New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Secret of mana IC thread

Thaum sees the display and the massive pink rabite and blinks. Then blinks again. Without taking his eyes off of the scene, he bends slightly to the side and down, towards Coney. "Is... is this sort of thing something normal?" he asks quietly and with audible confusion as a cabbage head is flung into the air among the sounds of the rabites blobbing in a circle.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar looks back at the others, especially at Coney, rather bewildered. Without saying a word, he just gives their Rabite friend a strange look like, 'what the hell is going on?'

3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

If Coney had shoulders made for shrugging, she'd be using them. Instead her ears sort of flail around in a kind of spiral for a moment.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Int check (1d20)[19]
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Several of the rabites do a spin throwing gravel and other things in the air and howl at the massive rabite who responds with a howl himself.

When the howl stops the smaller rabites come closer to the big one and kneel down and seem to hum deeply. The sound travels pretty far and you can feel it in your stomach.

The big one slowly turns and slightly touches the smaller rabites with his ears.

Spoiler: Updated map
    Show
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2020-07-02 at 04:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney's eyes flicker wildly, and then snap back to focus. She speaks softly and rapidly to her colleagues.

"That idiot kit. They're going to botch the ritual, I can see...see! We are seen! The Eye is upon us, and it has teeth! We may look to the clouds for inspiration and the trees for solace, but only in ourselves can we find meaning. Yes? Wisp tells us, shares her secrets with those who know how to tilt their ears. Tells us of the ocean, and the chobin who will guide us across. Gods, it's full of stars!"

Her ears whip around furiously for a moment, then snap to attention. She speaks again, in something more closely approximating a normal voice.

"The big one is a too-young Silktail, who has drawn simple rabites into a ritual beyond their capabilities. Their intention may be good, but the effects of a ritual gone wrong may be very bad. We have to stop them, without hurting them if we can. I have a shot at convincing the silktail, but will need you ready to step in to help. Can you do that?"
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #456
    Titan in the Playground

By the time Coney's ears whip around, Thaum looks like he is halfway towards casting a break enchantment on her. When she returns to normal and explains, the healer looks to her, then the distant rabites, then back again.

"Certainly," he answers. This feels too urgent to ask question about the situation at this point in time.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar nods grimly. "Sure. Supposing someone needs to be knocked out, you think I should aim for the big one, or just the others?"

8. - Top - End - #458
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney Massing

Coney smiles at both.

"Thank you. I would try sto stop the big one. My sense is that the others are in thrall to him."

Dropping her skunk disguise, Coney darts forward into the clearing and begins chanting in her gravelly voice. She calls out to the silktail.

"Friend, you must stop this ritual, and send your friends away. It is dangerous for you, and everyone in the area."

Her ears reach out to the silktail in supplication.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    She is casting Suggestion. Will DC 19 negates.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

When Coney approaches the other rabites there is a stop in the ritual and all participants look at her transfixed.

Show
    Surprisingly, even with Aned rolling a 20, your, well, adversary's have rolled a higher initiative

Spoiler: OOC Coney
    Show
    You're spell batters on the Silktail and fails but you also realize that even after you spoke he must have had some recognition but he just looks at you dumbfounded. Like an unawakened of your kind would look at you when you tell it something.

After Coney has given her speech one of the rabites cry's out.

"You won't snatch our sacred one!" The rabite rushes at Coney and he opens his big mouth and try's to take a bite out of her.

Spoiler: Attack at Coney
    Show

Bite attack(1d20+9)[19]
    Damage (1d4+3)[5]

Another one of the rabites takes a step back and makes a strange sound, it sounds like a sneezing mouse. When he does the other rabites throw more stuff at the silktail who seems to get very confused about all of this.

Show
    That gives him concealment for a miss chance of 20% against attacks.

Another one jumps outside of the clearing and throws a stone at Coney.

Spoiler: Attack at coney 2
    Show

Attack (1d20+7)[14]
    Damage (1d1+2)[3]

Finally another one steps out and casts a spell!

Spoiler: Spellcraft against 16
    Show
    It's a sleep spell

But it doesn't seem to have an immediate effect.

Spoiler: Updated map
    Show
    Map As always you can change your starting positions.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2020-07-06 at 02:52 AM.

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney Massing

"Ow!"

