New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 47 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dysfunctional Rules IX: 1d3 Dysfunctions from the 8th Level List

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Honestly, I don't even remember what dysfunction that post is referring to,
    An explorer's outfit "includes any extra items you might need". Perhaps a bit of a liberal interpretation, but it does actually say that.

I just object on principle. And I stand by my objection. This thread is NOT about wacky literal misinterpretations of the text.
    Oh, I absolutely get it. It's just that this time, the text actually says what Jormengand thinks it does. Broken clocks and all that.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, was that the rule in question? Yeah, I dunno, I haven't looked at the reference.
    You can find it here, specifically the Explorer's Outfit. I'd hyperlink it to the right spot on the page, but I don't know how to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I believe the outfit currently worn does not count for weight.
    Wait, where is that at? I've been putting my low-str characters in monk outfits to save a few pounds.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    Broken clocks and all that.
    Okay, one last time: can we not? Because I think you know how sick I am of this.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Okay, one last time: can we not? Because I think you know how sick I am of this.
    Hmm, I only belatedly realize how that might be reasonably read. I assure you, I did not intend to question your intelligence.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    You can find it here, specifically the Explorer's Outfit. I'd hyperlink it to the right spot on the page, but I don't know how to do that.
    when you want to link to a specific place in a long page like equipment or weapons or whatever on the srd, put a # and then the name of whatever you're looking for. if it's one word, all lowercase. if it's two, capitalize the second word and put no space. ignore apostrophes. for explorer's outfit, the link looks like this in its raw form:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/...xplorersOutfit
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Pine View Post
    You can sabotage (City of Stormreach 140) whips and other similar weapons with a DC 15 Disable Device check to make them deal lethal damage instead.
    I know that this was posted like two pages ago, but still, that's actually fantastic.

Doesn't get around the "can't affect anything with an armor bonus of +1 or higher" clause, unfortunately, which I initially thought it might. But I still love the concept.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    when you want to link to a specific place in a long page like equipment or weapons or whatever on the srd, put a # and then the name of whatever you're looking for. if it's one word, all lowercase. if it's two, capitalize the second word and put no space. ignore apostrophes. for explorer's outfit, the link looks like this in its raw form:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/...xplorersOutfit
    Much obliged. That was apparently the one thing I didn't try.
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

9. - Top - End - #429

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bekeleven View Post
    If you back up one level all of the links on the page are the anchor tags to the items.

You can also view source and look for the header IDs.
    ...Okay, two things I didn't try.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bekeleven View Post
    You can also view source and look for the header IDs.
    All the IDs follow the same format - the title text with every word capitalized, first letter lowercase, no spaces or punctuation. So it can be faster to just type it out sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

12. - Top - End - #432
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It's not so much a disfunctional rule from 3.5, as an incorrectly applied rule in a Pathfinder Adventure Path. In Evil, Evil, Revenge of the Evil (no, wait, that's just what I call it in my head. Hell's Vengeance is the name of it). So, in this adventure path there is a cleric. You can fight her. We wound up doing so because of, as far as I can tell, some accidental sequence breaking by investigating tax ledgers.

So, anyway, as the GM was trying to run the combat for us, all was going just fine until we got to the part where we were fighting her. Because the GM was unwilling to just give her a free BS exit just because that's what was written in the module when we were literally right on her tail and Faster than her on foot. So we got to fight this cleric, and he was looking for things for her to do on her turn and got to this little gem of her using channel energy to damage the players with positive energy.

Wait, What!? That's not how Channel Energy works, at least not against living people. And the GM double checked, and the cleric was good (check) and channels positive energy (check) but apparently lists the ability to channel positive energy to hurt living creatures. Somehow. With no traits or feats or anything explaining how this might be, the GM wound up going with some macing instead, but for a moment there the GM thought that clerics could channel positive energy to harm living people, and I thought we were fighting a demonic priest insurgent who had been tricking people into thinking they were a good priest when it was really, me, Dio.

Just to be clear, clerics in Pathfinder can Channel positive energy to heal living people, or harm undead if they are good. If Evil, they channel negative energy to harm the living or heal undead. If neutral, they get to pick or get stuck with one based on their god's alignment. The point being that no one gets a positive energy attack that hurts living people.

13. - Top - End - #433

BlackDragon

"But I was Positive I could hurt you with my Channeling!"

14. - Top - End - #434
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I know that this was posted like two pages ago, but still, that's actually fantastic.

Doesn't get around the "can't affect anything with an armor bonus of +1 or higher" clause, unfortunately, which I initially thought it might. But I still love the concept.
    You don't even need the sabotage. You can just use a whip to deal lethal damage by taking a -4 to attack.

