New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Need a character background written up?

Quote Originally Posted by Great Dragon View Post
    Greetings !!
    Tawmis is great at writing up Backstories, and even when going in an unexpected direction, it's interesting.
    I will send that check to you for saying these nice things!

Quote Originally Posted by moonfly7 View Post
    No not yet. But I'm thinking of naming the skeleton Indiana bones. Feel free to come up with a name.
    So do you want a more serious or light hearted background?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketguy2 View Post
    That's excellent! Thanks for making this, it works perfectly
    The pleasure was mine! Thank you for allowing me to write it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythalidor View Post
    So I had another character I was wondering if you could think a backstory for. This either a challenge or super easy, based on how well you deal with vagueness.
    Will add it to the list!

I am a wee bit busy at work (just pulled a 52 hour week, and now I am going into the next week looking at roughly another 52 hour week!) So my writing time has been decimated! But I will continue to knock these out!
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)

2. - Top - End - #482

Quote Originally Posted by AH0098 View Post
    As usual great sir, two more.
    1st
    Name: Mayidil Bawn'urden
    Race: Drow Elf
    Class: Fighter
    Background: Outlander (Battlemaster)
    Personality: I feel tremendous empathy for all who suffer. Despite my birth, I do not place myself above other folk. We all have the same blood. I'm willing to listen to every side of an argument before I make my own judgment.
    Ideals: Free Thinking. Inquiry and curiosity are the pillars of progress. Aspiration. I seek to prove myself worthy of my god's favor by matching my actions against her teachings. Redemption. There's a spark of good in everyone.
    Bonds: A powerful person killed someone I love. Someday soon, I'll have my revenge.
    Flaws: A scandal prevents me from ever going home again. That kind of trouble seems to follow me around.
    Notes: She’s a follower of Ellistre, she escaped her drow city before it was destroyed. She lives on the surface with other followers of Ellistre.
    I hope you enjoy, you've definitely helped fuel my inspiration to create more characters to fuel your inspiration to write amazing work.
    This one is kind of short... Maybe a little darker than you wanted for someone worshiping a Chaotic Good, goddess.
    It's short, because a part of her story ties to a previously written one, found here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=468
    Hope you enjoy! As always, looking for feedback!
    Enjoy!
    ==========================

I have seen both darkness and light. I’ve seen both sides of the story, and know that somewhere in the middle lies the truth. My name is Mayidil Bawn'urden, and I grew up in Sundell, one of the many homes of the Drow down in the Underdark. As I grew up, I witness the things my people did, and today, understand the rest of the world’s hatred towards my people. I understand their scolding looks and why they spit in my direction as I pass by them. I understand the reason that many refuse to serve me and why many seek to instigate a fight with me.

I despised the way my people treated those from the surface. Whether it was to enslave them, abuse them, torture them, and those that were lucky, were simply outright killed. At a very young age, I ventured up to the surface world where I met a woman named Ellatorn Brokemane. She was an Elf, like me, but not a Drow. I confessed to her the things my people were doing and she begged me to help turn the tide. She asked me to fetch spellbooks that my people used that consisted of dark magic. She explained that if she hoped to win the fight she would have to sink down to level and power of my people. She promised those books would be destroyed after the fight was over.

For eight weeks, I made lousy reasons to excuse myself from my family, my friends, my life, to sneak information back to Ellatorn Brokemane. In exchange for this information, Ellatorn Brokemane turned me on to a Drow Goddess who welcomed those like me; who sought to return to the surface world once again and escape the madness of the Underdark; and that goddess was Eilistraee. Though I was a fighter by nature, everything about Eilistraee appealed to me. She taught the appreciation of dance and swordplay together, intertwining both the ability to fight, with a focus on how to be in tune with your body.

One day, Ellatorn Brokemane told me that she was ready to begin her assault on Sundell. She had warned me to get my family out of Sundell. So I returned to Sundell and tried to tell my family what was coming. I had lied to them and told them that I caught a surface dwelling spy who revealed this information to me, but my family insisted that they would defend themselves if the Surface World dared invade Sundell.

The attack came two hours sooner than Ellatorn Brokemane had told me; and it made me wonder, had she never intended to allow me and my family to escape the assault. When Ellatorn Brokemane and her forces entered, they were using the same dark magic my own kind used. I could see the infection in their eyes and their soul; and when the battle seemed to be turning against them, they did what I would have never imagined. They raised their own dead soldiers to press on and attack, turning the tide back in their favor.

I had no choice but to fight Ellatorn Brokemane and her forces and I had been the only one that was able to get close enough to her, using her trust in me, to bring her down. My people quickly descended upon her and captured her. Rather than kill her, my people did the same thing she had done. They used dark magic that separated her soul from her body, casting her soul into the Shadowfell, while her body was buried under a great statue made in the blackest of stone, to mark her black soul, and a warning to those who would ever come for my people again.

I left shortly after, returning once again to the surface world; after my brother and sister were found dead as a result of this war. On the surface world, I learned to adjust to my new way of living. And though my heart was full of love from Eilistraee, I still wondered if there might not be a way to return Ellatorn Brokemane’s soul back to her body, so that I might permanently kill her for her betrayal to me and my family…
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2019-09-16 at 05:27 PM.
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

3. - Top - End - #483

As usual great sir, two more.
    2nd
    Name: Flint Forgefire
    Race: Mountain Dwarf
    Class: Cleric (Forge)
    Background: Guild Artisan
    Personality: I always want to know how things work and what makes people tick.
    Ideals: I work hard to be the best there is at my craft.
    Bonds: I owe my clan a debt for forging me into the person I am today. One day I will return to my clan and prove that I am the greatest artisan of them all.
    Flaws: I am horribly jealous of anyone that can outshine my handiwork.
    Notes: Cleric of Moradin, descendant on his mother’s side of Durgeddin the Black. Homebrewed to exist in Faerun.
    I hope you enjoy, you've definitely helped fuel my inspiration to create more characters to fuel your inspiration to write amazing work.
    I don’t know if it’s intentional or if you’re aware, the name Flint Fireforge is a very, very well known name in the Dragonlance world/books. Not sure if that was intentional or not. So I decided to have some fun with it. Now while Flint Fireforge was, as I said, Dragonlance (which means another world – Kyrnn – entirely, I still thought it’d be fun to play up a “Flint Fireforge” who was famous on Faerûn to help up play the jealousy you mentioned).

As always would love to hear feedback!

This was admittedly, a bit fun to write, putting the character through frustration and feeding that insecurity....!
    Enjoy!
    ============================================

“Are you the Flint Fireforge?” Bourne Stormfire asked.

“Listen! Why does everyone keep asking me that?” Flint Fireforge asked, tugging at his fiery red beard in frustration. “I am a Flint Fireforge I don’t know if I am the Flint Fireforge you’re talking about.”

“Well, you’d know,” Bren Stonewall chimed in. “He was a great hero. Killed a dragon or two, he did!”

“Then no, I am not that Flint Fireforge,” Flint sighed, exasperated.

“Well, then did your parents name you after the great hero? If your last name’s Fireforge, you may be related,” Bourne clanked his well-worn mug against Bren’s. “We have not had someone of that caliber darken these doors, I dare say!”

“Well then you still haven’t,” Flint took a deep drink from his mug, “because if I am related to this ‘hero’ you speak of, neither one of my parents ever mentioned it.” Flint took another drink as Bourne and

“So you’re just another Fireforge,” Bren asked, trying to maintain his focus through his drunken blur.

Bren, wandered off to go speak with Mella Hillfall, a Hill Dwarf waitress at this run down tavern simply known as The Darkfury. The Darkfury sat right in the middle of a rundown town called Barrelfall. It was a small town that simply acted as a hub for people in need of a room after passing through the Greypeak Mountains.

Flint had hoped to come here and make a name for himself, hearing that there was no one around Barrelfall who was skilled with the forge. However, there was hardly a population of people at all in Barrelfall. Most of the male and female citizens of Barrelfall made their extra money by entertaining travelers that passed through.

Flint had spent his life trying to escape his Mountain Home far to the north, near Citadel Felbarr. His people always expected the greatest things out of him, and everyone someone learned his secret – that he was the son of Durgeddin – they all asked the same thing, “Where does your father keep the magic weapons he hoarded?”

So Flint went out to make a name for himself, escape his past that haunted him, being compared always to his father and the magic – legend states – that he had horded. Truth be told his father was out of the picture by the time Flint was just two years old. With no father figure, Flint had turned to the Church for guidance and found that in Moradin. But Flint had always wanted to be more; perhaps due to the teachings of Moradin, where his god sought his people to always improve upon himself. But now, in this barren town, Flint was finding himself compared to some hero he’d never heard of, who seemed to bare his same name.

He heaved a deep sigh and let his beard dip into his drink before realizing what was happening. He grumbled something beneath his breath and wrung out his beard. He reflected back on the other towns he had paid a visit to, and how he had seen others, like him, extremely skilled with the forge; and he admitted, perhaps because he had lived in the constant shadow of his father’s fame, that he felt that sting of jealousy. He had wanted to do something where people would mention his name in the tones of inspired awe.

Behind him, he heard Bourne and Bren, still talking to Mella Hillfall, and could not help but over hear them say, “Yeah, but he’s not that Flint Fireforge…”

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    I will send that check to you for saying these nice things!

So do you want a more serious or light hearted background?

The pleasure was mine! Thank you for allowing me to write it!

Will add it to the list!

I am a wee bit busy at work (just pulled a 52 hour week, and now I am going into the next week looking at roughly another 52 hour week!) So my writing time has been decimated! But I will continue to knock these out!
    I actually forgot I asked and rolled on xanathars for random fun:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...bles-are-crazy
    That's the link. But if you could do a serious novelization of all these weird facts as best you can, I'd be very appreciative.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Barbarian in the Playground

Awesome! I never thought of merging the character stories together. I would have been happy with one story. I hope it didn’t take a lot of your time to do but I appreciate all your hard work.
    Tawmis the storyteller I thank you.

I am going to try something a little interesting with your three submissions…
    You will probably quickly see what I did… And naturally, I would love to hear your thoughts.

=====================

My name is Alethia De’fore, and I have spent a life time trying to piece myself together. I am a Half-Elf, who as an infant, was found abandoned outside a cave. A small band of travelers seeking shelter from the coming rain storm had headed for the mountains and found me and took me in. Fortunately, one of the women, a human named Ryastone Everfall, had just had a child of her own not long ago, so she was able to breast feed me and keep me alive. Her husband, also a human, named Piotor Everfall had provided me food and furs, and together they adopted me into their family.

Throughout my teenage years, I never even considered that I looked different. The way my eyes had a slight slant, the way my ears were more pointed that my brother and sister. When I was old enough to be told the truth, I can’t explain it, but I felt betrayed. Hurt. Even though the Everfall family had nothing to do with abandoning me as an infant, I somehow misplaced my anger in them. That night I ran away; and since that night had been trying to find out who my parents were.

I had fallen in with a Thieves guild known as “The Undercurrent.” They had several mages working for them (providing a trade of service; to either steal magical items for them; or so that the Thieves could turn to the mages to get magical items identified). One of the Mages, a Half-Elf like myself, was able to find documentation from a female human that claimed she had escaped the clutches of the Drow, but that she lost her child as she escaped (forcing to leave her infant behind; which, she had been impregnated by a Drow). When I went to find this woman, I learned that she had returned to the caves to see if she could recover the infant. That was exactly eighteen years ago. My same age. I thanked the Half-Elf and returned to where the Drow cave entrance was supposedly and made my way down into the darkness. The further down I went the stranger things got; there were mushrooms taller than me; plants whose illumination pierced the darkness; I even encountered talking mushrooms of some kind that warned me to turn back; that they were guardians of a sinister secret down below. Still I pressed on, and soon found myself falling down a slippery slope for almost an hour, coming to a full stop in complete darkness. Thankfully, one of my torches also made its way down the slope and when I ignited it, I stood before a massive dark statue of what appeared to be a female elf, holding a wolf’s head before her. The statue stood nearly thirty feet tall and was composed of some form of metal or stone that was so completely black that it even seemed to absorb the light of my torch.

As soon as I ran my hand across it, my eyes rolled to the back of my head as I felt my life ebb away.

I was suddenly floating in the ethereal of complete darkness; there was no solid ground beneath me, above me, beside me, nothing. Crimson eyes suddenly appeared in the darkness. “You seek your mother,” a female voice boomed, echoing all around me, in deafening volumes.

“Who are you?” I stammered.

“Ellatorn Brokemane,” the voice boomed. “My soul is trapped in the Shadowfell. However, I can see everything. I can even see your mother.”

“She’s alive?”

“I did not say that, I merely said, I can see your mother. Bind your soul to me, become my weapon, and share your light with me, so that I can once again return to Faerûn.”

“You can show me my mother? What of my father? Is he truly a Drow?”

“Oh, he is indeed a Drow, and your mother a human.”

“Show him to me,” I said, “and my soul is yours.”

A vision appeared before me of a handsome Drow elf, with charcoal black skin and violet colored eyes.

Suddenly I felt as if I was being thrown back into my body.

My name is Kin Risha. I have spent my life manipulating people. I found I was quite skilled with telling lies and stories that others quickly believed. My mother sought to curb the behavior since such skills were not welcomed among the Drow community. It’s true, I am full blooded Drow. My people, my clan, were involved in a war that last several hundred years against The High Elves. As it turns out, a High Elf Priestess by the name of Ellatorn Brokenmane led her people into the caves to finally be rid of us. However, just as my people were about to win the war, Ellatorn turned to the darkest of magics, and resorted to Necromancy. She called upon an Evil God, and rose her people up from the dead. With no way to kill what is already dead, hundreds of my people were killed, before Ellatorn was finally stopped and captured. Rather than execute her, as we should have, we called upon our goddess, Lolth, to banish her soul to the Shadowfell, where her tainted soul will forever be corrupted by the darkness.

Her body was buried just outside of our home, a giant statue erected as a warning. In her hand, a wolf head; not as a symbol that she had killed a wolf, but that she was a wolf in sheep’s clothing. She had led her people, who believed in Light and Hope, and in that moment of desperation, was willing to sacrifice their souls to win the war. Now, I visit the statue, because the hatred I feel seeping from the statue inspires me to spin songs and stories about those of my people who died against a woman who was willing to sacrifice her people and her soul to win a fight, and still lose in the end.

Usually I arrive and sit there, and get inspired. But tonight something was different. I did not feel the same amount of soothing hatred, and that’s when I find an unconscious half-elf woman. I immediately tie her up and awaken her.

“What are you doing way down here?” I barked.

“My name is Alethia De’fore,” the Half-elf woman replied. “I am looking for my mother and father.”

“They’re not down here,” I sneered. “You’ve gotten yourself into trouble.”

“Look at me,” she said, “my skin! I am like you!”

“You’re nothing like me, cross breed,” I barked back. “I can smell the human on you.”

“It’s true, I am part human, but my father was a Drow, like you,” she snapped back.

“A Drow?” I titled her head back and laughed. “No Drow would lay with a human.”

“Not even if he had a slave,” she asked.

Now I was forced to be quiet. There had been some Drow who took pleasure in abusing their slaves; even sexually. “What’s your father’s name?”

The woman seemed to close her eyes and be muttering to someone as if an unseen ghost were nearby. She finally opened her eyes and said, “Scáth Risha.”

I dropped my lute. “You lie.”

“I swear it’s true,” she replied. “Do you know him?”

“He’s my father,” I growled. “Are you reading my mind?”

“No, I swear it. He had a human slave, who escaped eighteen years ago. She came back just recently looking for me. I need to see him. Or my mother. Please.”

Just as I was debating what to do with her, I heard my brother shouting, “Kin! It’s the Dwarves! They’re attacking again!”

My name is Drugar Ironguard, and I have protected my brother Bauren Ironguard all of his life. When we were born, I was born to fight. My older brother was born, thinner, frailer, and had no passion for weapons or forging. He brought, sadly, dishonor to our family clan until I came along. He spent his life studying the way of magic and how it worked, even as I studied how to shape metal and understand how it worked. He would show me a new spell he’s learned, I would show him a new weapon I had forged. But because he was my brother, I took an interest in his hobbies to better understand him, and I too began to learn to use magic. While nowhere near as good as my brother, I learned a good spell or two. My brother, one day, vanished for almost three years, and returned far more powerful than I could have imagined.

The great dishonor that he had brought on our family in his youth was immediately washed away. In our constant battle with the Drow Elves who have been a constant threat and enemy, he led became far more passionate about putting an end to them. My brother became one of the most trusted confidants to our King, King Stonebroke. He devised a plan to finally be rid of the Drow elves; and while he had the King’s ear, I was one of the King’s most trusted Warriors. I was never one to back down from a fight; as a matter of fact, I had spent most of my earlier years defending my brother from those who sought to hurt him; but this new vigor that my brother had for fighting… for war… was unsettling.

When we launched our attack against the Drow, a plan devised by my brother, that he assured King Stonebroke, would not fail because he had a “full proof plan” that he did not want to completely reveal in the event there were spies in his court.

It was no surprise, within hours, covered in blood; I could see the tide of the battle was turning against us. The Drow were capable Magic Users, something my kind rarely had stock in – except for my brother, who was standing in the front of the battle with bolts of energy and arrows barely missing him. I made my way to him and called for a retreat, but my brother demanded everyone to stand their ground.

And then I saw his master plan. He was raising the dead to fight for us. Not only Dwarves, but he was raising the Drow to fight against their own kind. I shouted to him to stop, but he could no longer hear me. In his madness, he was lost to the darkness, just like Ellatorn Brokenmane had been many years ago. Our family, after the war, which we were still forced to retreat from, had been spurned and forced away from our homes. My brother was lost somewhere in the battle. I don’t know if he lived or died.

My name is Kin Risha, and I have a Half-Elf prisoner named Alethia De’fore. My brother had warned me about the Dwarves attack – a fight we seemed to be winning until one of the Dwarves turned to Necromancy, and began raising the dead. I was cut off from my own people and forced to flee from the dead that were running rampant all over, killing Drow and Dwarf alike. I fled to the surface with my prisoner, assuming that death… or undeath… would claim my family below. Even from the surface cave, I swear I could still hear their screams…

6. - Top - End - #486

Quote Originally Posted by Whit View Post
    Awesome! I never thought of merging the character stories together. I would have been happy with one story. I hope it didn’t take a lot of your time to do but I appreciate all your hard work.
    Tawmis the storyteller I thank you.
    Thank you! I enjoy challenging myself - on top of giving myself only an hour to write these - but to kick it up a notch by trying to tie them to existing origins has always been a fun piece to do... but I had never tied multiple origins into one story from one request before! So this was a unique and fun experience!

7. - Top - End - #487
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

This one is kind of short... Maybe a little darker than you wanted for someone worshiping a Chaotic Good, goddess.
    It's short, because a part of her story ties to a previously written one, found here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=468
    Hope you enjoy! As always, looking for feedback!
    Enjoy!
    ==========================

Spoiler
    Show
    I have seen both darkness and light. I’ve seen both sides of the story, and know that somewhere in the middle lies the truth. My name is Mayidil Bawn'urden, and I grew up in Sundell, one of the many homes of the Drow down in the Underdark. As I grew up, I witness the things my people did, and today, understand the rest of the world’s hatred towards my people. I understand their scolding looks and why they spit in my direction as I pass by them. I understand the reason that many refuse to serve me and why many seek to instigate a fight with me.

I despised the way my people treated those from the surface. Whether it was to enslave them, abuse them, torture them, and those that were lucky, were simply outright killed. At a very young age, I ventured up to the surface world where I met a woman named Ellatorn Brokemane. She was an Elf, like me, but not a Drow. I confessed to her the things my people were doing and she begged me to help turn the tide. She asked me to fetch spellbooks that my people used that consisted of dark magic. She explained that if she hoped to win the fight she would have to sink down to level and power of my people. She promised those books would be destroyed after the fight was over.

For eight weeks, I made lousy reasons to excuse myself from my family, my friends, my life, to sneak information back to Ellatorn Brokemane. In exchange for this information, Ellatorn Brokemane turned me on to a Drow Goddess who welcomed those like me; who sought to return to the surface world once again and escape the madness of the Underdark; and that goddess was Eilistraee. Though I was a fighter by nature, everything about Eilistraee appealed to me. She taught the appreciation of dance and swordplay together, intertwining both the ability to fight, with a focus on how to be in tune with your body.

One day, Ellatorn Brokemane told me that she was ready to begin her assault on Sundell. She had warned me to get my family out of Sundell. So I returned to Sundell and tried to tell my family what was coming. I had lied to them and told them that I caught a surface dwelling spy who revealed this information to me, but my family insisted that they would defend themselves if the Surface World dared invade Sundell.

The attack came two hours sooner than Ellatorn Brokemane had told me; and it made me wonder, had she never intended to allow me and my family to escape the assault. When Ellatorn Brokemane and her forces entered, they were using the same dark magic my own kind used. I could see the infection in their eyes and their soul; and when the battle seemed to be turning against them, they did what I would have never imagined. They raised their own dead soldiers to press on and attack, turning the tide back in their favor.

I had no choice but to fight Ellatorn Brokemane and her forces and I had been the only one that was able to get close enough to her, using her trust in me, to bring her down. My people quickly descended upon her and captured her. Rather than kill her, my people did the same thing she had done. They used dark magic that separated her soul from her body, casting her soul into the Shadowfell, while her body was buried under a great statue made in the blackest of stone, to mark her black soul, and a warning to those who would ever come for my people again.

I left shortly after, returning once again to the surface world; after my brother and sister were found dead as a result of this war. On the surface world, I learned to adjust to my new way of living. And though my heart was full of love from Eilistraee, I still wondered if there might not be a way to return Ellatorn Brokemane’s soul back to her body, so that I might permanently kill her for her betrayal to me and my family…
    Wow... That did take a dark turn. I didn't expect her backstory to turn out like that, just wow I love it.

I don’t know if it’s intentional or if you’re aware, the name Flint Fireforge is a very, very well known name in the Dragonlance world/books. Not sure if that was intentional or not. So I decided to have some fun with it. Now while Flint Fireforge was, as I said, Dragonlance (which means another world – Kyrnn – entirely, I still thought it’d be fun to play up a “Flint Fireforge” who was famous on Faerûn to help up play the jealousy you mentioned).

As always would love to hear feedback!

This was admittedly, a bit fun to write, putting the character through frustration and feeding that insecurity....!
    Enjoy!
    Spoiler
    Show

“Are you the Flint Fireforge?” Bourne Stormfire asked.

“Listen! Why does everyone keep asking me that?” Flint Fireforge asked, tugging at his fiery red beard in frustration. “I am a Flint Fireforge I don’t know if I am the Flint Fireforge you’re talking about.”

“Well, you’d know,” Bren Stonewall chimed in. “He was a great hero. Killed a dragon or two, he did!”

“Then no, I am not that Flint Fireforge,” Flint sighed, exasperated.

“Well, then did your parents name you after the great hero? If your last name’s Fireforge, you may be related,” Bourne clanked his well-worn mug against Bren’s. “We have not had someone of that caliber darken these doors, I dare say!”

