New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheNecrocomicon View Post
    The heroes don't have to be "shiny-perfect", the difference is that they've lately either been made disproportionately crappy jerkass nominal-protagonists or sometimes just non-existent to focus on these tropes instead.

As for a cycle, it's been a pretty prolonged swing of "dark and edgy" one-upmanship for a while now, which pretty much dates straight back to the cultural shock of 9/11, at least in the Western context.

If a hero did what Thanos did in Infinity War, they would have been labelled a Mary Sue far and wide and the movie would have been lambasted as an utterly boring snoozefest. But no, the fandom reaction seems to be "he's so cool" and excusing his "kill half of everything" genocidal plan for some warped idea of environmental protection as a result.

Anyways, like I first said, I digress. Back to dozens of pages of debate over random OotS plot minutiae?
    Villains can get away with it more because they tend to get less screen time and aren't so much the focus of the story.

I didn't find him all that cool, and his plan was ridiculous, but I guess that's just me.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

2. - Top - End - #332

The heroes don't have to be "shiny-perfect", the difference is that they've lately either been made disproportionately crappy jerkass nominal-protagonists or sometimes just non-existent to focus on these tropes instead.

As for a cycle, it's been a pretty prolonged swing of "dark and edgy" one-upmanship for a while now, which pretty much dates straight back to the cultural shock of 9/11, at least in the Western context.

If a hero did what Thanos did in Infinity War, they would have been labelled a Mary Sue far and wide and the movie would have been lambasted as an utterly boring snoozefest. But no, the fandom reaction seems to be "he's so cool" and excusing his "kill half of everything" genocidal plan for some warped idea of environmental protection as a result.

Anyways, like I first said, I digress. Back to dozens of pages of debate over random OotS plot minutiae?
    Ueah, if the heroes did what he did it would be a snoozefest, but he's the villain and that changes how the tension works, we root for the heroes and so
    Spoiler
    Show

when he wins everything we are worried for the heroes, and when he loses (the second time) in Endgame we are happy that they were able to win (and sad at the losses it took to win), because even though he's the protagonist no one (is supposed to) wants him to him.

And seriously? You think that we won't go on a digression about something random, the last thread is talking about Dante's Divine Comedy, which is remarkably on-topic for it.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    Ueah, if the heroes did what he did it would be a snoozefest, but he's the villain and that changes how the tension works, we root for the heroes and so
    Spoiler
    Show

when he wins everything we are worried for the heroes, and when he loses (the second time) in Endgame we are happy that they were able to win (and sad at the losses it took to win), because even though he's the protagonist no one (is supposed to) wants him to him.

And seriously? You think that we won't go on a digression about something random, the last thread is talking about Dante's Divine Comedy, which is remarkably on-topic for it.
    *50 minute discussion of Antagonist vs Protagonist vs Villain vs Hero and making comparisons between Luke Skywalker and [random hero who loses their arm as a side effect of their victory]*
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese Wizard View Post
    So, um... I don't recall the bet that Loki and Hel were discussing. Can someone enlighten me, perhaps a quick summary or a reference to the particular strip(s) in question?
    The bet itself is recounted in #1083; we don't know what the prize the winner of the bet gets, but the significant details are all in that strip.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    *50 minute discussion of Antagonist vs Protagonist vs Villain vs Hero and making comparisons between Luke Skywalker and [random hero who loses their arm as a side effect of their victory]*
    Leon Uris, Battlecry, Danny Forrester.

It's was around long before Lucas tried to fold it into his movie.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-08-27 at 08:17 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post

Wasn't there a book about a woman shifting from the 70s to antebellum Maryland and dealing with her great^x grandfather and all the terrible things of that time? I think the book ends (and begins, it's not a spoiler) with her arm stuck in a wall.

EDIT: Dana from Kindred, Octavia Butler. Strange that the only required reading I ever had that was sci-fi-esque (time travel) was from a college level course.

