New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Most underrated video games of all time (ever)

I played a game on the PS2 called Shadow of Memories, where a guy turns up in a small German town and is murdered. He meets a being names Homunculus that has time travel powers to give him another chance, so the game is you, going back in time over and over to continue to prevent your own death my many methods.

I've never seen anyone ever talk about this game. The game said it had 5 ending on the box but I think I counted up to 8 endings.

For that it unlocked a bonus god mode where you (the character) already knew all the plot twists at the start and can resolve the entire game in a few small actions.
    Mannerism RPG An RPG in which your descriptions resolve your actions and sculpts your growth.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Planescape is critically acclaimed but those clods who buy games (yes, you) refused to be lured by its excellent gameplay and stunning writing. The fools!

Quote Originally Posted by 416365416c View Post
    Nethack. It's been around for 20 years now, and it's still a great game. It will run on practically any computer hardware, it's free software, it's got everything: challenge(maybe more than is needed), Liches, Leprechauns, a D&D basis and the extremely important OotS reference.

More seriously this game is so underrated because people these days care more about flashy graphics than challenging and thoughtful game play, and it has no corporation to make press releases. I'd say that it is as good as Baldurs Gate 2, not as good graphics, not as varied locales, smaller party, but so much more you can do (genociding Leprechauns comes to mind).
    Pffft complaining about flashy graphics detracting from gameplay is one thing but really... an ASCII game? Maybe the graphics fans have a point here
    The Omnians were a God-fearing people. They had a great deal to fear.
    -Terry Pratchett

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

I liked Beyond Good and Evil.

And Nethack does indeed, rule.
    Last edited by Sirelroka; 2007-05-01 at 08:42 AM.
    .......AnneArchy:
    .....Handmade by me

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

I would agree that Planescape Torment and Soul Reaver are good games, but the amount of support they are getting is undermining their underrated status.

And I admit that Nethack is the only roguelike I've ever played. I probably should try some other ones, as they are probably just as underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Om View Post
    Planescape is critically acclaimed but those clods who buy games (yes, you) refused to be lured by its excellent gameplay and stunning writing. The fools!

Pffft complaining about flashy graphics detracting from gameplay is one thing but really... an ASCII game? Maybe the graphics fans have a point here
    And you submitted an ASCII post, how is that supposed to be appealing ?

But ASCII is only one step above sitting at a table and having someone verbally describe the in-game world to you. And that's sure to be boring [/sarcasm]

If ASCII REALLY bothers you, feel free to write a unicode port
    GitP Forum User#21642 and Honorary Defender of the ASCII

This post was entirely written in binary. You are lucky that this site automatically translates it for you (usually).

Elan's Lawful Conscience advises that you "•Ek"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 416365416c View Post
    And you submitted an ASCII post, how is that supposed to be appealing ?

But ASCII is only one step above sitting at a table and having someone verbally describe the in-game world to you. And that's sure to be boring [/sarcasm]
    Heh. Yep, exactly.

If ASCII REALLY bothers you, feel free to write a unicode port
    [/quote]

Or just play Vulture's Eye, which is Nethack with a graphical interface. (But I tried it and meh... interfered with the gameplay... it's weird how your mind adapts to things... it was easier for me to recognize a "G" as a gnome than a little sprite of one.)

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeathQuaker View Post
    Or just play Vulture's Eye, which is Nethack with a graphical interface. (But I tried it and meh... interfered with the gameplay... it's weird how your mind adapts to things... it was easier for me to recognize a "G" as a gnome than a little sprite of one.)
    I hear ya.
    Look at some Dwarf Fortress screenshots with custom tilesets and you're sitting there looking at a tiny image of a dwarf going 'wtf kind of dwarf is that?!' rather than a nice color-coded smily face thing.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob_Gallagher View Post
    Kung Fu Chaos. Great 3D fighting game, tons of maps, characters, and alterable bits to keep it fresh.
    Quote Originally Posted by elliott20 View Post
    my friend used to own that game. I gotta be honest, it was really fun in the beginning. But after about 2 hours of playing the game, it got old really quick. (Especially since the fighting system itself is not very solid.)
    I have to agree with Elliott, it does get old after awhile, but I think that such a genre in fighting games has potential. (they should definitely have thrown out the non-fighting levels as well.) The game could have done better, but they should make more fighting games with altering terrain. (Levels like rainbow ride in SSBM are a step in this direction.)

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Clay fighter 63 1/3, for the N64. sure it was nothing more than a button masher,but its got some of the most hilarious junk you've ever seen!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Actually, PS: Torment had the worst gameplay of all the Infinity engine games. Yes, the combat was horrible, which is too bad, the game could have been much more successful.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elidyr View Post
    Actually, PS: Torment had the worst gameplay of all the Infinity engine games. Yes, the combat was horrible, which is too bad, the game could have been much more successful.
    Fortunately, combat isn't what the game is about.
    \"Ring is on, ring is off!\"

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Both Secret of Evermore and Beyond Good and Evil are great, underrated games. I loved them both.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

I don't really think P:T is underrated. Every cRPG fan will tell you that Torment is at least good.
    As for underrated games, I nominate Neverhood. It's excellent, hilarious game(from 1997) yet few people remember it. And I was dying from laughter while playing that.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

Planescape: Torment. Good ol' 2nd edition game. And I have a copy bwahaha
    Sneaky lying worshipper of Lord of the Seventh and proud member of the Baatezu Lovers Club! Why don't you join?

Lord Baalzebul avatar made by Shattersnap

14. - Top - End - #44

I submit the Tex Murphy games. I've played both "Pandora Directive" and "Overseer" (had "Under a Killing Moon", but couldn't get to work - long story), and was amazed at how awesome they were.
    Great characters.
    Great puzzles.
    Great plots.
    It was art. An interactive movie - and a good one to boot. Tex Murphy is awesomeness incarnate in a fedora-wearing 21st-century down on his luck private eye.
    Saga of Soul: Not your Typical Magical Girl Story.
    Where I Watch: My Little Pony

Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    I don't really think P:T is underrated. Every cRPG fan will tell you that Torment is at least good.
    The critics loved it, the RPG fans loved it, the forum goers loved it. Everybody loved Planescape except for the gaming public who ignored it in their droves. Despite being routinely hailed as the best cRPG ever, it was a complete and utter commercial flop.
    -Terry Pratchett

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

The critics loved it, the RPG fans loved it, the forum goers loved it. Everybody loved Planescape except for the gaming public who ignored it in their droves. Despite being routinely hailed as the best cRPG ever, it was a complete and utter commercial flop.
    Because Torment isn't flashy, has too many dialogues, too complicated plot and isn't on any console. That's why media and public ignored it. But that's preety common, so I wouldn't call Torment "underrated" because of that.
    Last edited by Morty; 2007-05-01 at 09:19 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    Because Torment isn't flashy, has too many dialogues, too complicated plot and isn't on any console. That's why media and public ignored it. But that's preety common, so I wouldn't call Torment "underrated" because of that.
    Again, the media loved Planescape. I remember reading the review in PC Zone, I probably still have that copy somewhere, and for months afterward the game featured in every writer's "What are you playing now box".

What this comes down to is a definition of "underrated". Is it critical acclaim or sales volume? In terms of the former Planescape is a veritable giant of the genre while in the latter its notable solely for being a flop. I hate to say it but Planescape is one of those rare instances where the reviewers got it right and the public wrong.
    -Terry Pratchett

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

I suggest that we define "underrated" as "very good but really unheard of" for this instance, because people here usually know about games like Planescape: Torment, and there are already threads for those kind of games. I believe it would be more interesting and helpful if "games that even 'hardcore gamers' might not know" are talked about instead.
    \"Ring is on, ring is off!\"

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Setra View Post
    Shadow Hearts
    Easily agreed.

I'd also say that the Xenosaga series is, to me, fairly underrated by the mainstream base, and slightly overrated among the hardcore base. It's one of my personal favorites, but I don't think it's the end all/be all I once did. I also feel Earthbound was extremely underrated.
    Assistant Executioneer of the Fanclub

Grunt Spearman of the Fanclub

20. - Top - End - #50

Chronicles of Riddick - Escape from Butcher Bay Xbox

Bought this for 10 bucks new, and it's easily the best FPS with a story ive ever played. Great atmosphere, and graphics, that rival any xbox game ive ever seen.

21. - Top - End - #51

Tribes 2....nuff said

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I'd like to mention Devil May Cry 3. I'm pretty sure it got very little attention because the second one totally sucked in comparison to the first.

Warcraft II also. What a fun old game...

Can't think of any others atm.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Has no one else heard of Phantom Crash? My god...I am the only one to have ever played it...Damn...It was such a good game too...

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by Dragor View Post
    Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. A hidden gem on the GameCube. Amongst the first 20 to be released, but none of my friends had even heard of it until I told them about it.

I will not rest until Eternal Darkness is granted the credit it deserves.
    Man, I don't know, I have to go with the detractors on this one. It seemed extremely dull and repetitive to me when I played it--going down identical corridors and fighting identical enemies over and over. Maybe it gets better as it goes on, but the beginning didn't impress me nearly enough to justify trying to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Woot Spitum View Post
    The Secret of Evermore. Too many people couldn't get over the fact that it wasn't Secret of Mana 2 to give it a chance. They missed out on a great game.
    I didn't finish it, since I only rented rather than owned it, but I agree that this was a fun game.

Quote Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
    Warcraft II also. What a fun old game...
    I don't see how Warcraft II can be considered underrated. When it came out, it was quite popular.
    HUMANS....... ARE....... SUPERIORRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But she was naked! And all... articulate!!

25. - Top - End - #55
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Magic & Mayhem"*, am I the only person who know of this game?

That aside, I think it's an awesome game even today. I really liked the gameplay of having "Places of Power" to recharge your mana and having the ability to summon various mythical critters. And having the grimoire record info on creatures, items, places and spells was a nice touch too.

*I'm referring to the first and good one at any rate.
    "Power is merely the faculty to act. It is a kinetic quantity few can grasp. The deaths of these fanatics costs me nothing. I can replace them. Because I never stop moving."

-Lucian~Fortuna Saga-

26. - Top - End - #56
    Firbolg in the Playground

Earthbound, by no doubt. I can't spend enough time promoting it to my friends, but now, it's become more difficult, with those PS3 and Xbox 360 and Wii, damn.

I wrote a review about that game in most forum I've joined. Haven't write one for this forum, though.
    Last edited by Fri; 2007-05-05 at 01:57 AM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

I add my weight to recommend Beyond Good and Evil.

I add Jet Force Gemini to the list of considerations.
    Last edited by Logic; 2007-05-05 at 02:14 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

The "No one lives forever" series, one of best ive played in a long time.
    Any man can serve his conutry, but it takes a hero to die to for it. R.I.P. Roy Greenhilt.

War does not determine who is right, only who is left. R.I.P. Miko Miyazaki.

Sniper of The Kazumi and Daigo Fanclub.

Signed Rich's Get Well Card.
    Song of Month: The Winds are singing Freedom
    Currently Playing: Bioshock

29. - Top - End - #59

Hostile Waters
    Clever plot with Dr. Who narrating (well, Tom Baker anyway). Graphics that still look good despite its age. No multiplayer or skirmish limited its replayability.

Giants
    The unintelligent and unoriginal drivel that fills our game shelves now is a highly deserved punishment for this game not selling well. You knew it was a good game because it had cockney aliens in it.

Startopia
    Lovingly crafted with the same care as Dungeon Keeper, with all the mandatory British irony included.

Evil Genius
    Same situation as Startopia, but with less aliens and more evil.

Planescape: Torment
    Pretty much summed up by almost every post in this thread.

Beyond Good and Evil
    Charming and clever adventure game cunningly disguised as a photo-'em-up.

The Dig
    Not the best, but still a nice 4 hour jaunt through point-and-click land.

Grim Fandango
    Simply the best adventure/puzzle game ever made.

Project: Nomads
    Fun, if strange title that never sold well because it wasn't formulaic enough for the public to really understand. For shame.

Anachronox
    Surrealist adventure game in a similar vein to Final Fantasy, but with more puzzles and less faux-epic.
    Last edited by The Evil Thing; 2007-05-05 at 02:27 PM.
    Skydiving as an activity does not in itself require a parachute.
    Skydiving as a hobby does.

People who take drugs are bad.
    Blasted customs agents.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

Independence War

A space combat sim where, unlike most games, you command a medium-sized warship- that, and full, ultra-realistic Newtonian physics. And a kickass storyline, and a pretty good sequel.