New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Dwarfism and Giantism (flaws)

Dwarvism (flaw)
    Requisites: 1st level only
    Fluff: you are smaller than most and have the strength and speed to match
    Benefit: -2 str, reduce speed as though you were wearing medium armor, real medium armor further reduces speed

Giantism (flaw)
    Requisites: first level only
    Fluff: you are larger than most, however this has an effect on your agility and strength
    Benefit: powerfull build, -4 str, -4 dex, -2 con, +10 feet speed

Is this balanced, do you like them, comments?
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dwarfism and Giantism (flaws)

This could become terribly confusing if anyone ever works with Dwarven or Giant heritage feats.
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm curious who would be willing to take a -4 str and dex penalty, and a -2 con penalty, just to get a increase in speed, and the powerful build. What good is being considered larger for the benifits if you have such a big negative to strength? I understand the dex penalty...but a -4 to str?
    Member of the Belkar Fanclub

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeWizard View Post
    Jade Phoenix Mages have the coolest capstone ability ever. They explode. Low on health? explode. Surrounded? expolde. Outsiders? explode. Explode? explode. Come back a few rounds later with all your hp.

R.I.P. Gary Gygax

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Would it be to simplified to just increase or decrease size category by one?
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah, but that's not really a flaw. I mean, there are spells that do that.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Why on earth does someone who suffers from gigantism suffer a -4 penalty to strength? Even the -4 penalty to con seems a bit iffy. As a general rule, people who suffer from gigantism are stronger and tougher, not weaker, they're just bigger and more prone to heart failure and the like.

Some things are better left in the darkest places...
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Steam

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Ars Magica handles Dwarfism as a flaw and Giantism (Giant-blooded) as a virtue (feat).

Dwarfism makes it so that your size is -2 (default human is 0, things like horses are +2, a -2 size means you're, like, 2 1/2 feet tall) and you are wounded in increments of 3 instead of the default 5.

Giant-blooded is the exact opposite. Your size becomes +2 and you take wounds in increments of 7 instead of 5.

I think you should make Dwarfism a flaw and Giant-Blooded (or Giantism) a feat, both of which are exclusive and only can be taken at creation. I think that Dwarfism should decrease your size category by one and decrease your Constitution by 2.

Giant-Blooded should increase your size category and increase your Constitution by 2. However, that's a fairly kickass feat, so, it's up to you.

"True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

Villainous Monsters, providing a list of worthy opponents for use in any OGL game: monsters with PC levels

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dwarfism seems fine, Giantism is... more like a feat. Really, nothing like that should grant you powerful build and extra speed AND a feat. Actually, I think that even a feat should have a lot of prerequisites to grant powerful build.
    I used to do avatars on request, feel free to use them.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by heretic View Post
    Yeah, but that's not really a flaw. I mean, there are spells that do that.
    Well, I wasn't thinking flaw so much as trait. Drawbacks AND benefits. They wouldn't work to get you that extra feat, but have benefits of their own.

How balanced would it be as a trait, anyone? It seems being bigger is preferred over being smaller, since it's generally better combat-wise, and D&D is very combat-centred, but smaller has combat benefits as well.

Dwarfism (smaller):
    Benefits: increased AC, attack bonus, hide.
    Drawbacks: decreased speed, strength, reach (sometimes), unarmed/natural damage, grapple.

Giantism:
    Benefits: increased speed, strength, reach (sometimes), unarmed/natural damage, grapple.
    Drawbacks: decreased AC, attack bonus, hide.

According to the MM, bigger creatures also tend to have lower dex and higher con. Am I forgetting anything (and is there a comprehensive table of sizing information anywhere? They seem to be split up throughout the 3 core books)?
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum