New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 46 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: GITP Monster Competition Chat Thread

Posted my Votive guardian. I'll tweek it tommorow cause I'm sure I missed something in my sleepy, late night creativeness.
    Check out Avatar

Some of my creations Forgotten Golem, Lady of the Fallen

Great avatar done by Thecrimsonmage

2. - Top - End - #572
    Orc in the Playground

VT, I just sent you a PM about an idea I had that I wanted to run past you first. While not an outright rule violation, it does skirt the edge a bit, so I thought I'd ask before getting too far into the design process.

Blue
    The cool avatar is by kPenguin

Hnikarr IC OOC
    Embresia IC OOC

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I put up my Disrupter, an idea I've had for awhile and I think it worked out ok, though I guess I could expand their flavor a bit more...

Also, I need serious help with their CR, I'm horrible at calculating that so I just kind of guessed, though they are extremely powerful...

4. - Top - End - #574
    Barbarian in the Playground

Posted my offering, the Oculans.

Not totally complete yet, but nearly there. The Creation and Lore entries are mostly finished in my head, I just need to transfer them from there to the keyboard. I also need to re-add the Study Target ability (I wrote it too unclearly, so I omitted it until I can write it out better), I think I want to tweak its Construct Traits a bit, I need to add an ability that grants Able Learner, and I need to redo the skills since I noticed I was misinformed about constructs and the points they receive.
    Other than that, there's a few nitpicky concerns I have about a number of presentation details (did I write this out right, and such) and I'm still concerned about the CR.
    Expect this to shrink a little when I return; I have a tendency to be too verbose, and things get more succinct when I come back and edit them later.

And of course, any comments or critiques anyone wants to offer up would be greatly appreciated. I'll be offering some comments of my own when I get time to read through the other entries.
    Last edited by Magnor Criol; 2007-12-03 at 02:12 AM.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Orc in the Playground

Finally finished the creature itself, the voice of divinity.

I may work on the flavor portion, or just rename the blasted thing, but the creature itself is complete and ready for judgment.
    The cool avatar is by kPenguin

Hnikarr IC OOC
    Embresia IC OOC

6. - Top - End - #576

Well, my contribution (my 1st contest entry) is up: the Rider's angel. Probably needs more flavour, but I don't have time. It'll do.

Guess what the Rider's favourite colour is.
    Necromancer avvie by Thecrimsonmage.

You don't kill the purple necromancer. The purple necromancer kills you, and uses your corpse as a draught excluder.

According to Player_Zero, I'm made entirely out of bees. Go figure.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Titan in the Playground

I'm contributing one of my own, actually, my first homebrew creature in this forums, so please warn me if I'm doing anything wrong. I don't know much about the competition system too (I've read, but...), like: do I have to do anything before I post my contribution and such. I'm posting on the competition thread regardless, again, correct me if I do something wrong. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Oh, and mine is the Sacrificial.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2007-12-18 at 04:26 AM.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Dwarf in the Playground

Is it obligatory to post here if you've entered a beastie in the competition?

Mine's the Phaighthmeam. See if you can figure out what the name means.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Banned

Ok, everyone should have now gotten a message from me. If you haven't be sure to let me know. The contest ends at midnight tonight!

Do I have to do anything before I post my contribution and such.
    Nope, you just post it and we'll vote on it. Those only partially done though aren't accepted for voting though, so everyone needs to make sure they have it completed in full by the voting date.

Is it obligatory to post here if you've entered a beastie in the competition?
    Naw, folks here just like to jabber

10. - Top - End - #580

Man, I nearly botched this; not only did I accidentally copy over the updated version I'd produced from the separate thread I made for the oculans and have to recreate it as best I could by memory, but I only noticed that it was midnight Eastern standard time about ten minutes before the deadline...I was planning on one more hour. Fortunately, I got all the final adjustments made (I think, anyhow).

11. - Top - End - #581
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quite frankly, I see the Soul Hound as diametrically opposed to the general outlook of Asmodeous, which is to say, patient. He knows that all mortals must sooner or later come to him, and sees no particular need to hurry things along.

The Soul Hound is created by priests who serve Asmodeus to speed the collection of souls. After all, why wait for the mortal to die when you can kill him? Ah, the joys of Faustian bargains.

