New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Lvl 20 wiz-killer monk (3.5)

I know, I know, what you're thinking. Not another monk thread, let alone a speculation about dumpster tier(monk) defeating a lvl 20 epic tier (wizard) class. But I am a curious guy and would like some opinions on how much epic lvls should monk take, to be able to defeat a lvl 20 wizard with all his overpowered magic?

Just a speculative question.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Lvl 20 wiz-killer monk (3.5)

...must...resist...the...urge...of...sarcastic...a nswer...

done.

Ok, leaving aside all the rest, are you speaking about a straight monk, or what? PrCs? books allowed?
    You should give more infos.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Strictly speaking, with just core, he can do it at level 21. He has to take the Epic Leadership feat and pump his leadership score to 30+ so that he can get his own level 20 wizard.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

I still want to see a wizard optimise himself to specifically take out monks.
    Mannerism RPG An RPG in which your descriptions resolve your actions and sculpts your growth.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Strictly speaking, with just core, he can do it at level 21. He has to take the Epic Leadership feat and pump his leadership score to 30+ so that he can get his own level 20 wizard.
    That requires level 22. Your cohort has to be 2 or more levels less than you.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    Your Tainted Scholar builds look fun, but I'm lactose intolerant
    You're just trying to get more people into your sig, aren't you
    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Seeing TO by Magic9Mushroom is like seeing a movie with Joss Wheaton as director... you know that it's worth watching, even if you do want to strangle the bastard by the time you're done with it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    I still want to see a wizard optimise himself to specifically take out monks.
    They do.
    They use spells.
    But, really, in a straight up fight, the monk would need to get in close to the wizard and beat him in fisticuffs. Not really any other way.
    Some men just want to watch the world shift uncomfortably in its seat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by absolmorph View Post
    I happen to like screwing around with Handle Animal.
    Red Mage, is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Now you're cranking it up to eleven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    A week ago, I didn't know who you were. Now I know: you're the BEST PERSON EVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.

If you're reading this for some reason, you can find me in a few places on the web as azoicennead.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    ...must...resist...the...urge...of...sarcastic...a nswer...

done.

Ok, leaving aside all the rest, are you speaking about a straight monk, or what? PrCs? books allowed?
    You should give more infos.
    Congrats on that will save. I had in mind straight monk. As for leadership ... no. Just no. All I am talking about is a silly amount of XP and lvls for a monk with no leadership.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

You'd need magic items to make yourself invisible, silent, and unscryable, maximise hide & move silently to back this up, and further magic items to cancel out his tricks visavis always going first in combat. With that kit, any melee class could walk right up to and full attack him before he does anything, and if you pump your damage enough, you should leave him a smear on the ground. (But even then... he'd likely have a contingency, so you'd need to pay some wizard lots of moolah to set you up with counter-contingencies).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Adamaro View Post
    Congrats on that will save. I had in mind straight monk. As for leadership ... no. Just no. All I am talking about is a silly amount of XP and lvls for a monk with no leadership.
    and leaving aside all the broken loops with candles, etc.

Well, it can be done... but how many levels you'd need, it's highly debatable.
    The point is: it's not the monk winning the match, but his epic WBL.
    We saw (in previous threads and arena matches) that even a fighter 20 can sometime beat a wizard 13, but the thing happened mostly thanks to the differences in money-equipment.
    So, the same could be applied to a Wiz 20 Vs a Monk xx, but the things get A LOT more complicated.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Well, if it's not a cheesed wizard, you get total immunity to anything allowing SR if you have a few levels on him. That helps. Also, you're a monk, so you have high speed.

The problem is the wizard's Foresight meaning he gets immediate actions, meaning in turn he can use Celerity and win. To counteract this, you'd want a silly-huge initiative check and some sort of wondrous item that can cast Greater Celerity.

You'd want at least as many levels as you need to get Vorpal Strike, and hope you get lucky, or something methinks.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seeing TO by Magic9Mushroom is like seeing a movie with Joss Wheaton as director... you know that it's worth watching, even if you do want to strangle the bastard by the time you're done with it.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Essentially, you're dragging 20 levels of a class that does very little in the way of combat vs. a wizard. Don't count on any of your monk abilities saving the day here. The wizard easily counters/one-ups everything a monk has. You will be buying victory via equipment and whatever feats you can get. The good news is that as long as he doesn't have epic spellcasting, it's concievably possible that you could win.