“Well then you still haven’t,” Flint took a deep drink from his mug, “because if I am related to this ‘hero’ you speak of, neither one of my parents ever mentioned it.” Flint took another drink as Bourne and

“So you’re just another Fireforge,” Bren asked, trying to maintain his focus through his drunken blur.

Bren, wandered off to go speak with Mella Hillfall, a Hill Dwarf waitress at this run down tavern simply known as The Darkfury. The Darkfury sat right in the middle of a rundown town called Barrelfall. It was a small town that simply acted as a hub for people in need of a room after passing through the Greypeak Mountains.

Flint had hoped to come here and make a name for himself, hearing that there was no one around Barrelfall who was skilled with the forge. However, there was hardly a population of people at all in Barrelfall. Most of the male and female citizens of Barrelfall made their extra money by entertaining travelers that passed through.

Flint had spent his life trying to escape his Mountain Home far to the north, near Citadel Felbarr. His people always expected the greatest things out of him, and everyone someone learned his secret – that he was the son of Durgeddin – they all asked the same thing, “Where does your father keep the magic weapons he hoarded?”

So Flint went out to make a name for himself, escape his past that haunted him, being compared always to his father and the magic – legend states – that he had horded. Truth be told his father was out of the picture by the time Flint was just two years old. With no father figure, Flint had turned to the Church for guidance and found that in Moradin. But Flint had always wanted to be more; perhaps due to the teachings of Moradin, where his god sought his people to always improve upon himself. But now, in this barren town, Flint was finding himself compared to some hero he’d never heard of, who seemed to bare his same name.

He heaved a deep sigh and let his beard dip into his drink before realizing what was happening. He grumbled something beneath his breath and wrung out his beard. He reflected back on the other towns he had paid a visit to, and how he had seen others, like him, extremely skilled with the forge; and he admitted, perhaps because he had lived in the constant shadow of his father’s fame, that he felt that sting of jealousy. He had wanted to do something where people would mention his name in the tones of inspired awe.

Behind him, he heard Bourne and Bren, still talking to Mella Hillfall, and could not help but over hear them say, “Yeah, but he’s not that Flint Fireforge…”
    The story is amazing, Flint's last name is Forgefire, I am aware of Flint Fireforge but didn't make the connection when the character became developed. I really like his name being Fireforge though, wow you did capture the essence of his character dead on. As always I am impressed good sir.

NEW! My wife came up with the idea of allowing folks to donate (THIS IS NOT REQUIRED!) should you want to - whether it be 50cents or a dollar - to our paypal account. If you DO choose to donate, please donate AFTER I've written your character's background! Fixed the link!
    Most definitely good sir. The time and effort you have put into your writing most definitely earns donations. Your wife is very smart, she sounds like a keeper.😁

8. - Top - End - #488
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Two more for you great sir, master of words.

1st
    Spoiler
    Show

Name: Caelynn Naílo
    Race: Half Elf
    Class: Bard (Lore)
    Background: Port City Noble
    Personality: Nobody stays angry at me or around me for long, I can defuse any situation. Nothing can shake my optimistic attitude. I'm a born gambler who can't resist taking a risk for a potential payoff. I know a story relevant to almost every situation.
    Ideals: I am a free spirit--no one tells me what to do. Friendship. Material goods come and go. Bonds of friendship last forever. Creativity. The world is in need of new ideas and bold action. Honesty. Art should reflect the soul; it should come from within and reveal who we really are.
    Bonds: I want to be famous, whatever it takes. I am in love with the heir of a family that my family despises.
    Flaws: A scandal prevents me from ever going home again. That kind of trouble seems to follow me around.
    Notes: She left her family in her home city, she is a half elf from either a Sun or Moon elf and human pairing? She is extremely bubbly and optimistic as possible. She purposely dyes her hair extreme colors to the dismay of her family. Her favorite instrument is a double necked Lute, and plays it similar to a modern rock style of obscene noise, but her voice is beautiful.

2nd
    Spoiler
    Show

Name: Tezir Grenavi
    Race: Variant Human (Rashemi)
    Class: Barbarian (Totem or Wild Soul?)
    Background: Barbarian Tribe Member
    Personality: I see omens in every event and action, my traditions speak of the spirits and Fey. I don't pay attention to the risks in a situation. Never tell me the odds. When I set my mind to something, I follow through no matter what gets in my way.
    Ideals: Freedom. Tyrants must not be allowed to oppress the people. Noble Obligation. It is my duty to protect and care for the people beneath me. Glory. I must earn glory in battle, for myself and my Lodge. Destiny. Nothing and no one can steer me away from my higher calling.
    Bonds: I idolize a hero of the old tales and measure my deeds against that person's. I protect those who cannot protect themselves.
    Flaws: I have a 'tell' that reveals when I'm lying. Once someone questions my courage, I never back down no matter how dangerous the situation.
    Notes: on his Dajemma, his coming of age journey. From the Black Bear Lodge. His mother gave him a resounding prophecy before going on his journey, before sending him on his journey.

As always I do hope you enjoy delving into the stories of my creations.

9. - Top - End - #489

Quote Originally Posted by moonfly7 View Post
    So, I had an idea in my first ever DND game where I played a ranger, if we had gotten to level 3 I would have asked the DM if I could have a skeleton companion for my beast master.
    Fast forward 3 years later to now, same DM. He has really loose rules on polymorph and wild shape, and I'm in his game, which is now level 7.
    We talk, and he agrees, I can have a skeleton companion for beast master ranger(revised) but we've worked out the rules so that if it dies, I need someone to cast animate dead if I want him back, otherwise I just get an animal that lives around the area I'm in.
    I'm thinking that the skellies a dead ranger, and it was guarding some old nature temple when me and my animal companion were attacked. My companion was killed, and the skeleton managed to save my life.
    Because he's bound to a skeleton, he's probably going to be hunted/shunned by most society and probably the beast conclave. Druids might even be hunting him, I don't know. But He doesn't care, he's a ranger, he's always been more or less unwelcome in society. Besides, he sees the skeleton as a fellow ranger, a fellow man of arms who he can trust with his life.
    I don't know the race of the character yet(maybe human, but I'm not sure) and I'd love to see what you do with this, thanks in advance.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...bles-are-crazy
    Ok. That list you rolled has way too many random things in it.
    It’d probably take me more than the hour I limit myself to tie everything you rolled into the background. So I am going to take some liberties with what you rolled to try and add some sense to the utter chaos of the rolls. Hopefully it still works out for you.
    I'd love to hear feedback! Sorry I wasn't able to squeeze in all the... unusual... rolls you rolled up.
    But this should get you started to finish off the rest.
    Enjoy!
    ==============================================

My father was a human and a mercenary, to be honest, from what I’ve been told. But from the stories I’ve heard from my grandfather, he was unlike any human he’d seen before. My father was a Paladin of the Order of Eternal Truth; an organization that often worked for profit, to help build their churches in the main cities, to bring the word of their gods to the ears of those who would listen.

When my father stumbled upon my grandfather’s tribe; the Kala’zar Clan, he learned that my grandfather’s daughter – my mother – had been abducted by a group of Ogres who shared the swamp with my mother’s side. That’s right. The swamp. If it wasn’t immediately clear, half of my bloodline comes from the Lizardfolk of the Kala’zar Clan.

That’s right. You’re hearing the story correctly. My father was a human Paladin and my mother a Druid Priestess, Lizardfolk of the Kala’zar Clan. My father, Morak Havenblade agreed to help my grandfather in attempting to rescue my mother from the clutches of the Ogres. My Grandfather believed that the Ogres had wanted to gain the secrets of magic from my mother; to essentially speak with animals and lure them into traps, to easily capture and devour them.

My father fought his way through a den of Ogres and reached my mother, where, much to his surprise; he had caught his breath. My mother, from what I am told, was stunningly beautiful. Her scales were a soft green color, but her eyes were almost human like. She wore an elegant headdress that marked her the daughter of the Chieftan, whose plumes were said to be a mixture of Pegasus and Cockatrice feathers.

It was there, in the Swamp of Endless Sorrow, that my father gazed upon my mother, and found endless amounts of love. He had brought her back to my grandfather, but surprised her father, and her tribe, by proclaiming that she had chosen the one to take her hand – and she chose my father. My grandfather protested it, but he knew, in the end, he would break to his daughter’s will, just as he had always done. For all his strength, muscle and might, he was infinitely weak when staring into his daughter’s eyes.

Out of respect for my grandfather, my father, Morak, built a large home at the edge of the swamp, so that my mother would never be far from her people. After a short year of living together, she had sensed life in her, and announced that she would be giving birth. When I was born, I was the sole one born of my mother; which, among Lizardfolk, is not entirely uncommon, as they give live birth and do not lay eggs, similar to an assortment of known “lizards” in nature.

However, just after my birth, my mother perished. My grandfather blamed my father, and the unnatural mating of human and Lizardfolk, and as a result of my grandfather’s words, or that my father’s heart was already broken by the demise of my mother, my father perished a few short weeks after my birth. My grandfather took me from the mansion at the edge of the swamp and raised me as his own; perhaps because, despite my mixed blood, he saw pieces of his daughter in me.

By the age of sixteen, I was already exhibiting the same powers as my mother, in being able to speak with animals and understand the very sounds of nature around me. However, where my mother was more passive, perhaps because of the reckless behavior of humans, I was more aggressive, taking on the role of explorer and more of a Ranger than a simple Druid.

By the age of eighteen, I told my grandfather I wanted to see the mansion I had been born in. In eighteen years, the swamp had already begun the process of reclaiming the land. Vines wrapped around the house, through windows and doors, as if attempting to hide it from view. It had already sunk several feet into the swamp near the back, and Kobolds and Stirges, both of which I was forced to drive out, had taken up residence and ruined the interior even further.

In the basement, now flooded by murky waters, I found evidence that the Kobolds had been trying to summon up some form of demon, by the looks of it. A water logged Wizard’s book I found upstairs, seemed to detail what was required; but neither myself, nor the Kobolds it seemed, were capable of deciphering the books. Undoubtedly, they had hoped to summon a demon of some kind, that they believed would serve them, and they could take over the Ogres and my people, and claim the Swamp of Endless Sorrow, as their own domain.

Though my grandfather had taught me some Common, it was much easier to speak it than read it. I found volumes of my father’s books that detailed some of his Holy Missions across the land, which inspired me to try my own hand in the world beyond the swamp.

I found a city called Silvervale, which I managed to join the garrison there; but because of my race, the other guards did everything they could to exclude me. When I walked into the same room, they would suddenly silence themselves making me feel uncomfortable. After a brief battle with Ogres, where I was wounded, I left the garrison and left Silvervale.

As the city gates closed behind me, I wondered what the world had to offer me…
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2019-09-19 at 01:57 AM.

10. - Top - End - #490

So looks like this is the queue currently...

(Please don't forget Vippy.)
    I know You're super busy, so relax and have fun.

Xidus Bamwar
    Hill Giant Chief
    His small Tribe recently killed by a band of heartless Adventurers, and himself only spared to fullfil the technicality of a contract, he now revenge !!

