New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Girl Genius V: Madre de Diodes!

Previously on GG: Agatha has finally met up with Gil, Merlot is causing havoc, and Zola has disappeared.
    And Gil is experiencing Battle draught side effects.

Links!
    Thread IV
    Link to current comic and link to the beginning of the strip.
    Wiki Project devoted to to Girl Genius
    Wikipedia entry on Girl Genius.
    TV Tropes page on Girl Genius.
    The Continuing Adventures of Othar Tryggvassen, Gentleman Adventurer! (A compliation [and much easier to read if you're just catching up] of the entries can be found here at the GG website)
    Kaja Foglio's LJ Page and Studio Foglio News LJ Page (Both updated infrequently)
    Links to Webcomic Ranking websites. (Used to have Vote Incentives [sketches, parodies of strips, etc] that were changed daily. Might once again.)
    The Secret Blueprints (NOTE: Contains background infomation on the GG Universe, so it should probably be read after "catching up" to the newest comic, as it contains many spoilers.)
    Last edited by Mauve Shirt; 2009-05-22 at 04:15 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Girl Genius V: Madre de Diodes!

I don't think so actually. I mean come on, Gil threw a large Jagger over his head while badly injured. It has been suspected by a lot of people for a long time that The Spark is more than just a mental boost.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Or alternatively, Gil's dad, the morally dubious overlord of all Europe, who happens to be a master of biological experiments, maybe did some enhancement work on Gil?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Selrahc View Post
    Or alternatively, Gil's dad, the morally dubious overlord of all Europe, who happens to be a master of biological experiments, maybe did some enhancement work on Gil?
    That seems the most likely to me.

You know Agatha's one boyfriend is turning green and her other is super strong.

Between the two of them she is dating the Hulk!
    Last edited by EENick; 2009-05-22 at 12:33 PM.
    Try my own recipie for web comic fantasy, humor and adventure in my comic .

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by EENick View Post
    Bruce banner as a spark...

WIN!
    GNU Terry Pratchett

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EvilDMMk3 View Post
    Bruce banner as a spark...

WIN!
    Isn't that how he became the Hulk in the first place?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Selrahc View Post
    This seems to be the most likely of all theories.
    EvilEeyore AntiSocialite

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think so actually. I mean come on, Gil threw a large Jagger over his head while badly injured. It has been suspected by a lot of people for a long time that The Spark is more than just a mental boost.
    you really can't compare vole to that battle clank... Vole probably weigh like the same as a pro wrestler (couple of hundred lbs), while the clank would be more in the neighborhood of that of van (couple of tons)... not to mention that Gil was able to work with vole's momentum to help send him flying... throwing a person down like that can be down

And the only other spark's we have seen possible superior strength is just Klaus and Othar... Kluas however i think it said that he was partially a construct (hence all the stitching) and thus i would not be surprised if their was some muscle enhancement... And Othar, considering how large he is compared to most people and his resilience, i would not be surprised if he too has been taking in muscle enhancing modification

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EENick View Post
    That seems the most likely to me.

You know Agatha's one boyfriend is turning green and her other is super strong.

Except that she hasn't, you know, gone on any dates with either of them! Unless you use The Castle's standards, but really now...
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I think it is clear that Gil has been enhanced with Jager Tek; the question now is how did Klaus "enhance" Gil?

The way I see it, here are the options:
    (1) Klaus injected Gil with Jager Serums at a young age
    (2) Klaus has been secretly dosing Gil with Jager Serums over the years
    (3) Klaus grew Gil in a tank, using Jager Tek to construct the Perfect Heir

Discuss!
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    I think it is clear that Gil has been enhanced with Jager Tek; the question now is how did Klaus "enhance" Gil?

Discuss!
    Gil was a toddler when Klaus returned from Skifander. I find it *highly unlikely* that he'd have access to Jager Tek when totally out of touch with Europe, which eliminates #3 in my mind.

Also, if he knew that he'd constructed the Perfect Heirtm, why would he spend so much time testing him?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional Sage View Post
    Except that she hasn't, you know, gone on any dates with either of them! Unless you use The Castle's standards, but really now...
    Sparks don't date like normal people.

Fighting a berzerk clank together? Date
    Fighting Othar Together? Date
    Playing a deadly game of chess with the other together? Date
    Try my own recipie for web comic fantasy, humor and adventure in my comic .

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional Sage View Post
    Also, if he knew that he'd constructed the Perfect Heirtm, why would he spend so much time testing him?
    Because Gil was an experiment - Klaus didn't know how it would turn out. You have to stress-test your creations to make sure they work as planned.

As for Theory #3, remember that Klaus was already a talented bio-Spark, a close personal friend of the Heterodyne Boys, and potentially dropped off near some old Mongfish labs.

