New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: OOTS #433 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by pimpnamedslinkback View Post
    I think AC is pretty much doomed. I mean they were already VASTLY outnumbered. And with the ability to reanimate them, that's TWICE the force they would originally have dealt with. This leads to a REALLY big disadvantage for the good guys. I'd say about 1:20 or possibly more! And, of course, one of the very few with an ability to take down undead easily is busy battling Xykon, which we still don't REALLY know if that's the real Xykon. There COULD still be another Xykon. I doubt it, but it's possible. Anyway, GO BELKAR XP.
    Not really. Unless they have at least half as many clerics as soldiers, the necromancers don't have enough time or spells/day to zombify every corpse.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

- Orange you sorry you decided to invade?

With a pun that bad, no wonder he's causing extra damage. Excellent work, Mr. Giant

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I really didn't get the orange pun. Probably because as an Englishman I can't drawl in the way you have to to make it work.

Still, duck, duck, goose both initially confused then amused me. Also good to see Argent being generally cooler than Miko's boring horse.
    I admit full culpability for Phyrnglsnyx

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rift_Wolf View Post
    I really didn't get the orange pun. Probably because as an Englishman I can't drawl in the way you have to to make it work.
    It derives from an american knock-knock joke, but all you really need to know is that in the joke 'orange' can be corrupted and stretched to sound like 'aren't', as in "Aren't you glad..."

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by okpokalypse View Post
    GOOSE!

Loved it.

Btw - Is Belkar's Blade poisoned? Kinda cool how the hobgob went all green and dead.
    He can attack only non-living (goose), due to his mark.
    He will be happier soon when the zombies come.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Not a Paladin View Post
    "Orange you sorry you decided to invade?" sounds like "Aren't you sorry you decided to invade?"
    I reckon it only sounds like that if you're American. I thought it was a fairly rubbish pun until I tried saying it like that. Problem with being a foreign reader, I guess.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Banned

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Zafuel View Post
    I reckon it only sounds like that if you're American. I thought it was a fairly rubbish pun until I tried saying it like that. Problem with being a foreign reader, I guess.
    It's still a fairly rubbish pun anyway.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Firbolg in the Playground

"we're the bad guys"

For some reason I can't help but think of this as a subtle jab at Erfworld.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Thumbs up Re: OOTS #433 - The Discussion Thread

Duck. Duck. Duck. (Just wtf[what the foot]is he doin'...?) GOOSE! (A-ha! Ha! Hahahahargh)

I had trouble with the "Orange" pun too, had to read it loud and take several attempts, but finally hit it home by taawkin' suumm kindr'ummericaan. A-ha! awranche, wydoncha, arencha. Mission accomplished. Knowing that it'd be some kind of fairly weak Elan pun helped.
    Last edited by Albion; 2007-03-31 at 05:10 AM.
    Proud member of the Vaarsuvius Fan Club.
    -Hey, V, how much do you know about spirits?
    -In order for one to enjoyably consume Aged Dwarven Brandy, possession of two livers is a necessity.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Not a Paladin View Post
    "Orange you sorry you decided to invade?" sounds like "Aren't you sorry you decided to invade?"
    Sorry, if this has been said, but I believe the pun is lame, namely as a more interesting conclusion can be made...

There's a cellphone company by the name of Orange, and (unless my memory is quite faulty) I remember their slogan when they first came to Denmark as being: "Aren't you glad you decided to change?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    And don't forget that a lack of skills needn't be a problem - in a pinch, BAB can substitute for a lot of skills! Diplomacy ("If you be friend, me no stab in face"), Hide ("If you no see, me no stab in face"), Move Silently ("If you no hear, me no stab in face"), Open Lock ("Me stab lock in face with adamantine dagger"), Heal ("Me stab you in face until you no dying anymore"), Climb ("Me stab rock face"), and so on!

11. - Top - End - #101

SolithKnightGuy

But that pun is terrible! I could think of better puns than that! Note the sig for proof!
    I admit full culpability for Phyrnglsnyx

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi View Post
    I wonder if kicking the ladder down have triggered Belkar's Mark of Justice.

