New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e V: The Disadvantage Strikes Back

Quote Originally Posted by Shadean207 View Post
    Q 200:

I am a Samurai using Fighting Spirit and, on declaring my first weapon attack, also use Rapid Strikes. I then lose the advantage on both the normal and bonus attack coming from Rapid Strikes.
    If, just before me, the Cleric successfully cast Guiding Bolt on my target, do I regain the advantage on the first (regular) attack that had been influenced by Rapid Strikes?
    A200:

You've got the order of operations wrong. The cleric cast guiding bolt before your turn. So when you go to make your first attack, you already have advantage on that roll regardless of whether you use Fighting Spirit or not. Rapid Strike negates that advantage, regardless of its source.

Powers &8^]
    Last edited by LtPowers; 2021-02-28 at 10:04 AM.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Dwarf in the Playground

Halfling enchanter wizard + telekinetic. Is there anything under RAW stopping me from using the 2nd level maintained charm + moving into the enemy's space + using telekinetic shove to (very slowly) push an enemy off a cliff or into something lethal?

3. - Top - End - #513
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hairfish View Post
    Halfling enchanter wizard + telekinetic. Is there anything under RAW stopping me from using the 2nd level maintained charm + moving into the enemy's space + using telekinetic shove to (very slowly) push an enemy off a cliff or into something lethal?
    A201: You cannot occupy the same space as another creature under normal circumstances. Halfling Nimbleness allows you to move through the space, but it still doesn't allow you to stop in it while the other creature is there. If you have a RAW means of entering their space while having access to those abilities still I see nothing that would prevent this.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Q 202:

Does Great Weapon Fighting allow rerolls on multiple damage dice? Meaning, if I score a crit and roll 4d6 on a Greatsword to an outcome of 1, 1, 2, 2, can I reroll all of those dice once? The wording seems very, very ambiguous, because there is no explicit limitation to only one damage die per roll...

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ogre in the Playground

A202:

There is no limitation on the number of dice from a single damage roll that you can reroll. You can reroll each die only once, though.

I'm surprised you find it ambiguous. In order for there to be a limitation, it would have to be explicitly stated as such.

Powers &8^]

6. - Top - End - #516
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Q203. I know barbarians add their Con to their AC, and monks add their Wis, but are there any ways to add Str, Int, or Cha?
    Last edited by OrbanSirgen; 2021-03-08 at 01:46 AM.

7. - Top - End - #517

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OrbanSirgen View Post
    Q203. I know barbarians add their Con to their AC, and monks add their Wis, but are there any ways to add Str, Int, or Cha?
    A203
    Bladesinger subclass can add Int to their AC while bladesinging (so not always on). Note that in your examples, those classes provide an alternate method of calculating the AC, so they don’t stack with other methods. The bladesinger, however, is a bonus that can be applied to your AC without changing the calculation method.
    Emongnome

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q204

Rolling a 'Nat 1' on a saving throw or ability check, is NOT an auto failure, right?

(1/20 auto fail/succeed only applies to attack rolls and death saves)

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ogre in the Playground

A204

That's correct. There's nothing about rolling 1s or 20s anywhere in the "Using Ability Scores" chapter of the Player's Handbook, which details both saving throws and ability checks.

Powers &8^]

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Thanks LT.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q205

Is there a clear answer to if the monks "deflect missile" feature works with the sharpshooter feats power attack?
    The sharpshooter feat requires you to make a ranged weapon attack, but I believe deflect missile does not clarify if the attack is a ranged weapon or a thrown melee weapon.
    Is the answer possibly different depending on what ammunition is caught?
    Last edited by whateew; 2021-03-11 at 11:26 PM.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

A 205
    Regardless of whether you're attacking with a ranged weapon or whether you're throwing a melee weapon, you are going to be making a ranged weapon attack. In the case of a thrown weapon, it is just a ranged weapon attack made with a melee weapon.

The monk ability Deflect Missiles says, "If you catch a missile in this way, you can spend 1 ki point to make a ranged attack with a range of 20/60 using the weapon or piece of ammunition you just caught, as part of the same reaction. You make this attack with proficiency, regardless of your weapon proficiencies, and the missile counts as a monk weapon for the attack." (emphasis mine) That seems like you are making a ranged weapon attack back at them. Sharpshooter should work with this.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Q 206
    Can an Astral Self monk who has a natural weapon use the damage die of the natural weapon in place of their normal unarmed strike damage, or martial arts die? The Arms of the Astral Self stipulate that the attack must be made "with the arms" and the natural weapons say "if you hit with [the natural weapon], you deal..."

