New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 233839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1503
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Crusader Kings 2 Thread III: Keeping Up With The Karlings

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    So, I'm feeling like trying out CK II again. I stopped playing shortly before Horse Lords dropped- Are there any new mechanics I need to be aware of? Also, is seduction still a problem to the point I might want to download a mod to curtail the AI, or did Paradox tone it down enough times?
    Well, reportedly you can turn off AI seduction focus from the main menu. I still don't have the game, so I cannot say for certain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Well, reportedly you can turn off AI seduction focus from the main menu. I still don't have the game, so I cannot say for certain.
    Yep, you can turn it off. The new options menu gives you a lot of choices for customization, I really like it.
    ithilanor on Steam.

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

So, I'm feeling like trying out CK II again. I stopped playing shortly before Horse Lords dropped- Are there any new mechanics I need to be aware of? Also, is seduction still a problem to the point I might want to download a mod to curtail the AI, or did Paradox tone it down enough times?
    Yeah you can turn AI seduction off now along with a lot of other options.

As to mechanic changes, Conclave had some big ones with the way vassals works (and education as well) and the most recent DLC introduces much more interesting disease mecahnics, as well as hopsitals and prosperity for counties.

4. - Top - End - #1414

More specifically:

Conclave improves internal politics. Powerful vassals get unhappy if they're not on your council, and your councilmembers get to vote on various items you do (war, revocation, etc), depending on how powerful the council is in your kingdom. They vote based on several 'personalities': Malcontent (will oppose the liege), Pragmatic (path of least resistance to strengthen realm and self), Zealot (religion at the forefront, holy wars and banish infidels), Loyalist (will support the liege), and Glory Hound (Go on! Take on the Karling blob! It'll be glorious!). It'll definitely change how you play. Used to be the only reasons to keep vassals happy was a) higher taxes, b) higher levies, and c), avoid rebellion. Now you need to keep certain interests aligned with yours as well, adding a whole new exciting level to the politics!
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Titan in the Playground

Conclave is very devisive, note. (It also changed the education system.)

A fair number of people consider it a difficulty spike, especially for larger empires.

If you're an inveterate map-painted (like me!) it might not be to your tastes. (It's the only expansion I haven't bought.) Definitely read-up on the wiki on it before you consider it.

Reaper's Due, though, the latest DLC with all the diseases, has been very well recieved and they have now fixed most of the bugs that arose.

6. - Top - End - #1416

It is definitely a difficulty spike. Map-painters don't like that, as it makes it that much harder to paint map. RPers like me love it, and I can't imagine playing without it now. YMMV.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Colossus in the Playground

Sometimes I love the weird **** this game is throwing at you. I'm a hundred years into a viking game (Charlemagne start, count of Aland, now King of Finland), and Eastern Europe is being steamrolled by the Muslim Hungarian Kingdom of Prussia.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Finally got a new computer, which allows me to contemplate doing an AAR. After outlining the prologue and first chapter, I'm not sure it'll be as fun as I thought it would; it seems like I'll spend a lot more time editing screenshots and writing than actually playing. Those of you who have done AARs, is there anything I can do to speed up my workflow? Should I keep working on this, or is writing AARs just not for me?
    ithilanor on Steam.

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Ettin in the Playground

Disclaimer: I haven't done any Paradox AARs, only a couple LPs in RTS games.

Now, with the disclaimer out of the way...

When I did my LPs, I found that I got faster with practice. As I got in a groove of how to talk about what the screenshots were showing and how to show what the text was talking about, it started to flow together more naturally. It still took a good bit of time and patience, mind you, but repeating the process over and over as the LPs went on led me to a sort of "flow" that made things easier.

As for editing the screenshots, how much editing are you doing? Screenshots don't have to be perfect or anything, and there's something to be said for the consistency that the images get when they aren't edited quite so thoroughly. On a related note, one thing I did was take a TON of screenshots - in my SC2 LP, for every screenshot I posted, there's probably 5-10 that went into the recycle bin. I found it easier to have several starting points to choose from before editing a picture, rather than only taking one picture and trying to force that to work, but YMMV.

In the end though, if you don't enjoy doing an AAR, then you don't have to do an AAR. That sort of thing isn't for everybody, and there's no shame in wanting just to pick up and play. You do an AAR because you enjoy doing an AAR
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

10. - Top - End - #1420

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    Finally got a new computer, which allows me to contemplate doing an AAR. After outlining the prologue and first chapter, I'm not sure it'll be as fun as I thought it would; it seems like I'll spend a lot more time editing screenshots and writing than actually playing. Those of you who have done AARs, is there anything I can do to speed up my workflow? Should I keep working on this, or is writing AARs just not for me?
    The fastest way to crop screenshots is not any editor. Just use the snip tool on Windows or Ctrl+Shift+whatever ridiculous 3-key combo it is on OSX when you have the screenshot open. And voila!
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

11. - Top - End - #1421

DruidGuy

People don't like Conclave?

It does kind of fit the time period. They weren't so much noted for meritocracy back then - appointing a lowborn peasant over the most powerful vassal in the realm? Yeah, not likely to happen, but the players were doing it all the time.

It isn't that hard to manage vassals though. If a few years on the council saves you a civil war, even if they only have half the value on another man, then it is worth it. After all, given the state of the game, they are liable to die before long from one of the many diseases going around. And they can't cause trouble if they are married to your family - its what spare daughters and sisters are for. Failing that, there is bribery, assassination or just send them off to Constantinople to spy. If they are bad enough they'll be back before long missing body parts, if not dead. Its like assassination by proxy and you can't get blamed :)

AARs can be hard. It is why you see a lot of them get abandoned before long. I learned the hard way you don't have to document everything - not every birth, death and marriage needs recording. Not every war either. Just go with the ones that fit the narrative best.

I hadn't noticed it in my Makuria campaign (but I should have), but Sanaa has to be one of the best duchies in game. Six counties, all of them coastal, and three of them with Silk Road links. 27 holdings at start. Aden is the pick of it all - six holdings and on the silk road. In my current Jewish campaign, its only 923 and I'm still fairly low tech level (2 in most things but for military organisation, construction and legal), but I'm rolling it cash thanks mainly to Sanaa. I own Nubia, Abyssinia, Aswan, Sanaa and Oman and my monthly income is around 65 gold already. Aden just triggered the event that give it its seventh holding. Oman is in the hands of a vassal merchant republic, which throws money my way. The Abbassids recently disappeared, one half going Shia and the other in a decandance revolt. Even though both are stronger than me, if they look at me, I can throw mercenaries plus my own not insubstantial forces at them for a long time thanks to cash reserves - the two east African companies plus the Adenian one I founded which is much stronger. Of course they'd rather fight each other and the ERE. I could possibly have pushed to Jerusalem by now but the past two rulers have been focused on internal building and not external aggression.

12. - Top - End - #1422

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    People don't like Conclave?

It does kind of fit the time period. They weren't so much noted for meritocracy back then - appointing a lowborn peasant over the most powerful vassal in the realm? Yeah, not likely to happen, but the players were doing it all the time.
    Conclave does make the council pretty stroppy and obstructive, so I can see why people don't like it (also some don't like the education changes)

13. - Top - End - #1423

My main problem with Conclave is the change to the education system. It's seriously unbalanced, opaque and unsatisfyingly difficult to control. Herr Spellcheck seems to thing unsatisfyingly is not a word. How odd.

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Conclave does make the council pretty stroppy and obstructive, so I can see why people don't like it (also some don't like the education changes)
    Let's not forget those fun moments where you need to give away excess titles to stop your vassals from getting upset because you have too much territory, but the council will not let you give territory to any vassal (and if you give it away anyway, your vassals get upset because you defied the council). Those are the best.
    Last edited by TheTeaMustFlow; 2016-10-18 at 09:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

14. - Top - End - #1424

Oh yeah.