Shaking the paw that was just chomped on by the ingrate of a rabbit, Coney sighs. She glances back at her colleagues apologetically, and strives to keep her voice calm as she raises it to try to break through the cries and murmurs of the rabites. She bounces away from the biter, just to give them a chance to cool off. She speaks in the Rabite tongue, but switches if it seems likely that these rabites don't know it.

"No one is trying to take away your sacred one. We are here as friends. But...now that you've stopped the ritual, could someone explain what's going on? What were you trying to achieve with this powerful magic?"

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    The bite hit. The rock missed.

Thanks to binding Naberius, Coney can take 10 on diplomacy checks, and complete a Diplomacy check as a full round action instead of a minute without penalty. So, all in all, a 32.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2020-07-06 at 09:27 PM.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

As Coney looks back, she sees clear worry in Thaum's face, as well as being quite ready to step in to protect her. However, moving in now may worsen their chances of solving this without... too much additional violence. That and Thaum's capacity for said violence being rather lacking, as are his means to harmlessly subdue the rabites. He knows who could do just that, but he tries his best not to let it distract him, at least right in this moment.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing as there was still maybe a chance that things might work out peacefully, Larimar remained hidden, but with his bow ready to fire.. and observed!

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Can't even use spellcraft!

Oh, and hide: if it's relevant. (1d20+16)[30]

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The biter seemingly wanted to take another bite out of Coney but stops for a moment.

The one who waved his ears around and perhaps even casted a spell says: "Cease!" and follows it up with a calming tone. The other rabites stop providing cover to the silktail who looks a bit frightened. He also seems to shrink rapidly but his stature remains bigger than a normal rabite.

Show
    He remains in the medium creature category instead of becoming small.

Both the guy who threw a rock and the biter retreat a bit while the (supposedly) spellcaster throds forward. He looks at Coney's ears intendly and speaks in rabitian.

"You're not from the yellow stingers?"

Larimar signals the others to keep their head down while the speaker takes a looks around and he doesn't seem to immediately see anyone else except Coney.

"Who are your friends you speak of? And who are you even, interrupting the most sacred ritual to help our sacred one?"

The sacred one shoves some other rabites aside and wants to take a look at Coney himself. But he doesn't seem to say anything.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney Massing

Coney glances back at her colleagues, beckoning them forward with an ear. She turns to the rabbits and draws herself up with something approximating dignity. This is what Naberius lives for, and she can feel him stir with excitement within her. Her ragged voice lifts effortlessly to fill the glade.

"We are not from the yellow stingers. My name is Coney Massing. I am forty-eight years old, and I am the oldest rabite I have ever met. My children, Terryn and Mary, live nearby in Rabiton. My friends and I are here, and were looking for signs of Nemesis Owls -"

She glances up reflexively with just a pang of nerves, just at the mention of them.

"- in this area. My companions are very brave.

"When we saw the ritual you were attempting, I knew immediately that it would fail, and fail with unpredictable consequences. Your Holy One is talented but too young to be the centre of such a ceremony - far too young. You can't just fling mud around - it has to be carefully sifted, placed, shaped. This is a craft."

Coney also thought of Zanthia, and how her learning might have helped in this situation. Ah well. They would continue their search.

"However, if you explain your need, what you want, perhaps we can advise as to achieve it."

Show
    Does Coney know anything about Yellow Stingers? Knowledge Arcana? (1d20+1)[9]

15. - Top - End - #465
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum steps forward when given the sign, stopping a few steps behind and to the side of Coney, hair briefly and slowly billowing into an azure halo as he comes to a halt before sinking down, only slightly moving as if in an unfelt current. He shows a smile to the rabites, but does not speak otherwise, waiting for what this ritual is actually about.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar does step out from his cover, raising a hand to twiddle his fingers and smiling sheepishly. That helped, right? Unless they mistook it for baring his teeth like an animal...

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

When the others come into view, there is a bit of murmuring that grows louder when Coney tells of her age and when the Nemesis owls are mentioned there seems to be general shock with some glances upwards. The rabite who threw a stone even hobbled to a tree just to be safe.

Spoiler: Coney
    Show
    As it's only natural everyone freaks out a little bit when the Nemesis owls are mentioned. Even the silktail seems worried.

Spoiler: Larimar
    Show
    You wave and smile and the rabites seem to not be worried. Some even smile back at you.

Spoiler: Thaum
    Show
    You realize that only four rabites immediately react to the mentioning of the Nemesis owls. The others mimic the reaction of the other four. The silktail is the last to react and even then you're sure he doesn't reflect his own emotional state and also merely mimics.

