New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC 2

Rakieth looks for the traps at and around the double doors leading west. He does not find any. The doors do not seem to be locked, so you try to open them. Beyond, is a straight corridor leading west. A total of ten wood+iron doors line the northern and southern walls, five doors to a side. Each door bears an identical inscription on its face, made in dark letters just large enough to read comfortably, as does the blank wall at the western end. Only the easternmost door to the north seems to have a different inscription on it - this door is also caked with a sheen of frost.

Spoiler: Thassolonian
    Show
    "Touch to enter." x10
    "Sorshen, the Runelord of Lust. Touch to enter." x1

2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground

Adalbert Hornwood
    Halfling Mage
    AC: 18 HP: 26/26
    touch: 14, ff: 15, CMD: 13
    Conditions: Anger +1, Mage Armor (4h), Longstrider (5h))

The doors bid us to enter. Yet one specifically asks for the Runelord of Lust, Sorshen. Adalbert looks at Lizuga and pauses more than just a minute. Do you want to try? We don't know who this body belongs to, but we assume they are a runelord's replacements. I would prefer to enchant you with magic to prevent ice from chilling you to the bone....but alas this is another charm I have yet to master. I can try the other doors with a magical push if it is enough to open them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Pushing a door with Mage Hand. I know there is an open/close spell, which should probably be more fitting though.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ettin in the Playground

Pushing the frosted door with Mage Hand seems to do nothing much. Like, nothing at all, actually. The door does not budge.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu
    "I want to try one of the lesser doors first". Lizuga sets down her hammer, leaning against the wall, and pushes the door open with her hand.
    Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    AC 22, Touch 13, FF 20, CMD 20|Fort +5 Ref +2 Will +7|HP: 37/37
    Perception +10, Initiative +2
    [I]Triage 3/4. Maneuvers readied: Encouraging Roar, Kill the Wounded, Curate's Strike (heals 12 or new save), Oaken Shield (Counter +4 AC), Piercing Strike (+5' reach, attack two targets next to each other). Stance: Spoils of War (successful attacks heal 4)
    Semper ludens.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ettin in the Playground

Lizuga pushes the door. It does not budge.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

Adalbert Hornwood
    Halfling Mage

Maybe touch it with fire or ice? Adalbert says as he summons an orb of ice, and a particular spell word later, the orb starts burning blue. The halfling mage hurls it at a lesser door.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Ray of Frost as both cold and fire damage.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ettin in the Playground

The feat does not do much either. That is, the door is not noticiably damaged and does not seem like it is to open itself.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

Adalbert Hornwood
    Halfling Mage

Finally out of patience, the halfling removes his glove and touches the door in earnest. He closes his eyes and turns his body away as if expecting a magical explosion.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ettin in the Playground

Adalbert touches, with his bare hand, the closest door to the south. It easily swings open, revealing a rather small 10x15-feet bedroom with a single wide bed. The light automatically turns on in the room as the door is opened. A closer examination reveals that the bed was used some reasonably short time ago, but there seems to be no actual "possessions" from the inhabitant.

Spoiler: If you check the rest of those normal-looking doors
    Show
    There is a similar bedroom behind each and every door that you try. Most of the beds seem to have been used some reasonably short time ago. Apart from the beds, the rooms seem to contain nothing much.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu
    "Recently used beds, huh? We saw the mercenaries on our first expedition, and the armor of these gray maidens. Still... I wouldn't choose to sleep in these rooms, I think. Someone lives here". Lizuga takes off her gauntlet and lays her bare hand against the last door.
    Show
    AC 22, Touch 13, FF 20, CMD 20|Fort +5 Ref +2 Will +7|HP: 37/37
    [I]Triage 3/4. Maneuvers readied: Encouraging Roar, Kill the Wounded, Curate's Strike (heals 12 or new save), Oaken Shield (Counter +4 AC), Piercing Strike (+5' reach, attack two targets next to each other). Stance: Spoils of War (successful attacks heal 4)
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2022-04-02 at 03:22 AM.
    Semper ludens.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ettin in the Playground

The door explodes in a huge blast of ice.

Spoiler: Anyone within 40 feet and having a LoS to the action
    Show
    Take (10d6)[34] cold damage, reflex 19 for half
    Spoiler: Any survivors
    Show
    There seems to be no room beyond this door, just a solid stone wall.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

Rakieth Anlec

Rakieth had trailed after Lizuga, eyeing the rooms carefully and searching about cautiously as they uncovered all the small bedrooms. "Aye, a strange thing, we have not seen amny living people here have we? I know there was that dhamphir, then also the demonic looking fellow who fled. But this would suggest there may be more." ANy further thoughts are interrupted by the vast blast of ice that engulfs the corridor, luckily the split second delay it took was just enough for Rakieth to slip into a doorframe. he winced as the ice shredded his left arm and leg and then limped out, a cry of "Lizuga, are you okay?" as he shuffled towards the warrior-medic

Spoiler:
    Show

HPs 18 / 33 Saves +2/8/4 (+2 Vs Enchant, +2 vs Traps)
    AC 20 (FF 20 Touch 15) +4 dodge = 24 Init +7 (+11) Perception +9 (11 vs traps) Darkvision 60ft/Lowlight vision

Abilities
    Inspiration 5 /5 Remaining (+1d6 on skill check, Free on Knowledge/S.motive Perception, 2 points for Saves / Attack rolls)
    Sneak Attack +2d6
    Trapfinding +2
    Uncanny Dodge

Path of War
    Active Stances: Body of the Night
    Body of Night (Heal ranks to Stealth, +4 to hit/+1d6 dam Vs FFooted)
    Scarlet Einhander (If one weapon fighting, +1d6 damage, +2 shield AC)
    Riven Hourglass (+4 Dodge AC/Initiative, Immune to Slow, 20% Spell Miss chance)

Moves
    Hunting Serpent (strike)
    Dizzying Venom (boost)
    Flash kick (boost)
    Sun Dips Low (Counter)
    Iron Fang (strike)
    Sight Piercing Fang (strike)

Instead of recovering maneuvers like a standard stalker, a vigilante must open his mind to the flow of battle and the inherent patterns therein as a full-round action. When he does so, he recovers a number of expended maneuvers equal to his vigilante initiation modifier (minimum 2), gains a +4 insight bonus to his AC for one round and can move up to to his speed during the action, provoking attacks of opportunity as normal. In addition, the next attack he makes this encounter adds his sneak attack damage if it hits, regardless of whether or not the target his flanked or flat-footed. Alternately, the vigilante can center his awareness and recover a single maneuver as a standard action.

Conditional effects

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

13. - Top - End - #433
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu
    Lizuga immediately senses that something is wrong; she instintively raises her shield and turns sideways, taking only shallow frostburns on her arms and chest, and more survivable ones on her legs.

She immediately turns to her friends, concern painted all over her face. "Is everyone okay? I am sorry, i'm so sorry..."
    Show
    AC 22, Touch 13, FF 20, CMD 20|Fort +5 Ref +2 Will +7|HP: 20/37
    Semper ludens.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

Adalbert Hornwood
    Halfling Mage
    AC: 18 HP: -8/26
    Conditions: Anger +1, Mage Armor (4h), Longstrider (5h)), unconscious, dying.

Adalbert realizes his theory was wrong entirely too late. All he can do is watch the door blast the room with an icy wind. His bronzed adventurer skin is turned an unhealthy blue hue, and as he drops his petasos cracks and lands next to him.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am at -8 and steadily bleeding out.

Last edited by Spore; 2022-04-03 at 09:07 AM.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu
    Lizuga rushes over to heal Adalbert.
    Show
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2022-04-03 at 12:07 PM.
    Semper ludens.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ettin in the Playground

As Krusk comes out of yet another mostly empty room saying "This one seems mostly empty too" as he looks towards Lizuga approaching the last door and touching it, he jumps back just as the explosive ice shoots down the hall, avoiding the brunt of the blast.