Azo Redeemer of Men
    Gold Dragon Wyrmling
    The self appointed secret protector of a small mining town. Able to change his shape, but only into a Squirrel, a Finch, and an Otter.
    Flaw: is always Gold Colored.
    New: Able to become a (male) Halfling with bright Gold Eyes.
    Followed by:

So I had another character I was wondering if you could think a backstory for. This either a challenge or super easy, based on how well you deal with vagueness.
    Race: Tiefling
    Name: Haven't decided yet but I plan a Virtue name, whichever of these three you can fit most easily as part of the background: Silence, Defiance, or Tact. Or you can pick a different Virtue.
    Class: Warlock/Fighter? Not 100% He is supposed to be an archer with a demonic familiar, sort of shadowy themed.
    Background: Haunted One or Folk Hero
    Concept: The main concept of this character is to be sort of a demonic version of a ranger, pact of the chain familiar rather than an animal companion, uses a lot of darkness based spells. I feel like he is a generally nice guy, helping the little people, but has had of lot of bad things happen in his past, either to him or by him.
    Ideas:
    Based on the virtue names I had a few ideas that might help, but feel free to ignore these if you can think of anything better.
    Silence: He could have been an assassin/spy and later was betrayed, or chose to leave his employers.
    Defiance: He could have been a slave or something, and decided to fight back for freedom.
    Tact: He could just be very tactful in his speaking, and he used his silver tongue to gain powers from his warlock patron, then they got upset with him, or something.
    I don't really know, I good at thinking up characters but I'm bad at deciding details.
    And then...
    Two more for you great sir, master of words.

1st
    Spoiler
    Show

Personality: Nobody stays angry at me or around me for long, I can defuse any situation. Nothing can shake my optimistic attitude. I'm a born gambler who can't resist taking a risk for a potential payoff. I know a story relevant to almost every situation.
    Ideals: I am a free spirit--no one tells me what to do. Friendship. Material goods come and go. Bonds of friendship last forever. Creativity. The world is in need of new ideas and bold action. Honesty. Art should reflect the soul; it should come from within and reveal who we really are.
    Bonds: I want to be famous, whatever it takes. I am in love with the heir of a family that my family despises.
    Notes: She left her family in her home city, she is a half elf from either a Sun or Moon elf and human pairing? She is extremely bubbly and optimistic as possible. She purposely dyes her hair extreme colors to the dismay of her family. Her favorite instrument is a double necked Lute, and plays it similar to a modern rock style of obscene noise, but her voice is beautiful.

2nd
    Spoiler
    Show

Personality: I see omens in every event and action, my traditions speak of the spirits and Fey. I don't pay attention to the risks in a situation. Never tell me the odds. When I set my mind to something, I follow through no matter what gets in my way.
    Ideals: Freedom. Tyrants must not be allowed to oppress the people. Noble Obligation. It is my duty to protect and care for the people beneath me. Glory. I must earn glory in battle, for myself and my Lodge. Destiny. Nothing and no one can steer me away from my higher calling.
    Bonds: I idolize a hero of the old tales and measure my deeds against that person's. I protect those who cannot protect themselves.
    Flaws: I have a 'tell' that reveals when I'm lying. Once someone questions my courage, I never back down no matter how dangerous the situation.
    Notes: on his Dajemma, his coming of age journey. From the Black Bear Lodge. His mother gave him a resounding prophecy before going on his journey, before sending him on his journey.

Wow... That did take a dark turn. I didn't expect her backstory to turn out like that, just wow I love it.
    Yeah, I had not originally meant it to go dark... until the idea of connecting it to the other story came about... and I thought it would be an interesting twist... someone who is good in their heart, still tainted by the idea of revenge...

The story is amazing, Flint's last name is Forgefire, I am aware of Flint Fireforge but didn't make the connection when the character became developed. I really like his name being Fireforge though, wow you did capture the essence of his character dead on. As always I am impressed good sir.
    As I said, I wasn't too sure if I was going to be close; but the name begged to tell a more lighter, funner tale, especially since the other one was a wee bit on the dark side!

Most definitely good sir. The time and effort you have put into your writing most definitely earns donations. Your wife is very smart, she sounds like a keeper.😁
    Thank you for the VERY generous donation, sir! I truly do appreciate it! (Sent a screenshot to my wife about what you had said! She now says she's my "Acting Manager"...)
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2019-09-19 at 02:09 AM.

11. - Top - End - #491

Race: Tiefling
    Name: Haven't decided yet but I plan a Virtue name, whichever of these three you can fit most easily as part of the background: Silence, Defiance, or Tact. Or you can pick a different Virtue.
    Class: Warlock/Fighter? Not 100% He is supposed to be an archer with a demonic familiar, sort of shadowy themed.
    Background: Haunted One or Folk Hero
    Concept: The main concept of this character is to be sort of a demonic version of a ranger, pact of the chain familiar rather than an animal companion, uses a lot of darkness based spells. I feel like he is a generally nice guy, helping the little people, but has had of lot of bad things happen in his past, either to him or by him.
    Ideas:
    Based on the virtue names I had a few ideas that might help, but feel free to ignore these if you can think of anything better.
    Silence: He could have been an assassin/spy and later was betrayed, or chose to leave his employers.
    Defiance: He could have been a slave or something, and decided to fight back for freedom.
    Tact: He could just be very tactful in his speaking, and he used his silver tongue to gain powers from his warlock patron, then they got upset with him, or something.
    I don't really know, I good at thinking up characters but I'm bad at deciding details.
    This wasn't as much of a challenge as I thought it would be...
    Using what you provided (mostly about being a Fighter/Warlock... with a demonic "animal"...) the gates opened up...
    On how you could be demonic in nature (with a demonic like pet) and also still have a pet like a ranger... though being a Fighter/Warlock.
    You could even change the "demonic pet" I selected for you into a Hell Hound or something similar if that's more fitting for what you had in mind... but I thought what I picked really fit with the Warlock side of things!
    As always, I'd love to hear feedback!
    Enjoy!

I have lived my entire life fighting the evils that roam this world. Despite every effort I’ve made to save the lives of those who are good and innocent, people can never see past the cover of which my story is; and that is, that I am a Tiefling, so my appearance is demonic in nature, which invokes a feeling of distrust, even from those whom I have just saved. Being a Tiefling means that somewhere in my bloodline there is demonic influence that has tainted and waited for this moment to spring forward and birth a being that looks more demon than man.

Because of that resistance to who and what I look like, I have adopted the name Defiance; perhaps because I never had a true name of my own. From what I have discovered about my own past, my parents, both human, were killed by their fellow villagers. When the mid-wife delivered my mother’s baby, she immediately dropped me and screamed. My father leaned over to see me, and saw my demonic appearance and knew that he and his wife were doomed. My father quickly scooped me up, and ran to the nearby river and placed me on a small log. It’s unclear if he was hoping I would die, or trying to save my life; but by the time he returned home, the villagers had gathered, with the mid-wife explaining what she’d seen. My mother was dragged out of bed, my father strung up. My mother was forced to watch my father hang, since he claimed he had made a pact with a demon, in hopes of having a healthy child, as my mother had had four failed births in the past. I could never find evidence that it was true that my father made such a deal. He may have been trying to save my mother. But my mother died a few short hours later, from bleeding out from an internal wound, said to have been inflicted by one of the horns on my head.

As an infant, I was found by a farmer, further down the river, who took me in and brought me to the Church to see what should be done. The Church took me in and raised me, to see if it is true that an infant, who is not raised around evil, can be raised to be good; despite their appearance. The Church raised me and were kind to me; but other orphans still tended to stay away from me, despite the Church’s insistence that the children interact with me.

When I was old enough, I thanked the Church and ventured into the world on my own. Something the Church had not prepared me for was the world outside. Having been raised by the Church, my life had been a sheltered one; and it was a band of mercenaries who came upon me, fighting against several goblins, and took me in and taught me how to fight.

When I learned what they were doing, harassing nearby towns, rather than “protecting” them as they had told me, I turned on the leader and informed the nearby town’s local militia where the mercenary hide out in the hills was. The militia came and decimated the mercenaries and thanked me.

And this is where my story took an unexpected twist. As I was leaving the town, cutting through the very hills the mercenaries had made their home; I saw a wagon being attacked by Bugbears. I quickly rushed to their aid; but they were stronger than me, and one blow to the back of my head sent me spinning into darkness.

I had thought I had merely been knocked unconscious; but in hindsight I wonder if I had been killed. In the darkness, a fiery light appeared, and my very soul seemed to be seared by fire. When my eyes flew open, there was a Balor demon, sitting on a throne, and his rumbling voice sounded like fire crackling on dry wood, “My son, it is good to see you.”

I knew now, this was the demon who somehow influenced my bloodline. “What do you want?” I spat back, realizing I was suddenly in chains, my arms pulled behind my back, a chain around my neck, pulling me painfully forward.

“I wish to make a pact with you,” he laughed.

“I refuse,” I growled before even listening.

“That would be unwise, because that would leave your soul here with me,” his smile was like a fire spreading across the woodlands.

“What is this pact then?” I hissed.

“You are to collect the souls of vile individuals,” he explained. “Something you were already doing.”

“Why would I do this for you?” I snapped back.

“Because otherwise you stay, chained up there, never to die, all eternity, feeling your bones and flesh being pulled apart, but never to be sundered,” he explained. “As for the why, before you even ask, there is a War In Hell happening now. These souls you take will be absorbed by him,” his hand gestured to a Quasit sitting next to him. “You feed him souls, they come to me, I make them a part of my army, and use them as soldiers.”

He smiled, “Don’t worry, the Quasit is able to polymorph into anything; allowing you to move freely upon the world without anyone suspecting the truth – that you serve a demon. Do you accept?”

I closed my eyes; I would serve him for now; but I would find a way to break free.

“I do,” I said.

“Good,” he laughed, and stood and touched my forehead. I felt my soul rip in half, and a portion of his enter mine. “Now we’re bonded. A piece of my magic is now yours to command, Warlock.”

I felt my soul, my flesh, everything shredded apart then opened my eyes again, to be next to the caravan. The people I had come to help, all dead, and the bugbears now long gone.

They would be the first souls I would feed this damn Quasit…
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2019-09-21 at 12:40 PM.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

They would be the first souls I would feed this damn Quasit…
    I just love this line, I laughed when I read it. I'm glad to hear it wasn't too much of a challenge, and I love the whole story you wrote up, it gives a good sense of how he is a nice guy but is stereotyped against. The soul feeding to the Quasit is a fun mechanic I could try to implement into the game, it gives a very clear and simple goal for my character. Good Job!

As for the Balor demon, was there a specific one that you had in mind, or is it to just be a nameless entity?

13. - Top - End - #493

I just love this line, I laughed when I read it. I'm glad to hear it wasn't too much of a challenge, and I love the whole story you wrote up, it gives a good sense of how he is a nice guy but is stereotyped against. The soul feeding to the Quasit is a fun mechanic I could try to implement into the game, it gives a very clear and simple goal for my character. Good Job!
    As for the Balor demon, was there a specific one that you had in mind, or is it to just be a nameless entity?
    If I were to name said Balor demon, it would be Bar'garius. (Not that it's required, but I've used Bar'garius, as a demon lord type, in many other backstories I've written in this thread, with the idea that Bar'garius is operating on many different levels, pulling a thousand strings to reach his end goal... whatever the DM wants that to be, should they incorporate Bar'garius into their game). But sometimes, I like to leave it open, for the player, or the DM to work in, and change as they need.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

If I were to name said Balor demon, it would be Bar'garius. (Not that it's required, but I've used Bar'garius, as a demon lord type, in many other backstories I've written in this thread, with the idea that Bar'garius is operating on many different levels, pulling a thousand strings to reach his end goal... whatever the DM wants that to be, should they incorporate Bar'garius into their game). But sometimes, I like to leave it open, for the player, or the DM to work in, and change as they need.
    I was reading through some of the Tawmis-Verse in this thread, looking for hints about Bar'garius, finding tid-bits here and there. I was wondering if you would ever end up writing a few backstories about your Tawmis-Verse recurring characters, Bar'garius, Emereth, the Red Eye Clan. I think it would be cool to know their motives, backgrounds and such.

