PDA

View Full Version : Isle of the Black Sorcerer IC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Firebeard
2009-11-11, 08:25 AM
“Land! Land off the port bow!” shouts the lookout in the crow’s nest. You turn to see a haze on the distant horizon. As you near, the haze becomes distinct – an island of jungle and mountain heaving out of the seas. It will be good to get off the boat and stretch your legs on dry land again. After three weeks at sea, you long for a place to put your feet that isn’t trying to move out from under you.

The ship pulls closer to the land mass and you can see a glowing blue light in the top tower of a castle on the cliffs. “Aye, that be the Black Sorcerer’s Isle alright,” says the Captain, walking up beside you. Are you and yer friends sure ye be wanting to go there? It’s a nasty place from all I’ve heard. Monsters and magic, beasts that’ll rip ye apart as soon as look at ye. Those are the rumors anyways. Me, all I know is that most sailors wouldn’t willingly come close that there island…not without a good reason. If’n yer friends at the Host Tower hadn’t been so generous with their gold, we wouldn’t be here either.”

“Har! Take in those lines and prepare the launch!” he yelled at his crew. Turning to you and your companions he said “I’ve got things to make ready before we can set you on that island. There are treacherous reefs about, so we’ll be putting you ashore by way of the launch boat.” That said, he stomped off to harangue some of the sailors.

You think back to that scene in the Host Tower of Luskan, where the mages called forth a band of adventurers who were willing and able to seek out a lost artifact on an island in the great sea. “It is a great relic of a lost age, the Master had said. It’s power and ability to corrupt is unrivaled by anything on this plane. “ The mages then went on to tell you the story of a man by the name of Martel, who had heard rumors over 100 years ago of a strong magic source on an island some distance off the Sword Coast. His expedition consisted of 3 ships of men – mages, warriors, and scholars – determined to seek out the source of power and make it his own. “

“The expedition was never heard from again,” the Master concluded. “But sailors talk of a an island in the sea, a dark place where magical beings, demons, and great beasts walk the land, led by a sorcerer in black robes that wields powers so great that anyone to cross his path is annihilated.” He paused. “It may only be a sailors’ tale, but there are others. Several expeditions have been sent looking for this ‘Isle of the Black Sorcerer’ but no one has returned with their wits intact. Some men have been found wandering the coast, babbling about this Black Isle and spouting nonsense, their wits turned to jelly. Others, catatonic but for the utterance of a single name – Martel.”

“We have noticed a strange emanence of evil and corruption from the region the island is purported to lie. We believe we can give you the means to go to this island, seek out the source of corruption, and destroy it if you can. Here is a map that we have pieced together from the various accounts of sailors and madmen alike. We can’t guarantee its accuracy, but what information we have is here. We can also give you an elixir that should be sufficient to either destroy this relic of corruption, or at least contain it for you to transport it back to us here for proper disposal.”

Looking down the map in your hands (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/playerMap1.png) you see the rough outlines of a largish island. The map has no sense of scale to it, but looking a the landmass in front of you, it seems awfully large. Perhaps a 2 or 3 day walk from end to end. There are some landmarks on the map, but the labels are written in no language you can fathom.

Turning the map over, you notice some scrawled lines of text on the back...

- The island is a confluence of magical ley lines and planar rifts. Magical beasts and outsiders from all planes can be found here.
- Beware the delta of the Western River. There the dead walk.
- Near the westernmost shore of the island lies an ancient ruin, possibly constructed by walking reptiles. It is abandoned and nothing of value lies within.
- Look to the east of the abandoned Temple of Set to find a small village. There, a man from the East wears a crimson robe of magic and claims to be the ruler of the island.

You and your companions glance at the island in front of you, wondering what fate, riches, and fame lies ahead...

You are approaching the island from the North. Where will you make landfall?

Fuzzies
2009-11-11, 09:46 AM
Wind sweeping through her brown hair and the salt spray moistening her cheeks, Jacelyn stared at the island looming in the distance. She could hardly contain her excitement, bobbing up and down on the balls of her feet every few minutes. This is going to be the best adventure yet!

She spun around to face her companions for this trip. "So, does anyone have any idea where we should start? My guess is the relic is in that castle up there, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way up the cliffs from this side. Perhaps we could circle the island and see what else is there? Or maybe the map holds some clues?"

Nox Lupus
2009-11-11, 11:01 AM
Solas approaches Jacelyn as she gazes giddily over over the waters.

"We can only hope, my friend. Who does have the map?" He says, turning to regard his other compatriots.

nighthawk07
2009-11-11, 11:17 AM
Daenir stares at the island, growing ever closer at each passing moment. His long hair blowing in sea breeze and bits of water spraying onto his leather jerkin as the ship hits some waves. Upon hearing Jacelyn's words he turns and replies "Circling around wouldn't be a bad idea"

brakisaurus
2009-11-11, 05:45 PM
Lorus walks up to the group, examining the map.

"As much as I'd like it to be a rapid operation, I don't think we'll be able to waltz in and out. Our first priority should be to establish a safe base of operations; let's look for the town by the temple that the note on the back talks about."

Nox Lupus
2009-11-11, 05:53 PM
Perhaps my brother in faith, or, you wizard," gesturing to Jacelyn "could divine some further information about the island, or any possible landing sites? Solas says with a smile, :smallsmile:.

brakisaurus
2009-11-11, 06:00 PM
"Unfortunately, my divining power is not quite what I wish it could be. The best I could do was try to ascertain the relative amount of danger we'd be in for the next hour or so, given a particular course of action."

Jade_Tarem
2009-11-11, 06:09 PM
Aranis finally joins in. "I favor seeking the town. The landing is not only nearby, but finding a place to rest or supply would be a good idea. Perhaps we should land in the northwest?"

Firebeard
2009-11-11, 09:02 PM
As you are speaking, the captain comes over to you. "Have ye decided where ye be wanting to be left ashore? Looking at that there map, I ain't going nowhere near the Northeast shore of the bay. Sinking ships is bad luck, no matter what funny language you write it in!"

He scowled at the map for a bit, and then continued. "If'n ye be wanting to circle the island before ye decide, that can be arranged. The winds and currents about this place are odd, but enough to be getting us around quickly enough. No more than 3 hours is my guess."

"And ye'll be wanting this." He turns and points to a small chest he had brought up on deck without you noticing. "The Masters told me to give it to ye. There be some w]ands in there to throw a signal into the air when you want us to come pick you up. I figure we got another 2 months' supply before we absolutely have to head back to Luskan. If you want to be picked up before then, use the signal wands. Else, ye'll have to find your own way back."

As you open the chest, you see a pile of small goods. Three thick wands with blue ends are labeled "Signal Sticks", and 4 smaller wands bear the labels "Cure Light Wounds". There are also some potions. 2 of Bull's Strength, 2 of Cat's Grace, and a murky brown liquid labeled "Rage." 2 scrolls of Featherfall (caster level 5) and 1 of Knock (caster level 5).

nighthawk07
2009-11-11, 09:03 PM
"What if the locals aren't friendly? I am not against the idea of seeking the village but we best be prepared for hostilities just in case."

brakisaurus
2009-11-11, 09:21 PM
"Friendly or not, it'd be best to figure that out as soon as possible. If they're hostile and we circle the island, it could give them time to set up a proper ambush."

Nox Lupus
2009-11-11, 09:30 PM
Shall we circle the island then, to get a better view of our choices? Solas says in a questioning tone, trying to find consensus amongst the group. "We can go through the gifts our patrons have provided us in the mean time."

Fuzzies
2009-11-11, 10:33 PM
"Ooh , scrolls!" Jacelyn chirped. It is clear that she is excited at the chance to cast some new spells, even is they are from scrolls and not her own spellbooks. "Drat! I can't learn these." She tosses the scrolls back into the chest with a pout.

Glaring at the island she says "I think we should look it over first, unless Lorus wants to try and divine our potential for danger is we stop at the village, or don't."

brakisaurus
2009-11-11, 11:32 PM
"How many of us can use these healing wands? We should divide them up as much as possible to ensure there's always one in the right hands when we need it."

Lorus takes out some slender sticks engraved with different aspects of sunrise, and begins praying.

Cast Omen of Peril with the intention of landing near and entering the village.

Jade_Tarem
2009-11-12, 12:50 AM
"I can." Aranis takes a cure wand, tucking it into his belt. "And while I'd prefer to get moving, we can examine the island, if that's what you want to do."

Firebeard
2009-11-12, 07:54 AM
@Lorus

Your mind's eye sees a small village, mostly wooden structures, with a few stone buildings. A sense of corruption lies over the place. Every door is a fanged mouth and the windows eyes full of hate.

Fuzzies
2009-11-12, 09:57 AM
Jacelyn also picks up a cure wand and examines it. "I think I can use this with a little study," she says. "Although I don't think I'd want to try it in the middle of a fight. Maybe for cleanup afterwards."

Looking at the potions she says "You meatier types might want to tuck those potions in your pouches before we go ashore. I have a feeling they will come in handy."

brakisaurus
2009-11-12, 01:03 PM
Lorus stands from his prayers, opening his eyes.

"The village is likely to hold much danger. I saw visions of hatred and corruption. As with all divinations, there is no certainty, but my gut feeling is that we'd find no warm welcome there.

He also tucks a wand of Cure Light Wounds and a Signal Stick into his belt.

Jade_Tarem
2009-11-12, 03:27 PM
Aranis takes a potion of Bull's Strength and the Rage potion, placing them in belt pouches. "The town might still be our best bet. It depends on the nature of the corrruption."

nighthawk07
2009-11-12, 06:21 PM
"Well either way the village probably has information to help us in obtaining what we came here for. Where there is civilization there is information."

Daenir takes out a potion of Cat's Grace from the chest and pockets it. He then picks up one of the larger wands labelled "Signal Sticks" and eyes it curiously. "I am unfamiliar with this item. What does it do?"

Fuzzies
2009-11-12, 06:44 PM
"If you want to land here instead of scouting out the island first, I guess I van be okay with that. As for the signal sticks, let me see one."

Taking the stick in her hand, Jacelyn focuses her magic sense upon it with her brow furrowed in concentration.

Spellcraft check to identify the wand's power. +2 if it is a Evocation effect
[roll0]

Firebeard
2009-11-12, 08:02 PM
@Jacelyn

There is a strong sense of Evocation magic from the stick. The spell is nothing you have ever seen before, but is similar to a Flare spell. You sense that the duration has been extended greatly. It might last 2 or 3 days, hovering in the air high above where it was cast.

Fuzzies
2009-11-12, 10:55 PM
"It appears to be a modified flare spell. One that flies high in the air above the caster and lingers for a time. Maybe a day or more. I would guess that they are intended to signal the good Captain to come ashore and pick us up." Jacelyn raised a questioning eyebrow at the Captain.

Firebeard
2009-11-13, 08:09 AM
"Aye. We are to be hanging out in the waters beyond the island, waiting for your signal to come pick you up when you are ready to be going back, or if'n you just want a safe haven to recuperate. But don't be losing em or you'll be walking home! We leave in 2 months, with or without you."

"Now, have you decided your course? To circle the island or be set ashore?"

Nox Lupus
2009-11-13, 11:44 AM
"I believe we should circle the island given the danger the town seems to present... now lets see... whats left" Solas remarks as he squats down on the balls of his feet examines teh remaining contents of the chest. Solas tucks the remaining Potion of Cat's Grace & Bull strength into the side pockets of his backpack.

"I already possess a wand that can heal light wounds, though I'll be happy to carry the remaining wands until they are needed, if no one objects..."

If no one does, he removes the remaing wands, placing the remaing two cure light wands of into his back pack, along with the third Signal stick.

Handling the scrolls, examining them, Solas asks"Who would like to carry these scrolls, they are of no use to me?" He looks up at the rest of the group expectantly.

Jade_Tarem
2009-11-13, 11:49 AM
"Don't look at me. Bad things happened the last time I tried to use an arcane scroll."

Fuzzies
2009-11-13, 12:03 PM
"I don't think anyone else can use them. I have some room in my pack to store them. Maybe we can find use for them in the future...as a 60g torch or something." Jacelyn winks and grins.

"If you guys just want to start at the town and go from there, I am fine with that. As long as we don't wait too much later in the day."

Nox Lupus
2009-11-13, 12:35 PM
hands the scrolls to Jacelyn as he stands.

Nox Lupus
2009-11-13, 11:11 PM
As we finish circling the island (as that was the last plan I saw here), Solas says
"So... we brave the possible dangers of the town? I have seen no other particularly inviting place anywhere else on the gods forsaken patch of land."

Solas, standing at the rail near some rigging, looks about for reaction, pro or con...

Jade_Tarem
2009-11-13, 11:40 PM
Aranis grins. "Well, I wasn't really expecting a five star inn at a place called the 'Isle of the Black Sorcerer.'" He sighs. "I don't see anything particularly good either."

Firebeard
2009-11-14, 08:24 AM
It takes about four hours to circle the island, in fact, due to the island being larger and the currents trickier than it first appeared. Comparing the landscape you see from the ship to that of the map in your hands, you can see that while the rough shape is the same, and many of the major landmarks are in place, the details are woefully distorted. Even the shape of the island is more of a crescent than is shown on the map, with the northern bay bowing deep into the island's interior.

The rough layout of the island is the same as the map, with forests to the West, cliffs to the North and South, and mountains to the East. The majority of the island is bordered by a wide beach of light brown sand. In general, you can see that while the map in your hand may be a good starting point, there is enough missing and misplaced to cause you to wonder about the veracity of the rest of the information you were given.

From the ship, you saw the top of a ziggurat peeking through the forest on the Western part of the island, several beached and broken ships, and a single tall mountain rising high above the Eastern mountain range that would make a great vantage point to view the entire island.

The captain, hearing your decision to put ashore near the village, dropped the launch boat over the side, with 4 strong men to row you in. Fighting the currents and the treacherous waves, they rowed you to the sandy beach, just across the beach from what appears to be gates in the wall facing the sea.

Nox Lupus
2009-11-14, 11:53 AM
Once we are on dry land, Solas searches the shore line for any immediate signs of danger...

Spot-[roll0]
Listen-[roll1]

Jade_Tarem
2009-11-14, 12:02 PM
Aranis steps forward and draws his greatsword while Solas scans the area. He also begins his own sweep.

Detect Evil, just in case.

Nox Lupus
2009-11-14, 12:06 PM
Solas smiles at ease in which Aranis handles his massive blade.
Easy friend, lets not be to eager for battle.:smallamused:

nighthawk07
2009-11-14, 01:17 PM
Daenir also begins looking around trying to spot any danger headed their way before getting out of the boat.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Firebeard
2009-11-14, 01:58 PM
@Aranis
You detect the presence of evil straight ahead, near the torn off gates of the village.

Everyone please give me a marching order and location on the map (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/CaillanVIllage1.png) anywhere along the water's edge.

Jade_Tarem
2009-11-14, 02:27 PM
Aranis begins moving forward, attempting to get a better fix on what he sensed. "Pure evil at twelve o'clock." If he gets any funny looks, he adds, "I'm serious, it's right up ahead by the gates."

Moving at 1/3 speed toward the gates along Row 12.

Firebeard
2009-11-14, 02:48 PM
placing Aranis at M12 for the time being

brakisaurus
2009-11-14, 03:15 PM
Lorus calls upon the aid of Lathander to bolster the party, and channels an extraordinary amount of divine power into it.

Casting Persistent Conviction, Mass (Spell Compendium) using Divine Metamagic burning 7 Turn attempts.
I'm at M13, and have good AC so could either make a strong rearguard or frontline.

Nox Lupus
2009-11-14, 03:17 PM
Place me on L 11

nighthawk07
2009-11-14, 06:43 PM
Daenir strings his bow quickly at the sound of Aranis' warning.

(place me at L-12 I guess)

Firebeard
2009-11-14, 07:55 PM
A grayish brown lump near the gates suddenly leaps up before you with a yell. Nearly 10 feet tall, with two porcine heads covered in scales, patchy fur, and the remnants of hide armor, the brute moves towards you and stops about 20 feet away. Brandishing a pair of enormous mauls, he demands to know your business and grips his weapons with the familiarity of one accustomed to violence.

"Who you? What want? Make Grog mad! Grog want smash!"

Nox Lupus
2009-11-14, 08:31 PM
Grog no smash, we friends to Grog, Grog should help new friends, tell us about island Solas replies in his best impersonation of "Grog's" broken Common.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Firebeard
2009-11-14, 09:09 PM
"Grog no like it, make fun of Grog talk. Grog smash little man!"

Initiative rolls
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

[roll5]

Combat order:

24 - Solas
16 - Grog
16 - Lorus
15 - Jacelyn
5 - Aranis
5 - Daenir

Nox Lupus
2009-11-14, 09:21 PM
Under his breath [sigh] Father will never let me forget this one...

Round 1...FIGHT!

Solas moves swiftly across the beach. Recognizing the reach of the brutes weapons he attempts to tumble inside his defenses, and then begins pummeling 'it' from the waist down.

Tumble:
[roll0]

Stunning Fist:
[roll1]

Firebeard
2009-11-14, 09:36 PM
Grog - Round 1

The pig headed ettin snarls as the blow bounces off his thick leg muscles. With lightning speed he returns the attack with both mauls, trying to crush the little man who mocked him.

Power attack 4 with both weapons
[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Solas takes 17 damage.

The monk managed to dodge underneath the first attack, but the second blasted him backwards.

brakisaurus
2009-11-15, 05:33 AM
Lorus Round 1

"You'll regret attacking my companions."

Lorus takes the Total Defense action (+4 Dodge AC, putting me at 27 total) as a standard action, then moves up next to the beast.

Fuzzies
2009-11-15, 06:36 AM
Jacelyn - Round 1

Jacelyn's eyes flash a pale blue as she shouts "He wasn't mocking you, you oaf! He was trying to talk to you!" Her hands wave in an intricate gesture and she speaks the word 'Tordath' as an ice cold ray flies from her fingers to strike the beast.

Move to N14, then cast Ray of Flame (frost)
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

If hit, the creature also takes 1d6 frost flame damage every round until flames are put out, DC15 ref save, DMG 303

[edit] ***apparently I got froze my own feet to the ground

Jade_Tarem
2009-11-15, 12:34 PM
Aranis

Aranis grimaces. This is probably going to hurt.

He charges the ettin, swinging at one of the creature's weapons.

Attack Roll: [roll0] (Improved Sunder + Two Handed Weapon)

Damage Roll: [roll1] (Ignores Hardness < 20)

Edit: EPIC fail.

nighthawk07
2009-11-15, 01:08 PM
Daenir Round 1

Daenir takes out an arrow and knocks it while he runs to his right. He stops quickly after sprinting a short distance and takes aim with an arrow then releases it.
Moves to H-7 and firing
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1] + Skirmish and Point Blank Shot [roll2]

Firebeard
2009-11-15, 02:38 PM
As the cleric rushes to his side, Grog uses his long reach to lash out unexpectedly quick at the armored man. The massive maul crushes into Lorus' shoulder, bringing a wince of pain from the cleric.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Lorus takes 17 damage.

Firebeard
2009-11-15, 02:42 PM
Distracted by the cleric, Grog does notice the Knight until his greatsword lashes out at the maul in Grog's left hand. The adamantine greatsword cleaves through the weapon just below the spiked head, leaving the monster holding a medium sized stick. It blinks in confusion for a few seconds and then starts to wail "Grog's hammer! You broke Grog's hammer!" The piggy eyes narrow at the Anointed Knight and it doesn't take a lot of intelligence to figure out who gets hurt next

[roll0]

While Aranis has its attention, the arrow fired by Daenir takes Grog completely by surprise. The shaft slammed deep into the monster's ribs under his left arm...the arm that until recently held a perfectly functional maul. Howling with pain, the monster turns his left head to stare at the archer with a menacing glare.

Firebeard
2009-11-15, 02:55 PM
Round 2 Initiatives

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

[roll5]

Combat Order:
25 - Daenir
19 - Grog
18 - Lorus
11 - Solas
5 - Jacelyn
3 - Aranis

Nox Lupus
2009-11-15, 03:38 PM
Round 2-

Solas will tumble to E11 to try to gain a better flanking position and will attempt another stunning fist.

Tumble-
[roll]1d20+9[/roll

Attack-
[roll0]

nighthawk07
2009-11-15, 04:12 PM
Daenir Round 2

Daenir readies another arrow and moves to encircle the brute. He stops for second to let loose another arrow.
My browser's being an ass right now so I can't see the map but I'm gonna say I move to D-6
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1] + Skirmish and PBS [roll2]
AC +1 due to skirmish so Daenir's AC = 20

Firebeard
2009-11-15, 04:54 PM
The monster is clearly at a loss as to who to attack. One head swivels to keep Daenir in view while the other focuses on Aranis. The monster reaches around and plucks a javelin from its back, and uses the move to conceal a low swing at Aranis. The knight easily slips the attack, however, earning nothing more serious than a small scratch on his armor.

