New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default What's an unpleasant plane? D&D 3.5

So I have a plan that is twisting the words of the enemy (I think its a succubus) who charmed my character. She said "Defend me" from the DM's comment that we get another save because attacking our teammate is something we wouldn't normally do its obvious it was meant to be "attack our teammate" But defend me means to protect her from harm.

The immediate threat is the angry vampire lord who is a bit angry at having his favorite spawn dominated. As well as the rest of the party who has her on their list of targets regardless.

My character can use planeshift, easily, has had this ability for a while. So I was thinking tackle her and planeshift someplace lethal, but not as immediately lethal as an almost full party of adventurers going to town on her.

My main problem is I'm low on health. 20 hitpoints, and I really don't want it to be a suicide attack.

So does anyone have any suggestions?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What's an unpleasant plane? D&D 3.5

Elemental Plane of Earth. The problems there are a lot more... insidious, shall we say... than the overtly damaging elemental planes (Fire, Positive, Negative). Namely, you're buried alive inside an infinitely large chunk of rock. It'll keep her out of your hair, and might not even kill her, if she can find an air pocket.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingPirate

The positive energy plane sounds like a place to go. If you're more badly hurt than her, it won't be a suicide attack, and healing her definitely fits under the definition. If you don't think she can plane shift herself, she eventually explodes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think a charmed character would do that since the wording of charm is that you regard the individual as a trusted friend or ally. However, your wording makes it almost sound like she used Suggestion, not charm in which case the planeshift tactic might be a reasonable response. Possible planes then would depend on your alignment. But any plane that fits your alignment and doesn't fit hers well at all might make sense. Thus, you could planeshift to say any good-aligned plane and meet the criteria if you are actually good aligned. You'll just need to hope that the first attack on her occurs after the suggestion wears off otherwise you might be stuck fighting an archon or angel.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

If you are a vampire spawn, go to negative energy plane.

Then you heal, and she takes pain. Good place.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Alright, your best bet is to planeshift her back to her home dimension. There is a reason demons have to generally be summoned to the prime material. It really does everything you want it to. It sends her someplace she really doesn't want to be, and it takes her out of the picture.

Now, if you are charmed you won't send her anyplace that could possibly be detrimental to her. As a DM, I really hate it when players just can't get this through their head. She is now an ally to you, more importantly you should be thinking of her as a dependant. Just roleplay with it, and quit trying to find away around the fact that you ARE charmed. She is clearly not asking you to do something that is against your characters thought process if you can get her to leave your party alone.

Now, if there is more than one threat in the room, have the rest of your party focus on the vampire. Once he's finished the charm may have worn off.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

My guy is a lesser tiefling, Eerie wanderer. No healing from negative energy. Though I have two vampire teammates.

As far as the positive energy plane gos it might help in me getting healed, but she just lost more HP in one round than I have. And she seems fine, smirking and all that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Any good-aligned plane will do, really. Celestia? Great place to go if you're surrounded by enemies. "Oh, wait, they hate her too? Ah, man.... but these are the good guys! And she's my Friend! Of course she's good too!"

Oh yes, and it's also full of critters that can make the Sense Motive check to tell you're operating under an enchantment. And who are also surrounded by an aura that prevents anything that gives the caster continuing control from exercising said control. Not hostile at all. Perfect, really.

Edit: Oh yes, and Plane Shift is a nifty spell in that it doesn't require the caster go with. Pushing a friend out the door and keeping the attackers occupied for a bit? Perfect, really.

Of course, if you're low on HP, that's not the way you want to go. See, she might save vs. Plane Shift. However, if she attacks you in any way, she breaks the Charm. Which means as long as your buddies keep it nonlethal vs. you, you're fine. And it's in-character to use nonlethal against your buddies (well, unless you happen to know the vamps are immune to it...) in keeping them from hurting another buddy.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2010-09-02 at 08:16 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I think the best option is Planeshifting her to the Abyss. It's protecting her from your allies, and eliminating her from the fight at the same time. Just don't go with her.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Any good-aligned plane will do, really. Celestia? Great place to go if you're surrounded by enemies. "Oh, wait, they hate her too? Ah, man.... but these are the good guys! And she's my Friend! Of course she's good too!".
    OP is a Vampire Spawn, the men upstairs might not take too kindly to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Lesser Tiefling. Look at the post immediately prior to the one you quoted. Also not fond, granted, but the guy who's under an enchantment will usually get a break around the angels that halt such things simply by being nearby.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2010-09-02 at 08:26 PM. Reason: angle, angel, what's the difference?
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I think the best option is Planeshifting her to the Abyss. It's protecting her from your allies, and eliminating her from the fight at the same time. Just don't go with her.
    part of the ability, I always go, In return for perfect accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Not a spawn, But he is descended from a combination of devils, demons, and one particularly strange evil family that argues the merits of each. And on top of that He is a living manifestation of far realms energy.
    Last edited by druid91; 2010-09-02 at 08:35 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

To repeat the previous comment: Is it a charm or a suggestion (suggestion is a spell-like ability for succubi)? If it's a charm, a charmed character wouldn't reasonably do anything to harm the charmer. Suggestion now - well as long as you follow the letter of what she said...