Interesting thought. I think the question would be whether the ladders were within the city boundaries. Depends on whether the city extends beyond the walls, I suppose - but if not, pushing ladders over should be fine.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Well known American knock-knock joke:

"Knock knock"
    "Who's there?"
    "Banana"
    "Banana who?"
    "Knock knock"
    "Who's there?"
    "Banana"
    "Banana who?"
    "Knock knock"
    "Who's there?"
    "Orange."
    "Orange who?"
    "Orange you glad I didn't say banana?"

-----
    Out of body, back in five minutes

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Baalzebub View Post
    But the funniest?

Oh man... I knew I shouldn't have invested all my money in that goblin life insurance company...

Oh, yeah... the roaches are always good for a laugh..

15. - Top - End - #105
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Belkar can't do leathal dmg to any living thing in a city...

...so he kills dead things...

well, thats what i thought anyway :)

liked the last few comics
    only fools think they only have to fight my army oncE -thE necromanceR

favorites:
    "awww, maN! i lost twicE. i sucK.
    "evaN's spikeD tentacleS of forceD intrusioN!!!"

16. - Top - End - #106
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

But that pun is terrible! I could think of better puns than that! Note the sig for proof!

Of course it's terrible. Good jokes don't hurt half as much.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Pixie in the Playground

I have not read every post but aren't people forgeting something basic?

Using low level undead to attack a Paladin City? Paladin's having the ability to turn undead (Plus there probally a lot of Clerics too).

I am guessing quite a few undead would be "killed" by its use, and others would flee and only a few will be left to attack.

As also pointed out they will not be able to make that many undead as they wont be able to cast many spells per day.

I really doubt that creating a few zombies will cause much of a problem.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by meep View Post
    I'm a life actuary, and we've got an Actuarial Speculative Fiction Contest every so often -- I've been thinking of writing "Night of the Living Death Benefits"... about the disputes that arise when those insured die and become zombies, and the NAIC arguments over whether the insured can be considered dead if they're still up and walking around.

I'm sure it would end in new underwriting categories, and death certificates would require a proof of cremation.

What I'm saying is that Demon Roach shouldn't despair yet -- the regulators may be on his side.
    I work in insurance too, and the first thing I thought was that the roach may have made a good investment after all. "I'm sorry, but we only pay out when the insured is dead, and the insured is clearly undead."

My second thought was that investing in life insurance for an army of hobgobs marching into war was probably not a wise move.

My third thought was that most insurance policies exclude war losses.

My fourth thought was 'Perhaps monster policies have to include war in order to get any customers'.

Then my fifth thought was "bloody hell, it's the weekend! What am I doing spending so much time thinking about work?!"
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

the theif with no name seems to actually fit in wit the stick...

spin off party!
    hinjo, thief with no name, depressed ressurected wizard, some celric yet to be announced, and a miko trying to regain her paladinhood!

come on! that would rock.
    Join the bard defense league

20. - Top - End - #110
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't get Duck Duck Goose.
    Matthew Greet
    My purpose in life is to play games.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by warmachine View Post
    I don't get Duck Duck Goose.
    It's a game that kids play, where you get a large group of kids and sit them in a circle. One kid walks around the circle, tapping the kids as they go by. Every time they tap a kid, they say either "Duck" or "Goose". If they say Duck, nothing happens. If they say Goose, the kid sitting down has to get up and chase them; if they catch the first kid before that kid gets to the "Goose's" seat, then the first kid has to go around the circle again. If the first kid beats the "Goose" back to their seat, then the "Goose" has to do what the first kid did.

You can also make up your own rules to go along with this, but this is the most basic of the rules for the "Duck, Duck, Goose" game. It's a favourite of Cub scouts and Brownies everywhere. (along with Dodgeball and Burning Things)

22. - Top - End - #112

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Orchestration View Post
    I have not read every post but aren't people forgeting something basic?

Using low level undead to attack a Paladin City? Paladin's having the ability to turn undead (Plus there probally a lot of Clerics too).

I am guessing quite a few undead would be "killed" by its use, and others would flee and only a few will be left to attack.

As also pointed out they will not be able to make that many undead as they wont be able to cast many spells per day.

I really doubt that creating a few zombies will cause much of a problem.

This is a good point, but we must remember one thing: The newbie paladins are further behind the city wall, posted to protect the citizens in case of an overrun. If memory serves, novice paladins aren't that proficient at turning undead- it's what, they turn undead as a cleric half their level? I can't remember...