Chancellor Count Vassalian: "King Playerman! You are unlawfully holding too much territory and depriving your vassals! Give some out now!"
    King Playerman: "Very well. Count Vassalian, I am making you Duke of Vassalia."
    Chancellor Vassalian: "How dare you! The council does not approve of this! You can't just make anyone a duke!"

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    Yep, you can turn it off. The new options menu gives you a lot of choices for customization, I really like it.
    How do you access this new options menu? Or do I need one of the new DLCs to access it?

EDIT: Oh, you can scroll down on the menu that pops up when you start a new game. Didn't notice that when I tried until I googled and saw a screenshot.
    Last edited by Squark; 2016-10-19 at 01:20 PM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

16. - Top - End - #1426

DruidGuy

Ah, I've never had that problem with my councils but I can see that could be a problem. That is what calling in favours are for I guess :) (Or murder and tyranny).

The Jewish Semien game is going well - just had a Emperor who ruled for 65 years, dying in his 80s. Thought he was never going die given he was 1-handed, 1-legged, a drunkard and stressed. And had a pet cat. Elsewhere the Ummayads are going ridiculously strong. Still 0% decadance and rampaging through France, which has been badly fragmented since Francia fell. The most unusual thing is going on over in India, which I've never seen before. Hinduism has taken over it entirely, except for a small pocket on Lanka. Not only that, they've have been pushing back against the Muslims, taking over Afghanistan, Baluchistan and Khiva.

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Disclaimer: I haven't done any Paradox AARs, only a couple LPs in RTS games.

Now, with the disclaimer out of the way...

When I did my LPs, I found that I got faster with practice. As I got in a groove of how to talk about what the screenshots were showing and how to show what the text was talking about, it started to flow together more naturally. It still took a good bit of time and patience, mind you, but repeating the process over and over as the LPs went on led me to a sort of "flow" that made things easier.

As for editing the screenshots, how much editing are you doing? Screenshots don't have to be perfect or anything, and there's something to be said for the consistency that the images get when they aren't edited quite so thoroughly. On a related note, one thing I did was take a TON of screenshots - in my SC2 LP, for every screenshot I posted, there's probably 5-10 that went into the recycle bin. I found it easier to have several starting points to choose from before editing a picture, rather than only taking one picture and trying to force that to work, but YMMV.

In the end though, if you don't enjoy doing an AAR, then you don't have to do an AAR. That sort of thing isn't for everybody, and there's no shame in wanting just to pick up and play. You do an AAR because you enjoy doing an AAR
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The fastest way to crop screenshots is not any editor. Just use the snip tool on Windows or Ctrl+Shift+whatever ridiculous 3-key combo it is on OSX when you have the screenshot open. And voila!
    Thanks for the advice. I'm not doing much editing, just cropping; using the snip tool would probably save some time. Not using every screenshot is probably the big timesaver, though; I took 30-odd screenshots in a year and a half game time, and was planning on using most of them. I think I'll work on it some more and try to get 4-5 posts written; then I'll evaluate if I'm enjoying myself enough to continue.
    ithilanor on Steam.

18. - Top - End - #1428

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Ah, I've never had that problem with my councils but I can see that could be a problem. That is what calling in favours are for I guess :) (Or murder and tyranny).

The Jewish Semien game is going well - just had a Emperor who ruled for 65 years, dying in his 80s. Thought he was never going die given he was 1-handed, 1-legged, a drunkard and stressed. And had a pet cat. Elsewhere the Ummayads are going ridiculously strong. Still 0% decadance and rampaging through France, which has been badly fragmented since Francia fell. The most unusual thing is going on over in India, which I've never seen before. Hinduism has taken over it entirely, except for a small pocket on Lanka. Not only that, they've have been pushing back against the Muslims, taking over Afghanistan, Baluchistan and Khiva.
    That's nothing. I have a Zunist Afghan Empire covering Khiva and Baluchistan. They are now allied to the Zoroastrians and seem to be pushing Islam out of Persia.

