New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

"Your only impudence, Lady Rem-" Wen says, her expression utterly unchanging. "-is to declare yourself an angel. Few would dare usurp the role that the lords of hell have abandoned." For a tiny moment only there is a piercing harshness to her eyes that belies her otherwise affable demeanor, looking into Rem's own in a way that brings back memories of her old mistress Sophia. There is judgement behind it. "You must be confident in yourself."

At this point, Li interjects, his composure having returned to him. "Welcome once again to our humble town, wise sage." Waving his arm at the assembled students takes a deep bow of his own. "As you can see, we have gathered the students that the venerable master has requested. They are quite eager to receive his teachings."

Turning towards the magistrate, Wen widens her smile, her tone gentle and reassuring. "Actually, I'm afraid that I have not come today to gather your students. Regretfully, recent events have left my teacher unable to take in new disciples quite yet. I hope you understand our sincere regret." Despite her regretful wording, what she says sends a wave of relief over the ex-criminals, who all visibly relax immediately. Even Li himself doesn't seem unhappy, despite his confusion.

"So....I see. Very well. That is deeply regretful, but we thank you for your consideration."

"In fact, I have come here for you, sages of the northern lands." the taoist explains herself. "My master is a taoist sage of great renown and theurgic skill. Much of his work concerns the research of immortality on behalf of our most radiant regent Shun of Yan, a labour that has been disrupted as of late. For this reason, he wishes to speak with you at his monastery." A moment later, she adds "But please, should you have any questions, ask them now." Suddenly, she averts her gaze a little. "Especially you, great northern warrior. I have not heard you speak yet, and I hope my prattling has not offended you." Those last words she seems to direct at Starislav.
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2020-02-27 at 01:57 PM.
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Troll in the Playground

Recent events? Rem notes. She ponders what it could be, and whether or not that could have been related to what they have been doing, or the Golden Lord. The news that she has not come for the convicts is certainly not what she is expecting, and yet...

They are expected, instead.

"I apologise for any offense caused," Rem answers. "The title of angel I do not bear lightly. 'Tis a means of reminding myself of the great responsibility my power has granted me, and the greater possibility of calamity -- that I do not stray in the ways ancient history has described them."

Perhaps there is something to be said in having more confidence, but... prudence has always been how Rem plays it.

The name Shun of Yan does intrigue her, though. "If I may ask, what disruptions have been occurring as of late?" She does look to Starislav and allow him his moment to speak, if he would, though.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Starislav have listened grimmly.
    "Sorry. You talk quite a lot.' he said with a growl.
    "I k'have three k'headed beast within me, and all of them wishper me to rip you to pieces...'
    he pause
    "I k'hoped you could k'help me with that.'
    Thanks for the OOTSkage of OOTS art, Lord Raziere.

------
    My previouse Avater

Bazzilion legions of thanks to his highness Emperor Ing for the awesome avatar!

Who want to join some freeform Naruto Rp?
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ound-ITP-OOC-1

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Just as a reminder, Ren would be aware that Yan Shun is the name of Dulimbai's current reigning regent. His family has guided the regency for more than two hundred years, presenting the only people in the entire country that do not have to prove their merit via the Great Examinations. She would also be aware, if only via cultural osmosis, that the royal family's most important task is to uphold a society based on the virtues of "The Pattern", the belief system handed down from the ancient made god known as the "True King".

Wen is taken aback by Starislav's words at first, wrinkling her forehead with worry. It seems even her calm does have its limits. A few feet away from her, you notice the magistrate grow and burrowing his head in his hands. However, unlike him she does recompose herself quickly.

Pressing her hands against her chest and frowning worriedly, she asks "Do you mean to say you are possessed, northern sage? Your pain must be immense." Lowering her head sadly, she turns aside and takes a few steps, as if trying to digest the revelation. Then, she looks at the warrior over her shoulder, looking still affected yet also determined. "One of the great gifts taoist magic is that we may control and banish evil spirits like the one that haunt you. If there is anyone who can help you, surely it is the esteemed Real Man Xiao." Once again, she lowers her head a little, in affect turning her face away from Starislav. "Of course, we would have to examine you first."

