PDA

View Full Version : How about that Valve and/or Steam, eh?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

shadow_archmagi
2009-08-13, 05:54 PM
I think that the update should give everyone one free hat.

Rutskarn
2009-08-13, 05:56 PM
I think that the update should give everyone one free hat.

Yeah, for serious.

At this point, just enough people have hats that it seems like everyone has a hat but you.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-08-13, 05:56 PM
Woa. The teleporter change is.... fairly big.

Fawkes
2009-08-13, 05:59 PM
Three things:

1. How did Phase, Nano, and Davin get in the Beta?

2. TF2 Update live? Must play!

3. Just beat Beyond Good and Evil. Great game.

Rutskarn
2009-08-13, 06:01 PM
Think I'm gonna go put the update through its paces.

Also, man, I wish admins could mess with the map list. We need these new maps, dammit.

Player_Zero
2009-08-13, 06:02 PM
I dunno about this changing the stun damage from 50% to 75% you know.

Ziren
2009-08-13, 06:05 PM
Woa. The teleporter change is.... fairly big.

It's good though. Stuff that I don't like:

- CTF critboost: This basically means that the first capture almost always wins the round.
- Übercharged players can no longer be stunned: And how am I going to get an achievement that requires me to do exactly that?

Rutskarn
2009-08-13, 06:08 PM
Aaaand the steam servers are busy. Shocker.

RMS Oceanic
2009-08-13, 06:09 PM
Definately an interesting update, but one thing bugs me:

"Übercharged players can no longer be stunned."

Wasn't that one of the points of the Sandman, to give us another option for stopping an Ubercharge? And what about the achievement attached to it?

Player_Zero
2009-08-13, 06:13 PM
With any luck the -25 health will dissuade goons from using the sandman but I can't help but feel that this is enabling cheap kills with the sandman.

Morrandir
2009-08-13, 06:15 PM
Definately an interesting update, but one thing bugs me:

"Übercharged players can no longer be stunned."

Wasn't that one of the points of the Sandman, to give us another option for stopping an Ubercharge? And what about the achievement attached to it?

Does it count if you drill a Kritzed guy?

Rutskarn
2009-08-13, 06:19 PM
Or maybe I won't play the update, GLITCHING gaming computer that took this opportunity to NOT WANT TO WORK.

GRAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH!

Player_Zero
2009-08-13, 06:24 PM
Can't connect to any of the freaking servers yet since they need to be updated too.

AlterForm
2009-08-13, 06:27 PM
Added a color blind option to add a Jarate icon above enemies who are busy accepting a terrifying existence where they have no dignity.

Heh.10char

Nano
2009-08-13, 06:39 PM
1. How did Phase, Nano, and Davin get in the Beta?

I'm not sure you know what you're talking about, here.

Because I don't, and I think that I would.

Killersquid
2009-08-13, 06:50 PM
Man I haven't played TF2 in ages. Guess this update is a sign for me to play again

KBF
2009-08-13, 07:05 PM
It's good though. Stuff that I don't like:

- CTF critboost: This basically means that the first capture almost always wins the round.

...10 seconds? It's a fairly strong bit of momentum, but it isn't an instawin unless the team was going to get rolled anyway. It's a fairly strong way of speeding up CTF without remaking the maps to be ridiculously open.

EDIT:

Fixed Heavy "civilian" exploit.

And THIS was what the tenth class remark was referring to. They removed the the tenth class AGAIN.

Fawkes
2009-08-13, 07:05 PM
I'm not sure you know what you're talking about, here.

Because I don't, and I think that I would.

I saw "Hidden Source Beta" and went a little insane. It's past me now.

Limos
2009-08-13, 07:08 PM
GAH! Why did they take away stunning on ubers?! That was like the one cool thing I could do as a Scout. And how are we supposed to get the Big Hurt achievement now? If you haven't stunned 25 ubers it will forever mock you from your achievement page.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-08-13, 07:16 PM
Hmmm...anyone know if this "disguised spies no longer trigger on hit effects" applies to the pyro's burn effect? *crosses fingers and hopes*

shadow_archmagi
2009-08-13, 07:20 PM
Hmmm...anyone know if this "disguised spies no longer trigger on hit effects" applies to the pyro's burn effect? *crosses fingers and hopes*

Yes, because you really need MORE of my knives in your back.

Nano
2009-08-13, 07:35 PM
What do you guys think of auto-reload? It's a little annoying on most classes to me, excepting probably Soldier and Demoman.

KBF
2009-08-13, 07:47 PM
What do you guys think of auto-reload? It's a little annoying on most classes to me, excepting probably Soldier and Demoman.

I was already trying to get auto-reload to work using scripts on tf2wiki, did they really add an actual autoreload? I mean, now that all the weapons can have their reload animations canceled, it just makes sense... But they really did it?

EDIT: BLU menu screen?! Frikkin' A. I love this softer color scheme that BLU has. And the little icons for each class with the tip when you load a server? What else did they add?! Now I'm excited to find out, and the update already came out!

Player_Zero
2009-08-13, 07:51 PM

I VERY much doubt it.

Phase
2009-08-13, 07:55 PM
Why is this update better than all the updates?

Because the Heavy can wear Jayne Cobb's cunning ****ing hat:
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8421/hats2.jpg

Player_Zero
2009-08-13, 07:59 PM
I WANT that beard.

Rutskarn
2009-08-13, 08:03 PM
I WANT that beard.

Somehow, I guessed.

Myself, I covet the pyro hats. Also, the Jayne hat. Boater hat's pretty cool too.

Player_Zero
2009-08-13, 08:04 PM
Somehow, I guessed.

Myself, I covet the pyro hats. Also, the Jayne hat. Boater hat's pretty cool too.

It's a spycamera. In a beard. Spycamerabeard. SPY. CAMERA. BEARD.

wojonatior
2009-08-13, 08:06 PM
Yea... I am back now. So i will probably be playing more now.

And ditto what zero said. SPYCAMERABEARD!!!

Dogmantra
2009-08-13, 08:06 PM
Zero, who are you kidding? The moment they update it so that you can get hats based on skill level, you'll get all of them. In fact, you'll probably get all of them the moment before...

In other words: STOP BEING SO GOOD AT TF2!

Rutskarn
2009-08-13, 08:11 PM
This new hat update really just highlights the absurdity of the current headgear situation. Out of all of those hats, what are the odds you're going to get the one you really want? Huh?

Here's a thought, Valve: JUST GIVE US SOME HATS. WHY DON'T YOU JUST GIVE US THE HATS. SKILL HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHETHER OR NOT WE WIN THEM. ALL YOU'RE DOING IS TORMENTING US. PLEASE, JUST GIVE US THE GOD DAMNED HATS.

Or at least give us a system for getting hats! Like, one we can understand and observe? Like Phase suggested: 1 new hat every 6 times your team wins. There we go! We can work with that, Valve. We're earning them.

Player_Zero
2009-08-13, 08:14 PM
Think I've figured out scout a bit better now. Assassinating medics, snipers, engineers setting up, demomen, bad soldiers, heavies running along and whatnot.

Also, this wanting a hat, thinking it's unfair and business is a gimmick.

Rutskarn
2009-08-13, 08:16 PM
It's not like Valve has some sort of god-given responsibility to furnish us with chapeaus, and it's not like this is some sort of consumer rights issue. I just wants me a goddamn hat and don't see the point of withholding them.

KBF
2009-08-13, 08:16 PM
Or at least give us a system for getting hats! Like, one we can understand and observe? Like Phase suggested: 1 new hat every 6 times your team wins. There we go! We can work with that, Valve. We're earning them.

You know pretty freaking well you are going to fix the matches one way or another until you get the hats you want. Whether it's an empty server or if there's a player requisite, an organized full server.

For gods sake if there was a system that could be broken in any way everybody would have hats. Except me, because I wouldn't break it. But everyone else? I'm going to be the one guy with no hats, and you all are going to shun me.

Rutskarn
2009-08-13, 08:19 PM
Okay, I'll bite. So people break the system and get all the hats.

So what?

So. Frickin'. What.

Does that break my bones? Does that insult me as a person? Does that pick my pocket? Does it make the game less fun or profitable?

If this was an MMO, the current scheme would be genius. It'd keep butts in seats, so to speak. But this is not an MMO. I am not playing a monthly fee. Any improvements to the game either a.) make people buy it or b.) endear us to Valve.

And guess what? My proposition might do BOTH.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-13, 08:21 PM
You know pretty freaking well you are going to fix the matches one way or another until you get the hats you want. Whether it's an empty server or if there's a player requisite, an organized full server.

For gods sake if there was a system that could be broken in any way everybody would have hats. Except me, because I wouldn't break it. But everyone else? I'm going to be the one guy with no hats, and you all are going to shun me.

Now that's not fair. I won't have hats.

I don't play the game, but still.

Player_Zero
2009-08-13, 08:22 PM
It's not like Valve has some sort of god-given responsibility to furnish us with chapeaus, and it's not like this is some sort of consumer rights issue. I just wants me a goddamn hat and don't see the point of withholding them.

So. They're teasing you? Like, with some sort of teaser? Valve? Why I never.