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bring her to Baator.

It's not your fault you don't know the difference between devils and demons.

...I mean, they're both scaly and horned and whatever...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SwordChucks View Post
    The most unpleasant plane is the one filled with snakes and Samuel L. Jackson.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    You kill people by teleporting their brain...into your hand. That's about as badass as it gets, and should come with a free +30 on all Intimidate checks made...ever.

No gods. No kings. Only PCs. Ceteris paribus.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, if you have an evil party, judging from the races, even 'friend' means 'someone I will ditch to save myself'. Regardless of alignment there is only so much you will go through to save a friend before giving them a heartfelt "sorry" and stepping to the side. Also note that although Charm makes you their friend it does not negate old friends, so the most likely response is that you try to stop all damage both ways so everyone can discuss over their problems in a way that no one gets hurt.

In the end all a low level effect like Charm is capable of is rendering you neutral. Unless you secretly hate your party and wouldn't mind fighting them.
    Last edited by Captain Six; 2010-09-02 at 08:59 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

I think it's charmed, but she is ordering me around like the dominated vampire spawn so I don't know if he forgot to type something or what. I know I skipped the first round of charms by standing in an antimagic field which I stepped out of to bring a custom mind affecting defense into play (will save or be confused) then I got hit with it and she didn't lose her mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Six View Post
    Well, if you have an evil party, judging from the races, even 'friend' means 'someone I will ditch to save myself'. Regardless of alignment there is only so much you will go through to save a friend before giving them a heartfelt "sorry" and stepping to the side. Also note that although Charm makes you their friend it does not negate old friends, so the most likely response is that you try to stop all damage both ways so everyone can discuss over their problems in a way that no one gets hurt.

In the end all a low level effect like Charm is capable of is rendering you neutral. Unless you secretly hate your party and wouldn't mind fighting them.
    Nope the party is my guys best friends. He might be a half-crazy,evil, Psycho but the party members are off limits to killing, And it is a mixed party, lots of arguments over whether to kill or just turn enemies in.
    Last edited by druid91; 2010-09-02 at 09:05 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

You'll want to double check that, charm and dominate are incredibly different playing fields.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quotes of the action. in order of top is the most recent. bottom is the least recent.

Quote Originally Posted by Drowbane View Post
    The demoness raises an unseen wing in attempt to [ooc=shield]Reflex Save: passed, 1/2 dmg (20), Resist Fire 10: 10 dmg; Fortitude Save: passed
    [dice]1d20+24[/dice] [dice]1d20+26[/dice][/ooc] her from Adrian's hell-fire blast. His attepts to [ooc=dispel]and anything else she has going :p[/ooc] her charm and dominate effects fail entirely.

Le'eska managed to shield herself from much of the blast, the air shimmers around where her left wing should be from the heat of his conflagaration. She smirks as she pulls an electrified scourge out of no-where and takes a [ooc=swing]
    AC hit: 52
    Damage: 16 + 3 electric
    [dice]1d20+37[dice] [dice]1d6[dice] [dice]1d8+12[dice][/ooc] at Adrian, and utters four words. Isaac, Jaina... defend me.

[OOC]Le'eska command will grant both Isaac and Jaina an additional Will Save, as fighting Adrian isn't likely something they want to do.[/ooc]

~ Round One ~
    Ayame & Makluth Xvim
    Adrian
    Le'eska - Slowed; has taken [ooc=10 hell-fire]And will take 5 more next round automatically. However, this won't get through her Fire Resistance 10[/ooc]
    Isaac
    Lenor
    Jaina
    ~ * ~
    Come, let us have a drink and relax. And you can tell me all about your experiences with the Far Realms. If you will follow me.. Her words sound reasonable enough, you all have had a long day, and after all Le'eska is a [ooc=dear friend]Charm Monster - Mass DC 35 (immunities I need to know about?)
    Adrian: passed
    Isaac: fail
    Jaina: fail
    Le'eska (save vs Insanity for brushing Isaac's Mind: 31
    [dice]1d20+29[/dice] [dice]1d20+10[/dice] [dice]1d20[/dice] [dice]1d20+23[/dice][/ooc].

Jaina walks towards Le'eska with stars in her eyes, smitten.

[ooc=Actions so far]Gaze attack, Free Action to Dominate Jaina, Standard action to Charm - Mass[/ooc]

Le'eska smiles seductively at Isaac, oh that old piece of trash? It is nothing.

