New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Crimson Echo Season Three

Quote Originally Posted by Inspectre View Post
    Clutched in her left hand is the Eye, and as you watch Haeluna mechanically stabs the tip of the iron spike into her right arm, leaving another leaking wound.

“I knew you had to come back this way if you wanted to scurry out of here, you filthy rats.”

The florist-turned-anarchist declares, her sneer turning into a rictus grin as her unblinking gaze locks onto Aliani.

“We could have worked together to change this city, but you threw it all away in favor of Eodred’s gutter-trash whore. Now you’ll share her fate – all of you will!”
    "We could have. Much can change. Much must change. But you have allowed your hate to spread like a bramble in the garden, thinking it will shape your enemies, but in the end, as hate often does, you have let it consume you. The purpose matters, the hope for a better way. You knew that, once."

He bowed his head as he drew his morningstar. "I'm sorry it has come to this. May the mother forgive you."

And then she plunged that THING into her own eye. And everything was terrible, of course, as every failure of Aliani's life, past, present, and possibly even future flashed before his eyes -- but there was an odd sort of calmness about the terror, as if he was watching some sort of play about his own existence. A tragedy, to be sure, but a play nonetheless.

And then, as quickly as it began, it was over, save for the lingering sensation that he had heard that taunting infernal voice once before, a long time ago, in Andaisin's basement. And it all made an odd sort of sense, somehow. There was no reason to hold back, no reason to doubt, no reason to hide. She had to be destroyed, but it wasn't her any more. There was no reason to hate her for it.

He pulled out a small vial from his pocket, a vial he had filled with his own blood long ago, holding it in his off hand as he brandished his weapon.

"There is no need to be afraid, my friends. We are here for a reason, for a purpose. Let us weed the garden."

With that, he approached his former savior.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Draw blood reservoir of physical prowess, and move to F9 (hoping to create some AOOs or flanking or something).

2. - Top - End - #152
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As the profane magic washes over her Bellinda retreats into herself, quietly trying to weather the assault and largely failing. With the timely and unexpected assistance from the Runelord she stands and shakes her head before looking to their enemy with a resolute expression. "Sarenrae guide my blade..."

Spoiler: Round 1, Bellinda's Status
    Show
    Bellinda Swiftfoot
    Female Lawful Good Halfling Bard (w/ 2 Archetypes), Level 4, Init 4, HP 29/29, Speed 30
    AC 21, Touch 15, Flat-footed 17, CMD 18, Fort 5, Ref 10, Will 6, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 3
    “Dawnbringer” (+1 Cold Iron Scimitar) +11 (1d4+8, 18-20/x2)
    Mithril Shirt (+4 Armor, +4 Dex, +1 Size)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 16
    ConditionBardic Performance used today: 4/13 rounds
    Barkskin (+2 Natural AC) 30-ish (?) minutes
    Inspire Courage (+2 vs charm/fear and +2 on attack/damage rolls)
    Arcane Strike (+1 damage and magic)

Then Bellinda deliberately begins to dance towards the misshapen attacker and slashes at her with her new scimitar!

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Move to F9 by way of the open path to the right of the map and strike at Haeluna with her new weapon. Dawnbringer: (1d20+11)[20] to hit, (1d20+11)[29] (18-20/x2), (1d4+8)[9] magic slashing damage, (1d4+8)[9] critical strike damage.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

Haeluna raises a hand to shield her face as Dalen conjures an eruption of sparkling magical glitter to burst into existence right in front of her face, but the monstrosity attached to her shoulder doesn't even flinch (perhaps because it lacks eyes to get the glitter lodged into OOC - although it still needed to make a Save, and got a nat 17, so . . . yeah. ). The abomination that is now Haeluna gives a joint snort of derision from both the human and plant mouth.

"Glitter? Is that the full sum of your arcane strength, "Master" Wizard? Heh heh heh. Pathetic. This will be easier than anticipated!"

Haeluna, or what is left of her, doesn't have much time to continue laughing, however, as the rest of the party approaches, Bellinda followed by Aliani from the right with Silas followed by Magenta from the left.

Magenta leads the assault by digging into her pack and producing a flask of alchemist's fire. As she does so, she looks intently at Haeluna, clearly studying her for weaknesses.

Spoiler: Magenta
    Show

Move - Move to H3, pull out a flask of alchemist fire as she goes.
    Standard - Study target on Haeluna

Drawing his falchion off of his back, the tiefling moves in on Haeluna, providing flanking for Bellinda as she sweeps in from the other side. As he closes in, the plant monster growing from Haeluna's shoulder snaps its jaws at him, although its thorny teeth utterly fail to find process on the tiefling's armor.

