PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Simple Q&A for Pathfinder 2: Find Harder

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

powerdemon
2013-12-04, 12:39 PM
Q696: Charging while invisible - does it deny the bonus to AC on the first attack?
A 696
Assuming the target does not have invisibility counter-measures, yes.

Benthesquid
2013-12-04, 01:24 PM
Good point. Rephrasing.

Q 692
Can they function as mounts considering they're mindless and mount animals typically require training? Is there anything specifically they could or could not do compared to a live, trained mount?

A 692

My understanding is that combat training for a mount doesn't so much give it new skills, as teach it to do things it wouldn't normally do under certain commands. A skeleton or zombie you animate already obeys your spoken commands.

So you might be able to command a living mount in a Silence field, or with your lips stitched shut, but not a skeletal mount. Otherwise, I think that you It's also worth noting that vanilla zombies (mmm, zombie flavors) have the staggered condition, so they can't move twice in one round.

Psyren
2013-12-04, 02:17 PM
A692: They're not animals anymore, they're undead. Your means of controlling them depend on the means of reanimation and the powers available to you.

For animate dead specifically, they obey your verbal commands. Thus no training is necessary (nor is it possible, what with the lack of brains and all.)

jaydubs
2013-12-04, 07:50 PM
Q697

When a target is hit directly with an alchemist's immolation bomb, does it take the intelligence modifier in damage every round as well?

That is, does an immolation bomb do:

1) 1d6+int modifier in damage every round; or

2) 1d6+int modifier in damage the first round, and then 1d6 damage every round after that?

And similarly, does the int modifier repeat in later rounds for the splash damage of immolation bombs?

Psyren
2013-12-04, 08:44 PM
A697: Your Int mod is added to the repeating damage in both cases (direct hit and splash.)

Dalebert
2013-12-05, 06:42 PM
Q 698
Is there any way for clerics to gain access to more than two domains?

Psyren
2013-12-05, 07:53 PM
A698: Not without multiclassing (and even then, only into druid, so not terribly useful either.) The majority of archetypes take one of your domains away and none gives you a third one. You will have to bring in 3.5 material to do this.

Benthesquid
2013-12-05, 08:11 PM
A698: Not without multiclassing (and even then, only into druid, so not terribly useful either.) The majority of archetypes take one of your domains away and none gives you a third one. You will have to bring in 3.5 material to do this.

A698: The Divine Scion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/c-d/divine-scion) prestige class may do this, although it's not worded clearly.

At 3rd level, a divine scion selects a domain granted by her deity—this domain becomes the divine scion’s chosen specialization in representing her deity. Although most divine scions pick domains that they’ve gained from other classes (such as cleric), they don’t have to do so. Every time a divine scion casts a domain spell from her specialized domain, she heals damage equal to twice the spell’s level.

Psyren
2013-12-06, 12:09 AM
A698: The Divine Scion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/c-d/divine-scion) prestige class may do this, although it's not worded clearly.

It doesn't - you simply select a domain your deity offers and you heal when you cast spells from it. If you select a domain you didn't actually pick, you've essentially wasted the ability.

Draconi Redfir
2013-12-06, 03:27 AM
Q699: The maximum amount of enchantments a weapon or suit of armor can have is a total bonus of ten, up to +5 base enchant, and special abilities who's combined bonuses equal +5, so for example on a sword, a +5 Keen, Ghost touch, Bane of X, defending, keen sword, with each special ability being a +1 bonus each, or +5 Vorpal sword, with the vorpal enchantment being an entire +5 bonus, and everything in between. But there are some enchantments, such as Shadow and greater shadow for Armour enchantments, that do not have a "+1", "+2", "+3", etc bonus as the price, but instead a fixed GP cost such as "7500 GP". How do i know what bonus price they equivilate too for the sake of determining how many abilities i can add to that item?

sorry if that was worded poorly.

Psyren
2013-12-06, 04:19 AM
A699: If an enhancement has a gp value instead of a "+X" that means you can add it to your item without restriction simply by paying the fee. In other words, they're effectively a "+0" enchantment for which you pay just the flat cost. Unlike "plus-based abilities" the cost does not go up if you try to add them to a higher-enhancement item, nor is there a cap on how many gp-based abilities you can add. (You can add glamered, poison-resistant and shadow to +10 armor for instance.)

NeoPhoenix0
2013-12-06, 11:56 AM
Q 700

If a cleric takes the protection domain, does the resistance bonus to saving throws increase with all class levels or just cleric levels?

Q 701

Are you considered your own ally for the purpose of the deflection aura power of the defense subdomain?

Jormengand
2013-12-06, 12:04 PM
A 700: All class levels. Ironically, if it had said "Class levels" it would have mean cleric levels. I suspect it means cleric levels, but that's not really the point.

A 701: You are your own ally, but it specifically targets "You and your allies" anyway.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-12-06, 12:18 PM
A 701: You are your own ally, but it specifically targets "You and your allies" anyway.

Actually, it says "allies within the aura", the aura of protection power of the protection domain says "you and your allies"

Jormengand
2013-12-06, 01:34 PM
Actually, it says "allies within the aura", the aura of protection power of the protection domain says "you and your allies"

Yeah, read the wrong thing. Anyway, the point stands: you are your ally.

genderlich
2013-12-06, 11:01 PM
Q 702

I just gave my players an encounter with some Weresharks in the aquatic dungeon I was trying out, and the party bard got bitten and failed his save against Lycanthropy. I know he doesn't show any symptoms until the next full moon, which I plan on randomly determining, but it says when that happens he automatically shifts into Animal form - not Hybrid form. If he's on dry land when that happens, and he turns into a shark, is he just going to die from not being able to breathe air for a whole night?

Dalebert
2013-12-06, 11:32 PM
Q 703
If you have the Undead Master feat, can you stack it with the Extend metamagic feat to prepare a command undead spell with a duration of 4 days per level?

Q 704
Do skeletons and zombies recover any health on their own over time? Intuitively, it seems not, but wondering about the RAW. I can't find it anywhere.

Keneth
2013-12-07, 01:36 AM
A700 dispute Unless explicitly stated otherwise, the word "level" used in class abilities refers to class level, not character level.

A702 Since he's an aquatic lycanthrope, I imagine he would change fully only after reaching a body of water.

A703 Actually, it would have a duration of 3 days per level. Multipliers always modify the base value in D&D, so x2 and x2 equals x3.

A704 Not unless they're Intelligent.

Cannot heal damage on its own if it has no Intelligence score, although it can be healed. Negative energy (such as an inflict spell) can heal undead creatures. The fast healing special quality works regardless of the creature's Intelligence score.

Kamaei
2013-12-07, 02:21 AM
Q 705
Is there any sort of armor that can protect wings, aka wing armor?(d&d3.5 armor is also viable in my campaign if they do exist in that)

Naomi Li
2013-12-07, 02:35 AM
Q706 If you have the quickdraw feat and threaten your opponent anyway (say, because you have a shield that could be used to bash your opponent), can you draw your weapon and attack your opponent with it as your attack of opportunity?

Kamaei
2013-12-07, 02:43 AM
A706
Since you can draw your weapon as a free action, yes.

Greenish
2013-12-07, 05:31 AM
Q707: If a character is proficient with all martial weapons, but not proficient with shields, does he take the not-proficient-with-weapon penalties (on top of the penalties he has from wearing armour he's not proficient with) if he tries to bash with it?

Keneth
2013-12-07, 09:46 AM
A705 By default, armor protects your entire body, regardless of what it covers. For example, if you take an aimed shot at the head of someone wearing only a chain shirt, you would still have to hit the full AC. In addition, while I do not impose this on my PCs, characters with wings might fall under the "unusual creatures" category, causing the armor to cost more on account of adaptations needed to protect the entire body, including wings.

A706 Since you can draw your weapon as a free action, yes.

A706 dispute Actually, no. Free actions can only be performed on your own turn, with the exception of speech and reloading your weapon if you have Snap Shot. Ergo, you have to perform the attack of opportunity with the weapon you were threatening with.

A707 No, the "not with shields" part refers only to armor as far as I'm aware. Shields are martial weapons and you're proficient with them.

But if you weren't proficient with martial weapons, and you were using the shield as both a weapon and armor piece, you would take penalties for both.

Greenish
2013-12-07, 10:16 AM
706 discussion The actual text says that "[y]ou can perform one or more free actions while taking another action normally". I can't find text stating one way or the other whether an Attack of Opportunity is an action or not, but if it is, you could perform a free action (such as Quick Draw-ing a weapon) while taking it.

Jormengand
2013-12-07, 10:19 AM
706 discussion The actual text says that "[y]ou can perform one or more free actions while taking another action normally". I can't find text stating one way or the other whether an Attack of Opportunity is an action or not, but if it is, you could perform a free action (such as Quick Draw-ing a weapon) while taking it.

An attack of opportunity is a single melee attack, and you can only make one per round. You don’t have to make an attack of opportunity if you don’t want to.
An experienced character gets additional regular melee attacks (by using the full attack action), but at a lower attack bonus. You make your attack of opportunity, however, at your normal attack bonus—even if you’ve already attacked in the round.
An attack of opportunity “interrupts” the normal flow of actions in the round. If an attack of opportunity is provoked, immediately resolve the attack of opportunity, then continue with the next character’s turn (or complete the current turn, if the attack of opportunity was provoked in the midst of a character’s turn).

It's not. It's an attack, not an attack action.

(Sorry, copied it from the 3.5 one, but it says the same thing I think.)

(Yeah, here it is:)

An attack of opportunity is a single melee attack, and most characters can only make one per round. You don't have to make an attack of opportunity if you don't want to. You make your attack of opportunity at your normal attack bonus, even if you've already attacked in the round.

An attack of opportunity "interrupts" the normal flow of actions in the round. If an attack of opportunity is provoked, immediately resolve the attack of opportunity, then continue with the next character's turn (or complete the current turn, if the attack of opportunity was provoked in the midst of a character's turn).

(It interrupts the normal actions, but it's not actually an action.)

Keneth
2013-12-07, 11:13 AM
Whether or not you can perform free actions as part of another action is irrelevant; Except for immediate actions, and where explicitly stated otherwise, all actions can only be performed on your turn. That includes free actions, hence the need for exceptions in the text, so the point is moot.

If we ignore the general guideline and just assume that free actions can be taken as part of AoO, since it can and should be considered an action, then there's a slew of open options that can happen as part of making an attack of opportunity.

That said, I am well aware that there are many proponents of the whole "while taking another action" business, and this argument is far from resolved even to this day. Rule it however you want at your table, I'm sticking to the basics.

Benthesquid
2013-12-07, 05:37 PM
Q707: What happens if multiple occurrences that would force a concentration check occur at the same time? What happens if
A: They are different instances of the same type of occurrence (for example, two attacks of opportunity or readied actions dealing damage)?
B: They are different types of occurrence (for example, a readied attack does damage to a wizard trying to cast in a rainstorm)?

Keneth
2013-12-07, 06:35 PM
A707 You roll for each one. If any of the rolls fail, the spell also fails.

Naomi Li
2013-12-07, 09:14 PM
Q708 Does a cavalier's "tactician" ability grant the teamwork feats to their animal companion, other animal companions, and mundane animals in addition to the sapient allies they might have?

Ceaon
2013-12-08, 06:02 AM
Q 709 When a rogue (scout) who possesses the shadowstrike ability from the Shadow bloodline (thanks to the Eldritch Heritage feat) walks 30 feet towards an enemy and uses a shadowstrike against that enemy, would he add sneak attack damage as well?

Edit: Thanks for answering, Keneth and Psyren.

Keneth
2013-12-08, 12:53 PM
A708 If they're your allies, they get the feat, but they might not be able to use it if they're not intelligent enough.

As a general rule of thumb, I would say no, but some teamwork feats may be simple enough for animals to use them.

A709 Assuming we're talking about a scout with the Skirmisher ability, yes, and the sneak attack would deal nonlethal damage.

Psyren
2013-12-08, 01:01 PM
A708: Yes, yes, and maybe. "Mundane animals" have to be friendly or controlled/conditioned in some way to be considered your allies. Animal Companions (yours and those of other party members) are automatically considered to be allies.