And wouldn't your hypothetical Warrior Race want to destroy something as "unnatural" as an Engineered Heir

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

oooooh nice, Agatha can also be Gil´s damsel in distress. Sorry Pinky.
    solo tú sabes bien quien soy y por eso es tuyo mi corazón
    AKA Yakkul

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

While Gil has demonstrated great strength in the past (e.g. beating the crud out of Othar), the ability to pick up and throw a clank that is three times the size of a man is not something we have seen before. My bet is on a side effect of the Battledraught.
    Merfyn, Level 80 Paladin
    Caddoc, Level 80 Warlock

Proud owner of a vintage Disatar!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Mauve Shirt, can you edit the first post to have all the needed links? (See first post in last thread.)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Consider it done! Because it is!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Discuss!
    I doubt (3), since we've been strongly led to believe that A) Lucrezia 'exiled' Klaus to Skifander, B) while there, he met and married a local girl, and C) they had Gil in the regular way. Tank growth would seem to have no part in this.

As for the rest, yes, it would certainly seem Klaus modified Gil in some way to be more than human. Given his closeness to the Heterodynes, his control of the Castle after he took over Mechanicsburg, and his command of teh Jagers, Klaus may even have gotten hold of or managed to synthesize some Jägerbräu. Refined it to prevent the physical transformation aspects. And given it to Gil, creating a human being with the abilities of a Jager.

But it may not stop there. From what we've seen of Zeetha, the Skifandians ALSO seem to be superhuman, with increased strength, speed, and endurance. How much of that is due to training, and how much to natural ability, we don't know. If they are more than human biologically, then the offspring of a normal human and a Skifandian would also probably be extraordinary, by human standards. Even more so when you consider Klaus is far more, both mentally and physically, than a normal human to begin with. And we don't know what other enhancement techniques and modifications the Baron may have used on Gil. We do know he seems to feel that Gil might not be someone he, Klaus, could stop if Gil determined to oppose him (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20060329). And I don't think that's just paternal pride talking. It may be that Klaus has, deliberately and as skillfully as he could, created a Superman...

Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    Isn't that how he became the Hulk in the first place?
    RE Bruce Banner: Is it? DC and Marvel have re-conned their characters so much I can't keep up on these things anymore. And it's not just changes in origins. I open a comic these days, and while the costumes are usually the same, these just... aren't the characters I grew up with. Or that I really care to read about, anymore.

The last comic I enjoyed whole-heartedly was Phil's Angel and the Ape, I think.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I'd never read Secret Blueprints before.....the Foglios have got to take us to England at some point now, just because that will be too awesome to avoid.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    RE Bruce Banner: Is it? DC and Marvel have re-conned their characters so much I can't keep up on these things anymore. And it's not just changes in origins. I open a comic these days, and while the costumes are usually the same, these just... aren't the characters I grew up with. Or that I really care to read about, anymore.
    This is exactly why I never bothered even trying to look at comic books growing up. On the other hand, I fully expect the Foglios to stop writing Girl Genius at some point. At that point, I will, hopefully, feel satisfied with how the comic went. If I don't, at least I will be fairly certain that they won't be changing it just because some executive decides to take a darker and edgier take on things. Furthermore, I have no doubt that any loose ends lying around aren't close enough to the center of the story to make the end feel forced.

I should probably stop rambling about things I know nothing about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

21. - Top - End - #21

Tarvek got his ass handed to him by a Geisterdamen mook. So no. Granted, it was a strong and well-armed mook. However, other minor characters with the Spark (e.g. Theo and the Circus) aren't characterized by their athletic abilities. It's a stretch to claim that the Spark does anything other then give mental insight. Nor does athletic ability correlate with the strength of a Spark, illustated by Othar, who is considered a fairly minor Spark.

Gil is unusually strong and fast, although whether this is due to his natural gifts, tampering by his father or a combination of those things and the battle draught is not entirely explicit. Point being, Gil is special, to the point of being nearly superhuman. My guess would be that his already impressive abilities are being pushed to limits of self-injury by the battle draught numbing his sense of pain.
    Last edited by LurkerInPlayground; 2009-05-22 at 11:27 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

OK, are the Foglios using Othar's Twitter to tease us about the main plotline? If so, I'm REALLY intrigued now! And frustrated. And impatient. And and andandandandand!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

Love the new thread title.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan View Post
    Love the new thread title.
    I agree.

One thing that has been bothering me:

Klaus having the locket. Where did he get it? (Presumeably from Moloch) Why did he fix it? Does he understand what it does? Why was he carrying it? What were his plans for it?
    EvilEeyore AntiSocialite

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
    Klaus having the locket. Where did he get it? (Presumeably from Moloch) Why did he fix it? Does he understand what it does? Why was he carrying it? What were his plans for it?
    He got it from Moloch and recognized it as having belonged to Lucrezia. Likely he also noticed the hidden clockwork (thoughtfully exposed by Moloch) and tried to analyze it.