Spoiler: Silas
    Show

Double move to F8, drawing Falchion. This provokes an AoO from the mandragora.

Spoiler: Mandragora AoO
    Show

To-Hit: (1d20+8)[15]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[7]
    Hit: Grab attempt - (1d20+8)[23]

As Bellinda closes in and strikes at Haeluna, the venus-fly trap monster on her shoulder sort of sneers, and languidly unfurls a coil of its long tentacle-like neck from around Haeluna's shoulders to raise it up to attempt to parry the scimitar. Whatever the monstrosity thought that was going to accomplish, it was wrong as Bellinda's new scimitar hacks through the thick vegetable matter of the tentacle as easily as it would flesh, leaving a hissing, smoking wound about a third of the way through the tentacle! (DR thwarted)

Spoiler: Mandragora Reaction
    Show

While it has to be adjacent to both Haeluna and an attacker to use Bodyguard, I am going to rule that since it's a tentacle-vine-thing wrapped around her, it can still use its once-per-round In Harm's Way feat to take an attack meant for Haeluna. In this case, that was a bad idea for it since Bellinda can cut through its DR, dealing full damage to the beast!
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2024-01-28 at 10:17 PM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

Threads I'm currently DMing:

Threads I have successfully completed:

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Flexing her shoulder, Haeluna unfurls the venus-fly trap vine out to its full length, the vine somehow managing to remain up in the air as it flexes to keep the head up despite now being nearly 10' in length from Haeluna. It snakes around behind Silas while Haeluna steps towards him.

She gestures once, and from her back emerges a translucent double of her, only this one turns to face Bellinda, snarling at her as the image dances in and out of Haeluna's form, making it difficult to discern which is the real one and which is the fake. Haeluna then makes another arcane gesture, spitting words of power as she reaches out a hand to touch Silas on the chest, while the mandragora simultaneously attempts to burrow itself into his back!

Again the mandragora bounces off of the tiefling's armor, and he manages to twist away from Haeluna's hand, his new cloak swirling up into the mad cleric abomination's face just in time! The tiefling still winces at the jolt of necrotic energy that was pumped into him, while Haeluna maintains a rictus grin, although the smile fades a little into a wince of pain as blood pours out of her shoulder from where the plant vine had burst out of her armor, the vine beginning to knit itself back together as it clearly absorbs some of Haeluna's own life force to keep going!

Spoiler: Haeluna
    Show

Free Action (Start of Round): Switch Mandragora to "Attack" mode
    Move Action: Use Copycat ability, creating a single Mirror Image. Attempting to "cast" this defensively, so it'll fizzle if she fails. Concentration: (1d20+6)[21] vs. DC 17
    5' Step to F8
    Standard Action: Swapping 2nd level spell for Inflict Moderate Wounds, attempting to touch Silas. Concentration: (1d20+6)[23] vs. DC 19
    To-Hit: (1d20+10)[26] (+2 Flanking) vs. Touch
    Damage: (2d8+5)[15] Negative Energy, DC 15 Will Save for Half (should be +3 here, so 13 damage instead of 15, halved to 6 damage total)
    Sneak Attack: (3d6)[8]

Spoiler: Mandragora
    Show

Free Action (Start of Turn): Suck 5 HP out of Haeluna, regaining 5 HP
    Move Action: 5' step to F6. A trail of vine is left in E7 to keep it attached to Haeluna (this is targetable).
    Standard Action: Bite Silas (+2 Flanking)
    To-Hit: (1d20+10)[13]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[9]
    Hit: Grab attempt - (1d20+10)[30]

Back around to the party!

Battle Map

Spoiler: Status
    Show

Haeluna - 5, 1 Mirror Image Up
    Mandragora - 4

Party!

Silas - 14
    Magenta - Studied Target (Haeluna)
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2024-01-29 at 09:19 AM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

"Glitter? Is that the full sum of your arcane strength, "Master" Wizard? Heh heh heh. Pathetic. This will be easier than anticipated!"
    "Master Wizard? You flatter me," Dalen withdraws his wand and holds it behind his back, "But alas, every scrap of arcane power at my disposal is something I've had to work so hard to attain," Dalen grins widely as he grips the wand and waits for the perfect moment to strike.

Show
    Move action to withdraw his wand, and then readied action to cast Magic Missile at Haeluna if she attempts to cast a spell. This will cause a Concentration check or she will lose the spell.

Damage roll if applicable: (2d4+2)[6]

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

*You can do this. Just breathe, you can do this.*

Aliani cracked the reservoir in his palm, feeling a surge of power rush through him as some of the magic liquid pooled on the walk below him, running blood red across the cobblestones. He tapped Bellinda on the shoulder, just letting her know his intentions, as he passed by her on the right with his morningstar raised for battle. He planted his feet among the roses, scarcely feeling the thorns brushing against his skin.