A709: EDIT: Misread Skirmisher, that will work. Note that this will do nonlethal sneak attack damage.

andreww
2013-12-08, 01:59 PM
Q710: Wall of Fire can be cast either as a sheet of flame or a ring of fire. Is there anything which requires the sheet version to be straight?

Q711: If the answer to the previous question is no then if you lay out the wall to snake through an area does a creature take damage from it multiple times if it has to pass through multiple sections to reach you?

Benthesquid
2013-12-08, 02:11 PM
A710: Pathfinder doesn't define the word sheet anywhere that I can find, but I would say that the intention is probably for it to be a single straight wall of flame. That being said, if you can lure an enemy through it multiple times, or force them to pass through the circle form twice, they would take damage each time.

Edit: Incidentally, about time for a new thread, eh?

Dalebert
2013-12-08, 10:09 PM
Q 712
If you speak Celestial, can you be understood by creatures with the celestial template that you summon?

ChekhovsGnu
2013-12-08, 10:11 PM
Q713: Can a trapper (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo---ranger-archetypes/trapper) make 1/2 his level in traps a day total, or make 1/2 his level in traps per trap type?

Q174: Can a trapper (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo---ranger-archetypes/trapper) make snare traps and the other trap of his choice gained at level 5 as many times a day as he wants, or do these traps follow the same rules specified for traps learned beyond level 7?

Benthesquid
2013-12-08, 10:18 PM
Q 712
If you speak Celestial, can you be understood by creatures with the celestial template that you summon?

A 712: The Celestial Template does not add Celestial to languages spoken, nor does it increase a creature's intelligence, so I'd say probably not if you couldn't be understood by the creature sans the template.

Psyren
2013-12-09, 02:31 AM
A713: Neither, it's 1/2 level + Wis bonus per day. The type does not matter except for the save DC, how long they last and how they can be disarmed. You can have any number of traps active concurrently.

A714: The use limit applies to all traps. The "another" shows that they are treated the same.

Dalebert
2013-12-09, 08:53 AM
Q 715
Can you use linguistics to learn Dark Elf Silent? Note: Hero Lab let me do it but I anticipate friction with the DM.

Benthesquid
2013-12-09, 09:22 AM
Q 175
Can you use linguistics to learn Dark Elf Silent? Note: Hero Lab let me do it but I anticipate friction with the DM.

A 715: Assuming Dark Elf Silent= Drow Sign Language, then again it's a difference of RAW and RAI. RAW there's nothing to prevent you from taking a secret language via linguistics, but RAI it probably shouldn't work unless you have a Drow, or someone with an awful lot of Drow experience, willing to teach you.

Keneth
2013-12-09, 09:48 AM
A715+ The Sakvroth language, as it's officially known in Pathfinder, is a secret language used only by denizens of the Darklands (predominantly drow). The rules do make provisions for learning skills when that would otherwise be impossible, allowing the GM to justifiably invoke rule 0, so as Benthesquid said, you'd need a tutor or extensive material on the subject in order to learn the language.

Personally, I just use the standard retraining rules for learning new languages: It takes 20 days of training and a tutor/manual. Makes my life easier.

Dalebert
2013-12-09, 04:52 PM
Q 716
How much does it cost a wizard to scribe a new spell into his spellbook?

Q 717
A crawling hand has an INT of 2, equivalent to many animals. Could you teach it a trick (or 6?) such as to come when you make a certain motion with your hand?

Keneth
2013-12-09, 06:11 PM
A716 Depends on the spell level:

{table=head]Spell Level|Writing Cost
0|5 gp
1st|10 gp
2nd|40 gp
3rd|90 gp
4th|160 gp
5th|250 gp
6th|360 gp
7th|490 gp
8th|640 gp
9th|810 gp[/table]

A717 A crawling hand is intelligent, so it understands all commands relayed to in Common (or whatever language it knows), so there's no need to teach it tricks. Creatures with low Intelligence aren't the same as animals, and animals with above average Intelligence scores aren't the same as other creatures.

Naomi Li
2013-12-09, 06:55 PM
Q718 As far as I can tell, a double sling is NOT a double weapon, but can be treated as such for attacking with it. Does this mean that it only needs one set of enchantments instead of one set for each sling pouch?

Psyren
2013-12-09, 06:58 PM
A718: It is a true double weapon, as noted by having the "double" property on the table. You must therefore enchant both ends separately.

Reinkai
2013-12-10, 11:32 AM
Q719 Is there a way to take an oracle revelation from a different mystery than your own?

Dalebert
2013-12-10, 12:02 PM
Q 720
Does a 5th level or higher witch with the fly hex retain the feather fall at will and once per day levitate or are these replaced by fly for 1 min per day?

Q 721
Does her feather fall ability require a standard action, and if so, does that mean it's not useful for things like surprise pit traps?

Reinkai
2013-12-10, 12:13 PM
A720 The witch gains fly in addition to the previous abilities.

A721 It's an immediate action, same as the spell. You can use it at any point, on your turn or otherwise.

Psyren
2013-12-10, 12:50 PM
A719: Yes - you will need UMD and a Ring of Revelation (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/rings/ring-of-revelation) attuned to that mystery. So you could, for example, have the Heavens Mystery but wear a ring that grants you the channel energy from the Life Mystery.

Note the ruling on that page means that non-Oracles still cannot benefit.

JeenLeen
2013-12-10, 04:47 PM
Q 722
Can the feat Vital Strike (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/feats.html#_vital-strike) be used by an archer? What about as part of Flurry of Blows by a Zen Archer?

Karoht
2013-12-10, 05:09 PM
Q 722
Can the feat Vital Strike (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/feats.html#_vital-strike) be used by an archer? What about as part of Flurry of Blows by a Zen Archer?
A722
Vital Strike is a Standard Action. Flurry of Blows requires a Full Round Action normally. I do not know if the Zen Archer Flurry is different in this respect, but even so, you can't combine a Standard Action with a Full Round Action.
Unless your DM house rules otherwise that is. I hear tell that as far as Vital Strike is concerned, such a houserule does happen more often than not, so it couldn't hurt to ask your DM. But, RAW (rules as writen) say no.

Sadly, this means that Vital Strike is also not useable on a Charge either, which is kind of crumby, but thems the breaks.

Psyren
2013-12-10, 07:55 PM
A722 addendum: Vital Strike is, however, usable with Flyby Attack; the second reason why it is nice on Druids.

(The first reason of course is Strong Jaw.)

Reinkai
2013-12-10, 08:39 PM
A719: Yes - you will need UMD and a Ring of Revelation (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/rings/ring-of-revelation) attuned to that mystery. So you could, for example, have the Heavens Mystery but wear a ring that grants you the channel energy from the Life Mystery.

Note the ruling on that page means that non-Oracles still cannot benefit.

Q719+ It seems to specify that you can't take a revelation outside of your mystery, am I reading it wrong?

"While wearing the ring, an oracle has access to that revelation and may use it as if she had it as a normal class feature. The oracle must have the appropriate mystery to use the ring, and must meet the level requirements (if any) of the revelation itself; for example, a ring of revelation (combat healer) is only usable by an oracle of at least 7th level with the battle mystery."

Edit: Are you meaning that it can be activated by an oracle despite the mystery requirement with a UMD check?

Is there any RAW to back that up? I'm not sure my GM would allow that.

Psyren
2013-12-10, 10:27 PM
Q719+ It seems to specify that you can't take a revelation outside of your mystery, am I reading it wrong?

No, you're reading it right -that's why you need UMD like I said. Your own mystery cannot work with the ring, so you need the "emulate a class feature" function of UMD to pretend that you have the correct Mystery keyed to the ring.

Edit: Are you meaning that it can be activated by an oracle despite the mystery requirement with a UMD check?

Is there any RAW to back that up? I'm not sure my GM would allow that.

The relevant rules are as follows:

1) UMD has two bits you need:

You make a Use Magic Device check each time you activate a device such as a wand. If you are using the check to emulate an alignment or some other quality in an ongoing manner, you need to make the relevant Use Magic Device check once per hour.

"Emulate a Class Feature: Sometimes you need to use a class feature to activate a magic item. In this case, your effective level in the emulated class equals your Use Magic Device check result minus 20. This skill does not let you actually use the class feature of another class. It just lets you activate items as if you had that class feature. If the class whose feature you are emulating has an alignment requirement, you must meet it, either honestly or by emulating an appropriate alignment with a separate Use Magic Device check (see above)."

Combining these two passages means, if you succeed at a DC 21 UMD check 1/hour, you can emulate the Mystery class feature needed to use the ring, basically by fooling the ring into thinking you count as an Oracle 1 with {mystery you don't actually possess.}

2) The "Mystery" class feature says:

"Each oracle draws upon a divine mystery to grant her spells and powers. This mystery also grants additional class skills and other special abilities. This mystery can represent a devotion to one ideal, prayers to deities that support the concept, or a natural calling to champion a cause.
Regardless of its source, the mystery manifests in a number of ways as the oracle gains levels. An oracle must pick one mystery upon taking her first level of oracle. Once made, this choice cannot be changed."

Because you pick the mystery once you gain the mystery class feature, UMD allows you to emulate it and pick a different mystery than the one you started with. That is all the ring needs to do its thing - it will then grant you the specific revelation encoded within it, according to its particular potency. (1-6 for standard, 7+ for greater, 11+ for superior.)

Finally: whether your DM allows it is really up to him. Remember that RAW doesn't necessarily matter at the game table. But this trick itself has been discussed many times before.

Griffin
2013-12-10, 10:41 PM
Warrior of the holy light ability

At 12th level, the nimbus of light is treated as daylight for the purposes of affecting creatures with sensitivity to light. In addition, the nimbus grants allies in the area resistance 10 to one type of energy, selected by the warrior of the holy light when this power is activated.

Q- 723 If you are a Drow paladin warrior of the holy light variant, does this ability affects you causing the effects of light blindness? even if you are the source of the light?

Psyren
2013-12-10, 11:25 PM
A723: Yes, you will be dazzled. Just one more hazard of being a Drow Paladin. The penalty is minor however.

The 1 round of blindness, however, is not clear. It's arguable that, since you are the one who activates the ability, it doesn't count as "abrupt exposure" since you know it's coming and can briefly close your eyes or otherwise steel yourself. So that one is a DM call; I would personally waive the blindness for your own light.

Karoht
2013-12-11, 12:54 AM
Q719-Follow up question.
So lets say I'm an Oracle and I find a Ring of Revelation, and it is attuned to the Nature Mystery. Particularly, this lovely little gem:
"Bonded Mount (Su): You gain the service of an unusually intelligent, strong, and loyal mount. The creature must be one that you are capable of riding and is suitable as a mount. A Medium oracle can select a camel or a horse. A Small oracle can select a pony or wolf, but can also select a boar or a dog if she is at least 4th level. This mount functions as a druid’s animal companion, using your oracle level as your effective druid level. Bonded mounts have an Intelligence score of at least 6."

So I put on the ring and I have an animal companion. What happens if I take the ring off and give it to another Oracle? What if I take it off and put it back on again? Do I choose a new animal companion? Does the same one come back?

Psyren
2013-12-11, 01:28 AM
A719 follow-up: You would lose and regain your companion every time you removed and replaced the ring. Note that while you do gain the services of the animal, the DM is the one who gets to decide when it arrives and how. (For example, if you're underground, it may be waiting for you when you exit.) There's an animal somewhere out there waiting to follow your orders, but it won't necessarily teleport to your side; it will instead be sent along by whatever enigmatic forces power your Mystery at their own pace.

In addition, Ultimate Campaign states that "losing or dismissing" an animal companion means you must take 24 hours of prayer to attune yourself to the new one. If you take the ring off and put it on again, those rules could be invoked.

Jett Midknight
2013-12-11, 12:28 PM
Q-724 For Symbol of Sealing it says it's duration is permanent. It also says that it is triggered as soon as it is cast. My question is this, does the Symbol disappear after the initial Wall of Force that is creates goes away, or does the symbol then recharge and can be triggered as many times as needed until the symbol is destroyed?