The Priests don't live forever and are the ones using Soul Hounds. Not Asmodeus. =)

12. - Top - End - #582
    Orc in the Playground

Does "fly under their own power" exclude lighter-than-air drifters, or other creatures that inhabit the sky without, strictly speaking, flying?
    Last edited by belboz; 2008-01-01 at 07:49 PM.
    My latest homebrew: Gastrus

13. - Top - End - #583
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by belboz View Post
    Does "fly under their own power" exclude lighter-than-air drifters, or other creatures that inhabit the sky without, strictly speaking, flying?
    As long as they aren't using spells, powers, symbionts or items to fly it counts as their own power.

So if they had overland flight or whatnot 3 times per day they do not count as being able to fly under their own power.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    As long as they aren't using spells, powers, symbionts or items to fly it counts as their own power.

So if they had overland flight or whatnot 3 times per day they do not count as being able to fly under their own power.
    So if they had a (Su) ability that granted flight 24/7/365 it is ok?

15. - Top - End - #585

At that point, aren't you just splitting hairs? If it grants it constantly, how is that different from a creature's natural, normal abilities?

16. - Top - End - #586
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Magnor Criol View Post
    At that point, aren't you just splitting hairs? If it grants it constantly, how is that different from a creature's natural, normal abilities?
    Probably. But if being able to use overland flight 24/7/365 doesn't work...the only possible entry I have has no non-supernatural method of propulsion.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Titan in the Playground

Ok... a CR 24 creature with an ability that allows Reflex for half at a DC 15... somthing is wrong with this picture...

EDIT: THIS IS A MARKER FOR THE APPROXIMATE START OF " FLIGHTS OF FANCY ".
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-06-22 at 10:51 AM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Ok... a CR 24 creature with an ability that allows Reflex for half at a DC 15... somthing is wrong with this picture...
    It was a typing error. No really, it was. ¬_¬
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

19. - Top - End - #589
    Pixie in the Playground

Well... first homebrew up for the competition. Be gentle eh?

20. - Top - End - #590
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Excellence View Post
    The name's a FF VII reference, right?
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

21. - Top - End - #591
    Pixie in the Playground

Kind of silly, I know. But yeah

22. - Top - End - #592
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RandomFellow View Post
    Probably. But if being able to use overland flight 24/7/365 doesn't work...the only possible entry I have has no non-supernatural method of propulsion.
    I'm going to have to say no. However, why not just give it buoyancy like a Beholder or somesuch? I had a swarm of magical creatures that were magnetically lifted into the air as well that wasn't supernatural.

Can't do anything like that?

23. - Top - End - #593
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'm going to have to say no. However, why not just give it buoyancy like a Beholder or somesuch? I had a swarm of magical creatures that were magnetically lifted into the air as well that wasn't supernatural.

Can't do anything like that?
    Psionic creatures which use their abilities for propulsion wouldn't make sense if it was a different way. =0

No worries, like everything else, it was something I was going to make anyway.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Excellence View Post
    I LOL'd at the name and scared the new roommate.
    Last edited by littlechicory; 2008-01-04 at 06:06 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuincherguixe View Post
    ... that works really well, it's almost like...

Oh god! Chuck Norris is Cthulhu! It all makes sense now. Everything is meaningless! Only in death can we escape!

*hangs self*

25. - Top - End - #595
    Titan in the Playground

Initial thoughts on the Cloud of Strife:
    I consider expanding the area its Bringer of Strife ability effects beneath it. To a larger area than its actual size... a 20'x20' area means that it is going to have to stay moving if it wants to cause much problem... OTOH with a DC 21 and people having to make a new save every time it moves away and then back over them that might be balanced... I would consider granting 24 hour immunity to anyone who makes their save... there should also be rules for Dispel Magic and/or Remove Curse getting rid of it... as it stands the only good counters to it are Calm Emotions (which doesn't last very long), and Mind Blank (which is high level).

It MIGHT be a good idea to put some crunch to back up its sensory abilities. As it is you it can't even locate particular individuals, either visually (since it doesn't have an eagle's vision, and is at altitudes that Eagles couldn't even reach), or by there emotions (it only can sense CONCENTRATIONS of strife by the fluff and this is explained in more detail in the crunch). As it is it can't single out targets well enough to use its emotion influencing SLA's.