Krusk follows Lizuga as she rushes back to help Adalbert. Without being able to directly help, Krusk goes back to the trapped door to check what is behind it. "There doesn't appear to be anything here, just a stone wall. That was quite a strong trap to be protecting a bunch of empty living quarters. Once Adalbert is safe we'll have to check out this wall a bit closer, there must be some other magical elements to it."

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

Adalbert Hornwood
    Halfling Mage
    AC: 18 HP: 11/26

After everything goes dark for the halfling, he feels the touch of a warm hand upon his chest. Slowly, he opens his eyes to the weird new form of Lizuga. Warmth washes over him as she states. My theory was wrong. I guess the body is not the thing this trap checks. He rises, and pats ice crystals out of his robe. Annoyed he stashes his cracked hat away.

I was never one with patience for traps anyway. Rakieth, may you lead on? I suspect the wall is either an illusion, or needs to be moved via another mechanism.

Last edited by Spore; 2022-04-06 at 01:33 PM.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ettin in the Playground

You check the stone wall behind the blasted door. It seems solid, and natural, and does not appear to be going anywhere. The only magical aura it has is very weak lingering one, which you can attribute to the trap and expect to completely fade sooner rather than later. Speaking of walls, there is another seemingly solid wall at the end of the corridor, marked, in Thassilonian, "Touch to enter". It also does not seem to be going anywhere, but that wall you have not tried to touch...
    Last edited by u-b; 2022-04-05 at 12:27 PM.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

Rakieth Anlec

Limping along after the others he glares at the trapped wall and then nods towards the blank looking wall at the far end of the corridor. "I'll go and check this one first.". Holding the icy burns he shakes his head, "We should heal up a little before trying this door"

Spoiler:
    Show

Trapfinding (1d20+11)[19] + (1d6)[1]

AC 20 (FF 20 Touch 15) +4 dodge = 24 Init +7 (+11) Perception +9 (11 vs traps) Darkvision 60ft/Lowlight vision

Abilities
    Inspiration 5 /5 Remaining (+1d6 on skill check, Free on Knowledge/S.motive Perception, 2 points for Saves / Attack rolls)
    Sneak Attack +2d6
    Trapfinding +2
    Uncanny Dodge

Path of War

Moves
    Hunting Serpent (strike)
    Dizzying Venom (boost)
    Flash kick (boost)
    Sun Dips Low (Counter)
    Iron Fang (strike)

Instead of recovering maneuvers like a standard stalker, a vigilante must open his mind to the flow of battle and the inherent patterns therein as a full-round action. When he does so, he recovers a number of expended maneuvers equal to his vigilante initiation modifier (minimum 2), gains a +4 insight bonus to his AC for one round and can move up to to his speed during the action, provoking attacks of opportunity as normal. In addition, the next attack he makes this encounter adds his sneak attack damage if it hits, regardless of whether or not the target his flanked or flat-footed. Alternately, the vigilante can center his awareness and recover a single maneuver as a standard action.

Conditional effects

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ettin in the Playground

Either there are no more traps to be found, or someone made a good job hiding them, Rakieth is not absolutely sure which.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu
    Rakieth, hold on". Lizuga walks over and lays her hands on him.

Healer's Hands; Take 10 on a Heal check to heal 10 hp
    Show
    Healer's Hand 3/5
    Triage 4/4. Maneuvers readied: Encouraging Roar, Kill the Wounded, Curate's Strike (heals 12 or new save), Oaken Shield (Counter +4 AC), Piercing Strike (+5' reach, attack two targets next to each other). Stance: Spoils of War (successful attacks heal 4)
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2022-04-08 at 02:10 AM.
    Semper ludens.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ettin in the Playground

Iris

Iris steps back into the hallway just as the magical trap blasts lethal frost past. It catches her in the side, spinning her back. She groans, crawling slowly to her feet one arm held close as it refuses to move properly. "Ungh!" is about all she can manage, "Let's....let's just not do that again"

She pulls a slender rod from her waist and waves it across her body, signs of frostbite disappearing.