[roll0]
[roll1]

brakisaurus
2009-11-15, 06:33 PM
Lorus Round 2

Lorus grimaces, surprised that the beast was able to penetrate his defenses, then retaliates with a powerful swing of his Heavy Flail.

Attack (Power Attacking for 2): [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Not sure if I'm flanking, if so add another 2 to my attack

Nox Lupus
2009-11-15, 08:22 PM
Rising up with the momentum of his tumble, Solas lands a solid hit on the lower back of the beast,:smallamused:.

[roll0]...Save vs Stunning, Fort DC 17

Firebeard
2009-11-15, 08:52 PM
Grog turned just as the cleric attacked and the blow glanced off his thick hide and patchy armor. The monk posed a greater threat as he rolled past the ettin and landed a powerful blow just behind Grog's left kidney. For a moment it seemed as if the beast would be stunned by the unexpected blow, but the creature just shrugged it away.

[roll0]

Nox Lupus
2009-11-15, 08:58 PM
:smallmad: [Erh!] human anatomy does equate with Giant anatomy... I'll have to remember that.

Fuzzies
2009-11-15, 09:14 PM
Jacelyn - Round 2

Seeing Aranis cleave the monster's weapon in two, Jacelyn switched the spell she was preparing and instead sent a stream of magical missiles straight at the beast.

Casting magic missiles CL5
[roll0]

Firebeard
2009-11-15, 10:45 PM
The missiles of focused light veer unerringly towards Grog, but as they near his body they appear to be absorbed into the skin. Both pairs of eyes in the Ettin's heads glow suddenly and its body swells as power radiates through it. The monster looks up at Jacelyn and a feral grin splits the lips on both heads.

Jade_Tarem
2009-11-15, 11:10 PM
Aranis

Alright, he has backup weapons. Not for long, though.

Aranis plants his feet and attacks, aiming to rid the giant of his remaining weapons.

Double the sunder, double the fun! Same bonuses as before.

Attack 1: [roll0] vs. the other maul.
Attack 2: [roll1] vs. the javelin.
Damage 1: [roll2]
Damage 2: [roll3]

nighthawk07
2009-11-16, 12:15 AM
Daenir Round 3

Daenir runs to position near the gate pulling out another arrow from his quiver. He stops and turn to face the ettin. Daenir draws the string back and aims carefully. This time surely must fell this beast
Move to B-12
Attack: [roll0] (+ another 4 if he can cast arcane spells (but not spell-like abilities0)
Damage: [roll1] + Skirmish and PBS [roll2] (+ another 4 if he can cast arcane spells (but not spell-like abilities))

Nox Lupus
2009-11-16, 12:37 AM
Round 3, :smallmad:

Flurry of Blows-
1st Att-[roll0]
Dmg-[roll1]

2nd Att-[roll2]
Dmg-[roll3]

Nox Lupus
2009-11-16, 12:40 AM
Two rapid blows from Solas target the monster...

Crit Confirm- [roll0]
Dmg- [roll1]

brakisaurus
2009-11-16, 12:54 AM
Lorus - Round 3

Lorus, surprised by the creature's agility, strikes again but more carefully.

Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

Firebeard
2009-11-16, 08:05 AM
Howling in fury, the creature watches the Knight with the vicious greatsword swinging at his precious hammer again. The ettin yanks the maul back and out of the way, but loses the head of his javelin. Screaming in fury as more arrows thud into his back, the ettin feels another blow from the Cleric bounce off of his thick hide.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Firebeard
2009-11-16, 08:13 AM
Grog - Round 3

Enemies on all sides, the monster strikes at the one that has been breaking his precious weapons. With a mixture of fury and hatred, the maul and stub of the Javelin come crashing in at Aranis. The fury of the creature drives the Knight to his knees as maul and broken javelin rain down heavy blows upon his head.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7]

Aranis takes 33 damage.

Firebeard
2009-11-16, 08:17 AM
As the monk darts in to place another blow, the frenzied monster dodges slightly, taking only a minor bruise from the blow.

Nox Lupus
2009-11-16, 08:19 AM
By the Light, this beast is a tough one!:smallmad:

Fuzzies
2009-11-16, 12:34 PM
Jacelyn - Round 3

Jacelyn watched in outrage as her spell stuck true and was absorbed. Deciding that discretion was the better part of valor, she cast Mage Armor on herself, then wracked her brains for any information that might help subdue this monster.

+4 AC for 6 hours.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Firebeard
2009-11-16, 01:04 PM
@Jacelyn

You recall reading a reference in an ancient tome about a group of wizards that used dark magic to twist and tear at the fabric of wholesome creatures. The results of their experiments had augmented abilities and the partial ability to absorb some spells and convert the absorbed energy. These creatures also invariably became violent and often went mad from the pain and the changes the wizards wrought.

Jade_Tarem
2009-11-16, 01:55 PM
Aranis

That's enough of that.

Aranis gets up off his knees and swings his sword in an overhand blow that channels the divine wrath of the Seldarine, finishing with a backwards chop for good measure.

Attack 1 (Smite & Power Attack 2): [roll0]
Attack 2: [roll1]

Firebeard
2009-11-16, 02:10 PM
The Knight's powerful blow sends the monster reeling, bleeding from an enormous slash across its belly. It is dying, but that thought hasn't seemed to register yet because the monstrosity readies for another attack!

Nox Lupus
2009-11-16, 02:19 PM
Round 4
[If we get to me, :smallsmile:]

Assuming I still have flanking the +2 is factored in:
Flurry-
Att- [roll0]
Dmg- [roll1]
Att- [roll2]
Dmg- [roll3]

nighthawk07
2009-11-16, 02:32 PM
Daenir round 4

Daenir moves around a bit hoping to confuse the creature but realizes it really isn't paying any attention to him so he shoots another arrow into its back.
Daenir moves in a zigzag pattern that ends him in the same square as he started
Attack: [roll0]
Damage [roll1] + Skirmish and PBS [roll2]
Incase of another possible crit
Confirm: [roll3]
Extra Damage: [roll4]

Firebeard
2009-11-16, 03:42 PM
The first arrow fired from Daenir's bow slams into the flailing ettin and sends it reeling to the ground. The second lands with a still finality and it quickly becomes clear that the beast is finally dead.

nighthawk07
2009-11-16, 04:33 PM
Daenir gives a slight sigh of relief and walks over to the giant. Just to be sure he pulls out his knife and plunges it into both skulls before trying to recover his arrows from its body.

Nox Lupus
2009-11-16, 04:39 PM
Solas looks about at the rest of the party. Is everyone else alright?.

While listening for responses, Solas sets his backpack down and produces a wand from its main pouch.

Jade_Tarem
2009-11-16, 04:50 PM
Aranis

Aranis merely responds. "Ow... If no one objects, I'm going to heal myself, and then remind myself not to do that in the future."

Healing myself for 32, putting me at 1 hit point below... hold on. I was struck twice. DR 3/- would have triggered twice, reducing the damage by 6.

So, actually, I'm going to go through all of my healing devotion and all but 5 points of my Lay on Hands. Going to full health.

Aranis straightens up with a sigh of relief, his wounds closing within a minute. "I have some healing power left. Who else is injured?"

Nox Lupus
2009-11-16, 05:29 PM
Before using the wand, Solas pauses hearing Aranis' voice, :smallsmile: I am brother, that beast packed quite a wollop.

Solas rises from his backpack. Wand in one hand, and rubbing his shoulder with the other, Solas walks to Aranis.

Fuzzies
2009-11-16, 11:03 PM
"By the gods, I hope this whole island isn't filled with those things." Jacelyn said as she walked up to the torn pin cushioned corpse. Looking around, it didn't seem like the rest of them were in any hurry to search the corspe. "Fine! I'll do it then!" Rummaging through the beasts torn clothes and belt pouches, Jacelyn searches for anything useful.

Take 20 to search the corpse, giving me a 25

Firebeard
2009-11-17, 08:14 AM
Poking through the monster's pockets and clothes, it is obvious that the ettin collected all sorts of things. Pebbles, seashells, bits of tree bark...even what looked like a dried severed finger. You also find a handful of coins, some gems, and a small vial of some unidentified substance.

Jade_Tarem
2009-11-17, 09:22 PM
Aranis burns the remaining five points of Lay on Hands to help heal Solas.

He looks over at Jacelyn. "Anything interesting?"

nighthawk07
2009-11-17, 09:27 PM
After salvaging as many arrows as he could from the corpse Daenir looks around to see if the commotion caught the attention of anyone or anything that might have been nearby.

Fuzzies
2009-11-17, 10:36 PM
Jacelyn holds out her hands with the ettin's "hoard" in her palms. "Just a few bits of glitter, some coins, and this" She held the vial up to the light and peered at it. Give me a minute and I'll see if I can't figure out what it is.

[roll0]

brakisaurus
2009-11-17, 11:26 PM
Left to his own resources, Lorus heals himself up with the wands.

1 charge of CLW wand: [roll0]
1 charge of Lesser Vigor - 11 hp

Total of 17 HP, back to full

Jade_Tarem
2009-11-17, 11:27 PM
Aranis sweeps his Detection over the gates again, looking for any further threats.

Firebeard
2009-11-18, 07:52 AM
@Jacelyn

The potion in your hands appears to be one you recognize. A single dose of Eagle's Splendor

@Daenir

As you peer into the gates leading to the interior of the village, you can see shadows fliting between the buildings and hear a number of odd hoots, screeches, whistles, and something that sounds eerily like the laughter of a madman.

@Aranis

The village is infested with evil. Your scan does not reveal much more than that, but you get the sense that there are a goodly number of evil creatures nearby.

Fuzzies
2009-11-18, 08:08 AM
"It's a potion of Eagle's Splendor. Well, a little charisma boost never hurts. Perhaps Solas can drink it the next time he decides to be our spokesmen?" Jacelyn grinned at Solas.

"Anyways, do we press on or turn back? Aranis, do you sense any more of those things about?" Jacelyn stopped talking to look through the gates and listen.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Jade_Tarem
2009-11-18, 10:55 AM
Aranis smiles. "My detection doesn't really work like that. I only sense whether there's evil in a location or not, I don't get to know what kind until I actually see it."

The smile fades. "But to answer your question, the village is pretty much saturated with some form of evil or another - there are multiple sources, too. Also, save that potion of Eagle's Splendor - it might help us out in a bit, if I finish my alchemical booster for my sword while we're here."

nighthawk07
2009-11-18, 12:23 PM
"I don't like the looks of this place. Whoever is in there is communicating something to each other. If we walk in, it might be an ambush."