14. - Top - End - #524
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LumenPlacidum View Post
    Q 206
    Can an Astral Self monk who has a natural weapon use the damage die of the natural weapon in place of their normal unarmed strike damage, or martial arts die? The Arms of the Astral Self stipulate that the attack must be made "with the arms" and the natural weapons say "if you hit with [the natural weapon], you deal..."
    A206

If you want the benefits of using Arms of the Astral Self (Wisdom modifier to hit and damage, damage type Force, etc.), you have to use the Astral arms to make your unarmed strikes. Your natural weapons are not the same as or interchangeable with the Astral arms.

Powers &8^]

15. - Top - End - #525
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Q 207

Can a Bard who takes the Fey Touched feat choose Detect Magic and cast it as a Ritual or does that only apply to spells learned through Bard spells chosen?

Ritual Casting
    You can cast any bard spell you know as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag.

Fey Touched
    You learn the Misty Step spell and one 1st-level spell of your choice. The 1st-level spell must be from the divination or enchantment school of magic. You can cast each of these spells without expending a spell slot. Once you cast either of these spells in this way, you can’t cast that spell in this way again until you finish a long rest. You can also cast these spells using spell slots you have of the appropriate level.
    Last edited by Rub; 2021-03-19 at 01:01 AM.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

A207: RAW, no, you cannot use feat-based spells (at the least not that feat) in the Ritual Casting feature of a Bard. They are not "Bard Spells" as per the feat.

This is in contrast to things like the Ravnica backgrounds, where it explicitly says:
    Quote Originally Posted by Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica
    For you, the spells on the Boros Guild Spells table are added to the spell list of your spellcasting class. (If you are a multiclass character with multiple spell lists, these spells are added to all of them.)
    (Similar for all guilds, I just grabbed the Boros quote)

For another example, Divine Soul Sorcerers have a section that says:
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanathar's Guide to Everything
    When your Spellcasting feature lets you learn or replace a sorcerer cantrip or a sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher, you can choose the new spell from the cleric spell List or the sorcerer spell list. You must otherwise obey all the restrictions for selecting the spell, and it becomes a sorcerer spell for you.
    Again, "becomes a sorcerer spell for you" or the like. Other "spell list" features have this wording as well, so that's the idea there.

So since the quoted feat does not have similar text, then the wording of the Bard Ritual Casting feature is explicit about "Bard Spells" which means you can't use it to cast them.

So IMO that's the RAW answer.

That being said, at my table I'd let you, but that's not RAW. Talk to your DM. Most I know let you cast racial/feat spells like they're your class spells, but that's RAI.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q208

Is there any familiar option from find familiar that has a burrow speed? I don't think any of the standard options can, but I know that various campaign books introduced optional new familiars.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q209

What happens when the invisible servant from the unseen servant spell puts on equipment, such as a hat or a pair of gloves - does it turn invisible, like equipment with the invisibility spell, or does it remain floating in air?
    For example, if I gave an unseen servant a necklace to wear, would it appear to be floating in air, or once it is "equipped" it disappears?

19. - Top - End - #529

GnomeWizardGuy

A208

According to D&D Beyond, the only CR 0 beasts with burrow speeds are badger (MM), Fox & Hare (RotM, plus chimeric versions). Limiting it to CR 0 and using beasts isn't RAW, but seems consistent.

In Appendix C of RotM, it says, "If the adventuring party includes a wizard who can prepare the find familiar spell, consider allowing the wizard to add the fox and the hare to the spell’s list of eligible familiars." Without a specific statement like that, creatures outside the list in the Find Familiar spell cannot be used as familiars. I'm not aware of badgers being a "specific" exception, but I could be wrong.

Since this is the RAW thread, I should note that the wording in the adventures says, "consider allowing". I guess it isn't RAW, since it's presented as a DM option. But maybe that's getting in the weeds.

Lastly, so you're aware, both of those creatures burrow speed are 5ft.
    Emongnome

20. - Top - End - #530
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q210

Thank you Emongnome , but now I have a new question - does dashing affect burrow speed? And does a creatures burrow leave behind a path? If not, does it provide cover while you are in the ground?
    Last edited by whateew; 2021-03-20 at 12:08 PM.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eriol View Post
    A207: RAW, no, you cannot use feat-based spells (at the least not that feat) in the Ritual Casting feature of a Bard. They are not "Bard Spells" as per the feat.

This is in contrast to things like the Ravnica backgrounds, where it explicitly says:

(Similar for all guilds, I just grabbed the Boros quote)

For another example, Divine Soul Sorcerers have a section that says:

Again, "becomes a sorcerer spell for you" or the like. Other "spell list" features have this wording as well, so that's the idea there.

So since the quoted feat does not have similar text, then the wording of the Bard Ritual Casting feature is explicit about "Bard Spells" which means you can't use it to cast them.