Show
    Use blood reservoir, giving +8 strength until the end of my next turn, and 5' step to E9.
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2024-01-29 at 12:28 AM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

Silas coughs up a bit of blood as he sways on his feet, lifting a hand up from the hilt of his falchion a moment to wipe away the blood from his lips with the back of a hand.

"You are really starting to get on my bad side, darling. I think Aliani is right - it's time to do some trimming!"

Hefting his falchion again, Silas brings it down towards Haeluna's head. Haeluna manages to duck out of the way of the swing, but that merely leaves her image standing there with its back to Silas, and the blow cleaves the image in twain, dispelling the illusionary double. Only Haeluna herself now stands with her back to Bellinda.

Show

Standard: Hacking away at Haeluna (+2 Flanking with Bellinda, +2 Bard Song)
    To-Hit: (1d20+12)[15]
    Damage: (2d4+7)[12]
    Copycat (1 is Haeluna) - (1d2)[2]

Special: Misses Haeluna's image by 5 or less, which equals a hit as per Mirror Image, so the copycat image is splattered.

After a moment of indecision, Ileosa strides forward to stand beside Bellinda, menacing Haeluna with her dagger as she sing-songs a taunt at her.

"I may not be a warrior like Sabrina, but I'm not going to let you hurt anyone else! Come on, isn't it me that you want, you old hag!?"

Haeluna gives an inhuman roar in response and whirls away from Silas to confront the queen, leaving her open to Bellinda's own strikes (+2 Aid succeeded).

Spoiler: Ileosa
    Show

Move: Move to G9.
    Standard: Distracting Haeluna with Aid Another (granting +2 to Bellinda if she succeeds)
    To-Hit: (1d20+7)[14] vs. DC 10
    Free: Maintain bard song

And from the far side, Magenta closes in, and after seeing how tightly clustered the group is around Haeluna, switches targets to throw her alchemist fire at essentially Silas's back, aiming at the venus-fly trap head still bobbing around behind him. She ends up missing both targets in the fracas, the vial sailing over Silas's shoulder to smash against the floor and splatter all three - Haeluna, Silas, and the Mandragora - with the fiery residue.

Show

Move: Move to F6
    Standard: Throwing Alchemist Fire at Mandragora
    To-Hit: (1d20+5)[12] vs. Touch
    Damage: (1d6)[1] Fire
    Miss Direction: (1d8)[4]

Splash Damage: Silas, Haeluna, and Mandragora will all take 1 Fire as the vial misses the Mandragora and ends up sailing 1 square to the NE, putting it just north of Silas in E7. Silas resists the splash damage, yay tieflings.

Mandragora Reflex (if Needed): (1d20+7)[27] vs. DC 15 to avoid catching on fire

Show

Haeluna - 6
    Mandragora - 5

Party!
    Bellinda - +2 Aid Another from Ileosa
    Aliani - STR surge, +8 STR until end of next turn

Silas - 14
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2024-01-29 at 09:39 AM.

8. - Top - End - #158

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Round 2, Bellinda's Status
    Show
    Bellinda Swiftfoot
    Female Lawful Good Halfling Bard (w/ 2 Archetypes), Level 4, Init 4, HP 29/29, Speed 30
    AC 21, Touch 15, Flat-footed 17, CMD 18, Fort 5, Ref 10, Will 6, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 3

Bellinda performs a salute mid-dance, directing the respectful gesture at her Queen, as she spins to get Haeluna back within reach of her blade. Then the halfling dervish continues her strikes with deadly intent!

Show
    It looks like I have to have Bellinda move to attack, so she will move to E8, activate Arcane Strike, and attack:

Dawnbringer - (1d20+13)[21] to hit, (1d20+13)[20] (18-20/x2), (1d4+8)[11] magical slashing damage, (1d4+8)[12] critical strike damage.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

Bellinda brings the scimitar back around, cutting a wide slash in Haeluna's left leg, which begins leaking a blackish . . . inchor? blood?
    The revolutionary-turned-monster growls as she begins casting another spell, this time glaring at the halfling blade dancer.
    Unfortunately for Haeluna, Dalen may be out of spells but not tricks just yet, as a pair of magic missiles fly from his wand (still behind his back) and arc around to slam into her side.

Show

Free Action: Switch Mandragora back to Defense Mode
    Move Action: Copycat again - Concentration: (1d20+6)[13] vs. DC 17
    Standard Action: Casting Hold Person - Concentration: (1d20+6)[19] vs. DC 19
    And then damage Concentration = (1d20+6)[15] vs. DC 18

"Damn you!"

