New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dysfunctional Rules IV- It's like a sandwich made of RAW failure!

So, as far as I can tell, by RAW, doing the nasty with a succubus only bestows one negative level. Unless it kisses you during the act, in which case that's one additional negative level per kiss as normal.

Not really dysfunctional, but rather odd.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2013-12-15 at 08:56 PM.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenix0 View Post
    You can't have infinite tentacles, you can just have one really big tentacle. Unless of course the form you are in has more than one tentacle, in that case you are limited to that many tentacles.
    But note there is nothing like any of the following:but, instead, however,unless. In short, nothing the says there is any contrast or mutual exclusivity in those two statements. So there's nothing stopping you from getting both benefits. Heck, you could arguably say that the rules are actually saying if you already have a tentacle, than any tentacles you grow will be bigger than normal. Of course, that wouldn't stack sizes, since having that already is binary (have/have not).

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ettin in the Playground

I've got one, as per the D20Srd
    Quote Originally Posted by D20srd
    You can create a scroll of any spell that you know. Scribing a scroll takes one day for each 1,000 gp in its base price. The base price of a scroll is its spell level × its caster level × 25 gp. To scribe a scroll, you must spend 1/25 of this base price in XP and use up raw materials costing one-half of this base price.
    However according to the definition of spells known in the glossary
    Quote Originally Posted by Glossary
    known spell: A spell that an arcane spellcaster has learned and
    can prepare. For wizards, knowing a spell means having it in their
    spellbooks. For sorcerers and bards, knowing a spell means having
    selected it when acquiring new spells as a benefit of level
    advancement.
    Therefore divine casters cannot by RAW scribe scrolls.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Colossus in the Playground

This is exactly why we don't listen to the glossary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

5. - Top - End - #785
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    I've got one, as per the D20Srd

However according to the definition of spells known in the glossary

Therefore divine casters cannot by RAW scribe scrolls.
    This is only marginally wierd for most divine spellcasters, they ask their god for that power, it makes sense they don't really "know" it. The archivist, however, is currently staring angrily from over here (while quietly outdoing the wizard at everything with less attention at it because it isn't core).

6. - Top - End - #786
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    This is only marginally wierd for most divine spellcasters, they ask their god for that power, it makes sense they don't really "know" it. The archivist, however, is currently staring angrily from over here (while quietly outdoing the wizard at everything with less attention at it because it isn't core).
    He can't outdo the Wizard If he can't learn any spells since there are no divine scrolls scribed. It's a pretty egregious error non-the-less, it also makes the Spontaneous divine casters really confusing, since they have "spells known" and are therefore Arcane Casters by the glossary definition, yet they cast "Divine Spells"
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hmm, not sure this is a dysfunction per se, but certainly a lack of clarity...

Has anyone brought up Magic Jar and similar abilities combined with spell buffs? When you switch bodies, do buffs move with your soul or stick with the body? I mean, obviously the Magic Jar effect sticks with the body, but what about Enlarge, Shield, Shapechange, etc?

8. - Top - End - #788

Quote Originally Posted by Drachasor View Post
    Hmm, not sure this is a dysfunction per se, but certainly a lack of clarity...

Has anyone brought up Magic Jar and similar abilities combined with spell buffs? When you switch bodies, do buffs move with your soul or stick with the body? I mean, obviously the Magic Jar effect sticks with the body, but what about Enlarge, Shield, Shapechange, etc?
    Physical buffs quite obviously stick with the original target - you don't get to take Enlarge with you into the jar. Mental-only effects might just be another story...
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

9. - Top - End - #789
    Ettin in the Playground

I surely hope, I'm reading this wrong:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    If you get more than one attack per round because your base attack bonus is high enough, because you fight with two weapons or a double weapon or for some special reason you must use a full-round action to get your additional attacks.
    Does that mean you also get your additional attacks on other Full Round Actions (that do not explicitly exclude extra attacks like Charge) like Withdraw, Run, or Use Skill?

10. - Top - End - #790
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    I surely hope, I'm reading this wrong:Does that mean you also get your additional attacks on other Full Round Actions (that do not explicitly exclude extra attacks like Charge) like Withdraw, Run, or Use Skill?
    A -> B does not imply B -> A.

So no.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Ettin in the Playground

The problem is that A is "a full round action" and not "the Full Attack action"

If I use the withdraw action (which is a full round action) I have satisfied "you must use a full-round action to get your additional attacks"

12. - Top - End - #792
    Titan in the Playground

If I use the withdraw action (which is a full round action) I have satisfied "you must use a full-round action to get your additional attacks"
    ...except the Withdraw action is a specially-defined full-round action that does not include attacks in its function.

13. - Top - End - #793
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

No, A is "multiple attacks" and B is "a full round action."

If you want multiple attacks, THEN you must use a full-round action.
    That does not mean anytime you use a full-round action you get multiple attacks.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Titan in the Playground

Here is a list of Full round actions. One of these is called Full attack. This is the full round action you need to get your multiple attacks.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

15. - Top - End - #795
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Here is a list of Full round actions. One of these is called Full attack. This is the full round action you need to get your multiple attacks.
    I agree that this is the intention, but the section I quoted says a full round action and not the full round action called Full attack.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

I agree that this is the intention, but the section I quoted says a full round action and not the full round action called Full attack.
    Yes, but it does not say or imply that any full round action will do the job. In fact there is only one that will; the full attack.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Barbarian in the Playground

Post Re: Dysfunctional Rules IV- It's like a sandwich made of RAW failure!

What about a Full round action to attack that is not a full attack?
    Doesn't Warhulk and a few other classes have alternate attack actions that require A "full round"?

@ work but could we dig up a full SRD quote on the text for better context?

18. - Top - End - #798
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Menzath View Post
    What about a Full round action to attack that is not a full attack?
    Doesn't Warhulk and a few other classes have alternate attack actions that require A "full round"?

@ work but could we dig up a full SRD quote on the text for better context?
    Again, it is like saying "To move your speed, you will need to spend a move action." That doesn't mean any move action gets you to move your speed. Plenty don't.

A->B does not imply B->A. The full-round action that allows multiple attacks still must SAY that it allows multiple attacks. Being a full round action is NECESSARY, but not SUFFICIENT.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Troll in the Playground

Ok people, something i've noticed when looking for dysfunctions or at weirdly worded rules. After a while everything looks like a dysfunction because it isn't written in perfect legalese that explains what you can't do. It only explains what you can do.

Sometimes you need to come up for air and breathe.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

20. - Top - End - #800
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Heck with that, I'm diving down again!

Originally Posted by srd
    Woodland Stride (Ex)
    Starting at 2nd level, a druid may move through any sort of undergrowth (such as natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain) at her normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment.
    Originally Posted by srd
    Dying
    A dying character is unconscious and near death. She has -1 to -9 current hit points. A dying character can take no actions and is unconscious. At the end of each round (starting with the round in which the character dropped below 0 hit points), the character rolls d% to see whether she becomes stable. She has a 10% chance to become stable. If she does not, she loses 1 hit point. If a dying character reaches -10 hit points, she is dead.
    So according to this, druids that are currently dying can still move through undergrowth at their normal speed. Keep in mind, I KNOW this is inaccurate. I need help figuring out WHY.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legendxp View Post

So according to this, druids that are currently dying can still move through undergrowth at their normal speed. Keep in mind, I KNOW this is inaccurate. I need help figuring out WHY.
    That first is the general rule for druids. The second is specifically for dying druids. Specific trumps general.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Titan in the Playground

I agree that the section you quoted is unspecific about the action you need to take, but I read it as being a euphemism for Full Attack. In other words it is to general. Now there may be other full round actions which allow this: they're just not in the SRD, if anywhere.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

23. - Top - End - #803
    Ettin in the Playground

Goblin
    Goblins speak Goblin; those with Intelligence scores of 12 or higher also speak Common.
    OK? Oh wait...
    Automatic Languages: Common, Goblin. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Elven, Giant, Gnoll, Orc.
    AFAIK, you get all automatic languages even with Int 3

Attack of Rat Swarm cause Disease (Filth fever). Bite of single Rat is not. Apparently, it's a lab rat.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Titan in the Playground

Quoth Sith_Happens:

So, as far as I can tell, by RAW, doing the nasty with a succubus only bestows one negative level. Unless it kisses you during the act, in which case that's one additional negative level per kiss as normal.
    Check the Monster Manual; I suspect that this is one of the cases where the SRD omits detail. In 3.0, at least, a succubus inflicted a negative level with a kiss or any other "act of passion", and I doubt that they changed that in 3.5
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

25. - Top - End - #805

Quote Originally Posted by Legendxp View Post

The druid's nonlethal damage (0 or higher) exceeds his HP total (-1 or lower), he's unconscious, and can't act.

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Goblin
    OK? Oh wait... AFAIK, you get all automatic languages even with Int 3

Attack of Rat Swarm cause Disease (Filth fever). Bite of single Rat is not. Apparently, it's a lab rat.
    Nobody said that the rat swarm bites you when it attacks.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

26. - Top - End - #806
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Note that the only goblins getting Common for free are the PCs. I think that actually does make a difference.

27. - Top - End - #807
    Banned

On Full-Attacks: That term is nothing more than a shorthand phrase referring to spending a full-round action to attack and make iterative attacks. Actions are resources - in order to make extra attacks, you need to spend a Full Round action. It's like buying a gumball - if you want to buy a gumball, you need to spend a quarter. You don't get a gumball any time you spend a quarter, and spending The Gumball Quarter to get a gumball is just stupid.

Goblin
    Goblin PCs start with Common. Goblin NPCs don't. Likewise, nonhuman NPCs don't start with common known, though all Player Characters of those races do.

There's a difference between getting a bite on one part of your body (Also, Salivia is at least mildly antiseptic), and being overwhelmed with rats crawling through and over every inch and orifice of your body, clawing and scratching and biting and rubbing their fur and skin in every wound and orifice and stuff in between on your body.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The druid's nonlethal damage (0 or higher) exceeds his HP total (-1 or lower), he's unconscious, and can't act.
    The problem is that you cannot find out whether the dying or unconscious condition is the exception to the woodland stride ability or the other way around. Unfortunately the conditions are more general, as they apply to all characters, than the woodland stride ability, which only applies to druids with two or more class levels.

@Scow2: Unfortunately the gum ball quarter is required. Let's use another analogy: "To unlock a door you must use a key." Off course only the right key should work, but as written any key will do.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2013-12-17 at 01:44 AM.

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ettin in the Playground

@Scow2: Unfortunately the gum ball quarter is required. Let's use another analogy: "To unlock a door you must use a key." Off course only the right key should work, but as written any key will do.
    According to the Zelda universe, this is exactly how keys work.

Doesn't "additional attacks" imply that these attacks are, well, in addition to your regular attack? As in, without any attacks at all, there is nothing to add attacks to?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

30. - Top - End - #810
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    Doesn't "additional attacks" imply that these attacks are, well, in addition to your regular attack? As in, without any attacks at all, there is nothing to add attacks to?
    Can't you add anything to 0? That is a serious deviation from normal maths, such a deviation must be explicitly stated (as weird D&D multiplication). Can you quote such a rule?