KBF
2009-08-13, 08:27 PM
Playing the game as intended will yield worse results than cheating. Kind of like achievements, but on a less game affecting and yet much larger scale. Everybody else will look awesome, except the cool people. That is an issue.

EDIT: argh someone make whatever hosting company shamus is using update the server

And get Shamus to give some controls to Rut and Phase. I mean.. Seriously.

Fawkes
2009-08-13, 08:41 PM
You deserve a medal. (http://www.teamfortress.com/classless/hidden/today_is_a_good_day/)

Confirmed not to be a hoax by Valve. (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10887249&postcount=30)

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-13, 08:44 PM
You deserve a medal. (http://www.teamfortress.com/classless/hidden/today_is_a_good_day/)

I WANT THIS GAME JUST SO I CAN GET THE MEDAL

Stupid not gaming-laptop and not being allowed to play M games.

Player_Zero
2009-08-13, 08:46 PM

Confirmed not to be a hoax by Valve. (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10887249&postcount=30)

Well, I double checked the page and its source code before I clicked it all the same...

Fawkes
2009-08-13, 08:49 PM
Well, I double checked the page and its source code before I clicked it all the same...

I don't blame ya. I changed my password after I clicked.

Rutskarn
2009-08-13, 08:54 PM
Got one! Booya!

Player_Zero
2009-08-13, 08:55 PM
Knowing Valve that button probably deletes all your unlocks.

Rutskarn
2009-08-13, 08:57 PM
Well I deleted mine FIRST, so BOOYAH.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-13, 09:01 PM
Nah, what it really does is permanently lock any unlockable you don't have at the time of getting the medal.

Worira
2009-08-13, 09:02 PM
So, on the one hand, I am strongly opposed to unlockables available in limited numbers, based on no merit of the player.

On the other hand, I have a medal. My opinions regarding the players who will be unjustly kept from this prize can, therefore, be succinctly expressed: Neener neener!

KBF
2009-08-13, 09:10 PM
I always thought "neener neener" was just really awkward and more humiliating for the one saying it.

I prefer the classic AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
I HAZ MEDAL NOOB LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

EDIT: Thanks Mecha, I hate you slightly less now.

TheLogman
2009-08-13, 09:11 PM
Booya! I got mine!

Thanks for the info!

EDIT: My method of Verification was that I couldn't actually remember my valve password, and had to be told the various ones I was entering were wrong twice before I got it.

Dogmantra
2009-08-13, 09:13 PM
I got one too!
I hope it's not fake :smalltongue:

Rigel Cyrosea
2009-08-13, 09:21 PM
They're all out of medals now... :smallfrown:

Player_Zero
2009-08-13, 09:27 PM

Are you sure?

KBF
2009-08-13, 09:30 PM

Don't worry. The only one of us that would lord it over you is.. Faulty, I bet that jerk'd do that. :smalltongue:

Nano
2009-08-13, 09:31 PM
Oh no. We totally would. Each and every one of us. Deserves a medal.

NeoVid
2009-08-13, 09:34 PM
30 minutes late to get a medal... arg.

And the update has no change to the hat drops, and no trading system, so whatever.

There is such a think as team chat, you know.

Just press U, type your message, and magic happens.

I was using an extremely risky and valuable sentry spot, and it was likely that if I stopped repairing and upgrading for a few seconds to type, it would have been wrecked. That's part of why I needed other people there to cover me.

Why would you ask 'who wants an uber' anyway? Assay the situation. Is it better for a pyro? Demo? Is there a good player of the class you desire? What about a closer alternative?

Then I usually target them and say Z3, Z4, X7 or maybe X3 until they get the idea.

Well, when I ask that during setup, my theory is that someone who thinks they'll do some good with the uber will say to use it on them. I suppose I should say that whoever wants to get ubered should call for medic right then.

Archangel Yuki
2009-08-13, 09:35 PM
I was like ooh, medals!

So I go to get one.

This happened.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x8/BobAsh_album/RageGuy.jpg

Player_Zero
2009-08-13, 09:36 PM
To everyone without a medal: you are all weak. You are all bleeders.

ur a maget.

Alleine
2009-08-13, 09:41 PM
I think Valve exists only to mock and laugh at us.

Case and point: hats.

Case and point times 2: Medals.

I didn't get one because I was too busy playing Tf2 -_-
And hats are just Valve's way of saying how much they hate each and every one of us. True story.

Nano
2009-08-13, 09:42 PM
I have both a soldier hat and a medal. I rock.

Player_Zero
2009-08-13, 09:43 PM
I have both a soldier hat and a medal. I rock.

Not the good soldier hat though.

Nano
2009-08-13, 09:45 PM
Not the good soldier hat though.

Well, no. But it's enough. To lord over the hatless, at least.

KBF
2009-08-13, 09:45 PM
..I.. I just realized something.

I.. I have a medal. I am now better than 75% of all TF2 players. Screw hats, you guys lose.

Ziren
2009-08-13, 09:48 PM
I missed the medal because I couldn't remember my password... When I had set up a new one they were already out.
Oh well, but I bet (not literally) that I'm the only one with a collection of Jarate. Take that, you hat-wearing, medal-bearing snobs.

Alleine
2009-08-13, 09:48 PM
Oh and before I forget, has anyone been having problems with the sandman? After the update I seem unable to actually use it to stun. The scout just acts like there's someone in front of him and swings the bat. Holds onto the ball and just swings. Its quite vexing when you try to go for the stun only to realize you can't.

And just how does Valve expect me to troll be an effective scout when I can't stun ubers? It makes my scout-heart cry.

Ziren
2009-08-13, 09:50 PM
Oh and before I forget, has anyone been having problems with the sandman? After the update I seem unable to actually use it to stun. The scout just acts like there's someone in front of him and swings the bat. Holds onto the ball and just swings. Its quite vexing when you try to go for the stun only to realize you can't.

Mouse 2, not Mouse 1.

Rutskarn
Yeah. Once again, I'm in an elite fraternity.

I say one again because did I mention that according to a questionably relevant statistic, I was once in the top .5% of Survival players and am currently in the top 1.7%? Because I am you know.

TheLogman
The Ball has been moved to the right click.

Also, wow, I didn't expect medals to go that fast.

Alleine
2009-08-13, 09:52 PM
Mouse 2, not Mouse 1.

... FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Ok, now I'm hatless, medaless, AND I feel like an idiot.
Although I suppose I won't feel so bad when I find someone with a medal and dominate them into the sun For Great Justice.

Player_Zero
2009-08-13, 09:53 PM
Yeah. Once again, I'm in an elite fraternity.

I say one again because did I mention that according to a questionably relevant statistic, I was once in the top .5% of Survival players and am currently in the top 1.7%? Because I am you know.

You're one in fifty? Well that's pretty good. But I'm one in a million.

Dogmantra
2009-08-13, 10:00 PM

Meh. Everyone knows "one in a million" really means "nine times out of ten"

Archangel Yuki
2009-08-13, 10:04 PM

So there are, in theory, Six Thousand Player_Zeros' in the world. You are not at all unique or a novelty.

I write this out of envy, and jelousy.

Phase
2009-08-13, 10:13 PM
Has anyone else experienced a shortened igniting range for the pyro? I hope it's just a glitch, the pyro doesn't need a nerf...

Nano
2009-08-13, 10:34 PM
Meh. Everyone knows "one in a million" really means "nine times out of ten"

He's only a P_Z nine times out of ten? What is he the tenth time?

Archangel Yuki
2009-08-13, 10:43 PM
Has anyone else experienced a shortened igniting range for the pyro? I hope it's just a glitch, the pyro doesn't need a nerf...

No, its intentional. The change makes it so that the first half of the Fire does only damage; the 2nd half causes ignition.

Fawkes
2009-08-13, 11:27 PM

Unfortunately, it's a real change. It's not the only unannounced change. Check out this page (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938156).

On second thought, it might be a glitch, but it's happening to everyone.

wojonatior
2009-08-14, 12:05 AM
He's only a P_Z nine times out of ten? What is he the tenth time?
Rutskarn

... FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Ok, now I'm hatless, medaless, AND I feel like an idiot.

Damn valve.

Rutskarn
2009-08-14, 12:12 AM
A bang-up tea with cream buns and a medal.

Kyouhen
2009-08-14, 12:19 AM
Fine, you guys want to lord your medals over me? Be that way. I'll be laughing when I get the Spybeardcamera within 10 minutes of playing. And I will then play Spy forever. And I will never disguise. And I will never cloak. You will all see my beard in it's awesome glory all the time. I will charge straight at you for the sole purpose of letting you get a face full of awesomeness before I die. Then I'll do it again.

Worira
2009-08-14, 12:47 AM
Unfortunately, it's a real change. It's not the only unannounced change. Check out this page (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938156).

On second thought, it might be a glitch, but it's happening to everyone.

Bizarre and strange. Buffed CD, nerfed DR, huge sticky jumps. Weird. The sticky jump, at least, is almost certainly a glitch.

On another note, I've started playing Minerva. I have a much greater respect for the Combine now.

TheLogman
2009-08-14, 12:47 AM
The Spycrab is about 50 million times more awesome if the Spycrab in question also has a CAMERABEARD.

That's about all there is to it.

Got quite a few unlocks tonight. A few bonks and a Dead Ringer.

Seems like I get one every play session of like 45 minutes to an hour.

But alas, I am naught but a lowly commoner.

Hatless.

I do, however, have a medal, which is totally awesome.

The Linker
2009-08-14, 01:08 AM
But alas, I am naught but a lowly commoner.

Hatless.

I do, however, have a medal, which is totally awesome.

Forsooth! I am in the same boat which doth be plagued by the same plight as your boat! I hath a medal, or perhaps it be more correct to say my mail hath a medal, but I go hatless! Together we shall lord over those with simple mounds of hair hangething from their chin and containing some sort of useless and horribly obvious flashing apparatus! GAZE UPON MY SHINY MEDAL, BALTHASARETHETH, AND SURRENDER YOUR DIGNITY IN THE FORM OF A FRUITLESS BEGGINGETH OF ME FOR MY SHINY MEDAL! BE LORDED OVER BY ME, I SAY!

Kyouhen
2009-08-14, 01:25 AM
Forsooth! I am in the same boat which doth be plagued by the same plight as your boat! I hath a medal, or perhaps it be more correct to say my mail hath a medal, but I go hatless! Together we shall lord over those with simple mounds of hair hangething from their chin and containing some sort of useless and horribly obvious flashing apparatus! GAZE UPON MY SHINY MEDAL, BALTHASARETHETH, AND SURRENDER YOUR DIGNITY IN THE FORM OF A FRUITLESS BEGGINGETH OF ME FOR MY SHINY MEDAL! BE LORDED OVER BY ME, I SAY!

Though shalt surely be the first to face my wrath upon the receiving of my hat or beard.

Alleine
2009-08-14, 01:35 AM
Wait, I think I can still salvage this...
I know! I'll delete all of my weapons and play with only the basic weapons, using them to defeat all medal'd and hatted foes. Then I shall lord my obviously skilled superiority of your mere luck of the draw!

potatocubed
2009-08-14, 01:37 AM
See, as far as I'm concerned this update consists of more hats for me to not have, a medal for me to not have, and a stealth nerf to my beloved pyro.

Bah. :smallannoyed:

Fawkes
2009-08-14, 01:54 AM
From the internets:

Basically, this mod will allow any class to wear any hat with a simple chat command that will bring up a menu.

217.163.26.20:27015
208.43.99.169:27015

To open the menu say !sm_tf2_wearables then select a hat.

Not sure if it works, but I thought I'd share.

This thread (http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=98651) contains a similar (if not the same) plugin. I say we petition Shamus to add this to the d20 servers. :smalltongue:

Jibar
2009-08-14, 02:47 AM
So, let me get this straight. I go to sleep and wake up to find that I still won't get a hat, now people will be rubbing their medals in my face and there was not a damn thing I could do about this?
Oh what next huh? Valve is going to give every player on every server I join everything, except for me?

Oh yeah, that reminds me.

Prepare to gaze upon the face...of fear.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/6927/formufaroo.png

...I guess that makes up for it.

Kinda.

Edit: Having played for a bit,
1. I like the new glowing win weapons.
2. I really like the Sandman update.

MoelVermillion
2009-08-14, 02:49 AM
So I need to ask does this mumbo-jumbo about the spy not taking on-hit effects block you catching on fire?

Also I'm probably wrong but it seems like they nerfed the FaN which is a shame seeing as it was already apparently the weaker option.

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-08-14, 06:38 AM
Pyro stealth nerf?

shadow_archmagi
2009-08-14, 06:46 AM
So I need to ask does this mumbo-jumbo about the spy not taking on-hit effects block you catching on fire?

Also I'm probably wrong but it seems like they nerfed the FaN which is a shame seeing as it was already apparently the weaker option.

The fact that you can instantly deal 200 damage to my heavy and knock him across the battlefield means a moderately skilled FaN scout has more "surprise screw you" power than the soldier.

potatocubed
2009-08-14, 07:19 AM
Pyro stealth nerf?

There's a rumour going around that the ignition range on the flamethrower has been chopped down to half the length of the flame jet. People who play pyro don't like this. People who get set on fire a lot think it's wonderful. It may turn out to be completely untrue - I haven't had a chance to test it yet on account of being at work.

There's also a rumour going around that the changes in Cloak and Dagger and Dead Ringer durations and recharges are a bug caused by someone who didn't know the difference between 180% and +180%.

Dumbledore lives
2009-08-14, 08:05 AM
What does everyone think of the new maps? I like koth nucleus and sawmill capture the flag, but am unsure about Ravine and Viaduct, and haven't played on sawmill koth. Overall they seem to be pretty good though.

Nano
2009-08-14, 08:43 AM
Sawmill KotH opened my eyes to the wonders of the compression blast.

Specifically, blowing people into sawblades. Got several kills that way. (Sorta - Didn't count for points. Mrglgmgmgm.)

Ziren
2009-08-14, 09:16 AM
I don't like Viaduct for now, but that's mostly because people on that map seem to forget everything they ever learned about tactics. Nucleus and Sawmill work surprisingly well in that regard, but that's probably because they have been around longer.

Phase
2009-08-14, 09:16 AM
Valve need to return full flame length to my beloved pyro. I don't think I can completely relearn that class at this late juncture...

Mc. Lovin'
2009-08-14, 09:34 AM
How are the new losing animations? I loved chasing down people as they fled from my mighty auto crit weapons in humiliation ...

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-08-14, 09:42 AM
I love the scout loosing animation. Hilarious.

Ziren
2009-08-14, 11:04 AM
Well, I like the soldiers running (or rather waddling) animation the best.
Crouching is a tie between scout and the spies "Picard facepalm".
Standing still goes clearly to thumbsucking scout.

Jibar
2009-08-14, 11:14 AM
Next time I win, I wanna round up all the losers, line them up against the wall and go nuts with any automatic weapon.
I'm sure there are worse things you could do.

Kyouhen
2009-08-14, 11:15 AM
So, let me get this straight. I go to sleep and wake up to find that I still won't get a hat, now people will be rubbing their medals in my face and there was not a damn thing I could do about this?
Oh what next huh? Valve is going to give every player on every server I join everything, except for me?

No, they'll give everything to every player on a server just before you join and just after you leave.

And I just noticed something about the scout's new sippy hat. Those are Bonk!s in there. There's no way that can be healthy. :smalleek:

Player_Zero
2009-08-14, 11:20 AM

Nya-ha. Should've stayed up until 3AM refreshing videogame news pages like I do.

Jibar
2009-08-14, 11:25 AM
Nya-ha. Should've stayed up until 3AM refreshing videogame news pages like I do.

I refuse to give in to insomnia yet dammit.
So, I assume your medal is going to go in the new Misc slot. If it's a Soldier exclusive, then there is going to be stuff for the other classes as well.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-14, 11:30 AM
Sawmill CTF is excellent. I spent a great deal of time as Pyro there, and it doesn't feel nerfed. The class, that is.

I've only tried Sawmill koth, but that's decent. Amusingly, in overtime (which I imagine would be fairly common) instead of saying it once, the Announcer just repeats it over and over again. Sure as hell motivated me to stop overtiming and get back to timing.

wojonatior
2009-08-14, 11:32 AM
For some reason i am starting to hate valve more and more every day. First the hats in general, then L4D2, then more hats I cant have, then nerfs to things that shouldn't be nerfed (one of which is not the Fan), and now this medal shenanigans. Don't forget the part where Ep:3 isn't out yet!

The Linker
2009-08-14, 11:35 AM
Amusingly, in overtime (which I imagine would be fairly common) instead of saying it once, the Announcer just repeats it over and over again. Sure as hell motivated me to stop overtiming and get back to timing.

Yeah, I think overtime is bugged a bit in KotH. Not only does the Announcer keep saying it over and over (and as she does that, the timers seem to flash with the same timing) but the cap remainder fades very slowly -- it's generally supposed to disappear much faster in overtime. Of course, that could just be a feature of KotH.

Still, it was pretty funny when everyone on the alltalk-enabled server I was on started mimicking her. :smallbiggrin:

wojonatior
2009-08-14, 11:37 AM
I think it is a new feature, and I don't think the repeated overtime is a glitch.

The Linker
2009-08-14, 11:41 AM
I think it is a new feature, and I don't think the repeated overtime is a glitch.

No waaaaaay. Like I said, the timer flashes in, um, timing, which certainly doesn't look proper. And she doesn't repeat it with a constant beat. "Overtime!....OvertiOverOvertime! Overtime!.............Overtime!" Glitch, I say!

Any further arguments must be settled with fisticuffs. AT DAWN.

Ghastly Epigram
2009-08-14, 11:41 AM
I've been playing Pyro a lot since the update came out, and I cannot say I've noticed this supposed "stealth nerf" so colour me skeptical. But I'll bear it in mind tomorrow: maybe I'm just unobservant.

The new maps seem pretty good. Offblast is a fun Arena map, though it is quite Pyro friendly (But I like Pyros, so nyah). It's a bit different from the other Arena maps, but still balanced enough to be fun and give all the classes a chance to shine (Except maybe Snipers :smalltongue:). King of the Hill is a fun gametype, but of course chaotic (And it hurts my FPS...stupid old pretty Viaduct and its billions of people on screen at once). Somehow there seems to be even less teamwork and tactics than usual! I didn't think it was possible! :smallwink: Maybe once people get used to it though (Yeah right). I've not tried Yukon or CTF Sawmill yet, but I do love me some Sawmill, so I am hoping that it works well as CTF.

Yay for Sandman changes. I do love me some Sandman. And the new indicator for crit effects is badass. Love it. I've not seen any of the new hats in game yet, but they all look cool. The Demoman and Heavy's in particular are very nice, though the Tyrant's Helm is the one I want the most. And camera beard. CAMERA BEARD!

The best part of the update is clearly the humiliation animations though. Couldn't stop laughing the first time my Pyro went for a jog.

(Incidentally, can anyone confirm Cloak and Dagger recharges faster? It's already my main watch, so if it's true I'm definitely a happy camper. And those unannounced Dead Ringer and sticky jump changes are insane.)

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-14, 11:47 AM
I died just before my first loss, so I got to follow a Medic running around screaming. Now I WANT to be alive to be slaughtered.

AlterForm
2009-08-14, 12:07 PM
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9632/125023964510.jpg

Poor Announcer :smallwink:

Ghastly Epigram
2009-08-14, 12:21 PM
Guys, what time is it?

Rutskarn
2009-08-14, 12:25 PM
It's OVERTIME OVERTIME OVERTIME OVERTIME OVERTIME OVERTIME OVERTIME

Phase
2009-08-14, 12:33 PM
Guys, what time is it?

http://media.steampowered.com/steamcommunity/public/images/avatars/b0/b06db26b73c9c9a540c025a1289e3190b4118fba_medium.jp g "Coward Killing Time!"

http://media.steampowered.com/steamcommunity/public/images/avatars/9c/9cc5c77d13af4362f4442f6e826456a55432bff8_medium.jp g "Time to get a job, you worthless pile of woman!"

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-14, 12:38 PM
Guys, what time is it?

IT'S VALENTIMES!

Guys, what time is it?

IT'S VALENTIMES!

What we gonna get?

SEVERAL BOYS!

Ziren
2009-08-14, 12:54 PM
Bah, I still like my "STOP! Overtime!". (You) can't touch this CP.

wojonatior
2009-08-14, 01:19 PM
Nice ziren.

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-08-14, 02:22 PM
http://media.steampowered.com/steamcommunity/public/images/avatars/b0/b06db26b73c9c9a540c025a1289e3190b4118fba_medium.jp g "Coward Killing Time!"

http://media.steampowered.com/steamcommunity/public/images/avatars/9c/9cc5c77d13af4362f4442f6e826456a55432bff8_medium.jp g "Time to get a job, you worthless pile of woman!"

http://media.steampowered.com/steamcommunity/public/images/avatars/b0/b06db26b73c9c9a540c025a1289e3190b4118fba_medium.jp g Is good time to run!"

Player_Zero
2009-08-14, 03:15 PM
Medals are assigned. You can equip your level 100 Gentle Manne's medal to the soldier now. Unless you're a filthy serf without one.

potatocubed
2009-08-14, 03:16 PM
I've been playing Pyro a lot since the update came out, and I cannot say I've noticed this supposed "stealth nerf" so colour me skeptical. But I'll bear it in mind tomorrow: maybe I'm just unobservant.

I was playing pyro just now and it felt like I had to be right up someone's nose before I could set them on fire. =/

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-14, 03:27 PM
Medals are assigned. You can equip your level 100 Gentle Manne's medal to the soldier now. Unless you're a filthy European without one.

Change that one word and you have a Valve press release.

And I've always felt that the ignition area is a bit arbitrary. It seems like the same type of arbitrary, though.

chiasaur11
2009-08-14, 03:30 PM
Bizarre and strange. Buffed CD, nerfed DR, huge sticky jumps. Weird. The sticky jump, at least, is almost certainly a glitch.

On another note, I've started playing Minerva. I have a much greater respect for the Combine now.

Yeah.

In Minerva, on hard, those guys actually feel smart.

On the downside:

While my computer was being sent in for repairs:

Medals were given
Time Gentlemen, please was on sale for 2.50

This will only get worse, mark my words.

Player_Zero
2009-08-14, 03:35 PM
Anyone know how to make google list the pages in /classless/hidden/ ?

Ziren
2009-08-14, 03:38 PM
Why do I always, when I play Viaduct, end up to be on the team that seems to think that we can win a round with only spies, snipers and scouts? And they don't change anything about it, even when I point out that it doesn't work.

This is worse than arena_badlands.

Edit: Heck, I'd go so far as to say that this is worse than 2Fort (not the map itself, just the general situation there).

Player_Zero
2009-08-14, 03:42 PM
There is a scout epidemic.

Though, it is pretty funny killing scouts with one rocket.

Oh, and any luck on the D20 servers?

TheLogman
2009-08-14, 04:02 PM
The Steam Forums is very very convinced that a Soldier Update is coming out tonight? Tomorrow? Something like that? It's kinda confusing.

I'm pretty sure that isn't going to happen, given that we've already had an update.

Also, some guy in a server I was in just got his second medic army hat.

Why no Trading System?!

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-14, 04:09 PM
Why no Trading System?!

This. I'm grateful for the update, since it's made a lot of improvements, but this is the most noticeable omission from everything ever. Not to mention that having every item available (although anyone who does is the luckiest git in the entire world) leaves you four spaces for things to trade. I'm assuming that the medal takes up an inventory space?

KBF
2009-08-14, 04:11 PM
Why no Trading System?!

I think that's what the medals and hats and ect are for. There just isn't enough reason for a trading system yet.

Jibar
2009-08-14, 04:31 PM
I think that's what the medals and hats and ect are for. There just isn't enough reason for a trading system yet.

All the duplicates aren't then?
There's plenty of stuff to trade right now, we can't wait until we have too much stuff to start.

wojonatior
2009-08-14, 04:50 PM
Valve is on my "I am very confused and hurt at what you did." list.

TheLogman
2009-08-14, 06:12 PM
The medals aren't even all that great Woj, they're nice to have, but they don't look anything special.

I imagine that the majority of these medals are going to be given away for special reasons, like to mapmakers that get their maps added to the game, or beta tests, people who win tournaments, contests, or just get lucky like some of us did.

They're nice and a little distinguishing, but nothing to get upset over.

The Pyro nerf is a little annoying, but the boost to demoman flight with stickies has made juggling ubers really really fun.

Plus, I was still able to do better than I've ever done as Pyro today, even with the nerf.

I don't even really care about the scout stuff, I don't play the class, and I kill them as I see them. Nothing seems to have changed there.

Hell, if medals become tradable, I would probably trade one to a forumite that really wanted one for a hat of some sort or something. If anyone wanted one that bad.

KBF
2009-08-14, 06:12 PM
Valve is on my "I am very confused and hurt at what you did." list.

Only because you do not see the glory in more of the same for LFD2 and the excitement that hats and medals bring.

Valve continues to be one of my favorite game companies. I don't have a list, though.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-14, 06:13 PM
Hey guys, quick question; what type of pants does the Scout wear? I plan to go as one for Halloween, and I can't tell what type of pants he wears.

Arbitrarity
2009-08-14, 07:57 PM
I was playing pyro just now and it felt like I had to be right up someone's nose before I could set them on fire. =/

Just tested it on a personal server. No change, you start doing damage, they get ignited. Might have changed the code in relation to the way latency works, though, since I had 0 ping.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-08-14, 08:13 PM
Fixed a bug with cloak meter regen and drain
The "buff" of the C&D and the "nerf" of the DR are bugs.

However:

Fixed Spies not being able to go invis while reloading
This has actually gotten me killed several times in a very specific scenario. So I'm happy with the update.

The medals aren't even all that great Woj, they're nice to have, but they don't look anything special.

I imagine that the majority of these medals are going to be given away for special reasons, like to mapmakers that get their maps added to the game, or beta tests, people who win tournaments, contests, or just get lucky like some of us did.

They're nice and a little distinguishing, but nothing to get upset over.
Actually, they're probably class-themed accessories. So a Spy might get a smoking pipe or something.

Moreover, there's no telling if they'll make accessories random like the way hats are. So people might still get their medals.

The Pyro nerf is a little annoying, but the boost to demoman flight with stickies has made juggling ubers really really fun.

Plus, I was still able to do better than I've ever done as Pyro today, even with the nerf.
The Pyro nerf is an unconfirmed rumor. The post pretty much said as much. People aren't entirely convinced.

Also, like the DR and CD bugs, the Demoman "boost" is also fixed by the new mini-update.

Hell, if medals become tradable, I would probably trade one to a forumite that really wanted one for a hat of some sort or something. If anyone wanted one that bad.
I'll trade either my Medic's Picklehauber or the medal for a Fedora.

shadow_archmagi
2009-08-14, 08:55 PM
THIS JUST IN:

I still hate the FaN.

"Oh, why hello there, mr. pyro. I realize your entire class is based around being able to stand near enemies, which is why we've decided a class that was already an enormous pain for you is now able to completely deflect your charge."

Archangel Yuki
2009-08-14, 08:58 PM
It's OVERTIME OVERTIME OVERTIME OVERTIME OVERTIME OVERTIME OVERTIME

Fixed Announcer overtime bug on KOTH servers using mp_timelimit

Due to many requests, added server ConVar "tf_overtime_nag". When set to 1, it keeps the broken announcer behavior.

I love Valve.

TheLogman
2009-08-14, 09:14 PM
We need to find a new homebase or something. Because I'm getting tired of playing in pub servers.

There are a few pretty good communities out there, but I have yet to find any of them.

That, and not having a microphone is getting a little annoying. It was like a fresh and new, totally awesome discovery. No, I didn't talk much, but every once and a while you want to say something.

And so I am stuck with just typing until I get my laptop back. Wouldn't be so bad if this wasn't the perfect week for TF2

Archangel Yuki
2009-08-14, 09:25 PM
We need to find a new homebase or something. Because I'm getting tired of playing in pub servers.

There are a few pretty good communities out there, but I have yet to find any of them.

That, and not having a microphone is getting a little annoying. It was like a fresh and new, totally awesome discovery. No, I didn't talk much, but every once and a while you want to say something.

And so I am stuck with just typing until I get my laptop back. Wouldn't be so bad if this wasn't the perfect week for TF2

Yeah, I agree completely. But where?

LurkerInPlayground
2009-08-14, 09:27 PM
Just have Shamus password the servers.

It makes the server "pseudo-public."

Player_Zero
2009-08-14, 09:27 PM
The D20 servers will probably be back up eventually.

Fawkes
2009-08-14, 09:28 PM
Yeah, I agree completely. But where?

Does anyone have the Icewind IPs?

In other news, I just bought the Half Life 2 Complete Pack for 10 bucks.

And also Deus Ex.

TheLogman
2009-08-14, 09:29 PM
Lurker, when I said pub I just meant not with Giant itp guys. Because the d20 servers have been down.

And that's good to know Zero. I guess I don't have much right to complain though, it's not like I'm paying for/maintaining the servers.

wojonatior
2009-08-14, 10:26 PM
well the D20 should be back up. And i am more annoyed at the whole scheme of valve annoyances.

Kyouhen
2009-08-15, 12:06 AM
Fixed Announcer overtime bug on KOTH servers using mp_timelimit

Due to many requests, added server ConVar "tf_overtime_nag". When set to 1, it keeps the broken announcer behavior.

I love Valve.

It's not a glitch, it's a feature!

Seriously though, Valve gets massive points for this.

Arbitrarity
2009-08-15, 12:08 AM
They lose points for breaking my RJ's. Srsly, yesterday you could jump to badlands spire. Not now. :smallfrown:
Fix please!

Fawkes
2009-08-15, 01:08 AM
Man, my Half-Life 2 pack will just barely fit on my computer. I don't hink I'll have enough space for Minerva and R&D.

I really need to upgrade my laptop. Maybe one of those 320-GB hard drives with 3 GB/sec transfer rate.

Maybe update my graphics card while I'm at it.

Anyone have any tips? My laptop is a Dell Inspiron E1505, if that makes a difference.

Ziren
2009-08-15, 05:15 AM
Guess who's not a hatless commoner anymore. Hint: It's me.

I laugh at all you medalbearing hatless proletarians.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-15, 05:24 AM

Your vagueness regarding which hat forces me to conclude that you got the football helmet.

Ziren
2009-08-15, 06:41 AM
Your vagueness regarding which hat forces me to conclude that you got the football helmet.

I have to inform you that you are wrong. In fact, it is the high in demand pyro beanie. A shame that Pyro is the application in which I am least proficient in, isn't it?

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-15, 07:53 AM
I have to inform you that you are wrong. In fact, it is the high in demand pyro beanie. A shame that Pyro is the application in which I am least proficient in, isn't it?

Aw well. I had a 1 in 27 chance of getting it right. And yeah, that is a pity. I've put enough time into each class that I could be persuaded to practice more with it should I get a hat for it.

potatocubed
2009-08-15, 08:43 AM
So, not only am I still a hatless pleb, while out and about this morning I came yea close to being run over by a van in the service of 'World of Hats, Oxford'.

%$£&. :smallannoyed:

Kyouhen
2009-08-15, 08:52 AM
So, not only am I still a hatless pleb, while out and about this morning I came yea close to being run over by a van in the service of 'World of Hats, Oxford'.

Wow. Valve's really going out of their way to mock those of us without decorative objects for placement upon one's head aren't they? :smalleek:

Jibar
2009-08-15, 11:19 AM

You, sir, have received have an Apology Internets, for Awesome Misfortune.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-08-15, 11:28 AM

I have both the Medic hat and the Medal.

My only regret is that I cannot wear them both at the same time.

TheLogman
2009-08-15, 11:30 AM
Had a great time playing Dodgeball today.

I'm getting pretty good with the airblast, and Dodgeball is always really laid back and friendly.

Kyouhen
2009-08-15, 12:15 PM
So, finally finished getting Little Rocket Man. It actually wasn't horribly difficult. Almost lost horribly twice though.

The first time was shortly after the first acid antlion. You go down into that little hole to come up on the other side of a fence. Me, being stupid, forgot about that and thought the hole was a goody hole and jumped in without the gnome. Turns out you can't get back out of there either. With a bit of long-distance pulling through the fences I was able to wiggle the gnome back near the edge of the hole, then managed to cram enough barrels in the hole that I could just barely grab him.

The second time was when you get the car. I left the gnome with Alyx so I wouldn't have to drag it around with me. Turns out the door you open when you get the car closes shortly after Alyx walks through it. Not only that, but there's an invisible wall there to make sure you can't get back through while it's open. Fortunately when I left the gnome I thought it would save time to leave it near the door. Still took a good 6-7 tries to move fast enough to grab him though.

The first half of the helicopter chase wasn't that hard. I died a few times at first trying to figure out a strategy for it, but found one that got me through pretty easily. I'd jump out of the car, grab the gnome, chuck it as far as I could and jump back in the car just as the helicopter starts shooting. The car generally blocks most of the shots, so I got to the U-turn with most of my health. Of course it was at that point I forgot where I was supposed to go (and didn't want to throw the gnome somewhere I couldn't get him) so I started dying alot.

TheLogman
2009-08-15, 01:19 PM
Heh, I was doing Little Rocket Man, and guess what?

I left the Gnome in both places and had to restart both times. >.>

I might go back and try it later today.

EDIT: I went back, and realized that I was trying to get it with Developer Commenary enabled, which I'm pretty sure doesn't work.

Ah well, I guess I'll do the One Bullet Achievement in Half Life 2 Episode 1 first, I haven't played that since before I got my new video card and RAM, like a year ago, and I don't remember much of that game anyway.

Then I'll go back and do Episode 2's nasty achievement.

EDIT: Ah, just realized that because I have the Pc version, I don't actually have the Episode 1 achievements available for unlock.

I think I shall play through it anyway.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-15, 01:48 PM
EDIT: Ah, just realized that because I have the Pc version, I don't actually have the Episode 1 achievements available for unlock.

I think I shall play through it anyway.

I have the PC version and I've done the achievement anyway. The only bit that's slightly difficult is the escort mission at the end, and that's because I think I was doing it gravity gun only. I had to cheat and use the crossbow for that bit, and a lot of the people died.

Also; Valve? I've been good. I haven't spawncamped or joined Sniper when there's already 7 or put up pornographic sprays or played music over the mic or called anyone anything that could possibly be censored by the forum. Could I have a hat now? Please?

Kyouhen
2009-08-15, 01:54 PM
I have the PC version and I've done the achievement anyway. The only bit that's slightly difficult is the escort mission at the end, and that's because I think I was doing it gravity gun only. I had to cheat and use the crossbow for that bit, and a lot of the people died.

Also; Valve? I've been good. I haven't spawncamped or joined Sniper when there's already 7 or put up pornographic sprays or played music over the mic or called anyone anything that could possibly be censored by the forum. Could I have a hat now? Please?

First you must answer a question. Have you ever shot/flamed/exploded a friendly Medic to make sure they weren't a Spy? If so you get no hats. Seriously, Medics have enough to worry about without their own team shooting at them all day. :smallannoyed:

Rutskarn
2009-08-15, 01:57 PM
First you must answer a question. Have you ever shot/flamed/exploded a friendly Medic to make sure they weren't a Spy? If so you get no hats. Seriously, Medics have enough to worry about without their own team shooting at them all day. :smallannoyed:

Waaat. Quite a few spies disguise as medic, y'know.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-15, 02:00 PM

For the first couple of weeks no, because I'd heard that Spies didn't have an Ubercharge meter as a Medic and regarded all Medics as innocent. Then I heard that they did now, and so now everyone gets the same spy check treatment. Unless they're healing or firing. That's just silly.

EDIT: Also, I spend most of my time as Medic and it doesn't bother me squat. Better they're thinking.

Fawkes
2009-08-15, 02:35 PM
Copied from a post (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10917535#post10917535) I just put up on the Steam forums:

When Valve first announced they were adding hats into the game, I was pretty excited. It looked like a fun way to liven up the game. When the update finally went up, I was ore than a little disappointed. No one had any hats. Even now, months later, after the number of possible hats has been tripled, everyone is still running around in their default headgear. Since the classless update went up, I have only seen one person wearing one of the new hats. Me and over 3/4 of my friends list are still hatless.

Now, before you start telling my to stop complaining about how poor and Irish I am, hear me out.

I don't care whether I have any hats.

Now don't get me wrong, if I find a hat, I'll wear it. If Robin Walker sent me an email and offered to give me a bunch of free hats, I'd say 'sure, hand 'em over". But when the trading system comes out, I'd probably give all my hats to my poor, Irish friends.

Because I don't want the hats for myself. I want everyone else to have hats.

I can't even see the hat I'm wearing unless I taunt or lose a match. And what I really want is to see the hats. The Heavy's Tuque, the Soldier's Pot, the Camerabeard... these are hilarious. I want to see them in action.

The current drop rates are just too low to fully appreciate the work Valve put in to making these hats. If it were an option, I'd trade my ability to ever find hats for an increase in the drop rates for everyone else.

Come on Valve. You clearly worked hard on these hats. They're great. Let us at least see them. Put out a wallpaper with all the classes wearing their new hats or something, I don't know.

And you lucky few who have picked up the new hats: Wear them proudly. Show them off. Take a screenshot. Let the world see the majesty of your fine headgear. Because in the end, isn't that what being a Gentle Manne of Leisure is all about?

Fawkes
2009-08-15, 03:09 PM
Everyone on the internet is ignoring me because I am poor and Irish.

Jibar
2009-08-15, 03:24 PM
I for one was entertaining family.
With my Wii.

Anyway, while I'd like to say that I would make the same sacrifice... nooo, I'd like them to up the drop rate aaand give me the hats. :smallbiggrin:
A fancy Fedora would be lovely please.

potatocubed
2009-08-15, 03:30 PM

No, you made the mistake of making an erudite, thoughtful post. Try spicing it up with some spelling mistaks, a bit of profanity, and some more lolfag.

That should attract attention.

Nano
2009-08-15, 03:31 PM
I wish I could exchange my rather tame soldier hat for the pot helm or the tyrant's helm. It'd be lovely.

Ziren
2009-08-15, 03:44 PM

Well, at the moment hats are a collector's item to brag about. Not that I'd mind if they were more common (quite the contrary actually), but to a lot of people the appeal seems to come more from the rarity than from the stylishness. I call it the "I got something that you don't have and I won't let you play with it"-behaviour. Or IGSTYDHAIWLYPWI-behaviour for short.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-08-15, 03:48 PM
No, you made the mistake of making an erudite, thoughtful post. Try spicing it up with some spelling mistaks, a bit of profanity, and some more lolfag.

That should attract attention.
lol
ur mom

Worira
2009-08-15, 04:35 PM
lol
ur mom

no
ur face

KBF
2009-08-15, 04:36 PM
no
ur face

stfunoob stop spamming

Player_Zero
2009-08-15, 04:49 PM
Is there something wrong with rocketjumping with this patch or is it just me?

Mc. Lovin'
2009-08-15, 04:51 PM
It's not just you, they mucked it up ...

TheLogman
2009-08-15, 04:53 PM
I had heard that the distance was nerfed or something, but I didn't notice it when I was playing soldier today.

Player_Zero
2009-08-15, 05:28 PM
Haven't played half as much now that the D20 servers are offline. I liked how you could play a friendly six-a-side with regulars... Oh well...

Kyouhen
2009-08-15, 05:45 PM
So, I just finished playing through Minerva. I can see why Valve decided to hire that guy. Wow. Given the room hard-mode Combine can pull some pretty painful strategies. I'm starting to worry about what I'll have to deal with in Episode 3.

TheLogman
2009-08-15, 06:55 PM
I played it and got about half way through, I didn't feel like playing through any more, and then my computer got wiped, didn't feel like redownloading it at the time.

It was a while ago, I think I'll redownload it and play through it again.

Dogmantra
2009-08-15, 07:48 PM
I liked how you could play a friendly six-a-side with regulars... Oh well...

No match with you in is ever friendly... Unless "Domination" means something else... :smalltongue:

Player_Zero
2009-08-15, 08:38 PM
Are you coming on to me?

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-15, 08:51 PM
Hey guys, quick question; what type of pants does the Scout wear? I plan to go as one for Halloween, and I can't tell what type of pants he wears.

I don't think I got an answer for this, and if I did, I missed it through the "I AM POOR AND IRISH" and "I am a Gentle Manne". Because I also am poor and Irish, with no hope of being unpoor and unIrish.

Dogmantra
2009-08-15, 09:04 PM
Are you coming on to me?

You're the one who keeps initiating these "Dominations"

TheLogman
2009-08-15, 09:07 PM
Well, depends on how accurate you want to be.

In actuality, the Scout seems to wear black cargos with no pockets, they're roomy, good for running, and they puff out a little. They're tucked into his Baseball socks.

If you want to look your best, I would recommend black cargos or jeans, no pockets if you can, with the hem as little obvious as possible, and a good amount of room. One site recommended "mom jeans", and they fit the character, but the cosplayer was indeed female and I'm not entirely sure what mom jeans are.

A number of cosplayers have gone with shorts, khakis, and all number of other things, but black pants are the best fit.

EDIT: I found one of my parent's labcoats in my closet. They don't seem to want it, and I AM a fan of the medic. The medigun is a bitch to make though, and the other weapons are just that, dangerous weapons you can't take to a con or anything.

Then again, I am always saying I'm going to cosplay and then never going through with it. Part of the problem is that I have red hair, and I don't like to dye it, so my options for realistic cosplay are limited.

The other part of the problem is that I don't have anywhere to go with my cosplay, and I'm not very motivated.

Rutskarn
2009-08-15, 09:12 PM

In his defense, you're clearly asking for it.

Dogmantra
2009-08-15, 10:09 PM
In his defense, you're clearly asking for it.

I resent that accusation! I was merely getting my times played to correspond with my total points so that it made a nice sort of sweeping increase as you looked up the list on both sides. I was jumped by him!

KBF
2009-08-15, 10:18 PM

I've... I've dominated Zero before.

I will never live it down, especially now. Even if nobody knows or cares, I will.
And I will weep.

TheLogman
2009-08-15, 10:38 PM
I think Sawmill may be my favorite map right now. It's interesting, it's fun, I can play it on a whole slew of modes. It's a good map.

The only things that could make Sawmill any better was if there was a Payload version of Sawmill. That would be awesome.

I may be making a Payload version of Sawmill within the next few weeks.

Like most my projects, it may just fail, but we'll see...we'll see...

My only complaint is that the Sawblades can kill ubered people, it sliced me in half when I was charging a pyro and we were about to take out a sentry on one of the elevated platforms inside the place.

But it's still a great map.

Also, because I just may go through with this crazy Pl_Sawmill idea, anyone have any tips for Payload maps? I know I instinctively hate Hoodoo, but I'm not sure why. What are great things to see in payload maps?

Ideas:

-Buildings
-Corners
-Enclosed and also not enclosed spaces?
-The end has to be really open so defenses can get creative.

EDIT: That Swamp-Type contest is coming to a close, right? If any of those were payload maps I might just check out those instead. Or at the very least steal the props they provided for the contest. Some of those would work well with the Sawmill props.

Jibar
2009-08-16, 01:53 AM
Then again, I am always saying I'm going to cosplay and then never going through with it. Part of the problem is that I have red hair, and I don't like to dye it, so my options for realistic cosplay are limited.

I know your pain.

By the by, what is wong with the D20 servers right now?
Everyone seems to be noting how not there they are.

Phase
2009-08-16, 02:12 AM
By the by, what is wong with the D20 servers right now?
Everyone seems to be noting how not there they are.

They're gone. No one knows where they have gone.

Some speculate that they've gone on to find greater pastures in a region of space-time with greater ping. Some postulate that they've been taken by the Illuminati to finish their master plan. Some even say they have moved on to the great beyond, and are slummin' it with Thoth, Set, and those guys.

I say they'll be back within a week, lazy blighters.

Ziren
2009-08-16, 02:38 AM
Well, depends on how accurate you want to be.

In actuality, the Scout seems to wear black cargos with no pockets, they're roomy, good for running, and they puff out a little. They're tucked into his Baseball socks.

If you want to look your best, I would recommend black cargos or jeans, no pockets if you can, with the hem as little obvious as possible, and a good amount of room. One site recommended "mom jeans", and they fit the character, but the cosplayer was indeed female and I'm not entirely sure what mom jeans are.

A number of cosplayers have gone with shorts, khakis, and all number of other things, but black pants are the best fit.

EDIT: I found one of my parent's labcoats in my closet. They don't seem to want it, and I AM a fan of the medic. The medigun is a bitch to make though, and the other weapons are just that, dangerous weapons you can't take to a con or anything.

The other part of the problem is that I don't have anywhere to go with my cosplay, and I'm not very motivated.

I've been thinking about a sniper costume with Jarate and the headband. Though it will take a while until there's an event at which I can wear that outfit.

Jibar
2009-08-16, 03:47 AM
I think me and Kyouhen scared off Wojo earlier.

I also am of the opinion that Pyros should always have jetpacks.
Always.

wojonatior
2009-08-16, 04:02 AM
That was fun, if not very broken, except for the part where they made sliding sappers the spy item!

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-16, 04:06 AM
Not sure that there's anything as entertaining as hiding out in the enemy intel room on 2Fort, emerging to sap the things of the one unlucky Engineer posted nearby and seeing him get increasingly paranoid. By the end, even I was rooting for him. And then, as with all conflicts, it was ended by an arrow killing me while I was completely invisible. Sigh.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-16, 05:18 AM
Playing on Xbox the other day.
Kept getting ambushed by an ubered Demoman.

That was fun.
Oh, and the only maps I could get in on were 2fort. Again.:smallsigh:

KBF
2009-08-16, 08:52 AM
Not sure that there's anything as entertaining as hiding out in the enemy intel room on 2Fort, emerging to sap the things of the one unlucky Engineer posted nearby and seeing him get increasingly paranoid. By the end, even I was rooting for him. And then, as with all conflicts, it was ended by an arrow killing me while I was completely invisible. Sigh.

I've seen something similar attempted yesterday on a 2fort variant where it was very dark and raining. It had a great atmosphere, and the hayroom was almost pitch black on one side, which made for fun spy shenanigans. Until I switched from soldier to pyro and just totally sweeped him out.

Man did that spy run.

potatocubed
2009-08-16, 11:04 AM
My favourite 2fort variant is 2fort_upsidedown. Which is exactly what it sounds like. :smalltongue:

Rutskarn
2009-08-16, 11:05 AM
I did manage to kill Djinn and Tonic with the huntsman, while he was cloaked as Spy.

Pretty funny.

Player_Zero
2009-08-16, 11:32 AM
So, you were firing at some other point and Djinn accidentally walked into your line of sight, huh.

Nano
2009-08-16, 11:35 AM
Didn't that happen once with me and you, Zero? Except at point blank, and right in the face?

Player_Zero
2009-08-16, 12:00 PM
I've done that to tons of people. You're fairly likely to get a headshot at point blank too.

Rutskarn
2009-08-16, 12:07 PM
So, you were firing at some other point and Djinn accidentally walked into your line of sight, huh.

That is exactly what happened, yes.

In my defense, it woulda been a headshot either way. That heavy was just askin' for it.

Player_Zero
2009-08-16, 12:16 PM
I think what was good was when I charged to full with the sniper rifle and shot around a corner where there was no one to shoot and hit Nano.

Rutskarn
2009-08-16, 12:28 PM
I think what was good was when I charged to full with the sniper rifle and shot around a corner where there was no one to shoot and hit Nano.

Flashback: Twenty Sided Servers. Undisclosed time.

Player_Zero charges his rifle, whips around corner, fires. Nothing.

Player_Zero charges his rifle, whips around corner, fires. Hits Nano.

Player_Zero
2009-08-16, 12:30 PM
I only did it once. You can't spam sniper rifling.

I suppose I was waiting for someone to shoot but then decided to go around the back so I fired off my shot.

Rutskarn
2009-08-16, 12:32 PM
I only did it once. You can't spam sniper rifling.

Oh, you can. It just takes patience.

KBF
2009-08-16, 12:49 PM
Augh. All this waiting for the d20 servers is maddening. Pubbing just isn't the same once you've been in a community. Makes me want to get some GitP servers.

...Or a Chocolate Hammer server. I think I want a server based around candy tools rather than one based around being stepped on, or the dice that hate me most. I'll have to look into that.

NeoVid
2009-08-16, 12:52 PM
Well, if everyone's looking for a server, I'll promote the Boontex server which you can favorite with tf.boontex.com since I've known them for a long time, and they desperately need more regular players.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-08-16, 12:54 PM
I did manage to kill Djinn and Tonic with the huntsman, while he was cloaked as Spy.

Pretty funny.

Pretty funny for you.

...alright, it was pretty funny. But not as funny as the time that, as a Medic, I leaped from the battlements of 2Fort to save a Heavy under fire, and randomly caught an arrow meant for said Heavy with my face the moment I hit the ground. It would have hit him in the chest, allowing me to save him...:smallfrown:

I think the arrow in question was fired by someone on GitP as well, but I can't remember who...

KBF
2009-08-16, 12:55 PM
Well, if everyone's looking for a server, I'll promote the Boontex server which you can favorite with tf.boontex.com since I've known them for a long time, and they desperately need more regular players.

That server is not only just about full, but my ping is nearly 200 on it. There has to be a way I could get everyone to move to a server I have 10 ping on that has better ping.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-16, 01:02 PM
I still fondly remember the time I jumped off the 2Fort battlements as a cloaked Spy and landed right in front of a Pyro. Didn't last long that time.

Kyouhen
2009-08-16, 01:07 PM
Remind me to do that sometime. Play as a Spy, stay cloaked, and stay near a Heavy for the sole purpose of taking arrows/sniper shots to the face for him. :smalltongue:

KBF
2009-08-16, 01:12 PM
Hey, I'm confused. Someone smarter than me help. If I go here (http://www.lowpings.net/?p=games&id=tf2) and buy a 100 tickrate 24 slot Pub for about 50 dollars, is.. Is that it? Then I have a server? I have to be missing something here, it even says 0.00 dollars monthly on the order menu...

Player_Zero
2009-08-16, 01:14 PM
This rocketjumping nerf is really getting on my tits. I'm failing jumps that would've been no problem before.

potatocubed
2009-08-16, 01:14 PM
Remind me to do that sometime. Play as a Spy, stay cloaked, and stay near a Heavy for the sole purpose of taking arrows/sniper shots to the face for him. :smalltongue:

That forcefield is a spy!

Dogmantra
2009-08-16, 01:15 PM

That reminds me of the time I took a crit rocket for a Kritzed heavy. Good times.

Archangel Yuki
2009-08-16, 02:01 PM
This rocketjumping nerf is really getting on my tits. I'm failing jumps that would've been no problem before.

This^10. It's completely silly. For those of you who dont know, the map designs were built with the rocketjump in mind. So this new Rj bug is really annoying and needless. I hate it. So much.

So I spam demo now.

TheLogman
2009-08-16, 02:02 PM
Well goodness, I took one look at the Hammer Program for the map making and wow, I'm not sure I can do anything with this. I have a ton more respect for map makers now.

How long did it take you to make that crazy big map Potato?

Also, I better get to work on this tutorial if I want to learn how to make maps before next year.

potatocubed
2009-08-16, 02:23 PM
It took almost exactly 20 hours, a lot of which was looking at Hammer and going 'WTF?' On the other hand, the basic system is pretty straightforward once you know what you're doing.

Useful links for mapmaking:

Valve's official SDK wiki. (http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Team_Fortress_2_Level_Creation)
Slightly outdated but still really helpful video tutorials (http://3kliksphilip.com/tutorials_sdk_full.html) - the 'your first map' one of these is particularly good.
TF2maps.net (http://www.tf2maps.net/) - they're a bit elitist (and they really don't like people who remake Valve maps) but if you scour their forums you can find all sorts of helpful info.

TheLogman
2009-08-16, 03:30 PM
Thank you very much Potato. I've gone from "Why are all these lines like this? What is this? I am so confused!"

To "I made a room with a box inside! And maybe some lighting and spawns too!"

Definitely getting the hand of this.

As for remaking a map, I don't know if I'm doing that. I guess I'm making a payload map with a lot of the same themes and objects as Sawmill, but I'm certainly not just taking sawmill and adding a payload track to it. That would be silly.

I have yet to get it all on paper or anything, but I know the BLU team will have to push the cart between a pair of sawblades (Not through, but just parallel to a pair of them), which could be awesome. Or Frustrating. We'll see.

shadow_archmagi
2009-08-16, 04:00 PM
Shadow does anything at all!

It's super effective!

Alterform has fainted!

The list of GitP people I've alienated via domination is actually so long it merits a list now.

Player_Zero
2009-08-16, 04:06 PM
Wait, what's your Steam ID?

potatocubed
2009-08-16, 04:17 PM
Thank you very much Potato. I've gone from "Why are all these lines like this? What is this? I am so confused!"

To "I made a room with a box inside! And maybe some lighting and spawns too!"

No problem. If you need any more help, drop me a line. Today I learned how to use visgroups to do something other than delete chunks of my level!

Hermit
2009-08-16, 05:15 PM
This^10. It's completely silly. For those of you who dont know, the map designs were built with the rocketjump in mind. So this new Rj bug is really annoying and needless. I hate it. So much.

So I spam demo now.

Glad I'm not the only one who's annoyed by this. Worst times is when I forget, and go to make a jump like I normally would, only to fail spectacularly and often die. Here's hoping FixPatch2 is incoming on Monday.

Worira
2009-08-16, 05:16 PM
It doesn't seem bugged to me. I think what it is is that rockets have had their velocity very slightly increased, which screws over the timing.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-16, 05:55 PM
Is Ubering a Demoman inherently dumb? I ask because I did it on 2Fort to clear out a troublesome sentry and I ended up being shouted at. Add in me dying with a full Uber and it led to someone else going Medic with the words 'so we can have a Medic who isn't stupid'.

Hermit
2009-08-16, 06:14 PM
It doesn't seem bugged to me. I think what it is is that rockets have had their velocity very slightly increased, which screws over the timing.

Might be part of it, but I'm sure the bug only crept in with the bugfix update that came out the day after the Classless Update.

Morrandir
2009-08-16, 06:15 PM
Ubered demos are fairly good at taking down sentry nests that have a long line of fire. Usually, pyros are better for the job, but if your uber's down 60% or so by the time they're in flamethrower range, a self-sacrificing engie can sometimes keep it alive.

And Kritzkreig + Demoman = Entire team is giblets.

Ziren
2009-08-16, 06:30 PM
Is Ubering a Demoman inherently dumb? I ask because I did it on 2Fort to clear out a troublesome sentry and I ended up being shouted at. Add in me dying with a full Uber and it led to someone else going Medic with the words 'so we can have a Medic who isn't stupid'.

If there are multiple sentries that are rather far apart but in bot in line of sight of a single point, demoman is by far the best über target. For a single sentry that can be reached by a pyro before the über the pyro is a better choice if the other team has no or only backburner pyros nearby (or pyros that have no idea that they can and should airblast a übered target that is going for a sentry).
Also, your only reaction towards people calling you a bad medic should be to tell them that they should switch to medic themselves.

AlterForm
2009-08-16, 06:39 PM
Shadow does anything at all!

It's super effective!

Alterform has fainted!

The list of GitP people I've alienated via domination is actually so long it merits a list now.

Hush, you. :smallannoyed:

Faulty
2009-08-16, 06:48 PM

Wait, what? D:

TheLogman
2009-08-16, 09:06 PM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUeacQQgur0) made me laugh until I cried.

Also, I have the basis of my map planned out now, after doing quite a bit of research on Sawmill and the best payload maps (I.E. Not Hoodoo).

I would show it off, but it's just an Ms paint drawing with a few scribbles on it right now.

It is, however, coming along!

Archangel Yuki
2009-08-16, 09:24 PM
Wait, what? D:

Go to badlands. From the bridge, trying jumping on top of the spire.
You will fail.
Horribly.

Go to Gravel Pit. Go to C. Try jumping from the entrance of B to the top level of C.
You will fail.
Horribly.

This is not right.

Player_Zero
2009-08-17, 12:54 AM
Okay, I'm on Hoodoo and on defence and I want to get up onto one of the platforms near the final point. I rocketjump.

I make this face.

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/9776/waplol.jpg

Faulty
2009-08-17, 01:53 AM
Is this a glitch or a legit change? :smallconfused: I haven't loaded up TF2 in a few weeks for various reasons.

Player_Zero
2009-08-17, 01:54 AM
Wasn't in the notes. But then, they don't mention anything in there. I want it to be a bug though.

Also, when I was stickyjumping I thought that was different, but that may just be my imagination as I don't demo much.

Faulty
2009-08-17, 01:56 AM
I'm gonna guess it's a bug. Valve has done WTF things, but stuff like this is generally unintetional. I hope so too, at least, as Soldier is tied with Spy for my fav class.

Are you more likely to gets hats now that there are more?

Jibar
2009-08-17, 02:05 AM
I think this sums up the new hat situation quite well. (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=nomnomnomtf2&annotation_id=annotation_505676&feature=iv#play/uploads/0/RVOLkVvSLNU0)

The Linker
2009-08-17, 02:13 AM
Ok, that entire video was pretty hilarious. :smallbiggrin:

potatocubed
2009-08-17, 03:56 AM
I suspect the rocketjump thing is a bug that appeared something like this:

1. Bug is introduced causing demoman to take more damage from his own bombs, thus causing him to fly further.

2. Bugfix is introduced, reducing self-damage.

3. Bugfix inadvertently catches rockets as well as stickybombs, soldier takes less damage from own rockets, rocketjumps shorter distances.

I think they've got the summer interns doing the patch coding. :smalltongue:

Jagos
2009-08-17, 05:21 AM
Weren't they fired about two months ago?

potatocubed
2009-08-17, 05:26 AM
Yeah, but the rocketjump didn't carry them far enough so they came back. :smalltongue:

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-17, 05:49 AM
If there are multiple sentries that are rather far apart but in bot in line of sight of a single point, demoman is by far the best über target. For a single sentry that can be reached by a pyro before the über the pyro is a better choice if the other team has no or only backburner pyros nearby (or pyros that have no idea that they can and should airblast a übered target that is going for a sentry).
Also, your only reaction towards people calling you a bad medic should be to tell them that they should switch to medic themselves.

That would be it. It was one sentry in the courtyard pointing towards the straight entrance to the intel. I don't remember seeing a Pyro, and it didn't take down the sentry, so who's to say.

Also, at least he backed up his insult with going medic so that wouldn't have worked. :smalltongue:

potatocubed
2009-08-17, 06:03 AM
Hey, I'm confused. Someone smarter than me help. If I go here (http://www.lowpings.net/?p=games&id=tf2) and buy a 100 tickrate 24 slot Pub for about 50 dollars, is.. Is that it? Then I have a server? I have to be missing something here, it even says 0.00 dollars monthly on the order menu...

Continuing my spate of posting (because the alternative is doing my job, plech yuck) I have been looking into this. The cost is monthly, and is considerably less if you go via gameservers.com. (~$30 per month for a 24-slot server.)

I am tempted, but I'm not sure I can spare another £20 per month. =/

Ziren
2009-08-17, 07:04 AM
Why is it that Natasha is always painful death icarnate when used against you but completely useless if you use it?

TheLogman
2009-08-17, 08:30 AM
Natasha only works on people that are 1. Running Towards You or 2. Running Away from You.

So, when fighting Heavies, don't run, especially the Natasha ones. And when you are Heavy, target anyone who's running, because if they're holding their ground, Natasha is bloody useless.

Ziren
2009-08-17, 09:24 AM
D20 servers are back, I'm currently sitting on Lawful. Anyone want to play?

Archangel Yuki
2009-08-17, 11:25 AM
Wasn't in the notes. But then, they don't mention anything in there. I want it to be a bug though.

Also, when I was stickyjumping I thought that was different, but that may just be my imagination as I don't demo much.

Also, warning for you and everyone else out there who mains Soldier like I enjoy doing: the change caused a huge glitch with rockets. If you are point blank, close enough to take self damage from your own rockets, when you fire them at an oppoent, they do no damage to your oppoent.

Video, with proof.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFcY3zPknrA&feature=channel_page

Player_Zero
2009-08-17, 11:27 AM
D20 servers are back, I'm currently sitting on Lawful. Anyone want to play?

Woot! .....

The Linker
2009-08-17, 11:31 AM
Also, warning for you and everyone else out there who mains Soldier like I enjoy doing: the change caused a huge glitch with rockets. If you are point blank, close enough to take self damage from your own rockets, when you fire them at an oppoent, they do no damage to your oppoent.

Video, with proof.

Well, given that little revelation, I think it's safe to say it's a bug. I was about to raise a theory as to the nerf on rocket jump height -- it almost looked like they eliminated the boost you get from crouch-rocket-jumping as opposed to normal rocket jumping. I haven't done anything close to rigorous testing (people were shooting at me! The point was being capped!), but I made a crouch rocket jump and a normal rocket jump that went about the same height.

Ziren
2009-08-17, 11:42 AM

Video, with proof.

I don't think that it has anything to do with damaging yourself, since I've killed at least three enemies today with a rocket that took the last bit of my health away.

Archangel Yuki
2009-08-17, 11:46 AM
I don't think that it has anything to do with damaging yourself, since I've killed at least three enemies today with a rocket that took the last bit of my health away.

P_Z made the comment that it seems about melee range, and with the glitch reducing splash area as well, i threw in that if your close enough to damage yourself your probably too close to deal any damage.

TheLogman
2009-08-17, 12:03 PM
I am getting pretty beast with pyro.

As Djinn may be able to tell you, I was getting a lot of kills today.

I'm getting good with the flare gun, to the point where I was Dominating this one scout with only the flare gun.

I'm also getting good with the AirBlast. I'm getting 2-3 Point-Blank Rocket Reflects (At melee range!) kills per round, and I can be depended to on occasion reflect an arrow, baseball, or demo grenade.

Also, I learned today against a Nemesis pyro who was just good enough to kill me by a close margin every time we met that flares can be reflected.

So that's interesting.

The Linker
2009-08-17, 12:08 PM
I reflected a baseball yesterday!

...It, uh, didn't hit anything. But it felt good.

*cough*