The cleric and her pet monster howl in unison, the plant twisting around to glare at Dalen before retracting back over Haeluna's shoulder. The tentacle/neck vine swells as more energy flows out of Haeluna into her new appendage, and then the venus fly trap spreads its maw wide to vomit forth a hail of nettles and acidic goo!

Show

Free Action: Drain 5 more HP away from Haeluna, healing back up to full
    5' Step back to E7
    Standard: Unleash breath weapon, 15' Cone, hitting both Bellinda and Aliani (Reflex Save DC 14)
    Damage: (4d4)[7]
    Failed Reflex Save: Follow-up Effect, Fort Save DC 14
    Failure Fort Save as well: Sickened from Pain (-2 to all rolls) until spend a Full-Round action to remove all of the nettles from your flesh (someone can also make a DC 15 Heal check to remove the nettles for you *looks at Magenta)

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

"Damn you!"
    "That's all it took? I guess this will be easier than anticipated," Dalen retorts with a faux joviality as he continues to stand with the wand at the ready, absolutely intent on doing it again.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

With a grim look, the playwright took a step forward, and unleashed a mighty blow. It was obvious by now that his mentor was gone, one way or another, and this horrid husk of a thing was all that was left. With all his might, and the might of others before him, he brought his morningstar down on her head, trying not to think of what was.

Show
    5' step to F9
    Attack: (1d20+16)[30] to hit (normal +4; +2 from harrow, +2 from inspire courage, +4 from the temporary strength boost, +2 from flanking, +2 from Aid Another when that happens)
    Damage: (1d8+8)[13] damage (normal 1d8; +2 from harrow, +2 from inspire courage, +4 from the temporary strength boost)

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Silas grimly continues hacking away at Haeluna, prompting the Mandragora to lash out to interpose itself, even though it's enchanted flesh is easily parted by the cold iron weapon. The mandragora is able to block Silas's blow, but can do nothing as Aliani steps forward and unleashes all of his focused strength into one strike that buries the morningstar into Haeluna's face, sending her staggering to one side as her head snaps back from the blow. If she were still a normal human, that blow might well have been enough to end it . . . but as Aliani pulls the weapon back, Haeluna's head lolls back into place, black blood tricking down from the ruin of her normal side of her face as the Eye still glares back at him from Haeluna's (mostly) still-intact socket.

Show

Hacking away at Haeluna!
    To-Hit: (1d20+10)[20] (+2 Bard Song)
    Damage: (2d4+7)[14]

Spoiler: Mandragora Reaction
    Show

Will attempt to Bodyguard Haeluna, using In Harm's Way if Silas still hits
    Aid Another: (1d20+8)[19] vs. DC 10

Still keeping her eyes on Haeluna, Magenta nonetheless rushes forward to stab at the plant with her rapier, to virtually no effect.

Show

Move: Move to F6, stab at Mandragora
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[17]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[5] (stopped by DR)

Ileosa snarls at Haeluna - ""Stop hurting my friends! It's me you want!"

While subtly signaling to Aliani with her non-dagger hand that he should move in and she will cover him.

Spoiler: Ileosa
    Show

Maintaining Bard Song.
    Standard - Aid Another on Aliani
    To-Hit: (1d20+7)[14] vs. DC 10

Link to Battle Map

Show

Haeluna - 39
    Mandragora - 14

Party!

Silas - 14
    Aliani - 7
    Bellinda - 7 or 3 (Reflex Save DC 14 for Half, then Fort Save DC 14 to avoid being Sickened from Pain until Nettles removed)
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2024-01-29 at 11:48 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Round 3, Bellinda's Status
    Show
    Bellinda Swiftfoot
    Female Lawful Good Halfling Bard (w/ 2 Archetypes), Level 4, Init 4, HP 26/29, Speed 30

With a smooth dodging motion, Bellinda avoids the worst of the plant-fiend's breath weapon and strikes at Haeluna again with a flourish!

Show
    Passed the Reflex save in Discord.

5-ft step to F9, activate Arcane Strike, and then attack: Dawnbringer - (1d20+11)[19] to hit, (1d20+11)[20] (18-20/x2), (1d4+8)[12] magical slashing damage, (1d4+8)[12] critical strike damage.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Bellinda ducks under the worst of the spew of thorns, dancing back into the path that the caustic spray had chewed through the rose bush behind her. A moment and a graceful pirouette later and she dances back into the battle, delivering an arcing slash that cuts Haeluna across her stomach. More black bile and twisted brambles spill out from the injury, as the fallen Milanite becomes less and less human with each passing moment. Even so, Haeluna is starting to look increasingly battered as she stumbles back away from Bellinda, Alliani, and Queen Ileosa, stepping back into the flowering bushes off to one side of the path that this fight had largely been taking place on. As she moves, the venus-fly trap head follows along behind, dragged along to roughly occupy the space that Haeluna was just standing in to cover her plodding escape. She first mutters the by-now familiar words of deceitful magic that summons another illusionary duplicate, and then begins the words to a new magic that Dalen does not recognize. Different is not good in his book, and so he triggers another barrage of magic missiles from the wand behind his back. At the same time, taking Haeluna's desperate casting as a moment of weakness, both Silas and Magenta lunge forward to also attempt to interrupt the casting, but both of them are foiled - Silas by the duplicate that Haeluna had just summoned, and Magenta by the plant monster interposing itself, this time to impressive effect as magenta's rapier fails to even scratch the thing. Before Dalen's magic missiles can reach their target, Haeluna finishes her magic and dissolves entirely into a snarl of brambles which flail around a moment before burrowing down into the ground. Dalen watches with a sinking feeling in his stomach as the magic missiles obediently turn and arc back towards him in mid-flight, before blowing into the mass of brambles that begins erupting up out of the dirt from the flower bed right next to him. Haeluna bursts out of the earth a moment later with a snarl, the venus-fly trap mouth surging forward to snap at the wizard and attempt to ensnare him in its jaws!

Show

Move action - Defensively cast Copycat again. Gets a 25 on Concentration - passes.
    5' step to G7, dragging the Mandragora into F8 since it has to remain adjacent to her for the moment.
    Standard Action - Non-defensively cast an unidentified spell-like ability (OOC: It's a tweaked Dimension-door equivalent to Tree Stride). This provokes an AoO from Silas and Magenta both as they are still adjacent to her. Silas kills the duplicate Haeluna mirror image while Magenta's strike is blocked by the Mandragora's In Harm's Way reaction for Round 3. Dalen's readied magic missiles also hit Haeluna, but she makes the DC 21 concentration check to continue casting the spell. She Plant Strides/Dimension Doors over to L5. She takes the Mandragora with her, with it ending up in K6.

Show

Free: Steals 5 HP from Haeluna
    Move: Moves from K6 to L4 as it circles around Haeluna to be adjacent to Dalen
    Standard: Bite that stupid mage if its the last thing it does
    To-Hit: (1d20+8)[24]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[4]
    Hit: Grab attempt: (1d20+8)[16]

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

Not protected by armor as Silas was, the thorn-laded mouth of the vine finds purchase in Dalen's shoulder, and despite its slender appearance the vine easily hauls him up into the air off his feet by a foot or so, the thick tentacle beginning to wrap around him like a constrictor snake. With its mouth full of wizard, the plant monster sprouting from Haeluna's shoulder cannot speak, but Haeluna can, spitting out a guttural hiss through what appears to be a broken jaw.

"You're good at calculation, Master Wizard. What do you think the odds are that your friends will be able to reach me again before I crush the life from your bones?"

Battle Map

Show

Haeluna - 63
    Mandragora - 9, Grappled

Party!

Silas - 14
    Aliani - 7
    Bellinda - 3
    Dalen - 4, Grappled

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

"Did I - ugh - strike a nerve?" Dalen winces with pain as he is trapped in the vice grip of those jaws, "but you I both know this won't relent until one of us is dead, and with your little bodyguard preoccupied I don't think I need to endure this for much longer," Dalen's wand flares as he strikes Haeluna with more missiles.

Show

Magic Missile (2d4+2)[6]
    Move action to draw alchemist's fire a dagger in his other hand.
    Last edited by Darvin; 2024-01-30 at 09:56 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Aliani wheeled around as he saw the ... thing ... emerge from the ground. His feet started to carry him before his mind, his feet dancing through the flowerbeds. A few daisies and begonias took the worst of it; he'd have to remember to come back for that. An odd thought to come to mind as he charged...

"Less time than you think."

Show

Charge!!!

Attack: (1d20+12)[30] to hit
    Damage: (1d8+4)[7] if hits

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

Silas and Magenta rush to Dalen's aid, although they are slowed by the presence of Marcus and Sabrina, the two skilled warriors still little more than grimacing, quivering statues at this moment.

"We're coming Dal, hang on!"

Silas calls, rushing towards Haeluna with his falchion raised high while Magenta moves in more thoughtfully, digging into her new surgeon's apron for a roll of bandages, clearly in anticipation of having to stitch Dalen back together after Haeluna is done with him. Ileosa also moves closer, taking up position near Sabrina. The queen glances at her bodyguard, clearly seeking some hope that Sabrina would be able to break free of Haeluna's fear magic, and shaking her head as she concludes that was a forlorn hope. Once again the queen is forced to result to throwing harsh language at Haeluna in another vain attempt to get her to focus on her stated objective instead of all of you.

"Come on, you freakish witch! I'm right here! Aren't you going to fulfill your promise of ripping my crown from my head!? Try and take it then!"

Haeluna's only response is a gurgling chuckle, ignoring the queen completely as she answers Aliani's own taunt.

"And yet not soon enough. Time for you to meet your own masters, Master Wizard!"

Ileosa looks around in desperation, clearly trying to think of some way to aid Dalen, and then she simply stops, tilting her head as if listening to something inaudible to everyone else.

Show

Double Move to K4

Show

Move: Move to I4
    Standard: Pull out bandages

Spoiler: Queen Ileosa
    Show

Move: Move to I7
    Standard: Listening to a suggestion only she can hear, Queen Ileosa readies an action.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

Determined not to let Haeluna get away from her again, Bellinda weaves an arcane spell into her dance as she piruoettes to track where the abomination has teleported to in order to assault Dalen, and then dashes across the intervening distance in a blur of motion.

Spoiler: Bellinda
    Show

Standard: Cast Expeditious Retreat
    Move: Easily move the 35' or so to K6 with her boosted speed. I believe no matter where Haeluna goes in this room, Bellinda will be able to get back into melee with her now with her 60' move speed.

Even still, the halfling might be arriving too late as the wicked tentacle vine tightly coils and wraps itself around Dalen, one thorny loop going around his neck to choke him into silence while another loop lashes itself around his wrist, crushing it until his tortured muscles are forced to relent and release their grip on the wand. Meanwhile, the wizard starts to get light-headed as a particularly large thorn twists around to embed itself in his neck, and the plant monster makes slurping noises as it sucks his blood out through the puncture! As Dalen's blood runs into what passes for the monstrosity's gullet, its injuries begin to reseal, and now being fed by Dalen it doesn't seem to pull any life energy from Haeluna.

Show

Haeluna delays until after the Mandragora this turn.
    Standard: Maintains its grapple on Dalen, attempting to pin him. It gains a +5 bonus on this check, and thus I believe can only fail on a natural 1 (and here it comes . . .)
    Grapple: (1d20+13)[15] vs. CMD
    Success: Blood Drain on Dalen, dealing (1d3)[1] Con damage.
    Effect: The Mandragora heals 5 HP, and does not take any HP from Haeluna this round since it's already got some tasty blood.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

"Shhh Master Wizard . . . be still! Your life is over now."

Haeluna croaks into Dalen's ear as the vine hefts him higher up off the ground, and twists him around to present his back to the mad fallen cleric.
    From the corner of his eye, Dalen can see Haeluna flex her hands, which have morphed into wooden claws, coated in glistening thorns.
    She regards the region around his right kidney thoughtfully as time seems to slow to a crawl, everyone leaping to the now helpless wizard's defense but clearly too late to intervene in what comes next.

"But don't worry. You can scream your next witticism from the depths of Hell!"

Haeluna flexes her claws and pulls them back to strike, only to be interrupted by a sudden shout from Ileosa, one hand outstretched now to point accusingly at her.

"I, Queen Ileosa Arabasti, command you! Release him!"

From a moment, there is a faint rumble underfoot and the lights in the room dim.

Spoiler: Perception DC 20
    Show

You see everyone's shadow - including Haeluna, twist and bend unnaturally in the light, moving as if bowing towards Ileosa out of reverence - or perhaps fear.

Spoiler: Perception DC 25
    Show

Ileosa's own shadow grows and twists behind her, spreading out to resemble an immense winged shape, before, with a flaring of its wings, it seems to dive in on itself, shrinking back down to reform into Ileosa's own normal shadow again as the lights come back up.

Spoiler: Mandragora Will Save
    Show

Will Save: (1d20+3)[19] vs. DC 19

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

There is a long breathless pause, and then through its grip on Dalen's neck, the beast roars back.

"I don't take orders from you."

And then Haeluna strikes.

Show

Full Attack on Dalen
    1st Claw
    To-Hit: (1d20+7)[13]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[3]
    Sneak Attack: (3d6)[8]

2nd Claw
    To-Hit: (1d20+7)[16]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[5]
    Sneak Attack: (3d6)[11]

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Rather than retort to Haeluna, Dalen simply focuses on his empathic connection to his familiar with two distinct thoughts: wand, Ileosa

Dalen collapses to the ground, the wand relinquished from his grasp and collapsing to the floor as his limp body is held by the creature. His familiar snatches it, then flies to Ileosa with it.

Show

Dalen's constitution is reduced to 11, maximum HP drops to 22
    Current HP is -9

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Aliani saw the damnable plant start to feed, saw Dalen's skin turning pale, going limp... and he let out a shriek.