Fuzzies
2009-11-18, 03:43 PM
"I am not sure we are ever going to be in a better position than we are now. At least we are mostly fresh. I do not like the thought of trying to return here wounded and with spells depleted, looking for a place to rest."

"If we are to look here for information about this relic, now is probably the best chance we'll get."

Jade_Tarem
2009-11-19, 07:33 PM
Aranis nods and heads for the gates.

nighthawk07
2009-11-19, 08:27 PM
Daenir keeps his bow at the ready and he moves ahead of Aranis. Once Daenir reaches the gate he will check it for anything suspicous. And also peer beyond it to see if there are any possible threats.
Searching for traps: [roll0]
Looking past the gate: [roll1]
Trying to hear more gibberish: [roll2]

Firebeard
2009-11-19, 10:06 PM
The village appears deserted. The shapes that you saw flickering back and forth in the shadows are still or gone. The place has the rundown feel of a once busy community, now gone to seed. You can see weeds and vines growing over the houses and yards. Once finely tended flower gardens are now teeming with vicious looking thorn plants and grass.

Beyond the gates lies a road? a pathway? It is an avenue about 15 feet across between the houses and appears to lead directly to the center of the village. Run down houses line the street, some with the doors smashed in (and out!), and many with the roofs fallen in.

The houses nearest the walls have been built so that there is about 10 feet of space between them and the wall, allowing free access around the houses to the spaces beyond. It probably made good strategic sense to construct the village that way, to allow easy access to all parts of the wall for defense of the village in times of assault.

Nox Lupus
2009-11-20, 08:57 PM
Solas follow the group, having healed himself up with his wand.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Nox Lupus
2009-11-20, 08:59 PM
...and to top me off...
[roll0]

Jade_Tarem
2009-11-21, 02:01 PM
Aranis move cautiously forward a bit. He props his sword on his shoulder to cup his other hand to his mouth. "Anyone out there?"

At the same time, he sweeps the immediate area with his detection.

Firebeard
2009-11-21, 02:42 PM
As you move forward through the gates, you begin to see that the roadway is well traveled, with far less weed and vine growth than you would expect from a completely deserted place.

Making your way a little further in, you stop as you notice 3 shapes moving out of the shadows ahead.

Place yourselves on the map (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/CaillanVillage2.png) any where near the gate between rows 6-10 and columns N-R.

nighthawk07
2009-11-21, 03:15 PM
Daenir keeps his bow at the ready with an arrow knocked. He keeps a vigilant eye out. "I can go in first if you want. Or I could hang back here and give some support with my bow."

(Daenir will be at P-8)

Nox Lupus
2009-11-21, 05:57 PM
Acknowledging Jacelyn's friendly-jab with a warm smile and a rub of his neck
Whoever wishes to take point might want to be more gifted in communication skills than I.:smallbiggrin: That person should probably hold on to that potion.

With a self-deprecating smile, Solas moves up just under the gate (Q7) and peers around the corner.

Solas keeps his trained eyes and ears tuned into his surroundings at all times, almost effortlessly.

Nox Lupus
2009-11-21, 06:07 PM
GM-

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Jade_Tarem
2009-11-21, 06:42 PM
Aranis continues to stand at the point, searching for signs of intelligent life.

Ah, what's life without risk? Put Aranis at N8. :smallamused:

Fuzzies
2009-11-21, 10:26 PM
Jacelyn will hide behind the monk at 7R.

Firebeard
2009-11-21, 10:39 PM
Making your way a little further in, you stop as you notice 3 shapes moving out of the shadows ahead. From either side of the street appear creatures as unnatural to the eyes as the monstrous ettin, though not nearly so large.

From the neck down they have the hairy bodies and cloves hooves of Ibixians, the goatpeople, but the heads...the heads are as foreign to the Ibixian bodies as the pig heads were on the ettin. It is clear that some foul source has been working on these creatures, twisting them and distorting their natural figures.

The one in the back has a hawk's head grafted to his shoulders, and a longbow already nocked with an arrow. The two closest to you have different heads - the one on the right sports a pig's head, while the one on the left is a mass of tentacles with three dark beady eyes peeking through - but both sport a vicious looking greataxe. Unlike the ettin, they don't bother to speak, instead launching into the attack.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

[roll5]

Combat Order:
20 - Ibixians
15 - Solas
14 - Lorus
13 - Jacelyn
11 - Daenir
5 - Aranis

Firebeard
2009-11-21, 10:52 PM
Goat people - Round 1

The two axe-wielding goat things both charge Aranis, who is in the lead and thus the greatest threat in their warped minds. The mad squeals of the pig head are unnerving, but not nearly as unnerving as the total silence from within the tentacles. Both axes come whistling in at the Knight with murderous intent.

Meanwhile, the archer in the distance raises its bow and fires the prepared arrow at Solas.

Pig head moves to M8
[roll0]
[roll1]

tentacles moves to M9
[roll2]
[roll3]

Hawk fires at Solas
[roll4]
[roll5]

Aranis takes 14 damage

The pig-headed monster's swing goes wide, but the distraction was enough to let the tentacled monster slip a blow in through Aranis' defenses. The blow landed solidly, driving the air out tf the Knight wiht a loud "whumph".

The arrow intended for the monk flew wide and buried itself in the wall a few feet from Solas' head.

Nox Lupus
2009-11-21, 10:58 PM
Round 1:

Well, that solves that dilema

Solas remarks at the charging Ibixians, and the lack any chance for opening dialogue.

Nox Lupus
2009-11-21, 11:10 PM
Unimpressed by the Pigheaded monster's attack upon Aranis, Solas decides to make a bold move...

Charging ahead, Solas dashes past the pigheaded creature and strikes at the bow-wielding monstrosity.
KIIIIAAAT!!

[roll0]
Fort DC 17

Nox Lupus
2009-11-21, 11:15 PM
Got to remember to post the damage, too
[roll0]

Firebeard
2009-11-22, 11:35 AM
As the monk sprints past, one of the warped Ibixians slashes out at him with its greataxe.

1d20+8
[roll0]

Firebeard
2009-11-22, 11:37 AM
Let's try this again...with feeling this time!

[roll0]

Looks like Solas survived his mad rush

Firebeard
2009-11-22, 11:45 AM
The monk's blow landed heavily upon the archer, doing little actual damage, but sending a wave of force through the goat man's torso. The blow rocked the Ibixian, but he just snapped his hawk's beak and looked annoyed.

[roll0]

Firebeard
2009-11-22, 12:25 PM
Lorus - Round 1

The priest charges forward and swings his heavy mace at the head of the tentacled creature. His mace crashes into the monster, tearing off a tentacle and making the beast howl in pain.

Charge + power attack 2
[roll0]
[roll1]

Fuzzies
2009-11-22, 02:09 PM
Jacelyn - Round 1

Stepping peering around the corner, Jacelyn levels her wand and launches a barrage of strikes against the archer engaged with Solas.

[roll0]
[roll1]

nighthawk07
2009-11-22, 02:57 PM
Daenir Round 1

Daenir draws back the bowstring and moves around to get a better position to shoot past Aranis. Then he looses the arrow on the pigheaded one.

Move to P-6
Damage: [roll1] + Skirmish and PBS [roll2]

Jade_Tarem
2009-11-22, 03:01 PM
Aranis - Round 1

Aranis attempts to finish off the tentacle-man-goat-thing.

Attack 1: [roll0] (Power Attack 2)

Jade_Tarem
2009-11-22, 03:05 PM
Aranis - Possible Cleave

If the first attack drops the tentacle thing, this is the cleave attack on the pig-man.

Cleave for Attack Bonus 10/Power Attack 2: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

If the second attack drops the tentacle thing, this is the cleave attack on the pig-man.

Cleave for Attack Bonus 5: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

If neither of my Round 1 hits drops him, then this post can be ignored.

Firebeard
2009-11-22, 04:39 PM
With a whistling sound, the arrow comes streaking in from the side, landing uder the pig head goat thing's shoulder with a thunk. The beast staggered. Meanwhile, with a mighty yell Aranis brought his ancestral greatsword across with tremendous force, gutting the tentacled monster and burying the blade deep into the side of the other. Both monsters fell to the ground, obviously dead from the wounds they received.

Before the companions can congratulate themselves, two more creatures appear in the door of the large building to the south and throw themselves onto Lorus. They appear to be small goblinoid creatures with thick knobbly tentacles instead of arms. They immediately set about flailing at the cleric with these "clubs".

Goblin1 moves to M10 and pummels
[roll0]
[roll1]

Goblin2 moves to M9 and pummels
[roll2]
[roll3]

Firebeard
2009-11-22, 04:43 PM
Confirming crit on Lorus before moving on
[roll0]
[roll1]

no crit! Lorus takes 8 damage from the 1st attack.

The drubbing from the knobbly limbs knocks Lorus' head to the side but does little more than give him a bloody lip.

Combat Order:
20 - Monsters
15 - Solas
14 - Lorus
13 - Jacelyn
11 - Daenir
5 - Aranis

Firebeard
2009-11-22, 07:28 PM
The hawk-headed goat man in front of Solas dropped his bow and drew an axe hooked to its belt. Swinging at the monk with all its might, the creature attempted to force the young man away and into a better position to gut him.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Solas takes 10 damage.

The monk, still extended from his charging attacks, lets the blow slip inside his defenses. The blade catches him on the shoulder, and for a moment it looks as if the monk might lose the use of that arm.

Nox Lupus
2009-11-22, 08:44 PM
With a Flurry of counter strikes, Solas cries "To the Abyss with you!:smallfurious:

Attack 1- [roll0]
Dmg 1- [roll1]
Attack 2-[roll2]
Dmg 2-[roll3]

Firebeard
2009-11-22, 09:10 PM
The flurry of blows from the monk's fists and knees are but glancing blows, with only one connecting with enough force to bruise the muscles beneath the goatman's skin.

Lorus - Round 2

Deciding that Aranis would easily finish off the goblin next to him, Lorus instead swings at the one to his left. The blow fails to connect with any force, but does cause the goblinoid to shy back a bit.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Fuzzies
2009-11-22, 09:31 PM
Jacelyn - Round 2

Again Jacelyn pointed her wand at the hawk headed archer and spoke the words of activation

[roll0]
[roll1]

Firebeard
2009-11-23, 08:13 AM
The bolts of blue light swerve unerringly around Solas and slam into the hawk head. The beak is shattered by the force and the beast falls to the ground.

nighthawk07
2009-11-23, 12:31 PM
Daenir Round 2

Daenir pulls out two arrows from his quiver and fires them off in quick succession at the two new foes.
Rapid Shot + PBS
Attack 1: [roll0]

Firebeard
2009-11-23, 02:32 PM
Both of Daenir's arrows hit and sink deep into the mutated goblins. Neither seems to notice, however, pressing on the attack and waving their appendages.