What I wouldn't have given for some Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for AP Lit. That was a long time ago though, so whatever.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-08-27 at 08:33 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm not saying it's never been done in works of fiction before, just that there's been a trend in popular media lately (i.e. last decade or two) glorifying "dark and edgy" and it's been overdone to the point that there seem to be works where every character of any prominence is just varying shades of "evil a-hole".
    As an illustration...

Spoiler: Teen Titans (not go)
    Show

Spoiler: Titans
    Show

That said Teen Titans Go! is a thing; there's still plenty of silly and earnest out there. But wow, those dark and edgy remakes really seem to be going for the edgiest edges they can find.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

8. - Top - End - #338
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    If the thing with the dark one works and this world lasts indefinitely, there's no telling how far downwards Hel will spiral if she went from 'able to survive the time between worlds' to 'maybe not able to do that' in just a thousand years.
    I wonder if she would just keep subsisting at some minimal level. Not enough to survive if the world is destroyed, but enough to keep going, barely sane and with little power to spare.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

9. - Top - End - #339

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post

I think you mean Andy, who lost his leg. Danny just picked up a batch of shrapnel.

10. - Top - End - #340

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    So there’s no reason why anything like or similar to cats (eg, lions) should be referred to by any word used for cats. Likewise, there’s no reason that the aforementioned Lions should be represented by, say, a decent quarterback or a healthy special teams unit.
    Ouch...

Actually it's traditional for the said Lions to win all their exhibition games before going 1-15 in the regular season. 5-11 at best lately. (They've probably changed the number of games, I remember when 16 games was an NFL season. Sue me, I got old.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

11. - Top - End - #341

It still is, although they're again talking about expanding the season to as many as twenty games (and maybe adding another pre-season game). As if the players aren't taking enough crippling punishment already.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I'm being facetious, I was comparimg pineapple to other bad English names like unicorn and camelopard. As Peelee said, Rhinos aren't always even mono horned.
    The main language used by scholars at the time of these namings would have been Latin or the variation used by the Normans
    So blame the French ;)
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

13. - Top - End - #343
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Sure...
    This seems more like a cyclic thing to me, the public gets bored of shiny-perfect heroes and so starts favoring anti-heroes and gritty settings, the popularity of which spawns more and more cynical works until the public find those dim and cliché and starts reading more and more idealistic works, rinse, repeat and adjust for current socio-political mood.
    Even further back
    There’s the Shadow
    And Batman has always been the darker side to Superman
    The problem is that authors and companies nowadays interact with fans much more especially on social media and at conventions. So there’s a tendency to cater to the fan base, especially those who are willing to spend big on collectors items etc.
    The unfortunate correlation is that a fair proportion of that subset - and, in particular, those who spend a lot of the time on the Internet - are antisocial or even sociopathic. They feel alienated from mainstream society and thus drawn to characters that are also alienated. Characters that then treat ordinary people as objects to be used for their own selfish needs.
    Two examples - goths who love vampires. Part of that subculture is the treatment of humans as cattle. And many goths identify with that sneering at humanity.
    Then there’s Warhammer which has definitely gone that way with so many characters and factions - to the extent you have people portraying Abaddon as a good guy and crying over how he is so upset when one of his mates gets killed.
    Or even how people lionise the Spartans whilst disregarding their treatment of the helots - which went a bit beyond the slavery of the times.
    Last edited by mjasghar; 2019-08-28 at 12:18 AM.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Actually, what he did was lead her to a group of people who had as much interest in killing the vampire containing Durkon's soul as she did, which is realistically the best he could have done. If she hadn't been there then the Order would likely have lost to Durkula's minions, and good luck on her ever getting her desired revenge in that case.
    My point is that he gave her what she asked for but left out crucial details - which fits perfectly with his doctrinal incapability of being wholly straightforward with anyone except Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    The Order featuring Hilgya did lose to Durkula's minions. It was Durkon's memory gambit that won the battle. Hilgya's main practical impact so far is resurrecting Durkon after he talked the vampire into not existing any more.
    Also this.