So IMO that's the RAW answer.

That being said, at my table I'd let you, but that's not RAW. Talk to your DM. Most I know let you cast racial/feat spells like they're your class spells, but that's RAI.
    I must disagree. The text that says something becomes "a Bard spell for you" (or any other class) is specifically about spells that normally are not on the Bard (or whatever class) list. If it already is a Bard spell, it is a Bard spell regardless of how you learn it. It is a Bard spell by virtue of being a spell on the Bard class list. It is also a Wizard spell, and any other class whose list it appears on, for whatever good that does you.

22. - Top - End - #532

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by whateew View Post
    Q209

What happens when the invisible servant from the unseen servant spell puts on equipment, such as a hat or a pair of gloves - does it turn invisible, like equipment with the invisibility spell, or does it remain floating in air?
    For example, if I gave an unseen servant a necklace to wear, would it appear to be floating in air, or once it is "equipped" it disappears?
    A209: It would remain visible.
    The spell Unseen Servant does not create an invisible creature that serves you. It creates an "invisible, mindless, shapeless force." Creatures can equip items; mindless, shapeless forces cannot. Furthermore, a shapeless force does not have a head on which to put a hat, hands to wear gloves, etc. As per the Druid's Wildshape ability, you can't equip items for which you lack the physiology.
    Regarding the invisibility spell, to make something vanish it is sufficient to pick it up; it does not need to be equipped. But again, the unseen servant is not a creature under the effect of the Invisibility spell; it's a natively invisible force, like the wind. Nothing in the spell Unseen Servant suggests that objects picked up by the force inherit its invisibility.
    Last edited by NecessaryWeevil; 2021-03-22 at 12:05 PM.
    Proclaiming something "objectively" true or false does not excuse you from proving it so.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    I must disagree. The text that says something becomes "a Bard spell for you" (or any other class) is specifically about spells that normally are not on the Bard (or whatever class) list. If it already is a Bard spell, it is a Bard spell regardless of how you learn it. It is a Bard spell by virtue of being a spell on the Bard class list. It is also a Wizard spell, and any other class whose list it appears on, for whatever good that does you.
    I think if this goes any further, it should be its own thread, but I see your point, and that could indeed be RAW. Worth thinking about for sure.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Actually I tried selecting Detect Magic with the Fey Touched feat on my Bard's D&D Beyond character sheet and it isn't listed as a Ritual Spell. I think the original person who commented was correct.

25. - Top - End - #535

GnomeWizardGuy

A210

Yes, you can dash using any movement type.

As for the other question, I don’t think there’s a RAW answer, but I believe creatures that don’t leave a tunnel when burrowing explicitly say so, such as an earth elemental. I’d say rabbits and foxes leave holes where they burrow. A rabbit or fox has total cover when burrowing so long as a creature can’t get line of sight on it.
    Emongnome

26. - Top - End - #536
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eriol View Post
    I think if this goes any further, it should be its own thread, but I see your point, and that could indeed be RAW. Worth thinking about for sure.
    See my previous reply. I believe you are correct at least as far as RAW. I too would let it slide if I were a DM though.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Q211

Can a person be resurrected as per the spell Ressurection with only a finger available?

To clarify:
    Raise Dead clearly states no, so that spell cannot be used. Ressurection states that it restores any missing body parts. However, Reincarnation states that you can touch "a dead humanoid or a piece of a dead humanoid", whereas the Ressurection spell states that you "touch a dead creature." I'm not sure that a loose finger counts as a "dead creature", which is required to be touched in the Ressurection spell, but not for Reincarnation.

Thanks!

28. - Top - End - #538
    Pixie in the Playground

Q212:

Is there a magic item that will stop you from being banished?

We were joking about playing PVP, and people were showing fear of my level 12 hunter ranger with sharpshooter. While we were speaking, I realized that the easiest thing a wizard could do is just banish me and I'd be done. Wondering if there's a magic item, or another method to stop myself being banished. I thought about wearing dimensional shackles like a bracelet, but according to the text the creature has to be incapacitated when you put them on.

Got any ideas on how to protect yourself from this fate?

29. - Top - End - #539
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by redsonja View Post
    Q212:

Is there a magic item that will stop you from being banished?
    A212

Sure. Cloak of invisibility.

Powers &8^]
    Last edited by LtPowers; 2021-03-27 at 08:56 AM.

30. - Top - End - #540

Q213

A Shield Guardian's stored spell requires no components. That means that it can't be countered, as there are no visual or audible indications that a spell is being cast, correct?

Thank you in advance!
    D20 Modern Complete HTML SRD
    (Contains D20 Modern (core), Urban Arcana, d20 Future and d20 Modern Menace Manual -> In a fun format)