New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default How would you portray Maleficant?

As speaks the title, so do I. If you were to place Maleficant in a game, what class/level/spells would you bestow upon her? The movie version, that is, not the version from Kingdom Hearts. She seems a little less wise in that version.
    Forget not Diablo, her Raven Familiar, as you ponder.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: How would you portray Maleficant?

You mean Maleficient? I think a dread necromancer, or a warlock might be appropiate, though it's open to question.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, there's the spelling.
    She really diddn't command any undead, did she? And she could turn into a dragon...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

From wikipedia:

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia-Maleficent
    Maleficent is responsible for "all misfortune that befalls King Stefan's kingdom." (King Stefan is the father of Princess Aurora.) Maleficent also possesses a range of magical powers and artifacts, such as using the crystal ball on her army to taunt Prince Philip with images of a bleak future. She also casts spells, such as inflicting Aurora with a curse of death (weakened to a curse of sleep by the good fairy Merryweather), creating thunderstorms, sending frosts, projecting lightning, teleporting, and changing shapes. Some of Maleficent's forms in the film were that of a spinning wheel, a Will o' the wisp, and a dragon.

Her pet raven (called Diablo), and her goons, an army of inept goblin henchmen, carried out most of her orders for her. She was slain by the sword of Prince Philip, after one final enchantment from Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather drove it directly into her heart. She fell to the ground. Nothing was left of her but her cloak with the sword still in it.
    So she's a spellcaster. She's cast control weather, lightning, and changed shape from spinning wheel, will o' the wisp and dragon. All that leaves is the curse of death. Bestow Curse is too weak sadly. I think she paid out the XP for wish. Based on the spells cast, she likely was either a 18+ level sorcerer or a 17+ level wizard.

Edit- As for the goblins, she took leadership at some point. Though I don't know who the cohort is.
    Last edited by HidaTsuzua; 2007-10-04 at 07:48 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HidaTsuzua View Post
    From wikipedia:

So she's a spellcaster. She's cast control weather, lightning, and changed shape from spinning wheel, will o' the wisp and dragon. All that leaves is the curse of death. Bestow Curse is too weak sadly. I think she paid out the XP for wish. Based on the spells cast, she likely was either a 18+ level sorcerer or a 17+ level wizard.

Edit- As for the goblins, she took leadership at some point. Though I don't know who the cohort is.
    Villains don't take Leadership, especially for ineffective minions. They just have them.

Incredibly GAR avatar by Ninja_Chocobo.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Maleficent D20

Here is how I portrayed Maleficent:

Maleficent

Half Hex Dragon 13th level Human Sorceress, 2nd level Fallen Fairy Godmother*
    Medium Dragon (Augmented Human)
    Hit Dice: 15d6 (55 hit points)
    Initiative: +6 (+1 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), Fly 60 ft (poor)
    Armor Class: 15 (+4 natural +1 Ring of Protection), touch 11, flat-footed 15
    BAB/Grapple: +7/+6
    Attack: Bite+6 melee (1d6-1) and 2 claws+1 melee (1d4-1)
    Full Attack: Bite+6 melee (1d6-1) and 2 claws+1 melee (1d4-1)
    Space/Reach: 5ft. /5ft
    Special Attacks: Bestow baby’s bane, breath weapon, retributive curse (sickness or agony), spell-like abilities, spells
    Special Qualities: Aging well, alter self, dark vision 60 ft., familiar, flight, vile resistance
    Saves: Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +13
    Abilities: Str 8, Dex 12, Con 10, Int 15, Wis 13, Cha 18
    Skills: Appraise +5, Bluff +9, Concentration +9, Craft (woodworking) +4, Disguise +14, Intimidate +9, Knowledge (Arcana) +12, Knowledge (Nature) +7, Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) +7, Listen +3**, Search +6, Sense Motive +6, Spellcraft +7, Spot +3**
    Feats: AlertnessB**,Brew Potion, Combat Casting, Craft Rod, Create Wand, Improved Initiative, Leadership
    Environment: Any (she has a grand palace but is always looking to take over someone else’s)
    Organization: Solitary (Unique)
    Challenge Rating: 18
    Treasure: Triple Standard
    Alignment: Lawful Evil
    Advancement: Per Class
    Level Adjustment: +3

*The Fairy Godmother is my homebrewed class. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...06&postcount=1

Designer Notes:
    Maleficent started with elite array (8, 10, 12, 13, 14, and 15), +4 points for level, she also began with 6 hit points at first level as an elite NPC. She gains the Alertness feat while in the presence of her familiar. She also gains +2 to her saves from her cloak of resistance +2. Maleficent gains the following skills from her familiar: +3 appraise.

