a|2E S&P (2.5)
    n/a|3E D&D
    n/a|3.5 D&D
    n/a|Pathfinder (3.75)
    Essentials (4.4)|4E
    [/table]
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thats an amusing thought for how 4.4 works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Now why are people calling it 4.4? Brcause "it's NOT 4.5!"?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Now why are people calling it 4.4? Brcause "it's NOT 4.5!"?
    Because it's a convenient shorthand. I find it rather surprising that some people seem to attach a deep emotional or philosophical meaning to two digits and a dot

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

But wouldn't it be much more logical to have 4.1 follow to 4?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    But wouldn't it be much more logical to have 4.1 follow to 4?
    Considering the line goes 0 - 1.B - 1.A - 2 - 2.5 - 3 - 3.5 - 4 - 3.75, I would say that logic has little to do with it

Besides, 4.4 contains twice as much 4 as a regular 4, how is that not good?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd edition
    Yeah, when people say '2e' this is the game they're talking about.

Unravelling game editions is a lot like tracing a genome through successive, incestuous generations - each parent creates offspring which share some of its traits, some of which breed with the parent to produce further offspring with further mixtures of traits, crossbreeding with other species introduces new traits... it gets very messy, very fast.
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Don't forget, there were also two version of Basic D&D. The Holmes Blue Box, referred to as B/X, and the Moldvey/Cook Red Box, referred to as BECMI. Then there was the Rules Cyclopedia, which was a compelation of all of the BECMI boxes.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KiltedGrappler View Post
    Don't forget, there were also two version of Basic D&D. The Holmes Blue Box, referred to as B/X, and the Moldvey/Cook Red Box, referred to as BECMI. Then there was the Rules Cyclopedia, which was a compelation of all of the BECMI boxes.
    Not quite. Holmes is different from B/X, which is different from BECMI (but not by much). Here are some handy links:

It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground

A notable difference between Holmes Basic and BCEMI- Holmes Basic had five alignments (LG, CG, N, LE, CE.)
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Right. Forgot about Mentzer and got the others mixed all up. Just proves the point that the older editions get damn confusing to follow sometimes.

20. - Top - End - #20

What does the "HB" in "HBD&D" stand for?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Where does the "black box" set fit in? That was my first intro to D&D, and I think it was published around 1993 or so.

22. - Top - End - #22

Probably as a subsection of the Rules Cyclopedia. It was my introduction to D&D games as well-

though I managed much later to get a copy of Holmes Basic D&D.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Holmes Basic, presumably. A blog I follow has been going through it chapter-by-chapter recently; it's been pretty interesting!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

There isn't, really. The "revised" edition of AD&D 2nd edition is exactly the same as the original, but with some errata, new art, and bigger page borders.

When people refer to 2.5 (a relatively new phenomenon, IME), they usually mean that they include the Player's Option line of books.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    When people refer to 2.5 (a relatively new phenomenon, IME),
    Yes. To my knowledge, nobody ever called it 2.5 until 3.5 came out.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KiltedGrappler View Post
    Right. Forgot about Mentzer and got the others mixed all up. Just proves the point that the older editions get damn confusing to follow sometimes.
    No doubt. The thing to remember is that "AD&D" and "D&D" are two different lines of products stemming from the same initial game; once that is understood things fall more easily into place.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lapak View Post
    Holmes Basic, presumably. A blog I follow has been going through it chapter-by-chapter recently; it's been pretty interesting!
    Yes; the editions of D&D (as contrasted with AD&D) are typically distinguished by the surname of their editor (Holmes, Moldvay, Mentzer), whether the "basic" moniker is appropriate is sometimes more a matter of opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Eorran View Post
    Where does the "black box" set fit in? That was my first intro to D&D, and I think it was published around 1993 or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Probably as a subsection of the Rules Cyclopedia. It was my introduction to D&D games as well - though I managed much later to get a copy of Holmes Basic D&D.
    During the 1990s a lot of "introductory" sets were put out for AD&D/2e and D&D/BECMI, some actually conveyed the rules of the games in question, whilst others only the generalities. They appear to have been relatively short runs analogous to the 3.0 "Basic Game" sets. The ones I know are:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There isn't, really. The "revised" edition of AD&D 2nd edition is exactly the same as the original, but with some errata, new art, and bigger page borders.

When people refer to 2.5 (a relatively new phenomenon, IME), they usually mean that they include the Player's Option line of books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Yes. To my knowledge, nobody ever called it 2.5 until 3.5 came out.
    Although probably not common parlance amongst the fan base, David Cook talked about the whole version number idea in an early Game Wizards article published in Dragon #121 discussing what second edition would mean for AD&D:

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon #121, p. 13
    “In any case, no matter what you change in the AD&D game system, a good number of us will continue to play bards... and whatever else gets axed or deleted.” - Steve Null

Please do. I anticipate that many out there will mix parts of First and Second Editions together to get the game they want (along with a healthy dose of DRAGON Magazine articles and other ideas). Do this! Have fun and use your own creativity. At any rate, rest assured that as far as TSR is concerned, anything you liked in First Edition is legal in Second Edition. If you liked First Edition bards, they’re legal. If you liked monks, they’re legal. Ultimately, there will be people out there who will be playing Version 1.0, Version 1.5, Version 2.0, and probably even Version 2.3 of the AD&D game. Perhaps we should figure out some type of numbering system like that used on computer programs!
    The more things change...
    Last edited by Matthew; 2010-08-05 at 01:27 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Part of the confusion comes from WotC continuing the numbering from the AD&D line but dropping the "Advanced". Of course, keeping the "Advanced" would have been confusing, too, as it would suggest that a Basic version was still being produced as an alternative. Perhaps they would have done better to come up with a new adjective and restart the numbering from 1. But maybe not; I'm not sure that I'd trust a marketing department at the turn of the century not to choose a name like "X-treme Dungeons & Dragons 2000!"

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    A notable difference between Holmes Basic and BCEMI- Holmes Basic had five alignments (LG, CG, N, LE, CE.)
    With the four other alignments as quadrants and Neutral in the middle, right? At least, Gygax once discussed that setup in The Strategic Review; I assume that it's the same as the one to which you refer. It's interesting to look at 4E's alignments as a sort of hybrid between that and the nine alignments model. As there, there are two Good, two Evil, and one Neutral alignments. But as with the 3 by 3 grid, the Good and Evil alignments do not border on each other, but are fully separated by Neutrality.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed. The whole 0e, 1e, 2e, 3e, 4e progression is a bit of a misnomer, and not one that Wizards of the Coast itself always recognises; third edition was an amalgamation of all previous versions, including B/X and BECMI.