When the general shock dies down a bit the spellcaster speaks again.

"We heard of you Miss Masing, it seems the tales were not at all exaggerated if you and your brave companions want to search out theÂ… Flying predators."

"I thought she was bigger." Mumbles the one who had bitten Coney.

"We wanted our sacred one to awaken. He has great power but it seems he can't consciously control it. So we practiced and practiced. The yellow stingers attacked us once, but they weren't able to snatch away our sacred one. We thought we finally had it figured out." He sighs. "But how were you able to figure out that the ritual would fail? Could you teach us how too make it right? If he's of the right age of course."

Spoiler: Coney
    Show
    You're don't remember the individual steps… But it's almost like it's in your muscle memory. That you could if you had the right ingredients… That you sadly don't remember.

Thaum, Larimar and Rina seem to be of interest from some rabites. They are two at your sides and they seem to smell you. One even playfully tugs at Larimar's robes with his ear.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2020-07-08 at 06:42 AM.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

The old rabite smiles at her companions, grateful for their calm and friendly demeanour.

"You are indeed fortunate to have a silktail of such great power. As for how I knew the ritual would fail, and how to fix it? I can give some pointers, but not enough to try it - yet. One of the disadvantages of getting old. Sometimes, you remember which way the river is, but not how to find the path to get there. But rushing your silktail into their full power before they're even fully awake is just as risky as perhaps losing them before they can protect you."

She ear-shrugged, and quickly tried to shift the topic.

"These are Rina, Thaum and Larimar. What are your names?"

She glances especially at the four who seemed to be driving the interaction, especially the spell caster.

"That was an expertly crafted sleep spell you used. Perhaps if it were closer to my nap time, I would have gone under. Did you gain your powers on your own, or have you trained with someone?"

Then, catching herself, she returns to a topic that had tweaked her earlier.

"I'm afraid it's been more than ten years since I was last in this area. Could you tell me what a Yellow Stinger is, and why they might be interested in you?"

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

When asked for names, four of the rabites go forth. The biter introduces himself as "Zark".

The Stonethrower is "Carvy".

The one who held back is "Houm".

and finally the spellcaster is "Agatha".

Agatha seems a bit flustered but still answers. "My powers somehow came with my awakening, they have developed a bit, but it seems not to the extent I needed to fully comprehend the necessary steps for the ritual."

When it comes to the yellow stingers Carvy speaks.

"There one of the three rabite tripes that didn't wanted to live in the village. They are also the blue singers and us the bark sleepers. The yellow stingers have somehow tamed some giant wasps! They're the most aggressive ones and want to integrate the others tribes into them."

The silktail comes a bit closer.

Spoiler: Map, in case it's needed.
    Show
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2020-07-09 at 03:00 AM.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

With the rabites sniffing Thaum, he squats down, letting them sniff his hands, and if they are still friendly enough (and do not seem like they might take exploratory hromps out of his hands), he begins providing scritches behind their ears. His fingers bring a comfortable warmth, unnaturally imbued with Undine's energies.

"There is no end to the troubles in this forest, it appears. Do you think these Yellow Stingers may attack you and the other tribe soon, perhaps the village as well?" Thaum asks the four sapient rabites.

"Are there many silktails in this forest?" May as well get a sense of how rare sighting one is.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2020-07-09 at 12:15 PM.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The rabites seem to don't want to take a bite out of Ridai's tasty fingers and deem them more suited to earscratching. It seems he is so good with that particular activity that he is soon swarmed by a bunch of the little guys who all demand a scratch, though not one of the group is left totally alone.

The other four rabites with names seem a bit worried at first, but they worries are soon left behind when they see how they all enjoy it so much.

"They will never attack the village, we all come from there after all, we just decided that we are all more suited to live in the wild with our brethren than in this society." Houm thinks for a moment. "We pushed the yellow stingers back recently, they would be foolish to attack us so shortly after they lost."

Agatha seems confused for a moment. "Silktail, huh?" He seems to supress the urge to touch the tail of his sacred one but then answers.

"They are not much here that is for sure. We have coaxed this one towards us, but the others seem more shy. If I should guess they are perhaps five but on the other hand they could also be 50 or even just two. Really depends on how good they are with hiding."

You all look up suddenly because a gust of wind rustels some leaves above you… Except there is no wind.