Ideas to consider:
    -Give it x100 (or there abouts) power vision. IE it can see at 5000' as well as a human could at 50'.
    - Allow it to use Clairaudiance/Clairvoyance at will in the area directly beneath it.
    - Give higher intellegence, and/or some big racial bonuses to Sense Motive, the better to manipulate people and situations.
    - Give it a varient of Detect Thoughts (call it Detect Emotions) that it can use like its other SLA's (IE at will and counting anywhere under it as the point of origin for determining range). It only detects emotional states, and perhaps who they are directed towards.

Minor note: Is the altitude range give above the GROUND, or above SEA LEVEL? The second would make more sense from a meterological perspective, but the first would keep it a threat even to mountain top fortresses (since it would still be out of range of most attacks).

As it stands now the arcanist casting Overland Flight on himself or characters with a carpet of flying are the only way to get up within range to attack this thing. That will take a while, and the arcanist will have to keep dodging around to avoid the thing (Control Weather to keep the skies clear of all the NORMAL clouds so the arcanist can see it to stay away from the danger zone under it would be key) so it doesn't just spam confusion on them (assuming it realizes they are a threat). That said, one Protection From Elements (Electricity) cast at the right time, a Protection from Evil (for the bonus against spells cast by evil creatures) cast right after that, and a magical weapon (for the rounds when the arcanist is forced to attack physically by the Confusion effect he might eventually fail his save against when he starts to close, Ghost Touch being even better even if the character isn't proficient with it) and this thing is probably an easy fight. The rest of the characters on the ground have a more interesting job keeping the carnage to a minimum... Rogues and Monks get to do subdual damage, Fighters and Barbarians wrestling people to the ground... Clerics throwing "Calm Emotions" around.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RandomFellow View Post
    Psionic creatures which use their abilities for propulsion wouldn't make sense if it was a different way. =0

No worries, like everything else, it was something I was going to make anyway.
    Ok, here is my final ruling. If the creature can fly under its own power, it is in. This includes Su abilities, but not spells or spell-like abilities.

So wings, jets, buoyancy, anti-gravity, levitation, what have you, is in.

But being able to cast overland flight does not count.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2008-01-04 at 07:21 PM.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ok, here is my final ruling. If the creature can fly under its own power, it is in. This includes Su abilities, but not spells or spell-like abilities.

So wings, jets, buoyancy, anti-gravity, levitation, what have you, is in.

But being able to cast overland flight does not count.
    Okey Dokey. I'll toss it up then before the deadline. =)

28. - Top - End - #598
    Ogre in the Playground

This is an interesting topic, and I think it deserves a new approach for me,, thus I have posted the Heliotoad! Your everyday, ordinary flying frog. Just an interesting animal to spice things up and it would work great as a common animal in the elemental plane of air!

29. - Top - End - #599
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Just Posted Vilapi, bat-winged, bloodsucking...fey.

Felt I should stretch my design-legs, so I thought about creature types I feel are under-used. This basicaly grew from the simple idea of a human-sized fey that flies. I chose bat-wings because I thought that it would be a nice fake-out for players who try to use dismissal on what they think is a demon. Unfortunately, the result feels a little fan-servicy; just another attractive female-shaped monster, but hey, it might be funny to have players get knocked out by flying bat ladies and wake up the next morning in a tree with fang marks on their kneck and a few missing constitution points. can be easily made more dangerous/evil by upping their dietary requirement, in keeping with a more dark, evil portrayal of the fair folk that I personaly enjoy.

I kept them hard-to-hit but physicaly frail, with a butload of spells and abilities, as fey should be.

My colors are Blue/Green. I value versitality, knowledge, evolution, and the nautral world. I have a deep fascination with living things, and a natural talent for adaptation. At my best, I am intuitive and adaptive. At my worst, I am isolated and unsympathetic. My symbol is the twisted tree, and my enemy is Red/Black.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Bugbear in the Playground

This is my first (posted) homebrew. I started working on it and lost track of time, hence the 2AM post.
    I thought of it as a hybrid Ravid/Purple Worm, but I didn't want to make it a malicious creature. As it is I think of it more like a lazy giant eagle; something that would only really be seen when it came to feed on whatever it found tasty.
    I think it might be a little over CR'd, but I felt that the tactics it uses could be overly dangerous to a unprepared party. I'll need to playtest it and see how it goes.

Let me go ahead and say that I like the Roc Golem, particularly the internal habitat.