It would help if you could multiclass out to a slightly less awful base class.. something with full spellcasting would be ideal. But that would defeat the point of being a monk, wouldn't it? Defeat his initative tricks, or at least copy them, but make sure your initative count is much higher. Go first, then kill him the exact same way he would kill you, instantly in the surprise round and with extreme prejudice. The best way to beat a wizard is always going to be with another wizard, but if you can't have one then you can always UMD/fake being one yourself with enough cash.

If I had to ballpark it, I would say you could afford the items you need to outwizard a level 20 wizard by ECL 30 or so. Maybe earlier? Just buy stuff like you were a wizard, pump your UMD to the point where it won't fail ever and outfit yourself with spells from items.
    Last edited by Tokiko Mima; 2010-02-04 at 05:52 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by magic9mushroom View Post
    That requires level 22. Your cohort has to be 2 or more levels less than you.
    Improved Cohort (Heroes of Battle) would like to have a word with you.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

This guide may be relevant, and also this one. Both give invaluable advice in how to deal with near-epic wizards when you're a glorified pick punchpocket.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ashram View Post
    Improved Cohort (Heroes of Battle) would like to have a word with you.
    Can that stack with Thrallherd for a thrall the same level as you?
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Here's how you do it:
    Gain protection from divinations using your insane WBL.
    Don't be a kobold.
    Wear full plate.
    Take the feats that let you deflect an infinite number of things that use ranged (touch) attack rolls to attack you.
    The wizard makes the foolish mistake of hurling an orb at you.
    He dies.

Really, though, this is pretty meta-gamey, since the playground has a huge wet spot for orb spells, and you're taking advantage of the fact that the wizard has no way of knowing you can hurl his crap right back at him.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

@Faceroll,

I like that solution. Even if he knows you're a monk, he might use an orb to get around your SR anyway...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

faceroll: Chances are the first reflected Orb will just set off a Contingency from the Wizard and there won't be a second. He'll most likely waste Maws of Chaos or similars after he 'Ports back; becoming a Chaotic Outsider could be beneficial. Also, Exceptional Deflection is an epic feat.

Spell Reflection is nice, except gaining sufficient Touch AC to dodge the True Striked Orbs after losing all item abilities is gonna be hard.

@OP: You could optimize Basketweaving.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

18. - Top - End - #18

I think it's probably a bad idea to let the wizard have an action. Orb'ing someone to death with direct damage is difficult to stop, but if you give the wizard a chance to act, you never know what spell combination he'll fire off, especially since he knows his divinations have failed on you and that's a clue about the level of the threat as well.

What if he decides to toy with you instead of going for the kill, and drops a Timestop > Dimension Lock > Whirlwind of Teeth > Forcecage combination on you instead? You can prepare for this situation (Rod of Cancellation,) but there's a dozen dozen nasty tricks wizards have, and if you forget even one then you'll be suffering for it. I really think the best way is to slaughter him before he gets his first action... it's the only way you're sure that you'll still be standing when your next action comes up.

19. - Top - End - #19

Being one who has dabbled with UMD/UPD builds, I can decently assume that 22nd level would be sufficient to reliably beat down a pre-epic 20th level wizard? Why? Epic wealth trumps many, many things, and wizards are not exempt from that rule. Yes, you'll likely have an absurd gear list just to combat the wizard, but I feel as though at that point it becomes a money war rather than an ability war. An epic character can simply BUY immunity to death effects, Mind Blank, AC, etc.

Which leads to the question: Can an epic level character protect himself against things that would strip him of this wealth? Namely, can an epic level character protect against disjunction? The answer, at least outside of core, is a worrisome 'yes'.

Edit: An interesting trick that anyone with absurd wealth can do. Spellbooks, as per Complete Arcane, may be trapped. Additionally, as per the trap section, if you want to have an automatic reloading, touch-triggered area spell trap, you can (500 x Spell Level x Caster Level gp). This means that any person with the chaotic subtype (or the means of gaining it) can simply walk around with a trapped spellbook with Maw of Chaos imprinted on to it, and lay waste to all those that dare approach with naught but a free action taptap to the book. But, as I state above, this is more to do with wealth than character ability.

This is one of the reasons why my personal belief is that class comparisons must be done at levels with relatively low wealth (read: MUCH less than 700k), because at that point the gear does the talking, not the character. At least, if you're willing to dumpster dive for said gear.
    Last edited by Signmaker; 2010-02-04 at 06:55 AM.
    "So Marbles, why do they call you Marbles?"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

You know, if you were a Black Ethergaunt/Elemental Weird/Cronotyryn/Immoth/whathaveyou, you'd only need one level of Monk... Right? Right??