Psyren
2013-12-11, 01:07 PM
A724 it's not clear, but it does appear that the symbol can be triggered subsequent to creation (otherwise the "attunement" of some subset of people/minions wouldn't make sense) and therefore that it can be triggered more than once. I would say the wall lasts for the 10 min./level then vanishes, and the symbol can then make a new one to stop anyone attempting to bypass it without the password or being attuned.

Spore
2013-12-11, 03:11 PM
Q725 So if you bought a animal companion ring as well as HAD the revelation, the ring would be

a) useless?

b) grant me ANOTHER mount/AC?

Psyren
2013-12-11, 03:30 PM
A725: It would be useless; if you already have the revelation stored in a particular ring, the only benefit will be if that revelation has uses/day (you get one extra.) The Animal Companion is constant.

Eladrinblade
2013-12-11, 03:52 PM
Q 726

There is a line about haunts (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/mastery/haunts.html) that I don't understand.

All primary effects created by a haunt are mind-affecting fear effects, even those that actually produce physical effects. Immunity to fear grants immunity to a haunt's direct effects, but not to secondary effects that arise as a result of the haunt's attack.

Does this mean that each haunt has a fear effect and a secondary spell effect? Or does it mean the secondary spell effect is a fear effect, in addition to being whatever else it is (like a fireball)? Or is it something else?

edit: ahh, so the fireball is composed of fear-magic, and can only affect people vulnerable to fear.

Psyren
2013-12-11, 04:13 PM
A726: Okay, so, this one is a little tricky. I found a quote from the creator of the mechanic (Jim Groves, author of the PFS scenario where the mechanic debuted.) Hopefully this answers your question.

That's a very tricky question. In fact its a great question.

I'm going to try to answer, but I might be a bit clumsy, but bear with me.

A primary effect for a haunt can be physical, but in this case its still fear based. So a paladin is not affected by it. However that physical (but fear based) effect can do something that indirectly affects the paladin.

For example: a haunt that triggers a telekinetic effect that throws around characters and objects will not grab or slam a paladin into a wall. It might however pick up an object and throw it at a paladin, injuring them. In this example, what is injuring the paladin is not telekinesis or 'force', but rather the anvil that sailing towards their head at high velocity.

Using that same example, the haunt cannot use the effect to bullrush the paladin. It can however bullrush his ally into the paladin.

Another example: A haunt makes an entire room burst into flame. It does not affect the paladin, because its fear based. It is however physical. So if the paladin were standing in a patch of 'real' oil that had been spilled on the floor, that oil can ignite- and that real oil can produce real flames that will injure the paladin.

The logic is a little tricky sometimes.

A good way to look at it, is to treat it like a Shadow Evocation, except if you are immune to fear it is as though you disbelieved it with 0% reality.

JoeYounger
2013-12-11, 04:44 PM
Q:727

If I'm a synthesist summoner with a beped eidolon, using a great sword as my primary weapon... Can I take the reach evolution for my bite and use it for AoOs to benefit from the extra reach?

Karoht
2013-12-11, 04:47 PM
Q:727

If I'm a synthesist summoner with a beped eidolon, using a great sword as my primary weapon... Can I take the reach evolution for my bite and use it for AoOs to benefit from the extra reach?
A727:
To quote the reach Evolution directly:
"One of an eidolon’s attacks is capable of striking at foes at a distance. Pick one attack. The eidolon’s reach with that attack increases by 5 feet."
So if you pick Reach for your Bite attack, no, it does not apply to the weapon in your hands. Or any other natural weapon you might have. You could pick your hands wielding the weapon, but you would have to pay for it separately.

Meanwhile, if you get a size increase from the Large/Huge evolutions, then it applies to all attacks, including weapon attacks.

Acora
2013-12-11, 07:36 PM
I have some questions about how poisons work. Specifically I'm looking at Blue Whinnis.

Q728 Do all effects of a poison happen immediately? Blue Whinnis, for example, lists it's initial effect as '1 con damage' and it's secondary effect as 'unconscious for 1d3 hours'. If a person fails their first save to resist the poison, would they immediately take the con damage and fall unconscious, or would they take the con damage immediately but fall unconscious if they fail their saves to be cured? If it's the former, I have a bit of a subquestion, as well. If they fall unconscious immediately upon being poisoned, would saving to cure themselves make them become conscious again, or would they still be unconscious?

Psyren
2013-12-11, 08:05 PM
A728: Pathfinder changed things up slightly by introducing one broad heading called "Afflictions." Diseases, Poisons, Drugs and certain Curses all fall under this label, and have slight deviations depending on what you're dealing with.

The general affliction rules are here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/afflictions), along with links to the Poison rules.

For your specific questions:

a) Blue Whinnis has no "Onset" (lead) time - this means the initial effect (the Con damage) happens instantly if you fail that first fort save. If you succeed here, you avoid the entire poison.

b) "Secondary" effects happen when you fail subsequent saves. So for BW it goes:

- Get hit with the poison, make a save. Failure = take 1 Con damage.
- At the end of that round, make another save. Failure = Unconscious for 1d3 rounds.
- At the end of the second round, make another save. Failure = Unconscious for 1d3 rounds. (This stacks with the first unconsciousness, so you could end up being knocked out for up to 6 rounds from one dose.)
- Affliction ends, no more saves need to be made. (Though again, you may still be unconscious for awhile.)

Success at any of the above points ends the affliction, otherwise it will end on its own after the second round. If you fail the first periodic save and end up unconscious, but you pass your second save, the poison will no longer threaten you, but you may end up having to sleep a little while longer if you rolled a 2 or 3 on the sleep duration. The Con damage will also stay until healed/cured.

Acora
2013-12-11, 08:12 PM
A728: Pathfinder changed things up slightly by introducing one broad heading called "Afflictions." Diseases, Poisons, Drugs and certain Curses all fall under this label, and have slight deviations depending on what you're dealing with.

The general affliction rules are here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/afflictions), along with links to the Poison rules.

For your specific questions:

a) Blue Whinnis has no "Onset" (lead) time - this means the initial effect (the Con damage) happens instantly if you fail that first fort save. If you succeed here, you avoid the entire poison.

b) "Secondary" effects happen when you fail subsequent saves. So for BW it goes:

- Get hit with the poison, make a save. Failure = take 1 Con damage.
- At the end of that round, make another save. Failure = Unconscious for 1d3 rounds.
- At the end of the second round, make another save. Failure = Unconscious for 1d3 rounds. (This stacks with the first unconsciousness, so you could end up being knocked out for up to 6 rounds from one dose.)
- Affliction ends, no more saves need to be made. (Though again, you may still be unconscious for awhile.)

Success at any of the above points ends the affliction, otherwise it will end on its own after the second round. If you fail the first periodic save and end up unconscious, but you pass your second save, the poison will no longer threaten you, but you may end up having to sleep a little while longer if you rolled a 2 or 3 on the sleep duration. The Con damage will also stay until healed/cured.

Q729 (I guess?) It's 1d3 rounds of unconsciousness? The SRD said hours.

Psyren
2013-12-11, 08:32 PM
Q729 (I guess?) It's 1d3 rounds of unconsciousness? The SRD said hours.

Yeah, my bad, it's hours. So failing two saves will definitely mean you're out for awhile, and failing all 3 can have you out all night.

Acora
2013-12-11, 08:35 PM
Yeah, my bad, it's hours. So failing two saves will definitely mean you're out for awhile, and failing all 3 can have you out all night.

Well ****, so two failed saves could put a character out of a fight entirely.

Benthesquid
2013-12-11, 08:45 PM
Q730: Can you trade move or standard actions for swift actions? IE, instead of a move, a standard, and a swift, can I take a move and two swifts, or three swift actions and no others?

Psyren
2013-12-11, 08:54 PM
A730: There is currently no way to get more swift actions, including action trades.

Well ****, so two failed saves could put a character out of a fight entirely.

At DC 14 it's pretty low risk though.

Quintessence
2013-12-12, 01:22 PM
Q731

How exactly does Form Mind Armaments work, like do I split the enhancement points between the armor and weapon or do they each get the full amount?

Psyren
2013-12-12, 01:51 PM
Ooh, a psionics question.

A731: The latter - each gets the full amount, no further division is needed. This is already balanced by EMA having a slower enhancement progression than Enhanced Mind Blade.

Quintessence
2013-12-12, 02:01 PM
Ooh, a psionics question.

A731: The latter - each gets the full amount, no further division is needed. This is already balanced by EMA having a slower enhancement progression than Enhanced Mind Blade.

Thank you for the quick and precise answer :)

It also looks like even though the progression is slower Form Mind Armaments gets more overall..?

Psyren
2013-12-12, 02:17 PM
Thank you for the quick and precise answer :)

It also looks like even though the progression is slower Form Mind Armaments gets more overall..?

From a numbers perspective the regular soulknife gets more - +9 total, or +8 each if you form two blades (without the Full Enhancement bladeskill anyway.) Either way, still more than the +7 that AB caps at.

But, AB (probably) doesn't have to buy armor, and that does free up a nice chunk of WBL for other things.

Quintessence
2013-12-12, 02:46 PM
From a numbers perspective the regular soulknife gets more - +9 total, or +8 each if you form two blades (without the Full Enhancement bladeskill anyway.) Either way, still more than the +7 that AB caps at.

But, AB (probably) doesn't have to buy armor, and that does free up a nice chunk of WBL for other things.

I see, thanks for clearing that up. I just realized you are the maker of the Soulknife handbook for PF... If possible could you assist me with crafting an effective soulknife? I was trying to follow your guide but it stops rather abruptly and doesn't really expand on how to make each type of soulknife along with the pros and cons of each.

Psyren
2013-12-12, 03:05 PM
I see, thanks for clearing that up. I just realized you are the maker of the Soulknife handbook for PF... If possible could you assist me with crafting an effective soulknife? I was trying to follow your guide but it stops rather abruptly and doesn't really expand on how to make each type of soulknife along with the pros and cons of each.

Sure, go ahead and make a thread. I stopped because Ultimate Psionics is supposed to come out this month :smallbiggrin:

Quintessence
2013-12-12, 03:23 PM
Sure, go ahead and make a thread. I stopped because Ultimate Psionics is supposed to come out this month :smallbiggrin:

Oh ok, I made the thread. Thanks :)

DarkSonic1337
2013-12-13, 03:58 AM
Q732

Is there a way for me to wield a weapon in my tail as a Vanara (other than a class ability)? Alternatively, is there a way for my tail to perform somatic components for me?

ArqArturo
2013-12-13, 01:24 PM
Q733

Can you affect Cure/Inflict spells with the Elemental Spell to deal damage in the appropriate situation (inflict for living creatures, cure for dead ones)?.

Psyren
2013-12-13, 01:31 PM
A732: No but it can hold non-weapon items (e.g. a metamagic rod) while your hands do other things.

A733: Yes. Elemental Spell will even work on untyped damage spells.

Benthesquid
2013-12-13, 04:09 PM
A733 Quibble

You can replace a a spell's normal damage with cold, fire, electricity or acid, or split the damage between the original type and one of those elements, so you could use a Cure Spell to inflict damage (or an inflict spell to damage undead). However, you cannot change it to positive or negative energy damage.

And given the way you have it phrased- you can already use inflict to damage living creatures, or cure to damage the undead.

Reinkai
2013-12-13, 04:35 PM
A733+ So you could use elemental spell to change an inflict from dealing negative energy to a living creature to fire damage? Could use change a cure from positive to fire damage when targeting a living creature, or no because it's not dealing "damage" to the target?

Psyren
2013-12-13, 04:48 PM
A733+: The spell must be in "damage mode" before changing the element will do anything. So you cannot burn a living creature with "Fire-Cure Light Wounds" for instance.

Plerumque
2013-12-14, 09:24 AM
Q734

Can you make a wondrous item into an animated object using the alternate construction rules here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/animated-object#construction-points)?

Cieyrin
2013-12-14, 11:08 AM
A 734 Yes, it would just cost 1.5 times for adding an additional ability to an existing magic item.

Dude_Here
2013-12-14, 02:17 PM
Q735

Regarding the grease spell, if you fail your acrobatics check while trying
to enter a greased area are you prevented from entering the greased area
or are you stuck in the first square you entered?

Remian Emberton
2013-12-14, 07:03 PM
A735
You're stuck in the first square that you entered. The rule basically means that if you fail your acrobatics check, you're slipping around instead of moving. But of course, if you fail the acrobatics check by 5 or more, you fall i that first square.

Bickerstaff
2013-12-14, 09:02 PM
Q736

What kinds of penalties to attack does the "Shield Master" feat remove? I mean, the text on the SRD says "any penalties on attack rolls", but does that include TWF penalties? Iterative attack penalties? Penalties to your attacks from being shaken?

Psyren
2013-12-15, 06:50 AM
A736: It refers to TWF penalties only. You should read the "while" as "because"; as in: "You do not suffer any penalties on attack rolls made with a shield because you are wielding another weapon." So things like being shaken, cursed etc. will still apply.

Altair_the_Vexed
2013-12-15, 08:51 AM
Q737
If a creature has DR X / magic and silver, the RAW says that the weapon has to be both types to overcome this:

A few other creatures require combinations of different types of attacks to overcome their damage reduction (such as “magic and silver”), and a weapon must be both types to overcome this type of damage reduction. A weapon that is only one type is still subject to damage reduction.
But the RAW also go on to say that if a weapon has a high bonus, it also overcomes certain DR:

Weapons with an enhancement bonus of +3 or greater can ignore some types of damage reduction, regardless of their actual material or alignment. The following table shows what type of enhancement bonus is needed to overcome some common types of damage reduction.

cold iron/silver +3
adamantine +4
alignment-based +5

Does that mean that a +3 weapon counts as cold iron, silver and magic? Would it overcome DR X / silver and magic?

Psyren
2013-12-15, 09:00 AM
A737: Yes and yes.

Dalebert
2013-12-15, 09:00 AM
A 737
Yes, a +3 weapon would overcome magic, silver, and cold-iron DR.

Naomi Li
2013-12-15, 07:45 PM
Q738 Does clothing with an enhancement bonus to AC count as "armoured" for purposes of disabling a monk's class features? (Such as from a magic vestment spell. Or, if one is willing to build on top of RAW, by giving the clothing a permanent enhancement bonus to AC using craft magical arms and armor)

Psyren
2013-12-16, 03:00 AM
A738: No - armor bonuses to AC do not count as "armor" for the purposes of what monks are allowed to wear, only actual armor does. This also means a monk can wear Bracers of Armor without penalty.

Hobosub
2013-12-16, 12:29 PM
Q739: If a barbarian uses the No Escape (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/rage-powers/paizo---rage-powers/no-escape-ex) rage power, what options does he have on his initiative?

For example kobold A withdraws from the barbarian towards kobold B and the barbarian uses No Escape to move with him as an immediate action.
Now the barbarian is again standing next to kobold A, and his initiative comes up.
Can the barbarian full-round kobold A? Can he decide to charge kobold B? (effectively moving up to 4x his speed in a single turn and still getting to attack)

I seem to recall in 3.5 there was a rule about movement outside your turn counting towards the movement you had in your turn, but so far I haven't been able to find anything about this in PF.
The only thing I could find was that you lose your swift action (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Immediate-Actions) because you've used an immediate action for No Escape.

Please include relevant sources if any in the answer.

Jormengand
2013-12-16, 12:50 PM
A739: You can do anything you could normally, except that you lose the swift action.

Psyren
2013-12-16, 01:02 PM
A739 continued: You don't lose any of the next turn's movement unless the ability specifically says you do (which this doesn't.)

Naomi Li
2013-12-16, 06:16 PM
Q740 If you take a weapon with a base damage of 1 and decrease the damage dice by another step (such as by making it one size smaller), what happens? Does it not function as a weapon? Does it have a base damage of 0? Or does it maintain a base damage of 1?

Cieyrin
2013-12-16, 07:34 PM
A 740 Going by the weapon damage table for weapons of sizes other than small or medium, if you decrease a size category when your weapon does 1 damage in the last size category, it becomes incapable of harming other creatures, as indicated by the '-' entry for Medium weapons that start at d2 and go down to Tiny, with the damage in between for Small weapons at 1.

Psyren
2013-12-16, 07:47 PM
A740 addendum: Note that all attacks do a minimum of 1 nonlethal damage unless reduced by DR/hardness.

Dalebert
2013-12-16, 10:41 PM
A740 addendum: Note that all attacks do a minimum of 1 nonlethal damage unless reduced by DR/hardness.

Q 741
Would that also apply in a case when your negative STR modifier drops the damage to zero?

Q 742
Short of a brief level dip into bard or somesuch (which I haven't ruled out. I'm that desperate) is there something like a knowstone in PF that would give a witch access to prestidigitation?

DarkSonic1337
2013-12-17, 02:49 AM
Q743

Can a Magus combine two weapon fighting with spell combat using a one handed weapon and armor spikes/unarmed strikes/other weapon that doesn't require a hand?

Q744

Can you use an unarmed strike or natural attack to deliver a touch spell using the free attack you get from casting the spell?

Hobosub
2013-12-17, 02:56 AM
Q745: A follow-up on Q739 about No Escape; how should No Escape be resolved in the case of enemies with reach (weapons) withdrawing?

a) Does the enemy move first, after which you move provoking an AoO from him? (because you have to move through a threatened square to end up next to him)

b) Do you both move at the same time, in which case you never leave a threatened square because the adjacent square isn't threatened by a reach weapon (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons#wpn-quality-reach)? Does this mean your target would get an AoO if he threatens adjacent squares? (as is the case for natural reach)

c) something else?

Spore
2013-12-17, 08:24 AM
A741 Yes.

A742 Arcane Talent Feat. (APG) I guess you could craft a wondrous item that does that (I guess you need it on a spell list, don't ya?)

Q746 Would a Oracle 10/Bard 1 - by RAW - get to have Arcane Blast not only as a viable feat, but also to cast this from its divine spell list? Does an Arcane Blast have a (Reflex) save?

Psyren
2013-12-17, 12:07 PM
A742 addendum: I don't know of any items that will do this, but in addition to spore's suggestion you can also be a Samsaran Witch with Mystic Past Life and learn it that way.

A743: No - Spell Combat doesn't actually give you any off-hand attacks at all, those are consumed with casting the spell. So you have no attacks to apply to your spikes, elbows etc.

A744: You can do this by "holding the charge" and then punching (or clawing/biting/etc.) but you won't be able to do so in the same round. If you want to punch/claw in the same round that you cast the spell and deliver it that way, you'll need Spellstrike rather than Spell Combat.

A745: You move with the foe and thus will not pass through his threatened area. The line about provoking refers to you moving through the threatened areas of his allies.

A746: It would seem so but this is unlikely to be intended.

Naomi Li
2013-12-17, 01:16 PM
A742 Addendum There are at least two magic items that will give any character at-will access to prestidigitation, though they won't be added to any spell lists. The eight varieties of Cloak of the Hedge Wizard and Gloves of the Cheating Apprentice. They all also grant at least one more spell than prestidigitation and are, I think, exceptionally useful items.

Q747 Is there anything in the fluff to indicate whether Golarion dwarves are supposed to be able to produce half-celestial offspring?

- Ah, it seems there are dwarven aasimars, so it seems exceptionally likely that such crossings are both possible and fertile.

Dalebert
2013-12-17, 04:18 PM
Q 748
If you have only one level as a wizard and and the rest in another arcane casting class, are you able to add enchantments to your arcane bond item when you reach the character level when you would be eligible to take the corresponding crafting feat? (e.g. 5th level if you have a wand, 11th for a staff...)

Psyren
2013-12-17, 04:50 PM
A747: Half-Celestial Dwarves are certainly possible but the line ends with them. PCS, ISWG and the ARG all agree on one point - Aasimars are descended from humans and only humans. ARG even goes so far as to say this:

"It is unclear why the touch of the celestial is felt so much more strongly in humanity than other races, though it may be that humanity’s inherent adaptability and affinity for change is responsible for the evolution of aasimars as a distinct race. Perhaps the endemic racial traits of other races are too deeply bred, too strongly present, and too resistant to change. Whatever dalliances other races may have had with the denizens of the upper planes, the progeny of such couplings are vanishingly rare and have never bred true."

A748: Yes - because Arcane Bond refers to the requirements of the crafting feat, it means "character level" in that context because that is what the feat needs.

Naomi Li
2013-12-17, 05:21 PM
A747 Rebuttal Blood of Angels (A later work than all those previously mentioned and more focused on this particular topic, so probably superseding them, explicitly allows for non-human aasimars (but not non-humanoid ones). See the sidebar on page 4, and there are references throughout to aasimars of non-human lineage. Statwise they're identical to human-born ones other than size, and human-born aasimars are by far the most common on Golarion, but they're allowed unless Blood of Angels is declared non-canonical. (Either officially or by the gaming group)

Psyren
2013-12-17, 06:16 PM
Actually the ARG came out after Blood of Angels, and BoA appears to refer to aasimar "variants."

But we can make a separate thread to hash this out (and it's an issue of fluff anyway rather than rules.)

Naomi Li
2013-12-17, 11:38 PM
Q749 If a therianthrope negates its weakness to silver (See "Night of Silver Blood" explained in the Guide to Darkmoon Vale), does this change its DR to DR/-, or DR/silver but silver (and, presumably, mithral) doesn't count as silver for bypassing it? (Thus leaving open +3 or greater weapons)

JeenLeen
2013-12-18, 10:52 AM
Q 750
For a multi-class Oracle/Summoner with the Deafened curse, would one's Eidolon be able to hear normally?

Q 751
For the above, would the Oracle be able to cast Summoner spells as if with Silent Spell for free (like Deafened lets them cast Oracle spells)?

Ravens_cry
2013-12-18, 06:21 PM
Q752
Can you, as a cleric, take your domain spell in other slots? What I mean is, can you have your domain spell and take that spell multiple times by using other slots of that spell level.

Psyren
2013-12-18, 06:48 PM
A750: Yes, it has its own senses separate from yours.

A751: It seems that it will apply to all your spells.

A752: Not unless your domain spell is also on the regular cleric list:

If a domain spell is not on the cleric spell list, a cleric can prepare it only in her domain spell slot.

An exception to this rule is the Theologian archetype from UM; they get only one domain, but can prepare the spells from that domain in non-domain slots.

Ravens_cry
2013-12-18, 07:09 PM
A752: Not unless your domain spell is also on the regular cleric list:

If a domain spell is not on the cleric spell list, a cleric can prepare it only in her domain spell slot.

An exception to this rule is the Theologian archetype from UM; they get only one domain, but can prepare the spells from that domain in non-domain slots.

Ah, <expletive redacted/>:smallannoyed:
Can you source that quote please though?

Psyren
2013-12-18, 07:33 PM
Ah, <expletive redacted/>:smallannoyed:
Can you source that quote please though?

Cleric entry under Domains. (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/classes/cleric.html#_cleric)

DarkSonic1337
2013-12-19, 11:30 PM
Q752 Are there any ways to count as having a natural twenty on an attack roll besides actually rolling a natural twenty and the coup de grace?

Benthesquid
2013-12-19, 11:45 PM
Q752 Are there any ways to count as having a natural twenty on an attack roll besides actually rolling a natural twenty and the coup de grace?

Not terribly useful, probably A752:

Once per day, a Cyclops can choose the outcome of one roll they make.

Greenish
2013-12-20, 03:05 AM
Q753 If you were to use Pageant of the Peacock (https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/classes/core-classes/bard/archetypes/paizo---bard-archetypes/masterpieces/pageant-of-the-peacock) to replace your Linguistics (https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/skills/linguistics) check for forgery with a Bluff check, could you apply the bonus from Glibness (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/g/glibness) to that check?

Spore
2013-12-20, 07:35 AM
A753By RAW, only when you use it with Perform (Act) (since Perform (dance) doesn't contain words for glibness to influence). But since forgery contains written and not spoken word, I wouldn't allow Glibness (since ou will never roll Sense Motive on a piece of paper).

Short story: No, Glibness affects spoken and not written word.

Acora
2013-12-20, 10:59 AM
Q754 Does a wizard need to make a spellcraft check to copy spells from a spellbook he owns, into another one that he owns? I'd like a source if possible.

Psyren
2013-12-20, 11:28 AM
A754: It works just like learning a spell, so yes:

Replacing and Copying Spellbooks

A wizard can use the procedure for learning a spell to reconstruct a lost spellbook.
Duplicating an existing spellbook uses the same procedure as replacing it, but the task is much easier. The time requirement and cost per page are halved.

If the spell is from your specialty school you gain a +2 bonus on the check.

Greenish
2013-12-20, 02:40 PM
A753By RAW, only when you use it with Perform (Act) (since Perform (dance) doesn't contain words for glibness to influence). But since forgery contains written and not spoken word, I wouldn't allow Glibness (since ou will never roll Sense Motive on a piece of paper).What does Perform (Dance) have to do with anything?

For that matter, what does Sense Motive have to do with anything?

Short story: No, Glibness affects spoken and not written word.Why not, by RAW?

Benthesquid
2013-12-20, 04:32 PM
Why not, by RAW?

Your speech becomes fluent and more believable, causing those who hear you to believe every word you say. You gain a +20 bonus on Bluff checks made to convince another of the truth of your words. This bonus doesn't apply to other uses of the Bluff skill, such as feinting in combat, creating a diversion to hide, or communicating a hidden message via innuendo.

Emphasis mine. Not sure what Perform Dance or Sense Motive have to do with it, but Glibness applies only in very specific cases.

Dalebert
2013-12-20, 04:44 PM
Q 755
A cleric has a zombie under her control via the Command Undead feat and has commanded it to attack invaders (the PCs). The party wizard casts command undead on it and tells it to just stand there. The cleric is not currently present.

I thought I read something about a charisma check against someone else exerting control over the same undead minion but now I'm not seeing that in the spell description. How do you resolve this? Does the wizard now have control unless and until the cleric channels again and potentially regains it?

Q 756
The original cleric is later present and issues a command to the same zombie (without channeling again). Does it resolve differently? If she channels again to regain control, what happens?

Spore
2013-12-20, 10:57 PM
Emphasis mine. Not sure what Perform Dance or Sense Motive have to do with it, but Glibness applies only in very specific cases.

You are not singing while dancing, are you? Even if you were, you'd roll perform (sing). No words, no glibness.

For that matter, what does Sense Motive have to do with anything?

Sense Motive opposes Bluff:

If you use Bluff to fool someone, with a successful check you convince your opponent that what you are saying is true.

If you forge a document, you do not roll on Bluff and thus cannot replace it with Bluff. You will roll Linguistics directly, where the masterpiece has no influence.

A755
The feat works as the spell and uses daily usages of channel negative energy.

You can give the subject orders, but you must win an opposed Charisma check to convince it to do anything it wouldn't ordinarily do

Source: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/commandUndead.html#_command-undead

A756 If she doesn't channel, she can't change "ownership" of undead. The creatures bound to her will will follow as normal. If she were to channel again, another opposing charisma check is in order (after the will save obv.).

Dalebert
2013-12-21, 09:57 AM
A755
The feat works as the spell and uses daily usages of channel negative energy.

Contention: It works as the spell control undead.

A756 If she doesn't channel, she can't change "ownership" of undead. The creatures bound to her will will follow as normal. If she were to channel again, another opposing charisma check is in order (after the will save obv.).

I found the language I was talking about under the feat which implies that there can be more than one controller at a time.

If an undead creature is under the control of another creature, you must make an opposed Charisma check whenever your orders conflict.

This is looking more complicated than it should be for this thread. I think I will ask about it in this necromancy thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16653667#post16653667) if you or someone else wants to chime in.

Addi
2013-12-21, 10:06 AM
Q757:
Does a Smoke Pellet (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services/herbs-oils-other-substances#TOC-Smoke-Pellet) block line of sight, if you throw it between yourself and the enemy.
Fog Cloud (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/f/fog-cloud) (on which it's based) says that sight is obscured beyond 5 feet (total concealment). Does this mean that Smoke Pellets never give total concealment?

Spore
2013-12-21, 07:14 PM
A757 No. It's a mere diversion for stealth checks.

DarkSonic1337
2013-12-21, 10:04 PM
Q757

Is there a feat or item that makes it easier to stop enemies from avoiding attacks of opportunity via the acrobatics skill?

Not looking for things that give bonuses to CMB in general, but rather specifically give bonuses to my CMB in this case or give penalties to my opponent's acrobatics check (or make it impossible to avoid the AoO with acrobatics at all).

Naomi Li
2013-12-23, 05:51 PM
Q759 If you have at least three ranks in perform (dance) and versatile performance is keyed to perform (dance), does that count for having three ranks in acrobatics for purposes of improving fighting defensively and total defense?

Q760 Does wolfsbane grant an afflicted "lycanthrope" a new saving throw if ingested at any time, or only during the first three days after infection?

Q761 If you have the "improved unarmed strike" feat, can you attempt to disarm an opponent without penalty even without a weapon in hand while retaining the ability to keep the disarmed weapon for yourself? (I am aware that without improved disarm it would still provoke an AoO)

Spore
2013-12-23, 11:58 PM
A758: I only know of one feat Bodyguard (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/advancedFeats.html) that stops the movement in your adjacent square.

A759: No, I wouldn't allow that. But if you were to go all RAW upon your DM, he will surely allow it!

A760: No my books, Lycanthropy is both a disease until it breaks out. Then it is a curse. So I would allow Wolfsbane in the first 3 days and then only accepted a "Remove Curse" spell. But don't nail me down on that, I am really not sure.

A761: Yes. Your unarmed strikes count as weapons after you have gotten the feat. And because you have free hands, you can keept the weapon.

Dude_Here
2013-12-24, 08:46 AM
Q762

When someone has the grappled condition do both combatants
occupy the same square if they are the same size or does the
grappler remain in the adjacent square he was in when he started
the grapple?

Psyren
2013-12-24, 10:22 AM
A760 addendum: The "Broken Moon" adventure path gives a bit more information on how Wolfsbane works:

Many claim that this dangerous toxin can cure both the disease and curse of lycanthropy afflicting a creature. Such a treatment is risky, and is by no means an assured cure, as the victim must consume the poison and thus be exposed to its effects. Should she survive the poison, she is allowed a second saving throw to resist lycanthropy at the same DC as when she first contracted the affliction. If she succeeds, the taint is expunged from her body. If she fails, the wolfsbane has no affect; though this cure might be attempted again, the health-sapping nature of wolfsbane has led many to die of self-afflicted poisoning in the search for their affliction’s cure.

It seems that it was intended to affect the curse as well. Of course, Wolfsbane deals Con damage, which actually hurts your chances of making your lycanthropy save, and indeed hurts your chances of making the wolfsbane save as well.

A762: You don't enter the grappled opponent's square in PF - that's a 3.5 rule. Rather, they must stay adjacent to you; if you have no room to pull them adjacent after the grapple is established, the grapple will fail. (Grab is an exception to this rule, e.g. being grabbed by a tentacle, but if they grapple you with just the limb they take large penalties.)

Griffin
2013-12-24, 12:25 PM
Q763

With the teamwork feat Stealth Synergy (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/stealth-synergy-teamwork) I understand you take the highest roll, however which modifiers apply to said roll? the ones from each individual involded or the highest or all of the members involved?

Thank you

Psyren
2013-12-24, 12:41 PM
A763: It's just the roll that gets shared - you have to add your own modifiers. (The feat table in UC helps make this clearer.)

Griffin
2013-12-24, 01:53 PM
Q764

So with the ability Weal's Champion from the Paladin Archetype Holy Tactician (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/holy-tactician), when you are level 4 and beyond the ability last at least 2 rounds, considering this (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9nda) and the fact that the bonus you grant yourself are untyped and the bonus your grant to your allies are competence type, do the bonus stack?

Cieyrin
2013-12-24, 04:24 PM
A 764 I don't think it's intended in this case, since you get greater bonuses while it lasts and others get the lesser effect. However, as currently written, yes.

Hytheter
2013-12-25, 02:35 AM
Q765
Does the Oracle Curse "Deaf" only grant its benefit to Oracle spells you cast, or does it apply to other classes as well?
For reference, the benefit is: "You cast all of your spells as if they were modified by the Silent Spell feat. This does not increase their level or casting time."

Karoht
2013-12-25, 11:44 AM
Q766: Persistent Bouncing Balls of Doom
Say I decide to stack Bouncing Spell and Persistent Spell on a Save or Suck spell. I throw said spell at a guy with high saves, he succeeds on both saves. There are other viable targets within range for Bouncing to apply to. What happens?

In the world according to my DM... spoilered because I think it's wrong

DudeA makes the save. Spell Bounces.
Persistent makes DudeA save again. DudeA makes the save. Spell Bounces.
DudeB gets hit with both bounces. He gets to make 4 saves. Repeat unto absurdity.

The way I think it works... spoilered for the same reason as above.

/start
DudeA makes the save. I can choose to redirect the spell now if I want.
DudeA makes the second save. Now I redirect.
DudeB makes the first save. Has to make it again.
/end

Spore
2013-12-25, 02:00 PM
A765: As stated a few pages ago, all spells are modified.

A766: My interpretation would be: Bob is the target. Kyle is standing near him. Bob saves. The spell jumps to Kyle. Now Bob does make his 2. save. Kyle makes 2 saves as well. Spell ends.

Don't be so greedy. 4 potential saves from 1 spell slot is way cool. Infinite save loops would break the game and ruin the fun.

Karoht
2013-12-25, 02:22 PM
A765: As stated a few pages ago, all spells are modified.

A766: My interpretation would be: Bob is the target. Kyle is standing near him. Bob saves. The spell jumps to Kyle. Now Bob does make his 2. save. Kyle makes 2 saves as well. Spell ends.

Don't be so greedy. 4 potential saves from 1 spell slot is way cool. Infinite save loops would break the game and ruin the fun.You mean my DM shouldn't be so greedy. I more or less had it right.

genderlich
2013-12-25, 10:52 PM
Q767: When a ranger's Wolf animal companion increases to Large size at 7th level, does its melee reach go up to 10 feet?

Altair_the_Vexed
2013-12-26, 04:56 AM
Q767: When a ranger's Wolf animal companion increases to Large size at 7th level, does its melee reach go up to 10 feet?
A767:
No - bite attacks from large quadrupeds generally have a 5 ft reach. Compare with the dire wolf.

Altair_the_Vexed
2013-12-26, 05:03 AM
Q768
Is there a spell / magical effect out there that allows the target to breathe normally in all environments? Water breathing seems to be the only environment accounted for by the core rules.

Maxymiuk
2013-12-26, 07:04 AM
Q769
Can a dragon that becomes grappled still attack its grappler with all its natural attacks (bite, claws, wings, tail) as part of the full-attack action it can make in lieu of attempting to escape the grapple?

Q770a
For spells that require a standard action to cast and a melee or ranged touch attack to apply their effect, do you make that attack as part of casting the spell, or do you need to wait until you have another standard action available?

Q770b If you are holding a charge on a spell with a melee touch attack range, can you expend that charge during a grapple?

Psyren
2013-12-26, 08:42 AM
A768: Water Breathing will handle water and Planar Adaptation (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/planar-adaptation) will handle just about everywhere else. Air Bubble (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/air-bubble) also covers "similar environments" - letting you breathe in quicksand or a grain silo for instance. (Or under lava, if you found a way to beat the heat, and acid and so on.)

A769: It seems that the dragon would lose one claw attack because you can't take any action while grappled that requires two hands to perform. But otherwise from that, yes, you can full-attack with light or natural weapons while grappled (note that all your attacks will take the -2 penalty.)

A770a: It's part of the action to cast the spell.

A770b: Succeeding on the grapple check will discharge the spell immediately because you have now touched someone.

Maxymiuk
2013-12-26, 08:57 AM
A770b: Succeeding on the grapple check will discharge the spell immediately because you have now touched someone.

Q770b Clarification/Additon:
Does this mean that you can apply a melee touch spell as part of a grapple attempt? Do you possibly have a quote/link on that ruling?

Also, what if you're holding a charge and someone else grapples you?

Psyren
2013-12-26, 09:09 AM
Q770b Clarification/Additon:
Does this mean that you can apply a melee touch spell as part of a grapple attempt? Do you possibly have a quote/link on that ruling?

Also, what if you're holding a charge and someone else grapples you?

A770b clarification: If you were already holding the charge then yes, it would discharge on a grapple (either a grapple you initiate or someone else grabbing you.) But you have to actually be holding the charge first, which basically means this would take at least two rounds to do.

All the rules are here (superscripts indicate which of your questions they answer.)

Touch Spells in Combat

Many spells have a range of touch. To use these spells, you cast the spell and then touch the subject. In the same round that you cast the spell, you may also touch (or attempt to touch) as a free action.770a You may take your move before casting the spell, after touching the target, or between casting the spell and touching the target. You can automatically touch one friend or use the spell on yourself, but to touch an opponent, you must succeed on an attack roll.
Holding the Charge: If you don't discharge the spell in the round when you cast the spell, you can hold the charge indefinitely. You can continue to make touch attacks round after round. If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges.770b If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates.

Dalebert
2013-12-26, 09:38 AM
I've just been ejudicated. I didn't realize you could hold a touch spell. I thought if you missed, it was discharged harmlessly the next round.

Psyren
2013-12-26, 09:44 AM
I've just been ejudicated. I didn't realize you could hold a touch spell. I thought if you missed, it was discharged harmlessly the next round.

Correct, it stays charged (if you want it to - note that it says you can hold the charge, not that you have to.) - however, if you cast anything else you'll lose it, and you have to be careful not to touch allies or objects.

Dalebert
2013-12-27, 05:08 PM
Q 771
Can a ratfolk (small) use a dire rat for a mount that is also in the small size category? The reason I ask is because I heard somewhere on this board that PF didn't have the same size requirements for mounts. Also, ratfolk desc says they ride dire rats so I just assumed there are larger versions of them out there.

EDIT: I just noted that the rats they ride have the giant template applied. I'm just frustrated that Hero Lab didn't have any for sale and I had to settle for a regular dire rat which is currently just being a trained pack animal.

Spore
2013-12-27, 05:34 PM
A771 (imcomplete): I didn't find something on the matter either. However your average Str 12 Dire Rat is capable of holding 43 lbs. it hits medium load. Meaning it already is reduced to 30 ft. speed even when holding the lightest naked ratfolk maiden!

Opposite Day
2013-12-28, 04:57 PM
This has probably been asked multiple times before, but..

Q772
I've seen a few statements saying that Pathfinder is backwards compatible with 3.5. Does this mean that I can select feats from past editions and expect it to be universally accepted? For instance, can I play a Bard with the Song of the Heart feat from 3.5, or would it be up to the jurisdiction of the DM?

Cieyrin
2013-12-28, 05:10 PM
A 772 PF is backwards compatible with 3.5 but whether your DM wants you to use 3.5 books in a PF game is another matter entirely. There are some things that work a bit differently but for the most part they are just minor tweaks one way or the other to make them work.

Naomi Li
2013-12-28, 11:54 PM
Q773 What methods (magical or otherwise) work for locating lycanthropes? (Really therianthropes, but whatever) One I thought of was "locate creature" but I am unsure if they're technically of a different kind after having the template applied.

jaydubs
2013-12-29, 12:25 AM
Q774

So, some of the favored class bonuses have language like this. "Add one spell known from the bard spell list. This spell must be at least one level below the highest spell level the bard can cast."

Does that mean 1 spell at character creation? Per level? Per spell level? Etc.?

Dalebert
2013-12-29, 01:13 AM
Q 775
Magic jar says you can't "activate" supernatural abilities of the host body. In the case of a vampire (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/vampire), several seem automatic. Would you be able to use those?
1) I assume they would have their innate resistances and fast healing, right?
2) Energy drain says it's "triggered" once per round by a slam attack, and you can use their slam attacks.
3) Blood drain seems more iffy. It says a vampire drains blood if she establishes a grapple or pin, and you can obviously grapple or pin while in the body.

Hobosub
2013-12-29, 07:11 AM
Q.776
When using Sneak Attack (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue#TOC-Sneak-Attack) with a standard whip (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/whip) against an armored opponent, does the opponent still get the sneak attack damage?

Cieyrin
2013-12-29, 11:55 AM
A 774That means whenever you take that favored class bonus, you add a spell known to what you're able to cast of one level less than the highest spell level you can cast at that level. For example, a 4th level bard who chooses that bonus can add one 1st or 0 level spell to their spells known outside what they normally get on Table 3-4.

A 776 No, not without Whip Mastery (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/whip-mastery-combat), anyways.

Psyren
2013-12-29, 01:13 PM
A774: You get an extra spell known every time you choose that FC bonus. This makes certain races very powerful choices for spontaneous casters.

A775: This is a bit ambiguous. I'd say anything automatic is usable. Magic Jar in general has some thorny issues that the devs have not addressed.

A776 correction: You actually will do sneak attack damage without Whip Mastery, but it will be nonlethal (similar to SA with a sap.)

Spore
2013-12-29, 01:55 PM
A775 addendum: Technically, activating has nothing to do with being active. Touching the light switch switches the light on, but if the light is already on, you do not have to touch the switch.

Cieyrin
2013-12-30, 12:06 PM
A776 correction: You actually will do sneak attack damage without Whip Mastery, but it will be nonlethal (similar to SA with a sap.)

Is there something that backs that up, as the question asks against an armored (ex. Armor bonus +1 or higher) opponent, something a normal whip can't effectively do damage against. I agree that the whip would do nonlethal Sneak Attack if it could do damage but you have to be able to do damage with your weapon to be able to Sneak Attack with one.

A whip deals no damage to any creature with an armor bonus of +1 or higher or a natural armor bonus of +3 or higher.

Psyren
2013-12-30, 12:12 PM
I missed the "armored" part of the question, sorry.

gr8artist
2013-12-30, 05:49 PM
770 b Addendum
It should be pointed out that you can attempt a grapple with only one hand, at a strong penalty (-4), which would allow you to grapple a guy and hold a touch spell threateningly close to his face, or other such thematics.

and one got skipped a few pages back:
Q749 If a therianthrope negates its weakness to silver (See "Night of Silver Blood" explained in the Guide to Darkmoon Vale), does this change its DR to DR/-, or DR/silver but silver (and, presumably, mithral) doesn't count as silver for bypassing it? (Thus leaving open +3 or greater weapons)

Naomi Li
2014-01-02, 08:34 AM
Q777 Is the "spellbook" class feature a prerequisite to gaining wizard spells known, or can anyone do it? (I am well aware that wizard wizard levels there are relatively few things that wizard spells known could be used, but that's not really relevant)

Psyren
2014-01-02, 09:02 AM
Can't really answer 749 as I lack the books in question.

Q777 Is the "spellbook" class feature a prerequisite to gaining wizard spells known, or can anyone do it? (I am well aware that wizard wizard levels there are relatively few things that wizard spells known could be used, but that's not really relevant)

This is very confusing to me. What exactly are you trying to do? A class can learn the spells on its list, with a few exceptions.

Naomi Li
2014-01-02, 09:16 AM
Q777 Note I'm thinking "non-wizard copies spells from other spellbooks into their own spellbook, hopefully adding them to their list of wizard spells known, and then using the spells known list to use spell trigger and spell-completion items without UMD checks, and possibly recharging staves with spellslots from another class entirely and their wizard spells known".

Psyren
2014-01-02, 09:51 AM
A777: Ok. As I said above, a given class can only learn the spells that are on its list. So when a Magus copies a Wizard spell that is common to both classes, that character is actually just copying a Magus spell that merely happens to also be a Wizard spell. It is not possible for them to copy a spell that is not on the Magus list, save via using the Spell Blending and Greater Spell Access features (both of which transform the spells in question into character-specific Magus spells during the transcription process.)

Until said class uses a method such as the two I listed above to actually add those spells to his list as well as his spells known, spell trigger and spell completion items of those spells will be off limits. Even after he does so, Spell Completion items will still be risky to use until he attains the necessary level.

Recharging staves is also simple - so long as just one of the spells in the staff is on your list, you can recharge the staff, even if the highest-level spell in the staff is not. You must be able to cast spells of that level however.

Naomi Li
2014-01-02, 09:58 AM
Q777 Clarification So, you're making the claim that it is impossible to add spells to a class' list of spells known unless you possess at least one level in that class? Where might I look to find that rule? Because it looks like you're talking about a magus adding spells to the list of magus spells known from a wizard, when I am talking about a magus (for example) adding wizard spells known from a wizard to their wizard spells known list. (The vast majority of methods of gaining spells known for a class are flat out impossible without having an appropriate number of levels in that class, but as far as I can tell the wizard spells known list is actually far lower on the prerequisites than every other option)

Psyren
2014-01-02, 10:06 AM
Q777 Clarification So, you're making the claim that it is impossible to add spells to a class' list of spells known unless you possess at least one level in that class? Where might I look to find that rule? Because it looks like you're talking about a magus adding spells to the list of magus spells known from a wizard, when I am talking about a magus (for example) adding wizard spells known from a wizard to their wizard spells known list.

You're asking for a rule that states a negative (i.e. "You cannot learn spells that are not on your list") which is not how the rules are written. Rather, the rules state the positive case ("A magus casts arcane spells drawn from the magus spell list") and what is not stated is not permitted. You won't find, say, a rule that says "A magus can't learn witch spells" or "a ninja can't learn cleric spells" because that is assumed by the fact that nowhere says they can.

Spore
2014-01-03, 02:40 PM
Q778: Is building custom staves allowed by RAW or does this require DM permission?

Q779If I try to recharge a staff of divine and arcane spells with a divine spellcaster, am I required to have the highest level as an arcane spellcaster as well? Example:

Staff of Necromancy
Cause fear (1 charge) (Cleric spell)
Ghoul touch (1 charge)
Halt undead (1 charge)
Enervation (2 charges)
Waves of fatigue (2 charges)
Circle of death (3 charge) (Wizard spell)

Can I recharge that with a 12th level oracle (level 6 spells) or not?

Naomi Li
2014-01-04, 10:59 AM
Q780 Is there any indication as to how being awakened affects a a plant's or animal's children?
A) Is the awakened creature sterile?
B) Can it only have children with a similar awakened creature, or are the base forms still legitimate potential mates? (FAR less squicky with plant-based ones)
C) Are any resulting children awakened as well?

Q781 Are there any rules for increasing the caster level of magic items without adding on new abilities?

Ravens_cry
2014-01-05, 07:24 PM
Q782
The Undead Domain's Death's Kiss (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/domains/paizo---domains/death-domain/undead) says it works as a melee touch attack. Does that mean if you have iterative attacks and/or Haste and everyone is crowded around you, you can do it more than once in a round? If not, what does it mean?

Maxymiuk
2014-01-06, 03:04 AM
Q783
Can nonlethal damage be used to deliver injury type poisons or the bleed condition?

Psyren
2014-01-06, 03:49 AM
A778: That sort of depends on how you define "custom," and whether being "custom" means anything. A strict reading is that any item not listed/priced in a sourcebook is a custom item. Basically it's hard to separate your question from the presence of a DM, since if there isn't a DM then it's irrelevant and if there is one then you'd need their input (or express lack of one) anyway.

A779: All that matters is that you must be able to cast one of the spells in the stave, and you have a spell slot available to donate equal in level to the highest-level spell in the stave. So yes, an Oracle 12 can recharge a Staff of Necromancy.

A780: These are really all DM questions - things like reproduction are rarely covered by the rules.

A781: You can create a magic item at any caster level above the minimum necessary to create the item in the first place. Increasing an existing item's CL should be possible simply by expending gold equal to the cost difference between the current item and its higher CL version, and expending a corresponding amount of time (1 day/1000g.)

A782: If no action is given for a supernatural ability then it is a standard action to activate. The touch attack would be part of the action used to activate the ability in that case. Iteratives would not be usable.

Naomi Li
2014-01-06, 06:02 AM
Q781 Clarification And for the magical items whose cost doesn't change at all from having a higher caster level? Minimum of 1 day to complete it, 0 gp cost, and must pass a spellcraft check for the higher caster level?

Plerumque
2014-01-06, 09:30 AM
Q784

Can a Scrollmaster (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/archetypes/paizo---wizard-archetypes/scrollmaster) Wizard use a nonmagical scroll (so just a piece of rolled-up parchment) as a scrollblade or scrollshield that is destroyed after one hit?

Spore
2014-01-06, 09:40 AM
A784 As the rules stand, no. (Ask your DM, maybe he will allow it as standard short sword refluf).

Raven777
2014-01-06, 03:03 PM
Q785 Can I cast while possessing something with Magic Jar?

Spore
2014-01-06, 03:09 PM
A785: Kind of sketchy interpretation, but I would say yes. Key sentences:

You keep your Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma, level, class, base attack bonus, base save bonuses, alignment, and mental abilities.

Casting is not DEFINED a mental ability, but something which depends on mental abilities scores. It's as close as it gets without being outright defined as mental ability.

Psyren
2014-01-06, 04:22 PM
A785 addendum: your new form must be able to supply the necessary components. If you possess something without hands, you cannot fulfill somatic requirements, something that cannot speak cannot fulfill verbal requirements, and you will probably want Eschew Materials (and to stick to spells without costly components.)

Jett Midknight
2014-01-06, 09:20 PM
[Q786] I read somewhere that no matter how high your BAB you cannot take more than 4 attacks in a full round attack. My question is is this true, as I can't find a reference to it no the SRD, and how does this work with effects like Haste?

Raven777
2014-01-06, 11:02 PM
A786 This is false (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Full-Attack). You can take as many attacks as you can through BAB + various bonuses. For example, a 20th level Fighter with a bow and Rapid Shot and Haste does six attacks per round (4+1+1).

Spore
2014-01-07, 08:10 AM
A786 addendum This sentence was taken from D&D 3.5 where you couldn't get more than 4 ITERATIVE attacks for epic BAB.

CTrees
2014-01-07, 12:27 PM
Q787

Enlarge Person has a section detailing Strength checks to burst enclosures if the subject will not be able to fit in the available space, but doesn't explicitly handle growth impeded by other creatures. What happens if a medium creature subjected to Enlarge Person is in a wide, open room with high ceilings, but just happens to be completely surrounded by enemies (all eight adjacent squares occupied)?

Reinkai
2014-01-07, 03:16 PM
Q787 In PF, two creatures cannot end a turn in the same square, so based on similar situations, they would move to the closest legal square.

CTrees
2014-01-07, 03:45 PM
Q787 In PF, two creatures cannot end a turn in the same square, so based on similar situations, they would move to the closest legal square.

Which creatures, though? The enlarged creature, or its enemies?

Dalebert
2014-01-07, 03:53 PM
A 787
I believe this resolves the question.

If insufficient room is available for the desired growth, the creature attains the maximum possible size and may make a Strength check (using its increased Strength) to burst any enclosures in the process.

The creature growing would move into the available space if it's there. If not, he can make a STR check to push enemies back. Otherwise, he doesn't grow any more. Since the enemies have STR themselves, I believe it would be an opposed STR check.

Psyren
2014-01-07, 03:58 PM
I'd resolve it as a bull rush (using their new strength score to calculate their CMB, and not provoking.)

Reinkai
2014-01-07, 04:51 PM
A 787
I believe this resolves the question.

The creature growing would move into the available space if it's there. If not, he can make a STR check to push enemies back. Otherwise, he doesn't grow any more. Since the enemies have STR themselves, I believe it would be an opposed STR check.

RAI-wise, I would speculate that was for environmental constraints (doorways, small rooms, etc) as opposed to creatures, especially since there's no precident to move other creatures with a strength check.

That said, I think Psyren has the most RAW-worthy answer of using CMB and a bull rush to move each enemy back 5 feet.

Dalebert
2014-01-07, 05:29 PM
RAI-wise, I would speculate that was for environmental constraints (doorways, small rooms, etc) as opposed to creatures

I agree. They don't specifically address being constrained by creatures. It requires an extrapolation.

That said, I think Psyren has the most RAW-worthy answer of using CMB and a bull rush to move each enemy back 5 feet.

No. Psyren's call seems like a reasonable one but if you go straight RAW, what I said has the least artistic license. Bull rush is giving them an extra action. Technically, there is no straight RAW since they don't address creatures specifically, but since it addresses environmental constraints, that's the closest thing that's actually in the desc to think of enemy creatures as. Moving them back just enough for you to fit is the most straight-fwd take on what bursting those constraints would mean.

I think what you're trying to say is his call makes the most sense, and maybe it does, but it's not closer to RAW. However, one might also consider whether you're giving the spell extra power than what it is supposed to have when making that call. I don't know the details of bull rush off the top of my head. I'm just saying to take it into consideration.

Maxymiuk
2014-01-07, 05:44 PM
Q783
Can nonlethal damage be used to deliver injury type poisons or the bleed condition?

Reposting this question, since it seems to have been overlooked.

Reinkai
2014-01-07, 06:36 PM
I agree. They don't specifically address being constrained by creatures. It requires an extrapolation.

No. Psyren's call seems like a reasonable one but if you go straight RAW, what I said has the least artistic license. Bull rush is giving them an extra action. Technically, there is no straight RAW since they don't address creatures specifically, but since it addresses environmental constraints, that's the closest thing that's actually in the desc to think of enemy creatures as. Moving them back just enough for you to fit is the most straight-fwd take on what bursting those constraints would mean.

I think what you're trying to say is his call makes the most sense, and maybe it does, but it's not closer to RAW. However, one might also consider whether you're giving the spell extra power than what it is supposed to have when making that call. I don't know the details of bull rush off the top of my head. I'm just saying to take it into consideration.

But unless they're actually constraining you via a grapple, one could argue that they're simply moved back 5 feet, with no check, unless they have their back to the wall. In that case the character would have a str check to burst the wall.

Edit: Besides, the str check is a break DC, so it's not applicable to creatures by RAW anyway.

Reinkai
2014-01-07, 06:38 PM
A783
Whenever you attack with a poisoned weapon, if the attack roll results in a natural 1, you expose yourself to the poison. This poison is consumed when the weapon strikes a creature or is touched by the wielder

Doesn't specify lethal or non, only contact with the target.

Plerumque
2014-01-07, 07:22 PM
Q788

Would readying an action to use the Conjurer's Shift (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/arcane-schools/paizo---arcane-schools/classic-arcane-schools/conjuration/teleportation) ability to teleport 5' away when targeted by a melee or ranged attack cause said attack to miss?

ksbsnowowl
2014-01-07, 08:34 PM
Q 789: Is there no way to remove the Death Curse of a Linnorm (Bestiary 3)? I don't think there is (it is Supernatural, so can't be dispelled, though standing in an Antimagic Field would stop it temporarily), and the Linnorm entry doesn't mention any way to get rid of them. I'm assuming a simple Remove Curse or Break Enchantment wouldn't get rid of one, but am just checking to make sure.

Karoht
2014-01-07, 11:48 PM
Q 789: Is there no way to remove the Death Curse of a Linnorm (Bestiary 3)? I don't think there is (it is Supernatural, so can't be dispelled, though standing in an Antimagic Field would stop it temporarily), and the Linnorm entry doesn't mention any way to get rid of them. I'm assuming a simple Remove Curse or Break Enchantment wouldn't get rid of one, but am just checking to make sure.
A789
Googled this in under 2 minutes, new personal record!
I went to pathfindersrd.com and searched for Linnorm. Clicked link, scrolled down to the curse. In the curse description was a hypertext link to the curses section under the universal monster rules.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Curse-Su-
All curses bestowed this way are SU. Says in the entry that Curses can be removed with Remove Curse or other such effects.
To be completely sure this was correct, I checked out Diseases and Paralysis. Disease is listed as SU or EX, yet calls out Remove Disease as a means of removing a disease. Paralysis is also SU or EX and calls out Remove Paralysis as a means or removing it.

So even if it is SU, spells still work for removing these things, unless the effect in question specifically says otherwise. For example Mummy Rot requires both a Remove Curse and Remove Disease to get rid of it.

Acora
2014-01-08, 01:06 AM
Two questions.

Q 790 When using a wand as a castor that can cast the spell that the wand would cast, is one required to make a UMD check? I know one is required if you don't have the class abilities that the wand requires, but I didn't know whether or not one was needed by default.

Q 791 When using a wand, what is the castor level of the spell being cast? Is it determined by the person using the wand, or is it the spell level itself?

Giarc
2014-01-08, 01:25 AM
A 790 No, if you are of a class that can cast whatever spells are in the wand, you don't need to make a check.

A 791 The caster level of the wand, typically the lowest possibly CL needed to actually cast the spell.

Spore
2014-01-08, 03:49 AM
A791 extension A wand of Scorching Ray (2th level spell, available for Wizard on minimum CL 3) is minimum CL 3. You could create a wand of Scorching Ray on CL 7 for extra damage per use.

CL 3 would be worth 750 GP x 2 (spell level) x 3 (CL) = 4.500 GP.
CL 7 would be worth 750 GP x 2 (spell level) x 7 (CL) = 10.500 GP.

Crafting cost however is halfed (as noted in the CRB). Also note that if a sorcerer created a wand, he'd have a higher minimum CL.

Q792 Do attack boni benefit CMB? Say, a Bless gives +1 on attack rolls, does this improve CMB?

MobiusHero
2014-01-08, 07:16 AM
Q793: Am i correct in understanding that DR 5/Evil means that you ignore 5 points of damage from everything but evil? or am i missing something here? It seems to me that a Paladin would get damage reduction against Evil but nothing else... not everything but Evil... kinda counter intuitive to me...

Dalebert
2014-01-08, 12:43 PM
Q 794
Yes. Format is
DR/<whatever can overcome the DR>
So you think a paladin should be more easily harmed by good-aligned weapons?

Psyren
2014-01-08, 01:37 PM
A792: Yes. CMB checks are attack rolls.

A793: Yes, that's what it means. Note that evil-aligned weapons don't just mean "any weapon wielded by an evil person" - it means weapons literally empowered by/aligned to evil, so those would logically have the corrupt power needed to pierce their aura.

(Of course, one could argue that those kinds of creatures are exactly the ones high-level Paladins are likely to end up fighting...)

Spore
2014-01-08, 04:11 PM
(Of course, one could argue that those kinds of creatures are exactly the ones high-level Paladins are likely to end up fighting...)

Well, but it sets the bad guy with the unholy sword apart from the ill-tempered bandit chief.

Q795 When we're dealing with paladins anyway: Does every natural attack of [evil]-Subtype enemies count as evil?

Giarc
2014-01-08, 04:20 PM
A 795 Yes.

Neknoh
2014-01-08, 09:40 PM
Q 796. Ninja.

When rolling a ninja, do you also pick a starting feat like other classes? If no, do you pick something else and how does the Human Bonus Feat work?

Q 797. Ninja.

Does a Ninja gain feats as she levels? Or are these replaced by the Ninja Tricks (some of which allow you to pick feats).

Plerumque
2014-01-08, 09:50 PM
Q788

Would readying an action to use the Conjurer's Shift (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/arcane-schools/paizo---arcane-schools/classic-arcane-schools/conjuration/teleportation) ability to teleport 5' away when targeted by a melee or ranged attack cause said attack to miss?

Repost, because I need to know the asnwer to this question. The life of a character may depend on it!

Dalebert
2014-01-09, 12:01 AM
A 796 & 797
Unless it specifically says somewhere in their description that they don't (I don't think so), they get the same feats that everyone else gets (1 at every odd level and 1 extra for being human) and those are in addition to class features like tricks.

Psyren
2014-01-09, 01:40 AM
All classes gain feats at every odd level. This is a baseline rule and so is not called out in any individual class entry.

A788: How are you readying a swift action? One of the balancing factors of swift actions is that there is no way to use one when it is not your turn, not even by readying.

Spore
2014-01-09, 04:19 AM
A797 rant Ninjas and Rogues are bad enough as is. If they got Rogue Talents INSTEAD of talents, you'd rather play an NPC class expert. :)

Acora
2014-01-09, 01:44 PM
Q798 Can a magical staff be used as the shaft for a polearm while still allowing casting from said staff?

Psyren
2014-01-09, 01:47 PM
Q798 Can a magical staff be used as the shaft for a polearm while still allowing casting from said staff?

While you're at it, why not rivet a chain between two wands and call them nunchucks? :smalltongue:

This is almost certainly a DM call.

Reinkai
2014-01-09, 03:52 PM
While you're at it, why not rivet a chain between two wands and call them nunchucks? :smalltongue:

This is almost certainly a DM call.

Let them snap back together and curve them a bit, add a string and you have a longbow-nunchuck staff! Throw a curved blade to the end and it's a scythe too! No limit to the amount of fun. :smallwink:

Karoht
2014-01-09, 06:13 PM
A798:
Because Improved Sunder VS an expensive staff is hilarious?

Actually, that can happen if it's a weapon or not, but remember that it is a bit of a concern.

Yeah, DM call on that one.

MrNobody
2014-01-09, 06:16 PM
Q 799 A barbarian with the Sprint rage power can run x6 as a full round action. If he has the Run feat it would improve to x7 or just use x6 which is higher than the multiplier given by the feat?

Psyren
2014-01-10, 12:52 AM
Because Improved Sunder VS an expensive staff is hilarious?

As an FYI, Mending/Make Whole can repair magic items in Pathfinder, so sunder isn't quite the showstopper (or self-defeating) tactic it was in 3.5.

A799: You use the Run action to activate Sprint so you will only get the 6x speed. In addition, without having the Run feat you will lose your Dex bonus to AC while sprinting (again, because you are using the run action.) If you use the charge action to sprint instead you will retain your Dex to AC.

Spore
2014-01-10, 09:47 AM
Q800 Can you Coup De Grace yourself? If not, is there a method to kill yourself in one round?

I am asking for a devoted oracle who would rather kill himself than be a prisoner of evil, be it demons, liches or aberrations.

Psyren
2014-01-10, 10:34 AM
A800: Sure, just target yourself with a CdG and then forego your fort save. You will need a weapon (or spell with an attack roll) that does lethal damage but that's it.

There aren't clear rules around this sensitive topic for obvious reasons.

Spore
2014-01-10, 04:07 PM
Q801 Q800 follow up: You can coup de grace with a spell?

Reinkai
2014-01-10, 04:16 PM
A801 Unless there's a later rule stating otherwise, no. The rules for coup de grace states that it is an attack delivered with a melee weapon or a bow/crossbow as long as you're next to the target.

If there's an addition to that, I'd love to know, since that has come up in my group before.

Dalebert
2014-01-10, 05:19 PM
Q800 Can you Coup De Grace yourself?

A 800 addendum

Yes but you'll grow hair on your palms.

Karoht
2014-01-10, 05:24 PM
As an FYI, Mending/Make Whole can repair magic items in Pathfinder, so sunder isn't quite the showstopper (or self-defeating) tactic it was in 3.5.Indeed. But it is still pretty funny to watch a caster react to having their staff (often quite expensive) shattered before their eyes.
(Sure, sundering a spellbook or a spell component pouch is probably more effective, but that big expensive money stick made of money is just hilarious to break)

TheOneHawk
2014-01-10, 06:54 PM
Q802 if I play a knife master rogue, then multicast into something else that gives sneak attack, are all of my dice d8 or are they split into d6 and d8?

Karoht
2014-01-10, 07:22 PM
Q802 if I play a knife master rogue, then multicast into something else that gives sneak attack, are all of my dice d8 or are they split into d6 and d8?
A802:
http://www.pathfindersrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/paizo---rogue-archetypes/knife-master
Relevant Text:

This ability is identical in all other ways to sneak attack, and supplements that ability.
Because it calls it out as supplementing the Sneak Attack, while stating that it is identical in all other ways, I as a DM would rule yes. Yes, if you multiclass into something that gets Sneak Attack (and says that it stacks with all other sources of Sneak Attack) then those dice are D8's as well.
Though I can see why another DM might maybe rule differently. RAW and RAI appears to be that it should convert all Sneak Attack Dice to D8's so long as it is Sneak Attack. There are some sources of precision damage that are also 1D6 and state that they stack with Sneak Attack as well (such as a Teamwork Feat), but since that comes from a non-sneak attack source, I would rule that those dice remain D6.

Naomi Li
2014-01-11, 12:14 AM
Q803 It's pretty clear that if an undead of a person is created (regardless of whether it binds their soul into the undead) they're unable to be resurrected. However, is the inverse also true?
Say Person A dies and is resurrected from a small part of the resulting corpse. Afterwards, Person B casts "Animate Dead" on the rest of the corpse in an attempt to make a skeleton. Does the spell function?
If it does work, and Person A later dies again, would the existing skeleton prevent their resurrection?

soulsabre345
2014-01-11, 01:46 AM
Q 804
Can you use weapon finesse with a Chakram (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/chakram-common) being used in melee?

Reinkai
2014-01-11, 07:45 AM
A804 Chakrams are martial weapons, not light, so no.

Naomi Li
2014-01-11, 07:53 AM
A804 Correction Chakrams being a martial weapon does not, in any way, make them non-light weapons. Simple/Martial/Exotic and Light/One-handed/Two-handed are completely different weapon scales. (Technically, so is melee/ranged) James Jacobs has said they count as light weapons. (Source... well, I have it, but the URL seems to be functioning oddly... following it from the original link I got brings me to it, but copying the URL and going there from it does not; here's what he said. "My take; a chakram is essentially the same thing as a starknife, but without the stabby parts. And since a starknife is a light weapon, it makes sense that a chakram would be too.")

MrNobody
2014-01-11, 08:48 AM
Q 805 Can I jump down the height reached with levitate spell to activate the effect of Death from above feat?
I'm not talking about dismissing the spell, which is a standard action and would prevent a charge. I'm thinking about a scene like an ambush where i levitate over a door, jumping down charging and activating the feat when the person i am waiting for enters the room.

Dimcair
2014-01-12, 10:20 AM
Q806

Summon Monster II or IV?

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/summon-monster#2nd-level
gives as alternative summon the Hellhound (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/hell-hound)

However looking at Summon Monster IV List (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/summon-monster#4th-level) the Hellhound shows up again. And it seems very strong for Summon Monster II. Is the source incorrect or correct? Can I summon a hellhound with Summon Monster II?

greetz,
Dimcair

Dimcair
2014-01-12, 10:33 AM
A 805

If your target is aware of you: No. Charge requires at least a standard action, so does dismissing a non-concentration spell. Even if you win initiative you won't be able to pull it off in the first round.

If your target is not aware of you, you are technically not in combat yet. Therefore you should be able to take every action you want as long as it doesn't trigger initiative being roled. Be aware though that your target could hear you dismissing the spell.

Spore
2014-01-12, 10:46 AM
A806 I think they're only available within the adventure path 29 for certain characters/npcs Being a CR 3 monster, it is a very fitting summon for a CR 5 encounter (with a 4th level summoner and a another CR 3 npc).

Dalebert
2014-01-12, 11:34 AM
A 805 Contention

The description of levitate "allows" you to levitate the target creature as desired for the duration. At any point during the duration, you don't have to be levitating it. You don't have to dismiss the spell. You can just choose to stop levitating and allow yourself to fall. You could later choose to start levitating again throughout the duration. That should at most be a move action since concentrating on using the levitate to make something go up or down (in a more controlled manner) is a move action.

Cieyrin
2014-01-12, 01:57 PM
A 805 refutation Given the stabilization rules that are in the next paragraph and that the move action is to move, not to stay in the air, I don't think you can just stop levitating whenever you feel like it. So no, you can't levitate to Dragoon whenever you please. Get Fly (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/f/fly) or equivalent, which is specifically called out as valid for activating Death from Above.

Acora
2014-01-12, 06:55 PM
Q807 Is there any way to gain class skills, apart from taking a level in a class that has said skills?

Dalebert
2014-01-12, 07:00 PM
A 807
Yes. Check out traits. These represent aspects of your character's past and personality that can give bonuses and/or access to certain skills as class skills. For example, I have a ratfolk with Beast Bond. It gives you +1 with ride and handle animal and you can pick one of those to be a class skill.

Psyren
2014-01-12, 07:04 PM
A807: Traits are the easiest and most common way (e.g. Fast-Talker.) some feats (like Noble Scion) can do this as well, and even certain races (e.g. Drow with the Ambitious Schemer racial.)

Acora
2014-01-12, 07:11 PM
A 807
Yes. Check out traits. These represent aspects of your character's past and personality that can give bonuses and/or access to certain skills as class skills. For example, I have a ratfolk with Beast Bond. It gives you +1 with ride and handle animal and you can pick one of those to be a class skill.
Oh, I didn't even think to check traits. I didn't see any relevant feats, but I'll be sure to check traits.

JoeYounger
2014-01-12, 10:49 PM
Q:808

Can you use the perception skill to pinpoint the square an invisible creature is standing in based off of sound?

Psyren
2014-01-13, 12:05 AM
Q:808

Can you use the perception skill to pinpoint the square an invisible creature is standing in based off of sound?

A808: Perception covers all 5 senses in Pathfinder, with the DM given liberty to assign circumstance bonuses (or penalties) depending on the specific sense you are attempting to use to detect someone. A motionless invisible creature is nearly impossible to pick up on, getting +40 to stealth on top of his regular modifiers, but it is theoretically possible if you are capable of boosting your check that high.

Extremely heightened/specialized hearing (i.e. echolocation, blindsense/blindsight in other words) can be used to pinpoint invisible and motionless creatures by bypassing the need for a check.

Acora
2014-01-13, 03:01 PM
Q809 When buying a magic weapon, do you need to pay the cost to make it masterwork in addition to the cost to make it magical, or is that included in the enchantment cost.

Dalebert
2014-01-13, 03:08 PM
A 809
You always have to start with a masterwork weapon to enchant it so if you're paying to have a custom item made, the MW weapon cost would be in addition to the enchantment cost.

Karoht
2014-01-13, 07:20 PM
A808: Perception covers all 5 senses in Pathfinder, with the DM given liberty to assign circumstance bonuses (or penalties) depending on the specific sense you are attempting to use to detect someone. A motionless invisible creature is nearly impossible to pick up on, getting +40 to stealth on top of his regular modifiers, but it is theoretically possible if you are capable of boosting your check that high.

Extremely heightened/specialized hearing (i.e. echolocation, blindsense/blindsight in other words) can be used to pinpoint invisible and motionless creatures by bypassing the need for a check.
A808: Addendum
Conceal Scent will remove the ability to locate someone based on Scent, while Dampen Presence will remove the ability to use Blindsight.

Also, Scent is pretty easy to fool using Prestidigitation, if you are clever about it.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/dampen-presence
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/conceal-scent

Psyren
2014-01-13, 09:07 PM
A808: Addendum
Conceal Scent will remove the ability to locate someone based on Scent, while Dampen Presence will remove the ability to use Blindsight.

We got Darkstalker back? Guess I have another book for the shopping list :smallbiggrin:

TheOneHawk
2014-01-14, 11:14 AM
Q 810The Goblin favoured class bonus for rogue is 'Add a +1 bonus on the rogue's sneak attack damage rolls during the surprise round or before the target has acted in combat.'

Is this a bonus per dice or per sneak attack as a whole?

Psyren
2014-01-14, 11:22 AM
A810: Actually it's per hit. Regardless of how much sneak attack you have, you only roll damage once per hit; each time you land a hit that meets the two stipulated conditions (sneak attack is successful + target has not acted yet or it's the surprise round) you add the bonus to your damage roll for that hit.