Taking a quick step back , he reached for his collar. "Everbloom save my friend please!" he murmured.

Show
    Channel energy for (2d6)[4] healing for all -- except the bitch and her plant.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

"Dalen . . . no . . . "

Ileosa gasps, her arm slowly dropping back to her side as its clear whatever she just did failed to work.
    Whatever she had attempted to do, it clearly has taken a toll on the queen as she sways on her feet, swooning.
    And then she closes her eyes and collapses, fainting.

(OOC: Ileosa faints and goes unconscious. This will be the last round of her bard song as obviously she won't be able to maintain it next round.)

Spoiler: Spellcraft DC 24
    Show

What. The. HELLS. What Ileosa had just, at least attempted to do, was cast Dominate Monster. That's a 9th level spell, known only by archmages and a few select others! A bard should never have been able to cast such a spell, even though it appeared Ileosa didn't actually cast anything, merely summoned the magic from somewhere with a gesture!

As Dalen also slumps in a bleeding mess, the tentacle releases him and lets him drop uncermoniously to the floor in a bloody heap with a chuckle.

"Heh heh heh. That's one fool down. Who would like to die next?"

(Haeluna regains her ability to have the Mandragora block one attack after it releases Dalen.)

Battle Map

Show

Haeluna - 74
    Mandragora - 4

Party!

Silas - 10
    Aliani - 3
    Bellinda - 0, Expeditious Retreat
    Dalen - 27, -1 Con, Unconscious (-5), Stable
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2024-02-03 at 08:15 AM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

"How about me, you vicious bitch!"

Silas roars as he hacks at her with his falchion. Unfortunately through the tears forming in his eyes, he can't see very well and his blow goes wide.

Show

To-Hit: (1d20+12)[13]
    Damage: (2d4+5)[8]

Mandragora attempt to Bodyguard - (1d20+8)[14] vs. DC 10

By contract, Magenta is silent as she closes into melee as well, seeking to eliminate the threat first before treating her new patient. As last time, Magenta's lunge is met by a coil of vine, and the tip of the rapier useless glides off of its magical hide to no effect. (Attack blocked, 0 damage to Mandragora, but In Harm's Way and 2 bodyguard uses/2 AoOs have been used up.)

Show

Move: Move to K5 and attack
    To-Hit: (1d20+12)[25]
    Damage: (1d6+4)[7]
    Study Target: (1d6)[3]

Ileosa remains where she has fallen, lying unconscious on the floor.
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2024-02-03 at 08:48 AM.

26. - Top - End - #176

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Round 5, Bellinda's Status
    Show
    Bellinda Swiftfoot
    Female Lawful Good Halfling Bard (w/ 2 Archetypes), Level 4, Init 4, HP 26/29, Speed 60
    ConditionBardic Performance used today: 5/13 rounds
    Battle Dance - Inspire Courage (+2 vs charm/fear and +2 on attack/damage rolls)

Expeditious Retreat

Bellinda deliberately starts a specific dance, invoking sacred devotion and her artistic training as she dances close to the monstrosity and slashes at her with her new scimitar!

Show
    Swift action to activate Arcane Strike.

Move action to start her Battle Dance. Standard action to attack Haeluna:

Dawnbringer - (1d20+11)[31] to hit, (1d20+11)[13] (18-20/x2), (1d4+8)[12] magic slashing damage, (1d4+8)[10] critical strike damage.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

Distracted with feeding on Dalen, the vine is unable to block Magenta's strike after all, and her rapier sinks partway into Haeluna's chest, stopped short just shy of whatever remains of her heart by the bark-like second skin she has grown underneath her armor. Bellinda sweeps in from the side, her movements a prayer to Sarenrae - a prayer which is answered as her new blade again arcs in between Haeluna's ribs, scouring another deep wound in the creature's chest that would have outright felled a mortal opponent. But while not immortal, the Eye's foul magic have clearly bolstered the old woman's fortitude considerably, and so she remains stubbornly on her feet, her breath coming in hissing, wheezing gasps now. The Eye tracks in Haeluna's socket, focusing on Aliani as the mockery of his old mentor sneers at him.

"It would seem that the Master Wizard yet clings to life! I can feel his heart slowing . . . faltering . . . it won't be long now before it stops forever. Let us see now if you are anything more than the hero you pretend to be - can you save even one life?"

More blood is methodically sucked out of Dalen's neck as the vine wrapped around him continues to feed.

Show

Technically it could still roll a 1 to maintain the grapple!
    Grapple: (1d20+13)[27] (plus some more I think for Dalen being unconscious and thus helpless and unable to effectively resist.)
    Blood Drain: (1d3)[1] Con
    Continues to feed off Dalen instead of Haeluna for its round of HP.

