New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1477
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Banned

Default Re: The LA-assignment thread II: Where The Em Dash Doesn't Exist

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Gary View Post
    can I sig this?
    If you like.

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Yes, but immunity to wizard and resistance to fighter kinda makes up for it.
    I wouldn't say immunity. There are plenty of no-SR spells. I do admit that forcing your opponent to rely on those spells is a major plus for you, though. Did you guys know that Miracle and Wish are SR:Yes?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yeah, but the vast majority of spells are SR: Yes. Especially the kind that ends higher level fights.
    Last edited by TotallyNotEvil; 2017-07-11 at 08:06 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyNotEvil View Post
    Yeah, but the vast majority of spells are SR: Yes.
    Which is why I said it's a major plus for the Rakshasa?

Does the Rakshasa have anything that either scales well or can't be easily replicated at higher levels? I think the answer is yes to both questions, so I guess a higher LA could be warrented considering that they're basically brick walls.

You'll have to invest plenty of resources to make sure you don't fall back in terms of offense, though. Staying alive is very important, true, but whether the Rakshasa can do much else should be considered.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Colossus in the Playground

SR scales with class level. Sorcerer casting scales with class level, as long as it's class levels in sorcerer. But that's about it - Change Shape sucks and the other stuff is flat bonuses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    SR scales with class level. Sorcerer casting scales with class level, as long as it's class levels in sorcerer. But that's about it - Change Shape sucks and the other stuff is flat bonuses.
    And honestly that DR is never going to be completely useless. It's good and piercing, not good and adamantine or anything like that, so that's pretty specific.

Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yes, but immunity to wizard and resistance to fighter kinda makes up for it.
    Would people stop saying this? It's not true.

The SR is very good, yes, and it's going to cramp the style of a lot of hostile casters, but they should all have plenty of options. Especially if the caster's intended to be a recurrent character, or getting information from Divinations or previously encountered opponents.

The DR is good, yes, but there's no Fast Healing or Regeneration. Any level 10+ primary martial who is shut down by DR 15/Good and Piercing isn't worth being called a primary martial. It's pretty much always useful, yes, but it's not worth additional LA by itself - it's value is largely overlapped by the rest of what the Rakshasa get.

The Rakshasa's defensive qualities are good, yes. It is in question as to whether or not they're worth being behind two spell levels, instead of just one, relative to a Sorcerer. That is, LA +2 or LA +3. And, half the time, the Rakshasa LA +2 is two spell levels behind a prepared caster, at LA +3, it'd be three spell levels behind a prepared caster half the time.
    I'm inclined towards +2 over +3, as I don't feel that the Rakshasa's defenses are really worth the extra spell level.
    Last edited by javcs; 2017-07-11 at 09:03 PM.
    No DM is ever truly out of tricks to mess with his/her players.
    No player is ever truly out of ways to surprise their DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by javcs View Post
    Would people stop saying this? It's not true.

The SR is very good, yes, and it's going to cramp the style of a lot of hostile casters, but they should all have plenty of options. Especially if the caster's intended to be a recurrent character, or getting information from Divinations or previously encountered opponents.
    Good point here.

The DR is good, yes, but there's no Fast Healing or Regeneration. Any level 10+ primary martial who is shut down by DR 15/Good and Magic isn't worth being called a primary martial. It's pretty much always useful, yes, but it's not worth additional LA by itself - it's value is largely overlapped by the rest of what the Rakshasa get.
    Nitpick: It's good and *piercing*, not magic.

The Rakshasa's defensive qualities are good, yes. It is in question as to whether or not they're worth being behind two spell levels, instead of just one, relative to a Sorcerer. That is, LA +2 or LA +3. And, half the time, the Rakshasa LA +2 is two spell levels behind a prepared caster, at LA +3, it'd be three spell levels behind a prepared caster half the time.
    I'm inclined towards +2 over +3, as I don't feel that the Rakshasa's defenses are really worth the extra spell level.
    Hmm, I see.

Extended sig here.