So in relation to the original dysfunction a whip can deal only lethal SA damage but only after taking a -4 on the attack roll to turn the whip's normally nonlethal damage into lethal damage.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PallentisLunam View Post
    You don't even need the sabotage. You can just use a whip to deal lethal damage by taking a -4 to attack.

So in relation to the original dysfunction a whip can deal only lethal SA damage but only after taking a -4 on the attack roll to turn the whip's normally nonlethal damage into lethal damage.
    Makes perfect sense. Hold the small end, beat them with the handle.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sagetim View Post
    Wait, What!? That's not how Channel Energy works
    Check the rules to find where they say that positive energy can only heal living creatures and negative can only heal undead. If you can't find it then it obviously isn't against the rules. I vaguely recall some positive energy spell that could only harm things, I don't have the time right now to look for it.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    Check the rules to find where they say that positive energy can only heal living creatures and negative can only heal undead. If you can't find it then it obviously isn't against the rules. I vaguely recall some positive energy spell that could only harm things, I don't have the time right now to look for it.
    The rules in question are not how positive energy works but how the PF Cleric ability Channel Energy works. Still, not a dysfunction. Just writers who don't know the rules very well.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

The Swamp Linnorm can apparently 'cast arcane spells as a 17th-level druid'. Uh, what?
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

19. - Top - End - #439

20. - Top - End - #440

You cannot use Escape Artist to escape being tied up (bound) because being bound makes you helpless. Even the worst Use Rope check will succeed.

"A helpless character is paralyzed, held, bound, sleeping, unconscious, or otherwise completely at an opponent’s mercy. A helpless target is treated as having a Dexterity of 0 (–5 modifier)."

"Dexterity 0 means that the character cannot move at all. He stands motionless, rigid, and helpless."

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SirNibbles View Post
    You cannot use Escape Artist to escape being tied up (bound) because being bound makes you helpless. Even the worst Use Rope check will succeed.

"A helpless character is paralyzed, held, bound, sleeping, unconscious, or otherwise completely at an opponent’s mercy. A helpless target is treated as having a Dexterity of 0 (–5 modifier)."

"Dexterity 0 means that the character cannot move at all. He stands motionless, rigid, and helpless."
    Amusingly, the SRD doesn't actually say you need to be able to move, just that it takes 1 minute of work. Apparently being bound gives you restraint-specific telekinesis.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SirNibbles View Post

They get me on this one all the time in here. A character who is bound is only treated as having a Dexterity of 0 when they are targeted. Otherwise the term bound is only defined by common usage.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, that got a lot of discussion in one of the previous threads, IIRC.

24. - Top - End - #444

The Swamp Linnorm can apparently 'cast arcane spells as a 17th-level druid'. Uh, what?
    Can I sig this? It amuses me too much.
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    Can I sig this? It amuses me too much.
    Of course you can.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ettin in the Playground

Beast of Xvim template may be applied to unspecified creatures, but Animals are explicitly OK; it change alignment to Always Lawful Evil - despite the Animal's Int 2 (or 1)

Lolth-Touched Creature template changes alignment to Chaotic Evil, and can be applied to creatures with insufficient Int - actually, one of example creatures is Lolth-Touched Monstrous Spider (Int —)

Kobold with Deformity (obese) may weigh 123 lbs. at 2' 3" height, but (thanks to the Slight Build) still considered to be one size smaller when "squeezing" through a restrictive space

27. - Top - End - #447
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Beast of Xvim template may be applied to unspecified creatures, but Animals are explicitly OK; it change alignment to Always Lawful Evil - despite the Animal's Int 2 (or 1)

Lolth-Touched Creature template changes alignment to Chaotic Evil, and can be applied to creatures with insufficient Int - actually, one of example creatures is Lolth-Touched Monstrous Spider (Int —)
    The Skeleton and Zombie templates also change the alignment of the creature to Neutral Evil, despite setting Int- .

28. - Top - End - #448
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post

Kobold with Deformity (obese) may weigh 123 lbs. at 2' 3" height, but (thanks to the Slight Build) still considered to be one size smaller when "squeezing" through a restrictive space
    Dragons display many cat-like properties, and kobolds display many dragon-like properties. Clearly the ability to squeeze through ridiculously tight spaces is inherited from cats to dragons to kobolds.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flare'90 View Post
    The Skeleton and Zombie templates also change the alignment of the creature to Neutral Evil, despite setting Int- .
    Which I already mentioned as a dysphunction
    They were Neutral in 3.0
    If WotC wanted to make them affected by Smite Evil and similar things, then they should use Evil subtype, not alignment

30. - Top - End - #450
    Troll in the Playground

Well if acts can be evil and objects can be evil and places can be evil and creatures can be inherently evil regardless of their actual moral proclivities then why can't unintelligent creatures touched/created by evil be evil themselves?