New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The worst stats you've ever kept.

I'm curious to know what you guys all consider acceptable rolled stats, what was the worst-statted character you've ever played (not rerolled), and how that worked out. Was the difference easily noticed, or not?
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2008-05-07 at 08:59 PM.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: The worst stats you've ever kept.

15, 14, 13, 12, 12, 10.

And no, the difference wasn't noticed because I was a broken VoP Monk.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    I'm curious to know what you guys all consider acceptable rolled stats, what was the worst-statted character you've ever played (not rerolled), and how that worked out. Was the difference easily noticed, or not?

14 12 12 11 9 12

female human fighter 7 berserker 1 (Dieties and Demigods berserker, not the frenzied kind)

She survived for eight levels before she met an untimely death. I made up for low stats by rolling high for everything else.

Next lowest was 14 16 11 12 15 10. half-elf female archery specialized ranger 6/ cleric 4. The game collapsed before she died.

Contrast to the last the last character I played

18 16 14 17 16 14 male human fighter 8

and my current character

14 18 12 18 15 16 (yes two natural 18s) female human rogue 5 and counting.

Usually when I roll low for stats (and I haven't in some time now) I make up for it by trying to play smart. If nothing else low stats mean you have to make the most out of your feats and skills and advance wisely as far as multicalssing and prestige classing go.

-Blue
    "For so long I have had no fear of death, but now I am vulnerable, mortal and free." --Saerith Soultouched

"The ends never justify the means --unless they do, of course. The problem is deciding when the means are justified and when they are not, and of course the other problem is that one can never really know the truth of the matter until it is too late." --Soranyi of the Hidden Kingdom.

+ Christian itP +

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Humm, I recall it was 15/12/12/11/8/6. I like low stats. He was a Ranger though, which caused some MAD issues. In the end he ended up dumb as a boot and even uglier than that.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Back in ye old days of 3.0, I had this character:

Elf Fighter (after adjustment, level 1)

STR 15
    DEX 15
    CON 12
    INT 10
    WIS 11
    CHA 8

Prior to applying the elf bonuses/penalties, it was less than 25pt buy (and everyone else had total values of 28+) - I kept it because our group was strict about no rerolls. I actually didn't mind that much, because I was still the best PC of the group. The other members included 3 rogues, and eventually we added a Wizard. The Wizard may have been powerful had we not unanimously agreed that new characters must start at level 1, despite where the rest of the group is. So he kinda lagged for a bit.

One rogue died, and he rerolled as a Half-Elf Monk. Another died, and he played a Kobold Barbarian. They all caught up, but my character managed to stay very useful.

My character got to level 6 as a Fighter, and I then decided "SOMEBODY in this group needs to be able to heal, since I get hurt a lot". So, I multiclassed to Cleric. I had already put my level 4 point in WIS (I had considered grabbing WIS-based spellcasting) anyway. Of course, while my spells were limited, I soon learned to make the best of my buffs.

This group played in the same homebrew world for as long as it remained together. My character was the only one to survive from the beginning of the campaign all the way to the end of the group's sessions (He got to Fighter6/Cleric6). The rest were killed by either the BBEG, his minions, or PCs who turned-coat to join his cause (I should note we were all pretty much the same level, too). Well, actually, the kobold's death wasn't absolutely certain - just alluded to (that player arranged something because he wanted to "go out" in a cool way, and the campaign was over by then anyway).

In the end, my character was described to have left the final scene alone, walking towards a setting sun (yes, the BBEG was defeated, if barely).

So, yeah, I guess that turned out pretty well. But I suppose, things would have been different if I wasn't the only semi-competent player.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-05-07 at 09:39 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

In a one-shot game of Dragonfist (AD&D-based game that is supposed to reflect Wuxia movies. I do not recommend it, not very good) I had a mage with 9 strength, 14 intelligence and 10-11 in all other stats. He didn't die.

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

6/15/10/9/7/12 as I recall.
    Kungaloosh!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Back in 2e, I played a figher with 18/00 14 3 10 9 10. Thad fell on his face... a lot. But whatever he hit, died.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

The elite array.

The DM let me used the elite array after I rolled 15,10,10,10,10,8. Didn't want to keep that.
    "...short, wrinkled, and superfluous." Yes... yes.

Darkling DND - IRC, PBP, and Gamer Networking, plus Character Profiler.
    Now running Low-magic, Sandbox, FR 3.5e DnD. Join #darkling on SorceryNet for more information, or click here.

Let's Play: Siege of Avalon

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

After my Half-Orc Monk with decent stats died, my DM made me roll all my stats, in order, before picking my new class. I ended up with 11, 13, 12, 10, 17, 11, or something like that. So , with my only decent score in Wisdom, I (of course) played a Druid (and was a Dwarf so I could at least get some HP).

EDIT: Though, I don't know if that one really counts - that group only ever played for like a session and a half after that.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-05-07 at 10:20 PM.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

My current character is a human wizard 4 with

Str 7
    Dex 8
    Con 11
    Wis 8
    Int 14 (+1 at 4th level)
    Chr 11

HP 11

Definately the worst character that I've kept.

