New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Post Starting a session with: Roll Initiative!

Heard this on the D&D podcast. A session starting with a fight should focus your group and draw attention away from pizza/books/teletubbies. Anyone got experiences with this?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Starting a session with: Roll Initiative!

what do you mean?
    http://s9.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=97391

On No Accounts Must the Above Link Be Clicked!

Best Avatar by Sampi!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

It's called in media res, (literally, "into the middle of things") and is a storytelling technique used to great effect in many movies. There's no reason for it not to work in a game.
    Last edited by Talya; 2007-06-16 at 08:39 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

It looks like it works but again, it depends on the players as many other things do. Perhaps if you slam your fist down on the table while you say that, it will work reliably.
    There is no good and evil. There is only more and less.
    - Khorn'Tal
    -----------------------------------------
    Kalar Eshanti

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Whether this is a good way to start a session really depends on how fast-paced you are able to make your combat. If there are a lot of PCs fighting a large number of monsters, having everyone wait for their turn will often result in the players discussing pizza/books/teletubbies.

In a system like Feng Shui, you should always start your sessions with combat, but in the sometimes slow-paced combat-system of D&D it really depends on the combat.
    OotSP :D
    Spoiler
    Show

My creations:
    Custom initiative system (shots)
    The Nameless [MitpII]
    D20 "total conversion" (will probably never be finished :P)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

As a player, I know nothing gets me more excited than the prospect of combat and the delicious, full-bodied taste of D&D brand 'summer fresh' XP, with a burst of experiential flavor.

In seriousness; for the majority of character types, combat is a chance to flaunt their powers, and for the majority of players, combat is a chance to flaunt their build.

So let em' have it at the beggining, in media res et. al., and see how it goes. Should go well, if I know anything, and I do.

7. - Top - End - #7

We just did this over on the PbP boards. I suppose it went ok, but there was a lack of coordination that nearly killed half the party.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Joe View Post
    We just did this over on the PbP boards. I suppose it went ok, but there was a lack of coordination that nearly killed half the party.
    PbP is notorious for that, though.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

I actually like starting some campaigns like that (after giving the backstory and the leadup to the situation of course).

Campaign beginnings are usually done really weakly and awkwardly (rare exceptions exist), and this lets the players start off on the right foot. Gives the characters some initial comradeship and something to talk about instead of "So Gaeleth....how bout this weather we're having. Really hope those goblins don't invade this year..."

Plus, combats at low levels tend to be quick and vicious, which is really good for getting everyone to focus on the game.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Games:
    PC: Dungeons and Dragons Online
    PS: Chrono Cross
    DS: Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney - Justice for All

Current Books:
    Not Currently Reading Anything

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Start with all characters participating in a festival, unknown to each other. Then start the invasion. People around them start dying, they'll most likely end up grouping up.
    A bard, eh? What's your saving throw against things that don't get a saving throw?
    "Mourn if you must, but mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don."
    "Trollocs coming! Up axes and clear the fields! Trollocs coming!"

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by RoboticSheeple View Post
    Paint the chromatic dragons.
    I no longer post here due to moderator bias.

11. - Top - End - #11

I started an Earthdawn campaign on the assumption that all the party members came in second place in various contests in a Unity Festival. The festival had many cultures participating, not all of which are openly friendly to one another. Since the winners of the contest were too valueable to their various cultures, they were kept as defenders. However, second place people were 'expendable' and thus put together in a show of unity. On the eve of the last day of the festival, all the winners were found dead in their tents except for the windling champion (windlings are like pixies). As it turned out, the medals were actually deadly scarab beetles that transformed and killed the owner. The medal was too big for the windling so he wasn't wearing it that night.

That left the group with a mystery to solve.

12. - Top - End - #12

Initiative

[roll]1d20+2[/roll]

i had a funeral for a murder and party hired to make sure no one trys to resurect him. Then spiders started to come out then the body gets stolen and the party had to get the body back before he got resurected
    Spoiler
    Show

sig by Bitzeralisis

Old Avatar by Simius

new Avatar by Qwernt

Tiger Paladin of HALO

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

I'm going to have to try this...
    Fanclubs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurellien View Post
    Here's a good one

"We are not working on 4th edition and we have no plans for it."
    -Every single person at WotC when asked
    You sir, win.

Robin of Whitehills, NG Human Druid IV, by me.

Carradoc of the Hall of Grond, CG Dwarf Berserker (complex build), by the illustrious Ceika.

14. - Top - End - #14

well, that depends on where you left over from last session
    No, seriously.

As for beginning the campaign like that, actually that depends on what the background of your characters are. Even if the first thing you do together is a combat scene the PCs did have some story before.
    Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books.
    E. G. Gygax

Lawful member of the Hinjo fanclub
    Treegrappler of the Durkon fanclub

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Or, roll some dice behind the GM screen, ignore the results, and grin.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

It would be funny to do that in a PbP thread if you are a DM. just roll dice without any labels of what they are for. Watch em sweat.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The thing is, its just so easy to set up this way. Party's in any kind of travelling? Random encounter. Party's sitting around in the inn? Have them harrassed (assuming they have some kind of actual consistant foe). Party's been flaunting their resources? Rogues try and steal it all (and have a least a decent chance of failing of course). Party's about to start travelling? Have a dragon attack the town. Waiting around in a town for some event x that happens y units of time later? Necromancer gets a little happy with the town grave yard. These can always be fairly simple and straightforward combat encounters that really help get people on the same page (especially considering how fast you can level and what new things characters become able to do).

The trick is finding a way of having fun with it. You know, a kid tries to grab a ball out of a storm drain in a big city and falls in. You hear screams. Turns out there is a beholder down there guarding something for somebody its made a deal with. There are umpteen bajillion things you could come up with. (I came up with all of these in like what... 5 min?)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Star Wars D6 used to recommend in media res as the way to begin each Adventure. I had pretty much had my fill of doing that by the end of my Star Wars tenure. It can be effective, but just like 'the Old Man in the Inn', it can be easily overused and become tiresome.

(In fact anything can become tiresome if repeated too often. In the last long term campaign I ran, my players used to complain about the weather a lot. "It never seems to be a sunny day around here").
    Last edited by Matthew; 2007-06-17 at 05:33 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    In the last long term campaign I ran, my players used to complain about the weather a lot.
    You know that you're feeding steriotypes now Matthew.

I honestly wouldn't be too keen on the idea of starting in such a direct manner, I like a feel for the other characters to know how mine would react to their actions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Bah, it's my hard northern upbringing (I was running this game in Surrey at the time). I just used the 'normal' weather patterns that I was used to...
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

21. - Top - End - #21

SolithKnightGuy

I like the idea of doing this, my players often have a hard time coming up with reasons for their characters to work together and I think this would work very well. I have planned a campaign this way before, but unfortunately it fell apart before I actually got to start it, so I can't give you any tips based on experience.
    DMs don't cheat, they just change the rules.

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't" -Margaret Thatcher

"Celebacy is no match for a natural 20!" -RandomNPC

"If you're so goth, where were YOU when we sacked Rome?" -Swordguy

22. - Top - End - #22

I found this fun especially for the years I ran Star Wars, In media res is intrinsic to the saga as all the movies start this way (Ep. III being the best IMO). I tried to make each session start with this technique. It also helped to get the steamventing slaughterlust out of the players early.
    Da Dominion: blog of belly laffs and a GM (Gamer Media) podcast. Sharp Humor for a Dull World.

23. - Top - End - #23

Devil

Hehehe I started one of these... But was more like to "Your characters awake in a Burning Tavern, DECIDE FAST!"

I am planing to do something like that again, last time the palyers went nuts, mostly because 2 o' em were still finishing the sheets. >:).