"Now shall you deal with me, O Prince, and all the powers of Hell!"

Maleficent’s draconic parentage is readily apparent from the horns on her head to her unhealthy pallor, and her love for corruption, betrayal and decay. She cruelly manipulates those around her. She covets power in all its forms. Maleficent speaks Abyssal, Common, Draconic, Infernal and Undercommon.

Spoiler
    Show

Maleficent also possesses a range of magical powers and artifacts, which allow her to do such things as use the crystal ball on her staff to taunt Prince Philip with images of a bleak future. She also casts spells, such as inflicting Aurora with a curse of death (weakened to a curse of sleep by the good fairy, Merryweather), creating thunderstorms, sending frosts, projecting lightning, teleporting, and changing shapes. Some of Maleficent's forms in the film were that of a spinning wheel, a Will o' the wisp, and a dragon. Maleficent was often surrounded by eerie green flames; in the final battle she cries "Now shall you deal with me, O Prince, and all the powers of Hell!" implying that she had phenomenal powers of evil at her disposal, even providing viewers with a demonstration by subsequently transforming into a tremendous black-and-purple dragon. Her pet raven, Diablo, and her army of inept goblin henchmen carried out most of her orders for her.

Aging Well (Ex): Like other fairy godmothers, Maleficent gets no penalties for aging after middle age. Due to her evil nature, however, her skin has taken on an unhealthy green tone and she is rather gaunt.

Alter Self (Sp): As a fairy godmother, Maleficent gains the ability to alter self once per day. In addition, she may shrink or grow by two sizes. Maleficent is too vain to alter her true appearance in public. However, she has been known to disguise herself using this ability.

Bestow Baby’s Bane (Sp): Any baby whom an evil fairy godmother oversees is given prophecy that foretells a curse that will take place when the child turns 16. Some of these curses are so potent that they turn into family curses (such as turning into a frog) that can be passed down through the generations. Others can have fatal consequences. Unfortunately, the only person who can remove the curse is the fairy godmother who lay in the first place. Such enchantments can be mitigated by higher-ranking fairy godmothers who will earn the enmity of the first.

Breath Weapon (Su): Maleficent has a breath weapon, a 60-foot line of putrid venom, once per day, which does 1d6 points of Constitution damage on a failed Fortitude Save (DC 16)

Familiar: Diablo the Raven gives Maleficent +3 on appraise. Diablo speaks Infernal. He has 27 hit points, Int of 13, a natural armor adjustment of +8 and a spell resistance as a 20th level caster.

**Alertness (Ex): While her familiar is within arm’s reach, Maleficent gains the Alertness feat. She gains +2 bonus to Spot and Listen skills.

Improved Evasion (Ex): When subjected to an attack that normally allows a Reflex saving throw for half damage, a familiar takes no damage if it makes a successful saving throw and half damage even if the saving throw fails.

Share Spells: Maleficent may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) she casts on herself also affect her familiar. Diablo must be within 5 feet at the time of casting to receive the benefit.

If the spell or effect has a duration other than instantaneous, it stops affecting the familiar if it moves farther than 5 feet away and will not affect the familiar again even if it returns to the master before the duration expires. Additionally, Maleficent may cast a spell with a target of "You" on Diablo (as a touch range spell) instead of on herself.

Maleficent and her familiar can share spells even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the familiar’s type (magical beast).

Empathic Link (Su): Maleficent has an empathic link with her familiar out to a distance of up to 1 mile. She cannot see through the familiar’s eyes, but they can communicate empathically. Because of the limited nature of the link, only general emotional content can be communicated.

Because of this empathic link, Maleficent has the same connection to an item or place that her familiar does.

Deliver Touch Spells (Su): Diablo can deliver touch spells for her. If Maleficent and her familiar are in contact at the time Maleficent casts a touch spell, she can designate Diablo as the "toucher." Diablo can then deliver the touch spell just as Maleficent could. As usual, if Maleficent casts another spell before the touch is delivered, the touch spell dissipates.

Speak with Master (Ex): Diablo and Maleficent can communicate verbally as if they were using a common language. Other creatures do not understand the communication without magical help.

Speak with Animals of Its Kind (Ex): Diablo can communicate with animals of approximately the same kind as itself (including dire varieties): Such communication is limited by the intelligence of the conversing creatures. Diablo can speak with normal and dire avians (sparrows to eagles).

Spell Resistance (Ex): Maleficent’s familiar gains spell resistance equal to her level + 5. To affect the familiar with a spell, another spellcaster must get a result on a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) that equals or exceeds the familiar’s spell resistance.

Scry on Familiar (Sp): Maleficent may scry on her familiar (as if casting the scrying spell) once per day.