It seems likely that he understood what the mechanism did. First of all, he repaired it; secondly he has a known talent for synthesizing the technology of others; and finally, putting a Spark-removal device on a dangerous Spark makes very good sense

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

26. - Top - End - #26

He got it from Moloch and recognized it as having belonged to Lucrezia.
    First off, that's maybe what Lucrezia thought, it is left ambigious. Klaus may have had other motives. But the notion he carried to trick her into putting it on, not a bad one.

It seems likely that he understood what the mechanism did.
    Did he? One could infer that, but I'm not so sure.

First of all, he repaired it;
    Agian, did he? Or as AI suggest later, did he make soemthing else?

putting a Spark-removal device on a dangerous Spark makes very good sense
    Sure. If that's what it did. Except, you know, it hasn't.

It's suppressed the Other completely, but not Agatha at all. So it's rather a poor Spark-Suppressor, but it seems to be a great Possession-Supressor.

Except, I'm not sure Klaus thinks that's what it did. Or maybe he just overreacted in stereotypical Klaus fashion... kill it, then study the remains later when it's safe. I'm not sure.

It still remains a relatively unanswered quandry. Argggh! And it'll be ages before Gil gets back to his Father and gets answers!

hmmm. On second thought... The locket may have been designed towards dual-purposes. Spark Suppression to allow Agatha to slowly come into her own as a Spark, Other Suppression incase Barry (or anyone else0 wasn't around to save her from the body-stealing Other. It's not entirely inconcievable that Barry knew not only who the Other was, but what the Other was up to towards the end.

And that's another mystery well have to wait forever to get answers to. Aaargh!!
    Last edited by evileeyore; 2009-05-23 at 02:43 AM.
    EvilEeyore AntiSocialite

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
    hmmm. On second thought... The locket may have been designed towards dual-purposes. Spark Suppression to allow Agatha to slowly come into her own as a Spark, Other Suppression incase Barry (or anyone else0 wasn't around to save her from the body-stealing Other. It's not entirely inconcievable that Barry knew not only who the Other was, but what the Other was up to towards the end.
    I feel that Other-Suppression was an unexpected side effect of the device - after all, even Other Agatha isn't quite sure how the Possession works. Of course, Barry could have known about the Summoning Engine, but I doubt he would have understood the mechanism as well as The Other.

But I'm pretty sure Klaus knows exactly what this Locket is. First of all, it triggers his (naughty) flashback. Secondly, look at Other Agatha's reaction in Panel 6 - that is a look of recognition. At the very least Original Lucrezia had some sentimental attachment to the Locket, whether she owned it or not.

I seriously doubt that Klaus modified the Heterodyne Device to stop The Other - he had no way of suspecting that it would possess Agatha. And if he had, he would have had her stunned down instead of negotiated with - he clearly believed he had a superior position.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

It triggers his flashback because it's got pictures of Bill and Lucrezia in it. She might just recognize it as a Heterodyne locket and have inferred that Klaus wanted to give it to her daughter so that everyone would know she was a Heterodyne and then create a Wulfenbach/Heterodyne alliance, which would probably increase the popularity of his empire. Because otherwise that idea sort of came out of nowhere. Why would she have said that? Heck, she might have opened it and seen the pictures of herself and Bill inside, and thought it was kind of sweet.
    There are so many Heterodyne sigils out there, being used as lockets and pins and decoration of every kind (I mean, the Heterodynes, like Klaus, love to label their stuff) that I doubt Klaus, Lucrezia, or anyone else could specifically recognize a single one as having belonged to her at some point.
    Last edited by datalaughing; 2009-05-23 at 08:04 AM.
    If you're a Brandon Sanderson fan (or you want to start being one), check out The Sanderlanche podcast!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Maybe, maybe not. The last person to have the locket was Moloch (after he had broken it). Klaus clearly found it after he desicovered Agathay was a Heterodyne and then repaired it. Klaus had been with the Boys for a fair period of time and almost certainly would have recognized it as being built by one of them. He might have even known what it did. Since Klaus knew that the locket didn't belong to Moloch, it's belonging to Agatha is a very easy conclution to make. Not to mention the inscription saying "Return to Agatha Clay" on it. Klaus knew it was special, otherwise he would have not fixed/rebuilt it and kept it with him in a special case.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I feel that Other-Suppression was an unexpected side effect of the device -
    I agree... i mean, the device is basically a device that makes it hard to think and can thus render a spark stupid. The procession of Agatha by the Other is essentially a mental battle between the two of them... The locket has somehow lost it's effect on Agatha, but it still has it's full effect on the Other- the result? the locket makes it hard for the other to think, while Aagtha has no problem and thus winning the mental battle against the other becomes a cake walk for her.