New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 46 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Banned

Default Re: GITP Monster Competition Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tataraus View Post
    Oh man The rules seemed like as long as it wasn't already stated out before it was ok. But then wouldn't terracotta warriors break that rule as well? I mean all that is described about their abilities is: "They can drive people mad, kill children and cause miscarriages but they also guard their villages." The book is philosophical about a Vetala posing questions to a prince as the prince tries to capture it. The personality is well developed, but that's about it. As for the haiku thing, I can go ahead and whip something up.
    Meh, just keep it in. Would get really annoying having to rule every single entry by if it is 'original enough'. However, it is encouraged, that folks make up a creature completely from their own heads.

XenoGeno and I were thinking about working together on one project in the new contest. Is this allowed?
    No, lets just keep to the one entry per person rule (as opposed to half an entry)

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Meh, just keep it in. Would get really annoying having to rule every single entry by if it is 'original enough'. However, it is encouraged, that folks make up a creature completely from their own heads.
    Thanks! It's something I've always wanted to stat out, but never got around to it. I'll try to keep my other contest entries much more original.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alright. Shame, but I understand why not.

Also, and I'm sure this has probably been brought up before, but wouldn't a Borda-count system be more applicable for this type of contest instead of simply plurality?

4. - Top - End - #634
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've added an entry. I don't know if I have to post it here before, or talk about it, but I'm ready to edit it or delete it if needed. Reply to me here for suggestions and opinions.

Characters played:
    Koros (Nation of the Dead) < - adopt this psicopatic as your avatar!!!
    Bones (Beginner's Dungeon Crawl)

don't look here!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

I warned you. Now you have to go read it.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Titan in the Playground

Caracol: Posting in the entry thread first thing is the way people generally do it actually. Editing generally continues afterward.

First let me say that your entry is very on theme, and you seem to me to have a good chance if you can clean up a few minor issues.

1.) Your grammar is in need of double checking in many places. If you need specifics just ask and I am fairly sure someone would be willing to help.
    2.) It would APPEAR to me that you got the Air and Earth attacks switched. Also, I am not ENTIRELY sure that the use of Dexterity as a bonus to damage is appropriate even in the case of an incorporal creature wield what is in many regards a ghost-touch weapon. Strength should either be something reasonable that only applies because of the special nature of its weapons or a '-'. Strength 1 does not make sense.
    3.) Do they HAVE to change aspects every 1d4 rounds, or is it just that once they change aspects they have to wait 1d4 rounds before they have the OPTION to do so again? (Like a dragon's breathweapon).
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

6. - Top - End - #636

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Caracol: Posting in the entry thread first thing is the way people generally do it actually. Editing generally continues afterward.

First let me say that your entry is very on theme, and you seem to me to have a good chance if you can clean up a few minor issues.

1.) Your grammar is in need of double checking in many places. If you need specifics just ask and I am fairly sure someone would be willing to help.
    2.) It would APPEAR to me that you got the Air and Earth attacks switched. Also, I am not ENTIRELY sure that the use of Dexterity as a bonus to damage is appropriate even in the case of an incorporal creature wield what is in many regards a ghost-touch weapon. Strength should either be something reasonable that only applies because of the special nature of its weapons or a '-'. Strength 1 does not make sense.
    3.) Do they HAVE to change aspects every 1d4 rounds, or is it just that once they change aspects they have to wait 1d4 rounds before they have the OPTION to do so again? (Like a dragon's breathweapon).
    Thanks to your opinion.

1) I know that my grammar sucks, but I'm not a native speaker (I'm Italian), so I'm doing the best I can. Just specify me where it's wrong, and I'll fix it (Learning Time!!!).
    2) As strange that it would seem, I wanted to make the Air Aspect use a melee weapon and the Earth Aspect use a bow. This is because, in the Book of Five Rings the Air book is specifically dedicated to sword techniques, while the Earth book is more like an introduction, and I wanted to add a ranged attack anyway.
    As for applying the Dex, I remebered that for what regards incorporeal creatures it's used also to determine the damage, but now that I'm checking it in the MM doesn't seem so. But it doesn't seem to say what to use istead too.
    Help needed: does anybody know? Otherwise, I'll add a reasonable Str bonus, although I don't like the idea of a ghost with Strenght.
    3)Good question. Their tactics is basically adapting to the opponent that damaged in the prior turn, or remain in the Aspect that is good against the opponent choosed to be focused on. If they want to beat the mage down, they would stay in Earth or Void Aspect, or they will change every turn possible depending on who attacked them for last.
    But, I realize that they could actually stay in an Aspect forever, and this doesn't match well with the concept. Maybe I will make it like that they have to shift, tell me wich one of this options do you prefer.
    Last edited by Caracol; 2008-02-03 at 03:07 PM.

Characters played:

don't look here!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #637
    Titan in the Playground

Also, I would consider giving the Gorin No Oni Good (or at least Medium) BAB, which would give it a second attack at -5 each round. (Deciding whether to give the Fire aspect Improved Two-Weapon Fighting would be a tricky decision in terms of considering how that would interact with the special ability that does 3d6 fire damage). Also, you listed the BAB as +5 on the main stat-block and +4 everywhere else.

More when and if it occurs to me.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

8. - Top - End - #638

Also, I would consider giving the Gorin No Oni Good (or at least Medium) BAB, which would give it a second attack at -5 each round. (Deciding whether to give the Fire aspect Improved Two-Weapon Fighting would be a tricky decision in terms of considering how that would interact with the special ability that does 3d6 fire damage).
    I used the undead BAB (+1 every two levels), I don't want change this. Consider that they use incorporeal weapons, so they hit very easily. Two attacks would make them too powerful, and consider that they can make two attack just shifting to the proper Aspect.

Also, you listed the BAB as +5 on the main stat-block and +4 everywhere else.
    Excuse me, where? I can't see it or I don't understand it.

Anyway, I fixed the grammar somewhere. Dear god, I made typos everywhere.

Characters played:

don't look here!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #639
    Titan in the Playground

MY previous message was entered before I saw YOUR message-before last so don't worry about the fact that I didn't address any grammar issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Caracol View Post
    Thanks to your opinion.
    1) I know that my grammar sucks, but I'm not a native speaker (I'm Italian), so I'm doing the best I can. Just specify me where it's wrong, and I'll fix it (Learning Time!!!).
    Ah, thought that English not being your first language was likely to be the cause there... No problem, I will try to chime in with corrections as I have time and energy. My grammar is not the best either sometimes... my personal excuse is that I think in a very different style from the way words work.

3)Good question. Their tactics is basically adapting to the opponent that damaged in the prior turn, or remain in the Aspect that is good against the opponent choosed to be focused on. If they want to beat the mage down, they would stay in Earth or Void Aspect, or they will change every turn possible depending on who attacked them for last.
    But, I realize that they could actually stay in an Aspect forever, and this doesn't match well with the concept. Maybe I will make it like that they have to shift, tell me which one of these options do you prefer.
    (Spelling/grammar corrections underlined above since you say you look forward to learning.)
    Hmmm... I would say that FORCING them to shift goes against the concept of seeking true mastery usually. Selecting the right tool for the job is part of that, and seeking perfection is more important than seeking challenge especially since they fight a LOT. Perhaps just some fluff saying that if it seems like another form could be EQUALLY good in the exact tactical situation they find themselves in that round, then they will change to it.

Also, for something that could be the result of a mere Master of the Five Rings style, or a Grand Master (or whatever you want to call various degrees of skill), and also something whose whole GOAL in existence is to improve itself, I would give them a large amount of advancement potential rather than none at all... size should remain unchanged as they advance almost certainly. Of course the irony or even frustration of NOT being able to improve their skills could be a nice touch if you really want to go that way, but if you do I would mention such specifically in the fluff.

Also, like a lot of undead, I really feel that these would be BEST as a template. Unfortunately those aren't allowed in the contest, but maybe after the contest is over you or someone else could do that.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2008-02-03 at 03:44 PM.
    Extended Signature

10. - Top - End - #640
    Titan in the Playground

I used the undead BAB (+1 every two levels), I don't want change this. Consider that they use incorporeal weapons, so they hit very easily. Two attacks would make them too powerful, and consider that they can make two attack just shifting to the proper Aspect.
    Good points. Note that I think the to-hit bonuses should be the same for both weapons in the Fire form if you go by the rules.