Jade_Tarem
2009-11-23, 04:52 PM
Aranis - Round 2

Aranis sidesteps forward and attacks.

5 foot adjusting to M8.

He's not in position for a cleave, though.

Firebeard
2009-11-23, 05:26 PM
The Knight's blow fells the goblinoid, leaving only one foe still standing.

Monsters - Round 3

The lone goblin lets out a howl of misery and pain, and begins to thrash his arms wildly at Lorus. The rubbery tentacles make hideous squelching sounds as they bounce off the armor plating, doing no damage, but leaving a number of streak marks.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

map update to come after I get home. Left my thumb drive at the house this morning.

Nox Lupus
2009-11-23, 09:36 PM
Solas turns turns about, shoots Jacelyn a momentary smile and nod of appreciation for the assist, then charges the remaining 'goblin'

Charge to L10
Attack:[roll0]
Dmg:[roll1]

Firebeard
2009-11-23, 10:57 PM
The monk's blows knock the creature to the ground, bleeding heavily from its nose and mouth. The immediate are is still and quiet once more, though you get the feeling that danger still lurks nearby. It appears as though the cleric's vision was not far off the mark after all. Hatred and anger burn through this village as a wildfire through the prairie.

You begin to feel that the creatures, while obviously not natural, are perhaps the result of magical experimentation by someone in the village. Perhaps the person hinted at in the rumors on back of the map? Or maybe the relic you came to search for?

Nox Lupus
2009-11-23, 11:05 PM
Morning's Light! This... What are these misshapen abominations? Solas turns over the beast he just killed with his foot :smallmad:. Never have I seen or heard of such monstrosities outside of the Abyss itself!

Realizing danger is likely still afoot, Solas moves quickly to recover the bow, arrows and any other gear from the archer he and Jacelyn brought down.

Spot-[roll0]
Listen-[roll1]

Nox Lupus
2009-11-23, 11:21 PM
Assuming nothing jumps out of the surrounding buildings while he is doing this, Solas will proceed to heal himself after returning to the group.

Wand-
[roll0]
[roll1]

Jade_Tarem
2009-11-23, 11:22 PM
"I think we can safely say that the village is overrun by these things. Keep alert."

Fuzzies
2009-11-24, 08:26 AM
Keeping a watchful eye out, Jacelyn moved over to where Aranis and Lorus had killed the two goat men and the goblins. Quickly rolling the bodies over, she carefully inspected what had been done to these creatures as she looked for anything useful in their pouches or remnants of clothing.

The casual cruelty of the wizard who tortured these beings made her angry. So angry that when Aranis offered to help her, she spat "I'm fine!" at him with such rage that it caused the Knight to step back in surprise.

"Sorry", she apologized "but using magic to make monstrosities like this...it just isn't right. It's a perversion of all that I know and have been taught."

More knowledge checks to find out anything else about these creatures

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Firebeard
2009-11-24, 10:40 PM
Quickly rummaging through the archer's belongings, Solas finds a few oddments and 23 silvers' worth of copper and tarnished silver coins. The archer's bow is actually in fairly good condition, the laminated horn of the arms bearing a fine polish. It is obvious that the bow was well made, and the composite construction yields more power than an average longbow. There is also a quiver of 13 arrows.

Jacelyn fares slightly better in her investigations, with more bodies to loot. There is 43 gold worth of coins, a single blue gem, and a cracked vial of reddish brown liquid that looks like blood, but probably isn't. The goblins have little in the way of gear, but the greataxes used by the unfortunate goat men are in as good of condition as the bow was. It is obvious that whatever their mental instabilities and external mutations, these fighters prized themselves on keeping their weapons in fine working order.

@Solas
Hooting calls and squawks, grunts and chatter echo from teh buildings around you. You begin to notice patterns in the sounds, as if the creatures making them are communicating heavily with each other.

@Jacelyn
Upon closer inspection of these bodies, you believe that they have been made relatively recently, not mutated long in the past and left to procreate as they may. You also remember that often dark mages would implant compulsions in their experiments. Commands against attacking their makers, or of defending an area. The spells used to twist these creatures into this mockery of nature were powerful Transmutations indeed.

Firebeard
2009-11-24, 10:43 PM
Lorus heals himself with his wand and asks the group at large, shall we press on?
Nodding up the path, he indicates a large stone and wood building that seems in better repair than the building in your immediate vicinity.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Nox Lupus
2009-11-24, 11:15 PM
Suddeny, Salas' face takes on a serious expression as he seems to be listening intently to the surroundings.

My friends, I suggest we 'notch our axes' and withdraw or find a place to hold up... I fear we have more company on its way to greet us.

Solas straps the quiver to his belt, then notches an arrow as he scans the area for suitable places to hide, or any signs of more 'welcoming' natives.

@GM

Spot-[roll0]
Listen-[roll1]

nighthawk07
2009-11-24, 11:34 PM
Daenir keeps an arrow readied on his bow and scans about for the enemy. "If we make for that building it would probably be more defensible than standing around here. But on the other hand we could be walking into the beehive." Daenir begins climbing up onto the roof of one of the nearby buildings hopefully getting a better view of the village.

Climb: [roll2]
(if it helps me get on the roof running jump)
Jump: [roll3] (the +4 is for 10 feet speed above 30)

Nox Lupus
2009-11-24, 11:38 PM
"Dark! Be careful up there Daenir." Solas curses under his breath as he sees his intrepid friend scale the side of the building and on to the roof where he would make an excellent target for any nearby archers.

Jade_Tarem
2009-11-25, 01:17 AM
Aranis's breath and pulse finally steady, he notes what the others are doing. "I'm going to check the building first."

He moves to look at the building, focusing intently on it with his detection to see what, if any, dark presences lurk within.

This campaign definitely takes the cake for 'greatest number of uses of detect evil in five minutes.' :smalltongue:

Firebeard
2009-11-25, 07:14 AM
This campaign definitely takes the cake for 'greatest number of uses of detect evil in five minutes.' :smalltongue:

Well, you guys wanted to start at the village :biggrin:

Firebeard
2009-11-25, 05:21 PM
As Aranis looks into the building previously occupied by the goblinoids, he is met with a hideous stench - a combination of refuse, rotting food, excrement, and unwashed bodies. Knowing he has little time for a thorough search , he glances about and sees nothing of interest. Quickly he moves to the other houses and inspects them as well.

@Aranis
Make me a spot check, followed by a search check please

Daenir barely manages to catch the eave of the roof of one of the houses and hoists himself onto the roof. The planked roofing is crumbling, having fallen in at places and shifts dangerously under his feet.

@Daenir
Balance check please

Jade_Tarem
2009-11-27, 06:35 PM
Search [roll1]

Firebeard
2009-11-27, 09:03 PM
Other than obvious signs of use and ill-use by the creatures inhabiting this village, Aranis spies nothing of interest in the houses immediately surrounding the group. His attention is distracted from the search by the sounds of Daenir nearly falling from the roof of the building he is looking in.

nighthawk07
2009-11-28, 10:00 PM
Balance: [roll0]

Firebeard
2009-11-28, 10:42 PM
The rotten planking shifts dangerously under Daenir's feet as he attempts to look around from the high ground. The elf easily manages to keep his feet and glance about him for signs of trouble. Trouble needed no signpost here. It had a personal herald with a very loud voice.

From all directions Daenir saw creatures swarming in their direction. They ran between houses, over rooftops, and some even flapped ungainly through the air. Daenir saw that in minutes they would be overwhelmed by sheer numbers. In fact, the only direction from which very few creatures were actually coming at them was in the direction of the large building some 150 feet or so straight ahead.

Straight ahead and through about a half dozen or so monsters...

Fuzzies
2009-11-30, 09:43 AM
"Back or ahead?" Jacelyn shouted as she grabbed a couple of scrolls from the case at her belt. Quickly flipping though them, she prepared to use the arcane writings at need.

Nox Lupus
2009-11-30, 10:20 AM
Dark and Empty! We're in for a fight no matter which way we go. Do we make our stand in the open or within four walls? Aranis? Is that building you're looking in worth our time or do we run for the mansion?

Jade_Tarem
2009-11-30, 02:29 PM
Aranis considers for maybe half a second. The buildings he's looking into aren't worth squat. "Can't go this way. It's the mansion or the gate! Someone make the call!"

Nox Lupus
2009-11-30, 02:48 PM
Seeing no one leaping to make the decision, Solas lets his faith guide him. To himself at first, Solas says "we cannot allow these abominations to exist unchecked." He pauses for a moment " Aranis, Jacelyn, Daenir, Lorus, We kill those things between us and our goal quickly, then head for shelter!" Solas points an accusatory finger at the six or so beasts on the road ahead towards the Mansion.

Ready...

Firebeard
2009-11-30, 09:09 PM
Setting your eyes upon the big stone building, you prepare yourselves for a short, yet brutal combat to break through the forces opposing you and reach the unknown safety of the stone walls. Short, because the hordes Daenir saw descending upon you will surely overwhelm you if you cannot find a safe place to make your stand. Brutal, because it has to be short...

Place yourselves on the map (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/CaillanVillage3.png), any where on the road in columns X-BB. Daenir, place yourself on the roof of the house in squares 7Z-7BB.

Fuzzies
2009-11-30, 10:33 PM
Jacelyn is at BB11.

Nox Lupus
2009-11-30, 10:45 PM
Solas on Y8

Jade_Tarem
2009-11-30, 11:30 PM
((Aranis at X9, because eventually I'm going to roll well on initiative.))

nighthawk07
2009-12-01, 01:13 AM
(Put Daenir at 7-BB)

Firebeard
2009-12-01, 08:02 AM
Between you and your goal is a loose group of monsters. Some have the heads of hyenas, but otherwise humanoid torsos, two have the look of what were once halflings, one with a brown eagle's head, the other with that of a bear cub. One is a goblinoid that looks perfectly normal from the waist up...striding along on 6 insectoid legs.

Initiative Rolls
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Combat Order

23 - Daenir
21 - Halflings
18 - Jacelyn
17 - Aranis
16 - Hyenas
13 - Solas
5 - Goblin
5 - Lorus

nighthawk07
2009-12-01, 12:30 PM
Daenir makes ready to leap over to the other roof. He begins his running start until he spots something out of the corner of his eye. Midway through his run he pulls out an arrow and fires a shot in between the two building across the street. "Watch your left!" he yells down to his companions.
Moving to 7-Z (or 7-Y if there is enough roof)
If I can shoot at the thing
Damage: [roll1] Skirmish +[roll2]

Otherwise its just a warning shot for my companions

Firebeard
2009-12-01, 12:51 PM
With a cry of "Watch your left!" Daenir fired an arrow into the shadows between two buildings. An impact was heard, followed immediately by a grunting wheeze and what looked to be an orc with skeletal arms fell wheezing out from its place of ambush in the shadows.

With a howl of fury, the bear cub halfling charged into the space in the road between the two groups, snarling and spitting. The eagle-headed halfling moved up behind the hyenas, raised its arms and with a piercing shriek conjured a dense cloud of fog around them.

Nice shot! Bypassed the cover save and did exactly the amount of damage to kill it!

Fuzzies
2009-12-01, 01:08 PM
"I hope all that studying was worth something!" Jacelyn said as she ran forward to get a better angle on the cloud and hte monsters hidden within. Pulling a glass marble from a pocket in the sleeve of her robes, she shouted "Friezade!" and a frosty orb hurtles into the fog bank, where it detonates with a loud CRA-ACK!

Move to Y11 and cast Scintillating Sphere (SC 181), transmuted into Frost damage, aimed at the center of the fog bank. Everything in 20' radius takes 6d6 damge, ref 18 for half.

[roll=Eagle SR]1d20+6
[roll0]

[roll=Hyena1 SR]1d20+6
[roll1]

[roll=Hyena2 SR]1d20+6
[roll2]

[roll=Hyena3 SR]1d20+6
[roll3]

[roll=Goblin SR]1d20+6
[roll4]

and bear cub if he is in range
[roll=Bear Cub SR]1d20+6
[roll5]

whew!

Fuzzies
2009-12-01, 01:09 PM
Oh darn! The SRs didn't go through :( Let's try that again

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

and bear cub if he is in range
[roll=Bear Cub SR]1d20+6

Fuzzies
2009-12-01, 01:11 PM
Oh I give up!

[roll0]

Firebeard
2009-12-01, 01:18 PM
Wow!

okay, hyenas 1-3 are top to bottom. You failed to get through hyena2's SR, so he gets bigger :)

And after all those muffed rolls, I almost hate to tell you that the bear cub guy was way out of range :smalleek:

[roll0]

[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3]

go, go goblin insect! would that be ginsect?

[edit] oops, hyena2 should be hyena3

The detonating sphere hurls chunks of earth into the sky, along with chunks of halfling and hyena-men. The force of the impact dissipates all but the faintest of wisps of cloud, allowing the party to clearly see devastation.

A lone hyena-man stands amongst the shreds of it's kin, its eyes glowing a hard blue before its body noticeably swells in power. The goblin-insect sways a little on its 4 remaining legs, but otherwise appears ready to fight.

Jade_Tarem
2009-12-01, 02:59 PM
Aranis grins at the remaining hyena man. "Ooohh. Shiny." He then charges straight at it.

Possibly not the brightest maneuver, but someone needs to keep Mr. Glowing-Eyes busy.

Charge ends at the square right in front of Hyena Man 2. L8, if I'm not mistaken.

Attack Roll (Power Attack 3): [roll0]
Damage Roll (Power Attack 3): [roll1]

Firebeard
2009-12-01, 03:30 PM
The Knight's ancestral sword cleaved through spell-enhanced flesh, spilling out the soft squishy bits that the skin is there to protect. A gout of blood and strings of flesh followed the blade's backswing as the hyena-man collapsed to the ground.

No hyenas left, so on to Solas.

Nox Lupus
2009-12-01, 03:49 PM
Seeing some of his friends having made no move towards the Mansion, Solas shouts, Friends, The road is clear, Run! quickly, to the Mansion!

If Aranis charged "straight at it" to L9, Solas moves to cover him on L8 (Double Move)

At that, Solas runs forward towards Aranis.

Firebeard
2009-12-01, 08:18 PM
Goblin - Round 1

The goblin-insect rushed at Aranis, taking a mighty swipe at the Knight with its claws. The claw clatters on Aranis' armor though, doing no damage.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Lorus - Round 1

Lorus rushes forward to place himself between Jacelyn and the bear cub halfling. "C'mon then!" he shouts. "Come and taste the end of it!"

nighthawk07
2009-12-01, 08:36 PM
Daenir pulls out another arrow and aims towards the mass of monster in the road only to see the destructive force of Jacelyn's spell. He scan for more targets and sees Lorus yelling at the bear cub halfling abomination. He then fires two shots at the beast.
Rapid Shot

Nox Lupus
2009-12-01, 10:16 PM
@ GM

Side note from my turn:
Quick Recon-
Spot:1d20+9]
Listen:[roll0]

Specifically: from where I am now on the board, what can I see up and down the road in front of the mansion.

Firebeard
2009-12-01, 10:36 PM
@Nox

Not much. Just about a score of monsters up each side path, hesitating to get too near the big house, but obviously gearing themselves to attack

Fuzzies
2009-12-01, 10:43 PM
Not wanting to be left behind, Jacelyn runs flat out towards the relative safety of Aranis and Solas, hoping that Lorus will keep the bear cub thing away from her as she goes.

Move to M8, no AoO please

Nox Lupus
2009-12-01, 10:44 PM
...Solas pauses in his stride at Aranis' back with a very confused look on his face. He seems to speak to himself, while looking hard up and down the road that runs in front of the mansion.

@Aranis and anyone who cares to make a Listen check
...what in the hells? What are they waiting for?:smallconfused:

Jade_Tarem
2009-12-02, 02:26 AM
Aranis pivots and attempts to finish the arachnigoblin.

Jade_Tarem
2009-12-02, 02:30 AM
((Crit Confirmation))
[roll0]

Firebeard
2009-12-02, 08:30 AM
Halfling - Round 2

The bear cub halfling seemed to hesitate, not knowing which target to attack. As Daenir's arrows thudded home, however, he mewled softly and tried to crawl into the nearby space between two huts. It is only then that you realize that the monster was probably not a halfling at all, but a human child.

Firebeard
2009-12-02, 08:33 AM
Lorus - Round 2

Looking over his shoulder, Lorus saw more creatures coming from the direction of the gate and stepping between the houses. "Run for it, Daenir!" he shouted as he sprinted after Jacelyn. It was clear to him that the swift scout could easily outdistance the newcomers if he could get to ground and get moving.

Move to I11 and look around the corner

nighthawk07
2009-12-02, 12:24 PM
Daenir Round 3

With the path cleared Daenir drops from the rooftop and runs for the stone building
If needed tumble to reduce fall [roll0]
Then running for the building 160-ft speed

Firebeard
2009-12-02, 01:04 PM
With a series of powerful swings, Aranis finishes off the wounded goblin. The way is clear to the stone building for now, but the monsters coming from the rear and sides appear to have gotten over their reticence to come closer. A large humanoid with wings on its head howls in fury and signals the charge.

His fellow beasts appear to still be reluctant to get too near the house, but every eye is fixed on the party and in an apparent attempt to cut off any further retreat, the horde moves forward to intercept.

Fuzzies
2009-12-02, 04:10 PM
Jacelyn followed Daenir at full speed, stopping on the stairs next to the front door.

Jade_Tarem
2009-12-04, 04:56 PM
Aranis turns around and waves for everyone behind him to get moving. He starts backing toward the door of the stone mansion. "Come on, move it!"

((Move action to the door, no standard.))

Nox Lupus
2009-12-04, 05:03 PM
@GM

Free Spot- [roll0]

Looking the bodies in front of me over to see if there is anything of obvious worth or value (mythral shield, adamantien blade, sparklies, etc)

Firebeard
2009-12-04, 07:42 PM
Lorus turned and grabbed Solas' arm. "No time for looting, just run!" He and the monk rushed for the door. As they reach the the landing, all of you slam together against the door and it flies open, spilling you inside. Lorus quickly jumps up, gazed out the open door and then slammed it closed.

"They're just standing there. Not one of them got any closer than 20 feet to this door."

"That's because they know better than to disturb the Master." a voice calls from behind you.

You turn to see an old man behind an aged bar, idly wiping a glass with a white rag.

"Welcome travelers! We don't see many visitors these days. What'll it be? Food? Wine? Rooms? We have some empty rooms upstairs for guests. Will that be a room for each of you or a couple of larger rooms? I've got 2 that can sleep 3 each. On separate beds, even."

nighthawk07
2009-12-04, 08:54 PM
Daenir draws an arrow the moment the man speaks. He aims his bow at the man. "Aranis!" Daenir calls out to the paladin backing into the building. He glances around now and then to see if he can spot anything inside the building.

Nox Lupus
2009-12-04, 10:11 PM
"Daenir!" Solas looks evenly at his companion "Do you think it wise to draw weapons on the first being we've encountered on this island who hasn't tried to kill us on sight?"

Solas makes no further move...

Solas is holding his action from the round where Lorus dragged him to the mansion. Solas is holding, waiting to see if the old man begins to cast any spells.

Fuzzies
2009-12-04, 10:42 PM
"Master? Is he here? Is he the one that tortured those...those...creatures outside? Is he responsible for the pain and suffering out there? Where is he?"

Jade_Tarem
2009-12-04, 11:42 PM
Aranis backs all the way into the building. "Strange..."

He waits to hear the man's response to Jacelyn's question.

nighthawk07
2009-12-05, 12:52 AM
"Just because he hasn't tried to kill us yet doesn't mean he won't later." His grip on his bow or pull of on the string don't loosen up a single bit. Daenir wonders whether or not Aranis still has his detection spell active.

Firebeard
2009-12-05, 08:01 AM
Seeing the drawn bow, the old man says "Ease up there fella. I don't want any trouble. I was just offering you some food and rooms is all. This is an inn, after all. Food and rooms is what we do."

Looking at Jacelyn he replied "Of course not! The Master of this house is a great man. He is working on curing those poor creatures, not hurting them. A great man. A very great man!. He even lets me use his house as an inn for weary travelers washed upon the shores of this island."

Scrutinizing the five, his eyes narrow a bit. "Your clothes don't look as if you washed ashore at all. In fact, they don't look like they've ever seen the salt sea. Did you come off a ship? What in the Heavens' name for?"

Peering at you some more, he says "And is that blood on your weapons? You didn't hurt the poor souls outside did you? Is that why they are all riled up? The Master won't be happy about that, no he won't. Not at all. Well, no use worrying about it now. Gone to a better place they have."

"How about those rooms and that food, then?"