As Adrian nears, he is certain that she is no illusion. No, she is physical perfection, it is exceedingly rare to find any creature as [ooc=beautiful]Will Saves DC 37
    Adrian: 49
    Isaac: 28 (AMF'd)
    Jaina: 9
    [dice]1d20+29[/dice] [dice]1d20+10[/dice] [dice]1d20[/dice]
    [/ooc] as this. Her eyes seem to sparkle and her smile widens. So you have heard of me? What brings you to Ruun Khazai?

Jaina is quite taken in by her [ooc=charms]-2 penalty on attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saving throws, skill checks, ability checks, and level checks. Until end of round (then you roll vs Will again, etc)[/ooc]. Come to me child, we should go somewhere more comfortable to talk, don't you think?, she [ooc=gestures]Free Action: Dominate Monster DC 37
    [dice]1d20[/dice][/ooc] for Jaina to come forward.

[ooc=ooc]wow, I'm a tard. Isaac wasn't affected due to proximity to the... crate[/ooc]

[ooc=SunshinePanda][dice=Adrian]1d20+29[dice][dice=Jaina]1d20[dice]SHE'S A NYMPH! IT'S A TRAP![/ooc]
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quoted. Going in my sig.

It appears that you have been dominated. If you want to use one of the suggestions, I'd suggest you try to recommend to the demoness: "an interplanar escape from these pests". I think she has to allow you to do stuff. The one hazard of suggesting that is that she might name a specific plane.

Then again, you could just intentionally fail a Knowledge (the planes) check...
    "...there's a bunch of hells; I'm sure Mistress will be fine in any of them. She is so pretty, after all..."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    You kill people by teleporting their brain...into your hand. That's about as badass as it gets, and should come with a free +30 on all Intimidate checks made...ever.

No gods. No kings. Only PCs. Ceteris paribus.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    Nope the party is my guys best friends. He might be a half-crazy,evil, Psycho but the party members are off limits to killing, And it is a mixed party, lots of arguments over whether to kill or just turn enemies in.
    Actually I was referring to the succubus. Charm makes your character the caster's friend and nothing more. If you're wounded bad and your 'friend' tries to use you as a meat shield you're in your rights to yell back 'heck no!' The big thing is whether or not you were charmed or dominated, it is kind of confusing in the posts.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Six View Post
    Actually I was referring to the succubus. Charm makes your character the caster's friend and nothing more. If you're wounded bad and your 'friend' tries to use you as a meat shield you're in your rights to yell back 'heck no!' The big thing is whether or not you were charmed or dominated, it is kind of confusing in the posts.
    It seems it is specifically Charm Monster Mass - which would be an 'ah, no' situation or a matter of 'I'll help you escape' situation, yes.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

My character is Isaac, And I As far as I can tell the only one dominated was jaina, It was said in a retcon she could only dominate one at a time.

So assuming charmed. ANd I was talking about the, "Unless you secretly hate the party" bit.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

Wow, I thought the same thing looking at the title, verbatim.
    Check out the Hansbachman Blog, it's a cure for all of your ills!
    It's Grade A, Top Notch, and One of a Kind!
    All natural, Backwards Compatible and Moving Forward with the times.
    We're off-brand, off-tempo, and on point, with an ear to the ground, finger on the pulse, and hand on the trigger.
    We're on the beat like Ginsberg, hyper-aware and hyper-active.
    Running on multi-actuated heavy duty pistons with a pistol grip.

Thanks to Dashwood for the Extravagant Avatar

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

You know what I'm just gonna go for the original plan of hug her for con damage.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    You know what I'm just gonna go for the original plan of hug her for con damage.
    You-

Wait, what? You're going to hug a succubus?

Godspeed, my man. This will either end terribly, or awesomely.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Since you're charmed, you should be taking more or less whatever action you'd take if two of your party members started fighting all of a sudden, with preference (if relevant) given to the one who Charmed you.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Genn Greymane View Post
    You-

Wait, what? You're going to hug a succubus?

Godspeed, my man. This will either end terribly, or awesomely.
    Well I deal con damage on physical contact,though that's nothing compared with the imp guy who gives you a disease that kills your brain. I think its possession disease or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapak View Post
    Since you're charmed, you should be taking more or less whatever action you'd take if two of your party members started fighting all of a sudden, with preference (if relevant) given to the one who Charmed you.
    Well the Dm let me get away with having the character Laugh and stand back and let it finish, Sometimes being only semi-sane is helpful.
    Last edited by druid91; 2010-09-03 at 12:01 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

If you're still looking for unpleasant planes to shuffle this bitch off to, might I suggest the Elemental Plane of Time (back of Manual of the Planes)? Nothing really survives there. I don't recommend following her there.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

A few non-standard choices:

- Pandemonium, it's the plane wizards and gods and factions send things they want to have disappear forever.

- Carceri, for the same reasons. It's a prison-plane, supposedly very difficult to get out of.

- Ravenloft, full stop.
    If RPG's have taught me anything, it's that all social and economic problems of the world can be solved through murder.