Spoiler: Wand of CLW
    Show
    Wand of CLW until healed
    (1d8+1)[3]
    (1d8+1)[8]
    (1d8+1)[7]
    (1d8+1)[8]
    (1d8+1)[5]
    (1d8+1)[6]
    (1d8+1)[8]

Show
    Iris of Shelyn
    F NG Human (Varisian) Inquisitor (Urban Infiltrator), Level 5, Init 7, HP 24/24, Speed 30ft
    AC 20, Touch 16, Flat-footed 16, CMD 21, Fort 3, Ref 5, Will 7, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 3
    +1 Composite Longbow (+2 Str) +8 (+3 BAB, +4 Dex, +1 weapon) (1d8+3, x3)
    Battle aspergillum +5 (+3 BAB, +2 Str) (1d6+2, x2)
    Dagger +5 (+3 BAB, +2 Str) or ranged +7 (+3 BAB, +4 Dex) (1d4+2, 19-20/ x2)
    Mithral MW Chain Shirt Armour (+4 Armor, +4 Dex, +2 Misc)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 18, Con 8, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 10
    Condition
    *Lucky Number [18](24 hours): reroll or +2 Luck bonus if number [18] rolled
    *Adoration: immediate sanctuary (Will DC15)
    *Agent of Chance: immediate - adjacent ally can reroll a skill check

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

Rakieth Anlec

Looking back from the wall Rakieth breathes a sigh of relief as he see's Iris appearing safely from around the corner of the small doorway. Limping up to her nods to the wand in her hand. "May I please avail myself of that. Lizuga's fine hands helped a lot but there is still a sizeable chunk of skin missing," he grins. Then nods at the wall at the end of the corridor. "This one seems safe, or at least as far as I can tell. Once I'm healed up I'll try and open it."

Spoiler:
    Show

Hopefully get some hits from wand (1d8+1)[4](1d8+1)[8](1d8+1)[7](1d8+1)[4] (Need 15Hps)
    Then make sure everyone else is in total cover way down the hall and place my hand on the wall and try vairous Thassilonian words for Open or the runelord's name

Abilities
    Sneak Attack +2d6
    Trapfinding +2
    Uncanny Dodge

Path of War

Moves
    Hunting Serpent (strike)
    Dizzying Venom (boost)
    Flash kick (boost)
    Sun Dips Low (Counter)
    Iron Fang (strike)

Conditional effects

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ettin in the Playground

Rakieth touches the wall with his bare hand. He then says some words with his hand still there. The wall, well, it does nothing much. It stays where it is and seems like it's not going anywhere.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

Adalbert Hornwood
    Halfling Mage

Adalbert bows to Iris and thanks her. I thank you, Iris. This was my favorite hat! Curse you, Sorshen! He does the last bit with a bit of playful overacting, but then is reminded of his two fallen comrades. Silently, almost meekly he adds. Would you please check the room before we do anything further reckless, Iris? You just have an eye for things. Adalbert cleans her garments with a small spell before summoning his light spell.

Last edited by Spore; 2022-04-14 at 03:02 AM.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

Rakieth Anlec

Rakieth pauses and stares at the doors and the walls and then back to the others. "Damn it. Where is a door further in?" He starts slowly searching through each room and each of the doors again more carefully with the patience only someone who lives for hundreds of years can muster.

Spoiler:
    Show

Take 20 on Searching for secret doors around the area of these small rooms. = 31 to search for trapdoors

Abilities
    Sneak Attack +2d6
    Trapfinding +2
    Uncanny Dodge

Path of War

Moves
    Hunting Serpent (strike)
    Dizzying Venom (boost)
    Flash kick (boost)
    Sun Dips Low (Counter)
    Iron Fang (strike)

Conditional effects

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ettin in the Playground

Iris

"Maybe there is some sort of magic obscuring the way. Rakieth, keep looking and I'll see if I can find anything more unusual"

Iris wanders slowly about, walking a circuit of the area several several times to see if anything takes her interest.

Spoiler: quicker recom
    Show
    So, aiming to do some quick searching to try and prioritise Rakieth's take 20 on most promising areas.