I guess this strip goes into the "Some Anvils Need To Be Dropped" section, under "necessary reminder that Evil-aligned gods and characters are still self-centered a-holes at heart and don't deserve to be held up as being cool".
    I'd say "don't deserve to be held up as role models" rather than "don't deserve to be held up as being cool." Villains of all stripes are frequently cool, and Loki is no exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    The bet itself is recounted in #1083; we don't know what the prize the winner of the bet gets, but the significant details are all in that strip.
    The object of the bet is likely the souls themselves (i.e. "who can end up with more?") I imagine; it's the only thing the gods really care about, resource-wise. Had Thor not warned the dwarves about it, or had they not believed him, Hel would have gained far more power (specifically Dedication and Souls) than she would have under a normal alignment-based afterlife setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

15. - Top - End - #345
    Halfling in the Playground

Kinda late to the comment party, but I just need to say that I really, really find myself siding with Loki in this one, he is just wanting really badly to be a good parent, and it is only his inherent pragmatism that is keeping him in line.

Honestly, I am not sure I would have that much willpower in me, in his place, f the world and f the chance to stop the Snarl, if my little girl needed me, I'd be there for her.

16. - Top - End - #346

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Veya View Post
    Kinda late to the comment party, but I just need to say that I really, really find myself siding with Loki in this one, he is just wanting really badly to be a good parent, and it is only his inherent pragmatism that is keeping him in line.

Honestly, I am not sure I would have that much willpower in me, in his place, f the world and f the chance to stop the Snarl, if my little girl needed me, I'd be there for her.
    It is a pretty classic tough decision: "Will you protect your loved ones or save the world."

Granted I'm pretty sure if Loki had a method for keeping himself and his food supply permanently safe from the Snarl he'd have joined Hel already. And maybe Thor and his food supply since I'm pretty sure Loki would get bored really quickly without his nemesis.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Veya View Post

He deliberately messed up his daughter’s food for funsies. He left ‘good parent’ territory a long time ago.
    Also he doesn’t care about the world, he wants to throw it in the trash. He’s doing this for himself.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    What sort of offer did you have in mind? All I've come up with is "Have your vampire(s) do something for us and we'll give you the souls in our inbox", which seems quite slim.
    I don't buy the putting another soul will be a gross violation of our contract ( http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0897.html ). The first usage from IFCC was a temporary inaction, and what if they offer to Hel some form of possession there?

looking differently: what we just saw was a very plot-sensitive series of events. How many gods would have put some effort in shifting the odds?

the IFCC are brokers here, of knowledge and of opportunity.
    as their goal, they want tear down the Good Gods (not something you do for breakfast).
    And to do this, the IFCC what has? apparently, only to passively lurking, sending an imp+Sabine, and remove V for 20 < x < 30 minutes? .... quite a slim asset.
    I would expect something nastier.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

*cross-checks the sphere in the last panel against 1138*

So Hel's domain resides in Hades? This presumably means she's Neutral Evil.

(And someone in this thread has probably made this observation already.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Actually finishing a seven-book series of fantasy novels is a better dig at ASOIAF than any in-strip parody could be.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Linneris View Post
    *cross-checks the sphere in the last panel against 1138*

So Hel's domain resides in Hades? This presumably means she's Neutral Evil.

(And someone in this thread has probably made this observation already.)
    Yes, but good on you for trying to haul it back on topic.
    To the guy responsible for Belkar, Haley and Vaarsuvius. Thank you for providing over 800 comedy gems.

My Favourite Giant Posts
    Well, It Took 10 Years, But His Tolerance For Rules-Based Criticism Finally Snapped Like A Dry Breadstick
    Race Should Not Dictate Alignment

"What's the point in defending the defensible? Where's the challenge in that?" - Nick Naylor, Thank You for Smoking

Spot the Toxic Comic Fans! Gotta Catch 'Em All!

21. - Top - End - #351

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by deworde View Post
    And now to compare Loki to Darth Vader.

