New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Why do female dragonborn have breast?

This is just me, but I really just don't see a reason for it. Dragonborn seem to have that lump, for no real good reason.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Why do female dragonborn have breast?

The breast tissue doesn't get redistributed when you use the ritual thingie to go from mammal to reptile?
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

The males like them. They don't really need any more reason than that. It's also a unique identifying trait of the Humanoid trait..

And what Grod said. Dragons are mammals too, even though they have scales.
    Last edited by Scow2; 2013-09-23 at 06:50 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CyberDrag View Post
    This is just me, but I really just don't see a reason for it. Dragonborn seem to have that lump, for no real good reason.
    Well, physical characteristics from the previous race carry over to some extent (stat bonuses carry over, as does size). So maybe they're just there because the female mammals they used to be had breasts, and the transformation doesn't completely remove them.
    If build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Scow2 View Post
    The males like them. They don't really need any more reason than that. It's also a unique identifying trait of the Humanoid trait..

And what Grod said. Dragons are mammals too, even though they have scales.
    Wrong, dragons are not mammals, but they are, in fact, endothermic (like mammals and birds). I don't think I'd put them in the Aves class, though, since if the Draconomicon is to be believed, there are a few big differences in the class Aves and whatever it is that dragons are in. Perhaps it should be called Draco?

But the main thing is that dragons do not have mammaries, and therefore are not mammals. If a dragonborn comes from a race that has them originally, then I suppose they might be kept for the sake of letting the dragonborn keep a physical representation of their sexual identity. In all honesty, I could see females with very broad hips (egg-laying and whatnot) and consider that good enough, although I'm sure it would make many dragonborn uncomfortable if the only way another race could determine your gender without you saying is if they stared at your butt.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Because the ones in the pictures have them.

They don't really have a purpose for all of those horns and stuff, either.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I think you are not recognizing their vast pectoral implants for what they are...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

4e dragonborn nurse their young.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Probably the same reason why female fighters run around in chainmail bikinis.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

In 3.X I'd say the ritual is actually a good explanation that makes sense.

In general though
    The player (female) I've had play draconic races wanted them.
    It's the most easily identifiable sexual dimorphism in humans and the artists use them as a means of allowing you to sex the character because of such.
    They think boobs sell maybe
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Because of the rule of non-mammal mammaries. It's to make the character appealing to the human players because boobs.
    Spoiler: Before June 2017
    Show
    I Am A: True Neutral Human Bard (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-11
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-11
    As of June 2017:
    I Am A: True Neutral Human Wizard (2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-18
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-12

What Kind of Dungeons and Dragons Character Would You Be?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

In 4e, it doesn't make sense because Dragonborn are an essentially reptilian race, and is just in there because they thought that girls needed some tertiary sexual characteristics to identify with female characters.

In 3.5 though it's completely logical. You go into an egg, and when you come out you're covered in scales. It's still mostly your old body underneath.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

3.X: What the other guys said.
    4E: ...Because Boobs?
    "All things must end, and you will be among the first."
    I love Ceika <3

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    You've got good reasoning, though the Akastarepti is never the best example.

Extended Sig

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

Nonsense. Those are etheric beam detectors.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Manly Man View Post
    Wrong, dragons are not mammals, but they are, in fact, endothermic (like mammals and birds). I don't think I'd put them in the Aves class, though, since if the Draconomicon is to be believed, there are a few big differences in the class Aves and whatever it is that dragons are in. Perhaps it should be called Draco?
    I recently saw a screenshot of a Facebook conversation where someone who studied paleontology tentatively classified Skyrim dragons as archosaurs, possibly a pterosaur. If I understand my classifications right, this makes dragons either a sister group to both crocodiles and dinosaurs(birds), or a sister group to the combined crocodile/dinosaur group. The combined dinosaur/crocodile/dragon/pterosaur group is like, a subgroup of a subgroup of a subgroup of the group that also includes lizards (which is a subgroup of the group that includes turtles, which is a subgroup of the group that includes mammals).
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arutema View Post
    Beat me to it. "I was just trying to stay current!"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Personally, I imagine Bahamut, having gained a long-lived, extremely devoted servant on the Prime in his big crusade against evil/Tiamat, probably would let someone

1.) Have breasts if s/he didn't already have them
    2.) Not have breasts if s/he already had them
    3.) Undergo wholesale gender change

All of that physical stuff is nice, but the whole thing is simply a symbol of the mortal's extreme devotion to the cause. All that cosmetic, and a large amount of the sexual stuff, is extremely secondary in importance.