Haeluna steps back away from the group, remaining only in Aliani's reach as she reaches a claw down, ripping open a pouch at her belt and snatching up the potion vial that had been secured inside.

"That your best shot, Pretender."

Haeluna wheezes, and then raises the potion vial to her lips . . .

Show

5' Step to the south, into M5.
    Move Action: Retrieve potion
    Standard: Drink Potion of CSW, provoking an AoO from Aliani only. If his AoO fails to kill her, she gets the potion down and heals.
    CSW: (3d8+5)[20]

Show

Haeluna - 74
    Mandragora - 0

Party!

Silas - 10
    Aliani - 3
    Bellinda - 0, Expeditious Retreat
    Dalen - 27, -2 Con, Unconscious (-5), Stable
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2024-02-03 at 09:03 PM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

His arm trembling slightly, the playwright swung his morningstar, trying to let those lessons from Vencarlo override everything else that was roiling around inside that head and heart of his...

Show

AOO: (1d20+8)[25] attack, (1d8+4)[10]damage if hits...

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

(I think that moment deserves a little of Aliani's personal theme music here!)

Aliani's Theme

Vencarlo's lessons seem to have paid off, as for a moment the playwright is less the desperately fumbling actor he felt like he was and Haeluna just mocked him for, and more like the warrior hero from one of his plays.
    As Haeluna raises the potion vial to her lips, Aliani's morningstar arcs in and catches her full on the other side of her face, cracking her head to one side again and just missing impaling the Eye on one of its spikes.
    The potion vial tumbles from her hands, plopping quietly into the dirt beside one of the now thoroughly trampled flowers in the general vicinity where the final part of this fight has taken place.
    From its position wrapped around Dalen, the vine releases its grip on his neck to speak as Haeluna falls wordlessly to her knees.

"Well . . . done . . . Pretender."

After another moment, Haeluna topples over onto her side, seemingly to shrink a little as her battered body just sort of slides apart into torn giblets held together only loosely by the tangled briars. From its position by Dalen, the vine continues to relax its grip on the wizard as it likewise begins to wilt and shift from a sickly green to dead rust brown.

"It . . . would seem this old crone is . . . more pathetic than she first appeared. Oh well. Savor . . . this meaningless stay of execution . . . while you can. After all . . . if city won't . . . burn . . . then it . . . shall . . . ROT!

The vine rapidly withers away further, melting into what is effectively strings of goo, which in turn rapidly evaporate into nothing but a foul-smelling residue of ectoplasm. As does the rest of the thorns and briars sticking out of Haeluna's skin and holding her literally together, leaving her battered body little more than a bloody pile of gore. The Eye fades from its eerie cobalt blue, frosting over into a pale white orb, like a smooth hailstone. And then like a stone, it cracks and splits, shattering as an inhuman wail echoes throughout the room and assaults your ears. A dark shadow wafts up from the depths of the Eye as it too melts away into goo, and then a disgusting residue, as the shadow likewise quickly fades and melts away to nothing.

And then . . . the world goes sideways. You've all been through this before, as you stepped out of your own "home" or original world, and into this one, by whatever strange means and magicks were causing this phenomenon. It would seem that Sorshen is somehow involved in that, and apparently the Eye's master as well. This particular travel between parallel worlds that you experience now, however, is much harsher and abrupt than the previous ones you've been through. The world sways and seems to tip sideways beneath your feet, dumping you unceremoniously out into yet another similar but not-quite-so subtly different one.

Dalen is still lying bleeding out on the floor, and Queen Ileosa is still over there unconscious. Sabrina is slowly coming too, clutching her head with a groan as she comes around from wherever the nightmare vision Haeluna summoned took her mind to. But Marcus Endrin, Silas, and Magenta are all gone. In their places stand three strangers . . . no, not strangers after all, as the memories from this world slam into the back of your mind like a hammer blow - allies. Your traveling companions, who fought beside you down here in *this* world, and waged a final desperate stand against Haeluna and the Eye to stop her from harming Queen Ileosa, and using Sorshen's strange weapon from harming Korvosa any more than the Cathedral of Asmodeus (which was admitedly not much of a loss, all in all). You also feel strangely stronger, as if either your trials here in this world were harsher, or perhaps merely as a side effect of passing through the veil between worlds to arrive here. Whatever the future may hold, it seems you would need to work together with these newcomers to your group to find answers, and continue to protect Korvosa from the Eye's final threat.

City shall burn . . . City shall rot

End of Book One - Edge of Anarchy

The Story continues in The Crimson Echo, Season Four!