Ahem. Anyway, if you buy a scroll of Teleport Through Time, you can definately kill the Wizard before he can cast a spell (as in, before he can cast a spell).

And ofcourse, with Epic WBL you could buy an at-will item of Wish, which would give you on-demand access to all 8th level or lower spells like Mindblank, Veil of Undeath, Energy Immunity etc.
    If a tree falls in a forest, the Druid will make sure you hear about it.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Signmaker View Post
    Being one who has dabbled with UMD/UPD builds, I can decently assume that 22nd level would be sufficient to reliably beat down a pre-epic 20th level wizard? Why? Epic wealth trumps many, many things, and wizards are not exempt from that rule.
    The real question is, what does WBL matter anymore? Every class is capable of generating infinite amounts of money at that point (some more efficiently than others) so it should really be a zero-sum.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    The real question is, what does WBL matter anymore? Every class is capable of generating infinite amounts of money at that point (some more efficiently than others) so it should really be a zero-sum.
    Ah, right. I made the assumption that loop tricks weren't in effect. I suppose you've got a point there. If that's the case, then it boils down to who can dumpster dive for items the best and use them in conjunction with their skill set. Which still presents an issue with little impact stemming from class levels. Each person will have an arbitrarily high bonus for each skill, for initiative, etc.
    Last edited by Signmaker; 2010-02-04 at 08:15 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Signmaker View Post
    Ah, right. I made the assumption that loop tricks weren't in effect. I suppose you've got a point there. If that's the case, then it boils down to who can dumpster dive for items the best and use them in conjunction with their skill set. Which still presents an issue with little impact stemming from class levels. Each person will have an arbitrarily high bonus for each skill, for initiative, etc.
    Well, that depends on whether custom items exist in this multiverse or if you're only limited to printed items; there's a very real cap to what printed items can accomplish. I think +12 is the highest stat bonus in print, for example. It also depends on the multiverse economy and the exact functioning of Wish a bit. Sufficient to say, we lack the parameters to make anything beyond educated guesses on the matter.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Well, that depends on whether custom items exist in this multiverse or if you're only limited to printed items; there's a very real cap to what printed items can accomplish. I think +12 is the highest stat bonus in print, for example. It also depends on the multiverse economy and the exact functioning of Wish a bit. Sufficient to say, we lack the parameters to make anything beyond educated guesses on the matter.
    True. But there are enough printed sources of, say, initiative boosters, that getting a +40 initiative by 20th level is perfectly doable. As is getting a decently high score in whatever skill you feel like boosting. If you wanted a monk that could at least defend against a caster's tricks, you would simply need a high enough UMD/UPD check to cast the requisite immunity-granting scrolls and such. Granted, I can't say I'd know how such a character would actually attempt to BEAT the wizard in question, but I know that toe-to-toe combat is at least possible, if not probable. It's one of those situations where there's such a plethora of source material to sift through that 'smart' combat at that level gets hazy, so it's difficult to judge who has the better chance of winning. The default method of judgement, then, usually gets pushed to the inherent class abilities, which I feel to be a flawed choice.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, more interesting question: How many epic levels would a straight-classed human monk need to beat a level 20 straight-classed human wizard, with both characters being limited to level 20 WBL?
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    Okay, more interesting question: How many epic levels would a straight-classed human monk need to beat a level 20 straight-classed human wizard, with both characters being limited to level 20 WBL?
    Oof, tough one. I would think the answer boils down to "Whoever can spam disjunction often enough to succeed, and then follow up with token sure-kill."

Which leads to the answer "Whoever has better action economy to do so" which, while one would usually think the Wizard, I think the Monk has a fair chance via Psionics (that isn't to say the Wizard can't use Psionics either, but the existance of such powers as Synchronicity make efficient action use a very...curious thing). So then the answer would be "At whatever epic level such that the monk's bonus feats allow for near-equal action economy abuse".
    Last edited by Signmaker; 2010-02-04 at 08:38 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    All of them.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    All of them.
    +1. In before Giacomo.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

This challenge is more interesting if the Wizard is defined so we do not get people doing Schrodinger's Wizard as well as "well, I would never allow that" games.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfire Titan View Post
    +1. In before Giacomo.
    See, blanket statements like that don't really contribute, especially when you don't provide evidence to support your claims. I'll admit, in a core game you're quite probably right (as most monk discussions bizarrely end up), but splatbooks open up such a variety of options that you actually do have to sit down and consider them, especially at the upper levels where the dividing lines between full casters and improvisational non-casters blur.