New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Would you approve this spell, as a DM?

Looking at a custom researched spell:

True Reincarnate

Level: Drd 6
    Casting Time: 10 minutes

This spell functions as reincarnate, except that the new body is of the same race as the previous incarnation.

Material Component
    Rare oils and unguents worth a total of least 5,000 gp, spread over the remains.

It's a bit of a duplication of Raise Dead, but we're in a no-cleric party and the DM is rather stingy with purchasing magic.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Would you approve this spell, as a DM?

Maybe let either the caster or the recipient choose their form? If they still want to come back as they were then that's fine, just a way to differenciate it from Raise Dead and keep the Reincarnate flavour.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2010-09-03 at 08:05 AM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Maybe let either the caster or the recipient choose their form? If they still want to come back as they were then that's fine, just a way to differenciate it from Raise Dead and keep the Reincarnate flavour.
    Possibly. My concern is whether that could be considered a power upgrade to the spell (as you could choose the most powerful form).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Power-wise it's fine, but it's a bit boring. I think it's more interesting if druidic and clerical magic works differently when it comes to raising the dead - druids can do it sooner and more cheaply, but with a major drawback. So I'd probably say no.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

its a drawback? :P

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Perhaps provide a more restricted list of reincarnateables, all of the humanoid type. Less chance of coming back as a kobold or bugbear in that case. Switch the name up to greater reincarnate and then produce a 4th (or maybe even 3rd) level spell with a much broader list of possible results (say, including badgers). Make a "true" reincarnate a 9th level spell. The main "issue" with reincarnate is that you come back with a young adult body, so you can effectively live forever if you have a druid buddy. Just kill yourself when you hit venerable, and come back with mental stats intact, and your physical stats appropriate to your new form. If you keep doing this for 1000s of years, your mental stats will steadily climb through the roof (though much much slower than with other cheese).
    Trust me. I'm a geologist.

My/Friends' Homebrew.

Home on the Range? Bright light city gonna set your soul on fire? Or were you born to be wild? Americana-Punk wants YOU to contribute your homebrew!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cheezewizz2000 View Post
    Then an Inevitable comes along and chops your face off.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

From a purely mechanical perspective, I would peg the price to be higher than Raise Dead's 5,000 gp, and possibly higher even than Resurrection's 10,000 gp. Like Resurrection, Reincarnate can work so long as it has a small fragment of the original creature (unlike Raise Dead which requires an intact corpse).

Furthermore, Reincarnate returns the subject to Young Adult Boy and can be used to undo ageing penalties. However, unlike Ressurection, (True) Reincarnate does not work on targets killed by Death Effects, or turned into an Undead. One might argue that these factors balance out, and thusly True Reincarnate should be the same level and cost as Ressurection.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Putting it on par with Rez seems appropriate.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

I wouldn't allow it; Druids shouldn't get a more powerful, less expensive resurrection ability. I would probably allow a karma-adjusting spell that you could cast before reincarnating a body - let it double the chance of getting the same race you had, or increase the chances of getting x number of bodies and reduce the chances of y number, or something like that. (Could also be fun for non-allies; "Sorry we had to reincarnate the prince as a kobold; couple more deaths and he should be right as rain.")

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Are you running a no cleric party because of the setting or because of player selection? If you just happen to have no clerics in your group, it doesn't seem unreasonable to supply the group with a replacement for some of the cleric's mechanics for the purpose of maintaining game flow.

Now, if the DM has restricted clerics and wants to run a more 'Hardcore' die-and-you're-out game, that's a horse of a different color.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
    Are you running a no cleric party because of the setting or because of player selection? If you just happen to have no clerics in your group, it doesn't seem unreasonable to supply the group with a replacement for some of the cleric's mechanics for the purpose of maintaining game flow.

Now, if the DM has restricted clerics and wants to run a more 'Hardcore' die-and-you're-out game, that's a horse of a different color.
    Our cleric quit. I mostly wanted a way to avoid the "your wizard has been reincarnated as a gnoll, you now have a LA and -2 to your casting stat" problem without delaying the spell a huge number of levels - I don't want to have to push it to a 9th level spell when a cleric can do it at 5.
    Last edited by WarKitty; 2010-09-03 at 09:10 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Perhaps you can simply add a bit more druid flavor. For example make it so the spell can only be cast in a forest glade. It takes 24 hours, during which the trees and grasses connected their roots to the corpse and deliver nutrients to rebuild its tissue cell by cell.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Our cleric quit. I mostly wanted a way to avoid the "your wizard has been reincarnated as a gnoll, you now have a LA and -2 to your casting stat" problem without delaying the spell a huge number of levels - I don't want to have to push it to a 9th level spell when a cleric can do it at 5.
    I'd include Lysander's suggestion and make it 5th or 6th level depending on the party level. Maybe add a temporary shaken debuff or something that kicks in any time the subject does something to willfully harm nature's balance any more than absolutely necessary to survive for a few days/weeks after being brought back. Things like walking on grass or killing a boar as humanely as possible for food are acceptable, casting a fireball in a forest is not.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tetrasodium View Post
    I'd include Lysander's suggestion and make it 5th or 6th level depending on the party level. Maybe add a temporary shaken debuff or something that kicks in any time the subject does something to willfully harm nature's balance any more than absolutely necessary to survive for a few days/weeks after being brought back. Things like walking on grass or killing a boar as humanely as possible for food are acceptable, casting a fireball in a forest is not.
    Hmmm not bad. I might even be willing to include some sort of minor quest that the subject has to undertake immediately after being reincarnated.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

you can always just maximise your reincarnate or empower it to evade some of the sillier options. :P

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Looking at a custom researched spell:

True Reincarnate

Level: Drd 6
    Casting Time: 10 minutes

This spell functions as reincarnate, except that the new body is of the same race as the previous incarnation.

Material Component
    Rare oils and unguents worth a total of least 5,000 gp, spread over the remains.

It's a bit of a duplication of Raise Dead, but we're in a no-cleric party and the DM is rather stingy with purchasing magic.
    No. It's too boring.

If what you want to do is avoid particular forms, what I would do is create an alternative reincarnate table without those forms, and including other acceptable forms and effects, such as change sex, reroll any 3 ability scores (players choice), random spell like ability + drawback, ect.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

I'd try the following:

"Yo, DM, since the reincarnate spell is borked, howzabout instead of getting that, Druids get the same resurrection spells that Clerics do, but one level later. Like with cure spells. That cool?"

But as to the question in the thread title: Would I, as DM, allow a Druid to have a spell that's basically resurrection, but takes up a spell slot one lower and only has half the cost in material components? No.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devils_Advocate View Post
    I'd try the following:

"Yo, DM, since the reincarnate spell is borked, howzabout instead of getting that, Druids get the same resurrection spells that Clerics do, but one level later. Like with cure spells. That cool?"

But as to the question in the thread title: Would I, as DM, allow a Druid to have a spell that's basically resurrection, but takes up a spell slot one lower and only has half the cost in material components? No.
    The basis for this spell was supposed to be raise dead, not resurrection - hence why the level is pegged at 6 to raise dead's 5. Personally I'm not sure what the major advantage of resurrection is over raise dead, other than the improved time limit. Sure it cures a few things, but if you're high enough level and have the time to cast raise dead, you should be able to cast restoration and whatever other spells available.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Raise dead needs the whole body.

Resurrection can do with just a finger, or less.

That's pretty much the difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

You don't get penalties to your mental scores from Reincarnate. At most, you might lose your bonuses from your previous race, depending on how you interpret the spell. LA and Racial Hit dice still seem to be a problem, but... consider coup de grace and Last Breath from the Spell Compendium if you want to re-roll reincarnate.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
    Raise dead needs the whole body.

Resurrection can do with just a finger, or less.

That's pretty much the difference.
    Oooo missed that bit. Perhaps just add a line saying "In order to create a new body of the same race, the old body must be taken to a special grove where it undergoes an accelerated decay and is recycled into the new form." Or something like that, I'll work the fluff out.

Edit: Good point to the mental stats. Would still suck for the half-orc fighter being reincarnated as a halfling, or anyone being reincarnated as one of the +2 races. Wouldn't it change favored class as well?
    Last edited by WarKitty; 2010-09-06 at 09:49 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

As it is a "True" reincarnate, why not alleviate the random factor, and make the target reincarnate in a body who reflects what he did in his previous life?...

... Well, could be hard to put in play, but could be fun.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reis Tahlen View Post
    As it is a "True" reincarnate, why not alleviate the random factor, and make the target reincarnate in a body who reflects what he did in his previous life?...

... Well, could be hard to put in play, but could be fun.
    Very fun, no idea how to work it out, and not going to work it out right now.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

How about giving this spell as a spell like ability to a race
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Obvious View Post
    How about giving this spell as a spell like ability to a race
    Yeah that sounds a bit *too* powerful, at least for a PC race. The original idea was to allow our no-cleric party a way to get dead PC's back without having to hunt down the appropriate NPC.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Limit it to 12 times total and only work on self
    Last edited by The_Admiral; 2010-09-06 at 05:24 PM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

There's a higher level reincarnate in Masters of the Wild. Level nine, I think. And it allows you to roll TWICE, not be the same, so I'd say no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Not again...

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lhurgyof View Post
    There's a higher level reincarnate in Masters of the Wild. Level nine, I think. And it allows you to roll TWICE, not be the same, so I'd say no.
    That is...really quite ridiculous. A cleric can cast True Resurrection at that level. I understand class specialization, but really at that point you're just making it a class tax (i.e. every party must have a cleric).

30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

That is...really quite ridiculous. A cleric can cast True Resurrection at that level. I understand class specialization, but really at that point you're just making it a class tax (i.e. every party must have a cleric).
    True Reincarnate
    Trans.
    Druid 9
    Components: V,S,DF,XP
    Casting Time: 10 mins.

Works like reincarnate, but up to 10 years/caster level. Can work on someone who's body was destroyed Roll twice on the table, no level loss, but you must spend 1,000 xp.

Just looked it up.

The druid splatbook didn't have as much nice things as you'd find for clerics, probably because of -cough cough- wild shape and animal companion -cough cough-
    Last edited by Lhurgyof; 2010-09-06 at 10:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Not again...