New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 46 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Banned

Default Re: GITP Monster Competition Chat Thread

Alright, no worries folks, I'll be going over all the entries today. Have both a sprained knee and the starts of a horrible cold, but I can do this!

2. - Top - End - #392
    Banned

Everyone should now have been messaged.

The contest ends tonight at midnight (EST) so everyone be sure to get their last minute entries in!

3. - Top - End - #393
    Banned

Alright, the new contest has begun.

Keep in mind everyone that the theme is the Sun. Fire is only secondary to that. So even if the creature is blazing, if it doesn't have ties to the sun its not in theme.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ettin in the Playground

Closet Skeleton,
    Charspawn is pretty cool, however i have some doubts.
    It's physical stats suggest that he is weak and barely in one piece beacuse of fire which kills the human. So such many Hit points look kinda strange. All undeads have d12 however so it's hard to do anything with that.
    His/Its damage reduction is weird hovever. I don't think that scorched body will bu such durable.
    It will all probably depend on his look, fluff, weight ec, if you will write more about that.

Burning Fever looks like pain in ***, but not too dangerous since Charspawn have low to hit anyway. And good for roleplaying :Damn, it burns! What's wrong with me...

Hope that such suggestion aren't against Competition rules. I'm new in this thread, so I don't know.

EDIT: Oh and it seems that your monster has nothing to do with Sun, so I'm not sure if Vorpal will consider it valid.
    Last edited by Spiryt; 2007-06-01 at 10:25 AM.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Bugbear in the Playground

Question about the contest:

How much can we stretch the idea of a relationship to the Sun?

I understand that it's not just supposed to be about fire, but can we go farther and make it about something like, say, gravity? or the cycle of rising and setting? would Fax's photosynthetic template, had it not already been created, be a valid entry? To put another way, it says it needs to connect to fire only generally, so could that be cosmetic or ability based, rather than defining the creature, letting the sun connection do that instead?

Two ideas i've been kicking around involve song lyrics: The house of the rising sun, a construct with various powers based on time of day, and The needle a poison based monster who's powers start low, reach an apex, than drop nearly to zero again. (from: "i've seen the needle and the damage done/a little part of us in every one/and every junkie's like a setting sun...)

Would these be acceptable submissions thematically speaking? or do they need a more direct physical connection to that big, beautiful star that keeps us all alive?

Cool idea by the way.

p.s. also, I understand that these monsters need to be unique coming in, but if we like what we come up with can we later submit them for, say, MitP?
    Last edited by Poppatomus; 2007-06-01 at 01:50 PM. Reason: clarifying

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

I entered something. Hopefully, it uses the sun enough for it to fit in, but i might change it, if people think it doesnt work.
    Thank Saturn for this avatar!

7. - Top - End - #397
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Poppatomus View Post
    Question about the contest:

How much can we stretch the idea of a relationship to the Sun?

I understand that it's not just supposed to be about fire, but can we go farther and make it about something like, say, gravity? or the cycle of rising and setting? would Fax's photosynthetic template, had it not already been created, be a valid entry? To put another way, it says it needs to connect to fire only generally, so could that be cosmetic or ability based, rather than defining the creature, letting the sun connection do that instead?
    Fax's photosynthetic thing would be fine. Just because it does something the sun does however doesn't make it 'sun-based'. So yes, the sun has gravity, but a gravity-based creature has nothing to do with the sun.

Two ideas i've been kicking around involve song lyrics: The house of the rising sun, a construct with various powers based on time of day, and The needle a poison based monster who's powers start low, reach an apex, than drop nearly to zero again. (from: "i've seen the needle and the damage done/a little part of us in every one/and every junkie's like a setting sun...)

Would these be acceptable submissions thematically speaking? or do they need a more direct physical connection to that big, beautiful star that keeps us all alive?
    Those would be perfectly in theme, assuming the latter is tuned to the sun for its power, perhaps solar powered.

p.s. also, I understand that these monsters need to be unique coming in, but if we like what we come up with can we later submit them for, say, MitP?
    Don't see why not. These are your creations to do with as you please.

As for the entries so far... I'm not sure they do more than have a brushing acquaintance with the sun, if even that. Fire is secondary to the main theme.

8. - Top - End - #398

Thanks Vorpal.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

I forgot to mention something in my Essence of Fire about the elemental planes. My world is a lot closer to the elemental planes than normal worlds-- the Elemental plane of Water can be reached by diving far enough underwater, by spelunking deep enough in the Underdark you wind up in the realm of Earth, THe Elemental Plane of Air is in the sky so High up it cannot be seen, and the elemental plane of fire- the purest, in my realm, and the most closely related to the soul and spirit, is the sun-- the most removed from the Material Plane, and the most pure.
    I don't know if I should edit this into the monster history or not.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

Wasn't Icewalker's Coronal Elemental pre-existing?
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ogre in the Playground

OOTS rules, your burning bush isnt really about the sun. And i think ive seen it somewhere before, but i might be wrong about that.
    Thank Saturn for this avatar!