12. - Top - End - #12

One of my filthy useless groups thinks that D&D is all about rolling stats, and doing what you can. So everyone is forced to keep their 4d6 drop lowest, which since one guy rolls straight 14s and up every time, and everyone else gets 2-3 16s, isn't a problem. But I go through characters faster because I can't stand playing the same character after they die. I also die quite a bit because the DM has monsters/NPCs target the most powerful characters all the time.

SO bottom line this all leads up to:

7/8/9/10/12/14

Which is fine because I just played an anthropomorphic Bat Druid that was way more powerful then anyone else.

Who of course died 4 sessions later tanking the seven Mindflayers. Because he rolled a 1. But my companion finished tanking the rest of the encounter and then I got to roll up a Malconvoker Wizard.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

I admit, I'm a DM, not a player, so I'm actually posting the worst stats one of my players has ever kept.

14/14/12/10/11/10

Not great stats, since he was wanting a Barbarian, but he stuck with his scores and seems okay...
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm,
    8 Str, 11 Dex, 9 Con, 16 Int, 6 Wis, 12 Cha

Using organic rolling, was a smart hero in d20 modern.

Yeah...that character sucked.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, let me think...I don't think I've really had an awful character so far, my stat rolls, although not always brilliant, have always been at least average. The most difficult one to get to survive: a chitine paladin of freedom (and we'd cut out the racial HD). A first level character in a third level party...I took a hit...from a commoner, and was dropped to half hit points. I responded by cracking my four whip daggers at him, one with a smite evil attached. First three missed, awfully (two natural one's, I dropped one of them!), the last one critted. And then the watch turned up, with me and my allies surrounded by a bunch of dead/unconcious commoners.
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pironious View Post
    broken VoP Monk.
    You keep using that word.
    I do not think it means what you think it means.

Edit: Elite array, for me.
    Last edited by Reel On, Love; 2008-05-08 at 12:28 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Str 9
    Dex 6
    Con 5
    Int 6
    Wis 7
    Cha 7

2nd edition human Fighter, 3d6 in that order. This was my reroll from the previous result (Mulligan rule) which, due to a high score of a 6, qualified for no classes in the game.

Have I mentioned that my average d6 roll (5000 rolls against a backing, 10 sets of 500 with each set using different dice) is a 1.84?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin
    Thus, knowing none of us are Sun Tzu or Napoleon or Julius Caesar...
    No, but Swordguy appears to have studied people who are. And took notes.
    "I'd complain about killing catgirls, but they're dead already. You killed them with your 685 quadrillion damage." - Mikeejimbo, in reference to this

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

It wasn't me, but I was running the game:

1st Edition. Temple of Elemental Evil.

Rolls: 3/3/3/5/4/18

Technically, that doesn't qualify for ANY class in 1st Edition: the character can't even exist, since there weren't NPC rules. Nevertheless, the player attempted to go at it, as a Fighter. Got lucky a few times, hid behind the fighters, and managed to kill a few zombies. Heh. Fortunately for him, we didn't go through the whole thing, only the moat house, but he survived through it.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground

Str 12
    Dex 17
    Con 9
    Int 6
    Wis 12
    Cha 12

This after Halfling Racial adjustments. My DM let me reroll four sets of 4d6, drop the lowest, before we decided this was as good as it gets. I've been on point buy ever since. Frankly, I opted for the subpar Con in the hopes that the character would die and I could reroll something new on a better day. Hence the wacky stat and class choices.

However, this Gestault Monk//Druid grew on me because of the backstory. He was nursed by wolves and then raised by Orcs. Mind you, not as another Orc, but as a pet. The pet of our party Cleric//Rogue (who incedentally rolled three 18's), whom like all good Clerics of Grummish, consider all other races inferior. Thus my poor young halfling got kicked around a lot by the Orcs. Being kicked in the head as a young child tends to lower one's Int score, justifying the 6. One learns to survie one's environment (Wis 12) and dodge feet as well (Dex 17). He is also convinced beyond a shadow of a reason that he's an Orc.

Despite hoping he would die the first few sessions, he kept surviving by fluke and by roleplaying the unexpected and comedic. I roleplayed a mesh of a cute puppy // Gir from Invader Zim. There is nothing like fetching a wand of wonders because you think its a stick, accidentally triggering it, resulting in a moose springing forth, ramming a buring hedge, slaming into the wounded black dragon that was chasing us, trapping it in a blaze of foliage and slaying the beast. After several encounters like this, and our party members taking a few deaths, we realized my monk was the only one that kept firmly in the land of the living. He had turned into the underhalfling that the entire party was rooting for. I suspect that our DM secretly committed the greatest sin of DMery and fell in love with him too.