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Ogre in the Playground

This thread is about calculating the LA for players using these creatures. So unless your DM is in the habit of playing rocket tag, the inherent defenses that a Rakshasa has is gonna be just fine against a lot of enemies. They aren't so much immune to wizards, but they have a great head start. Scaling SR, all good saves with their HD and that big boost to ability scores is huge. I know that losing caster levels is sacrilege, but how many spells would an equivalent-level sorcerer have to spend in order to have all that I mentioned on top of +9 nat armor and DR 15? At all times?
    Last edited by Waker; 2017-07-11 at 09:52 PM.
    If you feel like quoting something that I have said, you have my permission to use it. Unless it makes me look stupid.
    Gaming Laws, Fallacies And More
    My Homebrew
    Feel free to browse and comment on any of my Homebrew. I enjoy feedback.
    Love my Avatar? Well, why not check out the comic that it came from?

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Titan in the Playground

Post Re: The LA-assignment thread II: Where The Em Dash Doesn't Exist

• Medium outsider (7RHD of the equally best kind); +2 Str, +4 Dex, +6 Con, +2 Int, +2 Wis, +6 Cha; 40 ft move; +9 natural AC; 3 natural attack. This is a pretty sweet chassis for just about anything (I'll try to avoid the whole being shoehorned into a specific lass because of racial casting discussion).
    • 7th level Sorcerer casting - great; at will detect thoughts - OK, but nothing to write home about; change shape to any humanoid - nice, but not earth shattering due to the type limitation; DR 15/good and piercing is always going to be relevant; SR 27 + class levels is pretty darn good.
    • 8 skill points/HD (x4 at 1HD) from a solid skill list. +4 racial bonus on Bluff and disguise, which can be further augmented with innate abilities.
    • Being a native outsider, you can be raised and resurrected as normal. You also get full MWP by type.

The obvious path is Sorcerer. Nuff said. Compared to a level 7 Sorcerer, you have better stats, better saves, better BAB and better skills. You also have very solid defenses. Barring ACF support, you are flat out better than an equivalent Sorcerer, by quite some distance. Also, your innate Sorcerer levels explicitly stack with Sorcerer for your familiar (something that not all creatures with innate casting get AFAIK). That means after your first level of Sorcerer, even your familiar is just as good.

If you PrC out after 1 level of Sorcerer you can be a pretty impressive gish, or skillmonkey caster (maybe Unseen Seer?).

Part of me says LA +4, but I think I'll vote LA +3.

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Ogre in the Playground

Not dying may not be flashy, but it is very useful. Practical immunity to other casters (not to mention most martial characters too) is worth the four levels of casting. Being able to cast 3rd-level spells that work is far more useful than being able to cast 5th-level ones which don't.
    Practically speaking, no it's not. Even if you make yourself utterly unkillable, it will barely help. Most enemies you encounter at this level are going to be intelligent. They're not going to sit there attacking the person immune to death. They'll go after the weak, easy to kill ones. The party is a chain, and only the defense of the weakest link truly matters. The only way for your high defenses to matter is if everyone else is already dead. In short, spell resistance does nothing if no one is casting spells at you.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Troll in the Playground

A LA+3 Rakshasa is consistently two spell levels behind a prepared caster (5ths to 3rds at ECL 10, 6ths to 4ths at 11-12, 7ths to 5ths at 13-14, and so on), never a full three.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Troll in the Playground

Just out of spite +2 LA for rakshassa
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I'm thinking an LA of low +4, mostly on the back of its +6 charisma, a normal LA 0 race can expect a +2 so that puts him 4 levels ahead of its spells potency.

His saves will be F + R +3 W -1 compared to a level 11 sorcerer.

If a sorcerer puts an 18 in his intelligence he will have 98 skill points, the Rakasha has 130 if he does so, and 80 if he puts an 8 in intelligence.

Rakasha has 4 higher AC vs a humanoid sorcerer who uses Alterself- I am assuming 7 is the highest available natural armor through alter self.

Rakasha has +3/4 to hit in melee/ranged over a sorcerer

Spell resistance 27 means at level 11 most casters will need to roll a 16 to affect it.

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lans View Post
    I'm thinking an LA of low +4, mostly on the back of its +6 charisma, a normal LA 0 race can expect a +2 so that puts him 4 levels ahead of its spells potency.

His saves will be F + R +3 W -1 compared to a level 11 sorcerer.

If a sorcerer puts an 18 in his intelligence he will have 98 skill points, the Rakasha has 130 if he does so, and 80 if he puts an 8 in intelligence.

