New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Extinction Curse- The Show Must Go On!

Giggles nods and begins to sneak forward, keeping close to Thwap as they both creep forward, trying to find the threat before it finds them...

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Stealth is at +8, Perception (Saving Throw) is at +7. Giggles will stay within an arms-length of Thwap, no further away.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vorgrok eyes the scene with irritable suspicion. His wordless answer to Giggles' question comes in the form of a slow creep toward the doors, hands adjusting their grip about the handle of his sledge.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Stealth is +4, Perception is +9.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

3. - Top - End - #903

Kehskaru and Ozkrak keep their distance behind the more stealthy part of the group. The iruxi has her shield at the ready, expecting trouble.

Spoiler
    Show
    Exploration mode: Keshkaru takes the Defend activity.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Titan in the Playground

The door slides open easily, smoothly, no doubt expertly hung on well-maintained hinges. Immediately past the door, the granite steps descend sharply. Beyond, it's plain to see something drew the fallen retainers here, and was much less concerned about hiding their actions in the depths. Dark red streaks the steps and a faintly tinny smell assaults the senses as you cautiously enter.

Oddly, the hallway beyond appears to be only just barely-worked natural stone, though even that is difficult to tell in the pervasive darkness. Empty torch sconces mounted on the wall betray what must be relatively recent neglect. About a dozen paces down the stairs- when you suspect you're essentially in a basement level- the steps turn to the left and level out into a short landing. A few paces later, the stairs appear again, descending deeper as the passage doubles back beneath the hermitage. The metallic smell of blood gives way to the sickly sweet scent of offal as you begin prowling deeper into the catacombs.

Map updated

At the bottom of the stairs, the purpose for the space suddenly becomes obvious (if it weren't already). The stairs suddenly split into a "T," with several burial niches lining the hallway in both directions. To the left, a faintly earthy scent weakly contends with the now overwhelming stench of death. To the right, the hallway turns again. Just past the turn, the bodies of the 3 slain retainers (and their slurk companion?) have been dumped unceremoniously on the floor- or what's left of them, at least. There simple doesn't appear to be enough mass in the disturbing pile to justify the number of corpses you recall from the day before.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Titan in the Playground

The sombre clown cautiously approaches the heap of bodies for a closer look... (perception is +4)

6. - Top - End - #906

NecromancerGuy

"Thwap! Be careful! I don't like this!" whispers Giggles, his blue, gnomish eyes wide at the sight of all the carnage and viscera. "Whatever brough them down here was sneaky and not nice." For his part, Giggles focuses on staying within an arms length of the goblin while keeping his eyes constantly searching for signs of danger...

Show
    Not really moving - though technically Giggles is probably stepping. He is really pretty freaked out by what he's seeing (and how it relates to what he has seen recently in the graveyard). +7 Perception (save).

7. - Top - End - #907
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Clearly not at all discomfited by the darkness, Vorgrok pads as softly as his thick limbs allow him in the opposite direction of Thwap and Giggles. His eyes narrow as the dwarf appraises the state of the apparent cave-in...

Show
    Examine the cave-in at U9.
    Perception is +9, Stealth is +4.

If there's nothing interesting about the cave-in (i.e. it looks natural and impassable) he will return to follow close on Giggles' heels.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Titan in the Playground

For better or worse, as Vorgrok begins to inspect the cave-in, Giggles and Thwap split the other way.

The smaller carnies discover a truly gruesome scene. What's left of the retainers has been piled here, for the most part. Something is missing from each corpse- a leg, an arm, one entire head. Perhaps fortunately, they're distracted from the immediate investigation by a terrific rumbling sound from behind them.....

Vorgrok cautiously approaches, trying to get a decent look at the rubble. Unfortunately, the wall is less stable than it appears, and merely his passage is enough to set off something of an after-tremor. As rocks come crashing down from the ceiling, Vorgrok suddenly finds himself pinned and struggling to recover his breath!

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Voorgrok takes 9 bludgeoning damage from falling rocks, and is pinned, and unable to breathe. DC 20 athletics to break free- up to two allies can aid.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Titan in the Playground

Thwap runs back, struggling with his small might to help free his companion.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Athletics (1d20+7)[9]

10. - Top - End - #910

NecromancerGuy

"Help us! Vorgrok's caught under some rubble!" calls Giggles, stealth thrown to the wind as he too struggles to help his dwarf friend.

Show
    Strength check: (1d20-1)[14]

11. - Top - End - #911
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vorgrok lets out a heavy grunt... and struggles to refill the exhaled air with a fresh breath. Silently gritting his teeth against the sudden weight, he pushes with all his might...

Show
    Athletics check: (1d20+9)[12]

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Vorgrok Giantforge
    Level 3 Neutral Neutral Dwarf Barbarian. Speed 20 ft, Medium Humanoid (Rock Dwarf), Rigger
    AC 18, Fort 9, Reflex 6, Will 9, Perception 9
    Rock Dwarf Heritage- +2 vs shove/trip/prone effects, half forced movement over 10 ft
    Dwarven Darkvision
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8
    HP 46/55

Conditions:
    Clumsy 1 (-1 to Dex-based DCs/checks) while wielding Large weapon
    Inspire Courage: +1 atk/dmg/saves vs fear
    Holding his breath: 6 rds remaining
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2022-11-04 at 09:21 PM.

12. - Top - End - #912

Keshkaru runs forward, unceremoniously pushing past Giggles' much smaller frame. She grabs a big rock to pull it out and relieve the weight on the unfortunate dwarf.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure if Keshkaru can get to a position to help. Still, she tries - Athletics [roll1d20+8[/roll]

13. - Top - End - #913
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    By the rules, V has 7 rounds of holding his breath, -2 per turn that he takes a significant action (which I'm interpreting the athletics checks to include). SO we've got up to 5 more rounds before he falls unconscious. I'm going to amend my previous ruling and say up to 3 characters can assist.

The dust begins to settle again, revealing a very trapped Vorgrok, buried up to his chest in rocks and debris! As the echoes of the renewed cave-in begin to subside, the burly carny struggles valiantly, but to no immediate avail!

14. - Top - End - #914
    Titan in the Playground

Thwap keeps bending his diminutive frame to the effort.
    Spoiler
    Show
    athletics (1d20+7)[15]

15. - Top - End - #915
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vorgrok's eyes widen as the rock fails to yield to his first efforts. Gritting his teeth, he sends his thick fingers scrambling within the pile, desperately searching for a solid grip from which to exert his muscular efforts...

Show
    Another Athletics effort: (1d20+9)[28]

16. - Top - End - #916

NecromancerGuy

Giggles continues to strain to clear the rocks from Vorgrok. "Shouldn't have skipped leg-day!"

Show
    Strength Check (1d20-1)[15].

17. - Top - End - #917
    Titan in the Playground

With a mighty effort (and a little help from his friends), Vorgrok largely frees himself from the rubble. As he does so, several more stones clatter to the floor, echoing loudly throughout the catacombs.

The immediate danger passed, he begins brushing himself off, revealing no small number of new scrapes and bruises beginning to form on his arms.

Show
    There was HP damage to be handled as well, but otherwise back to exploring?

18. - Top - End - #918

NecromancerGuy

With a sigh of relief Giggles tries to help Vorgrok up, offering a small hand and pulling (largely ineffectually). Once his dwarf friend rises the gnome looks around and groans. "I think stealth is out, everyone," he announces. "Anything down here knows we're here, so let's all come together, alright?" he calls up to the rest of the party as he turns to look out into the rest of the hallways. Then he smiles and raises his voice, calling into the darkness: "Ready or not, here we come!" He then uses a cantrip to make a coin glow brightly and holds it aloft to look around more closely...

Show
    Given the situation, casting Light and then using Perception: (1d20+7)[24] actively.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vorgrok breathes a heavy sigh of relief as he manages too shove the bulk of the dislodged rock off of himself, rolling heavily to the side and away from danger. "Thanks," he rumbles out in a voice somewhat more gravelly than normal. He turns, about to speak to the remainder of the party, but a sudden wince interrupt the movement, and the dwarf turns gingerly to assess a new scrape on his torso. Squinting in irritation, he digs for his healer's tools...

Show
    Medicine check: (1d20+7)[21] for (2d8)[4] healing.

Edit: Afterward, Vorgrok will move to join Giggles at the front of the procession.
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2022-11-24 at 06:08 PM.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Titan in the Playground

Thwap follows, eyes open for any sign of structural weakness.

21. - Top - End - #921
    Ettin in the Playground

Adrian Godsglory
    AC: 18 | HP: 32 | Current: 32
    Fortitude: +7 | Reflex: +10| Will: +7 | Perception: +7
    Active Effects: None.
    Conditions: None.

trotting along with the rest of the group, Adrian looked around a bit. He was a bit slow in following the people, as he felt the need to gather whatever baubles and knicknacks he could collect along the way while fashioning himself a sling out of any scraps of clothing he could find.

"You know, even if they did bring it down there.. I think down is the wrong way to go, at least for Kurgan and I. Up is more likely the way to go. Down only leads you that way. Demonic trees and undercults down there. While I want my bell and dice back, I'm not one for a death wish. Give me a night in town a few silver and I can see about helping you with... he waved a hand about, "Whatever this is. Smells like money and I'm sure to help get you paid back, Godsglory always repays his debts."
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

22. - Top - End - #922

NecromancerGuy

Giggles nods, content to return to the (creepy) basement after their new companions are armed and prepared to help. "Alright, now that Vorgrok is free we can go back up. I didn't like it down here anyway..." he says as he takes the lead again and begins creeping further into the monastery. "Can someone secure this door behind us?" he asks as he passes through the portal and heads across the way to listen at the opposite door (south of T21).

Show
    Perception (1d20+7)[16] to listen against the door and search for traps and (1d20+8)[21] Thievery to disable any traps found.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vorgrok shrugs impassively, dutifully shuffling back toward the stairs leading up into the main area of the monastery. He turns to glower, briefly, at the tunnel branch leading to the cave-in, but other than a grunt of annoyance, he says nothing.

24. - Top - End - #924
    Titan in the Playground

Kurgan Steelbeard

Kurgan shivered in the cool air of the cave as he followed the others clad in rags, his beard ragged and flowing down his chest. A crude sling was wrapped around his upper left arm and a pouch of stones at his waist. He clutched large chunk of wood as a crude club in his hand. "Aye, Adrian. I may be looking to expunge my honour but I want me axe or sword in hand and not just a piece of wood and dressed in rags. " Looking at the others he gestured back up, "Did you kill anthing that had useful weapons and armour that way?"
    Last edited by DrK; 2022-12-04 at 05:21 PM.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

25. - Top - End - #925
    Titan in the Playground

Thap shrugs, They had weapons, its all a bit of a blur. May be best to give you a chance to rest up first regardless."

26. - Top - End - #926
    Ettin in the Playground

Adrian Godsglory
    AC: 18 | HP: 32 | Current: 32
    Fortitude: +7 | Reflex: +10| Will: +7 | Perception: +7
    Active Effects: None.
    Conditions: None.

"Well then.. thats one two.. three? of us that either need to get equipped with some sort of provisioning equipment or out of here. After all, I don't want to tell you all how to do your jobs, but it would seem to me that you've got a hard enough time protecting yourselves let alone three mostly ineffective individuals. Sadly monastery training wasn't a particular focus for me. My pursuits where more of that of coin and tongue, and as Kurgan said, he much more prefers to ax a questin. Not sure about other man though.. The mayor was it? Well if we do happen to come upon our things, may still want to get him out of here if we can, don't remember much other than apparently the druids here very much do not like to write down scrolls and are rather violent about it."
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

27. - Top - End - #927

The tall iruxi replies to Kurgan: "As a matter of fact, we did. We were attacked by a pair of... I don't know... maybe they were clerics, but they called for demonic summons. We finished them, just as they were about to finish us." The sorry state of her armor is testimony enough, pierced as it is in multiple places with a few traces of her own dried, yellow blood still visible.

"Anyway, they used tridents. A more suitable weapon for a warrior. I think we left them by the shed outside? Gathering them would be just the matter of a moment."

28. - Top - End - #928
    Titan in the Playground

Equipped in leathers and a trident, the warrior is at least less ill prepared for facing the denizens of the hermitage. Still, it will be a relief to recover their equipment, when it can be found.

Giggles hears nothing and without much excitement discovers a small washroom across the hall from the steps to the catacombs. Empty bowls are mounted just above waist height (for a human), and a handful of robes hang hooked on the near wall. One robe lies forgotten and ignored on the floor. Once, no doubt, the hermits took ceremonial cleansing very seriously. By the room's disuse, you can surmise they have abandoned such concerns.

29. - Top - End - #929
    Titan in the Playground

Kurgan Steelbeard

Dressed in pathed leathers that barely fit over his squat and wide form and clutching a trident Kurgan is still no happier. "These are filthy rags" he grumbles as he then looks around the disused little room. Looking at the others he gestures to the doors, "Which one will take us back to town and out of this place so we can make sure we are properly equipped. I know you said you were looking for someone, I can help, it sounds a useful cause and I owe you for saving my life, but I'll need something better than this toothpick" he adds the last rapping the haft of the trident sharply.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

30. - Top - End - #930

NecromancerGuy

Giggles looks about the washroom curiously. "This would have been nice, though they don't seem too concerned with cleanliness anymore. Think it has something to do with the demons...probably..." he says as he trails off. Looking back at his new companions in their cast-offs he sighs. "I don't like stopping, but we need you both armed and armored. Do we need to go back to town? We can make the Mayor safe and then come back..."

If the party delays to make a decision Giggles seems to get distracted, though he's learning too. With a sigh he tugs on Vorgrok and Thwap's sleeves and thumbs over his shoulder to the west. Then the little blue gnome begins creeping towards the large room with the mural, heading to the north side of the room. He thoroughly checks the first door, from which the spellcaster and demons surged the day before. Then, once he's sure it's clear he continues to the longer passageway (at M15) and begins to slink down that way...

Show
    More Stealth (+8) and Perception (+7). Thievery (+8) if any possible traps or other targets appear.