Show
    You are NOT surprised and can act any way you seem fit. Except Aned who surprisingly was the only one who failed this particular spot check. Weird.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

Well, it appears the silktails are not inherently a threat, so that is good. The sudden rustling without wind might be less good. Thaum looks up and around as he still tends to the rabites' rather voracious demand for scritches, trying to see what may have arrived... and if they should be worried.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney Massing

Coney was about to dive further into the conversation further when the leaves rustled above. With no wind. The only things that rustles leaves above are wind and predators.

Predators.

Coney speaks quickly to the rabites.

"Get your sacred one under cover!"

Crouching, she tries to overcome a mounting sense of terror and waits for a sign of where the owl is.

Show
    Coney readies an action to cast glitterdust on any area where he thinks there's a nemesis owl (or other elevated predator, I suppose). Will DC 18 or blinded.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

When in doubt, trust the ones who know what is going on. Thaum rises and starts to gather energy between his cupped hands, creating an ephemeral ball of water that shines through the gap between his fingers while the image of Undine forms above. Spreading his arms, the energy washes over the rabites and the group, fortifying them against what is likely to come.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Thaum casts recitation, granting a +3 luck bonus to AC, on attack rolls, and on saving throws due to Healer's Extension to all allies within 60ft for 8 rounds
    Last edited by Ridai; 2020-07-12 at 06:02 AM.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Just when the wave of energy conjured by Thaum washes over the rabites Agatha is pierced by sharp claws and an owl-creature like the one the party encountered in the beginning of the forest has grabed on to her. It appeared out of nowhere when it swooped down and grabed her.

"Finally a nice meal! Get them bo... Argh!"

The Nemesis owl screeches incoherently when it's hit by Coney's readied spell, it doesn't seem to be blinded but it has startled it, though she didn't lost her grip on the rabite in her claws.

Between Larimar and Rina a Needlion pops out, spins around and shoots needles everywhere.

Spoiler: OOC Thaum
    Show
    If you want you can make a Reflex save against 15 to take the brunt of the needle storm to protect the rabite on I14, I15 and H15, that would increase the damage by 5 and would eat up your move action in the following round.

Spoiler: Damage on Larimar, Coney and Rina, and three rabites, perhaps Thaum if he wants to intercede.
    Show
    (5d4)[13] The other rabites are protected by you or because the needle storm won't reach far enough.

There appears a needlion on Larimar, Coney, Rina and Aned that want to take a bite out of you.

Spoiler: Attacks
    Show

Attack on Larimar. (1d20+10)[13]
    Damage on Larimr (1d6+4)[9]
    Attack on Coney (1d20+10)[30]
    Damage on Coney (1d6+4)[9]
    Attack on Rina (1d20+10)[12]
    Damage on Rina (1d6+4)[5]
    Attack on Aned (1d20+10)[15]
    Damage on Aned (1d6+4)[9]
    Nobody of you is flat-footed except Aned.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney Massing

Curse our rabite nature. Are we destined to always be prey to these birds? Wait a minute. Owls eat Rabites. But Cats Eat Owls!

Turning to Rina, Coney gestured up at the Nemesis Owl.

"Ready to take the fight up to the source?"

Huddling down to avoid unwanted needlion attention, Coney attempts to swap Agatha and Rina's positions. Then her left ear fumbles on her back for a moment and pulls out a stick.

Show
    In original D&D, fireballs that went off in spaces too small to permit a 20'D sphere would spill out wherever they could. Which was great for getting rid of rat tunnels, for instance. You have no idea how much I want to reproduce this effect here, with the many and presumably interconnected Needlion tunnels. I'm NOT going to do that, to be clear.

Standard action: Trying to defensively (Concentration DC 15: [roll]1d20+11z[/roll]) cast Benign Transposition on Rina and Agatha.

Move action: draw her wand of alter self. Maybe we'll get some use out of this Amulet of Magic Fang after all!

Spoiler: Statblock
    Show

Coney Massing
    Female Neutral Rabite Binder 1 / Sorcerer 4 / Anima Mage 3, Level 8, Init 4, HP 24/45, Speed 20
    AC 21, Touch 16, Flat-footed 19, Fort 12, Ref 9, Will 17, Base Attack Bonus 4.17
    Attack counts as magic Bite +3 (1d4, )
    Mage Armour (+4 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Size, +1 Natural, +3 Misc)
    Abilities Str 8, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 22
    Condition Mage Armour in effect
    Bound Naberius
    Recitation in Effect

27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground

The owl snatches Agatha, needlions emerge spraying their namesake needles, and Thaum is already on the move, getting a back full of punctures to save some of the rabites from said fate. Clenching his jaw and breathing heavily through his nose as he deals with the pain, he is already gathering more energy from his inner reserves, dousing himself and whoever else is wounded (most importantly poor Agatha) in healing water, suffusing them and sealing their wounds, taking away their pain, and shielding them from future harm.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Cast mass cure light wounds, healing Thaum, Coney, Larimar, Rina, Agatha, and four other wounded friendlies (if any) for (1d8+33)[34] HP. If the target has been healed for at least half their hit dice, any excess healing becomes THP that lasts 8 rounds.

