New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Wall of China . . . for free?

Supernatural abilities, being inherently magical but not magic in and of themselves, do not function in an AMF.

The key difference between SU and SP abilities is that SU abilities are usually considered to be magical-albeit-natural (like a dragon's breath weapon), while SP abilities are really just a natural predication towards magical spells (like a gnome's spell-like abilities).

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by martyboy74 View Post
    Yes. My guess is that it uses magic to pull the rock out/create it, but not to maintain it, like conjuration.
    My thoughts exactly.

It could make an interesting villian, him in a huge AMF Lair (he doesn't add AMF until after he made it) and no magic, while keeping most TOB abilities.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

It could make an interesting villian, him in a huge AMF Lair (he doesn't add AMF until after he made it) and no magic, while keeping most TOB abilities.
    Actually, quite a few of the higher level ToB abilities are Su. Especially Shadow Hand (Five Shadow Creeping Ice Enervation Strike FTW!).

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually, quite a few of the higher level ToB abilities are Su. Especially Shadow Hand (Five Shadow Creeping Ice Enervation Strike FTW!).
    While keeping "most." Yes some TOB abilities are SU, some aren't. You as a villain who specializes in the non SU abilities will be far better prepared to fight in an AMF field than the players who are most likely used to their magic items and buffs for magic is so good that they would built their character around such things.

If you plan a battle correctly, and your opponent has not, the advantage is yours.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Galathir View Post
    I was just reading through ToB and was looking at the Deepstone Sentinel PrC. According to the text, he can use his Dragon's Tooth ability to create stone pillars, each occupying a 5 foot square. As each pillar only takes a standard action to make, he could make four and a half miles of stone wall in only eight hours. (5 feet/round x 10 rounds/minute x 60 minutes/hour x 8 hours/day / 5280 feet = 4.54 miles). The text says nothing about the duration of the pillar other than that you can dismiss it as a standard action. Would this work? If so, you could prepare some pretty formidable defenses if you had a few hours notice.
    I don't have the book on tap, and was a little unclear about a couple things.

I notice that you only mention that it fills a 5' square, and nothing about it's height... a 5' square is also 5' tall, is it not? A 5' cube is not that much of an obstacle, and by the time you have characters that can qualify for the class flying isn't too hard to come by.

Occupying a 5' square is not the same thing as filling it; a 3' diameter column would occupy a 5' square. Unless it's clearer in the actual description, I wouldn't interpret it the way that you have; it would make columns, not wall segments.

Of course, it's possible that the actual description is clearer than what you've presented... but if it's not, insisting on one interpretation over the other without is kind of silly, and I'd expect most GM's to go with what is least abusable.
    Last edited by Jayabalard; 2007-04-03 at 04:06 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderBrigade View Post
    Well, except that the pillars are solid unworked stone and will not "topple." By the RAW it's just as hard to break a 5' stone pillar as it is to break through a 5' thick stone wall.
    Does the spell description overtly state that the pillars are actually "anchored" to the ground by their lower ends extending a distance underground? Just because AFAIK pillars are not usually like that.
    "I had thought - I had been told - that a 'funny' thing is a thing of goodness. It isn't. Not ever is it funny to the person it happens to. Like that sheriff without his pants. The goodness is in the laughing. I grok it is a bravery... and a sharing... against pain and sorrow and defeat."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Premier View Post
    Does the spell description overtly state that the pillars are actually "anchored" to the ground by their lower ends extending a distance underground? Just because AFAIK pillars are not usually like that.
    It says something to the tune of: "You summon a column of earth from the ground." One would think that being part of the ground would make it rather sturdy.

8. - Top - End - #38

Well, if you take that literally, then it's a column of earth, not rock as suggested by previous posts. Quite a bit of difference, I daresay.
    "I had thought - I had been told - that a 'funny' thing is a thing of goodness. It isn't. Not ever is it funny to the person it happens to. Like that sheriff without his pants. The goodness is in the laughing. I grok it is a bravery... and a sharing... against pain and sorrow and defeat."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

I'm AFB, so I don't have the ability to quote directly, but as far as I recall, it actually states "stone."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

The pillar is lifted up out of the earth, so yeah, I'd imagine it's not going to be pushed over very easily, short of snapping it at it's base.

It says that the pillar can be 5 or 10 feet tall, and occupies a 5' square. It doesn't specifiy how big around it actually is, but I would say you could make it a 5x5 square and have it 10' tall and make a wall.

Something that just popped into my head...once you create a pillar, it's non-magical natural stone....in the ability it says that you can only create one of these from natural stone, so would you be able to create one of these on top of another to get a higher wall?
    Member of the Belkar Fanclub

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeWizard View Post
    Jade Phoenix Mages have the coolest capstone ability ever. They explode. Low on health? explode. Surrounded? expolde. Outsiders? explode. Explode? explode. Come back a few rounds later with all your hp.

R.I.P. Gary Gygax

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Black Mage View Post
    It says that the pillar can be 5 or 10 feet tall, and occupies a 5' square. It doesn't specifiy how big around it actually is, but I would say you could make it a 5x5 square and have it 10' tall and make a wall.
    Since it's not specified, there's really no reason to assume that rather than ruling the opposite, which to me seems the more likely choice for a GM, since that makes the ability not so abusable.

Column often implies a cylindrical or rounded shape that taper as they rise; all of the descriptions in the wikipedia article on columns mention cylinders. It also implies a single rising object with space around it, not a bunch of solid blocks

As a 5-10' wall, the great wall of china this is not (which ranges from 5-8 meters high, 16.4 to 26.2 feet).

12. - Top - End - #42

Well, okay, using this to protect your kingdom might not be the best idea. I think that was much more of an extreme-case proof-of-concept anyway. You'd use this to wall of short-term fortifications, camps etc, when you can easily double or triple the layers of pillars. Sure, a rogue or small monster could possibly squeeze through an array of pillars, but it'll defend against larger beasts or armies, which is the point really.
    Last edited by SpiderBrigade; 2007-04-04 at 09:04 AM.
    "'To know, to do, and to keep silent.' Crowley had the first two down pat."

13. - Top - End - #43

Griffon

Are you allowed to stand on the pillar as you're creating it?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jothki View Post
    Are you allowed to stand on the pillar as you're creating it?
    I'd say that you'd have to make a balance check, though the class may get some bonus or ability that handles that.

certainly if you did it under someone else they'd have a hard time keeping thier balance.

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by Jayabalard View Post
    Since it's not specified, there's really no reason to assume that rather than ruling the opposite, which to me seems the more likely choice for a GM, since that makes the ability not so abusable.

Column often implies a cylindrical or rounded shape that taper as they rise; all of the descriptions in the wikipedia article on columns mention cylinders. It also implies a single rising object with space around it, not a bunch of solid blocks

As a 5-10' wall, the great wall of china this is not (which ranges from 5-8 meters high, 16.4 to 26.2 feet).
    You can make .9 miles of it at 25' tall per day. Of course, this is only 5' thick. The real wall is actually about 16' thick. If made your wall 15' thick, then you could put out .3 miles of it per day. The wall is about 3,950 miles long. One person could build it in slightly under 36 years. Not bad, considering how long it took the chinese to make it.

I'd say that you'd have to make a balance check, though the class may get some bonus or ability that handles that.

certainly if you did it under someone else they'd have a hard time keeping thier balance.
    Don't forget Dwarves stabilty bonus.
    Last edited by martyboy74; 2007-04-04 at 09:27 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

You can make .9 miles of it at 25' tall per day. Of course, this is only 5' thick. The real wall is actually about 16' thick. If made your wall 15' thick, then you could put out .3 miles of it per day. The wall is about 3,950 miles long. One person could build it in slightly under 36 years. Not bad, considering how long it took the chinese to make it.

No, there's nothing that says that it's 5' thick, just that it occupies a 5' square... it might be 3' in diameter. As far as I'm aware, there's nothing that states that you can use this to create a perfectly square 5'x5x'5' cube.

It seems likely that each time you add another layer that there's an increasing chance of the upper layers would tumble off or that the whole thing would break and crumble, especially if the columns don't taper. That is, of course, a good portion of the reason why the ancient real world stone columns taper like they do.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

6 could do it in 6 years. 12 in 3. 24 in a year and a half.

So a crew of 24 could build this enormous wall in a year and a half.
    My sister has more ranks in Tumble then your level 13 rogue!

(Seriously. She's a gymnast.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Atreyu the Masked LLama View Post
    I'm not gonna pass up a 4 armed hug!
    STOCKS:
    Spoiler
    Show
    40 HNJO $240

Total cost: 240

Total left: 760
    Townies: Fualkner and Fellus

Edge Riders: A new RPG system in the making. We need more members, so click that link!

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by Black Mage View Post
    The pillar is lifted up out of the earth, so yeah, I'd imagine it's not going to be pushed over very easily, short of snapping it at it's base.

Something that just popped into my head...once you create a pillar, it's non-magical natural stone....in the ability it says that you can only create one of these from natural stone, so would you be able to create one of these on top of another to get a higher wall?
    What happens to the top 10' when you dimiss the bottom 10' though?

and more importantly, how can that be abused?
    Last edited by Latronis; 2007-04-04 at 10:11 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

Looking at the book, the description says that the areas around you are "buckled and steeply sloped". Also, Crashing Mountain Juggernaut refers to your fortress as a "temporary hill". To me, it looks like it raises your entire square up, and has the squares near as an improvised hillside. If you were to use the ability in a nearby square, they (in my opinion) would be connected.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's a reflex save to avoid being knocked prone if one of these is created under you.
    Member of the Belkar Fanclub

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeWizard View Post
    Jade Phoenix Mages have the coolest capstone ability ever. They explode. Low on health? explode. Surrounded? expolde. Outsiders? explode. Explode? explode. Come back a few rounds later with all your hp.

R.I.P. Gary Gygax

21. - Top - End - #51

Quote Originally Posted by Fako View Post
    Looking at the book, the description says that the areas around you are "buckled and steeply sloped". Also, Crashing Mountain Juggernaut refers to your fortress as a "temporary hill". To me, it looks like it raises your entire square up, and has the squares near as an improvised hillside. If you were to use the ability in a nearby square, they (in my opinion) would be connected.
    ...that's not the same ability, though. The pillars under discussion are from Dragon's Teeth ability, not the Fortress one.
    "'To know, to do, and to keep silent.' Crowley had the first two down pat."

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

that dwarf sure would be stoned
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.