After this, she turns back to Ren, not commenting on her apology and instead simply answering her question. "My master will be able to provide you a fuller explanation, but our concerns revolve around a vicious rebel leader known as the Golden Lord. This cruel being's actions threaten not just our research, but also the lives of my master's beloved students."

Finally able to drag his head out of his palms, Magistrate Li comments through his now rather ruffled beard. "S-So I see! You have had trouble with this outlaw yourself!" There's a hint of uncertainty to his tone, as if he is not quite sure what to make of this information.
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

'I might k'hunt k'him for you, if I'll find you useful.' Starislav said gruffly. and shortly.

------
    My previouse Avater

6. - Top - End - #306
    Troll in the Playground

Rem quietly tucks her head and expresses, "Starislav has a lot of burden within him, but I have full faith he has the capacity to handle it. But I would humbly ask for patience."

The mention of one of Xiao's talents -- the controlling and banishing of spirits -- does interest her, though she nods quietly and expresses, "I would love to hear more from your master. And I see," she expresses quietly. "The Golden Lord. I have heard some tale of him as well." Her eye glances to Magistrate Li as he expresses his concern as well.

"I believe we should make for your master's abode. Would you be able to lead the way?"

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ettin in the Playground

Wen once again seems taken aback by Starislav's attitude, flinching back at the warrior's harsh tone and few words. For a brief moment, she looks hurt by what she heard, but her face quickly returns to a neutral expression. "Your burdens must weigh heavy indeed." she says, followed by a saddened sigh.

Meanwhile, Magistrate Li stands by, quietly stroking his beard. His expression is more successfully neutral than Wen's, something having let him overcome his own exasperation. "Don't let his gruff demeanor affect you, Perfected Woman." Eyes directed at you with a warning glare, he speaks with an encouraging tone. "This man has fought cruel bandits entirely for the sake of the people before, and his loyalty to his mistress is beyond reproach. Clearly, he is a man of-" There is a slight moment of hesitation in his speech, though barely so. "-virtue."

Wen looks at him, then at you, then back at him. "Your words calm me, Magistrate, though it is his soul I fear for more than his virtue." These words are enough to make Li back off with a silent nod. With a wave of his hands, he ushers his guards to round up the prisoners and take them elsewhere, preparing himself to leave the situation.

"Then I shall take my leave and return to my governmental duties. I wish you best of luck in your healing efforts." Then, he bows before turning to head back into the yamen.

"I shall grant you my patience, Lady Rem, as much as is required. Please, follow me to our humble monastery. It is but a day's journey up Red Crow Mountain. It's location is hidden, but I shall be your guide." With that, she turns around and leads the two of you out of town, and towards Real Man Xiao's monastery.

Your path you take is steep and exhausting, moving through heavily forested hills before taking a slow ascent towards the peak of Red Crow Mountain. While the heavy foliage around you provides a good amount of shadow from the blistering heat of Dulimbai, vines and roots overgrow the simple dirt roads that you follow, making you watch your step and tearing into Rem's shoes. Starislav's horse in particular has trouble with the rough terrain. He figures it will need to be re-shoed once he gets back to Gongfang, and that it may be best to dismount if a battle breaks out here. The chance of the animal stumbling is too great otherwise.

As the native, blood-red crows caw in the trees up above, you notice that Wen's pace is rather meandering, at times wandering slightly from the path, at others limping along slowly for a while. Though she moves with purpose, and you don't get the feeling that you are lost, it still makes your journey a somewhat frustrating affair.

Still, it's eased by the fact that Wen is still an affable, friendly guide, using your time together to ask questions about your homelands. "Please tell me, northern sages. What lands do you hail from? And what has granted you the great power my master felt within you? We have never had visitors quite like you, and I find myself awfully curious." She asks as soon as you are out of sight of the town walls.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

The poor horse were in trouble.
    Starislav did what any good brother in arms would do- he jumped off the horse, and carried it on his back, with only a lighy grunt.
    'I come from Nedzuvna.' he answer in his short style.
    'The land, where metal dolls, took over with tyranny and cruelty, over nobility and kindness.' a bit longer then before.
    'I was trained as Bogatyr, as for my curse... I do not know,'

------
    My previouse Avater

9. - Top - End - #309
    Troll in the Playground

The journey is, as expected, not an easy one; Rem begins to float on her wings when it becomes clear that she can't simply work through the vines and roots overgrowing the road ahead. Might this be some of the challenges that the Golden Lord mentioned? She starts to sense out what magic may be in the air, as they proceed.