My point is, the higher level paladins- the ones more capable of turning undead- were all stationed to defend the tower and the Snarl's prison gem. They're not on the battlefield per se. Long story short, the zombies could cause a bit more trouble than you think.
    Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down.

Swordsman-ally to the Noble House of Kato

23. - Top - End - #113

MindFlayer

I wonder why the "ducks" don't attack Belkar. I mean I'd think he'd look look an easy target...

Either way, VERY fun comic this time. I really liked it!!!

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by vbushido View Post
    Well known American knock-knock joke:

"Knock knock"
    "Who's there?"
    "Banana"
    "Banana who?"
    "Knock knock"
    "Who's there?"
    "Banana"
    "Banana who?"
    "Knock knock"
    "Who's there?"
    "Orange."
    "Orange who?"
    "Orange you glad I didn't say banana?"

-----
    Out of body, back in five minutes
    Oh well, we Brits always have the "Aunt you glad pun" to make sense of one these rainy shores.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

I'm English and I go it right away. Perhaps this says something about my sense of humour...

Plus, I read the Beano.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonRonin View Post
    If memory serves, novice paladins aren't that proficient at turning undead- it's what, they turn undead as a cleric half their level? I can't remember...
    Paladins get Turn Undead at level 4, as turn as a cleric of their level -3. So while it's quite likely that the 4th level paladins (given Paladin charisma bias) will be able to turn the zombies (at 2HD) on average, it's only buying them a minute, as ten rounds later they'll be sent right back. Plus of course, turning the zombies on the walls is iffy, since thet have to be careful not to get to close (10' or less) or they'll break the effect.

In order to obiliterate them, said Paladin needs to have an effective cleric level of 4 (so 7th level). I'm not sure what the average level of folk in OotS generally is, but I'm guessing it's not generally that high.

A handful of level 4 clerics - which is not especially unlikely under the circumstances - though, could do some fairly serious damage - assuming 5 rank of Knowledge Religion and a 12 Cha (not unreasonable, evne for a low points-buy statted cleric), they are automatically turning and destroying even on a 1 (1 on dice +1 Cha +2 synergy = 4, which is Level -2 on the turning table). They be taking out about 6 Zombies (2D6+4+1) per attempt, of which they would be getting four or more per day; so that's a 24:0 casualty rate right there; half a dozen or so of those and you're starting to make a dent.

That said, while the clerics are turning, they're not healing, which is kind of the point. The zombies, as much as anything will provide more a drain to resources that an actual threat (at least until the resources start to wear out).
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2007-03-31 at 08:38 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

I know Elan is enjoying being halfway competent in battle, but isn't this one of the few occasions where he'd actually get more mileage out of his bard songs? Giving +1 to hit and damage for all of the low level fighters around him would be a significant advantage. Of course there's no surprise that he's not making the best tactical choice.

Favorite line this comic: "Good boy, Argent! Good boy!"

27. - Top - End - #117
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    You think he really wants to risk being rendered catatonic for the sake of a technicality? (Especially since HE would still be inside the walls, so it kind of depends whether the MoJ is talking about his targets or he himself when it says "inside the city limits"). I bet Belkar won't go nuts unless he's outside the walls--WAY outside the walls, like, 100 yards or more!
    Actually, I think it would be entierly in-character for Belkar (aka Mr "Lets set a tent on fire") to take that risk.

Especially if he was getting bored waiting for the zombies.

The fact that he hasn't tried to test that loophole probably means he just hasn't thought of it.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Just what I say:

..Many ripped Hobgoblins.
    OOOHH,redcloack rocks! And Belkar too!!
    The first Church of Giggles. Sig-tar by the Neoclassic

You Are A:

Chaotic Evil Elf Wizard (3rd Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 9
    Dexterity- 10
    Constitution- 9
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 17
    Charisma- 14

29. - Top - End - #119
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Go Argent, much beter Pika.....choose than that horse. Hinjo rocks. Get some Belkar get some.

ofc, once again the roach does the scene steal.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

I like the "Orange" pun since it seems to fit Elan's character. He's not the brightest bulb in the pack and he does seem to be a bit child-like, so to him that would fit perfectly.