15. - Top - End - #495

I was reading through some of the Tawmis-Verse in this thread, looking for hints about Bar'garius, finding tid-bits here and there. I was wondering if you would ever end up writing a few backstories about your Tawmis-Verse recurring characters, Bar'garius, Emereth, the Red Eye Clan. I think it would be cool to know their motives, backgrounds and such.
    Emereth has the longest history with me. I created her for one of my very first original D&D campaigns (back in the early 80's). She then made it to the (short lived) Dragonlance game I ran for a short while, then back into my regular homebrew games. I've used her as a reference for several of my own character backgrounds (to inject her in other people's worlds if they cared enough to use her; only one DM so far, ever hinted at her existence in his campaign when our party was investigating something). She continues to appear in my current campaigns.

Bar'garius was another demon, I frequently used in my own campaigns; but most recently "evolved" into a demon in my world called Belaros. He's appeared quite a bit in recent campaigns, and was even tied directly to one of the players.

The Red Eye Clan was made up strictly for these backgrounds (though loosely based on a tribe of orcs I made up called The Broken Hand from my campaign. The Broken Hand is another one that's been in my campaign forever. They were (obviously) back in the day, very much influenced by the Orcs from the original "The Hobbit" / "Return of the King" cartoons (even their appearance, despite what the D&D books had them looking like). They've long since evolved to be, loyal followers of their god, and haters of elves. The Red Eye Clan is very different, in that there's different factions, with different agendas, some that follow their god, some that follow demons; and as I've written these, I thought about how it might be cool if the "Shamans" of these Red Eye Orcs have approval from their deity to make deals with demons to grant them additional powers, all in the name of their god's glory.

But writing a "definitive" Tawmis-Verse version of these might be kind of fun to do in this thread.

16. - Top - End - #496

Xidus Bamwar
    Hill Giant Chief
    His small Tribe recently killed by a band of heartless Adventurers, and himself only spared to fullfil the technicality of a contract, he now revenge !!
    I got the details from you; that the contract was relocate or die...
    I did both; and did some development of Xidus Bamwar and why he would want revenge...
    More than just the fact that his people were killed... I made it more personal for him.
    Also, I wasn't sure if you were wanting these in a specific location or a specific band of heroes/from a specific location...
    But I looked at the Forgotten Realms map (since I know your campaigns are a variation of the Forgotten Realms)...
    And selected a location that made sense to me...
    But locations can easily be changed to fit what you need.
    Since he's an NPC I didn't dive too deep into a ton of dialogue and such; just giving a focused reason for the way he is the way he is.
    As always, I look forward to any feedback you might have!
    Enjoy!
    ================================================== =

The Greyguard, a Hill Giant tribe living in the rolling hills of the Greycloak Hills had lived a long and fulfilled life. They preyed primarily on those who traveled west of Anauroch’s endless sands, coming between the Greycloak Hills and Evereska.

Xidus Bamwar was a powerful leader; no wiser than any other Hill Giant but he earned the respect of the clan and became their Warchief because of his fearlessness. Xidus Bamwar had led several successful raids on passing caravans, earning the tribe an assortment of exotic treasures and slaves. This had gone on for years, earning Xidus Bamwar the love and appreciation of his people, earning him an assortment of mates, fathering many children.

One of his youngest, Volum Bamwar, often questioned his father why they would attack other humanoids, and Xidus explained, each time, that the giants were on a higher order than regular humanoids; that the ordning permitted them to do this, as a social status.

Xidus and his tribe attacked passing caravans one too many times, however; during one of their attacks on a caravan of gypsies leaving Anauroch and headed for Neverwinter, several of the gypsies had managed to escape. For days wandered directionless until they arrived in Parnast to the north where they reported the attacks made by the Hill Giants.

News reached Llorkh, a town on the verge of rebuilding itself again, and not so long ago suffered a decimating attack by Stone Giants. News rapidly traveled west to Daggerford, run by Duchess Morwen Daggerford. She immediately hired a group of mercenaries to travel to the Greycloak Hills and remove the Hill Giants.

The mercenary crew, simply known as The Blade’s Alliance, quickly rode out to the Greycloak Hills and located the Greyguard Hill Giants. Knowing that the Hill Giants had strength and power over the Blade’s Alliance, their leader, a Half-Elf Ranger named Fourd Foxfire, knew their best opportunity of attack would be at night. Moving quietly, the Blade’s Alliance struck ruthlessly, slitting throats before one of the giants awoke. A fight broke out, and by the time Xidus Bamwar saw the decimated tribe, dozens dead before the fight ever started, including his youngest son, Volum, Xidus demanded to know what Fourd and the others wanted.

Fourd explained that the Hill Giants were to cease their attacks, and apologized for those that had to die; but he knew that only a show of force would earn the attention and respect of the Hill Giants. Xidus Bamwar agreed to take the surviving members of the Greyguard and relocate far to the south, in a less populated area of The Far Hills, just south of the Sunset Mountains.

For two years, Xidus Bamwar led a more peaceful life, capturing and killing wildlife around the Far Hills, with minimal interaction with humanoids. His people prospered, but in the mind of Xidus Bamwar, he could never erase the visage of his youngest son, throat slit; nor could he erase the visage that the Blade’s Alliance wore on their tabards; the symbol of Daggerford…

17. - Top - End - #497

BlackDragon

@Tawmis: Most Excellent !!

I left the exact details vague on purpose, because with me telling everyone that my game is a Modified FR World, I had indeed assumed that you would use that, and I didn't want to limit your creativity with the story.

The Blade’s Alliance is a nice comparison to the "(Flower) Brigade" the PCs* had created, although the fight was more classic up-front Murder-Hobo/ing Adults (and not involving offspring), until they got to the (then Un-named) Chief, who they spared to see if by doing so there was less of a chance of another 'tribe' of (Hill) Giants just moving in and raiding the caravans going through the Mountains.

The killing of Volum does indeed give Xidus a lot more personal reasons to want revenge against the Brigade, if not all Adventurers. Your having him move south of the Desert can put him close to the Sat Group, which will make for some interesting (if only to me) crossover interactions.

With Xidus perhaps having to accept the "servitude" of some of the Lesser Races (Monstrous Humanoids, exact type/s to be rolled randomly) and I'll ponder exact Tactical Plots for him returning to deliver his "message".

* I also didn't remember to include any information on Race/Class of PC/s or Party Composition.
    Partly because I don't really have permission to do so from any of the Players.
    And also because you didn't ask, but did return here and responded to your inquiring PM.

I await the next installment of the stories of the other two Characters.

The exploits of Azo: Redeemer of Men a (male) Gold Dragon wyrmling who wants to be a Hero, but has been told by Father to keep hidden and be secretive....

And
    Vippy's extended Adventures getting to Skullport, and then from there through three levels of Undermountain up to the Sewer Level of Waterdeep, where she (already has) meets with the Party.
    Q: Do you have a location for Silverstream's Lair?
    Like the name of the Region or nearest FR town?
    (I PMed you an Atlas link, which can also be found edited into the first post of Ancient Realms)
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-09-26 at 09:18 AM.
    My Knowledge, Understanding, and Opinion on things can be changed
    No offense is intended by anything I post.
    *Limited Playtest Group - I'm mostly Stuck in the White Room.
    *I am learning valuable things, here. So thanks, everyone!

18. - Top - End - #498

@Tawmis: Most Excellent !!
    Thank ye, good sir.

I left the exact details vague on purpose, because with me telling everyone that my game is a Modified FR World, I had indeed assumed that you would use that, and I didn't want to limit your creativity with the story.
    I don't mind more details. If there's a ton of details, I do try to work everything in. Doesn't always happen, but I will certainly give it the good ol' college try. There are times I leave things a little open and vague in my writing, for the DM to explore. Like leading someone somewhere with a story; but then leaving it open for the DM and/or player to expand upon. Sort of like what I did for Vippy, for you. I left her leaving to go explore something, so that you or the player could go with whatever you wanted. But provided enough based on what you'd given me, to feed the fire.

The Blade’s Alliance is a nice comparison to the "(Flower) Brigade" the PCs* had created, although the fight was more classic up-front Murder-Hobo/ing Adults (and not involving offspring), until they got to the (then Un-named) Chief, who they spared to see if by doing so there was less of a chance of another 'tribe' of (Hill) Giants just moving in and raiding the caravans going through the Mountains.
    Hah, interesting that both names came out to be similar. Noun + "Team" of some kind (Brigade/Alliance).

The killing of Volum does indeed give Xidus a lot more personal reasons to want revenge against the Brigade, if not all Adventurers. Your having him move south of the Desert can put him close to the Sat Group, which will make for some interesting (if only to me) crossover interactions.
    With Xidus perhaps having to accept the "servitude" of some of the Lesser Races (Monstrous Humanoids, exact type/s to be rolled randomly) and I'll ponder exact Tactical Plots for him returning to deliver his "message".
    * I also didn't remember to include any information on Race/Class of PC/s or Party Composition. Partly because I don't really have permission to do so from any of the Players.
    And also because you didn't ask, but did return here and responded to your inquiring PM.
    I always feel like personal tragedy ties it in more.

I await the next installment of the stories of the other two Characters.
    The exploits of Azo: Redeemer of Men a (male) Gold Dragon wyrmling who wants to be a Hero, but has been told by Father to keep hidden and be secretive....
    I have some ideas for this one!

Vippy's extended Adventures getting to Skullport, and then from there through three levels of Undermountain up to the Sewer Level of Waterdeep, where she (already has) meets with the Party.
    Q: Do you have a location for Silverstream's Lair?
    Like the name of the Region or nearest FR town?
    (I PMed you an Atlas link, which can also be found edited into the first post of Ancient Realms)
    Just out of curiosity - what do you want from Vippy?
    Isn't there a player already playing her now?
    And for Silverstream, I don't think I even looked at the Forgotten Realms map when I wrote it; so that can be where ever it works best for you.
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2019-09-26 at 02:25 PM.

19. - Top - End - #499

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis
    Thank ye, good sir.
    Your welcome.

I don't mind more details. If there's a ton of details, I do try to work everything in. Doesn't always happen, but I will certainly give it the good ol' college try. There are times I leave things a little open and vague in my writing, for the DM to explore. Like leading someone somewhere with a story; but then leaving it open for the DM and/or player to expand upon. Sort of like what I did for Vippy, for you. I left her leaving to go explore something, so that you or the player could go with whatever you wanted. But provided enough based on what you'd given me, to feed the fire.
    It is an interesting combination of Balance and Blend that you do.
    Once you get enough of the Book/Series that your writing up done* - maybe you could make a few Modules to share. (* and please don't obsess with it being perfect before publishing, I love my favorite - now - Famous Authors Piers Anthony: because he put a lot of thought and detail into the World of Xanth (with tasteful Pun-ing); and especially Jim Butcher because he wrote what he liked - and wasn't afraid to just put pen to paper, and the series shows improvement in both the style he writes in, and also character development that feels natural.)

Hah, interesting that both names came out to be similar. Noun + "Team" of some kind (Brigade/Alliance).
    Most interesting, indeed.

I always feel like personal tragedy ties it in more.
    Sure, but not every Villain has to have that to 'justify' being the Evil a**hat.
    Just a comment, something to keep in mind.

I have some ideas for this one!
    *Forces self to wait patiently*

Just out of curiosity - what do you want from Vippy?
    Isn't there a player already playing her now?
    And for Silverstream, I don't think I even looked at the Forgotten Realms map when I wrote it; so that can be where ever it works best for you.
    PMed ya, and got response. Also responded in Ancient Realms.
    Thanks for joining me there!