Wander the hallway, bedchambers, flame room, etc. Perform the following actions on each of the three circuits:

1) Detect magic, looking for auras. Point them out to Adalbert as Iris' spellcraft is not amazing at identifying auras.
    2) Cast Sift, repeatedly. Take 10 = DC15. Each 10ft cube take 1 standard action to search.
    3) Perception, Take 10 = DC20. Takes longer than sift but not as long as the Take 20.

Staying well away from anything magic that looks like it might blow up in my face.

Show
    Iris of Shelyn
    F NG Human (Varisian) Inquisitor (Urban Infiltrator), Level 5, Init 7, HP 24/24, Speed 30ft
    AC 20, Touch 16, Flat-footed 16, CMD 21, Fort 3, Ref 5, Will 7, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 3
    +1 Composite Longbow (+2 Str) +8 (+3 BAB, +4 Dex, +1 weapon) (1d8+3, x3)
    Battle aspergillum +5 (+3 BAB, +2 Str) (1d6+2, x2)
    Dagger +5 (+3 BAB, +2 Str) or ranged +7 (+3 BAB, +4 Dex) (1d4+2, 19-20/ x2)
    Mithral MW Chain Shirt Armour (+4 Armor, +4 Dex, +2 Misc)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 18, Con 8, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 10
    Condition
    *Lucky Number [18](24 hours): reroll or +2 Luck bonus if number [18] rolled
    *Adoration: immediate sanctuary (Will DC15)
    *Agent of Chance: immediate - adjacent ally can reroll a skill check

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ettin in the Playground

Iris goes around scanning the place for magic. There is lots of it. First, all the ceilings of the living section are magical. Then, some parts of of the ceilings are even more magical - seemingly similar transmutations of sorts. Then, all the doors that are still present are magical and so is the wall at the west end. The flame in the large room is also magical. In fact, it seems too magical for everybody's good, but Iris can not make much sense of it from the distance. The scroched torch and the stone block in which it resides seem to be magical in their own way. The torch seems too much like a magical key, and the stone block then maybe a lock and/or a door? Iris shares her findings so that Rakieth can reorder his checks. Rakieth checks the stone block. Takes some reasonable time, but the findings are that it's very heavy, but absoluteluy movable in some unclear way. Then Rakieth takes a good look at the wall in the west, that is magical, despite doing nothing under Rakieth's touch. Yep, absolutely a door. Given the writings there not even too much secret, but well-made to look like a wall.

Spoiler
    Show
    Iris arcana/spellcaraft: (1d20+1)[6] (1d20+1)[6] ceilings
    Iris arcana/spellcaraft: (1d20+1)[17] (1d20+1)[4] extra ceilings
    Iris arcana/spellcaraft: (1d20+1)[5] (1d20+1)[5] doors / wall
    Iris arcana/spellcaraft: (1d20+1)[10] (1d20+1)[9] flame
    Iris arcana/spellcaraft: (1d20+1)[10] (1d20+1)[18] torch
    Iris arcana/spellcaraft: (1d20+1)[20] (1d20+1)[13] stone block

That would be 45 minutes. 2:15 still to go, unless you change your plans, but I suspect Lizuga touches that wall in 20 minutes or so...

29. - Top - End - #449
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga sits down near the wall. She has no facility with magic, or cunning tricks to find traps. She tries to tend to her own wounds instead, for a long time; then slumps against the wall and snores gently.
    Semper ludens.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

Rakieth Anlec

Rakieth listens to Iris list the magical auras shaking his head at the casual use of magic in such a place then turns his attention back to the walls. As he searches the wall again he finds the door this time and curses as he cannot find a trace of a catch. Looking back to Lizuga and the others he nods, "Lizuga, you look to be a string strapping woman in your new body of the ages. Reckon you and your hammer could batter a hole in the wall big enough for us to slide through?"

In lieu of any clever ideas he's just suggesting that they batter their way through the wall.

Spoiler:
    Show

Abilities
    Sneak Attack +2d6
    Trapfinding +2
    Uncanny Dodge

Path of War

Moves
    Hunting Serpent (strike)
    Dizzying Venom (boost)
    Flash kick (boost)
    Sun Dips Low (Counter)
    Iron Fang (strike)

Conditional effects