Rakasha has 4 higher AC vs a humanoid sorcerer who uses Alterself- I am assuming 7 is the highest available natural armor through alter self.

Rakasha has +3/4 to hit in melee/ranged over a sorcerer

Spell resistance 27 means at level 11 most casters will need to roll a 16 to affect it.
    Well... the Rakashasa's two spell levels behind an equal ECL Sorcerer. If you think it's worth it, then fine. I personally don't, but YMMV.

Extended sig here.

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Practically speaking, no it's not. Even if you make yourself utterly unkillable, it will barely help. Most enemies you encounter at this level are going to be intelligent. They're not going to sit there attacking the person immune to death. They'll go after the weak, easy to kill ones. The party is a chain, and only the defense of the weakest link truly matters. The only way for your high defenses to matter is if everyone else is already dead. In short, spell resistance does nothing if no one is casting spells at you.
    Area effect spells are a thing, I once had a wizard flat out killed by a fireball.

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Titan in the Playground

Area effect spells are a thing, I once had a wizard flat out killed by a fireball.
    Hmm... what level? Just curious.

Extended sig here.

18. - Top - End - #1188

Most AoE spells that are SR: Yes are evocations. The Rakshasa's very unlikely to get tagged as a secondary target by the worst kind of combat magic? Whoop-de-doo.

Also, SR does diddly against breath weapons. Sure, you'll have a better save modifier than an equal HD sorcerer, and more HP, but you're still going to have a bad day against them.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Titan in the Playground

Most AoE spells that are SR: Yes are evocations. The Rakshasa's very unlikely to get tagged as a secondary target by the worst kind of combat magic? Whoop-de-doo.

Also, SR does diddly against breath weapons. Sure, you'll have a better save modifier than an equal HD sorcerer, and more HP, but you're still going to have a bad day against them.
    Doesn't anything without Evasion have a bad day against them?

Extended sig here.

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Titan in the Playground

I think discounting SR 27 + class levels as trivial is a tad disingenuous. As others have said, the majority of offensive spells in the game are SR: yes. And a lot of mid-high level monsters will be hurling around SLAs.

Su attacks and Conjurors notwithstanding, high SR is useful. It may not come into play with every single special attack you face, but it will come into play fairly often.

If the DM is throwing wave after wave of scry-and-die opponents who know how to overcome all of the parties defenses, well, you've got bigger issues to worry about than whether SR 27+ clas levels and DR 15/good and piercing are relevant or not.

I generally find a lot of people on optimization forums vastly underrate defenses as a waste of time. In 3.5, you're better off having a strong offense, yes. But if you're a glass cannon, your career will be short and sweet, or you/your party's WBL will suffer paying for Raise Dead and similar effects.

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Yeah, pretty much.

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Titan in the Playground

Umm... why'd you quote me? That was slightly different from your point. Yes, SR does diddly squat against breath weapons; something to consider when checking the Rakshasa's defenses. But isn't that the same against anything without Evasion?

Extended sig here.

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Titan in the Playground

Umm... why'd you quote me? That was slightly different from your point. Yes, SR does diddly squat against breath weapons; something to consider when checking the Rakshasa's defenses. But isn't that the same against anything without Evasion?
    Sorry for confusing quote nesting, I was agreeing with your point, then responding to the original quote too. I've amended it now.

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Sorry for confusing quote nesting, I was agreeing with your point, then responding to the original quote too. I've amended it now.
    Ah, I see!

Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #1194

Yes, that's the point - the Rakshasa's in the same position as everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I think discounting SR 27 + class levels as trivial is a tad disingenuous. As others have said, the majority of offensive spells in the game are SR: yes. And a lot of mid-high level monsters will be hurling around SLAs.
    Trivial? No, but also not that hard to work around. And being the only one not affected by a SR: Yes spell is useful for staying alive, but staying alive only matters if you can actually do something about your enemies.

Su attacks and Conjurors notwithstanding, high SR is useful. It may not come into play with every single special attack you face, but it will come into play fairly often.
    True, it is useful. But I don't think it's really worth giving up all 9ths, or being an additional spell level behind.