*re-Lurks*
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-09-27 at 02:06 AM.

20. - Top - End - #500

Azo Redeemer of Men
    Gold Dragon Wyrmling
    The self appointed secret protector of a small mining town. Able to change his shape, but only into a Squirrel, a Finch, and an Otter.
    Flaw: is always Gold Colored.
    New: Able to become a (male) Halfling with bright Gold Eyes.
    This was enjoyable to write... Had some fun with the idea... Wasn't sure what mining town you had in mind, and you had mentioned staying away from the Swordcoast in one of your posts... So I picked a place far to the East of it... and where a Golden Dragon might call home... Naturally, there's a bit of tragedy in this story... but it's to explain the father's view on humans, and why Azo should stay away from them (which you hadn't mentioned, but I thought would add some flavor to Azo in his "mortal guise")...
    As always, change what's needed (the name of his mortal guise is a combo of me and my wife's Halfling Characters from EverQuest)...
    I'd love to hear feedback!
    Enjoy!
    =================================
    “We must not meddle in the affair of mortal,” Aurum said, his golden scales reflecting on the setting sun, as his gaze looked down at Parnast, a village that sat in the wild frontier, just east of the Greypeak Mountains.

Azo, Aurum’s youngest and only offspring looked up at his father. “Why?”

“Because many mortals are driven by greed,” Aurum explained, matter-of-factly. “I wish I could say otherwise,” he said turning to face his son. His heart ached and bled, because it had been mortals, bandits, who had tricked, trapped and killed Aurum’s mate and Azo’s mother, Aurelian. Aurum knew not all humans were like the murderous bandits who had lured his mate, but he was not willing to take that chance with Azo. “Stay away from them,” he said gruffly, trying to push down the memory of his mate, murdered and cut open, which still burned fresh in his mind.

Azo sighed. He understood his father’s warning and why his father urged him to stay away from mortals. Azo, though he missed his mother greatly, never blamed all humans for the actions of the few murderous bandits. Aurum cranked his neck, his neck sparkling just as the final rays of sunlight died behind the horizon, “Stay here. Stay away from the humans. There is urgent business that I, and other Elderly Dragons must attend to. Promise me you will stay away.”

“Of course,” Azo nodded, but his eyes drifted from his father, down the Parnast.

As the full moon rose, in her eternal effort to chase down the sun, Aurum took to the skies, his mind solely on his son’s wellbeing.

Azo, however, was already thinking about the mortals. If the problem had been that the mortals would attack him for being a dragon; then the answer was to not be a dragon. For the next several days, Azo attempted to polymorph himself into something else. He had managed to change into a squirrel, a finch, even an otter – but there was a problem. Each one of those forums were gold in color; something that would undoubtedly attract human attention and lead to his capture.

What if he could be a mortal? Or at least look like one? Several nights were spent practicing, until finally he had polymorphed himself into a young Halfling. The gold reflected in his eyes marked his identity, but by every other aspect, Azo had looked like a normal halfling. He took to traveling down the mountain side and adopted the name of “Morobunce Goldendaisy.” He spent his days in Parnast, interacting with other mortals, and learning from them. The times he knew his father would be returning, he would leave, resume his form up in the Greypeak Mountains.

Years passed, and he became a bit of a celebrity in his mortal guise in Parnast. People wondered where Morobunce Goldendaisy would disappear for days, sometimes weeks on end. And when he returned, he always elaborated on some exciting tale to explain his disappearances which made him more and more of a celebrity. His father, Aurum, never learned the truth and soon left his son to be on his own.

Azo never stopped caring about mortals and was always excited to take on his “Morobunce Goldendaisy” form whenever he could.

21. - Top - End - #501

BlackDragon

“Morobunce Goldendaisy”
    Perfect!!

Once again, only a few details to change, but very awesome.
    Thanks.

Spoiler: small mining town
    Show

actually was the hint.

it is indeed Phandalin
    Now expanded with Icespire Mountain.

Sorry, I have like three games a week now.
    these are posted in Ancient Realms, some need to be updated.

The Sat game is Phandalin
    Azo is here.

The Wed game is in the new Location for Geoff
    Xidus is from here.

The Thr games switches between SW and Hunting Xanathar.
    Which is where Vippy was found
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-09-29 at 03:27 AM.

22. - Top - End - #502

1st
    I think my favorite part of writing this was explaining the dual neck for the lute.
    As I was writing her - I stepped into her spunky side, because I had written her father's personality...
    So that combined with her personality traits you wanted...
    It just bloomed.
    The rest I think came out all right as well.
    Although at one point, the POV writing changed - but I think I caught that (writing at work, someone side tracked me so POV randomly changed!)
    Hopefully I caught all of them.
    ===================================

My name is Caelynn Naílo and I come from a split bloodline. My mother was a Moon Elf, my father a human, who had been rescued by her. My father had been running from a small band of human marauders who had killed his horse. My mother, Sailatin Greenmeadow had used her lethal accuracy with a bow and arrow to kill three marauders before any of their bodies had hit the ground. With three dead in the blink of an eye, the others quickly turned and fled. My mother came down from the tree which she had been hiding from and introduced herself. My father, a human named Bauren Naílo, had been wounded in their attack, and my mother tended to his wounds.

That should have been the end of it, but my father returned, once a month to the same spot, calling for my mother. One day, she finally came out of hiding and told him that he must not return. But my father did not listen. Each month, he returned, called for her and she finally came down. He explained that he could never thank her enough for saving his life and that’s when he proposed to her.

My mother declined at first; but still, my father returned, once again, every month, down on one knee. Flattered by his determination she finally accepted, but their wedding was in private. And their love finally explored, I was born into the world. My birth however caused fury in my mother’s family, since they had not known she’d been seeing a human in secrecy.

My mother left her family, and she and my father took to living in the woods. As I grew, I seemed to take the best of both of my parents. My father’s determination and romantic nature, led me to learning to write poetry and song; while my mother’s side provided me the beauty and grace of her elven blood. My father, ever the optimistic would tell me the stories of how his determination won over my mother’s heart. That unbreakable determination and optimism definitely coursed through my blood, just as my father’s silver tongue and ability to shatter anyone’s anger and frustration. My mother taught me how to use a lute, something that many of her family played. Once I learned, I wanted to do something different. I wanted to represent my human side and my elven side in my music. I forged my own custom lute, with two needs; one shorter than the other. The shorter one represented my human side; the shorter life. It had less designs and straight forward neck. The other neck, slightly longer, was more elegantly designed, and represented my elven blood. Each side was meant to show that no matter the bloodline, music came from it.

When my mother’s side of the family came to visit, they treated my father poorly, despite explaining that they “accepted” him at long last. When they invited us back to their homes, I had dyed my hair using berries to show off my father’s side of being wild. It was much to the dismay of my mother’s side of the family, and it became something I did each year we returned to visit my mother’s side of the family. I also took that chance to play my lute for them, which they called “Rolling Rock” music because it sounded like rocks rolling down a mountain side to them; but they could not deny my smile, my laughter, and my ability to make them tap their feet to the music. It was a great pleasure for them to be disappointed in me, because of how they viewed my father and how I portrayed myself, but their undeniable attraction to the music I sang.

While with my mother’s family, Itook the time to learn about the world beyond the woods, reading volumes of information about legends and lore. By the time I had hit the age of eighteen, I had spoken to my mother and father about exploring the world beyond the woods that I had read about. The people I encountered were nothing like how the Moon Elves had described them. I learned that the world operated using money, and I quickly used my talents as a bard to spin wonderful tales and my double necked lute made me an icon in every town I sung my way through.

The human side of me made me interested in gambling; the thrill of not knowing the result excited me and seemed to feed my creativity. The more popular I became because of my lute and music, the more I embraced the outside world. I realized I had wanted my name to fall off the lips of the world with awe and love.

One night, at a mining town, a small caravan of elves, escorting elven made swords stopped for the night. Many of them entered “Last Spin Inn” where I had been performing. Seeing “familiar” faces, in that they had been mostly elves that night, seemed to bring out my spunky side. Pulling the ponytail out of my hair, I strummed and sang loudly and rambunctiously. At the end of the show, one of the Elves approached me and introduced himself as Telannin Thornweaver, a Sun Elf. The Thornweaver name rang a bell in my mind; it’d been mentioned in the family’s books.

“Thornweaver,” I mentioned. “As in the Warclan?”

Telannin smiled, “You know my family?”

“You could say that,” I smiled.

We spent the night talking until the sun rose.

And somewhere in that conversation, my heart began to sing a new song…

23. - Top - End - #503

Heh. This one I had too much fun with. Anytime I get to write a Barbarian... I am going to lose myself.
    I used to play Barbarians in 2nd Edition... I played a Barbarian Shaman in EverQuest...
    Barbarians are my jam!
    And for some Easter Egg Goodness - if you're familiar with Mortal Kombat, you will get the name "variations" for the characters I introduced...
    Such as the character's mother, Kaleena... which is a reference to my favorite female of the Mortal Kombat franchise... Mileena.
    I kind of fell in love with Kaleena as I wrote her also...
    I did something where it's from the character's point of view...
    Then goes into the past...
    Then back to the character's point of view...
    To help develop his mother... and that helped develop him...
    The creature she fights (no spoilers yet!) is a reference to both something in Star Wars (I am sure you can figure it out)... and ElfQuest (if you're familiar with it)...
    Anyway - enough rambling!
    As always, looking forward to feedback!
    Enjoy!
    ================================================== ==

All of my life I have felt different; different than everyone else from my tribe.

A stone skimmed across a shallow lake, was no more than a stone that’d been thrown. But for me, I could almost feel what happened next. After the stone sank after the final skim, it slowly nestled at the bottom of the lake. Forgotten by everyone else but for me, I could almost feel the never-ending ripples of the consequences; from moving the stone to the stone’s new home. Every action, every second, another ripple formed. Life was a lake, we were all stones, skimming across the lake, and in death we would sink to the bottom, forever forgotten.

Near Raven Rock, far to the north, just south of the Spine of the World, our tribe had lived peacefully. Raven Rock, home to my own ancient ancestors, was the home of a clan of barbarians that rode on giant, fantastic ravens; said to somehow come from the Feywild. That connection to the Feywild is what made me different. My mother, a beautiful, but stubborn woman, would not be held back, even while she was pregnant with me. She had led a group of warriors in an attempt to track down a Yeti which had been killing their livestock, and could account for the disappearance of several people from the tribe, including children…

“This beast has killed much of our livestock,” Kaleena Grenavi shouted over the howling winds. “If we do not find it and kill it, we will soon starve. I suspect this beast is also responsible for the disappearance of Netana’s children, and for Saraka’s disappearance.” She pushed forward, despite being nine months pregnant, foot in front of her, three feet of snow, and the winds pushing against her. The others, six men and three women, all glanced at one another, and shook their head, but said nothing against her, save for Jhade.

“If this beast is indeed responsible for Saraka’s disappearance, and ultimately, his death,” Jhade tried to keep pace with Kaleena, “then there is little chance any of us might succeed. Saraka was a master with the blades.”

“If we do die tonight,” Kaleena said, turning to face Jhade, “then we will die a quicker death than starvation, for that will be our fate if we do not find and kill the beast. And you know better than to ever tell me the odds. That makes me only want to do this more.” Despite the dire situation, Kaleena could not help but smile. Jhade was her sister, and Netana – whose two sons vanished one night – was also her sister. Kaleena was doing this not just for the tribe, but she needed this revenge; and nothing would stop her. Not the weather. Not her pregnancy. Not even the odds that they might perish.