Spell slots
    0 6/6
    1 8/8
    2 7/7
    3 6/6
    4 2/5

Spoiler: Party Damage and Effects
    Show
    Aned 60/60 HP
    Coney 45/45 HP (7 THP)
    Larimar 43/43 HP (21 THP)
    Rina 42/42(?) HP (21 THP)
    Thaum 50/50 HP (16 THP)

Everyone (including the various rabites and the silktail) except Thaum: recitation (+3 luck to attack, saves, AC, 7 rounds)
    Last edited by Ridai; 2020-07-13 at 10:40 AM.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Orc in the Playground

Aned hangs in reserve, not quite knowledgeable enough to pass judgment over the rabites and their ritual. Certainly many would take an misplaced step when they felt endangered. However, Needlions bursting from the ground and snapping at her are a good deal easier to make up her mind about. Drawing her blade, she takes two chops at the offending creature. "Keep your fangs to yourself or risk losing them."

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Attack 1: (1d20+15)[31] Damage (1d6+1)[7]
    Attack 1: (1d20+10)[17] Damage (1d6+1)[7]

A roll of 15 or above will trigger a potential crit.
    With my dying breath
    Hear my warning I have said:
    "Don't call up what cannot be brought down"

29. - Top - End - #479
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar was bemusedly watching as a rabite was tugging at his robes.. what, had they never seen a Chobin before? The whole situation was still a bit awkward, though he was glad to let Coney do the talking, since it seemed like Coney had their attention and respect now, and was the only one that seemed to have a clue about what was going on...

Things were going well until there was that very suspicious rush of wind. He instinctively raised his bow again and found his mark, but a bunch of needlions had appeared as well. With his side taking a bunch of needles and dodging a needlion's bite, Larimar grunted a bit but still more or less ignored the creature, firing a volley at the nemesis owl.

Spoiler: ooc stuff
    Show
    Larimar Flint: 64/43 HP
    AC: 19
    Fortitude: 9 , Reflex: 13 , Will: 9
    Recitation for 8 rounds

Action: you guessed it.. Point Blank Rapid Shot!
    Attack 1: (1d20+17)[36]
    Damage 1: (1d6+7)[13] + (1d6)[1] nonlethal

Attack 2: (1d20+17)[31]
    Damage 2: (1d6+7)[12] + (1d6)[6] nonlethal

Attack 3: (1d20+12)[20]
    Damage 3: (1d6+7)[13] + (1d6)[4] nonlethal

Assuming Nemesis Owl is a magical creature. These attacks will also ignore concealment if the glitterdust would provide any. Precise shot should also allow Larimar to shoot at the owl without penalty or risk of hitting the rabite it grabbed.

As the needlions continued their assault, Larimar says, "Let me and Aned take the owl! The magic folk, take care of these pointy bastards!"
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2020-07-16 at 06:52 PM.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ettin in the Playground

Rina's bulky armor and her reflexive motion to cover her face with her huge gauntlet hopefully shields her from some of the spiney volley. She can't afford to take too much damage all at once!

Still, she willingly lets herself be displaced with Agatha; if her secret's about to be let out, better to be in front of a monster rather than an ally. Grimacing, feeling her teeth try to elongate, who knows if she can manage to keep herself together long enough to belt the owl creature with ...well... ONE of her two oversized blades...

Spoiler: OOC/rolls
    Show

So, I actually will need to take that reflex save, or else Rina will convulsively trigger her lycanthropy because 13 damage is 1/4th of her HP, even if he was subsequently healed: (1d20+9)[25]

If the roll fails, control shape: (1d20+10)[25]

If THAT roll fails, she'll attempt another CS to keep her hybrid form, which ends her turn.

If she passed the initial CS form or reflex save and can act normally, it's time to whack a birdie with a swordie: (1d20+8)[20]
    Damage: (1d12+4)[7]

<BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."