In 3.5, were dragonborn a true-breeding race? Or doesn't a female dragonborn give birth to a normal offspring of her previous race (which might require her to have breasts to nurse the babe with)?
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

Why do some birds have colorful feathers? Because the opposite sex likes them and it makes finding a mate easier. This is an evolutionary advantage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    The professionally offended will always find something to be angry about.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by lsfreak View Post
    I recently saw a screenshot of a Facebook conversation where someone who studied paleontology tentatively classified Skyrim dragons as archosaurs, possibly a pterosaur. If I understand my classifications right, this makes dragons either a sister group to both crocodiles and dinosaurs(birds), or a sister group to the combined crocodile/dinosaur group. The combined dinosaur/crocodile/dragon/pterosaur group is like, a subgroup of a subgroup of a subgroup of the group that also includes lizards (which is a subgroup of the group that includes turtles, which is a subgroup of the group that includes mammals).
    That's also Skyrim, not D&D. :P On top of that, I am not a paleontologist, so I'm a little lost at all the sister groups here, and most of what you said kind of went in one ear and out the other. Sorry.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

*puts away long-winded lecture on heat-exchange, heart structure, comparative efficiency of metabolism, and yet more arcane topics*

Um, then I'm going to have to stick with "because Bahamut doesn't really care about details like that." Alternatively, "because Bahamut wants it that way."

I guess part of it might be to maintain a distinct appearance from the dragonspawn of Tiamat.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

It's simple. Males keep their Draconis Fundamentum somewhere in their beer belly. Females have two of them higher up there.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    I guess part of it might be to maintain a distinct appearance from the dragonspawn of Tiamat.
    "Stay away from the Dark Side: They lack titties"

Also, for 4e Dragonborn, This:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    Why do some birds have colorful feathers? Because the opposite sex likes them and it makes finding a mate easier. This is an evolutionary advantage.

24. - Top - End - #24

RedWizardGuy

3e dragonborn are sterile. They're crusaders of the cause against evil dragonkind, and thus have no time for child-rearing, plus Bahamut believes that it should be a choice of path, not something to be born into.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    In 4e, it doesn't make sense because Dragonborn are an essentially reptilian race, and is just in there because they thought that girls needed some tertiary sexual characteristics to identify with female characters.
    Except they're only as reptilian as a dragon is... they're warm-blooded (and some spit fire or ice, things that an ectothermic creature couldn't). The additional supplementary material for 4e Dragonborn also has them nurse their young, meaning that yes, they do use them.

...Actually, in either edition, it doesn't matter where you put them in your taxonomy, Dragonborn are (in-game) a divinely created race (differing in that 4e has them as an ancient self-procreating race, while in 3.X they're special petitioners to Bahamut), and thus not necessarily needing to follow any kind of biological rules that apply here on earth.

I mean, really, in a game where the dead walk with unholy energy and giant skulls with dozens of eyes fly and shoot magic beams, people complain about a draconic humanoid having mammaries?
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2013-09-23 at 09:28 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    I mean, really, in a game where the dead walk with unholy energy and giant skulls with dozens of eyes fly and shoot magic beams, people complain about a draconic humanoid having mammaries?
    IN THE NAME OF BAHAMUT, WE WILL SPECULATE!

*ahem* Sorry for the loud-voice. Bahamut compelled me. /cop out

Extended Sigbox

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's the place where the organ that produces breath weapons are stored in female dragonborn. It's also the reason the males tend to have big pecks, and as such, males find females with noticeble breast's attractive because, with any hope, there children should, by pure genetics, have a powerful natural weapon compared to their peers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    It's the place where the organ that produces breath weapons are stored in female dragonborn. It's also the reason the males tend to have big pecks, and as such, males find females with noticeble breast's attractive because, with any hope, there children should, by pure genetics, have a powerful natural weapon compared to their peers.
    My brain just concocted some unholy mix of eHarmony for dragonborn, and eugenics.

Hmm. I'm smelling an interesting adventure hook in there.

Extended Sigbox

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Except they're only as reptilian as a dragon is... they're warm-blooded (and some spit fire or ice, things that an ectothermic creature couldn't). The additional supplementary material for 4e Dragonborn also has them nurse their young, meaning that yes, they do use them.
    The supplementary material only exists because they initially had breasts, though, not the other way around. It's a post-hoc justification. And dragons don't give milk, at least not in D&D.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    The supplementary material only exists because they initially had breasts, though, not the other way around. It's a post-hoc justification. And dragons don't give milk, at least not in D&D.
    But Dragonborn are not actually dragons.

Personally, I think the breasts (They aren't necessarily mammaries, though) are a result of the Humanoid figure, and serve no purpose other than show (And maybe breath-weapon source) - which is more than enough.