Kaleena had managed to track the beast near Raven Rock, where it had found a cave to call home. Skeletal remains of all kinds; animals, human and humanoid littered the cavern floor. This Yeti had been hunting in these grounds for a very long time. Among the skeletal remains, Kaleena found Saraka’s blades and the necklaces of Netana’s children, just as she feared. Scanning the cavern there was no sign of the Yeti being inside. Kaleena commanded the others to wait outside and they would spring a trap. Kaleena would wait inside the cave and the others would signal her when the beast approached; when it rushed in, they would rush in from the outside and strike it from behind.

The towering white Yeti blended so well with the snowy ground that it was not until it was nearly at the entrance until Jhade spotted it and gave the raven call. Kaleena gripped her weapon and shouted a challenge to the beast, who rushed into its cave. Kaleena had set up a trap that the Yeti stepped into; Saraka’s blades cut deep into its leg as it howled. Kaleena lunged at the beast with her spear and drove it into the beast’s heart; but the beast did not die. It snapped the spear in half, leaving a portion of it in his chest. The others rushed in and attacked from the rear; the trap had pinned the Yeti’s foot, preventing it from turning to face them. They continued stabbing at it mercilessly, until its white fur was crimson red, but still it did not stop. Kaleena stood up and jumped at the beast, gripping the stub of the spear still lunged in its chest and swung with all of her weight to drive it further. The beast gasped, and she knew it had pierced the beast’s heart; but that’s when she felt a warm sensation running down her legs. She looked and realized the Yeti, in its final moments, had raked its claws against her protruding stomach.

She released the spear and collapsed on the floor, eerily, at the same time the Yeti fell forward, dead.

Jhade and the others rushed to Kaleena’s side, seeing the deep wound across her stomach. Jhade began to deliver the baby, knowing that the wound was deep enough to cut into the child. As she delivered the child, it did not breathe; three claw marks across the child’s chest had undoubtedly sealed its fate; but then something happened. A magical surge of energy coming from the cave and the child suddenly burst into tears crying. Kaleena smiled, before losing consciousness from the blood loss.

That child was me; the three claw marks are still scars I bare on my chest. I was born into this world without breath; but given life by some unseen force. My mother believes it was the Fey; Fey who had been imprisoned by the Yeti’s dark power; now free, giving their thanks for the freedom by giving the warrior that freed them, life to her child.

Like my mother, I am stubborn, perhaps to a fault. I never like to be told the odds, because they never matter to me. For me, perhaps because I was touched by the Fey who had somehow been imprisoned by the Yeti; their magic in me, their message, is that no matter what – no one should ever be allow to oppress people. It’s become my duty, my honor, my life, to defend, protect and care for those who need my help.

My mother believes, as do I, that I was spared by the Fey for some larger reason; and as I leave the Black Bear Lodge, for my Dajemma, my coming of age journey; I will see what the world needs of me.

========================
    EDIT: Clarification, if needed; the Yeti was enhanced by wild fey magic that made it stronger than usual; the death of it, released the magic that entered the infant's body.
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2019-09-30 at 11:51 AM.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Pixie in the Playground

I do enjoy a good backstory. I have some notes on the character at first conception but would like to see an independent take on the character.

Name: Wolfgang von Hexen
    Class: Warlock (Hexblade)
    Race: V. Human

Spoiler: additional details
    Show

Feat: Prodigy

Skills: Arcana, Deception, History, intimidation, Persuasion(2x proficiency from prodigy), Stealth

Languages:
    Common
    Orc
    Goblin
    Elven

Tool Proficiencies:
    Dragonchess
    Jeweler’s tools

Notes: the von Hexen family is a minor noble family located in the regional capital (the family name is courtesy of the DM, it was just too apt to pass up). Wolfgang is the second child, but oldest son.

If you have any questions, feel free to let me know.

25. - Top - End - #505

BlackDragon

This Challenge is meant to be a heavy Investigation and Roleplaying situation, and since I'm only good at Plot Ideas and Mechanical twerking, I place this here to see how you spin this one.

Unlike a lot of my Characters, this one has not been "placed" anywhere in the World yet, so you have full freedom to do what you want.

Using the PoVs of either (one or more of) the Townspeople or the dPC (or switching between them) should make for an interesting challenge for you.

Spoiler: Darker Path
    Show

The small town is located between two major trade Cities but remote enough that Wilderness Encounters are more common. Mixed Races live (mostly) peacefully together.

Everyone in town knows about the Copper Dragon family that has their Lair somewhere nearby.
    Most Dragon family members are seen in town in their Humanoid forms.

But, the appearance of what looks like a Green Dragon Wyrmling has the townsfolk upset and traveling armed.

Rizalyxev Rambreaker
    (Riza-lie-xev)
    Copper Dragon Wyrmling
    Spoiler: Stuff
    Show

Str 15, Dex 12, Con 14,
    Int 14, Wis 11, Cha 13.
    AC 16. HP 30.
    Speed 30, Climb 30, Fly 60.
    Blindsight 10' Darkvision 60'
    Saves: Str +3, Con +3, Wis +2, Cha +3
    Skills: Perception, Intimidation.

Breath (recharges on 5-6)
    Acid 4d8 Dex DC 12 for half
    Slowing Con DC 12. 1 minute.
    Half Speed: No Reactions:
    Either Action or Bonus Action.

Lair actions as per MM

"Mother believed that I was Cursed by Tiamat upon my hatching, after my Father commented on how I looked more like a Green Dragon than a Copper. While I wasn't rejected by my parents, none of my siblings liked me, and constantly make sure I know this.

I also found that Shapechanging was difficult for me, and as such I had more negative Encounters with "people" than any of my siblings.

As such, I hate everyone but my parents. I love my Mother and respect my Father.

I have taken over the Tunnels and Chambers of what was a Goblin nest, recently cleared out local "Adventuring" groups cutting their teeth learning their profession. I have made it my Lair, and after dedicating the time needed, I have some nice tricks to use on anyone trying to oust me.

Now, I'm out to prove to all those "Superior" people just how wrong they are…."

The main thing I'm looking for (in addition to a cool Backstory) are Clues about this dPC for the Players to have their Characters find by Investigation and RP with the Townspeople, ideas about the Personalities of various Dragon Family members, and Hints that maybe there is a misunderstanding about this dPC, and after Exploring to find the correct caverns, there is the Major Encounter in the Wyrmling's Lair.

Both Combat and Roleplaying are possible. Depending on how this dPC is dealt with, he can become a Great Ally or a Major Foe.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-10-02 at 07:50 AM.

26. - Top - End - #506

Quote Originally Posted by jbr712 View Post
    I do enjoy a good backstory. I have some notes on the character at first conception but would like to see an independent take on the character.
    Name: Wolfgang von Hexen
    Class: Warlock (Hexblade)
    Race: V. Human
    Feat: Prodigy
    Skills: Arcana, Deception, History, intimidation, Persuasion (2x proficiency from prodigy), Stealth
    Languages:
    Common
    Orc
    Goblin
    Elven
    Tool Proficiencies:
    Dragonchess
    Jeweler’s tools
    Notes: the von Hexen family is a minor noble family located in the regional capital (the family name is courtesy of the DM, it was just too apt to pass up). Wolfgang is the second child, but oldest son.
    If you have any questions, feel free to let me know.
    People really do love their Hexblades...
    I think every Warlock I've written here feels like it's always been a Hexblade.
    This was fun to write (now that I finally had some free time!)
    The being mentioned is a being that's been mentioned in QUITE a few other backgrounds I've written in this thread...
    And lends to the idea that all of this happens in a "Forgotten Realms Tawmis Verse" which has been fun.

When your family has a long line of history, well documented, and well-funded, it is easy to lose yourself in all the things that come to you. My name is Wolfgang von Hexen, and I come from a noble family living just outside the regional capital.

When I was young, there wasn’t anything I wanted that I didn’t get. Servants brought me food, clothing, and would run errands for me to acquire things I was interested in. In truth, there was little need for my mother and father, as they were too busy being politically busy. From my father, I learned the skill to deceive and intimidate, as there were more than several occasions where I watched from the door that was ajar, as my father conducted business with his associates. Some of whom looked quite wealthy, like my father; while other seemed to be of the “shadier” business. From my mother, I learned the silver tongue – or the devil’s tongue, as my younger brother calls it – the ability to persuade. My mother was quite talented at it; the way she would serve drinks and speak so eloquently.

One of my family’s servants, a woman by the name of Adouria would spend her time telling me fantastic stories of the world beyond; where Elf and Orc raged war against one another. She had been well versed in both of their languages, claiming that at one time, she’d been a slave to a band of orcs known as the Red Eye Orcs, and that it had been Elves who rescued her. She claims she learned the Orc tongue while she was a slave, and then in turn learned to speak Elvish during her time with the elves. She bore scars on her arm and a gash on her cheek that certainly seemed to lend to the idea that she had endured some hardships.

The parts that interested me the most were the stories of magic that she spoke of. The Red Eye Orcs apparently worshiped some dark god or demon, and their shaman would gain great power from it. I’d lived my life in luxury and comfort and gotten anything and everything I wanted. I was bored.

I began going to the Great Library and learning about magic in this world, and read tomes from great wizards who documented their findings.

In one of the tomes I read about, a wizard documented how his close friend had summoned a demon by the name of Bar’garius whom he had gained magical powers from when studying to become a powerful wizard was not working for him. This made me search for other tomes that mentioned the demon Bar’garius – and it turned out finding more information on the demon was not at all difficult. The demon was mentioned in several volumes about working with mortals and granting them power for a cost. In one of the volumes it explained how Bar’garius had been expelled to the Shadowfell and that his barter with mortals was a means for breaking open the gate and being free to return to the Planes of Hell.

I was twenty two years old when I traced the runes on my bedroom floor, cut my wrist to place a drop of blood in each of the runes and completed the spell. A shimmering portal opened and my eyes gazed into a bleak, colorless world, where there seemed to be no light – only shades of darkness – when two shimmering red eyes appeared.

“Who calls upon Bar’garius?”

“I do,” I replied, “Wolfgang von Hexen.”

“What do you want of Bar’garius?”

“Power,” I replied.

“You seem to have coin and fortune, what can Bar’garius grant you that you can not buy?”

“Magic,” I replied, smiling.

“True,” the demon replied, “Bar’garius can grant you power. But what does Bar’garius get in return for granting you such power?”

“I know you’re trapped in the Shadowfell,” I explained, smiling. “And I know you wish to return to the Plane of Hell, so that your own power is properly restored. While bound in the Shadowfell, you are weakened. You’ve been granting mortals power which you are able to provide so they go forth and use their new found powers in your name. The more mortals who agree to your bargain, the stronger you become in the Shadowfell. And with enough ‘servants’ to your name you will one day be able to break free of the Shadowfell.”

“You know much of Bar’garius’ past, but what can you do to help Bar’garius’ future?”

“Grant me the power you’ve granted others and I will use my newfound powers to assist you in finding a way to be free of the Shadowfell,” I explained.

“How would you help Bar’garius be free sooner?”

“As you said, I have coin and come from a noble family,” I replied. “With my resources I was able to learn of you and your fate. With more power I can do so much more to help you.”

“Then we have an accord,” Bar’garius said.

Through the shimmering portal black cloudy ink emerged and entered my mouth and nose and consumed my body; I could feel the very fabric of my body being changed. When it was through I collapsed to my knees, but saw shimmering shadows around my hand.

“You are the weapon of Bar’garius now,” the demon said. “Do not fail me.”

I watched as the portal closed and stared at my hands as a shadowy sword appeared.

“I will never be a servant,” I smiled, “I will use your power Bar’garius. But in the end, it is you who will kneel to me.”