Flight (Su): Due to her background as a fairy godmother, Maleficent has gained the ability to fly. Small black draconic wings matching her cloak appear at her back when she uses this ability.

Retributive Curse (Su): Maleficent has learned to channel her pain and anger into terrible retributive magic; many foes who succeed in wounding her find themselves wishing that they could take back the blow. On any round in which she is injured (taking a hit point or ability damage) Maleficent may curse on of her opponents who injured her as a free action with either Sickness: Target is sickened for 1d4 rounds or Agony: Target is crippled by agonizing pain (treat as nauseated) for 1d4 rounds.

Spell-like Abilities (Sp): At Will—deathwatch, 3/day—suggestion.

Spells Known: 0 level: Acid Splash, Arcane Mark, Detect Poison, Detect Magic, Daze, Magic Missile, Mending, Message, Open/Close; 1st level: Alarm, Cause Fear, Protection from Good, Shield, Identify; 2nd level: Command Undead, Levitate, Pyrotechnics, Darkness, Misdirection; 3rd level: Summon Monster III, Nondetection, Arcane Sight, Fireball, Dispel Magic; 4th level: Charm monster, Polymorph, Phantasmal Killer, Bestow Curse; 5th level: Baleful Polymorph, Dismissal, Planar Binding Lesser, Dominate Person; 6th level: Mislead, Create Undead, Chain Lightning; 7th level: Teleport Greater, Finger of Death

{table]Level|# Known spells|# Spells Maleficent can cast*|DC of Spells
    0| 9 |6| 14
    1st| 5| 7|15
    2nd |5 |7 |16
    3rd| 5|7| 17
    4th| 4| 7|18
    5th|4|6|19
    6th|3|6| 20
    7th|2|4|21[/table]

*Includes bonus spells for high Charisma.

The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a sorcerer’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the sorcerer’s Charisma modifier.

Vile Resistance (Ex): Maleficent receives a +4 bonus on saves versus death effects, enchantment spells, and spells and effects that deal negative energy damage. She is immune to disease and poison.

Possessions: Rod of thunder and lightening, ring of protection +1, staff of frost, crystal ball with telepathy, wand of darkness, Maleficent’s cloak is a +2 Cloak of resistance

Debby
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2013-04-05 at 01:34 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

BardGuy

^^Spoiler please.

Nice job though. I might change some things around and use it as a villan.
    Johannes factotum of the Bard Defense League

"A witty saying proves nothing." -Voltaire

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though ofttimes better than master of one."

The main question that any DM should ask before making a house-rule or exception is, "Is it balanced?"

8. - Top - End - #8

Ooh, we should stat all the decent disney villians, maybe make a disney setting, I mean that would be pretty fun(ny).

Lets see, who could be good for stating, there is always hook, he is pretty easy, I mean rogue/dread pirate.
    Any others anyone can think of?

9. - Top - End - #9

Jafar? But he's kinda hard to stat, and we'd need to sets of statistics, one before he's a genie, one after.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Jafar needs stating out in both his human and genie forms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

11. - Top - End - #11

3 Actually, before the genie at all he doesn't seem to have magic abilitys, just a bird& what is probably a magical staff, his magical powers come in once he gets the lamp(And you know basically shows that he has no wisdom score.) He makes himself a sorcerer, then a genie, but we can skip normal part.

12. - Top - End - #12

Ya, you be rightey. And another villain to stat would be any of the pirates of the caribbean, since they aren't all the same (barbossa looks like a swashbuckler, but davy jones is more magicky).

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

He's not very magical or even humanoid, but I would *love* to see Scar statted out. Some sort of evil diplomacy-and-minions build. Definitely Leadership, I think.

14. - Top - End - #14

Jafar's human form is easy enough: He's a regular guy with a staff that can be used to cast some sort of enchantment effect. The tricky part is figuring out what it casts. Dominate won't work, since it lasts for such a brief amount of time and the Sultan doesn't seem to know he's been affected. Suggestion's too subtle. Perhaps some modified form of Hypnotism?

As far as class goes, I'd call him a Human Expert with max ranks in Use Magic Device and Knowledge (Arcana). High Int, Good Cha, Oh-So-Very-Dumped Wis. Artificer might work as well, if you assume he built the staff and developed the smoke bomb. I'm not sure where Iago comes in. Perhaps he UMD'd a scroll of Awaken?
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

I vote for Negaduck and Chernobog.

Also, I think Jafar may indeed need Artificer levels. It seems to imply he built that gear-powered scrying machine thing in his lab that let him find Aladdin.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

I, for one, would like to see Black Pete stated out.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I vote for Negaduck and Chernobog.

