New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish Shive VII: The Comic is 20 Years Old, but the Cast is Still 18

Quote Originally Posted by Taevyr View Post
    So, uh

is it more of an AAAAAAA?

or an AAAAHHHH?

'Cause I'm leaning towards "AAAAAAA", but I like to be certain
    Considering Eliot's anime martial arts training, I think it might be a classic DBZ scream.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: El Goonish Shive VII: The Comic is 20 Years Old, but the Cast is Still 18

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Considering Eliot's anime martial arts training, I think it might be a classic DBZ scream.
    Yeah, I'm guessing his evil form is in Majin Vegeta style.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Yeah, I'm guessing his evil form is in Majin Vegeta style.
    Bet it's not even 'evil', necessarily, just a 'damn the consequences, take the safeties off and give me the strength I need to achieve what I need to do Right Now' thing (as commented before not all that different from Nanase's Guardian Form spell).. but Elliott has always associated 'losing control of himself' with 'evil', so it probably includes a bonus allotment of Charm that influences him to act with a villainous personality just because that's how Elliott thinks it should work.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    .. but Elliott has always associated 'losing control of himself' with 'evil', so it probably includes a bonus allotment of Charm that influences him to act with a villainous personality just because that's how Elliott thinks it should work.
    I hadn't considered that facet. Now I require to see Elliot monologing.

-=Update for 24 point Elliot=-
    The bully of bullies is in the building. Er, the woods.
    Also, the 5 awareness is probably to let Elliot know how/where to hit the griffin.
    The tech 2 seems wasted since he left his cell phone behind and he doesn't have cat-form claws.
    Ooh, rereading Dan's commentary, maybe his burnout hair will be red (to mark his shame).
    Last edited by Windscion; 2022-03-31 at 10:19 PM.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

Woah! We're actually seeing villain Cheerleadra in comic!? Man, if only someone had predicted this exact scenario happening!
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

6. - Top - End - #336

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Woah! We're actually seeing villain Cheerleadra in comic!? Man, if only someone had predicted this exact scenario happening!
    A missed opportunity, to be sure. [/sarcasm]
    Last edited by Windscion; 2022-04-01 at 01:16 AM.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

Oh my god! Elliot has turned evil! This is terrible news! Just imagine, he might step on someone's foot and not apologize! Or return library books two day late! Or consider littering!

The horror!
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

No fishnets, disappointing, 4/10.

Also from what this arc has set up I expected an expression of manic glee.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

For real, though, those torn gloves and bruised knuckles are pretty dark for this comic.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

Still got tech 2, but dropped the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    The tech 2 seems wasted since he left his cell phone behind and he doesn't have cat-form claws.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Still got tech 2, but dropped the phone.
    Perhaps in all the excitement, he hadn't realized it fell?

12. - Top - End - #342

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    No fishnets, disappointing, 4/10.

Also from what this arc has set up I expected an expression of manic glee.
    As long as we don't go the full "evil supergirl" look. It always ends up either over sexualized, or plain ridiculous

Damn, forgot how distasteful the depictions of mid 2000's female heroes tended to be. At least for DC.
    Last edited by Taevyr; 2022-04-01 at 02:33 PM.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

That's literally just a recolor of the standard outfit, though?

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

And that first link actually seems like an improvement, since she doesn't have a skirt that people can look up when she's flying overhead.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    And that first link actually seems like an improvement, since she doesn't have a skirt that people can look up when she's flying overhead.
    Kind of irrelevant since we know that Cheerleadra canonically wears shorts under her skirt.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

I meant it's an improvement over Supergirl's most iconic outfit. I assume Supergirl doesn't wear a skort, though I would if I were her. Well, actually, if I were her, I'd wear pants, but you know what I mean.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    I mean, unless there are under-skirt shots in the comic, I don't think that matters.

Sexualisation of characters is about how they're presented to the readership, not how they would look from a different angle.
    Forum Wisdom

18. - Top - End - #348
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Kind of irrelevant since we know that Cheerleadra canonically wears shorts under her skirt.
    Reminds me of Madaline the Paladin https://rustyandco.com/comic/level-2-10/
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

19. - Top - End - #349
    Firbolg in the Playground

or plain ridiculous
    I suppose the reason she's evil is because she can't cross her arms anymore?
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

As long as we don't go the full "evil supergirl" look. It always ends up either over sexualized, or plain ridiculous

Damn, forgot how distasteful the depictions of mid 2000's female heroes tended to be. At least for DC.
    To be fair, Cheerledra's outfit is already pretty sexualised. Not to a distasteful extreme, but enough that you could change the how while keeping it recognisable.

OTOH hand I think the character who's outfit I was thinking of might actually have been Black Canary, so I've just shown how little credibility I have here
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

21. - Top - End - #351

Huh. So the griffin was manipulated. And we were supposed to guess because he [sarcasm] had big facehair like Dex [/sarcasm].
    Also, I am impressed OathOfVengeance!Elliot was able to take down a griffin.
    Last edited by Windscion; 2022-04-04 at 06:12 AM.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Colossus in the Playground

The current comic has me actually somewhat optimistic that there will be at least minor consequences for Elliott's choice.

23. - Top - End - #353

Well, Edward is bound to be furious at both of them for saving his life.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    Huh. So the griffin was manipulated. And we were supposed to guess because he had big facehair like Dex.
    I don't think we were supposed to guess.
    Forum Wisdom

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think it's about the hair. He (?) wasn't talking smoothly, and the eyes were shaded oddly. I didn't guess it myself, but someone did and I can see how they might have.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #356
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I don't think it's about the hair. He (?) wasn't talking smoothly, and the eyes were shaded oddly. I didn't guess it myself, but someone did and I can see how they might have.
    With eyes it was not just about the shade: Dex was just starring blankly into the distance. Geranted, it is not easy to read an expression on a giffin's face, but eye movement or its lack is pretty distinct.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ettin in the Playground

Pretty sure this is supposed to be Grace putting things together due to her enhanced senses and intuition, not a puzzle for the reader. The "it was possible to guess this, but I didn't expect people to" note kind of supports this.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Wow, Elliot's first win since...

When did Elliot last win a fight? Most of the fights he's been in haven't been resolved by brute force, but I'm wracking my brain trying to come up with the last time he was in a fight and wasn't outmatched or outright losing, and I'm drawing a blank. Wait, did he win against one of Grace's siblings in the Damian arc?
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

On one hand he did win but it doesn't look like the story is going to treat this as a win, I mean I might get proven wrong but generally unleashing your dark power is not a "win" for the hero doing it. In some stories learning not to be afraid of your own power is treated as character growth but I would be surprised if that was the rout they went with here.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    Wow, Elliot's first win since...
    The Bloodgrem, near as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    Wait, did he win against one of Grace's siblings in the Damian arc?
    He squared off with Hedge, but no winner was declared before Damian exploded.