Starislav shares a bit of his history. "And I myself... I am from the Raktine Confederacy. I was only ever a humble peasant, living in a village that was devoured by the Eldritch, serving one rich noble to another. I was terribly ill from a degenerating, wasting illness up until the moment of my own apotheosis..."

A pause. "And I mean to take this second chance that I may heal others less fortunate than myself."

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Rem
    Show
    Though you've no particular techniques or affinities that grant you a particular sense for magical energies, your basic divine senses do pick up on something in the air now that you strain yourself a little. Something magical is definitely in the air along this path, most likely the protective wards guarding the monastery that the Golden Lord spoke about.

The monastery itself is a bit too far away yet for you to sense anything from it. You'll have to wait just a bit more to see whether Real Man Xiao's power will live up to his name. Then again, even if he is powerful, it's not out of the question that he might be able to hide it. He is a trained theurge, after all, and unlike the Golden Lord may wish to hold himself back when you meet him.

Wen seems capable, though you do not detect anything approaching divine power from her. The sword on her hip is certainly magical, but it's on such a low level as to be unnoticeable to your senses. From the way she moves, though, you've no doubt that she knows how to handle herself.

Perfected Woman Wen stays silent for a moment in response to your explanations, her attention focused on the path ahead. When she finally answers, she keeps herself a bit shorter than previously. "So you do not know yourselves? That is unfortunate." A few steps later, she adds "At the very least, I do not believe you to be parasite gods, if that is a concern you have. You simply do not have the symptoms typical of them."

Spoiler: Starislav
    Show
    You have heard many tales of the cruel parasite gods, mortals who were imbued with the power of failing engines of heaven in freak accidents. Invariable, they are overcome by an insatiable hunger for worship and divine energy that twists them into monstrous forms even as it makes them undisputed rulers of their domains. In the past, entire hunting parties of bogatyrs came together to hunt these mighty monstrosities wherever they cropped out, though such occurrences were thankfully rare.

Wen is right in that you lack many of the symptoms of parasite gods. For one, you haven't enslaved all of Gongfang into a religion centered around yourselves yet. Also, neither of you has been affected by irreversible changes to your bodies. And while she does not know this, you are aware that you've been perfectly able to resist absorbing the divine energy within the shards of heaven you've found thus far.

Still, the awkward silence that ensues from her words does not last long, as Wen is quick to change the topic. "I'm surprised that you do not aspire to more, Lady Rem." she says as she ducks underneath a low-hanging branch, swatting aside an empty spider web. "Even the Taoist teachings, as based in simplicity and artless sagehood as they are, have in mind a specific end goal. That is, to remove ourselves from worldly concerns and find a peaceful, healthy state of enlightenment."

Suddenly, she stops for a second, turning her head to smile at Starislav. "What about you, master bogatyr? You sound enraged at the usurpers of your lands. Would you be so brave as to stand against them all on your own?" As she speaks, her tone quietens, until her last word is but a gasp, as though she herself cannot quite believe what she is thinking. Yet even so, there is something slightly expectant to the way she looks at him, as if hoping for him to say yes.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Troll in the Playground

"My end goal... is simply to serve humanity, because I love and believe in human beings," Rem answers with fervent faith. That much, she has never felt herself flicker. Even meeting the villains that she has, she knows that so much of what drives people to go wrong are the systems in place. "There was one that told me that I was more like a fairytale angel, but I feel there is no wrong in aspiring for a better world. People can do so much, when they are unfettered, unshackled, allowed to learn and collaborate and grow on their own..."

She ponders what Wen asks of Starislav, wondering what his answer will be.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

"I would stand against them. Alas... even if I win, what power will replace them? Who can promise this power won't be as bad, or worse? K'how can I make sure, I won't be the leader?"

------
    My previouse Avater

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

When she hears Starislav's answer, Wen stops in place for a second, before quickly averting her gaze and moving on. You can just about see her smirking a little, though she does her best to not let you see her features. "Such humility..." she breathlessly mumbles to herself, before speaking up. "I feel great certainty that you will find someone, my lord. Surely your eyes are discerning enough."