12. - Top - End - #402
    Titan in the Playground

You have, but it was ruled inelligible for last months contest I think, and he said he would enter it in this one's, but I don't know if it fits here either from a quick glance at it.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Well, Coronal Elemental is 'pre-existing' as in, I made it before the contest, but that is fine, I asked VT about it for the 8th contest too, where I entered my Lure Eel I had also first made for MitP II.

The coronal elemental is actually based off of the sun. It is in effect a small floating sun, moving around.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

Due to the ability to operate in a larger environment, I would say the Nimbus Golem should have an intellegence score.
    Extended Signature

15. - Top - End - #405

I considered that, but I decided that it's ability to operate in a larger environment flows more from wisdom than anything else. It's programmed to follow a certain path and take certain actions at certain triggers, but like other golems it isn't really "clever" or "aware" of its surroundings. Its ability to engage in debate, for example, is totally independent of its behvior in combat. It just happens to be constructed in such a way that it will give programmed responses to certain input. Even if it had an int score it would need to be very low, perhaps a 1.

You don't think that would make it too different from a construct? Would it need then to have more personality?

EDIT: and am I allowed to make a non-kinetic change like that?
    Last edited by Poppatomus; 2007-06-03 at 12:14 PM.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Dwarf in the Playground

Woo! First entry of mine on this thread. All the other entries looked very spiffy, hope I can keep up.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Alright, the new contest has begun.

Keep in mind everyone that the theme is the Sun. Fire is only secondary to that. So even if the creature is blazing, if it doesn't have ties to the sun its not in theme.
    Oh, er, whoops. I should have looked at this first. Somehow it wasn't obvious to me from the contest thread.

*rip rip rip* Back to the drawing board.
    My latest homebrew: Gastrus

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not quite sure mine fits too well. Maybe fluff-based, but it doesn't really have any mechanical connection to the Sun.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Yeah, I'm not so sure about mine. The Sun is the Elemental Plane of Fire, but I don't know if that is actually enough.

20. - Top - End - #410

So, my entry's in. I've never done a high level monster before, so I'm not at all sure how accurate my calculations are for the CR. Input on that would be greatly appreciated.

That, and feedback in general, of course.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Banned

*pants*

Alright, everyone should have a message with my feedback to their critters. This looks to be shaping up into one of the better competitions. Real high quality stuff submitted this month.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I just submitted a monster. I'm not sure about the CR, or the LA adjustment, but I think it's a pretty cool monster.
    "The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words ... English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."

"The only thing necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing."

23. - Top - End - #413
    Banned

Hey Mattarias and Macrovore, just thought I might mention that your creations need to have some kind of connection with the sun to meet the prerequisites of the contest.

OOTS_Rules as well, though you wouldn't have to change it much to make yours sun-based.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Oh. I thought it was either fire or sun. Whatever. It's changed now.
    "The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words ... English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."

"The only thing necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing."

25. - Top - End - #415
    Barbarian in the Playground

With VT's chosen catchphrase I thought someone was already due to make a "Sun Ghoul" with the obligatory ghoul fever: "Disco inferno".

Or at least a mock submission.
    "Power is merely the faculty to act. It is a kinetic quantity few can grasp. The deaths of these fanatics costs me nothing. I can replace them. Because I never stop moving."

-Lucian~Fortuna Saga-

26. - Top - End - #416

Okay, so I'm beefing Raze up. I've increased his hitdice, natural armor, charisma score, added fast healing 10, and changed his weapon from a +5 Flaming Burst Vicious Wounding Halberd to a +10 Fiery Blast Vicious Wounding Halberd. My goal here is to get him to CR 35; that seems about the right level to fit the flavor. Have I succeeded?

27. - Top - End - #417
    Banned

Ok folks, voting is now up for Burn, Baby, BURN! See first post for link.

Also, I'm going to let you all in on next month's contest early as it is going to be a bit of a challenge.

The name of it is to be Beings of Legend and every entry is to be Epic-leveled.

As well, each entry must have a short story, poem, or epic-type tale telling of your beast.

There will be two votes for this contest, both for the creature itself and the story.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2007-06-21 at 11:28 AM.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Hey Mattarias and Macrovore, just thought I might mention that your creations need to have some kind of connection with the sun to meet the prerequisites of the contest.

OOTS_Rules as well, though you wouldn't have to change it much to make yours sun-based.
    Ah, sorry, I didn't know that this thread existed. Kindling live in the desert, which is a pretty sunny place, so I thought that might work. my apologies..?

edit: also, I have not recieved any PM. Is that bad?
    Last edited by Mattarias, King.; 2007-06-21 at 03:55 PM.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Banned

edit: also, I have not recieved any PM. Is that bad?
    Nope, the entry was just squeaky clean.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2007-07-01 at 07:24 AM.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Banned

June's contest has come to a close and July's now begun. See the first post for a link.

If anyone has any questions about Epic rules, feel free to ask.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2007-07-01 at 07:30 AM.