So let that be a lesson, you can optimize all you want and the DM can conjure up something twice as potent. However, all it takes is a retarded halfling with a penchant for licking cursed runes to slay a DM's heart. Thus he became him immortal.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Something like:

STR 6
    DEX 8
    CON 10
    INT 5
    WIS 6
    CHA 11

This was a 2nd edition, 3d6-in-order character, and the ONLY way I was able to play it was to make it an elf or halfling rogue. I also rolled 1 HP (we weren't using max at 1st level or the -10 HP death threshold), so he died in the first encounter.
    This space intentionally left blank

21. - Top - End - #21
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

At ADnD 2nd Edition:

Elf, venerable age:

Str 6, Dex 8, Con 4, Int 21, Wis 19, Cha 16

It wasn't too bad, and I had lots of fun playing it.
    Right now I'm playing a cloistered cleric at 3.5 with the following stats:

Str 14, Dex 6, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 14

32 point buy with the pathetic flaw to drop dex to 6.
    LGBT in the playground - banner by Doihaveaname?.
    Thanks to Ceika, Dihan, Happy Turtle, Reicaden and Haruki for the avatars.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

7, 10, 10, 12, 13, 15. So, about point buy 20.

The character proceeded to outlive everyone in her party and everyone in her next party. I kept playing her from game to game, having to rebuild her twice to meet new campaign requirements, until it became a running joke that the rest of the group could be hit with a nuclear weapon and she'd still survive somehow. I finally retired her at level 12, by which point she'd survived around 25 deaths of other PCs, including three TPKs of everyone except her.

The lesson I learned: stronger is not always better. An apparently weak character can survive longer and be a lot more fun than a powerhouse - if you play smart.

- Saph
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

23. - Top - End - #23

Once, I got three's on everything...

And one 18. I had never played a wizard so squishy before. The sad thing? He still dominated the rest of the group in power.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Let's see worst stat's I've kept. Just after we changed to 3.5, normal 4d6, in order, but with an option to switch any two.

10, 6, 4, 9, 18, 7

the plan had been to play a sorceror. Instead I just swapped the eighteen for the 4, and played a rogue. I spent all my time sneaking within 30' and then running for the protection of the front line. Took my second level in Barbarian for some HP and move speed.

Incredibly fun, right up until that last fort save.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Enigma View Post
    This was a 2nd edition, 3d6-in-order character, and the ONLY way I was able to play it was to make it an elf or halfling rogue. I also rolled 1 HP (we weren't using max at 1st level or the -10 HP death threshold), so he died in the first encounter.
    I've never been a player in a game that wasn't Point Buy, but back when I DMed 2nd edition, it was all the "3d6 in order, deal with it" generation method.

I had a player who was absolutely abysmal at rolling hit points. He had a level 6 Cleric at one time that had 12 hit points, or a level 3 Ranger with 5 hit points. It was terrible.

In fact, I think it was his constant dieing at the drop of a hat that prompted my group to embrace point buy and fixed hit points in 3rd edition so vehemently.

I still can't fully understand why people think that all the randomness is more fun compared to playing the character you want to play. Not because I can't wrap my head around the concept- I get that much, but I've never had a good experience with it, so I can't help but get the impression they're all lying to me for some nefarious reason.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2008-05-08 at 07:24 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Not D&D, but 3d6 in order gave me something like:
    8, 7, 9, 10, 5, 8, 6, 9, 15

The 5 was Int, the 15 was Will. We ruled he was too stupid to realize when others were trying to control him.

Oh, and he technically wasn't fluent in any language. I kept him alive for 5 months, then retired him. 2 weeks later, I couldn't find my character sheet for his replacement, so I pulled him out for the session. He got critted and died. I was a bit annoyed.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I still can't fully understand why people think that all the randomness is more fun compared to playing the character you want to play. Not because I can't wrap my head around the concept- I get that much, but I've never had a good experience with it, so I can't help but get the impression they're all lying to me for some nefarious reason.
    I agree, I have over 100 characters that I want to play in a list, and between them I could play almost any rolled stats (Wildshape Ranger/Master of Many Forms can really be nearly anything) but I still don't understand how deliberately forcing party imbalance and preventing people from playing the characters they want is a good thing.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ellisthion View Post
    It wasn't me, but I was running the game:

1st Edition. Temple of Elemental Evil.

Rolls: 3/3/3/5/4/18

Technically, that doesn't qualify for ANY class in 1st Edition: the character can't even exist, since there weren't NPC rules.
    1st ed you qualify for thief. Thief was the only class that did not require a 9 minimum in their prime requisite at the very least, IIRC.

Would have been the worst thief in existance, but charming and well liked, in that village idiot sort of way. He'd have made a good beggar.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

18(22)/12(10)/16(18)/3(1)/6(4)/5(1)

Homebrewed "neanderthal" type race of mutants.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I can only assume nostalgia - it's a very strong force in almost every human, and doubly so in DND fans. Which is the reason why are there still so many relics of the past in this game that other systems got rid of ages ago, and why everyone whines about 4e which finally gets rid of most of these relics.

*runs away hur-hurring*

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat