PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Simple Q&A for Pathfinder 2: Find Harder

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

Yora
2013-06-10, 11:39 AM
Q247: Is there a wondrous item that works like a spell storing weapon?

gr8artist
2013-06-10, 03:08 PM
Regarding 247: Can you be a bit more specific what you're looking for? A stick that stores a spell up to a certain level, that you can tap against something and release its effect instantly (no UMD check necessary?)
If so, I've never heard of one. But again, I'm not sure what you're asking.

Also, why not post your questions in one block, instead of spreading them out?

ellindsey
2013-06-10, 03:47 PM
Q248: Does brown mold's ability to absorb heat and increase in size work in an antimagic field?

JusticeZero
2013-06-10, 04:38 PM
Q249: If a character with a low Strength uses a two handed weapon, is their strength penalty multiplied by 1.5 like a bonus would be?

Keneth
2013-06-10, 07:09 PM
A248 I would think a brown mold's abilities are extraordinary. So yes, it should work in antimagic field.

A249 No, only a bonus is multiplied.

Cieyrin
2013-06-10, 08:57 PM
A 246+ While I can't find a clause in PF, Keneth's statement does have support in 3.5 that cold or fire resistance inures you to a cold or hot environment.

Q 249+ Does a damage penalty get multiplied on a critical hit or other instance of a multiplier, like a Spirited Charge?

Yora
2013-06-11, 02:56 AM
A249b: Yes. Basically you roll damage twice.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-06-11, 03:36 PM
Q250: Can I cast spells from my shadow while I am using Shadow Projection (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/shadow-projection)?

Keneth
2013-06-11, 05:47 PM
@250 See A236 on the previous page.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-06-12, 03:31 PM
Q251: How do natural attacks interact with BAB? For example, can a level 1 roc animal companion (who has three primary natural attacks) make only one on a full attack because it has BAB +1 (and it can't use another until BAB +6/+1), or can it make all its natural attacks from the get-go?

Q252: Do natural attacks get iteratives the same way regular attacks do?

Keneth
2013-06-12, 04:16 PM
A251 You can make any and all natural attacks when performing a full attack. The only exception are natural attacks with the same limb (and the exception to the exception seems to be the head since you can gore and bite at the same time). For example if you have both claw and slam attacks, you pick either one or the other. You won't encounter such a case with animal companions though, not unless you find a way to give them more natural attacks.

A252 No, because you can use all of them from the start. Animal companions with fewer than three attacks do get a second attack with their primary attack instead of multiattack at 8HD (9th level), but this is an ability exclusive to animal companions.

You should also note the distinction between primary and secondary natural weapons. Secondary attacks get -5 to attack and receive only half the creature's Strength bonus on damage rolls.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-06-12, 06:35 PM
Q 253 (sorry to keep bothering you, Keneth) Do tertiary natural attacks exist? Someone told me they did, but now I can't find them.

Cieyrin
2013-06-12, 06:53 PM
A 253 No, there's just primary and secondary.

Dr.Gara
2013-06-12, 09:17 PM
Q 254 What happens if I have a wizard familiar, then multi-class into witch, who also gets a familiar?

Yora
2013-06-13, 01:17 AM
A254: You add your number of class levels in wizard and witch together, to get the effective level of your familiar level. A wizard 6/witch 3 would have a familiar like a 9th level wizard. However, the familiar obviously only keeps witch spells according only to the witch level.

Levels of different classes that are entitled to familiars stack for the purpose of determining any familiar abilities that depend on the master's level.

Urpriest
2013-06-14, 09:43 AM
Q 255

What classes, prestige classes, and archetypes stack with Paladin levels for the purpose of Smite Evil?

Keneth
2013-06-15, 07:08 AM
A255 After a quick look: Inheritor's Crusader and Champion of Irori. Those are the only two that explicitly state that the levels stack (since they do not by default).

Silus
2013-06-15, 11:02 AM
Q256: Are there rules for creating mobs (of the angry, pitchfork wielding kind), and if so, where might I locate these rules?

Addi
2013-06-15, 11:32 AM
Q257: Do I get any bonus languages from an increased intelligence score after level 1? I can't find a source that's backing this up.

powerdemon
2013-06-15, 11:37 AM
Q 258
What is the crit range on a Keened 18-20 weapon? Is it 15-20?

Yora
2013-06-15, 11:40 AM
A259: Correct. Instead of 3 numbers, it increases to 6 numbers on a d20 (15-20).

Cieyrin
2013-06-15, 04:14 PM
A 257 Given you don't retroactively gain or lose skill points with Int changes, as well as the fact you only get bonus languages at the beginning of the game, it's reasonable to say that Int changes afterwards don't make you gain or lose languages. The second part is covered by this:

You apply your character's Intelligence modifer to: The number of bonus languages your character knows at the start of the game.

powerdemon
2013-06-15, 04:22 PM
A 257 Given you don't retroactively gain or lose skill points with Int changes...

Actually you do get retroactive skill points. From the pfsrd.org:

Permanent Bonuses: Ability bonuses with a duration greater than 1 day actually increase the relevant ability score after 24 hours. Modify all skills and statistics as appropriate. This might cause you to gain skill points, hit points, and other bonuses. These bonuses should be noted separately in case they are removed.

And from James Jacobs:

"All bonuses are retroactive when an ability score increases, be they bonuses to damage, to skill ranks, to hit points, to saves, to skill checks... all of them. Skill ranks not being retroactive are a 3.5 convention we specifically removed from the game because it was a weird exception to the rule, and since now there are no exceptions to this rule, there's no need to specifically state that skill ranks are retroactively granted if your Intelligence goes up."

Cieyrin
2013-06-15, 06:23 PM
A 257+ Hrm, interesting. Still kinda difficult to pull off, given the Int-boosting Headbands, the most common source of permanent bonus, all provide a skill they boost instead of retroactive skill points. Be that as it may, that doesn't change the clause of 'At the start of the game,' which happens a total of once in a character's life. You don't suddenly find yourself speaking French or Sylvan by making yourself smarter, you gotta study that stuff, which I guess would be covered by investing in Linguistics in this case.

Q 259 Can you take both Squire (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/squire) and Torchbearer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/torchbearer)?

Q 259b What happens when their Graduation clauses occur and you have 2 Leadership feats?

Keneth
2013-06-15, 09:58 PM
A256 Not as far as I know. You can make pitchfork-wielding mob as a unit with mass combat rules, but I don't know of any rules that do it outside of that system. You'd have to homebrew a bit.

A257 Depends on the source of the increase. Headbands of Vast Intelligence have been stated to come with a predefined bonus language in much the same way as they come with predefined bonus skill points. As for other, more "natural" increases, I've seen it ruled both ways. There's nothing specifically stated in RAW, but personally I view it as a capacity to learn a new language. Ultimate Campaign includes explicit rules for learning a new language (20 days with a trainer or appropriate material), so I think that's the most natural way to go. Then again, you also get skill points, which you can throw into Linguistics and automagically learn a dozen new languages, so maybe going about it "naturally" doesn't really make sense in D&D. :smallbiggrin:

A259a Since these feats are subject to GM's approval, the most correct answer would be "you shouldn't be allowed to." But yes, technically you can take both.

A259b You cannot receive the same feat twice. Since there are no provisions made for characters with the Leadership feat, both of those feats merge into Leadership, effectively depriving you of a feat.

Addi
2013-06-16, 04:38 PM
Q 260:
Is it possible to deliberately craft cursed items? There are no item costs and requirements given in the item entries.
The SRD says:

Cursed items are almost never made intentionally.
...but I want to.

Keneth
2013-06-16, 04:45 PM
A260 Yes, it's possible, but there are no rules for doing so.

Occasional Sage
2013-06-17, 04:19 AM
Q261

Does the Halfling Opportunist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/halfling-opportunist)'s Exploitive Maneuver trigger AoOs? Why or why not?

Addi
2013-06-17, 05:48 AM
A 261:
The easy part:
It doesn't say otherwise, so you definitely provoke an AoO if the associated action on your own turn does.
For example if you try to jump out of a threatened square, you take one AoO.

The difficult part:
Attempting a combat maneuver normally provokes an AoO.
Luckily your action is not a Combat Maneuver, but a Combat Maneuver check. You don't actually use one of the listed Combat Maneuvers so you don't provoke.
Additionally your Combat Maneuver check is an Immediate Action and those don't normally provoke AoOs.

gr8artist
2013-06-17, 11:02 AM
Q 262
Are there any abilities/features/feats/items that will allow me to make attacks of opportunity in response to enemies becoming hindered by my own combat maneuvers?
I want to use an AoO to trip/reposition/disarm/etc., then follow that up with a provoked attack. Assume that reach, combat reflexes, and anything else necessary is readily available.

Keneth
2013-06-17, 11:21 AM
A262 Greater Maneuver feats that result in the enemy moving (Greater Trip, Greater Reposition, etc.) generally cause the enemy to provoke an AoO. There's also Vicious Stomp that works well if you have unarmed attacks (but it's a pretty big feat investment).

Urpriest
2013-06-17, 12:14 PM
Q 263

Are there any archetypes that grant Smite to non-Paladins?

Karoht
2013-06-17, 06:22 PM
Q 263
Sidenote:
I was unable to find any Archetypes in expected places like Inquisitor or Cleric.
But I thought I would mention the spell Bestow Grace of Champion (I'm sure Urpriest is aware of it, and I'm sure someone else will mention it)
For the cost of a 4th level scroll, and the requirement of a Lawful Good target, anyone can have Smite Evil, Lay on Hands, Immunity to Fear and Disease, and get Charisma to Saves.
You get one Smite Evil per casting and one Lay on Hands per casting, both function as a Paladin of half your class level. I don't believe that Mercy's apply as such.

Urpriest
2013-06-17, 08:36 PM
Sidenote:
I was unable to find any Archetypes in expected places like Inquisitor or Cleric.
But I thought I would mention the spell Bestow Grace of Champion (I'm sure Urpriest is aware of it, and I'm sure someone else will mention it)
For the cost of a 4th level scroll, and the requirement of a Lawful Good target, anyone can have Smite Evil, Lay on Hands, Immunity to Fear and Disease, and get Charisma to Saves.
You get one Smite Evil per casting and one Lay on Hands per casting, both function as a Paladin of half your class level. I don't believe that Mercy's apply as such.

I'd seen that before, but I had forgotten about it, and it actually helps a lot with what I'm thinking of. Thanks!

Turtlefun
2013-06-17, 11:37 PM
Q264: My gf's witch recently acquired a Dire Bat and an amulet that allows her to control it, from a fallen foe. Can it perform coup de grace's?

Yora
2013-06-18, 02:30 AM
A264: When an enemy is in a situation where anyone can make a Coup de Grace against it, then the dire bat can of course do so.

Occasional Sage
2013-06-18, 02:37 AM
Q 263

There is also the Chevalier (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/c-d/chevalier) PrC; its Smite keys off full character level, though only once per day.

Cieyrin
2013-06-18, 06:45 AM
Q 265 When a Monk with the Ki Mystic and Monk of the Sacred Mountain archetypes gains the Vow of Silence ability, can they still use Mystic Insight without actually speaking to maintain Vow of Silence's bonus?

Karoht
2013-06-18, 02:02 PM
Q266: Unwilling Shield + Shield Other
So I pictured some Necromancy wizard or a witch being evil, and packing around a minion or hostage just for this purpose. Witches cook people and eat them if they want, this could be some poor schmuck she's captured, dominated in some fashion, and is carrying around in a bag or forcing this person to walk along with her. Wizard could have an undead minion or again, some form of undead (intelligent, perhaps a Juju Zombie).
Step 1-The minion casts Shield Other on the Wizard/Witch. Minion may or may not be undead.
Step 2-The Wizard/Witch casts Unwilling Shield onto this Minion.
Step 3-The Wizard ends up taking a bunch of damage. For easy math's sake, lets say it works out to 100 damage before any form of Damage Reduction or Resistances on either the minion or the Wizard are accounted for.
Also assume the Wizard/Witch and the Minion/Hostage have 110 hit points each.
Q-How much damage do each party take?

AttilaTheGeek
2013-06-18, 03:17 PM
Q267: If I use Smite Evil (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin#TOC-Smite-Evil-Su-) with a nonlethal weapon, is the extra smite damage nonlethal?

If this target is evil, the paladin adds her Cha bonus (if any) to her attack rolls and adds her paladin level to all damage rolls made against the target of her smite. If the target of smite evil is an outsider with the evil subtype, an evil-aligned dragon, or an undead creature, the bonus to damage on the first successful attack increases to 2 points of damage per level the paladin possesses.

fluke1993
2013-06-19, 07:46 PM
Q: 268: Dumb question but
Dragon Ferocity (Combat)
You attack with the strength of a dragon, your telling blows
striking fear into your enemies.
Prerequisites: Str 15, Improved Unarmed Strike, Dragon
Style, Stunning Fist, Acrobatics 5 ranks.
Benefit: While using Dragon Style, you gain a bonus on
unarmed strike damage rolls equal to half your Strength
bonus. When you score a critical hit or a successful
Stunning Fist attempt against an opponent while using
this style, that opponent is also shaken for a number of
rounds equal to 1d4 + your Strength bonus.
If I crit with a weapon (say a scimitar), do I still get to shaken the target?

Cieyrin
2013-06-19, 08:18 PM
A 266 Would appear that the Witch takes 25 and the minion 75.

A 267 It doesn't specify your holy energies are lethal, so you can definitely play Batman and take criminals in alive to face justice.

A 268 Yes.

Keneth
2013-06-19, 08:51 PM
A265 No, the ability is explicitly verbal advice. If you can't speak, you can't use it.

A266+ Funny thing is, the rules state that multipliers always work off the original value. But things just get weird when you start using fractions, so I agree with Cieyrin, it should probably be 25% and 75%.

Free suggestion: At our table, divisors stack the same way as multipliers, so if x2 and x2 equals x3, then /2 and /2 equals /3.

Occasional Sage
2013-06-19, 11:06 PM
Q269

There is nothing in the text of the Overrun maneuver limiting targets other than by size; what other rules keep me from beating a flying foe's CMD by 5+ and knocking them to the ground, prone?

Keneth
2013-06-20, 05:25 AM
A269 There's nothing stopping you from overruning a flying creature, aside from it being ridiculous, but there are no rules dictating what happens if you attempt that. The creature certainly doesn't get knocked to the ground. I suppose it would count as "Attacked While Flying" (unlike Bull Rush, which would cause a collision), even though you generally don't take damage, but that would only affect creatures with wings, and even they wouldn't plummet down with only a DC 10 check (I would recommend the DC being equal to your CMB check instead). If the creature is using magical flight, however, nothing much really happens. Creatures can't be knocked prone in the air.

In 3.5, a flying creature that got tripped, overrun, or otherwise knocked prone, stalled. In Pathfinder, flying creatures can't be tripped at all, and the rules are silent on the rest.

Occasional Sage
2013-06-20, 06:57 AM
A269 There's nothing stopping you from overruning a flying creature, aside from it being ridiculous, but there are no rules dictating what happens if you attempt that. The creature certainly doesn't get knocked to the ground. I suppose it would count as "Attacked While Flying" (unlike Bull Rush, which would cause a collision), even though you generally don't take damage, but that would only affect creatures with wings, and even they wouldn't plummet down with only a DC 10 check (I would recommend the DC being equal to your CMB check instead). If the creature is using magical flight, however, nothing much really happens. Creatures can't be knocked prone in the air.

In 3.5, a flying creature that got tripped, overrun, or otherwise knocked prone, stalled. In Pathfinder, flying creatures can't be tripped at all, and the rules are silent on the rest.

If the rules are silent on an aerial overrun, what RAW supports your answer? That sounds like a reasonable RAI, but.

Keneth
2013-06-20, 09:30 AM
A269+ There is no explicit RAW for aerial overruns because in the vast majority of cases it's not something one would consider doing. But aside from my recommendations on what should happen, most of what I said is RAW. You can't fall prone while flying, as an extension you also can't trip a flying creature, and magical flight requires no checks for taking damage or colliding with something. You would generally be able to use overrun in flight to break through a group of enemies, but strictly by RAW, nothing much else happens when you overrun a flying creature, unless your overrun maneuver also deals damage or has some other secondary effect that doesn't rely on a creature falling prone.

Pathfinder is also purposefully quiet on third dimension combat because of the complexity and cost required to include all the rules in a book, and the lack of use thereof by many of the groups.

Karoht
2013-06-20, 09:42 AM
A265 No, the ability is explicitly verbal advice. If you can't speak, you can't use it.

A266+ Funny thing is, the rules state that multipliers always work off the original value. But things just get weird when you start using fractions, so I agree with Cieyrin, it should probably be 25% and 75%.

Free suggestion: At our table, divisors stack the same way as multipliers, so if x2 and x2 equals x3, then /2 and /2 equals /3.
Nifty.

Yeah, picture some old hag with a massive hunch back hump on her back. She cackles madly. A big bad Barbarian charges her. The hump goes "POP! Whiiiiiiistle" in a cartoon manner.
Still a great way for a caster to take less hitpoint damage.

Acora
2013-06-20, 11:54 AM
Q270 So maybe I'm just really damn tired and therefore am reading everything incorrectly, but it appears that Fullplate has a higher max dexterity bonus, lower armor check penalty, and lower arcane spell failure chance that Half-plate. Is this correct? If so, if there any reason for this? It seems entirely counter-intuitive.

Yora
2013-06-20, 01:28 PM
A270: That is correct. Full-plate is pretty much superior to half-plate in every way. But incredibly expensive compared to all the other types of armor as well.

JeenLeen
2013-06-20, 02:43 PM
Q271: Are there any feats, Traits, or racial subs/archetypes that increase one's carrying capacity?

Basically, any way to do it at char-gen or close to char-gen besides increasing one's Strength.

Acora
2013-06-20, 07:24 PM
A270: That is correct. Full-plate is pretty much superior to half-plate in every way. But incredibly expensive compared to all the other types of armor as well.

I... Okay. It just doesn't make sense to me, but ah well.

Q272 Is there any benefit to making a weapon out of mithril?

Cieyrin
2013-06-20, 07:41 PM
I... Okay. It just doesn't make sense to me, but ah well.

Full plate, unlike other armor, is fitted to the individual wielder, so it's balanced and distributed to work for you and no one else. Full plate not made for you has to be retrofitted, you don't just shove a guy out of it and put it on and get the benefits.

A 271 Not exactly what you're looking for but masterwork backpacks, due to superior weight distribution, increase your Strength by 1 for carrying capacity purposes.

A 272 It's half weight and treated as a silver weapon for piercing DR without the damage penalty.

Acora
2013-06-20, 07:48 PM
Full plate, unlike other armor, is fitted to the individual wielder, so it's balanced and distributed to work for you and no one else. Full plate not made for you has to be retrofitted, you don't just shove a guy out of it and put it on and get the benefits.

A 271 Not exactly what you're looking for but masterwork backpacks, due to superior weight distribution, increase your Strength by 1 for carrying capacity purposes.

A 272 It's half weight and treated as a silver weapon for piercing DR without the damage penalty.
Ah, okay. That clarifies things significantly.

Last question for now, I promise.

Q273 If a character were to use two weapons, both of them enchanted with Speed, would he get an extra attack with each weapon? If so, what penalties would these attacks be made at?

Keneth
2013-06-20, 08:04 PM
A271+ While I can't think of any inherent ways to increase your carrying capacity other than increasing your Strength (although a voice in the back of my head tells me there's a trait for it), there are a lot of fairly cheap ways to go about carrying more stuff around. As mentioned, a masterwork backpack increases your effective Strength score by 1, pack animals (or hired laborers) are also very cheap for stuff you don't need to carry on your person. Once you get a level or two, handy haversacks are pretty standard business, and a cheaper (but less handy) item are the muleback cords which give you a +8 effective Strength bonus that basically increases your carrying capacity by a factor of 3. Being large or a quadruped also increases one's carrying capacity, though this isn't relevant to players in most cases. On the magical side, ant haul again triples one's carrying capacity, and it's a very long lasting spell.

A273 See A238 for the answer to a similar question.

Occasional Sage
2013-06-20, 08:23 PM
Q270 So maybe I'm just really damn tired and therefore am reading everything incorrectly, but it appears that Fullplate has a higher max dexterity bonus, lower armor check penalty, and lower arcane spell failure chance that Half-plate. Is this correct? If so, if there any reason for this? It seems entirely counter-intuitive.

EDIT: redundant, removed.

BrackenAlistair
2013-06-21, 01:16 AM
Q 274:
If rogue with knife master (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/paizo---rogue-archetypes/knife-master) archeotype (d8 sneakattack with knifes, d4 with rest of the weapons) takes levels of vivisectionist (which also grants sneak attack) do the knife master ability modifies the sneak attack dice gained from vivisectionist?

Drelua
2013-06-21, 01:57 AM
A 274

Yes. The Knife Master ability says it modifies all Sneak Attack damage dice, not just Sneak Attack gained from Rogue levels. I would assume this was intended given that the designers had to be aware of the Assassin PrC.

Zherog
2013-06-21, 09:19 AM
A 271+

If third party material is allowed, there is a feat in Unusual Suspects by Frog God Games that increases your Strength score by (I believe) 4 only for purposes of calculating your carrying capacity.

Yora
2013-06-21, 12:27 PM
Q275: Is there a feat that lets other classes gain a familiar?

Keneth
2013-06-21, 01:30 PM
A275 Eldritch Heritage (arcane bloodline) nets you the Arcane Bond class feature at character level -2. Unfortunately it also requires that you have Skill Focus for any Knowledge Skill, so it's not exactly a cheap way of getting a familiar.

There are also a bunch of archetypes and selectable class features that allow many classes to have familiars (though usually limited in choice).

weckar
2013-06-21, 07:43 PM
Q276:
a. Can the feats extending Improved Unarmed Strike (Ex: Belier's Bite) still be used when using gauntlets?

b. If I propose this to my GM, should I expect a RAW/RAI conflict?

Keneth
2013-06-21, 08:08 PM
A276 No, gauntlets are weapons.

Fenryr
2013-06-22, 10:32 PM
Q277

About Race Points (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/arg-creating-new-races). A Human may get the racial +2 and get the Flexible Ability Score Modifier Quality? Is there any reason it's not possible?

Keneth
2013-06-23, 06:53 AM
A277 You can only get a single racial quality from every category. If you want both the human bonus and a flat bonus to specific abilities, you must select advanced traits from the ability score racial traits.

JeenLeen
2013-06-24, 11:00 AM
Q278 Is there any conflict between wielding a weapon two-handed, using Power Attack on it, and benefitting from Weapon Finesse with it? (For example, if I use a rapier two-handed with Power Attack and Weapon Finesse.)

Q279 The Ranger's combat style bonus feats ignore pre-reqs. This include feat pre-reqs, correct? For example, if I take the Two-Handed Weapon fighting style, I can take Greater Cleave at Ranger 6 without having Power Attack or Cleave (as well as not having Str 13).

Yora
2013-06-24, 11:08 AM
A278 "One-handed weapon" is merely a type of weapon and doesn't say how it is held. So you can use a weapon with both hands and weapon finesse.

A279: That's how Weapon Style works.

Zherog
2013-06-24, 01:55 PM
A 278 additional

Yora is correct from a general perspective, but the rapier has a special rule:

Rapier: You can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier to attack rolls with a rapier sized for you, even though it isn't a light weapon. You can't wield a rapier in two hands in order to apply 1-1/2 times your Strength bonus to damage.

(emphasis mine)

That doesn't seem to affect the bonus damage from Power Attack, but it's worth pointing out that you won't get the extra damage from Strength for wielding it two-handed.

Keneth
2013-06-24, 02:52 PM
A278+ While don't want to drag this out any further since it has been answered for RAW, I feel I should point out that using a rapier two-handed is incredibly silly, and even if you decide to do so, most GMs would likely consider it a light weapon for the purposes of Power Attack as well.

JeenLeen
2013-06-25, 12:44 PM
Yeah, I'll check with the DM if I try to combo all of that.

Q 280
Is there any way to get a Summoner (Syntheist archetype) whose Eidolon does not vanish when he falls or asleep OR are there any races that do not require sleep?

Basically, I want a way to keep the eidolon merged with my character at night, either by keeping it active while I sleep or by not needing to sleep.

powerdemon
2013-06-25, 12:57 PM
A 280

This feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/resilient-eidolon)is as close as you can get without a non-sleeping race.

Hruken
2013-06-25, 07:12 PM
A 280+

Keep Watch (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/k/keep-watch) should get you what you want, 1st level spell, but not on summoner spell list.

Ailowynn
2013-06-25, 07:33 PM
Q 281

If you were able to create a Prismatic Sphere (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/prismaticSphere.html#_prismatic-sphere) that encased you and some, but not all, of a monster, would said monster be subject to the effects of "moving through" the sphere?

Griffin
2013-06-25, 07:35 PM
Q282

Does the shadows from the Shadow blade school stance Child of Shadow (http://dndtools.eu/spells/tome-of-battle-the-book-of-nine-swords--88/child-shadow--3685/) are enough to activate the feat Shadow Dodge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/shadow-dodge)? We play in a crossover setting mostly on PF with some 3.5, the DM does authorize use of 3.5 things

Karoht
2013-06-26, 09:52 AM
Q 281

If you were able to create a Prismatic Sphere (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/prismaticSphere.html#_prismatic-sphere) that encased you and some, but not all, of a monster, would said monster be subject to the effects of "moving through" the sphere?
A281
In Prismatic Sphere, it states that the spell functions like Prismatic Wall.
In Prismatic Wall, it states "A prismatic wall spell cast to materialize in a space occupied by a creature is disrupted, and the spell is wasted."
So short answer is no, long answer is no because the spell wouldn't materialize properly.

soulsabre345
2013-06-27, 04:32 AM
Q283

Can silent image, or for that matter, any image spell create a image of more than one object or creature? I keep hearing references to a official book saying a valid image would be one of a group of orcs playing cards, but I don't know where to find it. I'd prefer a pathfinder example, but if 3.5 is the only example available that's fine.

Yora
2013-06-27, 08:20 AM
A283: Silent Image is measured in a visual figment that can not exceed a certain volume.
Is a pillow an one image? Is a bed one image? Is a house one image? Or maybe is the helm of an orc one image and his spear another image? Since you could go on like that forever, I think the correct way to handle figments is to create an illusion that can include as many things and creatures as you want to, as long as they fit into the volume of space.
However, if you interact with one of the ilusory orcs and make a save to notice it is an illusion, you would also know that all the other orcs, their equipment, and the table and the chairs are all part of that illusion as well.

soulsabre345
2013-06-27, 01:50 PM
A283: Silent Image is measured in a visual figment that can not exceed a certain volume.
Is a pillow an one image? Is a bed one image? Is a house one image? Or maybe is the helm of an orc one image and his spear another image? Since you could go on like that forever, I think the correct way to handle figments is to create an illusion that can include as many things and creatures as you want to, as long as they fit into the volume of space.
However, if you interact with one of the ilusory orcs and make a save to notice it is an illusion, you would also know that all the other orcs, their equipment, and the table and the chairs are all part of that illusion as well.

Is this just a argument or is there a official source? My dm is a bit of a stickler for the RAW, so I need proof.

Yora
2013-06-27, 02:17 PM
While there are some creative ways to wriggle through the exact phrases, the spells description says "the visual illusion of an object, creature, or force". And considering that, I would have to say that "one single creature with a volume up to X" is clearly the most literary reading and the "safe one" to go with. If a GM goes with this one, that would be very hard to argue against.

(Since it doesn't have to be an actually existing creature, you could make the illusion of a floor monster that has a bunch of orc-looking tentacles grow out of it, but that's a whole different type of rules lawyering. While even more RAW, I doubt that many GMs would see it that way.)

Karoht
2013-06-28, 02:41 PM
Q284-Dimension Door Pain Train
Dimensional Assault/Dervish/Savant feat chain.
So I cast Dimension Door, and plot out the points I'm going to teleport to, strike, then teleport to the next.
4 other party members are in adjacent squares right before I begin, all of whom are in contact with me in some fashion.
Q284a-Can they, as a free action, break contact with me to remain in a square should they chose to?
Q-284bAnd since the passengers do not lose their actions, merely me (who doesn't because of the feat chain, but that is irrelivant), they can then perhaps make a 5 ft step and full attack on their initiative (assuming their initiative is after mine or if they held their actions until after mine).

Just for awesomeness, they would be attacking with me acting as a flanking buddy due to Dimentional Savant, assuming we line up the teleport locations correctly.

gr8artist
2013-06-28, 03:32 PM
Q 285 (inspired by previous)
When using dimensional savant, since you provide flanking from the squares you attack from until the start of your next turn, can you jump to opposing sides of a creature to flank with yourself?
If so, I know my group's next boss fight.

Cieyrin
2013-06-28, 04:09 PM
A 284 Dimensional Dervish and Dimensional Assault isn't having you actually casting Dimension Door, it's using your ability to cast the spell or ability similar to it to allow a special action enabled by having the feat(s). So you can't take people with you like if you'd actually cast the spell. Also note Abundant Step specifically says you can't take passengers, if that's your method of acquisition.
A 285 Dimensional Savant already says you can flank with yourself, so yes.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-06-28, 10:45 PM
Q 286

Is the Blood of Heroes (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/blood-of-heroes) feat retroactive?

Yora
2013-06-29, 03:58 AM
A286: Since Hero Points are an exandable resource that can be regained and also has a maximum amount that you can have, and it also says "whenever you gain a level" and not "+1 per level", I think it's almost certain that it does not grant you hero points for previous levels. (But it would give you one additional Hero Point for the lavel at which you take it.)

Occasional Sage
2013-06-29, 01:02 PM
Q287

Does Channel Smite damage multiply on a critical hit? Because if it really does I MUST take a Paladin into Holy Vindicator to squeeze this trick.

Q288

Is there a default rule regarding a bonus feat being replaced if the character already has the feat? I'm not sure if my brain is remembering 3.5 or a house rule, but i can't find a PF statement on the topic.

Cieyrin
2013-06-29, 05:37 PM
A 287 Extra dice are never multiplied on a critical hit, so no.

A 288 There isn't a general rule, really. There are mechanics that allow specific characters to replace feats, like Fighters and Cavaliers, but it's on a case by case basis.

gr8artist
2013-06-29, 07:40 PM
Q 289: I know that haste and a speed weapon are mutually exclusive. But there are many other ways to get extra attacks, such as TWF, Rapid Shot, monk and ninja ki powers, and others.
A. Can anyone provide a more concrete list of the known ways to get extra attacks in a full-round-action.
B. Which ways stack or don't stack with which others?

AttilaTheGeek
2013-06-29, 11:13 PM
Q 290

What does "Knowledge (all skills taken individually)" mean? In what ways is it different from "Knowledge (all)"?

Occasional Sage
2013-06-30, 12:01 AM
Q 289: I know that haste and a speed weapon are mutually exclusive. But there are many other ways to get extra attacks, such as TWF, Rapid Shot, monk and ninja ki powers, and others.
A. Can anyone provide a more concrete list of the known ways to get extra attacks in a full-round-action.
B. Which ways stack or don't stack with which others?

Magus9 accesses Hasted Assault, which counts as a limited-duration Haste. Bard (Dervish Dancer)6 gets Rain of Blows, which adds an attack, attack bonus, AC, and Reflex saves; it does not stack.

Yora
2013-06-30, 05:26 AM
A290: It means the same thing. There could be a slight difference, but that would depend entirely on the specific context where it appears.

JeenLeen
2013-06-30, 08:57 PM
Q291
For the half-elf alternative racial trait "Arcane Training"

Arcane Training: Half-elves occasionally seek tutoring to help them master the magic in their blood. Half-elves with this racial trait have only one favored class and it must be an arcane spellcasting class. They can use spell trigger and spell completion items for their favored class as if 1 level higher (or as a 1st-level character if they have no levels in that class). This racial trait replaces the multitalented racial trait.
Does this mean your 1st level (and all levels) need never be in your favored class? Could, for example, a druid half-elf take his, with favored class of wizard but only taking druid levels, to be able to use scrolls and wands like a wizard? (Druid cannot be the favored class because the trait requires you to have an arcane spellcasting class as your favored class.)

If not, how does this work, because it seems not to make sense otherwise.

Karoht
2013-07-01, 12:51 AM
A 284 Dimensional Dervish and Dimensional Assault isn't having you actually casting Dimension Door, it's using your ability to cast the spell or ability similar to it to allow a special action enabled by having the feat(s). So you can't take people with you like if you'd actually cast the spell. Also note Abundant Step specifically says you can't take passengers, if that's your method of acquisition.
Nope, the spell itself, along with an SLA on Synthesist Summoner.

I'm confused how you came to that conclusion, as the only restriction the DAg/DAs/DD/DS feat chain mentions is a variation on range.

Yora
2013-07-01, 03:12 AM
Q292: What happens when you drink a potion inside an antimagic field?

Keneth
2013-07-01, 06:41 AM
A291 That is correct.

A292 You get a really bad taste in your mouth. :smallbiggrin:

The correct answer is: Nothing happens since the potion isn't a magical item, it's just a mundane liquid. The real question is what happens when you exit the antimagic field, and that's not covered by the rules.

In most cases, I would say the potion is wasted, but depending on how much time is spent inside the area of effect, I might assign a percentile chance that the potion takes effect once they exit the field.

Yora
2013-07-01, 07:03 AM
Q293: What happens when a large creature like an oni uses alter self. Can it change into a large or medium humanoid, or into a small or medium one, as the spell says. And what modifiers would he get?

Keneth
2013-07-01, 07:53 AM
A293 The spell works exactly as described, you can change into a medium or small humanoid and get the listed ability modifiers. In addition, you receive ability adjustments from the size change. For a large creature polymorphing itself into a medium (or smaller) creature, that's -4 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con. If this is a Change Shape monster ability, however, it works a bit differently. Check out the polymorph school description (and possibly Change Shape ability description) for more information.

JeenLeen
2013-07-01, 01:29 PM
Q 294
Can you make attacks of opportunity with a bow?
(Zen Archer monk archetype gives Combat Reflexes as a potential bonus feat, which seems to imply you can.)

Drelua
2013-07-01, 01:39 PM
A 294

Not unless you take the Snap Shot feats from Ultimate Combat. Otherwise, ranged weapons do not threaten any squares and so do cannot be used for AoOs.

gr8artist
2013-07-01, 03:39 PM
Q 295: Is there any way possible to get Martial Versatility (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/arg-feats/martial-versatility-combat-human) on a half-orc?

Occasional Sage
2013-07-01, 10:00 PM
Q 295: Is there any way possible to get Martial Versatility (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/arg-feats/martial-versatility-combat-human) on a half-orc?

A295

Half-orcs qualify for Martial Versatility out of the box; their type (per the SRD) is Humanoid (human, orc).

Clistenes
2013-07-01, 10:09 PM
Q 296: I know that Spell Resistance coming from spells and magic items don't stack, but overlaps, but, does innate Spell Resistance (coming from the base race or from a template) stack with anything else?

Keneth
2013-07-02, 08:06 AM
A296 No, no type of SR stacks with any other type. Not that there are types in the first place, spell resistance is spell resistance, regardless of what the source is.

Beandip
2013-07-02, 04:33 PM
Q 297 Can Ghoul Fever be cured before it onsets? How about after? Reversed?

If so, what does it take?

Yora
2013-07-03, 03:00 AM
A297: Yes, you can cast cure disease at any time and if the spell is successful, the disease is instantly cured, even if it did not cause any damage yet.

The Heal skill allows you to make a Heal check instead of a Fortitude save against the disease, and if the character is treated before the onset of the disease, it can potentially prevent a disease from doing any damage at all.
In the case of Ghoul Fever, that would have to be done twice in a row, but could still allow a character to be free of the disease without ever taking damage.

Korahir
2013-07-03, 07:40 AM
Q298:

Wands for Cantrips/Orisons are listed at 375 GM, which means assuming they are created with one caster level that the math is done with a spell level of 1/2 rather than 0. Is it safe to assume this would also be true for creating magical traps?

Keneth
2013-07-03, 08:01 AM
A298 Yes, you follow the standard rules for crafting wondrous items.

Doorhandle
2013-07-03, 08:10 PM
Q299: If you're a lich with the feat, cleave, or any other kind of monster which has a damaging touch attack and the cleave feat, can you use that touch attack to cleave or great cleave with? Basically, can you cleave with corrupting touch?

Keneth
2013-07-03, 08:52 PM
A299 Yes, you can cleave with any weapon.

Zherog
2013-07-03, 09:58 PM
A 299 slight correction

You can cleave with any melee weapon. ;)

Doorhandle
2013-07-04, 04:30 AM
A 299 slight correction

You can cleave with any melee weapon. ;)

:D

That could be fun.

Keneth
2013-07-04, 06:44 AM
A299+ On ranged cleaves: The rules actually make no such distinction. Though good luck convincing your GM that the arrow bounced and hit the orc standing next to the first one. But RAW is RAW, if you hit with your attack, you can attack another creature that fits the prerequisites. Of course, in most cases, that means you're attacking creatures adjacent to you with a ranged weapon, so it's not exactly the smartest idea. :smalltongue:

gr8artist
2013-07-05, 02:21 AM
Q 300: Can you cleave with the melee attack granted by a touch spell? or would the spell trigger on the first target, and then you'd have a non-damaging slap-on-the-face against the second victim?
Q 301: Can you activate swift/free actions between strikes on a cleave? For example, could a paladin strike target A, then smite target B, then use his cleaving strike on target B?

North_Ranger
2013-07-05, 07:22 AM
Q 302: I know it's somewhere, but I can't seem to locate it: What is the range for thrown splash weapons (such as alchemist's fire and holy water)?

Keneth
2013-07-05, 07:24 AM
A300 A touch attack spell is expended as soon as you touch anything, so unless it has multiple charges (like frostbite for instance), your attack is no longer valid for cleave. Note that Cleave does not explicitly limit you to a single weapon (as silly as that is fluff-wise), so even if you expend your touch attack, if you still have a weapon (or natural attack) handy, you can cleave with that weapon.

A301 For the most part, cleaving is a singular standard action, so the question is, what kind of free action could you perform during a standard action? I think this is one is up to the GM.

A302 Range increment of 10 ft.

JeenLeen
2013-07-05, 09:44 AM
Q 303
Are the spells in the Advanced Race Guide, listed under the races, only usable by members of that race?

For example, my gnome bard could not learn Windy Escape, since it is a sylph-spell?

Q 304
For windy escape, would that make you immune to rays, touch spells, and things like ghost-touch weapons or force effects?

Yora
2013-07-05, 10:17 AM
A303: In the PRD, it says this as general information for the racial spells.

Spells: The spells in this section are common to spellcasting members of this race. Sometimes they only target members of the race, but often they are just the race's well-guarded secrets; members of other races can learn to cast them with the GM's permission.
So the GM needs to allow that you learned the spell from somwhere if you are not a member of that race.

A304: No the spell does not make you incorporeal, it just turns you into a gas. Rays and touch spells can still make contact with your form.

JeenLeen
2013-07-05, 04:01 PM

How is the DC for a Horizon Walker's Charm Person spell-like ability determined? (Terrain Dominance for Urban)

Keneth
2013-07-05, 04:24 PM
A305 Since it's a spell-like ability, and nothing in the class or ability description says otherwise, it follows the general rule:

The saving throw (if any) against a spell-like ability is 10 + the level of the spell the ability resembles or duplicates + the creature's Charisma modifier.

BrackenAlistair
2013-07-06, 06:11 AM
Q 306:
Will spyglass (or any other similar item) interact in any way with darkvision or low light vision? Will you see farther in dark with spyglass?

Yora
2013-07-06, 06:45 AM
A306: No. As written, a spyglas only reduces the penalty to Perception checks for the distance between you and the location you look at. You still have to be able to see that location normally for the spyglass to have any effect.

Darkvision is a bit weird, as it has a fixed range and that's simply not how any kind of visual perception in reality works. But since the description of the item does not say it changes the distance of darkvision, it doesn't.

Craft (Cheese)
2013-07-07, 01:55 AM
Q 307 In the advanced race guide, the spell-like ability traits say you can only choose a spell that "does not attack a creature or deal damage." Do enchantments like Dominate Person count as "attacks" for this purpose?

Yora
2013-07-07, 04:32 AM
A307: I assume this restriction is supposed to match those of invisibility and sanctuary. For invisibility it says "For purposes of this spell, an attack includes any spell targeting a foe or whose area or effect includes a foe."
Since dominate person is a hostile action targeted at an enemy, I would say it's an attack and disqualified for that ability.

Cheiromancer
2013-07-07, 12:00 PM
Q 308 A +3 weapon overcomes DR/silver. Would a +4 weapon be needed to overcome DR/silver and magic?

(If this kind of DR doesn't exist in PF, assume that the PF rule for overcoming DR is being imported into a 3.5 game)

Q 309 Are there circumstances where monsters with DR/magic could overcome DR/silver and magic? (E.g. if a monster has DR/magic and at least 12 HD, does it count as a +3 weapon or something?)

(same assumption as for Q308)

I apologize if this is well-known to pathfinder players. I am familiar with 3.5, but only with those fragments of pathfinder that become house rules in a 3.5 game.

Cieyrin
2013-07-08, 06:41 AM
A 308 You only need a +1 weapon to beat DR/magic, just because a +3 weapon is powerful enough to overcome DR/silver doesn't mean it loses the ability to pierce DR/magic at the same time. So a +3 weapon is sufficient.

A 309 No.

Occasional Sage
2013-07-08, 08:37 AM
Q310
A Wildblooded Sorceror with the Void-Touched Starsoul bloodline gets the Voidfield power. Has this been erratad? If so, how do the uses per day and duration work? I assume that it does indeed come online at 9th level since itemulates a 4th-level spell, but tracking two differently-progressing durations is bizarre, to say nothing of gaining uses-per-day before the power is available!

Karoht
2013-07-08, 10:30 AM
Q310
A Wildblooded Sorceror with the Void-Touched Starsoul bloodline gets the Voidfield power. Has this been erratad? If so, how do the uses per day and duration work? I assume that it does indeed come online at 9th level since itemulates a 4th-level spell, but tracking two differently-progressing durations is bizarre, to say nothing of gaining uses-per-day before the power is available!
A310
I see nothing about an errata on this, pathfindersrd.com is pretty good about adding those in.
To answer your question, you gain access to it at 9th level, it's uses per day are written rather poorly, much like some other spells. As for it's duration, the Ice Storm effect lasts (CL) Rounds Per Level, while the Deeper Darkness does not.

To answer your unasked question, yes it is very poorly worded, but no worse than some spells I can think of.

Dlkpi
2013-07-08, 02:10 PM
Q311
The rules for Sepia Snake Sigil (http://paizo.com/prd/spells/sepiaSnakeSigil.html) mention several ways of removing the sigil (erase, dispel magic) - would these also free someone who failed their save and is already imprisoned? If not, is there any way someone already imprisoned could be freed, short of powerful spells like Freedom?

Vultawk
2013-07-08, 08:39 PM
Q312 Forgive me if this had been asked before, but if a Magus uses a Wand of Shocking Grasp (or another touch spell) could he then use Spellstrike to deliver the charge with a weapon?

Cieyrin
2013-07-08, 09:26 PM
A 312 No, he didn't cast the spell.

Q 313 How does skills for familiars work? I get either the master's or the animal's skill ranks modified by the animal's ability scores but they have their own class skills that determine whether they get the trained bonus? Is that what's going on?

Keneth
2013-07-09, 05:58 AM
A313 That is, indeed, what's going on.

Doorhandle
2013-07-09, 06:14 AM
A313 That is, indeed, what's going on.

Huh. That's... complicated. Makes sense once you say that though.

Q314 Does the feat Wall of flesh stack with itself? To what size? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/wall-of-flesh-teamwork)
Basically, what I'm asking, if I had a line of 3 goblins, all with the feat, would the middle goblin count as large?

Occasional Sage
2013-07-09, 08:19 AM
Q315
Does an enemy of which l am not aware (invisible, etc.) provide flanking assistance against me to known foes? RAW does not appear to say no, which (gasp!) contradicts logic and fluff.

Keneth
2013-07-09, 01:08 PM
A314 No, when the condition is met, you are considered one size larger, regardless of how many times the condition is met.

A315 Actually, RAW does state that invisible creatures do not provide a flanking bonus.

Cieyrin
2013-07-09, 04:48 PM
Huh. That's... complicated. Makes sense once you say that though.

Yeah, it is. That's why I needed the confirmation, because...yeah...

JoeYounger
2013-07-09, 05:00 PM
Q:316

If I am starting out as a level 1 wizard with a bonded item, is there anything stopping me from making my bonded item a mighty (+4) composite longbow?

Occasional Sage
2013-07-09, 06:59 PM
A315 Actually, RAW does state that invisible creatures do not provide a flanking bonus.

Where? I don't find that under invisibility or flanking.

Raven777
2013-07-10, 12:35 AM
Q 317 I am told that a character equipped with a Spiked Gauntlet while wielding a bow can threaten the squares next to him. If he actually wants to do an AoO with the gauntlet, does he need to drop the bow, or can he still hold onto it with his free hand?

Keneth
2013-07-10, 07:26 AM
Where? I don't find that under invisibility or flanking.

Sorry, for some reason I was sure this rule made it to Pathfinder, but I can't find it anywhere either. If anything, some designers are proponents of the opposite, as silly as that is, so strictly by PF RAW, you can flank with an invisible creature.

Here's what the 3.5 FAQ had to say on the matter:

Q: Suppose an ally of mine is attacking one foe, then I somehow become invisible, draw my sword, and move to the other side of that foe, thus flanking the foe. Does my ally still get a flanking bonus even if I am invisible?

A: You get a flanking bonus from any ally your foe can see (and who is in the correct position to flank). If your foe can't see you, you don't provide a flanking bonus to any ally. Sharp readers will note that this means you cannot flank a blind creature; however, truly blind creatures are effectively flanked already (they can't use their Dexterity bonus to AC and you get a +2 bonus to attack them). Creatures with the blindsight ability effectively “see” within blindsight range and can be flanked.

A316 It's up to the GM. The rules don't put a maximum price tag on bonded items, any masterwork item, made from normal materials, is a good candidate.

A317 Yes, you can hold a two-handed weapon with one hand.

Leshy
2013-07-11, 06:16 AM
Q 318

If rogue attacks with sneak attack while he is in stealth, does he loses his stealth? Rule says, I quote:

"Breaking Stealth: When you start your turn using Stealth, you can leave cover or concealment and remain unobserved as long as you succeed at a Stealth check and end your turn in cover or concealment. Your Stealth immediately ends after you make and attack roll, whether or not the attack is successful (except when sniping as noted below).

Sniping: If you've already successfully used Stealth at least 10 feet from your target, you can make one ranged attack and then immediately use Stealth again. You take a –20 penalty on your Stealth check to maintain your obscured location."

It confuses me because we never really payed attention to the combat rules before (now we decided to learn those finally), and we always did it that if character is in stealth, he can perform range attack and stay in stealth as long as someone rolls Perception higher than hidden character's Stealth roll.

Yora
2013-07-11, 10:45 AM
A318: That is incorrect, according to the rules. When you make an attack roll, Stealth ends. If you are standing in an area that grants concealment, you still have concealment after the attack, but are not hidden.

Unless you use the option for sniping, everyone is effectively treated as having made a successful Perception check.

CockroachTeaParty
2013-07-11, 01:53 PM
Q 319

I find the wording on the following segment from the ARG race building rules somewhat unclear:

Advanced (4 RP)

Prerequisites: Advanced or monstrous power level.
Modifiers: Pick either mental or physical ability scores. Members of this race gain a +2 bonus to all of those scores, a +4 bonus to one score of the other type, and a –2 penalty to one other ability score of the other type.

So, does this mean a race would get +2 to STR, DEX, CON, then +4 to WIS, -2 CHA (just to pick two). Or vice-versa, would a race get +4 STR, -2 DEX, +2 INT, WIS, CHA?

I just find it somewhat confusing.

Cieyrin
2013-07-11, 06:47 PM
A 319 Yes, that is correct.

hydraa
2013-07-12, 04:30 PM
Q 320

Does each square of splash damage from a splash weapon (especially a alchemist explosive bomb with 10 ft splash radius) cause damage to a single creature if the creature is larger than one square and is hit by multiple squares of splash damage.

Q 320a

Does a creature take splash damage in addition to direct damage from the splash weapon if it is larger than 1 square and the splash damage covers squares of the creature other than the direct damage square?

Q 320b
Does the same hold true for creatures of a swarm subtype

A hit deals direct hit damage to the target, and splash damage to all creatures within 5 feet of the target. If the target is Large or larger, you choose one of its squares and the splash damage affects creatures within 5 feet of that square.

It appears by raw that at least one splash will hit the creature in addition to direct.

Q 320c
Does splash damage also occur to the creature (even if it is size medium or smaller) since ALL creatures within 5 ft take splash damage?

Cieyrin
2013-07-12, 04:53 PM
A 320 As a general rule, you can only be hit once by an area effect, regardless of size of the creature. So no.

A 320a&c You're either directly hit or splashed, not both.

A 320b They take up that much space but the swarm itself is composed of diminutive or smaller creatures, so you don't get a mobile splash, just throw it to where you want it to land.

Keneth
2013-07-12, 06:48 PM
A320+ Swarms and splash weapons have always been two problematic areas because there are simply too many special cases to cover.

To expand a little on what Cieyrin already answered:

When making a ranged attack, you target a single space your enemy occupies, so in the case of splash weapons, the splash goes around the targeted space, not the whole creature. When hit directly, you take the appropriate damage, while those around the impact area take splash damage. This is a single effect, so you can't take damage from it more than once.

As for the swarms, those composed of fine or diminutive creatures are immune to weapon damage, as well as single-target effects (a splash weapon is kinda sorta both), so I don't think you can even hit them directly. I'd say you can target a swarm of tiny creatures with a splash weapon normally, as you would a creature of equivalent size.

Eldonauran
2013-07-13, 01:02 AM
Q321: Alchemist gains Brew Potion at level 1. Character multiclasses into Witch and choose the Cauldron Hex (gain brew potion and +4 to craft alchemy checks). What is the proper way to handle duplicate feats in this instance?

As a DM, I am inclined to allow the character to retrain the first feat (essentially picking a different feat they qualify for).

Yora
2013-07-13, 02:12 AM
A321: The proper way is that the character has the feat twice, but since its effects don't stack with itself, the benefit is the same as having the feat just once. Having it a second time does not offer any benefit.

Using the retraining rules from UCam, you can not retrain those feats.

If the old feat is a bonus feat granted by a class feature, you must replace it with a feat that you could choose using that class feature.
Since you get only a single preset bonus feat with no choice for another feat, there are no other options you could retrain it to.

Jett Midknight
2013-07-13, 04:39 AM
Is there a quick or easy way to determine the CR of a PC class at a certain level? I have a 12th level Paladin I want my party to face, but I'm not sure what the appropriate CR for this would be.

Yora
2013-07-13, 04:43 AM
Is there a quick or easy way to determine the CR of a PC class at a certain level? I have a 12th level Paladin I want my party to face, but I'm not sure what the appropriate CR for this would be.
A322: If the character has any levels in a PC class, the CR is the combined number of all PC class levels and NPC class levels minus 1.
A 12th level paladin would be CR 11.

Jett Midknight
2013-07-13, 06:46 AM
A322: If the character has any levels in a PC class, the CR is the combined number of all PC class levels and NPC class levels minus 1.
A 12th level paladin would be CR 11.

Does this take into account the Paladins mount and magical equipment?

Yora
2013-07-13, 07:55 AM
A322b: Yes, any additional creatures that a character controls or summons by using his class features or magic items are considered part of the characters class and don't count extra to determine CR and XP.

Vultawk
2013-07-13, 09:14 AM
A 312 No, he didn't cast the spell.

How so? I'm trying to look up why this is, and I'm not finding anything.

Cieyrin
2013-07-13, 10:48 AM
How so? I'm trying to look up why this is, and I'm not finding anything.

Spellstrike requires the Magus to cast the spell. Using a wand isn't casting a spell, it's activating a spell trigger item. Though, looking at the Wand Wielder Arcana, you may be able to use wand empowered Spellstrikes with it, though it only mentions Spell Combat, not Spellstrike, so that area is kinda gray...

Keneth
2013-07-13, 11:24 AM
A312+ It's not a gray area at all, even with Wand Wielder, you're still not casting a spell, so no spellstrikes with wands.

Vultawk
2013-07-13, 01:48 PM
Spellstrike requires the Magus to cast the spell. Using a wand isn't casting a spell, it's activating a spell trigger item. Though, looking at the Wand Wielder Arcana, you may be able to use wand empowered Spellstrikes with it, though it only mentions Spell Combat, not Spellstrike, so that area is kinda gray...

A312+ It's not a gray area at all, even with Wand Wielder, you're still not casting a spell, so no spellstrikes with wands.

That's really weird, but thanks. :smallsmile:

Yora
2013-07-14, 08:09 AM
Q323: In a creatures stat block, is there any difference between "Treasure: standard" and "Treasure: NPC gear"?

Keneth
2013-07-14, 10:02 AM
A323 Yes. Treasure: Standard means the creature carries the standard amount of treasure for a CR equal to the average party level (or its own CR) as per the table 12-5 in CRB (Treasure Values per Encounter). Treasure: NPC gear means the creature has an amount of treasure that an NPC of a level equal to the creature's CR would otherwise receive, as per the table 14-9 in CRB (NPC Gear). In addition, any gear listed on the creature's stat block is subsumed in that value (so it's treasure - listed gear, not treasure + listed gear).

Yora
2013-07-15, 02:34 AM
Q324: Do Hit Dice from class levels increase the save DC of special abilities like poisons?

(I think it's quite obviously yes, but I just read a statement to the contrary in another thread.)

Acora
2013-07-15, 02:43 AM
This is only tangentially related, so if it's the wrong kind of question for this thread, throw a shoe at me and I'll be on my way.

Q324 Pathfinder is often described at D&D 3.5.5, working as a revamped, supposedly rebalanced version of 3.5e. As someone who is only familiar with 3.5 through NWN2, why do many people prefer 3.5 over Pathfinder? Is it a matter of familiarity, or do people have issues with PF that they don't have with 3.5?

Yora
2013-07-15, 02:55 AM
@325: That's a rather big question that can't be answered in two or three sentences. You should look if you can find a thread about that topic or start a new one.

Acora
2013-07-15, 02:58 AM
@325: That's a rather big question that can't be answered in two or three sentences. You should look if you can find a thread about that topic or start a new one.

Will do. Thanks.

Keneth
2013-07-15, 07:42 AM
A324 Yes.

A325 Because that description is wrong (even though they call themselves D&D 3.75). Pathfinder is just a different version of 3.5, not an upgraded one (which isn't to say many things weren't improved). It's also lacking the vast amount of material that 3.5 accumulated over the years (though it has plenty of its own splat books). So basically it's just a matter of taste, some will stick to 3.5, some will prefer PF, and I think the vast majority is playing 3.P in varying degrees of crossover.

Leshy
2013-07-15, 08:45 AM
Q326 Another combat question: One of the PCs is fightning in melee against an opponent and another is attacking that same opponent with ranged attack. Now, as opponent has concealment from range attack provided by PC that fights in melee, does that mean that after ranged PC rolls successfull attack roll, and defender manages to roll successfull 20% concealment miss chance, that arrow/bolt hits melee PC as he is providing concealment?

Also, does that rule apply for ranged touch attacks, eg. wizard/sorcerer ranged touch spells?

Yora
2013-07-15, 09:06 AM
A326: An enemy can only give you soft cover against range attacks if that enemy is standing between you and the attacker with the ranged weapon. You don't get concealment from being in melee.

Keneth
2013-07-15, 12:30 PM
A326+ As Yora already said, the enemy doesn't get concealment, they get soft cover (+4 to AC), and even then only if your ranged attack passes through another creature's square. You do, however, always get a -4 penalty to attack rolls for shooting into a melee unless you're using Precise Shot.

I also seem to recall seeing a rule stating that you can attack normally past creatures that are smaller than you, but now I can't find it anywhere. :smallconfused:

powerdemon
2013-07-15, 12:38 PM
Q326 Another combat question: One of the PCs is fightning in melee against an opponent and another is attacking that same opponent with ranged attack. Now, as opponent has concealment from range attack provided by PC that fights in melee, does that mean that after ranged PC rolls successfull attack roll, and defender manages to roll successfull 20% concealment miss chance, that arrow/bolt hits melee PC as he is providing concealment?

Also, does that rule apply for ranged touch attacks, eg. wizard/sorcerer ranged touch spells?
A 326
Pathfinder also removed the chance of hitting an ally with a ranged attack in this way.

Leshy
2013-07-15, 02:36 PM
Thank you all.

Eldonauran
2013-07-15, 04:51 PM
A321: The proper way is that the character has the feat twice, but since its effects don't stack with itself, the benefit is the same as having the feat just once. Having it a second time does not offer any benefit.

Using the retraining rules from UCam, you can not retrain those feats.

Since you get only a single preset bonus feat with no choice for another feat, there are no other options you could retrain it to.

Ah, well. That is a shame. I don't agree with the RAW in this instance and shall houserule appropriately.

Thank you

Zherog
2013-07-15, 05:24 PM
A 324 conflict

I disagree with Keneth's answer - at least in regards to poison.

Poison (Ex or Su) A creature with this ability can poison those it attacks. The effects of the poison, including its save, frequency, and cure, are included in the creature's description. The saving throw to resist a poison is usually a Fort save (DC 10 + 1/2 poisoning creature's racial HD + creature's Con modifier; the exact DC is given in the creature's descriptive text). Poisons can be removed through neutralize poison and similar effects. (emphasis mine.)

A quick look at other abilities also specifically mention racial HD, but I didn't look through the entire UMR to verify.

Keneth
2013-07-15, 10:44 PM
A324+ I should have probably been more specific. Special abilities derived from racial features (such as natural poisons or breath weapons) almost always use only racial hit dice to determine the DC (the exception being the abilities of most playable races), whereas special abilities acquired by other means tend to use full HD or class levels. I kinda assumed a favorable situation, but I didn't consider that the creature in question might not be a standard character.

ArqArturo
2013-07-17, 11:00 PM
Q 325

Does the Fortification (heavy) on armor prevent the effect on a vorpal weapon?.

Keneth
2013-07-18, 12:00 AM
A325 I'm gonna go with yes.

The Vorpal special ability is defined like this:

Upon a roll of natural 20 (followed by a successful roll to confirm the critical hit), the weapon severs the opponent's head (if it has one) from its body.

Emphasis mine. The bolded part directly implies that the severing of someone's head is a type of critical hit, or at the very least an effect that only occurs on a successful critical hit, and as such can be negated by the Fortification special ability.

Karoht
2013-07-18, 10:22 AM
A325 I'm gonna go with yes.

The Vorpal special ability is defined like this:

Emphasis mine. The bolded part directly implies that the severing of someone's head is a type of critical hit, or at the very least an effect that only occurs on a successful critical hit, and as such can be negated by the Fortification special ability.
A325-Supplimental
And while Fortification and Crit Immune and Headless enemies aren't super common, it really does make Vorpal a lot less effective for it's cost.
Never mind if you are the kind that almost never rolls nat 20's, and rarely if ever actually confirms critical threats.

powerdemon
2013-07-18, 12:14 PM
Q 326

The "Mixed Scales" racial feat features this line:

"If you have both Draconic Aspect and dragon-scaled, this benefit applies to both"

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/arg-feats/mixed-scales

What is this talking about? I don't understand how extra energy resistance can also apply to a +1 Natural armor.

Can anyone clarify please?

Thank You.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-07-18, 12:18 PM
Q 327

Does anything special happen if you cast Time Stop while already under the effects of Time Stop, or do you just get another 1d4+1 rounds?

Karoht
2013-07-18, 12:49 PM
Q 327

Does anything special happen if you cast Time Stop while already under the effects of Time Stop, or do you just get another 1d4+1 rounds?
A327-Non-Serious
You divide by zero and the universe ends. The GM throws a book at you, your fellow players shun you for life.

A327-Serious Face
Yes. Add more rounds.

Keneth
2013-07-18, 01:11 PM
And while Fortification and Crit Immune and Headless enemies aren't super common, it really does make Vorpal a lot less effective for it's cost.

Indeed, but instadeath with no save is terrifying enough. It's like going back to level 1 where a lucky swing can kill you outright. In my games the vorpal ability triggers on every critical hit, but allows a Fortitude save (DC 10 + half the wielder's HD + their Str modifier).

A326 It just means you count as both colors for the purposes of both abilities. But since Draconic Aspect only gives you a +1 natural armor if you're dragon-scaled, it doesn't affect it any meaningful way.

Cieyrin
2013-07-18, 08:57 PM
Q 238 Does having levels in Barbarian and Viking Fighter, when you get Berserker, stack for determining when you can take Rage Powers?

Craft (Cheese)
2013-07-19, 04:13 AM
Q 328

Orc bloodline arcana says "Whenever you cast a spell that deals damage, that spell deals +1 point of damage per die rolled."

The Elemental Magus (Suli archetype) lets you get the Assault Synergy arcana, which adds +1d6 damage to a spell at a cost of one round to your Elemental Assault.

Does the bloodline arcana apply to this extra damage? E.g., if I cast Shocking Grasp at CL 5 and use Assault Synergy to boost it, does it do 6d6+6 electricity damage, or 6d6+5?

Yora
2013-07-19, 06:58 AM
A328: Since maximize spell and empower spell say explicitly that both effects are added separately and don't modify the bonus damage created by them, I would apply the same to this situation and say the bonus damage die only applies to the normal unmodified damage, not the damage from metamagic effects.

Keneth
2013-07-19, 08:10 AM
A328 Yes, as I understand it, he adds his barbarian levels to his viking levels (which count as barbarian level - 3).

A329 dispute Bloodlines are not metamagic effects, their damage bonus applies to the total number of dice the spell deals, even extra damage dice such as from Assault Synergy or Sneak Attack.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-07-19, 11:53 AM
Q 330

Does one need to continue speaking and gesturing to concentrate on a spell that has verbal and somatic components?

Karoht
2013-07-19, 12:39 PM
Q 330

Does one need to continue speaking and gesturing to concentrate on a spell that has verbal and somatic components?
A330
Interesting question.
According to the table "Actions in Combat" concentrating on a spell does not provoke an AoO.
Since casting the spell uses components and provokes, but concentrating does not provoke, we could make a bit of a leap of logic and suggest that concentration does not involve the somatic/verbal components.

Also, I poorly recall reading somewhere that if you Still + Silent a spell it doesn't provoke, but that could just be in reference to concentration checks again. Swift Action spells from Quicken Spell do not provoke, and I imagine one is just going 'heck with the mumbo jumbo, POW!' and more or less ignoring those components to cast faster.

Keneth
2013-07-19, 01:07 PM
A330+ Or in a word: No. :smallbiggrin:

Concentrating is just that — concentrating; Nothing more, nothing less.

Edit: Oh and still & silent spells still provoke AoOs, much like spell-like abilities which have no verbal or somatic components. Only spells that can be cast as a swift or immediate action do not provoke an AoO.

Yora
2013-07-20, 04:31 AM
Q331: Assuming you wear +1 shadow leather armor and +4 bracers of armor. Would you get the +4 armor bonus of the bracers and the +10 circumstance bonus to Stealth checks from the armor?
It's items on two different parts of the body, so it should only the armor bonuses that are conflicting, not any other enchantments the items might have, correct?

Keneth
2013-07-20, 05:00 AM
A331 Correct, armor bonuses don't stack, other enchantments work as intended.

Crasical
2013-07-20, 08:12 AM
Q332
Can I fire normal bullets out of a Culverin? The description on the SRD states that

A culverin uses 4 doses of black powder and grapeshot.
while the scatter weapon quality states that

A weapon with the scatter weapon quality can shoot two different types of ammunition. It can fire normal bullets that target one creature, or it can make a scattering shot, attacking all creatures within a cone. Cannons with the scatter weapon quality only fire grapeshot, unless their descriptions state otherwise.
While the Culverin is specifically -not- a cannon, I wonder if the implication is that a Culverin cannot make single target shots and must fire pellets.
Also, does the requirement that I use four doses of powder and grapeshot mean the weapon takes 4x as long to reload?
Furthermore, does being prone count as firing the weapon 'with support', and thus avoid the -4 penalty to attack rolls? It calls out walls or windows as being acceptable to brace the weapon against.

Burlap
2013-07-20, 08:57 AM
Q333: Can an arcane trickster advance divine casting, as it does not specify arcane?
(provided it meets the arcane casting prereq's, or course)
Sorry if this has been asked before, I did a search but couldn't find anything.

Yora
2013-07-20, 10:07 AM
A333: RAW says yes, even though everything else about the classes description and prerequisites indicates that it should only advance arcane spellcasting.

Cieyrin
2013-07-20, 01:56 PM
Edit: Oh and still & silent spells still provoke AoOs, much like spell-like abilities which have no verbal or somatic components. Only spells that can be cast as a swift or immediate action do not provoke an AoO.

Lack of somatic components does mean you ignore Arcane Spell Failure from armor, though.

A 332a I think that they specifically call out the ammo requirement to make an exception, so I don't believe a culverin can shoot single shots.

A 332b For loading, the culverin doesn't specify loading takes longer, so by RAW it takes as long to load as any other two-handed early firearm does, which is normally a full-round action.

A 332c Support isn't very well defined but I would say being prone should count, since you're looking for something to brace the weapon against, which each of the examples provides.

Stanimal
2013-07-20, 02:08 PM
Question 334
Rules question:
Quick draw states that you can draw a hidden weapon as a move action.
Ninja Trick "Hidden Weapons" states you can draw a hidden weapon as a move action, rather than standard.
Do these effects stack? Does two standard to move abilities create move to swift\free?

Yora
2013-07-20, 02:23 PM
A334: No, there is no precedent for two changes of the action type adding up to a change to another type. It's still just a move action.

Burlap
2013-07-20, 02:55 PM
Q335: does the caster level bonus from the Allied Spellcaster teamwork feat apply to dispel checks?

Crasical
2013-07-20, 10:05 PM
Q336

Is there any way to gain a Rogue Talent (Specifically Stand Up) without levels in Rogue or Ninja?

Silus
2013-07-21, 12:29 AM
Q337

When building a monster, is there any "cap" on skills (Like a PC's class levels)? And do NPCs really need knowledge skills?

Yora
2013-07-21, 02:06 AM
A337: The number of skill ranks in any given skill can not be higher than the number of Hit Dice. Be it hit dice from class levels, racial HD, or both.

Stanimal
2013-07-21, 02:17 AM
A334: No, there is no precedent for two changes of the action type adding up to a change to another type. It's still just a move action.

Ok, so there's no precedent... then, I am breaking new ground as a Pathfinder should, haha

I contend that Ninja Trick-Hidden Weapon allows you to treat drawing a hidden weapon (which would normally be a standard action) as drawing a normal\non-hidden weapon (which would normally be drawn as a move action). Quick Draw allows you to draw hidden weapons as a move action; however, it states that you can draw a normal weapon as a free action. If Ninja Trick-Hidden Weapon allows you to consider the hidden weapon as a normal weapon for the sake of drawing, then it should be considered "normal" for the quick draw feat; hence, a free action.

I would say that they stack by RAW. If not, I feel a strong case could be made for a GM ruling\homebrew errata.

Yora
2013-07-21, 02:31 AM
Nothing in the rules as written indicates that. But you can of course house rule that it does.

Silus
2013-07-21, 05:58 AM
Q338

Regarding Sorcerer Bloodlines (Specifically Void-Touched), what is the save that the Bloodline Arcana refers to? A set save posted somewhere, or the save against the spell? And if it is the spell save, what of spells (Like Magic Missile) that do not have saves?

Whenever you cast an evocation spell, you may select one affected target that fails its save to suffer the choking airlessness of the void, silencing it (as silence, but affecting only the target) for 1 round. This is a supernatural ability.

This ability replaces the Starsoul Bloodline Arcana.

Jormengand
2013-07-21, 06:15 AM
Q336

Is there any way to gain a Rogue Talent (Specifically Stand Up) without levels in Rogue or Ninja?
No.

Q338

Regarding Sorcerer Bloodlines (Specifically Void-Touched), what is the save that the Bloodline Arcana refers to? A set save posted somewhere, or the save against the spell? And if it is the spell save, what of spells (Like Magic Missile) that do not have saves?
It refers to the spell save. IIRC, such effects usually use Will as though the spell allowed a will save if none is given.

Yora
2013-07-21, 08:53 AM
Q339: Does a character with a +1 Strength modifier get a +0 bonus to damage for attacks with secondary natural weapons?

Keneth
2013-07-21, 09:30 AM
A335 Yes, if you both have dispel magic prepared, then the bonus applies to the check.

A339 Yes, half of +1 is +0.

Cieyrin
2013-07-21, 11:08 AM
A 336 Dispute Archaeologist Bards and White Haired Witches both get Rogue Talents, though said Witches must draw from a specific list, which doesn't include the talent sought. Said Bards don't have that restriction. There are probably other ways to pick up Rogue Talents, though you'll have to dig for those, as these 2 examples are the ones I can think of off-hand.

Jormengand
2013-07-21, 02:07 PM
A 336 Dispute Archaeologist Bards and White Haired Witches both get Rogue Talents, though said Witches must draw from a specific list, which doesn't include the talent sought. Said Bards don't have that restriction. There are probably other ways to pick up Rogue Talents, though you'll have to dig for those, as these 2 examples are the ones I can think of off-hand.

Oh, yeah. I was thinking of the basic versions of the classes when I gave that answer. Never mind.

Karoht
2013-07-22, 10:25 AM
Q336
A336: Follow Up
The Rogue Talent specifically? See other replies.
The same effective ability? Anyone with a Ki pool can take a feat called Ki Stand. I forget it's name, but it essentially does the same thing. You spend a ki point and get up without an AoO as a swift.
http://www.pathfindersrd.com/feats/general-feats/ki-stand

Yora
2013-07-22, 10:26 AM
Q340: What's the CR of a monster with CR 1/3 that gets a CR +1 template added?

Karoht
2013-07-22, 12:20 PM
Q341: Bardic Performance Range
Is there a feat, spell, item, or anything else which can extend the range of Bardic Performances?
Q341a-Can Ventriloquism be used as the origin point of a Bardic Performance, assuming the performance was Oration/Song?

gr8artist
2013-07-22, 09:40 PM
A 336 Follow up, again.
Taking any class archetype that grants any rogue talent will qualify you for the extra rogue talent (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/extra-rogue-talent) feat, which you can then use to gain any rogue talent from the whole list. This is one way for the witch (who normally chooses from a list subset) to take talents that would normally be forbidden to her.

Yora
2013-07-24, 09:19 AM
Q342: Can an incorporeal shadow demon even hurt corporeal creatures with its claws and bite attacks? Since they are incorporeal, wouldn't they just pass through an enemy?

Keneth
2013-07-24, 09:40 AM
A342 Yes, incorporeal touch attacks can damage corporeal creatures normally.

Yora
2013-07-24, 10:26 AM
@342: But a shadow demon does not have incorporeal touch attacks. It has just regular claw and bite attacks.

Jormengand
2013-07-24, 11:18 AM
A340: The template probably has a minimum final CR. If not, it's still 1+1/3

Keneth
2013-07-24, 04:48 PM
@342: But a shadow demon does not have incorporeal touch attacks. It has just regular claw and bite attacks.

Melee 2 claws +11 touch (1d6 plus 1d6 cold), bite +11 touch (1d8 plus 1d6 cold)

Yeah, they deal physical damage, but they're still touch attacks.

genderlich
2013-07-25, 01:53 AM
Q343:
When using Panther Claw (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/panther-claw-combat), can you make your Wis bonus in attacks as a free action the first time someone swings at you, or can you only do it once per attack of opportunity?

Jormengand
2013-07-25, 04:56 AM
A343 Neither. You may make a single one per AoO you provoke, and you may do it a number of times up to your WIS mod.

Yora
2013-07-25, 06:30 PM
Q344: Can a creature have a Dex score but no Str score without being incorporeal?
Q345: Does a creature under a gaseous form spell have Str -?

Dusk Eclipse
2013-07-25, 08:21 PM
Q346Can you apply the Rime spell metamagic feat to an spell affected by the elemental spell metamagic?

Keneth
2013-07-25, 08:49 PM
A344 Theoretically yes, but it stands to reason that any such creature unable to exert physical force would be insubstantial, which essentially means incorporeal.

A345 No, they keep their Str score since they don't actually gain the incorporeal special quality, though it doesn't really affect anything.

A346 By RAW, Elemental Spell does not add any descriptors to the spell. So the de facto answer would be "no", but for the sake of sanity, this should be house ruled in every game.

Rainshine
2013-07-26, 11:25 PM
Q 347: Does simply seeing an illusion grant a saving throw?

Yora
2013-07-27, 03:56 AM
A347: No, you have to interact with it in some way.

Hobosub
2013-07-28, 09:10 AM
Q.348: Inspired by Q.90 and Q.220 on crafting magic items.

Suppose I want to make a ring of enlarge person that doesn't occupy a slot, using the rules for adding new abilities later on.

Judging from the tables and this FAQ, the price for a ring of continuous enlarge person would be 1 * 1 * 2000 * 2 = 4K.

Table 15-29 (CRB) states for an item not to occupy a slot, you multiply the entire cost by 2.

If the item requires a specific class/alignment, the cost get cuts by 30% (let's say 1/3 for ease of calculation)

Adding new abilities states that when adding a new ability, the cost is: cost = (total price - price of current item). And furthermore, that the cost is increased by 50% if it occupies a slot.

Combining all these factors.
The total cost I'm expecting is 4K * 2 * 2/3 = 5 1/3 K, which as stated earlier is ridiculously cheap.

The rules for forging a ring state that material cost of the ring is subsumed in the cost estimations on the table, so I'm assuming a base cost of 0 for the ring itself.

Q.348a how much would it cost to add the abilities in each order?
If I first make a ring that doesn't take up a slot and is restricted to an alignment (cost * 2 * 2/3 = cost * 4/3) and then add continous enlarge person (4K), my calculations would go:
Cost( slot + alignment ) = 0 * 2 * 2/3 = 0
Cost( adding cont. enlarge ) = (4K * 4/3) - 0 = 5 1/3 K
Cost( total ) = 5 1/3 K
The other way around, I would get:
Cost( cont. enlarge ) = 4 K
Cost( adding slot + align ) = (4K * 4/3) - 4K = 1 1/3 K
Cost( total ) = 5 1/3 K
Q.348b Should the second way around, the cost of adding be increased by 50% because the ring takes up a slot at time you're adding the ability of not occupying a slot?
Q.348c Does this mean I somehow generate money using the second way (or more generally by adding restrictions later on) and doing so takes less than one day?
Q.348d Say you need a specific skill, class and alignment to use the item. (How) do item restrictions stack in cost?

EDIT: noticed using factor 1/3 instead of 2/3 in calculations. This has been fixed.
While this doesn't change the core of the question, assuming restrictions don't stack, it does negate question c.
Sidenote: wasn't planning on (trying) to do this, I was just interested in the mechanics at play.

Keneth
2013-07-28, 11:18 AM
A348 Firstly, you can't actually craft a slotted item (like a ring) that doesn't occupy a slot. This is a minor detail really and it doesn't affect anything except for the requisite feat required to actually craft the item, and the fact that it's entirely ridiculous otherwise.

This particular item quality is meant for items that do not actually occupy a slot, such as ioun stones, and cannot be "added" to an existing item. It's an inherent item quality added at item's creation, not an ability. Same with alignment/class or skill restrictions.

So for starters, crafting such an item, following the guidelines would cost you: 1 (CL) * 1 (SL) * 2,000 (continuous) * 2 (duration) * 2 (non-slotted) * 0.7 (alignment-restricted) = 5,600 gp.

Any further abilities added to the item also inherit all the existing modifiers. So adding a new ability always costs its given price *1.4 in the above example.

Now that that's out of the way; The second important thing to note is that these are simply guidelines. Just as you can't craft a ring of continuous true strike for 8,000gp, you also shouldn't be able to craft a ring of continuous enlarge person for 4,000gp, or your GM is an idiot. The correct way to price an item is to compare it to an existing item and extrapolate a price whenever possible. I don't know of any similar items off the top of my head, but I know I'd never let one of my players craft it for less than 20,000gp, possibly more.

As for the stacking of restrictions, both alignment/class and skill restrictions stack to net a 40% reduction. Having both a class and alignment restriction, or multiple skill restrictions, however, does not reduce the cost any further.

Hobosub
2013-07-28, 01:44 PM
A348 Firstly, you can't actually craft a slotted item (like a ring) that doesn't occupy a slot. This is a minor detail really and it doesn't affect anything except for the requisite feat required to actually craft the item, and the fact that it's entirely ridiculous otherwise.

This particular item quality is meant for items that do not actually occupy a slot, such as ioun stones, and cannot be "added" to an existing item. It's an inherent item quality added at item's creation, not an ability. Same with alignment/class or skill restrictions.

[...]
As for the stacking of restrictions, both alignment/class and skill restrictions stack to net a 40% reduction. Having both a class and alignment restriction, or multiple skill restrictions, however, does not reduce the cost any further.

Q.348+
I suspected as much and it sounds logical, but I couldn't find any rules on it. Do you have any sources on this?

P.S. edited original question, because there was a calculation error in it, obsoleting the negative cost question assuming restrictions don't stack past 50%.

Keneth
2013-07-28, 03:37 PM
A348+ Well, the first two are kinda obvious. Of course nothing in the rules explicitly states that you can't make a slotless ring, but the special category is clearly meant for items that otherwise don't fit in a slot (hence the ioun stone example in my post and in the CRB).

Generally speaking, it takes an epic feat in D&D to get an extra slotted item (or maybe a mythic feat in Pathfinder). These guidelines were first and foremost meant for GMs to create new magic items, not for players to get cheap custom stuff and to bypass balance restrictions. In fact, GMG even states that the players should not be able to reduce the crafting price by adding restrictions (they can add them, but the price remains the same), and warns heavily about allowing powerful slotless items.

But the rules do state that you can only add new abilities or upgrade existing ones, and things like alignment and slot restrictions (or lack thereof) are referred to as special price considerations or modifiers. So aside from making logical sense, there is no precedent for adding these once the item is crafted.

As far as the stacking is concerned, I'm pretty sure there's a FAQ or maybe a forum post by JJ somewhere that says that both skill and alignment restrictions stack percentages. What I'm not sure about, however, is whether the percentages add up or multiply. I seem to recall the alignment and skill restrictions stacking to 40%, but since I can't find the official answer in question, it's entirely possible that the percentages multiply, amounting to a 37% reduction (or 40% with Hedge Magician trait). I'll try to find this bit, because now I'm kinda interested too. :smallbiggrin:

ellindsey
2013-07-28, 07:38 PM
Q.349: Does the Wood Shape spell work on living wood? Does it leave the wood alive after shaping it? Could a Druid use the spell to hollow out a large tree and turn it into a house without killing the tree?

Jormengand
2013-07-28, 08:00 PM
A 349: There is nothing to state either way, so it seems likely the answers are yes, yes and yes.

powerdemon
2013-07-28, 09:03 PM
Q 350
I posted this on the paizo boards and didn't get an answer:

How does Pathfinder handle multiple percentage increase or decreases? I know with multiplication, two doubles is a triple instead of a quadruple.

If two effects, that for sure stack, were to raise the price of something by 10% and 10% - would that be 20%? or 10% and then 10% more of the new price (like real life)? IE: 100gp item. + 10% is 110 + 10% is 121 OR 100 + 20% is 120.

Thanks.

Mers15
2013-07-28, 09:04 PM
Q351

Can you enchant wondrous items that give armor bonuses as if they were armor? If something has a +1 armor bonus, can you change it to a +4 as if you were doing the same to a suit of armor?

Jormengand
2013-07-29, 05:29 AM
A350: It depends. If it increases specifically the item's base price then it's 120, if it increases the item's price it's 121. I'm not sure what effects you're talking about, though they should state the same thing. (If not, you apply the one which increases price first and then base price second so it's still 120 :p)

A351: No. It's still not armour, it's a wondrous item.

Keneth
2013-07-29, 06:24 AM
A350 Depends on how you treat percentages. Generally speaking though, factors always work off the base price. Just like 100gp *2 *2 would amount to 300gp, I imagine 100gp +10% + 10% would be equivalent to 100gp *1.1 *1.1, which amounts to 120gp under standard D&D/PF multiplication rules. It gets trickier when dividing or reducing values by percentages since the rules aren't so straightforward.

A351 conflict You can add armor bonus to wondrous items (which is what bracers of armor are), and you can increase the armor bonus just as easily as on a suit of armor. It costs considerably more though (bonus squared * 1,000gp). What you can't do is add armor enhancements (such as fortification) to wondrous items, at least not in the normal manner.

Jormengand
2013-07-29, 07:51 AM
A351 conflict You can add armor bonus to wondrous items (which is what bracers of armor are), and you can increase the armor bonus just as easily as on a suit of armor. It costs considerably more though (bonus squared * 1,000gp). What you can't do is add armor enhancements (such as fortification) to wondrous items, at least not in the normal manner.

Therefore you cannot "Enchant wondrous items that give armor bonuses as if they were armor." You can "Enchant wondrous items so that they give armour bonuses as though they were armour," but that is not what the question is asking. You can't give them an enhancement bonus or armour enchantments.

Keneth
2013-07-29, 08:00 AM
Your answer was lacking to the point where it was wrong. Considering his post was a two-part question, you should have answered in detail or not at all.

Jormengand
2013-07-29, 08:02 AM
Your answer was lacking to the point where it was wrong. Considering his post was a two-part question, you should have answered in detail or not at all.

No, my answer answered the question and nothing else. Please, stop arguing. The situation has been resolved, whatever you and I think.

Zherog
2013-07-29, 02:35 PM
351 add'l

A351 conflict
What you can't do is add armor enhancements (such as fortification) to wondrous items, at least not in the normal manner.

Minor quibble here, though I suspect it's purely a matter of semantics. Bracers of armor most certainly can have armor special abilities added to them.

Alternatively, bracers of armor can be enchanted with armor special abilities.

As I said, I suspect this is a semantics issue, in that Keneth was saying a run-of-the-mill wondrous item couldn't have special abilities. I just wanted to chip in to make sure it was clear that if we're talking standard bracers of armor, they can in fact have such abilities added.

(And to muddy things more, robes of the archmagi is another wondrous item that grants an armor bonus; that one, however, doesn't specifically say it can have special abilities added.)

3WhiteFox3
2013-07-29, 03:15 PM
Q352 - When a Barbarian rages and gains his Morale bonus to Strength, do the attack and damage bonuses that are gained due to that higher Strength also count as Morale bonuses?

Keneth
2013-07-29, 05:50 PM
A352 No.

As I said, I suspect this is a semantics issue, in that Keneth was saying a run-of-the-mill wondrous item couldn't have special abilities.

That was basically the point of "not in the normal manner". Bracers of armor are specifically designed to replace armor and thus can be enchanted in much the same way. Other wondrous items can be enchanted to provide an armor bonus, but that does not necessarily mean they can have armor special abilities. And they almost certainly can't have them if they don't provide an armor bonus at all.

Mers15
2013-07-29, 06:17 PM
Q351B

It seems like this is a bit situational. The item in question is a snakeskin tunic (Ultimate Equipment 222). It has a +1 armor bonus, a +2 enhancement bonus to DEX, and +2 to saves V poison. Could I purchase one with a greater armor bonus? Say I wanted a +4 bonus total:

If the +1 isn't an enhancement bonus, then I would add a +3 enhancement bonus for a total of +4, right? So that would be an additional cost of 9,000gp.

But if the +1 is an enhancement bonus, then I have to pay for the difference between +1 and +4, which is an additional cost of 15,000gp.

If I could do this, which one would it be?

Keneth
2013-07-29, 06:40 PM
A351B It's an armor bonus, not an enhancement bonus, nor do I think that you can add an enhancement bonus to armor to a wondrous item, that's kind of an armor-specific thing where the two are separate for a reason. There is also the issue of pricing (since there's multiple different abilities on a slotted item), but I think it's safe to say that the cost of increasing the bonus to +4 will set you back at least 15,000gp (or half that if you're the one doing the crafting).

Acora
2013-07-30, 11:59 PM
Q353 Are there any spells in Pathfinder that simulate the ability to wipe an opponent's mind or to drain them mentally, leaving the target mentally weaker and the caster stronger in some way? If not, are there any 3.x spells that do the same?

Trying to build a Dimir mage for a Ravnica campaign.

Keneth
2013-07-31, 02:59 AM
You're playing a Ravnica Pathfinder campaign? :smallamused:

A353 partial Personally, Dimir mages always struck me as more psionic than arcane, although it's been years since my blue/black Dimir deck has seen the light of day, so I may be remembering things wrong. If allowed, a Dread (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/dread/dread-terrors) has many powers that weaken or drain the mind, and inflict fear.

Acora
2013-07-31, 05:40 AM
You're playing a Ravnica Pathfinder campaign? :smallamused:

A353 partial Personally, Dimir mages always struck me as more psionic than arcane, although it's been years since my blue/black Dimir deck has seen the light of day, so I may be remembering things wrong. If allowed, a Dread (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/dread/dread-terrors) has many powers that weaken or drain the mind, and inflict fear.

Yep. Set just prior to all of the planeswalkers showing up in Return, since they make the story much more convoluted than it already is. I'll have to see if my DM will let me recreate my character as a Psion (I'm a Level 2 Mage of the Veil Wizard) but that does seem pretty interesting. Thanks.

Keneth
2013-07-31, 08:10 AM
Well, admittedly, I've never played a Dread before, but considering its got a very limited power list compared to an actual Psion, your DM should be pretty happy that you're switching to a non-Tier 1 class. :smallwink:

BrackenAlistair
2013-07-31, 11:22 AM
Q 354:
I know it is weird question, but are there any official rules on how much can a character write in round/minute/hour etc. ? And if not, do anyone have any quick easy houserule for this?

Jormengand
2013-07-31, 01:08 PM
Q 354:
I know it is weird question, but are there any official rules on how much can a character write in round/minute/hour etc. ? And if not, do anyone have any quick easy houserule for this?

Not to my knowledge. I imagine that in a round, a character can probably write 6 words if they're writing things that they're coming up with, or 12 words if they're copying something across.

Crasical
2013-07-31, 03:00 PM
Q355

Does a wyroot (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/special-materials#TOC-Wyroot) weapon absorb life on a coup de grace

Keneth
2013-07-31, 07:59 PM
A355 dispute The rules for coup de grace clearly state the following.

You automatically hit and score a critical hit.

Therefore, a wyroot weapon will absorb life force on a coup de grace, although the creature will likely die in the process.

Acora
2013-07-31, 10:44 PM
A355 dispute The rules for coup de grace clearly state the following.

Therefore, a wyroot weapon will absorb life force on a coup de grace, although the creature will likely die in the process.

I stand corrected.

Q356 Weapons created from special materials have an additional price when adding a magical enhancement. Cold Iron, for example, is listed as having +2,000 gp when adding a magical enhancement. Is this cost for each level of magical enhancement (ie Would a +2 Cold Iron long sword cost 4000 gp in addition to the cost of making the sword and adding the enhancements)? Also, is there an additional cost for adding a magical property that isn't just an enhancement bonus to an item made from a special material, versus the same enchantment on the same type of item made from standard materials?

Keneth
2013-07-31, 11:02 PM
A356 It's just +2000 gp the first time you enchant the item. Nothing more, nothing less.

Reinkai
2013-08-03, 11:12 AM
Q357

Is it possible for a character to create a scroll containing a spell they cannot cast? For example, could a wizard scribe a scroll of Resurrection with the aid of an oracle that can cast the spell?

RAW seems to indicate no in the section for creating scrolls (CRB 552), but I notice that none of the sections mention the aid of a scroll or another character to meet prerequisites that are not met. Does this only apply to crafting specific items (such as having a scroll of fireball available to create a Flaming weapon)?

Q358

Are there any abilities or traits that would further counteract the oracle curse Clouded Vision? There are several that extend darkvision, for example, would those extend the darkvision granted to the oracle through the curse?

Jormengand
2013-08-03, 11:20 AM
Q357:

No. You cannot use one person's Scribe Scroll and another person's spell.

Q358:

Extends darkvision is extends darkvision. Unless the specific effect needs to know where the darkvision came from, it will affect all forms of darkvision equally.