If the DM is throwing wave after wave of scry-and-die opponents who know how to overcome all of the parties defenses, well, you've got bigger issues to worry about than whether SR 27+ clas levels and DR 15/good and piercing are relevant or not.
    Oh, sure, not everybody'll be that well informed. But the BBEG? His/Her/Its top lieutenants? Members of an organization hostile to you? Recurring opponents? Generally smart opponents that do research on adventurers and potential rivals/allies/contractors - although this one is really only relevant if/when the party becomes famous/develop reputations that spread in advance of them.
    Which is to say ... for opponents that matter, they're likely to have at least some degree of foreknowledge and prepare according

I generally find a lot of people on optimization forums vastly underrate defenses as a waste of time. In 3.5, you're better off having a strong offense, yes. But if you're a glass cannon, your career will be short and sweet, or you/your party's WBL will suffer paying for Raise Dead and similar effects.
    Having sufficient defenses is very important, that's true. But, you also need a strong enough offense, so that you can contribute and earn your keep.

My personal feeling is that the Rakshasa's abilities definitely warrant a +2 minimum. I'm unsure as to whether or not they're really worth a +3, and no 9th level spells before Epic. I definitely don't believe they're worth more than that.

Passive defenses are only worth so much, after all.

Let's break it down a little:
    Rakshasa without its racial sorcerer casting, SR, and DR: That'd be a LA +0 entity.
    Rakshasa without its racial sorcerer casting, but with its SR and DR: That'd be a LA +1 entity.
    Rakshasa without its SR and DR, but with its racial sorcerer casting: That'd be a LA +1 entity.
    Rakshasa with its racial sorcerer casting and with its SR and DR: That's a LA +2 entity.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Ogre in the Playground

It's also worth noting that bless weapon on a rapier easily bypasses the rakshasa's DR, as does any holy piercing weapon.

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    It's also worth noting that bless weapon on a rapier easily bypasses the rakshasa's DR, as does any holy piercing weapon.
    If the enemy in question happens to have bless weapon and a rapier or a holy peircing weapon.

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, sure, not everybody'll be that well informed. But the BBEG? His/Her/Its top lieutenants? Members of an organization hostile to you? Recurring opponents? Generally smart opponents that do research on adventurers and potential rivals/allies/contractors - although this one is really only relevant if/when the party becomes famous/develop reputations that spread in advance of them.
    Which is to say ... for opponents that matter, they're likely to have at least some degree of foreknowledge and prepare according
    Also, any random encounter that can make a DC 17 Knowledge (The Planes) check.

Is spell resistance trivial? No, it certainly isn't. It has its uses. It's just not some absolute godsend that bumps the rakshasa up by +2 LA, alone. Especially since everyone is conveniently ignoring the fact that the party cleric has to try beating it for that healing spell that will save the rakshasa's life. It's a double edged sword that is only moderately useful. I hardly think it's even worth any LA by itself.

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Ogre in the Playground

If the enemy in question happens to have bless weapon and a rapier or a holy peircing weapon.
    Indeed, but then rakshasas are evil outsiders, so their DR is tuned more towards players than NPCs. A 5th-level party with a paladin can easily provide the first option, after all.

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Titan in the Playground

Rakshasa

The original rakshasa picture is a generic evil dude surrounded by skulls (did they even get the hands right?), so I used this instead.

Anyway, rakshasas. Their chassis is pretty good, with seven outsider RHD, good stats all around, above-average speed, high DR (which, incidentally, is about the only vulnerability to piercing I've come across yet), and incredible SR, which increases as you gain levels.

They also get at-will Detect Thoughts and Change Shape (humanoids only), which is useful but not too impactful on their LA. Do note that Detect Thoughts can net them a +4 to bluff and disguise on top of their innate bonuses to those skills.

And then all of that is in addition to seven levels of racial sorcerer casting, which is good for reasons that need not be explained.

All in all, and taking the various opinions expressed earlier in the discussion, I think +3 LA is best here, as a middle ground between the various extremes suggested. I wouldn't be oppposed to +2 either, though.

Next are rast: raise your hand if you have ever used any of those. That's right, you didn't.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2017-07-12 at 07:10 AM.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Ogre in the Playground

In a world where sorcerers got new spell levels on the odds rather than evens, I'd be perfectly fine with +3, but this is not that world. This is a cruel, heartless wasteland of despair and suffering.