I didn't even see it happening at first, playing at the other end of the map. It's weird. Anyone ever played Zunists? What are they like?
    Last edited by Eldan; 2016-10-20 at 02:56 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1429

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Anyone ever played Zunists? What are they like?
    It's basically the same as any pagans, except you have the weird "judged by the sun" ritual you can use on prisoners. Oh, and you can't reform. It's a tricky start because you are weak, and are threatened by Muslim and Indian blobs, plus all the hordes that appear in the area.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Ettin in the Playground

It's basically the same as any pagans, except you have the weird "judged by the sun" ritual you can use on prisoners. Oh, and you can't reform. It's a tricky start because you are weak, and are threatened by Muslim and Indian blobs, plus all the hordes that appear in the area.
    I reformed the Church of Zun once though?

21. - Top - End - #1431

Quote Originally Posted by Malimar View Post
    I reformed the Church of Zun once though?
    It was more of a hyperbole - the holy sites are scattered, and held by enemy blobs.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Ettin in the Playground

It was more of a hyperbole - the holy sites are scattered, and held by enemy blobs.
    Oh, I see now.

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Troll in the Playground

Zunists are just another generic pagan group surrounded by enemies and with no control over their holy sites, which are all held by organized nations several times bigger than them. I'd argue they're in the worst position of all pagans, slightly edging out the West Africans because at least the WAs only have to expand north to reach holy sites.

It's a shame the non-Norse pagans have gotten so little attention really, but then it's the same with the non-Byzantine empires.

As is the two best pagans to play are the Norse, because they have the most flavor events are a really good starting position for early reformation and consolidation, and the Tengri because they're all normally Nomads, which is still really strong compared to the other government types.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

24. - Top - End - #1434

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    I'd argue they're in the worst position of all pagans
    Hey, at least they're not Hellenics.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Troll in the Playground

Hey, at least they're not Hellenics.
    It says a lot about Hellenics that I forgot they were a thing.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

26. - Top - End - #1436

Speaking of Norse, I just got my first immortal ruler. The son of Rurik, now king of Rus/Novgorod/Holmgardr, and pretty close to declaring the Empire of Holmgardr, after absorbing a second, neighboring Norse Kingdom that came up thanks to a prepared invasion and conquering Ruthenia. Got the Immortal event chain, he's now over 60, still looks twenty and has about 35 Martial. Sounds like a world conquest in the making, really. Though Norway did just become Christian, so that's interesting too.

27. - Top - End - #1437
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Aside from fabricating claims, is there any way for a Feudal Christian to gain CBs to declare war? I'd been playing as a Minor Irish noble to get a feel for the game again, but nothing was happening since the RNG wasn't feeling friendly, and then my only decent chancellor died. Failing that, what would you reccomend I try that would be a bit more expansion oriented?
    Last edited by Squark; 2016-10-20 at 05:56 PM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Ettin in the Playground

Aside from fabricating claims, is there any way for a Feudal Christian to gain CBs to declare war? I'd been playing as a Minor Irish noble to get a feel for the game again, but nothing was happening since the RNG wasn't feeling friendly, and then my only decent chancellor died.
    If you're super-friendly with the Pope -- or if he is your vassal -- you can ask him to grant you a claim.

Also, you can try inviting to your court people with claims to the lands you want, landing them with a barony or somesuch, and pressing their claims.
    Last edited by Malimar; 2016-10-20 at 05:57 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1439

DruidGuy

I've never seen the Zunists do well. In all my games they actually start to make a little progress only to get caught between the Islam-India divide and be over run by one side or the other. I do mean to play them at one point (along with many other starts).

30. - Top - End - #1440

DruidGuy

Had a bit of an odd event in my Semien campaign.

After a civil war for increased council power failed, I stripped the vassal king who had led it of his title. Problem is that most of his ducal vassals went independent in the process, not just from him but from the Empire. It was easy to re-vassalise them but doing so generated 25 threat, resulting in all of my neighbours joining a defensive pact against me despite this being an entirely internal matter that didn't threaten them at all.

Not sure threat should really work that way.