Also, I think Jafar may indeed need Artificer levels. It seems to imply he built that gear-powered scrying machine thing in his lab that let him find Aladdin.
    Ooh, I too want Chernobog. I mean, Maleficient only laied claimn to the powers of Hell; Chernobog demonstrated them nightly.

All the disney villains? Let's get a-cracking. I've been humming "Kill the Beast" for the past hour, after all.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Ooh, I too want Chernobog. I mean, Maleficient only laied claimn to the powers of Hell; Chernobog demonstrated them nightly.

All the disney villains? Let's get a-cracking. I've been humming "Kill the Beast" for the past hour, after all.
    Meh, Gaston would just be a 1st level rogue.

Anyway, do the villains home to the Kingdom Hearts universe count as Disney? I believe I have most of the Nobodies and Heartless stashed away on some hardrive or another.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Meh. Personally I count Heartless and Nobodies as being constructs of Square Enix.
    'Sides, Gastons gotta be like, Barbarian/Ranger/Rogue, each with a single level.

20. - Top - End - #20

Meh, Gaston would just be a 1st level rogue.
    Bear in mind, his power is not just incredible arrogance. There's a reason he's the most popular guy in town. I'd put him at fourth, maybe fifth level. He's still no match for the Beast in a straight fight, of course, but he could take any normal human any day of the week.

How about Ursula? There's bound to be a class out there that revolves around magical contracts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Bear in mind, his power is not just incredible arrogance. There's a reason he's the most popular guy in town. I'd put him at fourth, maybe fifth level. He's still no match for the Beast in a straight fight, of course, but he could take any normal human any day of the week.

How about Ursula? There's bound to be a class out there that revolves around magical contracts.
    Just because he can take any normal human doesn't mean he has to be higher than 1st level. A normal human has 1-4 HP. Even if he's only 1st level, if Gaston has a +2 or +3 bonus from strength, he can still deck them with one punch. Add in a high bluff feint followed by a Sneak Attack, which is certainly the kind of thing Gaston would do, in my opinion, and he's doing 4-11 damage with his *fists* and no feats involved.

And he's a hunter, which implies laying in wait and Sneak Attacking animals with a rifle from 30' away, which could also be easily accomplished as a first level rogue.

22. - Top - End - #22

Yeah, its called Lawyer( ). No really I can't think of anything that does, but a custom class/spell/ability could work.

I want Pom Poko, it is technically disney......I dare you guys who don't know what that is to search it on wikipedia......no really I do.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

I'd just like to say that I love the name Maleficant for a villain.

Names I have used for villains in the past:

Mordeth
    Tal Malvolen
    Vasishtha
    Mirado
    Mircalla (cudos if you get that reference)

As regards the OP, I think the witch variant spell list from the DMG works really well to represent Maleficant.
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2007-10-04 at 11:48 PM.
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by doliest View Post
    I want Pom Poko, it is technically disney......I dare you guys who don't know what that is to search it on wikipedia......no really I do.
    O_O

Oh my god!!! That...he's...but...inflated raccoon scrotum! The horror!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post

Hmm... he motivated a village to attack what might be a beast by singing a song. He's a bard.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Hmm... he motivated a village to attack what might be a beast by singing a song. He's a bard.
    Not fair! In the Disney Campaign setting it's obvious that anyone can sing songs to inspire people (See: Ursula, Scar, Phil, etc.)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdlet View Post
    He's not very magical or even humanoid, but I would *love* to see Scar statted out. Some sort of evil diplomacy-and-minions build. Definitely Leadership, I think.
    Bard might work. He has several ranks in Perform (singing), at any rate. Plus he's a decent fighting type, although not nearly as good as Simba or Mufasa.

Jafar's staff might simply give him +50 on bluff checks.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Bard might work. He has several ranks in Perform (singing), at any rate. Plus he's a decent fighting type, although not nearly as good as Simba or Mufasa.

Jafar's staff might simply give him +50 on bluff checks.
    I still say rogue fits him best. But, anyway, that's a horrible idea for a staff! Not only could he have simply shouted "You are a rosebush, thus you must give me money!" to everyone and they'd have believed him, but if the PCs ever got the staff from Jafar, that'd be what they would do!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Jafar's staff is more ore less some manner of "Staff of Persuasion" or some such, which he "use magic device"-es, being a rogue or bard or spelltheif or something. It uses like, Hyptnotism, Charm Person, Suggestion, less Geas, things like that.
    Either that, or he's a low level bard and the staff is just the focus for the spell he casts.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

O_O

Oh my god!!! That...he's...but...inflated raccoon scrotum! The horror!
    Another failed sanity check. I hope you're proud of yourself doliest.