Nox Lupus
2009-12-07, 08:57 AM
"If that is your model for life, Daenir, you'll sooner run out of arrows than potential threats to your life." Solas spares a glance a reasuring smile for Daenir :smallsmile: before addressing the newcomer in the group's midst "Sir, if this house's Master truly seeks to cure those poor souls, then he can be counted as a friend to us. We apologize for having to send perhaps a dozen or so of those poor souls onto Kelemvor's judgement. We had little choice other than to slay them, the only other option they gave to us was to take their places in death.:smallfrown: I think, we would like to meet this Master before we could accept any of your hospitality...?

Solas looks about at the group for any other opinions on the matter, finishing his statement with a questioning tone directed more at his companions than their enigmatic host.

nighthawk07
2009-12-08, 12:42 AM
"I'd rather run out of arrows than be stabbed in the back but if you are so insistent on trusting this fellow then by all means." Daenir eases his pull and puts his arrow back in his quiver. They came here for information and since this man was the only speaking individual present might as well follow along even if it could be misinformation. But just to be certain Daenir keeps a watchful eye for anything afoul.
Sense Motive/Wisdom check on the old man: [roll1] another +4 if he uses arcane spells

(OOC: what does the inside of this building look like? Are there windows or lighting?)

Jade_Tarem
2009-12-08, 01:12 AM
After confirming that the creatures outside were not coming in, Aranis turns around, carefully scanning the man at the bar with his detection.

Firebeard
2009-12-08, 10:46 PM
Gazing around the room, you see a typical common room of an inn and tavern. Aside from being completely unoccupied - except for yourselves and the innkeeper - it could be any one of a hundred inns you have come across in your travels.

Facing into the moderately lit interior, you see the bar directly in front of you, a door to your left that looks like it might lead to the kitchens, a staircase leading upstairs to the private rooms and a door to your right that is closed.

It is to this door that the old man glances when he hears Solas' comment. Quickly looking back to you, he replies "The master is very busy at the moment and cannot possibly be disturbed. Rest assured he will come out to meet you after dinner, or perhaps on the morrow."

"Shall I bring out some food and ale then?

@Daenir

The old man appears to be genuinely interested in provided food and room for the night. Perhaps he is exactly what he seems.

@Aranis

There is no indication that this man is evil.

nighthawk07
2009-12-08, 11:10 PM
"Alright then, please excuse my manners but we met some hostilities on our way here so you can understand I would be a bit on edge. Water would suffice for me." Daenir says as he puts his bow away.

Nox Lupus
2009-12-09, 05:01 PM
Solas replies Hmmm, well if there is no objection from anyone about waiting... I suppose resting for a bit would be nice.

Solas falls in behind Daenir (as he appears to be the first to follow)...

QR-
Spot- taking 10= 19
Listen- taking 10= 19

trying to be aware of my surroundings; looking for and listening for anything that seems unusual. I trust you'll let me know if I notice something, :smallbiggrin:.

Fuzzies
2009-12-09, 06:28 PM
"Well, it's still a ways until nightfall, but I suppose we could stop for a good meal and rest before continuing on tomorrow. Do you have any golden wine, perhaps?" she asked the innkeeper. "And I suppose supper for 5?"

With that Jacelyn sat down at a table, facing the door, and began to compose her appearance. She truly disliked the strands of hair flying into her face after the battles and was intent to push them back under the hairbands where they belonged.

Meanwhile, she surreptitiously kept an eye on the innkeeper to see if he would inadvertently give up any more information about this place.

Firebeard
2009-12-09, 07:22 PM
"Water, eh?" The innkeeper gave Daenir the same kind of dirty look that bartenders all over the world yield for such a request. "As for the wine, milady, we have no golds left. But I do have a fair white that you might enjoy. I got it from the last trader to come through here, oh about a year ago."

"What about you two?" he asked of Solas and Aranis.

Jade_Tarem
2009-12-09, 09:05 PM
Aranis finally relaxes a bit and sits down rather heavily a few feet from Jacelyn. "The white sounds fine."

Nox Lupus
2009-12-09, 09:55 PM
Solas smiles at the bartender before shaking his head 'No' "Thank you, but I must decline." :smallsmile:

Firebeard
2009-12-09, 10:19 PM
"Very well. I'll be right back with your drinks." The old man heads for the kitchen and leaves you alone to talk amongst yourselves.

As Solas wanders around the common room, he spies a crumpled bit of parchment lying on the floor between the bar and the closed door leading to - presumably - the Master's quarters. Picking it up, he sees some scribbled numbers. (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/numbers.png)

Nox Lupus
2009-12-09, 11:08 PM
Solas briefly looks the paper scrap over...

Arcana chk- [roll0]

Solas assumes this to be some cryptic form of mathematics or spellcraft, but he wants to see if maybe he recognizes what it relates to.

...then tucks it into the folds of his gi.

Solas turns to the group. He approaches the table they are all seated at and (assuming there is room) places the bow he picked up during the fights on the table.

[OOC: don't know if its a long of short bow, but it is composite]

"Daenir, is this bow of superior quality to the one you carry? It seems to have quite a draw to it... heh:smallredface:, I cannot pull the bow string back hardly at all."

Solas gestures for Daenir to take a look.

Firebeard
2009-12-13, 01:28 PM
The old man walks back into the common room while Solas is showing the bow to Daenir. He is carrying a tray with a clear yellow wine bottle, 2 wine stems, a glass of water, and a clay pitcher with a matching set of small tankards.

"Brought ye some ale if'n you need it to wet your whistle. First pot's on the house, see'n as business has been so slow lately. Did ye decide on the rooms? One apiece, or the larger ones that sleep 3? If'n ye want the larger rooms at the end of the hall, there is a single across the way if'n the lady would prefer a room to herself."

"I'd offer ye baths, but I ain't seen the boy in months. He just disappeared on me, and me old back ain't up to hauling water up the stairs any more. Course, if'n ye be wantin' them anyways, you could haul the water yourselves. I wouldn't even charge ya for the soap. Heh!"

Setting the drinks down on the table in front of the group, he looked askance at the bow in Solas' hands. "Took that off one of the poor beasties outside did ya? I'd leave it in the room if you go to meet the Master tomorrow. It might not put him in the best of moods. It tears him up something fierce that he hasn't cured them yet."

Fuzzies
2009-12-13, 08:24 PM
While the old man was in the back, Jacelyn said to the others "Do you think we should wait until tomorrow to see this 'Master'? Perhaps tonight would be better. The sun is just now beginning to kiss the horizon." She looked at the others.

"Besides, no matter how friendly this guy is, he still hasn't explained why those monsters are out there in such numbers and why they left us alone when we entered this building. I am not sure I believe that a night here would be restful."

She quickly stopped talking as the old man reentered the room. Thanking him for the wine, she delicately sniffed the bouquet and then tasted the wine. Surprised, she exclaimed "This is quite good! Where did you say it came from?"

Nox Lupus
2009-12-13, 09:40 PM
While waiting for Daenir to finish evaluating the bow, Solas turns toward Jacelyn and nods his agreement.

"I agree, our unknown host must be very powerful if the horde on his doorstep won't dare so much as a rock thrown through a window... However, I see few other alternatives given our current situation. We would face a horrendous battle to get back to the beach now that those poor abominations know we're in here. We also know nothing more about this island, so charging inland would be just as unwise. Perhaps we should take advantage of a 3-person room the bartender mentioned, I will be happy to stand watch for the evening.:smallsmile:

nighthawk07
2009-12-13, 09:54 PM
Daenir pulls on the string a little and seems to struggle a little. He begins turning it over here and there and weighs it in his hands.
"This is a fine bow. However it was meant for someone of greater strength than I." He then puts the bow back down. "Perhaps Aranis could make some use of it. I would assume a paladin would be versed in different kinds of arms."

Jade_Tarem
2009-12-13, 09:56 PM
Aranis smiles. "It is..." he taps the bow strapped to his back. "...unlikely that a compound bow taken from one of the twisted creatures outside would be a better match for me than this one."

Nox Lupus
2009-12-13, 09:58 PM
Removing the quiver from his belt, Solas adds Either way, whoever can best make use of these, they are yours.

Solas places a quiver with 13 arrows in it on a section of the table not occupied by either food or drink.

Firebeard
2009-12-15, 01:13 PM
"Lady, the wine came from a Merchanter that passed this way, oh about a year or so ago. Said it was from the Isles, wherever they be. Don't know a lot about the outside world. Been on this here island since I was a boy. Shipwrecked my first voyage out. Thought I would die, before I washed up on the beach on the other side of the island."

"The Master found me...saved me actually. I was about to get eaten by this enormous bear and he just walked up to it, laid his hand on it, and the beast ran off whimpering like a cub. Brought me here to look after his home, and let me turn it into an inn of sorts."

"Bah! that was all long ago, and you were asking about the wine. And food too perhaps? I have some squabs roasting that should be done in a bit. Some apples and cheese as well, though we are out of bread."

He squinted at the group and chewed his cheek for a few seconds before continuing "What exactly brings you to this island? Lost? I doubt it, you look too well equipped to be shipwrecked. Searching for gold and gems? Plenty of that here, if you can convince the beasts and beings to give it to you. Something else? Something...arcane?" His eyes twinkle as he says the last words, and you wonder what the old man knows.

Nox Lupus
2009-12-15, 01:19 PM
Solas raises an eyebrow at the old man's rambling explanation turned question...:smallconfused:

@GM

Sense Motive: [roll0]

Nox Lupus
2009-12-15, 01:25 PM
"...You are either an exceptionally good or poor bartender, friend, to believe you have gleaned our purpose for being here in so short a time?"

Solas' tone changes quickly from suspicious to its usualy light, friendly tenor

"Come sir, please sit with us, we would hear what you can tell us of your island." looking around, "Clearly we have arrived at your establishment before its busy time of day, I would hope you can spare us the time and the telling? :smallsmile:

Firebeard
2009-12-15, 01:39 PM
@Nox

As far as you can tell, he is just an old innkeeper, interested in his guests.

Fuzzies
2009-12-15, 10:36 PM
"If you gentlemen would like, I have a Detect Magic spell ready to go. I could take a look at that bow now and at least see if it is more than it appears."

Nox Lupus
2009-12-15, 10:46 PM
Handing the bow to Jacelyn, "Please"

Firebeard
2009-12-16, 08:01 AM
Hearing these words, the old man hastily stood up and said "I imagine the squabs are about done. I'll go and check on them. Madam, you might want to wait until after you dine to do spellwork. Upsets the stomach, it does."

Nox Lupus
2009-12-16, 08:54 AM
:smalleek:...:smallconfused:

Solas leans into Aranis...

@Aranis

My friend, if I might ask a favor of you. Would you mind keeping your discerning eyes on our patron for the next few minutes... I fear his sanity may be in doubt, and thus his intentions for us.

...:smallwink:

Fuzzies
2009-12-16, 09:41 AM
"Magic upsets me not at all." Taking the bow, Jacelyn bent her will upon it trying to discern any magical auras.

casting Detect Magic. Will last 6 minutes.

Firebeard
2009-12-16, 10:16 AM
Quickly the old man begins to head for the door to the kitchens. "I'll be back in a bit with the food." He closes the door behind him as he goes, something he hasn't done in the entire time you have been in the inn.

@Jacelyn

You get a sense of magic in the room. As you concentrate, you notice that the aura comes not from the bow in front of you, but from the direction the innkeeper went. The more you focus, it appears that you can almost see the faint trail of the man's footsteps. Clearly he was the source of a very powerful enchantment.

Nox Lupus
2009-12-16, 11:13 AM
Noting Jacelyn finish the spell, Solas asks Anything interesting?

Jade_Tarem
2009-12-16, 12:05 PM
Aranis

Aranis just looks at Solas for a second, then gets up with a nod to follow the innkeeper.

Firebeard
2009-12-16, 02:02 PM
Just in case, Lorus gets up and follows Aranis after the innkeeper.

As they near the closed door, they hear a soft "pop" and then silence. Lorus nodded at Aranis and then pushed the door open. Looking inside they find that the old man is nowhere to be seen.

"He's gone" said Lorus, and then rushed inside to examine the kitchen area. There were 6 squabs roasting over the fire on a spit. A few kettles hanging on hooks, and the usual odds and ends of cookware present in every kitchen. the pantry contained only food and such. The cellar entrance was closed.

Looking into the cellar, Aranis and Lorus find only bottle and barrels, some vegetables and meat left to hang. But nowhere was there any sight of the old man. He was just gone.

Nox Lupus
2009-12-16, 02:36 PM
"Is there a cellar door or somewhere he might be hiding?" A hint of concern creeps into Solas' voice.

Fuzzies
2009-12-16, 03:07 PM
"The bow isn't magic, but that old man surely was! He left behind an aura strong enough for me to follow." Standing, Jacelyn begins to follow the trail of magical energy back to the kitchen door and past Lorus and Aranis.

Jade_Tarem
2009-12-16, 03:24 PM
Aranis strolls casually after Lorus, thinking.

"Jacelyn... there are magics that simply create servants, or even people. Some of them are excellent conversationalists. Do you suppose our innkeeper might be no more than a spell?"

Fuzzies
2009-12-16, 05:09 PM
"The trail ends here, in this open space. As for a conjured servant, no this aura is from a strong Illusion spell. Maybe more than one. I suspect it might have been a disguise spell...appearance? Maybe, or alignment. I couldn't get a read on it." Jacelyn stands with her hands on her hips, looking around the room as if the old man were hiding above the cupboards.

"Well, what now? I don't like the thought of just hanging out here. Not with that old man - or whatever - moving about the place." With a look of concentration on her face she says "Do you think that could have been the 'Master' in disguise?"

Jade_Tarem
2009-12-16, 05:34 PM
Aranis shakes his head. "Too cliche."

Nox Lupus
2009-12-17, 08:27 AM
Solas stands from his seat at the table "What do we do now. With the sanity of our host now in serious doubt, and the mob at his doorstep, I'm at a loss for what our next move should be.":smallannoyed:

Solas looks around the room for other exits and (if there are windows), goes to see what is going on outside.

Firebeard
2009-12-17, 09:45 AM
Solas pokes his head into the cellar and pantry, confirming that they are indeed empty. There is a door leading outside towards the back of the building, ostensibly where the cooking firewood is brought in and out, along with the other supplies for the inn. The door is locked and barred. There are no windows in the kitchen area.

Fuzzies
2009-12-18, 08:03 AM
"Why don't we search the house. We'll either find the old man and get some answers, or maybe run into the 'Master'...if he really exists. For that matter, why not start in that office area on the other side of the common room? You saw how the old man glanced that direction earlier."

Nox Lupus
2009-12-18, 09:50 AM
"Good idea Jacelyn, :smallsmile:, Aranis, would you mind taking a "look" first... oh and Jacelyn, is your Detect Magic spell still up?

Firebeard
2009-12-18, 10:16 AM
"Good idea Jacelyn, :smallsmile:, Aranis, would you mind taking a "look" first... oh and Jacelyn, is your Detect Magic spell still up?

I would estimate she has about 3 minutes left on Detect magic.

Jade_Tarem
2009-12-18, 12:35 PM
"Certainly."

Aranis looks around with his detection again. In fact, he keeps it on until they've stopped searching.

Firebeard
2009-12-20, 12:43 PM
Neither Jacelyn or Aranix pick up on anything unusual as they search the kitchen, and then the common room. As you get to the door indicated by the old man as the Master's office, you feel something not quite right inside. There is no obvious aura of evil, or of magic, but something still doesn't feel normal. The door itself is locked.

Fuzzies
2009-12-23, 09:14 AM
"There's nothing obviously magical in there, but there's a vague sense of...something. I dunno. Mayhaps our Scout can do something about this locked door? Or maybe Aranis just shears through the lock? It's not as if the owner is likely to complain about the damage at this stage."

Jade_Tarem
2009-12-23, 01:59 PM
Aranis considers. "I'm not sure... my experience has been that landlords are likely to complain about damage at any stage. But if you feel that this is the best course of action, I'll give it a go..."

Aranis pulls out his sword and rests it point-down on the floor, his hands on the pommel.

Nox Lupus
2009-12-30, 09:32 AM
Solas steps forward to examine the lock...

Firebeard
2009-12-30, 06:02 PM
The lock stubbornly refuses to be examined. In fact, it hides itself behind a Macbook and sips a cup of coffee, deliberately avoiding eye contact.

Edit: Oops, feeling a little whimsical this evening. Please forgive me. And now back to our regularly scheduled mayhem.

As far as Solas can see, it is a perfectly normal locked door, though admittedly he is no expert.

Nox Lupus
2010-01-04, 12:27 PM
Hmm, well I'm stumped... obviously we don't have the key. Do we take a less destructive tact and examine the rest of the mansion first, or charge head long into whatever 'fun' awaits us on the other side of this door?

Fuzzies
2010-01-06, 09:43 PM
"Might as well just cut through it. We can always pay for it afterwards if necessary. I don't like this. Not at all. Our best chance for answers about this place probably lies in that room."

Jacelyn stood back to give Aranis some room. This business with the spellwarped creatures and disappearing host had her feeling uneasy. The vague sensations of magic from behind this door did nothing to ease her mind.

Jade_Tarem
2010-01-10, 11:33 AM
"Well, if you say so..."

Aranis sinks into an awkward semi-crouch to give himself enough room. Then he brings his greatsword around and through the lock.

Attack Roll (Power Attack 5): [roll0]
Damage Roll (Power Attack 5): [roll1]

Jade_Tarem
2010-01-10, 11:35 AM
And then another, because of nat 1's.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Firebeard
2010-01-11, 12:18 PM
On the second swing, Aranis' blade shears through the lock with ease. The door swings slightly ajar with the momentum of the strike. Pushing the door open, you step into a large library, with shelves of books on 3 sides (including the one containing the door you stepped through). The books are covered in cloth and leather of all colors, some in extreme disrepair and some looking almost new.

The 4th wall has a small cabinet, a large rolltop desk with the lid closed, and a door in it. The area around the desk looks to be clean and uncluttered. By the dust on the chair seat, it is obvious that no one has been seated there for some time...perhaps a month or more. It is hard to gauge.

Stepping up to the door, you can see that it is made of wood, with the hinges on the other side. There is no door knob or handle, and no obvious means of opening the door. However, as you approach the door a blue shimmer attracts your attention. Set in the door at approximately chest height is a panel with a grid of blue crystals and metal knobs. (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnDoor1.png)

Fuzzies
2010-01-11, 07:22 PM
Jacelyn stepped in closer to take a look at the device on the door. "What is it?"

Knowledge checks to see if I can tell anything about the crystals

[roll0]
[roll1]

Also, does my Detect Magic sense anything?

Firebeard
2010-01-11, 10:31 PM
@Jacelyn

Your Detect Magic gives you the sense of something indeterminately magical about the door itself. It seems that this is what you had sensed from the other room. It is not clear though what exactly the magic effect might be.

Try as you might, the sight of the crystals and knobs doesn't evoke any stray facts from your memory.

Fuzzies
2010-01-12, 08:16 AM
"There's definitely magic involved here, but I can't make out any specifics. It's possible the magic itself is obscuring its purpose. Without more time and some costly rituals though, I can't make out any more. What do you guys think?"

Nox Lupus
2010-01-12, 01:46 PM
"Hmm, I'm not sure" Solas says as he approaches Jacelyn "But this may be the key to opening it..." Solas pulls the scrap of paper he found on the floor earlier in the tavern room.

Solas attempts to rotate the knobs to see if anything happens...

Firebeard
2010-01-12, 01:49 PM
Solas hesitantly reaches out and grasps the upper left knob, ready to snatch his hand back at the first sign of danger. The knob turns easily, and as it reaches horizontal, the long ends of the knob touch both the top left and top middle crystals. A soft 'click' can be heard.

Nox Lupus
2010-01-12, 02:06 PM
"Hmmm, okay then... lets, try, this...

Solas begins to turn knobs trying get the crystals to "touch" each other via the direction of the knobs "crossbar".

okay so, when Solas is done the links between crystals should look like this

O-O|O
-- -/-|
O|O-O
|-/- -|
O-O-O

Edit: Please ignore the periods, they are just place holders. I couldn't get it to post properly with just spaces.
Edit to the edit- this should be a more accurate depiction of how ALL the knobs will look once Solas is done.

Firebeard
2010-01-13, 08:00 AM
As Solas turns the knobs, a sense of tension fills the group. As the last one clicks into place everyone holds their breath. Solas finishes the combination and pushes gently on the door...

The door does not move.

Nox Lupus
2010-01-13, 08:22 AM
"Hmm" Solas steps back to concider how else he might approach this puzzle. Holding the scrap of paper (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/numbers.png)in his hand (so that everyone can see it) he stares hard at the lock.

Nox Lupus
2010-01-13, 08:32 AM
He tries another variation, where the number of connections between crystals matches the numbers on the scrap...

O|O-O
- \--|
O|O-O
|-/--|
O-O-O