27. - Top - End - #507
    Pixie in the Playground

Excellent story, it shared a few elements with a draft I put together when envisioning the character originally but is certainly unique. I included some notes in the spoiler below to highlight areas of similarity, contrast, interest, or critique.

Spoiler
    Show

When I was young, there wasn’t anything I wanted that I didn’t get. Servants brought me food, clothing, and would run errands for me to acquire things I was interested in. In truth, there was little need for my mother and father, as they were too busy being politically busy.
    Fitting the noble background, particularly with the Retainers Variant. I painted the lack of parental involvement as disinterest in favor of his elder sister, but that involves setting info I didn’t provide so the paragraph tracks well given the context.

From my father, I learned the skill to deceive and intimidate, as there were more than several occasions where I watched from the door that was ajar, as my father conducted business with his associates. Some of whom looked quite wealthy, like my father; while other seemed to be of the “shadier” business. From my mother, I learned the silver tongue – or the devil’s tongue, as my younger brother calls it – the ability to persuade. My mother was quite talented at it; the way she would serve drinks and speak so eloquently.
    Just a stylistic difference, I would have used “while others seemed of unsavory character.” Rather than “‘shadier’ business.” Same thrust, but it builds some of the pretense of the noble’s perception and upbringing. Ultimately trivial.

One of my family’s servants, a woman by the name of Adouria would spend her time telling me fantastic stories of the world beyond; where Elf and Orc raged war against one another. She had been well versed in both of their languages, claiming that at one time, she’d been a slave to a band of orcs known as the Red Eye Orcs, and that it had been Elves who rescued her. She claims she learned the Orc tongue while she was a slave, and then in turn learned to speak Elvish during her time with the elves. She bore scars on her arm and a gash on her cheek that certainly seemed to lend to the idea that she had endured some hardships.

The parts that interested me the most were the stories of magic that she spoke of. The Red Eye Orcs apparently worshiped some dark god or demon, and their shaman would gain great power from it. I’d lived my life in luxury and comfort and gotten anything and everything I wanted. I was bored.
    This is probably our biggest difference. In my draft I had the character be captured while en route to a cousin’s villa and becoming acquainted with the Orcish language and traditions from that. No rescue, per se, but a ransom was paid for his release long after it probably should have been. I think I prefer the servant being the captive and retelling the stories being the impetus for Wolfgang delving into some of the more obscure pieces of Arcana. Makes more sense from a boyhood wonderment perspective and is more organic.

I began going to the Great Library and learning about magic in this world, and read tomes from great wizards who documented their findings.

In one of the tomes I read about, a wizard documented how his close friend had summoned a demon by the name of Bar’garius whom he had gained magical powers from when studying to become a powerful wizard was not working for him. This made me search for other tomes that mentioned the demon Bar’garius – and it turned out finding more information on the demon was not at all difficult. The demon was mentioned in several volumes about working with mortals and granting them power for a cost. In one of the volumes it explained how Bar’garius had been expelled to the Shadowfell and that his barter with mortals was a means for breaking open the gate and being free to return to the Planes of Hell.
    Good section here, this and the next section are better than what I had for this transitional period in Wolfgang’s life. Pet theory currently involves the “wizard” being a cultist from prior to Bar’garius’s exile from the 9 Hells rather than a true wizard - using his influence to further his master’s schemes by piquing the curiosity of those power hungry enough to be of use.

I was twenty two years old when I traced the runes on my bedroom floor, cut my wrist to place a drop of blood in each of the runes and completed the spell. A shimmering portal opened and my eyes gazed into a bleak, colorless world, where there seemed to be no light – only shades of darkness – when two shimmering red eyes appeared.

“Who calls upon Bar’garius?”

“I do,” I replied, “Wolfgang von Hexen.”

“What do you want of Bar’garius?”

“Power,” I replied.

“You seem to have coin and fortune, what can Bar’garius grant you that you can not buy?”

“Magic,” I replied, smiling.

“True,” the demon replied, “Bar’garius can grant you power. But what does Bar’garius get in return for granting you such power?”

“I know you’re trapped in the Shadowfell,” I explained, smiling. “And I know you wish to return to the Plane of Hell, so that your own power is properly restored. While bound in the Shadowfell, you are weakened. You’ve been granting mortals power which you are able to provide so they go forth and use their new found powers in your name. The more mortals who agree to your bargain, the stronger you become in the Shadowfell. And with enough ‘servants’ to your name you will one day be able to break free of the Shadowfell.”

“You know much of Bar’garius’ past, but what can you do to help Bar’garius’ future?”

“Grant me the power you’ve granted others and I will use my newfound powers to assist you in finding a way to be free of the Shadowfell,” I explained.

“How would you help Bar’garius be free sooner?”

“As you said, I have coin and come from a noble family,” I replied. “With my resources I was able to learn of you and your fate. With more power I can do so much more to help you.”

“Then we have an accord,” Bar’garius said.

Through the shimmering portal black cloudy ink emerged and entered my mouth and nose and consumed my body; I could feel the very fabric of my body being changed. When it was through I collapsed to my knees, but saw shimmering shadows around my hand.

“You are the weapon of Bar’garius now,” the demon said. “Do not fail me.”

I watched as the portal closed and stared at my hands as a shadowy sword appeared.

“I will never be a servant,” I smiled, “I will use your power Bar’garius. But in the end, it is you who will kneel to me.”
    Noble pride and arrogance manifest nicely here, the intent of Faustian Rebellion is fun to play with - and certainly in keeping with the mindset of a noble who is used to leading over being led.

Overall, a very strong backstory that was well written. Of the edits I would make, there are a few names I’ll include in the version I ultimately submit and may change a few setting specific details. Given that I didn’t include those, there’s no fault or judgement for using a setting and running with it - I wold actually say it’s more to your credit for being able to do so with relative ease while creating a character that can ultimately fit multiple settings pretty easily.

An amusing thing for me:
    I am pretty sure I omitted that I intended this build to be a corruptor, which fits in nicely with the cult leader aspect you alude to - even if partially a misdirection. That’s actually why he has proficiency in Jeweler’s tools. In the style of Sauron he’ll craft rings serve as a badge of membership and a safeguard (rings will have curses of one sort or another down the line to enforce or encourage loyalty). Just... nothing that contains my soul.

28. - Top - End - #508

Excellent story, it shared a few elements with a draft I put together when envisioning the character originally but is certainly unique. I included some notes in the spoiler below to highlight areas of similarity, contrast, interest, or critique.
    Excellent! This is the stuff that helps me grow!

Fitting the noble background, particularly with the Retainers Variant. I painted the lack of parental involvement as disinterest in favor of his elder sister, but that involves setting info I didn’t provide so the paragraph tracks well given the context.
    Thank you! I don't mind working with more or less information - it's all a challenge to me and my writing (one hour timer!). So if I can hit something that sounds good to the requestor, I am flattered.

Just a stylistic difference, I would have used “while others seemed of unsavory character.” Rather than “‘shadier’ business.” Same thrust, but it builds some of the pretense of the noble’s perception and upbringing. Ultimately trivial.
    FARKBEANS! Unsavory was the word I _was_ looking for... I paused there... for a considerable time knowing "shadier" wasn't the word I was looking for... unsavory was the one I needed there!

This is probably our biggest difference. In my draft I had the character be captured while en route to a cousin’s villa and becoming acquainted with the Orcish language and traditions from that. No rescue, per se, but a ransom was paid for his release long after it probably should have been. I think I prefer the servant being the captive and retelling the stories being the impetus for Wolfgang delving into some of the more obscure pieces of Arcana. Makes more sense from a boyhood wonderment perspective and is more organic.
    I am flattered to influence changes in your character!

Good section here, this and the next section are better than what I had for this transitional period in Wolfgang’s life. Pet theory currently involves the “wizard” being a cultist from prior to Bar’garius’s exile from the 9 Hells rather than a true wizard - using his influence to further his master’s schemes by piquing the curiosity of those power hungry enough to be of use.
    Noble pride and arrogance manifest nicely here, the intent of Faustian Rebellion is fun to play with - and certainly in keeping with the mindset of a noble who is used to leading over being led. [/spoiler]

Overall, a very strong backstory that was well written. Of the edits I would make, there are a few names I’ll include in the version I ultimately submit and may change a few setting specific details. Given that I didn’t include those, there’s no fault or judgement for using a setting and running with it - I wold actually say it’s more to your credit for being able to do so with relative ease while creating a character that can ultimately fit multiple settings pretty easily.

An amusing thing for me:
    I am pretty sure I omitted that I intended this build to be a corruptor, which fits in nicely with the cult leader aspect you alude to - even if partially a misdirection. That’s actually why he has proficiency in Jeweler’s tools. In the style of Sauron he’ll craft rings serve as a badge of membership and a safeguard (rings will have curses of one sort or another down the line to enforce or encourage loyalty). Just... nothing that contains my soul.
    I always leave gaps or some areas vague, for the requestor to change or add elements that may be unique to their campaign settings! So if you enjoyed what I did here and are considering using pieces, I am very flattered! Thank you for submitting this and more importantly taking the time to provide feedback!

29. - Top - End - #509
    Pixie in the Playground

Hello Tawmis!

I stumbled upon this thread. I am very much impressed by your writing, and wanted to ask you to have a go at a character idea that I have. I hope your talent will help me understand my character's personality better.

Here is a starting point that may help you:

Name: Vesper (still need a last name)
    Race: Changeling, has spent most of their time after the Academy as a male human private investigator (Vesper)
    Gender: Male (technically only the gender of this particular persona)
    Class: 1 lvl Cleric (knowledge) / 1 lvl Wizard (school of enchantment)
    Background: Private Investigator
    Alignment: (Chaotic) Neutral

Personality: Let your creativity go wild!

Notes:
    - I would like something to do with the evil goddess Shar. Maybe I am a cleric of hers, or maybe I pray to her on the side?
    - I like to imagine I had found the love of my life at the Academy, but something happened to her.
    - Or anything else. Let your imagination go wild!

I am very curious what you will come up with! Feel free to change anything I have suggested above :)

Thanks in advance!

30. - Top - End - #510
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

So, I love doing writing challenges - it's undoubtedly what got me into D&D to begin with (the ability to spin up a story, and have players interact and change and shape the world!) If you're interested in me writing up a backstory (all for free, naturally!) - all I need is...
    I thought I would see if you can help me expand what I have.

Your character's
    Name: Redvus Dundonald
    Race: Hill Dwarf
    Class: Cleric of the Forge (Divine Soul Sorcerer later)
    Background: Sailor
    rough outline for a backstory:
    Viking Dwarf Priest!
    Following a self-imposed exile from the order or Solarus [sun god forger of the world] Redvus is seeking to try and find an answer to the infighting between the dwarven factions* by spending time with other cultures. He can trace his ancestors back ten generations to a dwarven demi-god and was drawn to the priesthood at a young age when he felt the healing magics flowing through his blood.

Decedent of a God
    Reading Percy Jackson books to my daughter it got me thinking about what his children would be. First quarter-gods then eight-gods and after ten generations there would still be some divine blood in the lineage. This seemed a great idea for a character background. Drawn towards the Cleric class by a natural affinity for the Gods and then multi-class with Divine Soul Sorcerer to play up the bloodline.

Why Adventure?
    I always like to have some reason for a character to be wandering around adventuring. In the game world there is a schism between the Luddites and Steamer in Dwarven culture; those that want to embrace new technology [gunpower] and those that do not. How does this affect the priesthood? Might priests get banished from the order or choice to remove themselves seeking to try and find an answer by spending time with other cultures. A self-imposed exile as a journey of discovery seems a good reason for a character to be out and about in the world.