Excuse me, where? I can't see it or I don't understand it.
    Err... never mind... figment of my imagination or something...

Anyway, I fixed the grammar somewhere. Dear god, I made typos everywhere.
    I often do that... my initial posts are often full of typos so I can break through my hesitation and post SOMETHING, then I go back and edit a lot for fluff, crunch, AND spelling and grammar.
    Extended Signature

11. - Top - End - #641

Edited Strenght: now is -.
    Edited Phantasmal Weapon: now the damage depends from Dexterity. If this is not appropriate or a proper rule exists, tell me.

Good points. Note that I think the to-hit bonuses should be the same for both weapons in the Fire form if you go by the rules.
    Fixed. Before you ask: wakizashi is a light weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei
    Also, for something that could be the result of a mere Master of the Five Rings style, or a Grand Master (or whatever you want to call various degrees of skill), and also something whose whole GOAL in existence is to improve itself, I would give them a large amount of advancement potential rather than none at all... size should remain unchanged as they advance almost certainly. Of course the irony or even frustration of NOT being able to improve their skills could be a nice touch if you really want to go that way, but if you do I would mention such specifically in the fluff.
    I like this idea. A LOT. I think I'll add it.
    Giving an advancement progression is a good think, I onesty didn't think of that. What I'm undecided about is the CR: is 8 good?
    Right now, I'm not thinking about this as a template. But if anybody would like this to be done, I can give a try.

Characters played:

don't look here!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #642

I just took a look to the Raisuden. I really like it!!!

Characters played:

don't look here!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #643
    Titan in the Playground

Is Intellegence for the Fire form really supposed to be 1? Looks like a typo to me.

Also, I was aware that a wakizashi is a light weapon... don't recognize some of the other weapons they use... Also, I would consider giving the void form some sort of attack it can do for the other round or two it might need before it can use the touch again or change aspects. Even if it is an improved unarmed strike or something...
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2008-02-03 at 09:54 PM.
    Extended Signature

14. - Top - End - #644

Is Intellegence for the Fire form really supposed to be 1? Looks like a typo to me.
    Fixed.

Also, I was aware that a wakizashi is a light weapon... don't recognize some of the other weapons they use...

Naginata (1d12/19-20), a polearm similar to an halberd.

Tachi (2d6/19-20), a bigger two handed version of a katana.

Also, I would consider giving the void form some sort of attack it can do for the other round or two it might need before it can use the touch again or change aspects. Even if it is an improved unarmed strike or something...
    A regular bashing strike added.

Characters played:

don't look here!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #645
    Troll in the Playground

I just took a look to the Raisuden. I really like it!!!
    Thanks
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

16. - Top - End - #646
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm sure I'm not alone here, but I really have no idea how to calculate the CR of a creature. Otherwise I'd be up to my [BODY PART #401 NOT FOUND] in homebrewed critters. Should I put mine up without the CR and get some feedback on what it should be? Should I take a wild stab at it and then have people correct me? Should I do a third thing?

Not sure why I'm bothering, anyway. Raisuden is gonna take the gold and we all know it.
    Last edited by TheEscapist; 2008-02-04 at 08:40 AM. Reason: grammatical errors and OCD
    "Playing D&D is a lot like having a venereal disease. Whenever I date a girl, there's always going to be that point in our relationship where I have to be up front and tell her that I play Dungeons & Dragons. And that will definitely have a lasting impact on how/if our relationship progresses."

My Homebrewed Creations:
    The Eight Brothers, Herald of the End, Mherephess, Battle Master, Nemesis Paragon, Scholar's Blade, Weapons of the Big Folk

17. - Top - End - #647

The monster manual gives some guidelines to calculate the CR, but they are contradictory sometimes. I gave mine CR 8, but just because they have 8 HD. I don't know if I have to make it higher because of the Incorporeal subtype or the special abilities.
    Last edited by Caracol; 2008-02-04 at 09:16 AM.

Characters played:

don't look here!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #648
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheEscapist View Post
    Should I put mine up without the CR and get some feedback on what it should be? Should I take a wild stab at it and then have people correct me?
    Vorpal Tribble has guidelines up... they work halfway decently for straightforward bashing monsters I have heard... but really, only experience can help with getting it good without playtesting (and even then playtesting should be the gold standard).

The short version: None of us know what we are doing as far as CRs go either. But with multiple points of veiw we get as close as we can.
    Extended Signature

19. - Top - End - #649
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheEscapist View Post
    Not sure why I'm bothering, anyway. Raisuden is gonna take the gold and we all know it.
    I agree too. Let's skip to next month.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Titan in the Playground

Personally I think Caracol is much more embodying of the topic...
    Extended Signature

21. - Top - End - #651

Personally I think Caracol is much more embodying of the topic...
    Thanks, I appreciate that.
    But I want to see more participants!!! I love orient-flavoured monsters, I love homebrewd stuff, and so I'm looking foward to more entries.

Characters played:

don't look here!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #652
    Titan in the Playground

Mine will be forthcoming... although I MAY change my entry... (but if I do I will post my original one anyway, in a different thread).
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2008-02-04 at 08:37 PM.
    Extended Signature

23. - Top - End - #653
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm trying to balance the CR so it's not too high level, I ideally wanted a 4 or 5... The problem is, it wields 8 katanas and can rend with them... >_<
    "Playing D&D is a lot like having a venereal disease. Whenever I date a girl, there's always going to be that point in our relationship where I have to be up front and tell her that I play Dungeons & Dragons. And that will definitely have a lasting impact on how/if our relationship progresses."

My Homebrewed Creations:
    The Eight Brothers, Herald of the End, Mherephess, Battle Master, Nemesis Paragon, Scholar's Blade, Weapons of the Big Folk

24. - Top - End - #654
    Banned

Yeah, pretty much anything with 8 weapons and rending... is not likely going to be a CR 4-5 unless it is a smaller creature with correspondingly smaller weapons.

Anyways, I'll be going over all the entries soon. If anyone doesn't know the CR post it anyway as calculating CR's is part of the critiques I send out

25. - Top - End - #655
    Troll in the Playground

It's a shame I don't know anything about Asian or Oriental history or culture. Well, I know a bit about the Vietnam War, but I think a Viet Cong Swarm or Napalm Elemental might be in poor taste. No, wait, I take that back - the Napalm Elemental could be cool, but I don't really think it fits the theme.

If I can come up with something, I may try to get it in by the deadline.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-02-04 at 10:30 PM.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

26. - Top - End - #656
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Damn the restrictions! I want to do Totoro!

I'll submit something soonish sometime maybe.
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

27. - Top - End - #657
    Bugbear in the Playground

My first idea was a pair of gigantic chopsticks. I think I'm going to have to think harder.

28. - Top - End - #658

Quote Originally Posted by Kellus View Post
    My first idea was a pair of gigantic chopsticks. I think I'm going to have to think harder.
    Raisuden's nemesis.
    Last edited by Caracol; 2008-02-05 at 04:36 AM.

Characters played:

don't look here!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #659

This will be my first contribution to the GitP Monster thingy. I will be posting Yùndà (Large Construct [Fire, Water, Extraplanar), Yuèhǎitái (Large Plant [Air, Earth, Extraplanar]). If I get the chance, I'll also post Akashanya (Small Elemental [Positive, Extraplanar]).
    Last edited by Neek; 2008-02-05 at 04:55 AM.
    — Nicolaos of Aepternacos

30. - Top - End - #660
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Neek View Post
    This will be my first contribution to the GitP Monster thingy. I will be posting Yùndà (Large Construct [Fire, Water, Extraplanar), Yuèhǎitái (Large Plant [Air, Earth, Extraplanar]). If I get the chance, I'll also post Akashanya (Small Elemental [Positive, Extraplanar]).
    Keep in mind you may only submit one entry...
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2008-02-05 at 06:50 AM.