As Borat would say: "Niiice!"
    Paladin Review - A Class Balance by me
    Link

Originally Posted by Dyllan

Fawsto is definitely a lawyer. Nothing against what you said, Fawsto - but I've never read anything that sounded more like it came from a lawyer. :-)
    "Justice and liberty/You can't buy/But you don't get it free"
    - Bruce Dickinson, Born in 58

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As an avid roleplayer, I certainly don't mind starting with meeting my companions in the inn. Or on the streets....... that was the way our current campaign started. I developed a friendship with a fellow half-breed, forced one of them to come along because I was interested in his past, and invited the third along because he seemed like interesting (if not congenial) company. I do really like that approach, because it gives us a chance to become a team before having to display teamwork.

That said, there's nothing wrong with starting a session (or campaign) in media res. It can be an exciting plot device, if you don't annoy them by telling them that they've done X, Y, and Z since the last session. Actually, that might work for some military campaigns. (You recieved new orders, left for X battlefield......)
    Elina d'Lyrandar, Bard 4/Dragonmark Heir 4/Windwright Captain 5/Storm Sentry 2

"Arise, my children. Only the honor of a paladin is unbreakable...... even by death itself." -Soon, OOTS #449

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by de-trick View Post
    Initiative

[roll]1d20+2[/roll]

i had a funeral for a murder and party hired to make sure no one trys to resurect him. Then spiders started to come out then the body gets stolen and the party had to get the body back before he got resurected
    Sounds like an adventure from Dungeon. Hint: The body is in a slaughterhouse by the water. It's guarded by some undead, Four brothers that are Rogues/Fighter (all level 2), and the last boss is a lvl4 necromancer girl.
    Last edited by Grug; 2007-06-17 at 08:36 PM.
    "Four exclamation points; the true sign of a Mad Man." -Terry Pratchett

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

The sample episode in the Angel corebook started like this. There was just a little bit of boxed text describing a cult ritual, the the PCs kicking in the door and rolling initiative. It was great. I think part of why it worked was that it was a quick fight (interrupting the ritual led to the creation of the story's actual villain). Thus it thrust the characters into high adrenaline mode without delaying the plot-type stuff too long.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

I definatly think its important to start an encounter out with action of some kind, not neccesarly combat per say, but something exciting that will make the players pay attention. My rule is that a player should be making a character based roll once every 5 minutes or so. The quickest way to get a players attention is to make them use the skills and abilities that their characters whom they spent so long making possess.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Starting with initiative can be a good change of pace especially if sessions take a long time to get started because the players are not focused on the game.

My last session spend a lot of time in the introduction phase as the players took an eternity trying to clear up their book-keeping and inventory (several players kept non-corresponding entries of the same items) and sell their goods etc.

I could have used some heavy handed paraphrasing of events or even have sprung an encounter on them to speed things up, but they were having a good time making in and out of game jokes, so there was not any compelling reason to do it.

It can be a fun and exciting way to force the players to get serious fast but as has already been said; everything in moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Bah, it's my hard northern upbringing (I was running this game in Surrey at the time). I just used the 'normal' weather patterns that I was used to...
    Ahh priceless, I see images of the monk ending up as friar Tuck, the Dervish becomes a River Dancer as they figure out that the exotic and magical adventure takes place in good ol' Britain (during showers)
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Silvanos View Post
    Ahh priceless, I see images of the monk ending up as friar Tuck, the Dervish becomes a River Dancer as they figure out that the exotic and magical adventure takes place in good ol' Britain (during showers)

*Will now be playing a Morris Dancing Dervish the very next chance he gets*

[BBEG]"Whats that jingly noise comming from the barracks?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

30. - Top - End - #30

*Confiscates all handkerchiefs and bells* That will be enough of that, thank you.
    I am a poor man, some say I’m half crazy,
    son of the sword and the knife
    Lady I pledge you my sword and my honor,
    my heart and my pride and my life
    --Bella Doña, by Joe Bethancourt
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, poor Draknir. By Mephibosheth

Owl-atar by KingGolem
    You will be missed, dear 'stache...