After that, she takes a moment to clear her throat, before stumbling off the beaten path and into the surrounding undergrowth. Jumping over several roots and trailing a circle around one of the smaller trees, she returns to the road a few moments later. "Your ideals, Lady Rem, are much the opposite of a true angel." Perhaps the most impressive thing about this taoist nun is her ability to carry on a conversation nonchalantly despite her strange method of travel. "You sound almost like a Lomite, yet you are a divinity yourself. Though you impress me, I am not quite sure what to make of you." Suddenly, she pauses, raising her hand to her forehead and looking ahead. Neither of you can quite see what she watching for, though you figure it is some sort of landmark that you do not know.

Spoiler: Starislav
    Show
    You can't help but notice a difference between the way Wen praises you compared to the way she praises Rem. Your companion, she seems to simply evaluate, giving a sincere, but cold measure of what she thinks of her. Yet, when she speaks to you her seem altogether warmer, almost admiring. When you focus, your finely honed draconic senses even pick up her heart beating slightly faster.

"I believe we should be arriving soon. It is not much longer to the monastery. Before we do, however, let me ask you a question. Bogatyr Starislav, why do you trust Lady Rem's leadership so much?"

Show
    I think it's about time to start wrapping up this scene. Should you have anything else you want to ask or tell Wen, do make sure to tell me now.
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2020-03-24 at 01:28 PM.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

Starislav didn't reacted to Wen's praises, just grimmly walked forward, his cloaks waved like tail of barely restrained dragon.
    "K'her k'heart is pure.' he say.
    "She isn't bound to the petty politics and prejudices of most g'humans. With k'her, I believe, I can use my foul powers for good.'

------
    My previouse Avater

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ettin in the Playground

"So I see, Starislav. So I see..." Wen's words trail off as she continues to lead you, seemingly done pressing the issue for now. Afterwards, she stays a bit more quiet than before, leaving only the distant cawing of crows and the occasional nervous neigh of Starislav's carried horse to break the silence of your long journey.

Then, suddenly, just as the sky begins to turn dark above you, you spot something that seems to be your destination. Approached by a short set of carved stairs is a massive, iron-wrought wooden door set into a natural stone wall more than fifteen feet high. If it wasn't for the obvious path approaching it, it would have been very easy to miss among the lush scrub of this untamed mountain wilderness.

Wen, for her part, walks up to the door and gives it two firm knocks. "It is I, Wen! I have returned with the guests for our master!" Silence follows her greeting for almost a minute, yet she waits undisturbed, as though expecting it. Then, with a mighty groan, the doors are pushed open, revealing to you a most magnificent sight.

Beyond the doors to the monastery lies a vast, cultivated garden, forming a courtyard amidst painted wooden walls and buildings. Tall slabs of roughly-hewn rock form pathways past patches of flowers in all colours of the rainbow and all manner of exotic plants from across the realm of Arcem, filling the air with an almost pungent mixture of scents and stinks. A pale moonlight bathes this sight from a large opening in the rock above, with golden-orange paper lanterns filling in the spots that remain dark. The finely crafted walls that surround you are entirely covered with beautiful, golden calligraphy and expertly drawn murals of monks tending plants. Up above, they are crowned ny sweeping, crimson-tiled eaves, completing the luxurious look of this place.

Standing in the doorway, flanked by two young men dressed in the same kind of white robes as Wen, is an old, shrunken monk with wrinkled skin and a balding head of hair that even the wide cloth hat that he wears cannot conceal. His wispy black beard and wide, unblemished white robes wave and flicker in a faint, sourceless breeze that does not seem to affect anyone else, and despite his obvious advanced age his eyes twinkle with intelligence and vigor. As this seemingly 80 or even 90 year old man steps forward to greet you, he not only stands perfectly straight, but raises his arms in fanciful, wild gesticulation.

"Greetings, my dear visitors! Greetings!" he shouts, his voice full and booming with only a slight rasp to it. "I am Real Man Xiao, teacher of this humble monastery! Please, come in! My students have prepared a small meal for you, as you must be hungry after your long walk up the mountain. And if you would put down the horse, good sir, they can make sure it will be fed and watered as well!" The old man smirks cheerfully, before turning and waving for you to follow him. Without a moment's hesitation, he runs off, swirling and almost dancing about the place even as he leads you through the winding maze that are his gardens.

Though you cannot feel as great a deal of power coming from him as you did with the Golden Lord, your senses still tell you that he possesses some level of inner strength. It's hard to judge how much, though. Then again, no normal man should move like that at his age.

Wen, for her part, quietly follows him. She seems used to his antics. The other two students approach Starislav, politely offering to take his horse.
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2020-03-25 at 02:51 PM.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

"Take care of him, as if he is your most favored guest."
    Starislav say, stroking the horse's mane.
    "I am k'hungry. Yes. Thank you.' he say directly.

------
    My previouse Avater

17. - Top - End - #317
    Troll in the Playground

The journey should be more exhausting than it is, but it is something to be said for their newfound, god-like level of endurance, even if that was not particularly her forte. The garden takes her for a moment; she can appreciate it, looking towards the moonlight and the lanterns as she approaches.

And Real Man Xiao himself is... much more jovial than she expected, perhaps. "I am Rem, the angel," she introduces as she always has. Several people have commented on it, and... yet she refuses to change her designation -- it is a constant reminder of what she must never become. "I appreciate your invitation. A meal and drink would be most welcome," she smiles quietly as she looks to Starislav as well.

In the meantime, she is curious whether she can sense those wards any closer now, that they are in his abode.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ettin in the Playground

Concentrating, you notice that the monastery has a similar level of background magic as the pathway that led up to it, persistent but with no particular spikes. Still, for a place to be this suffused with power is almost undeniable proof of its creator's theurgic capability.

Show
    Attuned as you are to the Word of Sky, you manage to pick up on something that Starislav doesn't. Somewhere on the other end of the courtyard, obscured by the many stones that stand in your way, there seems to be a powerful, yet inert storage of elemental energy. Instinctively, you get the feeling that if you were close enough whatever contains this power, you could tap into it.

Show
    Should you find whatever contains this energy, you could use it to cast miracles instead of using your own Effort.

Starislav's horse gives a confused neigh as he sets it down and the two students grab its reigns, both of them exchanging nervous glances in the presence of this intimidating stranger. "W-We'll treat him with due care, honored guest." one of them blurts out, followed by the other nodding quickly in agreement. "Y-Yeah! He'll get the best grass! And...uh, water!" His stumbling quickly earns him an elbow to the side from the first student, after which he shuts up. Together, they swiftly proceed to lead away your mount, taking a different path deeper into the monastery.

Meanwhile, Wen takes it upon herself to make the introductions that you have not yet made yourself. "This quiet knight, master, is the bogatyr Starislav. He serves Lady Rem as her mighty retainer." She finishes her sentence with a short bow, which is however swiftly disrupted by Xiao rushing towards her and holding up her head by the cheeks.

"Thank you Wen, thank you my dear student!" Smiling brightly, he gives her a quick kiss on the cheek before laughing heartily. "Now come on, introductions have been made, and I am so very glad that my prized pupil has returned with guest I am so very eager to meet!" The speed at which he speaks is bewildering. Being non-natives, you almost have trouble keeping up with it. Yet, even so, Wen seems undisturbed, taking even the kiss with cold inaction.

Real Man Xiao leads you deeper into the monastery grounds, through rows upon rows of stone and blooming plantlife. Following the speedy old man through this assault of colours and smells is dizzying, your heads pounding slightly from your surroundings alone. Sweet scents mix with pungent odors as grey stone is followed by explosions of blue, red and purple, and for just a moment the putrid, corpse-like stink of a long row of orchid trays makes your eyes water. But then, finally, you emerge at a small pavilion in the middle of the gardens, a pleasantly fragrant calm in the middle of this storm of a garden.

The pavilion looks to be stocked with a number of carved tablets and small altars, signifying it as some sort of study area, though they have been pushed aside and the remaining tables pushed together to create a makeshift dining table. A simple, but well-crafted dinner of boiled vegetables, bowls of warm broth, and a tray of mountain fruits, as well as thick, comfortable pillows for seating have already been set up by a pair of white-robed students who greet you with deep bows.

Xiao, not stopping his motion for even one moment, leaps over the table and lands one on of the pillows, sitting down in one fluid motion. As restless as ever, he wildly waves at you to seat yourselves as well. Once you have done so, with the two students sitting down next to him and Wen taking a seat next to Starislav, he once again raises his ever slightly too loud voice.

"Please, enjoy the humble meal that we were able to provide for you! We are restricted, of course, from certain ingredients, but nevertheless you'll find our efforts to not be lacking in any way! Eat now, eat! I am so glad that you mighty godlings have come to my monastery, for we have much to discuss indeed!"

Thankfully, he then pauses for a bit, allowing you to dig in before any further discussions start. Showing at least common Dulimbaian dinner etiquette, he begins to eat only after you, followed by Wen and then his more junior students. Only once the dinner is well underway does he speak up again, this time with a suddenly more somber tome.

"Lady Rem, Lord Starislav, I must thank you for coming here on my invitation." As is to underscore his words, the old monks slams his hands down on the table, making it shake a little. "You come to me in a time of great need, one where I require the aid of great heroes such as yourselves whose mighty power I have felt from afar! My dear, beloved students are under threat from a vile rebel demon that has revealed itself in the last months, and I am desperate to seek aid from any who may be able to oppose him. Surely, you cannot stand to let such evil roam free?" He smacks his hands together into a clasp and leans forward, his expression pleading. Next to him, his students nod quietly, though they do not speak up themselves.
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2020-03-26 at 11:30 AM.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Starislav is eating with hunger and vigor, not minding Dulimbam manners or others.
    Rice and sauce decorate his greying beard.
    "Demon? What demon?"

------
    My previouse Avater

20. - Top - End - #320
    Troll in the Playground

That storage of energy... Rem would have to investigate by going a bit closer later. She feels a bit bad, perhaps, investigating as she is, but it remains true that they have forged an alliance already, and as Real Man Xiao continues to speak...

Rem seems almost surprised at the kiss, and how coldly Wen takes it -- it didn't seem like someone who was particularly happy about it. And ... It almost seems inevitable Xiao would speak of a 'demon', after their proceedings through theg arden.

She quietly sits down and sips on her broth, then looks towards Xiao again.

"I would have you speak more of this rebel demon, as Starislav has said..."

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ettin in the Playground

Oddly enough, Starislav notes that this meal contains no rice whatsoever, nor any noodles or other substitutes. As humble as Xiao insists his monastery is, this seems like odd occlusion in a meal specifically prepared for guests, so it may be due to the dietary restrictions that he's mentioned.

Meanwhile, the monk himself exclaims dramatically. "I know not his true nature! But he is a power-hungry warlord, whose corrupt disciples have slain many of my dear students, and who poisons the minds of the common people with lies of freedom and a world they will control!" In the process of being quite so theatrical, Xiao actually rises from his seat, only to let himself gently drop back down after his voice has reached a crescendo.

"They call him the Golden Lord, and by the masterful martial arts that his students know, there is no doubt that this own strength is immense." His voice has lowered to a whisper, yet there is still enough intensity to it so to feel as if he is shouting. And though he lowers his head, his eyes stay almost desperately fixated on you. "Fear of him has moved me to forbid all but my greatest pupil-" With a sudden burst of motion, he points towards Wen. "-from leaving the monastery grounds. I could not guarantee for their safety otherwise."

At this point, Wen actually buts in, her tone more somber and restrained than that of her teacher. "We do not know why exactly he has attacked us, but there could be many reasons. For one, we taoists do not enjoy great popularity in the first place. Our philosophy exists outside the Pattern handed down by the True King, so many view us with great suspicion.

Then, there is also the fact that my master is an official immortality researcher for our regent. While this does not mean that we work directly with the regency, for a zealot it may be enough to mark us as targets. Or perhaps they simply view us as a threat due to our sorcerous knowledge and learned nature."
    After this, she and Xiao both pause for a bit, letting you digest the information you have just received. They seem to be readying themselves for any questions you now may wish to ask.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Troll in the Playground

"I see, the Golden Lord..." Rem doesn't like it, perhaps, but she's developed a bit of a poker face in the last few weeks -- she's had to perform a lot more subterfuge than even she came to expect.

Wen offers some explanations as to why.

Some things were gelling to her mind. Wen mentioned Shun of Yan, Dulimbai's current regent, earlier -- and how the royal family's most important task is to uphold a society based on the virtues of "The Pattern"... what could this mean? To know the regent, of the royal family, is inquiring against the The Pattern was... certainly curious.

"... I would like... to redouble our steps. Could you explain your philosophy in greater detail? I would like to know why you request the people that you do from Magistrate Li, and what becomes of them when they become students in your abode."

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ettin in the Playground

"I am but a humble taoist scholar!" Xiao shouts proudly, as though that is enough to give you the whole picture. After a moment's hesitation, however, he starts stroking his beard as he goes into more detail. "I live a simple life, isolated from wordly concerns! I avoid corrupt and decadent behavior, so as to lift my spirit, and I abstain from grains and cereal so as to not poison my inner alchemy." Smirking, he flexes and stretches his spindly, yet solid arms. "By such methods I have sustained my health for almost two-hundred years! Even in this advanced age, I am a man among men, all because I embrace a simpler lifestyle!"

Show
    What Xiao is talking about seems to be the basic philosophical underpinnings surrounding his particular branch of magic. Reality in Arcem is rather flexible, often held in place only by belief and ritual, and you do not doubt that for this old monk the mysticism he describes is physical fact.

Still, his claim of being two-hundred years old are rather hard to swallow. Extending ones life is never easy, even for the mightiest and most talented theurges using widespread faiths, with most techniques being far less than perfect.

"Of course, being so accomplished, I wish to share my knowledge with others!" Seemingly done showing off, he instead gestures at the two quiet students who have been partaking in the meal with you. "These poor, unfortunate souls are xiaoren, slaves and criminals. Lowest of the low, they cannot expect much out of their time on this earth, yet in my monastery they may find a better, more serene life." Finishing his explanation with a rather exaggerated shrug, he adds "Of course, as I said, this requires an amount of isolation and detachment from the outside world. Combine that with the danger that the Golden Lord has presented us so far, and you must be able to understand why I've kept us locked up in here, wise as you are."

Xiao throws a sideways glance at the students, who nod quickly. "It's true!" one says firmly. "Real Man Xiao teaches us his techniques and way of living, so that we may enjoy a long, healthy life like his! He cares very much for us, and has done his best to protect us from the Golden Lord."
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2020-03-30 at 12:34 PM.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Troll in the Playground

There is a quiet frown that Rem tries to hide, perhaps knowing of how the Golden Lord and Real Man Xiao embody two different extremes. It's not hard to see how they could be at such odds. On the one side, earthly suffering and punishment, that the body may become resilient; on the other, utter detachment from worldly concerns. Perhaps, once upon a time, Rem believed more in such taoist teachings, as a healer should, but...

There was nothing to be gained from completely detaching oneself from the world.

"Pray allow me to speak firm. The Magistrate aids and abets corruption," Rem speaks very firmly. "He has a fear of you, and you rescue xiaoren and slaved and criminals from him... but what of your long term plans? You must know there is much more suffering outside of your realm, so long as the systems that caused such suffering remain in place."

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Starislav groaned.
    One might appear shiny, but he is actually shady, the other appear to be a humble spiritual man, but actually has a hubris he rarely has seen before.
    "Maybe, I am a foriegner. And maybe my kingdom was led by dolls made of cold metal for a long time.... but my brain is k'hurt trying to unwrap what you actually are saying. It's not just you, so maybe I am in the wrong. But to me it sound like chatter of birds, which I fail to understand the point of.'

------
    My previouse Avater

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ettin in the Playground

Xiao ceases his mannerisms for a moment as Rem mentions the magistrate, raising an eyebrow. "He fears me? That is....good to know. Thank you for telling me." Then, however, he frowns, and quickly shakes his hands in defense. "However, I am no hero, and I have no desire to change society. Should you wish to do so, I will do nothing to stop you and will wish you all the good fortune you require, but my efforts are ultimately of a yin nature."

Seeing that you may be confused at this descriptor, Wen perks up and quickly explains. "What my master means to say is that they are inward-directed. While of course one must live in harmony with one's surroundings, the taoist creed advises against overly meddling in the affairs of others, as it is easy to become entangled in worldly matters and lose sight of the better path."

The monk stares uncertainly for a moment after his student's interjection, but a cheerful smirk swiftly returns to his face. "Well spoken, my dearest student! Whatever would I do without you and your womanly charms? I shall need a reminder to find a reward for you later, Wen!"

However, as Starislav makes his own point, Real Man Xiao's smile quickly fades. He glares over at the bogatyr with clear wariness, nervously taking side glances at Rem. "Such.....I...I am sorry if I have offended you, Lord Starislav. I just am a simple scholar whose students are threatened by a blood-hungry rebel. I had merely hoped that two powerful heroes such as yourselves might be willing to stand against his injustice." Despite his initial bafflement, he does recover quickly, clasping his hands together and trying to look affable. "Of course, in return I would be happy to aid you in your great endeavors. I have theurgic texts that I could share with you, as well as old contacts among Dulimbai's elites who still owe me favors.

Perhaps..."
    For a moment, he seems to hesitate, as if uncertain whether to speak his next words out aloud. "....we could even do something about this corrupt Magistrate Li? It seems we both have reason to worry about him."
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2020-03-31 at 12:43 PM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

The way Xiao treated Wen, the words he chose for her, the way he would not respect her personal space all bothered Rem. And to hear of how he would prefer to choose to not act, in favour of following his creed of a 'yin nature'...

In all honesty, Rem felt that there was very little difference between him and another kind of indolent noble -- they dress themselves in different vices, one of greed and gluttony, the other philosophy, but with markedly little difference in the end.

"I am curious why you say you have a reason to worry about the Magistrate?" Rem asks plainly. "Does he not supply you with pupils, as we have seen here?"

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ettin in the Playground

"He does." Xiao admits, nodding his head vigorously. "However, I was unaware until now that he fears and suspects my altruistic reasons." The old monk waves his arm in a wild arc that forces his students to duck for a moment. "Though I am isolated from the outside world, I am no fool! Li already struggles to supply me with the students I demand, and a man as corrupt as him would surely like to get rid of me by whatever underhanded means available!"

In one swift motion, he leans forward, suddenly far closer to your faces than is comfortable. "Now, excuse me if I am wrong, but I would harbor a guess that this petty magistrate approached you about me already. I would not be surprised if he asked you to assassinate me, or at the very least investigate my humble abode." There is a slight hint of panic to his voice, his tone slowly rising.

"Master Xiao! Surely they do not-" Wen interjects, but Xiao silences her with a wave of his hand.

Still, the monk takes a moment before he speaks again, and when he does sounds calmer again. "No, I do not believe I must fear these honorable outsiders. They see Li for who he really is, and understand the injustice behind his desires. Which means that they must not only realize that he stands in the way of their goals, but will surely attempt to move against them the moment they become an inconvenience to him."

At this, Wen stays quiet, though she turns to you with a tilt of her head. She frowns, though her expression seems to be one of agreement.
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2020-04-04 at 03:50 AM.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Troll in the Playground

Rem's eyebrows just raise even further as Xiao becomes quite agitated. She doesn't flinch or break face when he leans in, either. The way he slipped there, and said he 'demanded' students...

"I understand your concern, but..." Rem speaks gently, though seeking to tease out more information. "Surely there is not much cause to investigate an abode such as this? I thought this a simple home, where people devote their life to study and practice of the taoist principles." A furrowed brow. "You know where my feelings lie with the magistrate. I already spoke clear and true to you of how I believe he is corrupt and must be deposed. You have no cause for concern from us."

There is a quiet smile as she says, "I must say, I would like to see this place further, as someone who is studying my own arts of healing, and speak to some of your disciples -- and of course, as a once-healer of the Merciful Hand, mend to any diseases or woes anyone may be suffering here. Would that be permissible?"
    Last edited by Merilan; 2020-04-04 at 04:15 AM.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Starislav didn't hurried to speak.
    But when finally he did, he wasn't sounding very friendly.
    "If you are merely a scholar, as you claim, why one, no matter k'how corrupted k'he is will bother with you?'
    He nodded.
    "Perk'haps we do need to see more.'

------
    My previouse Avater