22. - Top - End - #352

Quote Originally Posted by Rinazina View Post
    I don't buy the putting another soul will be a gross violation of our contract ( http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0897.html ). The first usage from IFCC was a temporary inaction, and what if they offer to Hel some form of possession there?

looking differently: what we just saw was a very plot-sensitive series of events. How many gods would have put some effort in shifting the odds?

as their goal, they want tear down the Good Gods (not something you do for breakfast).
    And to do this, the IFCC what has? apparently, only to passively lurking, sending an imp+Sabine, and remove V for 20 < x < 30 minutes? .... quite a slim asset.
    What would Hel possessing a mortal get her? She's a god, so nothing power-wise. She can also act on the material plane if she wants but has her hands tied by the godly rules, and I don't see how possessing a mortal helps with that. Mostly because possessing the mortal would, in fact, be her acting on the material plane and probably already breaking the rules.

It'd be like stealing someone's identity in order to commit assault, all you've done once they compare prints is add another crime to your rap sheet.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2019-08-28 at 04:41 AM.

23. - Top - End - #353

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by deworde View Post
    maybe we could try that for a bit...
    .. until the inevitable discussion of star wars and o miko resurfaces....
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rinazina View Post

I'd say that Familicide was already nasty enough.

- Star Wars
    - Familicide
    - Miko Mayazaki

25. - Top - End - #355
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    He deliberately messed up his daughter’s food for funsies. He left ‘good parent’ territory a long time ago.
    Also he doesn’t care about the world, he wants to throw it in the trash. He’s doing this for himself.
    As I said elsewhere, I don't think he expected the Chaotic Thor to actually be able to do as good a job as he did of making Dwarven society rigidly honour-bound. If not for that, Hel would have been fine--possibly even better than fine. So, while he's definitely guilty of putting his daughter at unnecessary risk, that doesn't mean he doesn't actually love her and want what's best for her. (See also: Hilgya taking her own child into combat).

26. - Top - End - #356

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    I'd say that Familicide was already nasty enough.

- Star Wars
    - Familicide
    - Miko Mayazaki
    The IFCC are Mary Sues?
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I didn't read all the pages so far, but I didn't see anyone comment on a relevant information on this strip. Hel doesn't know anything about the Dark One situation.

Until now, I was lead to believe most, if not all of the gods, knew about it, but some of them thought it wasn't worth a try, and others were just too prejudice-full to agree with that solution, but it seems now that the information itself is not that widespread (or maybe it's just her, having been out of godsmoots and such).
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

28. - Top - End - #358

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    As I said elsewhere, I don't think he expected the Chaotic Thor to actually be able to do as good a job as he did of making Dwarven society rigidly honour-bound. If not for that, Hel would have been fine--possibly even better than fine. So, while he's definitely guilty of putting his daughter at unnecessary risk, that doesn't mean he doesn't actually love her and want what's best for her. (See also: Hilgya taking her own child into combat).
    Derailing the thread into an argument about Hilgya is definitely a curveball. Everyone was expecting Star Wars instead.

I approve.

29. - Top - End - #359

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsong View Post
    Derailing the thread into an argument about Hilgya is definitely a curveball. Everyone was expecting Star Wars instead.

I approve.
    They mentioned Hilgya, it was inevitable, if they mentioned Miko, someone whose name starts with M someone whose name included M we’d be arguing over her ages ago.

And the last thread is still detailing as we speak, I didn’t even know that could happen but they’re detailing it back onto Star Wars, we probably weren’t going to talk about it here with perfectly good Star Wars somewhere else.

30. - Top - End - #360

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    They mentioned Hilgya, it was inevitable, if they mentioned Miko, someone whose name starts with M someone whose name included M we’d be arguing over her ages ago.

And the last thread is still detailing as we speak, I didn’t even know that could happen but they’re detailing it back onto Star Wars, we probably weren’t going to talk about it here with perfectly good Star Wars somewhere else.
    We're derailing into levels we've never derailed before.